toll free

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

SolarCity

We are so happy to hear that you had a great experience with us, Danielle. We work very hard to provide top of the line service and are thrilled to hear that you received our best. Thank you for helping create a greener environment and thank you for choosing to do so with SolarCity!

Original review: April 30, 2016

I signed up for Solar City 4 years ago (lease) and I recently had additional panels installed because of SDG&E's upcoming rate increase. Although I would have loved to purchase solar panels, it was just not affordable for me. There were no surprises for either installation. Everything was explained and communication from Solar City was consistent. My first install was on the garage so the county inspected the work. The latest install went on the house. Appointments for installation happen very quickly after the lease is signed. It is scheduling the inspections that seem to take a lot longer--anywhere from 2 weeks to a month. This has NOTHING to do with Solar City (read some complaint reviews blaming Solar City for long hair for inspections).

Unbeknownst to Solar City, the state had to do the inspection. The county inspector who was sent out is how we all learned that the inspection had to be done by the state because it is a manufactured home on a solid foundation. Right then, I knew this was going to be a long wait. Aaron ** and his team were in constant contact with the state securing the proper paperwork needed and getting contracts to me from the state declaring that I am the owner and to verify serial and model numbers of the house. It was a 2 month wait to get an appointment with a state certified inspector and Solar City was in constant communication with me apologizing which they did not need to do because they do not have control over the inspections.

No need for me to me to be upset with either the state or SC because I have no control over them. SDG&E approved turning on the second system within 2 days of the inspection (they can take up to 2 weeks, also). Now I enjoy seeing all my bar graphs in the negative. Although I pay more for the lease in the winter months than I would electricity (lease is fixed), I pay a third of what I would pay for months (June to October) for electricity. Last year, my final SDGE bill was $40.

Solar City is by far the most professional business I have worked with from the sales agent to the technicians and electricians, and follow up technicians. Family and friends who have signed up with them say the same. I got solar so I could reduce my electric bill but also so I know I am helping the environment. So, even though I know I am paying more overall with a lease as opposed to buying, I know I am making a difference environmentally. Solar City made it possible for me to get solar with their lease program.

Solarcity business is a rip off business and in the name of saving Solarcity rip off customers. I was promised 5000KW per year promised and delivered 3500KW but received full payment from customer. I asked many time to solve the issue. The reply from consumer manager was 1. Solarcity does not guarantee to deliver promised energy, 2. Solarcity doesn't guarantee to save money on saving over electricity bill but Solarcity has full rights to continue to abuse the customer over force panels in the roof. I am taking them to court to remove panels from roof. If anyone want to witness judge by a written letter or phone please let me know. My email is **. Thanks for your comments.

Poor Value and Billing. I just got my December bill from Xcel Energy and the charges for electrical use are higher than December 2015. As if SolarCity is not even involved, yet I get bills from them as well. Where is the value? SolarCity billing is irregular and when bills arrive, they are for multiple months. I can't budget this way on a fixed income. SolarCity has no local business office to whom I can turn to resolve issues.

When I bought my house October of last year, it had solar panels from SolarCity. I was given the choice to keep them or have them removed. So I thought... Solar should be good and help and I can also help the environment. What I got was non-disclosure, an inadequate system and bills from Pasadena PWP that were higher than my apartment which was incidentally larger than the house I bought. It took solar city almost a year to figure out that they were charging me for the former owner's new residence (they did eventually pay me back), poor service and the latest interaction being that "your panels are only set up for a 50% offset and you can't change anything until next year." I think that the California dept of consumer affairs and the AGs office should look into their less than honorable business practices... BUYER BEWARE!!!

Dining roof leaked after installation = water all over. Reinstaller said you would send person to repair dining room. This on 10/6/16. No connect with your company since that time. Called 1 Alex ** your representative. NO calls at all from any rep in your company until I contacted 8887652489. Service said at this time 12-2-16 that our file has been closed. No reason given.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SolarCity?

Hello Raul,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and for bringing your concerns to our attention. We apologize that you feel like you aren't saving from going solar, and we'd like to help. Upon looking into your account, we see that a customer relations manager reached out to you on 12/5 and requested your utility bills from one year before and after going solar in order to conduct a thorough savings analysis for you. Please get back to her with this information when you get a chance.

If you need anything in the meantime, please call us at 888-765-2489 option 2. We look forward to hearing from you and appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2016

My electric bill before solar power install was $35 to $75 a month. After solar power I have to pay over $100 a month. SolarCity took over 3 months to send first bill. As soon as I saw it I called them to take it down. I was told I was stuck with it. I did tell my rep that my monthly bill was too small for solar power and I was told my bill would be the same with Solar. After only being able to pay no more than $100 a month now I owe more than at the beginning. At this rate I will never pay it off. They refuse to take it down. I need advise. I feel like I signed a contract with the devil himself. Please advise me what to do. I'm going to go to every home where I see solar panels and see if I can gather 100 people in my situation and find a person to help 100 instead of me alone. I know it will take me time but I have no other way to get rid of SolarCity. Anyone's advice will be appreciated.

It has been an absolute pleasure, working with a very professional SolarCity team. Sales Manager, Patrick **, walked us through every step of the installation process. Every team member was equipped to answer any question we had. The installation crew was prompt, efficient, and worked in a timely manner. The inspectors from the county and power company had nothing but good things to say about SolarCity and the workmanship. My husband had the honors of flipping the switch and levers that turned on the solar system, and everything worked as it should. Now we are enjoying everything solar has to offer. With much appreciation to all of you...

I have gone through 2 great reps and 3 years of SolarCity NOT going through with what they have promised me many times over. One hand doesn't know what the other is doing and they have wasted 3 years of my life in getting solar panels. It is Attorney time as I see that my rep no longer works there. Now they can pay me in order to get my solar panels. See you in court.

Overall we were quite satisfied with the response time in getting the paperwork done and installing the system. The only holdup was on the financial end and it seemed to take quite a while to get that part done so we good go online. We like your concierge service. They are very professional and pleasant to work with.

I have appreciated the service that I get from SolarCity. They have done exactly what they said they would do. I am saving money, and helping the environment. This is a great product. I wish the electric company didn't make it so hard to complete the process.

Hello Anita,

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns and leave this review. We apologize if you feel that you aren't seeing the savings you expected yet. Please keep in mind, solar savings are based on a year's worth of production, and your system has only been on since the end of July. We encourage you to give the system time to see that you will save on energy bills.

In the meantime, we've asked that a member of our customer care team reach out to you to discuss your concerns further.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2016

I have received the past couple months of my electrical bills since installation of the Solar panels. I must say it's still not where they told me it would be. I have contacted them and my electric company. Hopefully someone from SolarCity will help fix this issue.

I have looked into solar panels for my home but was daunted by the initial investment. My SolarCity rep Ray ** helped me find a plan that was right for me. He guided me through the entire process, ensuring that the work on my part was easy and that I understood each step of the process. The installers were fast, efficient and very good about not causing any damage to my house or landscaping. It was plain to see that they were as passionate about their job as my rep was about his. I highly recommend my rep, and thank SolarCity giving me free solar panels and a locked in rate per kilowatt for the next 20 years. Yeah! No more uncontrollable price increases like PG&E.

When the rep came to my house for the first meeting, the first question she asked was, "Why do you want solar panels?" I said that I wanted green energy. Her response was, "That's the right answer." She took me through the process step by step. When I had questions she was able to readily answer them. Based on my electric bill she was able to show me what percentage of my electricity would be solar. Based on a shy view picture of my house I was able to see what the panels would look like on the roof. She laid out the process step by step regarding the initial inspection, permits, installation and certification by NYSEG. Whenever I had questions I was able to call SolarCity and the staff was very knowledgeable and courteous. I have referred 4 friends to SolarCity. I had tried to set up solar panels with another company last year but the quality of the service was lacking. Not so with SolarCity.

Everyone from the sales representative to the crew to customer service was wonderful. If we had questions they would attend to us immediately and take care of us with such care and attention yet they were always professional. We've been recommending to everyone!

Well pleased with installation and knowledge of how the system operates. Polite with my interruptions of questions. Like that the meter runs BACKWARDS before meter changed to a recording meter that shows what I'm producing & the minimum I'm still using.

SolarCity had Switched on my Solar system and after about 3 weeks it was time to check my PG&E account for online payment as we also own a small business with PG&E power. After paying our Business Account bill I proceeded to also pay our Home PG&E Account and it was really a PLEASANT Surprise when our Bill was a Whopping NEGATIVE $76.51 and on top of that it also included our GAS BILL---WOW PG&E owing US---GREAT.

Overall my experience with SolarCity has been very positive. When I had questions or concerns they were addressed in a timely manner. Haven't received my first bill yet but I check my SolarCity account everyday and can see what my system is producing as well as how much I'm saving. I recommend SolarCity to everyone that is thinking about going solar.

I was a bit skeptical at first but I'm happy with the experience. My sales rep Clair was good at explaining the process. The install went smooth and all the inspections are done. Im waiting to see how the electric bill looks now. I would recommend SolarCity.

Everything went in great except that they put in the wrong solar panels. That was almost a month ago. I haven't heard from them since and have tried contacting them on several occasions. I was told they would get right back to me and I have not heard from them. This whole process started out great but now I am very disappointed with my SolarCity experience.

My equipment was installed about one and a half months ago. It was done professionally and efficiently and is working well. I have repeatedly requested a copy of my contract from my solar specialist and my solar concierge so that I can apply for the Federal tax credit. To this date I have not received it.

SolarCity provided the greatest customer experience I've ever received. Issues, which do happen, were resolved expeditiously. The senior consultant and the installers were professional and efficient. Customer service department provided an enhanced customer experience anytime I called. Thank you for the great experience.

Everyone I had dealings with at SolarCity were very professional and answered all my questions and the team that came to put the panels on the roof are very safety oriented and cleaned up all around the house and the yard. Great job!

Wonderful experience with the company. Excellent customer service. My rep is fabulous. She made the whole experience great! I have recommended SolarCity to friends and family. Unfortunately they're not interested. I feel once I've had my system for a longer period and continue to receive excellent customer service they'll follow me. I love the idea of saving nature. I love saving money even more because I'm a broken government retiree living in California!

My system is two weeks old and stop working. SolarCity told me they do not have part. It will take 5-7 working days. New system they could not replace. I tried to get hold of Brendon Merkley (Executive VP Customer Operation). Guess what. You can get hold of him, all the Executives are protected. They above you (customer). Nobody in Solar City will give any information. If get System from Solar City you are your own. By the way I paid $16 K.

Although SolarCity initially came in with a high bid, they were willing to price match their competitors. After that, the experience was exceptional! My energy specialist and installation team did a fantastic job!

SolarCity was recommended to me by a good friend and everything she told us about SolarCity is true. Very professional, on top of the whole project from beginning to end. Everyone I spoke online or on the phone was knowledgeable and very helpful. It was done in a very timely manner. Totally recommend him.

Every step of the way everyone was so helpful and professional. The only hiccups were on my end like discovering I had a wasp nest right where they had to work. The process was very smooth with online document signing and mostly email correspondence. I can't think of a way things could have gone better. I was a little worried the solar panels would be obtrusive but they look like they've always been there. I'm also endlessly geeking out over the SC app on my phone. Overall I'm one happy customer.

I had a great experience with SolarCity and the system is performing as stated. I saved 50.00 the first month. Would have been more but we had 5 or 6 days on PG&E before we got our system turned on. The only negative was the communication with our concierge but if you keep in touch with your sales rep he/she should be able to fix any bumps that come up. I know ours, Preston ** was awesome and engaged any time we called him. Overall we had a great experience and are enjoying our new system.

SolarCity was so easy to work with. Everyone I had contact with was a pleasure. Everything happened exactly according to schedule. I'm so happy to be saving so much money with little to no effort on my part. Thank you SolarCity.

I feel very comfortable and totally satisfied with all the services from SolarCity. All the employees are very professional and gentle. Nice job, nice company! And appreciate for all your service and product.

SolarCity Company Profile