Call toll free
4.60/5
Based on 37 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Solar Spectrum energy plans, powered by Sungevity, were designed for homeowners looking for the advantages of solar energy without the upfront costs often associated with going solar. We offer a locked-in solar electricity price with payment options to fit your budget. We also take on the burden of operating, repairs and monitoring so you can experience the benefits of solar without any hassle.

Contact us today for a free consultation to find out if a solar energy system is the right fit for your home or business.

Solar Spectrum Gallery (3)
View More View More

47 Solar Spectrum Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 26, 2018

The service I received from Sungevity was good. They did the installation and I didn’t do anything but looked at it. Sungevity called me several times and asked about my experience, and I told them everything has been fine. I had an excellent experience overall. My bills are exorbitant, and I’m anxious to find a drop in my electric bill now that I have Sungevity.

Get expert buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 21, 2018

Solar Spectrum was the first solar provider I called. They were good about what they did and were very proactive in everything. They're fast, efficient and their project manager was totally awesome. I was totally happy with their sales and service. The whole process took two weeks but the delay wasn't with Solar Spectrum but with the City of Palm Springs in getting them out here to do an inspection. But as far as Solar Spectrum went, I had the final drawings within a short period of time and everything was done rather quickly. They then called up to say that they were coming out on a Saturday for the installation. I have the solar panels up and running since the end of March and I'm extremely satisfied with my decision to go solar because my electric bill was too high before. I would highly recommend Solar Spectrum.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I was into solar energy to save on electrical cost. I went online and looked at different websites and Solar Spectrum came up continuously as highly rated. Enrolling with them was good and comfortable. Once I decided to go with them, my home remodelling project wasn’t ready to accept the solar panels so I put them off for probably two months before they could actually install the unit. It took about 12 weeks to get the solar panels up and running but things went well and installation went smoothly. Their customer service rep stayed with me the whole way and he was good. The actual solar panels have been turned on and hooked up to Southern California for about three weeks. I hope I'd be satisfied with going solar.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I’m retired now and I wanted to put solar power on the roof. I looked at one service provider and then I found something on a webpage about ratings of companies, and Solar Spectrum was rated number one so I picked them. The initial person I talked to had all the answers right away, did the design, had me online with him looking at papers that they had so I didn't have to go to an office. He explained everything. I waited a day and talked to my wife and said that we wanted to do this. I called back Solar and they had me send the contract online and then they took over.

The project manager was very patient, always quick to answer any question and called if there are any changes. He understood that I live in a homeowner's association and that I had to get approval from them first. And then once we got the approval, they had the panels up and running within a day. The installation was fast. However, it took a little while for PG&E to respond. But obviously, PG&E is a monopoly so they weren’t nice to their customers all the time. The panels were producing power before PG&E signed off on it. PG&E just had to connect us to their network so that they could get the power to them. So, during the daytime, we were running on solar. And at night, we're running on PG&E.

Now, what we're doing is that PG&E buys the excess power from us and then our bill is reduced dramatically. I'm looking a month during the production and it looks pretty good, although we haven't seen the results yet on the bill. Still, I was happy with my decision to go solar. I thank Solar’s team for being nice, efficient and for being good people to work with.

Hi Michael,

We can't thank you enough for the thorough and positive review. We are glad to hear you are happy with your decision to go solar and we are happy you chose us to help make that a reality. Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help.

Senior Manager

Original review: May 11, 2018

My solar bill shot up a lot. My son and daughter-in-law were with Sungevity and they really liked it and thought it was great. Also, the offer that had been around was going to be closing soon, so I decided to try it. Enrolling was a good experience. I've worked with several reps, Christina being the latest one, and they were cheerful, helpful, and followed through. There also wasn't a cost to put the system in. The installers who came were very nice, quick, cheerful and were good to work with. I would recommend Sungevity every time.

Hi Margaret,

I wanted to reach out and thank you for your review. Christina is one of our very strong project managers and I am glad to hear she provided a delightful experience. Don't forget we have an amazing referral program for you to take advantage of if any of your friends decide to go solar. Welcome to the Sungevity family!

Senior Manager

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Solar Spectrum?

Original review: May 3, 2018

I ended up on Sungevity through Josh Fox’s grassroot webpage, and out of curiosity entered my information to see how much it would cost to go solar for our condominium. Although it turned out getting solar panels for our condos were a bit more tricky, Sonny helped me through the process of figuring it out. Inquiring about solar panels can be an anxious process because people usually have no idea how or what to expect, so I really appreciated his patience and friendliness throughout! If I were to figure out the logistics and get the approval from the HOA, I would love to go back and do business here!

Hi Sammy,

We appreciate you looking into solar with us. There are a lot of moving parts when it comes to getting a solar system up and running and we really feel our team is equipped to deliver the best customer experience in the industry. We hope you will keep us in mind for all of your future solar needs!

Senior Manager

Original review: May 2, 2018

My electric bill was bigger than I wanted it to be, then I went with Solar Spectrum as they were rated the top solar provider. Enrolling with them was very smooth. I worked with Pete and Quinn, and they were very patient. However, none of these solar providers understand the difference between a DC and an AC watt. And because of that, they sized the inverter too small. This is the fourth time now between my son and one of my brothers and my daughter. They all wanted to size it wrong. But aside from that, the rest of the experience was pretty good. The installers were in and out very quickly in half a day. Although, we're not yet done and I'm still waiting for my SREC which they are working on, the array is on the roof and it is operational right now. Solar Spectrum is a good company to work with.

Hi Phillip,

Thanks for the feedback. I just checked in with our team and we are on the final lap wrapping things up with Eversource. It won't be long until you're taking advantage of this beautiful spring sunshine. Don't ever hesitate to let us know if you need anything.

Senior Manager

Original review: April 29, 2018

I went online and Googled the top solar companies in our area. The search came up with Solar Spectrum as the number one by far so I went to their website and I inquired. They had a little form to fill out, just the basic name, phone number and whether we rent or own. Within less than five minutes, the gentleman called me and wanted to know how serious we were. We got started right then and they were punctual and helpful. The enrollment process was very simple. When they first do the survey when they talk to you, they want two months of your energy usage. But we were still in the process of buying the house then.

Solar Spectrum asked a bunch of questions, like what we had in the house, the electric, the gas, the computers, and the TV. They worked with us step by step in each room. They were very helpful in having the size of the system since we didn't own the home yet. It was very simple and they were personable. They explained things very well so it was a great experience. Other than they were very professional, they cleaned up after themselves as well which I really appreciated. They were great, courteous, polite and forthcoming. They didn't mind answering a bunch of "I have no idea what you're doing, can you explain it to me?" questions.

The longest wait in the process was getting the permit. Like any other construction, you have to have a permit. But Solar Spectrum talked us through at each step of the way. There was always someone calling us, saying, "Okay, this is your next step." Or when the guys came out, "We're waiting for the inspector to come out," and, "This is when you can expect it." Within about 24 hours of either direction, they were spot on. They said it will take 10 days for the permit. Within 24 hours, they were exactly right, so it was awesome. There was no hiccup. It has been seamless and great. It was exactly what we wanted. We have already referred friends to them and it was absolutely a wonderful service.

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for the amazing review and thank you for telling your friends and family about us. We have an industry leading referral program and it sounds like you're well on your way to take advantage of it. I'm also glad to hear that it sounds like our team was very thorough and made the construction project as simple as possible for you. If you ever have any questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me.

Senior Manager

Original review: April 27, 2018

Jeff is very professional and very thorough when he explain how the process of getting solar works from the application to final process. He always have answer to all my question. Jeff is very professional and knows his product. His presentation of how solar works from the application to final process was very thorough. He has answer all my questions so now I have more understanding of what to look for when I ask for a quote. Thank you Jeff. I hope to do business with you in the future.

Hi Tessie,

We appreciate you taking the time to learn about solar with Jeff. He is one of our all-star sales managers and prides himself on his knowledge of our product. Please keep us in mind for all of your future solar needs!

Senior Manager

Original review: April 16, 2018

I wanted to try to save something environmentally and save some money if possible, and I looked into going solar. I compared a couple of solar providers and Sungevity was better for the price. During enrolment, our experience was pretty good including their service except on the last stage and I had no clue what was going on. I worked with three persons, Scott, Eric and a lady. They're courteous and they work professionally. Everything was done on time, except sometimes the weather would not cooperate and they could not get the job done. They showed me everything and went through everything over the email but I didn't understand the technical stuff so I just trusted them. The installation was easy. I leased the panels and it got turned on a week ago. I can save better for the environment and save some money. I'm very happy and I will recommend them to somebody but I won't push even for the reference.

Hi Zhengyi,

Thank you for taking the time to tell about your experience. It is always a goal of ours to be very courteous and professional. If any questions come up, please do not hesitate to reach out!

Senior Manager

Original review: April 8, 2018

I needed to try to lower my electricity by having solar energy services done. I'm dealing with Solar Spectrum and they were mentioned as one of the top 10 companies in the Bay Area, doing solar systems and I chose them as one of the contractors that I would like to get a bid on. They were fairly consistent and were on top of things, and the price was reasonable. The enrollment process was very easy and I worked with Christina. She was very persistent but very comfortable to work with. I also dealt with their regional manager named Matt. I purchased the solar equipment and the quote was exactly what it was to install the system.

