2. Solar Energy

3.4/5 (14 ratings)

About POWERHOME SOLAR

POWERHOME SOLAR specializes in solar energy for residential and commercial properties. It is a full-service provider that coordinates the design, procurement, permitting, interconnection and construction of solar panel systems and associated equipment, including battery backups. The company employs licensed electricians as required by law.

Pros

• $0 down payment options
  • Military and veteran discounts
  • Energy-saving upgrades available
  • American-made solar panels

Cons

• Not available in all areas
  • No leasing program

Bottom Line

POWERHOME SOLAR offers residential and commercial energy solutions. Its systems have tier-one panels for maximum efficiency. It offers upgrades and accessories like smart power strips and insulation products.

POWERHOME SOLAR services

Once you express interest, a POWERHOME SOLAR technician visits your home for an on-site audit. Once you sign a contract, your project goes through design, permitting, homeowners association approvals and interconnection before scheduling and installation — all of which is completed in-house by POWERHOME SOLAR's own employees.

POWERHOME SOLAR’s most popular package comes with panels, a battery backup (or energy storage system) and up to 10 energy-saving upgrades. Available solutions to maximize potential efficiency include:

• Nest Thermostat
  • Attic baffles
  • Attic staircase cover
  • Blown insulation

POWERHOME SOLAR costs

Like most solar companies, POWERHOME SOLAR doesn’t publicly disclose average or starting costs. This is because prices vary based on location, current power usage and other factors. For the most accurate cost estimate, contact the company for a free quote.

Quotes for solar panel installation costs include the panels, inverters, wiring, conduit, mounting racks and mounting hardware. The POWERHOME SOLAR team also helps with design and filing local permits.

POWERHOME SOLAR offers discounts for military personnel and veterans.

POWERHOME SOLAR financing options

At the time of publishing, POWERHOME SOLAR customers can pay for panel systems upfront or through a third-party financing program. For qualified customers, 100% financing is available with zero down payment and no prepayment penalty. Those who would rather pay for their system outright can take advantage of home equity loan programs, which may be tax-deductible. POWERHOME SOLAR does not offer a solar leasing program.

POWERHOME SOLAR FAQ

Where is POWERHOME SOLAR available?
POWERHOME SOLAR currently has offices in 15 states:
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Virginia
  • West Virginia
Do POWERHOME SOLAR systems come with a warranty?
Yes, POWERHOME SOLAR provides a manufacturer's 30-year linear power performance guarantee plus a 25-year product workmanship guarantee.
How long does the POWERHOME SOLAR rebate work?
As of the publishing date, the minimum after-installation rebate is $2,040. On average, rebates take six to eight weeks after installation for processing. Note that rebates are not applied toward a loan by POWERHOME SOLAR — you’re still responsible for paying monthly loan payments to your lender.
Does POWERHOME SOLAR guarantee tax credits?
No, the company makes no guarantees regarding any customer’s eligibility for tax credits.
Where is POWERHOME SOLAR headquartered?
POWERHOME SOLAR is based in Mooresville, North Carolina.

Is POWERHOME SOLAR legit?

Yes, POWERHOME SOLAR is a legitimate company that has grown to have over 1,800 employees and more than 25,500 customers across 15 states. Its business has expanded from providing exclusively residential solar systems to installing commercial solar power systems for businesses across multiple industries. If you’re interested in solar power, contact the company to learn if your property qualifies and get more information.

POWERHOME SOLAR Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about POWERHOME SOLAR?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about POWERHOME SOLAR?

Original review: July 23, 2021

This is our second experience with this company. Very happy with everything they have done. We first did windows and now they just completed our new roof and gutters. We have really bad experiences with other companies in the past and Power made it so smooth and easy. We would highly recommend.

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 20, 2021

You need more employees like the two techs that just left my house. Both are very professional, knowledgeable, and they seem to care about their work. I recommend a leadership or management role for both of them within the company. They went above and beyond what they was here to fix, by simply explaining my system which was never done before. From someone looking outside at your company, you need more employees like these guys. 15 out of 10 rating for them.

Original review: July 16, 2021

Technician was very knowledgeable and addressed the issue quickly. She also provided explanation what was root cause of the issue. Someone did repair few days ago and left main breaker off, causing it to be without power to critical systems for 2 days. We are glad tech was able to come in today to correct the issue.

Original review: July 14, 2021

I received a call letting me know they were about 20 minutes away. They arrived on time. They introduced themselves and asked to come in to see where the problem was. They found the problem and let me know what it was. Very professional.

POWERHOME SOLAR response

Katrina, we are glad to hear that you had a positive experience with our team. It's our goal to always provide upstanding customer service. Thank you for your review!

Original review: July 6, 2021

I had Power Home Solar convert my home to 98% offset. From start to finish it was an amazing experience. My salesman Jay was very informative, not pushy at all and helped me make the right decisions. When it came to the install, the installation team was phenomenal, timely, professional and very capable of taking care of everything in a timely fashion. I highly recommend Power Home Solar. Thank you for allowing me to create my own energy!

POWERHOME SOLAR response

Hi Alesha! We are happy to hear about your positive experience in owning your power! Thank you for your positive feedback and keep letting the sunshine in!

Original review: July 17, 2021

With the exception of the most recent installers Nick and Jared the first crew was horrible. They were urinating in my yard in front of my wife and children, made extra holes in my roof, left cigarettes all over my yard, burned my grass with the hot solar panels, cussing, arguing, and screaming at each other to the point that my neighbors were disturbed. The conduit had to be rerun by a second crew leaving holes in the side of my home. You have been to my home several times. The last visit Nick and Jared cleaned out my gutters and under the panels from all of the tools, parts, and equipment left behind that were under the panels and clogging my gutters. They discovered that two panels were not connected. This has been the worst experience ever.

Original review: July 16, 2021

So sick of PHS and their blow it off attitude. We had to make so many phone calls to get our system fixed. I would never recommend PHS to anyone. Look on my account for all the ** I went thru to get PHS to do their job, if you keep notes, haha! You only allow positive post on your social media, so I feel you're trying to hide how bad you treat those that have a current system. Your service person was great but all the people that bounced me around need trained. I feel your management are cowards that hide from customers.

Original review: July 15, 2021

The drywaller did the best he could but the finish job looks terrible! The original construction crew left a huge mess for me to clean up including dangerous copper wire on the ground outside and wasn’t trained on finishing work.

Original review: July 7, 2021

The fellows that did the work were awesome and did great work. They were much better than any of the other guys that came out to try to fix the problem. Can't wait for inspection so we can turn it on.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: June 24, 2021

I signed a contract to have PowerHome install a system that included panels and battery backup. The system installed 30 panels to provide a 58% reduction of my average usage of 1500 kWh. That equates to an average of 870 kWh/month. They installed the system last fall in Aug that reduced the amount of electricity consumed in August and produced for its first full billing cycle from September into October. Each of those months had approximately $100 lower electric bills which also had one of my lowest utility bills that led me to believe I had made the right decision to install the system. Since then the results have not met my expectations.

Starting in October, my usage had gone back to about the same levels of usage before installing the system, 1300-1750 kWh/month. I finally called customer support in March to share my concern about the lack of results. I called again in April to report an error on the REbus of the Generac inverter. A technician came and identified the source of the fault. Additionally, the technician said the inverter only saw 14 of 30 panels but did nothing to diagnose the panels themselves. The identified fault was with the battery management unit (BMU) and needed to order the part. Another technician came to install the BMU and finally diagnosed the panels and found two bad panels. The technician didn't have any panels to replace the faulty panels.

Another technician will come later this week (end of June) to replace them. That makes at least three months that the system hasn't worked properly from when I made the first call. In the last two weeks, I shared my utility bills and a spreadsheet identifying the exact savings over the previous year's usage. I have experienced less than $100 savings and have a payment due each month over twice the savings. As part of sharing the bills for analysis, I asked how PowerHome will compensate me for the poor results, especially for the lost production because of the faulty components.

As of today, I had to call again to talk to the same representative that I talked to two weeks ago. I tried several times over the two weeks and told I would get a call from the representative that didn't happen. The answer I received today was that they still hadn't finalized the offer. I CANNOT recommend PowerHome to anyone no matter how large the referral bonus they want to provide. PowerHome has a tag line of "Own your power". My power owns me because it has cost me SIGNIFICANTLY more each month now than before installing the system. I wish I had chosen another provider than PowerHome. I definitely recommend that you do based on my experience.

POWERHOME SOLAR response

Hello Chuck, we understand that you are currently receiving help from our team. It's our goal to provide you with a resolution to this issue. If you need additional help, please note that you can reach our Customer Solutions team directly by contacting 1-833-423-1132. Thank you.

Original review: June 12, 2021

Once the company gets your money. The only people you are able to contact are the sales and scheduling agents. I have been trying for over a week for someone to come out and fix my system. Started noticing less power generation at first. Now the ethernet connection to monitor the system has stopped working. I have yet to receive a response from the company to fix the issues.

POWERHOME SOLAR response

Hi George, we are sorry to hear about your negative experience. We are intent on getting your concerns addressed and have forwarded your information to the correct department for someone to reach out to you shortly. Please note that if you ever need to reach our Customer Solutions team directly, they can be reached at 1-833-423-1132. Thank you.

Original review: June 11, 2021

The solar panels were installed in August 2020 and we have not seen a decrease in our power bill. And we are paying a &72,000.00 loan for this privilege. Their system was installed incorrectly. I have tried repeatedly to get them to remove the panels and get no response.

POWERHOME SOLAR response

Hi Barbara, we understand that you have a service scheduled at the end of this month. We look forward to providing you the help you need. As a reminder, if you ever need to reach our Customer Solutions team directly, you can do so by contacting 1-833-423-1132. Thank you.

POWERHOME SOLAR Company Information