2. Solar Energy

out of business
 2.6/5 (514 ratings)

Find Solar Energy Companies partners near you

About SolarCity

Since 2006, SolarCity has strived to be the national leader in clean energy services and has become America’s largest solar provider. We specialize in residential and commercial solar systems. We provide energy at a lower cost than paying for energy generated by burning coal, oil and natural gas.

Find Solar Energy Companies partners near you

SolarCity Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SolarCity?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about SolarCity?

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Customer service is beyond ridiculous. They are great while they are working to get you on the hook. Once you are contracted you are on your own. I moved into a new construction on 12/28/17 and my system was not activated 7/03/18 at 1 pm. For my inconvenience Tesla offered me a payment of $170.51. Seven months of excuses and no action, and finally a check for 170.51 to cover my inconvenience. How do they come up with that insulting number? What was quoted, what my lease states and what my bill shows are three different numbers. Calling customer service is pointless because no one ever answers. I have emailed them with full documentation and so far just a canned response with their Best regards and an invitation to call customer service. I'd like to say TESLA I hope you crash and burn, but it looks like you already are. Best regards.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Customer Care is horrible as noted by all the negative reviews. I have tried calling but the wait is over an hour. They will call you back, but it has been over one week and no callback. How does this company continue to survive? You will keep taking the monthly payment out of my account yet I have no recourse with you. Why do you even have a customer care department when there is none.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Roof damaged by hail. 1+ hours on d to talk service then 6 weeks to get crew out here. 45 min to remove panels. Now shingles replaced, told 7 month wait to reinstall my panels. Inexcusable - Tesla need to hire across the board for service. Or subcontract. Sign me up for class action.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I have tried to get a resolution to this problem for weeks and I keep hitting stumbling block after stumbling block. Nothing but abhorrent customer service from SolarCity aka Tesla. On August 10th we noticed water coming in through the ceiling in our living room. We contacted Tesla since it is directly below the solar panels on our roof. Calling them is near impossible because they quote over an hour wait with the automated system and then while holding the line magically disconnects around the 45 minute mark. Twice I got hung up on.

I finally got through and they agreed to send someone out to check on the leak the next day. The Tesla rep couldn't determine for sure where it was coming from so he wanted to come back out the next day. The next day after the second inspection he still wasn't sure. So Tesla sent a team out the following day. The team determined that it was bad felt paper around our chimney and that the water was running down a rafter in the attic and dropping off at the point where the leak came through the ceiling. Not their responsibility.

So we call insurance, schedule several roofers to give quotes on a fix, and have a restoration company come out to mitigate the water damage. The restoration company says the water is not coming from the chimney area. They use moisture meters which clearly show it is actually coming from directly above the leak which is directly below the panels. There is no moisture around the chimney. The roofer also says it is not the chimney but possibly a combo of storm damage and the solar company insufficiently flashing the solar stands allowing water to penetrate through. I contact Tesla with this new info and am told I need to send them a report that they can forward to the Operations team for further review.

In the meantime another monsoon storm hits and the water comes in through the ceiling again. So I have to have the restoration company out a second time to mitigate the water damage. They had already put a tub in the attic to try and catch any water since it is impossible to tarp the roof due to the panels. Despite the difficulty, I request the roofer try to tarp it best he can, and the roofing company came out the next day to tarp it. So I send Tesla photos from the restoration company and the report from the roofer. And wait.

The insurance company sends out an adjuster to look at the roof and he also determines that the panels need to be removed for an accurate inspection. So I contact Tesla to find out what the Operations team has to say about the new info, and to try and coordinate a partial panel removal/inspection with Tesla, the adjuster, and roofer. Tesla says the Operations team already determined it is our chimney and they are not responsible for the damage. They will not coordinate an inspection with the insurance adjuster or a roofer. My only option is to schedule a removal, for which I have to pay $499, so the roof can be repaired.

Fine. I give up! I really don't care who is responsible or not at this point and just want my roof repaired! So I say let's schedule the removal so I can get my roof repaired. Guess what!? Tesla won't remove my panels until early 2019!! Yes, you read that right. 2019! They are backlogged and my contract doesn't allow for a third party to touch the panels. Tesla "graciously" said they will waive that and allow it since they are so backlogged, but I am responsible for any damage done by a third party removal. So explain to me how that is truly an option!?

I have calls in to three local solar companies hoping I can find someone to remove the panels for me so I can repair my roof. The tarp on the roof has not held and has been shredded by the wind that got under the panels. Another storm rolled through today so now I have MORE water damage; wet carpet, wet insulation, and wet drywall.

