2. Solar Energy

4.5/5 (358 ratings)

About SunPower

Changing the way our world is powered by making solar and storage more accessible to everyone. SunPower is a solar company that provides reliable energy solutions for homeowners and businesses with the most comprehensive warranty in the solar industry. Known for its top-quality and high-efficiency solar panels, SunPower solutions have the ability to generate more power than conventional solar technologies.

Pros

• Long warranty
    • Variety of financing solutions
    • Broad U.S. dealer network

Cons

• PPAs for commercial clients only

Bottom Line

SunPower offers the world's first 400 watt solar panels, which use less space. The company offers competitive lease and loan products, its solar panels are guaranteed to not lose more than 8% DC power production over 25 years.

Top SunPower Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

… Our experience enrolling was the best. Everybody that showed up from Ambrose Solar was knowledgeable and friendly. They said when they were gonna do it and they did exactly what...

Verified

… The enrollment was easy. The company that was installing it did all the legwork… The customer service reps explained everything and how everything went. Everything ran smoothly ...

What is SunPower?

SunPower is a solar energy company. It offers a full line of residential and commercial solutions to help you receive the maximum benefit of renewable solar energy. The company upgrades your home or business with some of the highest wattage solar panels available from any solar company.

Solar panels arrive on-site with factory-integrated microinverters that allow for faster installation. Local SunPower solar dealers understand the building and permitting codes in your area and provide customized services.

SunPower solar panels and equipment

SunPower's solar panels are durable and efficient. The panels use Maxeon cells, which have a unique solid copper foundation that adds strength and resists corrosion, outlasting conventional cells. SunPower offers four series of solar panels:

• A-Series: The SunPower A-Series solar panels deliver up to 22.3% efficiency and 400 watts. The Maxeon Gen 5 solar cells are 65% larger than previous generations, so they’re able to convert more sunlight into electricity.
    • X-Series: Built with anti-reflective glass that reduces glare, X-Series panels deliver up to 22.7% efficiency and are an excellent option when available roof space is limited.
    • E-Series: The SunPower E-Series panels deliver up to 20% efficiency and are available in wattages of 320, 327 and 435. The E-Series is 36% more powerful per panel than conventional panels, according to SunPower.
    • P-Series: Specifically designed for large commercial projects, these panels are durable and consistently achieve high results in reliability tests. Their unique parallel circuit design produces more energy in cases of row-to-row shading. P-Series panels deliver up to 19% efficiency over the first 25 years of operation and are available in a range of 380 to 400 watts.

SunPower mounting systems

SunPower designs its own mounting solutions, which are compatible with its panels and have an emphasis on superior looks and ease of installation.

• InvisiMount: SunPower’s rail-based mounting system, with an all-black design, is adapted for most roof slopes and types. InvisiMount parts are 70% less visible than other comparable mounting systems.
    • OneRoof: A roof-integrated solar mounting solution for new homes, OneRoof is both a high-quality metal roof product and a solar mounting system. It integrates flush with the roof while providing enough air circulation to ensure peak performance from the panels.

SunPower cost

SunPower solar energy systems typically cost between $3.20 and $4.50 per watt. Altogether, a 6-kilowatt system from SunPower can cost up to $30,000 or more before incentives.

With SunPower, you can purchase a residential system outright, pay with a loan or lease a system. The company offers solar financing options with $0 down for eligible homeowners. Purchasing allows you to take advantage of tax credits and other incentives.

For the most accurate SunPower solar panel prices, get a quote online or contact an authorized SunPower dealer.

SunPower warranty

The SunPower Complete Confidence Warranty covers any repairs or replacements your solar power system needs for 25 years. In addition to solar panels, the warranty also covers microinverters and racking. SunPower guarantees your panels will not lose more than 8% of their original power output in that 25-year period, which ensures your solar energy system stays efficient and produces the power your home needs.

SunPower also covers monitoring technology for 10 years. The Complete Confidence Warranty covers shipping, parts and labor from a certified installation contractor.

