Call toll free
3.98/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Solar Spectrum energy plans, powered by Sungevity, were designed for homeowners looking for the advantages of solar energy without the upfront costs often associated with going solar. We offer a locked-in solar electricity price with payment options to fit your budget. We also take on the burden of operating, repairs and monitoring so you can experience the benefits of solar without any hassle.

Contact us today for a free consultation to find out if a solar energy system is the right fit for your home or business.

View More View More

117 Solar Spectrum Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: April 22, 2019

I converted my house in the Bay Area to solar and I’m renting it now but eventually, I will sell that house. We’re now living in our Kelseyville house and we’re gonna be living here a long time. So, converting it to solar is a no-brainer. PG&E’s rates are just gonna continue to go up, so it was just a matter of living here and being able to take advantage of having the solar installed. So, as soon as we moved, I started looking at converting.

I went out to bid for three companies, and Solar Spectrum was one of those three companies.They were large and I felt like they would have the greatest likelihood of being in business 20 years from now, when I need to replace my converters. However, their initial bid was the highest and they had all the same hardware that I was familiar with and wanted. The price was too high, so I tried to negotiate with them. They negotiated and it got to where they were a fraction low. Having the hardware that I recognized and felt like I wanted to put on the house, having good warranties, being large, and finally giving me a good price, I felt like I got what I wanted.

The enrollment process was very similar to my other solar experience and they took care of the paperwork fairly well. They sent me documents to sign up for the funding and offered me a good interest rate. Paperwork seemed to be typical for what solar is but their contract was much longer than the other one that I had on my Concord house, and I thought it was a little contradictory. So, I spent a lot of time on the phone with someone from Sungevity getting comfortable with the contract and I did, so I signed it. Financing was straightforward and easy. Then, the rest was them working with the city permitting agency to get the permits approved, and with PG&E to get approval to turn it on. Both did not take very long and they were the front man on all that, which went well.

I live out in the country and their subcontractor showed up with no identification. The truck wasn’t marked, he wouldn’t show me his driver’s license, he wouldn’t give me his full name, he didn’t have a business card and he didn’t have any proof that he was a subcontractor for Sungevity. It’s like you’re 99% sure that they’re there to do the work because they show up with all the equipment, but still, you expect them to be able to identify themselves. I almost told him to go away. I was really upset with him but he had the project manager’s phone number on his cellphone, and he called them, and I knew who that was. So, she confirmed that he was their subcontractor. I told her that the guy should come prepared and he should be able to identify himself and demonstrate that he works for Sungevity.

Once Sungevity got started, they were very effective. I’m an old roofing contractor and I saw a ladder leaning up against the house which wasn’t tied off. They weren’t on it yet and so, I reminded them to tie it off and they did. They were very efficient, safe and they did a good job. They also cleaned up. They did all of the things I would expect them to do. The only issue I had with the whole experience was that they were a little impersonal. Sungevity does everything over the phone. If you wanna see a body, or if you wanted to have a feel-good feeling, you don’t get that. It’s kind of very corporate, very internet-oriented. I would recommend Sungevity. I would suggest to anyone to make sure that they’re getting a good price. So, they have to do their research. I had to do some negotiating but it was a fair price, and it’s producing.

Hi Wallace,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a great review! We are glad to hear that things went well and we did all of the things you would expect us to do. Our goal is to always leave our customers homes nicer than we find them. It also sounds like things on the front end went well also. We have quite a few financing options available and it sounds like we got you paired with one that will work well for you. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us if you ever need any solar service. We look forward to hearing how solar treats you the first year!

Senior Manager

Get expert buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I looked into solar energy services before and talked to several different companies. Then I went online and entered, "Best solar company" and Sungevity came up so I contacted them. The salesperson, Alex, was very informative. They have great software that takes a Google photo or to the house. Then they show exactly what the place that will be. They can put a plan together after they access the Southern California Edison, the averages of what it costs me and so that was fairly quick. They offered a good finance package which the interest rate was decent and brought a payment that was like 25 years finance payment of like $155, which if averaging that, my bill with Southern California Edison was like $240 so that was savings to me.

However, their installers were behind. They had so many projects that they weren't keeping up. The project manager at that point was who I was dealing with was calling and pushing them. But they could only do what they could do. I had hoped of getting it started, installed, and up and running last year so I could put it on my taxes this year. That didn't happen. It actually didn't get put into service until January 18th. But we were dealing with the holidays too.

