2.95/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Zicam

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Zicam Reviews

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

The last box I bought the swab would not break off from the base, I have to cut them off, that’s the first time I have experienced that. I hope they can solve that problem. They usually snap right off but this box did not.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I have been using Zicam nasal swabs for a few years. As soon as I feel that 'feel' of a cold coming, I start using the swabs. Not once have I had a full blown cold! My symptoms are very mild and the duration is very short. Love this product and plan to use it forever!

Get expert buying tips about Allergy Medicine delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I purchased the nasal spray a few months ago at the onset of a cold. Used it once and didn't feel like it did anything. So now I feel a cold and sinus pressure coming so I decided to try it again. Worse thing I could've done. I used it about 9 at night, by 1 in the morning I had an intense sore throat. I got up and took an **, by 4 I was taking another ** for this sore throat. Now I'm up getting ready for work and I feel totally congested right in the center of my throat and keep dry heaving. 2 days later my throat is so raw, sore and burning I can't even drink water. I'm thinking I need to go to the ER. Not to mention my thumb keeps itching. I don't even know if that's related to this. I have never experienced this kind of throat pain in my life. I can't eat, drink, talk or sleep. It hurts so bad just to swallow. All I want to do is cry.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Have been taking as recommended for four days now. I started with a small normal head cold with a slightly runny nose and the normal blah feeling of being sick. Saw this product on television and hoped that it could help. I am more sick than I started with and now I have a nasty cough along with my nose running a mile a minute. It literally unstuffs my nose for less than an hour and the remainder of the time I sit and suffer because I can not even drink orange juice after taking one Zicam tablet. I feel these products are made to only subside the symptoms until your own body kills off the virus. Wasted money. I was not supposed to spend and did not get the relief I needed. Never purchasing again, waste of time and money.

Original review: June 3, 2018

I am a senior in my 70's and have been using Zicam (extreme congestion relief) for several years. I have a deviated septum on the right side of my nose. Last summer I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. In order to gain full benefits of the CPAP machine, I started using Zicam before bedtime. On most nights, one squirt of Zicam in both my right and left nostrils was sufficient to open my nostrils through the night and generally was not required until the next evening. There were times when it was necessary to apply the Zicam before normal bedtime but the next day, my sinuses were clear until the next evening.

I have been self-medicating with the Zicam following the same regimen since last September. I visited and ENT and explained what was going on. He was very concerned about my continuous use of Zicam and the risk of it becoming habitual. However, even with a serious sinus infection I have been able to maintain a "one squirt" per nostril per night. I may have experienced a minor loss of taste but it wasn't severe enough to give up on my regimen. I'm considering receiving a Septoplasty and wanting to understand the cost/benefit.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zicam?

Original review: March 18, 2018

Was on vacation this week and felt like I was getting a cold. Took a shot of Zicam nasal Gel in both nostrils before bed. I didn’t feel any particular sensation, but within an hour both of my nostrils felt a numbing pain. I still believed it was the effects of the cold and the next morning I repeated a shot in both nostrils. Noticed after the 2nd application I couldn’t smell or taste anything. I’m on my third day of no smell and taste and looked up my symptoms on the internet. Second article was about Zicam causing Anosmia. There was no visible expiration date on the bottle and I have no memory of purchasing the cold remedy. Can anyone tell me, based on your personal or professional experience how long the inability to smell or taste lasts?

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I first found Zicam quick dissolving powder at a discount store and figured that if I needed it in the future, I'd have it. Within a few days, I developed mild cold symptoms so took a few doses over a few days for relief. It did provide significant relief initially, but by the 3rd day, I developed pain in my cheeks and head. After suffering from this along with a fever for several days, I suspected that possibly the Zicam could have something to do with the onset of secondary symptoms. Then I read about all of the recalls and got concerned so I threw the remainder out. I have had many colds over the years and have never experienced symptoms like these. I will never use Zicam products again.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

When the Zicam swabs first came out they were wonderful, stopped a cold immediately. Was very disappointed when they stopped making them. I was so excited when I found them in the store again! BUT THEY DO NOT WORK ANYMORE!!! I TRIED THEM A FEW WEEKS AGO AND GOT THE WORST CASE OF FLU THAT I HAVE EVER HAD. So disappointing! Now I have got to find some other remedy.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I've used Zicam Cold RapidMelt tablets for years, and have found them very effective in reducing the severity of colds. I also use their allergy nasal product for hay fever. It works great for me. No side effects from either product that I've noticed, unlike mainstream OTC drugs.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

I like Zicam nose spray and use it when I’ve been exposed to colds or flu. It doesn’t burn and I never noticed any adverse reactions to it. Most other meds either make me drowsy or wired. Zicam does neither. This week, my daughter got a terrible sinus infection that resulted in her passing out at work. I thought I felt the symptoms coming on and took Zicam as directed and never got sick. I started recommending it to others. I got a minor nosebleed a few days ago, but it stopped quickly. Then last night, blood started pouring out of my nose and I couldn’t get it to stop. I was home alone and everybody I know is sick, so I decided to drive myself to an emergency room.

I have OnStar, so I asked them for directions to the nearest hospital, because I was so freaked out, I couldn’t remember. They said I shouldn’t drive and called an ambulance. The nosebleed started to dry up by the time they arrived. That’s how I found myself at 1 AM standing in my garage with 6 EMTs chatting about nosebleeds. One of them reminded me that we’re in a drought and the air is super dry. That alone can cause a nosebleed. That’s when I remembered Zicam. I’m going to get checked out by a physician, but I think I overdid it with Zicam. This is not a complaint, just a caution to others.

Zicam expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Zicam makes and sells products that relieve allergy and cold symptoms in adults and children 12 and older. Their allergy products include Nasal Swabs and No-Drip Liquid® Nasal Gel™.  Zicam’s Nasal Swabs are only available at CVS, and their No-Drip Liquid® Nasal Gel™ is available at major national retailers online and in-store.

• Non-drowsy: Zicam’s allergy relief products are non-drowsy, so you can find relief without worrying about getting drowsy during the day.

• Unique formulas: Zicam’s allergy relief formulas are unique in that they specifically provide relief to the nasal passages. These are ideal for people who suffer from nasal allergy symptoms, and the no-drip formula ensures that the gel won’t drip down your throat after application.

• Zicam newsletter: Sign up for the Zicam newsletter to receive quarterly news, promotions, coupons and more. It’s free and only takes a minute to register.

• Facebook promotions: Follow Zicam on Facebook to have a chance of winning prizes and hearing about special promotions first. You can also use Facebook to communicate with Zicam directly. They typically respond to comments privately and efficiently.

• Cold and sinus relief: In addition to allergy relief, Zicam has products for cold and sinus relief, so you can use one brand for all of your cold, sinus and allergy needs. Their children’s cold medicine is made for children ages 6-11.

• Best for: Zicam is best for adults who suffer from nasal allergies.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs