1.07/5

Looking for a solar energy company?

This company is out of businessFIND OTHER COMPANIES

Since 2006, SolarCity has strived to be the national leader in clean energy services and has become America’s largest solar provider. We specialize in residential and commercial solar systems. We provide energy at a lower cost than paying for energy generated by burning coal, oil and natural gas.

Our mission is to see millions adopt clean energy services, which in the long run will save them from rising electricity costs. We will work with you through the entire process and will provide ongoing monitoring and repair services. Call today for more information!

View More View More

Looking for a solar energy company?

573 SolarCity Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 29, 2019

I had to assume a PPA when I bought my house. SolarCity's contract guy couldn't send me the right agreement 4 times, so my title company had to do it for him. Now that we're done the monitoring device stopped working. So I get an email telling me the monitoring system isn't working. So I respond with, "Great, how do I fix it?" Nothing. For 3 weeks. Then I finally get an email from some guy saying he's created a "case" for me. What does that mean? Is someone going to call? Come fix it? What? He writes back - "Well, that's why I also gave you a number to call during business hours - I don't actually know if the case will do anything or when." Holy cow! Seriously? Why even bother then???

Original review: March 21, 2019

So we paid off the solar panels in full, because their billing department and inability to get a billing portal was mind boggling and extremely frustration to deal with. 1.5 years after assuming the panels they still hadn't gotten our billing portal up, never apologized once, and forced me to call in monthly (with 5-20 minute wait times) to pay manually. Also, the energy they charge for is more expensive than the utility company. When I told them this was the case they acted surprised like it had never happened before, said they would escalate, and never called back. That was a recurring theme actually - they would never follow up on escalations and, after asking more than 10 times for a supervisor to contact me, one never did. I gave it two stars because the panels work, everything else is trash. Stay away from this company.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

SolarCity is the worst decision of my life and is now costing me 30,000. I was lied to from day one!!! No savings at all. My electric bills were more than double. I'm a single mom and because my bills have been outrageous I've been forced to sell my house of 12 years. I will still need to pay out the lien they put on my home at closing. I worked so hard for my family and now all the equality in my home will go to a crooked corporate company. All because I wanted to save money so badly I believed the lies. They told me it would be easy to transfer but that's not true either and NO ONE wants to take over such a horrible lease.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

SolarCity installed my panels three years ago 12/2015. During this time I have had multiple issues with my Furnace unit which vents outside of the home through roof. I had noted multiple headaches and severe debilitating stomach issues over past few years during winter months when I use the Furnace but never realizing what was going on until just today. My System, during inspection, appears in good working order however the contractor whom installed the panels on my roof moved my Furnace vent on top of roof to accommodate panels in such damaging the vent. There is no other entities that could of damaged this and SolarCity moved the entire vent!

The sole purpose is for the Carbon Monoxide to exit the home and long term exposure can cause debilitating lifelong health issues. When I contacted SolarCity now owned by Tesla they said unless I have a Lawyer they do not and will not compensate me for my repairs to the damage they did nor will they deal with me. Still paying for darn panels that under-perform and so disappointed by customer service. I need lawyer obviously.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I have had my panels for 2 years. In that time, I have never received my 15k rebate from them, resulting in my payment going up, and it is not communicating with the power company. As a result, I am paying more than double what I was pre panels and SolarCity is literally impossible to get ahold of. I have been calling constant for 2 YEARS and they never follow through with helping me AT ALL. I need to pay the power company, otherwise they will turn off my power and I need to pay for the panels otherwise it will go into collections. I am held hostage and could not be more frustrated and sick over this.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SolarCity?

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Greetings Gentlemen of Green Energy; I have selected the three of you specifically because of your positions with SolarCity/Tesla. You see, I have a problem. I have a new solar system activated last September 2017 after a lengthy contract negotiation and installation that encompassed about a year and a half. What's the problem? Well the system and product are fantastic and generating more energy than promised, however, the installation was not done well, at all, and has caused EXTREME damage to my home. I thought I had a fantastic warranty, it covered so much! I did not consider the "people are jerks factor" though. I really wish I had insisted on a clause in my warranty that would have fixed this but here I am after four months of back and forth with your not so stellar customer service people trying to avoid taking responsibility.

I have all of this communication saved for the possibility of having to get serious in order to enforce my rights under said warranty and Arizona Consumer Protection Statutes. I am prepared to file with the ROC and Attorney General if necessary to get this ball rolling. I do not want to go this route if we do not have to. Which brings us all together here so I can attempt one more time with some people above the phone lifters that I have been subjected to thus far in my plight.

This is where I will tell you about my specific problem. My roof is seven years young, never a leak or problem. Until one day a Solar company comes along. We entered into an agreement a binding contract and the install begins! Fast forward one year and one month, setting is Phoenix AZ. We do not receive much rain here and when it does rain it's really just a sprinkle here and there, save for the rare wet storm. However, in October of 2018 it rained, A LOT, for three days straight in fact. This amount of rain was enough to alert me to a distinct odor of wet wood, mildew, funk etc... Upon further inspection I found that I had an area of my home with a large stain at the ceiling. Enter my not so great homeowner's insurance. I will spare you all of this nightmare except to say they would not look beyond the ground level and I am seriously embroiled in a battle with them because...

My solar warranty does not allow for anyone to touch the system or it will void the warranty. I can gain permission to have someone do so but this is where the problem grows. You see, as I stated before, the problem is the install so I must preserve the evidence of this in order to hold your company accountable since so far no one will give me the time of day. Unfortunately this puts me and my family of six in a very difficult position. I am out of time with my insurance and they are worthless, I've discovered, in protecting my family and home. So I am currently interviewing lawyers to assist in enforcing my rights with them, but we still cannot proceed with repair until the solar issue is recorded and preserved properly; or until you actually stand up and do what is right to save us all some time and money.

What is it that I am seeking from you three specifically? Well, one of you is a litigator, well versed in the rights of the consumers and the laws regarding contracts and warranties. Another a founder and high titled executive with binding interest for the success of your company and finally the third, the ringleader of all the phone lifters at the specific location that I have had the unpleasant and unprofessional experience of having to deal with over the past four months. All while being under extreme stress dealing with this problem that has taken my home and consumed me and my life so fully that I feel as if I am not repairing an issue with my home, but fighting to regain my life as I know it!

What have I presented to show you that I am correct in making this accusation? Not much yet I suppose but the rest of this letter and all of the attachments will round that out for us. So let's begin, shall we? On October 22, 2018 after first alerting your people to my concern I had Casey come out to look at the issue. He happily entered my attic and supplied me and my insurance with his finding that it was wear and tear around the A/C causing the damage and his opinion that I should hold my roofer accountable. Suspicion alert number one, why? My roof never leaked in seven years, why all of a sudden would it so dramatically?

You see at this point it was becoming clear to me that all of my home had damage, EVERY ROOM! So how does one point of entry cause water damage to extend so far? Suspicious alert number two. So I asked him, "Do you see any other point of entry major or minor?" To which he replied not that he could see and added the repair on roof is minor but the damage to my home beneath will be costly. This conversation took place via text (which I have saved). I should note I have been collecting picture evidence weekly since October 5th and only communicated via text or email for the entire process with all parties even the contractors and environmental specialists that I sought.

I reached out to Casey again on November 2nd 2018 to advise. I now had gained enough knowledge and evidence that I felt SolarCity was responsible and I wanted to provide that documentation and formally open a claim. He responded by stating he empathized with our plight but we would have to contact customer service. Why? Because he is just an electrician, he said. He was not capable of handling a roof issue. Wait! What did he just say? Suspicious alert number three. So why was an electrician sent to inspect and document a roof issue?

Ok, so this is where I did notify customer service. Several times as a matter of fact and the games began. I like games, I am quite good at Scrabble, volleyball and yes, even psychological games of one-upmanship. I do enjoy a smart and sporting banter but these CS professionals you have employed to fend off cost are not very good at this game, rendering it boring and fruitless. So I have moved on to greater opponents.

This is what brings the four of us together today! So, the ball is now in your court. How shall we proceed? Will you engage in this game at a more challenging level or will you call an end to this mess by acting with integrity and taking responsibility for your installers inability to properly affix the system to my roof without error causing absolute destruction; and thereby, graciously allow my family to be free from this awful experience, repair our home and resume our lives? I am looking forward to your responses and hoping you will act in good faith! Thank you for your time, definitely, if you have made it to the end of this letter. With much appreciation! Your warrantied customer.