I have video and photos that prove the leak is NOT where Tesla claims. I have two toddlers in my house. This is a health hazard! I have a hole in my ceiling with a bucket in the attic and buckets on the floor trying to catch the water. This CANNOT WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR!! Every storm is causing additional damage to my house. They won't accept any responsibility nor will they do anything to help prevent further damage. Truly despicable. Shame on Tesla! They put panels on an old roof and walked away. They got their tax break and could care less about the damage to my home. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I got solar panels as my husband and I were retiring and I wanted to cut back on our overhead. Now I am still paying $150 a month to Edison PLUS my monthly payment to SolarCity, which will continue to go up EVERY YEAR. VERY UNHAPPY.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Tesla/Solar City great sales, runs like a top. After hailstorm, before I can get roofing replaced- SIX WEEK wait to have panels removed. Took 45 min work. Heard that possible SEVEN MONTH wait for 2 hour reinstall. Inexcusable- wish I'd never bought this. Was doing right for environment. Tesla a big fail. Why not bring in crews from other states like insurance companies?

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

We installed SolarCity solar panels Aug. 2015. Since then the combined cost for electricity charged by NV Energy (So. NV) plus SolarCity's monthly charges have resulted in little to no savings at all. The problem lies in their monthly charges, which by contract, increase each year. I wrote a letter to Elon Musk along with my chart that tracks my energy costs since installation to point out that their whole program is a scam. That was over a month ago. So far no reply. He's probably too busy shooting rockets off or trying to get his Tesla production up to promised deliveries. Will it take a class action suit to get out from under this lopsided contract? I'm ready to sign on.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

The fifteenth day is fast approaching and still no knowledge as to when or where my inverter is. They had the kahunas to say that they had a tracking number but can't find the part or the tracking number? THEY SAID IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN HERE MONDAY 8/20. Some district manager from TEXAS is now involved. TEXAS? Where is the area manager for NEVADA?

They sold a lot of systems here in Las Vegas... To be our utility company but has no service personnel or here in Nevada. These were sold as LEASE SYSTEMS with the Solemn Promise to be there after the sale. I really think its time for Class Action. Kinda wondering how TESLA owners fair with their warranty service with their Model S? I sure wouldn't buy anything from TESLA expecting any type of customer service. Where is the Nevada Attorney General? Where is the FTC? Where is the Consumer Protection Agency? They act as a Utility but refuse to provide any service. Aren't there any protections for Seniors?

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

When I wanted to go Solar I talked to half a dozen companies. Only one company (Tesla/SolarCity) said they would send somebody to do the roof inspection BEFORE I am required to sign the contract. All other companies wanted me to sign the contract BEFORE sending someone to do the site survey. They kept saying that as I lived in CA I have three days to cancel the contract. But they said the site survey will be done after 10 days or so after I sign the contract. My roof is 15 years old and even though it is supposed to last some 40 years I did not want to take the risk of signing and then finding our my roof had to be fixed before panels can be installed. But none of other companies agreed to do the site survey before signing of the contract even though I agreed to pay reasonable amount for it.

Tesla/SolarCity asked me to pay a refundable deposit of $500 to do the roof survey. Sure enough they found damage to my roof which had to be fixed before the panel installation. They showed me the photographs of damage (as the roof is two storeys high I could not climb to see the damage). Their estimate is $4800 to fix the roof. I consulted a friend who is in construction business and he agreed the estimate is reasonable. Here is the kicker. Tesla/SolarCity agreed to bear the entire cost. So I went with that company. They sent a crew of 5 (they engaged an independent contractor) to do the roof and it took them a day and half. This is the main reason I went with SolarCity even though their quote was second highest of all the six companies. But after I factored in the cost of roof repair theirs came to be very competitive.

Then Tesla/SolarCity (Tesla bought SolarCity) scheduled installation of panels. But I told them I was planning on going away for a two week vacation. They assured me that my presence is not needed as long as they can have access to my roof which I arranged. While I was away Tesla installed the panels and completed the paperwork. I received all the permits and my utility last week gave me permission to turn on the system. All in all I have no complaints. But the system is on for only a week and so far everything looks good.

