3.35/5

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

American Tourister

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

American Tourister Reviews

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

The suitcase is well built. I have never had a problem with it being damaged while flying. No scratches or nicks. Looks as good as new. I am able to find my luggage easily after the plane trip. I like the style and color. If it gets dirty I just wipe it off with a wet cloth. I have had my piece of luggage since 1965 when I graduated from high school. I take it with me on all my trips both in the United States and outside the country. I can carry lots of makeup and hair care products. It has served me well. The locks are secure and lock easily. It has never opened unexpectedly. Good luggage.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

I normally over pack and that make my luggage a little heavy. Recently I went to visit my family in New Orleans, La. It has been a long time and wanted to bring back some old family seasonings. I did just that and the luggage was durable and spacious enough that I readily recommend using this luggage again and again to everyone I know that travels with heavy items.

Get expert buying tips about Luggage delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

I have a nested set of American Tourister with spinner wheels. Though I have other luggage this is my go to set. They are easy to wheel through airports, withstand baggage handlers and keep everything in place. On my latest trip I nested the luggage so I had only one piece to deal with outward bound. I purchased lots of items while I was gone and traveled home with 3 pieces.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

I have had the overhead-size bag on wheels for better than 5 years. The bag is solid and the wheels are nice. It's a dual-wheel bag with a retractable handle. I have two of the same bag, one of the handles did give up and a pocket zipper pull came off after ~4 years, but that's about all. The wheels have held up nicely, usually that's where you see the first sign of troubles if not the retractable handle. It says there is a lifetime warranty on the bag, but I have not followed up. I am a business traveler, averaging 10 or more trips a year and I always check my bag, so these bags have been subjected to the abuse of that process. I would surely recommend this brand.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

Have looked at luggage with intent to buy but just did not see any American Tourister luggage that appealed to me. Have one hard side luggage now and it has held up well. When I have looked for the carry-on travel size luggage just not able to find one that has the features I like. Main item not found is the zipper compartment for shirts and suits.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Tourister?

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

On first use zipper pull tab came off and lost by airline. This is obviously a small claim, but despite 2 contacts to American Tourister website I have had no reply. Terrible customer service. They have no USA phone number listed to call. Their chat website does not work as it will not allow you to fill in one of the required fields.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

Just received an e-mail offering friends & family discounts of 48% sitewide & free shipping for 48 hours with code. I had 3 items in my cart & when I entered the promo code 3 separate times, it said my items didn't qualify for discount or free shipping! What a scam!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

The handle no longer extends after one use. The extension handle seems to be made of a cheap aluminum which bent on the inside after first use. Probably from luggage handling on ship, but suitcase shouldn't be that fragile. "Warranty" basically doesn't cover anything. Now we have a nice suitcase you have to carry or stoop down to roll. I will buy a hardcase by another brand next time.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

This is an iconic make American Tourister... My parents also used their luggage as well. Well built and dependable. I would recommend a classic make such as American Tourister. I don't believe they are as updated on design but that doesn't matter to some.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

Have had American Tourister for years. It is basically ballistic. I keep saying I'm going to get some of the new stuff with wheels - but my old stuff won't die and I can't see parting with perfectly good product. When we do finally get new - American Tourister will be the first ones we look at.

American Tourister expert review by Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.

American Tourister is a luggage brand owned by Samsonite. It was founded in 1933 in Providence, Rhode Island. The company offers luggage, backpacks and wallets.

• Luggage options: American Tourister makes carry-on and checked hard- and softside luggage including wheeled uprights, backpacks and spinners. Sizes include 20, 21, 24, 25, 28 and 30 inches and prices range from around $65 to $220.

• Luggage sets: The company offers several set options for those who need more than one piece at a discount. These include two, three and four piece sets from about $60 to $160.

• Kid-friendly options: American Tourister offers many options for kids such as 16 and 18 inch rolling carry-ons with Star Wars, Disney and Marvel licensed images and backpacks.

• Sales and discounts: American Tourister often offers sales and discounts on its luggage, so check the website frequently.

• Warranty: All American Tourister products come with a warranty against manufacturing defects in material or workmanship. The warranty period depends on the product. You must use an approved service center to make repairs on your luggage.

• Best for: people who travel frequently and families with children.

Profile picture of Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.
      Rosemary Avance, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rosemary Avance, Ph.D., uses her social science research background as a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team to help people make smart choices. She researches products, businesses and industries thoroughly, then passes on the most relevant and essential information for consumers looking to make important purchasing decisions.

American Tourister Company Information