3.89/5
  • 1 star
Based on 64 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 19, 2017

306 Zyrtec Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

I began taking Zyrtec daily maybe 15 or so years ago... then its generic equivalent, because of cost. Because I had so many allergies and continued to develop more, I always took my **, religiously. I thought it was a good thing, it helped control my indoor and outdoor allergies as promised. For that I can't complain. However, I have been sick for a long time... fibromyalgia, allergies, RA, chronic inflammation, low immune system etc. As I inched closer and closer to being wheelchair bound, I had to do something. I stopped taking certain prescriptions, started taking probiotics... very helpful. Not enough. Learned more and more about nutrition, toxins, etc. What was my medication doing to me?

Anaphylaxis, on several occasions made ER trips necessary. Then came itchy painful red rashes and hives. Allergic to **, ** and **... but, keep taking prescriptions, including Zyrtec/**. Then came migraines, cluster headaches and a diagnosis of fibromyalgia. Time now to get serious... been tapering down from **. Was told "non-addictive", "safe", blah blah blah... then classification changed. After 6 years on that, it's tough to just stop. The ** was a blessing to stop. My acid reflux was much better without it (after 10 years). Oh but the **, hard to just stop. This is taking as prescribed, not abusing.

So now, I've been focusing on my adrenals and hormones. At the end of the bottle, I thought I need to go get more ** or, maybe I should see what it's like without? Day 1, still in my system. No problem. Day 2, Oh my God! Is this a withdrawal? I woke up nauseous, hands and body trembling. I had the shakes for several hours. Also come up full blown allergy symptoms, runny nose, eyes, sore throat. As the day wore on those symptoms relieved a little, but the itching. Lord have mercy. I wanted to rip my throat off. I couldnt sleep I was so itchy. I used a little ** finally, which brought a tiny amount of relief. Day 3, omg. The itchiness. I feel like I'm living in an anthill... but wait... many of my fibromyalgia symptoms seem relieved.

Did I just lose the last 10 years of my life because of an allergy to Zyrtec? So I pulled up info on Zyrtec/**. Really... this itch is part of the withdrawals... and they know about this... and it's not disclosed so people can make a choice of understanding what will happen to them when they stop taking Zyrtec. OMG, the itchiness is so unbearable. It makes you fiend for another pill. Stopping taking **, makes your body hurt and spasm until you either get thru it or take another (part of why it's addicting). But this stuff is just as hard to get off of as **. Its relentless itching, drives you to need another pill, just to get thru the terror. My husband reminds me that the fibromyalgia freedom that I'm feeling may only be temporary. So, I'm hard pressed at this point to blame an actual ** allergy on my maladies.

But the more I read... God, have I been misdiagnosed. Was the anaphylactic shock, the rashes, hives... fibromyalgia symptoms an allergy to ** all along? Or, maybe the itch is so bad it's distracting me from fibromyalgia? Dear God the itching is so bad. Bathing in a bath with Epsom salt brought some relief, until I got out, the probiotics help some. But the itching is relentless... like all over chicken pox, without the pox. There needs to be disclosure on this. My lips and eyes are swollen, I itch. I itch. I itch. God, how I itch.

It is all I can think about... itching and finding relief. Does this withdrawal mean that I've been addicted to ** all this time? I couldnt even go for further allergy testing years back because I was afraid to stop taking it. And would have to be off of it for 72 hours before I could do allergy testing. I didnt even know about this itch. Just the fear of losing the build up of what I thought was allergy relief. The itch is relentless. From what I've read, it looks like I have 5-14 to more days of this. I hope I make it.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I took Zyrtec or the generic equivalent for over 10 years. I have also suffered with severe itching, dry eye, dehydration, muscle inflammation, ringing-in-the-ear and memory loss. I stopped taking this sinus medicine 2 ½ months ago and the itching has decreased somewhat (it was extremely horrible at first) and I am drinking as much water as I can but am having a hard time to get my body to actually hydrate. I would rather sneeze some and have a runny nose than go back on it or anything else. I hope these terrible issues that I highly suspect now as side effects will eventually dissipate. And for the record, I have not been on any other drugs on a regular basis (sometimes I have taken ** or ** for pain) therefore I really suspect the sinus medication.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

As I sit here scratching, I believe Zyrtec withdrawal itching is very real. In 2011, I ended a relationship with my then boyfriend, who I had discovered was an intravenous drug user/addict. I was worried I had unknowingly contracted Hepatitis C from him, as I had unexplained rash/itching (a symptom of Hep C) and some other issues. Blood tests revealed no diseases. The doctor recommended Zyrtec for my itching, as there was no apparent medical reason for my itch.

