2.32/5
Based on 41 reviews that contain star ratings
Are you this business? Claim your page

41 Samsonite Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 13, 2019

Although the Samsonite luggage itself has been adequate until recently, the company's warranty and customer service are nothing to be pleased about. I purchased my 2 pieces of Samsonite luggage in 2010, which came with limited 10-year warranty. I did very little traveling until 2015, so the bags didn't receive much use until then.

On my last trip, while I was placing my suitcase in the trunk of my car, the carry handle rivet broke on one end. It is important to note that airlines' strict weight guidelines and my lack of interest in paying extra for overweight luggage keep me very astute with the weight of my luggage. This bag was at least 1 pound under 50, which is not an excessive weight or expectation for a large hard-shell suitcase.

Upon returning home I located Samsonite's repair centers (the closest of which for me was a 1.5 hour drive). When I arrived, the employees not only refused to acknowledge the warranty receipts I brought (with a year of eligibility remaining), they also told me that I should have claimed the damages via an airline. The damages occurred via regular use by me with no airport involved, which I told them, so this suggestion seemed absurd.

With a disappointing customer service experience and no solution to the damaged bag, I returned home and contacted Samsonite Customer Support via telephone. The woman I spoke with told me that their service centers are contracted out, not direct Samsonite employees. She also told told me that they are trained to use their discretion on the viability of warranty claims and that Samsonite supports their decisions to approve/decline warranty. Warranty does not cover airport damage, improper use or excessive weight loads (none of which pertained to my situation). She went on to say that their system shows no parts available for my particular luggage line, so there isn't anything more that Samsonite will do. She repeated herself and these statements with robot-like interest.

When the call ended I contacted the manager of the repair outlet and recounted my experience with her employees. She said that she would honor the repair in exchange for the disappointing customer service experience, but that in general what happened to the handle of my bag was not covered. Ultimately, Samsonite's limited 10-year warranty seems to be limited indeed, and subject to debate. I'm curious what IS covered by the warranty if it excludes everything it states as well as typical lifting and carrying in and out of vehicles while the luggage weight is adequate. A product benefit that becomes a hindrance shouldn't be listed as a benefit.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Recently I bought a Samsonite backpack. I contacted the customer care department which was absolutely not helpful. After sending my complaints inclusive some pictures, Samsonite replied with: 'Between the wheels it is clear to see that the suitcase has been dragged over the ground'. After reviewing my own pictures, still I could not agree with this reply. My advice to all: do not buy a Samsonite backpack. I have used the wheels of the backpack only indoors, something for which these have been applied. I am 100% sure that I have tried to handle this product carefully and neatly. Apparently it is a product that you only may look at it. Especially do not use it. Very poor product. It's better to spend your money to a much cheaper product. When it breaks, you have to replace it, like I do now.

Get expert buying tips about Luggage delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

Recently bought suitcase. Under year old product got damaged. Contacted to customer care department. Woman on the phone was not helpful. Very argumentative. Very poor product. Not worth that money you spend and when it's faulty company not helpful. Not recommend anyone.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Like other reviews, I have contacted Samsonite Customer Service to get a refund. I ordered the women's convertible briefcase in Bordeaux - and it arrived quickly - but was black. I called customer service and was instructed to take a picture of the item and email it with the order number to confirm that the wrong one was sent - and Samsonite would send me a return label. I did that on 12/27/18 - and nothing. I called on 1/3 - was told an email with the label would be sent; nothing. Called again on 1/15 - same story only this time I was told to call back on 1/18 if I did not receive the label. I did that - was getting the same story - so asked for a supervisor. I received the label that day.

I sent the item off the next day - it was received at the warehouse on 01/28/18 at 12:38 pm. I called on 02/08/19 and was told the refund would take 14 business days after the warehouse received it - so 02/14/18. I called today, 02/19/19 - and asked for a supervisor - who told me that there is nothing she could do - that the warehouse must issue the refund. She said she would submit an inquiry and put a note in my account. I asked when I should call back - and she said - "My hope is you won't have to." My response was that since it took 4 calls with elevation to a supervisor to get a label - and now had taken 3 calls with elevation to a supervisor - I wasn't hopeful. She final said it should be resolved by early next week. When I asked who else I could call - she said there is no one. I am frustrated and can't understand how this company stays in business. I will NEVER buy another Samsonite product.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I purchased a suitcase online in December for an upcoming vacation. I have heard Samsonite has decent luggage. Upon receiving my package, the suitcase wasn’t exactly what I was looking for. I sent it back at the beginning of January. I expected a friendly and speedy return process. Needless to say it’s the middle of February and I keep getting the runaround from Samsonite’s customer service. While friendly, their customer service has no authority over issuing refunds and can only communicated to the department who handles refunds via e-mail.

