1.51/5
  • 1 star
Based on 116 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 2006, SolarCity has strived to be the national leader in clean energy services and has become America’s largest solar provider. We specialize in residential and commercial solar systems. We provide energy at a lower cost than paying for energy generated by burning coal, oil and natural gas.

Our mission is to see millions adopt clean energy services, which in the long run will save them from rising electricity costs. We will work with you through the entire process and will provide ongoing monitoring and repair services. Call today for more information!

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 15, 2018

477 SolarCity Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

Well Ramon “Mone” was here at my house giving me the moon and the stars (nothing personal with the guy) but when it came to the estimated amount of money I was going to spend I was over 20 buck of my original bill. He promises a new electrical panel for free (lie #1). Also he says that I was going to get an amount on my taxes (lie #2). He promises next day installation (lie #3). And I can keep going with the lies I got. End up not getting Solar ** because I went to my lawyer with the contract and he just look at me and laughed. BEFORE you do anything please do more research with other companies. Also Solar ** people don't stop emails and phone call and the harassment. I am happy I didn't get this foony company.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I am very disappointed with the service. I had Solar City install panels on my roof 7 months ago. For 4 months on and off, the equipment was faulty and they changed some parts and still no luck, finally they changed the entire box in the garage, but now I am faced with a $800 bill so far in my TRUE UP from Edison and this is just for 7 months only, besides on what I pay monthly to Solar City as per the agreement. The equipment did not produce enough and I do not know what to do? Solar City cannot help out. Please advise what can be done here? My estimated first year of production is supposed to be at 7826 kWh. My Solar system size is 5.2 kW DC. Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

We bought a house that previously had SolarCity solar panels installed. Months later we found out the roof was leaking down a wall causing major damage. This shingle roof was not the appropriate roof for this house and needed replacement with a tar Roof. No roofing company would guarantee a shingle roof on this house and after many calls to Solar City regarding installing on this roof I have an email from Solar City stating they agreed on a tar roof from their Regional Mgr. So we signed a contract to De-install for new roof and re-install for $499 before the 2016 rains started. The roof was done but the roofing company couldn’t coordinate with Solar City to install panels and they finished the roof before the rain. The home is under Property Mgmt who were paying the Solar Bill that had not been installed each month unbeknownst to us.

Solar City contacted us regarding bill a few months later and we told him the story who passed it on to his Regional Mgr. We would like panels re-installed. Months go by and finally they ask would we break contract and we said yes either way but we weren’t going to pay for non-installed solar. I email 2-3 people each month regarding having the matter decided and today Dec 20th, they say we have to pay $499 (de-install/re-install fee) (never was reinstalled since August 2016). All Solar payments up until this month! Even though we have been waiting for their decision on installing panels or breaking contract! So now the price they want is $1100! I believe maybe it should be 1/2 of the $499.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

SolarCity deployed Solar Panels and equipment in October. Issue 1: The system inspection by city failed as SolarCity person did not bring right equipment. Second time inspection went fine. The homeowner's time was wasted as someone need to be around to open the gate for the personnel. (BTW - installation have 1 issue, instead of using house ground, they redundantly drilled a hole in ground to install ground rod - not yet resolved.) Issue 2: The SolarCity power inverter never communicated with gateway. 3 visits by 3 different technicians so far and no resolution over last 2.5 months. The last guy figured out that electronic bridge board in inverter is faulty. Said he will get it in 2 days, 1 week passed, another week passed. Now they say it takes 14 days. Still no light at the end of tunnel.

No proactive tracking, no update on timeline, no set timelines. They just lie every time you ask and give some absurd answer. No way to reach the technical team online. You are dealing with customer service who just does not know much and of no help other than giving another timeline at every call. Totally frustrated. BTW – it’s their own requirement to have power generation monitored 24/7 but consumer is following up, wasting time without any resolution over the months. Pretty bad service overall.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

Early in the process of going solar, a gentleman spent a great deal of time on my roof. When he came down, he stated he was having a great deal of trouble getting the readings he needed. Were these readings correct? The system installed is not generating what was expected. My system was pretty much installed the shortest day of the year. Shortest day to longest day should give me some idea of what my system would produce in 6 months. Production for the first half year fell short. September 2016 I emailed my salesman and he verified, "The system is about 200 kWh short from what we estimated so far." After 1 year of 2733 kWh expected, a disappointing 2411.2 kWh were produced.

After contacting SolarCity numerous times, nothing is resolved. Instead of a solution, I was told what my local forecast was, told my consumption must be increasing, and told I have guarantee and would receive a check after 2 years should the system not perform. I continued to contact SolarCity with the Customer Service department referring me to their Technical Department and the Technical Department referring me back to Customer Service Department. I received a power bill from PSE&G in the middle of the summer showing I used 10kWh from my power bank in one of the most productive months of the year. (Not possible.) I called PSE&G & inquired about my energy bank and they informed me at the same time last year I had 300 kWh more in my bank.

There have been no changes in my home, no new appliances, no A/C units in use at all, no one in the house except me, no new buildings, no new tall trees. The only change from 2016 to 2017 is that I was home during the day in 2016, and using the computer every day. My usage should be less in 2017. When I contacted SolarCity Customer Service and told them there is definitely something wrong having 300 kWhs less in the bank this summer, I was told again I have a Guarantee and will have to wait for 2 years to see IF I will be receiving a check. Clearly after more than a year and a half, SolarCity has done nothing to look into a possible malfunction in their equipment and now, Customer Service is telling me after 2 full years of falling short, they will decide IF I will be getting a check.

I paid SolarCity in full for a system that will provide me with all my power for the next 30 years. (Providing no changes.) My latest PSE&G bill shows I have nothing in my Energy Bank. I will not be looking forward to paying PSE&G full electric bills this Winter when I have already pre-paid SolarCity for my power. I don't have a monthly payment. My system is paid off. If the system was working correctly, I wouldn't be paying PSE&G for the next 5 months.Where the initial readings incorrect? Are all the panels working? I should have at least 300kWh more in my bank. Is someone stealing my power? Has someone tampered with the system? After emailing numerous people, they don't even agree what the guaranteed amount is. The one person who knew what he was doing at SolarCity is gone. Tesla/SolarCity does not deliver what they promised. Today is December 7, 2017 - after almost 2 years, only 4609 kWh produced.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SolarCity?

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I purchased Solar panels in March 2017. The salesperson guaranteed "110%" of my total energy usage would be taken over by the solar panels. My first electric bill was $200. Subsequent bills were $100, etc. I have never had a zero electric bill. I contacted the sales rep. She told me there was something wrong with the system. She contacted her manager. I have emails stating that something is wrong and emails sent to SolarCity in California stating that they should fix the issue, because they made a mistake on the install. Then months of no response.

I finally got through to customer service by going through the BBB (they since have closed the complaint due to how long it's taken to fix things) and they told me that I installed my pool after the installation of the system. I did not. The pool was installed BEFORE the system. They knew that. I have emails to that fact. They then told me that I have to wait a year. For what??? They won't give me an answer. They won't fix anything, They won't talk to me, and I have no guarantees that my problem will be looked at by anyone. This company is irresponsible. They treat customers like they are criminals. I bought this system in good faith and was so happy to have solar. I don't understand why I have been treated so badly by a group of people.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

So they called me. Sold me on $16,000. I left deposit of $500 and was very happy that it was only $16,000. But then I had roof inspection done and they practically told me my roof needs to be redone because it's old and asked for over $4000, but what THEY DIDN'T KNOW IS I CHANGED THE ROOF 3 MONTH PRIOR TO INSPECTION. THIS COMPANY IS A FRAUD AND "TESLA NAME" WILL NOT HELP THEM. Eventually they cancelled the order and did refund my deposit.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

In 2015 I was told about this company (SolarCity) and all of the wonderful benefits of having solar power and how this company supposedly places free panels on your home by relatives of mine. This company sends an energy consultant to your home to discuss the what solar city is about and asked if I would be interested. It started with my relatives who told my mom and then the word got to me. The same energy consultant came to all three of our homes. She seemed very nice and educated on the matters of SolarCity. At least I thought she was initially she showed me the plan on her computer of how many panels I was to get telling me what she thought I would like to hear about the company.

I thought it was a catch from the beginning because why would a company give away free panels what do they gain. When they ran my credit I did not initially qualify. I should have looked at that as a sign and ran as fast as I could but my mother basically vouched for me. She told me that I may have to trim some of the trees in my backyard so that the panels I would receive would get full access to the light. That was was another sign I should have took and ran. But I inevitably didn't have to get any trees trimmed so I continued with the process. The energy consultant also told me that I would be paying less than $100 for both bills. The only truthful thing I felt she told me was that I couldn't claim these panels on my taxes. She also neglected to tell me that the company will place a lien on your home if you want to sell off your home and the panels that you don't essentially own aren't finished being paid for.

I had asked my relative, "So when do we get to claim the tax credit," thinking that eventually we would own the panels thinking he may know because of that's a question I forgot to ask. He stated that probably when the panels are finished being paid for that day will never come. I also didn't know that if I decided to sell or rent that the new owners would have to accept responsibility for the contract with them. Nor did I know the cancellation terms that also would have been a game changer for me. I wondered why there would be two bills and she told me that it would be to pay for any energy used by the solar panels and of course whatever power if any I would use from BG&E.

Because I have a larger family I thought, "Well if I can pay less than my current BG&E bill alone this might actually work." Not only will I be paying less between both bills but I will also be leaving less of a carbon footprint on the earth. Not thinking about what happens with the disposal of these panels. I do blame myself for not thoroughly reading through my contract and asking more of the right questions, making sure I have a better understanding (which I thought I already had) or even telling them no thank you for the first two incidences but from what the consultant told me which was convincing I thought it would be a win for my family and myself.

I went on with everything and in 1/2016 my panels were installed. I ended up going through three dryers because the construction team neglected to connect a cord back up so that my dryer could run on a certain amount of watts to dry my clothes. I got rid of my old dryer thinking it went bad, replaced it with a used one thought that one was bad, bought a brand new one and when that one didn't dry we knew it couldn't be the dryer. After some time passed my bill started to come in and I noticed that my bill was not under $100. That summer of 2016 my solar city bill was over 200 and my BG&E bill was right under that. I called them to complain and asked why my bill was this high when I was told by the energy consultant my bill wouldn't be over 100. The customer service agent said that it's because of the summer and typically bills are higher than and it should drop during the colder months.

I was astonished of course. No ** is what I thought but that's not what I was told when I signed up for SolarCity. That was the beginning of my unhappiness. These bills kept coming in and they were higher than what I would have paid if I was just with BG&E. There has not been one day that has gone by that I am not paying over 100 between both bills for electricity. I felt mislead, tricked, upset by all of this with SolarCity. Currently, I am not working and contacted them to see if they offered assistance for people who are unemployed.

The agent wrote back and told me that they offer a payment plan and that currently they are not adding any late fees. What am I going to do with a payment plan when I don't work and it's hard enough to maintain the main bills let alone paying and extra electricity bill? And with all these reviews I feel like my home is tainted because of these panels from SolarCity and the reputation it has gained. I may be stuck in this home when I had plans to move and rent out after a certain time. No one is going to want to rent let alone buy my home knowing I have solar city panels. I just want to be done with SolarCity pay whatever remaining balance I have and they come get their panels because this has been a nightmare.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

When I asked the salesperson if the front stoop that I made larger and don't have permits for would red flag me with the town they said no. I asked them if it does I want to back out of the contract that I still had time to get out of but because 2 salesmen reassured that they never had any issues only the neighboring town was the headache to deal with it. So I went ahead and got them installed. So that's the first issue then the second was the electrician that they sent over connected my 220 amp panel with a sub panel by taping two wires together and said to me, "It's ok. Just don't show the inspectors," so now when I want the issue fixed by SolarCity they are saying it's my issue. The salesman is there only for the money and basically are pretty much like a used car salesman. Stay away.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I am leasing my solar, last month they called me and told me my unit was not working properly. They came out to check, well that month I received my bill from DWP and it was 200.00 more. I called my rep no response yet. So on top of paying solar city 114.00 per month, that month I paid over $900.00. Beside this problem, I have not seen savings and signing up was one of the biggest mistakes I have made.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I bought a brand new house on June in 2014. There was no leaking during raining season in 2015. Later SolarCity came and told me that I could save 15 % off bill. They told me if they broke tiles on the roof, they would change. They would be responsible for the whole roof leaking after installed solar panels on the roof. During their installation, I saw them did changed several broken tiles but I also saw them glued broken tiles. It rained more during raining season in 2017, there were several places leaking. I called SolarCity, they only fixed one place leaking and blamed the rest to the builder. I called the builder, the builder blamed SolarCity. The builder said there was no leaking before SolarCity came, so the builder refused to fix it. They blamed each other and nobody fixed leaking places. It kept raining for weeks and my house got more wet during the raining season. It was suffering, very painful.

Then I had to hire the third party inspecting the whole roof to figure out who should be responsible for it. The third party told me it was SolarCity. Then I told SolarCity the third party inspection showed it was SolarCity's responsibility. The picture showed broken tile near solar panel. They still told me it was not their responsibility. How could they walk away and left broken tile on my roof for years? Rain is coming soon. I had to hire roof company coming. I don't have lots of time arguing with SolarCity and let my house continues to be damaged more.

My neighbour hired other solar company installed solar panels on their roof. There were lots of broken tiles around the solar panels. Their house was damaged a lot. Inside walls wet and lots of bubbles on the wall came out. Later they fixed it and sold out the house quickly. So don't trust any Solar companies, don't let them install solar panels on your roof. Besides, the third party told me if you wanted to sell your house, if other people said they didn't want solar panels on the roof, then you had to hire third party to remove them. It costs a lot to remove them.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

The Solar City lease I have has prevented me from selling my house in Arizona 4x in the last month. If you are considering leasing from this company DON'T. I have heard from real estate agents that having leased solar on your home is a big turn off for buyers. The options they give us is transfer the lease, pay of the remaining amount of the lease (over $30,000) or pay the costs to move it to a new residence (at my expense, thousands of dollars) and since we moved out of state that is no longer an option. I have dropped the asking price of my home by $60,000 and still no one will buy because of the leased Solar. HUGE MISTAKE GETTING INVOLVED WITH SOLAR CITY!!! DON'T DO IT, DON'T DO IT, DON'T DO IT!!! The little amount of money actually saved, (about $1200/yr) is not worth the anguish of having buyers that fall through due to this stupid lease!!!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

I am currently a customer in NEVADA and the service came with the new home in 2016. This is the biggest scam I have ever been dragged into!! My NEVADA energy bill is lower than my solar bill by far!!! First of all when I first did the inspection at this home (done by a pro) there were holes in the roof from the install of the panels that the previous owner did not even know about, as they were older and was unable to look in the attic. The system is supposed to be on plugged into the internet and mine was not plugged in for months (due to the fact that we did not know there was a small unit that needed to be plugged in).

I tried calling several times trying to do the name change on the bill and that alone took months!!! They were having a problem closing out previous owner balance. Once this was complete my monthly bills are not even what they told me it would be!!! Once your unit is installed you will never see them again!! (But they will surely be sending you that bill). I have not seen any benefit in solar only problems!!! PLEASE NEVADA RESIDENTS DON’T BE SCAMMED BY SOLARCITY!!! I'm locked in a 20 year contract (standard) with this company!! I would remove it immediately if I could!!!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

My complaint is I am a stroke victim. My wife takes care of me. We still are paying high bill the same before SolarCity. This month electric was 234.00. Solar 186.00. Only two of are in home with everyday needed items. We have problems with the SolarCity box that reads your output. They ask my poor wife to do all this troubleshooting. They do not have any service techs on the street. That tells me they are not going to last. My wife has refused to troubleshoot anymore. Now they sending emails.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

A month ago we were advised by a technician that 14/28 panels are not working. Still waiting for them to get fixed, while we incur horrendous SCE bills. The “gateway” is supposed to track low output, but that also wasn’t reported to us. SCE was the ones to tell us our system must not be working. Calling attorneys tomorrow. There is more bad service, but I don’t want to bore you!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

On April 21st, 2017 I sent a letter to Solar City's customer service demanding to have some explanation on of my monthly bill from $110.19 to $297.19 after being charged $4600 by PG&E for overusage. On December 17/2016 a second set of panels were installed on the front roof after analysis of the representative finding that our first set were only producing 75% of our energy's usage. I specifically ask him if tie change would affect my bill which he reassured me that my bill will remain the same and the second set was just to correct a mistake made by the previous representative.

After complaining numerous times and demanding to talk to both representative I was surprised to find out that both representatives have abruptly left the company and the manager in charge of accounts was acting like he never aware of what was going on the all time. Today we are struck with a bill and a terrible service for 20 years. If someone can help resolve this issue outside this terrible company's scope please don't hesitate to reach out to me. Thanks!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I recently bought a house with solar panels. In all honesty I was not happy that the existing contract was with SolarCity after hearing rumors about their poor customer service and inflexible contracts. My first experience is during the transfer period when I repeatedly had to request that someone come out and explain the system to us in person since we did not establish the original contract. They continued to insist on explaining things over the phone. Secondly just over a month ago I learned of the Tesla merger/acquisition and began to research what is currently being offered. Unlike my contract that I will only have the option to purchase the panels at year 5 with a personal loan, new clients are being offered purchasing outright with financing through the company.

When I inquired about the ability to upgrade to newer technology being offered such as Tesla roof and battery that would power my home in the event of a power outage I was told that I cannot upgrade. Medical equipment, cell phones and cable companies offer upgrades and I am extremely confused as to why if there is improved technology for a cleaner environment why wouldn't a company offer its clients an upgrade. When asked to speak with a supervisor it was like I was asking for the code to nuclear bombs. With new purchase options new clients also get a one-time tax credit of over $11,000.

After pulling the name of the supervisor out of the agent I spoke with she simply said her name was "Co **" then I had to pull out her title which I was told was supervisor of concierge department. I was also told that the supervisor would be in touch with me either by phone or email but I never received either. It deeply bothers me that I am stuck with a company that does not value its clients. Sadly I cannot stand behind a company that pay for services from. In a nutshell extremely poor customer service, no opportunity for clients to stay up to date or on the same playing field as new clients.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Had to deposit $49 just to get a quote. They then said that I needed to pay an additional $500 for a cash quote (that is supposed to be fully refundable - still waiting a month - even after declining their offers). Now I'm paying interest on all that money since I had to use credit card for quote since they claim they will send refund via snail mail in a letter. This is too freaking weird and shady. I'm wondering if I'll ever get my money ($550 now) returned. In addition, I'm out the interest until I get refund to pay credit card off. Seriously steer clear of this company, including when they convert to Tesla completely. Same business. I should've never done transactions with them. My advice is to stay away from a company such as this until they offer free and clear quotes without some stupid deposit like the rest of the industry.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

Very disappointed in actual savings that the salesman spoke about during his sales pitch. My savings in the summer months in Tucson have been roughly 30 dollars per month. I have called them to ask them to review my bill or install more panels to generate more power and customer service is always a wait to get through to them and they sound very scripted with their answer "You must be using more power than you're generating." They have not sent anyone out to review my usage and the difference between what they said I would save and actual savings, and I have asked. My most recent interaction is regarding my inverter. It is not functioning and will be not functioning for 10-15 days this month.

I will not be generating solar energy because their equipment is malfunctioning and that is the time frame they gave me for repair. I have called customer service and it took them more than 48 hours to get back to me and I requested they prorate my account for this month as I am not receiving services for 10-15 days so why should I pay for services not received? Their reply was they don't do that, and I might be reimbursed for energy not generated in 2019 when they review my account for 2017-2019. This month I will be paying a higher amount to my electric company as I didn't generate solar power and will still be paying the full amount to Solar City. Extremely frustrating and disappointing experience with this company with the lack of savings and the underwhelming customer service.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

We were sold on the idea by a SolarCity sales represent to get panels installed. We went through their process smoothly and super fast. SolarCity sent emails and contacted us continuously. They were quick to schedule our roof inspection. Their roof inspector for came and cleared our roof for installation of the panels and again SolarCity quickly scheduled the installation. The installation was done within that same week (in July 2016). 1 year later we started noticing leaks on our roof. The worst was in our daughter's bedroom where the creaking cracked and water was leaking heavily. We called SolarCity and let them know. On September 5 their the roof inspector (Tesla employee) inspected the roof and told us we would hear from Solar. It's ASAP. A full week went by and didn't get a call or email from SolarCity.

We called them and were told that they had made the decision that they were not liable for the roof and we would have to pay to have our roof replaced and pay them $500 to remove the panels to get the work done. We asked for their deduction in writing as to why they felt they were not liable for the roof and the copy of the report. Each time we were told that someone would call us with more info. We are still waiting for a call or an email. We have called them at least 7 times requesting in writing their decision and they have Not sent us anything. They are no longer taking our calls and refuse to send us anything in writing. When we now call they tell us the same thing, "We will have one of the supervisor call you," and we continue to wait. We managed to get a report from the o let representative that was willing to help but now can never get in touch with.

They saw red flags with our roof prior to install that we could have taken care of. The installation of the panels should have never been done. They were so ever to install that they accelerated the damage to our roof. Solar City was dishonest and didn't give us a chance to avoid the severe damage that we now have on our roof. They don't feel liable for their dishonesty and negligence. We are requesting that they send us in writing their decision and the reason as to why they feel they are not liable. Our home insurance needs that Information as well as the people that have to give us quotes. Everything is on hold while SolarCity continues to deny us the paperwork to help us get our roof fixed. Fall is here then, we've had a few days of rain and water keeps leaking through our ceilings.

The damage is getting worst, we are now unable to use both of my daughters' bedrooms and the bathroom in our room. We are worried about the mold that forming and more water continuing to damage not only the roof but now inside water damage to our home. It is getting unsafe and yet SolarCity has no regard or worry for our safety. SolarCity (as well as Tesla) have no regard for our safety. They are so eager to install in homes and being negligent and dishonest with the consumers. BEWARE OF THEIR GREED.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Biggest scam ever. I’m contacting a lawyer in the morning. Their guys in Home Depot will ruin your life. We’re on a fixed income and our two bills, yes I said two bills one from PG&E and SolarCity robbing you. See the electric company gets very upset when you go solar. I’m so freaking mad right now??? I’m not easily taken advantage of but these guys lie so much to get their commission. No trust these **. They rip you off. SolarCity is a scam.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

My journey with SolarCity started almost 5 years ago. Yes, I should have looked more closely and read the 12 pages of small print, but I trusted the friendly and charismatic salesperson. It's only much later that I realized I had "prepaid" my electricity and when I did the math, I saved almost nothing. When the 20-year-term is up, I will have recouped my initial $6,000 prepayment. Annually, I get a bill from SCE, this time for $320. At this point, I'm almost at the cost per year that I was at before I installed solar panels. In the meantime, SolarCity got all the tax incentives and rebates. The business model works for them, not so much for the customer.

A year or so ago, I contacted SolarCity about buying a Tesla vehicle. I wanted to know how much power they used and whether I would need more solar panels. They told me it was impossible to estimate that (!!) and that I couldn't add panels under my plan, that the current system wasn't expandable. In other words, they told me I would need another system added on (or the current one replaced) and a new contract. Wow! I went online to get an estimate of the electricity needs of a Tesla S and found some information. I would need a larger array for sure.

In hindsight I wish I had purchased the solar panels, but I'm pretty sure that 5 years ago, they didn't offer a loan and I didn't have enough cash to buy the whole system, so I prepaid. I wouldn't do this again, and I sure wouldn't hire SolarCity again. Why? I want to be able to trust the company I patronize and I want the company to be responsive to my needs. SolarCity is neither trustworthy, nor responsive. I sincerely hope that things will improve now that Tesla is in charge although even before SolarCity was Elon Musk's brainchild and look what happened... The thing is, I was a fan in the beginning. I love renewable energy, but it looks like I paid dearly for my environmentalism instead of truly saving money in the process, too.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

Have tried multiple times to understand my bill with little help from customer service. We've been told our system is connected to the gateway and have yet to get someone out to look at it after several attempts. I currently hate SolarCity.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

Beware!!! The salesman promised that I would pay less than I used to pay to Baltimore Gas & Electric (BGE). Instead, I am paying less to BGE and MUCH MORE to SolarCity! I feel they are worse than a used car dealership-- tell me anything to get me to sign on the dotted line. Shame on SolarCity for such deception!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

When you see the advertising it's easy to get fooled into thinking this is a great company. Upon signing up they made many promises including upgrading panels if needed for no cost as well as that I would save money. Instead each year my PGE sends me a bill for 500-1500 each year additional. They want in one lump sum. So between that lump sum and monthly payment of over $100 I demand to know where my savings is?

In addition the system was not working for who knows how long. Took them forever to come out and when I showed them my bill that I keep getting from PG&E they said I could cancel the contract then later acted like they never stated this. This contract is absurd that I would be stuck with something that is NOT saving me a dime. This is false advertisement and has cost me more... It would have been cheaper to NEVER get this system and they put a UCC lien on my house that If I move I'm still stuck paying for the system for 25 years~! This should be illegal.

When I called customer service they had a "I don't care about you" attitude and said basically, "Tough nuggets. You signed the contract. You're stuck!" Even if it doesn't work and isn't enough panels. I was promised a Tesla upgrade for storage of power etc. It's all be lies and BS. Companies like SolarCity need to be shut down for false promises and false advertising. It's a total ripoff. I will come back to upload further info with acct and receipt and repeated emails and stating systems wasn't working and they don't know for how long and they have never maintained as promised.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I had my system activated in March 2017. The system operates but was under-designed and only offsets my electric bill by 40%. The design of the system is way under the energy usage. My home is in Tucson and we obviously have enough sunshine here. The way it was cased out to me was that it would generate enough KW to offset 78% of my demand based on electric bills that I supplied them. My last electric bill was $189 plus the lease payment of $74 a month. What their estimate to me was an average electric bill of $30 plus the lease payment. I have called them numerous times and they refuse to help by adding additional panels to provide me what they should have done from the beginning. If you read this and are considering using them, I wouldn’t use them.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

We have been with Solar City for almost 2 years. While our experience with energy production has been great, our recent ongoing experiences with customer service have been horrid! When we initially signed on with SolarCity, we knew that we would not be in our home for more than 2-3 years. We diligently asked questions and confirmed parts of the contract. The Solar City contract gives you 3 options when selling your house: 1) the buyer takes over your lease 2) you pay off the panels and leave them for the buyer to use at no cost or 3) you take the panels with you.

When we had them installed, we knew the town we wanted to relocate to did not allow panels and asked if none of the 3 options were possible what would happen. We were told that 98% of buyers want to keep the panels. However if for some reason they didn't and we couldn't take them to our new home, that Solar City would remove the panels (at our cost) and take them back. Well, now that it's time for that to happen, we are finding out that it isn't true and that Solar City does not stand behind anything their representatives tell customers.

Now that our home is weeks from closing, Solar City is making our transaction nearly impossible. The people buying our home do not want the solar panels on the roof. Period. Even after telling Solar City this, they required a call with the home buyers who really did not want to speak with them. Even after the home buyers reiterated that they were not interested, Solar City would not make a clear plan on how the situation would be handled. After hours upon hours of calls and emails over the last week, they continue pushing for us to move the panels to our new home.

After reiterating that the town we are moving to doesn't allow them (due to having a municipal electric plant) and even having them call themselves, they still will not work cooperatively towards a solution. We have shown them that the contract does not have any information regarding what happens in this situation and have provided the info given to us by our salesperson, however we still cannot get anyone to reasonably help us so we can get the solar panels off the roof to complete the sale of our home. If you are in your forever home, the solar is great and saves a lot of money. If there is any chance you are moving within the next 20 years, you should think twice before signing up for Solar City!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

SolarCity started billing for what they call "Non-ACH Payment" fee of $7.50. When questioning the fee, their supervisor Logan explained that it is an administrative fee for processing paper checks and that I need to sign up for auto pay. Well, they are not receiving paper checks from me, I'm making the payments electronically through their website which is an electronic payment. He was rude and showed lack of basic customer service skills. He refused to waive the monthly fee even after I told him I would not refer SolarCity to anyone that is interested in getting solar panels. We are not even saving the money they told us we would be saving. I definitely do not recommend them, once you sign that contract, they don't really care about their customer.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

When you see the advertising it's easy to get fooled into thinking this is a great company. I was wrong. I feel like when I first signed up they weren't very up front. They talk up all the good things and none of the downsides. For example no one ever told me that once a year I'd get a bill from PGE for 1500 dollars on top of what I pay SolarCity which essential negates all the savings from having these panels. Also after a family of pigeons started living under my panels they sent some maniacs to my home who put netting on the panels and left injured and dead birds all over my yard and a bunch of bird poop that I had to clean up. My kids were pretty upset seeing dead birds flipping around on their yard.

When I called customer service they had a tough nuggets type of attitude. I'm a nurse. Before I do a procedure or give a patient medications I explain the benefits and side effects of whatever we are going to do. Companies like SolarCity get to hide it in the fine print. We all know that PGE rips us off for electricity but SolarCity acts like they are a better alternative. My experience is now I'm just stuck dealing with two companies that are ripping me off. Sick of this stuff.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

My husband and I had solar panels put on our home roughly 5 yrs. ago. We were very direct and stated that within the next few years we would need to have the roof replaced, and the sales representative advised that there would be no problems or cost to have the panels temporarily taken off and then placed back on. Fast forward to now and we are being told it is $1000 for this to happen. We have both made multiple calls to the customer service department who insists that a manager will call us back, and there has been no callback. We received one very condescending email and that was it.

The last rep went as far to tell us when they merged with Tesla they were aware of salespersons giving false information to get the contract signed hence why they changed their sales techniques. I am beyond frustrated! They will not take the panels off the roof, they cannot give me any kind of straight answer or even attempt to work with me on the lie my husband and I were told.

SolarCity Company Information

3055 Clearview Way
San Mateo
www.solarcity.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use