2. Solar Energy

4.5/5 (358 ratings)

About SunPower

Changing the way our world is powered by making solar and storage more accessible to everyone. SunPower is a solar company that provides reliable energy solutions for homeowners and businesses with the most comprehensive warranty in the solar industry. Known for its top-quality and high-efficiency solar panels, SunPower solutions have the ability to generate more power than conventional solar technologies.

Pros

• Long warranty
    • Variety of financing solutions
    • Broad U.S. dealer network

Cons

• PPAs for commercial clients only

Bottom Line

SunPower offers the world's first 400 watt solar panels, which use less space. The company offers competitive lease and loan products, its solar panels are guaranteed to not lose more than 8% DC power production over 25 years.

SunPower Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?

Original review: Dec. 30, 2015

All transactions from beginning to end were very professional. Enjoyed the experience a great deal. Would surely do it all again. Installation was a breeze and financing was not nearly as scary as expected.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2015

I was a bit nervous and didn't know what to expect, but everyone was very friendly, informative, and helpful. I got a solar panel installed on my roof and it is energy saving and affordable (sort of). They helped me decide on the right product for me and obtain reasonable financing. Installation was easy, as there were capable people sent to do the job. I am happy with the experience, over all, and will be doing business with them again, in the future.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2015

It saves money and can also generate electricity back into the grid. Installation is easy, very simple set. Great new source of energy. I like the new shingle solar panels that act as shingles for your roof, you get both sides of the sun. Really interested in that. Other than that the experience of seeing it done and the benefits is a great thing. That I am positive of.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2015

I am very pro-environment and this step felt necessary to take as someone who believes that way. I appreciate the lack of guilt I now experience when I flip on the light or use the microwave. The sun is creating this electricity, not some coal burning somewhere.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2015

This is a major decision when purchasing these products. I would suggest studying the finance all aspect and your budget to see if this is the right decision for you and your family.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2015

The installation took a little longer due to the company incorrectly measuring the installation company. The financing was fine. The monthly savings are nice, payback will take a limitless longer than I like.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2015

My family used this company in our old house and it worked fine! The reviews were average for SunPower but it worked well for our household. There was no need on relying on external fuel sources. Installation was quick and easy!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2015

Good for low cost, makes people happy, good source of energy, would recommend to other people looking for lost cost power that's not running on a lot of energy.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2015

It was pretty great. I am new to the area of the awesome solar power, but am loving it more and more. I am proud to say I will be doing more and more to keep it green after my experience.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2015

Highest efficiency panels and a seriously great team we got to work with through the process. Customer service is amazing. Highest quality installation.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2015

Reliable, solid company. Very friendly customer service. Prompt answers to questions. I was skeptical about solar companies, but the company answered all my questions to my satisfaction. The installation was quick and painless.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2015

The whole process was easier than first imagined. When completed I was satisfied. Everything was explained to me beforehand and how the process would unfold. The workman understood their job and a quality job was performed. Now I am saving money and look forward to my future savings.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2015

I have bought products and services from solar energy company and I'm very very satisfied whit this. They are so professionals, I feel I help to care the planet with this decision and I recommended to all my family and friends. It's very innovated, very new and is not dangerous for the planet.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2015

Shopping around was a bit difficult but upon settling on company I realized I made the right choice. Between financing, customer service and the overall feel, I would rate them highly.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2015

I was overcome with all the thing they had almost neighing electrol and how easy it is to install. I know a little about electrol so it was very enjoyable for me to install, put some lights along my driveway and some lights that look like snowflakes, and for the summer look like flowers bout, a big lighting system for my hunting cabin. It's easy to put up when I am there and put away when I am not there then I put some panels on my home to help with my electric heat bill. The people at the store are so helpful. P.S. I spent a lot.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2015

This was very easy to install and I live on a big hill and always get a lot of sun and wind. This products really warmed up my porch with power from the sun. It made it at least 20 degrees warmer in my home and cooler in the summer. I love it.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2015