I've been a customer for about a month and a half now. But I've been having a little difficulty getting information from them regarding the list of people that worked on the solar system on my house. They asked for me to sign an agreement to use them as a solar provider. It was a fairly lengthy document and I signed it. They kept asking me to re-sign the contract and I don't know what that's all about. Also, the question is whether or not I'm paying money to Sungevity or to Solar Spectrum. Reading over the material, it seemed like I needed to get some assurance, because the sub-contractor that's supposed to be supplying material has sent me a notice that they needed to be paid. I was a little concerned about that after I received the notice and I wasn't sure whether or not they're making the payment to the sub-contractors. I made one payment already, but I have still another half of the payment that I have to make upon completion.

The solar equipment looks okay as far as I can tell but they haven't hooked it up yet. It has yet to go through the utility company's system. The installation didn't take long and the installers were very skilled. It's just a question of getting them to do the final turn on procedure, but it hasn't been done yet. They mentioned that they have to get together with PG&E, the utility company, and have it turned on or our system checked. But that hasn't occurred yet. I'm satisfied with going solar but a little bit leery about who I'm dealing with. Also, the email messages that they're sending me sometimes have different names on it.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I wanted to lessen my extremely high electric bill that I started to receive because of their tier system and Solar Spectrum, who bought out Sungevity, was rated number one. Solar Spectrum worked with their own finance company and I was weighing out the differences if they could help with the financing. I was learning as I went with them. But it was more feasible for me to just pay cash. So when I had asked for something to be provided like a set of as-builts, information on my solar or schedule even, I get hit back with a payment. But I don't do business that way.

They also got a bunch of young staff and my recommendation is that if they're gonna run a company like this and understand that it's a national company, they have guys on the ground in the different states but it would be really nice to have somebody on site. My project manager was a sweet, young girl. But I've been a project manager for many years and built many, large, commercial structures, and she was basically a coordinator. There were things that I asked for and they weren't responsive in providing them to me. They were more worried about the payment rather than worry about the service to me. And that put a bad taste to my mouth with them. If they're gonna be a project manager, at least, come on site to look at what's going on, have some continuity and be in contact with the installers and contractors. When I build projects, I am there for the owner to answer questions and work directly with the contractors.

But I was present the entire time the installers were there. They answered all the questions that I could even possibly come up with. They knew their job and were very good in what they did. I was really happy with them and even got to know them personally. Some of them, I knew already like the private contractor that was hired to come out and do the assessment on my house.

However, if I had to do things all over again, knowing what I know, I would have just done it myself working with local vendors. Right now, my solar is on and it's supposed to be a 10-year warranty. Working for many years in construction, I had contractors that call me years later and ask me, "Hey, is everything going well? Are you still doing anything? Can we help you out?" And that's what I'm looking forward to if it's even provided by Solar Spectrum. But the feeling that I have is that I'd never hear from them again. If somebody would come and ask me about solar energy, I would definitely help them do their homework because of my experience.

Hi David,

We appreciate you taking the time to share feedback about your experience. We are very glad you chose Solar Spectrum and we look forward to servicing your system for many years to come.

Blake Hazelrigg
925.241.1531 (direct line)

BHazelrigg@SolarSpectrum.com

Original review: April 6, 2018

Searching for info regarding solar panels. Pete was one of the best contacts I've dealt with. Very patient and knowledgeable. Spent all the time necessary to give me the information I needed. No high pressure, just very friendly.

Solar Spectrum response

Thank you for your feedback, Clyde! Always providing a great customer experience is the aim of our company. Please don't ever hesitate to reach out to us if there is anything we can review for you.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I work out at my house so I use a lot of energy during the day with lights and computers going. My energy bill was quite high, considering that I don't use my furnace because it costs too much to run it with electricity. But I live in country and have a well so I pay electricity to pump the water out of the ground. So, all in all, I felt that I was paying too much for electricity for too little.

I made several phone calls to different solar energy vendors. With 43 years of constantly dealing with people, I got a pretty good understanding of people. With another vendor, it was like applying for a mortgage. They had a thousand questions to ask and had to have a site guy come out and look at the house before they could approve anything. But the one I talked to from Solar Spectrum was a personable guy. He was easy to talk to and had all the correct answers. When I asked him, he didn't have to look up anything. He brought me up on Google and he could see my house. We talked about what I needed and what they needed, and it was easy. I felt comfortable enough and went ahead with it. But he told me it would be $21,000, but the final thing was $24,000. But compared to what the other guy wanted to charge me, which was twice as much as much for fewer panels, it was a no-brainer.

The installers missed the first day because they were coming out of Fresno and had a vehicle breakdown, so they couldn't make it. But they got here first thing in the morning the following day. They were there bright and early and got things done in no time. At 2:30, they were calling me up to tell me they were finished. They were all good. I have dealt with a lot of vendor people and have known a lot of contractors, so I know what they needed, what was expected, filled it all in and it just went like clockwork.

Then I've spoken with their customer service because they hadn't turned it on. They had to wait to PG&E to get the okay. So, I called several times asking questions about certain things 'cause I knew nothing about this stuff. They answered everything and called me a day or two later and said, "Okay, you can turn it on. We got the okay from PG&E." They walked me through and told me what switches to pull to turn it all on.