SunPower FAQ

Where are SunPower solar panels made?
    SunPower’s solar panels are manufactured in the United States, Mexico, the Philippines and Malaysia.
    Does SunPower offer energy monitoring?
    Yes. The mySunPower mobile app lets customers view real-time energy production and usage (when usage meters are compatible) and provides historical data to estimate energy savings.
    What does the SunPower app do?
    SunPower’s app lets customers monitor how much energy their solar energy system is producing, their consumption and any system issues, such as Wi-Fi connectivity issues.
    Does SunPower provide energy storage?
    Yes, SunPower provides energy storage to both residential and commercial customers. The Helix battery storage system lets customers manage their energy use and increase savings. Helix storage works with commercial solar panels or independently to maximize energy savings by further reducing energy costs.

The company's new residential storage offering, SunPower SunVault, is a sleek solution that provides homeowners with peace of mind when there is a power outage. However, it is currently available only in select markets.

Where can I buy SunPower solar panels?
    You can buy SunPower solar panels directly from SunPower or through authorized SunPower dealer partners.

Is SunPower a good company?

We think SunPower is a smart choice for homeowners interested in solar panels. The solar energy company offers an excellent and comprehensive line of solar products and services to its customers, including state-of-the-art solar panels and cells backed by one of the best warranties in the industry.

SunPower Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

The actual solar part was great, except for the fact that after it was installed, I was told that the system will not support the air conditioner starting. I wasn't happy about that. It's all because it is a 120-volt system and an air conditioner requires a full 240 or a higher amount of voltage to kickstart. So the starting part is not going to happen with this system on the batteries alone. That's why my bill is still about $100, but my PG&E bill is not $300 or $400 like it would be since I've been running the AC all summer long.

The hook-up of the system was difficult. The installation crew had to make several trips and they needed the inspection, and the inspection found that they needed a ground wire. So then, that had to be installed. During the entire process, they changed their mind about placement. So then, more holes were dug for conduit boxes, and during that process, my septic system stopped working. It started overflowing into my backyard. I thought it was two separate events, but it wasn't. It had something to do with the guys fiddling around with the boxes and a fuse trip. One little tiny fuse needed to be turned back on and because it wasn't turned on, my septic system didn't work for months.

When I called the company, they came out and said, "Well, we don't understand what's wrong. Everything's working fine." Then they said, "Well, whatever the solar people did, they need to fix it." So the solar people came back two weeks later and they looked around and said, "Well, they can't find anything wrong with anything. Everything's fine." A week or so later, I had to call the septic guy back, and then he found that there was a fuse that has been tripped and it just needed to be reset. Then my septic system started working again. So that part wasn't cool.

Since I'm new to all this and I'm totally ignorant to the financing and the installation, I did not understand and fully appreciate the fact that I have to pay one-quarter of the full amount within the first 18 months or I will be charged an extra $100 a month for the remainder of the loan. That part wasn't fully explained. It's like an extra little caveat of the financing part. So once I understood that, it was great, because now, I know I have to pay $12,000 before September 2022 or an extra $100 is going to be tacked on to my financing as a fee alone for the remainder of the loan. So, $47,000 is going to turn into $70,000 very fast.

I have the $244 payment each month, and I thought that goes towards the loan. But I found out that the $244 a month is only the interest. If I want to pay towards the payment of the loan, I have to make that payment separate. So now, I'm trying to pay $1,244. This month has been kind of hard, so I haven't done it because I had a bunch of vet bills. So there was my solar $1,000 payment for this month. But as long as I keep paying it off like this or if I can pay $1,200 a month for the next four years, it'll get paid off.

The people from SunPower had to make a lot of trips back and forth. Every couple of weeks, it was, "Hi, we're from SunPower. We just need to check something." Then the next week, "Hi, I'm the supervisor," and then, "Hi, I'm the project manager." I was like, "Hi. When are you guys are just gonna do it?" But if I was to do it again, I would stick with SunPower because it's still the highest rated company and it's got the best reviews.

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2021

I looked at various rating programs and technical data and it became evident that SunPower seemed to have pretty much the best solar panels available as far as watts per panel. It's probably 100 watts per panel more than it used to be five years ago. We also like the idea of a single supplier providing all the parts. I'm a retired engineer, so I kinda understand if you have parts from different manufacturers coming together, there are always potential problems and finger pointing. Based on the technical information I saw in a packet, we could get a total composite solution from SunPower and that was kind of the deciding factor.