Once they came, they installed quickly. It took them two days 'cause it's a pretty big system. Everybody was really polite. We had to get the inspectors to come out and then we got to get the approval. They failed to notify me that a hedge that I had that was in front of where the main box is, had to be cut back like three feet. I got like an email thing saying that I needed to do it. I said that it was the first time hearing it and the guy said that I was supposed to have been notified a little while back, and I wasn't. So then I cut that, which then opened up the back area. From the street, one could then see the pipes through the water system and so there was a reason why that hedge was there, but for safety reasons, it had to be done because the County wouldn't approve it otherwise.

When Sungevity first hooked me up, they gave me a website to go to. I thought they actually had an app because the other companies do so I wasn't happy with that. I didn't want to go in and sign up. Sometimes it wouldn't work properly so I complained about that and this other guy called me and gave me an app. He gave me the link and told me to follow it. I could put the app on all my devices and it would show me everything. So that was another little misstep on their part. They also mentioned that they were gonna send me a gift card of some kind, which they never did. Alex said that he'd talk to them as I had some inconveniences, and see if he could get them to send me a gift card. There were definitely bumps in the road but nothing that horrible. Their customer service is really nice and I would recommend them.

Hi Sandra,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your experience. It sounds like you are setup to see a significant savings while you are powering your home with energy from the sunshine! Please let us know if you ever have any questions or concerns and we will work to help you as quickly as possible.

Senior Manager

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I started looking at the solar business about four years ago. PG&E's way of handling business as of late has not been good. They've been passing the bills or the prices, the increase for the fee and bill to make up for their mistakes. That’s outrageous, so I needed to find a different fix. I had a friend of mine that had solar and I was kind of partial. I know solar works, but I'm a little skeptical on some things and I wanna see the risk factors of getting it. But I just let things work itself out after doing more research and study on the factors and what the best fit was.

I kept dealing with other companies and finding more information as I went and not having them agree to my terms. I realized I'm the one who has the power because I could say, "Yes" or "No" so I have to find somebody that's gonna be transparent. I told them that I wanted complete transparency and they kinda waffled here and there. I wanted the prices later when I make the final purchase or decide to go with one. After going through so many procedures, I ran into Solar Spectrum. I asked them questions that I didn't get answers to so I was impressed with that. They piqued my curiosity and I told them that I'm gonna go further and we'll talk as it goes. I also told them to be patient and I'll be patient as well.

They kept coming back and I would ask more questions and they would answer more, but I was not giving in yet. Then a friend of mine did a background check on them for me and through the BBC and she said that Solar Spectrum has really good to high rating. She said it looks like a very reputable company, and she gave me the green light. That kind of did it to my final decision to go for it.

Solar Spectrum worked with me to customize my solar system. In the beginning, the process was going pretty smoothly with the gentleman that I started working with. Our interactions were open and honest. They went through the step-by-step process of giving me the best thing for the buck. They told me what solar panel to use and how many I'd need. They strategized on the roof and they showed me examples and comparison of how much I would get when I put these so many panels in a day.

They tried to find the best situation for me and I asked them for a connection to the battery. I wanted that put in place until further notice when I could afford to get a battery if it's feasible, and they didn't. They said it was gonna cost and that was the hold back as well. I told them that I would not move forward because every other company I've talked to did not do this. To their credit, this was what finally would seal the deal even further.

The gentleman called back and said they found out that it was actually cheaper and it could be done, but I was the first customer to ever ask for something like that. I thought I was just trying to be proactive. I know it's gonna cost me again to get someone else to do it, so I'd rather do this whole thing now and be ready for that time when I can put a battery in there when I need it. I just wanna have that option. So they finally did it and they got it at a cheaper cost.

But then there were some things that did not go very well. My account went through different hands because the reps' hours are different. Then they ran into a certain wall. They were supposed to have the panels installed sometime mid-summer and it didn't happen. It took longer than it should have but I was extremely patient. I was getting frustrated though and I was short of yelling sometimes. Still, I've been trying to be understanding but then it started getting stressful later when I wasn't getting any calls anymore.

Finally, I got a call from the last guy. He was very polite and he apologized for the delay. Things were going according to plan except for the waiting for PG&E to do their part which was most of the issue. They stopped because they had to do some upgrade or change in the system. I'm a responder for oil spills and I'm on a ship for three weeks, so I gotta live there and then come back, and then I get three weeks off. So I lose connection and a lot of things felt like they were trying to get that figured out as it went. But they coordinated with my family who's here.

My interactions with Solar Spectrum could have been improved, however, if they had told me the truth. I know it was hard when they got everything done and they were not getting a response from PG&E. It made them look like they were holding back although they were doing their part. It was a hard thing to answer for PG&E. But I was freaking out because there were no calls from Solar Spectrum. I kept calling but it would've been nice if they had updated me and reassured me. But when they were no longer answering, I wanted to default. They dropped the ball and they were not communicating in the end. That almost cost me to call an attorney because I was getting worried that I'm gonna get stuck.

