Government Grant Scams

1921 Government Grant Scams Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 26, 2019

26/07/19 I received a call from 202 469 3721. The person calling was a male named James (speaks fluent English), he was talking to me about the loyalty grants of 9000$ which I got selected to receive. At first, I thought it was a scam, so I decided not to share any of my personal information. But he told me about how I received this, and about the survey the government conducted, I thought I shouldn't give any of my personal information which they already had... Don't know how but well I just went with the flow And he gave me a money confirmation code and a callback number... I was so desperate of getting some loans so I just decided I should give it a try.

So right after hanging up, I called up the senior accountant manager's number, He asked me for my code, I did give him. Then he asked me how I'd like to receive my money though Walmart, MoneyGram, or directly in my account and told me I would receive my money in about 5-10 minutes. I decided I should go for Walmart... And one good thing, He didn't ask me for any registration fee. Soon after 10 minutes, I lost hope and Decided to get going home. When he called up right when I was walking home. And told me to walk back to Walmart and told me to give another code to the guy in charge there. I gave him the code, And guess what, I did receive my 9000$.

They may have been many other scams, But not all are scams. I really give my gratitude to the person in charge there. Now I paid my bills, and I'm still left with the money I received... Guess I'm pretty lucky. But not all calls are from the Grants Department... Most are scams. I'm just gonna say, know how to pick the right person and ignore the wrong. :)

Original review: June 3, 2019

3rd June 2019. Hello everyone! Today around 10:43 am, I received unknown & unidentified call. I received the call and the calling person was male. He said me that I had won the $ 9000. Further he told me that, "We are from the government. You are a lucky winner. You can do anything you want. You do not have to repay it back." He provided me a code with telephone number to receive the cash from Western Union. He asked me the following question to me as follows:

1. Spell your name?
2. Do you have bank account?
3. what is your zip code?
4. Is it your mobile no?
5. Are you married?

6. Is this your email address?

I was aware about it. So I did not believe him. Please do not give your personal information. Please stay from such scams. Please! Stay safe! Take care! Have a nice day. Your friend???? Roshan **.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I just got a call from a 5126080774. James **. And yes I fell for it. Did not give my bank info but I did give my address. Supposedly 4-5 days UOP should deliver my check. Which I don’t have to pay back. Of course I’m not sighing for anything. Am I in trouble?

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I have been called from a number from New York saying that I've won a 9,000.00 grant and that it was in the New York national reserve bank and he made me buy a Google Play 300 gift card and I gave him the number and he supposedly connected me to the bank and that person gave me 3 authorization codes that I needed to unlock paying a $499 bank fee but I didn't pay it. How can I recover my 300 dollars? Please help. It all happened today. I feel so stupid.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

A man with an Asian accent called to tell me I received a $9,000 grant from the president. I acted as if I were fooled, so I stuck around to receive my reference number, which was a series of random numbers. Then he gave me my ID number, which I clearly remember as F as in friend, U as in under, C as in crown, K as in king, Y as in your, O as in out, and U as in under. I confirmed multiple times that my ID number was "**," which he nonchalantly said was the case. He then said "goodbye for now" and the call ended. Best spam call of my life.

How do I know I can trust these reviews?

Original review: July 9, 2019

Hi, I just want anyone else who gets the phone call to see this... I got a call from 2024948041, it was a guy with an Indian accent saying I got a $9000 grant from the federal government. Asked my name and zip code (first one he gave was wrong, I had to correct it) and confirmed my email. He told me to call back 3155631180 and gave me a code (FO261). Second guy gave me code SO261. Said I could go to Walgreens and get my $9000, but of COURSE there's a catch. He wanted me to buy some sort of card for $200 at any store, something to do with Western Union bank. He said I'd get $200 back within 5 minutes because it's just a "security deposit" (yeah right... They essentially wanted me to buy a $200 prepaid debit card and give them the numbers so they can make $200 off of me.)

The second guy gave me his name, he said he was Edward Freeman. Did my research and realized it was a scam as I had assumed. I don't think they ever give you legit grants over the phone, my dudes. Anyway, called him back. Politely told him what he was doing was unethical, that I felt for him because he probably needed the money from this job but it still isn't right and it's wasting people's time.

He gave me a website to "prove" it's real. www.cov.grants.com (not even a .gov, obviously). That didn't work so I repeated the website and he said, "Oh it's www.grants.cov.com" (That one didn't work either. Literally it said website not reached on Google Chrome.) Frustratedly I said that's not even a real website, I'd tell you guys to try harder but honestly I just don't want you trying to scam any more people. I told him to think hard about quitting his job because I'm sure he can find an ethical way to make money. He hung up on me while I was explaining why I didn't approve of their illegal "business model". Please, don't do this. DO NOT give them a card number for any gift card/debit card, don't give them your bank account info either. They don't deserve your money.

Original review: June 26, 2019

Foreign males calling me all day lied about 9000 dollar grant scam telling me I was selected to receive Federal Government Grant because I'm a good citizen. Gave me 3 choices to receive my free 9000 grant. Gave me a activation code and a phone number to call to get lied to again. That's when the second male foreigner told me to register with the purchase of Google Play card 250 dollars. I laughed and hung up. First calls were private number. Second person number was 512-234-4044.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I got a call from *11 number that said her name was susie **. She told me that cause i had no criminal record which i do and some other reasons i was selected by the government to receive a government grant. She then gave me an approval number and a phone number to call. She said she was worked for the verification department and gave me an approval number that was k,N,1107 then hung up. I called the number and a lady that said her name was jenny ** answered and said i could do money gram or put money on a ccr card i could buy at dollar general for $200 then i hung up and proceeded to look it up on my phone and found all this.

Original review: March 31, 2019

FRAUD ALERT! Beware of Filipino-sounding (Asian with broken English) calls with a Wash. DC number (i.e. 202-751-8374 in this case) telling you they are from the Dept. of Health and Human Services or whatever they might choose. And that you have been chosen to receive $14,500 or possibly another figure close, simply because you've paid your taxes on time, never been bankrupt, never been convicted of a crime, etc. I checked the scam alerts and found similar attempts. They will try and get your credit card info, bank info (to deposit the money), etc. And if you accuse them of being what they are FRAUDS, they try make you think you are losing the "grant." Be warned. "If it's too good to be true, it likely is." I knew it was fraudulent when they claimed stuff that wasn't true about my credit history.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I received a call from a man named Robert who said he was calling from the Treasury Department to tell me I had been selected to receive a $9000 grant with no responsibility to repay. I asked him immediately if this was a scam and of course he said no. All I had to do was go to Walmart to collect the money. That was the extent of the instructions he gave me. I went online to the Better Business Bureau as well as online to confirm my belief that this is a SCAM! As a retired federal employee, I know that the government doesn't do business this way. Don't fall for this too good to be true situation.