Government Grant Scams

Compare Miscellaneous

Research top Miscellaneous recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I was called. The man had a very broken accent! Said the US Government selected me to receive a 9200.00 grant. The man called from (202)789-5587. I immediately came to check if others had received the same type of call. I did not give out any of my information.

Heavily accented Middle Eastern call my personal cellphone with my address, phone number, whole name... etc. Told me I had been awarded $6700 in federal grant money from the government, told me a confirmation number **. A callback number 6466321129 my caller ID said Washington DC but when I reverse searched the number said New York. Total scam. Wants $200 to pick up money at Walgreens or CVS whatever or if I gave him my bank account I could get it in ten minutes... trust me.

After the first call I googled it and saw it was happening to hundreds of other people so I called the number and told them, "I looked it up online and it says you want $200 to pick up the money and why is it saying this online?" He said, "Well the money doesn't go to me..." (him) and I said, "OK how did you get my information..." Then he paused and I said, "I said how did you get my information!!" And he hung up. End of story. There is no free money in the world. It's a scam... stupid hacker. Indian Arab **. Do not give them money!!!

I just received a call from these scammers, and this not the first time they've called me. I spoke to a woman. She told me all about the so called fake 9000 grant I won, then she told me to call Tony. I called Tony and told him I wanted to work for him so I could scam people out of their hard earned money, I wanted to be just like him, lol. He told me this was not a scam, so I asked him, "I don't have to send you any money?" He said "no I didn't ask you for any money", then he turns around and says "but you need to pay $200 for a registration card."

I then told him, "no I just want to work for you and your company". Tony hung up the phone on me, I called back several times and he kept hanging up the phone. Finally someone else answered the phone, and I explained to them how I wanted for their company. Long story short, he said I was smart, but I would have to come to the Philippines, that's where their company was. Then he said it's easy, you have to know how to talk to people and convince them to believe you!!! Scam alert, these are nothing but scam, do not ever give anyone your personal information over the phone concerning free money that you do not know it's a scam and when they ask you for money, THAT MONEY IS FOR THEM!!!

16 March, 2017 received a call from a Government Grant Program the did not require me to repay. Caller was a female with a VERY heavy foreign accent. This call number was 206-912-1212. This number has called my home number multiple times the last two days. I answered out of frustration with so many calls. After the caller explained the reason for the call, she then proceeded to provided a "grant number" and a separate number to call for the Supervisor. His number is 206-212-1710.

I found it interesting that the prefix for the initial caller was 912. The initial caller said I needed to call back in 10 minutes as he was on the telephone with another candidate. The prefix for the supervisor was 212. Usually facility prefix numbers are the same. The initial caller had my home address, my home number. She made the statement that no government agency ever asked for neither your banking or credit card info. I for this grant because of "great credit, no defaulting on any payments for over a year and not declaring foreclosing".

I also received a call today. I went through the same process as you all. 2028367644. I went all the way as to making the second call. But before I made the second call I told the first caller I don't have time for scams. I told him that a woman has been calling me months telling me I was chosen for this grant money. He said it was impossible because this lottery just started. I continued on with the process calling second number and giving my code. I began telling him the same thing that I pray it's not a scam because I really do need the money and don't want to go through another scam. He asked me what would I use the money for and I told him I prayed for money for me to start my business and to help my kids and grandchildren. I found myself crying on the phone begging this man please don't be a scam. He promised me that it wasn't.

He then told me about the options MoneyGram and 250 fee. I said "See all this talk you did about free money, I knew there was a catch..." He began promising me again it wasn't a scam swearing on everything that he loves and said to me he hears my pain. He would never do that to me because he believe it will come back on him. I told him I didn't have the money and I would have to borrow it. He said not to worry. They will get the money back... He kept over and over saying "Please don't worry. This is real money and it is not a scam." I cried thinking this was finally the financial break I needed to get ahead after a long struggles. I began to thank him so he said "When you get there call me and I will guide you through personally." LOL. OMG. He said "And when you get this money today for you and your family you can call me and say thank you for your money."

