1.87/5
Based on 301 reviews that contain star ratings

339 Zyrtec Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 15, 2019

I have used Zyrtec for over a dozen years and am finally trying to break free to see if some other issues I have will abate. On day two of discontinued use my scalp started itching, and not like normal itching, it is intense. My eyes are also burning. These are symptoms I have never experienced until stopping this medication. I don't not recommend ever starting on this med.

Original review: April 12, 2019

Day 11 of Zyrtec withdrawal. Praying there is a light at the end of this tunnel! I've seen a lot of struggles with this but not many people come back to comment if they were successful.... I've had to take ** twice on night 5 and 10 to sleep because the itching was everywhere and unbearable.

Get expert buying tips about Allergy Medicine delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 7, 2019

Oh my gosh. I just want the itching to stop. I wanted to switch to ** to help with my allergic reaction to tree pollen so I stopped taking Zyrtec. I feel like I have hives all over my body. My feet itch. Heck even between my toes itch. My scalp itches as well as everywhere else. It's torture. The over the counter generic brands don't mention this. Something's got to be done because I'm so miserable. Don't take this medication because it's been a week and I'm still sooooooo miserable.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I have relied on Zyrtec for many years (I am currently 23) to treat my severe allergies. When I was about 20 years old I began breaking out in uncontrollable itching attacks where my body felt like it was on fire and I wanted to crawl out of my skin. Zyrtec seemed to be the only way to relieve my pain. I went to see doctors and their only advice was to continue taking the drug and to even increase my dosage if need be.

I continued taking Zyrtec for the next few years thankful for the relief. But it was not until recently that I began to research my symptoms again because it seemed to only be getting worse. And of course this time I found that there were so many of us having to live with this unbearable side effect! I am in complete shock that this has gained more traction and that there is not even a warning on the label for this product. I absolutely would not recommend this to anyone, because the relief is not worth the long term effect and it has not been an easy journey to try and wean my body off.

Original review: March 10, 2019

I have been taking this drug for years to stop unbearable itching from what I thought was a hive-less allergic reaction rash. No, I come to learn it's the drug itself (withdrawal) that causes it. No wonder it always worked so well, and no other allergy med would do! I've been known to go like a crazed maniac ripping drawers apart looking for an errant pill at 3 am because of an "allergic reaction" that makes me want to rip the skin from my body. The drug actually causes the symptom you are trying to control by using the drug. What a racket! After literally at least 10 years of supporting the company that caused my anguish, I'll be weaning off.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zyrtec?

Original review: March 7, 2019

Zyrtec withdrawal - I had to do a search online to see if this were true or if I was crazy. I am surprised to find so many with the same experiences as I had trying to get off of Zyrtec. I travel for business and usually forget to bring my allergy meds with me. I found that by day 3, the itching would get unbearable and would look to find Zyrtec to relieve the symptoms, which usually works pretty fast. It would be nice for the FDA to step up its game on making drug manufacturers do better studies of these side effects. I reviewed other comments and would be glad to participate in a class action if it comes to fruition.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Same as the other reviewers, I have severe allergies and took Zyrtec for years and honestly it worked amazing. But now I’m on my 3rd attempt to stop taking it and I can’t. Within two days of stopping taking it I itch so bad all over my body that it literally is driving me crazy. If anything touches my skin it becomes an incredible OMG itch. Even my fingers itch. When I walk just my pants touching my legs makes me itch. I wake up in the night with my head itching so bad just from touching the pillow. This is crazy. I just want it to stop.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

In 2013, I began getting hives regularly without specific cause - which I later found out was called chronic urticaria, an autoimmune disease which seems to target individuals between the age of 20-25 and eventually goes away on its own. The only way to get the hives to go away was to take an antihistamine. I had started off with ** which made me incredibly drowsy so I soon settled for a ** based antihistamine like Zyrtec and thought "Wow! This stops the hives and doesn't make me drowsy... Great!"

I took it about every 2 days until August 2016 when I had to stop for a week in order to have an allergy test done. As the week went on, this incredible itching got worse and worse (which I at the time thought was related to the hives I had been getting) so I had to take half a pill mid-week before my allergy test in order manage the itching. After my test, I continued to take the antihistamine regularly again, thinking that I hadn't quite passed the hives "phase" yet. Last May I decided to do a little research on antihistamine side effects and found multiple articles and reviews of people reporting this unbearable itching when stopping the medication. It was then that I realized I needed to stop taking this garbage - quick.

