Call toll free
4.12/5
Based on 49 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Solar Spectrum energy plans, powered by Sungevity, were designed for homeowners looking for the advantages of solar energy without the upfront costs often associated with going solar. We offer a locked-in solar electricity price with payment options to fit your budget. We also take on the burden of operating, repairs and monitoring so you can experience the benefits of solar without any hassle.

Contact us today for a free consultation to find out if a solar energy system is the right fit for your home or business.

Solar Spectrum Gallery (3)
View More View More

59 Solar Spectrum Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Purchase my solar panels from Sungevity in 2012. I have A roof leak under the solar panels. I have texted and emailed and Received an automated case number but no follow up. I keep calling and emailing with no results, nobody will call me back. We are in the middle of the monsoons and I have water leaking out of my dining room light, the roofers will not fix it because of the solar panels. I cannot get anybody to contact me. My next step is an attorney.

Get expert buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I have e-mailed Solar Spectrum at least 5 times over the 2 weeks with their response being, "I'll have a tech check the problem" with my panels in the order it was received. I called yesterday and left a message. My panels have not been producing since July 9th and my electric bill went up over $250 last month. I'm at a point where they can come and get their panels. I am very dissatisfied with their customer service dept since no one seems to care about my problem. I'm also unable to check into my production to see if anything has been done.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

For past one week I have been trying to reach Solar Spectrum. They never lift the phone and they never communicate. My system is not producing any electricity and also website is not showing producing values for whole year. They gave us 25 years warranty and not maintaining it. This is frustrating, we never expected this kind of company exists in USA.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: July 29, 2018

I checked all of the solar energy providers and Solar Spectrum's price was reasonable. I got solar energy to save money and it was environment appropriate also. During the enrollment process with Solar Spectrum, I kept asking them for all the paperwork, but they never sent it to me even though I asked them at least nine times. And I still haven’t got the papers. All I needed were the papers or the documents, all my warranties and all those things. And also for the rebates, I asked them to send me something so I can show it to my accounter, but nothing. I also had a bad experience after they were done with the setup. Once they got their money, they didn’t care about me and they ignored me. It has been four months since they installed it, but even the sales rep is not responding to my calls anymore because he got his commission. He doesn’t need to worry about me and he’s looking for somebody else.

Everything about the installation was easy and on a professional level. Everybody did their job and they finished it within one day. I don’t have any problem as far as the use of the system, it’s just the customer service or support is not there when I need them. But we’re saving money on the energy right now, so that’s a good thing.

Hi Behroz,

Thank you for the review. I am glad to hear you had a good experience with the install and that you are saving money. With that said I want to apologize that you have had trouble getting the papers you need. I am more than happy to assist with this. If you would please reach out to me using my contact info below and just let me know what I can provide to help I will get this sent over to you. I look forward to doing all I can to turn your experience around. Thank you for choosing us as your solar provider!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 29, 2018

Did not honor the 20 year warranty. Sungevity installed our solar panels two years ago. We received a bill of over $1500 from Edison. I contacted Sungevity and the following is the response I received from Solar Spectrum: "​​Thank you for contacting Customer Service. Our records indicate that you were a customer of Sungevity, Inc. That company was dissolved in a bankruptcy proceeding last year. In that proceeding, the Sungevity brand was purchased and is now being used by a different company than the one you originally did business with.

Sungevity’s customers were not a part of that acquisition. You should have received notification of this fact through the bankruptcy sometime last year. Unfortunately, this means that there is no longer a company standing behind the warranty and performance guarantee included with your system. If you are having problems with your system, you will need to find a service provider in your area to evaluate and address the issue."

This email tells it all! They will not honor Sungevity's existing customers, which Sungevity told us whoever acquired them would. They seem very professional, but do not honor their responsibilities. I'm also concerned with ConsumerAffairs that has them listed as one of the top solar installation companies. ConsumerAffairs you need to dig into Solar Spectrum and find out what their business practices really are. How many customers will Solar Spectrum obtain (and guarantee 20-25 year warranties) before they file bankruptcy again and start under a new name?

Hi Linda,

I am sorry for the poor experience that the Sungevity Inc created for you. We are a new company with new management and are working hard to provide our customers with the best product and experience in the industry. If you ever have any solar related questions, I would be happy to answer them for you and do all that I can to help turn your solar experience around.

Senior Manager

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Solar Spectrum?