After 6 years of daily Zyrtec use, I didn't make the connection until recently. I fell while hiking, dislocating a couple of ribs. Upon examination for the fall, my doctor discovered my liver was inflamed. We repeated bloods tests, all of which were negative. I asked about Zyrtec being the possible culprit of my swollen liver, as I am not a heavy drinker, and have no other risk factors for liver issues. Zyrtec and a multi-vitamin are the only medication I take. My doctor assured me Zyrtec was safe.

I decided to investigate for myself online. I was shocked when I read a list of Zyrtec side effects - I had basically experienced all of them, including fatigue, insomnia, night sweats, flushing, increased heart rate, shortness of breath, joint pain, etc. I previously thought these symptoms could possibly be menopausal. However, when researching online, I happened upon several forums for Zyrtec withdrawal itching. It all suddenly made sense. Every time I had skipped a dose of Zyrtec, or ran out temporarily, I became so itchy I couldn't stand it. The only relief was to take yet more Zyrtec.

The itching seems to start if I touch my skin, or something touches me. Even putting on clothing sometimes causes the intense itching to start. It is a deep tingling at first, which quickly feels like pinpricks, then becomes so severe, it feels as if my whole body is on fire. I feel flushed and my heart rate speeds up. Scratching only seems to make it worse, and creates welts. I resorted to scratching with a natural bristle shower/back brush. Several people on the forums reported both weening themselves off Zyrtec gradually, and "cold turkey".

I decided to stop Zyrtec immediately. I am now on day four. Yesterday, during a follow-up exam, my liver was no longer inflamed. That may be coincidental, as I've seen no other posts about Zyrtec and liver inflammation. Last night I slept well, had no night sweats, nor joint pain, for the first time in years. However, my itching has still been intense at times. I have resisted the urge to take Zyrtec again. I have managed the itch by dry brushing/scratching with the brush, drinking extra water and increasing my vitamin C intake. If I wait it out, it does seem to cease for a bit. The itching does also seem to be happening less frequently now. My hope is I will have success in breaking the Zyrtec cycle, as others have reported. Skeptics may say what they like, I am currently experiencing Zyrtec itching withdrawal, and it is very real. The manufacturer should be required to list withdrawal itching, as a possible side effect.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Took first pill today… 1 hr later face itching around chin & mouth, heart pounding & hot flashes to point of sweating. Will not take ever again... Too bad, because it did dry up sinuses causing my ears to feel full.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I was prescribed Zyrtec a few years ago to help with my grass and mold allergies that were supposedly causing my eczema to flare up really badly. In the Pacific Northwest it's pretty damp and a breeding ground for mold for two thirds of the year so I understood the need for a year round allergy pill. After a few months I opted for a generic version from Costco as it was much cheaper, but the same formula.

After about a year of use I began to experience random bouts of full-body itching. Like INTENSE itching. Scalp, ears, arms, legs, stomach, even private areas. No matter how much or how little I showered or changed detergents, soaps, moisturizers, diet etc the itching would not stop...unless I took a Zyrtec. Then it would be gone within literal minutes. I could NOT skip a dose. I chalked it up to a new allergy that I must have developed and continued to take my Zyrtec every day at the same time like a good little sheep. We had gotten a dog recently as well and though I had never experienced any allergies to animals, I thought maybe I had developed one since she's a heavy shedder.

Well going on year 2 of the full body itching I finally decided to do some thorough research because my doctor was just giving me band-aid solutions and jerking my chain. "Keep taking the pill, you clearly need it to keep the itch away," said my doctor. Lo and behold, I end up here, reading about everyone else's experiences with this awful drug.

Over these 3 years I have also gained quite a bit of weight and my anxiety has been awful to the point of me seeking therapy. Not sure if these two things are correlated with Zyrtec but I would not be surprised. I am absolutely terrified by this and have stopped taking Zyrtec cold turkey. It's day 10 and I am absolutely miserable from the itching, insomnia, anxiety and fatigue. Nothing helps and I am EXTREMELY irritable from it all. All I can do is take ** to help me get a few winks of sleep but I am limiting myself to one a week for fear of developing yet ANOTHER dependency to an OTC. This drug is scary and needs to be pulled off the shelves or have its medical literature edited to include these side effects. I am deeply saddened to see all these people suffering like I am. I'm rooting for you all, don't get discouraged.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zyrtec?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

My allergies are horrible every spring and summer. In the past I lost of days of work. I become so congested. I have a constant headache, fatigue, and continuous post nasal drip that irritates my throat. Symptoms escalate every July into asthma and bronchitis necessitating inhalers and courses of steroids. This is despite year round allergy shots, sinus surgeries, multiple home and HVAC filters, no curtains, etc. For many years now my spring and summers have been tolerable with Zyrtec-D, which along with immunotherapy I consider a staple. Yes, I itch somewhat each fall/winter when I stop the twice daily Zyrtec-D, but it is so worth it, I have no complaints.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

When I couldn't find my generic allergy tablet found at Walmart I began using Zyrtec. I began experiencing a feeling of being bitten on my arms and legs. Almost a feeling of being pinched. I would down at leg and no bug was there nor did I see any visible marks of being bitten. I also began experiencing heat flashes to the point of sweating. I did not realize these symptoms were an allergic reaction. It's a hot humid summer and thought these were indeed bugs in my house and the hot flashes I thought were a pre menopausal condition I would have to get used to dealing with.

I saw my doctor for an unrelated condition but explained what I was going through and if maybe the symptoms I was experiencing had anything to do with the reason for my visit. I did tell her that I just started taking the Zyrtec in place of another allergy medication I was taking that the store had been out of stock for over a month so I needed to resort to another form of allergy medicine. She advised me to stop taking the Zyrtec immediately. Within 48 hours the pin pricking feeling (biting sensation) I was feeling completely stopped and I am no longer having the heat flashes anymore either. Thankful to my doctor for realizing this might be related to medication because I really thought I had a bug/mite infestation in my home (which I keep impeccably clean... So I really couldn't wrap my mind around that.)

Consumer beware that I guess this can happen to anyone but if medical symptoms all of a sudden start there very well may be a logical explanation. Grateful that the symptoms stopped. I felt like I was being eaten alive by something I couldn't see and the biting sensation hurt. Thank goodness that my doctor had the wisdom to know. I'm back to my happy self again.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I have chosen Zyrtec because it is a popular brand and I have read good reviews as well as heard good things about it from others. I don't recall having any negative side effects from using it and I know I felt fine afterward. It definitely helped serve it purpose for soothing my allergies and totally met my expectations. There are also generic forms of it to choose from. I also am a fan of all of the forms it comes in, such as pills, tablets, syrups and drops. There really is only one downfall to buying Zyrtec, unless you buy the generic kind, it can be expensive. Otherwise I liked everything else about it.

Original review: July 21, 2017

It seems to work well even given the fact that the relief doesnt last as long as I would like. And it's a popular brand and easy to obtain. When the medication is working, it seems to work really well. However, it does not allows last or comply with the recommended allotted dosage requirements and there has been times I have taken this medications and needed another dose but could not take it until a latter time that complied with the recommended dosage. Nevertheless, I have used it in the past and have had good results and I can find it at my local grocery store aisle. I guess it is just as good as the rest of what's available out there.

Original review: July 21, 2017

It helps when I have to go to my mom's house which she has cats and their hair cause my eyes to water, get red and my nose to run. Now that I'm on this I don't have that issue. It has helped me and my daughter with the allergies but doesn't make us feel drowsy, strange or out of it like others have done. She had a severe allergic reaction from another allergy medicine and this one has done great. However, I dislike the price, if your doctor doesn't write a prescription, then it adds up a lot and can cost a lot. We often don't have much to spend on other items besides bills and groceries. So when the doctor write a prescription, our insurance will cover it completely with no copay.

Original review: July 20, 2017

I chose this brand because it was recommended by my doctor and several of my friends. I felt much better after using it compared to before using it. I like that it is easy to take and makes my allergies go away for a while. I like feeling more healthy. I think this is a very good brand to treat allergies. I would recommend it to friends and family. However I wish that it would cost less to treat allergies. Sometimes I suffer because I can't afford the price. I also wish that all allergy medicines were for 24 hours.

Original review: July 20, 2017

I chose Zyrtec because it sincerely works the best. I prefer it over any other medication that I have taken while I'm experiencing the seasonal allergies. I like the non drowsy formula. I like that it's fast acting and removes the symptoms fast. It's worth the money and it lasts for the whole day. It's a small pill and I like that it is easy to swallow. When I have accidentally let it dissolve in my mouth it did not taste bad. That was a major bonus. However I don't like the price. It's very expensive and it's the only medication that works really well. I have no choice but to purchase it. It's only for 24 hours and wouldn't it be great if it lasted Longer just in case I forgot to take another dose for the seasonal allergies.

Original review: July 19, 2017

The medication takes about 30 minutes to work but after the thirty minutes of waiting time, I had minimal to zero allergy issues. The medication met my needs and it is worth it. So as soon as the medication worked I had minimal to zero allergy issues. The side effects are a very small problem that I deal with but it is worth not having any allergy troubles.

