1.18/5

Looking for a solar energy company?

SolarCity

Since 2006, SolarCity has strived to be the national leader in clean energy services and has become America’s largest solar provider. We specialize in residential and commercial solar systems. We provide energy at a lower cost than paying for energy generated by burning coal, oil and natural gas.

Our mission is to see millions adopt clean energy services, which in the long run will save them from rising electricity costs. We will work with you through the entire process and will provide ongoing monitoring and repair services. Call today for more information!

View More View More

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

548 SolarCity Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

They lie in order to make a sale and then you are stuck with a company that cannot even provide good customer services. No technical support to fix a problem for a week. Run away from this company, terrible!!!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Bad experience. I am sharing my experience and why I will never deal with this company. Site surveyor called 10 mins prior to appt to reschedule cause he is running late. New surveyor came. Walked in my attic and roof. The next day furnace went out. Coincidence perhaps but no one was up there but him. House is less than 2 years old only mind you. The day of the installation he called 1 hour prior to cancel and his reason due to campfire smoke. Was is it so hard to give ample time to cancel?

Get expert buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Customer service line, response, very poor. Long holds, transfers, delays, excuses for inability to send tech. Not enough personnel on phones, not enough techs. We paid in full in advance, so not billing issue. SC disconnected our service after remote diagnosis in year 6, tech on ground looked up and said squirrels are the problem, shut down our system. After many frustrating calls to SC, they finally gave us a service date 9 months later. We objected in writing, too long a wait, and now we are paying full electric bills as if no panels. SC has since upped the service date to a mere 6 mos after they shut down service.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Sales told me I would offset 96% of the electricity bill, result was less than 30%. Installation left 37% of the panels not attached. Even when fixed, production increased, but still under 40%, Made a complaint to the state who arbitrated a cheaper rate from SolarCity. It was never honored as they want a nondisclosure from me. My contract required panel cleaning by SolarCity (according to the state written report). They refuse so I will have to take them to small claims court. Customer service has lied to me and stalled me continually. Lousy lousy company.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

Shame Tesla. You guys are bunch of liars. I have installed solar panel on June. Since September the solar panel or converter is not working properly. I called them. They gave me schedule on October 5th. Then I was waiting all day. Then I called them. They said I hadn't call anyone or have any schedule. So they gave me schedule on November 20. Really? Is that customer service. When I was talking to representative I was telling her "Amanda" "I am paying you guys and you guys giving me this kind of service?" "Amanda" was, "Lie. You are not paying us" "Tesla". Really Tesla. I am not paying for the service. I got approved from bank and you "Tesla" took money from my lender and you guys don't give a ** what I paid for? I want my service done as soon as possible. People don't buy Tesla. They are all fake. They are all bunch of liars.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SolarCity?

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

We had a person come out to give us their spiel about their solar program. Was a great sales job. They wanted $500 upfront just for an estimate after their sales job. We gave them the $500 as we were given a letterhead that stated our money was fully refundable at any time for any reason... Now we have called to get our money back and they give us the runaround and are told that we will not be getting our money back. Every time we call we are on hold for 30 mins to an hour, finally get thru and told we have to talk to someone else that will have to call us back. Nobody ever calls us back. Apparently by all their ** reviews this is the only way they can make money. Don't ever consider this company. I can only imagine with their horrible customer service and non concern for people how their service would be if your panels ever needed service.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

If you are considering Solar City Run as fast as you can away from them. 5yr customer. Solar City will lie, cheat and never fulfill their obligations. Nothing but problems since I turned the panels on. Year lead times to remove and replace your panels. Really!!! In August 2018 they sent my payment back to me then had their collectors call. I explained to them if they kept sending my payment back to me I would never be able to stay current. I have never missed a payment. RUN, Run, Run as fast as you can!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

If you are looking to add solar panels to your home, run as fast as you can from any SolarCity/Tesla representative. They are wonderful UNTIL the contract is signed. Their customer service department is a joke. We call and are told they will respond and call back within 48 hours---I'm still waiting... it's been 13 MONTHS. I called again today and was told, again, they would call back within 48 hours. And, so we wait. If the customer service at my company worked this way, we wouldn't still be in business. If no response comes this time, Tesla will be able to come pick their panels up from the street in front of my house.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

We acquired a leased solar system on the home we purchased in April 2018. Since then we have had nothing but problems with the billing department for SolarCity/Tesla. When the system comes up for renewal, we will not choose to stay with this company!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I only went with SolarCity/Tesla hoping they are an established and a big company who won't be involved in lying and shady practices, but I learned a hard way that those things are no measure of company ethics and practices. In addition, they are so big that you can't fight with even if they lie to you on your face, in writing or on contract. Most people don't want to spend tens of thousands of dollars fighting their corporate lawyers on permanent payroll.

Tesla don't even care about few thousand frustrated residential customers. Just go on BBB website, I wished I had done that before, and see how many complains they have and how serious this company is in resolving legit issues and problems faced by customers. Trust me. YOU WILL BE BETTER OFF WITH A MOM AND POP SOLAR COMPANY than going through TESLA SOLAR/ENERGY.

Working with them will be a frustrating experience and full of regrets. They prey on people who are less informed, they use their name formerly SolarCity and now Tesla to legitimize their existence and reliability, which is opposite of the reality. Salespeople and engineers will lie to you in person and over the phone and make promises to you but when the system is installed you will be shocked to someone hear tell you "we are sorry" it's not in our contract, I even had written proof from their reps and they still backtracked on commitments made by their employees.

Tesla warranties are the lowest in industry, and on top of that they hide information about your solar panel system's performance that every other company provides to their customers. Tesla do that so they don't have to fulfill warranties claims because customers won't have any proof to claim problems. In addition, Tesla provide no mechanism to resolve issues, so if you have an issue or a problem you will have no way to escalate issue or able to contact supervisors/managers. Even their "Resolution Center" mentioned in contract don't return phone calls or emails.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

STAY AWAY FROM TESLA/SOLAR CITY! Unless you want your house destroyed, a useless warranty, and $1000s worth of damages that you will need to repair yourself, because they refuse to take responsibility for what they have done! I'm sorry that I ever let the salesman into my house! If you're smarter than me, you won't! This process has been going on for years now! They breached their own contract during the installation process, then tried to get me to pay for their errors.

When I told them to come pull the whole system, they changed their tune, but it looks like they screwed up my flat roof, by improperly installing the mounts. They already took responsibility and fixed it once, but now that there is more damage showing through, the documentation disappeared, the original inspector disappeared, and they deny any knowledge of responsibility. I guess my only recourse now is to lawyer up. Here is another ** company that won't stand behind the crap work that they are doing! AVOID this company like it's the plague, or you WILL be sorry!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Our system has been down for about 6 weeks (2nd time this year); Tesla is going to install a redesigned system. New system will have 19 panels vs existing system has 20 (Same production – more efficient design). I didn’t approve the new design until Tesla could explain how they are going to cover the exposed roof for the one less panel. Waiting on Tesla Operation manager to reach out to answer this question. Anybody had experience with a similar issue? How was this resolved? I don’t have a slack of extra roof tiles. Telsa Customer service line has call center long waited times (over an hour except at the 5 AM PT) opening. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Trying to get SolarCity to answer their phone for customer service - always says it will be at least a 45 minute wait, and when I do get through it's actually over an hour. Then they promise to contact me within a few days and do the repair within two weeks - and it's been nearly two months without a call. I call back to their new sales (they actually answer the phone) and they have twice promised to have customer service call me back - but nothing. Maybe if I stop making payments someone will actually call me.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Our roof was damaged in a storm on 8/23. Our contractor has been trying to contact SolarCity since 8/28 to get the panels temporarily removed for repairs. They are unable to get through on the customer care line - sit for hours, get hung up on before talking to someone. It is now 9/25 and we still don't have our roof repaired. Emails to them just tell us to call the same number. We assume if we have another company do the work it would probably void our solar lease and any warranty. If they can't do the work, at least give authorization to have another solar company reset the panels. But first we have to talk to someone, which so far is impossible. I've tried calling with same results - on hold forever or hung up on.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

My Yelp reviews say it all about the last 18 months, and then another TERRIBLE customer service experience today. Online bill pay has not been available on my account since taking over the SolarCity contract on my house. I called customer service and it is an hour wait - that’s not a typo, ONE HOUR is standard. Once I got through, they said “oh, just call the bill pay center directly at **”. I asked where that was posted and they said that they don’t post it. You just have to call and wait and they might give you that number as a courtesy. What a joke!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

We have our third solar system with Solar City, the first two houses were sold and all accounts cleared. This third system after 16 months of no billing problems suddenly came up with our regular automatic payment and then additional charge of $228.5l. We contacted Solar City Billing department and they said they could not see the charge, odd as they could see the regular payment. Filed a dispute with our bank and they reversed the charge. However the following month of Sept. 2018 they doubled the extra charge to $470.48. Again called the billing department and was again told they could not see the extra charge, filed a dispute with the bank and charges were reversed.

However this problem has not been corrected even after we sent in copies of the charges on our bank statement. Called the billing department 3 times with no answer after being on hold over an hour. This is ridiculous and sent a complaint to Tesla. No response so far. Customer service is the worst, very disappointed with Tesla and SolarCity.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Wait/Holds times are over an Hour! I’ve closed on my house in June 2018 been trying to set up payments every month. Finally was told in Aug 2018, could get my first bill in Sept... Apparently takes a while for everything to be transferred. Was worried if I was going to be backdated charge. Rep Stacy assured me it was going to start in Sept ONLY! Placed me hold multiple times to assure this answer. Sure enough got a bill now and of course it’s being backdated!!! Waited one hour and 25 mins for rep to get on the line. She said she couldn’t do anything and was out of her hands! She had nobody else I could talk to or no help. Stacy even said “buy some stuff for the house” when I told her I had the money in my account! So ridiculous!!!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

When my solar panels were installed they broke one of my door jams and hid it so that I wouldn’t know. In addition they dropped something from the roof and ruined my new outdoor furniture. They sent someone out to assess and fix the items. Then one day when I was driving on the highway there was a SolarCity vehicle riding my butt in the fast lane and I was already doing 80 mph. I called and filed a formal complaint. It is my understanding the worker got written up but was able to look up the information on his complaint and I got a harassing text message from the employee. I reported it to SolarCity and they didn’t seem to have a care in the world that their employee did this. THEN after 2 years of service and showing a 0 carryover balance, all of a sudden in March this year I got a bill saying I had a carryover balance of over $700???

When I called to ask what was going on, I was told their billing system had been messed up for years and now that it was corrected this is what I owe. Um what?! I mentioned that companies like Verizon don’t hold customers accountable for the company's mistakes and if SolarCity thought of themselves as reputable then they would do the same. Needless to say my last bill still says I am overdue by $700, yet I got a letter in the mail that said I owe $286 to rectify my past due balance. I feel this is all a scam! Has anyone else experiences this? I know they recently had a class action suit for calling people and I’m wondering if others are having the same issue. I am getting ready to report to the BBB as I have had numerous calls to customer service where I feel like I am talking to a wall and I have sent 3 different written requests to which I have received no response. This is overall a really crappy company who provides ** service.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Overall, the whole process of getting my system installed was an easy, pleasant experience, but now that I've had it for a few months it's just not worth the money. The design of my system isn't efficient enough to provide enough energy for my home so I pull over half of my electricity from the grid. Between the payment for the loan and my electric bill I'm actually paying significantly more than I was before the solar. I was promised that was going to have my Powerwall by this past June but I'm now being told that the earliest I can expect it is January. At this point I wish I never would have bothered with the whole thing in the first place and I'm tempted to sell my stock. Don't waste your time until their efficiency for both equipment and energy has been improved.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

We contracted for two systems on two separate dwellings on the same owned property. The contracts were signed in 2015. Our first true up with PG&E was less than $800. Our 2nd true up came in with us owning PG&E $2,440+ dollars. In speaking to PG&E we found that the solar system had not been net metering for several months on one of the systems.

After sending many e-mails and calling customer service and waiting for nearly an hour each time trying to get a human to answer the phone call, we finally found out that Solar City had a $3,600 credit on the account for the system that had not been net metering. We have tried unsuccessful for several weeks to get the credit refunded to help offset the amount we owed PG&E. Solar billing department refuses to respond regarding a refund. They did respond saying they would not apply the credit to our other account that we have not paid now for three months because of the credit they refuse to refund.

A couple fellows finally came out to the property, they did not provide a business card so that we could follow up on their visit. The took lots of photos and notes on the system that has not been net metering. That was several days ago. We have not been informed of their findings or what they will do fix the system so that it is net metering properly.

All of this has been going on for the last three months with no resolution from Tesla - Solar City. If there was a way to CANCEL OUR CONTRACTS WITH THEM, WE WOULD. Looks like the contract has everything in their favor. It does not say they have to give good service in a timely manner or we have the right to cancel. It just says we have to "pay" the bill regardless of any issues. It does not say they will refund any overcharges, but a $3,600 credit seems a huge red flag that there are major problems.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Customer service is beyond ridiculous. They are great while they are working to get you on the hook. Once you are contracted you are on your own. I moved into a new construction on 12/28/17 and my system was not activated 7/03/18 at 1 pm. For my inconvenience Tesla offered me a payment of $170.51. Seven months of excuses and no action, and finally a check for 170.51 to cover my inconvenience. How do they come up with that insulting number? What was quoted, what my lease states and what my bill shows are three different numbers. Calling customer service is pointless because no one ever answers. I have emailed them with full documentation and so far just a canned response with their Best regards and an invitation to call customer service. I'd like to say TESLA I hope you crash and burn, but it looks like you already are. Best regards.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Customer Care is horrible as noted by all the negative reviews. I have tried calling but the wait is over an hour. They will call you back, but it has been over one week and no callback. How does this company continue to survive? You will keep taking the monthly payment out of my account yet I have no recourse with you. Why do you even have a customer care department when there is none.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Roof damaged by hail. 1+ hours on d to talk service then 6 weeks to get crew out here. 45 min to remove panels. Now shingles replaced, told 7 month wait to reinstall my panels. Inexcusable - Tesla need to hire across the board for service. Or subcontract. Sign me up for class action.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I have tried to get a resolution to this problem for weeks and I keep hitting stumbling block after stumbling block. Nothing but abhorrent customer service from SolarCity aka Tesla. On August 10th we noticed water coming in through the ceiling in our living room. We contacted Tesla since it is directly below the solar panels on our roof. Calling them is near impossible because they quote over an hour wait with the automated system and then while holding the line magically disconnects around the 45 minute mark. Twice I got hung up on.

I finally got through and they agreed to send someone out to check on the leak the next day. The Tesla rep couldn't determine for sure where it was coming from so he wanted to come back out the next day. The next day after the second inspection he still wasn't sure. So Tesla sent a team out the following day. The team determined that it was bad felt paper around our chimney and that the water was running down a rafter in the attic and dropping off at the point where the leak came through the ceiling. Not their responsibility.

So we call insurance, schedule several roofers to give quotes on a fix, and have a restoration company come out to mitigate the water damage. The restoration company says the water is not coming from the chimney area. They use moisture meters which clearly show it is actually coming from directly above the leak which is directly below the panels. There is no moisture around the chimney. The roofer also says it is not the chimney but possibly a combo of storm damage and the solar company insufficiently flashing the solar stands allowing water to penetrate through. I contact Tesla with this new info and am told I need to send them a report that they can forward to the Operations team for further review.

In the meantime another monsoon storm hits and the water comes in through the ceiling again. So I have to have the restoration company out a second time to mitigate the water damage. They had already put a tub in the attic to try and catch any water since it is impossible to tarp the roof due to the panels. Despite the difficulty, I request the roofer try to tarp it best he can, and the roofing company came out the next day to tarp it. So I send Tesla photos from the restoration company and the report from the roofer. And wait.

The insurance company sends out an adjuster to look at the roof and he also determines that the panels need to be removed for an accurate inspection. So I contact Tesla to find out what the Operations team has to say about the new info, and to try and coordinate a partial panel removal/inspection with Tesla, the adjuster, and roofer. Tesla says the Operations team already determined it is our chimney and they are not responsible for the damage. They will not coordinate an inspection with the insurance adjuster or a roofer. My only option is to schedule a removal, for which I have to pay $499, so the roof can be repaired.

Fine. I give up! I really don't care who is responsible or not at this point and just want my roof repaired! So I say let's schedule the removal so I can get my roof repaired. Guess what!? Tesla won't remove my panels until early 2019!! Yes, you read that right. 2019! They are backlogged and my contract doesn't allow for a third party to touch the panels. Tesla "graciously" said they will waive that and allow it since they are so backlogged, but I am responsible for any damage done by a third party removal. So explain to me how that is truly an option!?

I have calls in to three local solar companies hoping I can find someone to remove the panels for me so I can repair my roof. The tarp on the roof has not held and has been shredded by the wind that got under the panels. Another storm rolled through today so now I have MORE water damage; wet carpet, wet insulation, and wet drywall.

I have video and photos that prove the leak is NOT where Tesla claims. I have two toddlers in my house. This is a health hazard! I have a hole in my ceiling with a bucket in the attic and buckets on the floor trying to catch the water. This CANNOT WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR!! Every storm is causing additional damage to my house. They won't accept any responsibility nor will they do anything to help prevent further damage. Truly despicable. Shame on Tesla! They put panels on an old roof and walked away. They got their tax break and could care less about the damage to my home. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I got solar panels as my husband and I were retiring and I wanted to cut back on our overhead. Now I am still paying $150 a month to Edison PLUS my monthly payment to SolarCity, which will continue to go up EVERY YEAR. VERY UNHAPPY.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Tesla/Solar City great sales, runs like a top. After hailstorm, before I can get roofing replaced- SIX WEEK wait to have panels removed. Took 45 min work. Heard that possible SEVEN MONTH wait for 2 hour reinstall. Inexcusable- wish I'd never bought this. Was doing right for environment. Tesla a big fail. Why not bring in crews from other states like insurance companies?

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

We installed SolarCity solar panels Aug. 2015. Since then the combined cost for electricity charged by NV Energy (So. NV) plus SolarCity's monthly charges have resulted in little to no savings at all. The problem lies in their monthly charges, which by contract, increase each year. I wrote a letter to Elon Musk along with my chart that tracks my energy costs since installation to point out that their whole program is a scam. That was over a month ago. So far no reply. He's probably too busy shooting rockets off or trying to get his Tesla production up to promised deliveries. Will it take a class action suit to get out from under this lopsided contract? I'm ready to sign on.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

The fifteenth day is fast approaching and still no knowledge as to when or where my inverter is. They had the kahunas to say that they had a tracking number but can't find the part or the tracking number? THEY SAID IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN HERE MONDAY 8/20. Some district manager from TEXAS is now involved. TEXAS? Where is the area manager for NEVADA?

They sold a lot of systems here in Las Vegas... To be our utility company but has no service personnel or here in Nevada. These were sold as LEASE SYSTEMS with the Solemn Promise to be there after the sale. I really think its time for Class Action. Kinda wondering how TESLA owners fair with their warranty service with their Model S? I sure wouldn't buy anything from TESLA expecting any type of customer service. Where is the Nevada Attorney General? Where is the FTC? Where is the Consumer Protection Agency? They act as a Utility but refuse to provide any service. Aren't there any protections for Seniors?

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

When I wanted to go Solar I talked to half a dozen companies. Only one company (Tesla/SolarCity) said they would send somebody to do the roof inspection BEFORE I am required to sign the contract. All other companies wanted me to sign the contract BEFORE sending someone to do the site survey. They kept saying that as I lived in CA I have three days to cancel the contract. But they said the site survey will be done after 10 days or so after I sign the contract. My roof is 15 years old and even though it is supposed to last some 40 years I did not want to take the risk of signing and then finding our my roof had to be fixed before panels can be installed. But none of other companies agreed to do the site survey before signing of the contract even though I agreed to pay reasonable amount for it.

Tesla/SolarCity asked me to pay a refundable deposit of $500 to do the roof survey. Sure enough they found damage to my roof which had to be fixed before the panel installation. They showed me the photographs of damage (as the roof is two storeys high I could not climb to see the damage). Their estimate is $4800 to fix the roof. I consulted a friend who is in construction business and he agreed the estimate is reasonable. Here is the kicker. Tesla/SolarCity agreed to bear the entire cost. So I went with that company. They sent a crew of 5 (they engaged an independent contractor) to do the roof and it took them a day and half. This is the main reason I went with SolarCity even though their quote was second highest of all the six companies. But after I factored in the cost of roof repair theirs came to be very competitive.

Then Tesla/SolarCity (Tesla bought SolarCity) scheduled installation of panels. But I told them I was planning on going away for a two week vacation. They assured me that my presence is not needed as long as they can have access to my roof which I arranged. While I was away Tesla installed the panels and completed the paperwork. I received all the permits and my utility last week gave me permission to turn on the system. All in all I have no complaints. But the system is on for only a week and so far everything looks good.

I paid the entire cost for the system so I own it. I would give them 5 stars but so far they did not activate their app to monitor the energy produced, energy being used and net energy sent to the grid. I do have a device that monitors the energy being used by my house in real time and so I know the system is producing more than I am using for about 7 daylight hours. During the past one week my house used near zero electricity. I own a Tesla car which I charge every alternate day.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Our roof was damaged by hail. We contacted SolarCity to advise them that the panels would need to be removed so the roof could be repaired per the terms of the contract. To be brief, every telephone contact with the company resulted in a promise of a return call or action in 48 hours, but they consistently fail to follow up. They refuse to provide any documentation that we are even on a waiting list. They say they cannot remove the panels until 2019. Obviously, the roof cannot be repaired in January or February, so repairs cannot begin for more than 6 months. It is clear SolarCity is trying to avoid their responsibility to remove the panel as they are obligated to do under the contract. Terrible customer service. Do not deal with this company for any service whatsoever.

SolarCity expert review by Zachary Shahan

SolarCity is by far the largest residential solar installation company in the United States. It is also one of only a few companies vertically integrated, offering installation and financing while also including a manufacturing arm.

• Market share: With 26 percent of the residential solar market in 2013, SolarCity had more than 3 times the market share of #2 Vivint Solar and about 4.5 times the market share of #3 Verengo Solar. A strong market share indicates the company is performing well and attracting customers, and the wealth of experience can also be very useful for customers.

• Vertical integration: Vertical integration can (theoretically) allow SolarCity to offer customers a better deal. Greater efficiencies, economies of scale and a more secure process can mean lower prices for customers.

• Various financing options: Homeowners, businesses, or organizations can get solar leases, PPAs, loans, or pay for their systems in cash with SolarCity.

• Leasing: SolarCity has a strong preference for solar leasing and PPAs, as it makes more money from these options. SolarCity may try to steer customers towards leasing or PPAs when it would actually be in the customer's best interest to use a loan to purchase a system.

• Acquisition: SolarCity reportedly has relatively high customer acquisition costs, which could result in higher costs for consumers.

• Best for: homeowners, small and large businesses, government agencies, nonprofits, leasing and PPA customers, solar beginners and cash and loan consumers.

Profile picture of Zachary Shahan
    Zachary Shahan Solar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.

SolarCity Company Information