Get Started

2. Solar Energy

4.6/5 (66 ratings)

About SunLux

Sunlux is a solar energy company that specializes in full-service panel installation, including re-roofing and shingle projects. Customers work directly with a Sunlux advisor to customize their system. The company serves residents in Southern California and Central Texas.

Pros

• Variety of equipment options
  • 25-year performance guarantee
  • Modern, sleek designs

Cons

• Limited availability
  • Not ideal for small installations

Bottom Line

Sunlux's low-profile solar panels blend into a roof. Though prep time can be long, customers are generally pleased with their solar installations. The company provides a comprehensive 25-year warranty and lifetime support.

Top SunLux Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I took bids from four other companies and I thought SunLux' salesman was professional and was persistent with his follow-up. He always had the answers or he came back with the ans...

Verified

SunLux has the best price from a couple of companies I got a call from. The customer service of SunLux was good. I really didn't have any complaints at all. However, they had a re...

What does Sunlux do?

Sunlux designs customized solar energy systems to ensure they fit its customers' needs. Sunlux's systems consist of solar panels, solar inverters and batteries. The company takes pride in its partnerships with Tesla, Panasonic and LG, which lets it build quality systems from quality materials. Sunlux provides cost-efficient, renewable energy sources, and customers can expect excellent engineering and professional installation. Sunlux also provides a handy savings calculator that estimates immediate and lifetime savings, which helps customers make educated financing decisions.

Sunlux costs

Sunlux prices range from $24,900 to $35,000. Costs vary depending on the size of your roof and whether you purchase, finance, lease or prepay for your solar panels. If you decide to purchase, a $1,000 deposit gets the process started, and the remaining cost is due after the company installs your solar power system.

Sunlux regularly coordinates with clients to find loan options, working with partners such as Dividend and the Energy Loan Network. Federal tax credits are also available to lower construction costs.

Sunlux installation

Sunlux solar installation only takes one or two days, but the prep time can take up to six weeks.

1. The installation process starts with a visit to the location, where specialists survey for challenges and measure the available space.
  2. Within the following week, Sunlux designers draft a plan that matches the customer's desired aesthetic and efficiency.
  3. The company then applies for permits. Permit approval may take up to a month.
  4. Once the permits arrive, the company begins installing the solar energy system.
  5. Crews install mounts and wiring first and then attach panels on the roof.
  6. Once finished, the system must pass a brief legal inspection. Then, energy production can begin.

Sunlux warranty

Sunlux offers a 25-year warranty, which is long by industry standards. The warranty covers the panels, performance, maintenance, installation and parts. The company also guarantees energy production, which lets customers know the system will continue to produce the desired amount of energy. Sunlux also includes monitoring, which lets customers check on the performance of their solar power system.

Sunlux FAQ

What kind of solar panels are available from Sunlux?
Sunlux uses solar panels from Panasonic, LG and Q CELLS. The company carries a range of sizes and looks with distinct features to meet customers' needs. For example:
  • The 320 LG NeON 2 is designed to be less noticeable and has a monochromatic appearance and thin dimensions.
  • Panasonic's N320K Photovoltaic Module HIT BLACK has specific drainage features and may be ideal for rainy areas.
Where is Sunlux available?
Sunlux is available in California, including in Los Angeles, Irvine, Rancho Santa Margarita, Bakersfield, Valencia and San Diego, and in parts of Texas.
Does Sunlux offer energy monitoring?
Yes, Sunlux continuously monitors all systems. This monitoring allows for professional problem resolution as soon as possible.
Does Sunlux provide energy storage?
Yes, you can add solar batteries to a solar system. Batteries provide off-grid power and can be used in a power outage or all the time. Sunlux uses Tesla, LG and Enphase battery systems.

Is Sunlux worth it?

We think SunLux is a great option for those interested in clean, renewable energy. The company comes highly recommended by verified customers in California. Reviewers are generally satisfied with the installation and ongoing production on their systems. Plus, we like that Sunlux's financing, leasing and prepay options fit diverse budgets and can make it easier than ever to go solar.

SunLux Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunLux?

Original review: June 15, 2021

When I talked to the SunLux representative, he was very informative. He talked to me to get me exactly what I was looking for. So, it really worked out. Because of COVID, a lot of our interactions were mostly over the phone and emailing back and forth, but he was very quick to respond to me. He covered a lot of good options, and I was able to make a good decision with the options he gave me. Unfortunately, it's not a smooth process for anybody. I don't think any company would have done better. Any delays and stuff that we had were really from our city. It wasn't really from SunLux themselves. They did really good.

We went with 16 panels. From talking to my agent, we looked at what I used the prior year. Then, he gave me a recommendation. From there, I gave him my input. We decided that 16 was going to be adequate for my house. The panels were just turned on like halfway through the cycle. I noticed that I am taking in a lot of energy from the sun because I monitor it through my LG app. But I haven't really seen a bill with it in full effect for the whole month. So, from what I've seen right now, it's right on track to pretty much close to get me to almost no energy consumption from the grid. It's doing what I wanted it to do. So, so far, I'm pretty happy with it.