I paid the entire cost for the system so I own it. I would give them 5 stars but so far they did not activate their app to monitor the energy produced, energy being used and net energy sent to the grid. I do have a device that monitors the energy being used by my house in real time and so I know the system is producing more than I am using for about 7 daylight hours. During the past one week my house used near zero electricity. I own a Tesla car which I charge every alternate day.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Our roof was damaged by hail. We contacted SolarCity to advise them that the panels would need to be removed so the roof could be repaired per the terms of the contract. To be brief, every telephone contact with the company resulted in a promise of a return call or action in 48 hours, but they consistently fail to follow up. They refuse to provide any documentation that we are even on a waiting list. They say they cannot remove the panels until 2019. Obviously, the roof cannot be repaired in January or February, so repairs cannot begin for more than 6 months. It is clear SolarCity is trying to avoid their responsibility to remove the panel as they are obligated to do under the contract. Terrible customer service. Do not deal with this company for any service whatsoever.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

My husband was approached by a SolarCity representative Heather ** at the HOME DEPOT. She showed up at my house with the pitch of a 30% system with the indication that most systems generate more than proposed. With the intention of OWNING our SREC's to trade them and pay for the system, we purchased a system instead of leasing it. When we received the paperwork concerning the SREC's it indicated we were turning them over to SolarCity. We refused to sign the paperwork for 5 months trying to get it corrected. Customer Care representative Rosie ** told us that the program generating the paperwork would not let her change it so for us to sign it and she would get it corrected with management. Heather ** also went to management several times on our behalf with the result of her being fired along with all of the other HOME DEPOT representatives.

When I called SolarCity I was told numerous times that in fact I did own my SREC's and that I needed to register with a trade company and get an ID# from the state. It was then I found out that SolarCity owns my address and there is nothing I can do or that the state can do as I signed them over - even if we were coerced into signing them. Solar City needs to fill out a form to transfer them back. They refuse to do so, they refuse to communicate with me on the matter so I SHUT MY SYSTEM OFF! Amazingly they sent me an email wanting to know why my system is not working. I explained my experience and all they had to say was that they understood my frustration but we did sign them over and how counterproductive it is to stop generating power.

I explained that it is counterproductive to save less money on my electric bill than my loan payment is and how unethical their tactics are and now it is the principle of NOT GENERATING INCOME FOR SOLARCITY. This is suppose to be a government program to benefit the homeowner - not a major corporation. Gratefully I am only out $12,000.00 as I have to pay the 3rd party loan to preserve my credit - even more grateful that my in-laws at my meeting with Heather decided to go with MOMENTUM SOLAR for their $40,000.00 system. I recommend them now even though they are not my company as they will give me referral fee and that's how I am paying for my unproductive system!!! If you decide to go with MOMENTUM - tell them Roberta ** in New Jersey recommended them.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Maybe time for a class action? Their customer service repeats the same line... 7-15 days. That isn't customer service. No repair parts kept in Las Vegas for expedited system repairs. Their go to answer... 7-15 days to order parts. They sell us these solar systems and pull all their service staff out of this market. Effectively no customer service.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Worst company ever. Last year when they came and sold me solar panel, my only concern was that sooner or later I will have to get the roof replaced so what will happen and then assured me that all I will have to do is make a call a day or two ahead of scheduled date and they will come and uninstall and once roof is done they will install the panels immediately. Now that I have my roof scheduled for this Thursday on Monday when I called they told me it will take them 24 to 48 hours to return my call and when my roofer called they told him they can't do it till 2019. Please if you are getting Solar Panels there are much cheaper options. Don't get into the scam of Tesla name.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

My bills don't arrive. The charges are ridiculous. I thought it was a save money situation not a get ripped off situation. I want the damn things off. It's costing me more and yes they do cause roof leaks that were not there before. Just a scam business.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I relate to the experience of Michele of Media, PA. We put Solar Panels on in 2012. Exactly the same thing has happened as for you Michele: we also thought that when SolarCity's engineers said our roof was ok for solar panels, that meant for the term of use, meaning 20 years. It never occurred to us to hire our OWN ROOF GUY, who is a knowledgeable professional and roof whisperer, to check the roof ALSO. It had already been checked, right? NOTE: Hire your own guy to check whether your roof is young enough, or needs to be replaced, before you put on solar panels. After the installation, our roof guy saw me and said he had serious concerns about our roof under those solar panels, because it was too old to make it for the life of the panels. What could I say?

