toll free
Call now for more information

toll free
Call now for more information

Our solar PV system was installed quickly after our final communication that someone would be calling for an install date. The team that performed the install was very professional, educating, and thorough in ensuring that my wife and I understood the system and how to engage it when we received word to do so. Our authorization to operate the system came quickly after install. We could not have asked for a better experience. Since install our panels have been producing the kW as stated and we have had no issues. Thank you.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

From the very first contact with SolarCity to this very second as I check my system's production online, I have been constantly pleased with their level of expertise, customer service and professionalism. I will never regret my decision to use them for my solar needs.

SolarCity

We are so happy to hear that you had a great experience with us, Danielle. We work very hard to provide top of the line service and are thrilled to hear that you received our best. Thank you for helping create a greener environment and thank you for choosing to do so with SolarCity!

Original review: April 30, 2016

I signed up for Solar City 4 years ago (lease) and I recently had additional panels installed because of SDG&E's upcoming rate increase. Although I would have loved to purchase solar panels, it was just not affordable for me. There were no surprises for either installation. Everything was explained and communication from Solar City was consistent. My first install was on the garage so the county inspected the work. The latest install went on the house. Appointments for installation happen very quickly after the lease is signed. It is scheduling the inspections that seem to take a lot longer--anywhere from 2 weeks to a month. This has NOTHING to do with Solar City (read some complaint reviews blaming Solar City for long hair for inspections).

Unbeknownst to Solar City, the state had to do the inspection. The county inspector who was sent out is how we all learned that the inspection had to be done by the state because it is a manufactured home on a solid foundation. Right then, I knew this was going to be a long wait. Aaron ** and his team were in constant contact with the state securing the proper paperwork needed and getting contracts to me from the state declaring that I am the owner and to verify serial and model numbers of the house. It was a 2 month wait to get an appointment with a state certified inspector and Solar City was in constant communication with me apologizing which they did not need to do because they do not have control over the inspections.

No need for me to me to be upset with either the state or SC because I have no control over them. SDG&E approved turning on the second system within 2 days of the inspection (they can take up to 2 weeks, also). Now I enjoy seeing all my bar graphs in the negative. Although I pay more for the lease in the winter months than I would electricity (lease is fixed), I pay a third of what I would pay for months (June to October) for electricity. Last year, my final SDGE bill was $40.

Solar City is by far the most professional business I have worked with from the sales agent to the technicians and electricians, and follow up technicians. Family and friends who have signed up with them say the same. I got solar so I could reduce my electric bill but also so I know I am helping the environment. So, even though I know I am paying more overall with a lease as opposed to buying, I know I am making a difference environmentally. Solar City made it possible for me to get solar with their lease program.

Roshica! This is really amusing! You submitted a layout to me that is false as I am sure you would be submitting the same layout to the Town of Smithtown to place additional solar panels on my roof where there is not sufficient space. You refuse to allow me to meet with someone at my home so they can demonstrate where they could place additional panels. I certainly cannot enter into a settlement that I know you cannot honor because of the false documents you have submitted to me.

Please advise your upper management of the REAL situation and the reason I cannot enter into an agreement that is impossible to install additional panels on my home. On Monday, August 14, 2017 I will forward all your documents including the falsified roof plan to the New York State Attorney General who has been contacting me weekly seeking a status of the case. Obviously only legal action from New York State will get this matter resolved.

Last summer 2016 we had solar panels installed and a free roof put on. The roofers were good about cleaning up the outside, but left a mess in our attic and broke the window without telling us. We are older and rarely go into the attic, but couldn't believe the wood and mess they left. They installed the solar panels with no issues but our sales representative failed to tell us that there would be a problem with snow and ice sliding off of our roof on both sides into our neighbor's driveway and ours. Our cars were damaged from the falling ice and snow in which our homeowners would not cover.

Our neighbor was very upset as she is elderly with the chunks of snow and ice falling into her driveway. We had never had this problem with falling ice and snow in our driveway before. They also failed to tell us that our sales rep no longer worked for Solar City as we were trying to get in touch with him. Finally got in touch with someone from Solar City and asked us to send pictures as we had taken some this winter. That was two months ago and no one has contacted us. It is very frustrating and winter will be here soon.

I called Solar City today to inquire about getting solar panels installed. The person who answered the call took all my information and even looked up my house on Google Earth. She asked if Solar City could call me for promotional purposes and I said no. She told me if I did not agree to be called for promotional purposes she could not connect me to a salesperson. I wonder if I have to agree to that to test drive a Tesla as well. I have never heard of a business that will not talk to you about their product or services without agreeing to have them call you for promotional services.

Resolution In Progress

Hello Colleen,

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We are deeply sorry that you feel lied to. The type of contract you signed up for is a Power Purchase Agreement, which means that your bill will fluctuate from month to month depending on the amount of power the system generates. Given that you live in Texas, your bill will be higher in the summer and lower in wintertime. Overall, your production from solar will offset enough energy to provide you average yearly savings. If you feel that this is not the case after one year, we'd be happy to conduct a thorough savings analysis in November. You can reach us at 888-765-2489 if you have any further concerns.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

So I paid Solar City 374.00 this month and then my lower electric bill of 105.00... I was so lied to. Yes my "electric bill" is lower but Solar City fails to say much on what you are going to be paying them. I have NEVER paid 479.00 for one month of electricity... BEWARE PEOPLE.

The salesman came to my house and said, "Your electric bill will cut in half." I signed up and now my bill is triple. Please my hardworking home owner stay away from solar energy or you will be paying their salary for 20 years. Solar City is nothing but SCAM and ripped off company. I'm going to a start a petition online to bring a class action lawsuit against Solar City next month. Please contact your local media and tell them to broadcast on the air. I'm talking to a journalist on Fox25 regarding them now. My bill is triple with them. I provide them my old National Grid bills to their representative and she saw it and admit that Solar City bill is too high. She mentioned you should have stay with the Grid instead. I have on tape.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SolarCity?

Solar City installed solar panels on our roof in November, 2016, and we have yet to save any money. We signed the twenty-year contract which is a big mistake. If you are considering this company, check into articles stating that they are being investigated by Congress, Senate, and treasury department. I was told by Solar City that what the salesperson told me was considered private communication. The salesperson assured us that along with the $150.00 payment to Solar City our payment to our electric company would not exceed $12.00 per month. This was a total misrepresentation. Please read the contract carefully before you sign.

I am very dissatisfied with Solar City as they are still not hooking me up and it will be 1 year since I talked to the salesman and signed up. Still having same old story working on finance. After it was installed in May. 2017 and we started in Oct. 2016. Now is the first of Aug. with no hookup yet.

If you are considering getting a system from SolarCity ask them one question and get it in writing: "When this is done what percentage of energy usage will my system be generating?" In my case I am now told just %30. I have read many reviews, and talked to a notary who came out refi my house a week ago, and the unanimous report I get is that SolarCity intentionally misleads you to think that you are going to save on your bill to your local electric but in my case, I just determined that I am still being billed $200 a month by Southern California Edison. For me, I read the reviews, and thought, well, it couldn't happen to me. I can tell you I even have emails where I warned the salesman and systems designers not to play me or they could come get their panels.

Well now that it's too late, I am screwed so far 3 months into the tune of $600 to SCE plus paying Solar City 50 a month. In other words, my bill before the panels is the same as after. 0 savings when you combine the two together. Customer service, as many have reported, are completely disinterested in helping you. I put my "Customer Care" person on Facebook Live and am hoping it goes viral so everyone can see how little they actually do care. She kept making condescending rude dismissive noises and even after I asked her to stop she kept on doing it anyway. It took a week for them to call me back, and then she wouldn't even let me talk to a supervisor. This company needs to be investigated FTC. Too many similar experiences say to me these guys are into predatory and false business behaviors.

