2.21/5

48 Samsonite Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 5, 2019

Purchased suit carrier online for a business trip. Paid $40 for priority shipping to get it the day before the trip (delivery option specified the date it would arrive). The item arrived late. Customer service was terrible: told me they were not responsible because it can take two days to “process an order”. I’m not sure why they mislead people by giving a false delivery date. I would advise not to buy from their website.

Original review: May 23, 2019

Samsonite sends coupons codes that do not work on their own products. Received 50 dollars coupon code and none the products work for the coupon. Why would this company waste my time with sending me emails that doesn’t work for their products?

Get expert buying tips about Luggage delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I purchased my Samsonite luggage 8 years ago. Shortly after owning, I noticed one of the inside zippers was broken. Avoiding what I thought would be a hassle, I didn't bother trying to repair it. Recently, the external zipper broke, rendering my bag too risky to protect my belongings. I bit the hassle bullet and initiated the repair process online. I took the bag in to a Samsonite store, paid the $15 shipping fee, and got an email where I could track the status of my bag. It looked like it was received and returned the same day so I expected that when I received my bag, there would be a note inside explaining why the repair wasn't covered and to remind me of the offer made while I was at the Samsonite store-to exchange my bag for a deep discount on a new bag. Upon inspection, the zippers had both been repaired to like-new condition. I am beyond thrilled. The outside of my bag still reflects travel personality (you may call it wear and tear) but my bag is fully functional once again. Thanks Samsonite!

Original review: May 3, 2019

Like a lot of people we bought a Samsonite because of the 10 year warranty. We bought two identical carry on bags (same day) a few years ago. A couple of weeks ago the pull handle from bag 1 broke. We brought it back the the store where we bought both bags. Paid $10 for return shipping and they sent it off to the repair shop. A few days after, I received a phone call from the repair shop, that our pull handle is not covered because it broke and didn't detached? We got offered a 60% rebate on a new bag. Two weeks later my husband send a picture from bag no. 2. Same issue, the pull handle broke. I researched and found out, that this is a common problem and happen to a lot people. Bottom line: We will never ever spend again money for a Samsonite (you shouldn't either) and replace our useless carry on bags with 2 solid Briggs and Riley bags. They are sturdy and so worth the money.

Original review: April 24, 2019

Absolutely shocking service! I bought this suitcase online for £155, after one use the end ripped. I dealt with the customer service team that said if I wanted to send it in for 'inspection' they would decide whether it was faulty or wear and tear. They wouldn't collect the suitcase unless I wanted to pay a courier charge. As I didn't want to pay the expensive courier charge I sent it into the store in Westfield! Bearing in mind it still costs to park in Westfield (£10 each visit). After sending the suitcase away for inspection from the store and waiting a few weeks I was contacted saying they wouldn't fix or refund the suitcase and blamed it on personal use (even though it was used once).

To add rub salt in the wounds, it came back with even more damage, scratches up the side of the suitcase and the other edge looks like it's going to rip if used again. The plastic is wrapped too tightly for the material to stay on and the end of the suitcase drags along the floor when using, hence the damage. The fault lies with a poorly made suitcase. Really disappointing considering the price tag! I would AVOID buying suitcases from here. I've received no satisfaction and terrible customer service throughout. I normally don't leave reviews but wanted to write it here so others don't end up in the same situation as me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Samsonite?

Original review: March 27, 2019

Don't be fooled by their 10 year warranty! It only covers wheels, zippers and handles. The frame broke on me after just 4 years and they won't cover it. Of course they will gladly let you trade it in. What a bunch of bull. Don't buy it just for the warranty like I did. They misrepresent what it covers when you buy it.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I purchased and paid for 2 pieces of luggage - when 1 arrived not as described on website - I requested to return it to be told I had to pay for the return. - After much aggravation they agreed to pay to return 1 piece but not the 2nd even though I bought them as a matching set. I followed their instructions to purchase insurance and return it via USPS. - I am waiting now 3 weeks for Samsonite warehouse to accept the delivery. - They were left a few messages and refuse to pick up the luggage at USPS. - “They don’t do that”. Well I am the customer and they aren’t helping me - at all! I feel they should communicate with their post office and have delivery during their business hours!

Original review: March 13, 2019

Although the Samsonite luggage itself has been adequate until recently, the company's warranty and customer service are nothing to be pleased about. I purchased my 2 pieces of Samsonite luggage in 2010, which came with limited 10-year warranty. I did very little traveling until 2015, so the bags didn't receive much use until then.

On my last trip, while I was placing my suitcase in the trunk of my car, the carry handle rivet broke on one end. It is important to note that airlines' strict weight guidelines and my lack of interest in paying extra for overweight luggage keep me very astute with the weight of my luggage. This bag was at least 1 pound under 50, which is not an excessive weight or expectation for a large hard-shell suitcase.

Upon returning home I located Samsonite's repair centers (the closest of which for me was a 1.5 hour drive). When I arrived, the employees not only refused to acknowledge the warranty receipts I brought (with a year of eligibility remaining), they also told me that I should have claimed the damages via an airline. The damages occurred via regular use by me with no airport involved, which I told them, so this suggestion seemed absurd.

With a disappointing customer service experience and no solution to the damaged bag, I returned home and contacted Samsonite Customer Support via telephone. The woman I spoke with told me that their service centers are contracted out, not direct Samsonite employees. She also told told me that they are trained to use their discretion on the viability of warranty claims and that Samsonite supports their decisions to approve/decline warranty. Warranty does not cover airport damage, improper use or excessive weight loads (none of which pertained to my situation). She went on to say that their system shows no parts available for my particular luggage line, so there isn't anything more that Samsonite will do. She repeated herself and these statements with robot-like interest.

When the call ended I contacted the manager of the repair outlet and recounted my experience with her employees. She said that she would honor the repair in exchange for the disappointing customer service experience, but that in general what happened to the handle of my bag was not covered. Ultimately, Samsonite's limited 10-year warranty seems to be limited indeed, and subject to debate. I'm curious what IS covered by the warranty if it excludes everything it states as well as typical lifting and carrying in and out of vehicles while the luggage weight is adequate. A product benefit that becomes a hindrance shouldn't be listed as a benefit.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Recently I bought a Samsonite backpack. I contacted the customer care department which was absolutely not helpful. After sending my complaints inclusive some pictures, Samsonite replied with: 'Between the wheels it is clear to see that the suitcase has been dragged over the ground'. After reviewing my own pictures, still I could not agree with this reply. My advice to all: do not buy a Samsonite backpack. I have used the wheels of the backpack only indoors, something for which these have been applied. I am 100% sure that I have tried to handle this product carefully and neatly. Apparently it is a product that you only may look at it. Especially do not use it. Very poor product. It's better to spend your money to a much cheaper product. When it breaks, you have to replace it, like I do now.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

Recently bought suitcase. Under year old product got damaged. Contacted to customer care department. Woman on the phone was not helpful. Very argumentative. Very poor product. Not worth that money you spend and when it's faulty company not helpful. Not recommend anyone.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Like other reviews, I have contacted Samsonite Customer Service to get a refund. I ordered the women's convertible briefcase in Bordeaux - and it arrived quickly - but was black. I called customer service and was instructed to take a picture of the item and email it with the order number to confirm that the wrong one was sent - and Samsonite would send me a return label. I did that on 12/27/18 - and nothing. I called on 1/3 - was told an email with the label would be sent; nothing. Called again on 1/15 - same story only this time I was told to call back on 1/18 if I did not receive the label. I did that - was getting the same story - so asked for a supervisor. I received the label that day.

I sent the item off the next day - it was received at the warehouse on 01/28/18 at 12:38 pm. I called on 02/08/19 and was told the refund would take 14 business days after the warehouse received it - so 02/14/18. I called today, 02/19/19 - and asked for a supervisor - who told me that there is nothing she could do - that the warehouse must issue the refund. She said she would submit an inquiry and put a note in my account. I asked when I should call back - and she said - "My hope is you won't have to." My response was that since it took 4 calls with elevation to a supervisor to get a label - and now had taken 3 calls with elevation to a supervisor - I wasn't hopeful. She final said it should be resolved by early next week. When I asked who else I could call - she said there is no one. I am frustrated and can't understand how this company stays in business. I will NEVER buy another Samsonite product.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I purchased a suitcase online in December for an upcoming vacation. I have heard Samsonite has decent luggage. Upon receiving my package, the suitcase wasn’t exactly what I was looking for. I sent it back at the beginning of January. I expected a friendly and speedy return process. Needless to say it’s the middle of February and I keep getting the runaround from Samsonite’s customer service. While friendly, their customer service has no authority over issuing refunds and can only communicated to the department who handles refunds via e-mail.

The department has been e-mailed 3 times. I’ve been told I would get an e-mail each time from them stating my refund is being worked on. Each deadline that was given to me has expired. Needless to say I still don’t have my refund and I was given another deadline. This experience has been frustrating and timing consuming that I will not be purchasing a Samsonite product again! I don’t like to be negative, however I am displeased Samsonite doesn’t prioritize their customers' needs in a timely manner. Not worth the hassle.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I returned an item which arrived to their warehouse 1/3/19 (per my tracking receipt) and I still do not have my refund. Every time I call (many calls made) I am told it will be posted to my account in "7-10 business days", "24-48 hours", "customer advocate is taking care of it", yet here I am still with no refund. I advised the customer service rep I will be pursuing further (legal) action if I do not have the refund this week. I will NEVER order again from this company.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Regarding my return that was received by Samsonite on 12/24/18. To date, which is 2/4/19, I still have not seen the credit to my credit card. I have reached out 3x via customer chat and 2x via email to check on status. The Samsonite chat agents and email reply ability to resolve issues are below par and unfriendly. The company is quick to charge a customer's credit card and slow to refund. It's distasteful that a company as strong standing as Samsonite cannot refund an order one month after receiving a return.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I bought a luggage for 600 dollars, it is with a 10 years warranty and the luggage is falling apart and they dont even pay for the repairs. I just paid 135 dollars more to fix the piece and they dont take any responsibility over their product. Very cheap company.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I spent over $300 for mid-sized piece of luggage in late 2017, four wheel rolling type with latches. On the first trip, one wheel broke off in the airplane's luggage compartment, turned out to have cheap plastic axles that obviously could not absorb much force. I managed on three wheels for the next 9 months, now the other wheel was also broken off in the airplane's luggage compartment. I paid a significant amount for this product, counted on the brand being meaningful. Very disappointed in trusting Samsonite to engineer a reliable and durable product.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I purchased a backpack from Samsonite.com as a Christmas gift on Dec. 18, got the package 2 days later but they sent the wrong item. Called them and let them know of their mistake, they asked me to send pictures of the wrong item and I had to place a different order to get the right item. They got the email with the pictures on the 21st and sent me a response stating that it would take 7-10 days for them to review the case. It is January 3rd and I still haven't gotten the return label for me to return the item and get my money back.

Contact them again today (Jan. 3rd) and was told that it would still be 5 more working days for them to review the case since the company was closed Dec. 24th, 25th, 31st and January 1st. I am not going to be seeing my money back until at least two more weeks!!! I am paying for THEIR mistake, couldn't give the gift in time because of them and they will be holding my money for over a month. VERY DISAPPOINTING.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I was traveling to Hawaii so my husband purchased two white color Samsonite suitcases in July 2018. I am very upset that just in my first travel from Sydney, Australia to Hilo, Hawaii, USA my large suitcase (787931908 ME 7221 1125, 172*05013 Spinner 81/32 White, barcode **, OCTOLITE) was broken from the backside where the connectors are located. I emailed two times to claim the warranty and request a repair but no reply at all. I am very very upset. It's a waste of money. I would not recommend buying suitcases from Samsonite just because of their poor customer care.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

In Feb 2018, I purchased a laptop rucksack from the Samsonite store in Westfield West London. I am based overseas and only in the U.K. every 6-9 months. Having paid £235 for the bag, the zips on two of the main compartments began to deteriorate very quickly and within 7 months were falling apart and was unuseable.

On my next visit to London I returned the bag to the same Samsonite store in Westfield and presented the receipts. I was told that Samsonite policy was to keep the bag, send it away for a few weeks to check what the problem was and perhaps to repair it. I am a practicing lawyer and pointed out that (1) statutory consumer rights required retailers to immediately refund or replace items that were defective and/or were not fit purpose (in terms of surviving reasonable wear and tear). (2) That I was leaving the U.K. the next day and would not return until Autumn 2019. Samsonite continued to assert that they would follow their own policies (irrespective of the fact that these policies are not consistent with consumer rights law, let alone best practice in terms of customer services).

I was told that my only option was to call Samsonite customer services ‭on +44 208 561 4043, and Thandi ** agreed, I could have a replacement bag. This number went to voicemail saying there is no one available on this line (I rang at 2.30 pm). I was ultimately forced to leave the bag with Samsonite and went to another luggage shop to purchase from John Lewis a more reliable with what they refer to as their “No quibble returns policy”. I eventually got through the store manager of the Samsonite flagship store in Tottenham Court Rd, (Jamie) who was surprised and tried assist. However Jamie came back to say that he had spoke to the Westfield store and his area manager who had “checked consumer law” and felt it was ok not to replace defective products.

In short the management practice at Samsonite is deny consumers their basic statutory rights and instead to replace the rights granted by the British Parliament to protect consumers (Sale of Goods Act, and Sale of Goods and services legislation amongst others), with internal policies which in effect to make a complete mockery of the retailers obligations to replace products which are defective and/or which lack merchantable quality.

Samsonite are potentially exposed to significant legal liabilities, and their customer services arrangements when things go wrong are appalling, wholly unprofessional and a complete abuse of consumer rights. Based on this experience we are not buying anymore Samsonite products and are strongly recommending that consumers familiarise themselves with Samsonite's poor practices when thugs go around. Particularly given the additional financial premium that we as consumers pay for Samsonite products. I have since discovered that these practices are a frequent occurrence and based on the sheer number of negative consumer reviews on Samsonite products and services. (Don’t take my word for it, so your own Google search).

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I bought a "LP Backpack IV" Black that the seams got broken after a couple months only... But I could bring it back to the shop after almost 1 year (end October 2018) as I couldn't find the warranty certificate earlier. First I had no courtesy bag whereas I told them that I am a pilot who really needs an extra bag as my pilot case is not enough because of the normal layovers and in case of layovers due to diversion. Second when they received it back from the repair on November 13th 2018 they just tried to call me that day. As they couldn't reach me they just gave up calling me on the next days.

Fed up to have no news from them. I went to check by myself today (December 03rd 2018). What a surprise to see that I could get my bag earlier (on November 14th... almost 3 weeks ago). It's the second time I'm disappointed with Samsonite. The first time with a Pilot case I bought in Las Vegas in 2013 that I had to repair myself after a couple months as in France they refused to fix it as they were not selling the same model. I will try to bite my tongue next time I say "Let's have a look at Samsonite Shop... Maybe they improved their products and service!!!"

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I purchased a 20-inch carry on Samsonite spinner. I used it 3 times, twice as a carry on an airplane and once on a car trip. My last trip the wheel came apart for the suitcase. I thought no problem they will replace. Wow was I surprised, I took it to one of their "registered repair centers" and they refused to replace or fix as they said it was my fault that the wheel came apart. Are you serious - the lady at the store where I took it looked at it and said for sure, "they will get you a new one." I owned the suitcase for 2 1/2 months and used it 3 times, I would think the quality of the product could withstand 3 trips. I am so disappointed and pretty much in disbelief.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

About six months ago, we purchased two Lite Shock Spinners (28"). On our first trip, the handle broke on one suitcase and the surface of both suitcases looked like they were 10 years old. The ad shows a truck running over the suitcase so we believed that the shell was sturdy, but that is not the case. In addition, the zipper system is very difficult to use and the wheels do not move easily through an airport. We are seasoned travelers and have never been more disappointed in a piece of luggage. We would never recommend to others and will need to purchase new luggage in the near future.

Resolution response: Oct. 27, 2018

I recently returned from a trip and discovered that my 2018 Neopulse 30 case had a crack. Both the dealer (Bentley) and the service center (Evex) rejected the possibility of a claim without even seeing the case, adding that polycarbonate cannot be repaired. I was steamed and wrote a negative review. I have since managed to contact Samsonite Canada, who agreed that my specific damage was unusual and they are sending me a new case. I am as impressed with Samsonite Canada's response as I am UNimpressed with both Bentley and Evex. I do hope that my negative review has by now been removed.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I purchased a 30 inch Neopulse Spinner in January 2018. I purchased the Neopulse because the dealer said that the polycarbonate shell was very tough. The second time I used it, the case developed a crack. I called the dealer and the service center and was advised by both that cracks are not under warranty AND that the shell cannot be repaired. Samsonite makes a product that cannot be repaired and that cracks easily. So, with Samsonite, ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

They charged me different price and that’s much higher than what I saw before I placed the order. I called the customer service. Said I have the screenshot about the price what I like to ordered it. But nothing help so I ask for return, guess what they said? I have to pay for my return shipping fee to return the big case! Won’t buy their products anymore!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I bought a Samsonite leather seat covers universal fit. The front seats worked but the bench seats totally were poorly made. The strings to tie were easily ripped when just a little pull. I called Samsonite customer service. They did NOT care and gave NO RESPONSE OTHER THAN THEY WILL GET BACK TO ME. Well they never did.

Original review: July 30, 2018

If you are considering purchasing a suitcase from this company I urge you to reconsider. I have been in contact with 2 separate customer service representatives for seven months over a faulty suitcase. I have over 30 emails, mostly sent by me, as the replies dry up after they realize I should get a replacement as per my warranty. I am so frustrated and dissatisfied by the non-help I have received. I thought Samsonite was an investment, and it was worth the price for a durable suitcase. It is not.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I have purchased 7 Samsonite bags in the past couple of years. The main reason was because a no name bag I owned was broken by the airline. In talking with the sales guy, he assured me of the superior quality and warranty that you pay for with a higher priced piece of luggage from them. 3 bags went at once, all olive and garment bags. Wheels, handles, and stitching. After holding my bags for a month, not only are they not taking care of them, there aren’t even parts for them. So they want me to PAY to get the broken bags back, or they will destroy them. They don’t care. Don’t waste your money, if they’re going to break in a year or two anyway, you should just buy cheaper luggage that lasts as long.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Because of problems with Samsonite's checkout pages, there were errors on my shipping address when ordering two suitcases. When I immediately called Samsonite customer service upon receiving the order confirmation with incorrect address, they told me there was absolutely nothing they could do to correct the address and I would have to wait for UPS to return the suitcases to Samsonite and then wait a further 21 days for Samsonite to process a refund. They refused to take any responsibility. I decided to try calling UPS myself and UPS said they actually could correct the address.

In the end, for some reason only one suitcase was delivered to my home and the other was returned to Samsonite. When I called Samsonite to request they resend the second suitcase to my home, they refused to do so, told me I would have to wait 21 days for a refund but was free to place a new order for the suitcase on their website. They also refused to honour the price I had originally paid or help in any other way to address this terrible customer experience. I should note that this is the second time this year I placed an order on their website. The first time they were having system errors and my order was delayed by more than two weeks and their customer service centre was not able to assist after multiple calls in that instance either. I should have known better than to try again. AVOID THIS MERCHANT.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I purchased a trolley bag for my daughter on her birthday as the salesman told me that this was light and toughest material back with replacement warranty. On her first visit by air she received back a damaged bag. On presenting to the company showroom the salesman promised of replacement. No reply came for long and then refused to take any action. My mail to customer care have not been replied. I feel sad and cheated.

Original review: May 26, 2018

WARNING! DO NOT PURCHASE FROM SAMSONITE ONLINE! Recently I purchased a piece of luggage from the online Samsonite direct to consumer retailer. The bag is too big to use for my weekly business travel. I attempted to return the bag for a refund. The bag cost me $82 with tax. The bag was shipped to me for $11.99. To return ship the bag I was quoted at $59 at the least expensive option via USPS and also checked other carriers. I contacted Samsonite to make them aware that it is going to cost 72% of the bag to return it, and they made no effort to offer a label I could pay for or any other option, although if you have a warranty claim for an existing bag and take it to a store to be shipped in to be fixed or only costs $10. They will not allow me to return it to a brick and mortar store. They will not allow me to exchange it.

The last carry on piece of luggage I ordered from Samsonite was smaller in dimensions than described on the site. This bag was not and is not usable for the purpose I need it. How is it legal that I am basically stuck with this bag with no exchange, or reasonable refund option and how does it cost me as the consumer 5x more than the retailer to return ship an item? I have not had multiple terrible customer service experiences with Samsonite in regards to both new purchases and warranty repair. This is an absolute scam. Purchase any other brand from anywhere else and save yourself from dealing with an atrocious company. Their luggage breaks just as much as any other brand.

Samsonite expert review by Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.

Samsonite is an American luggage manufacturer and retailer headquartered in Luxembourg. Founded in 1910, it offers luggage, backpacks, duffels, furniture and accessories.

• Products: Samsonite offers many types of luggage including hard- and softside, spinner luggage, glider cases, carry-on and checked luggage, sets, bags, totes, duffels and garment bags.

• Innovative details: Samsonite luggage features details like corner guards to protect the sides of your suitcase, three-dial combination locks, glider wheels, adjustable handles and more.

• Quality tested: All Samsonite products are quality tested. Technicians fully pack the luggage before testing it in an environment that mimics traveling conditions to determine that it meets the company’s standards for durability and strength.

• Limited warranty: Samsonite warranties its products against manufacturing defects in material or workmanship. They will replace or fix any products during the warranty period, which ranges from three years to a lifetime depending on the product.

• Retailers: Samsonite luggage is sold at many authorized retailers such as JC Penney, Sears, Kohls, Macy’s and Belk. It’s also available at Samsonite stores and the company’s website.

• Best for: travelers who need a variety of luggage sizes.

Profile picture of Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.
Rosemary Avance, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rosemary Avance, Ph.D., uses her social science research background as a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team to help people make smart choices. She researches products, businesses and industries thoroughly, then passes on the most relevant and essential information for consumers looking to make important purchasing decisions.

Samsonite Company Information