I hung up thinking this is what I really needed. After a long challenge of filling out job applications online for a yr with no success. After crying like a baby I wiped my eyes and called my best friend who immediately said it was a scam. Me being desperate got a little upset because he didn't realize this was my miracle even though we are both Christians LOL. I wanted to believe that good is still out there and in my own way tried to convince him that the man did everything to convince me that it was legit and promised on his kids. Funny thing I didn't even know whether he had kids or not. He said "No it's a scam." I hung up from him and typed online and came across all of you who went through the same thing.

There is another scam (Secret Shoppers) with big checks through the mail and you have to go to MoneyGram or Western Union. Beware, beware, beware. I want to say to you all that are struggling like myself. Our time will come. God will see us through our trying times. Be patient and we won't be scammed by anyone. Keep your faith. This means me too. LOL.

How do I know I can trust these reviews?

Unlike the other reviews I was contacted by an Anne and online. A friend text me & asked if I got my money yet. I'd already @ that time dismissed this as a scam, & didn't know what he'd meant. He regave me a link to Anne Ane, government agent. I messaged her & she quickly replied. My friend said he'd gotten $40_000 & paid 1500. He said that an agent delivered the cash to his door within 24 hrs. Said that he was shown list & my name was on it & he didn't want me to miss out. This "program" is supposedly a grant for individuals that need help with finances, buying home, car etc. However you first have to send payment fee & the bigger the payment the bigger the grant is, also you pick grant amount such as $4000 for $100,000!?

You cannot reach them by mail only FB link, & then after you message them they/she messages you back. Promised 24 hr delivery cash or check, & warned me to tell no one so IRS not take 40% of grant & to avoid double claim?! My friend says he swears it's real, & he received $80,000 cash within 24 hrs to his door. Why would a government agency want you to pay first for grant & with MoneyGram? Also, why would said government agency warn you about IRS taxing your money?

Aren't they both federal government agencies? But, what would my friend have to gain by lying? Although he has been asking a lot of questions about if all do it, amount, what date & SD I give my address yet. Anyone have similar story? Anyone actually get the grant money?

I received a phone call on 3/9/2017 from a restricted number. The man said I will receive a $10,000 grant free money for being a good citizen paying my bills on time, never filed bankruptcies and not having a criminal record. He had my name, address, email and phone number. He asked my age. He said I can receive the money three ways. Direct deposits, Walmart or Walgreens.

I asked him if this was a scam. He said, "No." In my mind I knew it was a scam because the government doesn't give money away. I am a Veteran so I know. He gave me a code and told me not to tell anyone the code because people can take the money. He gave me a phone number. 206-204-5263. To talk to the account manager. Then he hung up. I never called the number. I found this site and saw the similar stories. Do not fall for this scam.

I received a call today that I had avoided answering on My Cell Phone because it was a number I knew. Washington area code 202-246-1002. But others have been from Texas, Florida, Kansas and Minnesota. At 11:15 I answered to the voice of an very heavily accented man, Not profiling but of Mid-Eastern diversity (I have always been interested in different accents and pride myself on being able to distinguish).

He began to inform me he was calling from the US Federal Grant Verification Office. And he ask if he was speaking to (my name). I knew it was a scam but played along. He confirmed me The US GOV Grant Division in December had select my name to receive $9000. Of course, I said WOW! He continued as I asked questions. He said his name was Nick, I ask for his dept. Of course he said US Grant. He gave me a Approval number, I had asked him what number was his calling from before and then he gave me a number and said I need to call it when we hung up to receive my money. He actually made it sound so real.

He continued to tell me this was enacted through American Recovery and Reinvestment ACT 2009! That I could only use this $9000 for Home improvement, pay off Home loans, etc... And nothing Illegal. He was GOOD. Oh and he verified my Address, I didn't tell him, and my Gmail Account!!! I immediately changed my passwords. Please tell your family, friends, neighbors, Out it on Social Media, Work, Spread the word and please change your passwords to your accounts. Somehow these people had my address, name, phone number and Email address.