UPDATED ON 08/19/2017: After talking for the last month and attempting to get a resolution on my situation SolarCity (Michael) now admits they made too small of a system and should not have based it off of one month in December. They admit I was promised 85% production but am in fact getting only 30% due to their error. They offered to give me a 250.00 refund to the 1000 and growing balance I owe SCE and offered a discount on an additional system to lower my rates.

This system will not be installed for a year in order give them sufficient data to design the system (which they should have done in the first place). Then, they tried to tell me that I should be grateful as I am still getting a $50 a month decrease as it is now. When I reminded him that I pay them $62 a month for the system already, and so I actually am getting literally 0 savings he didn't have much to say except that this was a "take it or leave it offer" from the "executive committee."

I did counter I wanted at least 500 cash and a guarantee that I pay no more than $70 a month for the new system and mentioned that I have been looking in to joining class action lawsuits that are out there against this company for a variety of fraudulent business practices. He seemed to imply they might go for it as he did say if I agree to this I won't pursue anything further, but I hung up on him and said let me know. I am in contact with several attorneys at this time. The nerve. He reminded me I have a lien against my house for the panels and if I remove them or damage I will be held liable (while they continue to provide 0 saving for the next year while I pay them & the electric company). If they come to your door, slam it in their face.

Terrible experience. Was told my electric bills would be approx $21 a month... This month's Bill was $110.00 And my SOLAR Bill is also $110.00 a month. I live in Arizona... more specifically in the Valley of the Sun. Constant sunshine. Terribly disappointed. Can't wait till my lease is over. Paid less before I had the panels put on my house. Customer service is terrible and my sales rep is MIA.

We have had SolarCity for a few years. When we sat down with the salesperson we made sure to ask 2 questions. The first is how much we would save? The second question was, what if we move and what's the cost? The sales rep said we would save 25% off of our current PGE bill. In reality we have seen about a 10% savings so far. His response to the transfer was full of it. He said that we could transfer the lease or we could take the solar with us. Even showed us on the contract where it says we can take it with us as long as the utilities at the new place were compatible. The warranty would be the same and we would have to pay the lease for the 2-6 months while they were waiting to install at the new place.

We decided to sell our house and buy a new one. We called SolarCity to start the transfer and everything was fine. We were informed of the $499 fee and the fee for new install of $499. We're good. Then I get a call saying they cannot transfer the system because they cannot take all the panels. I would be charged $24,000 since the buyer of our house didn't want solar. I call up SolarCity and talk to Tawnia in the Transfer department and she gave me a list of conditions that are nowhere to be found in the contract. Her exact words, and SolarCity can pull up the conversation because they record everything, she said, "Well they aren't going to list everything in the agreement."

Now I asked her where did I approve to have 34 panels on my house when my wife and I do not use that much electricity? She said we should have said something when we saw it completed. I told her I did and the techs said they installed a larger system in case we wanted to build a pool or expand or use more energy. 34 panels for a 1600 sq ft house with 8 foot ceilings. A house where my wife and I are home from 6 pm until 6 am. Come to find out that techs and installers were being paid by the amount of panels they put in. So long story short, she couldn't find anywhere where I agreed to this many panels or where it said I had to take all the panels. I'm awaiting for a call for the 4th time today from a manager as my situation is being escalated... again.

We close on both homes on the 28th of July. Because of SolarCity I am about to lose thousands in costs of buying and selling a home and if they do not remove these panels I will lose the buyer of my current home and will have to back out of purchasing my new home all because of their shady tactics. If you are considering purchasing Solar, please learn from my mistake and do not use SolarCity under any circumstances. Attached is a picture of the contract that talks about transferring. Section 12 a ii.

Well I signed a lease with SolarCity last year in June of 2016. I just sold my house and got a bill from SCE for over 1200.00 dollars. So I called SolarCity and they said my design was set for 6 panels and so that it is only running 31% solar energy not at 100%. What I didn't know my house was supposed to have 21 panels installed to run at 100%. So over the course of a year the rest of my energy was being pulled from SCE. Which is why I have a huge bill to pay.

So I asked SolarCity why would I sign a contract with only 31% solar energy being used?? So the CSR stated, "Well you signed it for 6 panels" and I told her, "Why would I do that??" So I was misrepresented during this whole lease agreement thinking I was at 100% but was getting 31% solar energy. Total ** and I'll never recommend this company to anyone. DON'T SIGN A CONTRACT WITH THEM!! TOTAL FRAUD!!! SIGNED FROM TOTALLY PISSED OFF CUSTOMER!! They don't care how they get their commission!!!

SolarCity installed my system on Jan 27. I came home that day and my power was cut. It was extremely cold that night and we went for an entire day without power. It is now June 28 and the system is still not connected to the grid. I finally went to the county to check on the permits myself and ask that they re-submit the permits to PNM. I called PNM myself to get the installation of the meter scheduled. I have called and complained and nobody at SolarCity wanted to do anything about this. I called on June 21 and asked to have a supervisor call me back but I still have not heard from anyone. SolarCity has a concierge team that really does nothing but call you and read the status of the file back to you. They are useless and I would not recommend this company to anyone. Who knows if the system will even work if it ever gets connected to PNM.

I signed a lease agreement with SolarCity to install a solar system on my home. We sold our home a year later and I was told that I could have the panels relocated to the home we would be purchasing for a "nominal" fee. During our search for a home we carefully chose a house that had excellent solar exposure and no trees to that would interfere with the panels. When I contacted SolarCity to try to come and inspect the house I could never get a commitment from SolarCity to conduct an inspection. No one ever came out to inspect the home, but instead I got a call informing me that the panels could not be transferred and that I was have to pay $38,000 to buy out my lease and return the panels to SolarCity.

After several frustrating phone calls I was finally told that the reason I could not relocate the panels was because the roof of the new house was not big enough to accept all of the panels. There is no mention anywhere in the contract that I signed that indicated that all of the panels had to be transferred. This appears to be a predatory practice to rip off the consumer.

We put solar panels on our home in 2012. The papers work we signed was a pre-purchased power agreement. At the time we were told our contract was a lease and we had a different agreement exhibit from the regular PPA that was provided to us. The difference in the two was that a standard pap had a settle up amount and ours gave us over production of power at no cost. We enjoyed over production of power from 2012 until now and SolarCity has decided that the exhibit amendment no longer applies and we now owe them money for over production of power.

We would never have agreed to put solar on our house if we were going to have to pay beyond the prepaid production amount. I feel like we are held hostage by this corrupt company. Their customer service representative sent me a copy another person’s contract. Our original contract was sent in a binder with the amendments showing exhibit for the lease clearly stating over production was ours to keep for free, but the company is now saying that we got that as a mistake. We never would have prepaid for power if there was going to be ongoing costs.

I’d not recommend this company to anyone. The company also tried to have us pay for the Oregon tax credit saying we never paid it despite providing copies of the paid amount. We were called weekly for over three months. I sent them multiple copies of the paid receipts, up they kept telling me I owed them $2975. It wasn't until I filed a complaint through the Oregon attorney general’s office did they finally stop harassing us insisting we needed to pay for the RETC again. But now they have come up with this new way to extort money from us. They say our agreement isn't a PPA lease, but rather one that requires we pay for over production of power. If I could go back I would never do business with SolarCity. The company is unethical and picks and chooses what paperwork they want to honor.

Got installed about 4 years ago. First the positives: Didn't cost us a thing for the product or installation and every month is roughly $20-$30 a month in savings. The negatives: When the salesman 'sold' us on this product we were promised huge savings. We had $300-$400 AC bills a month every summer. We were 'guaranteed' those would go down to about $50 a month. I confirmed this 2 to 3 times. The first summer was about $30 a month SAVINGS not BILLS. When I called to complain/find out why had to leave messages - customer service didn't know how to help and wouldn't answer my questions.