Now we are having leaking. We need to replace the roof. To our shock and horror, we are being quoted $8,000 - yes EIGHT THOUSAND DOLLARS - to remove those panels and then replace them after the roof is repaired. How is this possible, when other people are being quoted $400 for the same thing? Our roof is big, but not that big. Prior to this, our experience was very positive. We have had our panels for 6 years, with no problems. Any problems, they come and repair. My husband estimates we have saved $3-4,000 in electric costs. We loved doing this for the environment.

When Solar City put them up, they damaged our roof, and they paid to have our roof guy repair it. All good. But $3-4000 savings doesn't make up for $8000. There is clearly a conflict of interest for SolarCity Engineers, who want to make a sale. And there is clearly confusion for the buyer, who hears these engineers report that the roof is fine for solar panels. And this lack of clarity is hurting everyone. Why doesn't SolarCity / Tesla REQUIRE new owners to get their own independent evaluation of their roof, as part of the deal? Rather than being in such a hurry to get the sale, why don't they make sure the thing will work? For everyone? I am not a suing person. But I think this calls for a class action suit.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

3 weeks after install the roof leaked badly. Tesla provided "courtesy/goodwill patches". They claim the interior damage is not their problem. Many emails, at least three visits for patches resulting in courtesy/goodwill patches, whatever that means. Ceiling wall floor and insulation damage.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Met a guy from Tesla SolarCity in Home Depot, thought it was worth checking out. First time the sales rep came out seemed interesting so decided to have the house checked out for the quote. Guys came out to check the roof and electric. After they left starting having electrical issues, turns out they damaged a main breaker while inspecting. Sales rep said that they would fix it. Second time sales rep was supposed to come out, he showed up 2 and a half hours late for appointment without calling till he showed up wondering why it was no longer a good time. Still have not been able to get a hold of anyone to take care of the bill for the damage. I’ve now canceled any further dealings but very unhappy that they won’t take care of the damage that they caused.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

In December of 2013. We met a nice young lady in Home Depot, an agent for Solar City. I was going to be retiring soon and my husband was already retired. My husband had been living in our 1,700-sq. ft. home by himself as I lived on site at my job. We explained to her that when I was retired and home we would be using a lot more electricity. We would be entertaining guests, more cooking and my hot tub, it was important to have the system designed to cover the extra usage and the size of our home.

In January of 2014 we began using the solar system that was installed on our roof. We were excited when every month when we received a bill from Edison, showing that we had a credit. My husband thought the panels were wonderful and told his friends. In December 2014, our Edison bill was $1,400.00. My husband was so upset! I asked where the bills were and he replied that he threw them away because they showed a credit. I called Edison to see if it was a mistake, they replied that it was correct, that our net generated was very low compared to our consumption. I asked why it showed a credit every month and I was told that an overpayment had been made in December 2013. I asked them to send copies of all of the statements for the year.

When we received the statements, and examined them closely, we discovered the “Notice” stating how much extra we owed Edison each month for consuming more than we generated in small 6 or 8 print type. We were not given the opportunity to pay it each month. It was an annual accumulation of fees that we knew nothing about. They suggested I contact a tech person at Edison, he had the information for our solar panels and told me that what had been installed was enough to run a big screen TV and two refrigerators.

This was a mistake in design by Solar City, that we ended up having to pay for. We contacted Solar City to see if they would pay for their design mistake and were told that they would send a manager out to get the problem resolved. This took some time on their part and I had returned to work, so we could pay the $1400.00 Edison bill. So much for being on a fixed income.

In April 2015 their so called manager came to our house, I took the day off to be there when he arrived. "the Manager" was very nice and he said that Solar City would fix everything. Because a lot of time has gone by I don’t remember all that was said. But he seemed very nice and willing to help us. He had us sign some papers and said not to worry that he would get everything taken care of. He was really sorry that he couldn’t do anything about the $1400 that we had paid Edison.

Thinking back all I can think of was he had two senior citizens that he twisted around his finger. I was under the impression that the new panels that would be added were to make our system workable, to repair their design flaw. I was still working and living on the job site so I didn’t realize that the new panels were on a totally new contract. My husband was paying the bills and until recently I didn’t know we had two contracts.

Not only do I feel that we are being ripped off, but my husband and I are ill and old and our son wants us to move closer to him. Now we can’t sell our house because no one wants to take over two Solar City contracts. We thought we would live here for the rest of our lives and the payments were bearable. Now we are dealing with Tesla and we have two choices. We can pay off the contracts, somewhere around $25,000.00 or we can buy the panels, per our contracts after 5 years.

