2. Travel
  3. Luggage

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.97/5

Samsonite Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Samsonite?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Samsonite?

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

We did our research but not wanting to buy online and not see what we were getting we decided it was worth the extra price to go into a Samsonite store. We went to the store in Concord Mills Mall in Concord NC. We were primarily interested in the nylon soft sided luggage. We've had soft sided nylon LLBean rolling duffles for years but as we age we wanted something that would be easier to move and possibly a bit lighter. And we wanted built in TSA locks.

The sales rep, Emily, was amazing. We told her our needs we must have looked at half the luggage in the store until we settled on the Firelite collection, the largest being only seven points. We bought two 25, two 28 and one 20 carryon with the ladies underseat bag. Expensive, yes. More than we had thought to pay. Then Emily asked if we had an AAA card and when we produced it she completed the sale with an extra 20% off. Still a lot of money, but now we feel we have luggage we will be able to travel overseas with without concern. LOL, the only thing we did not get was a 360 spinner that had locking wheels. We leave for two weeks in Ireland for Christmas. This will be a test. But we feel certain we made a great choice.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

I'm a scuba diver who travels the world and found the duffel many years ago and have been very happy with the ease of packing and access to the inside. I can keep my dive gear separate from my clothing. Since they are soft sided, they are easy to push under a bed when unpacked. Came in handy on our many cruises where space is limited. Samsonite discontinued our duffel but we are saved because they now have a newer duffer that is easier to pick up and put into a car with the 2 handles on top. We are very happy Samsonite users.

Get buying tips about Luggage delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

This review is for a Samsonite 2 suit "hard sided" bag. I love this bag, I've had it for well over a million miles in the air - a much better comparison than saying "X" # of years if you take 1 trip a year! Oh, BTW, that million + miles was over a 3 year period with only 4 international trips - you can figure out how many trips that was, I don't want to know. The only thing that has needed replaced was the "bar" that allows you to fold the suits in half without getting really wrinkled. I replaced this with a piece of 316 SS round stock that was threaded on both ends so it could be screwed back in place - great fix by the way & only cost me $25 at a local metal shop.

I can say that the outside does show a bit of wear & tear after that many miles, but the inside (except for bar) still looks/functions almost as good as when I bought it - this includes the built-in wheels! I really like the "hang up" styles that fold over, but I have gone through 3 of these from both Samsonite & American Tourister. It the same miles as this hard sided bag. I'm usually gone 15-20+ days a month going to numerous service calls per trip & frequently have less than a days notice to go to the next "fire" that needs to be put out. So I typically pack a week's worth of clothes in 2 bags, this bag and a hang up bag. If and when this bag finally gives out I will search out the outlet malls for another one just like this one!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

I purchased a set of three piece Samsonite cloth luggage. I had problems with previous shell luggage and wanted something more flexible. What I got worked perfectly. The set included a checking bag, a carry on bag and a backpack. The backpack fit on the handle of the carry on. These three are plenty enough for any overseas trip I have taken. I have recently taken a 14 day trip to Ireland and an 18 day trip to France. The luggage held up beautifully after being tossed around in many an airport, car, van and coach. I highly recommend the cloth Samsonite luggage.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I have used Samsonite for about 5 years. I usually get the soft cover luggage and my parents got the hard cover one. The soft one is very good, I have used the carry on in about 30 trips (and the large one on about 15) nationally and internationally. Most of them I check it. I have walked on dirty streets with it and it has always rolled very well (wheels needs occasional cleaning with 3M). The stickers are easier to get off and the luggage per se is very light with the handles being very sturdy. I also have the backpack which fits very well in the handle of the luggage. The backpack is very good as well, but heavier than expected. My parents have used the hard cover luggage on over 15 trips and it's currently intact with a few scratches but otherwise working perfectly. It's very light and I feel the hard part offers extra protection specially if the inside is not full.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

Before a trip to Asia I had the zippers on my large suitcase repaired in Atlanta. It was repaired earlier than promised and covered by warranty. Philippine Airlines damaged 2 bags going to Manila, one being my Samsonite. After more than a month plus writing to Samsonite's Asian headquarters, no contact. We had to arrange someone to collect it for us closer to their facility so we had the broken suitcase to use going home. Without excellent customer service, Samsonite cannot compete against knockoffs. So buy a knockoff when traveling in Asia. Shame on you Samsonite Asian headquarters.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

This is just a horrible company. They charge so much for their luggage but it's of such poor quality! I had a small trolley for 3 years but in fact, I actually used it only several times. At the end of these 3 years, I finally had to use it and unfortunately had dragged it for 30 minutes on the street and one of the wheels rubbed to the core. How can the wheel be so delicate? Are they only designed for people who don't carry it more than 5 minutes a use? I had to replace the wheel and pay 17.5 Euros for it. So annoying! I learned my lesson - never Samsonite and never a 4 wheeler!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

Installed as shown on instructions to the windshield and my wife's new cell phone holder now is melted and deformed. It has only been up for a week. It is a Samsonite smart phone holder that is total junk. If I could rate it less than 1 I would. This product by Samsonite should be ashamed. I need it replaced. It is so deformed it can not hold her cell phone.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

Purchased this soft sided luggage for a trip. The zipper broke off within a week. Phoned the company and if I wanted to take the luggage to Montreal, where I live in PEI I could have a expert look at the zipper. Grrrrrr And that was the best the company could do for me. Re-think buying this brand.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

I ordered 4 suitcases on the bogo sale, 2 I paid for and 2 were to be free. After shipping 1 suitcase I received an email telling me that 1 of my free suitcases was out of stock, but not to worry, I wouldn’t be charged for it, I called to see if I could replace it with another color or another suitcase of equal or lesser value and was told no. It was against policy. I told them that I no longer wanted the suitcases if they were not going to honor the bogo and I was told I could return the suitcases once I received them for a $14 fee per suitcase. I will not give my money to a company that does not value their customers or customer service and who do not honor their sales commitments. There are other brands that are just as good and cost less and they will receive my money.

Samsonite author review by Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.

Samsonite is an American luggage manufacturer and retailer headquartered in Luxembourg. Founded in 1910, it offers luggage, backpacks, duffels, furniture and accessories.

• Products: Samsonite offers many types of luggage including hard- and softside, spinner luggage, glider cases, carry-on and checked luggage, sets, bags, totes, duffels and garment bags.

• Innovative details: Samsonite luggage features details like corner guards to protect the sides of your suitcase, three-dial combination locks, glider wheels, adjustable handles and more.

• Quality tested: All Samsonite products are quality tested. Technicians fully pack the luggage before testing it in an environment that mimics traveling conditions to determine that it meets the company’s standards for durability and strength.

• Limited warranty: Samsonite warranties its products against manufacturing defects in material or workmanship. They will replace or fix any products during the warranty period, which ranges from three years to a lifetime depending on the product.

• Retailers: Samsonite luggage is sold at many authorized retailers such as JC Penney, Sears, Kohls, Macy’s and Belk. It’s also available at Samsonite stores and the company’s website.

by Rosemary Avance, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rosemary Avance, Ph.D., uses her social science research background as a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team to help people make smart choices. She researches products, businesses and industries thoroughly, then passes on the most relevant and essential information for consumers looking to make important purchasing decisions.

Samsonite Company Information