Great company, good ideas, and is like the Apple of the solar energy world. Would recommend to everyone. A solid green energy alternative. Customer service was great, installation was smooth, and my financing options were reasonable.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2015

It was a great experience. The experts helped me find exactly what I needed. The prices were great. Now with my new panels my electric bill has decreased and I feel better using solar energy.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2015

I installed some solar panels on my home and was happily surprised by the easy installation and the end results. The price was a bit high but I had been saving for some five years. The research I did online and the company representatives were a great help in my project. In about 1 or 2 years, I plan on installing more solar power energy efficiency panels in my other home. I will rent it out and save more money.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2015

A useful and great thing to have. Very good for my family and environment. Thank you for providing this great product and company. I look forward to future business for years to come. You have a lifelong customer in me.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2015

It's a great product. It pays for itself, helps us improve the quality of air we breathe, and increases the value of our home. It's no wonder everyone that I know that went solar is pleased they did. Our installation went very smoothly and electric generation performance met all our expectations. We're very fortunate to have our solar power, and the saving it provides us.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2015

I had SunPower solar panels installed by a local installer 3 months ago. The installer did a good job and the panels produce a lot of power. There was a $1,500 rebate that I qualified for that I submitted at the end of August with 6-8 weeks for receipt of my rebate. It has now been 12 weeks since my rebate was recognized as complete and after 4 telephone conversations I am no closer to receiving my rebate than I was when I sent it. They tell me I will receive it by a certain day and that day comes and goes. I get one answer from SunPower and another answer from the processing company. I was told that my installer was not an approved installer but when I look at SunPower's own website they are listed as a Platinum partner.

This is just an egregious example of trying to delay and defer payment of my rebate. This practice is despicable and I don't really believe anything these people tell me anymore. I would stay away from them. I wouldn't count on any rebates they promise you. This has not been worth the stress, lies, delays and disrespect. I am shocked at this, it was an expensive system, not a $4 tube of toothpaste from a discount store. I expected more integrity.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2015

Entered a lease agreement with Sunpower with the understanding that cost per kwh would be reduced. After 2.5 years of operation, the Sunpower facility under-produces the contract guarantee. There is no prospect, because of physical limitations, for the system to come into compliance with the guarantee in the future. More importantly, during 2013 Edison power was delivered at an average cost of 0.258$/kwh. After including maintenance cost, 21 Sunpower panels produced power at at a cost of 0.479$/kwh. Including nominal maintenance cost the total cost of power in 2013 was $8708. In 2012 with total power usage the same as 2013, using Edison power alone, the total cost was $6456. The addition of the Sunpower facility is an unacceptable burden.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2015

We love our SunPower panels and the customer service is amazing. So thankful we made the choice to lease with them. Can't wait to get them installed on our rental property. Highest efficiency panels and a seriously great team we got to work with through the process. Thank you!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2015

If you finance with them, they will put a lien on your home should you want to refinance or sell. It should just be for their equipment but it will still show up as a lien on your home title. SunPower is very slow to work with your bank to do what they call a temporary termination of the lien during any transaction with your home. DON'T DO! I owned my home and wanted to use a cash out and they delayed the closing. If not happy, file compliant with any financing arrangement with Consumer Financial Protection Board. Also, don't buy in the summer because it take months before they can get it approved by local energy supplier and inspectors. Do not use the program that adds it to your taxes either.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2015

Do NOT lease with SunPower. They tried to bamboozle me with making payments for the former owners of my new house. When we got a roof leak, they did not respond to any calls to get the panels off. We had to call an attorney. When they did finally call back after 3 weeks with the attorney involved, they told us they could remove and replace the panels for $6,000. I have all the emails that show their incompetence and trickery. Do your homework before you sign ANYTHING with SunPower.