Now we find out that we can’t buy them because the first contract will be 5 years in December and the second contract will be 5 years in 4 of 2019. Second contract once again because of Solar City’s bad design. And in my opinion because of their slick salesman who we thought was here from the company to help us, and all he did was sell us another set of panels! I'm attaching 3 pictures. (2453) not very easy to see but our first panels that were supposed to serve our needs. (2454) panels to fix the original mistake. (Also notice the location and shade from our trees) (2455) Larger picture.

Original review: July 30, 2018

My roof recently was damaged by a hail storm. Roofers cannot get the job done until SolarCity goes and removes the solar panels. It turns out SolarCity is booked for 3 months. They gave me the option to hire a 3rd party contractor and made sure they told me I would be responsible for any damage. SolarCity did not care if the roof is causing further damage to the inside of my house, but was quick to let me know that they would not be responsible for further damage to my house due to the damaged roof. I asked them, why don't they hire a 3rd party contractor since they are the ones that are backed up and they be responsible for any damage. Needless to say, that they would not do that. Because of this experience I would most defiantly not recommend SolarCity to my worst enemy. Nowadays there are a lot more choices out there for solar energy, don't get caught up with SolarCity like I did. I am stuck with them for 20 years, with no way out of the contract.

Original review: July 27, 2018

If I could have given less than one star I would have, but let's start... SolarCity, now Tesla, is by far THE WORST customer experience on the planet. For the 3rd day in a row I have waited on hold for over an hour to PAY MY BILL, yes, pay a bill. Oh did I mention I did speak to someone in new sales that promptly answered my call but could not assist me with my situation. And when I asked for her to promptly send me to a supervisor about this issue I was promptly placed on hold... which no one answered.

I know you are probably thinking why not log into the system and pay the bill. I would have love to do that but wait for it... My online portal has been down for over 2 years. And when I ask when the problem will be corrected no one knows. Before this, they refused to send me monthly payments in a timely fashion. During that horrific event, I met two managers named Amy ** and Rebbecca ** that SWORE if I ever needed anything they would assist. I have called, left messages and this is day 3 that I haven't received a single soul. So I guess I'll wait to hear from whomever reads these reviews so I can pay my bill because I refuse to wait on hold for a third day, and waste a third hour of my life that I cannot get back. I please urge any perspective solar panel buyer not to purchase from this company. Worse in the business!!!

Original review: July 25, 2018

Since the install of my solar panels, the production of KW Hours produced does not match with the production listed by Edison not even close! We have a written guarantee in our contract to produce at least a certain amount of KW Hours per year and what we actually produce is less than 2/3 rds of guarantee. We have had to pay Edison over $900 a year for power used since installation. They broke my skylight. It took 4 months to get a new one installed, since they installed it the roof leaks and now I have mold in my drywall. I would not recommend this company to anyone!

Original review: July 24, 2018

We purchased in 2016 that already had panels from SolarCity. We had considered solar and so having this was a plus, we thought. But the system works on some strange plan that I do not understand. We have an issue with our internet provider regarding SolarCity monitoring the energy produced. I requested a visit in person but was told they didn't come to homes. How then was the service sold and installed in the first place???

I have talked with several sales people, in person and over the phone, and asked that my complaint go to their supervisor but no calls back. So I didn't pay their bill (which was as much as my utility bill and I don't know why I was paying double for power) and they suspended the service - of course, making money off of the panels on my roof. Now I want to re-establish service (after my utility company explained the situation to me) and I can't even reach anyone to pay the balance, not on the phone or even on-line. For a tech type company, they can't even keep their bill paying service going on-line. I may have them just come and remove the panels.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Totally disappointed with this company. The salesman's quote about monthly charges was way more than stated. When I spoke to him, he stated that he will get back to me and that I should not pay the bill until then, it has been a year and a half since that conversation and now I am in debt to SolarCity... do not recommend this company.

Original review: July 12, 2018

SolarCity 901 Page Avenue Fremont, CA 94538. On August 5, 2017 I entered into a contract with ** on behalf of your firm. I signed all the paperwork, and provided my electric bill. The last activity on your part was October 16, 2017. I have called numerous times to find the status of this installation. I was told there was a work permit problem with the NYC Department of Buildings, due to your electrician not being licensed in New York City, and I would be contacted for installation within 30 to 45 days. That was in late January 2018. I was never contacted by anyone. I followed up at the end of March, and no one was able to give me any answer as to what was going on. The monthly cost of solar service has risen significantly during your inaction. I do not expect to bear the increased cost. I intend to hold SolarCity to its agreement. Kindly contact me to advise when the installation will begin pursuant to the terms of our agreement.