Received a call from the Federal Grants & Treasury Department this afternoon stating that I was one of 1500 people who qualified for $8,200 of free money from the government. Started with a man with a foreign accent asking me to register for $200 in order to receive the funds at Walgreens, Walmart or deposited into my account. When tried to ask questions, he would over talk me and gave me an approval code of ** and a phone number to call 206-420-0348. Out of curiosity I called the number and spoke to Mark ** who also had a very heavy foreign accent. He also tried to over talk me when I tried to ask questions as to why someone has to pay a registration fee to receive the funds. He never gave me an answer and was getting agitated with me. I know a scam when I see/hear one and this is a SCAM. I pray that they don't prey on an elderly person with this foolishness. Beware people.

I received a call today from FL **. The lady said her name was Cecil x113. She told me I qualified for a 7800 grant and would never need to pay back because of my past history of filing taxes and no criminal record. I was told there were three options for me to claim my grant 1. If I gave my debit card number they would transfer the money to my card (duh) 2. If I gave my bank account they could deposit directly in my account (really) 3. Cash in hand. To play along a little longer I chose "cash in hand". I guess by asking for cash in hand, I advanced to level two; I was given a number ** and confirmation # TS005. She wanted me to contact the number ASAP, and let her know if there were any problems. Although I wasn't going to call the number anyway; finding this thread was a good find; so I wanted to share my experience also.

1(205) 652-9333 called from Livingston, AL. They had called me this past Tuesday which was 02/21/2017 but when I would answer they wouldn't say anything and would just hang up. Then on 02/22/2017 at 6:43 the calls started to continue again. This time they were stating that my name was randomly selected by my government saying that I was eligible for a Government Grant of up to $9,000.00 and that I didn't need to pay anything back. I didn't believe this was true so I proceeded to hang up. They called me one more time after that and I answered this time there was a lady screaming at me in another language then she hung up. I'm getting irritated by how many times they've been calling me and would like for it to stop.

I received two calls! Once yesterday and another one today! They asked me my age... and they had all of my address and email information. I asked why do you want to know my age? The one yesterday said I qualify for $7000.00 and the one today said $8000.00. They make it sound real official and say because I paid my bills on time I qualified for a Federal Grant, that the federal government was giving away since 2009. They gave me a special code or reference number and to call a phone number back, with the code. Yesterday's number was ** and today's number was ** - they also gave me the option of cash payment or bank account. I said I will not give anyone my bank account information, I will take the cash.

Then he said, "Ok that is fine", then I hung up. I was curious, so I called the last number, gave her the code and another lady with an Indian Accent told me, I could go to my local MoneyGram to pick up the $8000 in money, but I had to pay $200.00 for two cards and the Federal Government would reimburse me. I told them I did not have $200.00 and the lady with the thick Indian accent, said, "Well, how much money do you have?" I said, " None". She said call me back when you get $200.00. I said, "Alright" thank you and hung up. I can't believe how much they know about me already! It's scary!

Got a call from a New York area code. They proceeded to tell me I was approved for a $8,700 grant for paying my taxes and having no criminal record. They gave me a confirmation # and a # to call to recovery my grant. I knew this was a scam right away so I called the 1800# given and flipped the script. A man with a thick Indian accent answers and right away I start with "congratulations, you have won a government grant"... blah blah blah and so forth. There was a long pause and then the gentleman asked my name and #, so I asked him his name and #. Basically repeated everything he said word for word. Eventually he gave up and said I needed to grow up and then hung up. It was hilarious and I suggest if you receive this call, to do the same.

I received a call on 2/14/2017 from a lady Mary. She said she was calling from The United States Federal Grant Dep for being a good citizen, pay my taxes on time, never file bankruptcy, no criminal records and it's a free grant the government are giving away. Also gave me a code AR2480 saying that I was entitled to a $9200 grant from the government and she gave me a phone number 606-655-9494 and asked to speak to Davide. I felt it was a scam so I did not call but she called after 30 mins that I needed to call Davide. So I called who explain that he has my grant money and that I needed to go to Walmart or Walgreen close to me for Western Union and I would need to provide a activation fee of $150. Also gave me a control number #9560341626 that after paying the $150 he will tell how to fill the form out so that tax will not be taken from it.

Out of curiosity I went to Publix Western Union and the story changed. He said to activate the card I should get ITUNES card of $150 ($100 or $50s). He said I should call out the number on the ITUNES before he can activate the payment. After he said things have changed, the government is asking for tax fee of $350 which I told he never mentioned this before and I don't have it. He said "you can use your credit card". So I said "ok but I can only pay $200". He said no problem that he will pay the $150. After reading another $200 iTunes card, he pasted my call to another guy Martin ** who is to pay the money through US Bank to my bank that he cannot transfer the money to Western Union anymore. When Martin ** started talking he said the payout is now $10,200 which I asked why, he said I need to pay them another $500 to be able to transfer the money into my bank.

So I asked him if I can pay in the next 2 months. He got kind of mad and said "you have still Friday or go to your bank and do overdraft. They should be able to give you money or go ask your friends for money." That's when I asked him to transfer me back to Davide again. I told Davide I needed to cancel the whole thing and I will return the cards to get my money back. Also I don't need the grant money anymore. Davide told me it was too late that I can't get the cards or money back. Now Davide gave me another reason that error occur while they were trying to process the transfer because I could not pay the $350 so I need to pay another $500 or $350 which will be refunded back to me and I should make payment by this Friday. I can't believe people can be doing this. I wanted to google this but I just got carried away.

I received a call today from 202 741 4477. The gentleman said his name was David. He told me I qualified for a 7000 grant and would never need to pay back. He repeated an address and I told him that wasn't my address and that I was almost debt free and I wasn't interested in the grant. Then he proceed to use foul language at me. Call me a ** for wasting his time. I told him I would report him.

Just like others that have posted here, my scammers called from a NY number probably because they had my zip code. The 1st woman called with the heavy "Indian" accent. Asked me to call back the account counselor at 315-293-2037. Of course, I knew it had to be a scam, but played along. Called Chris ** back later in the afternoon. I got the same nonsense as everyone else, also with the thick "Indian" accent. With this one though, after asking me if I knew how Western Union worked, he said when I got to the store, I had to call him back from the parking lot, let him know where I was and he would "alert" the store that I was on my way to claim my $9000 grant.

As I was on the phone, I'm seeing everyone here tell a similar story. So I started asking him about fees. He claimed there wasn't one. I then asked by was I reading all the same accounts on Consumer Affairs? Why would I need to call them, if I had a confirmation number. Got him all twisted up. He started speaking to someone in the background, then got back to me claiming he didn't know what Consumer Affairs was. Trying to defend himself by saying, he didn't ask me for any personal information. I told him that "if this was not a scam, then there would not be 6+ pages of other people that received the same phone call, with the same speech you just gave me." He apologized for "upsetting me"... which wasn't even the case and told me to have a good day.

I just got a phone call just now from the number in the picture I attached below. This is a scam no doubt about it. I was told that I "qualified for a US Government Grant." Best thing you can do is tell them to not call you anymore and that I know you are a scam.

I was also contacted today by an Indian guy trying to explain to me how I am one of over 1700 American citizens that works hard, pays my bills on time and not a criminal so lucky me wins a free $7000. All I had to do is go to the nearest Walgreens or Walmart to pick up the funds. I asked why am I getting money from the government because of that and he explained that I am one of the few that was chosen. He gave me a code of ** and told me to call 347-509-8737 as soon as we hung up to further explain how to get this free money.

I called and spoke with another Indian guy telling me to go to Walmart and when I get there to call back and he would explain how to receive the funds. I told him I'd be there in 30 minutes but never went. They called back but I didn't answer. How the hell are they calling all us random people trying to take our hard earned money and nobody is sending any red flags on social media to protect the citizens of this country? Hey souls post this on all social media as well as the news and catch these bastards!

Just received a call stating I would receive $7800 Loyalty Grant. Knew it wasn't right. I gave them my bank info but when they asked for $250 FLAGGG Alert. Told them I would call back later. I know this is a scam and they said it was not. That's why I googled it and found out there are others receiving the same calls. Pray they don't charge my card or take my money. I have been scammed before.

So I got a cold call from **. ** had a very thick Indian accent and claimed that he worked for the US Treasury Dept and that I was one of 1500 people in my area selected to receive a personal grant for being a good citizen with no criminal record and paying my bills on time. This immediately made me skeptical and I suspected fraud, however I played along with him to try and get additional information so I could include it when I filed a complaint with the authorities. That's when it started getting scary. He began telling me my personal information including what bank I use and what types of accounts I have with them, my home address, my phone number and my email address as well as marital status and that I have 4 children. He stated that I needed to call ** and give him an activation code to claim my grant and then go to my local Walmart Moneygram center to receive my funds.

When I questioned the validity of the grant, ** gave me his employee id of ** and said his work address is 200 Independence Ave, Washington D.C. 20201. He then informed me that the phone call was taking too long and he needed to call a total of 400 people today and that I was not the only good citizen who he had to call today and wished me a good day. I immediately filed a complaint on the TIGTA website as I had been researching the phone numbers, names and address he gave me during the call and came across this thread. I also contacted my banking institution to verify my account security. My concern is that my identity as well as my family's identity may be in jeopardy now, I guess I will have to monitor credit reports more closely than I already do.

I received a call from The United States Federal Grant Dept. saying that I was entitled to a $9000 grant from the government and that I would need to provide a processing fee of $250 to them which I promptly did [like a fool---I am a trusting and optimistic person, and my good nature was exploited]. They then strung me along some more, and gave me another number to call the "bank manager" and she told me that I'd need to send along another $1000 to cover a "state tax" required in order to complete the transaction. That's when the flags and bells penetrated my thick skull and I said a few choice words ending with, scam artist and hung up. This "person's" name is Matthew ** their fake name is "United States Federal Grant Dept." and their number is 315-710-0498.

My experience was exactly the same as what has been reported in the other complaints I've read prior to writing this one and I echo their sentiments. I am a hard working and trusting American---and these crooks stole my money. The worst part for me was not losing the $250 but the feeling of being robbed made me feel violated---like my house was broken into. I've learned my lesson. I can still be trusting but as Ronald Reagan said when dealing with the USSR [at the time] "Trust but verify."

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one out there going through this. The last two weeks, I have been called twice by a Washington, DC phone number telling me I'm eligible for grant money. The first call, said, because I'm not a criminal and always paid my bills on time, I'm eligible for $9,000.00. All that 's required is I call a second phone number and give them a code. I called and left a message but never heard back.

Next, I received a call a week later (today) stating I qualify for $7,000.00 because I'm a good citizen as long as I don't use the money on drugs, gambling or anything illegal. I could even buy a new car or start a business. I got the code from the first foreigner and called the second foreigner Lisa, **. She went on and on about how she wanted to help me get this money. She said all you have to do is go to Walgreens and buy $250.00 in ITUNES vouchers. Two $100.00 vouchers and one for $50.00.

After that, she said, go to Wal-Mart bring an ID pen and paper, cell phone and she would be on the phone with me the whole time recording the conversation. The goal was to get a MTC number. I did some research online about grant money scams and reached out to my local news channel who investigates scammers and bad deals. I went to Walgreens just out of curiosity to see if vouchers really exist. The store clerk said all we have is ITUNES cards. It's a scam, don't do it.

Like everyone (it seems), I keep getting calls from people from India offering me a $9,000.00 Treasury Dept Government Grant. They are relentless. My latest calls came out of Seattle, **, but it seems they utilize many numbers and locations. My story mirrors all the rest with the proposal and means. I was also told to call the Treasury Department in NYC at 33 Liberty ST 10045. According to their website, this is a scam in their name and they have links to report internet fraud http://www.ic3.gov/default. aspx and other links for reporting. If you have come this far then file complaints as many as you can. I hate to think of all the good trusting people who are cheated. Too bad the news or gov't does not put out warnings regularly to protect us. They tell us about everything else why not a scam of this proportion? IT is up to us, report, report, report!

I received a phone call several times today from the #718-554-7122. I finally got frustrated enough to answer it. The man had a very thick accent from India. I asked him to repeat why I was given a grant for $7600. I never could understand him. I finally took down the grant # and the phone #. I figured it was a scam but I called the # hoping to get someone that spoke English. The # I was given was 206-472-6034. I did get an English speaking woman but I still couldn't understand her as she explained why I was getting this grant. I told them I wanted a check mailed to me. She then told me I would have to pay $250 fee but that it would be refunded to me in five minutes. I told her I didn't have $250. She told me to call her back when I did. That was my clue to check online for scams. I will say, at no point did they ask me for SSN or credit card info. However, I am sure if I would have paid the $250, they would have gotten that information.

Received multiple calls from Man with Thick Indian accent. I explained I was driving and could not talk. He told me that I had qualified for Grant Money Free from the US Treasury! I decided to play along since the calls continued the next morning. The same man gave me a code GD23147 and advised me to call 469-300-0306 to speak to someone else. When I called I advise the man I was very suspicious of the numerous calls from the previous man. I explained that I was considering reporting this information to the FBI. He asked me why I would do this? I said I believed him to be a scammer. I told him I would not give him any information about myself. He said, "So you believe this is a scam." I replied "YES", and he disconnected.

Received a call from someone named Roger ** stating he was calling from the Grant Department of the US Department of Treasury. Really? I called it back and it's a Google Voice number. Beware! Asking for my bank account information and I will get $7500 in Grant Money. This is a scam! I asked if they could mail this to me but later told it was not an option. Do not fall for this.

I had another call today from a man with a heavy Indian accent, telling me that I had been selected for $14600 of free grant money. My response to all of his questions was, "umm hmm". Finally, I asked him if this was a scam? Because people do not just call you out of the blue and give you FREE money. He explained that since I paid my bills on time, no criminal record, and had not filed bankruptcy within the last 8 months, I qualified for this FREE money. Now, we all know if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is not true. So I remained calm, and asked him what was the name of the company he was calling from. (Because of his accent it was hard to hear). After three attempts he said, National Institute of Health. I asked where he was calling from and he said, Seattle, WA. I could hear all the noise in the background so I asked him again if this was a scam. He replied, no!

Just wanted to give me another number to call so I could get my FREE money. I explained to him that I was very leery of this offer, because there are so many people calling trying to scam others. He assured me that this was not a scam. As I begin to question him again about why would someone just call a person and offer them money, just made me believe this was not quite right. He hung up on me. Just be aware of a wolf in sheep clothing.

I got a call from Department of Government Grants saying that I am eligible for a grant from the government. They asked me if I am interested in getting the grant and I said no. He was asking on the call, what should I do with the application and then suggested me if I would like to cancel the application. I said yes. He said he would be charging fees of about $3.97 for the cancellation and then wanted to know my card details such as card number, cvv number and expiry details. I told him that I will not be giving those details over the phone and asked him to mail me my charges and told him that I would be only paying them once I get the acknowledgment. He also told me that if I will not be paying the fees I would be paying a penalty of 59.95$ every month for a period of one year. I said "I don't believe you guys" as his accent doesn't sound like American and sounds Asian.

When I asked him about his details in order to verify the authenticity of his details, he left me with these details. Name: **, Employee id: **, Phone number: 202-698-9999 but he call from 202-698-9997 and told this is his personal number. Address: 200 Independence Avenue, Southwest, Washington DC 20201. Later he hung up the call. When I tried calling him back on both of his numbers say that number is not in service. When I googled about these I found that these people are fraud and wanted to share my experience. Please don't fall for these people. Never reveal your details!!

Like Beverly, more than likely does, I have a 504 area code. However, I reside in San Antonio, TX. I received those same calls but I looked online and saw it was a scam. So, for ** and giggles I blocked my number and called the "account manager". First, a guy with a thick Indian accent asked me who I was and why was I calling. I never answered the "who I was" but said, "I was told to call you." He asked, "for what?" I said, "in regards to the free grant money." He said, okay and asked me for the alpha-numeric code I was given. I purposely gave him XTX0245, which was the wrong code. He replied to confirm XVS0246, which was the correct code that was given to me by the first caller (I received a call about 5 min. prior and was given a completely different code). So, still trying to figure out how he knew that it was me although I blocked my number.

I still played along just to see where the conversation would go. I told me that in order to receive my "free" grant money I needed to go to the nearest CVS or Walgreen's and to call him when I got in the parking lot. So, I acted as if I didn't understand the instructions and asked him the reason for going to Walgreen's or CVS. His reply was, "to get the registration card so you can get your $9000." I asked, "what registration card?" He used the same rebuttal, "the registration card so you can get your $9000."

So I changed the question. I asked the, "what does the registration card from Walgreen's or CVS look like?" He then asked me if I was familiar with an iTunes card. I said yes, but why does the government need me to get an iTunes card in order to receive my "free money?" He said because money can't be transferred from that card and to keep that card with me and once I called registered with that card I would receive my now $9200 within 15 minutes. I then asked if he worked for the government? He replied, yes.

I then asked him for his government ID #. He responded by asking me for the last for digits of my SSN. I told him I don't give out my SSN. He then replied, "why don't you want to give me your SSN? Are you an illegal immigrant or something?" I said, "no, it's just that I receive grants from the government all the time for going to school..." He cut me off and said, and you have to pay those back, but I'm the one giving you a free grant. I politely tried to correct him and tell him that only loans get paid back, not grants. He began to get frustrated and called me a liar. I told him, "if you work for the "grant department" you should know that."

Before he could reply I asked him where he was calling from. He replied NY, which I had already did a reverse look-up of the number and saw that the number was from Syracuse. I asked where in New York? He replied, New York City. I told him that I had already looked the number up and saw he was calling from an untraceable internet number. He said, "yes, and where are you, in a cardboard box?" I actually thought that was pretty funny, so I laughed.

That seemed to make him mad though as most Indians do when you laugh at them. He then told me that I was no longer eligible for the "free" grant money and to go get the $9000 from somewhere else. Then he hung up on me. I did all of that just to see how far these folks will go. I'm a sales professional and know that there's a lot of gullible people out there that would truly give their last $200 because they're convinced that they will receive that $9000 dollars in 15 minutes. I wouldn't want anything like that to happen to any of my loved ones nor would I want the same to happen to anyone else's.

So me and my husband just got a call from a "restricted" number. The foreign lady said we won a government grant of $9,500 for paying our taxes and no criminal record. We do not have to pay it back. So when she finished she gave us the other number to call to claim our grant. The number was 202-888-4097 and the reference number was **. This lady was very rude and asked where we wanted the money sent, I said a check. She didn't ask for my address or anything. She said "ok I send a check" and hung up on me. So I called back and asked her how could she without knowing an address, she hung up again. Long story short, I called back and let them know I knew it was scam and they need to stop trying to steal hard working Americans' money. That really ticked her off and she went ballistic. She keeps calling back to back now to argue. So I told them I was turning them in and she got even more furious.