No one ever called me back. No one ever explained why others that are leasing their solar panels have $20 to $30 bills during the summer (for everything - electricity & solar bill) and why ours has been barely a savings. I called so many times with no response - I just gave up. After all it didn't cost us anything and it was saving a little. But nothing like what we were promised. So to anyone who has been told similar lies - listen up - they are lies.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have had these solar panels since 2011. It's the worst experience I have ever had in my life. I live in southern Arizona and I cannot run my air conditioning during the hours of 12-7 because those are my savings hours with the local power company APS. So from 12-7, my a/c is off. My electric bill this month is 152.00 and a 193 lease with Solar City and this comes out to 345. I was set up with a 74% offset and when we did our paperwork with Amy originally we were never given an option to offset 100% of the energy that we use. If we had that option obviously that is what we would have done. I have seen no savings on our end whatsoever. After the 20 years, my lease will almost be 400 a month and that isn't including what I pay APS. So by the end of my lease, I will be extra screwed. I will be paying through the nose by the end of our lease.

Solar City has been out to my home numerous times because I refuse to refer anyone to them and they come knocking on our door to find out why and then they do an energy audit. This last energy audit they told me I get most of my savings in the evening hours. No way those are the hours that APS has their low-cost use and I take advantage of my APS plan. That was the only input they had for me is that I am saving so much at night time. The time previous to this Troy came out to help us and we had to pay an extra 15,000 for something he had sold us through Easy Energy and that unit is sitting in my backyard now for our chickens to roost on. I have just been screwed left and right with energy savings. I was better off to have left our current situation alone and just stayed with our electric company APS and never got involved with Solar City.

Today I get a text reading that my account is past due because they tacked on a 15.00 fee for not using a checking account and other than that payment is current. Just a huge hassle that I wish I had never done. There is no resolution with this company and they always tell me that it is working just fine. When I have the techs come to my home they tell me I need to use the A/C during the daytime because I will save so much. No one pays my bill and I'm not running my air conditioning during the day because I am not paying 400 a month to APS on top of my lease. That is a no win for me. I would love to have the kinds of savings that they offer consumers now where they pay a flat rate to APS of about 20.00 a month and their lease payment but since I was never offered that option I just stay in the screwed boat.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

When Solar City first installed solar panels we were not pleased with the results. We were still getting $100 + APS bills. Solar City agreed to add panels to make the system more efficient! They came, they installed, and the additional panels were finally turned on. Now all of a sudden we received two bills, one for $59.00 and another for OVER $150.00! I was under the impression that we would be combining the two sections together and getting ONE bill! This is RIDICULOUS. We wouldn't be paying that much WITHOUT the solar panels! Nobody at Solar City will help. We really got screwed. WHO CAN HELP???

I purchased a home one year ago and transferred the SolarCity contract. During the transfer, the customer service was extremely responsive. I have been satisfied with the performance of the system and I realize a small savings each month and also reduce my energy footprint. For the first six months, online billing was available and efficient. About six months ago the billing portal began to undergo an "upgrade". It remains offline and attempts to contact the billing department are frustrating experiences. They ask you to leave your number and you will be called back within 48 hours. They did attempt to reach me after 46 hours, however I was unable to take the call. That put me right back where I started, leaving my number for a return call within 48 hours.

The reason for my inquiry was to request a statement of my account since I believe they failed to apply a payment. I then requested a statement via email which resulted in a return email indicating that my request would be addressed. I have since sent in payment via US mail. This payment took 18 days to clear my bank. I received a subsequent invoice charging me an additional late fee.

