Get Started

2. Solar Energy

4.5/5 (83 ratings)

About SunLux

Sunlux is a solar energy company that specializes in full-service panel installation, including re-roofing and shingle projects. Customers work directly with a Sunlux advisor to customize their system. The company serves residents in Southern California and Central Texas.

Pros

• Variety of equipment options
  • 25-year performance guarantee
  • Modern, sleek designs

Cons

• Limited availability
  • Not ideal for small installations

Bottom Line

Sunlux's low-profile solar panels blend into a roof. Though prep time can be long, customers are generally pleased with their solar installations. The company provides a comprehensive 25-year warranty and lifetime support.

SunLux Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunLux?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunLux?

Original review: June 23, 2017

We decided to get solar and spoke with a bunch of companies and we decided to go with SunLux Energy. We spoke with Michael and he was upfront and honest. Installation was quick and we were up and running in a few months. I highly recommend calling SunLux for your solar energy.

Eric Gutierrez,

We are glad Michael was upfront and honest in regards to designing a system that meets your needs. Thank you for great review and please don't hesitate to call if you have any questions.

Original review: June 23, 2017

My salesperson was Mike. He is very knowledgeable, he was able to answer all my solar questions I had. Before I talked to SunLux I talked to other solar companies and I felt like I was buying a car, so much pressure, and with Mike I never felt like that. He didn't rush us into anything. They were very prompt and professional on installing my panels. I would highly recommend SunLux Energy for your solar needs.

Original review: June 22, 2017

Service was good. Paris and Guillermo were very helpful. Paris answered all of my questions and got back to me when he didn't know the answers. Also, the install on my roof was great. Elite Electric provided extra service when Edison and Theory of Fontana failed to turn my power on.

Original review: June 22, 2017

I did extensive research on residential solar systems before calling numerous companies. Most of the representatives I spoke to appeared to become uninterested when I started to ask too many questions. Most indicated that they would call me back to make an appointment. With the exception of 2 reps, most did not. Guillermo from SunLux was one rep that actually did come over and did a presentation. Guillermo answered most of my questions and explained in detail the pros and cons of purchasing or leasing a system. We were very impressed with his knowledge and expertise. He also quoted a very competitively priced system that was considerably lower than the other quote we received.

We ended up purchasing a solar system from SunLux. Guillermo provided frequent updates during the financing, funding and construction phases. We were so impressed with the whole process that we referred my in-laws to him. Even my father-in-law (who is hard to impress) purchased a system based on our experience. I would highly recommend SunLux to anyone wishing to install a solar system on their home.

Original review: June 22, 2017

Very professional company. Communication was awesome. I was referred by a neighbor and understand why. There are a lot of solar companies out there and by far this is the best one. Good pricing and great product. Thank you so much SunLux. I haven't had a bill except for like $5.00-10.00 since they have installed and I have a pool and 3,000 sq. ft. home.

Original review: June 22, 2017

Great service, good price, nice and very professional people! Guillermo is person who we got excellent deal. Very honest and professional. All work was done very fast and performed in excellent quality. I sincerely suggest select SunLux company for anybody who want to install solar system.

Original review: June 22, 2017

It's been a great experience from start to finish. We are now enjoying our lower electricity bills, and are excited to see how much we save this summer. Customer service has been excellent! Jorge ** explained everything in detail before trying to "sell" us anything.

Original review: June 22, 2017

SunLux was professional, fast, friendly and educational when wanting to switch to solar. The installation team was awesome and the work they did was 5 star. I would recommend going with them. Already after 2 weeks I see the system is working like it should. Thanks SunLux.

Original review: June 22, 2017

SunLux installed solar on my house to perfection, as they advertised to me! It is with a heavy heart that I endorse this company! This is my first time doing such a review but with subject like solar I felt I needed to express my satisfaction!

Fernando,

Thank you for the great review of Sunlux. If you ever have any questions or concerns please don't hesitate to call and thank you for choosing Sunlux.

Original review: June 22, 2017

The best solar company there is. Very professional in every way, very satisfied from start to completion, very informative, very professional. Very, very happy. I have spent 4 years researching solar companies and decided on SunLux for cost, support and professional quality.

Original review: June 22, 2017

SunLux made it easy to go solar. After shopping with 8 other companies, I was relieved to find people who made us feel comfortable with the process, answer each of our questions, and take care of the details. Smooth experience!

