Government Grant Scams

1917 Government Grant Scams Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 23, 2019

I just got a call from a 5126080774. James **. And yes I fell for it. Did not give my bank info but I did give my address. Supposedly 4-5 days UOP should deliver my check. Which I don’t have to pay back. Of course I’m not sighing for anything. Am I in trouble?

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I have been called from a number from New York saying that I've won a 9,000.00 grant and that it was in the New York national reserve bank and he made me buy a Google Play 300 gift card and I gave him the number and he supposedly connected me to the bank and that person gave me 3 authorization codes that I needed to unlock paying a $499 bank fee but I didn't pay it. How can I recover my 300 dollars? Please help. It all happened today. I feel so stupid.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

A man with an Asian accent called to tell me I received a $9,000 grant from the president. I acted as if I were fooled, so I stuck around to receive my reference number, which was a series of random numbers. Then he gave me my ID number, which I clearly remember as F as in friend, U as in under, C as in crown, K as in king, Y as in your, O as in out, and U as in under. I confirmed multiple times that my ID number was "**," which he nonchalantly said was the case. He then said "goodbye for now" and the call ended. Best spam call of my life.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I got a call from *11 number that said her name was susie **. She told me that cause i had no criminal record which i do and some other reasons i was selected by the government to receive a government grant. She then gave me an approval number and a phone number to call. She said she was worked for the verification department and gave me an approval number that was k,N,1107 then hung up. I called the number and a lady that said her name was jenny ** answered and said i could do money gram or put money on a ccr card i could buy at dollar general for $200 then i hung up and proceeded to look it up on my phone and found all this.

Original review: March 31, 2019

FRAUD ALERT! Beware of Filipino-sounding (Asian with broken English) calls with a Wash. DC number (i.e. 202-751-8374 in this case) telling you they are from the Dept. of Health and Human Services or whatever they might choose. And that you have been chosen to receive $14,500 or possibly another figure close, simply because you've paid your taxes on time, never been bankrupt, never been convicted of a crime, etc. I checked the scam alerts and found similar attempts. They will try and get your credit card info, bank info (to deposit the money), etc. And if you accuse them of being what they are FRAUDS, they try make you think you are losing the "grant." Be warned. "If it's too good to be true, it likely is." I knew it was fraudulent when they claimed stuff that wasn't true about my credit history.

How do I know I can trust these reviews?

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I received a call from a man named Robert who said he was calling from the Treasury Department to tell me I had been selected to receive a $9000 grant with no responsibility to repay. I asked him immediately if this was a scam and of course he said no. All I had to do was go to Walmart to collect the money. That was the extent of the instructions he gave me. I went online to the Better Business Bureau as well as online to confirm my belief that this is a SCAM! As a retired federal employee, I know that the government doesn't do business this way. Don't fall for this too good to be true situation.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

11.27.2018 got a call from David **. 202.627.0047 ext 1570. I had been selected to receive a free grant never to be paid back for being a model citizen. 7000.00 dollars. All I had to do was got to Walmart and pay Walmart a service fee of 250.00 which would be refunded so my total payout would be 7250.00. Wow what a deal. Even got a mtid# **. Dept. Federal grants department. Location. Washington D.C. 20201. This is a total scam. It is happening again folks.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Scammers called from: 202.857.5692. The number they want you to call is 202.643.3057. Didn't call because I am too smart for it. : ) There is no $9,000 grant people! Don't fall for it! Said I qualified for a bunch of reasons (one which doesn't apply to me!). Keep in mind: Nobody will ever require money to get money. Pray No One Falls for this.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Today I received a telephone call from 425-448-9424, caller ID said Washington, caller was a female that informed me that the U.S GOVERNMENT had awarded me a grant of $10,000 based on the US Recovery Act, because Indiana has a low poverty rate and the government wants to put money back into our economy and I was one of 1700 lucky people. "How would you like to receive your money, Western Union, your personal banking account or one of your prepaid cards..." Now folks listen up. I know this is a scam! Point. Peroid. Blank.

She proceeded to tell me that I needed to call 202-813-9390 and give them my grant award #**. Congratulations congratulations Good Bye... Now it gets worse, I received 4 different calls today regarding the same line of **, of course different telephone numbers. Like one of the numbers is from an "Intercontinental Hotel Group" because I called it back to see who was calling and I had a feeling it was some sort of scam and it's important to share this information.

Then the last call was from John **, calling from this Intercontinental Hotel Group number and I said, "Well John I have made a boatload of cash today from Uncle Sam." He said, "Uh uh what do you mean"? I said, "John understand this, I am a woman and I bet the President or at the very least, any UNITED STATES OF AMERICAN would appreciate hearing about this opportunity scam you are calling me with and if you call me again and I will crawl through this phone and take care of you myself from calling here or anyone else, so help me God." Click went the phone and I haven't received any more calls. HOW TO STOP THIS NONSENSE NUISANCE ONCE AND FOR ALL? EXCEPT report report report, block block block known numbers and scam...

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Just a few minutes ago I received a phone call from the United States Grants Department and spoke to an Eric ** claiming that I was chosen to receive $3,200 that is non-taxable and that I don't have to pay back. He had said that I qualified because I have been a good citizen, a loyal taxpayer, and had no criminal background (mind you I just got off of probation less than a month ago). At first I thought it was actually legit because I have applied for a grant for school however the person I spoke to spoke broken English, and gave me a reference number and a phone number to call back that was the exact same number that he was calling from.

The first red flag was when he said I have no criminal background seeing as how I just got off of probation, and second I have been very aware of the process that takes for a grant for school, with grants for school everything I use that grant for has to go towards school. He then proceeded to tell me I could use a grant for whatever I wanted and then asked me what I was going to use it for. Out of curiosity I called the number back and spoke to another guy who also spoke broken English and ask me the same questions the first guy asked me. Then asked me where I wanted to pick the money up from and I had told him that I cannot go anywhere right now because I'm waiting for a friend at the doctors then had said well what do you want me to do about it and then hung up on me

Original review: July 24, 2018

Hi, I received a call stating that I had randomly been selected from the government grant lottery, That I qualified for $ 9,700. Since I was always on time with the bills and no criminal background recently in the past 6 months. Gave a tracking # and a Grant ID # and call back number, yeah It’s a scam! They even give you a choice where you want to pick it up! Grant Money??? You have to apply and it takes a process. By the way phone number started area code (352). Don’t Fall for it. Nothing good comes out of too good to be true free money! Be careful. They are very persuasive. And also had a Indian accent, could barely understand his English.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I received a call from an Unknown caller. The lady who did not speak English well told me that I was one of 1700 people who had been selected to receive $9,000 from the US Government because I pay my taxes on time and have no criminal record. LOL. She told me to call another number and give them my specific activation code. Naturally, I am not going to do this. After reading several similar reviews, others have received these calls too. A complete scam.

Original review: July 6, 2018

Like many I too received a phone call from UNKNOWN 10000000 to elaborate. English name "Marcus" but Indian accent said I been awarded $9,200 dollars from the government grant department. Just verified it was indeed me & not no one else pretending to be me or he would lose his job. LOL ok. Directed me instructions on how to get grant. Gave me a 5 digit "grant ID" so he said and a (202) call back number so that they could instruct me on how to go about receiving my award grant. Asked me how would I like to receive it. Gave a list of places. I responded Western Union. Ok just call that number and if I needed they would stay on the line with me thru the whole process. He asked me the distance from me to Western Union. I responded when that time passed plus a bit more LOL.

I am a single parent. I couldn't just up and go yell "yeeepeee!". No. I have responsibilities to my child. Well he called back "unknown" 10000000 but I was creating this profile because I might be super busy and sometimes forget things but hell no. I was not born yesterday. It smelled "fishy scam" from the beginning. His name "Marcus" but Indian accent. Come on. LMAO. Plus when I asked why the restricted call ID. Replied for his security. LOL yea. I bet your security, LOL meaning so he won't get caught. Hope this helps ON THESE GRANT SCAMS.

I am with many here. Our government is not in the business of whatever for giving away "so called grants" just like that over the phone at that. SO SCAMMERS PLEASE we know what's up. Ok. EITHER GO ASK FOR FORGIVENESS OR GET A REAL JOB! And don't say your country don't have jobs either. 'Cause people make jobs if your country got people than you have jobs. No matter if good, bad, ugly, rich, poor people make jobs! Thank you.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I received a call from what they said to be the treasury grant fund department. They said my name was randomly picked to receive a grant that was tax free and don't have to repay. He said it was to help me keep debt free and had to be spent wisely. Then proceeded to ask me what I would use it for and asked if I had any questions. He then said he was giving me an access code and I was to call the same number he called from and give them the access code to activate the process. I called the number. Talked to a guy named Jack and gave his last name. Practically told me the same thing as the other guy. But he said to call him when I got to the store that had Western Union. He did give a choice to put it on a prepaid credit card/debit or direct deposit.

