3.6/5 (379 ratings)

About Tesla Energy

Tesla’s mission is to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy. We design and manufacture solar generation, energy storage and software products to enable homeowners to power their daily lives with sustainable energy. With Solar Roof, solar panel and Powerwall installations growing across the US, our customers are reducing their reliance on the grid, lowering their carbon impact and producing clean energy from the greatest resource we share.

Find Solar Energy Companies partners near you

Pros

• Good warranty
    • 24/7 access to backup power
    • Sleek design

Cons

• High upfront costs

Bottom Line

Tesla solar panel designs are modern and aesthetically pleasing. Tesla solar roof tiles are up to three times stronger than traditional roof tiles. Upfront costs are high, but the warranty exceeds industry standards.

Top Tesla Energy Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Choosing Tesla Energy was an easy and simple decision. ... I didn't have to tighten a single screw myself after the installation and I still haven't needed to. The whole thing cam...

Verified

While the price seems to be a bit higher, at least in my experience, the overall quality is absolutely worth it. I have no concerns about anything not working or breaking after a ...

What is Tesla Energy?

Tesla Energy has quickly become a leader in the solar industry with innovative products like solar panels, inverters, Tesla Powerwalls for solar storage and an app that lets you monitor your service from a mobile device. Tesla Solarglass roof tiles offer a sleek and durable way to convert sunlight into reusable energy seamlessly.

Tesla solar panels are low profile, have no visible grid and attach tightly to your roof and each other for a sleek and unassuming aesthetic. These innovative solar panels are durable and covered by a strong warranty, but they may not be the best option for homeowners who want a cost-effective solar system. Customers also have numerous complaints about the company's customer service.

Tesla solar costs

Depending on the size of your home and the amount of solar power production you need, Tesla solar systems cost anywhere between $6,068 and $24,272.

SizesPrice before incentivesPrice after incentives
    Small (12 panels — 4.08 kW)$8,200$6,068
    Medium (24 panels — 8.16 kW)$16,400$12,136
    Large (36 panels — 12.24 kW)$24,600$18,204
    X-large (48 panels — 16.32 kW)$32,800$24,272

Tesla solar installation

It typically only takes one day for Tesla to complete a residential installation, but it may take the company’s technicians two or more days to install large or extra-large panels. Your home's power is only out for one to three hours during installation. Someone 18 years old or older must be present when the technicians install equipment inside your home.

Tesla solar warranty

Tesla Energy offers an impressive warranty program for its solar panels. The panels are covered by a manufacturer’s warranty, and Tesla also includes a 12-year workmanship guarantee. The inverter comes with a 10-year manufacturer’s warranty, and the installation is guaranteed to be free from defects for 20 years.

Tesla FAQ

How do Tesla solar panels work?

Tesla solar panels capture the sunlight and convert it into electricity by running it through an inverter. By using the Tesla app, you can monitor your energy usage on any mobile device. If your panels produce more energy than your house needs, you can keep the excess energy in a Tesla Powerwall, which is a rechargeable home battery.

How much is a Tesla Powerwall?

The cost for two Powerwalls and the supporting hardware is around $11,000. This price doesn't include solar installation, taxes or permit fees. Tesla recommends buying two Powerwalls for homes smaller than 4,000 square feet. Your final design and price are based on your home energy usage and where you would like your Powerwall installed. The Powerwall is self-charging and can provide your home with seven days of energy during an outage.

What solar panels does Tesla use?

Tesla uses black panels with proprietary hardware that fastens the array on your roof without gaps or the need for large racks. Tesla partners with Panasonic to manufacture the panels in the Tesla Gigafactory 2. SolarCity merged with Tesla in 2016 and now offers energy storage services through Tesla.

Where are Tesla solar panels made?

Tesla manufactures its solar panels at the Tesla Gigafactory 2 in Buffalo, New York.

Are Tesla solar panels worth it?

Tesla Energy produces high-quality solar panels covered by a generous warranty, but the company’s customer reviews state that it isn't very responsive to complaints and issues. Tesla Energy products may be worth it if you are already considering a roof replacement and can pay the relatively steep upfront costs.

Tesla Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tesla Energy?

Original review: March 10, 2022

I finally went with the Tesla Solar Roof (tiles not panels) and I couldn't be happier. I needed a new roof anyway so decided to get it with 2 PowerWall backup batteries. The product looks amazing and IMO is the best looking solar product on the market right now. You cannot tell you have solar tiles at all. From a distance it looks like slate. Very smart. The install crew were amazing! They battled bad weather including freezing temps, rain, wind and snow in NJ in Feb/March! It did not deter them, and they got it done on time and were communicative the whole time. Shout out to Martin ** & Jimmy ** and their whole crew! Their electricians are also very detail oriented and do a great job of hiding things as best they can. The Powerwalls work seamlessly and the app showing usage is mesmerizing. You cannot tell when you are on battery versus, solar versus grid. No flickering, stuttering or anything. Just seamless power delivery. Highly impressive!

Some things to keep in mind: I will say that Tesla's solar product line and what they do/do not support is changing by the minute, definitely get things clear with your project supervisor. For instance, I have 5 skylights and originally was told they would replace them for me. Then was told they don't do that service anymore. But eventually they honored it because of when I originally put in my inquiry.

Also their engineers will probably design the roof around protrusions without suggesting they be moved, as they don't want to handle the moving of them, such as vent pipes. So definitely suggest those things and get them taken care of by another roofing contractor before the install starts and it could mean more usable roof real estate. I also got upgraded to the latest tiles that are a higher wattage, so the size of my system went up. It's bleeding edge tech and so is changing all the time. So far, I have been very impressed with the people and the technology and would highly recommend Tesla Energy.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2022

Our Tesla Solar system has been an adventure for us. I am very happy that we went with Tesla even though there are improvement areas they need to address, especially related to consumer experience. We absolutely love the look of the Tesla solar panels (nobody else comes close) and the features of the Powerwall+ equipment (best API in the industry which makes it expandable). In typical Tesla fashion, the design is stunning, next level technology and feels like quality. With our Tesla system, we are now powering our home with an ancient but reliable and self-regulating, thermonuclear fusion reactor… our sun. It is performing extremely well and we are looking forward to many years of green energy.

If you select Tesla Solar, my advice is to plan on being the project manager. Stay on top of all the details, be proactive to keep things just like you want them and moving along. Unfortunately, due to the great price and product, the Tesla project advisors are overloaded and seem to be too busy to help you at times. They rarely respond in a timely fashion. But when they do, they are friendly and helpful. The long spans and dropped balls along the way can be frustrating. Being hands on will help you stay on track and get even more out of the investment. Believe me, the outcome is worth the effort.

To be fair, I had the pleasure of meeting several Tesla employees and technicians that were incredibly helpful and experts in their trade. The installers and quality assurance engineering team members were top notch. Overall, I believe Tesla is ahead of the curve when it comes to making solar energy accessible, practical and even delightful! Highly recommended. Our full adventure is chronicled here: **.

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2021

I went through the process with a different installer and ended up backing out and going with Tesla. I love how the panels integrate with the car app and how you get a visualization of the power as it moves in and out of your home. The power graphs are awesome and I love needing out on seeing my daily rates. Installers and team were very professional and nice. The panels look very sleek and the inverter looks classy. They put the panels on the roof where they weren't visible from the front (per request). Where I can see them from the side, they look amazing. Honestly kinda regret not putting them in the front to show them off, but it's pretty awesome they provide that option.

Tesla had cheapest price per watt in my area. By far. Happy with the process, features and look. Long term I'll see how their support and panels hold up, so no feedback there as it's a new install. My one complaint is that they are no longer selling batteries as a standalone product. I opted out of the power wall (despite really wanting it) to keep the costs lower. I would like to get one after I pay off the system and when home battery technology has improved - but might have to go with a diff brand if they don't change their policy by then. Or I may just buy additional panels then with the batteries. Overall, very pleased. Only knock is the battery policy, so I hope they change that - would like to include that in the future even if it's not discounted or whatever. My wife is already annoyed at me for checking that power app every hour.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

The entire process and experience with Tesla Energy has been fabulous. The initial online submission for the Solar Roof was painless and there was ample voice and email communication to gather the required information for sizing the system. The turnaround time for the initial design and proposal took a few months and there was quick rework based on feedback from me, then the project manager.

The scheduling of the project was quick and within a couple weeks the crew was onsite with an estimated completion time of 2 weeks. The crew was amazing! They were a delight to work with and to have around as they crafted the intricate Solar Roof. They followed all safety protocols and were extremely careful around the property, keeping everything clean and neat every day. You couldn't ask for a more pleasant group of young men!

The Solar Roof itself is spectacular! It is a stunning look and it is a major attraction in the neighborhood. But more importantly we are already seeing significant offset to our energy utilization, which is easy to monitor with the Tesla app. The entire project was completed in the 2 weeks! We highly recommend the Tesla Solar Roof if you're looking to install a solar system - especially if you're contemplating or need a new roof.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2021

Updated on 08/09/2021: Everyone knows Tesla solar panel and power walls - I agreed that they are fine product but the issue is always with people who are handling them. I am glad that I ordered solar panel and power wall (2ea) and they are working great but panel installation crew did fine job over all with panel installation except one panel’s screw (securing panel to roof) was loose that I was able to lift it with my finger (wow) and not so good with clean up and found two damaged roof tiles - even though they replaced some damaged roof tiles - they still left some damaged tiles as they were and did even bother to let me know. It was verrry shocking experience.

I am sure Tesla will fix that but why can they do better job (installation) by fixing it before customer found the messy and so upset with it and affects customer’s future buying decisions on their products. But I liked the electricians (3 gentlemen ) who did great job - installed power wall and electrical boxes.

Original Review: I really recommend this company for your solar panel and power walls. You must have power walls with solar panel. Crew came on time and completed job within time frame. You cannot go wrong with Tesla.

Tesla Energy response

Thank you for your feedback and we apologize for any inconvenience. We understand your concern and are actively working towards a solution for your issue.

Original review: May 18, 2022

We are very thankful for our Tesla Power Walls and especially the efforts of Stacey **, Specialist, Las Vegas, NV who patiently answered my questions, guided me through detailed steps in a way I could fully understand, she's a true teacher - kind, thoughtful and very knowledgeable in her skill set. She is terrific at her job. You can tell she likes and is interested in her work so much that she made it fun for me to understand. Great technical and customer service. She is definitely management material if she isn't already. A++++++

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: May 12, 2022

Received an invoice from an address in Calif. Got a call three weeks later wanting me to stop payment, at my cost, and send payment to somewhere else. I love the product. I am appalled at the billing professionalism.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: May 11, 2022

I got Tesla Solar panels installed, inspected and fully paid in Nov 2021. It is mid-May 2022 now and my system is still NOT powered on. Extreme delays at the Tesla department which processes applications with utility company and no point of escalation. "Project Advisors" are of no use in this situation. They have very little info and no points for escalation. Their supervisors have no control, voice and way to communicate with the team processing the utility applications. They cannot even tell where I stand in the queue of applicants.

Also, they cannot even compensate for the utility bills I am paying as a result of Tesla delays. I shouldn't be paying peak summer electric bills as I have a fully paid solar system sitting on my roof but it is not operational due to Tesla delays. After several weeks of chatting with their Project advisors, I was told today that it might take another 2+ months to get my system working. Which means I will be paying peak summer electric bills even with a fully paid solar system sitting on my roof. This is ridiculous! Anyone thinking of solar investment, please DO NOT consider Tesla or wait until Tesla figures out the situation with their backlog processing.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: May 10, 2022

Besides the long wait time which I can understand (shortage of parts or whatever) everything was okay until they take the down payment. They install the system and then require payment and will not turn on the system until then. So naturally I paid them. That's when everything goes downhill. They literally will not answer any calls or messages. They complete ghosted me. READ THE REVIEWS PEOPLE. I didn't and that was my mistake. I have a Tesla vehicle and made the mistake thinking the service would be the same. IT'S NOT.

Avoid Tesla Energy Solar at all cost. Go with anyone else or you'll be in the position am in. Out the money with no functioning solar to show for it. I have started to paperwork with Arizona Attorney General Mark Brnovich. At this point I can only assume they will never turn it on and I've been scammed out of tens of thousands of dollars.

Original review: May 6, 2022

It's such a great experience to have Powerwall installed and activated with our Solar panels. It's the same Tesla app we can both manage Tesla cars and visualize our energy production and consumption. We were told by the installer that Tesla Powerwall and especially its software are the best in the industry of backup batteries. Now we have convinced! In terms of Powerwall as a battery, there're a few others with similar features. But Powerwall battery management software absolutely the best. It makes energy storage and energy consumption back and forth smoothly, with no downtime. Again Tesla app visualizes everything. It's fun! Thank you, Tesla, for acquiring Solar City years ago, and together making the world greener.

Find a Solar Energy partner near you.

Tesla Energy Company Information