1.24/5

Looking for a solar energy company?

SolarCity

Since 2006, SolarCity has strived to be the national leader in clean energy services and has become America’s largest solar provider. We specialize in residential and commercial solar systems. We provide energy at a lower cost than paying for energy generated by burning coal, oil and natural gas.

Our mission is to see millions adopt clean energy services, which in the long run will save them from rising electricity costs. We will work with you through the entire process and will provide ongoing monitoring and repair services. Call today for more information!

View More View More

533 SolarCity Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

My husband and I had solar panels put on our home roughly 5 yrs. ago. We were very direct and stated that within the next few years we would need to have the roof replaced, and the sales representative advised that there would be no problems or cost to have the panels temporarily taken off and then placed back on. Fast forward to now and we are being told it is $1000 for this to happen. We have both made multiple calls to the customer service department who insists that a manager will call us back, and there has been no callback. We received one very condescending email and that was it.

The last rep went as far to tell us when they merged with Tesla they were aware of salespersons giving false information to get the contract signed hence why they changed their sales techniques. I am beyond frustrated! They will not take the panels off the roof, they cannot give me any kind of straight answer or even attempt to work with me on the lie my husband and I were told.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

In the last week, If I could give a lower rating I would. This company is horrible. My solar system was installed three years ago. During these three years, I have had nothing but problems. The first three months my system did not work at all. After at least 10 technicians coming out at different times to repair the problem, it was decided that at least 20 panels would have to be replaced. When the technicians came out to replace the panels, they destroyed my gutters. Finally the system worked. Now a year and a half after the new panels were installed, the system is not working again.

During these three years, my husband and I have called SolarCity hundreds of times. You never speak to the same person twice and nobody has any idea of what they are doing. You cannot speak to a manager because they are not at "liberty" to connect you. I was also told that after two years I would be reimbursed for the months my system did not work. When I called regarding my reimbursement, I was told I was owed $3.64. Really? How is that even possible? The system did not work for months. While I believe solar is a great idea, I would never recommend this company. In fact if anyone asked me about Solar City, I would tell them to run in the opposite direction as fast as you can.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

Just as mentioned previously in July by another customer, I was promised my bill to be cut in half. NOT TRUE. I am paying the same as before AND I am paying Southern CA Edison a monthly fee as well because if not I will end up like last year paying a one time payment of $1,500. I contacted SolarCity and they informed me that I would need more panels however, this can't be done on my house because of the roof slants. They basically apologized and offered me no solution. I am stuck with them now and paying more than I did before. Shame on you for taking advantage of the people and then leaving them in a rut.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

I had a fire on my roof due to defective equipment SolarCity used and now have been completely ignored by the company. The company has shown absolutely no care for the pain and suffering they caused. HORRIBLE customer service.

Resolution response: Sept. 9, 2017

Thanks Consumer Affairs. Solar City process the refund once the review was posted.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

SolarCity is the worse company I ever work with. I choose SolarCity after getting bids from few other companies for a solar system at my home. Contract was signed on July 10, 2017. I was told again and again that if my house need any modification, my initial deposit of $500 will be refunded. System design team send me the email on July 21, 2017 that my house need $4700 upgrade on my roof. They were asking to replacement of the portion of ceramic tile roof with composite shingle roof. They were willing to pitch in $1300 on my behalf. I told them that, I will not like 2 types of roof on my house, and my ceramic tile roof is only 10 years old and is in a great shape. They did not agree and I canceled the contract on August 1, 2017, since it will be 30% price overrun and will having 2 types of roof.

I contacted the companies who also make the bid and ask them to check the roof before I sign the contract. Both the companies inspected the roof and found it in an excellent condition for solar panels. I keep contacting the SolarCity and salesperson by phone and email and asking for my refund. They never bother to return my call. I already selected another company, their engineers approved the site and design. My biggest mistake was I go for brand name TESLA. Tesla is a good company but SolarCity is not worth dealing with. Avoid it at all cost.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SolarCity?