The physical installation went pretty good with our contractor, Sheffield Solar. But it was a little bit complex because we have a shop in a house and we wanted the panels on the shop because of greater sun availability. A part of it was PG&E seemed to be very unresponsive as far as getting the approval. We viewed the PUC and the PG&E articles and they mentioned a 30-day approval cycle. But we were over 90 days once the physical installation was complete before we finally got authorization from PG&E to connect the system. Our contactor responded to all their requests, but they kept asking questions that should have been asked for quite a while.

With the equipment and the overall app overview, we're very happy. It's just the lack of response from SunPower's customer service phone line we have issues with. The initial customer service contact for SunPower is a pity. It's about as low as you can get. We couldn't get any information from the app and I kept telling them our Wi-Fi has been up and we have other devices that we have not had a problem with but they kept saying it was a Wi-Fi problem. The also said they would check into it and give us information either via mail or a phone call. But we never did hear anything back from the three different customer service reps. We finally contacted their local contractor and when he was contacting the initial customer service phone number, he had the same response that we did. But he knew who he had to get ahold of. He went through and got through the the second or third level of technical experts to get the problem solved.

Our contractor has the ability to see what's going on with the panels and a little bit more real-time data but I wish I had a little bit more technical visibility of how the panels are doing, what is the actual current we're getting, etcetera. I'm a little bit unhappy with the lack of technical visibility we have with what's going on with our system. That was one of the issues I sent an email to customer service making a request. I'd like to have something as basic as a revision level for the SunPower app because there's no way to know what level I've got. They said they will forward it to their people and give me some feedback. Again, I never heard anything about that. It's a simple request and with most of the other applications, you can see what revision level you have online.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2021

We received the initial quote from the rep of Cosmic Solar and it was perfect. My wife and I talked about it over the evening and then I got back to him the following day saying to do it. He drew up the numbers again and all of a sudden, the price increased, to which I was not thrilled. He couldn't figure out what was going on. I told him that I wanted the exact quote he gave me before. Come to find out, SunPower changed their pricing overnight and he could no longer honor the initial pricing that was quoted to us the night before because it was the end of the month, then the new month started, and they changed who their lender was. There were now a bunch of lender fees that were incorporated into the loan which why the cost jumped and the APR was gonna be different for the financing.

We went back and forth several different times. We ended up coming to an agreement that we did the increased price for the same exact system, with a lower APR. Once we were locked in with that, we never heard from him again. He told us he would show up on the first day when the installation was, and already told us when the installation about the time frame that it was going to occur. He said it was gonna be installed by only 60 days out. Then I reached out to Cosmic Solar directly to their front office. It had been about 30 days at that point and I haven’t heard from anybody. I asked them what's going on with our install.

All of a sudden, one day, I got a phone call from an electrician saying he's on his way to do the panel upgrade. I asked him who he was. He said that Cosmic Solar was supposed to reach out to me and tell me that he was coming. So, no communication from Cosmic Solar at all. He showed up and did the panel upgrade. I got more information from him than anybody else on the entire project. I reached out again to Cosmic Solar and asked when the install date would be as it was supposed to be done 30 days ago. They said I was scheduled for two weeks from that day. I also asked if there was anyone gonna tell me that anyone was coming. Then they said they have an opening the following week and they could fit me in that time and I said okay. So, the rep that told us that he was gonna be here on the first day of the installation never showed up and we hadn't heard from him at all.

During the discussion of the whole thing, my wife was joking around about wanting to change the tiles on our roof because there was moss in them. He said he'd just power wash them for us. My wife asked how much it would cost to do that. He said not to worry about it and if that would make or break the deal, he would find a way to get it done. When I found out the installation was gonna occur, I emailed Cosmic Solar and asked if they would still power wash the roof ahead of time. They said they don't do that due to liability and it could break the tiles. I told them that their rep said it was gonna get done. They said it was not written in our contract. I felt that was again bad business practice.

