Consumer Reviews and Complaints

• 4 stars0
  • 3 stars0
  • 2 stars0
  • 1 stars0

Solar Five provides solar power for homes and businesses. Focused on professionalism and excellent customer service, we offer weekly check-ins after your solar system is professionally installed so you’re never left hanging. Delivering clean, renewable energy that saves you money, while also helping the environment, is our priority. Our team believes in building long-lasting partnerships that benefit our customers and their communities. If you live in Massachusetts, give us a call today!

The opportunity to look at solar energy services was appealing because I know from the experience of various friends that it's very cost-effective in the long run and it's a great thing to have. Enrolling with Solar Five was easy but there were a couple of hurdles. At the time that I was enrolling, the state of Massachusetts was unclear about how much longer the SREC II program was going to go, and that was critical to my decision. I chose Solar Five over competitors because they were willing to rush my application through and see that I could try to get into that program. That's critical for repayment of the system and Solar Five gave a wonderful service and attention up at the front regarding that.

The issue was around scheduling the actual work to be done. I was disappointed that I had started the process early in June and had gotten this far as like the financing. We stalled out around the installation, and it was considerably longer than what they had originally forecast it would take. That's for a couple of reasons: they were shorthanded in engineering staff and putting through all the permits, which I understand to be a tricky process. I thought that they would've moved along more smoothly. They should've let me know earlier that they weren't going to be able to make the original target date.

I think they would benefit from giving customers a what-to-expect table and constant reminders as to where the process is already, because it's a very complex process with all the different layers that are involved in terms of the electric company coming out with the meter, and then getting the system turned on. Although they communicate it and I can reach my field rep at any time, the process is still taking longer and I get surprises with another whole set of steps we have to go through like they got all the panels up but we weren't done halfway along. That took another week and a half to get everything on, if not two weeks to get the system turned on. I was not aware that it was going to take that long. That's because there's all these little stuff that I have to go through and I can't move faster than the regulator is moving or the utility company does.

But overall Solar Five was fabulous and it's a good company. I don't think that there are any other installers out there who would have given better customer service than they did.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Resolution response: Sept. 1, 2016

The workmanship was great. Very happy with the completed job.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2016

I knew Solar Five from the salesman and some friends had it. Enrolling with Solar Five was relatively easy.

When we started to look at solar for an option, I called a few companies to get quotes. When I found Solar Five, I was impressed with their outstanding customer service. They were also local which was great. Many other companies gave me estimates over the phone and I felt they were pressuring me into signing a contract with the first call. With Solar Five, they spent the time to help me understand the options and walked me through the entire process. Their estimates were very similar to the other companies, but with a personal touch. They gathered all the information we needed to inform our decision, thoroughly reviewed our options in person, and created multiple different models of financing with predictions of the timing to return on the investment. The process for installation was smooth, quick, and well coordinated.

They took care of all the incentives and documentation and since we have turned it on, they have checked in with us multiple times to make sure we have been satisfied. We had a local transformer blow out from a power outage which cause a problem with our solar. They came to fix it the day I called. They have excellent customer support when I have called with questions about the system. They also provide online and mobile software that allows us to track our production throughout the day. It even shows each individual solar panel through the day and how much it is producing. The kids love to check it out to see how much energy we are producing. We have been up and running since March and the production has been spot on. For all these reasons, I would highly recommend Solar Five to anyone thinking about going solar.

Solar Five was totally professional throughout the entire process. They did everything for us and made it easy to start and finish the process. We've been up and running now for a year and it is perfect. I haven't paid an electric bill in 5 months and we've paid back close to 35% of the total price in 12 months. Owning was the right choice.

I was looking to lower my rates and a friend told me about Solar Five. Enrolling was fairly easy but it took longer than I expected, from the time I first met with the person till the time it got done. Other than that, everything went well. Customer service was very good.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Solar Five?

I decided to look into solar energy services because of the opportunity to lower my utility bill and I'm very satisfied that I did. Enrolling with Solar Five was pretty easy. There was no upfront cost and everything went as promised. Any questions I've had were answered and the sales rep put everything together. Now the system is up and running and performing very well. A couple of years ago I was skeptical and ignorant about it and didn't know a lot of the details. Now, I would recommend solar power. I have actually been talking to other people about it and they don't realize the savings in the current. In fact, maybe in a couple of years we might try to get some batteries installed to start saving solar power. Probably, I can pay for the system. The next step would be to try to go totally independent.

Solar Five

Tom, thank you for your business and I'm glad it's working out well for you. It was a pleasure to work with you. Fortunately the federal tax credit, the MA $1,000 credit, AND the SREC II (State Renewable Energy Certificates) is still on for the time being. Soon it will be the SREC III Program, which we anticipate is going to be worth a bit less, but for now we're still looking good! Please don't hesitate to get in touch with me directly if you need clarification on any of this, and thanks again for going with Solar Five!

Adam Olsen - Customer Service Manager

Original review: June 10, 2016

A Solar Five rep came to my house and introduced us to the program. He kept us informed and updated on things. We decided to look into solar energy services because of the tax credit. The installer’s very professional and did a great job on the solar system. It looked like probably one of the best that I had seen. Moreover, most of the time we get in when contacting customer service. I was contacted by Adam in their customer service, so there was follow through. When I have questions, I'd call him. He calls me back and gives me the answer. If he doesn’t have it, he will find me the answer and it worked out great.

The only thing I dislike was that it took so long to install. We started out in September of last year and we waited for things to completely get it going. We didn’t get the project started until December 31st to install the inverter. Finally, we got the installation right then. And then from there on, we had to wait for the panels so we didn’t complete our entire project until February. Then the part that was complete would take forever. We’re still waiting to be finalized by the state for the electricity to be sold back into the system. But all in all, its system is up and running and making power right now. They hit a few snags here and there but they got it done. It’s good and I’m satisfied with the system. I’d highly recommend it to anybody who wanted one. But right now, the tax credit is no longer available so I don't know how it's appealing to others.

Expert Review

Zachary ShahanSolar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.    More about Zachary→

Solar Five is a Massachusetts-based company providing affordable solar energy to homeowners, businesses and government. Solar Five manages the installation process from start to finish for an easy transition to solar power. They have completed over 400 solar energy projects of all sizes and can customize a solar package to meet every consumer’s needs.

• Solar Five Ambassador Program: Solar Five will give customers a $500 Visa gift card if the person they refer ends up going solar. There is no limit to the amount of referrals a customer can make.
  • Community focused: Solar Five believes in building a stronger community by supporting neighborhood businesses that employ local residents. They also support local initiatives.
  • Weekly check-ins: Once the sales period has closed, Solar Five will keep you updated with weekly check-ins so you always know the status of your solar project.
  • Financing options: Solar Five has a range of financing options available for commercial and residential customers. They will walk you through all of your options and help you pick the best one to suit your needs and situation.
  • Free online quote: Get a free quote for your solar energy project using Solar Five’s online quote form. Input your address, contact information, average monthly electric bill and any additional information you want to provide to receive your quote.
  • Best for Solar Five is best for residential, commercial and government solar projects.

Solar Five Company Profile