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

The initial customer service with SolarCity was great and the sales side was smooth up until the system was designed and ready to be installed. We were moving forward with the purchase of the system and would later come to find out that somewhere without our authorization we had signed up for a lease agreement. Never once was that even mentioned to us throughout the entire process except on the final contract which we unfortunately signed out of trust. Shame on SolarCity and its employees for using these types of tactics to push deals through the pipeline.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

We signed our contract in April 2015. We FINALLY got our system installed in July 2016. It is now August 2017 and we still have not received our rebate!!!! I have spoken to numerous people at SolarCity and after many promises ---- DON'T TRUST THEM!!!!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

I took over a payment purchase plan in November of 2016. It's now August 2017 and I have YET to be able to log into my online billing and see my bills. I have YET to resolve a billing issue that continues to get ignored by customer service. They provide an incorrect response, then stop responding completely to any emails or new requests. Since I could not log into my online account, and since I never received a paper bill, I called in December/January customer service to put a credit on my account to cover the 3+ months of back bills (I never received) and future bills to give them time to "fix my account". I didn't start receiving paper bills until MAY and within the May bill, it was clear I was being charged a $7.50 a month FEE for having A CREDIT ON MY ACCOUNT.

Customer service confirmed, at the beginning of June that the fee only started in May, and it had not been charged during the Nov-Apr months. This was fine. Even though I disagree with having to pay 2 ACH fees (I can understand the first fee since I used a credit card to put a credit on my account EVEN THOUGH THE REP NEVER TOLD ME I WOULD BE CHARGED, I noticed they did mention it in my contract). While on the call in June, I said I would ignore the second fee, and I put an auto-ACH on my account to prevent their screw ups again. I was then charged ANOTHER non-ACH fee at the beginning of July, which is when I emailed in and explained this needed to be refunded. I have now received 2 email replies to FIVE emails to customer service. Within those emails they claimed the auto-ACH wasn't added until July, even though I called in June.

I have now sent over 8 emails and the issue is still pending. I have yet to receive a reply to the last 3 emails I have sent. They are charging customers $7.50 a month TO DEBIT CREDITS THAT ARE ON THE ACCOUNT and trying to just it by saying it's a non-ACH transaction! It's not even a transaction! There is no payment processing being done.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

Bad experience with SolarCity. I had a sales person come and go over everything and then I had my site survey. Never heard anything after and tried contacting SolarCity. I was told I need to upload a copy of my recent bill. This is after not hearing anything for 2 months, I was also told someone will contact me 2 weeks later. No call or email. Just a waste of time and now a hard inquiry on my credit report that will last 2 years for no service.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

If you are on a fixed income and pay little or no income tax, be aware that the tax credit incentives SolarCity promises may not apply in your situation. However even if you are not eligible for it do not receive a tax credit/tax refund for your SolarCity install. This company will want their "share" anyway, even if you are billed for it.

We found this out recently as for over two years we have tried to explain to SolarCity this anomaly in the tax process because my husband is a disabled vet and I am on SSDI so we do not pay income taxes as we did when we worked. Nonetheless we have been harassed, called multiple times, emailed, and when we signed up for auto pay to keep from paying an extra $15 a month processing fee, SolarCity pulled $1,000 from our checking account with no warning. Be very careful with these people. They are impossible to deal with, especially after being bought by Tesla, whose shareholders by the way are suing for misrepresentation.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

Roshica! This is really amusing! You submitted a layout to me that is false as I am sure you would be submitting the same layout to the Town of Smithtown to place additional solar panels on my roof where there is not sufficient space. You refuse to allow me to meet with someone at my home so they can demonstrate where they could place additional panels. I certainly cannot enter into a settlement that I know you cannot honor because of the false documents you have submitted to me.

