It's that easy Request Information
1.26/5
Based on 80 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 2006, SolarCity has strived to be the national leader in clean energy services and has become America’s largest solar provider. We specialize in residential and commercial solar systems. We provide energy at a lower cost than paying for energy generated by burning coal, oil and natural gas.

Our mission is to see millions adopt clean energy services, which in the long run will save them from rising electricity costs. We will work with you through the entire process and will provide ongoing monitoring and repair services. Call today for more information!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

499 SolarCity Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 13, 2018

Solar associates at The Home Depot claim they work for Tesla. On day of appointment, they stated that their technicians were busy so they chose to call me instead. The number showed up as a toll free number but showed as unknown. I asked if they can send me a brochure and a business card, but the associate stated that ELON MUSK prohibits to do business like that. Right away, it smelled like a scam.

Get expert buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Solar City and Tesla... all fine until you need a roof replaced. It June 6 and I was told that I must wait until August 21 to take them down to replace my roof. They could care less about the roof damages or my home, just so l long as they get their monthly fee. Don't do it! It's not worth the trouble. It's simply not!

Original review: June 6, 2018

In July 2015 we decided to lease a solar system from Solar City because they partnered with Sacramento Municipal Utilities District (SMUD). Everything went smoothly, we loved being energy conscious citizens. By the end of the first year we realized we were not saving as much money as we were lead to believe we would. In fact, we had saved $150! OK, so long conversations with our solar rep, presentations, etc., we continued as somewhat happy customers. Then, we bought our retirement property and decided to sell our Sacramento house to save money. Contacted Solar City which is now Tesla, told them, our situation to which they referred us to the Tesla Transfer Team.

After a few messages left, I received a call from my rep, given my options (with the omission of solar system removal costs). Our best bet is having the buyers purchase the lease with some tempting offers. The buyers tried to contact our rep, it appears he was out of town, so his colleague said she would have someone call our buyer back. No one called our buyers! No one, even after I left a message on the department manager's voicemail. This inexcusable exercise in poor customer service which upset our buyers and now they don’t want the system. Spoke with my rep who denies their calls were left unanswered and then hits me with the “system removal cost” card! “How much is that!” He doesn’t know! How could he not know, he knew all the other answers!

By now I am red with anger but controlled with him, gave him my demands for system removal, to which I was told it will take 3-7 business days to get an answer. My escrow closes soon! What happens now? Obviously, Solar City/Tesla doesn’t care! What happened to all the friendly faces, happy sales reps, people eager to take our money but not eager to help solve my problem? I am so unhappy with Solar City/Tesla’s lack of customer follow-up, incomplete solar system parameters for optimization of the system and will never recommend Solar City or Tesla.

Original review: May 24, 2018

Numerous problems since the install. The installers broke several tiles and attempted to cover it up by using silicone to piece some back together. They have been out several times since and still have not repaired all of the broken tiles. Now, we are experiencing a major problem with pigeons roosting under the panels. Our rain gutters are full to the top with pigeon poop near every section of panels on our roof. A neighbor of mine who has a lease through SolarCity was having a similar issue and called them up. They said they would send someone out to her to do a cleanup, and install a barrier around the panels to keep the pigeons out at no charge. I called SolarCity only to find that they wanted to charge me $985 to send someone out to do the work once they found out that I had purchased the panels and not leased them. This is something that should have been done during installation, as they knew this would become an issue.

Original review: May 23, 2018

May 23, 2018... Over 8 months ago, I inquired about adding some solar panels to our existing SolarCity system and through delay after delay, 8 months worth, I am informed, "We won't; be able to add any panels to your roof". The original installation left us generating over 3000 kw's SHORT of our needed annual energy needs. I then had a SDGE monthly bill, settled on an annual basis, PLUS the SolarCity bill. I was saving practically nothing... in fact, I had to pay SDGE $760 MORE for use of their energy for 2017.

The constant delay, after I wanted more panels, involved no return of communication for questions I had, phone calls never answered by a person/always by a machine, and usually no return call, sending in countless SDGE copies/bills, etc, as per their request, an estimated cost to me of $6200 to dig a trench about 200 ft long, (I refused), and finally a call that said, "We cannot install any more panels on your existing roof:.." what a total waste of time with this rep of SolarCity. I have a 20 yr lease with SolarCity and will honor it, as I keep my word/trust, BUT... I will make other arrangements to offset my ever increasing costs from SDGE because SolarCity DID NOT alleviate the situation in any way. I am totally upset that they could not? Would not... first, have a responsible person on this project and 2nd... the total waste of their time and mine for 8 months. Such a poor connection to their customers... or maybe just for me???

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SolarCity?

Original review: May 17, 2018

Very disappointed with SolarCity. We installed this system in the spring of 2013. After some initial problems with the inverter it has worked flawlessly until March 24th of 2018. It shorted out that day due to heavy rain. I contacted SolarCity (now Tesla Solar). They did some checks on their side and determined that the system had shorted out. The remedy was to replace all of the solar panels with new panels. I thought ok, no problem. After all they would pay for all of it. Then communication with Tesla Solar became difficult. I received an email asking for my approval for the new install plan. I replied twice granting my approval.

I finally called customer support because I did not receive a confirmation back from them. They said they had not received my emails and confirmed my verbal agreement to the new installation plan. Since that conversation I have received no calls or emails about my problem. I finally called two days ago and asked for an update. They said there was a production problem due to failure of so many of their panels. I asked if they could use panels from one of the installations of a new customer to fix mine. They said they would check on that but no guarantee. So I currently have a five year old system sitting on my roof producing zero power. I am not a happy solar camper at this point.

Original review: May 4, 2018

From start to finish we had the best overall experience with the purchase, design, installation and use of our solar panel system. We went this route after 3 other friends recommended this to us (actual users). The process went smoothly, they kept us informed every step of the way and never missed being on time for any appointments. Every bit of email and phone contact that we have had with this company has been professional, informative, timely and accurate. I had no issues setting up automatic payments and never felt as though my personal information was compromised. Yes, they do charge a fee if you do not accept the autopay feature, but that is true with a lot of other industries as well. Look at ANY of your insurance contracts, you'll see the same terms, but most likely they are not as upfront as this company, so if the terms are hidden you probably don't even realize it.

The other positive is the app that we can monitor our system with. Our system has outperformed all the specs that we received prior to moving forward. I believe if you are considering this switch, at least in Pennsylvania, you need to look deeper than a few online reviews. SolarCity was acquired by Tesla, and that is who installed our system. Maybe these complaints are from systems purchased prior to that acquisition. SolarCity has installed nearly 400,000 systems throughout the US. I am sure it depends on the market region.

Original review: May 2, 2018

We first started the paperwork with Solar City in February. We went live in late August. Within just a couple of weeks we started getting high voltage error messages every other week or so. Solar City said, not their problem, "It's your electric service." After a couple of weeks of this, (with Delmarva coming out twice to change out our output lines) then, we started getting that message every day, and it was at that time that we had several electrical failures of appliances, well bladder tank, both freezers, computer etc. Still, no one would take responsibility. Solar City actually told me, the electric company doesn't understand solar, they just send guys out to stand around for 20 minutes. It's not on our end, it's on theirs.

Delmarva Power came out again, did something on their lines, and our problems stopped. This was in late fall. All winter we did not have a problem. As soon as we started getting longer, warmer days, it started up again. I called Delmarva Power last week. The same poor guy showed back up. He took me outside and said look: he showed me the voltage coming into the system was peaking at 261. As soon as he shut down the solar system, it went back down into the acceptable range around 120/140. He turned it on, and shortly thereafter it was peaking again over 250. I called Solar City and they scheduled an appointment 10 days out. So my system has been off during the first sunny warm spell of the season.

I called today to see how reimbursement works. Guess what? It doesn't. They will do a performance review every 2 years. If at that point my performance is average, then it's all good for them. If it's below average, they will reimburse me. (At this point about 18 months down the road.) Yes, I still have to make my monthly lease payments. Yes, I had to pay for every single repair, replacement of things that got fried. This is so frustrating.

Original review: April 24, 2018

My system was installed late 2015, problem after problem. From billing to my system being offline for long periods of time. Difficult to get someone out to figure out why the system keeps going offline. After about a year they finally put a receiver in my laundry room and that solved the problem. My production has never met their calculations, I pay just about as much as I did for electricity. They damaged my tile roof installing the system, assured me they would repair any broken tiles. After about a month they finally came out and repaired the tiles.

Fast forward to 2018, my roof had a large leak where they "repaired broken tiles". Come to find out they used a sticky mastic to gingerbread tiles together, what a joke then said the leak was caused by me. Unbelievable, there are so many issues I don't even know what to list. I do know they were high pressure sales and install and having me sign the contract. DO NOT FALL FOR THE LIES! IT'S A SHAM. You can see for yourself with the dozens on complaints listed on this website. Very unfortunate for a homeowner that's trying to do the right thing, then being taken advantage of after trusting a company to do professional work and stand behind their product.

Original review: March 28, 2018

Worst customer service AFTER they lock you in for a TWENTY-YEAR contract. I called 12 months after we had our panels installed because we weren't saving as much energy as they promised they would. These panels are really ugly, so I didn't want them at first but figured if they saved us SO MUCH MONEY on power that is was worth a try. WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. They suckered me into adding even more ugly panels onto the roof. One year after that, we had roof damage due to a bad wind storm and they want to charge me double for removing the roof when they duped me into getting two systems in the first place. I am currently trying to find a way to get out of it.

Original review: March 21, 2018

Great service on the front end, nice people, etc. Panel installers arrived on time. Installed system after a 2 month wait. I have a whole house generator system so I was concerned about wiring installed. I have ATS for system. I ask the electrician on site if he was a master electrician. He stated no but one was available, never arrived on site. The installers installed the ground rod, next day survey came out to mark my yard so installer would not damage any of my underground utilities. After waiting several weeks for city inspector the install failed inspection. Installers came back "corrected" the issue, wait a couple more week for re-inspection, conduit was again placed too close to electrical box, had to get variance to proceed.

Never received notice to activate system, spoke with SolarCity several times. Finally received go ahead to activate system, the phone app updated days later.

A month later received phone call that system was shutting down throughout the day and they need to come over and correct issue. I wait two weeks for appointment, they cancelled and rescheduled. Just called today and found out the appointment is scheduled for this week, NO communication. I call MySolarCity earlier today and the guy said "I not going to lie to you" I thought well that good but he did not help. This is my experience. The solar install was over 30 panels.

Original review: March 20, 2018 9KW System. SolarCity was very active since my initial contact until first payment and installation. Roughly a month, though some delays were on my side in reviewing and questioning. Since installation I have been waiting a month for accurate input be shared with Electric Company. Delays within SolarCity. It seem like a month that I have an electric bill when I should not. My timeline: January 8 - First Proposal. January 21 - All parties completed Documentation

January 21 - Initial $500 payment. January 21 - Site survey scheduled - this is done online by me at a date I looked for. January 27 - Site Survey. January 27 - Received Documents for signing with Notary. January 31 - Proposed System. January 31 - Questioned the system design.

February 2 - Finally received response that someone will get back to me. February 2 - I signed the proposal as I was told any changes could set back the project. February 12 - System installation scheduled, my choice to delay 2 days enabling a Saturday install. February 14 - Invoice for 50% of balance. February 16 – Payment. February 17 - System installation. Made changes to design during installation. February 21 - Re-design approval. February 22 - Notice on Inspection. February 26 - City Inspection (I was not advised to be home for electrical box inspection).

March 1 - Had to be home for re-inspection inside. March 2 - I check to see if inspection results was send to Electric Company. March 2 - Invoice for final payment. March 7 - No response yet from scheduler, I resend request on results to Electric Company. March 3 - I questioned need for final payment, system is not functioning yet. March 7 - Reminder on payment, no response on my request on why payment. March 7 - Final payment. March 12 - I check with Electric Company, was advised something is missing. A placard is needed and SolarCity did not know. March 14 - Last update from Sales, he went dark for 3 days. His title - Sr. Sales Support Specialist. I am not getting a timeline. March 15 - I shared my gate code with Ops team. March 17 - Was told that they have other scheduled work too.

March 19 - No response yet... System has been installed more than a month, with delays in scheduling inspection and submitting accurate documentation. Once accurate documentation is send to Electric Company, they have 9 -10 weeks according to SolarCity. I will update as I get further input. My suggestion, ensure SolarCity is ready to support your County / City / Electric Company.

Original review: March 6, 2018

It has been a horrible experience from the start. My online account does not work. They are telling me that I am one of the 10000 customers that are running into this issue. They were not able to process my bill and they charged me a chunk of money after 3 months of not being able to charge me because the previous house owners was still registered under the address and his credit card was still associated with the account. To top it off, my gateway does not work at all after they told me it is all good and I should see it working in 24h. Months later it does not work. I have wasted my time and called them multiple times to resolve the multiple issues and only after numerous calls they realized my address was incorrect, my phone number was wrong. Still my online account is pointless, I do not receive billing invoice. My gateway does not work still.

Original review: March 3, 2018

I leased solar from this SolarCity (Tesla now) in January 2015; service was okay until I requested transfer to my new house. Before selling old house I contacted several times discussing options, The seller do not want to assume the lease, then I did not have any other choice rather than transfer. I paid for removal $499, Tesla requested new house roof plan, roof plan was given by builder, on the day of closing, I got a call from Tesla that cannot reinstall in my new house due to some legal issue with SRP.

My previous utility was APS, no issues with APS. Per SRP no legal issues going on, Panels was removed on January 19th 2018, still I am paying bill for SolarCity, Today I got a letter from SolarCity stating releasing contract due to debtor default; I did not understand, how come debtor's default? SolarCity broke the contract, I was told while purchasing I could move anywhere USA with any utility company. On top of everything, the man called me was so rude, told me I would end up paying full amount for the panel which is sitting in their storage, I did not sign the release contract. I never recommend SolarCity to anybody I know.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I took bought a house last year with a 1-year old system installed by Solar City. I took over the 30-year loan on the system. From day one I have been plagued with invoicing errors. Solar City invoiced me for alleged payments owed by the previous owners. I have my loan origination document that clearly states my principal balance when I took over the loan and I disputed the charges. Solar City received a lump sum payment from the original owners paid out of escrow in April. By now it's June and Solar City tried telling me payment was not received until some time later (resulting in interest charges) and I had to chase it through escrow and verify that yes, the funds were immediately distributed. Every single month I received incorrect invoices and had to call them and dispute every time.

I had signed up for auto-pay. After a few months, they stopped withdrawing my auto-payments without informing me. Interest accrued on my account. I thought I got it resolved, but a few more months later of still no auto-pay and I inquired, they told me I had to call or email to authorize payments because my account was complicated. I don't understand how/why it's so complicated. So I authorize my Jan 2018 payment and they send me a receipt saying payment received. Receive my Feb invoice and the numbers are off again and show no reduction in principal balance. Inquire again, and they say January payment didn't really go through (so I look at my checking account and verify no transaction) and I have 3 months of accrued interest brewing. I schedule a payment of $100 and confirmed with my checking account - yes it went through this time.

I'm angry and over it so I request a payoff quote. The payoff quote is more than $200 than the principal balance on my last invoice. I dispute it. They insist the payoff is accurate, citing I have $75 in accrued interest. I remind that I made a $100 payment that should negate that $75 plus some, if that were true. I ask them to send me some sort of balance sheet showing a running total with my payment history. They refuse. Really? It's simple amortization! At this point, I'm paying off the loan and saying screw it. Me paying an extra $100-$200 that I don't expect to get back is worth the savings in future interest avoided as well as not having to deal with their financing dept. ever again. I reported them to the State of California.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

We've had our SolarCity system for over 18 months and it's been offline about half that time. The main issue is a reoccurring problem with the power inverter. Apparently, there is a common problem with the electronic board that communicates with the wireless gateway. They've replaced it once already, as well as added a wireless range extender (which they just asked me to disconnect since the problem returned). My complaint however isn't ultimately with the poor functionality of the system, it's with the fact that they bill me regardless of whether the system is actually working! For nearly two years I've paid BOTH SolarCity AND my regular utilities provider (in my case BGE) every month for the SAME power consumed.

One of their customer service reps advised that my bill is for the lease of my panels and not the power consumed. I'm aware of the details of my contract. I'm also aware that as part of that lease, it is expected that the panels will generate electricity not simply serve as an unsightly adornment on my roof for aesthetic purposes. I'm paying for a service. I've been told for months that once my inverter begins working again, SolarCity will be able to get an accurate reading from it and issue a credit. That hasn't happened. There is no end in sight here. I've tried to remain optimistic but you're not making this easy SolarCity. Not at all.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I am 100% satisfied with my 5.4 kW system that is on my townhouse. The expectations were set upfront, and I knew that I would have to do a little work with email communication (no big deal). I was able to have a competitive quote price matched after my contract was signed and before my installation was approved by the county and the utility. They did a great job of educating my family and I to get the system up and running. A+++.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I was lied to when I signed up for the installation of the solar panels. I was told I would only be paying for the energy I used from the production. Then when my bill was 3 times as high as I was paying PG&E they claimed they put too many panels on my house and that I was to pay for the production, not for what I was using. About six months later as my bill continued to increase one of the people on the phone let it slip that I wasn't even being monitored and that I was paying an estimate of what they thought the panels would produce. I took them to small claims court and won. I am now on a set fee per month but I have to pay it manually every month because for over a year they can't be bothered to get my billing straightened out so that I can be on auto pay.

The last time I complained they offered me a dining discount that was worth about $3.00. They claim it is a software problem and won't admit that this is their way of punishing me for winning in court. They have lied to my face. Lied over the phone and their representative at small claims court was rude and dismissive. I tell everyone I meet considering solar for their home to stay away from SolarCity.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

First couple of years, we saw great savings in our electr. bill; however as time goes by, the monthly lease payments go up (1 of the few things they did warn us about) and the "true-up" bill to the electr. co. at the end of the year has grown to about $1400/yr. So we're only saving about $30/month over the pre-solar costs & they will narrow down even more as time goes by.

And, around here anyway, having leased solar makes your home darn near unsellable; understandable that nobody wants to get roped into these 20-yr contracts that don't allow for you to pay it off early. At the end of the 20 yrs (& NOT before then), you can either extend the contract or let 'em come repossess their panels, etc. And get this: if you decide to move (if you even find a buyer for your house), they'll move your panels to your new place or if you decide to leave the panels with the house, Solar City's "third party loan" company has to approve the buyers taking over the lease.

I heard 1 guy say he was going to just quit making the payments & let 'em come repossess their stuff. Well guess what? If you, like I did, got roped into letting them take the payments auto out of your bank acct--and they really push you to do it this way, "We'll charge you $7.49 less a month, bla bla"--you can't cancel the payments since you didn't set up the autopay thru your bank yourself but set it up thru Solar City, so you have to contact Solar City to stop the payments. Yeah, right; you know what they'll say to that. (That's my bank's policy anyway; maybe yours would be different.)

Anyway, we're now sitting here in an unsellable house (unless we lower the price down to "give-away" level). They should really give people the option of paying the loan off early; but neither of us had ever leased anything before & feel like we were rushed thru the reading & signing of the contract. So don't lease solar & don't set up auto payments thru anybody but your bank.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

SolarCity (Tesla) installed my solar panels in October and as of today, February 6, 2018, I cannot turn them on. The entire month of January I was told by SolarCity that they had submitted everything PGE needed only to find out that they had not submitted the final building permit. I called SolarCity so many times to check on the status and was repeatedly told they did not need to do anything. The only reason I found out that SolarCity needed to submit a building permit is because someone at PGE helped me to extract the details. I call and call and no one does anything. PATHETIC service.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

This review is meant as a 'heads up' when using this company for Solar - not necessarily a 'don't go there'. The one star review is a direct reflection of this part of my experience with this company - not the whole experience. I had my solar panels installed by SolarCity just under a year ago (2017) and up to now-had been very satisfied with most of the experience. There was a delay between the solar installation and 'going live' but, all in all - it went smoothly and all summer my panels generated a significant amount of solar energy. I lease the system as opposed to having purchased it. I am very upset with the company right now. I have skylight on my upper roof (2 story house), my master bedroom, and after a recent significant rainfall, noticed a leak coming from the lower end of my skylight through the drywall ceiling.

We had our professional 'roof man', who has met our roofing needs over the past 40 years, come look at it. Upon checking out the leak and the roof - this had nothing to do with the solar installation, he informed us that this roof, of 28 years (20 yr shingles), was showing significant signs of deterioration in regards to the roofing materials (shingles showing wear) and that the solar panels should not have been installed without addressing replacing the roofing material first. He addressed the leak (minor issue) and I called SolarCity. I was very upset that the condition of the roofing material wasn't brought to my attention at the time of the roof inspection. I was given a 'scripted reply' by the customer service person I spoke with-that when the engineers come out to inspect roofs, the only issue they are concerned with is the 'roof structure and ability to support the panels', they are NOT inspecting the roofing material.

I informed the customer service person that I felt this was unprofessional, misleading and neglectful, because in my mind, a 'roof inspection' is a dual inspection - structure and roofing material integrity. Especially when it is going to cost me ~ $400 to have the solar units removed and put back in order to replace the roof (not even a year later!) I'd asked my sales person after the roofing inspection, specifically about the roof 'being in good shape', only to be assured that 'all was good and passed the engineer's inspection'. I received a follow up phone call from another SolarCity rep after completing their survey, only to hear the same script. I let her know the same thing, most homeowners would think a 'roof inspection' did assess the roofing material and let the homeowner know, prior to installation, that it may need attention.

So - here is my warning: Buyer BEWARE! If you do go with this company, have a professional roofer inspect your roof prior to agreeing to an installation and save yourself the money of having to pay for the labor of removing/replacing the solar because their engineers didn't include the evaluation of the roofing material integrity in your inspection.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I am complaining about your service is very horrible. My bill before I installed your panels was in $80 dollars a month, now is $100 at month & I talk to a representative & she told me if this. If I don’t like this You have to move it. Ok you Solar City thinking this is right pay more money because you yes you lying to the people about it your product.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

We leased the solar system since 2010, the system went down the hill since few years ago and never hit the minimum 7KW for 3-4 years, I called and write them many times a year. No one ever answer or they just sent you an quick email for nothing and never mention the refund. We feel really bad, and will advise everyone who DO NOT DO business with them.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I have over 70 panels on my house and don't see any type of savings. It's actually a cost neutral but cost me money in damages during the winter months. It was never explained how the snow would fall off the panels during the winter months here in Massachusetts. I was told all the benefits, never the cons. I have a 2 story colonial which is covered about 90 percent on my house with the 70 panels. So far we've had these panels for about 3 years and the damage of the snow has cost me $2,500.00 from the damage of my deck pulling away from the house, gutters, and also putting a huge dent on my hood of my truck backing out from the garage.

I called Solar City and asked if they would install some type of snow barrier to avoid the snow falling down. The customer service was very rude and indicated that it was stated in the contract that I was responsible for getting the snow off my panels. I explained the main problem is that the panels are 40 feet from the ground. Again, she indicated that it was in the contract and I was responsible to figure out how to get the snow off the panels. I further explained to the customer service agent that all 4 entries of my home are in line of snow falling which happens when it falls.

I further indicated how my truck was damaged and also the house as well. My main fear is that when this heavy snow falls it could possibly fall on my family and or dogs while exiting my home. Lastly, I asked if I could buy my own barriers and attach them to the panels. I was told by the customer service agent that they are owned by Solar City and I wasn't authorized. I don't know what to do at this point. If I knew this ahead of time I would of never signed the contract. Highly disappointed.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

They failed to explain the Contract as well as took almost twelve months to get the contract sent to us. My room which is on other side of SolarCity power box has destroyed two plasma screen TVs, they need to tell their customers not to put anything on side of wall where power box is. They lied to us about the low payments with SolarCity. It's bogus. What's the point of having panels if they still rely on Electricity to function. We had power outage and thought solar panels would still keep electricity on. But no... solar is not advanced. The furthest Technology we have reached is electricity... Without it we as a humanity go extinct. Super dissatisfied with the SolarCity, scam... and lies... as well as Elon Musk is a fake. Imposter. Liar and a thief.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

SolarCity told me the offset would be about 98% and to remove the panels it would be 400 and 400 to re-install. I am only offsetting by 50% and they want to charge me over 7000 to remove the panels. When brought to their attention, the excuse was they were not in the conversation. The contract states competitive pricing but since SolarCity has specific equipment nobody will give a written competitive price. Misleading information, to me, is unethical.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

These guys have either the worst billing system ever devised for a major company or the worst people trying to manage it. I have had a billing issue with them for over 3 years now, starting with their auto pay system. They would take money without me ever seeing an invoice and at random times during the month. Obviously, that isn't anything many folks would put up with, cancelled that option. So they want to charge me $15.00 a month to pay by check since they set me up under 2 accounts since they messed up the productions calculations.

Plus, they didn't cash checks and credit my account for months, again, not an acceptable practice. In addition, their system and the electric company production records don't jive and they either {a} didn't want to prove up their system or {b} can't prove up anything. Argued with them for over a year and still don't believe the jumbled info they sent. Then they finally set up an electronic pay system, best thing they did in my opinion. HOWEVER, all they did was push the error to that one and those folks are just as bad as the other ones when it comes to resolving the issue.

Then the internet interface was down for 2 months before I could convince them to send a new one, still wondering how if that isn't working how do they know what the system is producing and how it jives with what the utility company is showing. After many complaints and frustrating conversations I had 1 person trying to work with me a few years back, but he couldn't show me where all the money I sent was accounted for. It appears that Solar City has a different view of resolving issues than the average person has, their way or no way. I WILL FOREVER REGRET EVER DOING BUSINESS WITH SOLAR CITY...

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

Well Ramon “Mone” was here at my house giving me the moon and the stars (nothing personal with the guy) but when it came to the estimated amount of money I was going to spend I was over 20 buck of my original bill. He promises a new electrical panel for free (lie #1). Also he says that I was going to get an amount on my taxes (lie #2). He promises next day installation (lie #3). And I can keep going with the lies I got. End up not getting Solar ** because I went to my lawyer with the contract and he just look at me and laughed. BEFORE you do anything please do more research with other companies. Also Solar ** people don't stop emails and phone call and the harassment. I am happy I didn't get this foony company.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I am very disappointed with the service. I had Solar City install panels on my roof 7 months ago. For 4 months on and off, the equipment was faulty and they changed some parts and still no luck, finally they changed the entire box in the garage, but now I am faced with a $800 bill so far in my TRUE UP from Edison and this is just for 7 months only, besides on what I pay monthly to Solar City as per the agreement. The equipment did not produce enough and I do not know what to do? Solar City cannot help out. Please advise what can be done here? My estimated first year of production is supposed to be at 7826 kWh. My Solar system size is 5.2 kW DC. Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

We bought a house that previously had SolarCity solar panels installed. Months later we found out the roof was leaking down a wall causing major damage. This shingle roof was not the appropriate roof for this house and needed replacement with a tar Roof. No roofing company would guarantee a shingle roof on this house and after many calls to Solar City regarding installing on this roof I have an email from Solar City stating they agreed on a tar roof from their Regional Mgr. So we signed a contract to De-install for new roof and re-install for $499 before the 2016 rains started. The roof was done but the roofing company couldn’t coordinate with Solar City to install panels and they finished the roof before the rain. The home is under Property Mgmt who were paying the Solar Bill that had not been installed each month unbeknownst to us.

Solar City contacted us regarding bill a few months later and we told him the story who passed it on to his Regional Mgr. We would like panels re-installed. Months go by and finally they ask would we break contract and we said yes either way but we weren’t going to pay for non-installed solar. I email 2-3 people each month regarding having the matter decided and today Dec 20th, they say we have to pay $499 (de-install/re-install fee) (never was reinstalled since August 2016). All Solar payments up until this month! Even though we have been waiting for their decision on installing panels or breaking contract! So now the price they want is $1100! I believe maybe it should be 1/2 of the $499.

SolarCity expert review by Zachary Shahan

SolarCity is by far the largest residential solar installation company in the United States. It is also one of only a few companies vertically integrated, offering installation and financing while also including a manufacturing arm.

• Market share: With 26 percent of the residential solar market in 2013, SolarCity had more than 3 times the market share of #2 Vivint Solar and about 4.5 times the market share of #3 Verengo Solar. A strong market share indicates the company is performing well and attracting customers, and the wealth of experience can also be very useful for customers.

• Vertical integration: Vertical integration can (theoretically) allow SolarCity to offer customers a better deal. Greater efficiencies, economies of scale and a more secure process can mean lower prices for customers.

• Various financing options: Homeowners, businesses, or organizations can get solar leases, PPAs, loans, or pay for their systems in cash with SolarCity.

• Leasing: SolarCity has a strong preference for solar leasing and PPAs, as it makes more money from these options. SolarCity may try to steer customers towards leasing or PPAs when it would actually be in the customer's best interest to use a loan to purchase a system.

• Acquisition: SolarCity reportedly has relatively high customer acquisition costs, which could result in higher costs for consumers.

• Best for: homeowners, small and large businesses, government agencies, nonprofits, leasing and PPA customers, solar beginners and cash and loan consumers.

Profile picture of Zachary Shahan
Zachary Shahan

Solar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.

SolarCity Company Information