2. Solar Energy

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.32/5

RGS Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RGS Energy?
        How do I know I can trust these reviews about RGS Energy?

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

I tried to contact their customer service by both phone and E-mail. When contacting by phone and you select customer service the line goes dead, hangs up. E-mail you just never get a response, just as others have said. There are the maintenance for Dow Solar Panels, but if you can't in touch with them not much use. Dow sold us out.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

Terrible service. I have one microinverter that does not work. They said it was normal but finally agreed it was bad while still under warranty. Said new one would be shipped to me then installed. Not one word from them since! They don't reply to calls or emails. Worst customer service I have experienced. Should have been fixed 6 months ago. Very disappointing!!!

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

I have been trying to get in contact with these people for weeks and no one has called back to service my solar panels. I have called every number for them and no one answers the phone. My wife and I both have sent emails to the service group and have left numerous voice mails as you cannot talk with anyone in the service dept.. No one has responded yet. Be wary of this company.

Original review: June 24, 2019

RGS's proposal forecasted production of 14,319 kWh with a statement that their production estimate was conservative/the system would exceed that amount; my system produced on 11,327 kWh in Year 1, or 21% below target. I am in Year 2 and production has produced approximately 7% more than last year, nowhere near the 26% improvement necessary to equal RGS's bad forecast.

The production miss translated to greater than $1,200 in lost income in Year 1 using RGS's assumptions for energy costs and SREC sale prices. The RGS sales person acknowledges the shortfall, that RGS doesn't understand the reasons why, and stated that I "would be made whole". Beyond an "apology payment" that didn't cover the Year 1 shortfall, RGS either defers, delays, or doesn't respond. With the economics of solar are dependent on subsidies and credits to start, a substantial miss in production/income makes for a bad deal. There are likely fewer reasons to trust RGS as the company moves into a new product line (solar roofing shingles). If the company missed this badly after 30 years experience with panels and refuses to stand by its promises, beware the buyer of a new product line. Stay away.

Original review: March 29, 2017

RGS Energy's customer service agents were extremely helpful and answered all my questions. They made it easier to find the appropriate product. Also, their prices are very competitive. I was able to get an excellent price and even had a few additional discounts. Moreover, there was quite a selection of financing options and I was able to find one that would work well for my budget. The setup and installation processes were fast and easy. Their installers were professional and definitely knew what they were doing.

Original review: March 22, 2017

The customer service reps of RGS stayed on the phone, allowed me to pick a product and give me great advice. Also, their financing was good. Their team installed the product on top of the house in less than 30 minutes and didn't leave until I checked it and made sure everything was working properly. It was worth the money I paid. It was more environmentally friendly than I thought it to be. I would recommend for people to use it.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2017

I was initially impressed with the local sales rep who was informative and very responsive. RGS was unable to follow through. After the initial site inspection for feasibility and contract, they obtained the necessary permits from Eversource and seemed on track. They couldn't meet the initial commitment on an installation date resulting in missing the Srec2 program and would downgrade to the less beneficial Srec3 which significantly impacted the timeline and payback on a 30k investment.

When I asked for an expedited schedule and would only provide the first payment (~10k) within a week of the installation, I was informed the panels were on back order without an expected delivery. I asked to therefore cancel and they suddenly procured another source for the panels. Still no firm schedule and they wouldn't set one without the deposit first. I was unwilling to give them that much money with an open-ended installation date. I spoke with the regional manager and had several questions about the mounting hardware, the proforma on the financials etc which he answered but I abruptly received complicated engineering reports that my roof would not support the projected weight and they would not be able to install this project.

It seemed like that should have been apparent (if true) at the initial feasibility inspection and was used to back out of their proposal. I have asked for a refund on my $250.00 initial fee and I have never heard from them. The sales rep who I liked and trusted is no longer with the company and unavailable to assist. I am still interested in Solar and will use this experience to vet other vendors. Two have told me my roof is fine. I am looking to get an independent engineering consult.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2016

I had a few questions that I needed answered. They went above and beyond to get me the best possible answers. Even without an initial purchase they treated me like I was important to them. They had very good rates and a very detailed description of what you're paying for and how it works. They give you a breakdown that is very easy to understand. It meant a lot to me that the staff was so informed and generally excited to offer such a great product. They have very professional and courteous people in there. My appointment is yet to happen. I expect I will have no issues with the install or people due to how great my experience has been so far.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2016

We were looking to have solar installed this year and contacted several solar companies to get estimates and timing. RGS told us that they were not likely to be able to get to the work this year (they have a 16+week lead time). I told them we weren't interested. However, they convinced me that every other solar company would take as long and that we should start the estimate process - which included a fully refundable $1000 deposit if we didn't move forward with them, so that if no one was able to get it done this year, we would be in the queue for next year. We were able to get another solar company to do it for us and asked for a full refund. It is now Dec. 1 and we asked for the refund on Oct. 15, and we still do not have a refund. It has been one excuse after another. I would recommend a different company. We have been very happy with the installer we chose and the system has already been installed.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2016

I had to wait a long time on hold waiting just to speak with an account representative and was forced to listen to mind numbing elevator music. I was transferred several time and was eventually disconnected. Then, I had to start the process all over again. Never could understand my options. I kept calling but the representatives - assuming you could even reach one - told me different information each time I called to discuss it. It does not seem that going green to help the environment is financially doable. Going green is what happens to a company's pocket, not mine. Alternative sources are not cost effective. The appointment windows were few and far between and they were inflexible in trying to work within my schedule. It was a headache and I'm not sure I would want to go through with that headache again.

RGS Energy author review by Zachary Shahan

RGS Energy provides solar power systems, solar financing and maintenance services. Since its founding in 1978, this solar power systems installer has installed thousands of solar energy systems on homes, schools and businesses.

• Solar products: The Powerhouse Solar Shingle is a new roofing tile that combines conventional asphalt roofing with an integrated PV solar system.

• Financing options: RGS Energy offers a choice to pay in full or finance your solar energy system with a loan.

• Installation process: RGS works with a network of certified Powerhouse solar installers. Solar roof shingles are quick to integrate with asphalt shingles.

• Warranty: RGS guarantees solar shingles for 11 years and electricity production for 24 years.

• Coverage areas: RGS is available in California, Colorado, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Rhode Island and Hawaii.

by Zachary Shahan Solar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.

RGS Energy Company Information