Call toll free
3.82/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Solar Spectrum energy plans, powered by Sungevity, were designed for homeowners looking for the advantages of solar energy without the upfront costs often associated with going solar. We offer a locked-in solar electricity price with payment options to fit your budget. We also take on the burden of operating, repairs and monitoring so you can experience the benefits of solar without any hassle.

Contact us today for a free consultation to find out if a solar energy system is the right fit for your home or business.

View More View More

79 Solar Spectrum Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

Our AC bill was way too high and with our durable medical, the PG&E rates were going up too much. My husband did different research, and Sungevity was the one he came up with. We talked with the people at Sungevity on the phone, and they called back a few times to answer more questions. The only glitch we’ve had was whether we needed a new roof or not. That’s one thing that we wish was done a little differently. But now, we’re just waiting for our permit to get the whole process going. We've been waiting for three weeks and Sungevity said that sometimes Hollister takes longer on permits than other cities. We’re hoping it’ll be done by the end of December, so we can put it on our taxes for the current year. The rep from Sungevity just called and asked for a check on the first installment. So, I’m hoping that means it’s gonna be going through soon.

Get expert buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

Electric bills were way too high so I started looking into solar energy service. I went with Sungevity and their process of enrolling was great. The rep whom I talked to was very good and knowledgeable. He knew what he was talking about. He showed me some PowerPoint presentations and made it very clear. He took his time when he was talking to me and he didn’t really pressure me.

Sungevity gave me a very accurate quote and they just took the wheel. They saw what I was using and what I needed. Then they went to the engineers with the layout and asked me if that was all right. Sungevity's customer service team was fairly thorough, and we interacted through multiple emails. As far as installation, they didn’t really promise me anything, but I found the timeline to be slow. I didn’t think it was gonna take as long as it did and I think it was more of National Grid’s fault. Nevertheless, the installation was great and now I'm extremely happy when I look at my electric bill. Last month, my bill was zero dollars.

Resolution response: Nov. 15, 2018

Wrong company! But Blake ** me figure out which company is mine. Great help!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

It took months for me to realize that my solar panels that I leased from Sungevity, not Solar Spectrum, were not working. When the company was just Sungevity, before they declared bankruptcy and I guess bought by Solar Spectrum, I would be notified immediately if there was a problem with my solar panels. But it looks like something happened with my panels in July 2018 and I just noticed this November. Tried to call, tried to email, no one responds. I only got one vague, automated email. I also called every day for a week and NO ONE PICKS UP THE PHONE or returns calls. Not sure if this company is still in business.

My Sungevity customer manual states this: "Sungevity is also monitoring your system. If we see that your system is underperforming or it is turned off for some reason, we will contact you to diagnose and correct the issue and get your system back up to its optimal production." p. 6. This did not happen and when I logging into the system I realized the panels were not registering power collection since July 2018. So I lost hundreds of dollars because my system was not collecting data on how much power I was getting from the sun.

"Performance Guarantee If you are leasing your system, Sungevity has guaranteed that your system will produce a certain amount of power over the course of a year. In order for Sungevity to provide you with your Production Guarantee" p.7. If they never answer the phone or follow up on emails, then how can I get this performance guarantee. At this point, given my experience, I would beware.

Hi Sang,

Thank you for the updated review. I am glad we were able to connect and get this resolved for you! I hope you will keep us in mind for any future solar needs.

BHazelrigg@Sungevity.com

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I was a Sungevity customer and I purchased the system from Sungevity before they went into bankruptcy. I noticed that I have a big bill due in the end of this year so I called Solar Spectrum. Customer services line is too busy to take the call and said to try back later. Call all the number listed on the website. Same thing. Found a sales direct line and called. The rep said he will direct my concerns to another person.

And this is what I got in the email: "Thank you for contacting Customer Service. Our records indicate that you were a customer of Sungevity, Inc. That company was dissolved in a bankruptcy proceeding last year. In that proceeding, the Sungevity brand was purchased and is now being used by a different company than the one you originally did business with. Sungevity’s customers were not a part of that acquisition. You should have received notification of this fact through the bankruptcy some time last year. Unfortunately, this means that there is no longer a company standing behind the warranty and performance guarantee included with your system. If you are having problems with your system, you will need to find a service provider in your area to evaluate and address the issue."

What should we old Sungevity customer do? I have a system sitting there and seems like it's not produce any energy. I have no way to monitor its production. Originally they promise a 20 years warranty so now they change a name and everything just got pushed under the rug. This is unethical business model. We trusted the solar power/green energy will help protect and save the planet but we pay the price.

Hi Kin,

I am sorry to hear about the experience that the Sungevity Inc bankruptcy has caused for you. Please reach out to me using my contact information below and we will work to see what we can do to help improve your experience!

