Government Grant Scams

Last updated: April 10, 2018

1901 Government Grant Scams Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 10, 2018

I just got a call from a lady with a very heavy Chinese accent. She told me I was gonna receive a grants for 9200 because of a survey I filled out and because I have paid my taxes and I don’t get in trouble and never filed bankruptcy. Then I ask what do I spend the money on thinking maybe it’s a grant for college. Well she said I can spend it on anything other than drugs or illegal things. Then she gave me a code and a phone number I am supposed to call to set up for me to get the money. I didn’t call back because no one gives free money away. So if someone calls you saying this, don’t believe it. They called from Washington DC.

Original review: April 5, 2018

Just got a call from this lady named Kelly ** and told me that she has 9 Grand for me. My money was in the Federal Reserve Bank just had to go to Western Union and send 200. I said, "Cool. You got it. Be there in a hour." "Do you understand why you are getting this money?" I said, "No!" "You have not been in No trouble in the past 6 months and you pay your bills on time." Red light went off. I just came home from prison and don't have anything in my name. So how do I get the chance to get free money. Just street smarts jumping into play.

Today has been a very funny day. She told me to call her outside of the Walgreens and follow instructions. I thought it was a nerd that hacked the system and putting cash in random people's pocket. That was 2 hours ago. No Government will have you pay for something that is giving to you. Please be safe and enjoy the money you do have don't just give it away. Give it to me if that's the case. I just came home from prison. Her # is 646-975-9464 code is cb245.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous & Personal Care delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I received a call April 4, 2018 about a $9,000 "Government grant" from 220-004-14004 saying this was John **, foreign accent, that I had been a loyal taxpayer, had not had a bankruptcy in the last 6 months etc, and that I qualified for free money, $9,000 grant that did not need paid back. I was to call 202-681-3107 and give a code MT142 and I would be told how to receive my money. His name was Alex **, he told me to go to WalMart or Walgreens to get my money from Western Union. He gave me 3 activation codes and said I had to call him when I got to WalMart and pay $100, then I would receive my 1st payment of $3,000. Do not give them any personal info, it is a scam and I hope they get caught.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I just received a call saying I was chosen to receive $9,000 grant from the government to pay for necessary bills, school, etc. and given an ID # to give to another number. I was supposed to call immediately after hanging up. It was 202-780-7522 & he said if I call the acct manager would tell me which Western Union place I could pick up the cash. I immediately googled and found this site and the post back on March of 2018, sounded the exact same, except I didn't call the number as instructed, since I found this. He also spoke broken English and had the wrong zip code.

Original review: March 8, 2018

CSR called me and stated, "I was selected to receive a $9,000.00 Free Federal Grant." We verified information about myself which was incorrect, he did not speak clear English but I listened to what he had to say. He explained to me why I was chosen etc... I got as much information from the call because my brother googled the name (scam alert). I was given an ID # a phone, name and address. To collect my free Grant Money they transfer cash in a Thur the store transaction. He rattled off several stores where I would go to Customer Service complete forms Money Receiving Forms with my info Grant ID # etc. I was told to call back right away and speak to a manager and request Receive Grant Money.

The lady I spoke to again did not speak or understand English well. She got very angry at me and started yelling at me. At that point I expressed and confronted her of this being a scam. I told her I am going to report all this and she hung up on me. I went a little further to express how I felt and called back 3 times in which 2 hung up on me. My 3rd time the CSR went into unkind details about how he felt and spoke unkind things. This is unbelievable how they feel good about scamming you and will do and say things that are unkind. We don't need this fake stuff and hopefully will be shut down asap.

How do I know I can trust these reviews?

Original review: March 7, 2018

Received a call from 646-000-0004 this a.m. telling me that I was chosen for a free government grant for $9,000.00 and every year the government picks random taxpayers for this free grant. They go so far as to giving you a ID# and even asking you how you would like to receive your money. They then give you a number to call and tell you to give the money ID# when you call them. They then tell you that you must stay on the phone with them and you pay a 1 time registration fee. Your money is a large amount and it is coming from the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. I listened so that may get as much information as possible. The second number I was to call was 646-975-9464. Mark ** the name used by someone with a heavy accent haha. People beware. They want you to give your info or send them a 1 time fee of $200.00 that you will get back. DON’T DO THIS. GIVE NO PERSONAL INFO.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

