Call toll free
3.88/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Solar Spectrum energy plans, powered by Sungevity, were designed for homeowners looking for the advantages of solar energy without the upfront costs often associated with going solar. We offer a locked-in solar electricity price with payment options to fit your budget. We also take on the burden of operating, repairs and monitoring so you can experience the benefits of solar without any hassle.

Contact us today for a free consultation to find out if a solar energy system is the right fit for your home or business.

View More View More

70 Solar Spectrum Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

Lowering my utility services, as well as energy savings and the environment, led me to look into solar energy services. I had good feedback from some of the people that have Sungevity services, and I did some research, too. Noticed that they were doing a great job, I had the opportunity to talk to them and they provided me with all the services pretty fast, so that was a plus. They also answered all of my questions. Enrollment was pretty fast. I was checking online, then I submitted my request for a contact and they call me two minutes after. So, that same night, I received a lot of information that was gonna be useful more than what I had in the past, from current customers. Then we set up an appointment.

The appointment was performed within 24 hours. They arrived at my residence on time and they answered all of my questions again. They were extremely polite people. Right now, we're just waiting on the permit to somehow go ahead on performing the installation -- that should be done sometime this week. Also, the quote that I was given, it was granted in the contract. For recent people that worked with me, they have their services already stated that they have no issues at all. I'm pretty pleased with what I received. Great customer service and I'm happy. They have been tracking everything, contacting me, providing me with updates. Not many people take time to call you back and ask you for any questions you might have, make sure that everything is taken care of, that if you have any other questions, they'll be there for you. You don’t see that often.

Get expert buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

In California, I anticipated that the rates for energy are going to go up because of the fire damage in so many homes. So, I decided to look into solar energy services. I went online saw that Sungevity was rated as the best. I went with them and found that their rep, Jacob was fantastic. He had a very soft-style approach that was more about information. I felt very comfortable.

Enrolling with Sungevity was very easy. Some documentation that we had in the computer and then printed made it incredibly easy to sign the initial documents and scan them back to their reps. Thereafter, it was a one day install and everything was up and running in less than a month. Though we're anxious to see how our bill shows up, so far, I'm very satisfied with Sungevity. I'm very happy with how the process went. I had solar installed before at my previous house and it wasn't as easy.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Worst company out there. They don’t tell you that they are directly related to Horizon Solar which has terrible ratings everywhere online. They lie to you over the phone continually. They get the panels on your roof right away so that you can’t back out of your contract. Then if you need any type of electrical work done forget it. They will make appointments and never show up. They continually make promises they don’t keep. This is a long relationship with a company that is unable to manage their independent contractors. If they can’t even do that how are they going to manage your solar energy for the next 20 years??? Do yourself a favor go with a better company. This is truly the worst company I have ever dealt with in my many years of owning a home.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I believe that I was subjected to a "bait and switch" scheme. I was sold a 6405-watts replacement photovoltaic system in direct competition with a COSTCO system. I paid to enlarge the system to 6710-watts to meet future needs. I was forced to pay $24,681 for the complete system before Solar Spectrum would put it online. Once online, I discovered that the Solar Edge 5000HT inverter would clip my production at 5000 watts during the peak summer months. I am paying for electric to my utility for the first time in 16 years. I bought the panels. Solar Spectrum seems to only be able to deal with customers who rent the system from them. They have also granted then denied me access to the panel performance data. I believe I own the panels, the warranty and the right to evaluate the performance of each panel.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I wanted to eventually try to swap off of gas entirely so I'm moving my whole house towards electric. Sungevity had a really good website. I'm a web developer so that's something I look at. The reps were pretty attentive and got back to me regularly. It was a pretty good experience. But they could have explained the tax refund more elaborately. I didn’t really understand the process. I had to call them a couple of times and get a manager to really explain it to me. So how the tax rebate work exactly wasn’t very clear.

I knew that I get a percentage back on the cost of solar panel. I assumed that I would have to apply that to my taxes yearly based on my month payment and I’d get a tax return back per year on whatever I paid towards the solar panels that year. But it turns out it’s one large lump sum for the whole cost, and then that’s it. So, that wasn’t really clear to me. One lump sum versus a yearly sum, that wasn’t really explained.