The department has been e-mailed 3 times. I’ve been told I would get an e-mail each time from them stating my refund is being worked on. Each deadline that was given to me has expired. Needless to say I still don’t have my refund and I was given another deadline. This experience has been frustrating and timing consuming that I will not be purchasing a Samsonite product again! I don’t like to be negative, however I am displeased Samsonite doesn’t prioritize their customers' needs in a timely manner. Not worth the hassle.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Samsonite?

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I returned an item which arrived to their warehouse 1/3/19 (per my tracking receipt) and I still do not have my refund. Every time I call (many calls made) I am told it will be posted to my account in "7-10 business days", "24-48 hours", "customer advocate is taking care of it", yet here I am still with no refund. I advised the customer service rep I will be pursuing further (legal) action if I do not have the refund this week. I will NEVER order again from this company.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Regarding my return that was received by Samsonite on 12/24/18. To date, which is 2/4/19, I still have not seen the credit to my credit card. I have reached out 3x via customer chat and 2x via email to check on status. The Samsonite chat agents and email reply ability to resolve issues are below par and unfriendly. The company is quick to charge a customer's credit card and slow to refund. It's distasteful that a company as strong standing as Samsonite cannot refund an order one month after receiving a return.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I bought a luggage for 600 dollars, it is with a 10 years warranty and the luggage is falling apart and they dont even pay for the repairs. I just paid 135 dollars more to fix the piece and they dont take any responsibility over their product. Very cheap company.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I spent over $300 for mid-sized piece of luggage in late 2017, four wheel rolling type with latches. On the first trip, one wheel broke off in the airplane's luggage compartment, turned out to have cheap plastic axles that obviously could not absorb much force. I managed on three wheels for the next 9 months, now the other wheel was also broken off in the airplane's luggage compartment. I paid a significant amount for this product, counted on the brand being meaningful. Very disappointed in trusting Samsonite to engineer a reliable and durable product.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I purchased a backpack from Samsonite.com as a Christmas gift on Dec. 18, got the package 2 days later but they sent the wrong item. Called them and let them know of their mistake, they asked me to send pictures of the wrong item and I had to place a different order to get the right item. They got the email with the pictures on the 21st and sent me a response stating that it would take 7-10 days for them to review the case. It is January 3rd and I still haven't gotten the return label for me to return the item and get my money back.

Contact them again today (Jan. 3rd) and was told that it would still be 5 more working days for them to review the case since the company was closed Dec. 24th, 25th, 31st and January 1st. I am not going to be seeing my money back until at least two more weeks!!! I am paying for THEIR mistake, couldn't give the gift in time because of them and they will be holding my money for over a month. VERY DISAPPOINTING.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I was traveling to Hawaii so my husband purchased two white color Samsonite suitcases in July 2018. I am very upset that just in my first travel from Sydney, Australia to Hilo, Hawaii, USA my large suitcase (787931908 ME 7221 1125, 172*05013 Spinner 81/32 White, barcode **, OCTOLITE) was broken from the backside where the connectors are located. I emailed two times to claim the warranty and request a repair but no reply at all. I am very very upset. It's a waste of money. I would not recommend buying suitcases from Samsonite just because of their poor customer care.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

In Feb 2018, I purchased a laptop rucksack from the Samsonite store in Westfield West London. I am based overseas and only in the U.K. every 6-9 months. Having paid £235 for the bag, the zips on two of the main compartments began to deteriorate very quickly and within 7 months were falling apart and was unuseable.

On my next visit to London I returned the bag to the same Samsonite store in Westfield and presented the receipts. I was told that Samsonite policy was to keep the bag, send it away for a few weeks to check what the problem was and perhaps to repair it. I am a practicing lawyer and pointed out that (1) statutory consumer rights required retailers to immediately refund or replace items that were defective and/or were not fit purpose (in terms of surviving reasonable wear and tear). (2) That I was leaving the U.K. the next day and would not return until Autumn 2019. Samsonite continued to assert that they would follow their own policies (irrespective of the fact that these policies are not consistent with consumer rights law, let alone best practice in terms of customer services).

I was told that my only option was to call Samsonite customer services ‭on +44 208 561 4043, and Thandi ** agreed, I could have a replacement bag. This number went to voicemail saying there is no one available on this line (I rang at 2.30 pm). I was ultimately forced to leave the bag with Samsonite and went to another luggage shop to purchase from John Lewis a more reliable with what they refer to as their “No quibble returns policy”. I eventually got through the store manager of the Samsonite flagship store in Tottenham Court Rd, (Jamie) who was surprised and tried assist. However Jamie came back to say that he had spoke to the Westfield store and his area manager who had “checked consumer law” and felt it was ok not to replace defective products.

In short the management practice at Samsonite is deny consumers their basic statutory rights and instead to replace the rights granted by the British Parliament to protect consumers (Sale of Goods Act, and Sale of Goods and services legislation amongst others), with internal policies which in effect to make a complete mockery of the retailers obligations to replace products which are defective and/or which lack merchantable quality.

Samsonite are potentially exposed to significant legal liabilities, and their customer services arrangements when things go wrong are appalling, wholly unprofessional and a complete abuse of consumer rights. Based on this experience we are not buying anymore Samsonite products and are strongly recommending that consumers familiarise themselves with Samsonite's poor practices when thugs go around. Particularly given the additional financial premium that we as consumers pay for Samsonite products. I have since discovered that these practices are a frequent occurrence and based on the sheer number of negative consumer reviews on Samsonite products and services. (Don’t take my word for it, so your own Google search).

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I bought a "LP Backpack IV" Black that the seams got broken after a couple months only... But I could bring it back to the shop after almost 1 year (end October 2018) as I couldn't find the warranty certificate earlier. First I had no courtesy bag whereas I told them that I am a pilot who really needs an extra bag as my pilot case is not enough because of the normal layovers and in case of layovers due to diversion. Second when they received it back from the repair on November 13th 2018 they just tried to call me that day. As they couldn't reach me they just gave up calling me on the next days.

Fed up to have no news from them. I went to check by myself today (December 03rd 2018). What a surprise to see that I could get my bag earlier (on November 14th... almost 3 weeks ago). It's the second time I'm disappointed with Samsonite. The first time with a Pilot case I bought in Las Vegas in 2013 that I had to repair myself after a couple months as in France they refused to fix it as they were not selling the same model. I will try to bite my tongue next time I say "Let's have a look at Samsonite Shop... Maybe they improved their products and service!!!"

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I purchased a 20-inch carry on Samsonite spinner. I used it 3 times, twice as a carry on an airplane and once on a car trip. My last trip the wheel came apart for the suitcase. I thought no problem they will replace. Wow was I surprised, I took it to one of their "registered repair centers" and they refused to replace or fix as they said it was my fault that the wheel came apart. Are you serious - the lady at the store where I took it looked at it and said for sure, "they will get you a new one." I owned the suitcase for 2 1/2 months and used it 3 times, I would think the quality of the product could withstand 3 trips. I am so disappointed and pretty much in disbelief.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

About six months ago, we purchased two Lite Shock Spinners (28"). On our first trip, the handle broke on one suitcase and the surface of both suitcases looked like they were 10 years old. The ad shows a truck running over the suitcase so we believed that the shell was sturdy, but that is not the case. In addition, the zipper system is very difficult to use and the wheels do not move easily through an airport. We are seasoned travelers and have never been more disappointed in a piece of luggage. We would never recommend to others and will need to purchase new luggage in the near future.

Resolution response: Oct. 27, 2018

I recently returned from a trip and discovered that my 2018 Neopulse 30 case had a crack. Both the dealer (Bentley) and the service center (Evex) rejected the possibility of a claim without even seeing the case, adding that polycarbonate cannot be repaired. I was steamed and wrote a negative review. I have since managed to contact Samsonite Canada, who agreed that my specific damage was unusual and they are sending me a new case. I am as impressed with Samsonite Canada's response as I am UNimpressed with both Bentley and Evex. I do hope that my negative review has by now been removed.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I purchased a 30 inch Neopulse Spinner in January 2018. I purchased the Neopulse because the dealer said that the polycarbonate shell was very tough. The second time I used it, the case developed a crack. I called the dealer and the service center and was advised by both that cracks are not under warranty AND that the shell cannot be repaired. Samsonite makes a product that cannot be repaired and that cracks easily. So, with Samsonite, ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

They charged me different price and that’s much higher than what I saw before I placed the order. I called the customer service. Said I have the screenshot about the price what I like to ordered it. But nothing help so I ask for return, guess what they said? I have to pay for my return shipping fee to return the big case! Won’t buy their products anymore!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I bought a Samsonite leather seat covers universal fit. The front seats worked but the bench seats totally were poorly made. The strings to tie were easily ripped when just a little pull. I called Samsonite customer service. They did NOT care and gave NO RESPONSE OTHER THAN THEY WILL GET BACK TO ME. Well they never did.