Original review: July 19, 2018

I had solar on my previous house that I sold and I wanted to use solar again on my new purchase. I enrolled with Solar Spectrum and at first, my experience was great. However, there was some miscommunication between the project manager and some things with Redding Power here and me. The project manager wanted me to get some information to Redding Power, so he sent me this paperwork over. I filled out what I needed to fill out, took it over to Redding Power and they were supposed to fill out a ton of stuff from Spectrum before I even went there. But it didn’t happen, so I had to resend it back to him then he had someone else come pick it up from me and took it over there. If it was filled out before I received it, it would have been great, instead of me going over there and turning it in.

Then, I asked for one part of the equipment to be mounted inside and I checked into it with the city, the code, and I was fine to do it. I talked to the project manager and he was supposed to do that but somehow, he forgot to give the plans for it to be on the exterior. And when they were done, I asked where they mounted it and they said it was in the outside of the building. But it was done now, so I told them to leave it. Once we got that through, it was good. It’s just that I’m a person that when you tell me something, that’s what I’d expect. And when you tell me something totally different and kinda backtrack a little bit, that doesn’t sit well with me. But we worked it all out.

The sales side of it was great and the Spectrum sales guy was really good. If I couldn’t get a hold of the project manager, I would call the sales guy I spoke with, and he would make sure the guy got in contact with me. Then, the installation of the panels took a couple of days.and it was really clean. The main part was installed in a day, then they had to wait for something from the city, so they had to replace the panel, which took another day. The system has been live now for about three weeks but I can’t see what it’s producing. I can’t determine that unless I call them and they can see it. I shouldn’t have to do that. I’ve called a couple of times about it and it’s supposed to be fixed.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Because of the high cost of electric bills, I looked into solar energy services and was going through Sungevity and another company. We called up Sungevity and Mike was the main guy I dealt with. They explained a lot of things to me and they had the better deal. We made the decision that way. Everything went good with the installation. They came out on time, went through the things with me and checked if I needed anything changed and then they accommodated. The entire process took close to two months and they did really well for me.

Hi Alfredo,

Thank you for providing the amazing feedback. We always work hard to provide this sort of experience and it is great to hear it from our customers when we do! If there is ever anything I can do to help along your solar journey please don't hesitate to reach out to me.

Senior Manager

Original review: July 13, 2018

My experience with Solar Spectrum started off well. They made financing and scheduling calls and set up the panels within a reasonable amount of time. Then the problems started raining down. My setup failed the first inspection with the town. No big deal... these things happen right? The two guys who set up the panels initially came out again and made some repairs/changes and I was given a date for a second inspection. I couldn't be there as I was getting surgery that day but my folks were. My dad is very electrically savvy so I figure it's a good idea for him to be there anyway. So I come home from my surgery and my folks tell me it failed the second inspection and they didn't have much to tell me.

So I figure I will hear something from Jeff in New Jersey or Christina who has also been managing my account. Nothing. So I call and leave them both messages.

Nothing. I call and email both of them. Nothing. No answers, no responses. One guy I emailed, Quin, got me a rejected email message as if his email account isn't there anymore. Today is July 13th 2018 as I write this. The panels failed their second inspection July 3rd. I still haven't heard a peep from anyone at Solar Spectrum. Every number I have called that I can find tells me they are super busy and to leave a message and someone will call back. I have left messages at 4 different voicemail locations. 10 days of absolutely no communication and all I have right now is a shiny roof addition.

The electrician who did the work did a very clean aesthetic install but apparently missed some code violations. The problem is a mystery to me at this time. Can anyone out there shed some light on this for me? Did Solar Spectrum suddenly close up shop? I haven't given them a dime yet fortunately but DCU is probably not far from sending me a bill I'm guessing. They have sent me all the initial literature for a new member with a loan after all. Can anyone give me any suggestions? Thanks.

Original review: July 10, 2018

My family, my daughter and her family, and my other daughter and her family lived in my house for three years. The one was going to school and the other one was paying for a house, so my electric bill was off the chart. Right when they moved out, I decided to look into solar. I did some homework on some good solar companies and I chose to do it at that point in time because I wanted to beat and cheat PG&E, and I did. Then I found out that they based it off to annual income and I said that I’m gonna get it out then because that way, you get no more than what you use per year which means I'm gonna be paying a bit more and more because the solar system that I'd get that they would only approve would surpass my needs. The electricity that I need is gonna surpass my needs that my system can buy, so instead of getting an 8.2 system, I got an 8.5. I beat the system at PG&E because they spent a 10-kilowatt super powerhouse.