Not thinking at time and on a fixed income and not checking account or prepaid card, I said Western Union. But with the number he gave me an extension so the call would be directed right to him. The grant was for $9000. I went to Walmart, called the number and extension and all I got was a recording even stating they were the Treasury Grant and Funds Department, not thinking of the time difference in California where the call came from. So we waited for a half hour, decided to come home. I told myself to see if they were a Grant scam/fraud going around. So when they called back I asked if there was a fee I had to pay to receive my money. They said I had to get a prepaid card or use debit to pay $100 activation to process the money through Western Union and another $600 to process an application before I could receive anything.

I'm not urge if people noticed like I did. But the first call came from Washington D.C. and no one even spoke the hang up with a (202) area code, then a (315) area code from Oswego, NY and last number was of a (530) area code from California. All calls were within 3 minutes apart and they were coming from the areas where the Treasury departments are but not the Treasury itself. (530) area code was the only number that was working number and talked to someone. Please don't fall for it like I almost did. They can get into trouble for taking the money but the money you would be receiving would be stealing and get into more trouble than they would.

Original review: June 20, 2018

So, I was looking for a loan to consolidate my bills and get my son braces and I put my info in one site and after that the constant phone calls from all over the U.S. I always blocked or ignored but a Washington Dc # came and I answered considering I live in Maryland. It was a foreign lady saying that I was specially chosen to receive a $9000 grant from the government that I did not have to pay back ever. Lightbulb should have appeared over my head then, but being so broke I just being needed that 9000. She told me to call a different number with a grant # just for me **.

I called and another woman was on the phone, she repeated a lot, same as below... I knew better than to give out my checking acct so when they said Money Gram to get a prepaid card for $200 and I would get $9200 when I picked it up. She gave me another # and extension to call when I got to CVS. I got the card but it ended up being $650 at the end of everything and doing exactly as they requested (taxes on the grant etc). I mean I spent 4 hrs, had a mini panic attack and cried! It's hard to believe people think it's ok to straight up steal. May we forgive them and learn never to be like them. Until June I am completely broke and a single Mom and if I didn't have my faith I don't know how I wouldn't of broken down today. I have no idea what to do.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Reviewed telephone call (347-709-3172) from a man who said his name was Larry from USX Federal Grant Department. He stated I was selected to receive a $9000 grant because being a good responsible citizen with no criminal records, paid bills, taxes, etc. Supposedly, this was a grant that would have to be re-paid and tax free. Furthermore, he stated an activation code ** must be given to his co-worker to continue the process. He said that I must immediately call his co-worker Marie ** at (202) 656-5305 upon hanging up with him for further instructions on how to obtain the $9000 grant.

Out of curiosity, called 202-656-5305, a female identified herself as Marie **. She asked for, activation code **, and then asked how. Where do you want to receive grant of $9000, a cost of $290 must be used to purchase a Federal Reserve registration card at Wal-Mart. She asked how long it would take to go to closest Wal-Mart, and call her back upon arrival in Wal-Mart parking for my protection. Then she would give further instructions because she must be on the line walking you through entire process. SCAM WAS WRITTEN ALL OVER THIS. CONSUMERS BEWARE OF SUCH CALLS.

Original review: June 14, 2018

After several calls from a 9143395191 and various other versions of this number coming up as Kaur **. Broken English, could hardly understand her, (reverse phone search says number is New York) but she says Texas. Apparently since I have paid bills on time, paid taxes, no BK13 in 6 months the Federal Gov. recommended me for a 9700$$ grant. No cost to me of course, it was a grant. Recommended Western Union at Publix or Walgreens or Walmart. Call Daniel ** at 3476069117, give ref. code and pick up $$ at Walmart. Call him back when I get there. I did and he assured me that he had the reference code for my grant but that the Federal Reserve rules said I needed to purchase a Federally funded application first. I was to pay $200 for the application using Google Play or iTunes cards at $50.00 increments.

When I started asking ?? about why would the FR need Google cards, he said they used those because the $$ on the cards cannot be used to take advantage of me. When I ask for proof he became angry and starting tell me to listen to him! He knew what I needed and he would stay on the phone with me until I got my grant. When I got the $$ I would get my 200.00 back at the same time. I just needed to prove to the Federal Reserve that I was a citizen. His English was broken and he sounded Middle Easterner. I ask the Customer Service Rep about the Google Play cards and He started being very abusive to me on the phone. I ask to speak to the Supervisor, tried to be really nice and her English was so heavily accented that I could not understand much of what she was saying.

Except that I should trust the Federal Reserve and the government and that I should not be questioning the employees like they were not trustworthy. I ask for documentation to be sent to my phone or my email. I told her if it was legit she would be able to do that and she said I would get all the paperwork by courier the next day! Uh huh. I again ask for some documentation, I was told that the government wasn't going anywhere and when I pulled my head out of my ** and called back with the G.D. cards I could have my grant money! Then she hung up. Scam. Scam!

Original review: June 7, 2018

I got a call from a lady with a heavy accent that said I am the selected few to get a grant. She intended that it was free and no money had to be paid back. She asked for a bank account card number to wire the money and to put a 4 dollar hold first.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I just got a call from a lady with a very heavy Chinese accent. She told me I was gonna receive a grants for 9200 because of a survey I filled out and because I have paid my taxes and I don’t get in trouble and never filed bankruptcy. Then I ask what do I spend the money on thinking maybe it’s a grant for college. Well she said I can spend it on anything other than drugs or illegal things. Then she gave me a code and a phone number I am supposed to call to set up for me to get the money. I didn’t call back because no one gives free money away. So if someone calls you saying this, don’t believe it. They called from Washington DC.

Original review: April 5, 2018

Just got a call from this lady named Kelly ** and told me that she has 9 Grand for me. My money was in the Federal Reserve Bank just had to go to Western Union and send 200. I said, "Cool. You got it. Be there in a hour." "Do you understand why you are getting this money?" I said, "No!" "You have not been in No trouble in the past 6 months and you pay your bills on time." Red light went off. I just came home from prison and don't have anything in my name. So how do I get the chance to get free money. Just street smarts jumping into play.

Today has been a very funny day. She told me to call her outside of the Walgreens and follow instructions. I thought it was a nerd that hacked the system and putting cash in random people's pocket. That was 2 hours ago. No Government will have you pay for something that is giving to you. Please be safe and enjoy the money you do have don't just give it away. Give it to me if that's the case. I just came home from prison. Her # is 646-975-9464 code is cb245.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I received a call April 4, 2018 about a $9,000 "Government grant" from 220-004-14004 saying this was John **, foreign accent, that I had been a loyal taxpayer, had not had a bankruptcy in the last 6 months etc, and that I qualified for free money, $9,000 grant that did not need paid back. I was to call 202-681-3107 and give a code MT142 and I would be told how to receive my money. His name was Alex **, he told me to go to WalMart or Walgreens to get my money from Western Union. He gave me 3 activation codes and said I had to call him when I got to WalMart and pay $100, then I would receive my 1st payment of $3,000. Do not give them any personal info, it is a scam and I hope they get caught.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I just received a call saying I was chosen to receive $9,000 grant from the government to pay for necessary bills, school, etc. and given an ID # to give to another number. I was supposed to call immediately after hanging up. It was 202-780-7522 & he said if I call the acct manager would tell me which Western Union place I could pick up the cash. I immediately googled and found this site and the post back on March of 2018, sounded the exact same, except I didn't call the number as instructed, since I found this. He also spoke broken English and had the wrong zip code.

Original review: March 8, 2018

CSR called me and stated, "I was selected to receive a $9,000.00 Free Federal Grant." We verified information about myself which was incorrect, he did not speak clear English but I listened to what he had to say. He explained to me why I was chosen etc... I got as much information from the call because my brother googled the name (scam alert). I was given an ID # a phone, name and address. To collect my free Grant Money they transfer cash in a Thur the store transaction. He rattled off several stores where I would go to Customer Service complete forms Money Receiving Forms with my info Grant ID # etc. I was told to call back right away and speak to a manager and request Receive Grant Money.

The lady I spoke to again did not speak or understand English well. She got very angry at me and started yelling at me. At that point I expressed and confronted her of this being a scam. I told her I am going to report all this and she hung up on me. I went a little further to express how I felt and called back 3 times in which 2 hung up on me. My 3rd time the CSR went into unkind details about how he felt and spoke unkind things. This is unbelievable how they feel good about scamming you and will do and say things that are unkind. We don't need this fake stuff and hopefully will be shut down asap.

Original review: March 7, 2018

Received a call from 646-000-0004 this a.m. telling me that I was chosen for a free government grant for $9,000.00 and every year the government picks random taxpayers for this free grant. They go so far as to giving you a ID# and even asking you how you would like to receive your money. They then give you a number to call and tell you to give the money ID# when you call them. They then tell you that you must stay on the phone with them and you pay a 1 time registration fee. Your money is a large amount and it is coming from the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. I listened so that may get as much information as possible. The second number I was to call was 646-975-9464. Mark ** the name used by someone with a heavy accent haha. People beware. They want you to give your info or send them a 1 time fee of $200.00 that you will get back. DON’T DO THIS. GIVE NO PERSONAL INFO.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

Got a call from an 800-898-4532 number and they left a message to call (253) 205-8957. Said I was randomly selected to receive a free grant from the US gov't for 10,000 no payback free grant. The name the male used was Kevin ** and had a foreign accent. I called the number and a female answered also foreign accent. Said I am eligible for a free grant and would have the supervisor call back to verify my info and send it to Walmart to Walmart money transfer. Would have to bring $250 with me to pay the fees or something like that. They said I qualify because I pay my bills on time, taxes on time, no illegal activity (how could anyone know this if you're random selected). SCAM SCAM SCAM.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

So I just got a call for a free grant and this is what he said. He said he was with federal government and that I was picked for a free grant and all I would have to do is answer four questions dishonestly by lying but I am Christian and that is against my belief plus I actually do want to go back to school. So my question is seeing I told the school people yes someone called and told me what to say, am I still able to go back to school for business and will I still be eligible for a grant? If not why not and what can I do to fix it?

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Just received a phone call from 202-345-6781. ID said Washington DC. Stated he was from the Federal Grant Central Treasury Dept. Said I had received a $9000 dollar Grant. I asked why and it's because I have paid my taxes on time every year and not filed bankruptcy in the last 6 months. Gave me an information ID number TA211 and another number to call 315-636-0077. I called the number and a recording stated to say my name and Google would place the call. Nobody answered, which was a shame because I really wanted to blast them.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Same number 4x while at work: 303-698-4167. When I picked up the phone a lady obviously from a country in Africa, with much broken English began her script. When asked to take me off of her list, she got irate and began talking vulgar. In disbelief that any agency would have or allow someone to speak in ways that was not only offensive but illegal (verbal assault) she repressed herself. And said when people spoke to her in such a way she is forced to speak to them that way. Merely responded by, "I simply asked you to remove me from your list." She then asked me If I was a “vulgar” face. Her name was along the lines of Win, or Wilma... Again complete scam, broken English and bad scam artist, horrible manners, even for a hoax.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

Beware, beware, BEWARE!!! of this number coming through on your phone 202-123-5546. The person on the other end will say they are from the government. And because you have no criminal record, bankruptcy within the past five months and have been paying your bills and taxes on time you have been randomly picked from a governmental database to receive $9,200 which you do not have to pay back. Wow! Sounds great. You are given a control number and another phone number which they say is their accountant. I noticed after each sentence they said "alright" the person asks how would you like to receive your money. Options are in your bank saving, debt account or you can pick your money up at Walmart, Walgreens. But first you must call this number 1-240-233-4415. The personal accountant person who will ask for your ID number and proceed to tell you about a $200.00 dollar fee that must be paid first.

Steven was his name and he went on and on and on about this grant money and the $200.00. Well to say the least I had enough and began asking questions like what state was he from. He said Washington, D.C. the Capital. I informed him that my caller I.D. stated that he was located in Maryland and that Washington D.C. number starts with 202. Further, the first number does not take incoming calls. The Government allows for both in and out calls. Steven cursed at me, and then hung up but not before I told him that I knew this was a scam and that he should be ashamed of himself preying on people. As we all know the government does not do business that way. Ask questions. Get as much information as needed to be able to report them. This has to stop. So many people are vulnerable and are on hard times and would be the ones to fall for scams like this.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I had been receiving calls from a California # that I never answered. Today they called from Michigan saying that I was approved for a 9,200 grant. The guy was Indian or Middle Eastern. He proceeded to read from a script about how I can go to Walmart and pick up my grant money to which I told him that if Uncle Sam wanted me with some of his money, he would mail it to me. He gave me some I.D. number and another phone number to call once I got to Walmart. This is a scam, if the government wanted you with money they would mail it to you.