Please advise your upper management of the REAL situation and the reason I cannot enter into an agreement that is impossible to install additional panels on my home. On Monday, August 14, 2017 I will forward all your documents including the falsified roof plan to the New York State Attorney General who has been contacting me weekly seeking a status of the case. Obviously only legal action from New York State will get this matter resolved.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

Last summer 2016 we had solar panels installed and a free roof put on. The roofers were good about cleaning up the outside, but left a mess in our attic and broke the window without telling us. We are older and rarely go into the attic, but couldn't believe the wood and mess they left. They installed the solar panels with no issues but our sales representative failed to tell us that there would be a problem with snow and ice sliding off of our roof on both sides into our neighbor's driveway and ours. Our cars were damaged from the falling ice and snow in which our homeowners would not cover.

Our neighbor was very upset as she is elderly with the chunks of snow and ice falling into her driveway. We had never had this problem with falling ice and snow in our driveway before. They also failed to tell us that our sales rep no longer worked for Solar City as we were trying to get in touch with him. Finally got in touch with someone from Solar City and asked us to send pictures as we had taken some this winter. That was two months ago and no one has contacted us. It is very frustrating and winter will be here soon.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

I called Solar City today to inquire about getting solar panels installed. The person who answered the call took all my information and even looked up my house on Google Earth. She asked if Solar City could call me for promotional purposes and I said no. She told me if I did not agree to be called for promotional purposes she could not connect me to a salesperson. I wonder if I have to agree to that to test drive a Tesla as well. I have never heard of a business that will not talk to you about their product or services without agreeing to have them call you for promotional services.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

So I paid Solar City 374.00 this month and then my lower electric bill of 105.00... I was so lied to. Yes my "electric bill" is lower but Solar City fails to say much on what you are going to be paying them. I have NEVER paid 479.00 for one month of electricity... BEWARE PEOPLE.

SolarCity response

Hello Colleen,

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We are deeply sorry that you feel lied to. The type of contract you signed up for is a Power Purchase Agreement, which means that your bill will fluctuate from month to month depending on the amount of power the system generates. Given that you live in Texas, your bill will be higher in the summer and lower in wintertime. Overall, your production from solar will offset enough energy to provide you average yearly savings. If you feel that this is not the case after one year, we'd be happy to conduct a thorough savings analysis in November. You can reach us at 888-765-2489 if you have any further concerns.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

The salesman came to my house and said, "Your electric bill will cut in half." I signed up and now my bill is triple. Please my hardworking home owner stay away from solar energy or you will be paying their salary for 20 years. Solar City is nothing but SCAM and ripped off company. I'm going to a start a petition online to bring a class action lawsuit against Solar City next month. Please contact your local media and tell them to broadcast on the air. I'm talking to a journalist on Fox25 regarding them now. My bill is triple with them. I provide them my old National Grid bills to their representative and she saw it and admit that Solar City bill is too high. She mentioned you should have stay with the Grid instead. I have on tape.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

Solar City installed solar panels on our roof in November, 2016, and we have yet to save any money. We signed the twenty-year contract which is a big mistake. If you are considering this company, check into articles stating that they are being investigated by Congress, Senate, and treasury department. I was told by Solar City that what the salesperson told me was considered private communication. The salesperson assured us that along with the $150.00 payment to Solar City our payment to our electric company would not exceed $12.00 per month. This was a total misrepresentation. Please read the contract carefully before you sign.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I am very dissatisfied with Solar City as they are still not hooking me up and it will be 1 year since I talked to the salesman and signed up. Still having same old story working on finance. After it was installed in May. 2017 and we started in Oct. 2016. Now is the first of Aug. with no hookup yet.

Original review: July 24, 2017

If you are considering getting a system from SolarCity ask them one question and get it in writing: "When this is done what percentage of energy usage will my system be generating?" In my case I am now told just %30. I have read many reviews, and talked to a notary who came out refi my house a week ago, and the unanimous report I get is that SolarCity intentionally misleads you to think that you are going to save on your bill to your local electric but in my case, I just determined that I am still being billed $200 a month by Southern California Edison. For me, I read the reviews, and thought, well, it couldn't happen to me. I can tell you I even have emails where I warned the salesman and systems designers not to play me or they could come get their panels.

