2. Solar Energy

Sungevity

Powering Horizon Solar & Solar Spectrum

Sungevity
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.38/5

Sungevity powers Horizon Solar Power (Horizon) and Solar Spectrum – two leading solar companies offering exceptional residential and commercial solar energy solutions. As one of the leading solar designers and installers, Horizon has been on a mission to provide customers with smart, simple and clean energy solutions since 2008. Solar Spectrum energy plans are designed for homeowners looking for the advantages of solar energy without the upfront costs often associated with going solar. Customers get a locked-in solar electricity price without taking on the burden of operating, repairing and monitoring so they can experience the benefits of solar without any hassle.

Contact Sungevity today to find out how much you could save by switching to solar for your home or business.

View More View More

Sungevity Reviews

View 5 featured reviews
Original review: June 13, 2019

My one garage faces dead south so it’s pretty well heated up and I had been looking for solar for a while. One company came by originally. They wanted to put solar on my garage and reduce my bill by $75. But there wasn’t any incentive. They didn’t have the subsidies for it and it was gonna be way too expensive for what the benefit was so I decided not to do that at that particular time. I was actually contracted with Vivint but I didn’t like the way that came about. They were telling me to initial a contract to get something done then another contract and another. The next thing I knew, I was in a full-blown contract so I cancelled that immediately.

I looked at a couple of different things and one was the difference between Trinity Solar Company, Vivint and Sungevity. I went into the customer testimonials, their replies and what they had to say about the companies. When I looked at the ratings, Sungevity was up at 8.9. while the other ones were down at 6.2 and 6.8 and they had some real horror stories in there. I also went online and saw Sungevity's website. They talked about mounting the systems, just kind of showing off a lot, whereas the other ones just talked about how they were the biggest company and installer. There was no fine tune. I like to take a look and see how things are being worked, and that was well-explained in Sungevity.

Plus when I asked the other company what kind their panels were, they said that the panels just come out of China and that everybody uses the same thing. But no, they don't. This was after I had done a little bit of research and found Sungevity's is German-engineered and Korean-built. I like the idea of that aspect of it as well. Christina and Alex were the two main people that I was dealing with at Sungevity and they were very good to work with. When I left a message, they called me back as long as Alex wasn’t on vacation and Christina was pretty good.

The company whose people did the install was Solar Mate and I had to leave them a little bit of a nastygram. But the owner of the company called me back and did an awful lot of reassurance that they were gonna get a particular item taken care of and they did so rapidly. So that was dealt with pretty well. They said they were gonna be here at 7:30 in the morning, and they were. They did what they said they were gonna do.

The federal tax deal, the 30% back, was good although it could have been explained a little bit better. But I was lucky because I got into the 15-year deal just before our Governor changed it to 10. The way that works is that although you do get a 30% credit on the cost of your system, they use the tax credit to offset whatever taxes you would pay for the year. For this particular year, my personal taxes came out to be about $7,000. What they do is they use a tax credit to offset that $7,000 then from there, they cover the liability. That means the federal government would refund me back money and the other eight or seven and a half, that's hold on to for the next year or the year after that. So the credit is there. It just deteriorates. So you don’t get that back in one year. It takes a couple of years more to do it.

The other thing about signing up for SREC is that in terms of the company for trading them, it seems like there are multiple companies that you sign up on for those. You sign up for one but you can pick one. But I still haven’t done that. I’m still kinda lost on it in terms of what I’m supposed to do and who I’m supposed to sign up with. Sungevity told me I had to get signed up but they can't tell me with whom. I gotta shop around and figure out who does what.

My energy bill normally was at about $225 to 250 a month, and it's down to $2.38 right now. The panels went online the first of November. That was going right into the winter season. We had an extremely wet and damp couple of months, and my November bill was $35. December bill was something like $50. Right now, I have over 2,200 kilowatt hours banked in the system. The other thing that’s pretty cool is that because I’m on the solar, I also watch how much electricity I’m burning. That helps out an awful lot. So it’s doing exceptionally well and I’ve told a lot of people about Sungevity's deal.

Hi Ronald,

Thank you for taking a moment to leave positive feedback about your experience with us! You've got a perfect garage for solar and we can't wait to hear about the savings you experience. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us directly with any questions or concerns. We are very glad that you chose us as your solar provider!

Senior Manager

Get expert buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 11, 2019

With the lease program that Horizon did, it was a fixed rate. It manages my cost in a certain period of time. And it's green. I always wanted to put solar cells in our home, but Horizon was an easier way to doing it, through leasing program, versus buying and all the hassle that go with owning. Also, Horizon seemed like a reputable company. They've done a lot of systems in the business for a while. The enrollment process went smoothly and quickly. A guy came out and did the quote, gave us the estimate, and locked us into a price. He did a great job. The quote was right on the money. The only out of pocket for me was the monthly rate. The solar cell is putting out three times more than what we averagely use in a day, so that's great. This is what I wanted. I didn't wanna get a bill at the end of the year from the electric company that we overdid anything. It looks like he calculated that correctly.

The installation was as best as possible. It rained unexpectedly here that we normally don't get rain. They had to push the installation off. They started it then they had to come back a week later to finish it. But once they came, they knocked it out quickly. There's one guy that was pretty knowledgeable. He was the lead of the project. The only thing was after the inspectors approved it and we got the right to turn on from the electric company, the guy that left the installation had the breaker off. So for 3 days, it literally wasn't running. We went out and looked at it. The system was off so I turned the breaker on and it booted up, then it was working. They gotta make sure that the customer knows. They should tell the customer if the system is working, and then look at the system and make sure everything is running. Had I not checked it, I might have been off for a month.

We were negative 23,000 kilowatt hours from the electric company's point-of-view. It seems it's producing like it should. So as long as that number keeps going negative, we're good. I knew we were under from what we were using before with the same amount of people but we added the hot tub so I was more concerned about how that would come into play with the electric bill. So far, it seems to be okay so I don't think we'd have to add any more systems. But I'll keep an eye on as well. I have the tools to do so, which is good. I like having tools to look at my system and know what it's producing. I can cross-check that with what the electric company thinks that I owe or bill. If I ever see a positive, then I have a concern.

I had gotten a form from the company where they bought the solar cells. They put a lien on the house because it's $15,000 for the cost of the solar cells that they used to put the system in. They said after 15 days, they should have paid for that. They should let me know that that's been removed but I haven't heard about that at all. So if somebody from Horizon could feedback and let the company know that everything's clear and there are no outstanding liens on the property, that would be great.

Original review: June 7, 2019

I wanted to finish paying my house mortgage and buy solar so I would be done paying the electricity company and save more money. I had five quotes from companies and Sungevity was ranked as number one on the Google website. After looking at other ones, Sungevity seemed to be more professional over the phone. I felt comfortable after talking to them on the phone. They reassured me of what qualities they have and told me about their company and their product. The whole process went smoothly. Within weeks, they were able to install the system. They followed up and sent me emails.

I had an initial rep and his manager signed everything. There was also a representative who contacted me about the plan once everything was set up. He was really good. He seemed professional and knew what he was doing. He kept me updated. If I had questions, he would send me information. Everything was there black and white. He sent to me all the documents.

The installation went smoothly too. They contacted me and they were there. We had at least three guys installing. I thought they would take one day, but it actually took three. The first day was the set-up, the second day was for installing other things, and then there was another day. Our panels were back ordered for a week and a half. I had to call and they finally got it in. They came out and installed them. I was reassured that the panels were back ordered so I was patient about it. It was good. They were courteous, professional, quick and quiet. They didn’t need much of my help. They did their job and within a few hours, they were done.

I haven’t seen any bill nor gotten many reports. I just got a month and I'm looking at the app to see my usage. I’m learning new things and it's exciting to see how much I use. Hopefully, I’m saving money in the long run, but everything looks okay so far. I would recommend Solar Spectrum powered by Sungevity. The only thing is I never saw a person from Sungevity although I spoke with them on the phone. It would be nice to have a home visit so you could put a face to a person. I suggested that. It would be nice to have someone who is in town and not two hours away. It could be someone more local who can reassure clients so that they know that the company they have chosen is a good one even though everything on the computer may say so. Sometimes it’s nice to meet someone in person.

