1.13/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Zyrtec

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Zyrtec Reviews

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

Our 2 years daughter with eczema has been prescribed with Zytrec. This is the worst drug ever and we can't believe it our daughter's allergic Doctor prescribed her with this garbage. On her first day she slept well without any problem but the following three nights have been like a pain. She will sleep for two hours and wake up again for another 4 hours with scratching her body nonstop and feeling great discomfort until she will go back to sleep again. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. It's almost 4 am in the morning, I'm supposed to be sleeping now but our daughter woke me up and when I found this forum about the drug as I started searching I couldn't help but writing the review.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

I’ve been taking Zyrtec for over 10 years. I started taking it for itching that started after I had my first baby. I have tried to get off of it multiple times. I only take 5mg daily now. I realize I started it for random itching but I’ve tried switching to other antihistamines and only Zyrtec cures the itch. Which nearly proves that Zyrtec is the one causing it at this point.

Get expert buying tips about Allergy Medicine delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

I have been taking Zyrtec for about 10 years now. This is the third time I've tried to stop taking it. The first two times I tried to quit I just stopped cold turkey. By the second day I began itching. Not really itching, but kind of tingling. The itching/tingling was unbearable so I began taking it again. Recently I was stung by a bee and had a terrible reaction. My doctor referred me to an allergist for testing. I have to be off the Zyrtec before I can be tested. So this time I tried weaning off it. I took half a pill every day for a week. I was feeling pretty good about my chances this time because I wasn't terribly itchy/tingly.

But once I stopped taking it, the itching/tingling started again. My face, shoulders, arms, under my breasts, hips, upper thighs, and knees are itching/tingling terribly. I'm trying hard to not scratch, but I'm covered in bruises because I just just can't stop. I haven been able to find anything to calm the itching/tingling. Nothing helps. I know if I would just break down and take a pill it be fine in minutes, but I can't do that. I'm praying this stops soon. I'm miserable.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

I started taking Zyrtec around 15 years ago. I was put on it by my allergist because I had severe allergies and asthma. It seemed to help the allergies. The doctors took me off it around 6 months of taking it. Trying to get a different combination of meds to help my asthma as well. After being off it for more than a day, I broke out in horrible extremely itchy hives. So I was put back on it and have been taking it daily until about a year ago, I realized I was still taking it and didn’t feel like I needed to because the allergies were better. Not even 24 hours and I got very nauseous with a really bad headache and was sick to my stomach. The itching came in full force too. I didn’t get the hives this time but, the itching was so severe! It was mainly in my palms, feet, and face. I knew all this was coming from not taking Zyrtec because that was the only change.

The symptoms got so bad I had to take one and within an hour I felt completely better. I was determined to get off this awful pill. So I gradually weaned off, cutting it into a half, a quarter, even down to a quarter of a quarter. It took almost a year to get completely off Zyrtec. Some of the withdrawal symptoms stopped but I still have severe itching in my scalp. I’ve been off Zyrtec almost 3 months and my scalp still itches. I’m hoping it just takes time for histamine levels to balance out or whatever needs to happen for the body to get back to normal. I’m desperate for the itching to stop but I would never take Zyrtec again. I mentioned this to my doctor and they act like I’m crazy. The only verification I've got is through other people’s reviews.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

Do not start taking this drug if you can help it. The withdrawal if you ever stop taking it once you have started is unbearable. Sporadic and then constant itchiness, all over your body is the result. There is no warning on the label for the over the counter version in the US, even though other countries like the Netherlands require it. For me, every time I attempted to stop taking it, the itching started within 3 days - my legs, my scalp, my arms, my stomach, everywhere. And no, I never experienced any kind of itching allergy before I started taking it. My pharmacist recommended it for a runny nose that I couldn’t get rid of. I have woken up with bruises and bloody scratches from trying to relieve the itch in my sleep. I tried weaning myself off, but could never get past taking it at least every 3 days. Currently attempting to switch to a different antihistamine to ride out the itching and make it to the other side of this hell.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zyrtec?

