1.91/5
Based on 285 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

323 Zyrtec Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I am currently ill with Coxsackievirus and had skin rash developing. I took 1 tablet of Zyrtec as soon as I spotted rash and rash stopped, even started recovering. After 2 days (1 tablet per 24 hours) on third day I started shaking uncontrollably, muscles started aching (especially neck area), at first I was a bit sleepy but now became very hyperactive - I literally cannot stand in one place.

I have found that there are possible negative effects of the drug and found that I should stop taking drug immediately after feeling such symptoms. This is exactly what I am planning to do in the next 20 hours (after 3rd tablet slowly stops working). Hope shaking will end since it is becoming violent. Worth noting that I am not shaking when I am still, but when I attempt to do any movement it becomes uncoordinated and shaky. I do not consume any other medication and never had such symptoms before. Temperature is 36.6 C' currently - shaking is not because of that and it is happening for me for full day already. Hope this helps.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I started taking Zyrtec 4 years ago for dermatography. I've had an episode of dermatography many years before with little to no itch, this time I needed something to relieve the itch so I tried Zyrtec. I don't like taking medications so I tried stopping the Zyrtec. The itch was so unbearable that I found myself running out in the middle of the night to get some Zyrtec because I would run out or forget to bring it over to my BF house. My hands would start burning and then itching, thought my skin was dry, then my head, then my legs and the itch eventually was all over. Intense where I would scratch to bleeding. I started taking 2 Zyrtec and noticed I could go 48 hours before the unbearable itching would start again.

Here I thought the higher the dose the longer my so called condition would not act up. 4 years later I started thinking this isn't right. I shouldn't have to rely on an ** for a condition I've never had in my life. I'm 52 years old. I started researching itching and Zyrtec, well tried before but only found websites that will promote Zyrtec. I then recently stumbled across the website ** where it's reported in the Netherlands. I was shocked my symptoms were exact to what they were describing when trying to stop Zyrtec. Monday night I tried to stop said that's it. Of course I was at my 48 hours and couldn't bear it at about midnight. I caved and took only 1 pill.

The itching stopped in about 20-30 minutes. Last night was 72 hours and the itching is bad but tolerable to a point. When I say tolerable I don't think most people would handle this as this is something I've been going through now for 4 years. I'm happy over made it this far but not sure how much longer I can hold off. My body has little scab Marks from scratching. Oh the tolerable is so I don't have to take Zyrtec but can't resist the scratching because it's bad. The burning sensation and itch is on my jawline now and my nose and forehead. I don't want to scratch my face. The strangest part is my tongue itches. Tonight will be 96 hours if I make it. I'm praying I make it so I am no longer a prisoner to this medication. Not sure though because the longer I sit here the more it's becoming unbearable. I almost forgot to mention I have no hives, no dermatography, no symptoms just an unbearable itch.

Get expert buying tips about Allergy Medicine delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

If there is any way for you NOT to start taking Zyrtec, DON’T start! My doctor put me on it about five years ago for itching. One vacation I forgot to take it for three day—and experienced terrible, incessant itching. Within 10 minutes of taking a tablet I was fine. I talked to her about it and she acted like I was insane. I later found an article about the itching and took it to her. I decided to take myself off the drug by taking less and less ever so slowly. I started with 3/4 of a tablet for several months, then 1/2 for several months more, then 1/4 for several months more. I have been weaning myself off for about eight months! Two days ago was my 1/4 last pill... within 24 hours the itching started. Right now I am itching like crazy and tomorrow I call my doc to see if she will give me anything for it. I am determined not to ever take this devil drug again. ZYRTEC IS HORRIBLE!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I've read a great amount of these reviews and can say my experience is similar. I took a generic brand of Zyrtec for a short period and stopped when it ran out due to experiencing little to no relief. Now, I can hardly sleep because of the side effects. I sneeze nearly triple what I did before, my sinuses feel like they are burning, my nostrils are constantly irritated, and I have experienced the itching everyone is talking about... concentrated in my ears and throat. Also, my palms, feet, and other weird areas like between my toes have experienced itchiness. It's unbearable.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I've been taking generic Zyrtec from Kaiser 5mg pills for about 4-5 months, to switch off from ** when it stopped being as effective. I have heard it can be good to alternate allergy meds. The Zyrtec worked as advertised and I had no issues... Until now that I'm trying to stop. I've been itchy for 3 days straight and am in total hell. I refuse to go back on to alleviate the symptoms. I plan to suffer until the withdrawal is over, which will hopefully be soon. I've been scratching all over with a bristle brush which helps me keep from getting welts or drawing blood, and I have also been slathering **. It's hard to sleep and I'm miserable. I just want it to stop!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zyrtec?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Experiencing much of the same symptoms as many others when trying to stop Zyrtec. Ongoing for nearly 2 years. Intolerable itching all over, even now while on ** for different health reasons. The ** seems to reduce itching to some extent.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I was prescribed Zyrtec and given samples by a doctor after having an Sinus infection. I've taken allergy meds before with no side effects. Zyrtec worked fine, but made me groggy, and once the sinus infection ended I tried to stop taking it. Unfortunately Zytec was hard to quit. Trying to stop cold turkey gave me horrific itching. Little tiny pings of itching all over my body. I then found a website saying 'quit Zyrtec get itchy'. I slowly tapered the dose and was eventually able to endure the itching long enough to be able to get off the drug.