I looked on the internet and I was looking at the prices too then I thought I'd go go with Solar Spectrum. The enrollment was easy. I called and spoke to Eli and another rep, and they were real nice. I was a little bit ahead and I wanted to get the thing going. But they got all the works and they just reminded me to sign my documents online which I did. During the installation, I just watched them when I was out here once in a while. The installers cleaned up all their mess. When the team forgot to put a couple of tags on and do some things, the inspector came out and took care of that real quick. Solar Spectrum finished it in one day and they turned it on for me. They said they weren’t supposed to, but it really didn’t matter because the power can’t be used until PG&E approves it. They just turned it on so when I got the okay from PG&E, I didn’t have to go outside and do anything.

And one thing I like about Solar Spectrum is that we would talk about leaks in the ceiling and they said that there’s a triple seal that they have on their things going to the roofing so they’ll come out and take care of it. Since then, I’m just eager to look at my next bill because my bill before I got solar installed was only $69. It used to be $300 with all my family living with me. But there’s one thing going around where I can sign up for another provider that guarantees me that my gas doesn’t go over $30 a month for three to four years so I did that. I knew that PG&E did it on my annual usage so with what I was using the prior year is going to take about 60 years for that to catch.

But I wish I could have gotten a battery with the system but they are very expensive. I wouldn’t be able to afford an extra $15,000. Besides, I generate about 80% more power than I use so even though I run my air conditioner the whole day long because I’m permanently and totally disabled and I get anxiety so I get hot all the time, I’m sure PG&E has taken the generated power and they'll send me a nice paycheck at the end of the year.

Hello Clemmon,
First, we would like to thank you for the thoughtful review. Next, CONGRATS on going solar. those are some awesome savings! We will be sure to let Eli and the team know about the awesome shout out as well.
• Earn $2,000 for your third referral and every referral thereafter.

* We make it as easy as 1, 2, 3, to share your love of Solar with family, friends, and neighbors. Login to the Ambassador portal. https://sungevity.getambassador.com/ Straight from your portal you can share your Link on social media or enter referrals manually by using the direct entry form. For Assistance Call: (866) 488-1922 or Email shineitforward@sungevity.com Warm Regards, Liz D.

Original review: July 3, 2018

My wife and I decided to switch to a solar panel system based on our religion. I’m a Bahá'í and our supreme body, Universal House of Justice, decided that each individual should also help to prevent this atmospheric heating by not using the unrenewable resources like coal and oil. We should try to use the renewable energy sources like solar and wind instead. At least an individual, although it may not be financially visible, we can do something to prevent this wrongdoing.

I saw solar energies on the computer and I saw that Solar Spectrum is the best so I gave them a call. However, they work with the computer only. There was no mailing and that really gave me a little hard time. I'm 83 years old and I’m not computer savvy especially when signing via the computer which was mind-boggling for me. Other than that, Solar Spectrum was really good. They followed up and it smoothly sailed through. The installation was wonderful. They said that it would take two days but they finished it in half a day. I have my solar energy since May 3rd and I’m now enjoying it. I put the cooling to 80 degrees instead of 84 to 85. Now that it's free as it's from the sun, I don’t have to pay or use somebody else’s energy source. I’m very satisfied with Solar Spectrum.

Hi Emin,

Thank you for the incredible 5 star review! We are always working to eliminate as much dirty energy usage as we can and we couldn't be more thrilled that you chose us to help you make the switch! If your friends or family plan on doing the same thing, don't forget that we have the best referral program in the industry. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us if there is ever anything we can assist you with.

Blake.Hazelrigg@SolarSpectrum.com

Original review: July 2, 2018

I work in the semiconductor industry so that was part of the reason why I went solar. I’ve seen the efficiency of it. It also has gotten to a point where it made sense and we’ve lived in our house now of 30 years and we were getting ready to redo the roof. I thought well, this is the perfect opportunity if we’re gonna do the roof to put solar up there while we’re at it. We checked a couple of other companies and they didn’t look really good. We went online and did some searching on Google and Solar Spectrum came back with great reviews. They were also listed as number one. We called them and we spoke to Sonny. He was very helpful, walked us through the whole thing over the phone, and we made an appointment right there that night for them to come out and start taking a look at things. They were out here within a week or so after that.

They made it at our first convenience. They were here and looked at the roof. They said the roof needed to be replaced. They also said that they will give us an estimate and when we have the roof done, let them know about it and then they can schedule the job. They got back to us with the estimate within a few days, which was well within when they said they would and it was actually a better system. Also, I expected it to be a higher price because it was of higher quality but it was not that much higher in cost. It was a better deal so we decided to go with it. We had a hold-up with a roof contractor. Once the roof contractor got here and got the job done, we contacted Solar Spectrum again and said we’re ready to pull the trigger and they got the ball rolling.

They get out here and got the system installed. They were done in a matter of hours. They also cleaned up everything and did some things that weren't part of the contract. They put access panels outside the house at no charge. Then the next hold-up was waiting for the local inspection that happened. That took a while. That’s not Solar Spectrum’s fault but the fault of the local folks here. But once that was done, we were up and running within a few days. Solar Spectrum had people right out here to get the system going and we were happy with them. It’s going great. We're very pleased with Solar Spectrum.

Solar Spectrum response
Hello Michael, we would really like to let you know how much we appreciate you leaving us such a thoughtful review and we will be sure to let Sonny know about the awesome shout out! It was very nice to read.
Now that you have experienced the many benefits of going Solar with us let us reward you with up to $2000. Here’s how
• Earn $2,000 for your third referral and every referral thereafter.

Original review: June 27, 2018

In order to save money on electricity and to utilize the sun for energy needs, we wanted to get solar. Sungevity's rating made us chose them. It was fairly easy to get going with their program. But there was some miscommunication involved during the construction, which caused some issues that we ironed out between us. There were a couple of times where we weren’t notified that a crew was coming out and so were awoken at 7 o’clock in the morning and there was a crew out front. That was a rough day. It was a surprise, but we still let them do the job.

They were also short on panels so that extended the install time. One of their reps that we dealt with was just overworked and overlooked some notifications that needed to be made, which caused me to have to prompt them for information instead of them giving us the information first. Other than that, the installation was smooth. From beginning to end, it took almost two months. We've had the system for almost 3 months now and we're saving about $500 a month. We should have gotten solar a long time ago.

Hello Glin,
First, we would like to thank you for the thoughtful review. We apologize for the miscommunications in the beginning and are happy to hear everything worked out. We can use these examples as training opportunities in the future and want to thank you for sharing them with us.
It sounds like you are experiencing some awesome savings with your new solar system! Congratulations! That’s incredible.
• Earn $2,000 for your third referral and every referral thereafter.

Original review: May 26, 2018

The service I received from Sungevity was good. They did the installation and I didn’t do anything but looked at it. Sungevity called me several times and asked about my experience, and I told them everything has been fine. I had an excellent experience overall. My bills are exorbitant, and I’m anxious to find a drop in my electric bill now that I have Sungevity.

Hi Arnold,
First, we would like to thank you for the thoughtful review.
• Earn $2,000 for your third referral and every referral thereafter.

Original review: May 21, 2018

Solar Spectrum was the first solar provider I called. They were good about what they did and were very proactive in everything. They're fast, efficient and their project manager was totally awesome. I was totally happy with their sales and service. The whole process took two weeks but the delay wasn't with Solar Spectrum but with the City of Palm Springs in getting them out here to do an inspection. But as far as Solar Spectrum went, I had the final drawings within a short period of time and everything was done rather quickly. They then called up to say that they were coming out on a Saturday for the installation. I have the solar panels up and running since the end of March and I'm extremely satisfied with my decision to go solar because my electric bill was too high before. I would highly recommend Solar Spectrum.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I was into solar energy to save on electrical cost. I went online and looked at different websites and Solar Spectrum came up continuously as highly rated. Enrolling with them was good and comfortable. Once I decided to go with them, my home remodelling project wasn’t ready to accept the solar panels so I put them off for probably two months before they could actually install the unit. It took about 12 weeks to get the solar panels up and running but things went well and installation went smoothly. Their customer service rep stayed with me the whole way and he was good. The actual solar panels have been turned on and hooked up to Southern California for about three weeks. I hope I'd be satisfied with going solar.

Hi Dennis,
First, we would like to thank you for the time you took to write us such an awesome review.
• Earn $2,000 for your third referral and every referral thereafter.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I’m retired now and I wanted to put solar power on the roof. I looked at one service provider and then I found something on a webpage about ratings of companies, and Solar Spectrum was rated number one so I picked them. The initial person I talked to had all the answers right away, did the design, had me online with him looking at papers that they had so I didn't have to go to an office. He explained everything. I waited a day and talked to my wife and said that we wanted to do this. I called back Solar and they had me send the contract online and then they took over.

