Call toll free
3.80/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Solar Spectrum energy plans, powered by Sungevity, were designed for homeowners looking for the advantages of solar energy without the upfront costs often associated with going solar. We offer a locked-in solar electricity price with payment options to fit your budget. We also take on the burden of operating, repairs and monitoring so you can experience the benefits of solar without any hassle.

Contact us today for a free consultation to find out if a solar energy system is the right fit for your home or business.

View More View More

92 Solar Spectrum Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I spoke to Alex about solar and he showed me a lot of different options with thorough details. He was very professional and knew what he was talking about. So far it's been a great experience and I learned a lot in the process!

Get expert buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I've tried for the last year to contact Solar Spectrum. I have called and left messages. I have written and was sent various reference numbers and was told they would get back to me. NOTHING has happened. I'm angry and disappointed. I believe in using solar power. I cannot monitor my usage online. It just keeps on spinning but not showing me the bar graphs it used to show. I would like to get additional services from my solar company but I can't even find anyone to talk with. If Solar Spectrum chooses not to talk with customers, there should be a way we can switch to another company that is more responsible. I see that there are other reviews that are almost the same as mine. Is someone investigating what is going on with Solar Spectrum? Either contact me or please tell me how I can switch to another company.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I started looking at the solar business about four years ago. PG&E's way of handling business as of late has not been good. They've been passing the bills or the prices, the increase for the fee and bill to make up for their mistakes. That’s outrageous, so I needed to find a different fix. I had a friend of mine that had solar and I was kind of partial. I know solar works, but I'm a little skeptical on some things and I wanna see the risk factors of getting it. But I just let things work itself out after doing more research and study on the factors and what the best fit was.

I kept dealing with other companies and finding more information as I went and not having them agree to my terms. I realized I'm the one who has the power because I could say, "Yes" or "No" so I have to find somebody that's gonna be transparent. I told them that I wanted complete transparency and they kinda waffled here and there. I wanted the prices later when I make the final purchase or decide to go with one. After going through so many procedures, I ran into Solar Spectrum. I asked them questions that I didn't get answers to so I was impressed with that. They piqued my curiosity and I told them that I'm gonna go further and we'll talk as it goes. I also told them to be patient and I'll be patient as well.

They kept coming back and I would ask more questions and they would answer more, but I was not giving in yet. Then a friend of mine did a background check on them for me and through the BBC and she said that Solar Spectrum has really good to high rating. She said it looks like a very reputable company, and she gave me the green light. That kind of did it to my final decision to go for it.

Solar Spectrum worked with me to customize my solar system. In the beginning, the process was going pretty smoothly with the gentleman that I started working with. Our interactions were open and honest. They went through the step-by-step process of giving me the best thing for the buck. They told me what solar panel to use and how many I'd need. They strategized on the roof and they showed me examples and comparison of how much I would get when I put these so many panels in a day.

They tried to find the best situation for me and I asked them for a connection to the battery. I wanted that put in place until further notice when I could afford to get a battery if it's feasible, and they didn't. They said it was gonna cost and that was the hold back as well. I told them that I would not move forward because every other company I've talked to did not do this. To their credit, this was what finally would seal the deal even further.

The gentleman called back and said they found out that it was actually cheaper and it could be done, but I was the first customer to ever ask for something like that. I thought I was just trying to be proactive. I know it's gonna cost me again to get someone else to do it, so I'd rather do this whole thing now and be ready for that time when I can put a battery in there when I need it. I just wanna have that option. So they finally did it and they got it at a cheaper cost.

But then there were some things that did not go very well. My account went through different hands because the reps' hours are different. Then they ran into a certain wall. They were supposed to have the panels installed sometime mid-summer and it didn't happen. It took longer than it should have but I was extremely patient. I was getting frustrated though and I was short of yelling sometimes. Still, I've been trying to be understanding but then it started getting stressful later when I wasn't getting any calls anymore.

Finally, I got a call from the last guy. He was very polite and he apologized for the delay. Things were going according to plan except for the waiting for PG&E to do their part which was most of the issue. They stopped because they had to do some upgrade or change in the system. I'm a responder for oil spills and I'm on a ship for three weeks, so I gotta live there and then come back, and then I get three weeks off. So I lose connection and a lot of things felt like they were trying to get that figured out as it went. But they coordinated with my family who's here.

My interactions with Solar Spectrum could have been improved, however, if they had told me the truth. I know it was hard when they got everything done and they were not getting a response from PG&E. It made them look like they were holding back although they were doing their part. It was a hard thing to answer for PG&E. But I was freaking out because there were no calls from Solar Spectrum. I kept calling but it would've been nice if they had updated me and reassured me. But when they were no longer answering, I wanted to default. They dropped the ball and they were not communicating in the end. That almost cost me to call an attorney because I was getting worried that I'm gonna get stuck.

I called the HERO Program and told them I didn't know what was going on. They told me to call Solar Spectrum too and see if they can hold up and make arrangements to change things. HERO was confused too, so they ended up calling and they probed as well. The installation happened only last month or so when I finally got the green on it. Things were running differently than from before when the gentleman was there the last time they were installing. He brought something like a processor and in the end, they replaced it with another one. Going solar is a good thing and I really like Solar Spectrum. I haven't received the bill yet but going solar feels good right now. I feel comfortable with it and I'm hoping to feel like I made the wisest choice.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I wanted to save money and I selected Sungevity based on their customer service rating. The enrollment experience was easy, but the salesperson Alex would call me on different random numbers, which I didn't feel comfortable with. He also wouldn't come out to the house and go over anything. I would've liked to have somebody come out to the house, but he said they don't do that. It's a little quirky how they do business because of all the different numbers and every time you talk to somebody, it's a different company. Still, he was honest about what he said and the contract came up exactly as what he said. He negotiated with me a bit and brought it down to where I could afford, and I was really happy in that respect.

The installation was awesome. They had it done in two days and that gave me enough time to talk to the guys. They answered every question, broke things down, explained to me the details, explained how they were planning on the roof and showed me the glues they were putting on it that will ensure my roof will not leak. They had to make some changes for the engineering plans, but everything worked out fine. They were cordial and on time. I couldn't ask for a better group of people.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

The price of solar energy services was very competitive and we went with Sungevity because they were cheaper. The enrolment process was very easy and everything was done on the computer. When I had to call up for questions, their customer service was very good. When I finally told Sungevity that I would go with them, I was given a timeline and it took a week to get things installed. It was very quick and the technicians did everything they told me they would. They were very efficient and the quote I got was the final cost of the installation. I've only had Sungevity for a month but I'm very pleased with it so far.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Solar Spectrum?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I have a Solar system that was installed in 2017 by Sungevity. I've now been told by my utility that the system is not producing. I receive a bill last month for $417.00. I've emailed and called and have not received a response in two weeks. Left numerous emails and several calls. No response. Very frustrated. I paid $26,000 for this system which was supposed to have a 20 years guarantee.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Scott was great to work with, and the company made everything easy to understand. Scott helped me to feel that this is a great product; however, I can't honestly speak on that because it's still not connected... This is no fault of Scott's, he did his job well. Scott always returned my calls and got back to me in an expedited manner, he's extremely pleasant and easy to speak with. First it was the delay in the installation of the product, now that it's installed, the delay is it's not operable, which is no fault of Scott's. Installation still is complete after some months, but the solar is not operable at this time. Good experience, working with Scott in sales, but there is delay with technical operations part of this experience. Loved the experience with Scott, but the installation portion has left something to be desired. I referred friends and family to speak with Scott, that's how much I enjoyed his personality and his knowledge of the product.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

There was another brand before that I was gonna get, but my roof was in bad shape and they weren't gonna offer to put a roof in my service, so I backed out. Solar Spectrum was able to put a roof on with the panels, and the rep Scott was very helpful. He was very knowledgeable about the products and did a very good job selling it. He took my information and reported it to the appropriate departments. They reached out to me and they came out and scheduled all the site surveys and the inspection. Plus their quote was very accurate. The installation was very good as well. Everybody was clean and very quick. They put the roof up in a day. It was a very good experience.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I had my air conditioner on and it was getting out of control. It was like 300 a month. I looked up online for solar providers. And I was looking at SolarMax, but their reviews were really bad. I had them come out and do a quote, and it was way higher. They wanted to put 22 panels up on the roof, rather than 15 that Solar Spectrum did. They were trying to gouge me. Then I looked at Sunlux. I had them come out, and they also have bad reviews. I didn’t like Sunrun's customer service. When I finally talked to Solar Spectrum, they were honest and upfront with everything. And when you’re like that with me, you’ve got my business.

I put my enrollment with Solar Spectrum online. They called me, and it was really easy. The person I worked with didn’t try to oversell me. He was flat out direct. Solar Spectrum got all their ducks in a row. There was no difference with the quote that they gave me compared to the final cost. It was exact. I’ve talked to Will a few times. He always calls and makes sure that everything’s going well and if everything’s on track. The installation went really quick and very clean. I was impressed by it. I would definitely tell somebody to use Solar Spectrum because of their honesty and how they’re upfront with everything.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

My electricity bill is really high. I did my research, and Solar Spectrum had the best reviews. Working with them went well. It took a while to get the permits, but once that was done, it was installed up quickly and smoothly. Some stuff was done by Solar Spectrum, and some other stuff was done by Horizon. So, sometimes, I would receive an email asking for a payment when the payment was already made. It was confusing. There was a lack of communication between the two different companies. I made a $15,000 payment once, and then I got an email that I hadn’t paid it a week later. But other than that, it was fine and everything went smoothly.

I just noticed it this month for the first time, that my bill was $10. I believe last year around this time my bill would be upwards over $100. I’m concerned because I’m not producing the amount of kilowatts every month that I was supposed to be producing. Maybe ‘cause it’s winter. But I recommend Solar Spectrum. I’ve actually referred them to a couple of my friends.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE - We received an email reply to our concerns but it has been 4 days and still not call back. Your phone numbers just dump into voicemail. We have left numerous messages on your voicemail for several weeks without response. Please have someone contact us immediately to arrange for resolution of this issue. We are unable to view any activity for 2018 or 2019. SDG&E is charging us monthly for electricity used and unable to show that we have produced any credits.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

My system is not generating any power even though it looks like everything is ok. According to my tracking log (and backed up by my energy bills) it has not generated power in months. This is supposed to be a monitored system and I have gotten no communication from Sungevity/Solar Spectrum. I have a yearly energy guarantee and my guess is I am at half of what I should have made this year. My system was put in by Sungevity about 2 years ago. But, the issue is that Solar Spectrum will not return my calls. I sent unanswered emails months ago, and I've been leaving voicemails for over a week with no return calls.

Hi Sean,

I am very sorry to hear that you have had this poor experience. I have sent you an email to try and get a better understanding as to what is going on so that I can help you in any way possible. I look forward to hopefully turning your experience around.

Blake.Hazelrigg@SolarSpectrum.com

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

Our AC bill was way too high and with our durable medical, the PG&E rates were going up too much. My husband did different research, and Sungevity was the one he came up with. We talked with the people at Sungevity on the phone, and they called back a few times to answer more questions. The only glitch we’ve had was whether we needed a new roof or not. That’s one thing that we wish was done a little differently. But now, we’re just waiting for our permit to get the whole process going. We've been waiting for three weeks and Sungevity said that sometimes Hollister takes longer on permits than other cities. We’re hoping it’ll be done by the end of December, so we can put it on our taxes for the current year. The rep from Sungevity just called and asked for a check on the first installment. So, I’m hoping that means it’s gonna be going through soon.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

Electric bills were way too high so I started looking into solar energy service. I went with Sungevity and their process of enrolling was great. The rep whom I talked to was very good and knowledgeable. He knew what he was talking about. He showed me some PowerPoint presentations and made it very clear. He took his time when he was talking to me and he didn’t really pressure me.

Sungevity gave me a very accurate quote and they just took the wheel. They saw what I was using and what I needed. Then they went to the engineers with the layout and asked me if that was all right. Sungevity's customer service team was fairly thorough, and we interacted through multiple emails. As far as installation, they didn’t really promise me anything, but I found the timeline to be slow. I didn’t think it was gonna take as long as it did and I think it was more of National Grid’s fault. Nevertheless, the installation was great and now I'm extremely happy when I look at my electric bill. Last month, my bill was zero dollars.

Resolution response: Nov. 15, 2018

Wrong company! But Blake ** me figure out which company is mine. Great help!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

It took months for me to realize that my solar panels that I leased from Sungevity, not Solar Spectrum, were not working. When the company was just Sungevity, before they declared bankruptcy and I guess bought by Solar Spectrum, I would be notified immediately if there was a problem with my solar panels. But it looks like something happened with my panels in July 2018 and I just noticed this November. Tried to call, tried to email, no one responds. I only got one vague, automated email. I also called every day for a week and NO ONE PICKS UP THE PHONE or returns calls. Not sure if this company is still in business.

My Sungevity customer manual states this: "Sungevity is also monitoring your system. If we see that your system is underperforming or it is turned off for some reason, we will contact you to diagnose and correct the issue and get your system back up to its optimal production." p. 6. This did not happen and when I logging into the system I realized the panels were not registering power collection since July 2018. So I lost hundreds of dollars because my system was not collecting data on how much power I was getting from the sun.

"Performance Guarantee If you are leasing your system, Sungevity has guaranteed that your system will produce a certain amount of power over the course of a year. In order for Sungevity to provide you with your Production Guarantee" p.7. If they never answer the phone or follow up on emails, then how can I get this performance guarantee. At this point, given my experience, I would beware.

Hi Sang,

Thank you for the updated review. I am glad we were able to connect and get this resolved for you! I hope you will keep us in mind for any future solar needs.

BHazelrigg@Sungevity.com

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I was a Sungevity customer and I purchased the system from Sungevity before they went into bankruptcy. I noticed that I have a big bill due in the end of this year so I called Solar Spectrum. Customer services line is too busy to take the call and said to try back later. Call all the number listed on the website. Same thing. Found a sales direct line and called. The rep said he will direct my concerns to another person.

And this is what I got in the email: "Thank you for contacting Customer Service. Our records indicate that you were a customer of Sungevity, Inc. That company was dissolved in a bankruptcy proceeding last year. In that proceeding, the Sungevity brand was purchased and is now being used by a different company than the one you originally did business with. Sungevity’s customers were not a part of that acquisition. You should have received notification of this fact through the bankruptcy some time last year. Unfortunately, this means that there is no longer a company standing behind the warranty and performance guarantee included with your system. If you are having problems with your system, you will need to find a service provider in your area to evaluate and address the issue."

What should we old Sungevity customer do? I have a system sitting there and seems like it's not produce any energy. I have no way to monitor its production. Originally they promise a 20 years warranty so now they change a name and everything just got pushed under the rug. This is unethical business model. We trusted the solar power/green energy will help protect and save the planet but we pay the price.

Hi Kin,

I am sorry to hear about the experience that the Sungevity Inc bankruptcy has caused for you. Please reach out to me using my contact information below and we will work to see what we can do to help improve your experience!

Senior Manager

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

30 years ago, I built a 12,000-watts 10,000-milliamperes 240-volt solar system at my former home in Lockwood, California myself. I’m very familiar with solar. And after the PG&E bill at the current house went from $50 where it wasn’t economical to put in solar to $150, we decided it was time to put solar on it. The prices from solar providers were pretty close to being the same, but Solar Spectrum has the availability to add a battery if I choose to add in the future. Also, this other company said that I have to own the home, but my daughter was the owner. The enrollment process with Solar Spectrum was easy. Two reps came out to the house and I was surprised at how far they came from. They’re getting the permit now and it will be installed by December 1st.

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the 5 star review. Your first system sounds impressive and it is clear you know your stuff! We are very glad you chose us as your solar provider this time around and look forward to help servicing your system for the years to come!

BHazelrigg@Sungevity.com

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I have a Sungevity installed system that came with a warranty. It was working great, but about 10 days ago the meter stopped showing production. I have been trying to speak with Blake, but so far without success. I need my meter to show production to allow me to record the number for my Solar Reusable Energy Credit account. I had good luck with customer service from Sungevity and hope I will get the same from Solar Spectrum.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Energy consumption at home was getting a little bit out of hand so we wanted to go green, being in California, and save money in energy. I did my research. I looked at reviews online and contacted some solar customers before but for some reason, it didn’t work out. But Solar Spectrum had a good customer review so I decided to go to the shop. Enrolling was easy. You just make a call and get the process started, and get some emails going. I was impressed with Matthew's service and the honesty with the price quote and financing, and explaining the terms and conditions and how it works and general customer service. He explained to me exactly how much time it would take and the processing. It all worked out.