The problem is the drug seems to have made me MORE sensitive to histamine. Now other meds I was able to take before make me itch. It's like a rebound effect. Even other antihistamines I Could tolerate before all make me itch. It's gotten so bad, I am reluctant to get prescriptions because I tend to get itchy about 40-50 percent of the time. This never happened before I took Zyrtec. It sensitized me in some weird way.

Original review: July 16, 2018

I have tried asking my doctors about itching when getting off Zyrtec and ** and they never heard about it. I knew what was causing the severe itching. I had no choice but to continue taking it and it made me so upset. There was no warning this could or would happen if I took this med and there is still no warning on the label. I want to take legal action so this will not happen to someone else. Let's GET A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT GOING ON THIS PEOPLE!!! I heard that a histablocker could help get off of this med. I think I will give it a try so I do not have to give this damn medication another penny!!!

Original review: July 3, 2018

I also have tried to stop Zyrtec with no success due to horrid itching. I have had to cancel allergy testing because I can't stand the itching after even 1 day of not taking Zyrtec. I have also called and the company acts like they have no clue what you're talking about. I saw someone mention a lawyer. Has anyone started a class action suit yet? I would definitely be interested if so. More info needs to be put out on side effects. I will assume they are aware and know consumers will continue to spend money on the product. Anyone know of a product to stop withdrawals to stop Zyrtec?

Original review: June 12, 2018

I thought I was going crazy until I read online that others had the same issues. I stopped taking Zyrtec for allergy testing. It has been 4 days filled with incessant itching, aching joints, rash, stiff neck and feeling nauseous. I have been miserable. I do not think I will take it again once I get it out of my system. I will try to find essential oils that will help with my allergies. I have been using Tea Tree essential oil for the itching which works wonderfully!

Original review: April 29, 2018

Hi I wanted to share my experience and tips for stopping Zyrtec. As many posts I have seen I have taken Zyrtec for almost 8 years. I used it for so long because every time I tried to stop I had unbearable itching. I recently found a great website all about antihistamine withdrawal. For anyone trying to stop I recommend trying seeking help histamine blocker. I was able to use 2 a day before meals and I barely had any itching. I cut down to one per day after 2 weeks and stopped using it after 4 weeks. The withdrawal is basically over and it was painless. Histamine blocker is a natural supplement, but of course before trying anything new consult your doctor. Good luck to all in battling this horrible withdrawal that Zyrtec does not warn you about and denies.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I was having constantly sneezing, watery, and terribly itchy eyes, my doctor then suggested me take Zyrtec and prescribe a website also to buy it. I purchased it from there and it really does a great job at relieving my allergies, I had no side effects. Always make me a little nervous about taking medicine.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I am terrified to learn so many people have the same problem experience about Zyrtec. I have been using Zyrtec for almost a year. I have severe headache and the itchy is unbearable from tip toes. I have tried to stop but then go back again after few days suffering from scratching my body all over. My whole body with rash, hives swollen and my coworkers looking at me concerning or even trying to stay away as they don’t know if that skin conditions is contagious. Besides the embarrassment which cannot compare to the itchy crawling under my skin torturing all day and night.