In my opinion, I now think pharmaceutical companies make a huge profit off of innocent people who take allergy medicine for their "allergies" when really the symptoms they had prior to starting the drug were far less severe than these withdrawal symptoms which mirror "allergies". I am appalled and disgusted that any allergist/doctor would prescribe such medication to an individual knowing that all they're really doing is hooking you in as a customer of their pharmaceutical reps. Any doctor who claims that antihistamine withdrawal isn't real is either a liar or extremely uneducated.

For anyone struggling to get off this drug, this is what I have done since May: WEAN YOURSELF OFF THE DRUG. IT WILL BE A LOT EASIER THAN TRYING TO QUIT COLD TURKEY. I started with a full pill (10mg) every two days for several weeks. CUT DOWN TO HALF A PILL (5mg) every 3 days, then pushed to 4 days, then pushed to 5 days then pushed to 6. I stayed at that number of days for A WHILE because your body needs to adapt.

Then I CUT DOWN TO A THIRD OF THE PILL. I know this sounds ridiculous but it worked. It's a tiny amount but cutting it down slowly helps make the itching more bearable and allows you to slowly extend your days between doses. I was stuck on this step for a WHILE. I was averaging about 3 nights for a couple months when one day I looked in the mirror and noticed how badly I had scratched myself. Seeing my poor body all marked up like that made me more determined to push through and that night I finally broke through to day 4. That same day I started taking a ALL NATURAL "Histamine Blocker" I had ordered on Amazon and Vitamin C cause I had read that that helped reduce histamine levels.

I'm not sure how much either of these have helped but I am happy to now say that I haven't taken any antihistamines in a MONTH and am finally able to go about my routine fairly normally. I don't take the vitamin C anymore and I only take one histamine blocker a day instead of 2. I take it before I go to bed as that is when I am most vulnerable since I might scratch unintentionally. Sleeping and working out are still my main pain points, but I am able to sleep well through the night now and can go about my work day with minimal itching. Also wearing looser clothing for the first couple weeks (once I had finally stopped taking the drug all together) helped with reducing the itching. The main thing you have to do is RESIST itching. Once you start, it only gets worse and it'll travel to different places. The more you RESIST, the more manageable it'll become.

I know this is a long review but I personally couldn't find many reviews or articles that were really helpful to me so I hope this can help someone else. I swore to myself the day that I looked in the mirror and saw those giant scratches on myself that I would never take another antihistamine again and that I would write a helpful review for others once I finally felt like I had made it over the hump. IT GETS BETTER. DON'T GIVE ANOTHER DIME TO THESE HORRIBLE COMPANIES!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

Within the past 48 hours, I’ve learned the truth behind my miserable 8-year bout with intense itching - it is caused by the very drug I took to help with hives and itching. I’m a 47 year- old male that’s 5’ 11” and weigh 215 lbs - I don’t drink soda, haven’t eaten refined or processed foods for at least 6 years, I eat a keto diet, and have always worked out throughout my life. In July 2011, around my 40th birthday, I started taking Zyrtec once a day due to some minor hives that were likely related to the onset of a milk-nuts-PVC allergy and/or hot/cold. If I didn’t itch for a day or so, I would stop taking Zyrtec, but soon I would itch so intensely, I had to take more Zyrtec to relieve the itch, and only Zyrtec would help - ** did nothing to relieve it.

I started seeing an allergist, who advised me to take more Zyrtec if needed, including 2 at a time up to 4X daily - the allergist wanted to give me a skin test for allergies, but told me I would have to stop Zyrtec for at least 3 days - but for 7 years, I was never able to make it and take the test - within 48 hours of stopping Zyrtec the itching would be so bad I had to take more to relieve the misery. The itching got so bad about 3 years ago that the allergist prescribed monthly ** injections (billed at $3000 a month to my insurance with a $200 copay on my part). The 30+ ** injections I got only masked what I now know to be Zyrtec withdrawal itching for about 10-12 days each month, making me believe my “hives and itching” were getting worse.

