2.75/5
Based on 20 reviews that contain star ratings

20 TUMI Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

According to TUMI's own description, the CFX line is... "The pinnacle of luxury and innovation. TUMI’s exclusive, American-made carbon fiber CX6™ is dense, intricately woven and engineered by using a superior wet infusion process, adapted to bring high strength, low stretch and lightweight performance properties to your travel bags and accessories." The details suggest that the bag consists of 95% carbon fiber and 5% leather trim. In fact, the bag is mostly made of leather with two small panels of carbon fiber that do absolutely nothing to make the bag stronger or lighter weight. In fact, there's so much leather the bag is quite heavy and I believe should admit to being 95% leather and 5% carbon fiber rather than the reverse. I will do the calculations and report in another post. In short, buy this if you want to pay a premium price for an ordinary leather bag.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Their policy is 5 year warranty but doesn't cover any wear and tear. They will give credit towards another TUMI product but the amount they give is minimal. I was offered $200 for a carry on that cost $700. I paid high price because of their so called "lifetime warranty" which turned out to be not as expected as my bag didn't even last 10 years. For a high end product was expecting better quality.

Get expert buying tips about Luggage delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I've been a loyal Tumi customer from New York for 25+ years. Relocating to Singapore, I've had 2 experiences with Singapore's TUMI customer service - abysmal, inefficient, arrogant, and just ignorant. My 2 experiences involve "vintage" TUMI's that are covered by their original LIFETIME WARRANTY - which Singapore refuses to acknowledge. After spending over $1200 for a suitcase, they've offered me a $100 credit to purchase another TUMI!!! I mean... WTF??? Well, I'm purchasing a TravelPro case instead - it's 1/5th the cost, 1/2 the weight, and has a LIFETIME WARRANTY that from online research seems to be quite favorably reported. Goodbye TUMI. Take your Singapore operation and shove it where the sun doesn't shine.

Updated on 09/21/2018: Finally after several weeks of this **, I emailed International Sales, and Corporate Sales in the USA. A week later I get a response that they indeed could repair the case, that they had located a part in Hong Kong and would contact me when the case was repaired. I told them that I needed the case by 23 August (a month later). No reply. Unbelievable... Finally I get a generic reply that they'd contact me when fixed.

What a lot of crap and effort. Fast forward to Mid-September still NOTHING! I then called the local Corporate HQ and spoke with the Managing Director's Personal Assistant who I asked to look into this. She called me back 2 days later to tell me - conveniently - that the part had just arrived from Hong Kong and that my case would be repaired in 48 hours. What ** - it took 2 months for a part to arrive from HK? How the ** did they send it - Rickshaw? Well- I WOULD NEVER, EVER, NEVER EVER PURCHASE TUMI (OR THEIR OTHER BRAND SAMSONITE) AGAIN.

Original review: June 21, 2018

Last month I took a trip from Sacramento to Kansas City and my TUMI roller bag went along (this is a carry-on piece – has never been checked luggage). I haven’t actually used it a great deal at all and it’s in wonderful condition. Well, the telescoping handle completely failed. It extended and would not retract. I tried being gentle and even applied some “gentle” force. It refused to collapse as designed. Naturally this became an issue on the trip home – only so much room in an over-head compartment.

I immediately contacted TUMI through their website and learned how their guarantee policy works. I had to ship it to their repair facility Georgia. I couldn’t take it to a local TUMI store. Once received, TUMI sent an email informing me that some of the repairs were not covered since it was a 15-year-old bag – discontinued model and parts no longer available. I called and was told that all they would do is provide a gift card for me to use online or at one of their retail stores to offset the purchase of a new bag. Or they would ship the unusable bag back. Those were my 2 options.

As expensive as their bags are – even the “on sale” bags are more than twice the gift card value – in some case 3-4 times more. On their website they say wonderful things about how superior their bags are and how well they treat customers. I disagree. In my case, the product failed and so did the company who stands behind it. Final score: no stars.

Original review: May 6, 2018

We have purchased well over a dozen pieces of TUMI luggage over the years. They have generally held up quite well, no airline has ever been able to wreak serious havoc on any piece. Have a large wheeled suitcase which may be 15 years old or more - don't recall that any guarantees were offered at the time it was purchased. The zipper on a front pocket had failed, needing replacement or repair, one of the rivets on the handle needed replacement, and the covering for the edge rolls had failed - didn't make the case less functional, just unattractive. I shipped the case to TUMI at considerable cost. I received a letter to contact them - when I called, I was told my case was "too old" to be repaired! They offered $150 towards purchase of a new case - unfortunately, a new case of this size is around $900 or greater.

I visited a luggage shop in suburban Chicago and found a Briggs & Reilly case of the same size for about $600. I therefore saved at least $150. TUMI later returned my old case to me and I took it back to that same luggage shop - they repaired it, including replacing the edge roll coverings, for only $150. They were astounded that TUMI had refused to repair the case - obviously, age has no bearing on replacing a zipper, inserting a new rivet, or applying some coverings.

