Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.05/5

Zyrtec Reviews

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

I started taking Zyrtec about 8 years ago, it did help with my allergies. In November 2019 I ran out of Zyrtec and thought no big deal I'll stay off it and see how I do. The second day I had horrible itching and burning all over worse on my thighs and palms. Didn't understand what was causing this until bought Zyrtec that evening, took one and within 30 minutes the itching stopped. My legs were bleeding from the scratching. I started taking Claritin and gradually weaned myself off Zyrtec by taking half a tablet for a week then a quarter tablet for a week then one eighth then one sixteenth. I haven't had the itch/burn after the month but I have strange bouts of suddenly being congested, horrible coughing then runny nose. Lasts about 15 minutes then it's gone.

This has gotten better in the last month but I never know when it will have happen. It's worse at night. Haven't had a good night's sleep since November. I will never take Zyrtec again and I tell everyone how I went into withdrawal. No one should have to go through this. It's pure Hell! I'm not a person who sues but if there is ever a lawsuit I'm in. This is a horrible product that they apparently know causes these problems since in the Netherlands it is stated on the box that it causes these withdrawal effects. Why weren't we warned about this?

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

Side effects of withdrawal should be disclaimed!! The pain has become unbearable! I have broken capillaries all over my body from breasts to legs. It feels like a million fire ants are attacking my body. I cry, scream, itch, jump in and out of the tub. Nothing seems to help but time for each round of pinpricks to run its course. 30 minutes on my legs, 30 minutes of pure burning, biting and pinpricks all over. Then it randomly moves to my ears, stomach, arms, hands, ankles, scalp...all over, all day.

I was told to go off the Zyrtec/** last week so they can do skin scrapes at the Allergist/Pulmonologist. That is an entire 30 hours away still and I feel like I am going to die. They can not do accurate testing while on any type of antihistamine...so I am screwed and so exhausted, emotionally drained and ripped up. I don't understand why this isnt a bigger issue :( People need to understand what it could do to ones body. It is the worst pain I have ever experienced.

Get expert buying tips about Allergy Medicine delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

Zyrtec is the biggest hoax regarding allergy relief, and not because it doesn't work, sure it numbs not only your allergies but every single emotional response that you have leaving you left feeling dead inside and empty, but it's a chemical tease leading you to think that it is impossible to live without it. Well I am here to destroy that myth, because too many people are being puppeteered by the silent monster that is Zyrtec! Well done to the chemists who created it and the representatives who claim that any ill response is something they've never heard of before, but it is just as addictive as any recreational drug out there, and I haven't ever taken much more than an ** for the occasional headache. Disclaimer: I am a natural, alternative medicine girl all the way because I know the dangers of Pharmaceutical Drugs and their long lasting effects. This was desperation and I should have known better.

Here's my Timeline. 2014. Mysteriously woke up with hives as I was under extreme stress. Not really itchy, just there. I hadn't ever had them before. A so called Acupuncturist and Alternative Healer whom I later found out was just guessing without any real care or concern to the severity of what was going on recommended ** saying that they couldn't treat this, so I took it for 3 months which swelled up my lips in **. I knew better and could kick myself for even taking that first pill. The ER gave me ** which I expressed I was allergic to. Upon leaving the ER I was worse than when I went in. Hives full body head to toes. After two days on **, I was told that I needed something stronger, Zyrtec. Within three months time I gained 50 pounds of water weight going from a very natural and healthy size 0-2 to an unnatural, bloated, painful, hive covered size 12 and counting!

2015. I had lost the majority of my job in Athletics assuming it was because I was covered in hives, filled with reoccurring angioedema, and unsightly, even though all of my classes were full. But I still showed up with random parts of my body and face swollen. Half a lip, my wrists, ankles, hive mounds on the bottoms of my feet, you name it and this well put together dynamic person was now a sad, cowering product of Zyrtec, only I didn't know that was causing it! I'm also a Professional Singer and this pill stripped my voice like nodules do. Sick!!!

2015 Continued. Since 2014 I'd seen multiple specialists and well practiced Doctors whom told me that this would be my new lifelong reality and I had to learn how to manage my urticaria. Jokes on you Docs! (And don't get me wrong, there's a million fine intentioned Doctors who save lives, but the pill pushers are not the ones that I hold in high regard). Living like this disgusting Hive filled, swollen monster was not going to be my reality, so when I was told to add ** and ** to the Zyrtec (after already swelling up 50 pounds can you only imagine adding more toxicity to the mix) I disregarded and started cutting down the pill each day. And I became curious and started doing my research more.