I was told I had an unknown autoimmune disorder that was causing my hives, and in September 2018, while regularly taking 6-8 Zyrtec a day for my intense inside-out itching, my body reached a critical mass of constant itching and hives where several lymph nodes in my neck started to swell, and my liver numbers got elevated. Some friends suggested mixing 1 tsp Celtic sea salt and 1 tsp vitamin C powder in water and drinking it daily, plus taking 3 super lysine tablets, which gave me some relief, and which I am still doing daily after 12 weeks. Due to the sea salt/vitamin C relief, I was able to cut back all the way to 1 Zyrtec a day at 10 PM daily about a month ago, and have thankfully missed 2 ** injections, this year so far due to an insurance change, which providentially allowed me to be without ** while reducing my Zyrtec usage.

A few nights ago my wife found multiple testimonials about intense Zyrtec withdrawal itching, and I read case after case just like mine of unexplained intense itching coupled with multiple years of Zyrtec usage. This is my 2nd day cold turkey without any Zyrtec and I am using ** sparingly to deal with the Zyrtec withdrawal itching. Whatever itching I originally had back in 2011 that prompted me to start taking Zyrtec is nothing compared to the intense misery, lost work time, lost quality of life, and lost money from trying to deal with “severe unexplained hives” that were caused by the very drug I thought was helping me. Just like **, Zyrtec both relieves itching and causes such intense withdrawal itching that you’ll never want to stop taking it - it will seem like your only salvation from unbearable itching, but is also the insidious cause of that unbearable itch.

So buyer and patient beware - and I found that Zyrtec’s European labeling evidently mentions withdrawal itching, but here in the US, the FDA has seen no need for such labeling. I can’t help but think big pharma knows all this full well, and a lot of money is being made treating “idiopathic urticaria” that is simply manufactured human misery for the sake of perpetual revenue - a lot of allergists and healthcare professionals are well-meaning and likely ignorant of Zyrtec withdrawal itching, but I hope this post educates many, and saves a lot of people from the years of misery I’ve endured.

In retrospect, one particular Bible verse regarding the total depravity and corrupt sin nature of mankind comes to mind when thinking about the manufacturers of deceptive drugs like Zyrtec: Jeremiah 17:9 “The human heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked; who can understand it?” Things like this simply underscore mankind’s lost and hellbound condition apart from Christ, and the need for God’s love, grace, and a new heart in Jesus that loves God and others instead of self and money. Mark 8:36 “What does it profit a man to gain the whole world, but lose his own soul?” God bless.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I have severe year round allergies and other allergy medications made me feel yucky so I decided to take Zyrtec. I have been taking Zyrtec for close to 8 years. It worked pretty good but a couple years ago I had ran out and within 4 hours of not taking it I had the worst itching ever! My arms and shoulders and thighs were so bad. I itched myself so bad I ended up with bruises. I had to run to the store and upon taking it, the itch stopped within an hour. I am now about to take an allergy test and was told by my doctor to stop taking Zyrtec for a week before and I advised my doctor that I can’t as I get really bad itching. She didn’t believe me unfortunately but let’s just say the past 3- 4 days ago I could felt like I could not go on. My scalp bled, my thighs and arms bled, and even typing this my calves are itchy. I cannot take this anymore and there’s nothing I can do about it right now. This is ridiculous and if there is a lawsuit, I’d like to join.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I was prescribed Zyrtec for long term use (6 months or so) for bad nasal allergies, days after I took last pill I started itching like crazy and had headaches. Started out as rash then developed hives, the hives appear and disappear but I'm scarring myself from having to scratch so much. Googled my suspicion that it was withdrawing from Zyrtec that was causing the itchiness and found a ton of complaints from other users, many saying they have contacted Zyrtec only to be told it's not true that withdrawals cause severe itching. If there is ever a lawsuit I'd like to join in suing.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

My ENT recommended I take Zyrtec while I waited for sublingual allergy drops to begin to work which would be an extended period of time. In the second month I began to experience back, neck and all over pain, headaches, insomnia, EXTREME fatigue and lethargy and sadness/anxiety, fogginess. I didn't connect these symptoms to Zrytec until I forgot to take it one night. Next day I woke up and I didn't hurt nearly as much and I couldn't understand how I could feel so much better when for weeks I'd been so ill. After I thought about what could be different I realized I hadn't taken my nightly dose of Zyrtec. I looked up side effects of Zyrtec but nothing I was having was listed. I kept looking and came across "user reviews". Each one described exactly what I had experienced. I was relieved to know the cause of my distress and shocked that this OTC drug didn't come with full disclosure of side effects.