The project manager was very patient, always quick to answer any question and called if there are any changes. He understood that I live in a homeowner's association and that I had to get approval from them first. And then once we got the approval, they had the panels up and running within a day. The installation was fast. However, it took a little while for PG&E to respond. But obviously, PG&E is a monopoly so they weren’t nice to their customers all the time. The panels were producing power before PG&E signed off on it. PG&E just had to connect us to their network so that they could get the power to them. So, during the daytime, we were running on solar. And at night, we're running on PG&E.

Now, what we're doing is that PG&E buys the excess power from us and then our bill is reduced dramatically. I'm looking a month during the production and it looks pretty good, although we haven't seen the results yet on the bill. Still, I was happy with my decision to go solar. I thank Solar’s team for being nice, efficient and for being good people to work with.

Hi Michael,

We can't thank you enough for the thorough and positive review. We are glad to hear you are happy with your decision to go solar and we are happy you chose us to help make that a reality. Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help.

Senior Manager

Original review: May 11, 2018

My solar bill shot up a lot. My son and daughter-in-law were with Sungevity and they really liked it and thought it was great. Also, the offer that had been around was going to be closing soon, so I decided to try it. Enrolling was a good experience. I've worked with several reps, Christina being the latest one, and they were cheerful, helpful, and followed through. There also wasn't a cost to put the system in. The installers who came were very nice, quick, cheerful and were good to work with. I would recommend Sungevity every time.

Hi Margaret,

I wanted to reach out and thank you for your review. Christina is one of our very strong project managers and I am glad to hear she provided a delightful experience. Don't forget we have an amazing referral program for you to take advantage of if any of your friends decide to go solar. Welcome to the Sungevity family!

Senior Manager

Original review: May 3, 2018

I ended up on Sungevity through Josh Fox’s grassroot webpage, and out of curiosity entered my information to see how much it would cost to go solar for our condominium. Although it turned out getting solar panels for our condos were a bit more tricky, Sonny helped me through the process of figuring it out. Inquiring about solar panels can be an anxious process because people usually have no idea how or what to expect, so I really appreciated his patience and friendliness throughout! If I were to figure out the logistics and get the approval from the HOA, I would love to go back and do business here!

Hi Sammy,

We appreciate you looking into solar with us. There are a lot of moving parts when it comes to getting a solar system up and running and we really feel our team is equipped to deliver the best customer experience in the industry. We hope you will keep us in mind for all of your future solar needs!

Senior Manager

Original review: May 2, 2018

My electric bill was bigger than I wanted it to be, then I went with Solar Spectrum as they were rated the top solar provider. Enrolling with them was very smooth. I worked with Pete and Quinn, and they were very patient. However, none of these solar providers understand the difference between a DC and an AC watt. And because of that, they sized the inverter too small. This is the fourth time now between my son and one of my brothers and my daughter. They all wanted to size it wrong. But aside from that, the rest of the experience was pretty good. The installers were in and out very quickly in half a day. Although, we're not yet done and I'm still waiting for my SREC which they are working on, the array is on the roof and it is operational right now. Solar Spectrum is a good company to work with.

Hi Phillip,

Thanks for the feedback. I just checked in with our team and we are on the final lap wrapping things up with Eversource. It won't be long until you're taking advantage of this beautiful spring sunshine. Don't ever hesitate to let us know if you need anything.

Senior Manager

Original review: April 29, 2018

I went online and Googled the top solar companies in our area. The search came up with Solar Spectrum as the number one by far so I went to their website and I inquired. They had a little form to fill out, just the basic name, phone number and whether we rent or own. Within less than five minutes, the gentleman called me and wanted to know how serious we were. We got started right then and they were punctual and helpful. The enrollment process was very simple. When they first do the survey when they talk to you, they want two months of your energy usage. But we were still in the process of buying the house then.

Solar Spectrum asked a bunch of questions, like what we had in the house, the electric, the gas, the computers, and the TV. They worked with us step by step in each room. They were very helpful in having the size of the system since we didn't own the home yet. It was very simple and they were personable. They explained things very well so it was a great experience. Other than they were very professional, they cleaned up after themselves as well which I really appreciated. They were great, courteous, polite and forthcoming. They didn't mind answering a bunch of "I have no idea what you're doing, can you explain it to me?" questions.

The longest wait in the process was getting the permit. Like any other construction, you have to have a permit. But Solar Spectrum talked us through at each step of the way. There was always someone calling us, saying, "Okay, this is your next step." Or when the guys came out, "We're waiting for the inspector to come out," and, "This is when you can expect it." Within about 24 hours of either direction, they were spot on. They said it will take 10 days for the permit. Within 24 hours, they were exactly right, so it was awesome. There was no hiccup. It has been seamless and great. It was exactly what we wanted. We have already referred friends to them and it was absolutely a wonderful service.

