It's that easy Get a Free Quote
4.16/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

As one of the leading solar designers and installers in California, Horizon Solar Power has been on a mission to provide California residents with smart, simple and clean energy solutions since 2008.

From day one, our customers see an average of 30% savings. We lock in rates for 20 years and there is a $0 cost for panels with free installation.

Contact us today to find out how much you could save with solar.

View More View More

123 Horizon Solar Power Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: April 13, 2019

A couple of guys from Horizon Solar came by the house, and I talked with them, and they sent a salesman out. I always wanted to buy a system, and I couldn’t afford it. And then I realized when I was talking with the guys that if I buy a system, I’d rather maintain it. Leasing a system was the way to go because the company will take care of all the other stuff for me. Horizon Solar's enrollment process went easy. It ran all morning, got started in it, and they were putting the panels on the roof. And then the electrician came out, and he thought it was a surface mount panel, and it wasn’t. It was a flush mount, and so he didn’t have the panels. So, he had to come right back on Saturday and do that. I had power off for a couple of hours.

It took a little time to get through the city when we were done, but that’s the only problem I had. It brought a lot of anxiety waiting for it to start. The stucco guy was absolutely great. I thought he was gonna be here a week later, but he was here on Saturday, finishing it up with the electrician. So, it went fast. I was happy with everybody. All the crews were good.

They explained everything and I hope they were all right. I haven’t gotten my first bill yet, and I’m supposed to be getting my first bill from Edison today or tomorrow. I’ll pick it up online. I still don’t understand where my overage goes to, and how I can tell. When I look in the SunPower, it shows me what I generated for the day for the last seven days but nothing tells me how much of that I used, and how much was left over. Edison shows me what I’m using with them which most of it is at night, but I don’t know how much I’m using during the day. I don’t know what kind overage I’ve had, so I’ve gotta figure out how to do that. I looked up the inverter online, and there’s some way of doing it through WiFi. I have an app in my computer, but I don’t know how to get that done yet, but I will. I wanna be able to monitor the whole thing. I wanna know what’s what and what’s where.

Get expert buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 12, 2019

A sales guy from Horizon Solar Power came to me and the numbers worked to my liking as far as the finance, the monthly payments and the warranties. The enrollment process easy. They kept in touch with me and gave me simple instructions on what I needed to do, and I was able to navigate pretty easily through the process. At one time, I was gonna cancel because after doing the numbers the initial time, I decided that there wasn’t much of a savings, at least not enough for me to make that commitment, but they were willing to work with me to make it worth my while. They handled it very well. I feel good going solar.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 30, 2019

The website states that start to finish solar panel install is 45 days or less. I'm currently going on 8 months and am tired of the runaround. I want to cancel and have what's been done thus far removed from off my property. Worst Solar company ever???? They will not call you back as promised. To top it off I was scheduled to have my breaker box upgraded. They sent Edison to cut my power to my home but the installers never showed up. Had I not called to see where they were then my power would have never been turned back on that day. I was rescheduled but not till another month out which will put me at the 8 month mark since I signed my contract.

I have been very patient up till now and since I've shown some concern about the holdup to them it seems as I'm being ignored now. I am a paying customer and I being treated like I dont matter. I've left this same post on google and sent an email reply to inquiry@horizonsolarpower.com as requested by Liz **. I am still waiting for a response.

Original review: March 20, 2019

Enrolling with Horizon Solar was fairly easy. It took about three months to get my solar panels up and running. Horizon Solar came out, installed it, did what they do and got it past inspection. But in my mind, I was misinformed on my bills. I wanted to lower my monthly PG&E bill. When Horizon Solar said PG&E, I always thought my PG&E bill as a whole. But when we were talking about it, they were just talking about the electricity side of it. We locked in at a rate of $110 a month for the electricity side of it, so I’m not saving as much as I thought I would. They were also not specific about another $7.50 fee I'm getting billed for not setting up autopay. I wish I negotiated for a lower amount. My bill is still gonna be over $200 a month by the time the gas, the tax, and the fee gets figured in. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn’t get Horizon Solar Power. I definitely wouldn’t recommend them.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Solar energy was something I always wanted. To me, it's a way to save especially the power grid, as bad as it is. I wanna do my part. My realtor is a solar broker and he set me up with Horizon Solar. The enrollment was easy. But I got lost in the system over the holidays a little bit. Once I called Horizon and told them what was going on, they fixed everything instantly.

Horizon told me that my electrical panel wasn't up to what they needed. They had to put a new one in which I was fine with because they said they were doing that for free. That made me ecstatic. That was something I was gonna look into doing anyway. They told me that I'd be able to track my daily usage and how much I'm building. I thought it was interesting. They figured out the panels and they got as many panels as I wanted for how much electricity that I was looking to build up. That way, I could also make some money selling back to Edison which was nice. Everything had gone way too easy. Also, the people I worked with were great. If I called in and had questions or an issue, they resolved it super fast. I've already introduced my friends to Horizon.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Horizon Solar Power?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 8, 2019

This started when a salesman came to my door and he talked me into having Horizon solar install solar paneling on my property. He informed me that the first 18 months once activated that I would receive free electricity as an initial savings well That's a deal lets do this. I was informed also that I need to fill out a w-9 form sign it and send a copy to them. But the first month I received a bill for $130.00. This was not right they lied to me with false promises just to get my business to do the install very deceitful to put it mildly. There insulation was also unsatisfactory leaving me upon completion of the install with no porch lights and a breaker constantly flipping because they ran the house lights on the same circuit that uses my house evaporative cooler causing the breaker to over heat and trip.

I informed them what was happening they never fixed the problem I the customer had to repair the the fault using a 20amp split breaker instead of the 15amp that they installed to remedy the issue but the cooler still needs to on its own and not share the same circuit as the house overhead lights. It was an Edison problem that I was made aware of after I brought this problem forward with horizon and Edison told me it was horizons problem than horizon would no longer answer my calls so that's when I has a home owner decided that it was myself that will have to fix this problem I had to have house lights.

They also left me to fill in holes that they dug up in my back yard after they were going to install ground panels restriction my entering to my backyard blocking my gate entrance. They then changed the plans for a roof install and once this was completed they left me with electrical cables or what have you hanging down swinging close to the ground to where even today I have to lift the cable over my head just to get around them. They were informed about this but no reply. I talked to an individual who from my understanding that was representing sun solar that he was the final person that asks about the overall progress of the installation. This was done over the phone because he said it was raining that's why he did not give me a personnel visit to evaluate the overall project and I did explain to him my overall dissatisfaction of this whole installation from start to finish and it was like talking to a phone with no one on the other end.

Bottom line is none of this should have occurred they put my house at risk of catching fire I did fall in the holes they left in the ground accidentally as well as leaving cable hanging down on the ground and something needs to be done about this type of practices. Do not let horizon solar who represents sun solar to install solar paneling on your property they should not even be in business.

Hi Robert,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reach out. We are really sorry to read about the inconvenience you have been faced with and want to let you know that one of our Senior Customer Service Reps will be reaching out by the end of the day today to assist you with a resolution.

Thank you again, Robert, for giving us the chance to make things right and please do not hesitate to reach out if there is anything else we can do for you in the meantime.

Liz D.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Horizon reps told me that we would be saving money with the electricity bill. There was also the money that would get reimbursed. The enrollment process was all right. They talked to us about it then we had to schedule an appointment and the installation. But it took a little while for them to inspect the system once it was done. I had to reschedule it every time and I had a problem with communication. Every time they had to reschedule, I wasn't sure what the reason was. That took a couple of months. But overall, my experience has been good. I've been with Horizon for a month now.

Original review: March 6, 2019

My electric bills were getting out of sight. I interviewed three different solar companies and I felt more comfortable with Horizon. We used them three years ago to put our original panels on the house. My more recent experience with them was easier compared to before. The rep was very forward with my questions and he answered. He didn't elaborate anything and didn't try to oversell. During my meeting with him, I signed the paperwork that night and got the ball rolling. It went very quickly.

The installation went very quickly too. Their people kept us updated all the way about when they were gonna be out, what date they were gonna do it, and when they finished. The crew would call me before they got to the house and when they were leaving the house. I also got constant updates from SCE and Horizon as to what process they were at with getting permits to operate. My original bill was about $300 a month but it went down to $10 a month with Horizon. My daughter moved back in though so our usage went up a little bit. We were back up to $100 or so a month. I haven't seen a new bill since we did the additional panels, but I expect from what I was told, that it should be in the $5 range.

Hi Brian,

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave such an awesome 5-Star Review! Please do not hesitate to reach out if there is anything else we can do for you and Congratulations on going solar!

Liz D.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I've had solar before and it was a good deal. Going solar is the only way to go green so, you don’t pay a lot of electric bills. When I enrolled with Horizon Solar, the reps came out to my house and told me what I had to do and how many panels I could have. They explained everything to me. It was very easy interacting with the customer service reps when I called in. I talked to the people in the office and they answered all my questions. The installation was simple and it took a week. The installers came in and took care of it and had no problems. Also, the quote was very accurate. Horizon Solar did a good job and I was pleased.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the great review and congrats on going solar! Please do not hesitate to reach out if there is anything else we can do for you to make your solar experience even better.