The project manager I worked with was great. He kept me updated on the progress of the whole thing because it had several steps: surveying the roof, getting the technical specifications, presenting the whole thing to the city council since Solar Spectrum needed permission, then setting up dates and getting the actual work done. They got the installation done in a day and a half. People came and I didn’t need to be at home. I just interacted with them for half an hour when they came, and then I went off. They replaced two tiles which were broken and installed the number of panels needed. The work was good. And then PG&E inspected after installation just to make sure it ran with the city’s code. All of that worked well and the final cost was the same exact rate as the quote. Going solar was a pretty good decision. I monitor every day so I see that it’s producing energy and I get paid. The whole experience was good.

Hi Mohan,

Thank you for taking some time to share details with us about your experience! We work hard to make the process as easy as possible. There are a lot of moving parts in the construction process and we are ecstatic to hear you tell us it was easy. It also sounds like the installation itself went smoothly! If there are ever any questions that come up, please just let us know!

Blake.Hazelrigg@SolarSpectrum.com

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

Lowering my utility services, as well as energy savings and the environment, led me to look into solar energy services. I had good feedback from some of the people that have Sungevity services, and I did some research, too. Noticed that they were doing a great job, I had the opportunity to talk to them and they provided me with all the services pretty fast, so that was a plus. They also answered all of my questions. Enrollment was pretty fast. I was checking online, then I submitted my request for a contact and they call me two minutes after. So, that same night, I received a lot of information that was gonna be useful more than what I had in the past, from current customers. Then we set up an appointment.

The appointment was performed within 24 hours. They arrived at my residence on time and they answered all of my questions again. They were extremely polite people. Right now, we're just waiting on the permit to somehow go ahead on performing the installation -- that should be done sometime this week. Also, the quote that I was given, it was granted in the contract. For recent people that worked with me, they have their services already stated that they have no issues at all. I'm pretty pleased with what I received. Great customer service and I'm happy. They have been tracking everything, contacting me, providing me with updates. Not many people take time to call you back and ask you for any questions you might have, make sure that everything is taken care of, that if you have any other questions, they'll be there for you. You don’t see that often.

Hi Flor,

Thank you for the awesome review! We sure are happy that you chose us as your solar provider. Please don't hesitate to let us know if there is ever anything we can do on our end to help improve your solar experience.

Blake.Hazelrigg@SolarSpectrum.com

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

In California, I anticipated that the rates for energy are going to go up because of the fire damage in so many homes. So, I decided to look into solar energy services. I went online saw that Sungevity was rated as the best. I went with them and found that their rep, Jacob was fantastic. He had a very soft-style approach that was more about information. I felt very comfortable.

Enrolling with Sungevity was very easy. Some documentation that we had in the computer and then printed made it incredibly easy to sign the initial documents and scan them back to their reps. Thereafter, it was a one day install and everything was up and running in less than a month. Though we're anxious to see how our bill shows up, so far, I'm very satisfied with Sungevity. I'm very happy with how the process went. I had solar installed before at my previous house and it wasn't as easy.

Hi John,

Thank you for the kudos. I will ensure Jacob and his manager are aware of the awesome feedback you provided. If there is ever anything we can do to help out with your solar journey please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

Blake.Hazelrigg@SolarSpectrum.com

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Worst company out there. They don’t tell you that they are directly related to Horizon Solar which has terrible ratings everywhere online. They lie to you over the phone continually. They get the panels on your roof right away so that you can’t back out of your contract. Then if you need any type of electrical work done forget it. They will make appointments and never show up. They continually make promises they don’t keep. This is a long relationship with a company that is unable to manage their independent contractors. If they can’t even do that how are they going to manage your solar energy for the next 20 years??? Do yourself a favor go with a better company. This is truly the worst company I have ever dealt with in my many years of owning a home.

