4.15/5

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Samsonite

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Samsonite Reviews

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

We did our research but not wanting to buy online and not see what we were getting we decided it was worth the extra price to go into a Samsonite store. We went to the store in Concord Mills Mall in Concord NC. We were primarily interested in the nylon soft sided luggage. We've had soft sided nylon LLBean rolling duffles for years but as we age we wanted something that would be easier to move and possibly a bit lighter. And we wanted built in TSA locks.

The sales rep, Emily, was amazing. We told her our needs we must have looked at half the luggage in the store until we settled on the Firelite collection, the largest being only seven points. We bought two 25, two 28 and one 20 carryon with the ladies underseat bag. Expensive, yes. More than we had thought to pay. Then Emily asked if we had an AAA card and when we produced it she completed the sale with an extra 20% off. Still a lot of money, but now we feel we have luggage we will be able to travel overseas with without concern. LOL, the only thing we did not get was a 360 spinner that had locking wheels. We leave for two weeks in Ireland for Christmas. This will be a test. But we feel certain we made a great choice.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

I'm a scuba diver who travels the world and found the duffel many years ago and have been very happy with the ease of packing and access to the inside. I can keep my dive gear separate from my clothing. Since they are soft sided, they are easy to push under a bed when unpacked. Came in handy on our many cruises where space is limited. Samsonite discontinued our duffel but we are saved because they now have a newer duffer that is easier to pick up and put into a car with the 2 handles on top. We are very happy Samsonite users.

Get expert buying tips about Luggage delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

This review is for a Samsonite 2 suit "hard sided" bag. I love this bag, I've had it for well over a million miles in the air - a much better comparison than saying "X" # of years if you take 1 trip a year! Oh, BTW, that million + miles was over a 3 year period with only 4 international trips - you can figure out how many trips that was, I don't want to know. The only thing that has needed replaced was the "bar" that allows you to fold the suits in half without getting really wrinkled. I replaced this with a piece of 316 SS round stock that was threaded on both ends so it could be screwed back in place - great fix by the way & only cost me $25 at a local metal shop.

I can say that the outside does show a bit of wear & tear after that many miles, but the inside (except for bar) still looks/functions almost as good as when I bought it - this includes the built-in wheels! I really like the "hang up" styles that fold over, but I have gone through 3 of these from both Samsonite & American Tourister. It the same miles as this hard sided bag. I'm usually gone 15-20+ days a month going to numerous service calls per trip & frequently have less than a days notice to go to the next "fire" that needs to be put out. So I typically pack a week's worth of clothes in 2 bags, this bag and a hang up bag. If and when this bag finally gives out I will search out the outlet malls for another one just like this one!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I have used Samsonite for about 5 years. I usually get the soft cover luggage and my parents got the hard cover one. The soft one is very good, I have used the carry on in about 30 trips (and the large one on about 15) nationally and internationally. Most of them I check it. I have walked on dirty streets with it and it has always rolled very well (wheels needs occasional cleaning with 3M). The stickers are easier to get off and the luggage per se is very light with the handles being very sturdy. I also have the backpack which fits very well in the handle of the luggage. The backpack is very good as well, but heavier than expected. My parents have used the hard cover luggage on over 15 trips and it's currently intact with a few scratches but otherwise working perfectly. It's very light and I feel the hard part offers extra protection specially if the inside is not full.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I purchased my Samsonite luggage 8 years ago. Shortly after owning, I noticed one of the inside zippers was broken. Avoiding what I thought would be a hassle, I didn't bother trying to repair it. Recently, the external zipper broke, rendering my bag too risky to protect my belongings. I bit the hassle bullet and initiated the repair process online. I took the bag in to a Samsonite store, paid the $15 shipping fee, and got an email where I could track the status of my bag. It looked like it was received and returned the same day so I expected that when I received my bag, there would be a note inside explaining why the repair wasn't covered and to remind me of the offer made while I was at the Samsonite store-to exchange my bag for a deep discount on a new bag. Upon inspection, the zippers had both been repaired to like-new condition. I am beyond thrilled. The outside of my bag still reflects travel personality (you may call it wear and tear) but my bag is fully functional once again. Thanks Samsonite!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Samsonite?

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

I ordered 4 suitcases on the bogo sale, 2 I paid for and 2 were to be free. After shipping 1 suitcase I received an email telling me that 1 of my free suitcases was out of stock, but not to worry, I wouldn’t be charged for it, I called to see if I could replace it with another color or another suitcase of equal or lesser value and was told no. It was against policy. I told them that I no longer wanted the suitcases if they were not going to honor the bogo and I was told I could return the suitcases once I received them for a $14 fee per suitcase. I will not give my money to a company that does not value their customers or customer service and who do not honor their sales commitments. There are other brands that are just as good and cost less and they will receive my money.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

Horrible return policy. This company is a dinosaur that is doomed in today's business world. Be very careful when you order from their website. Once your order is placed, there is no easy way out. They will refuse to cancel your order and then it's pretty costly to ship the order back. Just really sad company.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

The luggage I purchased is hard side and both lightweight and sturdy. The weight of luggage is very important to me because now that airlines limit baggage weight, I need my bags to afford more of the total allocation of weight to my clothing rather than the suitcase itself. Samsonite is doing a pretty good job at this.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

I travel quite a bit for work and I used to purchase whatever luggage was on sale because I thought it would make it a few trips and then it would be too beat up to continue being useful, but once I started using Samsonite, I became hooked. Their products hold up well to the abuse of travel and they are reasonably priced. I have higher end luggage as well, but this one is my go-to because it can take the abuse and keep on rolling smoothly.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

Best luggage I've owned and I've owned plenty! Others fell apart. Mostly zippers broke, pull-out handle stuck, wheels broke or they simply wore out before their time. Samsonite lasted much longer than all the others, but one did have the zipper break off. I've actually had one piece of Samsonite for over 15 years and it gets used a lot!

Samsonite expert review by Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.

Samsonite is an American luggage manufacturer and retailer headquartered in Luxembourg. Founded in 1910, it offers luggage, backpacks, duffels, furniture and accessories.

• Products: Samsonite offers many types of luggage including hard- and softside, spinner luggage, glider cases, carry-on and checked luggage, sets, bags, totes, duffels and garment bags.

• Innovative details: Samsonite luggage features details like corner guards to protect the sides of your suitcase, three-dial combination locks, glider wheels, adjustable handles and more.

• Quality tested: All Samsonite products are quality tested. Technicians fully pack the luggage before testing it in an environment that mimics traveling conditions to determine that it meets the company’s standards for durability and strength.

• Limited warranty: Samsonite warranties its products against manufacturing defects in material or workmanship. They will replace or fix any products during the warranty period, which ranges from three years to a lifetime depending on the product.

• Retailers: Samsonite luggage is sold at many authorized retailers such as JC Penney, Sears, Kohls, Macy’s and Belk. It’s also available at Samsonite stores and the company’s website.

• Best for: travelers who need a variety of luggage sizes.

Profile picture of Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.
      Rosemary Avance, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rosemary Avance, Ph.D., uses her social science research background as a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team to help people make smart choices. She researches products, businesses and industries thoroughly, then passes on the most relevant and essential information for consumers looking to make important purchasing decisions.

Samsonite Company Information