1.34/5
Based on 68 reviews that contain star ratings

153 Secret Shopper Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 4, 2015

I signed up for Shadowshopper.com and checked it out. Most of the shops required you to sign up for a third party website but most of those seemed legit. I did a college admissions shop which I was paid $65 for but that, again, was through a third party website. A few days ago I get this text saying "This is David ** from Shadowshopper", advised me to email him at his Outlook email... A little odd but I did it. Just to see what was up. The first concerning thing was the amount of the shop. This guy says he is sending me a $3300 dollar check, I'm supposed to deposit this thing in my bank, go to Walmart, spend 50 bucks, then do a $3000 transfer to some guy in the UAE and keep $250 as payment. Enticing but fishy.

So as I'm emailing this guy back and forth with a growing sick feeling in my stomach, I start to notice, hey why is this guy using outlook and not david @ shawdowshopper.com or something... Then I noticed no official signature on the emails, typos, and he was just waaay too quick with his replies. I start asking questions. How am I supposed to do a transfer when it takes 3 days for a check to clear my account? How am I supposed to withdraw $3000 from my account in one day (my bank limits me to $1000) and WHY can't I just cash the check? It gets weirder and weirder.

So I consult Google aaand end up here. I don't know if I should send the check back or take it to the cops. Once I started asking questions David started getting pushy. When I sent him the link to this website and asked for some accreditation, anything to show me he is legit, he said "I understand how you feel, I do not indulge in scam." NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOT HAPPENING!!! I'm so glad I decided to do some research. I was just sooo excited about some extra Christmas money and I almost WRECKED myself financially! Be super careful out there guys!!!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2015

I applied for a job via CraigsList to become a 'Secret, or Mystery Shopper'. About a week later I started getting emails with instructions on what I would do as a secret shopper, and even a PDF form to fill out about the retailer I was going to evaluate. (This was intended for the local Apple Store.) Then I rec'd an email that had the amount I was going to receive via cashier's check for $2950.00, to purchase (3) i-phones. I was to deposit the check into my personal account, then proceed to the Apple Store to make the purchases and submit my review. Oh, I was also supposed to evaluate my bank in that process, which was sort of stupid.

Back to i-phones, any $ left over from original amount + taxes after I made purchase was to be my 'salary'. I smelled something odd about it all, and researched for scams like this, and found this website. One thing was the format of all of their communications (i.e., no letter head), the request to reply via text that I had received everything, status of depositing money, status of shopping, status of sending i-phones purchased, etc.

So, yesterday the check was delivered via USPS 2-day Priority. The cashier's check was made on a Chase Bank out of Ohio, actually looked pretty legit at 1st glance. But when I took it by local Chase branch, they confirmed in a split second that it was bogus form on bogus accounts. The branch manager suggested I play along with the scammers, saying I had deposited the money, made the purchases, and ask what was next. I got a text back saying that I was to Fed Ex the I-phones to their 'Evaluation Officer', who's located in Indiana.

I immediately filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission, and the State of Oklahoma Atty General's Office, which is where I live. Then I replied to a couple of the secret shopper scammer emails and texts -- basically saying the gig was up, and to never contact me again. Then I blocked the numbers and email addresses. Still, I wonder if they could do anything more; I did not give out any important info, but I did submit a resume when I applied for the job, so they know that much. We shall see. But you know the saying: If it is too good to be true, it probably is. Good luck, be aware.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2015

My life can be very displeasing especially when we loose the ones we love and cherish so much. My husband abandoned me and my 2 kids for 2 years he said he wanted new adventures. I asked what I had done wrong but he said nothing. He continued paying our bills but moved in with another woman. I was so frustrated and at times I will cry all night because I needed my husband by my side. All thanks to **, I was nearly loosing hope until I saw an article on how master James cast a love spell to make lovers come back.