I called the HERO Program and told them I didn't know what was going on. They told me to call Solar Spectrum too and see if they can hold up and make arrangements to change things. HERO was confused too, so they ended up calling and they probed as well. The installation happened only last month or so when I finally got the green on it. Things were running differently than from before when the gentleman was there the last time they were installing. He brought something like a processor and in the end, they replaced it with another one. Going solar is a good thing and I really like Solar Spectrum. I haven't received the bill yet but going solar feels good right now. I feel comfortable with it and I'm hoping to feel like I made the wisest choice.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I was comparing companies and I called Sungevity up. They were the only ones that offered me a great plan to buy solar. Everybody else wanted me to rent and I didn't want that because I wasn’t gonna save any money. Sungevity approved me for $182 a month and they have been very good. At the beginning when I first applied, I talked to their sales representative, Alex, and he was very knowledgeable and great. He was the one that suggested up buying solar.

At one point, I almost canceled with them but Alex got back on and he explained everything very much in detail. He said that come 2019, the government is gonna send me $11,000 check and Sungevity said that I can keep it or I can give it to them. If I keep it, then my payments will go up to 283. I’m gonna give it to them because then I’ll only owe 21 instead of 32. I would just continue to make the payments. He also said that I can sell the racks and I can collect the full amount for that. And for every 1,000 I sell, I get $250 or more depending on what New Jersey is sending up.

That was very pleasing for me because I have a friend that has solar who has had it for years and she's to get $650 for each thousand she sells. Now, its production has dropped down. I also know that the system would make 21,000 for a 15-year contract and I know less and less is going to be produced. But because I’m being reimbursed for the racks that I’m selling, that is paying a lot of it. So I'm not really paying anything and that was what I liked.

Alex was also very upfront. One company called me and said that Sungevity is a very bad company. They said that Sungevity went bankrupt, lots of people lost their money, and this and that. Alex said that they did go bankrupt but another company from California stepped up to the plate. Alex said that he felt that what the other company did was really wrong though and that I'm gonna lose my money if I use them. That bothered me because that is not really good salesmanship by the other company. But Alex was the one that won me and fast. He was absolutely wonderful in explaining everything and I thought I was gonna give it a shot. Hopefully, they stay in business.

Also, I went for the better panel. I’m a big fan of monocrystalline, not polycrystalline, and that was the reason I didn’t put Vivint and all those other ones on because they use all the polycrystalline. They make them overseas so they may get it in bulk for cheap prices and make a lot of money. I did a lot of research for the past five years and now, I’m gonna be an owner and I’m pretty happy about that.

Sungevity's reps have been very courteous, informative, and they have been doing the best they can. But there were cancellations when they were coming out to inspect and the paperwork wasn’t finalized even if they said they did. It’s a game of going back and forth. But I understand these things are gonna happen. I just wish it would have went in time for the next summer. But the problems are coming from within my township and from Atlantic City Electric Company, not Sungevity. I applied for this way back in May and we’re not gonna be finalizing until the end of October. The reason being is I bought the system. So it is really dragging along and I’m very disappointed.

Everything has been installed and Sungevity has to come out again next Wednesday. Their rep, Lisa, has been setting up everything with me when the guys are coming out with the inspections. They have to go to PG&E, the Atlantic City Electric Company, get their approval, and that’d be another two weeks before they’re gonna come out and change the meter. That is terrible and I lost all of the best sunshine that I could’ve ever had.

Despite all that, I would recommend Sungevity. I know many people on the block are gonna wait to see what I do. We’ve got a lot of Vivint here, but they rented. And there is another one out there, SunPower, where a girl rented it for a few panels. Her electric went down to $48 a month but she had a small house. I also like the fact that Sungevity put 28 panels on. They knew I didn’t wanna use that many panels and many people were talking about 42 to 48 but I’m not doing that. If I didn’t put enough panels, that is on me.

Hi Linda,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. This is the type of feedback we strive for day in and day out. If there is ever anything we can do to help with your solar experience, please just let us know!

Blake

Senior Manager

Original review: July 10, 2018

My family, my daughter and her family, and my other daughter and her family lived in my house for three years. The one was going to school and the other one was paying for a house, so my electric bill was off the chart. Right when they moved out, I decided to look into solar. I did some homework on some good solar companies and I chose to do it at that point in time because I wanted to beat and cheat PG&E, and I did. Then I found out that they based it off to annual income and I said that I’m gonna get it out then because that way, you get no more than what you use per year which means I'm gonna be paying a bit more and more because the solar system that I'd get that they would only approve would surpass my needs. The electricity that I need is gonna surpass my needs that my system can buy, so instead of getting an 8.2 system, I got an 8.5. I beat the system at PG&E because they spent a 10-kilowatt super powerhouse.

I looked on the internet and I was looking at the prices too then I thought I'd go go with Solar Spectrum. The enrollment was easy. I called and spoke to Eli and another rep, and they were real nice. I was a little bit ahead and I wanted to get the thing going. But they got all the works and they just reminded me to sign my documents online which I did. During the installation, I just watched them when I was out here once in a while. The installers cleaned up all their mess. When the team forgot to put a couple of tags on and do some things, the inspector came out and took care of that real quick. Solar Spectrum finished it in one day and they turned it on for me. They said they weren’t supposed to, but it really didn’t matter because the power can’t be used until PG&E approves it. They just turned it on so when I got the okay from PG&E, I didn’t have to go outside and do anything.

And one thing I like about Solar Spectrum is that we would talk about leaks in the ceiling and they said that there’s a triple seal that they have on their things going to the roofing so they’ll come out and take care of it. Since then, I’m just eager to look at my next bill because my bill before I got solar installed was only $69. It used to be $300 with all my family living with me. But there’s one thing going around where I can sign up for another provider that guarantees me that my gas doesn’t go over $30 a month for three to four years so I did that. I knew that PG&E did it on my annual usage so with what I was using the prior year is going to take about 60 years for that to catch.

But I wish I could have gotten a battery with the system but they are very expensive. I wouldn’t be able to afford an extra $15,000. Besides, I generate about 80% more power than I use so even though I run my air conditioner the whole day long because I’m permanently and totally disabled and I get anxiety so I get hot all the time, I’m sure PG&E has taken the generated power and they'll send me a nice paycheck at the end of the year.

Hello Clemmon,
First, we would like to thank you for the thoughtful review. Next, CONGRATS on going solar. those are some awesome savings! We will be sure to let Eli and the team know about the awesome shout out as well.
Now that you have experienced the many benefits of going Solar with us let us reward you with up to $2000.
Here’s how
• Earn $500 for your first referral.
• Earn $1,000 for your second referral.
• Earn $2,000 for your third referral and every referral thereafter.

* We make it as easy as 1, 2, 3, to share your love of Solar with family, friends, and neighbors. Login to the Ambassador portal. https://sungevity.getambassador.com/ Straight from your portal you can share your Link on social media or enter referrals manually by using the direct entry form. For Assistance Call: (866) 488-1922 or Email shineitforward@sungevity.com Warm Regards, Liz D.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Solar Spectrum?

Original review: May 14, 2019

Felicity had a positive tone and was helpful in connecting me to the right department to help with my solar questions, which led to an amazing proposal from Alex who broke down the system size, the amount of monthly payment for # of years. The warranty package looked great too. This was one of the better proposals I had received.

Hi Amelia,

Thank you for the great review about your experience with Alex and Felicity. We are so glad you are looking into clean energy options. We hope that you will keep us in mind for all of your future solar needs.

Blake.Hazelrigg@SolarSpectrum.com

Original review: May 12, 2019

I was looking online and Sungevity called. The guy seemed to be very knowledgeable and nice to talk to. So, we went to the point that we sealed the deal and decided to go solar. Dealing with the rep, Scott, was excellent. He is a very nice guy. The team installed the thing and it was alright. They did pretty good. They were clean and they did their job in one day. They came back to finish it but we’re still waiting for the inspection. We’re supposed to have the final inspection on the 9th and hopefully, that’s gonna start working. It’s been more than two months and the panels are not working yet. I tried to call them and they said that they were gonna let me know. Though it’s not very prompt and we have to wait a couple of months, Sungevity was sincere. They didn’t say anything that was not real.

Hi Italo,

Thank you for the great feedback about your experience. It sounds like we had to wait awhile for your system to obtain permission to operate. Sorry to hear that! Depending on your area, sometimes it takes the local utilities awhile to grant us permission. We are glad to hear things went well with Scott and the installation. Please let us know if you ever need any assistance as we are here and happy to help!

Blake.Hazelrigg@SolarSpectrum.com

Original review: May 11, 2019

Sungevity was a recommendation from my sister and enrolling with them was relatively easy. The rep was very pleasant. If I had a question, he was more than willing to reach out and help me understand the answer. I was very comfortable working with him. The installation was a one-day event and the design was in line with my needs. I’m quite happy with the final product and I'm very satisfied going solar. It was a very good experience and I would recommend Sungevity. My bills were decreased though it's also not a significantly high electric time of the year.