Their quote and the front cost were pretty much the same. The installation went pretty good. The installation team was really cool and nice, and they got their job done. They failed to install several safety measures and they had to come back later to install them. So, that was a little upsetting. But the installer set it up pretty quickly. The UI panel that tell me how much electricity I’m making and it’s pretty cool. I'm enjoying it.

Hi Noah,

We sure appreciate the 4 star review! Sorry we had to make an extra trip to wrap things up. If there is ever anything we can do to help with your solar journey, please just let us know.

Senior Manager

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Solar Spectrum?

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Our experience with Solar Spectrum has been fine. We had a $400 bill back then and then cut it in half by putting solar in. I deal with Lowe's all of the time and Solar Spectrum was in Lowe's. I trust Lowe's for everything and so I signed up with Solar Spectrum. Lowe's was part of their setup and was sponsoring Solar Spectrum.

People from the Solar Spectrum came to the house. However, it took time when their installers put the panels in and inspected them. Still, they did a great installation and they're probably the best in the neighborhood. There are people that come up to me all the time saying what a great job was done. The quote they gave us was perfect and on target. I needed to get everything done to my satisfaction and everything was done perfectly. The bills also come through fine. In the beginning, they didn’t send out a bill ‘cause they were confused, but I got that straightened out. Overall, I'm happy with Solar Spectrum and 100% satisfied with them. I recommend it to all my neighbors, friends and relatives.

Hi Ron,

Thank you for the wonderful review! We are very glad to hear your are pleased with the overall experience and we love it when our customers get compliments on their systems aesthetics. If you ever have any questions or concerns along your solar journey, please do not hesitate to reach out to us and we will be happy to help in any way that we can!

Blake.Hazelrigg@SolarSpectrum.com

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I am writing my review based on my experiences with Solar Spectrum. This is the company that bought Sungevity. The irony is I called them based on their top review rating on this website. Anthony was very informative although he required me to sign an agreement to get the estimate of what it would cost to have solar put on the house. All of this occurred in one phone call. I was impressed with the expedience, but concerned about docusigning the agreement. He said the agreement wasn't valid until the Solar Spectrum people had signed it and sent me a copy with both signatures.

I was also given a Notice of Cancelation, which by law I have 3 days to use. He sent an home inspector out to see if our roof was a viable option for solar within the three days. I canceled the agreement, (which still was not signed by the company) on the third day. I sent this to Anthony. He responded several times afterwards, so I know he received it. 10 days later I get a message from the project manager at Solar Spectrum saying they have submitted my project to the building dept. for a permit! I also get an email from billing to go over how I would be billed for my project. I called the billing dept. and explained that I had canceled this agreement 10 days prior.

Today I get a phone call from the project manager saying I would be billed for the work they had performed after I canceled my agreement. I told him that he had no right to perform this work, due to the fact that the agreement was canceled. He argued with me until I was infuriated! He also told me that I didn't send my Notice of Cancelation to right person...which was the person who request said agreement from me in the first place. I told him that I would seek an attorney if I receive a bill from him. He said to do so and that "we're a big company"! I feel bullied, harassed and threatened by this company. I would advise to stay away from them.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

My electricity bills averaged over $350 a month. I kept thinking about going solar for the longest time and one day online, somebody came out with a thing that said, “The 10 best solar companies in California.” I called number one and that was Solar Spectrum. Everything was A-plus about my experience with them. Enrolling was simple and very easy. They were able to look up my house without even being here using aerial shots like Google Earth and told me what it was gonna take. Then we put a deal together almost immediately and everything was very smooth. The rep I worked with was a wonderful guy and he was very easy to talk to. He seemed to be very interested in my experience and it being a good one. Also, the quote they gave me was almost the same as the final cost.