"There is no harm in trying," I said to myself. I contacted him via email and after 24 hrs my story changed. Words will not be enough to appreciate what he has done for me. I have promised to share the testimony as long as I live because he brought back happiness and joy into my life. If you having any kind of problem in your relationship and you need your man back I RECOMMEND master James. Please do contact him directly on **.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2015

I applied to be a secret shopper by emailing my information to support@telmekonline.com. I received a text that I should have received my first assignment a few weeks later. The first package I received had a postage due of $5.75. Since I did not know what it was, I did not sign or pay for it. I was reassured that there should be no postage due and another package would be sent. Received the 2nd package Saturday and was receiving emails and texts by Sunday asking if I received the check. Even though I replied to the email and number to text, that I had indeed received the package, it seemed I was being rushed to get the assignment done. Luckily I did my homework and checked this site and contacted the Campus USA Credit Union to check the validation of the check. I was informed it was not valid. Please contact the institution the check was drawn on before heading to your bank or credit union. It'll save you time and money.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2015

I decided to check out a secret shopper e-mail sent to me by someone named Nick **. They in turn sent me a letter with instructions and a check for $2,750.90. The check looked funny to me so I called the bank on which it was written. Georgia Surveyors Exchange Company. I talked to a nice lady who informed me that the check was fraudulent and the company, The Premier Mystery Shopping Company, had their account closed 2 weeks prior. She also said that Surveyors was not a bank and did not issue checks to individuals. She further said that they had checks missing and suspected they were being used for fraudulent purposes and were in the process of stopping payment on said checks.

Here's what the letter I received from the Secret Shopper company said, so beware! "Deposit the check in my bank, evaluate service at my bank, evaluate service at Wal-mart, and send a Moneygram to someone named Lynn ** in Madison Wisconsin" - Moneygrams require cash!! So I was to subtract the $300 from the check and send the rest. Can you imagine the trouble I would have been in? I am a retiree with a small income. Oh, I sent an e-mail to Nick ** and the e-mail was no good. The phone number, which I did not try, is **. I did report this to the Attorney General's office in Georgia as that was where the check was issued.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Secret Shopper?

Original review: Oct. 21, 2015

I have received an assignment from Secret Shopper. They emailed me and told me I should be receiving my check today. (10/16/2015) I got the check and something also told me in my gut this is too good to be true. I am in need of money and was struggling. But I did receive the check. And the first thing I did was go to my bank and ask them was this legit. She told me it looks real.

So she asked her supervisor and also read the letter that came with it. She know it is fake. When you have to send money to somebody it is fake and she also said they have their own people that do the jobs. So I said okay. She said "Do you want me to call Capital One to make sure?" I said "Yes" and her supervisor said "You can but they will tell you it is fraud." I told them "I'm not trying to go to jail for nobody." So she called and she was right - it was fake. The check was for 2,550.00. I don't see how they can prey on poor people. My bank took the check and the letter and said they will send it to their head of coop and they will investigate and it won't affect me or my name.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2015

I received emails from a David **. I wasn't even alarmed that I had received them. I was told I would receive my assignment and payment within a couple of days. OK. So I received not one, but two priority mail envelopes with the same address from Florida on each. I opened the first one and there was a letter (no letter head or signature) with instructions and a check for $2875 from a bank in DC. I open the second envelope. Everything is identical, except the check number.

They think I will believe that these are supposed to be from a secret shopper company, mailed from a car dealership in Ocala, Florida, off of an account from a bank in Washington DC. The check does not identify anywhere that it is connected in any way with this dealership OR secret shoppers. Also, my address is not on either check. I worked for a bank, so I have dealt with this from that stand point in the past. In the morning, I am going to the sheriff's office and proceeding from there. Hopefully we can some how trace all of this and catch someone, but I doubt it. I am just glad that I am smart enough to not go through with this. Hopefully this will assist someone and keep them from making a huge financial mistake!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2015

ALL secret shopper jobs that include an $800 to $4,000 check/money order are FRAUDULENT. The only legitimate secret shopper assignments pay $5-10 to drive across town and get a car wash or some other product/service. Not worth your time.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2015

I responded to a secret shopper ad for $200 to shop 2-3 times. Got an email from Richard ** yesterday stating that a priority mail would come yesterday for $1950 to deposit it in my account and keep $200 for myself then email him when check was deposited. I sent him a message about why the check was drawn on a Navy Federal Credit Union with questions he did not respond back. I will not cash the check! I'm glad I looked at these fraudulent scam sites!