Hi Constance,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us some feedback. We are glad to hear your bills decreased while your home is being powered with clean energy. Please don't hesitate to let us know if any questions come up or if you need solar service.

Blake.Hazelrigg@SolarSpectrum.com

Original review: May 10, 2019

When I was researching about solar companies, Sungevity had the best customer service and answers from anybody. I went with them and the enrollment went fine. They answered my questions and my call. I worked with Patrick first and he was good. He answered my questions and he understood the process. Also, I talked about my needs and my future with them and they plot it in. So, it all seemed computerized, automated, and easy. I don’t have any problems with them so far.

Hi David,

Thank you for taking a moment to share a review on your feedback. Patrick is one of our senior reps and definitely prides himself on the experience he offers his customers. I will share your review with his manager to ensure he gets a pat on the back. Thank you for choosing us as your solar provider and please let us know if we can ever be of any assistance!

Blake.Hazelrigg@SolarSpectrum.com

Original review: May 7, 2019

I live in California and it gets pretty warm here. So, when we run the AC, those are expensive months. Also, I was considering purchasing an electric vehicle soon. Then, there's the fear of how energy is gonna go up in the future. I’ve always wanted to have solar because we have an abundance of sun here. It makes sense to tap into that and the whole green thing, too. I looked at the internet and there were all these different topics I was going through. One that popped up was Solar Spectrum's rating. I clicked on that and they were rated very high.

The sales portion was very easy, very helpful, and very clear as to what the system was capable of doing. And they gave me options for the payment, either a loan or cash. The enrollment went smooth but there was a little bit of hiccup with the schedule for the install. The first day that they were supposed to come out, we were waiting for them to show up. I thought we were still on and then that was when I found out that it had to be rescheduled. I had to make the initial call versus them calling me and telling me that they were gonna have to reschedule. So, had I not called, I’m not sure how much longer I would have to wait to find out that they were not gonna show up that day.

Then, there was a rebate that was supposed to be sent. I kinda reached out to the project manager and there was no return call or email or anything. So, I went back to the original salesperson that I worked with and he immediately resolved the issue. I imagine the check is in the mail, as they say. I’m not sure how much longer that’s gonna take. There were just a couple of hiccups in the communication, that could’ve been better during the installation process. Aside from that, the outfit that they used to install was very quick. It was a clean installation and they had it done in one day. Also, the project manager was in-charge in doing the permits and that went smooth.

I've been very satisfied with going solar, so far. I have the app and it’s nice to be able to keep tabs. A couple of times I’m questioning why it can produce much on Mondays as it did the other days even though the weather kinda went the same during that timeframe. So, I’m just gonna keep an eye on that thing and see how that all pans out, but so far, so good. It’s nice to tap into that sun and use it better. I’m glad I picked Solar Spectrum.

Hi Francisco,

We are so glad that you picked us too! We are glad we had the opportunity to help you use the sun to power home. If you ever have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly and we will get you the solar service you need.

Original review: May 4, 2019

I went online to get a quote for residential solar from Sungevity. Sales agent Mr. Jabali ** called me within one minute of my sending my email request on the Sungevity website. He led me through the positives associated with Sungevity and Solar Spectrum. He asked for specifics regarding the electrical usage at my house over the past year. I collected that data off my electrical provider's web page for my account, and sent it by email to Mr. **. Within an hour of collecting that data, Mr. ** called back and, online via "Mikogo" screen sharing software, went over a complete quote for my house, answering all questions efficiently and in depth. He then sent me the PFD of the proposal for me to read over the weekend. A good experience all the way around.

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for taking a moment to leave a 5 star survey. We are glad to hear you had a great experience with our consultant, Jabali. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us if there is ever anything else we can do to help improve your solar experience.

Original review: May 4, 2019

A friend recommended solar energy services to my wife and then we thought we’d go solar. We went with Sungevity for the financial offers that they had and enrolling with them was a piece of cake. It was the best thing I did. The salesperson, Will, was a really nice guy. I didn’t think I was gonna get solar, but after talking to Will and he explaining it, I decided I wanna go right away with Sungevity. They looked at my bill and told me what I needed. And from there, it was easy to decide. It was a dream come true for me.

The installation was the easiest thing ever. I got home, the guy was on the roof, and he said that they were going to wrap it up. I just couldn’t believe it. I didn’t know it would take one day to install. I had one issue with my electricity with the crew, but we got that resolved. It was a really nice experience. Sungevity is great. They're hard to beat. It’s been a breeze and I'm loving it. I enjoyed talking to people and I enjoy going solar. I’m looking forward to going live and doing something for the environment.

