1.14/5

Looking for a solar energy company?

This company is out of businessFIND OTHER COMPANIES

Since 2006, SolarCity has strived to be the national leader in clean energy services and has become America’s largest solar provider. We specialize in residential and commercial solar systems. We provide energy at a lower cost than paying for energy generated by burning coal, oil and natural gas.

Our mission is to see millions adopt clean energy services, which in the long run will save them from rising electricity costs. We will work with you through the entire process and will provide ongoing monitoring and repair services. Call today for more information!

View More View More

566 SolarCity Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 21, 2019

SolarCity never honored my service agreement when panels stopped working. Now two years later and no reimbursement! They keep telling me the check is in the mail since September of 2018 and we are now April 2019. The end of 2017 my utility bills seemed high then by mid 2018 I contacted SolarCity. They said my panels went out. It took until October for them to change my panels but they have still to cash reimburse me for the loss of use as stated in the performance contract. They keep saying check is in the mail. Don't use SolarCity, now Tesla.

Original review: April 19, 2019

Solar City Agent explained how the contract works... 1) Solar Panels were installed on North side of the roof while sun comes on South side most of the year. obvious result production is low. 2) Two months we had high energy bills and when called they said because your meter was off. Don't they have any way to notice and notify customer to check the obvious?

3) We had a hail in Texas last year and roof needed to be replaced so I call Tesla to remove panels and their response was they are not schedule anyone until 2019 (five months away) so I said let's make schedule after that and response was we cannot do it now. Ridiculous thing ever! 4) They asked me to higher someone to remove panels and they suggested subcontractor that charge $3500 to just uninstall the panels. 5) I had to pay to remove the panels and they also expect you to pay your monthly bill regardless of panels on roof or not. 6) Now, it's over six months there are no panels on the roof (they are sitting in the backyard) and they are not sending anyone to install them. Now, that I stop paying they are calling every day for the payment and threatening to report to credit bureau. What a rip off business?

Get expert buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 11, 2019

All went well my installation ~2 years ago. I was very happy with the process but 2 years on things have changed: #1: my estimated production was 14,000 kilowatts but the actual production has been 11,000 Kilowatts which is significantly worse than estimated. #2: I just found out that my local town never issued a CO once the project was completed. I had the building inspector come by. There were 3 issues that needed to be resolved. Special stickers need to be placed on a conduit and electric meter and they need a certificate of inspection. I then called Tesla/SolarCity and the customer service person said the operations team would need to handle it and would email them. It has been a week and I have not heard from the them.

In addition, they did not know what an installation certificate was. When I asked them to contact the building department they said they "do not call the city to ensure completion." I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told that it would take 24 to 72 hours to get a call back. When I asked how was my problem going to be resolved the representative said that she would have to wait for the operations department to get back to me but she did not know when that would be. She said to try back tomorrow. They were very good on the install but on the follow up terrible. Do not use. They are not the only solar company in town.

Original review: March 29, 2019

I had to assume a PPA when I bought my house. SolarCity's contract guy couldn't send me the right agreement 4 times, so my title company had to do it for him. Now that we're done the monitoring device stopped working. So I get an email telling me the monitoring system isn't working. So I respond with, "Great, how do I fix it?" Nothing. For 3 weeks. Then I finally get an email from some guy saying he's created a "case" for me. What does that mean? Is someone going to call? Come fix it? What? He writes back - "Well, that's why I also gave you a number to call during business hours - I don't actually know if the case will do anything or when." Holy cow! Seriously? Why even bother then???

Original review: March 21, 2019

So we paid off the solar panels in full, because their billing department and inability to get a billing portal was mind boggling and extremely frustration to deal with. 1.5 years after assuming the panels they still hadn't gotten our billing portal up, never apologized once, and forced me to call in monthly (with 5-20 minute wait times) to pay manually. Also, the energy they charge for is more expensive than the utility company. When I told them this was the case they acted surprised like it had never happened before, said they would escalate, and never called back. That was a recurring theme actually - they would never follow up on escalations and, after asking more than 10 times for a supervisor to contact me, one never did. I gave it two stars because the panels work, everything else is trash. Stay away from this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SolarCity?

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

SolarCity is the worst decision of my life and is now costing me 30,000. I was lied to from day one!!! No savings at all. My electric bills were more than double. I'm a single mom and because my bills have been outrageous I've been forced to sell my house of 12 years. I will still need to pay out the lien they put on my home at closing. I worked so hard for my family and now all the equality in my home will go to a crooked corporate company. All because I wanted to save money so badly I believed the lies. They told me it would be easy to transfer but that's not true either and NO ONE wants to take over such a horrible lease.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

SolarCity installed my panels three years ago 12/2015. During this time I have had multiple issues with my Furnace unit which vents outside of the home through roof. I had noted multiple headaches and severe debilitating stomach issues over past few years during winter months when I use the Furnace but never realizing what was going on until just today. My System, during inspection, appears in good working order however the contractor whom installed the panels on my roof moved my Furnace vent on top of roof to accommodate panels in such damaging the vent. There is no other entities that could of damaged this and SolarCity moved the entire vent!

The sole purpose is for the Carbon Monoxide to exit the home and long term exposure can cause debilitating lifelong health issues. When I contacted SolarCity now owned by Tesla they said unless I have a Lawyer they do not and will not compensate me for my repairs to the damage they did nor will they deal with me. Still paying for darn panels that under-perform and so disappointed by customer service. I need lawyer obviously.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I have had my panels for 2 years. In that time, I have never received my 15k rebate from them, resulting in my payment going up, and it is not communicating with the power company. As a result, I am paying more than double what I was pre panels and SolarCity is literally impossible to get ahold of. I have been calling constant for 2 YEARS and they never follow through with helping me AT ALL. I need to pay the power company, otherwise they will turn off my power and I need to pay for the panels otherwise it will go into collections. I am held hostage and could not be more frustrated and sick over this.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Greetings Gentlemen of Green Energy; I have selected the three of you specifically because of your positions with SolarCity/Tesla. You see, I have a problem. I have a new solar system activated last September 2017 after a lengthy contract negotiation and installation that encompassed about a year and a half. What's the problem? Well the system and product are fantastic and generating more energy than promised, however, the installation was not done well, at all, and has caused EXTREME damage to my home. I thought I had a fantastic warranty, it covered so much! I did not consider the "people are jerks factor" though. I really wish I had insisted on a clause in my warranty that would have fixed this but here I am after four months of back and forth with your not so stellar customer service people trying to avoid taking responsibility.

I have all of this communication saved for the possibility of having to get serious in order to enforce my rights under said warranty and Arizona Consumer Protection Statutes. I am prepared to file with the ROC and Attorney General if necessary to get this ball rolling. I do not want to go this route if we do not have to. Which brings us all together here so I can attempt one more time with some people above the phone lifters that I have been subjected to thus far in my plight.

This is where I will tell you about my specific problem. My roof is seven years young, never a leak or problem. Until one day a Solar company comes along. We entered into an agreement a binding contract and the install begins! Fast forward one year and one month, setting is Phoenix AZ. We do not receive much rain here and when it does rain it's really just a sprinkle here and there, save for the rare wet storm. However, in October of 2018 it rained, A LOT, for three days straight in fact. This amount of rain was enough to alert me to a distinct odor of wet wood, mildew, funk etc... Upon further inspection I found that I had an area of my home with a large stain at the ceiling. Enter my not so great homeowner's insurance. I will spare you all of this nightmare except to say they would not look beyond the ground level and I am seriously embroiled in a battle with them because...

My solar warranty does not allow for anyone to touch the system or it will void the warranty. I can gain permission to have someone do so but this is where the problem grows. You see, as I stated before, the problem is the install so I must preserve the evidence of this in order to hold your company accountable since so far no one will give me the time of day. Unfortunately this puts me and my family of six in a very difficult position. I am out of time with my insurance and they are worthless, I've discovered, in protecting my family and home. So I am currently interviewing lawyers to assist in enforcing my rights with them, but we still cannot proceed with repair until the solar issue is recorded and preserved properly; or until you actually stand up and do what is right to save us all some time and money.

What is it that I am seeking from you three specifically? Well, one of you is a litigator, well versed in the rights of the consumers and the laws regarding contracts and warranties. Another a founder and high titled executive with binding interest for the success of your company and finally the third, the ringleader of all the phone lifters at the specific location that I have had the unpleasant and unprofessional experience of having to deal with over the past four months. All while being under extreme stress dealing with this problem that has taken my home and consumed me and my life so fully that I feel as if I am not repairing an issue with my home, but fighting to regain my life as I know it!

What have I presented to show you that I am correct in making this accusation? Not much yet I suppose but the rest of this letter and all of the attachments will round that out for us. So let's begin, shall we? On October 22, 2018 after first alerting your people to my concern I had Casey come out to look at the issue. He happily entered my attic and supplied me and my insurance with his finding that it was wear and tear around the A/C causing the damage and his opinion that I should hold my roofer accountable. Suspicion alert number one, why? My roof never leaked in seven years, why all of a sudden would it so dramatically?

You see at this point it was becoming clear to me that all of my home had damage, EVERY ROOM! So how does one point of entry cause water damage to extend so far? Suspicious alert number two. So I asked him, "Do you see any other point of entry major or minor?" To which he replied not that he could see and added the repair on roof is minor but the damage to my home beneath will be costly. This conversation took place via text (which I have saved). I should note I have been collecting picture evidence weekly since October 5th and only communicated via text or email for the entire process with all parties even the contractors and environmental specialists that I sought.

I reached out to Casey again on November 2nd 2018 to advise. I now had gained enough knowledge and evidence that I felt SolarCity was responsible and I wanted to provide that documentation and formally open a claim. He responded by stating he empathized with our plight but we would have to contact customer service. Why? Because he is just an electrician, he said. He was not capable of handling a roof issue. Wait! What did he just say? Suspicious alert number three. So why was an electrician sent to inspect and document a roof issue?

Ok, so this is where I did notify customer service. Several times as a matter of fact and the games began. I like games, I am quite good at Scrabble, volleyball and yes, even psychological games of one-upmanship. I do enjoy a smart and sporting banter but these CS professionals you have employed to fend off cost are not very good at this game, rendering it boring and fruitless. So I have moved on to greater opponents.

This is what brings the four of us together today! So, the ball is now in your court. How shall we proceed? Will you engage in this game at a more challenging level or will you call an end to this mess by acting with integrity and taking responsibility for your installers inability to properly affix the system to my roof without error causing absolute destruction; and thereby, graciously allow my family to be free from this awful experience, repair our home and resume our lives? I am looking forward to your responses and hoping you will act in good faith! Thank you for your time, definitely, if you have made it to the end of this letter. With much appreciation! Your warrantied customer.

P.S. Phone not provided because I want to continue my chain of accountability and please, don't forget to see the illuminating attachments which are just a few select highlights of the plethora that I hold in my pocket. As I was unable to send this letter to anybody within the company, I decided I would post it here in hopes that it will receive some attention for the time I put into creating it. I would also like to save any consumers some grief and dealing with this company.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

We purchased a home in 2017 that has SC panels and assumed the contract. I've been tracking the cost of electricity generated by the panels vs. what we consume from PGE under an EV rate plane. SC is costing us 28% more per kwh (0.28 vs. 0.22).

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Have lived in our house 14 years. Have had the solar panels about 2 years. Pigeons have roosted in the panels in the last year. Tesla/Solar City did send out a company that made cages so the pigeons cannot get under the panels but will not assist with anything between or around the panels so still have pigeons on the roof causing a ton of bird waste on the sidewalk next to the house. Was told they only protect the wiring and the panels and will not assist with anything further.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I made a reservation to have a rep from SolarCity come to my home for a site inspection to determine appropriate location for installing solar panels. I was required to make a $500 refundable deposit in order to schedule an appointment. A week before the appointment, I emailed the rep to cancel the appointment. He quickly replied, "Why?" I said I changed my mind. He quickly replied, "Is it the cost?" I wouldn't go further into the conversation and simply requested a refund of my deposit. That was October 2018. Three months later, after numerous phone calls and emails to the company, and SolarCity is still dragging its feet to return my deposit. Such rotten customer service for an overpriced product. Save yourself money, regrets and grief, and AVOID THIS COMPANY LIKE THE PLAGUE.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I was approached by Tesla/Solar City at Home Depot about adding solar to my home. This was something that I had always interested me. I agreed to have rep come out and look at my house and tell me what kind of a system I could get. After the initial review it seemed apparent that my house was in a very good location and had good orientation for a high value system and we moved forward with the install.

The Good: The system works as expected and as promised. The installation took one day and overall was smooth. I had some other electrical work done after the install and that electrician commented that Tesla's work was very good. The bad, and the very, very, very ugly: Tesla sales reps lie. When they created the engineering plans for my system I was supposed to have had two Powerwalls included in the design. I was told it would take 1 week to 10 days to receive the plans for me to sign off on. That process took over a month and I had to call to follow up no less than 7 times.

