2. Solar Energy

PetersenDean

PetersenDean
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.15/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

PetersenDean has installed world-class products for residential and commercial customers for more than 30 years. Its commitments to safety, quality, and customer service have made it the roofing company of choice for many of the country's top homebuilders. PetersenDean dedicates itself to working with you to find the most affordable plan and backs its products with a 25-year warranty.

BOTTOM LINE

PetersenDean installs solar panels and provides roofing services. All installers are licensed, and the company includes a 25-year warranty with its solar power components. It offers loans but not lease or PPA options.

PROS

• Long warranty
    • Straightforward installation
    • Solar loans

CONS

• No solar lease or PPA options
    • Limited availability

Top PetersenDean Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about PetersenDean Roofing and Solar?

PetersenDean has a good reputation of installing. Plus it seemed like they've had a good deal on the financing. ... What I actually paid was 2,000 less than what he quoted me. I had a really good experience with the company. They're awesome.

We liked PetersenDean because they seemed knowledgeable and informative on the product and installation. After starting to sign papers we soon realized our salesperson had quit and was unhappy with the company but assured us we had made a good choice.

About PetersenDean

PetersenDean Roofing and Solar Systems handle a variety of home improvement projects, but the company specializes in solar and roofing contractor services. It's the perfect fit for people who want to work with a solar company that has extensive experience with roofing.

Its full line of products includes solar microinverters, solar panels, solar racking, solar batteries and EV chargers. PetersenDean installs solar power systems, roofs, fences and EV chargers.

PetersenDean solar cost

It costs between $12,000 and $15,000 for a PetersenDean solar power system, but the price varies based on system size, equipment and installation factors. You can buy the system outright or apply for a Freedom Flex loan through Solar4America. The loan allows clients to put $0 down and make no payments for 12 months. Contact the company by phone or through its website to have its staff help you analyze and compare your payment options and find a solution that fits your needs and budget.

PetersenDean installation

PetersenDean uses a four-step process to ensure your solar panels are correctly installed, properly functioning and long-lasting.

1. Start with an initial consultation to discuss your solar power and roofing needs.
        2. A solar expert then comes to your home and measures your roof to identify the best placement for panels.
        3. A team of solar and roofing specialists installs the solar power system.
        4. Local building authorities and utility company technicians perform a routine inspection and clear the system to begin producing power.

PetersenDean solar warranty

PetersenDean guarantees solar panels and roofing for 25 years. In addition to the 25-year warranty, it offers a reinstallation guarantee if you want to make changes to your solar power system or roof after it has been installed.

The company also buys back the original solar power system if you want to purchase an upgraded model, and it transfers the protection plan to the new homeowners if you decide to sell your house. Having a transferable warranty on your solar energy system helps increase your home's value and makes it easier to sell.

PetersenDean FAQ

Where is PetersenDean available?
        PetersenDean is available in Arizona, California, Florida, Hawaii, Nevada and Texas.
        What kind of solar panels does PetersenDean use?
        PetersenDean uses Mission Solar Energy MSE PERC 60 module panels. All panels are made in the U.S. and UL- and IEC-certified. They are rated for extreme weather and have a sleek design that is ideal for residential use.
        Who makes PetersenDean solar panels?
        PetersenDean partners with Mission Solar Energy to source its solar panels. Mission Solar Energy assembles modules at a 250-megawatt facility in San Antonio, Texas. The company also partners with Enphase, Panasonic, GAF Master Elite, Englert, Eagle Roofing Products, Unirac, LG Electronics and Silfab Solar for solar energy system parts.
        Can PetersenDean replace my roof?
        Yes, PetersenDean is one of the few solar companies with an extensive roofing background. It also offers a variety of financing options, including CA PACE loans and 20-year unsecured loans with no money down, no interest and no payments for 12 months.

Is PetersenDean worth it?

Yes, PetersenDean is worth it. The company has more than 35 years of experience serving clients and has built a reputation as being a company that provides solar energy systems that stand the test of time. The company has a team of trained and licensed professionals that specialize in solar power and roofing — a claim not many companies can make.

PetersenDean Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PetersenDean?
        How do I know I can trust these reviews about PetersenDean Roofing and Solar?

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

I read that utilities were going up and I wanted to save money for my utility bills. I’ve been saying for quite a few years that I was gonna get a solar roofing done and I did with PetersenDean. The gentleman came out, had a presentation and it worked good. He was very professional. However, PetersenDean need to educate people more as to when the solar panels work, the best time to use them, etc.. The thing is, we don’t know the pertinent questions to ask, but through the process, I’ve learned more about it.

Furthermore, I see a problem with the customer service. I also purchased the fan. So, we got the fan and the gentleman that brought up the fan said something wasn’t hooked up right. I called the customer service and said I wasn’t sure what it was. But at the same time, I told the rep who came out and it took them a while to finally get the people to come out to hook it up right. It was on a Wednesday when I talked to the young lady and left a message and she didn’t call me back Wednesday or Thursday, or Friday. So, I called corporate to complain. I understand everybody is busy. But when you leave a message somebody should call back. They can call and say, ‘You know what? I’m working on your problem. I haven’t resolved it yet.’” So, the follow-up with the problem, that was the problem.

Nevertheless, my wife is happy with the decision of going solar because she pays the electric bill. And you know the saying, happy wife, happy life. I have also referred my brother to them. When he and his wife came over, I told him since they’ve already purchased their home outright, going solar would be a good investment. I told him that for the last three months, my wife has not had a bill.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

PetersenDean is the best. We already had a solar system in about three years ago. We had a problem from the installation of the solar panels where one of the brackets was put in a little crooked. And over the last two and a half years or so, the vibrations and the wind caused the screw in the bracket to penetrate the back of the solar panel and short out two cells. What that caused was two of our four rows of solar panels to fail. So, we’ve been getting big bills and we’re trying to figure out what’s going on. PetersenDean has taken care of our problems. They figured out what it was.

Bradley came here last week and he’s doing the preliminary look at the power wall that we’d had installed, and he is the one that saw that there was something wrong with the performance of the solar panels. He and I both went up there on the roof and he inspected and he saw it so he bypassed it and reconnected around it so we’re getting most of our solar power again. So I’m on-board with PetersenDean 100%. They have super nice people as well. They do everything right. They’re taking care of me.

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

My daughter told me about PetersenDean and she convinced me that solar energy was a worthwhile investment. The enrollment process with PetersenDean was very easy. The person who worked with me was very pleasant and knowledgeable. The people there are excellent. It’s too bad they have to work with cities and utilities.

My complaint is it’s taking them a year to get the system installed. But it’s not totally PetersenDean’s fault. It’s mostly the problem that they have to work through with all the bureaucracies. PetersenDean has to deal with the city of Napa and with PG&E which is the utility here. PG&E is extremely difficult to work with. I ordered the solar services ten months ago in November from PetersenDean thinking the panels would be installed in January or February. But it has taken that much time to get the various approvals from PG&E and the city of Napa.

We finally got the panels put on the roof about six weeks ago but we still do not have the final approval from PG&E. I can’t use my solar energy yet so I’m still paying PG&E for power when I should have used my solar energy all summer. My service is not on yet. I’m expecting it to be on in the next two weeks, but I suppose that might mean two more months.

Hi Richard,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We’ll appreciate your patience and feedback regarding your project. We maximize the efficiency of our install process while obtaining all necessary approval from the local jurisdiction and utility. We're glad that you chose to do business with us and we’re delighted to have you as our customer.

Kind Regards,

PetersenDean Roofing and Solar

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

I’ve always been interested in solar energy services but I couldn’t get anybody to do it without a lease. Everybody wanted to give me a lease. When PetersenDean went to my house, they were the first ones that said I could buy it outright. They were gonna install it and with a 15-year loan, I'l be done. Their salesman was a really good guy. He told me everything. He and I went over our bills and I don’t believe he gave me any false information. I probably had 15 different salesmen at my house over the last three or four years so I pretty much really read up on what I was getting myself into. He was very forthcoming on everything that we talked about and the quote that he gave me was right on.

The process with PetersenDean is extremely easy. The difficult part is trying to get the city of Hemet and Edison to do their part. All we’re waiting for right now is Edison for them just to come out and unlock my meter and it’s been two or three weeks. But PetersenDean tried to walk me through that to make it as fast and easy as possible. The customer service team always tried to help and told me exactly what I needed to do. And they’ve always kept in contact with me. I’ve never really had to hunt nobody down. I’m very satisfied.

Hi Arnaldo,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Honesty and professional integrity is nonnegotiable. We are glad to have you as our customer.

Thank you for choosing PetersenDean for your Home improvement needs!

Kindest Regards,

PetersenDean Roofing and Solar

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

Five years ago, every other solar company was a bunch of crooks and we couldn’t really figure out who was gonna not screw us over so we waited. It didn’t seem like we were gonna be able to get anything that would cover 100% of our needs. They wouldn’t do anything over like 60% of our usage. We would’ve ended up with massive true-ups so that’s the main reason why we didn’t go with solar at that time. We went with PetersenDean because of their longevity in the business and it's been a solid experience so far. The installation was all done greatly. We’re waiting for a crew to come out with an updated SIM card for the Huawei SUN2000-11.4KTL unit, which is the power inverter, so that it’ll transmit information accurately. But technically, it’s on.

Someone’s supposed to get in touch with me today to work out the details of getting the SIM card installed. I was given the link and invite to the My Locus Energy app and I've seen it was highly limited. I didn’t get anything about how to monitor all of my panels. I had to find the app myself. PetersenDean does no monitoring whatsoever. I’ve had to look up all the user manuals myself. I’m gonna have to find out how do I get the Huawei unit which has Wi-Fi capability tied into my router, and how can I monitor it on my computer. I’m having to do that myself. I’m having to be my own tech support on that. Through my own research, I found out this wonderful little thing called FusionHome that can connect into the actual power inverter and I can get more detailed information 'cause I wanna be able to see in real time. I wanna be able to see that all of my panels are active, that 1 of them, or 10 of them, haven’t gone out.

Overall, it's been a good experience. The communication with Mandy, the project coordinator, has been really good. We already talked to her about looking at additional services. We’ve been wanting to get a whole house fan for a couple of years or an attic fan. That’s $600 to $2,000 right there. But it’s a totally separate project and we’re already laying out $44,000 for the system. Branching into whole house fans is something that would bring in additional revenues and is a higher selling point for PetersenDean, or even scaled down battery systems that take the AC unit off the grid entirely. The battery system provides night time offset so why not have a scale-able battery system and panels that are dedicated just to the AC where most of the power is.

Hi John,

We are glad to hear that you've had a positive experience with PetersenDean. We are delighted to have you as our customer. Enjoy your solar savings and thank you for choosing PetersenDean for your Home improvement needs!

Kindest Regards,

PetersenDean Roofing and Solar

Original review: June 27, 2020

I received a quote from them. They came out to my home and within three days, I had a quote and was able to compare it others I had received. Their reputation and attention to detail was second to none. I would recommend this company to friends and family who needed solar.

Original review: May 6, 2020

New LG battery on new system never worked. Trouble shooting LG needs to be replaced Nov. 2019. It is now end of April 2020. Battery gone. No response from my support person. No call back. 2 separate groups blame the other. Okay to send battery back to LG but not being returned for replacement.

Original review: April 26, 2020

We have had trouble with the back-up batteries that were installed. I have to say that PetersenDean was very prompt to take care of the problem....It took two tries....but they got it! Their employees are very pleasant and courteous as well. Also, back-up works very good! PG&E has lost power during the night several times and our power popped right back on using the batteries. Also, our electic bill has almost vanished! Very good investment!

Original review: April 25, 2020

They installed our roof and solar in Dec 2018. Since that time, the solar has failed twice. Both times during heat waves so our energy bills skyrocketed. They have poor customers service and slow response times. I would not recommend them to anyone! We spent a fortune and expect a better quality product and service.

Original review: April 5, 2020

Salesman for Petersen Dean seemed very knowledgable. Then the crews show up. That's where the problems start. I had mine installed on the ground as I didn't want problems on my roof down the road. They brought out a gas powered post hole digger which had an issue going into the very hard ground, in a attempt to get the holes deep enough they used a chipping bar I lent them. The holes tapered down as they got deeper barely passing inspection. Required depth 2', some holes a little shy. Then came install of the posts for the solar rack. The company brought out a gasoline powered concrete mixer which never was used. The crew just dumped concrete bags into the holes and added water. I Remind you I've been in the concrete business for 25 years, and didn't even fill the holes up to grade.

Making a call I spoke with the labor Forman (whom was very good). He said he would have a man out tomorrow to fill them. Next day laborer comes and still doesn't fill holes to grade. Phone call later I'm told there will be someone else out there to fill them and finally get filled. Then comes mounting the inverters on the north side of the panels to be shaded in which they had extended the rack on the ground mounting inverters on a old used piece of plywood in direct sunlight.

2nd attempt after phone call someone else came out and remounted the inverters on Unistrut mounted on old plywood in direct sunlight. 3rd attempt, Petersen dean sent a man out completely starting over and shazam it finally got done correctly. 3rd issue which is not so structural in nature but does pertain to the quality of the work that was done. In the electrical ditch for the wiring to service pole the crew threw all their lunch garbage into it as well as some extra 2' threaded galvanized pipe couplings at about $7 apiece. I was fed up at this point and cleaned their mess up and put the 2" fittings into my stock. Overall I wasn't that impressed with the work that was performed at all. After awhile on closer inspection I found a few missing bolts that would have held down panels but fixed myself rather than complaining about everything.

Initially I was looking for a company who used American made parts and would do a good job, but how wrong I was. In an attempt to make me happy Petersen Dean did make me a deal on a monitoring system for the system which every time I change my cell phone the monitoring system has to be reprogrammed which has been a pain. All in all I would not recommend this company to wash my dishes let alone install a solar system, and if it were on my roof all the mistakes would not have been seen. It blows my mind that they are on the top 10 solar companies out there. Amazing. The salesman and the labor foreman were the best of the company that I dealt with. I've had the system for about 6-7 yrs now and haven't had any problems.

PetersenDean Company Information