I'm waiting to find out and look at the electricity bill to see how much electricity I used compared to last year. And from what I understand, I wouldn't pay for it until I chew it up at the end of the year. But the cost of it all is about 60% of what my electricity bill was so I would be saving about 40%. Then after three years, I'd get a $7,000 tax credit. If I don't put that tax credit on the principal when I get it, the payment would go up a little bit. But even going up, it's still less than what I was paying for monthly for the PG&E. So, that's a win-win thing 'cause I'd still be saving money. I pay a lot of taxes because I'm self-employed so this should lighten my load. I would recommend them. In fact, I'm bugging my neighbors and telling them that they ought to do this and that it's gonna save them a lot of money.

Hi Phillip,

Thank you for the kudos! We are so happy you chose us to help power your life with sunshine and we sure appreciate you telling your neighbors about us. We have an industry leading referral program so make sure they let us know you referred them our way. If there is ever anything we can do to help out please let us know!

Blake Hazelrigg
925.241.1531 (direct line)

Blake.Hazelrigg@SolarSpectrum.com

Original review: March 30, 2018

I’m very happy with Sungevity. I got 13 out of 13 panels going now and all is well. The salesperson who went here was very convincing and it was a very good experience. She totally sold me on the possibility of doing solar. I like the whole deal. During enrollment I was not aware that you could rent the unit and not have to buy it. That was like a whole big enlightenment for me and put it back into the realm of the possible. The only difficulty I had was the unit kept slipping into the default or not working position and no one could figure out why for a while. I had various repair companies come to try to fix it. I've put it in last spring and for a long while it didn’t work. The last guy who came here was different than the rest. He actually explained to me what the deal was and what was wrong with it, which I understood, and he showed me how to look at the little dial there and see if all of my array was cooking. I’m a happy camper now.

Hi Jane,

Thank you very much for the kind words about your consultant and Solar Spectrum. We're so pleased that you choose us to install your system despite having many other options to choose from. We look forward to providing a great customer experience for years to come!

Blake

Original review: March 28, 2018

I wanted to go green so I looked into solar energy services. One of my neighbors had solar energy and gave me good reviews on it. A gentleman from Sungevity came through. We had a meeting and he showed me what I could save. He broke the numbers down to me. I signed up and everything else was taken care of by Solar Spectrum. Their reps were very kind, helpful and knowledgeable. It was a great experience. However, when I saw the closing agreement the math didn’t add up to close to the numbers that they had given me before. But installation went smoothly. The installers explained to me what they were gonna do, where they were gonna set up and everything else was history. Then I spoke to a gentleman this morning to turn on the system.

Original review: March 26, 2018

The enrolment experience was very good. It was a little bit more involved than I expected it to be and there were a lot of hoops to go through and things to get done. I spoke to Jack and Blake and they were both very good. They stood behind what they said they were going to do. They went above and beyond what I was looking for and they made sure that everything was right with me. I found working with them to be very comfortable. Downstream Construction did the installation and they were very professional. I was impressed with the job they did. They also cleaned up after themselves. However, I wished the electrician did the setup better. We also got a little lost along the timeframe as far as how fast it was going to be done but they reconciled what I was looking for.

The only thing is, they want me to pay of 30% of my loan in the first 18 months, which is tough. But they are expecting you to do that with your tax credit, which is greatly appreciated but it is still concerning to me. Everything that I got for the solar taxes eats up my whole complete taxes for the year and now, I have nothing extra. I have to put it all on my loans. That's a little nerve-racking, knowing that I have to be within the 18-month period since if you fail to do that, you will get penalized and your interest rate goes from 5.6 to 10%. Your payment would then terribly jump and would probably be $33.

But so far, I'm very satisfied with Sungevity's service. My concern was that I was not going to have enough power to offset my electric bill but I think I'm going to be fine. My current electric bills are $60 lower than my previous ones. It's a smart idea to have Sungevity. Solar energy saves you money and Sungevity has good reviews and ratings. You can definitely see savings and they would also give you credit if you have referrals.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I looked into solar energy services to offset from my PG&E bill, getting it down to nothing. I did a little research online and found out that Solar Spectrum was pretty good and I went with them. I enrolled with them on the phone and it was fairly easy. And the quote given to me compared to my final cost was spot-on. The initial installation went great and the technician did it in one day. Their representatives were knowledgeable about their systems and apparatus.

