4.6/5 (79 ratings)

About Sunlux

Sunlux is a solar energy company that specializes in full-service panel installation, including re-roofing and shingle projects. Customers work directly with a Sunlux advisor to customize their system. The company serves residents in Southern California and Central Texas.

Pros

• Variety of equipment options
  • 25-year performance guarantee
  • Modern, sleek designs

Cons

• Limited availability
  • Not ideal for small installations

Bottom Line

Sunlux's low-profile solar panels blend into a roof. Though prep time can be long, customers are generally pleased with their solar installations. The company provides a comprehensive 25-year warranty and lifetime support.

Top Sunlux Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I took bids from four other companies and I thought SunLux' salesman was professional and was persistent with his follow-up. He always had the answers or he came back with the ans...

Verified

SunLux has the best price from a couple of companies I got a call from. The customer service of SunLux was good. I really didn't have any complaints at all. However, they had a re...

What does Sunlux do?

Sunlux designs customized solar energy systems to ensure they fit its customers' needs. Sunlux's systems consist of solar panels, solar inverters and batteries. The company takes pride in its partnerships with Tesla, Panasonic and LG, which lets it build quality systems from quality materials. Sunlux provides cost-efficient, renewable energy sources, and customers can expect excellent engineering and professional installation. Sunlux also provides a handy savings calculator that estimates immediate and lifetime savings, which helps customers make educated financing decisions.

Sunlux costs

Sunlux prices range from $24,900 to $35,000. Costs vary depending on the size of your roof and whether you purchase, finance, lease or prepay for your solar panels. If you decide to purchase, a $1,000 deposit gets the process started, and the remaining cost is due after the company installs your solar power system.

Sunlux regularly coordinates with clients to find loan options, working with partners such as Dividend and the Energy Loan Network. Federal tax credits are also available to lower construction costs.

Sunlux installation

Sunlux solar installation only takes one or two days, but the prep time can take up to six weeks.

1. The installation process starts with a visit to the location, where specialists survey for challenges and measure the available space.
  2. Within the following week, Sunlux designers draft a plan that matches the customer's desired aesthetic and efficiency.
  3. The company then applies for permits. Permit approval may take up to a month.
  4. Once the permits arrive, the company begins installing the solar energy system.
  5. Crews install mounts and wiring first and then attach panels on the roof.
  6. Once finished, the system must pass a brief legal inspection. Then, energy production can begin.

Sunlux warranty

Sunlux offers a 25-year warranty, which is long by industry standards. The warranty covers the panels, performance, maintenance, installation and parts. The company also guarantees energy production, which lets customers know the system will continue to produce the desired amount of energy. Sunlux also includes monitoring, which lets customers check on the performance of their solar power system.

Sunlux FAQ

What kind of solar panels are available from Sunlux?
Sunlux uses solar panels from Panasonic, LG and Q CELLS. The company carries a range of sizes and looks with distinct features to meet customers' needs. For example:
  • The 320 LG NeON 2 is designed to be less noticeable and has a monochromatic appearance and thin dimensions.
  • Panasonic's N320K Photovoltaic Module HIT BLACK has specific drainage features and may be ideal for rainy areas.
Where is Sunlux available?
Sunlux is available in California, including in Los Angeles, Irvine, Rancho Santa Margarita, Bakersfield, Valencia and San Diego, and in parts of Texas.
Does Sunlux offer energy monitoring?
Yes, Sunlux continuously monitors all systems. This monitoring allows for professional problem resolution as soon as possible.
Does Sunlux provide energy storage?
Yes, you can add solar batteries to a solar system. Batteries provide off-grid power and can be used in a power outage or all the time. Sunlux uses Tesla, LG and Enphase battery systems.

Is Sunlux worth it?

We think Sunlux is a great option for those interested in clean, renewable energy. The company comes highly recommended by verified customers in California. Reviewers are generally satisfied with the installation and ongoing production on their systems. Plus, we like that Sunlux's financing, leasing and prepay options fit diverse budgets and can make it easier than ever to go solar.

Sunlux Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunlux?

