Sungevity

Compare Solar Energy Companies

Research top Solar Energy Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Had Sungevity install solar panels on my roof in the summertime. My cost included a $1,000 engineering fee. They installed the panels and they worked fine until winter when the sun was at a different angle relative to summer. An existing tree cast a shadow on the roof and over the solar panels. Electricity output dropped off drastically. Several calls to Sungevity failed to have them solve my problem of a system now working half the year.

At first we Had a difficult time getting address straight, but eventually we were able to get it worked out. The customer service representative I had to contact was very helpful and was able to resolve the issue quickly. We were offered financing, but my rating is only based on the fact that it was offered, as we paid outright. It did appear that there were some attractive financing options, however, had we decided to go that route. We have always been extremely satisfied that we decided to spend the extra money. It is especially reassuring when you have a satisfactory experience with customer service early into the experience (small issue, quickly resolved). I didn't even have to be home, which was very convenient as I would have had to miss work/come in late/leave early and throw off my entire schedule. They were more than happy to work with me.

Really wish I went with another company. My system was initially installed in Feb of 2015 (I live in MA). The company Sungevity had install my system - used salt either on the roof to melt ice or in the area where they had their ladders. Either way my entire pressed concrete patio had to be demolished and replaced, the salt ate right through it. After 6 months of arguing Sungevity finally accepted fault and paid to have my patio replaced, leaving me to enjoy a summer of concrete slivers. Too little too late.

After that I waited until about 10 months after my system had been installed for it to be turned on. This took so long because they initially jacked up my paperwork that was turned into National Grid. (No excuse). Finally my system got the OK and now I have an error with the panels and they will not produce electricity. I have contacted Sungevity, and 2 months later am still waiting for a technician - all the while being billed automatically. It's almost a full year now and not a Kw produced. Go elsewhere.

We signed up with Sungevity in May 2015. Installation took much longer than promised. Installation caused 2 leaks -- one in the attic, one in the basement. They fixed those, but after that, system has issues and support will NOT help. They NEVER return phone calls, they NEVER return emails. I've called there so many times that they literally blocked my home number and cell number from getting through to their phones. I even contacted the founders of the company who answered me once, and then never helped again. Horrible communication skills, rude, non-existent customer service... No thank you Sungevity. Right now we have sought the help of NJ Dept of Consumer Protection.

Great product. Never had any issues. Being able to have power from the sun rather than from the electric company is a financial report and make me feel like a responsible inhabitant of the planet.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sungevity?

It is a good company to be with. I would highly recommend it to the most popular people out there.

Since I live in Phoenix, there is plenty of sun to go around. So why not go solar. Sure it's an investment, but you more than make up for it during the long summers out here. My electricity bill used to be $500 per month during the months of May thru October. It didn't take long for me to see a profit. I am more than happy that I chose to go a solar.

With no knowledge at the beginning about this product after installation they were explaining to me how works and how beneficial it is to the environment. So before they left I knew enough information to build one on my own pretty much. They were fast, polite.

The purchase of my solar energy product was easy through financing and installation was very professional. After service was very helpful. I would purchase again and would recommend to my friends and family.

Expert Review

Zachary ShahanSolar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.    More about Zachary→

Sungevity was one of the first solar installers to offer solar leasing, but it is not tied to that financing model. It uses a unique, efficient, satellite-based system for providing customers with an initial solar quote.

• iQuote: Sungevity’s iQuote system is a very efficient, satellite-based system for providing customers with a solar system quote without having to visit their property.
  • Financing options: Sungevity was a solar leasing pioneer, but it is reportedly agnostic when it comes to leasing versus loan or cash options.
  • Dedicated project manager: Sungevity provides you with a dedicated project manager so you don’t have to go through automated customer support.
  • Service: Sungevity offers service to seven states in the U.S. in addition to providing service in Australia and the Netherlands.
  • Manufactures: Sungevity doesn’t have a manufacturing arm, so it is subject to changes and potential lack-of-supply in the solar panel manufacturing market.
  • Best for Homeowners, small & large businesses, government agencies & nonprofits, leasing & PPA customers, solar beginners, cash & loan consumers

Compare Solar Energy Companies