Senior Manager

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

30 years ago, I built a 12,000-watts 10,000-milliamperes 240-volt solar system at my former home in Lockwood, California myself. I’m very familiar with solar. And after the PG&E bill at the current house went from $50 where it wasn’t economical to put in solar to $150, we decided it was time to put solar on it. The prices from solar providers were pretty close to being the same, but Solar Spectrum has the availability to add a battery if I choose to add in the future. Also, this other company said that I have to own the home, but my daughter was the owner. The enrollment process with Solar Spectrum was easy. Two reps came out to the house and I was surprised at how far they came from. They’re getting the permit now and it will be installed by December 1st.

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the 5 star review. Your first system sounds impressive and it is clear you know your stuff! We are very glad you chose us as your solar provider this time around and look forward to help servicing your system for the years to come!

BHazelrigg@Sungevity.com

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Solar Spectrum?

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I have a Sungevity installed system that came with a warranty. It was working great, but about 10 days ago the meter stopped showing production. I have been trying to speak with Blake, but so far without success. I need my meter to show production to allow me to record the number for my Solar Reusable Energy Credit account. I had good luck with customer service from Sungevity and hope I will get the same from Solar Spectrum.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Energy consumption at home was getting a little bit out of hand so we wanted to go green, being in California, and save money in energy. I did my research. I looked at reviews online and contacted some solar customers before but for some reason, it didn’t work out. But Solar Spectrum had a good customer review so I decided to go to the shop. Enrolling was easy. You just make a call and get the process started, and get some emails going. I was impressed with Matthew's service and the honesty with the price quote and financing, and explaining the terms and conditions and how it works and general customer service. He explained to me exactly how much time it would take and the processing. It all worked out.

The project manager I worked with was great. He kept me updated on the progress of the whole thing because it had several steps: surveying the roof, getting the technical specifications, presenting the whole thing to the city council since Solar Spectrum needed permission, then setting up dates and getting the actual work done. They got the installation done in a day and a half. People came and I didn’t need to be at home. I just interacted with them for half an hour when they came, and then I went off. They replaced two tiles which were broken and installed the number of panels needed. The work was good. And then PG&E inspected after installation just to make sure it ran with the city’s code. All of that worked well and the final cost was the same exact rate as the quote. Going solar was a pretty good decision. I monitor every day so I see that it’s producing energy and I get paid. The whole experience was good.

Hi Mohan,

Thank you for taking some time to share details with us about your experience! We work hard to make the process as easy as possible. There are a lot of moving parts in the construction process and we are ecstatic to hear you tell us it was easy. It also sounds like the installation itself went smoothly! If there are ever any questions that come up, please just let us know!

Blake.Hazelrigg@SolarSpectrum.com

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

Lowering my utility services, as well as energy savings and the environment, led me to look into solar energy services. I had good feedback from some of the people that have Sungevity services, and I did some research, too. Noticed that they were doing a great job, I had the opportunity to talk to them and they provided me with all the services pretty fast, so that was a plus. They also answered all of my questions. Enrollment was pretty fast. I was checking online, then I submitted my request for a contact and they call me two minutes after. So, that same night, I received a lot of information that was gonna be useful more than what I had in the past, from current customers. Then we set up an appointment.

The appointment was performed within 24 hours. They arrived at my residence on time and they answered all of my questions again. They were extremely polite people. Right now, we're just waiting on the permit to somehow go ahead on performing the installation -- that should be done sometime this week. Also, the quote that I was given, it was granted in the contract. For recent people that worked with me, they have their services already stated that they have no issues at all. I'm pretty pleased with what I received. Great customer service and I'm happy. They have been tracking everything, contacting me, providing me with updates. Not many people take time to call you back and ask you for any questions you might have, make sure that everything is taken care of, that if you have any other questions, they'll be there for you. You don’t see that often.

Hi Flor,

Thank you for the awesome review! We sure are happy that you chose us as your solar provider. Please don't hesitate to let us know if there is ever anything we can do on our end to help improve your solar experience.

Blake.Hazelrigg@SolarSpectrum.com

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

In California, I anticipated that the rates for energy are going to go up because of the fire damage in so many homes. So, I decided to look into solar energy services. I went online saw that Sungevity was rated as the best. I went with them and found that their rep, Jacob was fantastic. He had a very soft-style approach that was more about information. I felt very comfortable.

Enrolling with Sungevity was very easy. Some documentation that we had in the computer and then printed made it incredibly easy to sign the initial documents and scan them back to their reps. Thereafter, it was a one day install and everything was up and running in less than a month. Though we're anxious to see how our bill shows up, so far, I'm very satisfied with Sungevity. I'm very happy with how the process went. I had solar installed before at my previous house and it wasn't as easy.

Hi John,

Thank you for the kudos. I will ensure Jacob and his manager are aware of the awesome feedback you provided. If there is ever anything we can do to help out with your solar journey please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

Blake.Hazelrigg@SolarSpectrum.com

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Worst company out there. They don’t tell you that they are directly related to Horizon Solar which has terrible ratings everywhere online. They lie to you over the phone continually. They get the panels on your roof right away so that you can’t back out of your contract. Then if you need any type of electrical work done forget it. They will make appointments and never show up. They continually make promises they don’t keep. This is a long relationship with a company that is unable to manage their independent contractors. If they can’t even do that how are they going to manage your solar energy for the next 20 years??? Do yourself a favor go with a better company. This is truly the worst company I have ever dealt with in my many years of owning a home.

Hi Julie,

We sincerely thank you for bringing your feedback to our attention and are really sorry to read about your experience. Upon reading your review, I reached out to our customer advocacy leadership team to see if there is anything we can do to make your experience more enjoyable and want to let you know someone will be in contact shortly.

Warmest Regards,

Liz D.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I believe that I was subjected to a "bait and switch" scheme. I was sold a 6405-watts replacement photovoltaic system in direct competition with a COSTCO system. I paid to enlarge the system to 6710-watts to meet future needs. I was forced to pay $24,681 for the complete system before Solar Spectrum would put it online. Once online, I discovered that the Solar Edge 5000HT inverter would clip my production at 5000 watts during the peak summer months. I am paying for electric to my utility for the first time in 16 years. I bought the panels. Solar Spectrum seems to only be able to deal with customers who rent the system from them. They have also granted then denied me access to the panel performance data. I believe I own the panels, the warranty and the right to evaluate the performance of each panel.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I wanted to eventually try to swap off of gas entirely so I'm moving my whole house towards electric. Sungevity had a really good website. I'm a web developer so that's something I look at. The reps were pretty attentive and got back to me regularly. It was a pretty good experience. But they could have explained the tax refund more elaborately. I didn’t really understand the process. I had to call them a couple of times and get a manager to really explain it to me. So how the tax rebate work exactly wasn’t very clear.

I knew that I get a percentage back on the cost of solar panel. I assumed that I would have to apply that to my taxes yearly based on my month payment and I’d get a tax return back per year on whatever I paid towards the solar panels that year. But it turns out it’s one large lump sum for the whole cost, and then that’s it. So, that wasn’t really clear to me. One lump sum versus a yearly sum, that wasn’t really explained.

Their quote and the front cost were pretty much the same. The installation went pretty good. The installation team was really cool and nice, and they got their job done. They failed to install several safety measures and they had to come back later to install them. So, that was a little upsetting. But the installer set it up pretty quickly. The UI panel that tell me how much electricity I’m making and it’s pretty cool. I'm enjoying it.

Hi Noah,

We sure appreciate the 4 star review! Sorry we had to make an extra trip to wrap things up. If there is ever anything we can do to help with your solar journey, please just let us know.

Senior Manager

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Our experience with Solar Spectrum has been fine. We had a $400 bill back then and then cut it in half by putting solar in. I deal with Lowe's all of the time and Solar Spectrum was in Lowe's. I trust Lowe's for everything and so I signed up with Solar Spectrum. Lowe's was part of their setup and was sponsoring Solar Spectrum.

People from the Solar Spectrum came to the house. However, it took time when their installers put the panels in and inspected them. Still, they did a great installation and they're probably the best in the neighborhood. There are people that come up to me all the time saying what a great job was done. The quote they gave us was perfect and on target. I needed to get everything done to my satisfaction and everything was done perfectly. The bills also come through fine. In the beginning, they didn’t send out a bill ‘cause they were confused, but I got that straightened out. Overall, I'm happy with Solar Spectrum and 100% satisfied with them. I recommend it to all my neighbors, friends and relatives.

Hi Ron,

Thank you for the wonderful review! We are very glad to hear your are pleased with the overall experience and we love it when our customers get compliments on their systems aesthetics. If you ever have any questions or concerns along your solar journey, please do not hesitate to reach out to us and we will be happy to help in any way that we can!

Blake.Hazelrigg@SolarSpectrum.com

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I was comparing companies and I called Sungevity up. They were the only ones that offered me a great plan to buy solar. Everybody else wanted me to rent and I didn't want that because I wasn’t gonna save any money. Sungevity approved me for $182 a month and they have been very good. At the beginning when I first applied, I talked to their sales representative, Alex, and he was very knowledgeable and great. He was the one that suggested up buying solar.