Liz D.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

We initially had several companies come out but we liked the way John presented. We liked what he had to say. We went with him and enrolling with Horizon was easy. John did it all and the quote, compared to the final cost, was perfect almost to the penny. Rosa, the customer service rep, was wonderful too. Anytime I needed to talk to her, she was there. She took care of whatever needed to be handled and she was very nice to speak with. The installation went great too. Horizon started putting the system up on the 1st of January and we’ve been on it since the middle of the same month. It looks great and I’m happy with it. Everybody sent out to do any of the work was awesome. I really enjoyed working with these guys. I have even recommended them.

Hi Vicki,

First, we would like to thank you for taking the time to write such a nice 5-Star Review and recommend us. We will be sure to let John, Rosa, and the rest of the team know about the kudos. Please do not hesitate to reach out if there is anything else we can do for you.

Liz D.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Scheduling with Horizon Solar for the installation of the solar panels and finishing the job were not accurate. They sent someone to start doing the work, and then they were supposed to come the next day. But they didn't show up for three days, so I had to call the office to see what was going on. I could not wait for them every day. Also, when they installed the panels, they damaged some of the parts of the roof. When it rains, then it leaks. Horizon sent someone to fix the roof, and they were supposed to send someone to fix the interior, but they haven't.

They also called a month ago and told me that the system was working. So I thought the system was working and had their service for one month. But then on February 7th, they sent technicians to check the system. And the technicians pointed out that the system wasn't working, so they restarted again. The technicians were good people and good workers. Horizon will probably send me the bill but I'm not happy with that. Why should I pay for a month that I didn't use? Nevertheless, the system has been working.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I've been considering solar energy services for many years now as it's a little bit of a better deal. My brother recommended Horizon Solar Power to me and I went with them. Everything went fine when I enrolled with them. It was flawless. Michael was the rep that I dealt with and his knowledge on the service was perfect.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

My power bill was pretty high. I went to Costco and they have Sunnova. And then Horizon Solar came into the picture. My experience with Horizon Solar has been pretty good. I'd rate them as a 5 all the way from the beginning, from the consultation, to the installation. I was very satisfied with my decision to go solar.

Hi Marvin,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a nice 5-Star Review. Please do not hesitate to reach out if there is anything else we can do for you to make your solar experience even better.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Signing up for the solar system was the only easy part. After we signed the paperwork it was some time before install began. (Not unexpected and not that big of a deal.) Once construction began the installation contractor SD Meyers would show up with little or no advance warning and we would have to lock our dogs up. They would then leave and not inform us so our dogs would be locked up for hours when they didn’t need to.

Communication between SD Meyers and Horizon must have been nonexistent because every time I called Horizon about an issue they had no idea what was going on. SD Meyers used one of my outdoor water spigots (no big deal) but they had to unhook an irrigation line feeding a tree to do it. When they hooked it back up they left the water off to the automatic timer so the tree wasn’t getting water, causing the tree to start to die. They then drove over an outdoor landscaping light and tried to hide it.

They then ran a line to my solar system (one I own). They left a coil of wire on the ground near my solar system which is located near my kids' play area. I called to ask about it and Horizon had no idea why the wires were there. Contractors would come and go and no one seemed to know about the wires. I called and called, every time I spoke with a representative from Horizon I brought up the wires. Horizon sent several people out to look at the wires. Countless pictures were taken by techs and by me and sent to Horizon.

I kept being reassured that the wires would be connected or removed before commissioning. The system was inspected by the county in September and passed inspection and we receive the certificate to operate. I submitted my W9 and again told Horizon about the wires. Late November techs start coming back out to the house to finish the system and commission it. I again tell the tech about the wires.

The next time a different tech comes out and commissions and energizes the system without connecting or removing the wires in my backyard. This left exposed energized wires left in my backyard near my kids' play area. I discover the wires test and find they are energized, call Horizon and get an answering machine. That was a Friday. I powered down the whole system. Monday I hear back and they send a tech to repair it.

Be wary if you sign up. They do not seem willing to send promise incentive checks. I was told I would get mine 6 to 8 weeks after the system passed final county inspection and received the permission to operate. That was September. I still have not received it on January 23rd. I keep getting the run around on email. I would give them negative stars if I could. I am starting to wonder if legal action may be the only way to hold them to their end of the bargain.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I went with Horizon Solar 'cause my sister got solar with them right before me. I've had friends that have worked for Horizon Solar also. As far as getting my solar, the experience with their rep was great. However, their sales department has still attempted to call me three times. And then they go, "Oh, wait. You already have solar." But I know it happens. I think they're just so eager to sell that they just don't pay attention.