Right before I was supposed to get the plans my sales rep contacted me and said, "Well we are having a supply issue on the Powerwalls you can wait for them to become available (approx July), or you can move forward with the install and we will add 5 years on to the Powerwall warranty (bumping to 15 years)." I elected to get the additional warranty and move forward with the install. Took another 3 weeks for them to generate the design for my sign off. I was told at that time that the install would occur in late April (it was now late Feb), it does take time to create the paperwork, get the permits, etc. In late April I was still fighting with them to get the contracts to my local utility for signature. My install did not actually happen until the last week in June.

During the intervening months I was forced to act as facilitator between Tesla and my power company in order to get the paperwork needed to generate the building and electrical permits. I had schedule the inspections, all of this was required of me so that I could make and install date that would ensure that I did not miss my state's incentive program and even with me calling, emailing, texting and basically pushing the process forward. I only made the incentive date cut off by 3 days.

When the powerwalls finally came available (recently) btw I was told they would be available in July (2018) I didn't get notified they were available until Jan (2019). I was told they never said I would get a 15 year warranty... Yet another lie on top of I sent that paperwork, I did that form, I submitted that permit application. All in all the PV install took approximately 6 months from the initial consult to the system being turned on, I had to call Tesla probably no less 100 times to push my install forward at every single stage. I am reasonably confident that had I not been on the phone with them 15 times a week I would not have had the install done until 3-4 after it was actually completed.

The net: Their process sucks, they have different groups for permits, contracts, utility form submission, etc. None of these groups talk to one another, it is all supposed to be facilitated through your "Sales Adviser." Perhaps there are some good advisers out there but that seems like a pretty risky gamble because mine was either over-utilized, or completely inept, based on my interactions. I'm fairly sure he was inept since it took him almost a week to send an email that he promised me each day over 4 days he had "already sent" and he couldn't understand why I hadn't received it. Turns out btw that the customer service center was able to send the exact same email which I received about 30 seconds after they said it was sent... So yeah inept.

Do yourself a favor and use a local install company that is not a gigantic corporation that is way more focused on selling cars than they are on doing solar power arrays. I have spoken with a few other companies now that I'm looking at someone else to do my battery backup install and according to them my experience is not unique. In fact it is the norm.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I signed a three-page solar contract. They guaranteed me at least $1,500 a year savings off of my regular electric bill. I was told I would be paying very minimal fees to receiving a monthly check as extra income off the extra electric I could sell. Took 6 months to actually be up and running, they damaged the tiles on my roof. Then I started receiving extremely high bills. Apparently I pay for what I produce not what I use and according to my electric company they don't have to buy any of the electric. Since 2015 I've been trying to resolve this. I'm a widowed mother of four. I was talked into the solar as a way of bringing my expenses down. I've paid up to 9 times the amount that I ever paid the electric company in a given month.

They've produced a DocuSign contract that I never even seen before that states I can never break the contract and that they can charge an estimated monthly fee even if the system isn't running. Which explains why they were charging me $400 a month for the 6 months that wasn't even up and running while I was still having to pay my regular electric company. SolarCity is a scam and I just need to lose my house over it! If anyone knows of any class action lawsuit please provide that information. I see a lot of reviews on here that are comparable to mine.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

We signed up for Tesla Solar and Powerwalls in 2017 and now it is 2019. It took 7 months to install our system that was completed in June 2018 but we are still not up and running and now it is 2019! The customer service is awful. Every time we call they promise to look into the situation and call us back or email with information. But they never respond! This has cost us thousands of dollars.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I spoke with the Las Vegas sales center (I'm based in Seattle). They designed and quoted a system that included a reroof (as my roof is old). So I signed the contract in June 2018 - then...after 5 or 6 months of delays (now in winter weather) I get an email that says that I need to pay the contracted roofer directly an additional $11,800 in order to proceed with the project! The saleswoman must have 'forgotten' to tell me that the original line item quote for the roof of $9,000 was going to change!

I had two other quotes from reputable roofing companies that my roof was in the 9 to 10,000 range to reroof. But Tesla then changed the cost for the roof to $21,800. I haven't had the rug pulled out from under me like that in a long long time. It was shocking. I have a Tesla car, and I love it, but it's totally different with Tesla Solar. Commissioned salespeople with slippery bait and switch pricing. I can't believe people think they can get away with that in 2018. Go with a local solar company, that's what I will now have to do.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Tesla SolarCity left my roof damaged. They send unprofessional unlicensed roofer to do the job or leave it damaged. Very cheap unprofessional company. Not willing to reimburse for the damage or send suspicious unlicensed contractor do the job involving homeowner in unauthorized actions.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I recently agreed to having Tesla come out and put solar panels on my roof, sales representative Kevin ** came out to my house telling me that the solar panels are going to be put on completely free of cost to me. The contract basically says that I'm going to be generating power for Tesla and they were going to be making money off my roof. That's how they made the money. That is what was sold to me. After review of the contract I saw there was a 20-year contract and then there was going to be 240 monthly payments.