At one point, I almost canceled with them but Alex got back on and he explained everything very much in detail. He said that come 2019, the government is gonna send me $11,000 check and Sungevity said that I can keep it or I can give it to them. If I keep it, then my payments will go up to 283. I’m gonna give it to them because then I’ll only owe 21 instead of 32. I would just continue to make the payments. He also said that I can sell the racks and I can collect the full amount for that. And for every 1,000 I sell, I get $250 or more depending on what New Jersey is sending up.

That was very pleasing for me because I have a friend that has solar who has had it for years and she's to get $650 for each thousand she sells. Now, its production has dropped down. I also know that the system would make 21,000 for a 15-year contract and I know less and less is going to be produced. But because I’m being reimbursed for the racks that I’m selling, that is paying a lot of it. So I'm not really paying anything and that was what I liked.

Alex was also very upfront. One company called me and said that Sungevity is a very bad company. They said that Sungevity went bankrupt, lots of people lost their money, and this and that. Alex said that they did go bankrupt but another company from California stepped up to the plate. Alex said that he felt that what the other company did was really wrong though and that I'm gonna lose my money if I use them. That bothered me because that is not really good salesmanship by the other company. But Alex was the one that won me and fast. He was absolutely wonderful in explaining everything and I thought I was gonna give it a shot. Hopefully, they stay in business.

Also, I went for the better panel. I’m a big fan of monocrystalline, not polycrystalline, and that was the reason I didn’t put Vivint and all those other ones on because they use all the polycrystalline. They make them overseas so they may get it in bulk for cheap prices and make a lot of money. I did a lot of research for the past five years and now, I’m gonna be an owner and I’m pretty happy about that.

Sungevity's reps have been very courteous, informative, and they have been doing the best they can. But there were cancellations when they were coming out to inspect and the paperwork wasn’t finalized even if they said they did. It’s a game of going back and forth. But I understand these things are gonna happen. I just wish it would have went in time for the next summer. But the problems are coming from within my township and from Atlantic City Electric Company, not Sungevity. I applied for this way back in May and we’re not gonna be finalizing until the end of October. The reason being is I bought the system. So it is really dragging along and I’m very disappointed.

Everything has been installed and Sungevity has to come out again next Wednesday. Their rep, Lisa, has been setting up everything with me when the guys are coming out with the inspections. They have to go to PG&E, the Atlantic City Electric Company, get their approval, and that’d be another two weeks before they’re gonna come out and change the meter. That is terrible and I lost all of the best sunshine that I could’ve ever had.

Despite all that, I would recommend Sungevity. I know many people on the block are gonna wait to see what I do. We’ve got a lot of Vivint here, but they rented. And there is another one out there, SunPower, where a girl rented it for a few panels. Her electric went down to $48 a month but she had a small house. I also like the fact that Sungevity put 28 panels on. They knew I didn’t wanna use that many panels and many people were talking about 42 to 48 but I’m not doing that. If I didn’t put enough panels, that is on me.

Hi Linda,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. This is the type of feedback we strive for day in and day out. If there is ever anything we can do to help with your solar experience, please just let us know!

Senior Manager

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I am writing my review based on my experiences with Solar Spectrum. This is the company that bought Sungevity. The irony is I called them based on their top review rating on this website. Anthony was very informative although he required me to sign an agreement to get the estimate of what it would cost to have solar put on the house. All of this occurred in one phone call. I was impressed with the expedience, but concerned about docusigning the agreement. He said the agreement wasn't valid until the Solar Spectrum people had signed it and sent me a copy with both signatures.

I was also given a Notice of Cancelation, which by law I have 3 days to use. He sent an home inspector out to see if our roof was a viable option for solar within the three days. I canceled the agreement, (which still was not signed by the company) on the third day. I sent this to Anthony. He responded several times afterwards, so I know he received it. 10 days later I get a message from the project manager at Solar Spectrum saying they have submitted my project to the building dept. for a permit! I also get an email from billing to go over how I would be billed for my project. I called the billing dept. and explained that I had canceled this agreement 10 days prior.

Today I get a phone call from the project manager saying I would be billed for the work they had performed after I canceled my agreement. I told him that he had no right to perform this work, due to the fact that the agreement was canceled. He argued with me until I was infuriated! He also told me that I didn't send my Notice of Cancelation to right person...which was the person who request said agreement from me in the first place. I told him that I would seek an attorney if I receive a bill from him. He said to do so and that "we're a big company"! I feel bullied, harassed and threatened by this company. I would advise to stay away from them.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

My electricity bills averaged over $350 a month. I kept thinking about going solar for the longest time and one day online, somebody came out with a thing that said, “The 10 best solar companies in California.” I called number one and that was Solar Spectrum. Everything was A-plus about my experience with them. Enrolling was simple and very easy. They were able to look up my house without even being here using aerial shots like Google Earth and told me what it was gonna take. Then we put a deal together almost immediately and everything was very smooth. The rep I worked with was a wonderful guy and he was very easy to talk to. He seemed to be very interested in my experience and it being a good one. Also, the quote they gave me was almost the same as the final cost.