Hi Randall,

Thank you for taking the time to give a 5 star review about your experience with Will. We are glad to hear he got you the details you needed and made it an easy process. Please let us know if you ever have any questions or need assistance.

Blake.Hazelrigg@SolarSpectrum.com

Original review: April 24, 2019

Solar Spectrum - Zac ** (project manager) has done a phenomenal job of staying on top of everything through the course of this project. He is very pleasant, helpful, patient and has a laser eye focus in every step of the way. He is very good in follow up and follow through. He went beyond the boundaries of giving excellent and exceptional customer service. I'm more than 100% willing to recommend him and his company to families, relatives, friends and strangers who are planning to have solar panels installed in their respective houses.

Hi Ed,

Thank you for the incredible review about the experience you had with Zac. He is absolutely one of our top project managers and knows all of the ins and outs about what it takes to allow our customers to get their system installed and operating as smoothly as possible. I will share your feedback with the team to ensure he gets a pat on the back! Thank you so much for choosing us as your solar provider.

Senior Manager

Original review: April 21, 2019

Three years ago, I was trying to reduce my electric bill so I looked into solar energy services and Sungevity gave me the best deal with the options that I wanted at that particular time so I had it installed. However, Sungevity was bought out of bankruptcy and I’ve had issues with Solar Spectrum who took over. I’ve had issues and they didn’t fix them, and I had to pay for it out-of-pocket. Nevertheless, my most recent experience was great. I suggest that they take better care of the former Sungevity customers.

Original review: April 20, 2019

I’ve been wanting to go solar for about 30 years, and finally, it became financially viable. I had a guy come to my door and told us about it, after which I started searching around and calling different companies. I was excited about it. And then when I talked to the rep from Solar Spectrum Sungevity, I negotiated the price down on the kilowatts per hour and he gave me a good price. He beat everybody’s price and also talked about a $500 bonus for signing up. Plus, their availability for putting the system together was sooner than some of the other companies, so I went with them.

The enrollment process and getting things set up was super easy too. It was all done online and through phone calls. There were a couple of delays with the installation, though, due to the weather. They scheduled a certain date and then it rained so they scheduled another date. But then I couldn’t get off work, so we scheduled another date and that worked out. They even painted the conduit. It was a fantastic experience. So right now, I’m on solar power and it didn’t cost me a dime since I lease the system instead of buying it. Going solar has been fabulous.

Hi John,

Thank you for the great review! We are glad to hear you got the pricing you wanted and we got you installed in a timely fashion. We hope you save some money while you are powering your home with clean energy. Please let us know if you ever have any questions or need solar service. We will be here and happy to help!

Blake.Hazelrigg@SolarSpectrum.com

Original review: April 16, 2019

I have not completed the entire process of installing solar but I have talked to several companies and many of them will try to sell you a lot more solar or kw than you really need, I was happy that Solar Spectrum was honest and didn't do that. I have done a lot of research on the internet and have discovered how to calculate the size of the system I need on my own. This is another reason that I know Solar Spectrum didn't try to oversell me what I needed. Anthony was great how he explained the special roof mounting system that Solar Spectrum has in order to prevent roof leaks. In addition the warranty was good, it was exactly what I was looking for, the warranty covers the entire system for 20 years including parts and labor.

Original review: April 13, 2019

The enrollment process with Solar Spectrum wasn't difficult. The initial person I talked to made me feel that I was comfortable. The rep took all the time, and let me absorb stuff and ask more questions. It took a little while to get comfortable and make adjustments to the system that I wanted. And since I was oversizing it from more than what my house use, they made sure I had an inverter that was appropriately sized for flexibility. So, they were willing to work with me. The installation went fine except for the finishing details that weren't quite as up to snuff. I'm happy with Solar Spectrum and I'm not paying PG&E anything.

Original review: April 12, 2019

My electric bill pushed me to look into solar energy and since the consumer reports on Solar Spectrum Sungevity were okay and their equipment seemed high-quality, I decided to enroll with them. The enrollment process was easy. Steve was my rep and I had good interactions with him. Also, Sungevity's customer service responded to me promptly. Everything went well.

Hi Roderic,

Thank you for the review! Please let me know if there is anything I can do to turn your experience into five stars. We are very glad you chose us as your solar provider!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 10, 2019

I was inundated by calls from solar installers and Solar Spectrum Sungevity was quite persistent so I went with them. They seemed like on the up and up. It was very easy signing up with them. But they didn't finish the job. The solar panels are up and I would like to have the system working. It looked very good but it was not approved by Eversource. Solar Spectrum is not doing anything yet. I called up Zach, and he asked what was wrong with the installation that Eversource did not approve it. And I said that was really not my job. It's their job to bring it to completion including passing inspection by Eversource.

Original review: April 4, 2019

Solar Spectrum, (Specifically Sonny **.) saved me from dealing with a different fraudulent solar co. Sonny has been extremely professional and more informative than any other customer service provider I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. Frankly, Sonny has bulldogged for me and my family's solar needs and has single handedly slashed our energy bill to a quarter of what it was. Solar Spectrum, I firmly believe that your employee "Sonny **" is due for a raise and a promotion. He should be the model of customer service and prompt responsiveness in my opinion. Thank You Sonny/Solar Spectrum.

Hi Nic,

Thank you for taking the time to share details about your experience with Sonny! It sounds like he was very transparent with you and got you set up with a system that will help you save a lot of money while powering your household with sunshine. We are very happy that you chose us to be your solar provider and certainly hope you will not hesitate to let us know if any new questions or concerns come up. Our team looks forward to providing you service for many years to come.

Senior Manager

Original review: March 26, 2019

I had searched for a long time for a Solar Company to go with. I decided on Solar Spectrum and so far they have not let me down they have constantly kept up with email and phone calls and walked me through the entire process step by step. Their customer service is excellent my project manager has kept me up-to-date every step of the way. Even with installation issues regarding whether I never had any issues rescheduling for the dates that I wanted they have done a fantastic job.

Hi Juan,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this great feedback! There is a lot that goes into installing solar on our customers homes and we do all we can to make it as easy as possible and communicate where we are in the process. I will make sure you project manager gets a shout out. As you move forward down your solar journey, please don't hesitate to reach out to us if any questions or concerns come up! We will be happy to assist you.

Senior Manager

Original review: March 15, 2019

Going solar seemed to be the thing to do and I thought that it might save a little money in the long run. Aside from Solar Spectrum, I looked at one other provider, but the guy that I talked to from Solar Spectrum talked nicely. The enrollment process took a couple of months and it was easy. Then, the installation was done in one day. I have had solar power for four weeks now and I feel comfortable working through their program. I’m feeling pretty good making the switch to solar too. I am happy with it because we’ve had some sunshine here in Connecticut since then. But, I read in the local paper that the State of Connecticut is thinking of restricting or doing away with net metering, and I hope it doesn’t affect installations that are already in place.

Hi David,

I wanted to reach out and thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your solar experience. We are so happy that you chose us as your solar provider and feel comfortable with the program and change. We will be here for the long haul if you ever need any solar service, just give us a ring!

Senior Manager

Original review: March 8, 2019

We built a new house in 2015 and the intent was always to put solar on, but it took us a few years to get around to it. We weren’t aware of the leasing options until we received a prompting email from one of the companies that were offering that. We pursued the particular lead, then it turned out they would not install on a metal roof which we had on our garage, but Solar Spectrum would be able to do that, so we went with them. The enrollment process was very simple. The procedure was very well laid out initially and we didn’t have any false expectations. The design process, permitting and actual installation also went just as they said it would.

Everything has gone very well with Solar Spectrum so far, and so I am very happy. We sized the system to accommodate an electric car, which we also plan on getting. The monthly payments have been exactly what they said they would be, as well. We didn’t have to pay anything out of pocket initially, so everything is factored into the monthly cost over 25 years. Additionally, all the people that we dealt with at every stage were very professional and accommodating. We never encountered anybody who didn’t deliver on what they said they were gonna do. Going solar is very exciting. It’s great, so we’re very pleased.

Hi David,

Reading your review reminded us exactly why we love to do this. It is always awesome when we get this type of feedback that reminds us how exciting it is that we are helping our customers power their lives with sunshine. We are glad to hear you had a great experience and we look forward to providing top notch solar service for the years to come. If you ever have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out to us!

Senior Manager

Original review: March 6, 2019

I spoke with this company because they were highly rated in my area. The process was quite simple and done everything over the phone and computer. It was my first time looking into a solar options for my home in San Francisco and learned a lot about how solar works and the components. Still figuring out if solar is right for me or not but Solar Spectrum has very transparent in the process and will contact them back again when I’m ready.

Hi Andy,

Thank you so much for considering us to be your solar provider. We are very glad to hear that you appreciated our approach at showing you the benefits solar can provide your household. Please let us know if there is ever anything we can do to help with any future solar needs.

