4.40/5
Based on 15 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

American Tourister

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: July 21, 2017

15 American Tourister Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: July 21, 2017

It has a good price and a sturdy handle. It is fairly easy to use and not that heavy. It is well constructed and doesn't seem like it will fall apart, but the wheels were not a great quality and it does not roll very smoothly. It looks clunky. The zipper keeps getting stuck. The amount of space difference between this luggage and my old luggage are about the same. My old luggage had more compartments and zippered pockets. The price for my new luggage is better than my old so the price is better, but I did not like the price of the luggage.

Original review: July 20, 2017

I like its great quality and that it's durable. I like the wheels for easy rolling and telescopic handle for easy pulling. Rolls smoothly but handle cracked on first use. Plastic needs to be more durable. Maybe even use metal handles?? Also lightweight but holds a lot and expands to hold even more. Zippers could be a bit stronger too but that's about it. It has better warranty and cuter fabric designs as well. Great price for the quality. Love it overall and definitely the brand to go with.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: July 15, 2017

American Tourister is known for durability. The product name has a long reputation, is a trusted brand and a household name. I like the uniqueness of style of the luggage. But the use of more original exterior patterns and more colors that stands out from others' luggage would be a plus. Thus making them easier for recognition. The Interior design of the luggage would be enhanced if they came with more compartments too. But the size of the bags are correctly designed and are perfect and are well made for flights. The color and dimensions are state of the art as well. The larger bags are designed for ease of movement and the carry on is a great use of space. This is my favorite luggage and the product is a good value for the price.

Original review: July 14, 2017

American Tourister makes great luggage and has excellent pieces of luggage to choose from. They have luggage on wheels, large bags, small bags, small overnight bags and they are all very useful for whatever types of bags you need. The only thing that I dislike with American Tourister is that the price can be very expensive. Whether it is luggage on wheels, small bags or large bags, the price is high. But I guess you get what you pay for. The quality is always very good and space and storage is adequate in every bag.

Original review: July 13, 2017

I especially like and am endeared to the fact the luggage was available in cloth sides as well as hard side and the cost was affordable. The most compelling difference between this luggage and other that I already own is that I purchased it for weekend travel versus extended stay travel. The most off putting aspect of purchasing this type luggage is not as secure as hard sided luggage but much more convenient for weekend traveling.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Tourister?

Original review: July 12, 2017

I like that it has wheels. So you can roll it around. However, it would be great if there was a way that the luggage could just follow you so you didn't have to drag it all over the place. Also, it would be great if you could stuff everything you need in one bag. Why is luggage always on sale like half off. Why can't you just come up with a price that's reasonable.

Original review: July 11, 2017

I like the material used that seems like it would tear or break but doesn't. Used it for many European vacations and still as good as new. Some other brands have heavier shells increasing the weight you pull. I hate the size requirements changing to have to purchase more pieces. I love the durability of my luggage, the storage areas very good for my needs, like the zipper pouch on the sides for documents or my book to read on the plane or travel books. The price is good as I usually wait for a good sale to replace luggage pieces I need. Happy, satisfied customer.

Original review: July 10, 2017

I like the durability of American Tourister. It's a hardside luggage that has to be checked in on arrival; it holds up to wear and tear and being tossed by luggage handlers. It is good quality and doesn't show scuffing or marks. I like most everything about it, but as with most things you own you wish you had more zip pockets or plastic-lined compartments just in case of spills. Otherwise this is a hefty piece of luggage. It is a bag to be checked so I don't hassle with it in an overhead bin. It is stylish too.

Original review: July 9, 2017

I like luggage that is big and it also has to be sturdy. It has to be lightweight and easy to carry. I like luggage that is easy, big and convenient. But I don't like that it is a little bit heavy when it is empty. I would like the luggage to be even bigger and easier to get around. I also need it to be brighter so it is easy to spot when I am at the airport and looking for it. The luggage I just got is better because it has four wheels which makes it much easier to wheel around. It also is a nice color and nice pattern.

Original review: July 8, 2017

The size and functionality work well for me and my family. It serves its purpose for the quick trips we make. I also like the color but a bigger variety of color choices would be nice. The weight is a little too heavy too, would be better if it is lighter in weight. Also would like a more durable zipper and easier to spin wheels. And although the price was better for what I was looking for, I wouldn't mind paying less for the same style of luggage, even if it a brand I do not recognize. But overall very good.

Original review: July 5, 2017

The luggage I have that is American Tourister is very portable and can store many days' worth of clothing and accessories. I love that it has wheels and a handle and can move freely As I travel around. It is safe and secure with a locking mechanism that even the sticky finger airport TSA agents can't get into. It was priced reasonably too. It could have been less expensive but all in all I am very satisfied with the construction quality, mobility and the appearance and security of My luggage set. My American Tourister luggage in comparison to some luggage I have had in the past, is much better. The quality is better, the material which the luggage is composed of his superior and the locks, fasteners, wheels, handle and Other storage compartments are superior to other luggage that I have had in the past.

Original review: July 4, 2017

I like the color, size, and construction. I'm able to fit everything that I need in it without difficulty. It has several different compartments to keep things separated and easy to find. When it is locked it is very secure. The only thing that I would improve upon, is to add wheels so it can be pulled instead of carried. I purchased the luggage before wheels were an option and they have lasted all these years through numerous trips, vacations, and moves. I have looked at other luggage in the stores and there is no comparison. The styles, colors, and sizes are different, most of them have wheels and telescopic handles, but are not as good as what I already have.

Original review: July 3, 2017

The American Tourister luggage is durable and long-lasting. I can also pack away a lot of clothes in it compared to other luggage of the same size. I've let friends borrow it and they mention how much they are able to fit in it. It is also easy to store away. The luggage apparently is also great for closet cat naps and clawing. My cat loves squeezing into it where it's not zipped up and taking a nap. So, cat comfort is also a quality of this luggage. However, some of the straps keep coming off. The metal connectors that are attached to the straps are not as well made or durable. I've been kind of rough on the luggage and that's the only thing that has given away. I only have one set of luggage and received the set as a gift.

Original review: July 2, 2017

The counterbalance of pulling the handle and the actual case are incredible. I have had luggage in the past where the handle is loose and feels like it can snap at any moment. This luggage handle is tight, secure and gives you good balance for pulling. The outside is very durable and I have no problem watching it smack around on the luggage carousel at the airline terminal. Solid piece of luggage. It has much more space than my last luggage but would have preferred to have something with more flex to it for larger items. Also, the wheels are not very sturdy. In fact I replaced them with roller hockey wheels that were much better, give it a much smoother feel, which is nice after being in a plane for awhile and not worrying about struggling with luggage.

Original review: June 29, 2017

The American Tourister Luggage has an exterior that resembles fabric and I like the appearance. In the past, I had luggage that looked like leather but it was really some kind of artificial material that did not wear well and was not as attractive. I also like the durability of the luggage. I have owned it for about thirty years and have used it for travel by airline and car consistently all that time and there is very little wear noticeable. I am very satisfied with it.

American Tourister expert review by Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.

American Tourister is a luggage brand owned by Samsonite. It was founded in 1933 in Providence, Rhode Island. The company offers luggage, backpacks and wallets.

• Luggage options: American Tourister makes carry-on and checked hard- and softside luggage including wheeled uprights, backpacks and spinners. Sizes include 20, 21, 24, 25, 28 and 30 inches and prices range from around $65 to $220.
    • Luggage sets: The company offers several set options for those who need more than one piece at a discount. These include two, three and four piece sets from about $60 to $160.
    • Kid-friendly options: American Tourister offers many options for kids such as 16 and 18 inch rolling carry-ons with Star Wars, Disney and Marvel licensed images and backpacks.
    • Sales and discounts: American Tourister often offers sales and discounts on its luggage, so check the website frequently.
    • Warranty: All American Tourister products come with a warranty against manufacturing defects in material or workmanship. The warranty period depends on the product. You must use an approved service center to make repairs on your luggage.
    • Best for: people who travel frequently and families with children.
    Profile picture of Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.
    Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rosemary Avance, Ph.D., uses her social science research background as a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team to help people make smart choices. She researches products, businesses and industries thoroughly, then passes on the most relevant and essential information for consumers looking to make important purchasing decisions.

American Tourister Company Information