Hello Arh,

Thank you so much for the feedback about your experience going solar with us. If you ever have any questions or need any assistance please don't hesitate to let myself or any of our team know. Happy solar!

Senior Manager

Original review: May 7, 2019

I live in California and it gets pretty warm here. So, when we run the AC, those are expensive months. Also, I was considering purchasing an electric vehicle soon. Then, there's the fear of how energy is gonna go up in the future. I’ve always wanted to have solar because we have an abundance of sun here. It makes sense to tap into that and the whole green thing, too. I looked at the internet and there were all these different topics I was going through. One that popped up was Solar Spectrum's rating. I clicked on that and they were rated very high.

The sales portion was very easy, very helpful, and very clear as to what the system was capable of doing. And they gave me options for the payment, either a loan or cash. The enrollment went smooth but there was a little bit of hiccup with the schedule for the install. The first day that they were supposed to come out, we were waiting for them to show up. I thought we were still on and then that was when I found out that it had to be rescheduled. I had to make the initial call versus them calling me and telling me that they were gonna have to reschedule. So, had I not called, I’m not sure how much longer I would have to wait to find out that they were not gonna show up that day.

Then, there was a rebate that was supposed to be sent. I kinda reached out to the project manager and there was no return call or email or anything. So, I went back to the original salesperson that I worked with and he immediately resolved the issue. I imagine the check is in the mail, as they say. I’m not sure how much longer that’s gonna take. There were just a couple of hiccups in the communication, that could’ve been better during the installation process. Aside from that, the outfit that they used to install was very quick. It was a clean installation and they had it done in one day. Also, the project manager was in-charge in doing the permits and that went smooth.

I've been very satisfied with going solar, so far. I have the app and it’s nice to be able to keep tabs. A couple of times I’m questioning why it can produce much on Mondays as it did the other days even though the weather kinda went the same during that timeframe. So, I’m just gonna keep an eye on that thing and see how that all pans out, but so far, so good. It’s nice to tap into that sun and use it better. I’m glad I picked Solar Spectrum.

Hi Francisco,

We are so glad that you picked us too! We are glad we had the opportunity to help you use the sun to power home. If you ever have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly and we will get you the solar service you need.

Senior Manager

Original review: April 22, 2019

I converted my house in the Bay Area to solar and I’m renting it now but eventually, I will sell that house. We’re now living in our Kelseyville house and we’re gonna be living here a long time. So, converting it to solar is a no-brainer. PG&E’s rates are just gonna continue to go up, so it was just a matter of living here and being able to take advantage of having the solar installed. So, as soon as we moved, I started looking at converting.

I went out to bid for three companies, and Solar Spectrum was one of those three companies.They were large and I felt like they would have the greatest likelihood of being in business 20 years from now, when I need to replace my converters. However, their initial bid was the highest and they had all the same hardware that I was familiar with and wanted. The price was too high, so I tried to negotiate with them. They negotiated and it got to where they were a fraction low. Having the hardware that I recognized and felt like I wanted to put on the house, having good warranties, being large, and finally giving me a good price, I felt like I got what I wanted.

The enrollment process was very similar to my other solar experience and they took care of the paperwork fairly well. They sent me documents to sign up for the funding and offered me a good interest rate. Paperwork seemed to be typical for what solar is but their contract was much longer than the other one that I had on my Concord house, and I thought it was a little contradictory. So, I spent a lot of time on the phone with someone from Sungevity getting comfortable with the contract and I did, so I signed it. Financing was straightforward and easy. Then, the rest was them working with the city permitting agency to get the permits approved, and with PG&E to get approval to turn it on. Both did not take very long and they were the front man on all that, which went well.

I live out in the country and their subcontractor showed up with no identification. The truck wasn’t marked, he wouldn’t show me his driver’s license, he wouldn’t give me his full name, he didn’t have a business card and he didn’t have any proof that he was a subcontractor for Sungevity. It’s like you’re 99% sure that they’re there to do the work because they show up with all the equipment, but still, you expect them to be able to identify themselves. I almost told him to go away. I was really upset with him but he had the project manager’s phone number on his cellphone, and he called them, and I knew who that was. So, she confirmed that he was their subcontractor. I told her that the guy should come prepared and he should be able to identify himself and demonstrate that he works for Sungevity.

Once Sungevity got started, they were very effective. I’m an old roofing contractor and I saw a ladder leaning up against the house which wasn’t tied off. They weren’t on it yet and so, I reminded them to tie it off and they did. They were very efficient, safe and they did a good job. They also cleaned up. They did all of the things I would expect them to do. The only issue I had with the whole experience was that they were a little impersonal. Sungevity does everything over the phone. If you wanna see a body, or if you wanted to have a feel-good feeling, you don’t get that. It’s kind of very corporate, very internet-oriented. I would recommend Sungevity. I would suggest to anyone to make sure that they’re getting a good price. So, they have to do their research. I had to do some negotiating but it was a fair price, and it’s producing.

Hi Wallace,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a great review! We are glad to hear that things went well and we did all of the things you would expect us to do. Our goal is to always leave our customers homes nicer than we find them. It also sounds like things on the front end went well also. We have quite a few financing options available and it sounds like we got you paired with one that will work well for you. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us if you ever need any solar service. We look forward to hearing how solar treats you the first year!

Blake Hazelrigg

Senior Manager

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Horizon Solar Power?

Original review: March 20, 2020

I had the pleasure of working with Crystal ** with the Sungevity Company. She had a excellent presentation about installing Solar in your home. She explained the benefits of having Solar in your home in terms of the installation process, the cost of having Solar, and benefits of using Solar VS PG&E. She was very knowledgeable about the subject and was able to answer all of my questions. I would highly recommend working with Crystal ** if you are interested in having Solar installed in your home.

Original review: March 10, 2020

I just inherited my sisters home in Southern California. Her roof at Sungevity panels on it. I have been dreading going through the legwork to get her rental agreement transferred to my name. I sent this customer service department and email and within half an hour I got a response from Blake. He got the transfer done almost immediately. It was very easy. He also took time to teach me about the system and showed me their app to see how the system is performing. I was very impressed by him. I can’t wait to see if it really will make as much power as he says it should.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2020

I recently contacted Sungevity for installation of solar panels at our home. Their sales rep Erik was awesome and very knowledgeable. He explained the entire process to us and give us several choices to select from depending on our need. Entire process went very smoothly. We can say that in the end the experience was really wonderful. Thank you Erick ** for your help.

Deepak

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

He is very helpful! Helped me through the installation process and got us a great deal. Continues to be helpful answers all my questions and my wife's also. What more can I say I gave him 5 stars! Great customer service.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

Had a nice experience talking to William. He took his time explaining the process, asked a lot of questions and was honest in his answers. As it turns out our house is not suitable for solar at the moment, so we couldn't continue. But if this ever changes in the future, I definitely would contact William again to help me out.

Horizon Solar Power expert review by Zachary Shahan

Sungevity is a leading solar power provider that designs and installs residential and commercial solar systems. It offers flexible financing options and fast installation times.

• Solar products: The company’s solar panel systems use high-quality panels and low-impact mounting hardware. Solar panel systems can accommodate multiple storage options and other functionalities, including an EV charger.

• Financing options: Fixed-payment lease, prepaid lease and PPA agreements are available.

• Installation process: Installation includes site inspection and assessment, agreement, utility interconnection, permitting, solar installation and power activation. Installation is completed in 45 days or less.

• Warranty: Sungevity’s warranty covers installation and panels for 20 years and performance for 25 years.

• Coverage areas: Sungevity is available in California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Kansas, Maryland, Massachusetts, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island and Washington, D.C.

by Zachary Shahan Solar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.

Sungevity Company Information