Well now that it's too late, I am screwed so far 3 months into the tune of $600 to SCE plus paying Solar City 50 a month. In other words, my bill before the panels is the same as after. 0 savings when you combine the two together. Customer service, as many have reported, are completely disinterested in helping you. I put my "Customer Care" person on Facebook Live and am hoping it goes viral so everyone can see how little they actually do care. She kept making condescending rude dismissive noises and even after I asked her to stop she kept on doing it anyway. It took a week for them to call me back, and then she wouldn't even let me talk to a supervisor. This company needs to be investigated FTC. Too many similar experiences say to me these guys are into predatory and false business behaviors.

UPDATED ON 08/19/2017: After talking for the last month and attempting to get a resolution on my situation SolarCity (Michael) now admits they made too small of a system and should not have based it off of one month in December. They admit I was promised 85% production but am in fact getting only 30% due to their error. They offered to give me a 250.00 refund to the 1000 and growing balance I owe SCE and offered a discount on an additional system to lower my rates.

This system will not be installed for a year in order give them sufficient data to design the system (which they should have done in the first place). Then, they tried to tell me that I should be grateful as I am still getting a $50 a month decrease as it is now. When I reminded him that I pay them $62 a month for the system already, and so I actually am getting literally 0 savings he didn't have much to say except that this was a "take it or leave it offer" from the "executive committee."

I did counter I wanted at least 500 cash and a guarantee that I pay no more than $70 a month for the new system and mentioned that I have been looking in to joining class action lawsuits that are out there against this company for a variety of fraudulent business practices. He seemed to imply they might go for it as he did say if I agree to this I won't pursue anything further, but I hung up on him and said let me know. I am in contact with several attorneys at this time. The nerve. He reminded me I have a lien against my house for the panels and if I remove them or damage I will be held liable (while they continue to provide 0 saving for the next year while I pay them & the electric company). If they come to your door, slam it in their face.

Original review: July 22, 2017

Terrible experience. Was told my electric bills would be approx $21 a month... This month's Bill was $110.00 And my SOLAR Bill is also $110.00 a month. I live in Arizona... more specifically in the Valley of the Sun. Constant sunshine. Terribly disappointed. Can't wait till my lease is over. Paid less before I had the panels put on my house. Customer service is terrible and my sales rep is MIA.

Original review: July 20, 2017

We have had SolarCity for a few years. When we sat down with the salesperson we made sure to ask 2 questions. The first is how much we would save? The second question was, what if we move and what's the cost? The sales rep said we would save 25% off of our current PGE bill. In reality we have seen about a 10% savings so far. His response to the transfer was full of it. He said that we could transfer the lease or we could take the solar with us. Even showed us on the contract where it says we can take it with us as long as the utilities at the new place were compatible. The warranty would be the same and we would have to pay the lease for the 2-6 months while they were waiting to install at the new place.

We decided to sell our house and buy a new one. We called SolarCity to start the transfer and everything was fine. We were informed of the $499 fee and the fee for new install of $499. We're good. Then I get a call saying they cannot transfer the system because they cannot take all the panels. I would be charged $24,000 since the buyer of our house didn't want solar. I call up SolarCity and talk to Tawnia in the Transfer department and she gave me a list of conditions that are nowhere to be found in the contract. Her exact words, and SolarCity can pull up the conversation because they record everything, she said, "Well they aren't going to list everything in the agreement."

Now I asked her where did I approve to have 34 panels on my house when my wife and I do not use that much electricity? She said we should have said something when we saw it completed. I told her I did and the techs said they installed a larger system in case we wanted to build a pool or expand or use more energy. 34 panels for a 1600 sq ft house with 8 foot ceilings. A house where my wife and I are home from 6 pm until 6 am. Come to find out that techs and installers were being paid by the amount of panels they put in. So long story short, she couldn't find anywhere where I agreed to this many panels or where it said I had to take all the panels. I'm awaiting for a call for the 4th time today from a manager as my situation is being escalated... again.

