Secret Shopper

Compare Job Sites

Research top Job Sites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Everyone!!!!! If you receive a letter and a big fat check for mystery shopping, do not cash the check, or proceed with any assignment. This is a scam. I use to work for Citibank, in the anti-money laundering dept and this is exactly how the cartels and mules transfer and disguise stolen or bad money. Once you cash the check, they now have access to your account, therefore that is why people have stated they are in the whole by over $1000. If it's too good to be true, it probably is. I received the same letter and check today, and decided to do my research, just for kicks and grins because I knew it was fraud.

To make yourself feel better, always look up the bank name to see if it's a legit bank. Look up the person that emailed you or sent you a letter. You will see that in the letter they mention transferring, calling, depositing, getting a cashier's check and using a reputable retail company like Walmart as a way to get you to fall into their trap. It is nothing but a way to break down the funds into several different accounts to detour the Feds from finding them. Please spread the word and let's stop the criminals. I'm going to respond to them and let them know I have the Feds coming after them... I'm sure I won't get a response back.

They have no concept of the pressures and stress of what retailers go through. They assume they are highly important people rather than a just run of a mill person. Average. Unimportant. Simple dollar signs. Retailers already try their best under the great amount of stress they go through to try and make you happy and if you can't wrap your head around how hard it is, maybe you should stay home and make your own damn drink/food item.

I received a letter in the mail with a check for 3992.50. There are two things that I am suppose to do: 1. I was to shop at Walmart, Home Depot, Sears, Winners, and Best Buy. 2. Transfer money by Western Union for the amount of 3,162.50. Once It did this I was to fill out a form and send it by fax to 470-335-1804. It kept saying that I needed to talk to the Coordinator; which in itself is a big caution signal to me. I worked retail for many years and I know that companies are out there to do Mystery Shopping, but this one is sending up warning signs to me!

On the envelope it has a return address from: Sanford Bell and Associates, Inc in Montgomery, Al and on the check it has MSM Morton Scrap Metal, Inc which are both real businesses, but when contacting Consumer Survey Specialist it brought up a lot of complaints. All were very similar to mine and that made me very skeptical of going through with the assignment.

I had a friend forward me an email from "target," offering a job for secret shoppers. So I responded to the email and got texts as well as a USPS envelope in the mail. I went to my bank and then I called the Wood Forest National Bank and then found out it was a scam. Just like everyone has said, if it's too good to be true, then it is.

My boyfriend replied to an offer from secret shopper and received two assignments along with one Money Order from the post office, $990.89 and one for our bank, $1,443.00. Come to find out that this company is knowingly sending out false money orders and cheats. If it seems to good to be true, most of the time it is. We are very upset.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Secret Shopper?

I also got this famous big USPS envelope. Sender was a mattress firm in OK. The letter inside was crumbled, no address or letter head - $1950 on the check, but this one was printed wrong. The white stripe where normally the account information is was on the top. The address to send the MoneyGram was in CA, the bank from HI. So it was very simply to recognize as fraud. I gave it to my banker. He'll sent to his fraud department. And I wrote a "nice" email to the address in the letter from my trash email account.

Received a USPS package with a Mystery Shoppers Inc. logo and a check made out to me for $1825.07. Was instructed to deposit check then purchase three OneVanilla prepaid cards and add at register $500 for each card from CVS, Walmart, Rite Aid, Walgreens, Family Dollar or Dollar General. My fee to keep was $300. Was instructed to email pics of cards to Phoenix, AZ address and hold onto to cards for further instructions. Information forwarded to Attorney General of Texas.

Rec'd cashier's check from Credit Union in San Diego for Mystery Shoppers assignment for $2920. Called the Credit Union and the first question was what color is check. I answered blue and rep tells me it is a fraud and I am the 3rd person this week that has called. What happens is you put check in your account and text a message to a number Mystery Shopper has given you on instruction sheet to find out what to do with remaining money. I did not text number because CU told me I would be accountable for money that comes out of my acct. I was to get $200 but wire or do something with the remaining $2720 which I will never know because I did not text them to find out assignment. I called Credit Union instead. So glad I did otherwise I would have been had. Hope this helps some dope like me who knows if it looks too good to be true, it isn't.