Original review: July 11, 2018

This company is full of scammers beginning from the sales reps to the owner. When we signed up for the panels my credit was not approved. The sales rep told us we can have another co-signer and they would add me later on replacing the 2nd co-signer. Now we have a non working system that disconnects to their servers every month. So they bill us whatever they feel is appropriate (last bill over $200). The panels are now under my mother in law's name and she is not on my lien. Solar City basically coerced me on committing a federal fraudulent crime.

In 2017 we tried selling the house and was told if we cannot get a buyer to agree to 'transfer' the lease we can get it removed for $3000. Forward a year later the house has not been able to sell and I tried contacting Solar City to pay the $3000 and was told I am on a 20 year contact. Has anyone been able to successfully get the panels removed? I have been searching for days. Next search is for a Consumer Protection Attorney.

Original review: July 4, 2018

Our meter device or monitor failed. A Solar City affiliated technician came out and said we needed to replace but no more were in stock. Not a big deal but over a year later I called Solar City representatives again inquiring when I would get a new monitor. Apparently, I will not. Apparently the monitor was out of warranty. The sell is for 20 years they will service and maintain the system. Monitors, cost from $300-$600. I would think Solar City produces these however, they are only sold through dealers - seems like a scam. The price seem exorbitant. Although not necessary it also seems suspect that the company would not encourage the owner/lessee to know how much money they are saving based on the efficiency of the system.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I have had my solar panels for 2 years now. Starting about 8 months ago, I would get emails from Tesla about every 2 weeks that there was a problem with my panels and I had to call from home, while it was light out. Hard to do when you work and it's winter. I would call and they would just have me reset the button. This happened about every 2 weeks for about 2 months. I continuously asked to have someone out but was told it was not necessary. Finally, about 3 months ago they came out and told me everything was fixed.

On June 15th I get an email again about a problem. Service tech came out 6/19 and told me there was water in the panel box and it was unsafe so they had to shut down the panels and replace the box-at a future date of course. Makes me wonder how long it was unsafe before they finally realized it. Panels were shut down in height of energy season and service scheduled for July 3 from 12-2. Technician called at 3 to say it was too hot and he would need to reschedule. Next available date is 7/16 which means a month without the panels and no compensation. Would not recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: June 30, 2018

Be prepared to pay almost double in what you paid before believing in SolarCity. Yes your "electric" bill will be less BUT what you pay to SolarCity for the panels is almost double the normal electric bill. I am trapped. Don't be like me.

Original review: June 16, 2018

SolarCity installed solar panels on my house in January 2017. I live in Upper Marlboro, Maryland. The sales pitch I was given and sold on was the reduction in cost for electricity. I have analyzed/compared my bills for the same period(s) and my electricity bills (SolarCity & PEPCO combined) are much more than they were with PEPCO alone, even with the fees PEPCO charges. I know NO ONE that is willing to agree to pay more for electricity. I have spoken with SolarCity customers, visited several sites showing reviews on SolarCity and the sentiments are the same, misrepresentation of cost/savings.

The representatives fail to tell you if your home is all electric you will receive massive bills from your current carrier (mine being PEPCO), in addition to their bill, when using your heating system. The onus is on SolarCity to inform the consumer of this fact. Their failure to disclose this information has resulted in financial strains on the consumer. SolarCity needs to be held accountable!!! Their customer service is poor and offers no help to remedy the problem, requesting something in writing from the representative that sold the panels to substantiate your claim. WELL, they FAILED TO DISCLOSE THIS INFORMATION.

Again, the onus is on SolarCity to fully disclose ALL known information... and this fact IS KNOWN by solar companies. As consumers, we should not absorb the cost for their dereliction of duty. I feel that there are three ways of resolving this issue... TURN THE SYSTEM OFF at the panel box, DO NOT PAY THEIR BILL and force them into bankruptcy, or file a CLASS ACTION SUIT for their willful misrepresentation!!! I have set up a Gmail account to review our options. If you have experienced this misrepresentation, send me an email and let's put a stop to this NOW!!!

Original review: June 13, 2018

Solar associates at The Home Depot claim they work for Tesla. On day of appointment, they stated that their technicians were busy so they chose to call me instead. The number showed up as a toll free number but showed as unknown. I asked if they can send me a brochure and a business card, but the associate stated that ELON MUSK prohibits to do business like that. Right away, it smelled like a scam.

SolarCity Company Information