2. Travel
  3. Luggage

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.22/5

American Tourister Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Tourister?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Tourister?

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

The suitcase is well built. I have never had a problem with it being damaged while flying. No scratches or nicks. Looks as good as new. I am able to find my luggage easily after the plane trip. I like the style and color. If it gets dirty I just wipe it off with a wet cloth. I have had my piece of luggage since 1965 when I graduated from high school. I take it with me on all my trips both in the United States and outside the country. I can carry lots of makeup and hair care products. It has served me well. The locks are secure and lock easily. It has never opened unexpectedly. Good luggage.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

I normally over pack and that make my luggage a little heavy. Recently I went to visit my family in New Orleans, La. It has been a long time and wanted to bring back some old family seasonings. I did just that and the luggage was durable and spacious enough that I readily recommend using this luggage again and again to everyone I know that travels with heavy items.

Get buying tips about Luggage delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

I have a nested set of American Tourister with spinner wheels. Though I have other luggage this is my go to set. They are easy to wheel through airports, withstand baggage handlers and keep everything in place. On my latest trip I nested the luggage so I had only one piece to deal with outward bound. I purchased lots of items while I was gone and traveled home with 3 pieces.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

I have had the overhead-size bag on wheels for better than 5 years. The bag is solid and the wheels are nice. It's a dual-wheel bag with a retractable handle. I have two of the same bag, one of the handles did give up and a pocket zipper pull came off after ~4 years, but that's about all. The wheels have held up nicely, usually that's where you see the first sign of troubles if not the retractable handle. It says there is a lifetime warranty on the bag, but I have not followed up. I am a business traveler, averaging 10 or more trips a year and I always check my bag, so these bags have been subjected to the abuse of that process. I would surely recommend this brand.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

Have looked at luggage with intent to buy but just did not see any American Tourister luggage that appealed to me. Have one hard side luggage now and it has held up well. When I have looked for the carry-on travel size luggage just not able to find one that has the features I like. Main item not found is the zipper compartment for shirts and suits.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

Recently made a purchase of a 2 piece luggage set. Was a birthday gift for our son. The set was Mickey Mouse as it is his favorite. When we open the box and get ready to use it, we find out the set incorrectly packaged. We got a Mickey large suitcase and a Minnie small suitcase. The Minnie was part of the Minnie set. Obviously my son didn’t like the wrongly packaged Minnie one. No problem, mistakes happen. So we called the company to get the problem corrected and they could not help us. Refused to take ownership of their product and error. They would not even connect me to higher ups for assistance or to file a complaint. We will never use this company and their horrific customer service ever again! Stay far away, there are way to many companies that value their customers to deal with this nonsense!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

I bought an American Tourister suitcase on the 3rd of January 2020 and just 4 days later (7th of January 2020) it started collapsing into pieces!!!! Also the locker is not working!!!! I asked for a replacement and they don't answer!!!! This company is a fraud!!!! Stay away from it!!!!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

Bought a 5 pcs set from Belk last Christmas used it two time and the wheel on the carry-on stuck. Sent a request to American Tourister asking them to replace, but never got a response. Did get a message from them saying they got my request.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

On first use zipper pull tab came off and lost by airline. This is obviously a small claim, but despite 2 contacts to American Tourister website I have had no reply. Terrible customer service. They have no USA phone number listed to call. Their chat website does not work as it will not allow you to fill in one of the required fields.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

Just received an e-mail offering friends & family discounts of 48% sitewide & free shipping for 48 hours with code. I had 3 items in my cart & when I entered the promo code 3 separate times, it said my items didn't qualify for discount or free shipping! What a scam!

American Tourister author review by Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.

American Tourister is a luggage brand owned by Samsonite. It was founded in 1933 in Providence, Rhode Island. The company offers luggage, backpacks and wallets.

• Luggage options: American Tourister makes carry-on and checked hard- and softside luggage including wheeled uprights, backpacks and spinners. Sizes include 20, 21, 24, 25, 28 and 30 inches and prices range from around $65 to $220.

• Luggage sets: The company offers several set options for those who need more than one piece at a discount. These include two, three and four piece sets from about $60 to $160.

• Kid-friendly options: American Tourister offers many options for kids such as 16 and 18 inch rolling carry-ons with Star Wars, Disney and Marvel licensed images and backpacks.

• Sales and discounts: American Tourister often offers sales and discounts on its luggage, so check the website frequently.

• Warranty: All American Tourister products come with a warranty against manufacturing defects in material or workmanship. The warranty period depends on the product. You must use an approved service center to make repairs on your luggage.

by Rosemary Avance, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rosemary Avance, Ph.D., uses her social science research background as a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team to help people make smart choices. She researches products, businesses and industries thoroughly, then passes on the most relevant and essential information for consumers looking to make important purchasing decisions.

American Tourister Company Information