Got a call from an 800-898-4532 number and they left a message to call (253) 205-8957. Said I was randomly selected to receive a free grant from the US gov't for 10,000 no payback free grant. The name the male used was Kevin ** and had a foreign accent. I called the number and a female answered also foreign accent. Said I am eligible for a free grant and would have the supervisor call back to verify my info and send it to Walmart to Walmart money transfer. Would have to bring $250 with me to pay the fees or something like that. They said I qualify because I pay my bills on time, taxes on time, no illegal activity (how could anyone know this if you're random selected). SCAM SCAM SCAM.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

So I just got a call for a free grant and this is what he said. He said he was with federal government and that I was picked for a free grant and all I would have to do is answer four questions dishonestly by lying but I am Christian and that is against my belief plus I actually do want to go back to school. So my question is seeing I told the school people yes someone called and told me what to say, am I still able to go back to school for business and will I still be eligible for a grant? If not why not and what can I do to fix it?

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Just received a phone call from 202-345-6781. ID said Washington DC. Stated he was from the Federal Grant Central Treasury Dept. Said I had received a $9000 dollar Grant. I asked why and it's because I have paid my taxes on time every year and not filed bankruptcy in the last 6 months. Gave me an information ID number TA211 and another number to call 315-636-0077. I called the number and a recording stated to say my name and Google would place the call. Nobody answered, which was a shame because I really wanted to blast them.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Same number 4x while at work: 303-698-4167. When I picked up the phone a lady obviously from a country in Africa, with much broken English began her script. When asked to take me off of her list, she got irate and began talking vulgar. In disbelief that any agency would have or allow someone to speak in ways that was not only offensive but illegal (verbal assault) she repressed herself. And said when people spoke to her in such a way she is forced to speak to them that way. Merely responded by, "I simply asked you to remove me from your list." She then asked me If I was a “vulgar” face. Her name was along the lines of Win, or Wilma... Again complete scam, broken English and bad scam artist, horrible manners, even for a hoax.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

Beware, beware, BEWARE!!! of this number coming through on your phone 202-123-5546. The person on the other end will say they are from the government. And because you have no criminal record, bankruptcy within the past five months and have been paying your bills and taxes on time you have been randomly picked from a governmental database to receive $9,200 which you do not have to pay back. Wow! Sounds great. You are given a control number and another phone number which they say is their accountant. I noticed after each sentence they said "alright" the person asks how would you like to receive your money. Options are in your bank saving, debt account or you can pick your money up at Walmart, Walgreens. But first you must call this number 1-240-233-4415. The personal accountant person who will ask for your ID number and proceed to tell you about a $200.00 dollar fee that must be paid first.

Steven was his name and he went on and on and on about this grant money and the $200.00. Well to say the least I had enough and began asking questions like what state was he from. He said Washington, D.C. the Capital. I informed him that my caller I.D. stated that he was located in Maryland and that Washington D.C. number starts with 202. Further, the first number does not take incoming calls. The Government allows for both in and out calls. Steven cursed at me, and then hung up but not before I told him that I knew this was a scam and that he should be ashamed of himself preying on people. As we all know the government does not do business that way. Ask questions. Get as much information as needed to be able to report them. This has to stop. So many people are vulnerable and are on hard times and would be the ones to fall for scams like this.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I had been receiving calls from a California # that I never answered. Today they called from Michigan saying that I was approved for a 9,200 grant. The guy was Indian or Middle Eastern. He proceeded to read from a script about how I can go to Walmart and pick up my grant money to which I told him that if Uncle Sam wanted me with some of his money, he would mail it to me. He gave me some I.D. number and another phone number to call once I got to Walmart. This is a scam, if the government wanted you with money they would mail it to you.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

Male with foreign accent called to tell me the US Government was rewarding me with a $9,200 grant. Asked if I wanted it directly deposited or sent through MoneyGram at Walmart. Obviously I said the latter as I assumed this was a scam. Called the # he gave me out of sheer curiosity. Man on phone with a British Indian accent answered very generically "Hello how may I help you?" & at the end of the convo he told me to call him once I got to Walmart so he could tell me how to properly fill out the form. I asked why he couldn't give me the info now & he skimmed over the question but told me to call him back by 7. Also I asked him to tell me how I could confirm this wasn't a scam. His response mentioned that the $150 fee would be reimbursed & acted as more of a deposit. It was an Unknown # that called me but the # I was supposed to call back was 8459774646. Hope this helps.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

My cell and house phone keeps on ringing for the past two weeks calling from 202-100-2000 or 202-827-6594. I decided to answer it. The man had a foreign accent. He said my first name and zip code. I said, “Yes, and who is this?” He said, “This is the Federal Government and your name was randomly selected to receive a Grant in the amount of $9,000.” He also said I can use it to buy a car, pay bills, etc. I can also pick up the money by wire transfer (Western Union or Walmart), debit card, check or direct deposit. I told him wire transfer. I asked him, “Do I need to pay it back?” He said No, because it’s free money from the Federal Government. He gave me a code ** and call 202-643-8737 to receive instructions on getting my money.

At first, it sounds too Good to be True. So, I called the phone number and a woman had a foreign accent. She asked for my code (**), she said my name and zip code correctly. She said, “You can pick up your money from Walmart, but we would need $200 for bank fees.” I told her I do not have $200. She said, “Can you borrow it from a friend, family member or a spouse?” I told her No and said never mind and hung up the phone!! If the Government is giving you FREE Money, they should not ask for money from you. Be Careful, it’s a SCAM!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Non-Return Grant Money $9800.00. I received a call from operator with strong accent. Asked my age and said because I had not filed bankruptcy or did not have felony through the American Recovery & Reimbursement Act of 1990 I was awarded a grant that did not have to be paid back. I was given a code and told to call another number for senior agent who would release cash through Western Union at Walmart. I asked for the address of their office in Washington, he gave me the address and call back number and extension.

The man wanted me to go to Walmart right away and he would walk me through the process to avoid being charged registration fees with the federal reserve bank. I told him, "I would call back with my lawyer to make sure everything was legit." He said, "No", that no one else can know my code. After he walks me through it and I get the money the department will send text with legal documents. I said, "I will call you back when I'm dressed." He said, "Okay." I called original number that called me to see if someone would answer and they did but I hung up and checked your site. There the reviews sounded familiar and I knew that gut feeling was right. Who can't use the money, but I realize they are targeting seniors. So sad.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

APPROVED FOR FREE $9,0000 GOVERNMENT GRANT CHECK. I keep receiving several calls from area codes 202, 500, sometimes the telephone number shows up as "N". These callers cannot speak English very well but they all say they have English names like Joe, James, Kate, Phil etc. Since then I have been blocking all calls from the area codes listed above. Please everyone BEWARE of this scam, especially the ELDERLY FOLKS. DON'T fall for this.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

Was contacted by a woman who did not speak very good English - told me that I did not need to pay back the grant of $9950.00, and that I would need to speak with another department to get the funds. I asked what my name was, she answered. I asked what state I was in. No answer - then she got really defensive when I said I looked the phone number and nothing came up. I asked what state she was in and she answered Texas. I said, "well your phone number came up as 914-654-1832 New Rochelle, RA." When I said "Is that your number" she hesitated and then said yes - then got angry and said, "do you want the money or not." I am not going to waste my time any longer and she hung up on me. She stated she was from the US Finance Department. Called the number back and it was not even the correct number. SCAMMERS. Wish they could be caught.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

I received a call from a lady this morning as I was getting ready for an appointment I had. She had a foreign accent and was very hard to understand. What I did understand was that I was being awarded a federal grant in the amount of $14,000. I stayed on the phone confirming the info SHE ALREADY HAD ON ME such as my address and telephone number. The last 4 digits of my social security number was the only info that I had to provide her with. She proceeds to tell me that I was picked to receive this grant due to demographics and the fact that I have never been convicted of a felony. (I WAS, IN FACT, CONVICTED OF FELONY DUI. The charge has been dropped to a misdemeanor.)

At this point, I am running late and she is informing me that I need to speak with her supervisor to ensure all info is correct. I politely told her that I had an appointment to be at and asked if I could give a callback. She started to talk over me. That was when I raised my voice and told her that I was hanging up. At 4:23 pm, my phone rang and it was her again. She asked if I was able to take her call and advised me that it would only take up about 15 minutes of my time. I agreed.

She recapped our earlier conversation and told me, again, that her supervisor needed to get on the line to verify all of the info. I was put on hold and about a minute later the "supervisor" was on the line. It was at this point that my gut feeling took over. As he went over my information, I was online "googling" Federal Grant Department. As I read, complaint after complaint, it was happening to me. I was being scammed. As I read on, halfway listening to this scam artist on the other end of the line, I saw that they were asking these innocent people to go load between $200 and $400 onto various cards.

He assured them that the money would and could not be touched. I stopped him in mid sentence and asked him if I was going to need to load $200 onto a card. I must have I caught him off guard because his tone of voice changed quickly into a defensive one and asked, "Who told you?" I should really have gone on with the act, but instead I told him that he had the wrong one. I told him that I was reading complaint after complaint that he was trying to scam me and I ended the call. BEWARE OF THESE SCUM!!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I got a phone call this morning from a lady that didn't speak very well English and she told me I've been given a federal grant for $8,700 just because I pay my bills and bunch of other stuff and said I had no police record or bankruptcy and said it wont cost me a dime. She ask how I wanted it I said Walmart money gram. She had me call this number 202-899-9495 and talk to George ** ext **. He said it was free money only thing I have to do is pay to register at Walmart and he would also give me that money back. I called Walmart to see how much it would cost but they would not tell me. He said I need to give them my id ** I told him I dont drive so I will have to go sometime tomorrow. He said that was fine to call him when I get in the parking lot.

Then a few hours later I get another call from yes another one from the federal government again his name was James **. This time my id was ** same thing George told me so did he I asked him lots of questions this time I wanted a website he said go to obama.com. I did it said "this website is for sell" then he said "go to governmentgrants.com" and I told him I did and it says "this is a scam". I told James and he got very upset. I told him thats what it says he swore up and down this is no scam. It is free money not everyone knows about it so he asked me to call this number 206-259-5875. I told him I am doing things right now it will be a few hours before I can call. I did not give no money or pay to register at Walmart but I just have a feeling this is a SCAM. Wanted to let everyone know.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

Uganda at the homeland - Callers promise $9000 from "government office" With name randomly selected (Red flags, no govern office named to verify, random, amount and no address). Inquire for address and specific government office - they defensive, unable/refuse. Ask if I call back will I get an answerable number. They hung up. If it sounds unbelievable - it may be Nigerian scammer in this country.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I received a call from 212-691-6329. A very polite gentleman with a thick Indian or Pakistani accent told me that I had qualified for a government grant of $9,750. All I had to do was to call 585-701-1025 or 845-350-0432 with the ID code he gave me and they would send a check for that amount to my home address. I decided to try it out. Interestingly, I was told that I had an incorrect number (though I had verified it with the original caller). So, I guess I'm safe for now. It's a weird scam, though. I can't imagine how they get the money from you. The original caller assured me that the phone calls were free and that I wouldn't have to give out any personal information. A puzzle!

Original review: July 31, 2017

I received a call from a Jordan ** claiming to work with the US FEDERAL GRANTS DEPARTMENT. (I have recently applied for a pell grant). He informed me that I was approved for a grant of 9000.00. He provided me with a website, www.grants.gov, a phone number, **, my grant approval ID, **, and also gave me information to contact the banking officer Danny ** at extension **. They informed me that my money had been released on 6/30/2017. He then gave me a username and a password for the website @ www.grants.gov. I proceeded to check online and sure enough I have an account on this website stating everything he had said was true. I asked for a main office address which he provided and then mapped it and it is the human and health services department in Washington Dc. This man even knew my FAFSA information.

He stayed on the phone with me continuing to tell me this is not a scam you have nothing to worry about you have all of my information. Because of the personal information he had on me, (my FAFSA information, address, phone number, bday, how many children had divorced, EVERYTHING, I fell for this stupid scam. I called another man this Jordan character had given me and his name was Ben ** from the FEDERAL BANK RESERVE in New York, New York at **. His badge number was **. He told me my mind was released as well but since it was coming from New York and going to New Mexico,( keep in mind I told him I didn't want money gram or western union I wanted it on my Emerald Card), there would be a 420.00 tax fee. I asked why he couldn't take it out of the money I was receiving and he said it's not allowed it has to be sent by the receiver.

Things just escalated from there I hung up pissed off and he continued to call me back. I even told him he had already scammed me enough he wasn't gettin anything else from me. He proceeded to tell me about the grants.gov login again telling me it can't be a scam it is a government website and a government loan. at the start my loan was $9000.00. an hour and a half later he told me again but this time it increases to 9665.00. The reason for this being my reimbursement for the taxes and registration fees. SCAM!! DON'T BE FOOLED IF THEY KNOW YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION HANG UP RIGHT AWAY!! THEY'RE PROBABLY WATCHING YOUR EVERY MOVE! STAY SAFE Y'ALL AND REPORT THESE PEOPLE!!

Original review: July 26, 2017

I received a call from **, Peter, Asian accent but understandable. He says the grant I applied for had been approved. All I needed to do was get a specific card and load 250$. Then confirm to him I have the card, not give him the card info or the money, he would then give me the Western Union numbers, I then go to Western Union, collect 9,700$, then give them the card with the 250$ still on it and I would be refunded that 250$ on the spot. He was not pushy, only asked me to confirm my zip code, asked for no further information. The whole thing does not make sense nor does it sound at all logical. Wondering how this Peter would get my 250$ if I will not be asked for the info on the card just confirmation that I have it. This is a scam, just not sure how they're working it. Beware, don't fall for this.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I have applied to a lot of jobs, so I have answered every incoming call. Normally, I screen the call and if I don't recognize the number or have a name assigned, it goes to voicemail. As a result, I have received the all zeros, unknown, private, and area codes 312, 727, 315, 325, etc. A couple have asked for me by first name, then the call drops. Others have just hung up. But I finally got to talk to a guy. $9000 Grant for being a good tax paying citizen. I chose the money order option because the only time I have received "free" money from the US Government was when I re-enlisted into the Army. Code provided: **. Call: 360-209-7339. Call received from: 360-100-2222. Did not waste my time calling. Immediately logged into here to provide information. Please, the IRS and the Dept of Defense have my account information, they been making direct deposits of my pay and tax returns for years. If they wanted to send me money, they got the info.

Original review: July 21, 2017

Just received call, from a private number, from a guy with poor english called Jackson and said I qualified for a $9000 govt. grant. He gave me a code and a number to call to get my grant, 202-657-4494. I called it and got Steve ** (also with poor english) who told me to go to my nearest Walmart with $99 processing fee and pick up my $9000 Instagram and to call him from the parking lot for further instructions and this grant would be for $9099 to reimburse me for the $99 fee to receive this. As this has every indicator of a scam to take my $99 I think I will pass up my $9000 govt. grant.

Original review: July 20, 2017

They keep calling me & telling me that I'm going to get a grant for $9,200 & that I have to go buy some gift card for $200 then call them back. But I don't have money to buy any gift card so I've told them that but they still keep calling me over & over again!

Original review: July 18, 2017

I just had someone call from 2027969232. The number came up as Washington D C5. This woman with an accent came on the line and stated that I had filled out a survey, pay my bills, and taxes that I qualified for a 9000 Loyalty Grant. She asked what method would I like my payment. Banking or checking account, on my credit card or Western Union. I choose the last to see what would happen. She then continued to give me instructions to call this number right away. The number she gave me was 2028367644 and with a ID for the grant JH201. I didn't call the number. Instead I went on here. All I said during the call was ok. There is a phone scam called "Can you Hear me now." Where they get you to say yes and use this to purchase item in your name.

Original review: July 14, 2017

I received a call at work from a blocked number at work. I usually don't answer to private numbers, however, I have just purchased a house and wanted to make sure it wasn't a lender needing more information. When I answered a woman with an extremely thick middle eastern accent was on the other end of the line claiming that she was from the US Government Grant program and told me I was randomly selected for a grant of $10,000 dollars. She told me she could give me cash or directly deposit the money to my account. I jokingly told her to send a check through the mail and she said, "Have a nice day" and hung up on me. Obviously this is a scam. Don't give out your information. Anytime you see a private number and they are asking for your bank information... DON'T GIVE IT OUT. Common sense.

Original review: July 14, 2017

So I got a call yesterday from a Ronald ** saying I've been selected in receiving 6,000 some free money because I have a clean record and then said I had to call this number and give a caller id. I said I wouldn't be able to and he said to call tomorrow, meaning today, and I was like okay but I was pretty sure it was a scam since I was able to call yesterday. I just didn't want to. Well today in the morning I had a missed call from that number and was like yeah this is definitely a scam but I called the number anyway. The line kept ringing and then it went busy. So I was like whatever I tried again and it did the same. After that I decided to look it up and came across this... lol knew it was a scam but it real true like hell yeah 6000 would do a lot in my favor.

Original review: July 13, 2017

I had 3 missed calls from a number from New York. I called back and a man whom barely spoke English said I had been selected for a $9,000 grant. I asked where he was from and he would not answer. He just kept saying the government. Then finally he said he was from Washington DC lol. While he was asking me for my name and birth date I was Googling because this did NOT sound legit. The IRS will never contact you via phone, why would some anonymous branch of the government want to call lil ol me?

Luckily for me, this site with these reviews popped up. Instead of answering his questions, I said "Ya know, I'm reading something online right now that says you're a scammer soo..." and he said "No worries ma'am! We will cut the line!" and he hung up. I laughed for like 5 minutes lol. Thanks so much for sharing your experience so that I did not get sucked into a scam that would drain the little bit of money I do have. I hope these reviews help others too. I would like to rate them with negative stars please lol. :p

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business