I absolutely love the system it's producing. I like being able to monitor it and see exactly what's going on with it. I also love the monthly update with how much energy is being produced. I would just never use that salesperson again. In fact, the email that I sent to Cosmic Solar regarding the business practices was forwarded to him. He sent a scathing email back to me, he didn't like that I called him a liar. But I truly felt like he was that. He said something that was gonna happen, but couldn't follow through with it. No contact, didn't show up when he said he would, and the price changing overnight. I was not thrilled with it. I would not recommend Cosmic Solar. But I would recommend the system to other people.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2020

What a wonderful Christmas present we received from South Coast Solar! My wife and I decided a couple months ago that we wanted to reduce our monthly bills and the timing was right to go solar. I spent numerous hours online gathering information about solar and then decided to use an internet resource called EnergySage to assist in finding the best solar options for us. It was really quite simple, all I had to do was tell EnergySage how much electricity we were using annually by uploading my most recent electricity bill to them. I simply scanned the bill and submitted it to them via their website.

On the EnergySage website I was also able to read extensive information about the many paths available to go solar, then wait until EnergySage contacted multiple solar vendors with my information and the vendors to get in touch with me. One of the first vendors to contact me was South Coast Solar, a master dealer of SunPower solar equipment. I worked with Grant ** to determine the best and most cost effective solar solution for us. Grant was extremely knowledgeable and proved he was interested in doing the best for us by answering every question I raised.

Grant would make a great teacher as he never resisted answering any question and never made me feel like I was ignorant about solar. He literally spent hours working one on one with me. He really surprised me when I asked if it would be OK to submit his plans and quote to other solar dealers to see if they could compete with the prices quoted and he agreed it was a good idea as he wanted me to get the best deal possible for us.

Interestingly, in communicating with other solar vendors, I found their salespeople were unable to answer questions I raised with Grant, and when they did provide answers different from those Grant supplied I did additional research only to find Grant was spot on with all his answers. No other vendor offered me a quote on the same setup with a better price, despite the fact that they didn’t need to do the work of configuring the system, just quote me a price. In fact, the closest price quote I received from the other vendors was nearly 10% higher.

But my work still wasn’t done as I then researched customer reviews for South Coast Solar and the competitors who were the closest in price as I was willing to spend an additional $2,000 to go with the vendor with the best reviews. Not surprisingly, based on reviews I found online, South Coast Solar not only had the best price, but also garnered the best reviews from their customers. I didn’t find one bad review for South Coast Solar so I decided to have them supply and install the solar system as specified.

We did wait a while for the installation to begin but that was due to the fact my county was slow in approving the permits required for the installation. Finally, the workmen showed up for the installation. The installer guys were extremely friendly and were also willing to answer any additional questions I raised. In less than 24 hours the solar panels and associated electronic equipment were installed and the property was cleaned up, I was pleased to see the installers also used appropriate safety equipment during the installation as my roof has a substantial slope to it and I am always afraid when anyone gets on the roof that they may fall off!

At the completion of the installation the equipment was tested and shown to be in proper working order. I am still waiting for the county to inspect the installation and for the local electric company to replace my electric meter, but when that is done I will be pushing power back to the electric grid during daylight hours and only drawing power when the sun is down.

South Coast Solar with SunPower also has the best warranty on the market and a guarantee that the panels will produce as much electricity as quoted or they will pay me double the cost of any electricity not produced. Only Master Dealers with SunPower provide that guarantee! A big thank you to Grant **, Scott **, and the installation crew for helping me move to solar as seamlessly as possible!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

My wife and I are interested in renewable energy and just trying to be a bit more planet-responsible. She was more in it for the planet part of it. I'm more of a numbers guy. So, I told her if we can make the numbers make sense then, of course, I'm in. I looked at it as more of an investment versus she looked at it as more of a help the planet kind of thing. I got a couple of different bids from different companies, one of which was TECO Electric here in Charlotte, and they are a SunPower dealer and recommended your system.

It started off with just reaching out to their office. I went to them, researching them online. I talked with one of their guys who set me up with a phone meeting with their head salesperson named Joe, and he was fantastic. He already had a schematic of my house. I sent them my electric bill and just wanted to talk about my needs and what I was looking for, and make sure that it all made sense financially.

We had a proposal the same day. Went ahead and said yes and moved forward. He and the project manager, Whitney, and the head installer, all set up a time to come to the house to do a site survey. Whitney is still in touch with me as far as making sure that we would be all set up for our rebate for next year. Any concerns, she's always right there and available. They were phenomenal. They went up on the roof, checked everything, checked the electrical panel, made sure everything was all good to go. And we gave the go ahead right then and there. It has been great.

