1.33/5

154 Secret Shopper Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I was contacted by a Mr. Trip ** re: being chosen to complete the task of mystery shopper for Walmart. I received a check in the amount of $2850.70, in which I was to deposit in my account. I was then instructed to deduct my pay of $250, and then shop at the store spending no more than $50, and then I needed to transfer via Moneymart $1262.50 ea to two different people. I was not to alert the associates of my task, and after doing so I would be sent a survey form in which I was to evaluate the experience. I was very excited to be chosen to be involved, until I did some research online as to the legitimacy of the "assignment". I was glad I did so, as it seems a way to get a hold of your personal account info. There was even a case of an individual that was arrested after cashing on of their checks! I hope that anyone else who is contacted by this company has the forethought to check into it first. THIS IS A SCAM, PLEASE DON'T GET INVOLVED!!!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I remember seeing something on Facebook about being a secret shopper. I clicked on it and went to sign up but I did not complete it, so I just forgot about it. On Tuesday or Wednesday I received a priority mail envelope from USPS. I opened it and there was a big check for $1925.42. And a letter with instructions to go to Walmart purchase something for $50, then you go to the money transfer station do a Walmart to Walmart money transfer for $1,550.00, there is a $25 charge which is included in the check. I really could use the extra $300 as was a compensation for my shopping. I sent an email to the address and the letter of instructions, told them my account was overdrawn at this time. He told me just to do a money transfer for $1,300, I asked what about the other 250 that he's supposed to be getting back, he said he would fix it in the next assignment that they send me.

I need to deposit the check in my account and send them a receipt of the deposit by email or text. I told him it usually takes 5 days for a check to clear, he said no the money will be available tomorrow if I deposited the check tonight. I am so glad that I Google Walmart secret shopper survey, that's when I found this website of all the complaints and it is the same scenario that I have encountered. I did not sign the back of the check, I will take the check the letter and the address label off of the priority envelope to my bank tomorrow. As the instructions have whom to transfer the money to, phone number and email address of the person giving the instructions.

Original review: March 16, 2017

I received an assignment from "Secret Shopper" with a forged USPS money order for $995.00. Was told to cash it and keep $200. Spend up to $20 at Walmart, and use a WM-2-WM money transfer to send the $795 balance to Doreen **. When I checked the USPS website to verify the M/O was good, it came back as a fake. Looks almost like a real one. But amount is printed twice, watermarks missing, and other small differences. I've contacted the FBI but am out of minutes on my cellphone. So I'll try to "LIE" and submit feedback that I've sent the balance on. Hopefully they will "Sit tight" and get caught? Love to put criminals in prison! So far only one to date, but wish me luck on more successes!

Original review: March 8, 2017

I don't know how they got our contact information but for the past 2 weeks they have been constantly harassing us through the phone every afternoon from 4-6 pm. We did not sign up for this service and we have continuously asked them to get us off of their call list. They keep calling back because they want us to give in. If the harassment keeps on continuing we will have to contact the authorities.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2017

I never signed up for anything with Secret Shopper. I had an experience with them about 3 years ago so never trusted them. I didn't get scammed or anything by them but I called and found out that they were a fake so I knew not to try anything with them again. Somehow they got my email (I did sign up for an online website to help me find a job, so I guess that's where they got my info?). I had been getting weird random phone calls on my cell phone which when answered it would be like a bunch of people calling in and then someone started talking about making money... I always just hung up BUT...

Then 2 days ago I got a text message from a James ** stating to watch my mail because a package was coming from me. I immediately called the number but it just rang and rang and rang. I then texted him and asked who he was and I stated that I didn't know him. He immediately texted back stating that it was the mystery shopper. I texted him back and told him I didn't sign up for that, didn't want any part of it, told him to never contact me again. I then blocked the number.

I went to get my mail and inside was a manila envelope marked priority (Someone paid 6.45 to send it to me. It was from a **, EWCC Service LLC, 480 Mountain Shadows Rd, Hamilton, GA 31811-5947. No one I knew!!! Opened it up, first thing that hit me was a check for $2,750.00 made out to me from Wescom Credit Union in Pasadena, CA. Never heard of them. Looks pretty official, but no watermark. Cashier's check.

Also were 2 pages of information with the CUSTOMER SERVICE EVALUATION TOOL (CSET) at the top. It says it's from the Walmart Shopper program for which I applied. I was to immediately deposit their check into my bank account. I was to reply to an email confirming that I had received the package. They wanted me to give my name, amount on the check, my bank name and cell phone. I was told to purchase an iTunes gift card worth 100.00 at any Walmart. Take a picture of the scratched iTunes pin number. Deduct 300.00 for my trip, 100.00 for the Walmart shopping. Then do a second evaluation at 2 more Walmart areas and wire the funds using 10 minute transfer services. I was to get 1225 for each trip. They then gave addresses of 2 people that I was to give each 1200.00 to. Both people were in Georgia. They said that a moneygram is 25.00 for each transfer. A LOT of instructions!!!

I'm just giving the bare bones information. It was then signed by a **, 2408 Highway 11 Nw. Monroe, GA 30656. I KNEW better than to get involved with this... but I can easily see why people would think this might be legit. What a bunch of snakes!!! I will be reporting all of this to the BBB, Attorney General's office and then hand this over to my bank. It really makes me angry that they try to hurt people and rip them off using this method. I really want to know how they got my cell phone number and mailing address! It makes me never want to put any information about myself on the internet again. Bottom line... Do not ever think if some unknown person sends you "free money" that it's free!! IT'S NOT!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Secret Shopper?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2017

I first got an email from a David ** (school email - UAH) and he needed a PA (a personal assistant) to help him with his company. I gave him my number because I was wanting to make some extra money to help pay off tuition for school. Later I got a big check from him and he kept pestering me to cash it. I was pretty skeptical because almost no one sends a big fat check to you. Then he kept asking me to go put the check in the bank and then go to the store and shop for a laptop and some junk like that. Then when I found out he was a scam, I told him off and he tried to tell me otherwise that it was not a scam. Then I voided the check myself because it was garbage. I told him I was done and not to contact me again. Then he pitched a fit about how I didn't want to work for him and he threatened me. I never cashed the check because I'm not that stupid. It was in my spam mail.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2017

I like so many others answered an offer to do secret shopping. I was sent a registered mail package with a $1400+ cashiers check. I was told to evaluate WalMart but only after depositing the check in my checking account. I felt very uneasy about this job, and emailed them and told them that I decline the job. I got a terse email reply saying it was required of me. I again emailed them saying that I was declining the job and I would not be cashing the check. Again I got a terse email saying the job was required. The final email I sent them indicated that my attorney has advised me to look for secret shopper jobs that don't involve money laundering. I have heard nothing else from them since. That right there confirms my suspicions. IF IT SEEMS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT LIKELY IS.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2016

I received a check telling me to deposit in my bank and then cash it and wire the funds to someone in Texas. The envelope came from Tyson ** in Philadelphia but the letter said to wire from Walmart to Jason ** in Galveston Texas but the check was supposedly drawn from David ** account. As a previous victim do not fall for this. You will end up paying thousands back.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2016

Same story as some of the others. Getting checks in the mail and instructions to deposit them and keep $300 and put the rest in another account. One is on a Chase account. My go into Chase see if they can help file a case. Glad I'm not alone.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2016

Everyone!!!!! If you receive a letter and a big fat check for mystery shopping, do not cash the check, or proceed with any assignment. This is a scam. I use to work for Citibank, in the anti-money laundering dept and this is exactly how the cartels and mules transfer and disguise stolen or bad money. Once you cash the check, they now have access to your account, therefore that is why people have stated they are in the whole by over $1000. If it's too good to be true, it probably is. I received the same letter and check today, and decided to do my research, just for kicks and grins because I knew it was fraud.

To make yourself feel better, always look up the bank name to see if it's a legit bank. Look up the person that emailed you or sent you a letter. You will see that in the letter they mention transferring, calling, depositing, getting a cashier's check and using a reputable retail company like Walmart as a way to get you to fall into their trap. It is nothing but a way to break down the funds into several different accounts to detour the Feds from finding them. Please spread the word and let's stop the criminals. I'm going to respond to them and let them know I have the Feds coming after them... I'm sure I won't get a response back.

Secret Shopper Company Information