2. Solar Energy

PetersenDean

PetersenDean
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.39/5

Take a Solar Energy Quiz. Get matched with an Accredited Partner.

PetersenDean has installed world-class products for residential and commercial customers for more than 30 years. Its commitments to safety, quality, and customer service have made it the roofing company of choice for many of the country's top homebuilders. PetersenDean dedicates itself to working with you to find the most affordable plan and backs its products with a 25-year warranty.

Take a Solar Energy Quiz. Get matched with an Accredited Partner.

PetersenDean Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PetersenDean?
        How do I know I can trust these reviews about PetersenDean Roofing and Solar?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

We signed a contract for a new roof & solar in May 2019 with the expectation from sales that both would be installed by July 2019. Minimal contact and responses from PD. PD changed project coordinators four times and still no anticipated date of project completion. Finally, the roof was scheduled to be done in Sept. The first date PD asked us to be home, no one showed up to begin the project. Two weeks later, PD contacts us again (no response to our questions in between the dates) with a date to make sure we had someone home. The roof was installed and with discussions that the solar would be installed in a couple of weeks. Minimal contact from PD. Minimal replies from PD when we reached out to them. Finally PD schedules solar install in Dec 2019. Completed in one day around 20 panels. Advised will be turned on soon.

It is Jan 2020. Solar is still not turned on. PD claims PG&E is the delay. PG&E claims the issue is with PD. However, we are now making payments to PD for the solar and PG&E for electricity with no clear expectation when the solar will be turned on. Others in the neighborhood went with different solar providers after we signed. They had a working solar system within two months of signing. PD is difficult to work with and has minimal follow through on project completion. If you choose PD to install your roof and / or solar, be advised it could be a frustrating experience.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

Let me start by saying we are repeat customers. In 2017 we had an amazing experience and knew we would use them again. In June 2019 we bought a new home and started the process of going solar again. This time it has been a nightmare. We financed a large 58,000 USD project and after a ridiculous amount of delays install day came. The installers took one look at the project and stated they would get the panels on our roof but did not have enough materials to finish the job. We understand that things happen and were willing to accommodate the need to do things correctly. However, 8 weeks later there has been ZERO communication from the company.

We have called and e-mailed every contact we could find. We have called customer service and have been promised return calls. One customer service agent even tried to call at least 3 people while we were on the phone and not one single person answered or returned the call. We have not lost the 30% tax credit and have a useless system. Our loan company has paid them and contacted us to start payments for a completed project. I am dumbfounded as to how this is even perceived as good business or even any amount of honesty. I recommend steering clear of this business, unfortunately.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

After researching and talking to different solar companies and with a glowing recommendation from a friend, I decided to go with PetersenDean a.k.a Solar 4 America. In May of 2019, I signed a contract with them with an estimated finish late Oct. I was promised in writing "A world-class experience..." and "Top notch system installation..." After countless emails since September asking for an install date, with the only response being "I'll sent an email," I finally get an install date of Nov 26th.

Nov 26th rolls around and they come for the install and tell me they are only installing the panels and nothing else. I get no information back about when they are going to come and finish the job. So I contact them and get an install date of Dec 3rd. Dec 3rd comes and no one shows up, not even a phone call saying "Hey sorry, our crew can't make it out today." Nothing.. So, I send them an email and then they tell me the next day they can come and install is Jan 6th. So I tell them that I am going to have to re-file with my HOA as that will be 90 days since I filed for approval.

After I raise a stink, they tell me that they can get their crew out on Dec 12. Later in the day, they call me back asking if there is any equipment here and I tell them only the solar panels. The crew arrives on the 12th and asks me where all the equipment is after I specifically told them that only the solar panels are here. The crew chief then calls the warehouse manager to try and get the equipment. The warehouse manager informs him that that there is no equipment in the warehouse for my house. So, after the crew leaves, I send another email asking what the serial numbers are for my equipment and I promptly get an email back with serial numbers.

Long story short, they came out three more times, Dec 14th, 17th and 18th. On the 17th, the crew stayed until 9:30 at night stating that he wanted to make sure that no matter what our solar was turned on. Which, I appreciated. On the 18th, there was another crew chief and he told me that the first crew chief should have never turned on the solar panels until after inspection. He also let me know that if everything was set up correctly; which it wasn't, we would have been charged for the power our solar panels produced. Apparently, our PG&E meter is a one-way meter and they(PG&E) need to come and install a two-way meter.

The workmanship for the conduit on my house looks very amateur and I can't close my outside electrical panel. The workers told me that they were untrained in many aspects of the installation. Which didn't instill a lot of confidence. As of Jan 4th, I still don't have solar installed. I have given PetersenDean ample time to rectify the situation along with many complaint filled emails, I am fed up. There is nothing world class about this experience and very little top-notch about the installation.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

We started thinking about solar or year ago and talked to a couple different companies in our area. We liked PetersenDean because they seemed knowledgeable and informative on the product and installation. After starting to sign papers we soon realized our salesperson had quit and was unhappy with the company but assured us we had made a good choice. The first week of October the panels were installed on our roof. Judging from the looks of other solar panels in our neighborhood ours look cheap and not aesthetically installed. It is now December 26 and they still are not working as we are waiting on an inspection from PetersenDean, 2 1/2 months seems like a long time. Already making payments on panels but they still don’t work.

Resolution response: March 31, 2020

Well I have my money back.... I had to start a billing dispute with my credit card company against Petersen Dean .... I won the dispute. Be safe out there and wash your hands of Petersen Dean. Half a year later, crazy amount of emails and phone calls...they have lied so many times it was comical ... and my credit card and the dispute team were the best at my fraud claim, thank you Citibank!!!. I even have a Lawyer looking into this mess. I have done what I can to warn others of the Petersen Dean Dangers....stay safe!!!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

Reno NV. residence beware of Petersen Dean management and accounting. It's a sad time for Petersen dean management and accounting. I've have been getting the full run-around (like they are artists of the brush off.), I could go on and on about Petersen Dean as a company but you get the point. I'm sure the two guys that started this business would never let such a thing happen to someone like me...?

After my 3rd coordinator gave up trying to get a response from accounting I was told to call the 1-800 customer care number to get answers about my refund of $17,688.20, I have been told to wait so they can research the problem after already being thru months of run around. They told me to wait more... Then the straw was now customer care says my check will be in the mail on the 20th of next month 1/20/20... Really what are they waiting for? This is not the only post about this problem. They told me the same thing back in November. "Check will be issued on the 11TH sir." What a load!! I'm a local business owner in Reno NV. and people talk in this town and I love to gab about my experiences in life... "The Petersen Dean runaround" (labeling this part of my life).

You can be just like me if you call Petersen Dean in Reno NV. (LasVegas and Fairfield handled and subcontracted out of Arizona.) The subcontractor was the only brains and only had a final conversation with him, he said I quote "I don't want to step on any toes" and he goes on to say "he would answer in only a way as to not contradict anything the sales person may have said." Never have a conversation like that. Lol.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

In October of 2018 I signed a contract with PetersenDean and gave them a 10% down payment to fix my roof. During this process one of their inspectors was on my roof to verify that they could complete the project for the agreed upon price. I waited patiently for the weather to improve so that they could complete my project (last year was a wet winter and certainly not their fault for not fixing my roof during the rainy season). Winter passed and summer came and went, and my project was not completed. I did receive an email on September 11th from the Project Coordinator stating that she had no idea why my project had not been completed, but that she would go to "upper management" if it wasn't scheduled soon.

After that, PetersenDean stopped communicating with me for two months. Finally in early November I received an email response stating that my project had been canceled in early October. When I called to find out why they had canceled my project (not to mention why I had not been notified) I was sent to a supervisor, who politely told me that he would look into it for me. He failed to call me back (I gave him two weeks). Long story short, one of their representative finally called me back the to tell me that they did not have the "resources" to access my condo and complete my project. I have had other roofers access my roof to work on neighboring condos, so it is hard to image that they could not do the same. Instead, they waited a year to tell me that they would (or could not) fix my roof. As I write this I have a leak where water drips into my bedroom.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

What a nightmare. You know I thought I was doing the right thing. In March 2019 was shopping for a new roof. Petersen Dean offered a package that was appealing. I heard a commercial on the radio for a package deal from Petersen Dean. April 1st I signed contracts with Petersen Dean to get a new roof, solar, and a fence. About a month or so later a crew came out and installed a new fence. The guys that installed the fence did a good job, next an inspector came out from Petersen Dean and inspected the roof. I was told it would be a couple of months for the roof. It is now December 4th. I keep getting told, "We moved you up on the list."

We had our first rain and the roof failed and leaked damaging the drywall in my kitchen. I was able to put an emergency fix on the roof but there are more storms on the way here in Northern California. The loan the Petersen Dean set up for roof and fence has closed and I still have no roof. The permit I had to get through my HOA has expired. I am making loan payments for the fence, but I still do not have a roof. I am very disappointed, and I still need a roof. This morning I sent an email to the representative I have been working with and said I want to cancel the rest of the project. She asked, "Do you still want the solar." I told her I want nothing more to do with Petersen Dean. Very disappointing, and I still have no roof and now a damaged kitchen.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

We contracted with Petersen Dean to install 2 Tesla Batteries for backup to our solar system. When the certified installer came out, he stated that he could not install the system we had been promised and that we should have never been sold the system. Petersen Dean cancelled our contract, but it has now been 3 months and we still do not have our money returned to us. It was over $10,000 and they will not even answer my calls or emails. Every time I do get through to a person, they tell me it will be sent out in 2 weeks. When the 2 weeks is up, the say another 2 weeks. They are now saying that they have no idea when our money will be returned. I have no idea how a company can stay in business with such awful, unresponsive customer service.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

We signed our contract June 28, 2019. The company has been late according to their timeline the whole process. We were told we would have the solar installed in October. It is suppose to be 2 weeks after receiving a permit. Our permit was received October 24, 2019. They can not even tell us when this product may be installed, but not this year. One big factor in this purchase was the tax credit which we were assured would be done by the end of the year.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

We signed a contract with PetersenDean in May 2019 to install a Solar System for our home. To date, they continue to give us the run around, and excuses, stating they are waiting on the permit from our City, as the City has changed their over-the-counter permit process, to a online permit process. I requested Petersen Dean to give me a copy of their online permit submission as proof - Nothing! As of November 1, 2019 we cannot get a installation date. Terrible customer service!!

PetersenDean Company Information