Hi Julie,

We sincerely thank you for bringing your feedback to our attention and are really sorry to read about your experience. Upon reading your review, I reached out to our customer advocacy leadership team to see if there is anything we can do to make your experience more enjoyable and want to let you know someone will be in contact shortly.

Warmest Regards,

Liz D.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I believe that I was subjected to a "bait and switch" scheme. I was sold a 6405-watts replacement photovoltaic system in direct competition with a COSTCO system. I paid to enlarge the system to 6710-watts to meet future needs. I was forced to pay $24,681 for the complete system before Solar Spectrum would put it online. Once online, I discovered that the Solar Edge 5000HT inverter would clip my production at 5000 watts during the peak summer months. I am paying for electric to my utility for the first time in 16 years. I bought the panels. Solar Spectrum seems to only be able to deal with customers who rent the system from them. They have also granted then denied me access to the panel performance data. I believe I own the panels, the warranty and the right to evaluate the performance of each panel.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I wanted to eventually try to swap off of gas entirely so I'm moving my whole house towards electric. Sungevity had a really good website. I'm a web developer so that's something I look at. The reps were pretty attentive and got back to me regularly. It was a pretty good experience. But they could have explained the tax refund more elaborately. I didn’t really understand the process. I had to call them a couple of times and get a manager to really explain it to me. So how the tax rebate work exactly wasn’t very clear.

I knew that I get a percentage back on the cost of solar panel. I assumed that I would have to apply that to my taxes yearly based on my month payment and I’d get a tax return back per year on whatever I paid towards the solar panels that year. But it turns out it’s one large lump sum for the whole cost, and then that’s it. So, that wasn’t really clear to me. One lump sum versus a yearly sum, that wasn’t really explained.

Their quote and the front cost were pretty much the same. The installation went pretty good. The installation team was really cool and nice, and they got their job done. They failed to install several safety measures and they had to come back later to install them. So, that was a little upsetting. But the installer set it up pretty quickly. The UI panel that tell me how much electricity I’m making and it’s pretty cool. I'm enjoying it.

Hi Noah,

We sure appreciate the 4 star review! Sorry we had to make an extra trip to wrap things up. If there is ever anything we can do to help with your solar journey, please just let us know.

Senior Manager

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Our experience with Solar Spectrum has been fine. We had a $400 bill back then and then cut it in half by putting solar in. I deal with Lowe's all of the time and Solar Spectrum was in Lowe's. I trust Lowe's for everything and so I signed up with Solar Spectrum. Lowe's was part of their setup and was sponsoring Solar Spectrum.

People from the Solar Spectrum came to the house. However, it took time when their installers put the panels in and inspected them. Still, they did a great installation and they're probably the best in the neighborhood. There are people that come up to me all the time saying what a great job was done. The quote they gave us was perfect and on target. I needed to get everything done to my satisfaction and everything was done perfectly. The bills also come through fine. In the beginning, they didn’t send out a bill ‘cause they were confused, but I got that straightened out. Overall, I'm happy with Solar Spectrum and 100% satisfied with them. I recommend it to all my neighbors, friends and relatives.

Hi Ron,

Thank you for the wonderful review! We are very glad to hear your are pleased with the overall experience and we love it when our customers get compliments on their systems aesthetics. If you ever have any questions or concerns along your solar journey, please do not hesitate to reach out to us and we will be happy to help in any way that we can!

Blake.Hazelrigg@SolarSpectrum.com

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I was comparing companies and I called Sungevity up. They were the only ones that offered me a great plan to buy solar. Everybody else wanted me to rent and I didn't want that because I wasn’t gonna save any money. Sungevity approved me for $182 a month and they have been very good. At the beginning when I first applied, I talked to their sales representative, Alex, and he was very knowledgeable and great. He was the one that suggested up buying solar.

At one point, I almost canceled with them but Alex got back on and he explained everything very much in detail. He said that come 2019, the government is gonna send me $11,000 check and Sungevity said that I can keep it or I can give it to them. If I keep it, then my payments will go up to 283. I’m gonna give it to them because then I’ll only owe 21 instead of 32. I would just continue to make the payments. He also said that I can sell the racks and I can collect the full amount for that. And for every 1,000 I sell, I get $250 or more depending on what New Jersey is sending up.

That was very pleasing for me because I have a friend that has solar who has had it for years and she's to get $650 for each thousand she sells. Now, its production has dropped down. I also know that the system would make 21,000 for a 15-year contract and I know less and less is going to be produced. But because I’m being reimbursed for the racks that I’m selling, that is paying a lot of it. So I'm not really paying anything and that was what I liked.

Alex was also very upfront. One company called me and said that Sungevity is a very bad company. They said that Sungevity went bankrupt, lots of people lost their money, and this and that. Alex said that they did go bankrupt but another company from California stepped up to the plate. Alex said that he felt that what the other company did was really wrong though and that I'm gonna lose my money if I use them. That bothered me because that is not really good salesmanship by the other company. But Alex was the one that won me and fast. He was absolutely wonderful in explaining everything and I thought I was gonna give it a shot. Hopefully, they stay in business.

Also, I went for the better panel. I’m a big fan of monocrystalline, not polycrystalline, and that was the reason I didn’t put Vivint and all those other ones on because they use all the polycrystalline. They make them overseas so they may get it in bulk for cheap prices and make a lot of money. I did a lot of research for the past five years and now, I’m gonna be an owner and I’m pretty happy about that.

Sungevity's reps have been very courteous, informative, and they have been doing the best they can. But there were cancellations when they were coming out to inspect and the paperwork wasn’t finalized even if they said they did. It’s a game of going back and forth. But I understand these things are gonna happen. I just wish it would have went in time for the next summer. But the problems are coming from within my township and from Atlantic City Electric Company, not Sungevity. I applied for this way back in May and we’re not gonna be finalizing until the end of October. The reason being is I bought the system. So it is really dragging along and I’m very disappointed.

Everything has been installed and Sungevity has to come out again next Wednesday. Their rep, Lisa, has been setting up everything with me when the guys are coming out with the inspections. They have to go to PG&E, the Atlantic City Electric Company, get their approval, and that’d be another two weeks before they’re gonna come out and change the meter. That is terrible and I lost all of the best sunshine that I could’ve ever had.

Despite all that, I would recommend Sungevity. I know many people on the block are gonna wait to see what I do. We’ve got a lot of Vivint here, but they rented. And there is another one out there, SunPower, where a girl rented it for a few panels. Her electric went down to $48 a month but she had a small house. I also like the fact that Sungevity put 28 panels on. They knew I didn’t wanna use that many panels and many people were talking about 42 to 48 but I’m not doing that. If I didn’t put enough panels, that is on me.

Hi Linda,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. This is the type of feedback we strive for day in and day out. If there is ever anything we can do to help with your solar experience, please just let us know!

Senior Manager

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I am writing my review based on my experiences with Solar Spectrum. This is the company that bought Sungevity. The irony is I called them based on their top review rating on this website. Anthony was very informative although he required me to sign an agreement to get the estimate of what it would cost to have solar put on the house. All of this occurred in one phone call. I was impressed with the expedience, but concerned about docusigning the agreement. He said the agreement wasn't valid until the Solar Spectrum people had signed it and sent me a copy with both signatures.

I was also given a Notice of Cancelation, which by law I have 3 days to use. He sent an home inspector out to see if our roof was a viable option for solar within the three days. I canceled the agreement, (which still was not signed by the company) on the third day. I sent this to Anthony. He responded several times afterwards, so I know he received it. 10 days later I get a message from the project manager at Solar Spectrum saying they have submitted my project to the building dept. for a permit! I also get an email from billing to go over how I would be billed for my project. I called the billing dept. and explained that I had canceled this agreement 10 days prior.

Today I get a phone call from the project manager saying I would be billed for the work they had performed after I canceled my agreement. I told him that he had no right to perform this work, due to the fact that the agreement was canceled. He argued with me until I was infuriated! He also told me that I didn't send my Notice of Cancelation to right person...which was the person who request said agreement from me in the first place. I told him that I would seek an attorney if I receive a bill from him. He said to do so and that "we're a big company"! I feel bullied, harassed and threatened by this company. I would advise to stay away from them.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

My electricity bills averaged over $350 a month. I kept thinking about going solar for the longest time and one day online, somebody came out with a thing that said, “The 10 best solar companies in California.” I called number one and that was Solar Spectrum. Everything was A-plus about my experience with them. Enrolling was simple and very easy. They were able to look up my house without even being here using aerial shots like Google Earth and told me what it was gonna take. Then we put a deal together almost immediately and everything was very smooth. The rep I worked with was a wonderful guy and he was very easy to talk to. He seemed to be very interested in my experience and it being a good one. Also, the quote they gave me was almost the same as the final cost.

I have a weird shaped roof and there are places on it that you really couldn’t put solar panels. But they gotta be able to see the sun, or else the system doesn’t work. Solar Spectrum's reps did a good job and when they finished, it didn’t look bad. On the front of my house, you wouldn't think I have solar unless you really start looking. I’m happy with what they did. Their customer service reps call me quarterly as well and everything is working fine. In fact, there is an appointment next Tuesday. It has been a year and somebody is coming out to check and make sure everything is working right. I should’ve gone solar before but technology got better, so I feel like I did the right thing at the right time. I would highly recommend Sungevity too.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

My electric bill went up $400 dollars last month and my electric company told me that my solar panels aren't performing. So I called Solar Spectrum. I called them 4 or 5 times and got an answering machine every single time. I then sent them an email and got an automatic "your request has been received" with a number to call for immediate assistance. I called the number and got a machine twice more. I called the regular number a couple more times too. I'm getting absolutely nothing from them and we had a 20 year maintenance contract when we signed up with Sungevity customer before the bankruptcy. We were assured that the change to Solar Spectrum wouldn't interrupt anything. Clearly they lied.

Hi Francesgrace,

I can definitely understand that a $400 increase in electric bill would catch you off guard. I took a look into your systems production and found that it has been consistently producing and meeting our estimates. I am guessing that the increase in billing is due to higher usage in the summer months (AC unit?). I am going to send you a direct email so we can review this and I can address any other questions or concerns you may have.

Blake.Hazelrigg@SolarSpectrum.com

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I recently noticed their online production monitoring isn't being updated so I first sent an email and then I've left a voice message. I've waited days with no response from either one and so I tried calling back and selecting the option that I was interested in purchasing. I waited awhile and then the recording stated they couldn't take my call and to leave a message. So now what do I do? My first company Sungevity went bankrupt and now I'm wondering if this one has too? I've searched the web and this site is the only place where I've found out anything and it seems others are having this same type of problem but no one yet seems to know what the problem is at this company in terms of not communicating with its customers.

Hi Phil,

I am sorry to hear that you had trouble getting through to our customer service team! I just looked into your systems performance and found it is doing very well and it looks like we have granted you access to our monitoring portal. I just sent you an email directly as I want to ensure all of your needs and questions are addressed.

Solar Spectrum expert review by Zachary Shahan

One of the first solar installers to offer solar leasing, this company designs and installs solar systems for homes in California, Colorado, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York and Rhode Island. It has merged with Horizon Solar Power to become the fourth largest solar system provider.

• Remote Solar Design: Solar Spectrum uses a proprietary remote design technology to virtually look at your home and provide a quote without actually inspecting your roof. Consultation follows over the phone or online.

• Installation: Solar Spectrum takes care of the planning, paperwork, installation, arrangement for applicable rebates and other processes that may be needed. Monitoring: The company provides a mobile app that tracks solar production of your system anytime from anywhere.

• Pricing: For a 6.5-kilowatt system acquired on credit, average lease payment starts at $65–$155/month with a yearly increase of 0-2.9 percent for 20 years. But much depends on the size of the building to be energized, roof situation, electricity consumption, location and weather conditions. Solar systems are available via purchase, lease or PPA.

• Solar plans: The plans are a 20-year commitment with locked-in rates. When your leasing plan ends, you can either renew it or have the solar system removed.

• Warranty: Solar Spectrum provides a 25-year warranty on the panels and a 10-year warranty on the inverter.

Profile picture of Zachary Shahan
Zachary Shahan Solar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.

Solar Spectrum Company Information