Right now, I’m waiting for a new inverter on the system. It went down and it’s stuck in night mode so it’s not collecting solar. The technician has to install it and it requires wiring. They told me they will be out here in 7 to 10 days and that was almost three weeks ago. I have got two emails to them and I called them. The one guy was concerned but I haven’t been able to get a hold and I emailed him yesterday again for the third time. So, I’m chasing them right now. Their customer service was just not responsive. My experience in going solar has been okay. The bills are the same because it’s not putting out so I don’t know what my savings will be.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I’ve always wanted solar energy services and I chose to go with Sungevity as they were the highest rated solar store in the State of Massachusetts on several locations that I saw. They called and we set up the time. We had an appointment with the rep here at my house then he came a few days after we talked on the phone. His name was Ronnie and he gave me the whole schteel and I signed up at that point. I first started talking to Ronnie at the beginning of February and then the system was installed on February 22nd.

However, I don’t feel real good about it since I’m not able to get any power out of the system. I just went out and shut things off and turned it back on, but it’s not showing anything that it’s generating power yet. It was only Thursday that I had clearance to actually turn it on. There’s probably something with the inverter and they might have to pull it out for service. But other than that, everything’s been great and the installation went smooth. The biggest worry of mine was building inspections, if they were going to pass things and getting it done. But that all went really quick. I already recommended them to others. I would tell others Sungevity's regular sales pitch and that the process will take a little while.

Hi Michael,

Thank you so much for the great review. I took a quick look at your monitoring portal and found your system to be doing very well! We appreciate you telling your friends and family about us so you can take advantage of our industry leading referral program. If you have any questions about your system please don't hesitate to reach out to me.

Senior Manager

Original review: March 22, 2018

I just bought a new home and it’s got a big pool and central air. So I was looking to defray some or all of the cost with it so I looked into solar energy. The side benefit is being green and helping the environment. I saw an article online for the top-rated solar companies and Solar Spectrum came out number one and they did everything, which I loved. I haven’t had to put one dime out of my pocket. They took care of even the permitting in my town and paid for that. They set everything up and just kept me informed as to what the next steps in the procedure would be and when I needed to be home and when I didn’t need to be and gave me enough notice.

First, I had to be home where they sent out just the estimator. And he went to the attic checking the structure, the roof choice and made sure that it would hold up, checking the roof. And he took all the measurements to send back to their design department. And then after that, they called me when the next time I need to be home. They sent me a copy of the design and everything for my approval. Everything was done with my okay throughout the process.

I’m still going through the process because even though it’s installed, I’m still waiting for my power company to come out and change the meter and then they’re going to put me online. With my memory the way it is, I go one step at a time. If that’s too far down the road, I don’t even know about it just yet. But they kept me informed throughout the whole process. They called me at least once a week even if there was nothing to report. They would say, “We are still waiting on this," which was helpful with my memory. Also at the very beginning they gave me a breakdown of how much money I would save and what I could make and hopefully, that would ring true once I’m online.

I feel very comfortable working with them. There was one time I had to call just to double check on whether I needed to be at the house and they had an answer for me immediately or they told me they would get back to me and then within the day they called me back and gave me my answer. When I’ve had to be home when they were ready to install the tracks that will hold the solar panels and then, I think they came back one other time then and finished the installation as well as doing the electrical, the inverter, on the outside of the home. They just told me that they’re waiting on my power company to come out and then after that they’re going to connect me with the actual program that pays me back for me selling my electricity back.

I was very impressed. I’m an electrician also so I have somewhat of an idea of what’s going on. So I thought I was going to catch them, but they definitely knew what they were talking about. When I asked about certain things I wasn’t positive, they’ve made sense to me. I would definitely recommend them and that’s not just because they have a program for paying me and them for signing them up. What’s nice is they pay both me for getting them and also they’d take money off of their installation. I recommend them because I’m just happy with the way everything went.

Hi George,

It is awesome to receive feedback containing your electricians expertise background! One of our primary goals is to ensure every customer has a wonderful experience and we are thrilled to hear this is what happened for you. Thank you for going solar with us.

Senior Manager

Original review: March 21, 2018

I have considered solar energy for many years and I decided it was time to do something. I went to some website that indicated that Solar Spectrum and Horizon were one of the better firms. I went through Solar Spectrum and they did what they said they would do and they did it in a timely manner. The system installation went well. Once it was installed, I don’t know if the system is running but I believe it is on. It’s been on maybe for less than a week. I had left at least one message saying I need help and I have not received anything. I got no support. I just needed more info and no one had supplied me that. But overall, my experience has been good.

Hi Robert,

We appreciate the review and are glad you elected to go with Solar Spectrum for your solar system. Happy to hear your solar experience was a positive one! I did send you an email as I want to ensure the team was able to assist you with viewing your systems production. Looks like it is off to a great start!

Senior Manager

Original review: March 20, 2018

A solar energy service is now affordable and it can still be good for the environment. Three years ago, it wasn't quite affordable. Sungevity was quick and convincing in terms of their whole process and benefits. It was easy to do business with them. I just went online and said I’m interested. And within a few minutes, somebody from their sales team called me and they looked up my home and my electricity bill and within two hours, they gave me a preliminary quote. They said they will have some revision on the quote.

