Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Solar Energy

PetersenDean

PetersenDean
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.42/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

PetersenDean has installed world-class products for residential and commercial customers for more than 30 years. Its commitments to safety, quality, and customer service have made it the roofing company of choice for many of the country's top homebuilders. PetersenDean dedicates itself to working with you to find the most affordable plan and backs its products with a 25-year warranty.

BOTTOM LINE

PetersenDean installs solar panels and provides roofing services. All installers are licensed, and the company includes a 25-year warranty with its solar power components. It offers loans but not lease or PPA options.

PROS

• Long warranty
    • Straightforward installation
    • Solar loans

CONS

• No solar lease or PPA options
    • Limited availability

Top PetersenDean Reviews

PetersenDean has a good reputation of installing. Plus it seemed like they've had a good deal on the financing. ... What I actually paid was 2,000 less than what he quoted me. I had a really good experience with the company. They're awesome.

We liked PetersenDean because they seemed knowledgeable and informative on the product and installation. After starting to sign papers we soon realized our salesperson had quit and was unhappy with the company but assured us we had made a good choice.

About PetersenDean

PetersenDean Roofing and Solar Systems handle a variety of home improvement projects, but the company specializes in solar and roofing contractor services. It's the perfect fit for people who want to work with a solar company that has extensive experience with roofing.

Its full line of products includes solar microinverters, solar panels, solar racking, solar batteries and EV chargers. PetersenDean installs solar power systems, roofs, fences and EV chargers.

PetersenDean solar cost

It costs between $12,000 and $15,000 for a PetersenDean solar power system, but the price varies based on system size, equipment and installation factors. You can buy the system outright or apply for a Freedom Flex loan through Solar4America. The loan allows clients to put $0 down and make no payments for 12 months. Contact the company by phone or through its website to have its staff help you analyze and compare your payment options and find a solution that fits your needs and budget.

PetersenDean installation

PetersenDean uses a four-step process to ensure your solar panels are correctly installed, properly functioning and long-lasting.

1. Start with an initial consultation to discuss your solar power and roofing needs.
        2. A solar expert then comes to your home and measures your roof to identify the best placement for panels.
        3. A team of solar and roofing specialists installs the solar power system.
        4. Local building authorities and utility company technicians perform a routine inspection and clear the system to begin producing power.

PetersenDean solar warranty

PetersenDean guarantees solar panels and roofing for 25 years. In addition to the 25-year warranty, it offers a reinstallation guarantee if you want to make changes to your solar power system or roof after it has been installed.

The company also buys back the original solar power system if you want to purchase an upgraded model, and it transfers the protection plan to the new homeowners if you decide to sell your house. Having a transferable warranty on your solar energy system helps increase your home's value and makes it easier to sell.

PetersenDean FAQ

Where is PetersenDean available?
        PetersenDean is available in Arizona, California, Florida, Hawaii, Nevada and Texas.
        What kind of solar panels does PetersenDean use?
        PetersenDean uses Mission Solar Energy MSE PERC 60 module panels. All panels are made in the U.S. and UL- and IEC-certified. They are rated for extreme weather and have a sleek design that is ideal for residential use.
        Who makes PetersenDean solar panels?
        PetersenDean partners with Mission Solar Energy to source its solar panels. Mission Solar Energy assembles modules at a 250-megawatt facility in San Antonio, Texas. The company also partners with Enphase, Panasonic, GAF Master Elite, Englert, Eagle Roofing Products, Unirac, LG Electronics and Silfab Solar for solar energy system parts.
        Can PetersenDean replace my roof?
        Yes, PetersenDean is one of the few solar companies with an extensive roofing background. It also offers a variety of financing options, including CA PACE loans and 20-year unsecured loans with no money down, no interest and no payments for 12 months.

Is PetersenDean worth it?

Yes, PetersenDean is worth it. The company has more than 35 years of experience serving clients and has built a reputation as being a company that provides solar energy systems that stand the test of time. The company has a team of trained and licensed professionals that specialize in solar power and roofing — a claim not many companies can make.

PetersenDean Reviews

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

My daughter told me about PetersenDean and she convinced me that solar energy was a worthwhile investment. The enrollment process with PetersenDean was very easy. The person who worked with me was very pleasant and knowledgeable. The people there are excellent. It’s too bad they have to work with cities and utilities.

My complaint is it’s taking them a year to get the system installed. But it’s not totally PetersenDean’s fault. It’s mostly the problem that they have to work through with all the bureaucracies. PetersenDean has to deal with the city of Napa and with PG&E which is the utility here. PG&E is extremely difficult to work with. I ordered the solar services ten months ago in November from PetersenDean thinking the panels would be installed in January or February. But it has taken that much time to get the various approvals from PG&E and the city of Napa.

We finally got the panels put on the roof about six weeks ago but we still do not have the final approval from PG&E. I can’t use my solar energy yet so I’m still paying PG&E for power when I should have used my solar energy all summer. My service is not on yet. I’m expecting it to be on in the next two weeks, but I suppose that might mean two more months.

Hi Richard,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We’ll appreciate your patience and feedback regarding your project. We maximize the efficiency of our install process while obtaining all necessary approval from the local jurisdiction and utility. We're glad that you chose to do business with us and we’re delighted to have you as our customer.

Kind Regards,

PetersenDean Roofing and Solar

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

Five years ago, every other solar company was a bunch of crooks and we couldn’t really figure out who was gonna not screw us over so we waited. It didn’t seem like we were gonna be able to get anything that would cover 100% of our needs. They wouldn’t do anything over like 60% of our usage. We would’ve ended up with massive true-ups so that’s the main reason why we didn’t go with solar at that time. We went with PetersenDean because of their longevity in the business and it's been a solid experience so far. The installation was all done greatly. We’re waiting for a crew to come out with an updated SIM card for the Huawei SUN2000-11.4KTL unit, which is the power inverter, so that it’ll transmit information accurately. But technically, it’s on.

Someone’s supposed to get in touch with me today to work out the details of getting the SIM card installed. I was given the link and invite to the My Locus Energy app and I've seen it was highly limited. I didn’t get anything about how to monitor all of my panels. I had to find the app myself. PetersenDean does no monitoring whatsoever. I’ve had to look up all the user manuals myself. I’m gonna have to find out how do I get the Huawei unit which has Wi-Fi capability tied into my router, and how can I monitor it on my computer. I’m having to do that myself. I’m having to be my own tech support on that. Through my own research, I found out this wonderful little thing called FusionHome that can connect into the actual power inverter and I can get more detailed information 'cause I wanna be able to see in real time. I wanna be able to see that all of my panels are active, that 1 of them, or 10 of them, haven’t gone out.

Overall, it's been a good experience. The communication with Mandy, the project coordinator, has been really good. We already talked to her about looking at additional services. We’ve been wanting to get a whole house fan for a couple of years or an attic fan. That’s $600 to $2,000 right there. But it’s a totally separate project and we’re already laying out $44,000 for the system. Branching into whole house fans is something that would bring in additional revenues and is a higher selling point for PetersenDean, or even scaled down battery systems that take the AC unit off the grid entirely. The battery system provides night time offset so why not have a scale-able battery system and panels that are dedicated just to the AC where most of the power is.

Hi John,

We are glad to hear that you've had a positive experience with PetersenDean. We are delighted to have you as our customer. Enjoy your solar savings and thank you for choosing PetersenDean for your Home improvement needs!

Kindest Regards,

PetersenDean Roofing and Solar

Get expert buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 21, 2019

My PG&E bill was high all the time. It was always at the 400-dollar bracket every month. Then, I was getting solar because I have a swimming pool and I got to keep that pump running so many hours. When wintertime comes, it gets cold and when summertime comes, you need air conditioning, so getting solar energy services was the best thing I did. The enrollment process with PetersenDean Solar took seven months. When I first signed up for it back in October, I went through financing and it took months for them to come and do something. But Matt, the rep, was awesome. He still calls me from time to time asking me how things are going. The quote was good, and they gave me some new upgrades and still kept the price down. I'm supposed to be getting another package from PetersenDean on downloading the app thing but I haven't received it yet. I can download the app, and I keep logged on what's going on with my unit.

During installation, they chipped away my stucco to put the new box in and it looks like the patching job wasn't that great. I guess there was no other way around it. It hasn't rained, so I don't know if I will see a leak when they installed the brackets to hold the panels up. The panels are above my bedroom and I noticed that when it gets windy, I can hear something lifting up. It was like the wind is going underneath there and just wanting to lift it up. So, I don't know if the panel is loose, or if there's some type of wind barrier that they could make. Other than that, I don't know if it's working because I got a bill from PG&E from last month until the 20th of this month and I had the panels on for a month and a half now. Still, I’m 100% satisfied with my decision.

Hello Anzano,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We appreciate your feedback and can’t wait to share your positive experience with the rest of our team.

Kind Regards,

Petersen Dean Roofing and Solar

Original review: June 11, 2019

PetersenDean did an outstanding job for my reroof and solar installation. From the sales staff to all individuals that did the work to complete my project, I can’t express my gratitude for a job well done. I was a little hesitant in having such a large company as PetersenDean to do the job, but I was very pleasantly surprised how friendly and competent everyone was. I felt that I was the only one they were working for.

Tom was excellent at meeting the size and cost of the solar system. He came back with a bid I couldn’t refuse. I have to say that Linda **, our project coordinator, is a jewel. She was so friendly and competent in guiding me through both the reroof and solar installation. She patiently handled all my questions and concerns. Thank you Linda, PetersenDean is truly fortunate to have such a great person working for them.

All the individuals that handled the reroof were not only friendly but also did a great job. Thanks for doing such a great job cleaning up also. My roof looks great! Thank you. Also I really appreciated your coming out to trimming of some nails that went through in small part of my eaves. You also took the time to go around the entire house to make sure that everything was done to the highest standards. The team that installed the solar system was also very personable and did a superb job with the installation. I appreciated their hard work and coming out to trim and paint some of the support system for the solar panels. The solar system looks great! I’m proud to show the system to family and friends.

We recently passed both city inspections for the reroof and solar installation and I’m really looking forward to flipping that switch to start generating electricity and decreasing our family’s carbon footprint!! PetersenDean should be proud of every person that worked on my project and positively affect each and every person’s performance evaluation! Thank you for a job well done, Gene and Helen

Hello Gene,

We're grateful that you took the time to share your positive experience with us. We’ll make sure to notify Tom, Linda and the install crews of your positive experience! We're glad that you chose to do business with us and are delighted to have you as our customer.

Kindest Regards,

Petersen Dean Roofing and Solar

Original review: June 6, 2019

Reroofing is a daunting experience, and the team at PetersenDean made the experience as easy as possible. The service is professional, efficient, timely and most important provides excellent customer service and value for the money spent. Our experience included interior damage, so the project was necessary and expedient service was required. From the initial contact with the customer representative on the phone to set up the initial appointment; the interaction with the roofing contract specialist, Paul Wallach; the customer care coordinator, Jamie Waters; the reroofing crew led by Jose, Edwin and Jason; and the solar team led by design expert Noah and his crew, were all superb experiences.

There was comparison with other roofing companies in solicitation for comparative bids. It was difficult to get return phone calls. It was admist the recent 2019 deluge, and understandably the roofers were quite busy. But the 1 week delay in the return of phone calls was not appreciated, especially when ongoing interior damage was occurring.

Petersen Dean staff always returned the calls within the day, and usually within the hour. The courtesy of a phone call can not be underestimated when house repair is needed, and this was one of the reasons Petersen Dean was selected. Comparative bids were solicited, and Petersen Dean was within the median estimated price. Yet more value was perceived for the dollar because of the excellent customer service rendered.

An advantage of Petersen Dean is the professional tarping. I was initially unaware this service was available. Tarps (usually 1 or 2) placed by other roofers moved during the subsequent rainstorms and wind, and did not detain subsequent leaks. Petersen Dean's professionalism in tarping the house with multiple tarps (approximately 8-10) and strategically placed sandbags did much to mitigate further interior damage. It was noted that prior tarps were placed over heating vents and had melted. We did not have that problem with Petersen Dean's tarping.

Another advantage of Petersen Dean is the ability to handle complicated projects. There was extensive dry rot and old termite damage that could not be seen until the old roof was torn off, along with much evidence of a poor job done by the prior roofer. With a smaller company, the project would have gone longer and Petersen Dean had the ability to accommodate the plywood and fascia board replacement within the week. The wood utilized was excellent grade. Petersen Dean priced it according to linear feet, which made the replacement cost less burdensome. Furthermore, the haul off was meticulous, and the daily nail removal with magnetic sweepers was much appreciated. Petersean Dean even sent crew to clean off the oil spots from their trucks on the driveway.

Daily contact with the roofing crew was encouraged. The lead crewman, Jose, respectfully checked in daily with me multiple times, and almost always answered my phone calls immediately. I think only once or twice I reached his voice mail, and then he'd call me within 10 minutes. Jason, the regional supervisor, was always available. We had to coordinate some chimney repair with an outside repairman, and Jason was always available to speak with that gentleman. It was amazing that such a large company had the flexibility to intricately handle the details on one individual project.

I had a minor concern about the roof after installation. Petersen Dean was quite gracious, and immediately inspected the roof the day after I called. They inspected the roof and everything was intact. However, given the concern, Jason reassured me that if there was any problem with leakage, the roof and rooms underneath would be repaired under warranty.

The solar experience was quite easy. Noah designed the project, and 3 weeks after roof installation, the solar system was erected in 1 day. As unappetizing an experience of reroofing can be, Petersen Dean made it as easy as possible. In one week, a beautiful roof was erected. The relief from knowing a professional, excellent job was being done; extensive clean-up performed daily; superb courteous service with all phone calls returned daily with a project coordinator facilitating such communication;and excellent warranty and solar savings provided with the federal tax credit made the roofing experience cost effective and a value for the money paid to Petersen Dean. I heartily endorse and recommend Petersen Dean for any roofing and solar projects.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PetersenDean Roofing and Solar?

Original review: April 5, 2020

Salesman for Petersen Dean seemed very knowledgable. Then the crews show up. That's where the problems start. I had mine installed on the ground as I didn't want problems on my roof down the road. They brought out a gas powered post hole digger which had an issue going into the very hard ground, in a attempt to get the holes deep enough they used a chipping bar I lent them. The holes tapered down as they got deeper barely passing inspection. Required depth 2', some holes a little shy. Then came install of the posts for the solar rack. The company brought out a gasoline powered concrete mixer which never was used. The crew just dumped concrete bags into the holes and added water. I Remind you I've been in the concrete business for 25 years, and didn't even fill the holes up to grade.

Making a call I spoke with the labor Forman (whom was very good). He said he would have a man out tomorrow to fill them. Next day laborer comes and still doesn't fill holes to grade. Phone call later I'm told there will be someone else out there to fill them and finally get filled. Then comes mounting the inverters on the north side of the panels to be shaded in which they had extended the rack on the ground mounting inverters on a old used piece of plywood in direct sunlight.

2nd attempt after phone call someone else came out and remounted the inverters on Unistrut mounted on old plywood in direct sunlight. 3rd attempt, Petersen dean sent a man out completely starting over and shazam it finally got done correctly. 3rd issue which is not so structural in nature but does pertain to the quality of the work that was done. In the electrical ditch for the wiring to service pole the crew threw all their lunch garbage into it as well as some extra 2' threaded galvanized pipe couplings at about $7 apiece. I was fed up at this point and cleaned their mess up and put the 2" fittings into my stock. Overall I wasn't that impressed with the work that was performed at all. After awhile on closer inspection I found a few missing bolts that would have held down panels but fixed myself rather than complaining about everything.

Initially I was looking for a company who used American made parts and would do a good job, but how wrong I was. In an attempt to make me happy Petersen Dean did make me a deal on a monitoring system for the system which every time I change my cell phone the monitoring system has to be reprogrammed which has been a pain. All in all I would not recommend this company to wash my dishes let alone install a solar system, and if it were on my roof all the mistakes would not have been seen. It blows my mind that they are on the top 10 solar companies out there. Amazing. The salesman and the labor foreman were the best of the company that I dealt with. I've had the system for about 6-7 yrs now and haven't had any problems.

Original review: March 11, 2020

We had a 36 panel system installed in September '18. Things went OK thru install, no complaints. About a year after acceptance, I noticed that one of the panels had stopped working and a couple others were running about 50% when compared to others in the same group. Example: panel #1 was putting out 608Kw whereas the problem panel was putting out 203Kw. Called repeatedly for several months, finally got the failed panel repaired but nothing was done to address the two that were underperforming while techs were here fixing the failed panel. Tech said they would all start working better once the failed panel was fixed. Sounded like B.S. but I said OK.

No surprise, the underperforming panels are still underperforming and Petersen Dean, John ** to be specific, after telling me he would make sure all panels would be repaired, is now stating the entire system is working as expected. Bottom line: This company, Petersen Dean, is good at selling systems and even installing them but the follow up is extremely poor. This is a very big deal considering the initial cost and also the expected savings. I would seek a more service oriented company if I had it to do over.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

From start to finish (the roofing and solar project was completed seven months after the contracted date) the PD experience was a nightmare. During this time there were numerous miscommunications, excuses, and personnel changes. We went through three project coordinators during this year and a half dilemma. If we had not pursued communication and updates via emails and phone calls, this project may have dragged on even longer.

The people responsible for specific parts of the project were not communicating with each other which led to delay after delay and repeated and redundant visits to our home. At one point workers came unprepared with the materials needed, and on another, the installation of the solar panels had to be redone due to incorrect installation the first time. My sense is that PD has gotten too big for its britches and cannot follow through with written contractual promises. Worker turnover may also be a contributing factor. Additionally, there are only so many times PD can blame the rain for their delays. Stay away from this company!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

I have had nothing but issues since day 1 with PetersenDean, starting with the installation of our solar & battery backup system and their customer service where the person that was in charge of the coordination told me if I didn't sign-off for them to get funds released, even though install was not even started I could go "**" myself despite I had already released the 1st installment to start the process.

Well discovered the battery backup system completely failed during all of the SCE blackouts during the fires and had 1 one of their technicians out and was told the whole system had failed and he was going to write up a ticket that it needed to be replaced as it was under warranty, but refused to write up the ticket while he was here saying he had to get more documentation from his home, btw his name is Edward and he said he would send me a copy... Well that never happened.

So a week later I called their c/s # and got put thru to a Matthew 661-414-** and he said he had no knowledge, explained the situation and he said he would get back to me the following Monday... Well that didn't happen either so I called back on 11/27, Matthew is on vacation and his VMX said to call Kyle ** 661-414-**, spoke to Kyle and what do you know, he says, "I'll call you NO later than Monday..." Well what do you know, NO call back, called him on Tuesday 12/3/19 and he said the company JLM was out of business, funny, that is exactly what I had told Edward & Matthew and that they didn't know what to do so sent it to higher ups. A week later called both Matthew & Kyle, both said they hadn't heard anything, asked, "Have you followed up..." both said NO.

Just spoke to Matthew at 11:22PM 12/12/19 today and asked what was going on, and he again said "I haven't heard anything back, asked have you followed up? NO was his answer, questioned him again after some heated words and his final answer before I hung up on him to my question "Why haven't you followed up?" response: "Because I DO NOT HAVE TO!"

If you have a PetersenDean system and you have any issues, I am going to warn you, you will NOT get ANY satisfaction or action for that matter AND if you are THINKING of getting a PetersenDean Solar System and or battery backup system STEER CLEAR you WILL regret your decision. And to show that it starts at the top, I am connected 1st tier with Jim Petersen, CEO on LinkedIn and have had numerous conversations and now he is also ignoring my direct messages, so Buyer Beware. The crappy customer service STARTS at the top and filters all the way down. Rusty M. Acton, CA

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

We signed a contract for a new roof & solar in May 2019 with the expectation from sales that both would be installed by July 2019. Minimal contact and responses from PD. PD changed project coordinators four times and still no anticipated date of project completion. Finally, the roof was scheduled to be done in Sept. The first date PD asked us to be home, no one showed up to begin the project. Two weeks later, PD contacts us again (no response to our questions in between the dates) with a date to make sure we had someone home. The roof was installed and with discussions that the solar would be installed in a couple of weeks. Minimal contact from PD. Minimal replies from PD when we reached out to them. Finally PD schedules solar install in Dec 2019. Completed in one day around 20 panels. Advised will be turned on soon.

It is Jan 2020. Solar is still not turned on. PD claims PG&E is the delay. PG&E claims the issue is with PD. However, we are now making payments to PD for the solar and PG&E for electricity with no clear expectation when the solar will be turned on. Others in the neighborhood went with different solar providers after we signed. They had a working solar system within two months of signing. PD is difficult to work with and has minimal follow through on project completion. If you choose PD to install your roof and / or solar, be advised it could be a frustrating experience.

PetersenDean Company Information