Original review: July 20, 2019

I took Zyrtec for 4-5 years after starting it to go along with allergy shots. Every time I've tried going off it in the past 2 years, I get itching of my palms and soles of my feet within 48 hours. The itching is intense. Currently trying to taper it using **. This is ridiculous. It is insane that neither Zyrtec or the FDA have addressed this as a side effect. There are thousands of people reporting the same online.

Original review: July 13, 2019

I have been on Zyrtec then switched to ** by allergist for hives. It's been 6 years or so and I wanted to try and stop the meds. Every time I tried I could not go 24 hrs without my hands turning red and incredibly itchy that I would scratch until I bleed. I would not recommend anyone to start or use this medicine. Had I known it would be like this I would've never started!!!!

Original review: July 13, 2019

I first tried quitting Zyrtec ** in February 2012. I'd been taking it since sometime in 2009, best I can remember -- after it became available over the counter. I never had a prescription for it. I switched to Zyrtec because ** wasn't doing enough to combat my respiratory allergy symptoms anymore, and Zyrtec was billed as the new OTC wonder allergy drug. When my doctor added ** to my asthma regimen, he told me to continue taking the Zyrtec because the two drugs block different histamine receptors. It worked so well I didn't have any reason to question it until February 2012, when an annual checkup revealed elevated blood pressure. One of the things that can cause that is OTC allergy meds, so I decided to drop the Zyrtec and see if that helped.

I was fine the first day, but on the second morning I got out of bed and my feet immediately began to itch abominably, tops and bottoms. It was as though I had an invisible, excruciating heat rash. I also had less maddening, but still very irritating, itching over the rest of my body. My feet and my hands -- especially my palms -- continued to itch badly off and on all that day, and the rest of my body followed suit, though not as intensely. By dinnertime, I was suspicious because quitting Zyrtec was the only thing that had changed in my routine. So I went online and did some searching.

I found more than just a few people having the same problem. And not just the itching! Zyrtec had also affected me mentally. Depression, rage issues, fatigue -- all these things had crept over me through the years I was taking the drug, and I hadn't even realized it. I didn't want to get out and do things. I was very short with my family members. I felt angry all the time. I didn't want to get up in the morning because nothing seemed worth being awake. I didn't even realize this was happening until I weaned myself off Zyrtec and realized my entire personality and outlook had improved. Zyrtec had been killing me inside and I didn't even know it until I started reading others' horror stories.

The next day I went to the local Walgreens pharmacy and spoke to the pharmacist, who told me itching is not a normal side effect of quitting Zyrtec. His recommendation was to "just keep taking the Zyrtec," and if I was serious about quitting, I should wean myself with half a pill for a week or two, then drop down to a quarter pill. Considering the number of testimonials I'd read in the previous 18 hours about the itching side effects alone, I wanted to punch him when he told me to keep taking it. Thankfully, not even the Zyrtec could turn me into THAT kind of person.

At least his weaning-off advice sounded good, so I did, starting with half a pill per day for a couple weeks, then a quarter, then none. By sometime in April 2012, I was completely off Zyrtec, but it was a very difficult transition, and improvement over the following months was terribly slow. Now, more than seven full years after kicking it, I still experience the itching sensation at least once a week on my feet, palms, and upper chest/neck area. Sometimes it happens for no apparent reason. Other times it seems to be triggered by heat or high emotion (or both). Sometimes just stepping into bright sunlight makes me break out in a rash.

Let me be very, very clear: I never, EVER, had problems like these before taking Zyrtec. I took it for respiratory allergy symptoms only. I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I'll probably never be completely symptom-free, physically speaking. I believe Zyrtec did things to my nervous system that are irreparable. And it often seems as though the only people who completely believe me are those who are suffering/have suffered through Zyrtec withdrawal themselves. But we're not imagining it, and obviously, we're not alone.

Original review: June 6, 2019

I have been taking Zyrtec for more than 3 years now, at the advice of several medical professionals who assured me there are no issues with long term usage. I was diagnosed with chronic hives cause unknown, to think back upon the reasoning for using Zyrtec in the first place could have just been something in the air that day. If I would have known that stopping Zyrtec causes truly unbearable itching I would have never started taking it in the first place. If I stop taking it for 2-3 days the itching and pain begins, starting in my hands generally, a dull aching burning pain consumes my skin. In 4 days pain begins over my entire body. So far I've never been able to go for more than 4 days without taking Zyrtec (except one time). I've reached 3-4 days several times. I've given up and taken a Zyrtec. Shortly after taking a pill I'm back to feeling "normal" or without pain I guess you could say.

I've reached the 3-4 day milestone several times and have tried taking other allergy medicine to stop the pain/itching but for some reason nothing helps except Zyrtec. I've been quit off cigarettes/nicotine for more than 6 years now. This withdrawal experience with Zyrtec reminds me of nicotine withdrawal. Unfortunately the pain associated with Zyrtec withdrawal is beyond anything I could ever explain. I was only able to reach 4-5 days one time before my entire body felt like it was being stabbed with sharp knives in random spots. It was so bad I considered going to the emergency room, but I caved. I took a Zyrtec and magically I felt better again. I've spent several weeks researching how to remove ** from my life. I wish there were real warnings out there and that people knew the possible dangers of taking **.

The fact that Zyrtec (**) treats itching but can cause even worse itching as a withdrawal symptom is extremely worrisome. I hate that the FDA takes its sweet time to issue any warnings on things that are so serious. I'm guessing this withdrawal issue affects more long-term users trying to get off of it than it does the normal person taking it for 1-3 days and then stopping without issues. I've suffered some extreme pain moments in my life, but none as painful as ** withdrawal. The physical pain and symptoms are extreme, a solid 10/10 on the doctor pain scale.

Original review: July 8, 2019

I started taking Zyrtec roughly 1 year ago and have decided to request allergy shots to help me. I’ve also decided I prefer to not take meds for allergies. I’ve come off Zyrtec now for 3 days and have been having a terrible headache and itching all over. The itch is like a pin prick and hurts. You can’t stop the itch no matter what you do. I don’t see anyone else mentioning the headache but I do have one. I’m also nauseous. I’m chalking it all up to withdrawals and it’s not fun. I don’t know why this isn’t discussed when you’re prescribed it. My ENT put me on it. I’ll be discussing this with my allergist in a week when I have my allergy testing done again. This stuff is terrible. But YES it helped my allergies but doesn’t seem to be helping after long term use. Thus wanting to see the allergist for a more lifelong solution. My main allergies that I know of from previous allergy testing are grass, mold, mites and cats. Hope this helps someone.

Zyrtec expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Available in tablet, gel cap, dissolving tablet and children’s syrup form, Zyrtec is an antihistamine that works within one hour of dosage to reduce the effects of natural chemical histamine in the bodies of adults and children. Zyrtec is available without a prescription at major pharmacies and retail chains nationwide.

• Wide availability: Allergy sufferers can find relief without making a visit to the doctor’s office since Zyrtec is available at major pharmacies and stores without a prescription. Consumers can also buy Zyrtec online at several major retailers.

• Zyrtec app: Download the Zyrtec app for free on your mobile device to get updated allergy forecasts, keep track of your symptoms and find out how the pollen count is affecting allergy sufferers in your part of town. You can also customize your notifications to be alerted whenever pollen is high in your location.

• Allergy resources: Visit Zyrtec’s webpage for information on how to minimize indoor allergies, how to deal with allergies to dogs and other furry animals and more.

• Available for children: Children as young as two years old who suffer from allergies can find relief with Zyrtec’s specially formulated children’s dissolving tablets or syrup. Consult with your child’s pediatrician before using on a child younger than two years old.

• Indoor and outdoor relief: Zyrtec can relieve both indoor and outdoor allergy symptoms, so you only need to take one pill instead of several to effectively manage all of your allergy symptoms.

• Best for: Zyrtec is best for adults and children who need antihistamine relief.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs