2.73/5
  • 1 star
Based on 11 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a solar energy company?

This company is out of businessFIND OTHER COMPANIES

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Oct. 8, 2017

11 Sungevity Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

Complaint Subject: Solar Spectrum (Previous name Sungevity) contractor damaged central AC in my attic causing it to malfunction and resulting water leakage damaged my ceiling. I signed contract with Solar Spectrum on 7/24/2017. Their Salesperson Richard ** was convincing enough that I selected them as my installer. Around beginning the of the September Solar Spectrum installer did first part of the installation (I believe around 1st of Sept. 2017). They installed parts which hold the panels on the roof.

After 2 days of the install my daughter noticed patches of water on her bedroom ceiling. Last 14 years I am leaving here and I never had any leakage issue. I built this house and I am the first owner of the house. When I climbed up into the attic to check (I hardly go into the attic, last time I had gone there was 3 months ago to replace the AC filter) I found that there was puddle of water in the pan to hold moisture from AC and it was overflowing. Again, in my experience I have never seen that any water in that pan. I had to stop the AC in the hot weather in order to stop the overflow. I called project Manager Stephen ** assigned to me from Solar Spectrum and reported it right after Memorial Day. He arranged solar installer Skyline Solar to come to my house to inspect on the Sept 8th. After a quick inspection the installer told that it was not their mistake which has caused the issue.

On the same day I arranged a reputed appliance maintenance provider NJR come and inspect the AC. NJR came to the conclusion that the likely cause of the leakage is someone stepping on the AC coil, causing it to bend and malfunction. They put that into the report which I sent to Solar spectrum Project Manager along with pictures NJR took.

There started my bad customer service experience with Solar Spectrum. Solar spectrum project manager wouldn’t return my calls or always delayed answering my e-mails. In the meantime I could not use the AC in the hot September month and my daughter has to move out of her room because of the dampness caused by the leakage. I also requested salesperson for assistance and he involved a Sr manager Blake at Solar Spectrum. Only after that and many exchanges over the phone and e-mail Solar Spectrum arranged their installer Skyline Solar came back and inspect the issue with help from their AC contractor.

This contractor was hired by Skyline and immediately he gave a report saying that it was pre-existing condition. During that visit the Skyline Manager rudely argued with my wife stating that we are trying to make up this thing and trying to blame it on them. Now Solar spectrum is telling me that the issue happened due to pre-existing conditions and I need to take care $750 estimate for the AC repair plus damage to my ceiling. When I started this process I was very excited about getting Solar power but this experience has left a bitter taste in my mouth. This AC issue and damage to my ceiling is caused by Solar spectrum negligence.

On top of that Solar spectrum has been providing me very bad customer service. Right now my installation is at a standstill with my roof which has the unfinished installation which could cause roof leakage. Solar Spectrum needs to fix AC and damaged ceiling. This happened because of negligence of Solar spectrum installer. Any help in resolving this issue is very much appreciated. Thanks.

Original review: April 4, 2017

I purchased my home in July 2016, the previous owner was 1.5 years into a 25-year lease with Sungevity. We took over the lease with the home purchase. I was left no information on the system, no manuals, no contract and no verbal instructions. We had a problem the day we moved in. I called Sungevity but only received voice mail. I left a message stating that I needed immediate help. I called a few times over the week but never received a single return call. Sungevity contacted me a week later to set up a payment system at which time I requested to have someone come and explain the system and a copy of the manual. I finally received a manual 9 months later but no system overview.

Just recently the system went down, it was down for two days when I noticed, this is a monitored system, though I never received a call letting me know it was down. I called asking for help only to get a voicemail stating all service request must be done by email and to allow 2 days for a response. It took 24 hours to get a response and 5 days to get a repair. After the repair, I sent 4 different emails asking why I was not notified with no reply ever. I called Sungevity asking the same question and was told that I would be contacted in a few minutes. To this day I have received no return call. I have never known worse service from any company. I regret the day I assumed the lease with this company and would remove all solar equipment if possible.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Aug. 26, 2016

Had Sungevity install solar panels on my roof in the summertime. My cost included a $1,000 engineering fee. They installed the panels and they worked fine until winter when the sun was at a different angle relative to summer. An existing tree cast a shadow on the roof and over the solar panels. Electricity output dropped off drastically. Several calls to Sungevity failed to have them solve my problem of a system now working half the year.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

At first we Had a difficult time getting address straight, but eventually we were able to get it worked out. The customer service representative I had to contact was very helpful and was able to resolve the issue quickly. We were offered financing, but my rating is only based on the fact that it was offered, as we paid outright. It did appear that there were some attractive financing options, however, had we decided to go that route. We have always been extremely satisfied that we decided to spend the extra money. It is especially reassuring when you have a satisfactory experience with customer service early into the experience (small issue, quickly resolved). I didn't even have to be home, which was very convenient as I would have had to miss work/come in late/leave early and throw off my entire schedule. They were more than happy to work with me.

Original review: June 16, 2016

Really wish I went with another company. My system was initially installed in Feb of 2015 (I live in MA). The company Sungevity had install my system - used salt either on the roof to melt ice or in the area where they had their ladders. Either way my entire pressed concrete patio had to be demolished and replaced, the salt ate right through it. After 6 months of arguing Sungevity finally accepted fault and paid to have my patio replaced, leaving me to enjoy a summer of concrete slivers. Too little too late.

After that I waited until about 10 months after my system had been installed for it to be turned on. This took so long because they initially jacked up my paperwork that was turned into National Grid. (No excuse). Finally my system got the OK and now I have an error with the panels and they will not produce electricity. I have contacted Sungevity, and 2 months later am still waiting for a technician - all the while being billed automatically. It's almost a full year now and not a Kw produced. Go elsewhere.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sungevity?

Original review: Jan. 5, 2016

We signed up with Sungevity in May 2015. Installation took much longer than promised. Installation caused 2 leaks -- one in the attic, one in the basement. They fixed those, but after that, system has issues and support will NOT help. They NEVER return phone calls, they NEVER return emails. I've called there so many times that they literally blocked my home number and cell number from getting through to their phones. I even contacted the founders of the company who answered me once, and then never helped again. Horrible communication skills, rude, non-existent customer service... No thank you Sungevity. Right now we have sought the help of NJ Dept of Consumer Protection.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2015

Great product. Never had any issues. Being able to have power from the sun rather than from the electric company is a financial report and make me feel like a responsible inhabitant of the planet.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2015

It is a good company to be with. I would highly recommend it to the most popular people out there.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2015

Since I live in Phoenix, there is plenty of sun to go around. So why not go solar. Sure it's an investment, but you more than make up for it during the long summers out here. My electricity bill used to be $500 per month during the months of May thru October. It didn't take long for me to see a profit. I am more than happy that I chose to go a solar.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2015

With no knowledge at the beginning about this product after installation they were explaining to me how works and how beneficial it is to the environment. So before they left I knew enough information to build one on my own pretty much. They were fast, polite.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2015

The purchase of my solar energy product was easy through financing and installation was very professional. After service was very helpful. I would purchase again and would recommend to my friends and family.

Sungevity expert review by Zachary Shahan

Sungevity was one of the first solar installers to offer solar leasing, but it is not tied to that financing model. It uses a unique, efficient, satellite-based system for providing customers with an initial solar quote.

• iQuote: Sungevity’s iQuote system is a very efficient, satellite-based system for providing customers with a solar system quote without having to visit their property.

• Financing options: Sungevity was a solar leasing pioneer, but it is reportedly agnostic when it comes to leasing versus loan or cash options.

• Dedicated project manager: Sungevity provides you with a dedicated project manager so you don’t have to go through automated customer support.

• Service: Sungevity offers service to seven states in the U.S. in addition to providing service in Australia and the Netherlands.

• Manufactures: Sungevity doesn’t have a manufacturing arm, so it is subject to changes and potential lack-of-supply in the solar panel manufacturing market.

• Best for: homeowners, small and large businesses, government agencies and nonprofits, leasing and PPA customers, solar beginners and cash and loan consumers.

Profile picture of Zachary Shahan
    Zachary Shahan

Solar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.

Sungevity Company Information

66 Franklin Street, Suite 310
    Oakland
    www.sungevity.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use