4.11/5

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Samsonite

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Samsonite Reviews

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

I'm a scuba diver who travels the world and found the duffel many years ago and have been very happy with the ease of packing and access to the inside. I can keep my dive gear separate from my clothing. Since they are soft sided, they are easy to push under a bed when unpacked. Came in handy on our many cruises where space is limited. Samsonite discontinued our duffel but we are saved because they now have a newer duffer that is easier to pick up and put into a car with the 2 handles on top. We are very happy Samsonite users.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

This review is for a Samsonite 2 suit "hard sided" bag. I love this bag, I've had it for well over a million miles in the air - a much better comparison than saying "X" # of years if you take 1 trip a year! Oh, BTW, that million + miles was over a 3 year period with only 4 international trips - you can figure out how many trips that was, I don't want to know. The only thing that has needed replaced was the "bar" that allows you to fold the suits in half without getting really wrinkled. I replaced this with a piece of 316 SS round stock that was threaded on both ends so it could be screwed back in place - great fix by the way & only cost me $25 at a local metal shop.

I can say that the outside does show a bit of wear & tear after that many miles, but the inside (except for bar) still looks/functions almost as good as when I bought it - this includes the built-in wheels! I really like the "hang up" styles that fold over, but I have gone through 3 of these from both Samsonite & American Tourister. It the same miles as this hard sided bag. I'm usually gone 15-20+ days a month going to numerous service calls per trip & frequently have less than a days notice to go to the next "fire" that needs to be put out. So I typically pack a week's worth of clothes in 2 bags, this bag and a hang up bag. If and when this bag finally gives out I will search out the outlet malls for another one just like this one!

Get expert buying tips about Luggage delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

I purchased a set of three piece Samsonite cloth luggage. I had problems with previous shell luggage and wanted something more flexible. What I got worked perfectly. The set included a checking bag, a carry on bag and a backpack. The backpack fit on the handle of the carry on. These three are plenty enough for any overseas trip I have taken. I have recently taken a 14 day trip to Ireland and an 18 day trip to France. The luggage held up beautifully after being tossed around in many an airport, car, van and coach. I highly recommend the cloth Samsonite luggage.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I have used Samsonite for about 5 years. I usually get the soft cover luggage and my parents got the hard cover one. The soft one is very good, I have used the carry on in about 30 trips (and the large one on about 15) nationally and internationally. Most of them I check it. I have walked on dirty streets with it and it has always rolled very well (wheels needs occasional cleaning with 3M). The stickers are easier to get off and the luggage per se is very light with the handles being very sturdy. I also have the backpack which fits very well in the handle of the luggage. The backpack is very good as well, but heavier than expected. My parents have used the hard cover luggage on over 15 trips and it's currently intact with a few scratches but otherwise working perfectly. It's very light and I feel the hard part offers extra protection specially if the inside is not full.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I purchased my Samsonite luggage 8 years ago. Shortly after owning, I noticed one of the inside zippers was broken. Avoiding what I thought would be a hassle, I didn't bother trying to repair it. Recently, the external zipper broke, rendering my bag too risky to protect my belongings. I bit the hassle bullet and initiated the repair process online. I took the bag in to a Samsonite store, paid the $15 shipping fee, and got an email where I could track the status of my bag. It looked like it was received and returned the same day so I expected that when I received my bag, there would be a note inside explaining why the repair wasn't covered and to remind me of the offer made while I was at the Samsonite store-to exchange my bag for a deep discount on a new bag. Upon inspection, the zippers had both been repaired to like-new condition. I am beyond thrilled. The outside of my bag still reflects travel personality (you may call it wear and tear) but my bag is fully functional once again. Thanks Samsonite!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Samsonite?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

The luggage I purchased is hard side and both lightweight and sturdy. The weight of luggage is very important to me because now that airlines limit baggage weight, I need my bags to afford more of the total allocation of weight to my clothing rather than the suitcase itself. Samsonite is doing a pretty good job at this.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

I travel quite a bit for work and I used to purchase whatever luggage was on sale because I thought it would make it a few trips and then it would be too beat up to continue being useful, but once I started using Samsonite, I became hooked. Their products hold up well to the abuse of travel and they are reasonably priced. I have higher end luggage as well, but this one is my go-to because it can take the abuse and keep on rolling smoothly.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

Best luggage I've owned and I've owned plenty! Others fell apart. Mostly zippers broke, pull-out handle stuck, wheels broke or they simply wore out before their time. Samsonite lasted much longer than all the others, but one did have the zipper break off. I've actually had one piece of Samsonite for over 15 years and it gets used a lot!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

I travel at least twice a year out of the country and at least six times within my country. Being an avid traveler, I have great difficulty living out off a suitcase but, with the Samsonite bags, my life becomes very simple with the numerous compartments and easy to move luggage bags, very simple from airport to hotel and vice versa.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

Quality is key. With the right equipment and having good taste, you can do anything. I always shop for the best or get referrals on what's working for people, especially when it comes to traveling. If you get the right equipment you don't have to keep purchasing it over and over again. Samsonite will last a long time.

Samsonite expert review by Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.

Samsonite is an American luggage manufacturer and retailer headquartered in Luxembourg. Founded in 1910, it offers luggage, backpacks, duffels, furniture and accessories.

• Products: Samsonite offers many types of luggage including hard- and softside, spinner luggage, glider cases, carry-on and checked luggage, sets, bags, totes, duffels and garment bags.

• Innovative details: Samsonite luggage features details like corner guards to protect the sides of your suitcase, three-dial combination locks, glider wheels, adjustable handles and more.

• Quality tested: All Samsonite products are quality tested. Technicians fully pack the luggage before testing it in an environment that mimics traveling conditions to determine that it meets the company’s standards for durability and strength.

• Limited warranty: Samsonite warranties its products against manufacturing defects in material or workmanship. They will replace or fix any products during the warranty period, which ranges from three years to a lifetime depending on the product.

• Retailers: Samsonite luggage is sold at many authorized retailers such as JC Penney, Sears, Kohls, Macy’s and Belk. It’s also available at Samsonite stores and the company’s website.

• Best for: travelers who need a variety of luggage sizes.

Profile picture of Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.
      Rosemary Avance, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rosemary Avance, Ph.D., uses her social science research background as a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team to help people make smart choices. She researches products, businesses and industries thoroughly, then passes on the most relevant and essential information for consumers looking to make important purchasing decisions.

Samsonite Company Information