1.04/5

Looking for a solar energy company?

This company is out of businessFIND OTHER COMPANIES

Since 2006, SolarCity has strived to be the national leader in clean energy services and has become America’s largest solar provider. We specialize in residential and commercial solar systems. We provide energy at a lower cost than paying for energy generated by burning coal, oil and natural gas.

Our mission is to see millions adopt clean energy services, which in the long run will save them from rising electricity costs. We will work with you through the entire process and will provide ongoing monitoring and repair services. Call today for more information!

View More View More

Looking for a solar energy company?

SolarCity Reviews

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

The House I'm living in is being sold. The ONLY thing holding up the closing is the lease for the solar panels. My sister contacted them and found out that our DEAD before the solar panels were put on the house grandmother's name was somehow added to the lease. I don't know or understand HOW this could happen!!! Am seriously going to have this looked at by the Better Business Bureau, ConsumerAffairs bureau And the State Attorney's office.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

I purchased property July 19, 2019 and took over the Solar System per agreement transferred to me from the previous owners. I really didn't want Solar but the house came with them or no sale. Ok. Well I never got any information from anyone about how the panels work or when I would get my first bill. After several months the first bill came. They sent me a gateway which doesn't really work so I finally reached Solar City only to find out the inverters don't work and haven't since October 18, 2019. Field Tech dispatched. Field tech came October 31, 2019 and said the inverters will all have to be replaced. He shut down my system.

Now I just got a huge electric bill and I am trying to figure out when they will repair the inverters and I can't reach anyone and whether or not I have to pay my purchase agreement if the panels aren't working....Not being able to talk with customer service really is a problem and getting answers about the problem is even worse. I have no idea when they will be fixed. They are not helpful and if I didn't call them they would not have notified me that there was a problem. I would not recommend Solar City to anyone.

Get expert buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

We bought a complete solar system from SolarCity, now known as Solarcity-Tesla. We paid the entire bill off, $48,761.87 on December 4th, 2018. THEY STILL HAVE NOT SENT A RECEIPT. All we want is a receipt. We went to refinance our home, and there is a lien on our home for the solar....IT'S PAID OFF. PAID OFF IN FULL. They need to remove the lien and send us the receipt! We've asked for a receipt repeatedly and their answer is always, "We've put a ticket in for a receipt." BUT NONE IS EVER CREATED, OR SENT TO US.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

I purchased my solar system from SolarCity back in 2016 and shortly after that Tesla bought SolarCity. A few weeks ago Tesla contacted me to advise my system was not producing as much as it should be so they sent out a technician, took about 2 weeks for him to come out. Upon his review he confirmed that my system was completely shut down, the inverter was no longer working and had to be replaced. I had contacted Solar City / Tesla several times throughout the past years as I was getting error messages and they kept telling me it wasn't their equipment, the issue was with my electric company, EverSource. Of course every time EverSource came out they told me the issue was with SolarCity/Tesla's equipment so the issue was never resolved.

Tesla gave me an estimated repair date of 9/4/2020! My system is going to be shut down for almost a year because they only have ONE repair team for the entire State of MA. I don't see how that is possible since they purchased SolarCity and they had plenty of repair technicians. Tesla also said there is nothing they will do to reimburse me for the down time. I have to pay for my electricity until the system is repaired as well as pay for the non functioning system.

They said my contract has a clause that states if I don't generate a certain number of KW in a 2 year period I'll qualify for some type of reimbursement but that doesn't address the fact that I'm going to lose the credit I've built up with my electric carrier and once that is gone, pay for my electrical use. None of that will be reimbursed. Tesla refused to let me speak with a supervisor or manager, told me that they are aware of the situation and there is nothing they can do. HORRIBLE! I'd give them a zero if that was an option.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

In 2015 we were approached by SolarCity. Their pitch was that we could save money on our power bill for no upfront costs. We would pay for power generated and we would get a bill from our power company with the net result of a savings. Because our installation was optimum (south facing roof) they would only be installing a small system. Everything worked as promised. The install was completed within 45 days, our average charge from SolarCity was $56 and change which saved us about $20 per month from the local power company. In 2016 it was decided to sell the house. Luckily we received several offers on the first day. All offers were for the system to be removed from the house as recommended by the purchasers real estate brokers. SolarCity had a provision in their contract that stated the system could be moved to a different location for $1,000. ($500 upfront for removal and $500 on completion for re-installation)

The price sounded fair and since I had multiple offers on my house I wanted to get the sale completed. So I selected one of the offers with the provision that the system would be removed within 90 days of the closing of escrow. The sale of the house was completed and the system was removed within the allotted time. I continued to receive monthly invoices for $56. When I called billing about the issue I was told that my average bill would continue until the system was reinstalled. I mentioned that the contract was for "power generated" and that the system was sitting in a warehouse somewhere not generating power. I was told not to make any payments and all would be corrected when the system was up and running. It took awhile to get the possession of the new house.

So finally a SolarCity "engineer" came out for a site survey to make sure that the "new installation" could be accomplished and what it would require. (A very professional and knowledgeable guy never to be seen or heard of again) He stated that there was two drawbacks to the new installation. Because of the roof design of my new home. The system would need to be split instead of all on what appeared to be one single panel. Which was not a problem, just that it would require a two day installation instead of one.

The second issue was that now my panels would be facing southwest and northwest and the roof was a steeper angle that would block complete sun until later in the day. THE panels would not be as efficient as they were before. But that they would still be generating power. All this made sense to me. They proceeded with the installation which had some problems with quality that I noticed and had them return to make it right.