Product performance has been satisfactory, billing department/customer service is terrible. Their failure to maintain an online billing portal and forcing customers to use US Postal Service for remittance is contradictory to a solar company's supposed commitment to the environment. I would love to be more supportive of SolarCity, but I cannot do so until they demonstrate more responsibility to their customers and the environment.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Horrible organization. Very disorganized. Terrible follow-thru. I believe that SolarCity has set up their customer non-service department so that they can just deflect away the problems they cause and eventually frustrate the consumer to the level that they just give up. SolarCity, I told you that you jacked with the wrong guy and this review is just the start of what I am about to do. The only reason I listened to your sales pitch was because I wanted to reduce my expenses. You sold me on a system for my home and never even sent someone out to actually look at my home. Everything went smoothly in the SALES side of things. I was important to you then.

I was promised a system that would reduce my $250+ electric bill (per month) to under $60 per month. Contracts were signed and on install day, your guy tells me that my roof is too steep to install on. We discussed it and I asked if the system would fit on my sunroom. You installed, checked the support beams to make sure it would hold it and came back to me with a yes. Installation began and was completed. Not even a mention that the system he was going to install was only a fraction of the size of what was agreed to. Weeks later I find out that the system installed wouldn't even cover 10% of my energy usage. I have talked to so many "supervisors" and several of them have acknowledged that mistakes were made and apologized to me for what happened, but none of them had the power to do anything to fix it. Everyone says they are sorry, but not sorry enough to actually fix the problems. Get used to seeing my name because I am not going away...

I was presented with a solar system lease agreement and was told it would cover 104% of my electric usage based on my previous 12 months of utility bills and I would only pay a small service fee to my local utility company. In 3 years that has never happened. Unfortunately the actual contract has our estimated production LOWER than our actual usage. I have contacted SolarCity numerous times since the system was turned on in 2014. Most recently I have been dealing with Ryan, a customer relations specialist. He had a tech come to my home, who did NOT check the inverters, but pulled the DG meter (he isn't supposed to do this, it belongs to the utility company), rewired it and claimed it was wired incorrectly to begin with. When I told the utility company he was there and what he was doing they informed me he should not be touching it at all. He panicked and pulled it again and put the wires back the way they were.

I had the utility company come out to check it as well. They actually ran diagnostic tests and said it was fine and that it was not wired incorrectly. It actually would short out the system if it was. When I told Ryan this and that I had some serious concerns that the inspection done by SolarCity's tech wasn't reliable, I was asked to send in 48 months worth of utility bills for a cost analysis because that was the only thing left available to help me. I asked if he would be able to furnish me with the cost analysis in writing so that I could review it and was told no, that it would be a verbal confirmation from him that everything was fine. I followed up with an email detailing why this made me uncomfortable based on the incompetencies already demonstrated by the employees I had interacted with already.

The lack of proof reading and grammatical errors made it difficult for me to understand and showed a significant lack of care in his response to me. We have gone back and forth numerous times now and nothing is actually being done. My frustration level has bypassed my ability to be professional at this point and I have since had to request that he contact my husband instead of me. At this point I just want the equipment removed and for us to go our separate ways. I want nothing more than to never have to deal with Ryan again, who would appear to say anything to appease me no matter if it is honest or not.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was agreed with the price for SolarCity 6.3 kW solar system with SolarEdge SE6000A-US Inverter and LG 315 KW panels. After the installation, I found out they install the SolarEdge SE5000A-US and used SolarCity SC325 panels. I had agreed to pay extra when the salesperson stated that he is going to give me better unit which is SE6000A-US. He also send me the model number of the inverter and the panels and area going to be install. At first SolarCity give me the Delta Solivia 5.2 TL, I almost going to cancel the contract, then they agree to redesign with SolarEdge SE6000A-US.