It's been two weeks now that I've been off the med. Muscle pain and stiffness prevails, although lessened. The fatigue and lethargy has improved but not gone, headaches gone, sadness/anxiety gone, fogginess gone, but now I've begun to ITCH like crazy. It's a deep unrelenting itch. Really? I want my life back!!! I am telling everyone I know about the hell of taking Zyrtec. And I'll be telling my ENT and primary care docs, too. How long before this is over?

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I took Zyrtec and the generic ** for 4 years for seasonal allergies. In mid-July 2018 I was feeling fatigued and decided to stop taking Zyrtec as a test to see if it could be causing the fatigue - even though I only took it at bedtime. I had NO idea there was a withdrawal! A couple of days later I started the horrible itch all over my body, followed after 8 weeks by pins and needles (some describe as bug bites) all over, and then randomly. I've also had extremely sensitive, burning skin. I'm going into 6 months now, and I'm just starting to feel a somewhat better, although the itching is still bad on my scalp and face. Many people report the withdrawal period as months to over a year, and relapses are normal.

Obviously, not everyone has the withdrawal, but there are hundreds/thousands of comments on websites from people who suffer from several weeks to months/years. There is a Facebook group devoted to the withdrawal. No doctor of any specialty would admit to knowing about this, although a couple told me they don't recommend stopping Zyrtec cold turkey. This is typical of the reaction from the medical profession to everyone going through this. It seems only those practicing Eastern medicine know about Zyrtec withdrawal symptoms. People file complaints with the FDA and nothing happens. At the very least, there should be a warning on the label about the withdrawal effects.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I am having SEVERE withdrawal from these pills that are labeled no side effects, and doctors are lying to people. I have intense itching head to toe, very distinct hives, I am bleeding everywhere, I feel very sick, hot flashes, mood swings. I haven't slept in 3 days. I feel like there is a million fire ants running all over stinging me for the past 3 weeks...

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I have taken Zyrtec for the last 13 years to treat Vibratory urticaria (severe skin itching upon friction or vibration) and seasonal allergies. It worked very well with treating the urticaria which, otherwise, was very life limiting. I believe it also helped with my seasonal allergies to a point. I keep getting mixed opinions from doctors and naturopaths on how safe it is to take long term, so I've gotten off of it. I tried multiple times over the years, but within 48 hours of stopping, I began to itch terribly, and the only thing that would stop it was taking Zyrtec. I had an allergist tell me I was allergic to stopping it! My doctors had no idea why. All CLUELESS! Finally a naturopathic doctor explained that it is Zyrtec withdrawal, and that it goes away after a week or so. I was able to deal with the itching during withdrawal by taking ** (a hypoallergenic form of vitamin c) x2, 3x a day until the itching subsided.

I still have to deal with the vibratory urticaria now, which I'm looking for natural ** to deal with and hope that maybe I'll only need Zyrtec occasional when I can plan ahead for activities that entail a lot of friction or vibration (running, snowmobiling, etc.). Zyrtec is a great mast cell stabilizer, but there are other natural options that don't have questionable long term issues. I don't know the validity, but one doctor told me that Zyrtec is linked to cancers, and another told me it can have cognitive effects after long term use, while others told me it's totally safe to take. The docs who told me it is safe to take had no clue about the withdrawal, or long term effects (even an allergist!) and the ones who told me it wasn't safe long term have alternatives to offer, so I'm trying them first. Western medicine/pharmacy doesn't have all the answers! ** is a great alternative, there are many others as well.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

I started Zyrtec in 2007 for nasal congestion/allergies. When the generic ** was available, I switched to that. The Dr/PA who started me on Zyrtec (and **) advised taking only the name brand for allergy medications because all the name brand ingredients are known and tested. The allergist who prescribed the generic assured me that it had been tested and he personally had taken it and monitored his mother taking it, and it was the same as the brand name. It relieved my allergy symptoms, so I continued it. I stopped the **. I briefly switched to ** (sp?) but it was more expensive and the generic did not relieve my symptoms, and my insurance charged the same high copay for the generic and would no longer provide the name brand.