P.S. Phone not provided because I want to continue my chain of accountability and please, don't forget to see the illuminating attachments which are just a few select highlights of the plethora that I hold in my pocket. As I was unable to send this letter to anybody within the company, I decided I would post it here in hopes that it will receive some attention for the time I put into creating it. I would also like to save any consumers some grief and dealing with this company.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

We purchased a home in 2017 that has SC panels and assumed the contract. I've been tracking the cost of electricity generated by the panels vs. what we consume from PGE under an EV rate plane. SC is costing us 28% more per kwh (0.28 vs. 0.22).

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Have lived in our house 14 years. Have had the solar panels about 2 years. Pigeons have roosted in the panels in the last year. Tesla/Solar City did send out a company that made cages so the pigeons cannot get under the panels but will not assist with anything between or around the panels so still have pigeons on the roof causing a ton of bird waste on the sidewalk next to the house. Was told they only protect the wiring and the panels and will not assist with anything further.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I made a reservation to have a rep from SolarCity come to my home for a site inspection to determine appropriate location for installing solar panels. I was required to make a $500 refundable deposit in order to schedule an appointment. A week before the appointment, I emailed the rep to cancel the appointment. He quickly replied, "Why?" I said I changed my mind. He quickly replied, "Is it the cost?" I wouldn't go further into the conversation and simply requested a refund of my deposit. That was October 2018. Three months later, after numerous phone calls and emails to the company, and SolarCity is still dragging its feet to return my deposit. Such rotten customer service for an overpriced product. Save yourself money, regrets and grief, and AVOID THIS COMPANY LIKE THE PLAGUE.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I was approached by Tesla/Solar City at Home Depot about adding solar to my home. This was something that I had always interested me. I agreed to have rep come out and look at my house and tell me what kind of a system I could get. After the initial review it seemed apparent that my house was in a very good location and had good orientation for a high value system and we moved forward with the install.

The Good: The system works as expected and as promised. The installation took one day and overall was smooth. I had some other electrical work done after the install and that electrician commented that Tesla's work was very good. The bad, and the very, very, very ugly: Tesla sales reps lie. When they created the engineering plans for my system I was supposed to have had two Powerwalls included in the design. I was told it would take 1 week to 10 days to receive the plans for me to sign off on. That process took over a month and I had to call to follow up no less than 7 times.

Right before I was supposed to get the plans my sales rep contacted me and said, "Well we are having a supply issue on the Powerwalls you can wait for them to become available (approx July), or you can move forward with the install and we will add 5 years on to the Powerwall warranty (bumping to 15 years)." I elected to get the additional warranty and move forward with the install. Took another 3 weeks for them to generate the design for my sign off. I was told at that time that the install would occur in late April (it was now late Feb), it does take time to create the paperwork, get the permits, etc. In late April I was still fighting with them to get the contracts to my local utility for signature. My install did not actually happen until the last week in June.

During the intervening months I was forced to act as facilitator between Tesla and my power company in order to get the paperwork needed to generate the building and electrical permits. I had schedule the inspections, all of this was required of me so that I could make and install date that would ensure that I did not miss my state's incentive program and even with me calling, emailing, texting and basically pushing the process forward. I only made the incentive date cut off by 3 days.

When the powerwalls finally came available (recently) btw I was told they would be available in July (2018) I didn't get notified they were available until Jan (2019). I was told they never said I would get a 15 year warranty... Yet another lie on top of I sent that paperwork, I did that form, I submitted that permit application. All in all the PV install took approximately 6 months from the initial consult to the system being turned on, I had to call Tesla probably no less 100 times to push my install forward at every single stage. I am reasonably confident that had I not been on the phone with them 15 times a week I would not have had the install done until 3-4 after it was actually completed.

The net: Their process sucks, they have different groups for permits, contracts, utility form submission, etc. None of these groups talk to one another, it is all supposed to be facilitated through your "Sales Adviser." Perhaps there are some good advisers out there but that seems like a pretty risky gamble because mine was either over-utilized, or completely inept, based on my interactions. I'm fairly sure he was inept since it took him almost a week to send an email that he promised me each day over 4 days he had "already sent" and he couldn't understand why I hadn't received it. Turns out btw that the customer service center was able to send the exact same email which I received about 30 seconds after they said it was sent... So yeah inept.

Do yourself a favor and use a local install company that is not a gigantic corporation that is way more focused on selling cars than they are on doing solar power arrays. I have spoken with a few other companies now that I'm looking at someone else to do my battery backup install and according to them my experience is not unique. In fact it is the norm.

SolarCity Company Information