Original review: March 22, 2022

We were able to talk to three different representatives from three different companies, and the guy from Sunlux happened to be a gentleman. He came across as knowledgeable, and he went out of his way to check on things and verify pricing. I used to work in the public utility industry, and there was a discount that was available for people who work in the public utility industries that I didn't know about. The guy from Sunlux was very helpful, kind, polite, and professional, and seemed to have a sense of integrity because he made and kept his promises.

Sunlux has done the inspection, planning and engineering. At this point, they're still getting hold of the local utility because they're gonna have to upgrade the panels. They haven't installed it yet, but I anticipate that it's going to be everything I expect. I don't expect miracles from solar, but I expect that it will provide me with a lot of energy throughout the course of owning the house and provide most, if not all, of my needs as we go along.

We went with three of the top companies, and out of the choices that we had, Sunlux has been easily one of the best experiences. They've been fair, and as far as equitable, they've hit the price ranges that everybody else has. Nobody's given me super discounts, but Sunlux has been really personal, too. I even got contacted by one of the owners at one point because there was a misunderstanding. Their customer service and their regular service is top notch. I would absolutely recommend them.

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2022

I've been talking to Adam with Sunlux for over a year and he's been super patient with me. He has filled me in on all my questions. He would call me sometimes a couple of weeks, sometimes a couple of months. We stayed in touch for a whole year because I wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing. I kept postponing him and postponing him but he was super nice and not pushy one bit. If I wanted him to call me back, he’d call me back.

If it wasn’t for Adam's patience and due diligence, I probably wouldn't be going with Sunlux. I probably would have went through a company that one of my friends had. Sunlux is a little bit more expensive on the loan process portion of it than some of my friends went through but I trust Adam. He promised me until my service is completely done, he's going to walk the whole entire process with me, and he has. Three days ago, I got an email saying that I needed to do my direct deposit so that I could get the APR financing at a locked-in lower rate. I called Adam and asked about it. He called the place and we got it handled. I can call him at a drop of a dime and he answers me.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2021

So far, SunLux has been great. They were competitive with price. They weren't the cheapest company that I went with, but I'm hoping I’m getting what I'm paying for. So far, it feels like it. They provided various financing options, and they were transparent about it. They said, “We have these companies. There's like 10 or more. You can pick whatever makes the most sense for you based on APR or anything like that.”

Don was the engineer that talked to me directly, and he was very informed about the industry. In fact, I chose SunLux because he gave me a little more technical information than some of the other agencies. He also made a point to recommend the specific LG panel that they have, which nobody else seems to carry. Instead of converting to DC power, it converts to AC power right at the panel. That was nice.

I got 29 panels, and installation hasn't been completed yet. They're still going through the permitting process, but that's almost done. Erica is my project manager. She’s been really communicative and if she doesn't know the answer, she will find out. I see messages from her late and early, and I can tell she's working hard to keep all the plates spinning, which is not easy.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

I worked with Mark and didn't get the best impression of him at first. He talks a lot, and I’m more "get to the point". He was persistent and kept matching with other offers I was receiving. We signed with someone else but he didn’t give up. Eventually, he gained my trust. We have a set date for the installation but I have a concern right now. We don’t have the second payment and there’s a late fee for it. Right now, we’re trying to get a HELOC but they're delaying it. I’m concerned if they will commit to the late fee, or will they give us a grace period to get this resolved.

Things have changed with COVID and they're not as accommodating to us. We need to sign papers and they're about an hour away. We're gonna see if they'll wait later for us to sign after we get off work. They are not willing to send somebody to us. The guy took Thursday off, and I don't think he was willing to let somebody else handle it. He’s putting us in a really tight bind. We have to sign by Friday in order to meet that deadline. But we've been in contact with someone from Texas and there have been a lot of long pauses, but when a deadline needs to be hit, she’s on it. I have my mom’s house next. Assuming this goes down well, we’ll be doing it again with SunLux.

Original review: June 15, 2021

When I talked to the SunLux representative, he was very informative. He talked to me to get me exactly what I was looking for. So, it really worked out. Because of COVID, a lot of our interactions were mostly over the phone and emailing back and forth, but he was very quick to respond to me. He covered a lot of good options, and I was able to make a good decision with the options he gave me. Unfortunately, it's not a smooth process for anybody. I don't think any company would have done better. Any delays and stuff that we had were really from our city. It wasn't really from SunLux themselves. They did really good.