Original review: July 22, 2015

I received a check through the mail for a Secret Shopper job. Ended up being a scam. I got arrested. Now they're trying to give me 3 years for something I didn't even know. Please help. I could lose my family 4 daughters.

Original review: July 21, 2015

Back in March of this year, I got an email from Carol from secret service temp that stated she found my resume on monster.com and I was the perfect person for secret shopper. I was not interest but I gave her my granddaughter's info to see if they could help her. My granddaughter was contacted and sent her out to do an assignment, which she and was sent a check for $3,000 plus. The check bounced. I have sent several emails hoping that they would send her a replacement check and I contact the Attorney General's Office here in NYC.

Original review: July 16, 2015

I also answered an internet ad for a mystery shopper and filled out the paper work. I used to be a mystery shopper for Safeway, so I was familiar and it was all good. I got an email a few days later from a guy who said he was sending me my first job that I would be receiving a check in the mail with all the instructions. The check arrived for $1790. The instructions were to deposit the check into my bank account then the next day go back to my bank and withdraw enough to send one money order for $1440 to an Ashley ** in Washington, Iowa. As payment, I was to keep $350 and pay the wire cost from the check that was deposited.

The check looked real. The bank was on the internet and did exist, but I was still uncomfortable with the whole thing. I did deposit the check into my savings so it would not be used, and told the bank my suspicions. I got numerous phone calls to get the job done quickly. I refused to do anything until the check cleared which of course, did not because it was fraudulent. Now my account has a hold on it until it is (hopefully) researched and sorted out. I don't use that account often, so it is OK.

That following week I went into the bank branch to see if the check cleared and the teller could not help me. The bank manager was asked to help me so we both sat down at his office and looked over my account, he stated that the check was no good. The manager stated it's like hair on your body with these scams, so take HEED with these parasite people and don't let them take your money. I continued to get phone calls from a Mr. ** until he realized I was going to wait for the check to clear before doing the job. No more phone calls.

Original review: June 2, 2015

I answered a secret shopper job ad in my email. They sent me a check. I cashed it and followed the assignments. Now the store I cashed the check at has filed charges against me. I am now trying to find information to clear my name.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2015

I answered the ad for the secret shopper and they mailed an official check for $2,875 and specific instructions for forwarding a large portion of the proceeds to some person in the Philippines. The instructions were insistent that the check be cashed immediately. I called the bank where the check was drawn and they informed that the check was fraudulent and of no value.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2015

I replied to ad on craigslist for an construction job. They emailed me back and said that the job was no longer available, but the secret shopper job was. It seemed legit - they had an website set up for the company and all. So I replied to it and gave them my address. They sent me a check for $1,985 and instructions. I cashed the check then went to walmart, did an evaluation, spent $50 on an electronic item, kept $300 for my commission and sent the rest through a money gram center. I did that 2 times before I realized that the checks were bouncing. Now I have to pay all of that money back. Is there any way I can get help?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2014

I answered an internet ad for a mystery shopper and filled out the paper work. I used to live in Dallas, TX and there were a lot of legitimate mystery shoppers there. I got an email a few days later from a guy who said he was sending me my first job that I would be receiving a check in the mail with all the instructions. The check arrived for about $1,800 dollars. The instructions were to deposit the check in my bank account then the next day go back to my bank and withdraw enough to send two money orders for $750.00 which I was to go to Walmart to get a moneygram and send them to these two people, the rest was mine to keep as payment.

The check looked real. The bank was on the internet and did exist but I knew it was a scam so I called the Better Business People and they assured me that the check was counterfeit and if I deposited in my account, I would have to cover it when I bounced! I called the US Postal Inspector Generals office, and they told me to take it to the nearest Post Office and give it to the postmaster, which I did! They told me not to answer any phone calls or emails from the scammers, and they did harass me for a few days but they finally stopped, so be very careful!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2014

I got an email this morning, same set up as the scam but it had my information from careerbuilder. Beware! If they are getting information from careerbuilder, then I am not sure how much private information they have?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2014

I'm sitting here as I type with 2 money orders and a check. The money orders are for $998.50 each and the check for $950.00. All three look like the real thing so I started to do some research and wound up here. I'm trying too hard for a year to rebuild my credit to buy a house that really would a hurt bad. Me, I looked up everything I could online. Glad I did. They even put some real name and co. name on it. No, not for me. I'm going to turn it over to someone after I do more research on where to send it. This is a rotten thing to do to someone and get away with it, just wrong!!!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2014

This is more of a comment. If you really want to become a secret shopper do a google search. There are website where they list secret shop services, and by the way that in itself is just a full-time job filling in profiles. Don't bother. I live in oregon so portland is the largest city. As such the jobs I receive notices for are far and few between and for the amount of time travel and paperwork online and how long it takes you to get paid, makes it not worth the effort. The apartment pay better but you have to answer more question, so unless you can type 90 wpm, which actually does not help since the questions are of the yes or no type.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2014

I signed up with them May 2014. The first week they gave 3 jobs. I was to take pictures and send them. I was to answer the online questions. Three days past I got really sick with diabetes and email and called them telling I was ill. The very next day they put me on probation and would not give me any more shops. They called me and talked very rude to me. Three days later they emailed and called me stating that they were refusing to pay for one of the jobs. I told them by phone that if they did not pay me to cancel my membership. They did! They paid me 09/2014. I emailed them and stated "since you decided to pay and I see that you are honest, please re-open my account." They emailed me and refused, stated I had too many shops that I did not complete. They asked for your race and I am mixed race. I feel that they are discriminating.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2014

I received a check in the mail to deposit in my account. Which was to pay me for the job I was to do and any fees to pay and to sent cash by Money Gram to another Secret Shopper. Needless to said but the check had non sufficient funds. And I found out that from my bank before it was too late.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2014

I've signed up at Mystery Shoppers, Inc. few months ago. Lately, I got an email who is called David ** (using Outlook domain instead of a company domain - * Suspicious #1). He claimed they are the client of Mystery Shopping. Since he emailed to few people including me on the distribution list, I replied to him and advised him not to put our email address to c.c. in order to protect our privacy. Then on the following day, I got a mail with a check $800 via USPS 2-day Priority Mail. *Suspicious #3 Get paid before doing my job - too good to be true - must be a scam/money laundering. I didn't even bother to bank in the check because I knew it's fake (only have my name on and an authorized signature, no payer or payee's addresses). They didn't ask me to send money to Western Union, instead, one of the assignment is going to get a GreenDot MoneyPak reload card - $700 then scratch the card to get the PIN and email to me - *No more suspicious - must be a scam!!!!! I'm not sure if it's Mystery Shopper's company or their clients - somehow they got my name, address and email address. I've reported to FBI scam complaint.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2014

I received a check for $1,951.11 and I took it to my bank. They clear it on Tuesday but my even time my account was -$628 because the check was a forfeit. So I keep help. Please answer me back.

Original review: July 9, 2014

Thank goodness, I already got wind of how dirty and greedy people can be and they're trying to get smarter too. Some hacker got into a college friend I highly respected and his email sent me a part time job opportunity. Because I respected him so much I questioned him about the legitimacy of this so called "part time job." He said he had co-workers working and it was legitimate. However it was really the hacker emailing me back. Yet I sent my info and called my friend via phone. He said his email was hack and he did not send anything to me. So case close. These crooks ask me to send them a text and cash the check and send them the money pack number. I'm like are you kidding me!! I pretended that I was going to do all of that so I could have them to keep answering their email, while doing that I called the bank and the FBI. Then I sent them an email saying, "GOTCHA" and go straight to hell! If I am going to cash a check I am surely not going to send the money to you!!!

Original review: July 7, 2014

So they gave me a check for $1650.00 in the mail saying I should evaluate Walmart. I talked to my banker saying I got a random check in the mail and I didn't know if it was real. I told her to put it in my account but I wasn't going to withdraw anything in case it bounces. I emailed the sender saying I needed more than 2 days. He told me to send him the status of the assignment. So now that I read all the horrible reviews I'm sure this is going to bounce but at least I didn't spend it. Thank God.

Original review: June 11, 2014

Okay so I put an ad on Craigslist looking for a early morning job like babysitting or house cleaning and got this text and email about being a secret shopper and earning up to $200 a week. Sounded really good, too good. So I filled out the information they told me to and gave them an old address to send 'the package' to. Richard ** is the guy who contacted me and I google and facebooked him and couldn't find anything so I'm gonna check tomorrow and see what happens. I'm only 18 and I don't want to owe thousands like I've read on this site. I'm glad I found it and I'm sorry for those of you that were tricked!

Original review: June 9, 2014

I received an email from MS rep Angelica ** with the MS job offer and I registered by email. Then Stephanie ** using ** reply to finalized the registration. I received a check few days later of $2350.00 from Golden West Credit Union signed by Alexander **. I was supposed to keep $200 and send the rest to western union. BUT BEFORE DOING THAT, I called Golden West Credit Union to verify funds on the check and IT WAS FRAUDULENT! The credit union rep on the phone mention that it has been happening often, that if I cash it, it will bounce. So please, CALL THE CHECK ISSUER BANK AND VERIFY FUNDS. Also CHECK THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU just to see if the bank is valid. Google and do your research before anything! Good luck.

Original review: March 28, 2014

I am so glad I read these reports! I was totally Confused as to why I kept getting emails from a guy called Kenny, saying my first assignment would be sent to me shortly and to text him when I received it! I presumed this was just a junk email and ignore the 5 or 6 emails! Then today I get a check for nearly $8 and asking me to cash it and send out certain amounts via MoneyGram to 3 different people in Manila! I knew this sounded dodgy and was not going to cash the check, but until I read these reports I had no idea it was linked to a Secret Shopper position I had applied for! Thank you guys for helping me understand where this all came from and although, thanks to your past experiences, it has not affected me financially, I do not want them to do it to others! Can you advise who I can report this to, to see if anything can be done to stop these crooks! Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2013

Writing this to help someone who might get in this trap for Secret Shopper. I received the email through my college email if am interested to be a secret shopper and get $200 per assignment. I thought that a good way to make the money by shopping and emailing them the experience I had while shopping. I emailed back, am interested. They emailed back requesting my phone #, address, years, gender, and my alternative email address. So after I gave them my information that when they started texting my phone stating mystery shopping is available in my area and that they need me to text back to confirm that I am still interested so that they can mail my first assignment. I did so and my first assignment arrived in the mail via USPS with priority mail.

So I was excited to start earning money easy way. I forgot to mention the morning of the day I was receiving the package/envelope, they texted me and informed me my package will get to me today and I should text back to confirm I received the text and also to text when I receive the package. I was at store and was excited to get back home and open the package and see what they expected me to do.

So when I got home, I opened the mail and saw 2 checks totaling $1,992 together with the instructions on how to complete my assignment. So I decided to text them that I received the package and am going through the instructions carefully. Someone texted me back that I should ignore the instruction on the paper and follow the text message they were sending me. So to cut this story short, I was confused and thought to ignore the assignment. They kept texting me and I was questioning them and informing them they are confusing me on what they need me to do. So I decide to ask them for a number I can call or if someone can call me for clarification on how to complete the assignment.

There we go again, the call was from a different number and from different state. As I was deciding if I should proceed or not, I received a text message in my phone stating "Sorry to bother you, I'm with Scamwarners. Mystery shop job is a scam. Checks or money order is fake, scammer tells you to send money. Check will cash at first, bounce later, leaving you fully responsible. Never never NEVER send money to strangers". Thanks to my God that message came in when I was in dilemma if I should proceed or not. I texted back and asked if there is anything I can do to report and was instructed to report to postal inspection service which I did. Waiting to hear from them but I was glad I did not cash those checks.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2013

I applied for a mystery shopper job and just started this week. I received a text and email from David **. I received two assignments and each was sent through FedEx/USPS with money order/cashier check. He gave instructions to cash it, buy something $10-$30, and the rest Western Union to recipient listed. He gave you a curb ball after the Western Union transaction and I ended up sending it to another person at a different location. Then he instructed me to write a report and email him back. Both assignments were the same steps. The problem is David made stop payments on the money order and the cashier check. Now I am -$3000 in my bank. Police dept. can't do anything, only file a report. Western Union can only report it. My bank can file claims but not guarantee on getting money back. For those of you that something seems too good to be true, think again before following the transaction. Google them up and research before you act on it.

Secret Shopper Company Information