I have a weird shaped roof and there are places on it that you really couldn’t put solar panels. But they gotta be able to see the sun, or else the system doesn’t work. Solar Spectrum's reps did a good job and when they finished, it didn’t look bad. On the front of my house, you wouldn't think I have solar unless you really start looking. I’m happy with what they did. Their customer service reps call me quarterly as well and everything is working fine. In fact, there is an appointment next Tuesday. It has been a year and somebody is coming out to check and make sure everything is working right. I should’ve gone solar before but technology got better, so I feel like I did the right thing at the right time. I would highly recommend Sungevity too.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

My electric bill went up $400 dollars last month and my electric company told me that my solar panels aren't performing. So I called Solar Spectrum. I called them 4 or 5 times and got an answering machine every single time. I then sent them an email and got an automatic "your request has been received" with a number to call for immediate assistance. I called the number and got a machine twice more. I called the regular number a couple more times too. I'm getting absolutely nothing from them and we had a 20 year maintenance contract when we signed up with Sungevity customer before the bankruptcy. We were assured that the change to Solar Spectrum wouldn't interrupt anything. Clearly they lied.

Hi Francesgrace,

I can definitely understand that a $400 increase in electric bill would catch you off guard. I took a look into your systems production and found that it has been consistently producing and meeting our estimates. I am guessing that the increase in billing is due to higher usage in the summer months (AC unit?). I am going to send you a direct email so we can review this and I can address any other questions or concerns you may have.

Blake.Hazelrigg@SolarSpectrum.com

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I recently noticed their online production monitoring isn't being updated so I first sent an email and then I've left a voice message. I've waited days with no response from either one and so I tried calling back and selecting the option that I was interested in purchasing. I waited awhile and then the recording stated they couldn't take my call and to leave a message. So now what do I do? My first company Sungevity went bankrupt and now I'm wondering if this one has too? I've searched the web and this site is the only place where I've found out anything and it seems others are having this same type of problem but no one yet seems to know what the problem is at this company in terms of not communicating with its customers.

Hi Phil,

I am sorry to hear that you had trouble getting through to our customer service team! I just looked into your systems performance and found it is doing very well and it looks like we have granted you access to our monitoring portal. I just sent you an email directly as I want to ensure all of your needs and questions are addressed.

Blake.Hazelrigg@SolarSpectrum.com

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Purchase my solar panels from Sungevity in 2012. I have A roof leak under the solar panels. I have texted and emailed and Received an automated case number but no follow up. I keep calling and emailing with no results, nobody will call me back. We are in the middle of the monsoons and I have water leaking out of my dining room light, the roofers will not fix it because of the solar panels. I cannot get anybody to contact me. My next step is an attorney.

Hi Susan,

Sorry to hear that you did not receive a quick response from us! I took a look into your account and found that another company actually services your account. I will reach out to your directly and provide you with their contact information to ensure you have that moving forward.

Blake.Hazelrigg@SolarSpectrum.com

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I have e-mailed Solar Spectrum at least 5 times over the 2 weeks with their response being, "I'll have a tech check the problem" with my panels in the order it was received. I called yesterday and left a message. My panels have not been producing since July 9th and my electric bill went up over $250 last month. I'm at a point where they can come and get their panels. I am very dissatisfied with their customer service dept since no one seems to care about my problem. I'm also unable to check into my production to see if anything has been done.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

For past one week I have been trying to reach Solar Spectrum. They never lift the phone and they never communicate. My system is not producing any electricity and also website is not showing producing values for whole year. They gave us 25 years warranty and not maintaining it. This is frustrating, we never expected this kind of company exists in USA.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I checked all of the solar energy providers and Solar Spectrum's price was reasonable. I got solar energy to save money and it was environment appropriate also. During the enrollment process with Solar Spectrum, I kept asking them for all the paperwork, but they never sent it to me even though I asked them at least nine times. And I still haven’t got the papers. All I needed were the papers or the documents, all my warranties and all those things. And also for the rebates, I asked them to send me something so I can show it to my accounter, but nothing. I also had a bad experience after they were done with the setup. Once they got their money, they didn’t care about me and they ignored me. It has been four months since they installed it, but even the sales rep is not responding to my calls anymore because he got his commission. He doesn’t need to worry about me and he’s looking for somebody else.