Original review: June 22, 2017

Had 34 panels installed by SunLux Energy, very courteous and fast. Was very pleased all around. They had them on and done within 3 days. We were up and running within 2 weeks. I would certainly recommend them if anyone asked.

Original review: June 22, 2017

Our neighbor’s best friend is one of the guys at SunLux Energy so we talked to him. He explained everything well and made us feel comfortable. He also had a really good deal for us and he made the process easy. Plus, the representative showed up on time and he explained things very clearly too. The rep was very attentive, as well. Every time I had a question or needed something from him and he couldn’t answer me immediately, he would call me right back. There was no waiting or no chasing him down. By that time, he was the eighth person I had met and his explanation was the best. I had been skeptical which is why I shopped around so much for over a year.

We financed our panels because I work in the rehab industry and I know that leasing seems good at first, but when you try to sell your house later on, it's a nightmare. And I didn’t want to do that. So they set up the HERO Program and then HERO gave us a call and approved us right then and there. The rep did everything for us and made it easy.

For the installation, the team did what they said they were going to do, and how they said they were going to do it. It ran like clockwork, whereas others, I've had problems with. I'm a property manager and with my properties, I've had times where the guys would find problems later on in the job. But with SunLux, they checked the roof thoroughly first so they knew what was what and what was needed. They took care of everything beforehand so that when installation day came, there were no surprises.

Now that it's completed, everything looks good so far. I've been watching it run backwards and when we ran the air vent for it, it seemed to be right about where we thought it would be as far as usage and credits goal for SCE. No surprises there so far. SunLux's service had been top notch. It went the way it was supposed to and compared to the other offers I had, they'd get an A plus. I'd tell people to go for it and I've already told my brother about it too.

Original review: June 18, 2017

I wanted to get ahead of the curve and I decided to go solar. Edison is increasing some of the rates and they're changing a lot of their rate structure. I still wanted to get onboard with the current net metering program. I've been involved with solar for some time now but recently decided it really makes sense. I work as a local rep with a company that finances all kinds of different energy efficiency products. I work with probably 10 different other solar companies. I chose SunLux because they are, by far, the best and most solid company and they have the best group of guys that I have ever worked with when it comes to solar. It's really the atmosphere of the people who run the company, their knowledge of solar and everything that they could provide from start to finish. It's more of a professional experience that I have.

I have a lot of rapport with the SunLux guys so I trust them to do the job correctly and the specific rep that came out did an excellent job. I trusted him in building the system and putting together the right price. Everything they did was great from start to finish. The installation process was extremely good. The guys came out, arrived around 9:00 in the morning, laid everything out and got the whole job installed and done. It took about five hours tops and they cleaned up everything after they are done. They swept my driveway, picked up all the trash and did a full lock through front and backyard to make sure every piece of scrap and everything was picked up and they literally left the property cleaner than what it was when they arrived.

SunLux's cost for their quality of service is second to none. I financed the panels with the PACE Financing, which means Property Assessed Clean Energy. It allows me to finance an energy efficient product, such as solar, onto my property tax bill, so that I don’t have to take out a personal loan for the job. I get to finance it as a special assessment on my property taxes and repay it that way as well.

SunLux is probably the most trustworthy guys in the business. They’ve been doing it a long time, they know what they're doing and know how to run a good and solid business. Anybody that’s looking to go solar should really consider using them amongst any of the other local companies. There's a bunch of local companies and larger companies, but when it comes to somebody that does it right, you can't find a better company than SunLux Energy. I highly recommend them and I wouldn't recommend anybody more than them.

Original review: June 17, 2017

We had high electric bills of $500 a month, so when I was referred to SunLux Energy, I signed up with them. They had done service for a couple of other friends and family and their reps were terrific. They came out to give us an initial quote and they had that quote to us within a couple of days. After we agreed to it, they had somebody else come out to do a final survey and then they put the permits in for the city of Glendora, which were approved within two weeks. They scheduled the work the week after and we were done in two days. The rep whom we worked with was very professional, knowledgeable, and honest, and the installation team was great. Our system is already up and going, and I like the way it looks. It was an absolutely terrific experience and their service was well worth it.

Zak,

Thank you for the review of Sunlux. Our energy consultants take great pride in exceeding customers expectations when it comes to designing your system. Should you ever have any questions or concerns please don't hesitate to call and thank you for choosing Sunlux.