After they have confirmed the preliminary quote, they said that the contract is ready to be signed and it is subject to somebody coming from their place to do the inspection. I signed the contract and somebody from their place came in a week later to do some inspections and confirmed that the estimates are all correct. And then, they assigned the project manager and he scheduled the different activities for permits and whatnot. They took care of most of the stuff for me and then the installation was done. They also got it registered with the company and took care of some of those bureaucracies along the way.

I already got my tax refund from last year. So, that part was good. And then I don’t have any electricity bill anymore. I’m still waiting to see what new they’ll bring. I’m satisfied with this experience and the benefits that I’ve gotten so far. I’m only three months into using this solar thing and they’re not the best months of the year on the east coast, but still it’s pretty good. I would recommend Sungevity to my friend.

Hi Bal,

With the summer months just around the corner it won't be long until you really start to see the savings. Thank you so much for the stellar review!

Senior Manager

Original review: March 13, 2018

We purchased a new home in May and I was looking for some cost savings. During the summer, we had a couple of bills, which were $500 and $600 and which we were unaccustomed to paying. A lot of that was due to our inefficiency. We had some construction going on. Moreover, it was very hot this past summer so the air conditioning was going. Based on that situation, we explored and I went online. I looked for the top-rated company. Sungevity came up and I started working with them.

I received great service from both Zach and Scott. One handled the sales side of it, and then the other was the project manager. When I contacted them, I got ahold of Scott. And every time I contacted him or every time he got in contact with me, we were able to answer questions and move forward with the process. We started in late September and the whole process was completed by mid-December. We were able to get everything completed by the tax year. He was here on a Saturday and worked with me for an hour or so on the computer looking at information, providing data, and giving me some things to think about. Then we sealed the deal the following week.

When I initially received a quote, they took a satellite picture of the roof and said what they could do and the number of panels. When they had somebody come out and do the measuring, it went from 44 panels to 14 panels, which made a significant difference in the initial quote. I had an idea from the beginning that there would be less because of all the vents and all the areas that we have on our particular roof. Moreover, the roof is slanted.

We had a great local service here. We had a group that did the installation and I was very impressed with them. They were very thorough and went through how the system works. It operates as a very easy process. I asked them if they could come early and they came earlier than what the appointed time was. In addition, they were courteous and efficient. It was a very smooth installation.

I’m pleased with the rates and I have paid under $10 in the last few months. And this is in the winter time when we have overcast and rain. I’m in tax season right now and I have a healthy tax bill because we’d sold some property. And to get to the place where I can access who, what forms, and what I need to apply for the credit, is the only thing that’s lingering right now. I had a very great experience with Sungevity.

Original review: March 12, 2018

We're very happy with them. We signed up October last year. They worked with my Con Edison bill and they did whatever they had to do with it to come up with figures. Then we sent pictures of the house and they determined how many panels would be needed. But since we went away, they had to put everything on hold and they were only able to install the system by September this year. The installers were very friendly and they explained things to me if I asked about something. They also cleaned up after themselves and finished the job in one day. Since having the system, there has been a difference in our bill. We have no charge for the electricity this month.

Also, everyone that I have talked to have been very nice. But then I started with one guy with a different company and then I switch to this and it got a little confusing for all of us. Also, my son recommended them to us and he was supposed to get a $1,000 rebate for it. It was one of the reasons why I went with them. However, it never happened. I was really upset about that. I called somebody but he didn't know anything about it.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

Sungevity had a high rating on the internet. I checked them out and I talked with several companies but Sungevity seemed to be a little more on the ball. Enrollment was pretty easy. They had a rep call me and he walked me through right it all. It took a little while though. We negotiated and it took about a month. The timeline was fine and I’m pretty satisfied with the whole process. Their reps were polite and knowledgeable. They answered all the questions and what they didn’t know, they found out for me. Also, the cost was good. I have seen other people had worse quality, less output, and paid more with another company. What I have anticipated from Sungevity is what they represented so I’m happy. The installation was excellent. It took them two days. All the guys were nice guys and they worked hard and got it done. If you are going solar, definitely ought to consider Sungevity.

Solar Spectrum response

Thank you so much for sharing your story, Franklin. We are so delighted that your installation experience was a positive one. We are still a growing company, so we sincerely appreciate your support. Don't hesitate to reach out to me going forward if there is anything I can help you with.

Senior Manager

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

We live in Florida where electricity is cheap, but we have a home in upstate New York and our electrical bill continued to go up. My son started to look into solar energy services and started to learn a bit more about solar heating, and he said that this might be a great idea for the lodge in NY. Also, we have friends that have been looking into solar panels. I recently started looking into solar and battery technology and solar still seems to be more than adequate to be able to replace or generate enough electricity to drive even the largest home. We looked at a couple of providers as part of the due diligence and Solar Spectrum has a facility or an office in Kansas City where my son is, so he knew about the company. He had also applied for a position there at one point, so somehow Solar Spectrum got on our radar screen.

All of the discussions were handled over the telephone. It took two or three weeks for all the pieces to fall into place, and we closed the deal in April. When ultimately, we made the decision to go with Solar Spectrum, we were able to go and sign all of our documents electronically. They have an interactive website. They had their inside sales rep who gave us the tools and we were able to calculate what our cost would be and how much our savings could be. We were also able to determine what size of panels or system we would need: 5-kilowatt, 10-kilowatt, 15-kilowatt, etc. to drive our electrical needs, and more importantly to be able to generate power just enough over what we might need. That was the nuance because most people don’t know that if you generate a bit more than you need then you don’t get any bill at all from the electrical company.

As far as the electrical system in New York called the National Grid, you need to generate 110% of your usage. They have all kinds of inane reasons why they use various ubiquitous terms like signal degradation and wires. They take what you generate on a monthly basis, and if it is a 110% more than the electricity we used for that month, then there’s no charge. The billing process is more black and white. We put in the late system that is big enough to handle 110% of our needs, and for us, this has been fantastic. We looked at various financing options and settled on one that works for our budget, and we have absolutely no regrets. Solar Spectrum is based in Oakland California and one of their sales departments is in Kansas City, where we worked with this representative. They contracted local companies around the United States, and they used APEX from Albany to install our system.

Whether it was APEX calling the National Grid or it was Sungevity calling APEX then calling the National Grid, somebody did all that. Everybody was able to show up, and they even coordinated with the electrical inspector in the town that we live in. APEX did a phenomenal job that we were up and running and generating electricity within 24 hours of them being on site. It was a two-day project but they got there around late morning one day and by noon the next day, they were done. The system has a series of switches down by the panels and the boxes, and the panels are all up on the roof which I got a 20-year guarantee on these, and I figured by then the technology will have been updated and it will be time to think about whatever is next. When they were done on day two, they flicked two or three different switches, and we were not generating any more electricity. It all happened overnight.

But the installation had to be choreographed with the National Grid for them to give us credit for our electricity since normally, the boxes are only measuring what is drawn into the house. When the old box was taken off, and the two-way meter was installed, so now it measures the electricity that’s pulled into the house and it measures the electricity that goes back to the telephone pole and to the grid. Since we installed the system in 2016, it’s going to be two years this May that we have not paid an electrical bill. We get a $16 administrative fee bill once a year and that was down from as much as $400 dollars’ worth of electricity per month. Our first bill for May had nine days where we were using electricity and that was it, and from June on, we haven’t paid an electrical bill. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend to anybody to use Sungevity and the sales consultant.

Solar Spectrum response

Thank you so much for your feedback, Bob! We are always so grateful when our customers take the time to share a positive experience. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to provide you with clean energy.

Senior Manager

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I wanted to cut my electric bill down. I happened to be in Lowe's and Sungevity had a booth set up. I started talking to one of the guys that were at the booth. The enrolment experience from start to finish was absolutely awesome. They did what they said they were going to do when they said they were going to do it. Everything was neat and clean. They left nothing behind. They told me what the first portion was and told me before they were going to come. A guy came out and he did his photos, his measurements, and he brought everything back. The next step was to come out with the install. They came out and they did everything there. When it was time for inspection, they made sure that they had a rep there that went through everything with the inspector to make sure that everything was up to par.

I worked with their rep, Katina. After we had the install, we got a letter from the electric company stating we can turn the system on. My electric bill went through the roof. I talked to her, it ended up being that I was being billed for what I was generating. And my electric company said, if I had solar, I cannot be using it because they had no idea that it was being used. That's when Katina really kicked in. She sent them emails showing their letters that they said we could turn on the system on this date and they never changed my meter. Sungevity's end was done but Katina went the extra mile. She followed through with the electric company to make sure I've got all of my credit back. Then, she went over every single day how much I generated. I got all the money back that I was billed that I should not have been billed for.

When I spoke to Katina, it wasn't about my budget. It was the fact that I did not want to have an electric bill and I did not want to have a loan payment because I wanted to buy my system outright. I still have an electric bill but it's not her fault. After we designed the entire system, with my consumption, and added a little bit extra in panels so that it would cover the loan payment, I then went out and got a hot tub. I explained to her, "Look, I'm not holding you to anything." The system is doing what's it's supposed to. It's actually performing better than what they were anticipating.

I'm very pleased with the system that I have. In the summertime, my electric bill is almost nothing and that's with the hot tub. We use it on a daily basis and when it's cold, it uses more and uses less when it's hot. Also, I work for a heating and air conditioning company and I work in attics a lot. I sweat all day and when I go home, I don't want to sweat so I keep my air conditioner set at 68 all summer long. Along with that, I have an electric dryer, an electric stove, two wells and two water heaters. My electric bill will be $16 a month. Which the hot tub, runs us about a $105 to $130 a month.