Everything about the installation was easy and on a professional level. Everybody did their job and they finished it within one day. I don’t have any problem as far as the use of the system, it’s just the customer service or support is not there when I need them. But we’re saving money on the energy right now, so that’s a good thing.

Hi Behroz,

Thank you for the review. I am glad to hear you had a good experience with the install and that you are saving money. With that said I want to apologize that you have had trouble getting the papers you need. I am more than happy to assist with this. If you would please reach out to me using my contact info below and just let me know what I can provide to help I will get this sent over to you. I look forward to doing all I can to turn your experience around. Thank you for choosing us as your solar provider!

Original review: July 29, 2018

Did not honor the 20 year warranty. Sungevity installed our solar panels two years ago. We received a bill of over $1500 from Edison. I contacted Sungevity and the following is the response I received from Solar Spectrum: "​​Thank you for contacting Customer Service. Our records indicate that you were a customer of Sungevity, Inc. That company was dissolved in a bankruptcy proceeding last year. In that proceeding, the Sungevity brand was purchased and is now being used by a different company than the one you originally did business with.

Sungevity’s customers were not a part of that acquisition. You should have received notification of this fact through the bankruptcy sometime last year. Unfortunately, this means that there is no longer a company standing behind the warranty and performance guarantee included with your system. If you are having problems with your system, you will need to find a service provider in your area to evaluate and address the issue."

This email tells it all! They will not honor Sungevity's existing customers, which Sungevity told us whoever acquired them would. They seem very professional, but do not honor their responsibilities. I'm also concerned with ConsumerAffairs that has them listed as one of the top solar installation companies. ConsumerAffairs you need to dig into Solar Spectrum and find out what their business practices really are. How many customers will Solar Spectrum obtain (and guarantee 20-25 year warranties) before they file bankruptcy again and start under a new name?

Hi Linda,

I am sorry for the poor experience that the Sungevity Inc created for you. We are a new company with new management and are working hard to provide our customers with the best product and experience in the industry. If you ever have any solar related questions, I would be happy to answer them for you and do all that I can to help turn your solar experience around.

Senior Manager

Original review: July 19, 2018

I had solar on my previous house that I sold and I wanted to use solar again on my new purchase. I enrolled with Solar Spectrum and at first, my experience was great. However, there was some miscommunication between the project manager and some things with Redding Power here and me. The project manager wanted me to get some information to Redding Power, so he sent me this paperwork over. I filled out what I needed to fill out, took it over to Redding Power and they were supposed to fill out a ton of stuff from Spectrum before I even went there. But it didn’t happen, so I had to resend it back to him then he had someone else come pick it up from me and took it over there. If it was filled out before I received it, it would have been great, instead of me going over there and turning it in.

Then, I asked for one part of the equipment to be mounted inside and I checked into it with the city, the code, and I was fine to do it. I talked to the project manager and he was supposed to do that but somehow, he forgot to give the plans for it to be on the exterior. And when they were done, I asked where they mounted it and they said it was in the outside of the building. But it was done now, so I told them to leave it. Once we got that through, it was good. It’s just that I’m a person that when you tell me something, that’s what I’d expect. And when you tell me something totally different and kinda backtrack a little bit, that doesn’t sit well with me. But we worked it all out.

The sales side of it was great and the Spectrum sales guy was really good. If I couldn’t get a hold of the project manager, I would call the sales guy I spoke with, and he would make sure the guy got in contact with me. Then, the installation of the panels took a couple of days.and it was really clean. The main part was installed in a day, then they had to wait for something from the city, so they had to replace the panel, which took another day. The system has been live now for about three weeks but I can’t see what it’s producing. I can’t determine that unless I call them and they can see it. I shouldn’t have to do that. I’ve called a couple of times about it and it’s supposed to be fixed.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Because of the high cost of electric bills, I looked into solar energy services and was going through Sungevity and another company. We called up Sungevity and Mike was the main guy I dealt with. They explained a lot of things to me and they had the better deal. We made the decision that way. Everything went good with the installation. They came out on time, went through the things with me and checked if I needed anything changed and then they accommodated. The entire process took close to two months and they did really well for me.