Customer Service Manager

Original review: June 16, 2017

My energy bills were high. I have a pool and air conditioning and I live in the area where we use that a lot so I went into solar energy to save. SunLux Energy's reps were helpful. They explained the situation that related to my situation. They also worked with me on my financial status. I got us a really good price for the service with the whole rebate and the plan that they gave me. I went with the Hero program for my solar panels. That seemed to be the most feasible and affordable for me after we went through different financial options and he explained all the options that were available. It's very easy to work with the payment plan. The rep whom we worked with was professional. He was knowledgeable of the product he’s selling and worked with me as far as times to meet. And it was good that he kept me informed of every step. It felt very comfortable working with him.

The project manager who handled the installation process was very professional and knowledgeable. He kept me informed and explained the situation and what was going on. They scheduled the installation date once they had the permits. They came to the installation and showed me what was done. We had to wait for the permit from Madison to get that going, but they kept me informed of every step and it was an easy and smooth process. It was not something that was done right away. It was also not something I could spend right away. It took steps and it took a little bit of time but it was good. I would definitely recommend the product to family members and friends.

Fernando,

Thank you for the review of Sunlux. We hope you are enjoying that pool especially in the summer months.

Customer Service Manager

Original review: May 15, 2017

To save money, we decided to go solar and my friend recommended SunLux and they made sense, so I was good with it. The representative from SunLux was very nice and he came out and went over the cost and what they would do, and it was great. The project manager and the SunLux representative were on the site every day, and the installation crew did a good job. The cost was fine in relation to its quality and I'm satisfied with it. I have already recommended them and I still would.

Original review: May 14, 2017

I owned my house and I planned to stay there for a long enough time, so just on the cost savings, it made sense to go solar over paying electricity with our provider. Someone I know had used the sales representative who represents the company. One of them was SunLux. I had a few discussions with him and based on the panel they provided, I went with SunLux.

The sales reps certainly knew what they were talking about, with all the explanations on time tables and schedule and type of panel. Contractually, that was all through DocuSign, so it’s easy to sign and get all of that situated. Any questions I had, they were every responsive, mostly through email. Once we got to the point of the design, any changes on where I wanted panels to go on, they were very receptive and made changes. They made their schedule and kept it. Their timeframe of doing the work was what they said it would be. They handled everything with the city which was good. They got all that done and approved without me having to deal with anything. That was nice. So, all in all, everything went real smoothly and I'm now producing power, so I'm happy. And I've got a $20 credit last month for my electricity versus a $200 bill. It was a big difference.

I purchased the solar panels and so it'll take a little time till they actually pay for themselves. It makes sense somewhere around the seven to 10-year range. But as far as purchasing them, if we actually do sell our house, I think the advantage of having the solar panels integrated and part of the house, they would probably even pay for themselves within the price of the house. They add to the value that they cost me to go in them. Southern California is very competitive cause there's a lot of providers down here. And so, cost-wise, they were very aggressive in my favor. For certain situations like obviously if you're only gonna be in the house for a few years, I wouldn't really think of doing solar. But for our situation, it certainly made a lot of sense. I'd certainly recommend SunLux if anyone wanted to go solar. They were thorough and reasonably priced.

Original review: May 1, 2017

SunLux went above and beyond what I expected. It was a pain free process because their crew took care of everything and left my house cleaner than when they started. They are now doing my mom's house. I highly recommend them! They are great!

Original review: April 22, 2017

I wanted to save a lot of money with solar energy and SunLux Energy gave me a better deal than the other ones that called up. The reps were very friendly and they answered all my questions that I had for them. Even the guys who came to install it answered everything I asked them. If they didn’t know it, they got somebody else to do it. I’ve noticed a little bit of a difference. My bills used to average $450 a month. Now, I’m paying a set fee of $164 and Edison would give me a $9 or sometimes a $1 bill. I'm very happy with the cost and quality. I’m very satisfied and I would recommend them to anybody.

Original review: April 21, 2017

Reducing the cost of our electricity was a big factor in our going with solar energy. At first, we did some research and talked to three different companies, including SunLux. With SunLux, we felt that we were dealing with people that we liked who knew what they were talking about and presented the most complete picture of what we should expect would be provided to us in exchange for what it would cost. Now, we do have a regular account with Sunrun and they provided us with the technical account, while SunLux did the original installation. SunLux then turned over some of their responsibilities to Elite Electric, the company that actually did the hardware installation.