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for the amazing review and thank you for telling your friends and family about us. We have an industry leading referral program and it sounds like you're well on your way to take advantage of it. I'm also glad to hear that it sounds like our team was very thorough and made the construction project as simple as possible for you. If you ever have any questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me.

Senior Manager

Original review: April 27, 2018

Jeff is very professional and very thorough when he explain how the process of getting solar works from the application to final process. He always have answer to all my question. Jeff is very professional and knows his product. His presentation of how solar works from the application to final process was very thorough. He has answer all my questions so now I have more understanding of what to look for when I ask for a quote. Thank you Jeff. I hope to do business with you in the future.

Hi Tessie,

We appreciate you taking the time to learn about solar with Jeff. He is one of our all-star sales managers and prides himself on his knowledge of our product. Please keep us in mind for all of your future solar needs!

Senior Manager

Original review: April 16, 2018

I wanted to try to save something environmentally and save some money if possible, and I looked into going solar. I compared a couple of solar providers and Sungevity was better for the price. During enrolment, our experience was pretty good including their service except on the last stage and I had no clue what was going on. I worked with three persons, Scott, Eric and a lady. They're courteous and they work professionally. Everything was done on time, except sometimes the weather would not cooperate and they could not get the job done. They showed me everything and went through everything over the email but I didn't understand the technical stuff so I just trusted them. The installation was easy. I leased the panels and it got turned on a week ago. I can save better for the environment and save some money. I'm very happy and I will recommend them to somebody but I won't push even for the reference.

Hi Zhengyi,

Thank you for taking the time to tell about your experience. It is always a goal of ours to be very courteous and professional. If any questions come up, please do not hesitate to reach out!

Senior Manager

Original review: April 8, 2018

I needed to try to lower my electricity by having solar energy services done. I'm dealing with Solar Spectrum and they were mentioned as one of the top 10 companies in the Bay Area, doing solar systems and I chose them as one of the contractors that I would like to get a bid on. They were fairly consistent and were on top of things, and the price was reasonable. The enrollment process was very easy and I worked with Christina. She was very persistent but very comfortable to work with. I also dealt with their regional manager named Matt. I purchased the solar equipment and the quote was exactly what it was to install the system.

I've been a customer for about a month and a half now. But I've been having a little difficulty getting information from them regarding the list of people that worked on the solar system on my house. They asked for me to sign an agreement to use them as a solar provider. It was a fairly lengthy document and I signed it. They kept asking me to re-sign the contract and I don't know what that's all about. Also, the question is whether or not I'm paying money to Sungevity or to Solar Spectrum. Reading over the material, it seemed like I needed to get some assurance, because the sub-contractor that's supposed to be supplying material has sent me a notice that they needed to be paid. I was a little concerned about that after I received the notice and I wasn't sure whether or not they're making the payment to the sub-contractors. I made one payment already, but I have still another half of the payment that I have to make upon completion.

The solar equipment looks okay as far as I can tell but they haven't hooked it up yet. It has yet to go through the utility company's system. The installation didn't take long and the installers were very skilled. It's just a question of getting them to do the final turn on procedure, but it hasn't been done yet. They mentioned that they have to get together with PG&E, the utility company, and have it turned on or our system checked. But that hasn't occurred yet. I'm satisfied with going solar but a little bit leery about who I'm dealing with. Also, the email messages that they're sending me sometimes have different names on it.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I wanted to lessen my extremely high electric bill that I started to receive because of their tier system and Solar Spectrum, who bought out Sungevity, was rated number one. Solar Spectrum worked with their own finance company and I was weighing out the differences if they could help with the financing. I was learning as I went with them. But it was more feasible for me to just pay cash. So when I had asked for something to be provided like a set of as-builts, information on my solar or schedule even, I get hit back with a payment. But I don't do business that way.

They also got a bunch of young staff and my recommendation is that if they're gonna run a company like this and understand that it's a national company, they have guys on the ground in the different states but it would be really nice to have somebody on site. My project manager was a sweet, young girl. But I've been a project manager for many years and built many, large, commercial structures, and she was basically a coordinator. There were things that I asked for and they weren't responsive in providing them to me. They were more worried about the payment rather than worry about the service to me. And that put a bad taste to my mouth with them. If they're gonna be a project manager, at least, come on site to look at what's going on, have some continuity and be in contact with the installers and contractors. When I build projects, I am there for the owner to answer questions and work directly with the contractors.

But I was present the entire time the installers were there. They answered all the questions that I could even possibly come up with. They knew their job and were very good in what they did. I was really happy with them and even got to know them personally. Some of them, I knew already like the private contractor that was hired to come out and do the assessment on my house.

However, if I had to do things all over again, knowing what I know, I would have just done it myself working with local vendors. Right now, my solar is on and it's supposed to be a 10-year warranty. Working for many years in construction, I had contractors that call me years later and ask me, "Hey, is everything going well? Are you still doing anything? Can we help you out?" And that's what I'm looking forward to if it's even provided by Solar Spectrum. But the feeling that I have is that I'd never hear from them again. If somebody would come and ask me about solar energy, I would definitely help them do their homework because of my experience.

Hi David,

We appreciate you taking the time to share feedback about your experience. We are very glad you chose Solar Spectrum and we look forward to servicing your system for many years to come.

BHazelrigg@SolarSpectrum.com

Original review: April 6, 2018

Searching for info regarding solar panels. Pete was one of the best contacts I've dealt with. Very patient and knowledgeable. Spent all the time necessary to give me the information I needed. No high pressure, just very friendly.

Solar Spectrum response

Thank you for your feedback, Clyde! Always providing a great customer experience is the aim of our company. Please don't ever hesitate to reach out to us if there is anything we can review for you.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I work out at my house so I use a lot of energy during the day with lights and computers going. My energy bill was quite high, considering that I don't use my furnace because it costs too much to run it with electricity. But I live in country and have a well so I pay electricity to pump the water out of the ground. So, all in all, I felt that I was paying too much for electricity for too little.

I made several phone calls to different solar energy vendors. With 43 years of constantly dealing with people, I got a pretty good understanding of people. With another vendor, it was like applying for a mortgage. They had a thousand questions to ask and had to have a site guy come out and look at the house before they could approve anything. But the one I talked to from Solar Spectrum was a personable guy. He was easy to talk to and had all the correct answers. When I asked him, he didn't have to look up anything. He brought me up on Google and he could see my house. We talked about what I needed and what they needed, and it was easy. I felt comfortable enough and went ahead with it. But he told me it would be $21,000, but the final thing was $24,000. But compared to what the other guy wanted to charge me, which was twice as much as much for fewer panels, it was a no-brainer.

The installers missed the first day because they were coming out of Fresno and had a vehicle breakdown, so they couldn't make it. But they got here first thing in the morning the following day. They were there bright and early and got things done in no time. At 2:30, they were calling me up to tell me they were finished. They were all good. I have dealt with a lot of vendor people and have known a lot of contractors, so I know what they needed, what was expected, filled it all in and it just went like clockwork.

Then I've spoken with their customer service because they hadn't turned it on. They had to wait to PG&E to get the okay. So, I called several times asking questions about certain things 'cause I knew nothing about this stuff. They answered everything and called me a day or two later and said, "Okay, you can turn it on. We got the okay from PG&E." They walked me through and told me what switches to pull to turn it all on.

I'm waiting to find out and look at the electricity bill to see how much electricity I used compared to last year. And from what I understand, I wouldn't pay for it until I chew it up at the end of the year. But the cost of it all is about 60% of what my electricity bill was so I would be saving about 40%. Then after three years, I'd get a $7,000 tax credit. If I don't put that tax credit on the principal when I get it, the payment would go up a little bit. But even going up, it's still less than what I was paying for monthly for the PG&E. So, that's a win-win thing 'cause I'd still be saving money. I pay a lot of taxes because I'm self-employed so this should lighten my load. I would recommend them. In fact, I'm bugging my neighbors and telling them that they ought to do this and that it's gonna save them a lot of money.

Hi Phillip,

Thank you for the kudos! We are so happy you chose us to help power your life with sunshine and we sure appreciate you telling your neighbors about us. We have an industry leading referral program so make sure they let us know you referred them our way. If there is ever anything we can do to help out please let us know!

Blake.Hazelrigg@SolarSpectrum.com

Original review: March 30, 2018

I’m very happy with Sungevity. I got 13 out of 13 panels going now and all is well. The salesperson who went here was very convincing and it was a very good experience. She totally sold me on the possibility of doing solar. I like the whole deal. During enrollment I was not aware that you could rent the unit and not have to buy it. That was like a whole big enlightenment for me and put it back into the realm of the possible. The only difficulty I had was the unit kept slipping into the default or not working position and no one could figure out why for a while. I had various repair companies come to try to fix it. I've put it in last spring and for a long while it didn’t work. The last guy who came here was different than the rest. He actually explained to me what the deal was and what was wrong with it, which I understood, and he showed me how to look at the little dial there and see if all of my array was cooking. I’m a happy camper now.

Hi Jane,

Thank you very much for the kind words about your consultant and Solar Spectrum. We're so pleased that you choose us to install your system despite having many other options to choose from. We look forward to providing a great customer experience for years to come!

Blake

Original review: March 28, 2018

I wanted to go green so I looked into solar energy services. One of my neighbors had solar energy and gave me good reviews on it. A gentleman from Sungevity came through. We had a meeting and he showed me what I could save. He broke the numbers down to me. I signed up and everything else was taken care of by Solar Spectrum. Their reps were very kind, helpful and knowledgeable. It was a great experience. However, when I saw the closing agreement the math didn’t add up to close to the numbers that they had given me before. But installation went smoothly. The installers explained to me what they were gonna do, where they were gonna set up and everything else was history. Then I spoke to a gentleman this morning to turn on the system.

Original review: March 26, 2018

The enrolment experience was very good. It was a little bit more involved than I expected it to be and there were a lot of hoops to go through and things to get done. I spoke to Jack and Blake and they were both very good. They stood behind what they said they were going to do. They went above and beyond what I was looking for and they made sure that everything was right with me. I found working with them to be very comfortable. Downstream Construction did the installation and they were very professional. I was impressed with the job they did. They also cleaned up after themselves. However, I wished the electrician did the setup better. We also got a little lost along the timeframe as far as how fast it was going to be done but they reconciled what I was looking for.

The only thing is, they want me to pay of 30% of my loan in the first 18 months, which is tough. But they are expecting you to do that with your tax credit, which is greatly appreciated but it is still concerning to me. Everything that I got for the solar taxes eats up my whole complete taxes for the year and now, I have nothing extra. I have to put it all on my loans. That's a little nerve-racking, knowing that I have to be within the 18-month period since if you fail to do that, you will get penalized and your interest rate goes from 5.6 to 10%. Your payment would then terribly jump and would probably be $33.

But so far, I'm very satisfied with Sungevity's service. My concern was that I was not going to have enough power to offset my electric bill but I think I'm going to be fine. My current electric bills are $60 lower than my previous ones. It's a smart idea to have Sungevity. Solar energy saves you money and Sungevity has good reviews and ratings. You can definitely see savings and they would also give you credit if you have referrals.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I looked into solar energy services to offset from my PG&E bill, getting it down to nothing. I did a little research online and found out that Solar Spectrum was pretty good and I went with them. I enrolled with them on the phone and it was fairly easy. And the quote given to me compared to my final cost was spot-on. The initial installation went great and the technician did it in one day. Their representatives were knowledgeable about their systems and apparatus.

Right now, I’m waiting for a new inverter on the system. It went down and it’s stuck in night mode so it’s not collecting solar. The technician has to install it and it requires wiring. They told me they will be out here in 7 to 10 days and that was almost three weeks ago. I have got two emails to them and I called them. The one guy was concerned but I haven’t been able to get a hold and I emailed him yesterday again for the third time. So, I’m chasing them right now. Their customer service was just not responsive. My experience in going solar has been okay. The bills are the same because it’s not putting out so I don’t know what my savings will be.

Solar Spectrum expert review by Zachary Shahan

Sungevity was one of the first solar installers to offer solar leasing, but it is not tied to that financing model. It uses a unique, efficient, satellite-based system for providing customers with an initial solar quote.

• iQuote: Sungevity’s iQuote system is a very efficient, satellite-based system for providing customers with a solar system quote without having to visit their property.

• Financing options: Sungevity was a solar leasing pioneer, but it is reportedly agnostic when it comes to leasing versus loan or cash options.

• Dedicated project manager: Sungevity provides you with a dedicated project manager so you don’t have to go through automated customer support.

• Service: Sungevity offers service to seven states in the U.S. in addition to providing service in Australia and the Netherlands.

• Manufactures: Sungevity doesn’t have a manufacturing arm, so it is subject to changes and potential lack-of-supply in the solar panel manufacturing market.

• Best for: homeowners, small and large businesses, government agencies and nonprofits, leasing and PPA customers, solar beginners and cash and loan consumers.

Profile picture of Zachary Shahan
Zachary Shahan

Solar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.

Solar Spectrum Company Information

150 Linden Street
Oakland
www.solarspectrum.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business