I asked Kevin about this, he said all the money that is made from Tesla is coming from the energy that is produced from your roof. So I asked Kevin again, will I be receiving a bill from Tesla at all? He assured me that I would never receive a bill from Tesla, even though the contract talks about billing. The only bills that I would be receiving is through my electric company, Duquesne Light. Much to my surprise I'm receiving a bill from Tesla after the solar panels were put up and I'm producing electricity. Now trying to contact customer service is a big pain waiting on hold at minimum 15 minutes at a time, customer service Representatives refusing to put supervisors on the phone. The only thing that the customer service Representatives say is oh, why didn't you read the contract? Basically just infuriating me even more not even addressing my concerns with the lying sales representative.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

They lie in order to make a sale and then you are stuck with a company that cannot even provide good customer services. No technical support to fix a problem for a week. Run away from this company, terrible!!!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Bad experience. I am sharing my experience and why I will never deal with this company. Site surveyor called 10 mins prior to appt to reschedule cause he is running late. New surveyor came. Walked in my attic and roof. The next day furnace went out. Coincidence perhaps but no one was up there but him. House is less than 2 years old only mind you. The day of the installation he called 1 hour prior to cancel and his reason due to campfire smoke. Was is it so hard to give ample time to cancel?

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Customer service line, response, very poor. Long holds, transfers, delays, excuses for inability to send tech. Not enough personnel on phones, not enough techs. We paid in full in advance, so not billing issue. SC disconnected our service after remote diagnosis in year 6, tech on ground looked up and said squirrels are the problem, shut down our system. After many frustrating calls to SC, they finally gave us a service date 9 months later. We objected in writing, too long a wait, and now we are paying full electric bills as if no panels. SC has since upped the service date to a mere 6 mos after they shut down service.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Sales told me I would offset 96% of the electricity bill, result was less than 30%. Installation left 37% of the panels not attached. Even when fixed, production increased, but still under 40%, Made a complaint to the state who arbitrated a cheaper rate from SolarCity. It was never honored as they want a nondisclosure from me. My contract required panel cleaning by SolarCity (according to the state written report). They refuse so I will have to take them to small claims court. Customer service has lied to me and stalled me continually. Lousy lousy company.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

Shame Tesla. You guys are bunch of liars. I have installed solar panel on June. Since September the solar panel or converter is not working properly. I called them. They gave me schedule on October 5th. Then I was waiting all day. Then I called them. They said I hadn't call anyone or have any schedule. So they gave me schedule on November 20. Really? Is that customer service. When I was talking to representative I was telling her "Amanda" "I am paying you guys and you guys giving me this kind of service?" "Amanda" was, "Lie. You are not paying us" "Tesla". Really Tesla. I am not paying for the service. I got approved from bank and you "Tesla" took money from my lender and you guys don't give a ** what I paid for? I want my service done as soon as possible. People don't buy Tesla. They are all fake. They are all bunch of liars.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

We had a person come out to give us their spiel about their solar program. Was a great sales job. They wanted $500 upfront just for an estimate after their sales job. We gave them the $500 as we were given a letterhead that stated our money was fully refundable at any time for any reason... Now we have called to get our money back and they give us the runaround and are told that we will not be getting our money back. Every time we call we are on hold for 30 mins to an hour, finally get thru and told we have to talk to someone else that will have to call us back. Nobody ever calls us back. Apparently by all their ** reviews this is the only way they can make money. Don't ever consider this company. I can only imagine with their horrible customer service and non concern for people how their service would be if your panels ever needed service.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

If you are considering Solar City Run as fast as you can away from them. 5yr customer. Solar City will lie, cheat and never fulfill their obligations. Nothing but problems since I turned the panels on. Year lead times to remove and replace your panels. Really!!! In August 2018 they sent my payment back to me then had their collectors call. I explained to them if they kept sending my payment back to me I would never be able to stay current. I have never missed a payment. RUN, Run, Run as fast as you can!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

If you are looking to add solar panels to your home, run as fast as you can from any SolarCity/Tesla representative. They are wonderful UNTIL the contract is signed. Their customer service department is a joke. We call and are told they will respond and call back within 48 hours---I'm still waiting... it's been 13 MONTHS. I called again today and was told, again, they would call back within 48 hours. And, so we wait. If the customer service at my company worked this way, we wouldn't still be in business. If no response comes this time, Tesla will be able to come pick their panels up from the street in front of my house.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