Original review: July 19, 2017

A lot of people in my family use Zyrtec. I like this allergy medicine because it really does a great job at relieving my allergies. Without this medicine I am constantly sneezing, watery, and terribly itchy eyes. This medicine has met all my expectations and above. I had no side effects, which is great because that always makes me a little nervous about taking medicine. The only thing I would change would be how often you take it. It would be nice to only have to take it once a week. Sometimes it's hard for me to remember to take a pill each day.

Original review: July 18, 2017

This is a very effective over the counter medication. It does not make me sleepy but it is just as effective. When using Zyrtec I get relief from scratchy eyes and nasal congestion that's common during the spring-summer season. I always feel much better after taking Zyrtec and it meets all my expectations. I would recommend this product to all seasonal allergy sufferers.

Original review: July 17, 2017

I chose this brand because I had problems with other brands making me drowsy or raising my blood pressure. My allergies are pretty much carbon copy to my Mom and she suggested it. I started using it and noticed relief without side effects. It does a good time alleviating my major symptoms over time and doesn't have undesirable side effects like drowsiness that several others cause for me. But I have to supplement it with other medications on bad days. It helps but it doesn't get rid of every allergy related problem by itself. I often have to take an extra pill to dry up my sinuses. Also it's costly.

Original review: July 17, 2017

Zyrtec seemed to work fairly well more than half the time it was used. The medicine relieved some of the symptoms that I was experiencing each time. It did not upset my stomach or make me feel sick or ill in any other way. But it did make me somewhat sleepy a few time when I took the recommended dosage and it did not work every time it used it. Also, the cost for this and many other over the counter allergy medicine seems a bit pricey. My overall experience with Zyrtec was just satisfactory. I chose it because I knew the name and it was recommended both by a doctor and a pharmacist. It was also available at several local retail stores, grocery stores, discount stores and pharmacies. This allergy medication only partially met my expectations.

Original review: July 16, 2017

I chose this product based on TV ads. It's a newer product. It seems that a lot of allergy medications put me to sleep. Zyrtec works well without drowsiness and it's easy to use. It treated all of the symptoms associated with allergies including runny/stuffy nose, itchy, tearing eyes, headache without putting me to sleep. But the price is a little high and I sure wish it cost less. However, I am pretty good at finding coupons in either the newspaper or online for this product.

Original review: July 16, 2017

I saw an advertisement on tv and decided to give Zyrtec a try. I'm pleased I did as it works well. I have tried many that have way too many side effects. This by far is one of the best. It works fast and doesn't make me too drowsy. It alleviates the symptoms so I can get on with my life. But it's a little bit too expensive and not many caplets per box. I would like to be able buy it with a bulk option but sometimes when I go to buy it it's sold out so I have to run around from store to store till I find it. Also, it makes me feel ever so slightly nauseous.

Original review: July 15, 2017

I have been using Zyrtec for quite a long time now and am very happy with them. Zyrtec has helped me out a whole lot with all of my seasonal allergies and my coughing and runny nose and sneezing and itchy watery eyes. A pharmacist recommended them quite a while back and I have been using them ever since and have been very happy with them. Thank you Zyrtec.

Original review: July 15, 2017

I liked that it helped me out with especially doing the right thing by helping me with the agonizing pain of seasonal allergies in the during the pollen is really bad and Zyrtec helps a lot with that for me. The medicine did make me want to go to sleep and drink a lot of water but it didn't affect the consumption of the medication. I still took the medicine and I like it a lot. I really, really wish and want this medicine I like to cure me of allergies. Far fetched I know.

Original review: July 14, 2017

Zyrtec is effective and pleasant. Dries up my sinuses when they inflame due to allergies. It does this without inflaming them and causing unpleasant side effects. It also keeps me awake but not jittery. It keeps my nasal passages clear while not making me sleepy. Unlike other medications that serve this purpose I never feel too dry and it never has caused a nose bleed due to too much dryness. But this, like many over the counter medications is too expensive. It would also be nice if they combined it with a decongestant.

Original review: July 14, 2017

I chose this medicine because the pharmacist suggested it. It met all of my needs and expectations and I felt great after using it. It helped clear out my allergy symptoms, cleared up my nose and my throat. I also did not have any side effects while taking this medicine. This medicine worked great for me.

Original review: July 14, 2017

My family is also allergic and we have tried others. Some friends used Zyrtec and recommended it to me and this product works right away and last up 8 hours before I take it again. It also doesn't make me drowsy, helps me stay focused what I am doing at the time and still be able to perform my job or being with family and enjoying the outdoors. But sorta expensive and needs to lower the price so I can afford the product as well as others. Need to come in both liquid or gel capsule. That way everyone can try it for it will make them feel better quickly and feel relief from taking medication.

Original review: July 13, 2017

Zyrtec has always been my go-to allergy medication when my allergies start acting up. It always works, I never have to use anything else for my allergies. It doesn't make me drowsy at all like a lot of other medications. It is a really great medicine and it is available everywhere you shop. I always take it when I start getting that weird tingling feeling in my sinuses. Within a half of a hour it starts working, and it works throughout the full day. I don't get tired off of it, I just am normal feeling throughout the day.

Original review: July 13, 2017

Zyrtec was recommended by a friend and so I thought I would give it a try. I felt a lot better after using it. I was happy I tried it and been continuing to use when my allergies are bad. I like how it works and the price and the availability of it. Also, it doesn’t give me heartburn like some pills. That’s another plus. I've never had any problems with it so far. It fill every need I have when looking for a good allergy medicine.

Original review: July 13, 2017

I like that Zyrtec gives me almost immediate relief from my symptoms. I often feel extremely rejuvenated and refreshed from my symptoms throughout my day when I choose this medicine. It doesn't cause me to be drowsy throughout the day either and I can continue with my normal daily activities. It has little to no side effects and that's why I will continue to use it as my normal go to allergy medication. I always get the best results when I choose this particular allergy medication. It's also very affordable and can be purchased over the counter as well. It may be out of stock usual retail location where I purchase it but if so I'll just go to another location to buy it.

Original review: July 12, 2017

I needed something to take care of my allergies fast so I thought I would try this product. It works well and doesn't leave me tired so I continue to buy it. It takes care of all of the symptoms I am having. I like that it is not really expensive and that you get your money’s worth. Though I think it should come with more in the package. That is my only real complaint. Other than that, it's very very good.

Original review: July 12, 2017

Zyrtec was new on the market when I first started to use it. I was experiencing severe allergy symptoms and other medications only last for a few hours, causing me to take more medicine. I have suffered with my allergies for over 50 years and Zyrtec is the only medication that gives me some kind of relief extensively. It helps relieve allergy symptoms such as runny eyes, sniffles, sinus congestion, sinus drainage and more. I take one pill in the morning and a last for most of the day. I have not experienced any side effects and it gives me the opportunity to enjoy my time outdoors. It also helps me with indoor irritants such as dust, pet dander, poor air circulation, and dust mites. The bottle is small enough to fit discreetly in my purse or pocket.

Zyrtec is quite expensive but I am willing to pay a higher price to get allergy relief. Additionally, the number of pills in the bottle should be increased to allow for extra dosages if need for 30 day supply. Other than that, Zyrtec has exceeded my expectations. I refer it to my family and friends every chance I get. I am very pleased to use this product and give such a good rating for it.

Original review: July 12, 2017

I have had 3 different nasal surgeries in the past 6 years, and need to take allergy medicine every day. The allergy medication I have taken don't normally work, I had been getting a prescription for it, because all the junk they put you through to get it over the counter is ridiculous, but my ENT, has been arrested and I have not found a new one. I chose this one because it was the best value. I quite like this allergy medicine, I have the best outcome, fewer headaches, and relatively no side effects whatsoever. Others I tried didn't work or gave me a headache.

Zyrtec expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Available in tablet, gel cap, dissolving tablet and children’s syrup form, Zyrtec is an antihistamine that works within one hour of dosage to reduce the effects of natural chemical histamine in the bodies of adults and children. Zyrtec is available without a prescription at major pharmacies and retail chains nationwide.

• Wide availability: Allergy sufferers can find relief without making a visit to the doctor’s office since Zyrtec is available at major pharmacies and stores without a prescription. Consumers can also buy Zyrtec online at several major retailers.

• Zyrtec app: Download the Zyrtec app for free on your mobile device to get updated allergy forecasts, keep track of your symptoms and find out how the pollen count is affecting allergy sufferers in your part of town. You can also customize your notifications to be alerted whenever pollen is high in your location.

• Allergy resources: Visit Zyrtec’s webpage for information on how to minimize indoor allergies, how to deal with allergies to dogs and other furry animals and more.

• Available for children: Children as young as two years old who suffer from allergies can find relief with Zyrtec’s specially formulated children’s dissolving tablets or syrup. Consult with your child’s pediatrician before using on a child younger than two years old.

• Indoor and outdoor relief: Zyrtec can relieve both indoor and outdoor allergy symptoms, so you only need to take one pill instead of several to effectively manage all of your allergy symptoms.

• Best for: Zyrtec is best for adults and children who need antihistamine relief.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs