2. Solar Energy

Massachusetts

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.78/5

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Solar Five sells and installs solar energy systems in Massachusetts and Rhode Island. It can install solar panels on homes, businesses, schools, government buildings and more. The company includes warranties for its products and workmanship. Each customer receives a free quote and a free energy assessment.

BOTTOM LINE

Solar Five is a solar energy system provider operating in Massachusetts and Rhode Island. The company sells residential and commercial systems. It offers financing, lease and PPA options. Customers can request a free quote.

PROS
    • Financing options available
    • Warranties for products and work
    • Free quote and energy assessment
    CONS
    • Only available in two states
    • No price ranges on website

Top Solar Five Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Solar Five?

Having Solar Five was one of the best decisions I made for a home. I've known them through the MESA program. The person we dealt with, as well as their installers, were excellent. I've already recommended Solar Five to others.

I interviewed five different companies. I liked the Solar Five people... and they were helpful with the financing. … Their customer service people were very good, too. They said the process would be completed in 12 weeks and it was done in 12 weeks. I’d recommend them.

What is Solar Five?

Solar Five is a solar energy provider. It provides residential and commercial solar panel systems around Massachusetts and Rhode Island. To make solar power accessible to everyone, its installation process is simple and includes weekly check-ins.

Solar Five is also focused on building community; it creates local partnerships to empower the communities it services with more than just energy solutions. There are several financing options to make solar energy more attainable for all customers.

How does Solar Five work?

For residential customers, Solar Five offers two options. The first is a rooftop solar system. Solar Five will conduct a rooftop inspection to find out whether or not your roof’s materials, pitch and directions are appropriate for a rooftop system. From there, the company will design a solar system package that fits your needs.

The other option is a ground-mounted solar system. This is a great option if you don’t want a system on your roof or if your roof isn’t suitable for one. The team will still perform a ground inspection for your best ground options.

Solar Five carries grid-tied systems. This means you'll stay connected to your electric provider, but your solar system can replace 100% of your electricity use; on some occasions, you may produce more electricity than you're consuming, in which case the excess is sent to the grid.

On cloudy days or during the night, when your system is producing less electricity than it’s consuming, it draws from the grid. Having a grid-tied system means you can't use your solar power in case of a blackout — your system shuts down for the duration of the outage for safety reasons.

Solar Five costs

Since the cost of a solar system depends on so many factors, Solar Five does not list specific pricing on its website. According to the Rhode Island government, home solar systems can cost anywhere between $5,000 and $50,000. The final price depends on the size and placement of your system, among other things.

Solar Five offers several financing options. These options include:

• Leasing
        • Power purchase agreement (PPA)
        • Solar loan
        • Mass Solar Loan

When considering the cost of a solar system, keep in mind that there are often state and federal incentives to help make solar power more affordable. Having a solar energy system can also increase the resale value of your home.

Solar Five FAQ

Where is Solar Five available?
        Solar Five is based in Massachusetts. It’s currently only licensed for Massachusetts and Rhode Island, but it is aiming to expand into other states.
        Does Solar Five do commercial solar installations?
        Solar Five does do commercial installations. It’s available to work with schools, government buildings, businesses and more.
        Does Solar Five offer any warranties?
        Solar Five does offer warranties. There is a 25-year system warranty and a 10-year workmanship warranty.
        Can you request a quote on Solar Five’s website?
        You can request a quote on Solar Five’s website. You can provide your contact information and street address for a free, quick quote. You can also choose to have a free energy assessment done along with the quote.

Is Solar Five a good solar energy company?

If you’re looking at adding a solar energy system to your home in Massachusetts or Rhode Island, Solar Five is a good company to look into. Customer reviews are largely positive, and the company has many good features to consider.

Not only does Solar Five provide a free quote for the cost of your system, but it also includes a free energy assessment for your home. There are a number of ways for you to afford your solar system, including leasing and loans. Solar Five says it will check in with you weekly after your system is installed to ensure it's meeting your expectations.

Solar Five Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Solar Five?

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

We noticed in April 2020 our roof was leaking due to the solar panels. The leak was coming thru our recessed lights which is a fire hazard. In June 2020 the company came out, verified the leak was due to a faulty installation and did a bandaid fix. It is now December 2020 and we still have a leak and no repair date set by Solar Five. After filing a complaint with the BBB we were told they weren’t interested in expediting a repair for someone that filed a complaint against them and were asked to take our complaint down. Hopefully the Attorney General's office can help us with our issues with this company.

Original review: May 7, 2020

Ok how I feel about Sollar Five. It is that it is affordable and stable. It have the best sollar I know. It work nicely and quick. I can recommend it to anyone as it is very reasonable, anyone can afford it. Thank you.

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 26, 2020

Great company. I would definitely recommend. Great customer service, great installers, great sales and service department. Fast and friendly. Great product line. Great products to choose from. They will come and install the product you choose professionally.

Original review: April 23, 2020

My first time with Solar 5. I'm experiencing good customer service and overall satisfied at the moment. The installing was made perfect and my surprise was it actually looked awesome at the end. Financial part was a piece of cake.

Original review: April 22, 2020

I chose the Solar 5 for its smooth design and easy to install manual instructions. I found that easy to install instructions is over 50% of already knowing there is savings of hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of money simply from installation and energy savings, yes this is great news because many of us don't know where to start when we read and talk about conserving the energy and lowering energy cost. Why energy cost? Well for several things.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

I went looking into solar on the web and I interviewed five different companies. I liked the Solar Five people I was dealing with better than others and they were helpful with the financing. I’ve only been with them a month and I haven’t had an electric bill yet. But if the web monitoring system is right, it should be very good. The only bad thing about going with any of this stuff is that there are so many different hands in it like the financing people, the state people, the electric companies and the engineers. But Solar Five's reps did a pretty good job in getting all that in line. Their customer service people were very good, too. They said the process would be completed in 12 weeks and it was done in 12 weeks. I’d recommend them to a friend.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

Our electric bill was so high and solar energy services was a great way to go. Solar Five was top notch and they helped us all the way. Also, everybody was great. Trevor gets right on the phone for me, helps me out and sends me an email right away to tell me what I should be doing. Even if something was coming, he would let me know to look over such and such and to let him know and he would take care of everything. They made it so easy to have them do all the work. They're the best company I've ever had to deal with and I would recommend them to anybody.

Original review: June 18, 2017

My husband was looking at solar energy service as an alternative because he is retired and he wanted to look into any possible ways to save on some expenses. We liked Solar Five's service, the information they provided us with and, in comparison to other companies, they were more professional. And their willingness to come back and go over the information with us, to make sure that we understood it completely. They put up with me asking a lot of questions and in the end, Scott and I agreed that they would be the ones we’d go with. The whole enrollment process was seamless when they came to install it only took a day and a half. It was done so professionally and with no problems. If we had issues like automatic deduction, Bridgette took care of everything and it has only been a couple of weeks and we already see a dip in the electric bill. Solar Five is definitely worth it.

Original review: May 17, 2017

We looked into solar energy services because we thought it might be worthwhile doing. Solar Five came out and explained what they're going to do. They went above and beyond to make everything work for us. They've been very helpful and I'm glad I went with them. I'm 100% satisfied. We're making power like we’re supposed to and everything's wonderful. I would highly recommend them.

Solar Five Company Information