After a fight with the the local power company on a net metering issue. The system was turned on. The first bill (once the system was turned on) was for about $35 which made sense to me. (I forgot that it was for a partial month) SolarCity did credit back the "charged for" kWH that was charged during the systems storage. The next months bill was $98! I called and asked what the charge was for. The answer was for power generated. My reply was, "until you can give me an explanation as to why my bill is nearly double for a system that is no longer optimum I will not pay." That has been nearly 2.5 years ago. We have been proactive (several times) in trying to have this sorted out by SolarCity both by seeking them out at home shows and by contacting the billing department.

Each and every time there has been correspondence emailed back and forth with a promise of, “We will check it out.” No bills for a couple of months and then the billing and late notices start again. My gut feeling is that the system was originally "dialed down" to match the original claim/promise. But after the relocation all bets were off. I had recommended the system to several friends who had the system also installed and were initially satisfied with the results. The total lack of follow through and what appears to be deception on SolarCity's behalf has me looking for others that would like to participate in a class action suit. Provided that we can come up with a law firm that will take it on as a contingency. How can we do this as this forum does not allow any contact info to be listed?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SolarCity?

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

Looks like my experience is the same as most. I would have given zero stars if it was an option. DO NOT BUY A HOME WITH AN EXISTING LEASE OR HAVE THEM INSTALLED ON YOUR HOME FOR ANY REASON!!!! I moved into a home with an existing solar panel lease. I was assured everything was working and that I would have 24/7 web access to monitor my production. When I moved in I immediately found out that was false. The system was not working and there was no access to the system at all. I also learned they had not communicated with my system for two years - so there was no way they could have known if it worked. I spent close to 10 hours on the phone being passed around from department to department and each person told me it wasn't their problem and there's nothing I can do. It took them 9 months to order and ship the hardware that enables the web access monitoring - 4 months to simply order it.

I had to make 4 different appointments to get the system fixed. They were no-shows for two of them and they didn't even tell me they didn't make it. I learned that the system generated an average of 200 kwh per month during the 2 years before I moved in. That's over 80% less than promised. When I asked to speak with supervisors I was told "Ain't gonna happen" or that they would call me back - which never happened. I was told I am not guaranteed any minimum energy regardless of what my contract says. I was told it doesn't matter what the electric company claims on how much energy was created so the fact it isn't as much as it's supposed to be is irrelevant. They voided the performance promise during the time my system wasn't working. It's been 14 months now and my issues are unresolved. I did find contact info to the board of directors here: https://ir.tesla.com/corporate-governance/contact-the-board

I wrote them and have not heard back. There is also a forum on their website. I have requested access so I can post threads but I it has not been granted - it probably never will. There is also a department named "Executive Resolution" which I didn't learn until after 10 months of complaining. It wasn't because I had issues. They contacted me because I refused to pay. So next time ask for them. Maybe if everyone on here did it would make a difference? The level of incompetence and unethical behavior is beyond belief.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

We were harassed into buying these solar panels 5 years ago and it does not save you on electricity. The solar amounts have gone up and up since we started it. We are calling several government places to find out what to do. SolarCity did not even tell us that they were leaving and all of a sudden Tesla is now who contacts us. We cannot find out any information now like we used to since Tesla took over. We are very disappointed with all of this solar stuff.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

I am leasing their panels. SolarCity is the worst. Don't use them. I was told by the sales rep (who has since disappeared) that my monthly fee would be $85 if I paid direct with a 7% discount. Well that wasn't true. My Solar City bill keeps going up each month. I was told by someone from Solar City that I pay based on how much electricity I make. Didn't buy that explanation. Keep in mind that solar energy companies are not a public utility and are not regulated. So they can charge whatever they want and increase prices each month.

Right now through the summer I haven't paid anything to my power company. But I am paying Solar City what I would've been paying to my power company. This is not a saving of any type. I should have listened to my gut and just not done it. I have written to my Congressman. Don't really expect much action. Next step is to go to the local media. I was recently told that Solar City is looking for a new buyer.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

Good day. I have an IMEON inverter that started, after 2 years of normal operation, showing a red light labeled “error” all the time thus going to the grid to get energy. The manufacturer says that there are leakages. But when I allow the inverter to feed-in the grid there are no more errors showing up. Any hint?

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

After two years Tesla decides to send me to collections for the solar panels that they installed. When the SolarCity rep came to speak with my dad they said that the panels would be free and they would just have to pay for the electricity. I did not agree to anything. They've used the social security and have a "signed contract" with a signature that is not mine. Also, the contract is signed on a Spanish version. I speak English and have trouble translating Spanish.

SolarCity expert review by Zachary Shahan

Perhaps the largest residential solar installation company, this California-based subsidiary of Tesla manufactures and installs solar panels, servicing about 275,000 residential and commercial customers in 19 states and Washington, D.C.

• Solar panels: Called Zep solar panels, the panels have smooth skirts that adapt to the contour of the roof to protect it from harsh weather. They have no jagged edges and mounting hardware is hidden.ers.

• Installation: Supervisors of the installing team are NABCEP-certified. The process begins with a consultation where an in-house team discusses whether solar is right for you based on your energy usage and house. The team also takes up warranties, guarantees and costing, followed by the agreement signing. Most solar panel installations only take a day. After inspection and permit approval, the team then turns on the system.

• Various financing options: Homeowners, businesses, or organizations can get solar leases, PPAs, loans, or pay for their systems in cash with SolarCity.

• Leasing: SolarCity has a strong preference for solar leasing and PPAs, as it makes more money from these options. SolarCity may try to steer customers towards leasing or PPAs when it would actually be in the customer's best interest to use a loan to purchase a system.

• Acquisition: SolarCity reportedly has relatively high customer acquisition costs, which could result in higher costs for consumers.

Profile picture of Zachary Shahan
      Zachary Shahan Solar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.

SolarCity Company Information