Hi Alfredo,

Thank you for providing the amazing feedback. We always work hard to provide this sort of experience and it is great to hear it from our customers when we do! If there is ever anything I can do to help along your solar journey please don't hesitate to reach out to me.

Senior Manager

Original review: July 13, 2018

My experience with Solar Spectrum started off well. They made financing and scheduling calls and set up the panels within a reasonable amount of time. Then the problems started raining down. My setup failed the first inspection with the town. No big deal... these things happen right? The two guys who set up the panels initially came out again and made some repairs/changes and I was given a date for a second inspection. I couldn't be there as I was getting surgery that day but my folks were. My dad is very electrically savvy so I figure it's a good idea for him to be there anyway. So I come home from my surgery and my folks tell me it failed the second inspection and they didn't have much to tell me.

So I figure I will hear something from Jeff in New Jersey or Christina who has also been managing my account. Nothing. So I call and leave them both messages.

Nothing. I call and email both of them. Nothing. No answers, no responses. One guy I emailed, Quin, got me a rejected email message as if his email account isn't there anymore. Today is July 13th 2018 as I write this. The panels failed their second inspection July 3rd. I still haven't heard a peep from anyone at Solar Spectrum. Every number I have called that I can find tells me they are super busy and to leave a message and someone will call back. I have left messages at 4 different voicemail locations. 10 days of absolutely no communication and all I have right now is a shiny roof addition.

The electrician who did the work did a very clean aesthetic install but apparently missed some code violations. The problem is a mystery to me at this time. Can anyone out there shed some light on this for me? Did Solar Spectrum suddenly close up shop? I haven't given them a dime yet fortunately but DCU is probably not far from sending me a bill I'm guessing. They have sent me all the initial literature for a new member with a loan after all. Can anyone give me any suggestions? Thanks.

Original review: July 10, 2018

My family, my daughter and her family, and my other daughter and her family lived in my house for three years. The one was going to school and the other one was paying for a house, so my electric bill was off the chart. Right when they moved out, I decided to look into solar. I did some homework on some good solar companies and I chose to do it at that point in time because I wanted to beat and cheat PG&E, and I did. Then I found out that they based it off to annual income and I said that I’m gonna get it out then because that way, you get no more than what you use per year which means I'm gonna be paying a bit more and more because the solar system that I'd get that they would only approve would surpass my needs. The electricity that I need is gonna surpass my needs that my system can buy, so instead of getting an 8.2 system, I got an 8.5. I beat the system at PG&E because they spent a 10-kilowatt super powerhouse.

I looked on the internet and I was looking at the prices too then I thought I'd go go with Solar Spectrum. The enrollment was easy. I called and spoke to Eli and another rep, and they were real nice. I was a little bit ahead and I wanted to get the thing going. But they got all the works and they just reminded me to sign my documents online which I did. During the installation, I just watched them when I was out here once in a while. The installers cleaned up all their mess. When the team forgot to put a couple of tags on and do some things, the inspector came out and took care of that real quick. Solar Spectrum finished it in one day and they turned it on for me. They said they weren’t supposed to, but it really didn’t matter because the power can’t be used until PG&E approves it. They just turned it on so when I got the okay from PG&E, I didn’t have to go outside and do anything.

And one thing I like about Solar Spectrum is that we would talk about leaks in the ceiling and they said that there’s a triple seal that they have on their things going to the roofing so they’ll come out and take care of it. Since then, I’m just eager to look at my next bill because my bill before I got solar installed was only $69. It used to be $300 with all my family living with me. But there’s one thing going around where I can sign up for another provider that guarantees me that my gas doesn’t go over $30 a month for three to four years so I did that. I knew that PG&E did it on my annual usage so with what I was using the prior year is going to take about 60 years for that to catch.

But I wish I could have gotten a battery with the system but they are very expensive. I wouldn’t be able to afford an extra $15,000. Besides, I generate about 80% more power than I use so even though I run my air conditioner the whole day long because I’m permanently and totally disabled and I get anxiety so I get hot all the time, I’m sure PG&E has taken the generated power and they'll send me a nice paycheck at the end of the year.

Hello Clemmon,
First, we would like to thank you for the thoughtful review. Next, CONGRATS on going solar. those are some awesome savings! We will be sure to let Eli and the team know about the awesome shout out as well.
Now that you have experienced the many benefits of going Solar with us let us reward you with up to $2000.
• Earn $2,000 for your third referral and every referral thereafter.

* We make it as easy as 1, 2, 3, to share your love of Solar with family, friends, and neighbors. Login to the Ambassador portal. https://sungevity.getambassador.com/ Straight from your portal you can share your Link on social media or enter referrals manually by using the direct entry form. For Assistance Call: (866) 488-1922 or Email shineitforward@sungevity.com Warm Regards, Liz D.

Original review: July 3, 2018

My wife and I decided to switch to a solar panel system based on our religion. I’m a Bahá'í and our supreme body, Universal House of Justice, decided that each individual should also help to prevent this atmospheric heating by not using the unrenewable resources like coal and oil. We should try to use the renewable energy sources like solar and wind instead. At least an individual, although it may not be financially visible, we can do something to prevent this wrongdoing.

I saw solar energies on the computer and I saw that Solar Spectrum is the best so I gave them a call. However, they work with the computer only. There was no mailing and that really gave me a little hard time. I'm 83 years old and I’m not computer savvy especially when signing via the computer which was mind-boggling for me. Other than that, Solar Spectrum was really good. They followed up and it smoothly sailed through. The installation was wonderful. They said that it would take two days but they finished it in half a day. I have my solar energy since May 3rd and I’m now enjoying it. I put the cooling to 80 degrees instead of 84 to 85. Now that it's free as it's from the sun, I don’t have to pay or use somebody else’s energy source. I’m very satisfied with Solar Spectrum.

Hi Emin,

Thank you for the incredible 5 star review! We are always working to eliminate as much dirty energy usage as we can and we couldn't be more thrilled that you chose us to help you make the switch! If your friends or family plan on doing the same thing, don't forget that we have the best referral program in the industry. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us if there is ever anything we can assist you with.

925.241.1531 (direct line)

Blake.Hazelrigg@SolarSpectrum.com

Original review: June 27, 2018

In order to save money on electricity and to utilize the sun for energy needs, we wanted to get solar. Sungevity's rating made us chose them. It was fairly easy to get going with their program. But there was some miscommunication involved during the construction, which caused some issues that we ironed out between us. There were a couple of times where we weren’t notified that a crew was coming out and so were awoken at 7 o’clock in the morning and there was a crew out front. That was a rough day. It was a surprise, but we still let them do the job.

They were also short on panels so that extended the install time. One of their reps that we dealt with was just overworked and overlooked some notifications that needed to be made, which caused me to have to prompt them for information instead of them giving us the information first. Other than that, the installation was smooth. From beginning to end, it took almost two months. We've had the system for almost 3 months now and we're saving about $500 a month. We should have gotten solar a long time ago.

Hello Glin,
First, we would like to thank you for the thoughtful review. We apologize for the miscommunications in the beginning and are happy to hear everything worked out. We can use these examples as training opportunities in the future and want to thank you for sharing them with us.
It sounds like you are experiencing some awesome savings with your new solar system! Congratulations! That’s incredible.
• Earn $2,000 for your third referral and every referral thereafter.

Original review: May 26, 2018

The service I received from Sungevity was good. They did the installation and I didn’t do anything but looked at it. Sungevity called me several times and asked about my experience, and I told them everything has been fine. I had an excellent experience overall. My bills are exorbitant, and I’m anxious to find a drop in my electric bill now that I have Sungevity.

Hi Arnold,
First, we would like to thank you for the thoughtful review.
• Earn $2,000 for your third referral and every referral thereafter.

Original review: May 21, 2018

Solar Spectrum was the first solar provider I called. They were good about what they did and were very proactive in everything. They're fast, efficient and their project manager was totally awesome. I was totally happy with their sales and service. The whole process took two weeks but the delay wasn't with Solar Spectrum but with the City of Palm Springs in getting them out here to do an inspection. But as far as Solar Spectrum went, I had the final drawings within a short period of time and everything was done rather quickly. They then called up to say that they were coming out on a Saturday for the installation. I have the solar panels up and running since the end of March and I'm extremely satisfied with my decision to go solar because my electric bill was too high before. I would highly recommend Solar Spectrum.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I was into solar energy to save on electrical cost. I went online and looked at different websites and Solar Spectrum came up continuously as highly rated. Enrolling with them was good and comfortable. Once I decided to go with them, my home remodelling project wasn’t ready to accept the solar panels so I put them off for probably two months before they could actually install the unit. It took about 12 weeks to get the solar panels up and running but things went well and installation went smoothly. Their customer service rep stayed with me the whole way and he was good. The actual solar panels have been turned on and hooked up to Southern California for about three weeks. I hope I'd be satisfied with going solar.

Hi Dennis,
First, we would like to thank you for the time you took to write us such an awesome review.
• Earn $2,000 for your third referral and every referral thereafter.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I’m retired now and I wanted to put solar power on the roof. I looked at one service provider and then I found something on a webpage about ratings of companies, and Solar Spectrum was rated number one so I picked them. The initial person I talked to had all the answers right away, did the design, had me online with him looking at papers that they had so I didn't have to go to an office. He explained everything. I waited a day and talked to my wife and said that we wanted to do this. I called back Solar and they had me send the contract online and then they took over.

The project manager was very patient, always quick to answer any question and called if there are any changes. He understood that I live in a homeowner's association and that I had to get approval from them first. And then once we got the approval, they had the panels up and running within a day. The installation was fast. However, it took a little while for PG&E to respond. But obviously, PG&E is a monopoly so they weren’t nice to their customers all the time. The panels were producing power before PG&E signed off on it. PG&E just had to connect us to their network so that they could get the power to them. So, during the daytime, we were running on solar. And at night, we're running on PG&E.

Now, what we're doing is that PG&E buys the excess power from us and then our bill is reduced dramatically. I'm looking a month during the production and it looks pretty good, although we haven't seen the results yet on the bill. Still, I was happy with my decision to go solar. I thank Solar’s team for being nice, efficient and for being good people to work with.

Hi Michael,

We can't thank you enough for the thorough and positive review. We are glad to hear you are happy with your decision to go solar and we are happy you chose us to help make that a reality. Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help.

Senior Manager

Original review: May 11, 2018

My solar bill shot up a lot. My son and daughter-in-law were with Sungevity and they really liked it and thought it was great. Also, the offer that had been around was going to be closing soon, so I decided to try it. Enrolling was a good experience. I've worked with several reps, Christina being the latest one, and they were cheerful, helpful, and followed through. There also wasn't a cost to put the system in. The installers who came were very nice, quick, cheerful and were good to work with. I would recommend Sungevity every time.

Hi Margaret,

I wanted to reach out and thank you for your review. Christina is one of our very strong project managers and I am glad to hear she provided a delightful experience. Don't forget we have an amazing referral program for you to take advantage of if any of your friends decide to go solar. Welcome to the Sungevity family!

Senior Manager

Original review: May 3, 2018

I ended up on Sungevity through Josh Fox’s grassroot webpage, and out of curiosity entered my information to see how much it would cost to go solar for our condominium. Although it turned out getting solar panels for our condos were a bit more tricky, Sonny helped me through the process of figuring it out. Inquiring about solar panels can be an anxious process because people usually have no idea how or what to expect, so I really appreciated his patience and friendliness throughout! If I were to figure out the logistics and get the approval from the HOA, I would love to go back and do business here!

Hi Sammy,

We appreciate you looking into solar with us. There are a lot of moving parts when it comes to getting a solar system up and running and we really feel our team is equipped to deliver the best customer experience in the industry. We hope you will keep us in mind for all of your future solar needs!