We acquired a leased solar system on the home we purchased in April 2018. Since then we have had nothing but problems with the billing department for SolarCity/Tesla. When the system comes up for renewal, we will not choose to stay with this company!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I only went with SolarCity/Tesla hoping they are an established and a big company who won't be involved in lying and shady practices, but I learned a hard way that those things are no measure of company ethics and practices. In addition, they are so big that you can't fight with even if they lie to you on your face, in writing or on contract. Most people don't want to spend tens of thousands of dollars fighting their corporate lawyers on permanent payroll.

Tesla don't even care about few thousand frustrated residential customers. Just go on BBB website, I wished I had done that before, and see how many complains they have and how serious this company is in resolving legit issues and problems faced by customers. Trust me. YOU WILL BE BETTER OFF WITH A MOM AND POP SOLAR COMPANY than going through TESLA SOLAR/ENERGY.

Working with them will be a frustrating experience and full of regrets. They prey on people who are less informed, they use their name formerly SolarCity and now Tesla to legitimize their existence and reliability, which is opposite of the reality. Salespeople and engineers will lie to you in person and over the phone and make promises to you but when the system is installed you will be shocked to someone hear tell you "we are sorry" it's not in our contract, I even had written proof from their reps and they still backtracked on commitments made by their employees.

Tesla warranties are the lowest in industry, and on top of that they hide information about your solar panel system's performance that every other company provides to their customers. Tesla do that so they don't have to fulfill warranties claims because customers won't have any proof to claim problems. In addition, Tesla provide no mechanism to resolve issues, so if you have an issue or a problem you will have no way to escalate issue or able to contact supervisors/managers. Even their "Resolution Center" mentioned in contract don't return phone calls or emails.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

STAY AWAY FROM TESLA/SOLAR CITY! Unless you want your house destroyed, a useless warranty, and $1000s worth of damages that you will need to repair yourself, because they refuse to take responsibility for what they have done! I'm sorry that I ever let the salesman into my house! If you're smarter than me, you won't! This process has been going on for years now! They breached their own contract during the installation process, then tried to get me to pay for their errors.

When I told them to come pull the whole system, they changed their tune, but it looks like they screwed up my flat roof, by improperly installing the mounts. They already took responsibility and fixed it once, but now that there is more damage showing through, the documentation disappeared, the original inspector disappeared, and they deny any knowledge of responsibility. I guess my only recourse now is to lawyer up. Here is another ** company that won't stand behind the crap work that they are doing! AVOID this company like it's the plague, or you WILL be sorry!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Our system has been down for about 6 weeks (2nd time this year); Tesla is going to install a redesigned system. New system will have 19 panels vs existing system has 20 (Same production – more efficient design). I didn’t approve the new design until Tesla could explain how they are going to cover the exposed roof for the one less panel. Waiting on Tesla Operation manager to reach out to answer this question. Anybody had experience with a similar issue? How was this resolved? I don’t have a slack of extra roof tiles. Telsa Customer service line has call center long waited times (over an hour except at the 5 AM PT) opening. Thanks in advance for any insight.

SolarCity expert review by Zachary Shahan

Perhaps the largest residential solar installation company, this California-based subsidiary of Tesla manufactures and installs solar panels, servicing about 275,000 residential and commercial customers in 19 states and Washington, D.C.

• Solar panels: Called Zep solar panels, the panels have smooth skirts that adapt to the contour of the roof to protect it from harsh weather. They have no jagged edges and mounting hardware is hidden.ers.

• Installation: Supervisors of the installing team are NABCEP-certified. The process begins with a consultation where an in-house team discusses whether solar is right for you based on your energy usage and house. The team also takes up warranties, guarantees and costing, followed by the agreement signing. Most solar panel installations only take a day. After inspection and permit approval, the team then turns on the system.

• Various financing options: Homeowners, businesses, or organizations can get solar leases, PPAs, loans, or pay for their systems in cash with SolarCity.

• Leasing: SolarCity has a strong preference for solar leasing and PPAs, as it makes more money from these options. SolarCity may try to steer customers towards leasing or PPAs when it would actually be in the customer's best interest to use a loan to purchase a system.

• Acquisition: SolarCity reportedly has relatively high customer acquisition costs, which could result in higher costs for consumers.

Profile picture of Zachary Shahan
    Zachary Shahan Solar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.

SolarCity Company Information