That shop also mentioned that they had discontinued selling TUMI for those very reasons - that TUMI was refusing to stand behind their products. I had not asked TUMI to repair my case for nothing - I was more than willing to pay. For TUMI it was simply easier (and more profitable) to sell me a new case!! I had been a loyal TUMI consumer for well over 20 years - no more! I will NEVER purchase another TUMI product. Unless you can find TUMI at a serious discount (unlikely, as they control retail pricing very rigidly) I suggest you buy another brand.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TUMI?

Original review: April 1, 2018

I was told my ballistic nylon laptop bag had a lifetime warranty. In under 3 years the seam ripped in 2 places. I took it into a TUMI store and they offered to send it in for repairs under the warranty but I had to pay $15 for the round trip shipping. After 3 weeks I called them to follow up on the status since I still had not been contacted and they told me that my bag was not repairable and I could have a full retail credit of $295 but the new laptop bags cost much more now and they only come in parachute fabric.

I called an outlet store to see if they had the same bag to replace but did not. While they were nice and sent me photos of other bags, nothing was similar. I had them return the bag to me and my local shoe repair was able to fix it for $20. I asked TUMI to reimburse me the $15 shipping and $20 to repair but they won't. They were simple seams that had to be restitched and TUMI won't do it. So much for buying a high end product, might as well buy the knock offs and cheap bags next time.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I have an older TUMI carry-on that came with a “lifetime” warranty. I sent it in for a handle repair (screw that holds handle to bag came apart) and the zipper pull fell off. Both seem like fairly straightforward repairs. I was told the parts were no longer available and offered to send the bag back to me “as is” or give me $175 towards a new bag. Unfortunately a replacement bag is minimum $575 so it would cost me at least $400 to replace. I’m not feeling the love TUMI. If you want to sell luxury with a guarantee the least you can do is stand behind it.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Horrible! I purchased an expensive bag for one of my family members' birthday, and talked with the customer service on the same day. They made me sure that I received the item max in 7 days which is today. I went to their shipping page and found out it has delay for 5 days!!! I called the customer service. They said, "This is UPS problem not us!!!" I also asked to talk to supervisor and they said she is not available and when I said I am going to write a review she said it is ok!!! Irresponsible people, never purchase anything from this site.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I was 6 days over the return date and this was an Christmas Gift. I buy from TUMI every year and I wanted to still purchase another item for the person, they just wanted something else. I was told by TUMI they wanted me to be "happy" with my item but that there was nothing they could do. It was a holiday gift and obviously the person is not happy, so for 6 days it would be nice if I could at least make an exchange so this person can actually be happy, so I won't be buying gifts from them again next year as I used to every year! Apparently they don't care! A little customer service goes a long way but I guess they don't need my money.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I have a TUMI wallet and my wife bought me a TUMI computer bag for work! I love the bag and the quality! The shoulder strap pad however is bad and the soft black padding is dried out and comes off on my clothing! Most places when I call they send me a replacement no charge no issues! TUMI wants me to drive two and a half hours to drop off and fill it form for a SHOULDER STRAP! I get it, if it was the bag itself but a SHOULDER STRAP!!! If you want quality I still am a fan, but customer service is a no go! I hope this gets better as I was just in Vegas at the TUMI store and Chicago on the magnificent mile at the TUMI store looking for my wife a small bag or purse and now I may not just because of how emotional she gets when she has to call about something that may be wrong!

Original review: July 17, 2017

I purchased a Tumi T-Tech luggage under the impression that it would last for years considering the premium price. After a couple of years, the wheels begin to fail which then caused the bag to drag. Tumi advised not to worry and take the bag to the nearest Tumi store for repair. I was charged a $25 processing fee and a $400 deposit for a loaner bag. After a couple of weeks, I was told bag failure was not repairable and was offered a $295 credit to purchase another bag. I explained that $295 was only enough to purchase a wallet. It was a slap in the face! I would rather buy my luggage at Costco than feel like I'm negotiating at a flea market.

Original review: July 14, 2017

This luggage is much lighter and easier to wheel. Can wheel sideways, forwards and backwards and can be wheeled without tilting. It's also very easy to lock and unlock with built in locks and has durable construction, too. However, my other case had better storage compartments. I wish this had more compartments, better protection against scuffing with airline baggage handling, more color options, more inside pockets, secret inside pocket and ability to attach a small case on top.

Original review: July 13, 2017

I am very happy with the luggage offerings of TUMI because it is a upscale luxury brand that denotes quality and durability. I especially like their small leather goods such as Dopp kits. I also like their clean and masculine lines and I would repurchase again from this brand. The main difference between the luggage offerings of Tumi and other brands is quality and price, in which area Tumi is superior. Tumi also is a smaller and more niche luggage brand, which makes me feel unique for carrying it. Given a choice, I would prefer Tumi generally. One issue which I have with the luggage offerings of Tumi is that they can be slightly expensive compared to cheaper options. Sometimes with such expensive quality luggage, I worry about damage or theft while flying. For this reason, I stick with the smaller leather goods from this brand.

Original review: July 11, 2017

I like the quality of the material and the handles of my TUMI luggage. I'd like that I could recognize it easily off a baggage carousel. The appearance is really nice. The black color truly stays black and doesn't scratch as fast. Plus the storage is decent and it has great features. I wouldn't say it's better than a lot of other brands but overall the quality of the luggage is significantly nicer. But it is very expensive. I would prefer to receive this brand as a gift because of buying it for myself I could barely afford it. I guess it does last a long time but I could only buy this brand rarely but when I do the product last. So I wish the price was more affordable.

Original review: July 10, 2017

My Tumi luggage that I purchased has an extending strap and pop out wheels that I love. It can even double as like a type of stroller which is way convenient when I am traveling with my three year old daughter. When thinking about my Tumi luggage, I can not think of one single thing that I would say that I dislike in any way. My Tumi luggage differs from other brands by its space and many different compartments. It is also quite fashionable and I have been known to color coordinate with my Tumi luggage when I do travel from time to time.

Original review: July 9, 2017

I find the Tumi brand stylish, durable and of good weight. It's a very attractive bag that I'm proud to carry. I wish I had more of them. The Tumi bag is the most attractive bag, it holds a lot and is easy to pack. Also, it doesn't close on me while I am packing like my other previously regular travel bag.

Original review: July 8, 2017

The TUMI luggage came with password locks, extra storage space, and many other awesome features. It's a cool purchase and it fits with my need. The luggage have much more storage space inside, slightly more compartments for categorization, and a stronger password lock. It is truly a great luggage. The best I have ever used. I love it!

Original review: July 3, 2017

It’s so disappointing to have luggage breakdown on you but it's worse when it's done by someone else. I’ve had luggage destroyed while flying cross country a really nice set. The largest piece was broken on a flight from San Diego to Baltimore. But, TUMI's hardcover stands up to airport baggage handlers, weather, tight squeezes in shuttle storage and looks good. Handles like a dream with 4 rotating wheels. The Tumi bags are so greatly made that once you've had them awhile you forget they were expensive but you remember how awesome the air when getting thru the airport quick. If the price tag reduced by about 30-50% I'd buy the whole set. I love the excellent quality.

Original review: July 2, 2017

This bag is very soft leather and has a shoulder strap which is convenient and I like the smaller size for quick business trips. It can also be used as a large brief case when I need to carry major presentations. Sometimes it is too soft for me to pack as I wish. Some of my trips demand that I have a larger bag and a hardsided bag. I also prefer a bag with wheels for trips where I am staying longer and have more clothing to carry with me. My other luggage is hardsided or more rigid with wheels.

Original review: June 29, 2017

I like that Tumi offered luggage that looks very professional and goes well with my outfits when I am traveling for business. It has a classic, sophisticated and elegant quality. Everything about this suitcase is clean and modern. I liked the quality of the materials and the technology used such as the wheels. But now that I have come to rely on them for my luggage needs, I would like a line of weekend bags that are more fun colors and/or patterns. Tumi luggage does cost more than other luggage but makes up for it based on quality. I have had my luggage for quite some time and traveled to many different cities and the luggage still looks new, wheels well, the seams aren't coming apart and nothing has broken.

TUMI expert review by Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.

TUMI is a luggage brand owned by Samsonite. It was founded in 1975 and introduced its iconic black nylon travel bags in the 1980s. Today it offers a wide range of luxury products in leather, canvas and proprietary composite materials.

• Luggage options: TUMI offers carry-on and checked luggage as well as duffels, satchels, garment bags and backpacks.

• Alpha 2 collection: This softside collection is made of coated canvas for durability. Choose from backpacks, checked and carry-on spinners, messenger bags and satchels ranging from about $250 to $1,300.

• 19 Degree Aluminum line: This luggage collection features hardside spinners for short trips, extended trips and carry-ons in 22, 26 and 30 inches. These feature telescoping handles and four dual-spinning recessed wheels and are available in silver, rose gold and matte black.

• Sinclair: This collection is designed for women and features spinner carry-ons and checked back with smaller handles and backpack widths along with matching purses, clutches and wallets.

• Retail stores: TUMI has more than 60 locations in over 30 countries. It has flagship stores in Moscow, Dubai, Cape Town, Osaka, Milan, Beverly Hills and New York City. It also has boutiques and retail locations in stores like Harrods, Elephant Trunk, Dillard’s and Macy’s.

• Best for: frequent travelers who want luxury luggage.

Profile picture of Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.
Rosemary Avance, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rosemary Avance, Ph.D., uses her social science research background as a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team to help people make smart choices. She researches products, businesses and industries thoroughly, then passes on the most relevant and essential information for consumers looking to make important purchasing decisions.

TUMI Company Information