The only little thing was when the installers came, I didn't like the way something was done and I asked them to fix it. They said, “Oh, it’s not going to be an issue. Don't worry about it.” I felt like, “I'm the owner. I'm the guy. I just want you to tweak this to the left a little bit. Just tweak it to the left a little bit.” It wasn't anything emergent. It was just a conduit connection to one of the panels. My concern was that it was a little bit crooked and they didn't have a good seal. He checked it. He said it had a good seal. But I just felt like it was petty. I just felt like if I was the tech, I would have been like, “You know what? If you want to straight, I'll put it straight. You're the guy.” They left it like that. I haven't had any issues with it but I keep my eye on it. Other than that, I do recommend SunLux. My neighbors have been asking, so I've been giving them their number. I need to put them in my referral since I can get credits.

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 23, 2021

We talked with a couple of companies. There was a company where we started to move towards the design phase but the design really did not accommodate our home. We have a Spanish-style home and part of it has a flat roof. Another part is tiled out roofing with classic clay tiles. We wanted to make sure that the investment was going to yield the savings we were seeking. If they were putting in solar and there was not enough solar panels to offset the cost of paying the utility company, it didn't make any sense. They didn't seem to have an alternative. Also, there wasn't any consistency in contact with the customer service so we decided to hold off on that.

We called a local radio host. He's a designer and does construction of homes in California. He has lots of great tips. I said, "Surely, there has to be these panels that have evolved to be smaller, but more powerful." Technology is evolving at least every three years, if not yearly. He recommended SunLux and they're an advertiser. I liked his advice and gave SunLux a call. The engineer or the tech expert walked us through the different products and what decisions we needed to make. We are under the pandemic and it was very easy to show some of the options for us. They had a picture of our house so we could see where the panels might go on our roofing.

From there, they had a financing option that worked really well for us. Every step of the way, the management of the project was well done. There was someone we could contact to help us to be ready for each stage. Everyone was courteous and very professional. That coordinator, Erica, made such a difference in keeping us apprised of what was going on. There was the ease of the financing. They gave us some options of a Tesla battery at the time. There was also LG and the products they offered were state of the art, which was what we were looking for.

We had to make some modifications to the solar panels but SunLux was able to put all the solar panels on our roofing. The modification required them to have some of the panels that would come right at the edge of the roof. We were concerned about that because the way they put those panels in, you walk to our house and you cannot see those panels. I see some people around my neighborhood who have gotten solar panels and when you walk to their house, there are these hideous panels that are right at the front door. It disrupts the aesthetic of the home.

SunLux was able to make the adjustment and they did not have to do a hanging. They were able to work with the roof and reconfigure things. It's lovely. We retained the style of our Spanish home. The architectural integrity was important to us. And in handling all the permits, we really put ourselves in SunLux's hands and they competently accomplished each step. We are very happy with SunLux and really glad to recommend them. They're topflight and they live up to their reputation.

When making a purchase of solar panels, you want to have the right company to know what you want and know how the company manages the process. Their communications and their customer support are absolutely key to guide you through the process. There's a permitting process but how does the company handle it? How professional and courteous are they in communications with you frequently so you know every step of the way? This is the process that SunLux used and gave us confidence.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2021

I saw a neighborhood family install the solar panel with the SunLux. So, I got the number and I called. I was in touch with Adam, the salesperson, and I was very impressed with his explanation. He was very responsible. And then later on, everything went smoothly, but the pandemic made things go much slower. My project is very simple but it did not pass the local permit department for the first time, then SunLux had to resubmit the plan. I was surprised to find that out. I waited for a long time. That was a little disappointing. The project started in October 1st. Three months should have been enough to finish by the end of 2020, but it did not until February 8. Everything else looked fine. Somebody kept me updated frequently, so I like that part.

At first, I was able to get in touch with the project manager directly. But lately, it has been always like nobody doesn’t pick up and then it automatically leaves a message. That is a frustrating experience. I will try to call my project manager again because I know the first payment is due on March 9th, and so far, I’m anxious to know where shall I send my first check to.

SunLux told me to use the LG if I'm going to choose a particular panel. I was using that, where each panel has its own inverter. But then the contract has an individual item of inverter. And then later on, they told me there was a modification. There should be no change. But because LG has its own individual inverter, so I thought there should be either price deduction or a better explanation on why the modification was done. They told me they were all using Panasonic. But then after a bit in progress, they told me they were going to offer the LG because they have a contract with them. That's a little hiccup that I would like to have a little clearer explanation. I would still recommend this company happily if somebody wanted to install that in the near future.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

My meeting with the sales representative was done online via Zoom and he was able to present the background of the company, options for the house, and an overview of the process, should I decide to move forward with them. He went through a basic design and potential, given my location, and gave an overall pricing review and the various guarantees associated with it. SunLux's warranties and guarantee seemed longer than some of the other solar providers around the area. I decided to move forward with them and go with the in-house financing for that.