Over time, I began to take the ** year round. If I stopped it, I felt nauseous and assumed that meant I needed it, so resumed it and felt fine. I was taking 10 mg in the am, used ** (generic) spray at night, and during peak season, took 1 30 mg ** (generic) in the am. Any more and I couldn’t sleep. I tried 24-hr timed release **, but it kept me awake all night. Plain ** wasn’t as effective as Zyrtec.

This year, I was having sleep issues, with increased nasal congestion at night and upon waking, and saw an allergist again, for the first time since 2010 (approx). She scheduled me for allergy and insect skin tests and cautioned me about the difficulty of not taking the Zyrtec/**/antihistamines for at least 5 days prior to the testing. She told me to use the **, an ** inhaler if needed, and suggested I take ** at night. I immediately felt terrible: Flu symptoms, headache (very rare for me), fatigue, body aches, nausea, temp changes, erratic sleeping, sinus pain. I took ** one day 3x for nausea (instant relief), but suffered constipation, so stopped that.

I called and spoke to the allergist’s nurse, who commiserated about the terrible and common antihistamine withdrawal symptoms and checked with the doctor who said I could take the ** in the morning instead of evening. I tried that on day 4 but noticed no benefit. Stopped everything day 5 & 6 (except ** and vitamin D). By the sixth day, I felt a bit better but had an itchy spot on my left inner wrist. Very uncommon for me. It was gone the next day. Sometime between day 4 and six, I read the Zyrtec/generic withdrawal accounts here.

In 2008, I tested high positive for mold, mildew, weeds, dust, and dust mites. This time, I tested negative for everything! I was shocked. I decided to continue the Generic ** at night for nasal congestion and drip, take 1 generic ** in the morning, and try to stay off antihistamines. The allergist suggested I try ** instead of the Zyrtec if I need it as we start our allergy season here (central Florida). I’m eating again, and feeling more normal (tested yesterday).

I recently had completed a home sleep study which diagnosed sleep apnea, and am scheduled next week for the overnight sleep study at the sleep center for additional tests and CPAP titration. The allergist (and my MD) have checked and confirmed I have no sinus abnormalities. So perhaps the sleep issues are contributing to the congestion. My breathing has tested as very good/excellent. As many others have stated here, now that I have gone through this period of horrible withdrawal from Zyrtec/**, I do not intend to take it again.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I am currently ill with Coxsackievirus and had skin rash developing. I took 1 tablet of Zyrtec as soon as I spotted rash and rash stopped, even started recovering. After 2 days (1 tablet per 24 hours) on third day I started shaking uncontrollably, muscles started aching (especially neck area), at first I was a bit sleepy but now became very hyperactive - I literally cannot stand in one place.

I have found that there are possible negative effects of the drug and found that I should stop taking drug immediately after feeling such symptoms. This is exactly what I am planning to do in the next 20 hours (after 3rd tablet slowly stops working). Hope shaking will end since it is becoming violent. Worth noting that I am not shaking when I am still, but when I attempt to do any movement it becomes uncoordinated and shaky. I do not consume any other medication and never had such symptoms before. Temperature is 36.6 C' currently - shaking is not because of that and it is happening for me for full day already. Hope this helps.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I started taking Zyrtec 4 years ago for dermatography. I've had an episode of dermatography many years before with little to no itch, this time I needed something to relieve the itch so I tried Zyrtec. I don't like taking medications so I tried stopping the Zyrtec. The itch was so unbearable that I found myself running out in the middle of the night to get some Zyrtec because I would run out or forget to bring it over to my BF house. My hands would start burning and then itching, thought my skin was dry, then my head, then my legs and the itch eventually was all over. Intense where I would scratch to bleeding. I started taking 2 Zyrtec and noticed I could go 48 hours before the unbearable itching would start again.

Here I thought the higher the dose the longer my so called condition would not act up. 4 years later I started thinking this isn't right. I shouldn't have to rely on an ** for a condition I've never had in my life. I'm 52 years old. I started researching itching and Zyrtec, well tried before but only found websites that will promote Zyrtec. I then recently stumbled across the website ** where it's reported in the Netherlands. I was shocked my symptoms were exact to what they were describing when trying to stop Zyrtec. Monday night I tried to stop said that's it. Of course I was at my 48 hours and couldn't bear it at about midnight. I caved and took only 1 pill.

The itching stopped in about 20-30 minutes. Last night was 72 hours and the itching is bad but tolerable to a point. When I say tolerable I don't think most people would handle this as this is something I've been going through now for 4 years. I'm happy over made it this far but not sure how much longer I can hold off. My body has little scab Marks from scratching. Oh the tolerable is so I don't have to take Zyrtec but can't resist the scratching because it's bad. The burning sensation and itch is on my jawline now and my nose and forehead. I don't want to scratch my face. The strangest part is my tongue itches. Tonight will be 96 hours if I make it. I'm praying I make it so I am no longer a prisoner to this medication. Not sure though because the longer I sit here the more it's becoming unbearable. I almost forgot to mention I have no hives, no dermatography, no symptoms just an unbearable itch.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

If there is any way for you NOT to start taking Zyrtec, DON’T start! My doctor put me on it about five years ago for itching. One vacation I forgot to take it for three day—and experienced terrible, incessant itching. Within 10 minutes of taking a tablet I was fine. I talked to her about it and she acted like I was insane. I later found an article about the itching and took it to her. I decided to take myself off the drug by taking less and less ever so slowly. I started with 3/4 of a tablet for several months, then 1/2 for several months more, then 1/4 for several months more. I have been weaning myself off for about eight months! Two days ago was my 1/4 last pill... within 24 hours the itching started. Right now I am itching like crazy and tomorrow I call my doc to see if she will give me anything for it. I am determined not to ever take this devil drug again. ZYRTEC IS HORRIBLE!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I've read a great amount of these reviews and can say my experience is similar. I took a generic brand of Zyrtec for a short period and stopped when it ran out due to experiencing little to no relief. Now, I can hardly sleep because of the side effects. I sneeze nearly triple what I did before, my sinuses feel like they are burning, my nostrils are constantly irritated, and I have experienced the itching everyone is talking about... concentrated in my ears and throat. Also, my palms, feet, and other weird areas like between my toes have experienced itchiness. It's unbearable.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I've been taking generic Zyrtec from Kaiser 5mg pills for about 4-5 months, to switch off from ** when it stopped being as effective. I have heard it can be good to alternate allergy meds. The Zyrtec worked as advertised and I had no issues... Until now that I'm trying to stop. I've been itchy for 3 days straight and am in total hell. I refuse to go back on to alleviate the symptoms. I plan to suffer until the withdrawal is over, which will hopefully be soon. I've been scratching all over with a bristle brush which helps me keep from getting welts or drawing blood, and I have also been slathering **. It's hard to sleep and I'm miserable. I just want it to stop!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Experiencing much of the same symptoms as many others when trying to stop Zyrtec. Ongoing for nearly 2 years. Intolerable itching all over, even now while on ** for different health reasons. The ** seems to reduce itching to some extent.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I was prescribed Zyrtec and given samples by a doctor after having an Sinus infection. I've taken allergy meds before with no side effects. Zyrtec worked fine, but made me groggy, and once the sinus infection ended I tried to stop taking it. Unfortunately Zytec was hard to quit. Trying to stop cold turkey gave me horrific itching. Little tiny pings of itching all over my body. I then found a website saying 'quit Zyrtec get itchy'. I slowly tapered the dose and was eventually able to endure the itching long enough to be able to get off the drug.

The problem is the drug seems to have made me MORE sensitive to histamine. Now other meds I was able to take before make me itch. It's like a rebound effect. Even other antihistamines I Could tolerate before all make me itch. It's gotten so bad, I am reluctant to get prescriptions because I tend to get itchy about 40-50 percent of the time. This never happened before I took Zyrtec. It sensitized me in some weird way.

Original review: July 16, 2018

I have tried asking my doctors about itching when getting off Zyrtec and ** and they never heard about it. I knew what was causing the severe itching. I had no choice but to continue taking it and it made me so upset. There was no warning this could or would happen if I took this med and there is still no warning on the label. I want to take legal action so this will not happen to someone else. Let's GET A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT GOING ON THIS PEOPLE!!! I heard that a histablocker could help get off of this med. I think I will give it a try so I do not have to give this damn medication another penny!!!

Original review: July 3, 2018

I also have tried to stop Zyrtec with no success due to horrid itching. I have had to cancel allergy testing because I can't stand the itching after even 1 day of not taking Zyrtec. I have also called and the company acts like they have no clue what you're talking about. I saw someone mention a lawyer. Has anyone started a class action suit yet? I would definitely be interested if so. More info needs to be put out on side effects. I will assume they are aware and know consumers will continue to spend money on the product. Anyone know of a product to stop withdrawals to stop Zyrtec?

Original review: June 12, 2018

I thought I was going crazy until I read online that others had the same issues. I stopped taking Zyrtec for allergy testing. It has been 4 days filled with incessant itching, aching joints, rash, stiff neck and feeling nauseous. I have been miserable. I do not think I will take it again once I get it out of my system. I will try to find essential oils that will help with my allergies. I have been using Tea Tree essential oil for the itching which works wonderfully!

Original review: April 29, 2018

Hi I wanted to share my experience and tips for stopping Zyrtec. As many posts I have seen I have taken Zyrtec for almost 8 years. I used it for so long because every time I tried to stop I had unbearable itching. I recently found a great website all about antihistamine withdrawal. For anyone trying to stop I recommend trying seeking help histamine blocker. I was able to use 2 a day before meals and I barely had any itching. I cut down to one per day after 2 weeks and stopped using it after 4 weeks. The withdrawal is basically over and it was painless. Histamine blocker is a natural supplement, but of course before trying anything new consult your doctor. Good luck to all in battling this horrible withdrawal that Zyrtec does not warn you about and denies.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I was having constantly sneezing, watery, and terribly itchy eyes, my doctor then suggested me take Zyrtec and prescribe a website also to buy it. I purchased it from there and it really does a great job at relieving my allergies, I had no side effects. Always make me a little nervous about taking medicine.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I am terrified to learn so many people have the same problem experience about Zyrtec. I have been using Zyrtec for almost a year. I have severe headache and the itchy is unbearable from tip toes. I have tried to stop but then go back again after few days suffering from scratching my body all over. My whole body with rash, hives swollen and my coworkers looking at me concerning or even trying to stay away as they don’t know if that skin conditions is contagious. Besides the embarrassment which cannot compare to the itchy crawling under my skin torturing all day and night.

I have tried to drink lots of water hoping to flush it out. I tried everything to ease it down, lotion, warm water... but nothing works until I have to take another pill. I learn about the withdrawal systems and terrifying as I am sitting here fighting for a solution. I don’t want to go back taking another pill but not sure how long I could handle the itching. There should be some warnings or doctors should be aware about this real side effects of this horrible drugs. My doctor told me not to stop. Keep using it and I don’t know. I think people should be aware about this and stay away from this drug.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I’ve been trying to stop taking Zyrtec for months but the itching is unbearable. Starts with my scalp and face and is just awful. My husband has only been taking Zyrtec for a few months to try it for his allergies and wanted to stop but has the same skin crawling symptoms of the withdrawal as I do. I’m very worried there’s more damage than we know and these side effects are NOT publicized anywhere regarding this medication. We’ve been trying to titrate down so we can get off it but hasn’t worked 100% yet. We’ll be contacting a lawyer about this.

Zyrtec expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Available in tablet, gel cap, dissolving tablet and children’s syrup form, Zyrtec is an antihistamine that works within one hour of dosage to reduce the effects of natural chemical histamine in the bodies of adults and children. Zyrtec is available without a prescription at major pharmacies and retail chains nationwide.

• Wide availability: Allergy sufferers can find relief without making a visit to the doctor’s office since Zyrtec is available at major pharmacies and stores without a prescription. Consumers can also buy Zyrtec online at several major retailers.

• Zyrtec app: Download the Zyrtec app for free on your mobile device to get updated allergy forecasts, keep track of your symptoms and find out how the pollen count is affecting allergy sufferers in your part of town. You can also customize your notifications to be alerted whenever pollen is high in your location.

• Allergy resources: Visit Zyrtec’s webpage for information on how to minimize indoor allergies, how to deal with allergies to dogs and other furry animals and more.

• Available for children: Children as young as two years old who suffer from allergies can find relief with Zyrtec’s specially formulated children’s dissolving tablets or syrup. Consult with your child’s pediatrician before using on a child younger than two years old.

• Indoor and outdoor relief: Zyrtec can relieve both indoor and outdoor allergy symptoms, so you only need to take one pill instead of several to effectively manage all of your allergy symptoms.

• Best for: Zyrtec is best for adults and children who need antihistamine relief.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs