3.38/5
Based on 21 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

21 Samsonite Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 15, 2018

Because of problems with Samsonite's checkout pages, there were errors on my shipping address when ordering two suitcases. When I immediately called Samsonite customer service upon receiving the order confirmation with incorrect address, they told me there was absolutely nothing they could do to correct the address and I would have to wait for UPS to return the suitcases to Samsonite and then wait a further 21 days for Samsonite to process a refund. They refused to take any responsibility. I decided to try calling UPS myself and UPS said they actually could correct the address.

In the end, for some reason only one suitcase was delivered to my home and the other was returned to Samsonite. When I called Samsonite to request they resend the second suitcase to my home, they refused to do so, told me I would have to wait 21 days for a refund but was free to place a new order for the suitcase on their website. They also refused to honour the price I had originally paid or help in any other way to address this terrible customer experience. I should note that this is the second time this year I placed an order on their website. The first time they were having system errors and my order was delayed by more than two weeks and their customer service centre was not able to assist after multiple calls in that instance either. I should have known better than to try again. AVOID THIS MERCHANT.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I purchased a trolley bag for my daughter on her birthday as the salesman told me that this was light and toughest material back with replacement warranty. On her first visit by air she received back a damaged bag. On presenting to the company showroom the salesman promised of replacement. No reply came for long and then refused to take any action. My mail to customer care have not been replied. I feel sad and cheated.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: May 26, 2018

WARNING! DO NOT PURCHASE FROM SAMSONITE ONLINE! Recently I purchased a piece of luggage from the online Samsonite direct to consumer retailer. The bag is too big to use for my weekly business travel. I attempted to return the bag for a refund. The bag cost me $82 with tax. The bag was shipped to me for $11.99. To return ship the bag I was quoted at $59 at the least expensive option via USPS and also checked other carriers. I contacted Samsonite to make them aware that it is going to cost 72% of the bag to return it, and they made no effort to offer a label I could pay for or any other option, although if you have a warranty claim for an existing bag and take it to a store to be shipped in to be fixed or only costs $10. They will not allow me to return it to a brick and mortar store. They will not allow me to exchange it.

The last carry on piece of luggage I ordered from Samsonite was smaller in dimensions than described on the site. This bag was not and is not usable for the purpose I need it. How is it legal that I am basically stuck with this bag with no exchange, or reasonable refund option and how does it cost me as the consumer 5x more than the retailer to return ship an item? I have not had multiple terrible customer service experiences with Samsonite in regards to both new purchases and warranty repair. This is an absolute scam. Purchase any other brand from anywhere else and save yourself from dealing with an atrocious company. Their luggage breaks just as much as any other brand.

Original review: May 3, 2018

My beloved carry-on had a small tear in zipper, missing teeth and had lost a pull. It has been around the world. I took to the Samsonite outlet near me and they mailed it in. Cost for shipping $10 each way. In just under a week I had it back! They mailed it to my home. I received emails stating that they had received it and the problems they found (I didn't tell them about teeth or pulls). Zipper replaced and new pulls. Then email stating it was being shipped back. I am very happy!!!! I thought I was going to have to replace!

Original review: May 2, 2018

The order center 2 times put my order as a mess. I had to cancel my order. Still waiting for my refund of 408$ weeks!! Many telephone call still not get my money back. Much longer the company policy for refund. Samsonite don’t send any update via email about the order shipping and refund. They saying they don’t have way to send emails. Very disappointed from their service and still waiting to my money back (Order that place in February).

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Samsonite?

Original review: April 27, 2018

In November 2016 I purchased a Samsonite Spinner travel bag. On my third holiday, one of the back wheels became worn down and stopped working properly due to the overpacking/heaviness of my bag (yes this was my fault). I had hauled the heavy bag over mile after mile of cobblestones. As the wear and tear was undoubtedly my fault, I spent some time online trying to find somewhere to buy a replacement wheel (the whole wheel mechanism) so that I didn't have to buy a new bag.

In the end, I emailed Samsonite customer service and asked if they could direct me to a place that I could purchase that particular part. Within hours I had a reply from Samsonite customer service enquiring as to which wheel fitting it was (with a diagram, so I identified it correctly). They then said they would send me a replacement free of charge. Soon after, I had a confirmation email saying my replacement was in the post and to expect it to be delivered within days. This was all on a 'no questions asked' basis. Fantastic customer service and as a result - one very happy Samsonite customer! Great stuff.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Samsonite has a good luggage. But don’t buy from Samsonite website. They have a really bad system from placing order through the delivery, return and customer support. Buy their luggage from Bergman Luggage or Macy’s. And your life will be easier. When the order didn’t go through, there wouldn’t be any email informing you. The customer support was not helpful, I mean they are very nice and helpful but they only said they couldn’t do anything according to the system. And also you have to pay for the return shipping and it going to be very pricey!!! if you really love the brand you will want to buy them from Macy’s for free shipping and return!!! And the service. #trust me.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

On 11/20/09 we purchased a Samsonite set of luggage at Penney's. According to all the tags it had a 10 year warranty. Last year we had a problem with one of the wheels on one of the rolling suitcases. We were told to take it to a local approved repair store, which we did at the Samsonite store at The Premium Outlets in Lutz, Florida. We wanted to get it repaired either under warranty or pay for a new wheel. They said they had to ship it directly to a Samsonite factory, but that it was under warranty and they would repair it and send it back at no cost to us.

We were called by Samsonite and told it was not under warranty and they were shipping back our suitcase. We offered to pay for the repair, but were told they did not have the part. We still technically have a warranty until 11/20/19, when the 10 year warranty ends, but have no usable luggage. This is an example of misleading advertising and very poor service. The luggage was shipped back in a very "flimsy" box that was torn when it arrived, adding insult to injury. We will not purchase any more Samsonite products.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Samsonite makes good luggage, but if you order something online and decide you want to return it -- beware that you can't take it to a Samsonite store but have to ship it back at your own expense -- and the RETURN SHIPPING COST CAN BE AS MUCH AS THE COST OF THE LUGGAGE. I ordered two suitcases on a good sale as a Christmas gift, ended up needing to return it -- the cost of return shipping was $100 for the $120 piece of luggage, and $62 for the $84 piece of luggage. I know that Samsonite is aware of this issue (having spoken to them on the phone), and it feels a bit underhanded that they give you a "no problem to return" spiel, all the while knowing that shipping costs are so prohibitive that customers will not return the items they purchase.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I got my set way back in 1978 as a gift and I have been using it ever since. The cases show some age, but they are still in great shape and I have not had any reason to think about replacing it. I could not ask for a better set. My travel bag only has a outside pocket though and I would like to have more inside pockets for bottles and whatnots. But the zippers still work.

Original review: July 20, 2017

I like Samsonite because it has lots of extra compartment. I love the color because it goes well with other Samsonite luggage that I own. I like that it has a handle that pulls up. It also has wheels so I dont have to carry it through the airport. I like the handle but I do wish it was a lot longer, so I didnt have to bend over a little. I wish it had better closers on it and had more variety of designs and colors. I wish that it had a lock so I could feel more safe about my items inside. I also wish it had a carrying handle as well, in case I don't want to pull it. And I wish it was not so heavy. This piece had a much better price and it has more pockets and storage space than the others. It’s better because it’s a better quality piece and it's water proof and stain resistant.

Original review: July 15, 2017

Light weight, durable, modern looking, luxurious, durable, sexy looking. These are just some of the words I would use to describe my luggage. Also it’s made of top of the line components. It is pretty much a flawless product that I really can't think of anything that I would approve upon. Great job Samsonite. Overall the brand is far superior to most other luggage. In my opinion, it's compact, stowable and the price is just right for luggage with such awesome quality.

Original review: July 13, 2017

The Samsonite luggage was for a European trip and was a carry-on size with rotating wheels. It has a retractable adjustable handle which makes it easy to move through crowded airports. Although Samsonite usually means good construction, I found the wheels needed to be more substantial, larger in size and not so prone to cracking from travel abuse. The luggage was bought on a promotion but I feel that having bought more expensive luggage in the past, which was ruined by the airlines, the price point on this brand fits my needs.

Original review: July 12, 2017

Purchased the traditional brand because of my prior experience with it. The last set I had was purchased in 1985 and has been around the world. I liked the robustness, the sunken open/close latches because these airport baggage handlers average about an IQ of 50. When it was time to replace, I stuck with my brand. More comfortable handles on all the pieces. The new sheets on the large units seem robust enough but I have not had the piece very long. Only time will tell. The new material Cosmolite seems OK but it feels cheap. Also prices are way too high.

There is not much difference in luggage according but I am not an expert. I looked at many brands online and in the stores and none really stood out in the price range I wanted. I fly first class, but my luggage is treated the same as some loser who pays one-tenth for their ticket. The way these union rat handle your luggage makes it a disposable product unfortunately.

Original review: July 11, 2017

The luggage is stylish and durable. This brand ages well and doesn't need replaced like other sets. The inside has many pockets and straps to keep things neat. Other suitcases I have had have been broken during the handling at airports, I even had one that ripped. Samsonite has never given me a problem. But I would like bright colors to help bags be easier to spot. Most of the cases are dark in color. Other than that I can't imagine anything going.

Original review: July 10, 2017

Has wheels so it's easy to move. It's made many trips easier for me, and I am glad I have it! It has a lot more room in the main compartment and is sturdier than anything I have owned before. It's been all over the place and it some pretty rough conditions, and it has held up so well. It also is streamlined and fits well on airplanes or buses. It would be nice to have a place to store thing like pens, pencils, etc. I would also add more organizational compartments. It only has one or two other compartments, which makes organization difficult.

Original review: July 9, 2017

I prefer Samsonite over other luggage manufacturers because it has always been a durable product. There is a wide choice of sizes and types of pieces that you can purchase. It holds up very well in air travel which is what I usually do. I like the color and the price. I have bought less expensive luggage in the past and it does not travel as well. Samsonite seems to be much more durable than other brands I have used. For the price they are not the most expensive but not the cheapest out there either. It could come in a bigger variety of pattern and color choices.

Original review: July 8, 2017

This suitcase satisfies my needs well. It has good spinner wheels so it is easy to move. The suitcase correct size to fit my needs when I go on longer trips and need to pack both clothing and equipment. It is light weight so I can handle it myself and I can fill it with purchases and still bring it home without extra fees. It is lighter than many, which is a primary issue. The luggage has a distinct color that stands out at the luggage carousel and it is easy to find. However, other companies have made luggage of a similar color as well. Assuming it lasts for years, I am happy with the features and color.

Original review: July 3, 2017

I have had other brands of luggage before and the quality was not the same as my Samsonite luggage. The compartments were not large enough to hold the essential items I take with on a trip. The pull out handle broke within 6 months of owning it, the wheels had a mind of their own. I like the material used in making the Samsonite luggage, strong and waterproof to protect my belongings. A sturdy pull out handle and wheels that move with ease. I also love the compartments to separate small items. But I would like to see zippers added to the compartments to keep my items in place better and an adjustable pull out handle so that people of different heights can pull the luggage with ease. I'd recommend to family and friends.

Original review: July 2, 2017

Samsonite tends to be on the more expensive side; however, the durability, style, and prestige are well worth the price paid for these. It is a long established brand that is very powerful. It has an assortment of luggage for any situation. I like their metals collection - very chic and contemporary! Durable and outstanding, all of my items packed in are protected from the abuse of baggage handlers and bumps over the Atlantic and Pacific! However I wish there were lighter models for easier traveling and smart models to keep track of my luggage. Also, I would much prefer there was some to track my luggage's whereabouts wherever I am.

Original review: June 29, 2017

We ended up getting duffel bag-type luggage and liked that the luggage was soft, sturdy, compact and light. I prefer to travel with carry-ons only, and this made that possible. We've had it for several years now, and it has lasted longer than our old luggage, which had started to look beaten up after a few years. The price was better too, so we were comfortable buying several pieces. The model I purchased was only available in lime green and gray. I would have preferred to just buy a simple black set because I like muted colors.

Samsonite expert review by Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.

Samsonite is an American luggage manufacturer and retailer headquartered in Luxembourg. Founded in 1910, it offers luggage, backpacks, duffels, furniture and accessories.

• Products: Samsonite offers many types of luggage including hard- and softside, spinner luggage, glider cases, carry-on and checked luggage, sets, bags, totes, duffels and garment bags.

• Innovative details: Samsonite luggage features details like corner guards to protect the sides of your suitcase, three-dial combination locks, glider wheels, adjustable handles and more.

• Quality tested: All Samsonite products are quality tested. Technicians fully pack the luggage before testing it in an environment that mimics traveling conditions to determine that it meets the company’s standards for durability and strength.

• Limited warranty: Samsonite warranties its products against manufacturing defects in material or workmanship. They will replace or fix any products during the warranty period, which ranges from three years to a lifetime depending on the product.

• Retailers: Samsonite luggage is sold at many authorized retailers such as JC Penney, Sears, Kohls, Macy’s and Belk. It’s also available at Samsonite stores and the company’s website.

• Best for: travelers who need a variety of luggage sizes.

Profile picture of Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.
Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rosemary Avance, Ph.D., uses her social science research background as a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team to help people make smart choices. She researches products, businesses and industries thoroughly, then passes on the most relevant and essential information for consumers looking to make important purchasing decisions.

Samsonite Company Information