Now SolarCity stated that the company is giving me an upgrade without paying extra on the system because the panel is 325KW instead 315KW. I believe when you buy a car with V6 engine and you are driving out the dealer lots with 4 cylinder engine. What are you going to do? That mean this company is a liar and cheat on you. Luckily I am using cash to purchase and will not pay the 1st 50% payment after the installation before they give me the unit which I am agree and purchase for.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

As a renter, I entered into a lease agreement with SolarCity and my then Landlord who need to sign off on the agreement. Due to unforeseen circumstances and a loss business and yes income I had to move from the residence where the panels were installed. I made contact with SolarCity and started the process to transfer the panels and provided SolarCity with $499.00 removal fee for the panels to be removed and stored until I could work out the details of the new location and re-install. Months passed of us going back and forth without any action to remove panels from home of previous residence so I stop making payments. Several months later I was refunded my $499.00 and signed documents to be removed from the lease.

However, recently I have been getting bills stating that I owe the monthly lease while someone else is living in the home benefitting from panels that should be removed from the home unless the homeowners are going to take on full responsibility of the lease/payments and all. I want the panels removed and put into storage if I am going to pay for a lease. I believe that SolarCity mislead me and the then homeowner by stating that I could store the panels until I got place where I could pay $499.00 more to have them re-installed.

Now that the homeowners and their new tenant is benefitting from the panels at the previous residence they should assume full payment of lease and ownership of panels and my name should be completely removed. I have no way of getting the panels and no way of stopping the current renter from gaining from something that should not be a part of their living space. Now everyone continues to pass the buck and I am the only one to lose by having my no payments reported. I moved out of the residence on January 27th 2016.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Save yourself the frustration. Use a different company!!! My husband has called repeatedly without a callback. SolarCity was very attentive until after the inspection. We never heard a word back. After many calls someone in customer service said the electrical box would have to be replaced at a cost of $1000. My husband requested a callback from someone to talk about it. No one has ever called back to explain the reason, process or options. After I explained that we have had no call or explanation from anyone to the SolarCity representative in our local Home Depot, we finally received a voicemail from Dave that it was being worked on and an email from Lex on the same day saying you will not assist in cost.

My husband called back the same day leaving messages for a callback. Again no response. The lack of service and response is incredibly frustrating. We were originally sold on their product and service promises. That is why we chose to do our business with SolarCity. We have an existing relationship. We pay our bills. How do we get to speak to an actual, knowledgeable representative, who will explain and work towards a solution?

Hello Adam,

We appreciate you taking the time to express your concerns with us and apologize for how things have gone with your project. Upon looking into your account, we see that you are currently working with our Customer Relations Manager, and hope that we are able to come to a satisfactory resolution for you.

Original review: June 6, 2017

SolarCity has been a nightmare to work with. My system was installed over a year ago and has yet to be activated. SolarCity also left an open hole in my backyard for 6 months with a damaged electrical cable they hit while trenching. Apparently my Solar rep quit and my file was allowed to linger without any action for 9 months even with me repeatedly calling to check the progress. Every time I would call the agent would act concerned, but there was never any follow through. The hole was fixed immediately when I threatened a lawsuit. SolarCity sold me on the price and rates of the nema 1 program, but stalled the project so long that the original interconnect documents became invalid and they want me to sign the nema 2 contract at additional expense to me. I have never felt so betrayed by a company before. I truly feel like a number to SolarCity.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have been online for about a month now, and am happy with my results. Looks like it is going to work as I thought it would. My biggest concern is I did not get a Power Guide Usage Meter, since the program was stopped. I feel like this is something that I need to really track my electrical usage.

After my panels were installed, I happened to start having electrical issues in just one area of my home. After checking all the breakers and finding them to be OK, I chalked it up to something that the Solar install team had done. I called my SolarCity rep and they had an electrician there within an hour. It turned out it had nothing to do with the solar install and it was just a loose wire in one of my outlets on the wall that was having issues. The SolarCity electrician fixed it for me in 10 minutes and went on his way with no charge. Once again, the issue wasn't even SolarCity's fault, but they were still willing and able to help me out. Great company!