I have a weird shaped roof and there are places on it that you really couldn’t put solar panels. But they gotta be able to see the sun, or else the system doesn’t work. Solar Spectrum's reps did a good job and when they finished, it didn’t look bad. On the front of my house, you wouldn't think I have solar unless you really start looking. I’m happy with what they did. Their customer service reps call me quarterly as well and everything is working fine. In fact, there is an appointment next Tuesday. It has been a year and somebody is coming out to check and make sure everything is working right. I should’ve gone solar before but technology got better, so I feel like I did the right thing at the right time. I would highly recommend Sungevity too.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

My electric bill went up $400 dollars last month and my electric company told me that my solar panels aren't performing. So I called Solar Spectrum. I called them 4 or 5 times and got an answering machine every single time. I then sent them an email and got an automatic "your request has been received" with a number to call for immediate assistance. I called the number and got a machine twice more. I called the regular number a couple more times too. I'm getting absolutely nothing from them and we had a 20 year maintenance contract when we signed up with Sungevity customer before the bankruptcy. We were assured that the change to Solar Spectrum wouldn't interrupt anything. Clearly they lied.

Hi Francesgrace,

I can definitely understand that a $400 increase in electric bill would catch you off guard. I took a look into your systems production and found that it has been consistently producing and meeting our estimates. I am guessing that the increase in billing is due to higher usage in the summer months (AC unit?). I am going to send you a direct email so we can review this and I can address any other questions or concerns you may have.

Blake.Hazelrigg@SolarSpectrum.com

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I recently noticed their online production monitoring isn't being updated so I first sent an email and then I've left a voice message. I've waited days with no response from either one and so I tried calling back and selecting the option that I was interested in purchasing. I waited awhile and then the recording stated they couldn't take my call and to leave a message. So now what do I do? My first company Sungevity went bankrupt and now I'm wondering if this one has too? I've searched the web and this site is the only place where I've found out anything and it seems others are having this same type of problem but no one yet seems to know what the problem is at this company in terms of not communicating with its customers.

Hi Phil,

I am sorry to hear that you had trouble getting through to our customer service team! I just looked into your systems performance and found it is doing very well and it looks like we have granted you access to our monitoring portal. I just sent you an email directly as I want to ensure all of your needs and questions are addressed.

Blake.Hazelrigg@SolarSpectrum.com

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Purchase my solar panels from Sungevity in 2012. I have A roof leak under the solar panels. I have texted and emailed and Received an automated case number but no follow up. I keep calling and emailing with no results, nobody will call me back. We are in the middle of the monsoons and I have water leaking out of my dining room light, the roofers will not fix it because of the solar panels. I cannot get anybody to contact me. My next step is an attorney.

Hi Susan,

Sorry to hear that you did not receive a quick response from us! I took a look into your account and found that another company actually services your account. I will reach out to your directly and provide you with their contact information to ensure you have that moving forward.

Blake.Hazelrigg@SolarSpectrum.com

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I have e-mailed Solar Spectrum at least 5 times over the 2 weeks with their response being, "I'll have a tech check the problem" with my panels in the order it was received. I called yesterday and left a message. My panels have not been producing since July 9th and my electric bill went up over $250 last month. I'm at a point where they can come and get their panels. I am very dissatisfied with their customer service dept since no one seems to care about my problem. I'm also unable to check into my production to see if anything has been done.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

For past one week I have been trying to reach Solar Spectrum. They never lift the phone and they never communicate. My system is not producing any electricity and also website is not showing producing values for whole year. They gave us 25 years warranty and not maintaining it. This is frustrating, we never expected this kind of company exists in USA.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I checked all of the solar energy providers and Solar Spectrum's price was reasonable. I got solar energy to save money and it was environment appropriate also. During the enrollment process with Solar Spectrum, I kept asking them for all the paperwork, but they never sent it to me even though I asked them at least nine times. And I still haven’t got the papers. All I needed were the papers or the documents, all my warranties and all those things. And also for the rebates, I asked them to send me something so I can show it to my accounter, but nothing. I also had a bad experience after they were done with the setup. Once they got their money, they didn’t care about me and they ignored me. It has been four months since they installed it, but even the sales rep is not responding to my calls anymore because he got his commission. He doesn’t need to worry about me and he’s looking for somebody else.

Everything about the installation was easy and on a professional level. Everybody did their job and they finished it within one day. I don’t have any problem as far as the use of the system, it’s just the customer service or support is not there when I need them. But we’re saving money on the energy right now, so that’s a good thing.