We close on both homes on the 28th of July. Because of SolarCity I am about to lose thousands in costs of buying and selling a home and if they do not remove these panels I will lose the buyer of my current home and will have to back out of purchasing my new home all because of their shady tactics. If you are considering purchasing Solar, please learn from my mistake and do not use SolarCity under any circumstances. Attached is a picture of the contract that talks about transferring. Section 12 a ii.

Original review: July 6, 2017

Well I signed a lease with SolarCity last year in June of 2016. I just sold my house and got a bill from SCE for over 1200.00 dollars. So I called SolarCity and they said my design was set for 6 panels and so that it is only running 31% solar energy not at 100%. What I didn't know my house was supposed to have 21 panels installed to run at 100%. So over the course of a year the rest of my energy was being pulled from SCE. Which is why I have a huge bill to pay.

So I asked SolarCity why would I sign a contract with only 31% solar energy being used?? So the CSR stated, "Well you signed it for 6 panels" and I told her, "Why would I do that??" So I was misrepresented during this whole lease agreement thinking I was at 100% but was getting 31% solar energy. Total ** and I'll never recommend this company to anyone. DON'T SIGN A CONTRACT WITH THEM!! TOTAL FRAUD!!! SIGNED FROM TOTALLY PISSED OFF CUSTOMER!! They don't care how they get their commission!!!

Original review: June 28, 2017

SolarCity installed my system on Jan 27. I came home that day and my power was cut. It was extremely cold that night and we went for an entire day without power. It is now June 28 and the system is still not connected to the grid. I finally went to the county to check on the permits myself and ask that they re-submit the permits to PNM. I called PNM myself to get the installation of the meter scheduled. I have called and complained and nobody at SolarCity wanted to do anything about this. I called on June 21 and asked to have a supervisor call me back but I still have not heard from anyone. SolarCity has a concierge team that really does nothing but call you and read the status of the file back to you. They are useless and I would not recommend this company to anyone. Who knows if the system will even work if it ever gets connected to PNM.

Original review: June 26, 2017

I signed a lease agreement with SolarCity to install a solar system on my home. We sold our home a year later and I was told that I could have the panels relocated to the home we would be purchasing for a "nominal" fee. During our search for a home we carefully chose a house that had excellent solar exposure and no trees to that would interfere with the panels. When I contacted SolarCity to try to come and inspect the house I could never get a commitment from SolarCity to conduct an inspection. No one ever came out to inspect the home, but instead I got a call informing me that the panels could not be transferred and that I was have to pay $38,000 to buy out my lease and return the panels to SolarCity.

After several frustrating phone calls I was finally told that the reason I could not relocate the panels was because the roof of the new house was not big enough to accept all of the panels. There is no mention anywhere in the contract that I signed that indicated that all of the panels had to be transferred. This appears to be a predatory practice to rip off the consumer.

Original review: June 24, 2017

We put solar panels on our home in 2012. The papers work we signed was a pre-purchased power agreement. At the time we were told our contract was a lease and we had a different agreement exhibit from the regular PPA that was provided to us. The difference in the two was that a standard pap had a settle up amount and ours gave us over production of power at no cost. We enjoyed over production of power from 2012 until now and SolarCity has decided that the exhibit amendment no longer applies and we now owe them money for over production of power.

We would never have agreed to put solar on our house if we were going to have to pay beyond the prepaid production amount. I feel like we are held hostage by this corrupt company. Their customer service representative sent me a copy another person’s contract. Our original contract was sent in a binder with the amendments showing exhibit for the lease clearly stating over production was ours to keep for free, but the company is now saying that we got that as a mistake. We never would have prepaid for power if there was going to be ongoing costs.

I’d not recommend this company to anyone. The company also tried to have us pay for the Oregon tax credit saying we never paid it despite providing copies of the paid amount. We were called weekly for over three months. I sent them multiple copies of the paid receipts, up they kept telling me I owed them $2975. It wasn't until I filed a complaint through the Oregon attorney general’s office did they finally stop harassing us insisting we needed to pay for the RETC again. But now they have come up with this new way to extort money from us. They say our agreement isn't a PPA lease, but rather one that requires we pay for over production of power. If I could go back I would never do business with SolarCity. The company is unethical and picks and chooses what paperwork they want to honor.

Original review: June 22, 2017

Got installed about 4 years ago. First the positives: Didn't cost us a thing for the product or installation and every month is roughly $20-$30 a month in savings. The negatives: When the salesman 'sold' us on this product we were promised huge savings. We had $300-$400 AC bills a month every summer. We were 'guaranteed' those would go down to about $50 a month. I confirmed this 2 to 3 times. The first summer was about $30 a month SAVINGS not BILLS. When I called to complain/find out why had to leave messages - customer service didn't know how to help and wouldn't answer my questions.

No one ever called me back. No one ever explained why others that are leasing their solar panels have $20 to $30 bills during the summer (for everything - electricity & solar bill) and why ours has been barely a savings. I called so many times with no response - I just gave up. After all it didn't cost us anything and it was saving a little. But nothing like what we were promised. So to anyone who has been told similar lies - listen up - they are lies.

Original review: June 21, 2017

I have had these solar panels since 2011. It's the worst experience I have ever had in my life. I live in southern Arizona and I cannot run my air conditioning during the hours of 12-7 because those are my savings hours with the local power company APS. So from 12-7, my a/c is off. My electric bill this month is 152.00 and a 193 lease with Solar City and this comes out to 345. I was set up with a 74% offset and when we did our paperwork with Amy originally we were never given an option to offset 100% of the energy that we use. If we had that option obviously that is what we would have done. I have seen no savings on our end whatsoever. After the 20 years, my lease will almost be 400 a month and that isn't including what I pay APS. So by the end of my lease, I will be extra screwed. I will be paying through the nose by the end of our lease.

Solar City has been out to my home numerous times because I refuse to refer anyone to them and they come knocking on our door to find out why and then they do an energy audit. This last energy audit they told me I get most of my savings in the evening hours. No way those are the hours that APS has their low-cost use and I take advantage of my APS plan. That was the only input they had for me is that I am saving so much at night time. The time previous to this Troy came out to help us and we had to pay an extra 15,000 for something he had sold us through Easy Energy and that unit is sitting in my backyard now for our chickens to roost on. I have just been screwed left and right with energy savings. I was better off to have left our current situation alone and just stayed with our electric company APS and never got involved with Solar City.

Today I get a text reading that my account is past due because they tacked on a 15.00 fee for not using a checking account and other than that payment is current. Just a huge hassle that I wish I had never done. There is no resolution with this company and they always tell me that it is working just fine. When I have the techs come to my home they tell me I need to use the A/C during the daytime because I will save so much. No one pays my bill and I'm not running my air conditioning during the day because I am not paying 400 a month to APS on top of my lease. That is a no win for me. I would love to have the kinds of savings that they offer consumers now where they pay a flat rate to APS of about 20.00 a month and their lease payment but since I was never offered that option I just stay in the screwed boat.

Original review: June 19, 2017

When Solar City first installed solar panels we were not pleased with the results. We were still getting $100 + APS bills. Solar City agreed to add panels to make the system more efficient! They came, they installed, and the additional panels were finally turned on. Now all of a sudden we received two bills, one for $59.00 and another for OVER $150.00! I was under the impression that we would be combining the two sections together and getting ONE bill! This is RIDICULOUS. We wouldn't be paying that much WITHOUT the solar panels! Nobody at Solar City will help. We really got screwed. WHO CAN HELP???