Senior Manager

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

Pretty much same story as many people since the bankruptcy in 2017. Issues with the monitoring and the inverter. Unable to get of anyone via email or phone for days. Left a ton of messages. Even tried Blake through email and phone thanks to Yelp, but no answer there either. Absolutely horrendous and despicable. Please, whatever you do, avoid this company. Wish you all the best.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I signed a contract on 10/1/18 & have yet to receive solar power. I am already being billed monthly for solar power, and still paying a monthly Edison bill too. My phone calls and emails have all gone unanswered. I have received multiple broken promises, & I continue to get the runaround from this company. I am extremely dissatisfied with the poor level of customer service (which includes: unanswered emails, unreturned phone calls, not making any promised deadline). This solar project is in the fifth month with no end in sight.

I have endured much headache for choosing to go with this company for solar panels and I deeply regret it. I contacted Blake ** in December and he assured me that he would handle all complaints/issues moving forward. However, he has yet to respond to any of my emails or calls for the past three weeks (including an email and voicemail from today). I have run out of options with this company and just wish that I could go back in time and chose a more professional company for my solar project.

Hi Meishelle,

I am sorry for the delay we are currently facing as we wait on the utility to open the door that will allow us to complete your project. We are very close to the finish line! At the time you signed up, you did receive a promotion for payment to help get your utility bill offset during the installation process. We will continue to see that through and ensure you receive those payments for the promotion. If there is anything else I can assist you with, please don't hesitate to let me know. If won't be long until you're powering your home with sunshine.

Senior Manager

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I spoke to Alex about solar and he showed me a lot of different options with thorough details. He was very professional and knew what he was talking about. So far it's been a great experience and I learned a lot in the process!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I've tried for the last year to contact Solar Spectrum. I have called and left messages. I have written and was sent various reference numbers and was told they would get back to me. NOTHING has happened. I'm angry and disappointed. I believe in using solar power. I cannot monitor my usage online. It just keeps on spinning but not showing me the bar graphs it used to show. I would like to get additional services from my solar company but I can't even find anyone to talk with. If Solar Spectrum chooses not to talk with customers, there should be a way we can switch to another company that is more responsible. I see that there are other reviews that are almost the same as mine. Is someone investigating what is going on with Solar Spectrum? Either contact me or please tell me how I can switch to another company.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I am very pleased with this company, they answered all my questions and more, went out of their way to get the best solar program for me, and in a timely manner. The sales, to the production were on key together to make my experience easy.

Hi Jodie,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review. It was really nice to read such great feedback.

Please do not hesitate to reach out if there is anything else we can do for you.

Kind Regards,

Liz D.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I wanted to save money and I selected Sungevity based on their customer service rating. The enrollment experience was easy, but the salesperson Alex would call me on different random numbers, which I didn't feel comfortable with. He also wouldn't come out to the house and go over anything. I would've liked to have somebody come out to the house, but he said they don't do that. It's a little quirky how they do business because of all the different numbers and every time you talk to somebody, it's a different company. Still, he was honest about what he said and the contract came up exactly as what he said. He negotiated with me a bit and brought it down to where I could afford, and I was really happy in that respect.

The installation was awesome. They had it done in two days and that gave me enough time to talk to the guys. They answered every question, broke things down, explained to me the details, explained how they were planning on the roof and showed me the glues they were putting on it that will ensure my roof will not leak. They had to make some changes for the engineering plans, but everything worked out fine. They were cordial and on time. I couldn't ask for a better group of people.

Solar Spectrum expert review by Zachary Shahan

One of the first solar installers to offer solar leasing, this company designs and installs solar systems for homes in California, Colorado, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York and Rhode Island. It has merged with Horizon Solar Power to become the fourth largest solar system provider.

• Remote Solar Design: Solar Spectrum uses a proprietary remote design technology to virtually look at your home and provide a quote without actually inspecting your roof. Consultation follows over the phone or online.

• Installation: Solar Spectrum takes care of the planning, paperwork, installation, arrangement for applicable rebates and other processes that may be needed. Monitoring: The company provides a mobile app that tracks solar production of your system anytime from anywhere.

• Pricing: For a 6.5-kilowatt system acquired on credit, average lease payment starts at $65–$155/month with a yearly increase of 0-2.9 percent for 20 years. But much depends on the size of the building to be energized, roof situation, electricity consumption, location and weather conditions. Solar systems are available via purchase, lease or PPA.

• Solar plans: The plans are a 20-year commitment with locked-in rates. When your leasing plan ends, you can either renew it or have the solar system removed.

• Warranty: Solar Spectrum provides a 25-year warranty on the panels and a 10-year warranty on the inverter.

Profile picture of Zachary Shahan
Zachary Shahan Solar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.

Solar Spectrum Company Information