We are in the middle of our second full month. I've never been more excited to get an electric bill in my life, which is really weird. But I was tracking it with the monitoring software, which has been great. It’s perfect as far as tracking what my offset was. When we did the proposal, the idea was to try to come up with 85% of my electricity coming from solar. And it was right there, if not higher. We just got an electric car so we guessed on how much charging we were going to be doing on it to try to come up with a good number, but they were right on the money. My first electric bill was $22. It had cost me 14 just to be a customer of Duke Energy, so I only paid $8 for electric for October. And November is looking right around the same track, so it's great.

The main thing is you just have realistic expectations. We had unrealistic things sold to us by other solar companies, like payoff period. Just make sure you're dealing with real numbers and know where the money comes from, especially these guys that are going to sell you this 20-year or 30-year loan, and it's only a couple of bucks a month and it's super cheap, but you're paying a lot more for it than you really need to. And make sure it makes sense for your house. Like if you don't have a south facing home or a north facing home, sometimes you have to put so many panels on just to get efficiency that it might not be worth it. I look at it more as an investment. If I can get my money back on it, great. My payoff period on this thing is going to be six or seven years. It’s perfect.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2021

I received my solar from a company called SolarTech - 9410 Bond Ave. El Cajon, CA 92021 out here in East County and at this point after 2 months we are totally happy with our new system. But at this point we are still learning the system.

SunPower response

Hi Matt, we are excited to have you as part of the SunPower family. It brings us joy to see customers satisfied with their transition to solar. Congratulations on going solar, and thank you for helping us create a more sustainable future. Please reach out to us if there is anything we can assist you with in the future.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2021

My Solar system has a Ground Fault/Inverter Off-Line on the Inverter screen. I called Sunpower and they directed me to their Dealers. I called few of them and the said my inverter is obsolete and provided me with a quote of about $16,000 for installation of a brand-new system with a modern Inverter without coming to check what the issues were. One of them asked me to call Sunpower because it has 20 years warranty on their system. I called SunPower and the technician escalated the case and said a technician would contact me in 3-5 business days. When the technician called, he left a me a message that he researched and found out that my Inverter is out of warranty. I called SunPower, they said their warranty only covers the Panel which is the cheapest of all the components. So sad to be in this kind of situation after my system was paid off. They could send someone to check on it, it might be a Fuse or minor issue. I'm very disappointed.

SunPower response

Hi Osita, we're sorry to hear that your expectations are not being met. Please expect a call from an Executive Support Specialist to discuss your concerns in detail and provide additional assistance. We appreciate your business and truly value your feedback.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2021

I had a good experience with SunPower. Enrolling was painless and the reps did a good job. They did everything as expected.

SunPower response

Thanks for the feedback, Adam. We are delighted to hear that you had a good experience enrolling and the reps were a great help. Please feel free to contact us if there is anything we can assist you with in the future. Thanks again!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

We decided to go solar due to the rising cost of utilities, cleaner energy, and semi-independence from the utilities grid (opted out of storage installation). Getting the solar panels installed was a breeze, thanks mostly to Thomas **, our project manager and we worked with All Bay Solar to get the installation. Thomas kept us informed throughout the process. Especially loved that Thomas oversaw the interconnection application with PG&E. Love having solar for power - already experienced a power outage that didn't impact us much since we had power during the day. We plan to purchase an EV in the future and excited to know that we will contribute near zero emission when we drive. Highly recommend Sun Power and hope you get Tom as your PM.

SunPower response

Hi Robert, thanks for the positive feedback. We are delighted to see that you received the attention and care from Thomas. Thomas will be excited to hear the great things you had to say about him. Please feel free to contact us if you have any needs in the future we can assist with. Thanks again!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

The SunPower team that supported the design, pricing/purchase and install of the system on my home was very friendly, responsive and easy to communicate with during 2021. The design and installation process went well, was not disruptive. They assisted at each step and I am happy with the end product.

SunPower response

It is wonderful to read about how well your entire experience has been, Tom. Thank you for the feedback and review and most of all for helping us change the way our world is powered!

SunPower Company Information