However, we had a stupid problem that could have been avoided easily. It should have never come up, but it continued for quite a while. We had a screw-up on the billing, and it was so difficult to resolve that it became irritating. It smacks so completely of unpreparedness and confusion about what their responsibilities were and how to fix the problem. In April 29, 2016, at 11:30 a.m., Richard of Elite Electric in Riverside, California, called me and I told him that I was about to cancel my contract with SunLux. We had been originally told at the beginning of the year that the whole system would be in and running by March. But it is now almost May. Likewise, I had been told that Richard would call in the morning of that day, and it was then coming up on noon. I told Richard that if he had not called by noon, I would have completely canceled the contract with SunLux for breach of contract and nonperformance.

I told Richard that we have been repeatedly told that the company would do so and so, only to see the deadline come and go without performance, and I'm not willing to deal with a company that does not do what it says it will do. He assured me that the panel change-out will occur on May 18 and the physical installation of the roof panels will be done on May 18 and 19. But he said that the Banning utility may not authorize the actual activation of the system.

It was not just a couple of times that SunLux had told me that they were going to do something and then didn't do it, and I was more than irritated by that time. The problem is, when I'm told that I have to be somewhere to meet and greet installation people but they don't show up, I may have made arrangements with my healthcare providers, doctors or cleaning services, and I put those people on hold and make other dates with them in anticipation of these dates being honored by SunLux, and if they're not honored, it is hugely inconvenient. If this happens repeatedly, as seems to be the case with SunLux, then I would be close to canceling my contract with them.

They finally told me that they were going to do some installation work on May 18. On this day, the electrician, Ryan replaced the 100-amp main power panel with a 200-amp panel. The crew, consisting of Joaquin, Jesus, Billy, and Smiley began to install the roof panels and finished this on Friday, May 19. Bill and Matt acted as inspectors for the City of Banning. On May 23, I returned a call to Richard to schedule completion of inspections and activation of the new power panel. I left a voice mail message and received a call from Ron on May 23.

On June 8, at about 10:20 in the morning, I called and spoke with Crista at SunLux. I asked her to pass along to Guillermo that the city inspectors were here this morning, and Rick was here and turned on the system at 9:35 a.m., and also that I had put a combination lock on the connection box. I gave them the combination to that lock. On October 17, at 4:25 p.m., I called and spoke again with Guillermo. I told him that I was going to email him a scanned copy of the Sunrun billing and that I hope he would help by straightening out this endless billing error at Sunrun. They ultimately fixed the problem and I got satisfied, but it took a lot of coaxing and cajoling.

I live in a gated 55-plus retirement community of about 3,700 homes. And as of this time last year, we as a community and as a homeowners association were entertaining bids for a $2 million solar panel installation. I had already suggested SunLux, but I called the president of the board and told him to take my recommendation out.

I told Guillermo that it was really too bad because, before the installation screw-ups started, I had recommended with enthusiasm that the panel at the homeowners board of directors consider asking SunLux to make a bid on the $2 million solar panel installation. Then, after the screw-ups, I asked them to take my recommendation out, so SunLux was probably not considered and the homeowners association is still in the process of bidding out that work. I expressed my displeasure with the way I was treated by SunLux and it had cost them a nice piece of work.

About 3 or 4 percent of the houses here in this development have solar panels. It's a slow technology to catch on because many people think that the cost of buying solar panels is expensive and the solar energy technology will evolve. In addition, the lease tends to be a burden that you carry for a very long time. So, there are a lot of people who are hesitating about looking seriously at installing solar panels or using solar energy for those two reasons. But I see more and more of these solar panels going up all over this desert area in Los Angeles, where the sun is a wonderful thing if you’re looking at generating power by solar. It wouldn’t hurt if SunLux was to make a specific appeal to people who live here and to other such 55-plus communities, and there are lots of them within 25 miles of where we are.

Also, just 30 miles from where we are is Palm Springs, with a 47,000 population of very affluent and educated people. It would be a wonderful place for SunLux to capitalize on such a market, but it would not be a bad idea to look into how they advertise to those communities. Some of them have their own newspapers or magazine publications that come out on a monthly basis, and we have that here as well. It would be good to make SunLux more visible if they want to generate some interest.

SunLux response

We wanted to thank you for your valuable feedback. We are glad to hear that your solar system is working properly. We apologize that you did not have the best customer experience. We will continue to improve in order to offer you better customer service.

Original review: April 20, 2017

Looking at the rising cost of electricity, I decided to go solar. I inquired from six different people and SunLux Energy had the best price and they gave me the best panels. The other providers had different price ranges for some with lesser panels. These were less in the number of panels and I felt were less quality panels as well. Some others were as much as $12,000 or higher. Guillermo was my salesperson and interactions with him was all good. I got the panels put in in September last year. I financed them and got approved right there.

