Powering Horizon Solar & Solar Spectrum

4.1/5 (318 ratings)

Find Solar Energy Companies partners near you

About Sungevity

Sungevity is a seller and installer of solar energy systems for homes and businesses. As of publishing, the company only operates in five states — California, Colorado, Massachusetts, New Jersey and Connecticut — and it offers roof-mounted solar panels exclusively. Sungevity handles all the paperwork and offers financing options to make solar energy affordable.

Find Solar Energy Companies partners near you

Pros

• Customized systems
    • Financing options
    • Real-time system monitoring

Cons

• Only available in five states
    • Offers only roof-mounted systems

Bottom Line

Sungevity provides custom solar energy systems. It only offers roof-mounted systems. The company handles the entire installation process, including paperwork. Currently, it’s available in just five states.

Sungevity Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sungevity?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sungevity?

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

I always get quick answers and fast service. With the few issues I have ran into over the course of 5 years I always get fast resolutions. Blake and his team always take good care of me. I am in the middle of getting my neighbor to buy from them.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

We received a flier in the mail from Sunrun, with a promise that they would send a $250 Amazon gift card if we would call the number on the flier and schedule a Solar evaluation. No purchase Required. We jumped through the hoops, got all the power bills, did the dog and pony show- and they sent us an assessment- but NO gift card like was promised. I have called several times, and they either say- "Our mistake, it must have slipped through the cracks- we will get one in the mail right away", or will say "Sorry, we just have records of actual customers who have installs- you will have to email your consultant" (which disappeared). Total bait and switch- lie to get all your info then ghost you. These guys are a bunch of crooks.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

I placed the initial call to Solar Spectrum not knowing anything about the whole process. Ray, our consultant, was on top of his game when explaining the solar panel concept. he answered all my questions and was understanding of our concerns. I would highly recommend them to my friends and family if they decided to go solar

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I just bought a home with Sungevity panels. Blake took care of getting me set up and explained it all. The system had a internet issue that didn’t allow it to track my energy but he had someone out to my house to fix it. I appreciate his help and time.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

Sonny ** (yes, at Sungevity) was wonderful to work with. He was incredibly knowledgeable, helpful and supportive, and I wish I'd worked with him when I bought the house and my last three cars! I highly recommend him and the company.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2019

Presentation was easy to follow and understand, representative was honest and courteous. I have better understanding of the solar systems thanks to consultant Crystal **. I would highly recommend Sungevity to my friend.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I was impressed by the professionalism displayed by everyone I have dealt with. Anthony ** is professional par excellence. Very knowledgeable, He sold not only his company but also himself to me. I trusted the information he shared about solar energy and his company with such passion that I didn't feel like I was being sold something I didn't need. I very rarely purchase anything on the first presentation or viewing of a product. Anthony convinced me enough that I signed after a long conversation on the phone. The solar system was installed a few days ago. The people the worked on the project did an excellent work as well. Every thing flowed smoothly from start to finish. We are happy. Recommend Sungevity and their sales staff without any reservation.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

Great experience. William was very professional and timely, clearly explaining every step of the process, thank you! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to my friends. They kept me up-to-date on what was going on throughout.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

I have never had any issues or problems with this company. I bought my house and it came with a 7 year warranty plan. I am hopeful that I can buy an extension when the time comes. The systems makes more energy than my family uses. It has been wonderful to have this installed at our house.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

We purchased a solar system from Sungevity in 2014. We own the system outright. The installation was contracted out to Solarponics in San Luis Obispo, which went very well and was well done And is flawlessly functioning now. What we didn’t know when we purchased was that Sungevity was deeply in debt and failing financially. So our 20 year warranty was worthless six months after the system was in.

Please beware that this company is just a company. Research the principal characters behind it. The founders of this failed company are still actively involved in it. Anticipate that your contract may only be honored as long as it is to the benefit of Sungevity. There are thousands of Sungevity systems and customers in California and elsewhere whole were abandoned so the founders of this company could line their pockets. Hundreds of employees were let go when the company filed for bankruptcy just a few years ago with very little notification.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

I emailed Sungevity thinking they were my solar company, not sure how I did that. Rosanna ** not only answered my email, she helped me figure out MY MISTAKE PLUS she FOLLOWED UP with me to see if I resolved my problem. Her customer service is the BEST I HAVE EVER received. I leave reviews based on customer service, not the sale I get. Some people can sell ice to an Eskimo. I wish I was a Sungevity customer, she has put my place I purchased from TO SHAME!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

Sungevity has great customer service compared to any electric company I have ever dealt with. Instead of treating me like I’m forced to deal with them they act like they genuinely care how my experience goes. While buying a home with their solar they have been very accommodating. Blake has gotten back to me quickly and has answered my questions. I believe I am getting a great deal on my electric with this system. I will update my review if things happen to go downhill.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

I called in thinking I wouldn’t get the answer I was looking for. I was wrong. I got it and I got it fast thanks to Blake. Great service. This company is never done wrong by me. In addition the savings on my electric can’t be beat!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

Please choose wisely when purchasing a solar panel system from Sungevity/Horizon Solar Power/Solar Spectrum. I moved into a place that had a Sungevity system installed in 2015. In 2017, before I moved in, the company went out of business but was later bought by Solar Spectrum. Solar Spectrum revived the name Sungevity but will not honor any of the previous contracts/warranties as the original Sungevity company went out of business and they say they have nothing to do with the original company, even though they reactivated the old emails and phone numbers from the old contracts.

From what I have heard this is all legal, that companies do it all the time for different reasons but mainly to avoid any long term warranties. My system is 4 years old and is currently having what I hope is a small issue but Sungevity is saying that they are not responsible to warranty their work. All solar panel companies might be the same but this is my experience with Sungevity. -Alex

Original review: Oct. 20, 2019

William ** was very informative and a pleasure to work with. I would highly recommend Sungevity. My experience in getting knowledge on solar was a good one. They offer great warranties for their systems. I will choose them if I decide to go solar this year.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

Enrolling with Sungevity wasn’t easy but it wasn’t that difficult. We had a couple of things we had to work out as to how much and what, but that worked out all right. There were also a couple of things that they had to come back and correct. I’ve been paying Edison around $30 a month in addition to what my solar cost is. But then, I got a bill from them that was $360 for some kind of a make-up thing, and I didn’t understand it. My power bill was too high with Edison and now that I'm with Sungevity, I'm far better off than I was staying all-electric.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

I interacted abundantly with Sungevity for weeks as I wanted to add solar panels to my house. My interlocutor was Cameron **. In the end, Historic Georgetown regulations here in DC limited possibilities and the project did not materialize. But at the end I felt extremely grateful for Cameron's patience and willingness to help me learn, his friendliness, competence and the clear sense he was working in my best interest with rigor and impartiality. I would highly recommend Cameron and Sungevity to any of my friends or neighbors.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

We worked with Scott. Scott was very patient and helpful and answered every question we had. (We had many.) After several calls between us we decided that if we are going forward with Solar this is the company we want to work with. Scott went to great lengths to obtain our business. Our many thanks to Scott.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

I was tired of paying PG&E almost $1,000 a month in the summer and looked into solar energy services. Sungevity was the highest rated on Google and I thought they had their crap together. They were using US-made panels and upgraded my Panels and made things right going along. But they dropped the ball by hiring Divine Power. Sungevity contracted Divine Power here in Bakersfield, which I had no problem with. But so far, the installation is still not completed.

The inspector who came out here for Kern County asked if the four C-Tranes we had were permitted. I said that they weren't. He said that C-Tranes must be permitted, which put everything on hold. Sungevity screwed up my central vac system and it does not work. The central vac guy said that it was something Divine Power did and to call them back out and have them fix it. Divine Power hooked up two wires wrong, which could have caused major issues. We've been without a vacuum for approximately 40 days.

I got ahold of another electrician here Bakersfield and asked him to figure out Divine Power did and fix it. The 200 Amp main breaker panel that Divine Power put in looks like a spider web inside. Wires have gone everywhere and not routed correctly. Every wire was about a foot too long. It looked terrible. On top of that, that panel is where my central vac is hooked up, but it's not hooked up correctly. The electrician said that it was gonna take him a while and that he'd come back the next day. But that night, his mother-in-law died in a major accident. This last week was due to the C-Trane, but prior to that, Divine Power was here a total of 30 hours and that’s within one month. I'm not happy about the whole thing.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2019

What a pleasure doing business with Sonny! He was ethical, professional and competent at each and every phase of the process. His technical expertise and communication skills were matched by his ability to build trust and rapport through personalization and going the extra mile. He literally saved us from going with a less trustworthy and more costly company that was trying to take advantage of us in unethical ways. Based on this experience, I will be an enthusiastic advocate for this company and its services within my circles of trust and influence.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2019

Crystal ** from Sungevity was excellent starting with our first contact with Sungevity. She is a wealth of information about solar roof panels and the entire process. We've just signed our contract and Crystal walked us through it and answered all our questions completely. I am looking forward to working with Crystal going forward.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

I looked at the reviews and Sungevity's reviews were good so I enrolled with them. It was easy and painless. From start to finish, it took about two and a half months to be up and running. My system was installed and ready to go, but the electric provider dragged their feet to give me the permission to operate. I had to wait for that permission to run. But other than that, I had no problems with the installation, or the project manager and those people. I'm happy.

The only thing is that they are multiple companies all under the same umbrella. There’s Sungevity, there’s Sunrun, and there’s Solar Spectrum. They’re all kind of like one and the same with Sungevity. So, sometimes, it’s a little disconcerning to find out who you’re really with. If I needed to get ahold of somebody, do I call Sungevity or do I call my installers? Or if I have a question, who I call? But in general, it’s a little confusing to figure out who you’re really with sometimes. But that’s really not an issue since I know their management, their acquisitions, and corporate stuff.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

Sungevity can't install solar panel on pitch roof! I have contacted several solar panel companies for my home. I have very simple two sides pitch roof (triangle looking). Nothing curved or angled left and right. Even my roof doesn't have severe pitch. Less than 45 degree. Other companies are able to install solar panel, but only one Sungevity can't do it. lol~ I can't believe that #1 solar panel company (what they said) can't do it. Whoever has a pitch roof, don't even contact Sungevity. They can't do it. Don't waste time!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Anthony ** explained Solar Panels and in particular Solar Spectrum Sungevity panels in great detail. We had a two hour presentation at the end of which time we felt we knew every nut and bolt of the whole system! He went over the various performance and other guarantees which are many, various inverters, referrals, batteries which we're interested in purchasing at a later date. How the process will go from start to finish and he will be there for us every step of the way. And we got a very good price! What more can anyone ask? Anthony knows Solar and if we can we will definitely refer him and his company to any friends or acquaintances we meet who are in the market to purchase Solar. I'm looking forward now to having the job done. Thank you Anthony!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2019

The on-screen graphics were really neat. Never had a salesperson use that over the phone before. Salesperson was Very nice and professional. She listened patiently to my questions. Everything was explained well from beginning to close.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

Crystal **. I am writing this review to let everybody know that you had provided me the insights of solar setup for home, have kept every aspect of customer service, product knowledge, friendliness.. you have been awesomely awesome. It people like you which makes a great team and a great business.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

I wanted to get away from the utility company. My cousin recommended Solar Spectrum and I spoke with their salesman. He was knowledgeable and nice which was why we went ahead with them. The salesman, to me, is the first face of the company. If he sells then the deal sells. The process was very easy too and the quote I was given was right on. The installation was super simple and painless. The installers came in, did what they did, and that was great.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

I’m on the Dark Green policy here in Marin County, but I wanted to have my own solar system, and I didn’t see a better solution than Solar Spectrum. They’ve been around longer and their track record was better than the other company I was looking at. They were also more professional and their customer service was much better. They had the ability to answer questions and get back to me on-time. Plus, they made things affordable, which was an important component. They were motivated to get me to buy in, and they replaced my electric panel and gave me a roof.

Overall, they were pretty straightforward with everything. But the contract was not completely user-friendly from a layman’s perspective and the math was a little complicated. But all in all, they did a pretty good job. There’s a lot of deceptive marketing out there for solar and to talk people in to solar, they should make things simple for people to understand. We’re not heavy users but we wanted solar because we think it’s important to have it. And because customers are buying a program that’s gonna take 20 years to pay off, making solar affordable, even for moderate electricity users, is good.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

I did the investigation and research on solar energy. I wanted it for environmental reasons and the cost savings was a benefit too. I dealt with all the solar panel concerns with Solar Spectrum. The process was pretty easy. Solar Spectrum was good. When it didn’t seem like the account was working, they contacted me with regards to that.

But I was not a big fan of the installer. They were not that great. They didn’t have the best communication and they weren’t ideal. They showed a bit of entitlement. I talked to Solar Spectrum about it and they apologized. But there was not much they could do because it was the contractor. For the third-party contractor, it was a one-off project and they didn't care. They came to the do the repair but they had a piss-poor attitude. They were not coming back to the house.

Other than the contractor issue, everything seems to be good. Solar Spectrum responded to the complaints in a quick and timely manner. They did the best they could to resolve everything. I had a good experience. I would refer them to a friend. At some point, I was debating getting a home battery pack. But that would be dependent on how much power is being produced and how much power is being used. With the battery pack, you can charge the battery during the day and you live off with battery power at night.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

8.16.2019 - Late discovery of the bankruptcy of my solar provider Sungevity. I followed a link to Sungevity Customer Service and Mr. ** of Solar Spectrum replied immediately in an email. He explained the situation and directed me to the proper source of 1) my contract and 2) my solar system operation. I appreciate the information without having to unravel a legal ball of yarn in advance.

Best//Gayle