2. Solar Energy

Powering Horizon Solar & Solar Spectrum

Sungevity
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.24/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Sungevity powers Horizon Solar Power (Horizon) and Solar Spectrum – two leading solar companies offering exceptional residential and commercial solar energy solutions. As one of the leading solar designers and installers, Horizon has been on a mission to provide customers with smart, simple and clean energy solutions since 2008. Solar Spectrum energy plans are designed for homeowners looking for the advantages of solar energy without the upfront costs often associated with going solar. Customers get a locked-in solar electricity price without taking on the burden of operating, repairing and monitoring so they can experience the benefits of solar without any hassle.

Contact Sungevity today to find out how much you could save by switching to solar for your home or business.

Sungevity Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sungevity?
        How do I know I can trust these reviews about Horizon Solar Power?

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

I’m on the Dark Green policy here in Marin County, but I wanted to have my own solar system, and I didn’t see a better solution than Solar Spectrum. They’ve been around longer and their track record was better than the other company I was looking at. They were also more professional and their customer service was much better. They had the ability to answer questions and get back to me on-time. Plus, they made things affordable, which was an important component. They were motivated to get me to buy in, and they replaced my electric panel and gave me a roof.

Overall, they were pretty straightforward with everything. But the contract was not completely user-friendly from a layman’s perspective and the math was a little complicated. But all in all, they did a pretty good job. There’s a lot of deceptive marketing out there for solar and to talk people in to solar, they should make things simple for people to understand. We’re not heavy users but we wanted solar because we think it’s important to have it. And because customers are buying a program that’s gonna take 20 years to pay off, making solar affordable, even for moderate electricity users, is good.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

I did the investigation and research on solar energy. I wanted it for environmental reasons and the cost savings was a benefit too. I dealt with all the solar panel concerns with Solar Spectrum. The process was pretty easy. Solar Spectrum was good. When it didn’t seem like the account was working, they contacted me with regards to that.

But I was not a big fan of the installer. They were not that great. They didn’t have the best communication and they weren’t ideal. They showed a bit of entitlement. I talked to Solar Spectrum about it and they apologized. But there was not much they could do because it was the contractor. For the third-party contractor, it was a one-off project and they didn't care. They came to the do the repair but they had a piss-poor attitude. They were not coming back to the house.

Other than the contractor issue, everything seems to be good. Solar Spectrum responded to the complaints in a quick and timely manner. They did the best they could to resolve everything. I had a good experience. I would refer them to a friend. At some point, I was debating getting a home battery pack. But that would be dependent on how much power is being produced and how much power is being used. With the battery pack, you can charge the battery during the day and you live off with battery power at night.

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

To lower our electric cost and for the environmental aspect, we looked into solar energy services. My sons had a good experience with Sungevity and we were referred to them. The enrollment was super easy. We financed the panels, but they didn't make it clear enough who the financing was gonna be through so all of a sudden, we got paperwork in the mail about opening our account at DCU Credit Union in Boston and we don’t live anywhere near there. That was very confusing and it took us a while to figure out that it was because of the solar loan.

The installation experience was great though. They came out to assess our roof and they realized we needed to replace it so they put the installation on pause until we did that. They worked directly with our roofing company to make sure everything was done as they needed and once the installation started, it only took a couple of days, but including the system being turned on by the utility, it took about a month. We’ve had the system now for a year and we're absolutely thrilled. We bought an electric car, so we’re recharging and using a lot more electricity and even though our usage went up, we realized we’ve saved over $1,500 from the previous year’s electric bill.

Original review: July 30, 2019

Solar Energy is a change of the future. It is the right way to go for myself to build for that future state and I'm gonna save in the long run while doing my job for the environment. Sungevity was rated over Momentum Solar and Vivint and other companies and they were rated number one in their customer service which goes a long way with doing business with somebody. Since they're rated number one, I wanna do business with them.

Enrolling was really easy. They have a lot of experts in a lot of different areas and everyone I have dealt with is very good at what they do in their role in getting the solar service started, getting the work done and to its completion. They've been very kind and helpful and they've taught me a lot. We're a couple of days away from flipping the switch on but from the start to documentation, to permits, to installation and now to waiting for PSEG LI to get the last bit they need to give me the thumbs up, everything has been fine. Everything went a little bit quicker than I expected. I know it's a long process, especially with utility but everything seems to fall together pretty well. I've not been let down at any point so far and I'm excited to turn my system on. Also, it looks really good.

Original review: July 25, 2019

I was looking into going green. Enrolling with Horizon Solar was pretty good. There was a little bit of mix-up with the information though. I was confused. It wasn't explained correctly about the tax rebate. It seems like I got coaxed into a tax rebate, but it wasn't even a thing that I could get because I was leasing, not buying. I was gonna get them anyways, but it just seemed odd how to use it. They tried to explain that we couldn't use it, but then towards the end, when I was getting to make up my mind, he sort of said that I could. So, that's the only thing. Nobody really has the answers. But I just dropped it, and I just got over with it.

Installation went great. I only had one issue, so far. There's an issue with pigeons going underneath them, and nobody ever mentioned anything about having an issue with that, or whether I needed to put something. So, now, they want me to install something, but it's only something that either Horizon or Sunrun offer. I can't do my own, it will void the warranty. So, they were never upfront with that. And so, it's an additional cost now and it's pretty steep-priced. If they would have been upfront, I would have, since the beginning, either install it or plan for it at least. But their customer service has been good. They've been communicating. And overall, I would recommend them.

Original review: April 27, 2020

The main reason I selected Sungevity was the sales person. I had been talking to 3 different companies and this individual presented the best plan for my needs. I have had this installation for over 3 years and it has been satisfactory. Most of all no PG&E bills.

Original review: April 26, 2020

My home had a complete 30 panel system installed 3 years ago by Sungevity and the communication from start to finish was great. They also added an electric car charger to my garage and I have had 4 electric cars in the process since then. Excellent energy savings across the board.

Original review: April 7, 2020

SUNGEVITY completed solar panel installation 1/28/2020. Project was financed. Received a mechanics lien on 4/6/2020 from subcontractor that SUNGEVITY has not paid. I am now on the hook for over $12,000. SUNGEVITY has not returned phone calls or emails.

Original review: March 20, 2020

I had the pleasure of working with Crystal ** with the Sungevity Company. She had a excellent presentation about installing Solar in your home. She explained the benefits of having Solar in your home in terms of the installation process, the cost of having Solar, and benefits of using Solar VS PG&E. She was very knowledgeable about the subject and was able to answer all of my questions. I would highly recommend working with Crystal ** if you are interested in having Solar installed in your home.

Original review: March 10, 2020

I just inherited my sisters home in Southern California. Her roof at Sungevity panels on it. I have been dreading going through the legwork to get her rental agreement transferred to my name. I sent this customer service department and email and within half an hour I got a response from Blake. He got the transfer done almost immediately. It was very easy. He also took time to teach me about the system and showed me their app to see how the system is performing. I was very impressed by him. I can’t wait to see if it really will make as much power as he says it should.

Horizon Solar Power author review by Zachary Shahan

Sungevity is a leading solar power provider that designs and installs residential and commercial solar systems. It offers flexible financing options and fast installation times.

• Solar products: The company’s solar panel systems use high-quality panels and low-impact mounting hardware. Solar panel systems can accommodate multiple storage options and other functionalities, including an EV charger.

• Financing options: Fixed-payment lease, prepaid lease and PPA agreements are available.

• Installation process: Installation includes site inspection and assessment, agreement, utility interconnection, permitting, solar installation and power activation. Installation is completed in 45 days or less.

• Warranty: Sungevity’s warranty covers installation and panels for 20 years and performance for 25 years.

• Coverage areas: Sungevity is available in California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Kansas, Maryland, Massachusetts, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island and Washington, D.C.

by Zachary Shahan Solar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.

Sungevity Company Information