So far, I’m waiting to see when some kind of final bill is going to hit. I can’t figure out if I’m selling back energy to the energy company or it’s building up at the end of the year. We're going to determine whether or not I’m going to owe them money or they’re going to owe me money. Other than that, if people ask me about SunLux, I would give them Guillermo’s phone number.

Original review: April 19, 2017

SunLux makes it so easy to work with. The entire team was professional and very easy to work with. Guillermo who sold us the panels helped us out at every step and answered all of our questions. The installers did a great job and site was left very clean. Panels look great and are not very noticeable if you don't know they are there. We are extremely happy with how much energy we are now producing and how much money we will save in the long run. Highly recommend Guillermo and his team to do a professional timely job.

Original review: April 17, 2017

Solar energy is environmental and hopefully, it will save me money in the long run. The reps at SunLux Energy were very good, very nice, and very helpful. They explained everything that I might have a question on. They came by and looked at my house to see which is the best part for the installation. They checked my phone bill first to see how much kilowatt we use per year and is it worth it to get solar panels because if we don’t use that much electricity, it’s pointless to get solar panels. Based on that, we developed to see how much solar panel we want in, depending on how much electricity I might use for the years. And then from there on, they checked how many panels they design in their little computer program based on my roof. Then we discussed what would benefit me, what’s the price, how good it is, and what are the stages for now before we can move on to the next step. I don’t know if I’m saving that much yet as it’s just the beginning, but so far, customer service, installation, and their process are so good.

Original review: April 16, 2017

I went solar to save money and my experience was great with SunLux which was referred to me by one of my friends. Sergio, the sales rep was very good. He came out right away and we worked it out. The installation was very fast. The cost of the service along with how it compares with the quality I receive is awesome. I'm very happy. Everything was cool.

Original review: April 14, 2017

I've been looking into solar energy for a couple of years and I've had meetings with four or five different companies. The representative from SunLux knew everything and they're great. They're also very competitive with regards to the pricing versus other companies. The sales rep was trying to sell me one specific product but he gave me all the options and he knew all the products thoroughly. I financed the solar panels and the process was straightforward and easy with no headaches. They scheduled pre-inspection and some follow-up appointments for installation. They came, did the installation, and everything was pretty smooth. There were no hiccups. If I could do it again, I would. I'm totally happy and I'd recommend this company to everybody.

Original review: April 13, 2017

Highly recommend SunLux for Solar expertise. They were very responsive and professional throughout our entire solar installation for our home in the Monterey Peninsula. The crews who installed the electrical panel upgrades, solar panels, and the monitoring components were always respectful, professional and courteous. Highly recommend and grateful to be "off the grid" and producing clean energy!!

Mitt & Lisa,

Producing clean energy is Sunlux's number 1 priority. Thank you for the recommendation and review of Sunlux, don't forget about our referral program that gets you paid for friends and family that go solar.

Original review: April 13, 2017

I considered getting Solar Energy because it’s a long term to save money. SunLux contacted me and they are a little bit cheaper from the other companies that contacted me. Their representatives also seem to be honest. I bought the solar panels and it took less than two months for SunLux to complete the installation. I would recommend them.

Gary,

Solar is always a long term investment especially when the utility companies are constantly raising their prices. Thank you for the recommendation and review of Sunlux, should you ever have any questions or concerns please don't hesitate to call.

Customer Service Manager

Original review: April 12, 2017

Getting free electricity in seven years and a tax rebate made me decide to go solar. SunLux rep explained to me how many panels I would have, where did it go, the maintenance, the life of them and the longevity. Everything was covered. I purchased the solar panels and installation took a couple of days. There was a team of people who installed them and the system was up and running within two weeks. It's been an improvement. The installers overall were useful but they could definitely use a little improvement in their quality of work.

In a year I would spend about $4,000 on my electric bill. But with these panels, now I expect to spend about $500 a year. I'm still getting usual electricity from Edison, but I'll be able to buy it at a way cheaper rate and I won't need as much because the majority will come from the panels. Although you can never get enough panels to get your electricity bill to zero. There's always gonna be some. If you can afford going solar, you should at least consider it.

Chris,

Thank you for the review of Sunlux. Free money is always a good thing and we are glad that the representative explained the entire process. We will definitely share your feedback with management in regards to the installation team. Should you ever have any questions or concerns please don't hesitate to call and thank you for choosing Sunlux.

SunLux Company Information