2. Solar Energy

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.62/5
This company is out of businessFind other companies

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Since 2006, SolarCity has strived to be the national leader in clean energy services and has become America’s largest solar provider. We specialize in residential and commercial solar systems. We provide energy at a lower cost than paying for energy generated by burning coal, oil and natural gas.

Our mission is to see millions adopt clean energy services, which in the long run will save them from rising electricity costs. We will work with you through the entire process and will provide ongoing monitoring and repair services. Call today for more information!

View More View More

SolarCity Reviews

Original review: June 22, 2020

We are buying a house that has an existing SolarCity contract. The prior seller had solar panels installed and in exchange for free panels agreed to a 20 year contract, gave the company rights to either solar power tax credits, pays SolarCity for energy generated at market rates that only increase each year, pays all related upkeep costs, and can only leave the contract by paying the "fair market value for the panels." As buyers either we assume the contract or the seller is liable for the remaining value of the contract or paying to move the panels to the new house.

We have tried to contact our representative to get questions answered and they have not acknowledged our emails or calls besides to send us paperwork to sign and take on this contract. Overall, this has been the worst customer service I have experienced in years and we have not even officially became a customer yet. The contract provides no benefit to the customer and all to the company. I would advise anyone looking into solar panels to stay away from SolarCity.

Original review: May 30, 2020

Leased these panels in 2017, stop working in 2018, called several times over the last couple of years. Recently, we had a roof leak and need the panels off, we were told that it would be $499 to remove them and would be 4 months from now (I'll tell the rain to stop!). It gets worse! We then get a call from our bank (who we are refinancing through) that there is a lien on our property from Solar City. I am so upset at these people. What can we do? Can we all file a class action or is there an agency (governing) that can regulate these fools?

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 12, 2020

My Tesla solar system was installed this year and went into production on March 19, 2020. The system only worked 3 weeks, it stopped producing on April 6, 2020, there were no indications or alerts provided that the system is not working. I found out a few days later when I went on my Tesla app to see how much energy system is producing.

After multiple calls with customer service, it was determined that a field agent will have to come onsite to troubleshoot. It took them 3 weeks to schedule a technician to come, technician came on 4/22 and determined the invertor is bad, it needs to be replaced, now they scheduled to replace invertor on 5/15, which hopefully will resolve the issue. While the solar system is down, I'm paying PG&E for consuming electricity, plus also paying the monthly financing charges for the solar system that isn't working for more than month and a half.

When I asked tesla to reimburse for the financing fee for the period while system is down (system down within first month), I was told that Tesla doesn't guarantee production of electricity for the solar system they set up, the warranty only covers fixing the panels if any issues. Another customer wrote a review who got their solar panels 3-4 years ago, and their invertor has been replaced 5 or 6 times already, this is bad and very poor customer experience.

I believe in @Elon Musk for providing technology, but he needs to pay close attention on customer service and not to rip off customers for double-dipping (paying PG&E and also paying for non-functional panels each month). My suggestion to @Elon to fix this process and make sure your product is good and backed by a speedy resolution of issues for existing customers, a happy customer is the best ambassador a brand can have. I would strongly suggest future customers to pay close attention on the contract, make sure the clause for not guaranteeing any production is removed, otherwise, you'll be sorry and facing similar challenges that I'm currently facing.

Original review: May 10, 2020

Three years ago I purchased a SolarCity system for my house after extensive research into them and their competitors. Their price performance seemed the best then and I purchased a approximately annual 9.75kWh system for what I thought was a competitive price. The system delivered 8.2 kWh the first year and there is a subsequent 5% performance degradation each year thereafter. When contacting Tesla, they claim it was a mistake. I think that is unacceptable - If I bought a 200hp car, and it delivers only 160hp, that cannot be a mistake. At the least, take the system back and give me my money back or make me good. They refuse to do that and have been stalling for the last couple of years giving me the classic brush-off. I am considering legal action against them. If there are other Solarcity/Tesla customers who have been similarly duped, I would love to hear from them.

Original review: May 7, 2020

I have had my solar installed when the company was Solar City, in 2014. Since I had the system, my converter had failed 4 times out of the last 6 years. Most recently was December 2019. The converter wasn't fixed until January 2020! But I still had to pay the lease payment and higher electric bills.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SolarCity?

Original review: April 10, 2020

SolarCity is the best website whereas I found solar products information on this website. I would like thank to marketing team who develop solar estimate near every product. That's more beneficial for me.

Original review: March 2, 2020

As you can see, there is nothing but horrible reviews of this company. Since it is now Tesla, some of the stockholders might want to know about how bad it really is. My Solar City/Tesla solar system on our home has not been producing OR REPORTING for over 6 months. I've spent many hours on the phone with customer service/engineering to absolutely no avail. They have acknowledged huge problems with their panels and I can now tell that they are doing nothing but avoiding responsibility. I have a performance guarantee in our contract which states they need to pay me for power not being produced. They are doing all they can to not have to do that. Run, do not walk from this company.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

Tesla, formerly Solar City installed a solar system at my home with a battery backup and inverter to run critical items in the event of a power outage. I met with the project manager to go over what would be wired in the home to power during an outage and was told that lights within the house, appliances such as refrigerator and some outlets inside the home would be connected. I was also told that things like microwave ovens and central heat and air conditioning would not be connected due to the amount of power they require. I agreed and the installation was performed. I did not go back and check the power panel to ensure they installed the service correctly and until recently I assumed in the event of a power outage, my inside lights and food storage would be operational.

A few months ago, the power company needed to shut down power to replace a vault and when my solar system came on line, I was surprised to find that none of my inside lights were working which would be very dangerous at night in a two story home. Instead, what I determined was they wired my microwave oven and the outlets in my garage instead of interior lights. Since this power outage, I have attempted to get Tesla to make the changes to the way my place was wired and not add services, but to connect the correct ones such as lighting and disconnect things such as garage outlets and microwave.

Twice now, after months of waiting I have been denied and was told they can make the changes for a $800.00 fee. I should have inspected the power panel when it was installed I guess to make sure they connected the services we discussed and agreed upon but I assumed they would do as was agreed. I'm now in a position where in the event of a power outage, a slip and fall incident could occur since none of the house lighting is connected or pay them to do what was supposed to be done from the start.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

During year 6 of our solar installation, our system completely failed in July 2019. It is now January of 2020. Techs came-out and said it's the panels have failed and our system needs a total replacement with new panels. Several months ago, I was able to get a return call from Tech/Engineering Dept.. They said our system would have to be re-engineered and reinstalled and would be about a month until I could expect an update. Several months have now passed with no update. Level 1 support says there was an entry in my record (12/19), indicating the Engineering group decided NOT to replace my panels with newer models, but there is no further information. Support says they cannot forward my call to Engineering or anyone else and I just have to wait until somebody decides to move my project along.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

Several months ago the Solar City system on the roof of my AZ home started to malfunction. Solar City said the problem was with the inverter and replaced it. However, the problem was not resolved. A second visit by a now Tesla rep indicated that the problem was with the panels and they needed to be replaced. That was in October. Several telephone calls later to Tesla I have now been told that replacement panels will be available sometime in the first quarter of 2020 with still no schedule for the replacement. Meanwhile I still have to pay Tesla and the power company their monthly fee and for the power supplied to meet our needs. This is costing me over $150 per month. Clearly Tesla clearly wants to install panels that are available on new systems rather than use them to replace defective units. I would not recommend Tesla solar systems.

SolarCity author review by Zachary Shahan

Perhaps the largest residential solar installation company, this California-based subsidiary of Tesla manufactures and installs solar panels, servicing about 275,000 residential and commercial customers in 19 states and Washington, D.C.

• Solar panels: Called Zep solar panels, the panels have smooth skirts that adapt to the contour of the roof to protect it from harsh weather. They have no jagged edges and mounting hardware is hidden.ers.

• Installation: Supervisors of the installing team are NABCEP-certified. The process begins with a consultation where an in-house team discusses whether solar is right for you based on your energy usage and house. The team also takes up warranties, guarantees and costing, followed by the agreement signing. Most solar panel installations only take a day. After inspection and permit approval, the team then turns on the system.

• Various financing options: Homeowners, businesses, or organizations can get solar leases, PPAs, loans, or pay for their systems in cash with SolarCity.

• Leasing: SolarCity has a strong preference for solar leasing and PPAs, as it makes more money from these options. SolarCity may try to steer customers towards leasing or PPAs when it would actually be in the customer's best interest to use a loan to purchase a system.

• Acquisition: SolarCity reportedly has relatively high customer acquisition costs, which could result in higher costs for consumers.

by Zachary Shahan Solar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.

SolarCity Company Information