I just received a USPS envelope mailed to me in a large envelope. Once I opened the mail, I saw a check for $1950 which I was not expecting but it was for a mystery shopper for Western Union. It was giving me instructions to deposit that check with my bank, email ** (compulsorily)... Yeah I'm sorrily & advise him that I received their check so he'll make sure funds will in the account.

Offering me $200 + $150 for wire transfer fee through Western Union then mail $800 each to 2 strangers in Dayton, TX & Amarillo, TX. Looks too good to be true & checked this website(s) and sure thing!!! a SCAM alright. Thank God for your reviews people. I will not to go jail for anyone!!! I may not have a job but it's still worth being a good person!

Needless to say, I will frame this check as a token of ALMOST being a scam victim from the lowest scum of this earth!! It's so sad that people like those think that we are all stupid and ignorant. So sorrily ID10T!! Thank you for all your reviews. It's alarming that it exists but most of all, Thank God for technology to allow us to open our eyes from scums!!!

About a couple weeks ago I seen a ad on Instagram for a career in secret shoppers. I made a profile and a couple days later I get a text for a guy named Fred telling me to email him my info to get a job with secret shopping at Walmart. I was kinda skeptical like I always am so I decided to give him my PObox info instead. He instructed me that I was gonna receive a check in the mail for my services and I was going to do a transaction at one of those MoneyGrams inside of the store and rate their performance. Every night at weird hours he would text me to see if I received the check which I knew was unprofessional and something was up.

I explained to him thru email that I wasn't interested especially because of his unprofessionalism texting me at 3:00am. He changed the subject and continue to ask if I received the check. I finally checked in the PObox and I did get a package with a cashier's check for $1995.00 and a paper with directions. I knew it was too good to be true for someone to trust another person to actually send the check back. I live in New York and honestly I was just going to keep the whole check and not send anything back until I read someone was scammed just like this. The check is worthless and garbage. They wanted me to keep 250 dollars for my payment and send the rest to some guy in the Philippines. Hopefully no one gets scammed and actually sends the money because you will owe the bank back.

Secret Shopper for Walmart -- February 22, 2016, I received a priority mail. Enclosed was an instruction letter and money order for $984.20 that look real. The letter instructed me to fill in Corrin ** name in the address column along with their address and to fill in my name and address in the pay to column. The letter then instructed me to cash the money order at my bank and deduct $180.00 for my pay to complete the first task assignment. The task assignment was to go to a local Walmart store and appear as a customer (secret shopper). The next step is to purchase any item for my own use not to exceed over $20.00, then proceed to check out of the store. I am instructed to observe the cashier/attendant name and how they conducted themselves. I am also instructed to email the receipt/invoice number along with my observation about the cashier as I checked out of the store. (Pretty simple right?) umm... except the second part of the instruction.

The second part of this letter instruction is for me to wire the remaining of $785.00 minus a transfer charge of $19.20 through MoneyGram to their affiliate in Texas address to ** at 141 Blazing Star Dr. Georgetown TX 78633. I am instructed to make an observation of the cashier/attendant name, how long it took to get checkout, smartness of the attendant, report the receipt number and the 8 digit reference number, scan and email the exact amount of the transaction sent printed on the receipt. (This is a red flag.) **No one should never send funds through MoneyGram to any person they do not know, this transaction is not legitimate and strikes me as a fraud transaction.**

I had reported and filed this complaint to the Federal Trade Commission and alerted my bank just in case the money order returns back as a fake. It's a good thing I did not wired the money. If I had done so, I would have been out of pocket 984.20 plus shopping fees. If you are instructed to conducted this type of act, contact your local authority, bank and the Federal Trade Commission. This is another scam to get people hard earned dollars...

I signed up for an assignment with secretshopper.com to do a shop at a liquor store. I made the visit, purchased a product, and then wrote my review for secretshopper.com and uploaded a picture of my receipt. I know that it takes till nearly the end of the following month to receive payment, so I didn't worry about it for a while. But months passed and the day my check was supposed to be issued and mailed came and went. It's been over two months now since I was supposed to receive a check and have not received anything; nor have they bothered to respond to multiple emails sent (they also make it difficult to contact them and don't provide a name of any rep or employee). It was only a check for around $10, but I don't appreciate signing up to the website, doing a shop for them, filling out the online form, and then never hearing from them again. I always kind of thought secret shopping was a scam, but now I know it is. AVOID!!!

I signed up for Shadowshopper.com and checked it out. Most of the shops required you to sign up for a third party website but most of those seemed legit. I did a college admissions shop which I was paid $65 for but that, again, was through a third party website. A few days ago I get this text saying "This is David ** from Shadowshopper", advised me to email him at his Outlook email... A little odd but I did it. Just to see what was up. The first concerning thing was the amount of the shop. This guy says he is sending me a $3300 dollar check, I'm supposed to deposit this thing in my bank, go to Walmart, spend 50 bucks, then do a $3000 transfer to some guy in the UAE and keep $250 as payment. Enticing but fishy.

So as I'm emailing this guy back and forth with a growing sick feeling in my stomach, I start to notice, hey why is this guy using outlook and not david @ shawdowshopper.com or something... Then I noticed no official signature on the emails, typos, and he was just waaay too quick with his replies. I start asking questions. How am I supposed to do a transfer when it takes 3 days for a check to clear my account? How am I supposed to withdraw $3000 from my account in one day (my bank limits me to $1000) and WHY can't I just cash the check? It gets weirder and weirder.

So I consult Google aaand end up here. I don't know if I should send the check back or take it to the cops. Once I started asking questions David started getting pushy. When I sent him the link to this website and asked for some accreditation, anything to show me he is legit, he said "I understand how you feel, I do not indulge in scam." NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOT HAPPENING!!! I'm so glad I decided to do some research. I was just sooo excited about some extra Christmas money and I almost WRECKED myself financially! Be super careful out there guys!!!

I applied for a job via CraigsList to become a 'Secret, or Mystery Shopper'. About a week later I started getting emails with instructions on what I would do as a secret shopper, and even a PDF form to fill out about the retailer I was going to evaluate. (This was intended for the local Apple Store.) Then I rec'd an email that had the amount I was going to receive via cashier's check for $2950.00, to purchase (3) i-phones. I was to deposit the check into my personal account, then proceed to the Apple Store to make the purchases and submit my review. Oh, I was also supposed to evaluate my bank in that process, which was sort of stupid.

Back to i-phones, any $ left over from original amount + taxes after I made purchase was to be my 'salary'. I smelled something odd about it all, and researched for scams like this, and found this website. One thing was the format of all of their communications (i.e., no letter head), the request to reply via text that I had received everything, status of depositing money, status of shopping, status of sending i-phones purchased, etc.

So, yesterday the check was delivered via USPS 2-day Priority. The cashier's check was made on a Chase Bank out of Ohio, actually looked pretty legit at 1st glance. But when I took it by local Chase branch, they confirmed in a split second that it was bogus form on bogus accounts. The branch manager suggested I play along with the scammers, saying I had deposited the money, made the purchases, and ask what was next. I got a text back saying that I was to Fed Ex the I-phones to their 'Evaluation Officer', who's located in Indiana.

I immediately filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission, and the State of Oklahoma Atty General's Office, which is where I live. Then I replied to a couple of the secret shopper scammer emails and texts -- basically saying the gig was up, and to never contact me again. Then I blocked the numbers and email addresses. Still, I wonder if they could do anything more; I did not give out any important info, but I did submit a resume when I applied for the job, so they know that much. We shall see. But you know the saying: If it is too good to be true, it probably is. Good luck, be aware.

My life can be very displeasing especially when we loose the ones we love and cherish so much. My husband abandoned me and my 2 kids for 2 years he said he wanted new adventures. I asked what I had done wrong but he said nothing. He continued paying our bills but moved in with another woman. I was so frustrated and at times I will cry all night because I needed my husband by my side. All thanks to **, I was nearly loosing hope until I saw an article on how master James cast a love spell to make lovers come back.

"There is no harm in trying," I said to myself. I contacted him via email and after 24 hrs my story changed. Words will not be enough to appreciate what he has done for me. I have promised to share the testimony as long as I live because he brought back happiness and joy into my life. If you having any kind of problem in your relationship and you need your man back I RECOMMEND master James. Please do contact him directly on **.

I applied to be a secret shopper by emailing my information to support@telmekonline.com. I received a text that I should have received my first assignment a few weeks later. The first package I received had a postage due of $5.75. Since I did not know what it was, I did not sign or pay for it. I was reassured that there should be no postage due and another package would be sent. Received the 2nd package Saturday and was receiving emails and texts by Sunday asking if I received the check. Even though I replied to the email and number to text, that I had indeed received the package, it seemed I was being rushed to get the assignment done. Luckily I did my homework and checked this site and contacted the Campus USA Credit Union to check the validation of the check. I was informed it was not valid. Please contact the institution the check was drawn on before heading to your bank or credit union. It'll save you time and money.

I decided to check out a secret shopper e-mail sent to me by someone named Nick **. They in turn sent me a letter with instructions and a check for $2,750.90. The check looked funny to me so I called the bank on which it was written. Georgia Surveyors Exchange Company. I talked to a nice lady who informed me that the check was fraudulent and the company, The Premier Mystery Shopping Company, had their account closed 2 weeks prior. She also said that Surveyors was not a bank and did not issue checks to individuals. She further said that they had checks missing and suspected they were being used for fraudulent purposes and were in the process of stopping payment on said checks.

Here's what the letter I received from the Secret Shopper company said, so beware! "Deposit the check in my bank, evaluate service at my bank, evaluate service at Wal-mart, and send a Moneygram to someone named Lynn ** in Madison Wisconsin" - Moneygrams require cash!! So I was to subtract the $300 from the check and send the rest. Can you imagine the trouble I would have been in? I am a retiree with a small income. Oh, I sent an e-mail to Nick ** and the e-mail was no good. The phone number, which I did not try, is **. I did report this to the Attorney General's office in Georgia as that was where the check was issued.

I have received an assignment from Secret Shopper. They emailed me and told me I should be receiving my check today. (10/16/2015) I got the check and something also told me in my gut this is too good to be true. I am in need of money and was struggling. But I did receive the check. And the first thing I did was go to my bank and ask them was this legit. She told me it looks real.

So she asked her supervisor and also read the letter that came with it. She know it is fake. When you have to send money to somebody it is fake and she also said they have their own people that do the jobs. So I said okay. She said "Do you want me to call Capital One to make sure?" I said "Yes" and her supervisor said "You can but they will tell you it is fraud." I told them "I'm not trying to go to jail for nobody." So she called and she was right - it was fake. The check was for 2,550.00. I don't see how they can prey on poor people. My bank took the check and the letter and said they will send it to their head of coop and they will investigate and it won't affect me or my name.

I received emails from a David **. I wasn't even alarmed that I had received them. I was told I would receive my assignment and payment within a couple of days. OK. So I received not one, but two priority mail envelopes with the same address from Florida on each. I opened the first one and there was a letter (no letter head or signature) with instructions and a check for $2875 from a bank in DC. I open the second envelope. Everything is identical, except the check number.

They think I will believe that these are supposed to be from a secret shopper company, mailed from a car dealership in Ocala, Florida, off of an account from a bank in Washington DC. The check does not identify anywhere that it is connected in any way with this dealership OR secret shoppers. Also, my address is not on either check. I worked for a bank, so I have dealt with this from that stand point in the past. In the morning, I am going to the sheriff's office and proceeding from there. Hopefully we can some how trace all of this and catch someone, but I doubt it. I am just glad that I am smart enough to not go through with this. Hopefully this will assist someone and keep them from making a huge financial mistake!

ALL secret shopper jobs that include an $800 to $4,000 check/money order are FRAUDULENT. The only legitimate secret shopper assignments pay $5-10 to drive across town and get a car wash or some other product/service. Not worth your time.

I responded to a secret shopper ad for $200 to shop 2-3 times. Got an email from Richard ** yesterday stating that a priority mail would come yesterday for $1950 to deposit it in my account and keep $200 for myself then email him when check was deposited. I sent him a message about why the check was drawn on a Navy Federal Credit Union with questions he did not respond back. I will not cash the check! I'm glad I looked at these fraudulent scam sites!

I received a check through the mail for a Secret Shopper job. Ended up being a scam. I got arrested. Now they're trying to give me 3 years for something I didn't even know. Please help. I could lose my family 4 daughters.

Back in March of this year, I got an email from Carol from secret service temp that stated she found my resume on monster.com and I was the perfect person for secret shopper. I was not interest but I gave her my granddaughter's info to see if they could help her. My granddaughter was contacted and sent her out to do an assignment, which she and was sent a check for $3,000 plus. The check bounced. I have sent several emails hoping that they would send her a replacement check and I contact the Attorney General's Office here in NYC.

I also answered an internet ad for a mystery shopper and filled out the paper work. I used to be a mystery shopper for Safeway, so I was familiar and it was all good. I got an email a few days later from a guy who said he was sending me my first job that I would be receiving a check in the mail with all the instructions. The check arrived for $1790. The instructions were to deposit the check into my bank account then the next day go back to my bank and withdraw enough to send one money order for $1440 to an Ashley ** in Washington, Iowa. As payment, I was to keep $350 and pay the wire cost from the check that was deposited.

The check looked real. The bank was on the internet and did exist, but I was still uncomfortable with the whole thing. I did deposit the check into my savings so it would not be used, and told the bank my suspicions. I got numerous phone calls to get the job done quickly. I refused to do anything until the check cleared which of course, did not because it was fraudulent. Now my account has a hold on it until it is (hopefully) researched and sorted out. I don't use that account often, so it is OK.

That following week I went into the bank branch to see if the check cleared and the teller could not help me. The bank manager was asked to help me so we both sat down at his office and looked over my account, he stated that the check was no good. The manager stated it's like hair on your body with these scams, so take HEED with these parasite people and don't let them take your money. I continued to get phone calls from a Mr. ** until he realized I was going to wait for the check to clear before doing the job. No more phone calls.

I answered a secret shopper job ad in my email. They sent me a check. I cashed it and followed the assignments. Now the store I cashed the check at has filed charges against me. I am now trying to find information to clear my name.

I answered the ad for the secret shopper and they mailed an official check for $2,875 and specific instructions for forwarding a large portion of the proceeds to some person in the Philippines. The instructions were insistent that the check be cashed immediately. I called the bank where the check was drawn and they informed that the check was fraudulent and of no value.

I replied to ad on craigslist for an construction job. They emailed me back and said that the job was no longer available, but the secret shopper job was. It seemed legit - they had an website set up for the company and all. So I replied to it and gave them my address. They sent me a check for $1,985 and instructions. I cashed the check then went to walmart, did an evaluation, spent $50 on an electronic item, kept $300 for my commission and sent the rest through a money gram center. I did that 2 times before I realized that the checks were bouncing. Now I have to pay all of that money back. Is there any way I can get help?

I answered an internet ad for a mystery shopper and filled out the paper work. I used to live in Dallas, TX and there were a lot of legitimate mystery shoppers there. I got an email a few days later from a guy who said he was sending me my first job that I would be receiving a check in the mail with all the instructions. The check arrived for about $1,800 dollars. The instructions were to deposit the check in my bank account then the next day go back to my bank and withdraw enough to send two money orders for $750.00 which I was to go to Walmart to get a moneygram and send them to these two people, the rest was mine to keep as payment.

The check looked real. The bank was on the internet and did exist but I knew it was a scam so I called the Better Business People and they assured me that the check was counterfeit and if I deposited in my account, I would have to cover it when I bounced! I called the US Postal Inspector Generals office, and they told me to take it to the nearest Post Office and give it to the postmaster, which I did! They told me not to answer any phone calls or emails from the scammers, and they did harass me for a few days but they finally stopped, so be very careful!

I got an email this morning, same set up as the scam but it had my information from careerbuilder. Beware! If they are getting information from careerbuilder, then I am not sure how much private information they have?

I'm sitting here as I type with 2 money orders and a check. The money orders are for $998.50 each and the check for $950.00. All three look like the real thing so I started to do some research and wound up here. I'm trying too hard for a year to rebuild my credit to buy a house that really would a hurt bad. Me, I looked up everything I could online. Glad I did. They even put some real name and co. name on it. No, not for me. I'm going to turn it over to someone after I do more research on where to send it. This is a rotten thing to do to someone and get away with it, just wrong!!!

Secret Shopper Company Profile