Hi Behroz,

Thank you for the review. I am glad to hear you had a good experience with the install and that you are saving money. With that said I want to apologize that you have had trouble getting the papers you need. I am more than happy to assist with this. If you would please reach out to me using my contact info below and just let me know what I can provide to help I will get this sent over to you. I look forward to doing all I can to turn your experience around. Thank you for choosing us as your solar provider!

Original review: July 29, 2018

Did not honor the 20 year warranty. Sungevity installed our solar panels two years ago. We received a bill of over $1500 from Edison. I contacted Sungevity and the following is the response I received from Solar Spectrum: "​​Thank you for contacting Customer Service. Our records indicate that you were a customer of Sungevity, Inc. That company was dissolved in a bankruptcy proceeding last year. In that proceeding, the Sungevity brand was purchased and is now being used by a different company than the one you originally did business with.

Sungevity’s customers were not a part of that acquisition. You should have received notification of this fact through the bankruptcy sometime last year. Unfortunately, this means that there is no longer a company standing behind the warranty and performance guarantee included with your system. If you are having problems with your system, you will need to find a service provider in your area to evaluate and address the issue."

This email tells it all! They will not honor Sungevity's existing customers, which Sungevity told us whoever acquired them would. They seem very professional, but do not honor their responsibilities. I'm also concerned with ConsumerAffairs that has them listed as one of the top solar installation companies. ConsumerAffairs you need to dig into Solar Spectrum and find out what their business practices really are. How many customers will Solar Spectrum obtain (and guarantee 20-25 year warranties) before they file bankruptcy again and start under a new name?

Hi Linda,

I am sorry for the poor experience that the Sungevity Inc created for you. We are a new company with new management and are working hard to provide our customers with the best product and experience in the industry. If you ever have any solar related questions, I would be happy to answer them for you and do all that I can to help turn your solar experience around.

Senior Manager

Original review: July 19, 2018

I had solar on my previous house that I sold and I wanted to use solar again on my new purchase. I enrolled with Solar Spectrum and at first, my experience was great. However, there was some miscommunication between the project manager and some things with Redding Power here and me. The project manager wanted me to get some information to Redding Power, so he sent me this paperwork over. I filled out what I needed to fill out, took it over to Redding Power and they were supposed to fill out a ton of stuff from Spectrum before I even went there. But it didn’t happen, so I had to resend it back to him then he had someone else come pick it up from me and took it over there. If it was filled out before I received it, it would have been great, instead of me going over there and turning it in.

Then, I asked for one part of the equipment to be mounted inside and I checked into it with the city, the code, and I was fine to do it. I talked to the project manager and he was supposed to do that but somehow, he forgot to give the plans for it to be on the exterior. And when they were done, I asked where they mounted it and they said it was in the outside of the building. But it was done now, so I told them to leave it. Once we got that through, it was good. It’s just that I’m a person that when you tell me something, that’s what I’d expect. And when you tell me something totally different and kinda backtrack a little bit, that doesn’t sit well with me. But we worked it all out.

The sales side of it was great and the Spectrum sales guy was really good. If I couldn’t get a hold of the project manager, I would call the sales guy I spoke with, and he would make sure the guy got in contact with me. Then, the installation of the panels took a couple of days.and it was really clean. The main part was installed in a day, then they had to wait for something from the city, so they had to replace the panel, which took another day. The system has been live now for about three weeks but I can’t see what it’s producing. I can’t determine that unless I call them and they can see it. I shouldn’t have to do that. I’ve called a couple of times about it and it’s supposed to be fixed.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Because of the high cost of electric bills, I looked into solar energy services and was going through Sungevity and another company. We called up Sungevity and Mike was the main guy I dealt with. They explained a lot of things to me and they had the better deal. We made the decision that way. Everything went good with the installation. They came out on time, went through the things with me and checked if I needed anything changed and then they accommodated. The entire process took close to two months and they did really well for me.

Hi Alfredo,

Thank you for providing the amazing feedback. We always work hard to provide this sort of experience and it is great to hear it from our customers when we do! If there is ever anything I can do to help along your solar journey please don't hesitate to reach out to me.

Senior Manager

Original review: July 13, 2018

My experience with Solar Spectrum started off well. They made financing and scheduling calls and set up the panels within a reasonable amount of time. Then the problems started raining down. My setup failed the first inspection with the town. No big deal... these things happen right? The two guys who set up the panels initially came out again and made some repairs/changes and I was given a date for a second inspection. I couldn't be there as I was getting surgery that day but my folks were. My dad is very electrically savvy so I figure it's a good idea for him to be there anyway. So I come home from my surgery and my folks tell me it failed the second inspection and they didn't have much to tell me.

So I figure I will hear something from Jeff in New Jersey or Christina who has also been managing my account. Nothing. So I call and leave them both messages.