Life on Zyrtec was this... Wake up. Take pill. An hour after the pill itching stops. Still swollen and covered in hives, face the mortification and go to work in pain. Throughout the day felt like a dead numbing nothingness. No passion for anything that I loved or aspired to. Dead inside. Trying to sleep at night and the little beast would start wearing off so I would wake up about 4-7 times a night and it felt like I was naked in the sun being burned to death with fire ants all across my body, couldn't breathe, and freezing at the same time. I would have to throw myself in scalding hot showers 2-4 times a night and would scratch until I bled. No relief until...the "magic" addictive pill that would only remove the itching.

How could I eat all organic, weight train, dance, walk, and do everything I had done my entire life and be gaining at a rapid pace and miserable+! It was the Zyrtec! I mentally prepared myself for the withdrawal I'd heard so much about and it was every bit as terrible and torturous as I thought it would be! Tears everyday, Scalp itching and burning, hives that moved across every inch of me randomly like bugs traveling through the body and wanting to get out, terrible pain, swelling. Narcoleptic like sleeping spells anywhere and everywhere.

2016. Off Zyrtec but it takes just as long to withdrawal off as you've been on it. This drug is a total disaster! 2016-2017. After my two week withdrawal period I never had the need to touch it again, only I was left with the aftermath of what all that swelling had done to my body, like I had a baby and didn't focus on any weight loss or self care and just left with a disgusting load of excess skin that I hide on the daily. Swelled up and down, on and off, uncontrollable.

2018-2019. Metabolism is definitely off, hoping my thyroid wasn't killed by this stupid drug! Lost swelling, can't seem to lose weight the way I should. Finally able to sing close to my usual voice again after five years. Still recovering. 2020. Still working out, eating all organic, so healthy. Grateful to be alive, miserable in my own skin, searching for a way back to 100% normal. My advice is, don't put poison in your body, so think twice before you take this addictive, terrible, toxic drug!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

I was on Zyrtec for 5 years daily for urticaria if unknown origin (hives). Like so many others, every time I tried to stop to see how I would fare on my own I would be ravaged with hives and horrible itching (worse than before I took Zyrtec). I assumed I needed the Zyrtec so I would always start back up again. I finally had to stop for 5 days to undergo allergy testing. By day 2 the itching was maddening. I barely slept for the first four nights. I was constantly rotating ice packs to different parts of my body that felt they were on fire from the incessant burning itch. On the fourth night as I laid awake I started to do some googling to see if there was some sort of OTC cream or lotion that would help until I got the testing done.

I magically googled something that brought up the MANY eerily similar tales of full body itching and burning as a result of Zyrtec withdrawal. I was FLOORED. And then furious. I vowed I would see the withdrawal process through and never put that poison in my body again. I am happy to report (especially because I haven’t seen many stories of successful termination of this drug) that on today (day 6) things improved dramatically. The itching is substantially improved; it is far more localized and comes and goes. I only hope I continue to improve as my body continues to filter the drug from my system. Perhaps I was lucky that I was already taking a host of daily supplements to deal with inflammation (turmeric, ginger and CBD specifically) when I decided to stop this awful drug. How irresponsible that this is sold over the counter with ZERO warning regarding the side effects.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

I have been tracking this medication for almost a month due to bad cat allergies. I was staying at a relative's house temporarily. Well we ended up leaving there to stay somewhere else and I felt I no longer needed them so I stopped taking them. Well here I am 3 days later and all of a sudden out of nowhere my body begins to get tingly and itchy. I also feel dizzy and nauseous. The only thing I have changed in I stopped taking zyrtec. I had to take a ** just to get through the itchy sensation. I will never take this protect ever again. I hope they put a warning label on this because so many have suffered with this.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zyrtec?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

I’ve taken Zyrtec for 8 years give or take. It works well for season's allergies and etc. However, if I can make it through the withdrawal symptoms I have from not taking it for an allergy test, I will NEVER take it again. Y’all, take serious consideration before taking Zyrtec. If you don’t want to take it for your entire life, don’t start. I had no idea you can suffer when stopping. I am on day 5 of no Zyrtec right now and I’m miserableness and not from congestion and etc. I’ve experience severe nausea, dizziness, and the worst unbearable burning itching all over my body. I scratched blood blisters on day 3 off of Zyrtec. At that time, I didn’t know what was wrong. At Thanksgiving lunch, I mentioned how I was feeling to an aunt. She told me she felt the same way coming off and she’d only taken it for months.

I googled withdrawal and I was blown away. It doesn’t appear to affect everyone and those people are SO lucky. I pray this stops soon and that I can go back to life. My allergy test is Tuesday and I hope they can give me ideas on how to make it through this burning itch if it isn’t gone. It has seriously brought me to tears. The boxes/bottles need huge warning labels. I’m so disappointed in the makers of this medicine.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I have been on Zyrtec for 5 years. I started out on 10 mg then had to increase to 20 mg for it to work. I have tried numerous times to stop taking it, however after 2 days the burning itch was too unbearable to withstand. Two years ago I managed to make it to every 3 days before I would cave in and take it again. Last Thursday I only took 10 mg. 24 hours later I developed welts popping up on my body, I thought I came into contact with something. The next day I came down with severe 8.5 hours of excruciating abdominal pain and diarrhea and flu like symptoms. This all lasted 3 days. Dizziness and confusion however did not stop. The welts are still popping up in different spots all over me. The burning itch I have all over has left me bruised from scratching.

I havent slept a good night sleep since I've stopped this medication. It's as though I feel awake all night. I didnt understand what was happening to me with all of these except for the burning itch that I knew was the Zyrtec. I then read these reviews and have seen others have experienced the flu like symptoms, diarrhea and abdominal pain, dizziness,and confusion. To my relief I'm not dying instead I'm going through withdrawals. This is crazy!!! Today it's 8 days without the zyrtec and I am so sore and bruised everywhere from scratching all night long. I refuse to give in and take it, I will not remain a prisoner to this drug and I will get through this. I just wish I knew how long before all this will end.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

Where to begin... I have seasonal allergies so I started taking Zyrtec. It worked, but I still would get a nagging dry cough. After several year of taking it, I started to have hormonal complications. I also starting having extreme back pain, followed by weight gain. I then quit cold turkey. I had the roughest 5 months ahead of me. I would itch randomly, became worse at night. Every inch of my body would itch all night. It would start randomly. It wasn't as bad as months went by. But then I started to get very itchy on my scalp. Since quitting the drug, I have lost weight, hormones are improving, but I still get itchy palms. I also got plaque psoriasis on my scalp. I'm also very sensitive to things I never was before taking Zyrtec. I had to change all my detergents, softeners, shampoo, soap. It's been a nightmare. I really hope something is done. They shouldn't be allowed to sell this!!! I've suffered a lot because of Zyrtec!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

I started taking the generic Costco brand of Zyrtec to alleviate spring time allergies followed into my fall allergies. Normally I just deal with the allergies but this year I wanted to try Zyrtec, which it helped. Well last week I ran out, thinking no big deal and oh how wrong I was. I’ve had uncontrollable itching all over my body for the last 5 days and it has been miserable! Hives have broken out all over my skin and my palms itch so bad! Not realizing the connection, I foolishly bought and took a Zyrtec. Within 30 minutes, the horrible itching stopped.

I’ve been racking my brain about what has changed the past 5 days, only to find it was that I had ran out of Zyrtec. After no help from the label, I searched google only to find hundreds of others have the same symptoms as me. I would never had taken this drug long term had I known what hell it is to stop taking it. Well, I’m hard headed so today I stop cold turkey intentionally and will tell everyone I know about the horrible withdrawals Zyrtec causes.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

This product should be pulled from the market IMMEDIATELY. I started taking it this spring as recommended by a doctor for a bad case of poison ivy. I’ve been off it for a week now and I can’t sleep, I’m covered in hives, I itch uncontrollably- so bad that I have caused myself bruises and bleeding from the scratching. It’s relentless and it’s worst at night. I can’t believe there are no warnings or anything- I never would have started taking it if I knew only 6 months later my life would turn into this.

Is your car out of warranty?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right extended auto warranty for you.

Zyrtec expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Available in tablet, gel cap, dissolving tablet and children’s syrup form, Zyrtec is an antihistamine that works within one hour of dosage to reduce the effects of natural chemical histamine in the bodies of adults and children. Zyrtec is available without a prescription at major pharmacies and retail chains nationwide.

• Wide availability: Allergy sufferers can find relief without making a visit to the doctor’s office since Zyrtec is available at major pharmacies and stores without a prescription. Consumers can also buy Zyrtec online at several major retailers.

• Zyrtec app: Download the Zyrtec app for free on your mobile device to get updated allergy forecasts, keep track of your symptoms and find out how the pollen count is affecting allergy sufferers in your part of town. You can also customize your notifications to be alerted whenever pollen is high in your location.

• Allergy resources: Visit Zyrtec’s webpage for information on how to minimize indoor allergies, how to deal with allergies to dogs and other furry animals and more.

• Available for children: Children as young as two years old who suffer from allergies can find relief with Zyrtec’s specially formulated children’s dissolving tablets or syrup. Consult with your child’s pediatrician before using on a child younger than two years old.

• Indoor and outdoor relief: Zyrtec can relieve both indoor and outdoor allergy symptoms, so you only need to take one pill instead of several to effectively manage all of your allergy symptoms.

• Best for: Zyrtec is best for adults and children who need antihistamine relief.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team