Hi Kristina,

Thank you so much for the great review. We really appreciate you taking the time to leave such valuable feedback and will definitely make sure to bring this up at our next team meeting. Please don't hesitate to reach out if there is anything else we can do for you.

Liz D.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

We had a very unpleasant experience with Horizon. They had a guy come out once the panels were in place and he made sure we would pass the inspection. They went through everything and he said that the trench was left open, so the inspector could see where the ground wiring was. He dug a trench last minute, but we still failed inspection. We had to wait for the guy to come back out, then they put us on hold and it took us about a week or two before they could come back out to put the fence around. We finally got the fence, but they left the trench open, so we had to have the guy come back and we had to wait again to put us on the list for the people to come back out to fill the trench.

Then, we had a windstorm and my husband noticed that one of the panels blew over, so I called. There was a guy that lives up here and I called him. He said not to bother with the company and that he would send one of the crew out that night. It was a weekend and he said that they would take care of it for us. He was very nice, however, nobody showed up, so we got very upset and we ended up calling Sunrun. They said they would have somebody come out on Monday because nobody works during the weekend and that they put a priority order on it because it was very dangerous. The winds got really bad and the panels have flown. They have gone to my bed and windows and he said that it could kill somebody.

But late that night, there was a knock at the door and it was one of the nice guy's crew. He said he was there to fix the panels. He came to the door and he said there were no pins in the panel. They had just laid it on top of the device and they saw another panel that had no pins in it either. He said to call Horizon, make sure somebody comes out and make sure that all the other panels were secured because there could be a possibility of other panels not having pins to secure them down. The next day, we discovered that one of the panels wasn't working and it took another week and a half before they finally got somebody out here. I was waiting and waiting. I called Sunrun and they said that it was gonna take 24 hours to contact Horizon, and Horizon will take another week to a week and a half for them to get somebody out to fix everything. I wanted somebody out here, but they said that they had a schedule that they gotta follow. I was very mad.

About a couple of days later, I got a phone call and they said that they had a crew that can come out in such date. I said that would be so nice and I would appreciate it so much. I'm disabled and my husband always locks the gate before he goes to work, so it is very hard for me to get down my steps and to get to the fence and unlock it, but I was more than willing to do it to get the thing fixed. I told them if they could have them call me when they were on their way and that I would go down and unlock the gate. The person said okay and that they would do that.

I waited and waited and I finally got a call that the crew was on its way and that they were almost here. I said that I would unlock the gate. So, I went down the steps and unlocked the gate. I pushed the heavy gate open and came back in. I sat and waited, but nobody showed up. I got a phone call at 4 o'clock and they said that they were so sorry and that they had to reschedule. I asked why and the rep said that the crew discovered they had to travel on dirt roads. I said that we are 1/16th of a mile from the paved road and that we are the first house of the first road of the main paved road. I also said that I knew exactly what was going on. It was 4 o'clock and the crew wanted to go home. I told the lady to forget it and I slammed the phone down on her. I was so upset. I called the really nice guy that I've talked to and I told him what happened. He said a crew was working up in Phelan and 95% of the road in Phelan is dirt.

I called Horizon the next day and I demanded to talk to the highest person I could talk to. I talked to the customer service manager and she had a crew come out the very next day and fix everything. When she called me back, she said she had talked to the lady that I have talked to about sending me the crew and then telling me that they had to reschedule the last minute. She said there was no excuse the crew couldn't come that day and she apologized. She also said that if there was anything she could do, I could have her personal number and call her. She was very nice and amazing, but the crew that they sent out was a total mess.

My daughter and her friends had the same problem. She had one friend that they were all set up for and have Horizon go out and install, but they put everything on hold and they never showed up. They completely forgot and their friends were so furious because they stayed home from work and they missed the day of work. When Horizon reschedules, they purposely cancel the appointment on the last minute. They were so mad and they canceled on Horizon. It also took them forever to get the referral check. Horizon was doing a $2,300 or $2,100 payment thing, but I didn't qualify for that because we couldn't buy ours because we have a manufactured home. The rep promised me a $500 sign up bonus, but I've never seen it. Evan and the customer service manager were the only two people I liked out of the whole thing. We've been so frustrated.

Hi Mary,

Thank you so much or taking the time to leave us a review. We are discouraged to read about the inconvenience you have been faced with and would love the opportunity to make things right. We have forwarded your feedback over to our leadership team and someone should be in contact shortly. Please do not hesitate to reach out if there is anything else we can do for you in the meantime.

Liz D.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

We were looking into solar and my brother used Horizon. He loved it, so we went with it. It was good when we started. Steve came in, gave us the quote, worked with us on the pricing and we had a deal. The installation team was great and the process was quick and easy. The guys who installed the panels was effortless. They came in, they were very polite, let us know what was going on and then cleaned up when they left. However, this has been the longest process. Nicky was originally handling us and I had to ask if she could be removed to get some movement on the case. She wasn't returning my calls. Steve let us know also with needing a panel upgrade and it would take four months but we’re nine months into it and I’m still waiting to get a phone call back from Olivia, just to have someone come out and show us the system. The customer service was horrible and I wouldn’t recommend Horizon.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

Horizon Solar filled in all the blanks. Their rep knew the questions I was gonna ask and had an answer for everything. I couldn't ask for a better install. Everything went smooth.

Hi Barbara,

Thanks so much for the awesome 5-star review! Please do not hesitate to reach out if there is anything else we can do to make your solar experience even better!

Best,

Liz D.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

We have 36 panels already from Horizon that were not producing. They suggested another extra 30 panels at an extra 200 a month to keep from getting a high electric bill. First it took forever to get someone to come and do the plans. Then they kept putting me off on the install date with different days. Finally they forgot to have their installer show us the plans and they installed the electrical and disconnected my current solar panels without telling me. However two guys showed up at property unannounced my ring and ADT camera went off so I called the cops and they were criminals with a wrap sheet - they were arrested. The company accused of having their team arrested. We were appalled to find out these guys were just wandering my property. They were a subcontractors people.

Then they sent a second set of guys and they left garbage and dirt everywhere they installed the panels in the wrong area and with the Santa Ana winds two panels ripped off. My husband told them that by sending a second set of guys with from the same company was a bad idea, we feel it was on purpose. Now three months later I have begged, pleaded and threatened to have these panels removed. They are not even working or hooked up. They are sitting on my property as an eyesore.

The kicker they didn’t pay the concrete company therefore the company put a lien on my property for lack of payment. Apparently when solar doesn’t pay their contractors it becomes the homeowner's responsibility to pay. This nightmare never ends. I'm not sure why they won’t take their equipment or their panels and just leave us alone. They don’t call us back they have not reached out to speak with us and now we have a lien to figure out. If you value your home or your life don’t do it.

Hi Giselle,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide such thorough feedback. We are really sorry to read about the inconvenience you have been faced with, and we wanted to let you know your review has been forwarded to our Customer Advocacy Leadership team and someone should be in contact shortly.

Please, do not hesitate to reach out if there is anything else we can do for you in the meantime.

Liz D.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I got a bunch of quotes from different contractors and Horizon is one of them. The interaction with the reps went well as far as everything, going in and going out. I gave them what I was looking for and the stuff that I wanted. And then they did their take off as far as designing their system and then what I needed. They called me and found out what my average use was, and then what size of a system was gonna cost it. After that, I came on to term as far as money wise or what their quote was.

They always said the incentive bonuses were gonna come right after I got Permission To Operate. And now, they said it's six-day weeks out, at least. But outside of that, they did what they said they were gonna do. The installers were fine. They showed up when they said they were gonna show up, and they installed the solar. However, there was a little bit of a time where I was wondering what was happening because I didn't hear anything back from Horizon or the contractor.

I would call Horizon and they would tell me eventually. But there wasn't like one point of a contact person that I would call. So every time I'd call, I got a different representative or a project manager. That kinda left me in the dark. Also, there's still a tile broken on my roof and I told Horizon that their contractor cracked that tile. I'm still waiting for that to get fixed. It has been about two months now. Nevertheless, I have told my neighbor who was looking at solar panels to look at Horizon.

Hi Ernesto,

First, we would like to thank you for taking the time to provide such thorough feedback. We definitely want to touch base and make sure you have received your incentive bonus and want to make sure that you are able to have your tiles repaired, so we have forwarded your feedback over to our customer advocacy leadership team, and someone should be in contact shortly.
We also want to make sure you know about our Shine it Forward referral program.
* Earn $2,000 for your third and all future referrals.
* We make it as easy as 1, 2, 3, to share your love of Solar with family, friends, and neighbors.

Liz D.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Horizon Solar sounded like they knew a lot more than the other companies and Matt, the first person I talked to, was good from start to finish. The timeline made a difference in our decision since we wanted to get it done way before the end of the year so we could get to finish it also in our taxes. The installers were quick and they did everything perfectly. They took care of the sign off on our pool at the county that was causing us a lot of problems. I don’t look at the meter much but Matt came over and showed me what to look for. He put it in my phone so I could look at it. It pops up and down as power is being made. Horizon Solar was great and I’m planning on recommending them to a lot of neighbors.

Hi Michael,

Thanks so much for the awesome 5-Star review. We will be sure to let Matt and his managers know about the kudos!
We also want to thank you for sharing your love of solar with your neighbor and be sure to tell you about our Shine it Forward referral program.

Liz D.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

There was a young gentleman from Horizon walking door-to-door. We chatted and he was persistent. The numbers added up, we went with it and I'm happy. So we did the second home as well. From beginning to end there hasn't been like one issue where I was displeased, confused or misled. The project coordinator and the guys that came out to the house did a really fantastic job. We have a brand new home, so my wife was concerned about pipes on the outside running from the panels down to the box and how awkward it would look. I related that information to the installers and they did a very, very symmetrical job, considering the wall. It was exposed a little bit, but you couldn't get around it.

There's one receptionist, kind of a troubleshoot girl that's fine to me, so when I call someone else, they kinda transfer me over to her, and she kinda has all the notes thereof. My neighbor across the street had panels installed and he was not happy with the way that the whole final product came out. He wished he would've went with my company. Horizon did a great job. The bill was fair, according to my 12 months of service so I would highly recommend them.

Hi Joaquin,

Thanks so much for the awesome 5-Star review. It sounds like you made the right choice when it comes to cutting that electric bill.
We also want to to be sure to let you know about our Shine it Forward referral program.

Liz D.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I have had a $450 power bill, and I decided I didn’t want any more of that. I got on the internet, and Horizon Solar was the first name to pop up on the list to have 5 stars. I called for an appointment, and about 10 days later, got a call back and had the appointment. A very nice gentleman told me about your program. I explained that I was looking for a way to run my air conditioning system and he said, “We don’t work at that way,” and he told me more about the system.

I’m not in the position to buy equipment, so I was sort of giving up. And he explained then that I could kind of work out a lease basis. I’m still not quite sure how that all works out but at any rate, I got a solar system without any out of pocket expense, and I appreciated that enormously. They came and installed the system very nicely. They were very, very nice people that come and do the installation. But they had trouble with my roof because it’s cement tile, which is very old and very brittle.

They were careful, but they couldn't help damaging the tiles up there. And the repairs were not permanent-type repairs. They were kinda glued-down-type repairs. Fortunately, I have a handyman who knows my roof and has repaired it a couple of times, and he sort of took over. So I would recommend that Horizon Solar have people who are very much more expert in roof installation, at least with old-style roofs like mine. Mike repaired everything, but they provided a lot of equipment. They were here. They brought a pallet of tiles, which I appreciated, and they worked along with Mike. Between his work and their work, I explained to the workmen who came how delicate those tiles were. Overall, did a wonderful job of installation.

They had to come back a couple of times because they repaired my big box. There were two units that they installed. One, the main box, and then there’s the control mechanism and the big box had to be in the place where they had put the control mechanism. There was a delay reinstalling the equipment and a couple of crews came out, but with incomplete information and no resources to do the work. They were given not very good information about what they were expected to do.

The third crew came out after I called and explained that I was getting a little frustrated. They sent a very professional young fellow out who brought a handy back-up person with him to do some of the work. He knew exactly what to do. He installed the equipment and the house met all of the code inspections from the city. And it is clearly working well, so I’m very, very happy with it. He did a wonderful job. I have a little paint to put on the wall. But other than that, the house looks just fine.

The unit is now working. My first power bill from Edison was for $5 and 2 cents so that was better than I could imagine. I don’t know how long that will go, but we’ve had lots of sunny days, and I appreciate having the solar system. I feel very good about having it up there and Horizon does a very fine job of follow-up. Bob, from Horizon, came by this morning to convey the contract and to give me a quick overview of the equipment. He’s a very nice man. I’m 84 and not as sharp as I used to be but he was very clear and very patient. I appreciated the time and energy he put in on his explanations and left me good documentation. Everyone who made an appointment showed up on time. I will highly recommend Horizon Solar.

Hi Richard,

Thank you so much for the awesome 5-Star review and congratulations on those savings! It was really nice to read your thoughtful feedback.
Richard, now that you have experienced the benefits of going solar, we want to to be sure to tell you about our Shine it Forward referral program.