Original review: April 27, 2015

In short SunPower and their local dealer SunCommon were negligent in our installation. Initial delays notwithstanding there was never any mention of the potential for personal injury or property damage, nor were the commonly available preventative measures discussed. In year 1 we lost our gutters, after involving BBB and state authorities Dealer agreed to pay $800 for repairs verbally, we got $400. 24 hours after clearing deck with my children snow come crashing down causing extensive property damage. Had that occurred when we were out there my children could have been injured.

I sought a claims adjuster to set scope of work as SP and SC agreed to cover damage. At no time did we intend to file a claim. Now we are effectively being accused of conspiring to commit insurance fraud by double dipping. I asked that system lease be paid out or that it be removed and home restored to original condition. They have refused and rescinded offer to cover damages. Why is full disclosure not required of these "cowboys"? I do not have the funds to sue and have yet to find an attorney interested in taking this as a contingency case. Help!

Original review: March 13, 2015

Initially I was torn between the world's best technology and the world's most horrible review which I couldn't understand. I investigated the review in more depth and interviewed the home owners and it turns out that SunPower was the manufacturer of the panels and the home owner did not know the install company. The search continues. I called SunPower and it turns out that the company was an install partner almost like SunPower was the bank and the install companies were brokers, that was enough for me to go to SunPower directly which it turns out that is what their inside sales company is named, SunPower Direct.

I called in and spoke to a SunPower agent and they were very knowledgeable, and asked me a lot of questions about my lifestyle i.e. do I use more night or day energy. They asked if I know how much I am paying for electricity and educated me about PG&E and the rates over the last decade. The SP agent helped me get my usage, and set me up with a consultation time and date that worked for me.

The next day the ** the direct energy consultant came on time. He was great. He asked me many questions about why I am looking to go solar, how long I have been looking, have I looked with any other companies, asked about my lifestyle, and where I worked - I didn't know that SunPower works with a many companies in the valley) and it turns out because I work at Brocade I received a $2000.00 rebate which was great. He went over the SunPower tech and showed me how SunPower panels are the most efficient panels in the world and produce 75% more energy than traditional panels over 25 years. ** said if you are going to go solar you are better going all the way. SunPower panels are designed to wake up earlier, work harder, and work late into the evening, when other panels quit. I was sold!

** took laser measurements and pictures. He measured the angles of my roof, and took pictures of my main service panel and my sub panel. We went in my house and he was the only solar guy who took his shoes off without me asking. He asked me for my last 12 months electricity usage and based on my that’s plus my roof orientation, and trees and chimneys. He designed the system right then and there and gave me the SunPower price. Result: 12/345 X-21 Modules designed at Stanford University by Richard M Swanson and his Electra.

To my surprise the SunPower system used 20% fewer panels than the SolarCity, sunrun, and sungevity systems. I look at the solar system as an energy grid, so I want to know how much it produces and for how long it will produce those numbers. To my surprise the SunPower system produced 7100kWh of electricity annually and it is guaranteed to only depreciate by .25% annually. I am all about function so power was what I was after so he recommended X-21 345 watt panels and according to my bill I use an average of 650 watts per month. The SunPower (4.14kW 12/345 watt X-21 modules) which produces 7100 kWh annually.

Overall: The SunPower system has 8 less panels, yet produces 7,100kWh or 2170 kWh more that the nest best. Plus SunPower boast the worlds best 25 year product and power warranty, this means if anything on the system breaks, malfunctions, or underproduces we go there to replace. System was 20% smaller than the Solar City (4.9kW 20/ 245 watt Trina modules), Sun Run (4.89kW 19/255 watt REC modules), and Sun Gevity (4.95kW 19/275 watt LG modules) all these systems produce at minus 6845 kWh annually with SunPower producing.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2015

We had solar panels installed by Ross Solar (CT) in Feb 2014. We have a 20 yr. lease with Sun Power that we pay $67.61/month. Over the last 2 months, our PSEG electric bills have doubled. Sun Power has admitted that our system is operating at 51%. Ross Solar NEVER, NEVER returns our calls. Sun Power has told us they are investigating, yet 2 months have gone by and still nothing has been fixed. We are so done with both companies!! HELP!

SunPower Company Information