The purchase was fairly easy. Everything was done online, via phone calls, or through web meetings until they needed to come out and do an in-person project review to take a look at the site by one of the project managers. Between when the equipment was actually installed took a couple of weeks. The main holdup was the permitting process. Given the slowdowns with the city, that took a lot longer than we had anticipated. We were originally supposed to do the install in November and we didn't end up getting the approval to do it until early January.

Once everything was installed, the city came out and did the inspection within a week. They were able to get the system approved and going. Then, the process with SoCal Edison was another two weeks at the outset. It took 10 days tops to get the permit to operate and go live. It's been live for about a month now and I wish that the app to monitor the production was better. These are LG panels so it's an LG app and the app doesn't work for the phone so I have to do it online. It's a cumbersome system. But the actual energy production seems to be on par. My first month's bill has come back, and it was like $20 from the Electric Company, which is pretty nice.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

The customer service with SunLux Energy is outstanding. They're constantly on top of everything. They kept me apprised of every step that was being taken. My project manager, Berlin, was fantastic. What's shocking was that they buy the panels from a distributor and they don't tell you what it is. Once we were into the project, I got a certified letter stating that if SunLux doesn't pay their bill, I'm getting a $14,000 lien put on my house. It never happened because they did pay it but I was very aggressive at first with these people thinking I didn't do business with them. I didn't sign any contracts with them.

After doing a lot of internet research and so forth, I learned that this does happen if companies go belly up. Even though I didn't make any business with the provider of the solar panels, they have a right to put a lien on the property for their merchandise. SunLux provided me the document saying that it was paid in full then they forwarded it directly to the company and I didn't have to do anything further. But it is kind of scary when you're in a contract with a company like this and you get this in the mail, and they don't tell you that this is gonna happen.

The guys that came over were very professional but it took about two months until I went to full production because half my panels were wired incorrectly. They came out once and tried but couldn't figure it out. We had to set another appointment for about three weeks out. Then they sent a crew of two guys. They spent all day and finally found the problem. There was reverse polarity on one of the panels.

Having SunLux, I'm saving a lot of money. My payments for the solar panels might pay the rest of my life for these things but for me, my payments are $170 a month. My average electric and water bill every two months was between 1,100 and 1,600 for a family of three and a swimming pool. The electric portion of it was between 600 and 800. I got air conditioning last year and my bill probably would have been about 1,700 just for electric. Now that we have the solar panels, the most I've paid for electric so far has been $65. It's definitely paying off for me.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

It took time to get answers to my questions, but installation was quick and painless. My supposedly local installation was manned, and very well, by a guy in Austin. I repeatedly asked if the panels would have to be cleaned and they said no, until a letter from the Manager a month later. But now a $50 electric bill instead of $488. Good.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

Erica ** did a great job notifying me when the panels were going to be installed, when the city was going to inspect them, and approval from AT&T. She communicated with me every step of the way. Then I was passed on to other people about accessing the web site and setting it up billing through AT&T. I was sent a web site that I could not get on to see how much energy the solar panels were making.

Jessica finally got back to me after I was sent an email and I complained that I could not pull the web site up she sent me. She had me put the SUNLUX app on my iPad. I'm sure you are aware that the app is only rated 2 out of 5. I explained to her that the app was all white. Then she had me pull up the LG EnerVu app. I was able to pull this one up, but she was not familiar with this app so she could not help me much. I later went back and looked at the reviews on the SUNLUX app and the only comment on this app is that someone else has iOS 14.5.1 and the app crashes and she just has a white screen.

A gentleman sent me a video that did not relate to the set up through AT&T. I finally was able to reach AT&T and they were able to answer my question. I was amazed that, to me all the complicated stuff with Erica went smooth while at the end I can't even get on the web site to look how the panels are doing or answers relating to the electrical provider. I would still like to see the site for SUNLUX on my Windows computer. Is there a web site I can access to see how it works on the SUNLUX site?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

Fantastic experience. The solar consultant I spoke with, Fernando **, was extremely knowledgeable. Fernando helped lay out a couple of possible custom tailored solar plans for my home which included details about overall cost, expected kilowatt hours accumulated by the panels, my own power needs, etc. It was informative and all of my questions/concerns were answered. I can't say that about the other companies I spoke with. If you're going to go solar go with Sunlux.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

Sunlux did a great job planning our system. Working with the city during the restrictions of COVID was an extra challenge, but Sunlux took care of everything. The installation was all complete in 8 hours, including a new service panel. The system is working as advertised. We are very happy with it.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

I could not be happier choosing SunLux. Everyone I worked with was friendly and professional. I was kept up to date with all stages of the project. The installation was seamless and timely. I would highly recommend SunLux to everyone.

SunLux Company Information