Senior Manager

Original review: May 2, 2018

My electric bill was bigger than I wanted it to be, then I went with Solar Spectrum as they were rated the top solar provider. Enrolling with them was very smooth. I worked with Pete and Quinn, and they were very patient. However, none of these solar providers understand the difference between a DC and an AC watt. And because of that, they sized the inverter too small. This is the fourth time now between my son and one of my brothers and my daughter. They all wanted to size it wrong. But aside from that, the rest of the experience was pretty good. The installers were in and out very quickly in half a day. Although, we're not yet done and I'm still waiting for my SREC which they are working on, the array is on the roof and it is operational right now. Solar Spectrum is a good company to work with.

Hi Phillip,

Thanks for the feedback. I just checked in with our team and we are on the final lap wrapping things up with Eversource. It won't be long until you're taking advantage of this beautiful spring sunshine. Don't ever hesitate to let us know if you need anything.

Senior Manager

Original review: April 29, 2018

I went online and Googled the top solar companies in our area. The search came up with Solar Spectrum as the number one by far so I went to their website and I inquired. They had a little form to fill out, just the basic name, phone number and whether we rent or own. Within less than five minutes, the gentleman called me and wanted to know how serious we were. We got started right then and they were punctual and helpful. The enrollment process was very simple. When they first do the survey when they talk to you, they want two months of your energy usage. But we were still in the process of buying the house then.

Solar Spectrum asked a bunch of questions, like what we had in the house, the electric, the gas, the computers, and the TV. They worked with us step by step in each room. They were very helpful in having the size of the system since we didn't own the home yet. It was very simple and they were personable. They explained things very well so it was a great experience. Other than they were very professional, they cleaned up after themselves as well which I really appreciated. They were great, courteous, polite and forthcoming. They didn't mind answering a bunch of "I have no idea what you're doing, can you explain it to me?" questions.

The longest wait in the process was getting the permit. Like any other construction, you have to have a permit. But Solar Spectrum talked us through at each step of the way. There was always someone calling us, saying, "Okay, this is your next step." Or when the guys came out, "We're waiting for the inspector to come out," and, "This is when you can expect it." Within about 24 hours of either direction, they were spot on. They said it will take 10 days for the permit. Within 24 hours, they were exactly right, so it was awesome. There was no hiccup. It has been seamless and great. It was exactly what we wanted. We have already referred friends to them and it was absolutely a wonderful service.

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for the amazing review and thank you for telling your friends and family about us. We have an industry leading referral program and it sounds like you're well on your way to take advantage of it. I'm also glad to hear that it sounds like our team was very thorough and made the construction project as simple as possible for you. If you ever have any questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me.

Senior Manager

Original review: April 27, 2018

Jeff is very professional and very thorough when he explain how the process of getting solar works from the application to final process. He always have answer to all my question. Jeff is very professional and knows his product. His presentation of how solar works from the application to final process was very thorough. He has answer all my questions so now I have more understanding of what to look for when I ask for a quote. Thank you Jeff. I hope to do business with you in the future.

Hi Tessie,

We appreciate you taking the time to learn about solar with Jeff. He is one of our all-star sales managers and prides himself on his knowledge of our product. Please keep us in mind for all of your future solar needs!

Solar Spectrum expert review by Zachary Shahan

Sungevity was one of the first solar installers to offer solar leasing, but it is not tied to that financing model. It uses a unique, efficient, satellite-based system for providing customers with an initial solar quote.

• iQuote: Sungevity’s iQuote system is a very efficient, satellite-based system for providing customers with a solar system quote without having to visit their property.

• Financing options: Sungevity was a solar leasing pioneer, but it is reportedly agnostic when it comes to leasing versus loan or cash options.

• Dedicated project manager: Sungevity provides you with a dedicated project manager so you don’t have to go through automated customer support.

• Service: Sungevity offers service to seven states in the U.S. in addition to providing service in Australia and the Netherlands.

• Manufactures: Sungevity doesn’t have a manufacturing arm, so it is subject to changes and potential lack-of-supply in the solar panel manufacturing market.

• Best for: homeowners, small and large businesses, government agencies and nonprofits, leasing and PPA customers, solar beginners and cash and loan consumers.

Profile picture of Zachary Shahan
Zachary Shahan Solar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.

Solar Spectrum Company Information