Liz D.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

My bills are around $400 a month for power and I’ve been researching solar for a while. Horizon Solar sent me a gift card from Amazon and I called it. They came and did an estimate, and it all looked good. They had a good deal so I jumped on it. The enrollment process went very easily and smoothly. All my representatives were good. The installation was good too and it was all done when I came back. Everyone did what they said they’re gonna do and they did it a lot earlier than the time frame that they gave me. Going solar is great and I’m really happy. We’re saving money now since the bill is 50% less than what I’ve been paying, which is always a good thing. I don’t have to worry about what I use as far as my air conditioning. It’s nice to not have to crack down on power. Horizon Solar did a great job and I’m 100% pleased with them. I definitely recommend them. If you're considering, call Horizon Solar.

Good morning, Martin,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a nice review. Congratulations on your new solar system and we are so happy to hear you are enjoying the savings!
Now that you have experienced the many benefits of going Solar with us let us reward you with up to $2000.
• Earn $2,000 for your third referral and every referral thereafter.
Login to the Ambassador portal: https://sungevity.getambassador.com/ Straight from your portal you can share your Link on social media or enter referrals manually by using the direct entry form.

Warm Regards, Liz D.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

A friend referred me to Horizon Solar. I’m really big on customer support and the deal as well as the customer support that I got from the rep, John, made me decide to sign up with them. I told John to include the deal and that in order to have a good sale, customer support and communication with me were gonna be the major selling points. So, he did everything that I asked him to do and there was nothing that he needed to do extra. If you’re gonna tell me that you’re gonna be on time, I expect you to call me 15 minutes prior and let me know that you’re on time or if you’re running late, or if you can’t make it.

I went through and read everything, then I discovered some issues with the contract. There were some things that needed to be changed in their documents to make these clear to the customer. I had John send the contract back to Horizon Solar for revision. There was some miswording that was being used, but that got fixed. November was a partial month for us in going solar and I haven’t seen the December bill yet from the electricity company. But I have already recommended Horizon Solar to three of my friends and I’m just waiting for when they would be ready to give their information. So far, everything in my experience with going solar has worked well and John took care of me.

Hi Thomas,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us such an awesome 5-Star review. We will be sure to let John and his managers know about the kudos. Please do not hesitate to reach out if there is anything else we can do to make your solar experience even better!

Liz D.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I had been interested in solar energy services for a while, but I bought an electric hybrid and it was costing me $50 a month to keep it charged. I thought it was time to get serious and got Horizon Solar. It was unbelievably easy enroling with them. The salesperson was very informative but not pushy. He laid out the program, put the whole system in, and got it up and running. I didn’t think I was gonna find a better deal. Also, their reps have all been very helpful. Most receptionists don’t know any more than how to transfer your call to somebody and I couldn’t believe how up to speed the lady at Horizon was on everything. I know it’s a big company and whenever I called her and asked her something, within 30 seconds, she had an update for me. They’re very efficient.

The installation went wonderfully well. They were very quick. They had to replace the tar paper under the roof and they came and did that in one day. The next day, they came and installed it and was all done. The installation was done in probably about six hours. So far, it has been good. I haven’t got a bill from the electric company yet to see and we’ve had more cloudy days than normal. But they guaranteed that it’ll produce electricity that we talked about. Also, I’ve had other customers tell me that if it didn’t produce every year what they said it would, they send you a check for the difference so you can’t beat that.

Hello Douglas,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a thoughtful review and congrats on going solar!

Warm Regards, Liz D.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

My wife told me all about Horizon Solar Power and we decided to see what it does and if it could help our electric bill. The reps explained what it was and we signed on. They came out, measured the house and saw how many panels they needed for it. The cost was a couple of dollars lower than what was quoted. It took them a month to schedule the installation. From the time they scheduled it to the time they got it all up and running, it took five weeks and we’ve been live for two weeks now. When the system went offline, they checked it and they found out that it was their system at the monitoring place that wasn’t reading my system. They discovered it was a glitch on their end.

Hello Gerald,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us such a nice review. We will be sure to let Jim and his managers know about the kudos, and we are sorry to read about the glitch. Please do not hesitate to reach out if there is anything else we can do for you to make your solar experience even better!

Warm Regards, Liz D.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

My electric bill was outstanding and solar energy was something that I’ve been wanting to do. Jim, the Horizon sales rep, was a friend of mine and I reached out to him. He took care of me. Enrolling with them was a fantastic experience. It was easy, simple and very non-intrusive. The installers did a great job. It was a simple installation and it took half a day. The system is up on my house and it looks good. I like the way they designed it and so far, it is operating as normal. Horizon is a great company and they do quick and efficient work.

Hello Israel,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us such a thoughtful 5-star review. We will be sure to let Jim and his managers know about the kudos.

Warm Regards, Liz D.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I don’t like the fact that I don’t really use my AC in the summertime, and I still have $500 or $600 a month electric bills. We were Googling different solar companies in our area, and got one or two quotes. I really liked the guy who came out and talked to us from Horizon, so we went with them. It was one of the most simple things I’ve done. I thought it’s gonna be a whole lot more complicated than it was but it was easy. I didn’t really do anything.

Mike came out to talk to me and Rosa Marie coordinated everything. If I send her an email, I get a response within minutes and that’s what I like. We had a couple of days arranged and I was waiting for just a little bit of work to get done. When I haven’t heard from anybody for a little bit, I contacted her and within minutes, she got me taken care of. I got somebody coming over. I got a date set up. She was on top of it. I get busy. I work for the school district and I’m not home a lot. So the fact that I don’t have to do any of the legwork to get ahold of somebody was really nice. That was the biggest thing. The communication was great, with her.

Then the guys who actually put the solar up, were phenomenal. Everything they did there is absolutely zero damage done as far as like if they’re drilling holes or anything. I don’t know exactly what else is involved with installing it. There's no visible signs of knowing that somebody worked on my house. There were no trash, no foul language, which to me, I wouldn’t have cared anyways. But the fact that they were just so professional was really nice. Other than that, the solar was up.

I’m excited to see what my bills are gonna really start looking like, other than what I owe every month to. When I know I’m gonna pay $231 a month, and that’s pretty much it, that’s gonna be real nice because I’m all about budgeting. When I don’t know month-to-month what I was gonna be paying for electricity, that sucked. And now that I know every month this is all I pay, I can budget. I can use my AC, when I didn’t use my AC before. That’s gonna be huge because it gets hot here.

Hello Jacob,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a nice 5-star review. We will be sure to let Mike, Rosa, and their managers know about the shout-outs and congratulations on those savings!

Warm Regards, Liz D.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I bought the solar back when this was a different company. That was around three and a half years ago. I had 32 panels put on my house, which is a lot of panels, but the system wasn't putting out the amount of electricity that they said it would. Since I've had solar, I've had a bill at the end of every year for $1,000 but I don't wanna have to pay that. I'm gonna pay the solar company $100 a month or whatever the service costs but I don't wanna see an electric bill. That's the reason I got extra panels.

Sunrun is the one I had first then for the extra panels, I bought through Horizon. But when I bought the extra panels and Horizon came out, they led me to believe that they were gonna add these panels to the Sunrun panels I had and I was gonna get one bill. But I'm getting two bills. I'm getting the bill from Sunrun and a bill from Horizon. I want one bill though. I knew that Horizon took over Sunrun but I thought it was still one company. Now, it looks like I've got two companies with two bills and two sets of people I've got to go through. The last time I talked to Horizon, they gave me a person from Sunrun too.

My theory is that if I get solar, I don't wanna pay the electric company a dime. I'm paying the solar company to run my electricity for me but if they can't produce enough electricity, then I don't need them. I got 16 panels through Horizon but I don't know whether that's gonna cover my electricity usage or not. In fact, I don't even know if it's working now. They call me and say it's working. But I'm not satisfied with the amount of energy it's producing. I also can't get online to see what it is producing so I can complain about it that way. I can get people to call me and tell me how to set up my online things but I can't get anybody to come out. And I'm really getting disappointed with them.

I think they don’t want me to get online. They don't want me to know what the system is producing. I guess they're also mad at me because I've yelled at them a couple times. It also seems like Horizon is back east somewhere. They're not from out here in California. They still have salesmen and affiliates here but the salesmen don't know how it works. They just know how to sell it.

Horizon Solar Power expert review by Zachary Shahan

The company is a leading solar power provider that designs and installs residential and commercial solar systems in California. It offers flexible financing options and fast installation time.

• $0 cost installation: Instead of charging a high installation and materials fee, Horizon Solar Power takes care of these costs and only charges residents a reduced rate for their power. The process includes site inspection and assessment, agreement, utility interconnection, permitting, solar installation and power activation. Installation is completed in 45 days or less.

• Locked in rate: Where other utility companies offer between one and three year guaranteed rates, Horizon Solar Power offers a 20-year, locked-in power rate.

• Energy savings: By switching to solar power, residents can save up to 40 percent on their monthly energy costs.

• Referral bonus: Called Shine It Forward, the referral program pays you for every completed installation from referrals you submit. Not only will new customers see a reduction in their energy bills, but they can also earn additional credit simply by telling others about the service.

Profile picture of Zachary Shahan
Zachary Shahan Solar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.

Horizon Solar Power Company Information