Nothing. I call and email both of them. Nothing. No answers, no responses. One guy I emailed, Quin, got me a rejected email message as if his email account isn't there anymore. Today is July 13th 2018 as I write this. The panels failed their second inspection July 3rd. I still haven't heard a peep from anyone at Solar Spectrum. Every number I have called that I can find tells me they are super busy and to leave a message and someone will call back. I have left messages at 4 different voicemail locations. 10 days of absolutely no communication and all I have right now is a shiny roof addition.

The electrician who did the work did a very clean aesthetic install but apparently missed some code violations. The problem is a mystery to me at this time. Can anyone out there shed some light on this for me? Did Solar Spectrum suddenly close up shop? I haven't given them a dime yet fortunately but DCU is probably not far from sending me a bill I'm guessing. They have sent me all the initial literature for a new member with a loan after all. Can anyone give me any suggestions? Thanks.

Original review: July 10, 2018

My family, my daughter and her family, and my other daughter and her family lived in my house for three years. The one was going to school and the other one was paying for a house, so my electric bill was off the chart. Right when they moved out, I decided to look into solar. I did some homework on some good solar companies and I chose to do it at that point in time because I wanted to beat and cheat PG&E, and I did. Then I found out that they based it off to annual income and I said that I’m gonna get it out then because that way, you get no more than what you use per year which means I'm gonna be paying a bit more and more because the solar system that I'd get that they would only approve would surpass my needs. The electricity that I need is gonna surpass my needs that my system can buy, so instead of getting an 8.2 system, I got an 8.5. I beat the system at PG&E because they spent a 10-kilowatt super powerhouse.

I looked on the internet and I was looking at the prices too then I thought I'd go go with Solar Spectrum. The enrollment was easy. I called and spoke to Eli and another rep, and they were real nice. I was a little bit ahead and I wanted to get the thing going. But they got all the works and they just reminded me to sign my documents online which I did. During the installation, I just watched them when I was out here once in a while. The installers cleaned up all their mess. When the team forgot to put a couple of tags on and do some things, the inspector came out and took care of that real quick. Solar Spectrum finished it in one day and they turned it on for me. They said they weren’t supposed to, but it really didn’t matter because the power can’t be used until PG&E approves it. They just turned it on so when I got the okay from PG&E, I didn’t have to go outside and do anything.

And one thing I like about Solar Spectrum is that we would talk about leaks in the ceiling and they said that there’s a triple seal that they have on their things going to the roofing so they’ll come out and take care of it. Since then, I’m just eager to look at my next bill because my bill before I got solar installed was only $69. It used to be $300 with all my family living with me. But there’s one thing going around where I can sign up for another provider that guarantees me that my gas doesn’t go over $30 a month for three to four years so I did that. I knew that PG&E did it on my annual usage so with what I was using the prior year is going to take about 60 years for that to catch.

But I wish I could have gotten a battery with the system but they are very expensive. I wouldn’t be able to afford an extra $15,000. Besides, I generate about 80% more power than I use so even though I run my air conditioner the whole day long because I’m permanently and totally disabled and I get anxiety so I get hot all the time, I’m sure PG&E has taken the generated power and they'll send me a nice paycheck at the end of the year.

Hello Clemmon,
First, we would like to thank you for the thoughtful review. Next, CONGRATS on going solar. those are some awesome savings! We will be sure to let Eli and the team know about the awesome shout out as well.
Here’s how
• Earn $2,000 for your third referral and every referral thereafter.

* We make it as easy as 1, 2, 3, to share your love of Solar with family, friends, and neighbors. Login to the Ambassador portal. https://sungevity.getambassador.com/ Straight from your portal you can share your Link on social media or enter referrals manually by using the direct entry form. For Assistance Call: (866) 488-1922 or Email shineitforward@sungevity.com Warm Regards, Liz D.

Original review: July 3, 2018

My wife and I decided to switch to a solar panel system based on our religion. I’m a Bahá'í and our supreme body, Universal House of Justice, decided that each individual should also help to prevent this atmospheric heating by not using the unrenewable resources like coal and oil. We should try to use the renewable energy sources like solar and wind instead. At least an individual, although it may not be financially visible, we can do something to prevent this wrongdoing.

I saw solar energies on the computer and I saw that Solar Spectrum is the best so I gave them a call. However, they work with the computer only. There was no mailing and that really gave me a little hard time. I'm 83 years old and I’m not computer savvy especially when signing via the computer which was mind-boggling for me. Other than that, Solar Spectrum was really good. They followed up and it smoothly sailed through. The installation was wonderful. They said that it would take two days but they finished it in half a day. I have my solar energy since May 3rd and I’m now enjoying it. I put the cooling to 80 degrees instead of 84 to 85. Now that it's free as it's from the sun, I don’t have to pay or use somebody else’s energy source. I’m very satisfied with Solar Spectrum.

Hi Emin,

Thank you for the incredible 5 star review! We are always working to eliminate as much dirty energy usage as we can and we couldn't be more thrilled that you chose us to help you make the switch! If your friends or family plan on doing the same thing, don't forget that we have the best referral program in the industry. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us if there is ever anything we can assist you with.

925.241.1531 (direct line)

Blake.Hazelrigg@SolarSpectrum.com

Original review: July 2, 2018

I work in the semiconductor industry so that was part of the reason why I went solar. I’ve seen the efficiency of it. It also has gotten to a point where it made sense and we’ve lived in our house now of 30 years and we were getting ready to redo the roof. I thought well, this is the perfect opportunity if we’re gonna do the roof to put solar up there while we’re at it. We checked a couple of other companies and they didn’t look really good. We went online and did some searching on Google and Solar Spectrum came back with great reviews. They were also listed as number one. We called them and we spoke to Sonny. He was very helpful, walked us through the whole thing over the phone, and we made an appointment right there that night for them to come out and start taking a look at things. They were out here within a week or so after that.

They made it at our first convenience. They were here and looked at the roof. They said the roof needed to be replaced. They also said that they will give us an estimate and when we have the roof done, let them know about it and then they can schedule the job. They got back to us with the estimate within a few days, which was well within when they said they would and it was actually a better system. Also, I expected it to be a higher price because it was of higher quality but it was not that much higher in cost. It was a better deal so we decided to go with it. We had a hold-up with a roof contractor. Once the roof contractor got here and got the job done, we contacted Solar Spectrum again and said we’re ready to pull the trigger and they got the ball rolling.

They get out here and got the system installed. They were done in a matter of hours. They also cleaned up everything and did some things that weren't part of the contract. They put access panels outside the house at no charge. Then the next hold-up was waiting for the local inspection that happened. That took a while. That’s not Solar Spectrum’s fault but the fault of the local folks here. But once that was done, we were up and running within a few days. Solar Spectrum had people right out here to get the system going and we were happy with them. It’s going great. We're very pleased with Solar Spectrum.

Solar Spectrum response
Hello Michael, we would really like to let you know how much we appreciate you leaving us such a thoughtful review and we will be sure to let Sonny know about the awesome shout out! It was very nice to read.
Now that you have experienced the many benefits of going Solar with us let us reward you with up to $2000. Here’s how
• Earn $2,000 for your third referral and every referral thereafter.

Original review: June 27, 2018

In order to save money on electricity and to utilize the sun for energy needs, we wanted to get solar. Sungevity's rating made us chose them. It was fairly easy to get going with their program. But there was some miscommunication involved during the construction, which caused some issues that we ironed out between us. There were a couple of times where we weren’t notified that a crew was coming out and so were awoken at 7 o’clock in the morning and there was a crew out front. That was a rough day. It was a surprise, but we still let them do the job.

They were also short on panels so that extended the install time. One of their reps that we dealt with was just overworked and overlooked some notifications that needed to be made, which caused me to have to prompt them for information instead of them giving us the information first. Other than that, the installation was smooth. From beginning to end, it took almost two months. We've had the system for almost 3 months now and we're saving about $500 a month. We should have gotten solar a long time ago.

Hello Glin,
First, we would like to thank you for the thoughtful review. We apologize for the miscommunications in the beginning and are happy to hear everything worked out. We can use these examples as training opportunities in the future and want to thank you for sharing them with us.
It sounds like you are experiencing some awesome savings with your new solar system! Congratulations! That’s incredible.
Here’s how

Solar Spectrum expert review by Zachary Shahan

Sungevity was one of the first solar installers to offer solar leasing, but it is not tied to that financing model. It uses a unique, efficient, satellite-based system for providing customers with an initial solar quote.

• iQuote: Sungevity’s iQuote system is a very efficient, satellite-based system for providing customers with a solar system quote without having to visit their property.

• Financing options: Sungevity was a solar leasing pioneer, but it is reportedly agnostic when it comes to leasing versus loan or cash options.

• Dedicated project manager: Sungevity provides you with a dedicated project manager so you don’t have to go through automated customer support.

• Service: Sungevity offers service to seven states in the U.S. in addition to providing service in Australia and the Netherlands.

• Manufactures: Sungevity doesn’t have a manufacturing arm, so it is subject to changes and potential lack-of-supply in the solar panel manufacturing market.

• Best for: homeowners, small and large businesses, government agencies and nonprofits, leasing and PPA customers, solar beginners and cash and loan consumers.

Profile picture of Zachary Shahan
Zachary Shahan Solar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.

Solar Spectrum Company Information