2. Travel
  3. Luggage

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.61/5

TUMI Reviews

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

I have carried Tumi luggage in various pieces for over 20 years through most domestic and international airports subjecting these pieces to varying degrees of handling and I still have them all. They had withstood the test of time and travel. My favorite is a carry-on 22 inch with various pockets, expandable, and a top opening which is immeasurably handy, as is the side pocket which holds my hair curler, always a difficult item to pack due to its length. I even have a red set with matching make-up case from the 90's! Can't part with it so it holds out of season items for the next adventure. All in all Tumi luggage has served me

well and I feel confident and proud when carrying any of the pieces as they indicate to the World that I value quality and style.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

The TUMI luggage set I bought was made of leather and cloth materials. Its beauty matches the price tag. It is expensive looking. The quality was well made. It was almost the first generation of multi directional spinning wheels. Best of all it has lifetime warranty. It even has a serial number inside each luggage which you can register with TUMI, as a tracker in case the luggage got lost and being reported to TUMI.

Get expert buying tips about Luggage delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

Every Tumi I've ever purchased has had screws falling out within a couple months of travel. Kinda annoying, especially if it's a wheel or other area that a screw is essential like a handle. Tumi has made changes over the years which is refreshing.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

Like the facts that they are lightweight and have wheels that move in 2 different modes. Easy to spot on the conveyor belts at the airport is another plus. At my age with thin skin I need a bag that is stable and not fall on my legs.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

I have the Tumi Vapor series from 2012 & 2013 and my pieces have held up beautifully with multiple airline trips per year. No dents or dings; most scuffs can be simply wiped away. The pieces are lightweight and the multidirectional wheels roll smoothly without exerting much effort. They still look like new, expect to have them for many many years.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TUMI?

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

I've had Tumi products for over 20 years and they do stand the test of time. I hope you never have to deal with their customer service department. These people are absolute idiots. I can say this not from only one experience with these morons but 3. I will elaborate on this last incident. I purchased a 4 wheel roll along piece of luggage, this cost me a total of $1900.00 incl. tax. I noticed it didn't come with a monogram patch like my last one did. By the way, this patch is free of charge when purchased with the luggage. I emailed customer service and got this long excuse that it wasn't ordered at the time of purchase (3 days ago). So basically I just asked them to send me one, free of charge or not. Then she got into this long complicated explanation on how I should find a local retailer and bring the bag in with me. All this for a small monogram patch worth less than the price of a first class postage stamp.

Their products are outstanding but they are not cheap. Their customer service service department need to get their act together. So I sent my $1900.00 piece of luggage back to them all because of a simple monogram. I just wanted my new luggage that I purchased 8 months ago to match my newly purchased bag. All this for a small stick-on leather patch and 2 letters. Go figure!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

I'd like to point out that I've been very satisfied with the TUMI hand luggage over the course of the 6+ years I've owned one. That said, I hope my review will come across as constructive criticism. I was having issues with my retractable handle, so I decided to phone into the Del Amo store, seeing as it was the closest store to where I was at the time. Susana, one of the attendants was lovely. She took her time to inspect the bag and started working on it as soon as she located the replacement parts. Her colleague John however, (I'm not sure what his position at the store is, he seemed to be the manager) didn't see it fit to extend the same friendly courtesy. Bottom line, good customer service will bring customers back, profiling will keep them away.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

All good with Tumi until you have some issues with the product! Then you found out that they have the worst support ever in Europe!!! I have been chasing by emails and calling and even paying money but all what I’m getting is empty promises and this has been going on for 4 months now.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

I am willing to spend more on something if it delivers quality performance and that is why I purchased Tumi large hard sided case and within the last two years the soft sided carry on. Yesterday while boarding with my carry on I was unable to collapse the telescoping handle. You can imagine how frustrating it is having a line of passengers behind you while you unpack you bag in an attempt to determine the cause of the problem. I finally was able to get the handles to retract and discovered when home that the small allen head screws on the push button handle on one side came loose, with one missing. I tightened the one remaining screw and it seems to work for now. Now I guess I should haul the bag back to the mall store where I purchased it so they may send it away for a new screw! As I said in the beginning that you hope paying extra for something that they claim is quality avoids this nonsense.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

If you fill both sides of this luggage the top side cannot be leaned against the wall etc. Will not fit any luggage rack when flat. Must be put flat open on floor. Nowhere on the site does it say this. I have 9 pieces of TUMI luggage that I love but I will never buy another. I did not use it within the 30 day limit so cannot return it. Also it has a stick-on with my initials on it that also voids the return. Of course they offered that free so they wouldn't have to accept a return. Purchased online Tumi.com.

Avoid expensive home repairs

Take our two minute quiz to find the right home warranty for you.

TUMI expert review by Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.

TUMI is a luggage brand owned by Samsonite. It was founded in 1975 and introduced its iconic black nylon travel bags in the 1980s. Today it offers a wide range of luxury products in leather, canvas and proprietary composite materials.

• Luggage options: TUMI offers carry-on and checked luggage as well as duffels, satchels, garment bags and backpacks.

• Alpha 2 collection: This softside collection is made of coated canvas for durability. Choose from backpacks, checked and carry-on spinners, messenger bags and satchels ranging from about $250 to $1,300.

• 19 Degree Aluminum line: This luggage collection features hardside spinners for short trips, extended trips and carry-ons in 22, 26 and 30 inches. These feature telescoping handles and four dual-spinning recessed wheels and are available in silver, rose gold and matte black.

• Sinclair: This collection is designed for women and features spinner carry-ons and checked back with smaller handles and backpack widths along with matching purses, clutches and wallets.

• Retail stores: TUMI has more than 60 locations in over 30 countries. It has flagship stores in Moscow, Dubai, Cape Town, Osaka, Milan, Beverly Hills and New York City. It also has boutiques and retail locations in stores like Harrods, Elephant Trunk, Dillard’s and Macy’s.

• Best for: frequent travelers who want luxury luggage.

by Rosemary Avance, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rosemary Avance, Ph.D., uses her social science research background as a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team to help people make smart choices. She researches products, businesses and industries thoroughly, then passes on the most relevant and essential information for consumers looking to make important purchasing decisions.

TUMI Company Information