Original review: July 30, 2018

If you are considering purchasing a suitcase from this company I urge you to reconsider. I have been in contact with 2 separate customer service representatives for seven months over a faulty suitcase. I have over 30 emails, mostly sent by me, as the replies dry up after they realize I should get a replacement as per my warranty. I am so frustrated and dissatisfied by the non-help I have received. I thought Samsonite was an investment, and it was worth the price for a durable suitcase. It is not.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I have purchased 7 Samsonite bags in the past couple of years. The main reason was because a no name bag I owned was broken by the airline. In talking with the sales guy, he assured me of the superior quality and warranty that you pay for with a higher priced piece of luggage from them. 3 bags went at once, all olive and garment bags. Wheels, handles, and stitching. After holding my bags for a month, not only are they not taking care of them, there aren’t even parts for them. So they want me to PAY to get the broken bags back, or they will destroy them. They don’t care. Don’t waste your money, if they’re going to break in a year or two anyway, you should just buy cheaper luggage that lasts as long.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Because of problems with Samsonite's checkout pages, there were errors on my shipping address when ordering two suitcases. When I immediately called Samsonite customer service upon receiving the order confirmation with incorrect address, they told me there was absolutely nothing they could do to correct the address and I would have to wait for UPS to return the suitcases to Samsonite and then wait a further 21 days for Samsonite to process a refund. They refused to take any responsibility. I decided to try calling UPS myself and UPS said they actually could correct the address.

In the end, for some reason only one suitcase was delivered to my home and the other was returned to Samsonite. When I called Samsonite to request they resend the second suitcase to my home, they refused to do so, told me I would have to wait 21 days for a refund but was free to place a new order for the suitcase on their website. They also refused to honour the price I had originally paid or help in any other way to address this terrible customer experience. I should note that this is the second time this year I placed an order on their website. The first time they were having system errors and my order was delayed by more than two weeks and their customer service centre was not able to assist after multiple calls in that instance either. I should have known better than to try again. AVOID THIS MERCHANT.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I purchased a trolley bag for my daughter on her birthday as the salesman told me that this was light and toughest material back with replacement warranty. On her first visit by air she received back a damaged bag. On presenting to the company showroom the salesman promised of replacement. No reply came for long and then refused to take any action. My mail to customer care have not been replied. I feel sad and cheated.

Original review: May 26, 2018

WARNING! DO NOT PURCHASE FROM SAMSONITE ONLINE! Recently I purchased a piece of luggage from the online Samsonite direct to consumer retailer. The bag is too big to use for my weekly business travel. I attempted to return the bag for a refund. The bag cost me $82 with tax. The bag was shipped to me for $11.99. To return ship the bag I was quoted at $59 at the least expensive option via USPS and also checked other carriers. I contacted Samsonite to make them aware that it is going to cost 72% of the bag to return it, and they made no effort to offer a label I could pay for or any other option, although if you have a warranty claim for an existing bag and take it to a store to be shipped in to be fixed or only costs $10. They will not allow me to return it to a brick and mortar store. They will not allow me to exchange it.

The last carry on piece of luggage I ordered from Samsonite was smaller in dimensions than described on the site. This bag was not and is not usable for the purpose I need it. How is it legal that I am basically stuck with this bag with no exchange, or reasonable refund option and how does it cost me as the consumer 5x more than the retailer to return ship an item? I have not had multiple terrible customer service experiences with Samsonite in regards to both new purchases and warranty repair. This is an absolute scam. Purchase any other brand from anywhere else and save yourself from dealing with an atrocious company. Their luggage breaks just as much as any other brand.

Original review: May 3, 2018

My beloved carry-on had a small tear in zipper, missing teeth and had lost a pull. It has been around the world. I took to the Samsonite outlet near me and they mailed it in. Cost for shipping $10 each way. In just under a week I had it back! They mailed it to my home. I received emails stating that they had received it and the problems they found (I didn't tell them about teeth or pulls). Zipper replaced and new pulls. Then email stating it was being shipped back. I am very happy!!!! I thought I was going to have to replace!

Original review: May 2, 2018

The order center 2 times put my order as a mess. I had to cancel my order. Still waiting for my refund of 408$ weeks!! Many telephone call still not get my money back. Much longer the company policy for refund. Samsonite don’t send any update via email about the order shipping and refund. They saying they don’t have way to send emails. Very disappointed from their service and still waiting to my money back (Order that place in February).

Original review: April 27, 2018

In November 2016 I purchased a Samsonite Spinner travel bag. On my third holiday, one of the back wheels became worn down and stopped working properly due to the overpacking/heaviness of my bag (yes this was my fault). I had hauled the heavy bag over mile after mile of cobblestones. As the wear and tear was undoubtedly my fault, I spent some time online trying to find somewhere to buy a replacement wheel (the whole wheel mechanism) so that I didn't have to buy a new bag.

In the end, I emailed Samsonite customer service and asked if they could direct me to a place that I could purchase that particular part. Within hours I had a reply from Samsonite customer service enquiring as to which wheel fitting it was (with a diagram, so I identified it correctly). They then said they would send me a replacement free of charge. Soon after, I had a confirmation email saying my replacement was in the post and to expect it to be delivered within days. This was all on a 'no questions asked' basis. Fantastic customer service and as a result - one very happy Samsonite customer! Great stuff.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Samsonite has a good luggage. But don’t buy from Samsonite website. They have a really bad system from placing order through the delivery, return and customer support. Buy their luggage from Bergman Luggage or Macy’s. And your life will be easier. When the order didn’t go through, there wouldn’t be any email informing you. The customer support was not helpful, I mean they are very nice and helpful but they only said they couldn’t do anything according to the system. And also you have to pay for the return shipping and it going to be very pricey!!! if you really love the brand you will want to buy them from Macy’s for free shipping and return!!! And the service. #trust me.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

On 11/20/09 we purchased a Samsonite set of luggage at Penney's. According to all the tags it had a 10 year warranty. Last year we had a problem with one of the wheels on one of the rolling suitcases. We were told to take it to a local approved repair store, which we did at the Samsonite store at The Premium Outlets in Lutz, Florida. We wanted to get it repaired either under warranty or pay for a new wheel. They said they had to ship it directly to a Samsonite factory, but that it was under warranty and they would repair it and send it back at no cost to us.

We were called by Samsonite and told it was not under warranty and they were shipping back our suitcase. We offered to pay for the repair, but were told they did not have the part. We still technically have a warranty until 11/20/19, when the 10 year warranty ends, but have no usable luggage. This is an example of misleading advertising and very poor service. The luggage was shipped back in a very "flimsy" box that was torn when it arrived, adding insult to injury. We will not purchase any more Samsonite products.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Samsonite makes good luggage, but if you order something online and decide you want to return it -- beware that you can't take it to a Samsonite store but have to ship it back at your own expense -- and the RETURN SHIPPING COST CAN BE AS MUCH AS THE COST OF THE LUGGAGE. I ordered two suitcases on a good sale as a Christmas gift, ended up needing to return it -- the cost of return shipping was $100 for the $120 piece of luggage, and $62 for the $84 piece of luggage. I know that Samsonite is aware of this issue (having spoken to them on the phone), and it feels a bit underhanded that they give you a "no problem to return" spiel, all the while knowing that shipping costs are so prohibitive that customers will not return the items they purchase.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I got my set way back in 1978 as a gift and I have been using it ever since. The cases show some age, but they are still in great shape and I have not had any reason to think about replacing it. I could not ask for a better set. My travel bag only has a outside pocket though and I would like to have more inside pockets for bottles and whatnots. But the zippers still work.

Samsonite expert review by Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.

Samsonite is an American luggage manufacturer and retailer headquartered in Luxembourg. Founded in 1910, it offers luggage, backpacks, duffels, furniture and accessories.

• Products: Samsonite offers many types of luggage including hard- and softside, spinner luggage, glider cases, carry-on and checked luggage, sets, bags, totes, duffels and garment bags.

• Innovative details: Samsonite luggage features details like corner guards to protect the sides of your suitcase, three-dial combination locks, glider wheels, adjustable handles and more.

• Quality tested: All Samsonite products are quality tested. Technicians fully pack the luggage before testing it in an environment that mimics traveling conditions to determine that it meets the company’s standards for durability and strength.

• Limited warranty: Samsonite warranties its products against manufacturing defects in material or workmanship. They will replace or fix any products during the warranty period, which ranges from three years to a lifetime depending on the product.

• Retailers: Samsonite luggage is sold at many authorized retailers such as JC Penney, Sears, Kohls, Macy’s and Belk. It’s also available at Samsonite stores and the company’s website.

• Best for: travelers who need a variety of luggage sizes.

Profile picture of Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.
Rosemary Avance, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rosemary Avance, Ph.D., uses her social science research background as a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team to help people make smart choices. She researches products, businesses and industries thoroughly, then passes on the most relevant and essential information for consumers looking to make important purchasing decisions.

Samsonite Company Information