I have tried to drink lots of water hoping to flush it out. I tried everything to ease it down, lotion, warm water... but nothing works until I have to take another pill. I learn about the withdrawal systems and terrifying as I am sitting here fighting for a solution. I don’t want to go back taking another pill but not sure how long I could handle the itching. There should be some warnings or doctors should be aware about this real side effects of this horrible drugs. My doctor told me not to stop. Keep using it and I don’t know. I think people should be aware about this and stay away from this drug.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I’ve been trying to stop taking Zyrtec for months but the itching is unbearable. Starts with my scalp and face and is just awful. My husband has only been taking Zyrtec for a few months to try it for his allergies and wanted to stop but has the same skin crawling symptoms of the withdrawal as I do. I’m very worried there’s more damage than we know and these side effects are NOT publicized anywhere regarding this medication. We’ve been trying to titrate down so we can get off it but hasn’t worked 100% yet. We’ll be contacting a lawyer about this.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I am taking generic versions of ZYRTEC. I'm going to give my 2 cents, since I've been taking this on and off since 2016. I have atopic dermatitis as well as nasal allergies. At first I bought store-generic brand **. As soon as I took I noticed I started developed pustules and blisters more rapidly, AT THE TIME I did not correlate ** with it. Then I decided to get Costco's, generic brand whole year supply off Amazon, which is great, and it's cheap compared to other generic brands. Then my blisters and pustules started to increase again, to the point some became a red painful nodule, and me liking to squeezing blisters and pimples to get rid of junk, it caused a local infection, that took me several weeks to heal. I assume because I have atopic dermatitis, I would get these blisters. Anyways, I noticed if I take **, and then switch to **, it becomes less effective. And I believe tolerance builds up to **, and makes you cross tolerant to other antihistamines.

Which explains why some of the reviews here, their antihistamine regiment is less effective over time. The biggest concern are these blisters, pustules and pimples I get whenever I take **. After these things are popped, they leave behind a red mark, and it swells like a hive. After it completely heals, it leave behind post-inflammatory hyperpigmented spot. I do believe itching, due to dependence is real. Whenever I stopped taking **, and switch to **, my itching increases drastically, made worst by atopic dermatitis (I am also taking steroid creams/ointments for the AD). Another side effect I know, is whenever I take ** and ** together, it start get some wheezing effect as if I'm allergic to taking both at once.

It has a great effect on my nasal allergies, as it gets rid of 90-95% of symptoms, but because it dries out the nostrils, I will get blood tinged mucus when I stop taking it due to sneezing. If I'm not on **, I would sneeze every day, multiple times a day. And it's unpleasant to have napkins everywhere you go. I'm highly allergic to dust mites. The pimples and pustules aftermath, have left my backside, frontside, and buttocks with spots. I highly recommend for nasal allergies, but not for atopic dermatitis, if you often get pustules and blisters as it might leave to scarring, hyperpigmentation or an infection, because you're more sensitive to irritants.

As a regiment I rotate between 1 week of **, and 1 week of **. Taking 1 day off, so it's 6 days of week I'm on it. For people who suffers dependence withdrawals, this might help mitigates its effect, if you're not constantly reliant on one single antihistamine all the time. I notice a lot of people here get allergic reaction from taking **, I've only ever gotten an allergic reaction as wheezing if I take this and another **. I HAVE TAKEN 2 ** at once, and it's even better at controlling nasal allergies, however it makes your nose even drier than if you're taking 1 10mg pill, may cause nosebleeds, or blood-tinged mucus in people who are prone to nasal allergies and nosebleeds. I will also get blisters inside my nostrils on occasion when on this pill. Taking ** will not help alleviate the side effects of **, I'm doing it because to prevent tolerance from building up too fast.

Original review: March 3, 2018

I went on Zyrtec this past November. At first, it seemed great! Then, I had to stop taking it in December for my allergy testing. The ITCHING and BURNING were so unbearable. I can't even describe how awful it was. Then, the day before my allergy testing, I woke up with a big fat swollen lip! Before Zyrtec, I had never ever experienced anything like this. I threw the rest of the Zyrtec away and swore I would never take it again. I have read hundreds of posts on Zyrtec withdrawal. There is even a Facebook site dedicated to people who are going through the nightmare. All I can say is that you should never even take that first dose without knowing the unbelievable withdrawal symptoms.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

I’ve been a long term user of Zyrtec and generic Zyrtec (Kroger brand) and this year I used this antihistamine exclusively for most of the year. As usual, I stopped taking the medication at the end of October at the time when my seasonal allergies stop being a problem. Within three to four days I broke out in unbearable all over body itching and dreadful hives, especially on my hands. Sleep was impossible with the insatiable, burning and itching. So, assuming this was some kind of end of season allergy, I went back on Kroger generic Zyrtec. The itching subsided and the hives diminished. When my Kroger brand Zyrtec ran out a few days later, I continued with generic **, which has always been my back up meds. The hives and it itching returned within 24 hours. I tried **, but with no effect. So I bought a new bottle of Kroger Zyrtec and bingo, the hives and itching went away.

At this point I became suspicious about the Kroger Zyrtec and sought an opinion from my doctor. She was very sympathetic, but hadn’t heard of anything like this and referred me to an allergist. The allergist reviewed my case, conducted a thorough allergy tests and said: “You’re hooked on Zyrtec; I see it all the time. It’s almost common knowledge amongst allergists...” He gave me two options: stay on Zyrtec for the rest of my life, or try to wean myself off the medication. I’m doing the latter and it’s been hell on earth. I wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy. I’ve been “cold turkey” for about a month and the symptoms maybe beginning to abate a little, but some days it’s hard to be sure. I sleep little. I have to “sleep” in a different bed from my wife as my thrashing around scratching and bleeding stops her from sleeping.

Since encountering my own symptoms, I have discovered there are thousands more like me out there... why the heck don't the makers of Zyrtec and generic versions include a warning on the product that long term use can lead to dependence with severe side effects on sensation? I have reported my experience directly to the FDA and to Kroger pharmacies, but with no response from either. Is anyone taking legal action over this? Isn’t this a valid subject for a class action lawsuit??

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

I began taking Zyrtec daily maybe 15 or so years ago... then its generic equivalent, because of cost. Because I had so many allergies and continued to develop more, I always took my **, religiously. I thought it was a good thing, it helped control my indoor and outdoor allergies as promised. For that I can't complain. However, I have been sick for a long time... fibromyalgia, allergies, RA, chronic inflammation, low immune system etc. As I inched closer and closer to being wheelchair bound, I had to do something. I stopped taking certain prescriptions, started taking probiotics... very helpful. Not enough. Learned more and more about nutrition, toxins, etc. What was my medication doing to me?

Anaphylaxis, on several occasions made ER trips necessary. Then came itchy painful red rashes and hives. Allergic to **, ** and **... but, keep taking prescriptions, including Zyrtec/**. Then came migraines, cluster headaches and a diagnosis of fibromyalgia. Time now to get serious... been tapering down from **. Was told "non-addictive", "safe", blah blah blah... then classification changed. After 6 years on that, it's tough to just stop. The ** was a blessing to stop. My acid reflux was much better without it (after 10 years). Oh but the **, hard to just stop. This is taking as prescribed, not abusing.

So now, I've been focusing on my adrenals and hormones. At the end of the bottle, I thought I need to go get more ** or, maybe I should see what it's like without? Day 1, still in my system. No problem. Day 2, Oh my God! Is this a withdrawal? I woke up nauseous, hands and body trembling. I had the shakes for several hours. Also come up full blown allergy symptoms, runny nose, eyes, sore throat. As the day wore on those symptoms relieved a little, but the itching. Lord have mercy. I wanted to rip my throat off. I couldnt sleep I was so itchy. I used a little ** finally, which brought a tiny amount of relief. Day 3, omg. The itchiness. I feel like I'm living in an anthill... but wait... many of my fibromyalgia symptoms seem relieved.

Did I just lose the last 10 years of my life because of an allergy to Zyrtec? So I pulled up info on Zyrtec/**. Really... this itch is part of the withdrawals... and they know about this... and it's not disclosed so people can make a choice of understanding what will happen to them when they stop taking Zyrtec. OMG, the itchiness is so unbearable. It makes you fiend for another pill. Stopping taking **, makes your body hurt and spasm until you either get thru it or take another (part of why it's addicting). But this stuff is just as hard to get off of as **. Its relentless itching, drives you to need another pill, just to get thru the terror. My husband reminds me that the fibromyalgia freedom that I'm feeling may only be temporary. So, I'm hard pressed at this point to blame an actual ** allergy on my maladies.

But the more I read... God, have I been misdiagnosed. Was the anaphylactic shock, the rashes, hives... fibromyalgia symptoms an allergy to ** all along? Or, maybe the itch is so bad it's distracting me from fibromyalgia? Dear God the itching is so bad. Bathing in a bath with Epsom salt brought some relief, until I got out, the probiotics help some. But the itching is relentless... like all over chicken pox, without the pox. There needs to be disclosure on this. My lips and eyes are swollen, I itch. I itch. I itch. God, how I itch.

It is all I can think about... itching and finding relief. Does this withdrawal mean that I've been addicted to ** all this time? I couldnt even go for further allergy testing years back because I was afraid to stop taking it. And would have to be off of it for 72 hours before I could do allergy testing. I didnt even know about this itch. Just the fear of losing the build up of what I thought was allergy relief. The itch is relentless. From what I've read, it looks like I have 5-14 to more days of this. I hope I make it.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I took Zyrtec or the generic equivalent for over 10 years. I have also suffered with severe itching, dry eye, dehydration, muscle inflammation, ringing-in-the-ear and memory loss. I stopped taking this sinus medicine 2 ½ months ago and the itching has decreased somewhat (it was extremely horrible at first) and I am drinking as much water as I can but am having a hard time to get my body to actually hydrate. I would rather sneeze some and have a runny nose than go back on it or anything else. I hope these terrible issues that I highly suspect now as side effects will eventually dissipate. And for the record, I have not been on any other drugs on a regular basis (sometimes I have taken ** or ** for pain) therefore I really suspect the sinus medication.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

As I sit here scratching, I believe Zyrtec withdrawal itching is very real. In 2011, I ended a relationship with my then boyfriend, who I had discovered was an intravenous drug user/addict. I was worried I had unknowingly contracted Hepatitis C from him, as I had unexplained rash/itching (a symptom of Hep C) and some other issues. Blood tests revealed no diseases. The doctor recommended Zyrtec for my itching, as there was no apparent medical reason for my itch.

After 6 years of daily Zyrtec use, I didn't make the connection until recently. I fell while hiking, dislocating a couple of ribs. Upon examination for the fall, my doctor discovered my liver was inflamed. We repeated bloods tests, all of which were negative. I asked about Zyrtec being the possible culprit of my swollen liver, as I am not a heavy drinker, and have no other risk factors for liver issues. Zyrtec and a multi-vitamin are the only medication I take. My doctor assured me Zyrtec was safe.

I decided to investigate for myself online. I was shocked when I read a list of Zyrtec side effects - I had basically experienced all of them, including fatigue, insomnia, night sweats, flushing, increased heart rate, shortness of breath, joint pain, etc. I previously thought these symptoms could possibly be menopausal. However, when researching online, I happened upon several forums for Zyrtec withdrawal itching. It all suddenly made sense. Every time I had skipped a dose of Zyrtec, or ran out temporarily, I became so itchy I couldn't stand it. The only relief was to take yet more Zyrtec.

The itching seems to start if I touch my skin, or something touches me. Even putting on clothing sometimes causes the intense itching to start. It is a deep tingling at first, which quickly feels like pinpricks, then becomes so severe, it feels as if my whole body is on fire. I feel flushed and my heart rate speeds up. Scratching only seems to make it worse, and creates welts. I resorted to scratching with a natural bristle shower/back brush. Several people on the forums reported both weening themselves off Zyrtec gradually, and "cold turkey".

I decided to stop Zyrtec immediately. I am now on day four. Yesterday, during a follow-up exam, my liver was no longer inflamed. That may be coincidental, as I've seen no other posts about Zyrtec and liver inflammation. Last night I slept well, had no night sweats, nor joint pain, for the first time in years. However, my itching has still been intense at times. I have resisted the urge to take Zyrtec again. I have managed the itch by dry brushing/scratching with the brush, drinking extra water and increasing my vitamin C intake. If I wait it out, it does seem to cease for a bit. The itching does also seem to be happening less frequently now. My hope is I will have success in breaking the Zyrtec cycle, as others have reported. Skeptics may say what they like, I am currently experiencing Zyrtec itching withdrawal, and it is very real. The manufacturer should be required to list withdrawal itching, as a possible side effect.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Took first pill today… 1 hr later face itching around chin & mouth, heart pounding & hot flashes to point of sweating. Will not take ever again... Too bad, because it did dry up sinuses causing my ears to feel full.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I was prescribed Zyrtec a few years ago to help with my grass and mold allergies that were supposedly causing my eczema to flare up really badly. In the Pacific Northwest it's pretty damp and a breeding ground for mold for two thirds of the year so I understood the need for a year round allergy pill. After a few months I opted for a generic version from Costco as it was much cheaper, but the same formula.

After about a year of use I began to experience random bouts of full-body itching. Like INTENSE itching. Scalp, ears, arms, legs, stomach, even private areas. No matter how much or how little I showered or changed detergents, soaps, moisturizers, diet etc the itching would not stop...unless I took a Zyrtec. Then it would be gone within literal minutes. I could NOT skip a dose. I chalked it up to a new allergy that I must have developed and continued to take my Zyrtec every day at the same time like a good little sheep. We had gotten a dog recently as well and though I had never experienced any allergies to animals, I thought maybe I had developed one since she's a heavy shedder.

Well going on year 2 of the full body itching I finally decided to do some thorough research because my doctor was just giving me band-aid solutions and jerking my chain. "Keep taking the pill, you clearly need it to keep the itch away," said my doctor. Lo and behold, I end up here, reading about everyone else's experiences with this awful drug.

Over these 3 years I have also gained quite a bit of weight and my anxiety has been awful to the point of me seeking therapy. Not sure if these two things are correlated with Zyrtec but I would not be surprised. I am absolutely terrified by this and have stopped taking Zyrtec cold turkey. It's day 10 and I am absolutely miserable from the itching, insomnia, anxiety and fatigue. Nothing helps and I am EXTREMELY irritable from it all. All I can do is take ** to help me get a few winks of sleep but I am limiting myself to one a week for fear of developing yet ANOTHER dependency to an OTC. This drug is scary and needs to be pulled off the shelves or have its medical literature edited to include these side effects. I am deeply saddened to see all these people suffering like I am. I'm rooting for you all, don't get discouraged.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

My allergies are horrible every spring and summer. In the past I lost of days of work. I become so congested. I have a constant headache, fatigue, and continuous post nasal drip that irritates my throat. Symptoms escalate every July into asthma and bronchitis necessitating inhalers and courses of steroids. This is despite year round allergy shots, sinus surgeries, multiple home and HVAC filters, no curtains, etc. For many years now my spring and summers have been tolerable with Zyrtec-D, which along with immunotherapy I consider a staple. Yes, I itch somewhat each fall/winter when I stop the twice daily Zyrtec-D, but it is so worth it, I have no complaints.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

When I couldn't find my generic allergy tablet found at Walmart I began using Zyrtec. I began experiencing a feeling of being bitten on my arms and legs. Almost a feeling of being pinched. I would down at leg and no bug was there nor did I see any visible marks of being bitten. I also began experiencing heat flashes to the point of sweating. I did not realize these symptoms were an allergic reaction. It's a hot humid summer and thought these were indeed bugs in my house and the hot flashes I thought were a pre menopausal condition I would have to get used to dealing with.

I saw my doctor for an unrelated condition but explained what I was going through and if maybe the symptoms I was experiencing had anything to do with the reason for my visit. I did tell her that I just started taking the Zyrtec in place of another allergy medication I was taking that the store had been out of stock for over a month so I needed to resort to another form of allergy medicine. She advised me to stop taking the Zyrtec immediately. Within 48 hours the pin pricking feeling (biting sensation) I was feeling completely stopped and I am no longer having the heat flashes anymore either. Thankful to my doctor for realizing this might be related to medication because I really thought I had a bug/mite infestation in my home (which I keep impeccably clean... So I really couldn't wrap my mind around that.)

Consumer beware that I guess this can happen to anyone but if medical symptoms all of a sudden start there very well may be a logical explanation. Grateful that the symptoms stopped. I felt like I was being eaten alive by something I couldn't see and the biting sensation hurt. Thank goodness that my doctor had the wisdom to know. I'm back to my happy self again.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I have chosen Zyrtec because it is a popular brand and I have read good reviews as well as heard good things about it from others. I don't recall having any negative side effects from using it and I know I felt fine afterward. It definitely helped serve it purpose for soothing my allergies and totally met my expectations. There are also generic forms of it to choose from. I also am a fan of all of the forms it comes in, such as pills, tablets, syrups and drops. There really is only one downfall to buying Zyrtec, unless you buy the generic kind, it can be expensive. Otherwise I liked everything else about it.

Original review: July 21, 2017

It seems to work well even given the fact that the relief doesnt last as long as I would like. And it's a popular brand and easy to obtain. When the medication is working, it seems to work really well. However, it does not allows last or comply with the recommended allotted dosage requirements and there has been times I have taken this medications and needed another dose but could not take it until a latter time that complied with the recommended dosage. Nevertheless, I have used it in the past and have had good results and I can find it at my local grocery store aisle. I guess it is just as good as the rest of what's available out there.

Original review: July 21, 2017

It helps when I have to go to my mom's house which she has cats and their hair cause my eyes to water, get red and my nose to run. Now that I'm on this I don't have that issue. It has helped me and my daughter with the allergies but doesn't make us feel drowsy, strange or out of it like others have done. She had a severe allergic reaction from another allergy medicine and this one has done great. However, I dislike the price, if your doctor doesn't write a prescription, then it adds up a lot and can cost a lot. We often don't have much to spend on other items besides bills and groceries. So when the doctor write a prescription, our insurance will cover it completely with no copay.

Original review: July 20, 2017

I chose this brand because it was recommended by my doctor and several of my friends. I felt much better after using it compared to before using it. I like that it is easy to take and makes my allergies go away for a while. I like feeling more healthy. I think this is a very good brand to treat allergies. I would recommend it to friends and family. However I wish that it would cost less to treat allergies. Sometimes I suffer because I can't afford the price. I also wish that all allergy medicines were for 24 hours.

Original review: July 20, 2017

I chose Zyrtec because it sincerely works the best. I prefer it over any other medication that I have taken while I'm experiencing the seasonal allergies. I like the non drowsy formula. I like that it's fast acting and removes the symptoms fast. It's worth the money and it lasts for the whole day. It's a small pill and I like that it is easy to swallow. When I have accidentally let it dissolve in my mouth it did not taste bad. That was a major bonus. However I don't like the price. It's very expensive and it's the only medication that works really well. I have no choice but to purchase it. It's only for 24 hours and wouldn't it be great if it lasted Longer just in case I forgot to take another dose for the seasonal allergies.

Original review: July 19, 2017

The medication takes about 30 minutes to work but after the thirty minutes of waiting time, I had minimal to zero allergy issues. The medication met my needs and it is worth it. So as soon as the medication worked I had minimal to zero allergy issues. The side effects are a very small problem that I deal with but it is worth not having any allergy troubles.

Zyrtec expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Available in tablet, gel cap, dissolving tablet and children’s syrup form, Zyrtec is an antihistamine that works within one hour of dosage to reduce the effects of natural chemical histamine in the bodies of adults and children. Zyrtec is available without a prescription at major pharmacies and retail chains nationwide.

• Wide availability: Allergy sufferers can find relief without making a visit to the doctor’s office since Zyrtec is available at major pharmacies and stores without a prescription. Consumers can also buy Zyrtec online at several major retailers.

• Zyrtec app: Download the Zyrtec app for free on your mobile device to get updated allergy forecasts, keep track of your symptoms and find out how the pollen count is affecting allergy sufferers in your part of town. You can also customize your notifications to be alerted whenever pollen is high in your location.

• Allergy resources: Visit Zyrtec’s webpage for information on how to minimize indoor allergies, how to deal with allergies to dogs and other furry animals and more.

• Available for children: Children as young as two years old who suffer from allergies can find relief with Zyrtec’s specially formulated children’s dissolving tablets or syrup. Consult with your child’s pediatrician before using on a child younger than two years old.

• Indoor and outdoor relief: Zyrtec can relieve both indoor and outdoor allergy symptoms, so you only need to take one pill instead of several to effectively manage all of your allergy symptoms.

• Best for: Zyrtec is best for adults and children who need antihistamine relief.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs