2.18/5

49 Samsonite Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 20, 2019

I bought a Samsonite business bagpack in 2013. The bag was barely used as a stand-by. In 2019, one fine day the plastic shock absorbing cushion came off the base dangerously exposing my laptop. The product was out of warranty. All the other parts of the bag are in excellent condition from which it can be inferred that bag has hardly got used. I appealed to customer service with all these facts. Customer care offered me a 40% special discount. I asked them if I will get the applicable full warranty on a new product I will buy by availing this discount. Here lies their hypocrisy, then they started stating it's a replacement with discount. How can special discount scheme where client is paying 60% be same as a replacement scheme where client pays only the difference amount? When they offer full applicable warranty on other discounted products why am I not being offer the same?

Original review: June 5, 2019

Purchased suit carrier online for a business trip. Paid $40 for priority shipping to get it the day before the trip (delivery option specified the date it would arrive). The item arrived late. Customer service was terrible: told me they were not responsible because it can take two days to “process an order”. I’m not sure why they mislead people by giving a false delivery date. I would advise not to buy from their website.

Get expert buying tips about Luggage delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 23, 2019

Samsonite sends coupons codes that do not work on their own products. Received 50 dollars coupon code and none the products work for the coupon. Why would this company waste my time with sending me emails that doesn’t work for their products?

Original review: May 13, 2019

I purchased my Samsonite luggage 8 years ago. Shortly after owning, I noticed one of the inside zippers was broken. Avoiding what I thought would be a hassle, I didn't bother trying to repair it. Recently, the external zipper broke, rendering my bag too risky to protect my belongings. I bit the hassle bullet and initiated the repair process online. I took the bag in to a Samsonite store, paid the $15 shipping fee, and got an email where I could track the status of my bag. It looked like it was received and returned the same day so I expected that when I received my bag, there would be a note inside explaining why the repair wasn't covered and to remind me of the offer made while I was at the Samsonite store-to exchange my bag for a deep discount on a new bag. Upon inspection, the zippers had both been repaired to like-new condition. I am beyond thrilled. The outside of my bag still reflects travel personality (you may call it wear and tear) but my bag is fully functional once again. Thanks Samsonite!

Original review: May 3, 2019

Like a lot of people we bought a Samsonite because of the 10 year warranty. We bought two identical carry on bags (same day) a few years ago. A couple of weeks ago the pull handle from bag 1 broke. We brought it back the the store where we bought both bags. Paid $10 for return shipping and they sent it off to the repair shop. A few days after, I received a phone call from the repair shop, that our pull handle is not covered because it broke and didn't detached? We got offered a 60% rebate on a new bag. Two weeks later my husband send a picture from bag no. 2. Same issue, the pull handle broke. I researched and found out, that this is a common problem and happen to a lot people. Bottom line: We will never ever spend again money for a Samsonite (you shouldn't either) and replace our useless carry on bags with 2 solid Briggs and Riley bags. They are sturdy and so worth the money.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Samsonite?

Original review: April 24, 2019

Absolutely shocking service! I bought this suitcase online for £155, after one use the end ripped. I dealt with the customer service team that said if I wanted to send it in for 'inspection' they would decide whether it was faulty or wear and tear. They wouldn't collect the suitcase unless I wanted to pay a courier charge. As I didn't want to pay the expensive courier charge I sent it into the store in Westfield! Bearing in mind it still costs to park in Westfield (£10 each visit). After sending the suitcase away for inspection from the store and waiting a few weeks I was contacted saying they wouldn't fix or refund the suitcase and blamed it on personal use (even though it was used once).

To add rub salt in the wounds, it came back with even more damage, scratches up the side of the suitcase and the other edge looks like it's going to rip if used again. The plastic is wrapped too tightly for the material to stay on and the end of the suitcase drags along the floor when using, hence the damage. The fault lies with a poorly made suitcase. Really disappointing considering the price tag! I would AVOID buying suitcases from here. I've received no satisfaction and terrible customer service throughout. I normally don't leave reviews but wanted to write it here so others don't end up in the same situation as me.

Original review: March 27, 2019

Don't be fooled by their 10 year warranty! It only covers wheels, zippers and handles. The frame broke on me after just 4 years and they won't cover it. Of course they will gladly let you trade it in. What a bunch of bull. Don't buy it just for the warranty like I did. They misrepresent what it covers when you buy it.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I purchased and paid for 2 pieces of luggage - when 1 arrived not as described on website - I requested to return it to be told I had to pay for the return. - After much aggravation they agreed to pay to return 1 piece but not the 2nd even though I bought them as a matching set. I followed their instructions to purchase insurance and return it via USPS. - I am waiting now 3 weeks for Samsonite warehouse to accept the delivery. - They were left a few messages and refuse to pick up the luggage at USPS. - “They don’t do that”. Well I am the customer and they aren’t helping me - at all! I feel they should communicate with their post office and have delivery during their business hours!

Original review: March 13, 2019

Although the Samsonite luggage itself has been adequate until recently, the company's warranty and customer service are nothing to be pleased about. I purchased my 2 pieces of Samsonite luggage in 2010, which came with limited 10-year warranty. I did very little traveling until 2015, so the bags didn't receive much use until then.

On my last trip, while I was placing my suitcase in the trunk of my car, the carry handle rivet broke on one end. It is important to note that airlines' strict weight guidelines and my lack of interest in paying extra for overweight luggage keep me very astute with the weight of my luggage. This bag was at least 1 pound under 50, which is not an excessive weight or expectation for a large hard-shell suitcase.

Upon returning home I located Samsonite's repair centers (the closest of which for me was a 1.5 hour drive). When I arrived, the employees not only refused to acknowledge the warranty receipts I brought (with a year of eligibility remaining), they also told me that I should have claimed the damages via an airline. The damages occurred via regular use by me with no airport involved, which I told them, so this suggestion seemed absurd.

With a disappointing customer service experience and no solution to the damaged bag, I returned home and contacted Samsonite Customer Support via telephone. The woman I spoke with told me that their service centers are contracted out, not direct Samsonite employees. She also told told me that they are trained to use their discretion on the viability of warranty claims and that Samsonite supports their decisions to approve/decline warranty. Warranty does not cover airport damage, improper use or excessive weight loads (none of which pertained to my situation). She went on to say that their system shows no parts available for my particular luggage line, so there isn't anything more that Samsonite will do. She repeated herself and these statements with robot-like interest.

When the call ended I contacted the manager of the repair outlet and recounted my experience with her employees. She said that she would honor the repair in exchange for the disappointing customer service experience, but that in general what happened to the handle of my bag was not covered. Ultimately, Samsonite's limited 10-year warranty seems to be limited indeed, and subject to debate. I'm curious what IS covered by the warranty if it excludes everything it states as well as typical lifting and carrying in and out of vehicles while the luggage weight is adequate. A product benefit that becomes a hindrance shouldn't be listed as a benefit.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Recently I bought a Samsonite backpack. I contacted the customer care department which was absolutely not helpful. After sending my complaints inclusive some pictures, Samsonite replied with: 'Between the wheels it is clear to see that the suitcase has been dragged over the ground'. After reviewing my own pictures, still I could not agree with this reply. My advice to all: do not buy a Samsonite backpack. I have used the wheels of the backpack only indoors, something for which these have been applied. I am 100% sure that I have tried to handle this product carefully and neatly. Apparently it is a product that you only may look at it. Especially do not use it. Very poor product. It's better to spend your money to a much cheaper product. When it breaks, you have to replace it, like I do now.

Samsonite expert review by Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.

Samsonite is an American luggage manufacturer and retailer headquartered in Luxembourg. Founded in 1910, it offers luggage, backpacks, duffels, furniture and accessories.

• Products: Samsonite offers many types of luggage including hard- and softside, spinner luggage, glider cases, carry-on and checked luggage, sets, bags, totes, duffels and garment bags.

• Innovative details: Samsonite luggage features details like corner guards to protect the sides of your suitcase, three-dial combination locks, glider wheels, adjustable handles and more.

• Quality tested: All Samsonite products are quality tested. Technicians fully pack the luggage before testing it in an environment that mimics traveling conditions to determine that it meets the company’s standards for durability and strength.

• Limited warranty: Samsonite warranties its products against manufacturing defects in material or workmanship. They will replace or fix any products during the warranty period, which ranges from three years to a lifetime depending on the product.

• Retailers: Samsonite luggage is sold at many authorized retailers such as JC Penney, Sears, Kohls, Macy’s and Belk. It’s also available at Samsonite stores and the company’s website.

• Best for: travelers who need a variety of luggage sizes.

Profile picture of Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.
Rosemary Avance, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rosemary Avance, Ph.D., uses her social science research background as a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team to help people make smart choices. She researches products, businesses and industries thoroughly, then passes on the most relevant and essential information for consumers looking to make important purchasing decisions.

Samsonite Company Information