Original review: June 15, 2017

I purchased a home one year ago and transferred the SolarCity contract. During the transfer, the customer service was extremely responsive. I have been satisfied with the performance of the system and I realize a small savings each month and also reduce my energy footprint. For the first six months, online billing was available and efficient. About six months ago the billing portal began to undergo an "upgrade". It remains offline and attempts to contact the billing department are frustrating experiences. They ask you to leave your number and you will be called back within 48 hours. They did attempt to reach me after 46 hours, however I was unable to take the call. That put me right back where I started, leaving my number for a return call within 48 hours.

The reason for my inquiry was to request a statement of my account since I believe they failed to apply a payment. I then requested a statement via email which resulted in a return email indicating that my request would be addressed. I have since sent in payment via US mail. This payment took 18 days to clear my bank. I received a subsequent invoice charging me an additional late fee.

Product performance has been satisfactory, billing department/customer service is terrible. Their failure to maintain an online billing portal and forcing customers to use US Postal Service for remittance is contradictory to a solar company's supposed commitment to the environment. I would love to be more supportive of SolarCity, but I cannot do so until they demonstrate more responsibility to their customers and the environment.

Original review: June 14, 2017

Horrible organization. Very disorganized. Terrible follow-thru. I believe that SolarCity has set up their customer non-service department so that they can just deflect away the problems they cause and eventually frustrate the consumer to the level that they just give up. SolarCity, I told you that you jacked with the wrong guy and this review is just the start of what I am about to do. The only reason I listened to your sales pitch was because I wanted to reduce my expenses. You sold me on a system for my home and never even sent someone out to actually look at my home. Everything went smoothly in the SALES side of things. I was important to you then.

I was promised a system that would reduce my $250+ electric bill (per month) to under $60 per month. Contracts were signed and on install day, your guy tells me that my roof is too steep to install on. We discussed it and I asked if the system would fit on my sunroom. You installed, checked the support beams to make sure it would hold it and came back to me with a yes. Installation began and was completed. Not even a mention that the system he was going to install was only a fraction of the size of what was agreed to. Weeks later I find out that the system installed wouldn't even cover 10% of my energy usage. I have talked to so many "supervisors" and several of them have acknowledged that mistakes were made and apologized to me for what happened, but none of them had the power to do anything to fix it. Everyone says they are sorry, but not sorry enough to actually fix the problems. Get used to seeing my name because I am not going away...

Original review: June 13, 2017

I was presented with a solar system lease agreement and was told it would cover 104% of my electric usage based on my previous 12 months of utility bills and I would only pay a small service fee to my local utility company. In 3 years that has never happened. Unfortunately the actual contract has our estimated production LOWER than our actual usage. I have contacted SolarCity numerous times since the system was turned on in 2014. Most recently I have been dealing with Ryan, a customer relations specialist. He had a tech come to my home, who did NOT check the inverters, but pulled the DG meter (he isn't supposed to do this, it belongs to the utility company), rewired it and claimed it was wired incorrectly to begin with. When I told the utility company he was there and what he was doing they informed me he should not be touching it at all. He panicked and pulled it again and put the wires back the way they were.

I had the utility company come out to check it as well. They actually ran diagnostic tests and said it was fine and that it was not wired incorrectly. It actually would short out the system if it was. When I told Ryan this and that I had some serious concerns that the inspection done by SolarCity's tech wasn't reliable, I was asked to send in 48 months worth of utility bills for a cost analysis because that was the only thing left available to help me. I asked if he would be able to furnish me with the cost analysis in writing so that I could review it and was told no, that it would be a verbal confirmation from him that everything was fine. I followed up with an email detailing why this made me uncomfortable based on the incompetencies already demonstrated by the employees I had interacted with already.

The lack of proof reading and grammatical errors made it difficult for me to understand and showed a significant lack of care in his response to me. We have gone back and forth numerous times now and nothing is actually being done. My frustration level has bypassed my ability to be professional at this point and I have since had to request that he contact my husband instead of me. At this point I just want the equipment removed and for us to go our separate ways. I want nothing more than to never have to deal with Ryan again, who would appear to say anything to appease me no matter if it is honest or not.

SolarCity Company Information