2.93/5

27 American Tourister Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 26, 2019

The handle broke after 2-hour domestic flight. It was way under the weight limit. This is the first time to use this suitcase. My last Samsonite suitcase lasted 10+ years, over 10 countries. I will never buy this company ever again.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I bought an American Tourister case precisely because it was recommended for international travel and because of the 10-year warranty. I travel between Australia and the UK regularly so I needed a robust case. I had successfully used much cheaper cases for years without any problem. After my first trip I was waiting for a taxi outside Sydney airport when the bag tipped over with the handle extended. It was not even a hard fall. The entire handle sheared off. Imagine my surprise when the repairer advised me that the damage I described is likely not covered by the warranty! I am contacting consumer advice and expect a full refund or new case. Disgusted. Avoid this brand. Laxmi **

Get expert buying tips about Luggage delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I need to replace a wheel because one got shredded on a trip. I called customer service and they said they only had the front wheels and I only needed one back wheel. They said I have to ship it to a repair company or drive 2 hrs away from my home to go have it repaired. This is ridiculous! It's a wheel... Why don't they have all the parts. The lady on the phone could care less about my situation. I will never buy this brand again and I will tell everyone I know about this company and how unhelpful they are.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Bought the bag about one year ago. After the second flight noticed a crack in the hard casing. Now with a total of about six trips the hard case had cracked in a total of three different places. Too many times to be accidental damage.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Does not deliver. Ordered my expensive hard suitcase 25 Nov. Delivery was 3 to 5 days. 10 Dec (15 days after ordered) I decided to mail to ask why not delivered. No reply. So after 4 mails no reply. Several phone calls not answer. I visited a shop that sells American Tourister. They contacted Natasha at Durban branch. She said the delivery will be on 12 Dec. Today is 15 Dec (day 20 days after ordered) and still no delivery. And not once was I contacted by American Tourister for later delivery. Only contact to say they received my payment. So you got my money, so where is my suitcase.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Tourister?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

The large suitcase is falling apart - and by that I mean the ‘hard’ plastic skeleton (which should hold up the fabric shell) is breaking into MANY SHARP SHARDS right inside the suitcase along with my clothing, etc. How is the helpful or safe? It’s not! This suitcase has not been used enough to have this issue. This is 100% product defect. American Tourister really needs to check their manufacturing and rectify the issues with each consumer!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

Disappointed, after two trips, material was coming away from handle, mesh pocket inside split, wheel not swiveling and it looks like the skeleton is out of alignment, outside piping worn. Repaired the material around handle, mesh pocket nonrepairable, but said pocket was overfilled (incorrect). Did not mention Skeleton or wheel. Said outside piping was airline damage. I now have a suitcase that looks 10 years old not less than 1.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I purchased an 82cm soft sided bag for a 6 week holiday. After 2 flights in Europe the stitching around one corner of the bag had started to undo to the tune of 5 cm (2.5 inches), and the rubber protection pads around the metal framing had also started to wear down. The Turquoise blue bag ended up having black streaks and smears on the material thanks to baggage handlers. Upon return to Australia, we phoned the store where the luggage bag was purchased, who informed us that the stitching is not covered under warranty. Better still, the airline who damaged the bag, were reluctant to pay for the repair of the bag. Eventually they agreed to pay for the bag, however we were only to find out that the stitching was unable to be repaired by a specialty luggage repairer, who also happened to sell American Tourister luggage bags.

It’s amazing that a brand new bag (still current style), didn't even last 2 weeks of a 6 week holiday, with stitching not covered by warranty nor could the luggage bag be repaired. You would think that the parent company Samsonite would have more stringent quality control over their products - including the child company products, to ensure that customers get the best value out of an expensive luggage bags. I ended up receiving a brand new luggage bag of the same size, so it will interesting to see how long this bag will last.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I purchased a 5 piece luggage set with cloth material and used in last year twice and once this year. When I arrived at my destination this year I noticed the small carry on with wheels had begin to unravel on both sides and then noticed the large case (the only two I have used of the set) is also beginning to unravel. The nearest repair center is in CO. I am in MT so I have to pay to send the case to the repair center myself. The material seems to be just coming apart like it is dry rotted. Not happy I have to pay to send them to a repair center more than 10 hour drive away.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I purchased a small carry on bag from AAA to take on small trips. I finally got a chance to use it on my trip last week to Pensacola, Florida. I ended up having to check my bag and when I got it back one of the wheels was missing and all of the plastic inside the bag was broken into little pieces. I paid $100 for this bag hoping it was going to work for me and now it is a piece of trash. It is a good thing I decided not to buy the set. I suggest if you don't want to throw away money DO NOT buy American Tourister luggage. I do understand that airlines are hard on luggage but the makers of luggage know that too, so their product should reflect the customers that buy the product. Never again.

American Tourister expert review by Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.

American Tourister is a luggage brand owned by Samsonite. It was founded in 1933 in Providence, Rhode Island. The company offers luggage, backpacks and wallets.

• Luggage options: American Tourister makes carry-on and checked hard- and softside luggage including wheeled uprights, backpacks and spinners. Sizes include 20, 21, 24, 25, 28 and 30 inches and prices range from around $65 to $220.

• Luggage sets: The company offers several set options for those who need more than one piece at a discount. These include two, three and four piece sets from about $60 to $160.

• Kid-friendly options: American Tourister offers many options for kids such as 16 and 18 inch rolling carry-ons with Star Wars, Disney and Marvel licensed images and backpacks.

• Sales and discounts: American Tourister often offers sales and discounts on its luggage, so check the website frequently.

• Warranty: All American Tourister products come with a warranty against manufacturing defects in material or workmanship. The warranty period depends on the product. You must use an approved service center to make repairs on your luggage.

• Best for: people who travel frequently and families with children.

Profile picture of Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.
Rosemary Avance, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rosemary Avance, Ph.D., uses her social science research background as a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team to help people make smart choices. She researches products, businesses and industries thoroughly, then passes on the most relevant and essential information for consumers looking to make important purchasing decisions.

American Tourister Company Information