3.57/5

Looking for a solar energy company?

RGS Energy

Looking for a solar energy company?

28 RGS Energy Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 24, 2019

RGS's proposal forecasted production of 14,319 kWh with a statement that their production estimate was conservative/the system would exceed that amount; my system produced on 11,327 kWh in Year 1, or 21% below target. I am in Year 2 and production has produced approximately 7% more than last year, nowhere near the 26% improvement necessary to equal RGS's bad forecast.

The production miss translated to greater than $1,200 in lost income in Year 1 using RGS's assumptions for energy costs and SREC sale prices. The RGS sales person acknowledges the shortfall, that RGS doesn't understand the reasons why, and stated that I "would be made whole". Beyond an "apology payment" that didn't cover the Year 1 shortfall, RGS either defers, delays, or doesn't respond. With the economics of solar are dependent on subsidies and credits to start, a substantial miss in production/income makes for a bad deal. There are likely fewer reasons to trust RGS as the company moves into a new product line (solar roofing shingles). If the company missed this badly after 30 years experience with panels and refuses to stand by its promises, beware the buyer of a new product line. Stay away.

Original review: March 29, 2017

RGS Energy's customer service agents were extremely helpful and answered all my questions. They made it easier to find the appropriate product. Also, their prices are very competitive. I was able to get an excellent price and even had a few additional discounts. Moreover, there was quite a selection of financing options and I was able to find one that would work well for my budget. The setup and installation processes were fast and easy. Their installers were professional and definitely knew what they were doing.

Get expert buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 22, 2017

The customer service reps of RGS stayed on the phone, allowed me to pick a product and give me great advice. Also, their financing was good. Their team installed the product on top of the house in less than 30 minutes and didn't leave until I checked it and made sure everything was working properly. It was worth the money I paid. It was more environmentally friendly than I thought it to be. I would recommend for people to use it.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2017

I was initially impressed with the local sales rep who was informative and very responsive. RGS was unable to follow through. After the initial site inspection for feasibility and contract, they obtained the necessary permits from Eversource and seemed on track. They couldn't meet the initial commitment on an installation date resulting in missing the Srec2 program and would downgrade to the less beneficial Srec3 which significantly impacted the timeline and payback on a 30k investment.

When I asked for an expedited schedule and would only provide the first payment (~10k) within a week of the installation, I was informed the panels were on back order without an expected delivery. I asked to therefore cancel and they suddenly procured another source for the panels. Still no firm schedule and they wouldn't set one without the deposit first. I was unwilling to give them that much money with an open-ended installation date. I spoke with the regional manager and had several questions about the mounting hardware, the proforma on the financials etc which he answered but I abruptly received complicated engineering reports that my roof would not support the projected weight and they would not be able to install this project.

It seemed like that should have been apparent (if true) at the initial feasibility inspection and was used to back out of their proposal. I have asked for a refund on my $250.00 initial fee and I have never heard from them. The sales rep who I liked and trusted is no longer with the company and unavailable to assist. I am still interested in Solar and will use this experience to vet other vendors. Two have told me my roof is fine. I am looking to get an independent engineering consult.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2016

I had a few questions that I needed answered. They went above and beyond to get me the best possible answers. Even without an initial purchase they treated me like I was important to them. They had very good rates and a very detailed description of what you're paying for and how it works. They give you a breakdown that is very easy to understand. It meant a lot to me that the staff was so informed and generally excited to offer such a great product. They have very professional and courteous people in there. My appointment is yet to happen. I expect I will have no issues with the install or people due to how great my experience has been so far.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RGS Energy?

Original review: Dec. 1, 2016

We were looking to have solar installed this year and contacted several solar companies to get estimates and timing. RGS told us that they were not likely to be able to get to the work this year (they have a 16+week lead time). I told them we weren't interested. However, they convinced me that every other solar company would take as long and that we should start the estimate process - which included a fully refundable $1000 deposit if we didn't move forward with them, so that if no one was able to get it done this year, we would be in the queue for next year. We were able to get another solar company to do it for us and asked for a full refund. It is now Dec. 1 and we asked for the refund on Oct. 15, and we still do not have a refund. It has been one excuse after another. I would recommend a different company. We have been very happy with the installer we chose and the system has already been installed.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2016

I had to wait a long time on hold waiting just to speak with an account representative and was forced to listen to mind numbing elevator music. I was transferred several time and was eventually disconnected. Then, I had to start the process all over again. Never could understand my options. I kept calling but the representatives - assuming you could even reach one - told me different information each time I called to discuss it. It does not seem that going green to help the environment is financially doable. Going green is what happens to a company's pocket, not mine. Alternative sources are not cost effective. The appointment windows were few and far between and they were inflexible in trying to work within my schedule. It was a headache and I'm not sure I would want to go through with that headache again.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2016

The customer service of this company is very good. If I have questions I got right away an answer, doesn't matter if per mail or phone. Problems are solved fast. The financing options are easy to understand and very easy to use. If I have questions when I don't understand anything in financing options I can ask. The value of this company is just perfect! Was one of my best decisions I ever made to switch to a company like this and protect the environment. The Setup and installation was for myself very hard! So I called the company and they send somebody out who did this for me, just perfect.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2016

I signed up as part of a community group purchase for rooftop solar. First there was a bait and switch, starting with one reasonable price and then increasing it twice in a short period for unexplained reasons. So I pulled out. Though I was told very clearly that my deposit was fully refundable up until I signed the final project, they refused to refund it. The sales person had since left the company. Why do business with lying thieves? There are good, honest companies out there.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

The customer service was very good and explained everything to me when I needed help. They are very experienced and professional people. I would recommend this place to anyone who is considering going solar. Their financing options helped me out a lot. I was able to be put on a payment plan and they installed before I even finished paying on it. I would recommend this place to anyone who is considering going solar. The value of this product is excellent. Is definitely worth the money. The setup and installation of this product is excellent condition.

RGS Energy expert review by Zachary Shahan

This company provides solar power systems, solar financing and maintenance services. Since its founding in 1978, this solar power systems installer has installed over 25,000 solar energy systems on home, schools and businesses.

• Financing choice: RGS Energy offers a choice between a lease/PPA or straight purchase (with a loan if needed). Neither option is best for every customer 100% of the time. It is useful for consumers to have both options, and necessary for any company that wants to serve a broad market.

• Clear communication: Many companies offer straight purchases and solar leasing/PPAs, but not many are very clear with customers about the benefits of each option (some steer customers toward one of the two options). RGS Energy is quite comprehensive and direct about the relative advantages and disadvantages, demonstrating objectivity and high-quality customer service.

• Manufacturing: Without being vertically integrated, RGS Energy has less control over the manufacturing side of things and is more susceptible to fluctuations in demand.

• Comparison: Compared to some of its competitors, RGS Energy doesn’t seem to have any distinct competitive advantage on the hardware, solar quote technology, customer acquisition, or the financing side of things.

Profile picture of Zachary Shahan
      Zachary Shahan Solar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.

RGS Energy Company Information