Hi Cliff,

We are so glad you chose to go solar with us. Katina is one of our All-Star employees and I will ensure she gets some recognition. It sounds like your system is the perfect fit. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me going forward if anything comes up.

Senior Manager

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I started looking at solar energy due to the rising cost of the delivery charges for the national grid. With Sungevity, everything was online. The result was done through an online model process. At that time, Sungevity was more high-tech as far as making the delivery on a design. The first system I did with Sungevity was easy because the financing went through Mosaic. They were in conjunction with Sungevity. The second system I did with Solar Spectrum was a lot more difficult because Mosaic would not do a secondary home. So, dealing with financing was a lot harder but as far as dealing with Solar Spectrum, it was exactly the same working with those guys. Jeff from sales and Quinn, the project manager, all worked great on both projects.

The only issue I have is the technical department as far as the follow-up on issues I’ve had with some of the equipment as they’re not really able to explain it very well. They don’t really seem to have the knowledge of the equipment they’re selling. Another problem was the issue of the bankruptcy. It came into play with the first system which was a lot more difficult to deal with because it was under the umbrella of Sungevity. I lost a lot of my warranty because of that. When they went into bankruptcy, they were not able to pass along the warranty on my system. But I still went with their newly developed company, Solar Spectrum, for my second system.

Post-installation, both companies were excellent. They were professional and outstanding and what they didn’t know, they usually got the answer for me within the day. Now, I’m not as conscious about the usage of the electricity because I’m producing it myself and it’s green. I would definitely highly recommend Solar Spectrum.

Hi Jack,

Thank you for choosing us for not one but two of your systems! We love having you a part of the Solar Spectrum family. I'm going to reach out now to see if I can help answer some of your more technical questions about your equipment.

Senior Manager

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I wanted a reduced electrical bill and I got introduced to Solar Spectrum Sungevity by one of the sales managers. Then, I met with them and they drew the plans out. There was the option to involve financing, we chose the one that works for us, and then we went forward with the installation. Their process for enrolling was fairly easy and simple. And I was impressed by the professionalism of the rep that I dealt with. But there was a delay in the filing in the process of finance in regards to the electrical company and they could perfect this aspect. The installation was a one-day process. I already know what and how many panels I needed and they just had to fit the size. Our experience since then has been great. We have a lower electric bill and right now, we’re very satisfied with our decision to go solar. I have already told some friends about Sungevity.

Hi Bill,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! I am sorry to hear about the hiccup that took place with your utility companies paperwork and I will look into it with the team to see if we can implement a better process. I am especially happy to hear you are saving some money while producing clean energy to power your household. If there is ever anything I can do to make your solar experience even better, please reach out to me.

Senior Manager

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I wanted to save money and a friend referred Sungevity. The setup process was easy and their customer service was pretty good. Jeff was my rep and he's in Kansas City while I’m in San Jose, California. He was very responsive, professional, and helpful. He was so perfect, an A+ overall. He’s always responding to my questions and it didn't matter what hours. If he didn’t know something, he would put me on hold for a minute and go find out instead of giving the phone to somebody else. And even though we conducted things remotely, it was done and was 10 times better than face to face. I would recommend Jeff to many other friends that I have. I'm happy with Jeff and their customer service rep, Cristina.

But we had a couple of issues the first week. Only four of the 20 panels were operating. Their people came out and repaired those. They really stayed with us and everybody was responding. We've had the solar for 2 months and it's been pretty good so far. Hopefully, we’ll save more money in summer unlike right now that it's winter and it's all heat and gas.

Solar Spectrum response

Thank you for sharing your experience, Hien! We appreciate the shout-out. Setting the standard in outstanding service is something we obsess over. We are so happy you worked with us to help create a planet run by the sun!

Solar Spectrum expert review by Zachary Shahan

Sungevity was one of the first solar installers to offer solar leasing, but it is not tied to that financing model. It uses a unique, efficient, satellite-based system for providing customers with an initial solar quote.

• iQuote: Sungevity’s iQuote system is a very efficient, satellite-based system for providing customers with a solar system quote without having to visit their property.

• Financing options: Sungevity was a solar leasing pioneer, but it is reportedly agnostic when it comes to leasing versus loan or cash options.

• Dedicated project manager: Sungevity provides you with a dedicated project manager so you don’t have to go through automated customer support.

• Service: Sungevity offers service to seven states in the U.S. in addition to providing service in Australia and the Netherlands.

• Manufactures: Sungevity doesn’t have a manufacturing arm, so it is subject to changes and potential lack-of-supply in the solar panel manufacturing market.

• Best for: homeowners, small and large businesses, government agencies and nonprofits, leasing and PPA customers, solar beginners and cash and loan consumers.

Profile picture of Zachary Shahan
Zachary Shahan

Solar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.

Solar Spectrum Company Information