We went with 16 panels. From talking to my agent, we looked at what I used the prior year. Then, he gave me a recommendation. From there, I gave him my input. We decided that 16 was going to be adequate for my house. The panels were just turned on like halfway through the cycle. I noticed that I am taking in a lot of energy from the sun because I monitor it through my LG app. But I haven't really seen a bill with it in full effect for the whole month. So, from what I've seen right now, it's right on track to pretty much close to get me to almost no energy consumption from the grid. It's doing what I wanted it to do. So, so far, I'm pretty happy with it.

The only little thing was when the installers came, I didn't like the way something was done and I asked them to fix it. They said, “Oh, it’s not going to be an issue. Don't worry about it.” I felt like, “I'm the owner. I'm the guy. I just want you to tweak this to the left a little bit. Just tweak it to the left a little bit.” It wasn't anything emergent. It was just a conduit connection to one of the panels. My concern was that it was a little bit crooked and they didn't have a good seal. He checked it. He said it had a good seal. But I just felt like it was petty. I just felt like if I was the tech, I would have been like, “You know what? If you want to straight, I'll put it straight. You're the guy.” They left it like that. I haven't had any issues with it but I keep my eye on it. Other than that, I do recommend SunLux. My neighbors have been asking, so I've been giving them their number. I need to put them in my referral since I can get credits.

Original review: May 6, 2022

I liked that with Sunlux, there wasn't any pressure. If I had questions, I could reach out freely without feeling bad about asking a question. The rep, Gary, was relaxed and sounded like he knew his stuff. He was knowledgeable with the technology that we had available to do the presentation. We didn't have to sit there and wait for him to do things. He was comfortable with putting together the presentation while also being able to carry on a conversation. It was an easy conversation and an easy kind of route. The process of financing was quick. There was a discrepancy in the communication between them and Sungage between the years and dollar amount. I contacted Gary over Easter weekend and told him that there was a discrepancy between what they sent Sungage and what Sungage was having me sign. He got everything taken care of before dinnertime. He did well. I wish Sunlux was a little bit cheaper though.

Original review: April 21, 2022

We just signed up with the project and it has yet to commence. But everybody has been cooperative and has been giving me information because everything is new for me. I'm not that knowledgeable in solar or roofing or contracting so they are helping me throughout. Bonnie is our project manager and Gary, who was my initial contact, is the salesperson and engineer. He has been giving me guidance. So, it’s been good. I will recommend others to at least explore the possibility of going with Sunlux and they can make their own calculated decision and look at all the options. And so far, my experience has been wonderful, so I have nothing but praise for Sunlux.

Original review: April 10, 2022

Out of the three companies that I talked to and got quotes from, they were the only company that offered the Tesla panels. Also, they were the only company that at the end of the year, any kilowatt-hours overage, I was going to get some sort of payment from the electrical company. Plus, the reps are professional and well-rounded individuals. They had good follow-up and stayed on top of everything. But they still haven't installed the solar panels.

Also, I'm not happy with the company they are recommending to finance the panels. It took me longer to get everything set up with them than it took SunLux to get the permits from the city, which is almost the opposite. There was a lot of going back and forth with them and I couldn't see them in person to take care of things. Everything has to be online, which is fine but it was just their lack of follow-up. I suggest looking into a different company.

Original review: April 8, 2022

I liked that SunLux didn't keep pestering us. Sunrun kept calling every 15 minutes, and I actually had to block their number. SunLux was a little more professional and didn't treat me like just a big sale. They just called and then we set the appointment. We just had the inspector and we've kind of got everything going. The experience is very positive and feels more service-oriented.

Original review: April 6, 2022

We had a really good Zoom meeting with Bill, our salesperson, and he was very thorough, friendly and knowledgeable. He answered all our questions, gave us a great PDF document that had all of our estimated savings and plans, and really demystified the whole process for us. There were some hang-ups with the plans for installation and how many panels we could get though. Now, Sunlux is hammering it out internally before coming back to us with a revised proposal. If they can't deliver on a proposal that has enough to justify the cost, we just won't do it, but that's nothing against Sunlux. It just happens to be what the situation is. We'll just wait and see if they can figure something out. If they can, terrific. If they can't, then we tried.

Sunlux Company Information