The SolarCity staff's performance in all phases of our project was excellent. The project completion was on schedule without incident. Currently our production is better than estimated... it doesn't get better than that! The most difficult part of the process was trying to be patient in the permitting and inspection period taken by the involved utility company and the city. Even though that time period was correctly estimated by SolarCity!

I have panels running for about 2 months. I will hit my first MWh this month. I have not had to pay for electricity since I got them. SolarCity is easy to work with and quick with responses. I wish there was a way around the electric companies to make installation easier and quicker.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Within a month after having our panels installed, our roof began leaking directly under the solar panels footings. We contacted SolarCity and they sent out a tech crew. They made some repairs to the roof. The next big rain the same location was still leaking. SolarCity sent out another crew and they did some more patching. The next big rain, the roof was leaking in the same location again, but worse than ever. I called SolarCity and they sent out another crew. Each time we were told that this was SolarCity's issue and they would resolve the matter at no charge due to the roof warranty.

Again they claimed to fix the issue, and the next rain the water damage was so bad that the drywall actually came down and I was able to video the exact location where the water was coming through. SolarCity again came out and "repaired" the roof then sent out a subcontractor to repair the drywall. The subcontractor showed up and refused to do the repair because they said the roof was not properly repaired. We are now two years later still dealing with the same leak. I finally told SolarCity that I would get my own roofer out to fix their issue. The SolarCity contact said that would be fine and SolarCity would remove the panels at no cost to us so our contractor and that SolarCity would start the paperwork now so everything would be in order.

When it came time to have the panels removed a month and a half later, SolarCity would not respond to my calls and emails. When I finally got in touch with someone, they told me I would have to pay to have the panels removed and the drywall was my problem. I said that 4 different SolarCity crews came out and told us this was their issue and the repairs would be done at no cost to us. The phone rep said "Did you get that in writing?" I could not believe my ears. How could 4 different crews tell me the same thing then now it is my issue. The rep promised to expedite the issue and over a week later, I am back at square one again. Being told sorry they dropped the ball AGAIN and they will start the paperwork again. I have heard this all before... over and over the past 2 and a half years and I still have a leaking roof and sagging drywall.

The first couple times the ball got dropped I thought maybe it was just a fluke, but now after hearing the same thing over and over again, I'm beginning to think this is their business model. At this point I would never ever do business with SolarCity again and do not recommend their service to anyone. I'm actually quite sick that I have a Model S on order. If I could cancel it I would. This company does not deserve any more of my business.

I originally decided to lease solar after talking with SolarCity rep that stopped me at a local home depot. The rep came to my house to do a site plan. After hearing about all of the incentives, Federal and New Jersey SREC's, I decided to buy instead. The SolarCity rep told me that his company would draw up the contract and electronically send it to me for me to sign the highlighted areas stating that I would receive the federal incentive and the New Jersey SREC's for 15 years. I was very happy at this point. The contract was sent, I signed on the highlighted areas, the solar panels were installed. I was delightfully impressed with SolarCity at this time.

About 7 weeks later, I was contacted by a rep at NJ Clean Energy Program stating that there was a discrepancy of the ownership of the SREC's. I was baffled at this point. I went back and looked at my DocuSign contract and there it was. SolarCity put themselves as the owner of the SREC's. I thought it must be a typo. I contacted the SolarCity rep that came to my house and he was surprised also because we agreed verbally that I would be the owner of the SREC's and the contract that I was to sign would reflect this. I trusted them a little too much and just looked at the highlighted areas for me to sign and didn't see that they put themselves as the SREC owner.

I then contacted the SolarCity Concierge that was assigned to my case. She told me that there was nothing they would do to change the SREC ownership. Now I am seeking legal options to make SolarCity do the right thing. I am a simple person who agreed to a contract verbally in "Good Faith" and was deceived by SolarCity in the DocuSign contract. I am writing this so if you purchase from SolarCity, this doesn't happen to you.

SolarCity Company Profile