Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.15/5

Unsubscribe at any time.

Express Scripts Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Express Scripts?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Express Scripts?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

One of THE WORST companies I've ever dealt with for the last 3 month just to get money back. Every time I speak with someone I get a different story. Been charged about $570 by their coding error. I have a Zero copay. I request my reimbursement and I received half of it only. All started in July 2020 today is Sept 17. I call them every week, speak to different supervisor. None of them know what they are doing. I finally got a supervisor name Courtney for more that 2hrs, she review it on Sept 1st and she apologized and open claim# **. She stated the claim shouldn’t be closed before they reimburse the payment. I am happy at least finally someone can read and Understand what is going on and she guarantee I should receive my money back. Between then and today Sept 17 I keep calling and they they Are telling me different story and the call end up with it is under review.

Today after 45 min phone call with the A supervisor who have no idea what she is talking rather trying to convince me “it is not guarantee to get my money back or maybe I should submit a claim again and or also I can Reach out to the local pharmacy about my claim”. I ask to speak with Courtney who knows what she does but they refuse to give me her # or transfer me. What a mess. I have to tell this supervisor over and over again to to read the note from the Sept 1st conversation for the 5th times to understanding about what is going on (I Literally have tell her how to do her job) then that is when she apologize and told she see the note me. It will take 72 hr to review and have someone call me back 72 hr?

It has been 3 month since and 17 days since the 2nd claim opened? Express Script must be so proud of theirs well trained employees and customer service team. I have to change my insurance before I get a heart attack and my hair turn gray. For GOD sake, nobody have 2 hr to explain the same thing over and over again. All I want is to get my was back.

Express Scripts response

My name is Shanta and we are sorry that you had a negative experience. We would like to make sure your issue is resolved and does not occur in the future. We would like to discuss your situation further please reply to this message with your telephone number, your address include zip code, and I can have someone reach out. Thank you

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

I am beyond frustrated with this so-called company! 2 out of 3 times denied medications!! At this moment my husband has a broken toe and a bone sticking out of top of his foot. Doctor prescribes either a gel or patch for the pain. It needs a 72 hour pre-authorization, AFTER, Dr. sends in prescription request, before he can receive any pain medication-frustrating in itself. Of course, both medications are denied because supposedly this medication is only for back pain/arthritis pain. So, I ask if there is an alternative and Express Scripts has no idea and has to call the pharmacy. Pharmacist says no alternative. Rep. tells me to have Dr. appeal denial! REALLY? Go through that entire process for a topical anti-inflammatory pain gel? Do doctors not know what they are prescribing anymore, but the insurance companies do?

1st denial - my 12 year old son, who has allergic hive reaction to body temp rise is prescribed the Epi Pen, in case of an emergency - DENIED! Too bad if he has a deadly allergic reaction one day! So we don't have the best insurance and we don't have the worst (so I thought). We definitely pay enough every month to not have to go through these frustrations when we are in pain or have a medical issue. In all my years, all my insurances, HMO, PPO, even state insurance etc. have never, ever had this issue with medication approval. It makes me scared when, God forbid, we really, really need it, like after a surgery or something horrible. And other reviews I've read, people who really need meds, can't get them, so sad! So, if you have a choice, stay far away from this company and if you see it on an insurance plan, be prepared to fight some battles and probably not win!

Express Scripts response

Get buying tips about Online Pharmacies delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Sept. 13, 2020

I am required to use Express Scripts mail order pharmacy by my insurance (Tricare) or I have to pay full price with no insurance reimbursement. The service is absolutely horrible, the only thing worse is their customer service who take a condescending tone then wonder why you get rude with them. Their FAQ say they process prescription request in 48-hours, routinely it takes over 7 full days to process the requests. I have had several occasions where I have run out of medicine while waiting for them to ship my medication. I have also had requests cancelled with with no explanation or reason. I have had medication changed and canceled a refill, but it was still sent and I was still charged. I have nothing positive to say about express scripts and I wish my insurance would cover prescriptions from a local pharmacy. It is a shame that the GAO can’t spend some time investigating government sponsored health insurance rules.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Sept. 8, 2020

My insurance requires me to use Express Scripts for my medications. I was due to need a new package of my medication (which only comes in three month supplies). I ran out of this medication on 8/23/20, the week prior I realized I had never received my refill even though it said it was delivered, I called and they blamed it on the post office. They sent me a new pack but it wouldn’t arrive for a week so my options were go a week without my medication or pay out of pocket (about $100) for my meds. A week later the replacement pack still had not arrived so I called again, according to Express Scripts I denied it and it was returned to them. I did not deny it.

The worker stated there was absolutely nothing she could do to help me until they received the prescription back. I elevated my issue to a supervisor out of complete frustration. That supervisor advised I could get my prescription at a local pharmacy free of charge. That was not the case. It is now 9/8 and I am still without my medication and have called express scripts multiple times a day every day without a solution.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

One if not THE worst companies I've ever dealt with. None of the departments knows what the other is doing. Every time I speak with someone I get a different story, even if it's about their policy. The only time I will get my medication on time is if I'm the one checking up on it, if there are any issues I have to be the one to chase everyone around to make sure everything is done. I'm speaking facts since too many times I've had delays & they go from delays to now total cancellation of my medication without anyone even informing me it would be canceled or that is was canceled. About every third order we have some kind of an issue, find another Pharmacy and have more time and less grey hair.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

Placed order to refill asthma inhaler $80. Not filled for 3 weeks. Called about refill. Offered 1 day shipping. Checked next day. Shipped standard shipping. Out of meds. Called express scripts for local supply. Told me to pay $40 more and get it local. No compensation offered to get local. Cash strapped I have to hope I don't have an attack. This company is ridiculous!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Aug. 24, 2020

Express scripts representatives called my phone several times persuading me to transfer the medications that weren't already required to be filled through them. At first I was reluctant and after a while being that I don't drive, I did ask the dr to order the meds through them. 2 of which were considered "controlled". The very first fill wasn't even processed until 6 days estimated left. Started processing today on a Monday, was told it wouldn't be Shipped until this Friday, suggested I pay for 2 day shipping so I did only to tell me it wouldn't actually arrive until the following Wednesday. 5 days after it was due. Now had I originally went with the free standard, I'd have been 7 -10days after the fill date.

Called the call center, was told they were "sorry" nobody mentioned that to me during the transfer process and that maybe future orders would be best filled through a local Walgreens. I explained that that wasn't an option for RIGHT now, so what did they plan to do. She said she sent a "message asking for escalated processing" but no promises. Then proceeds to go back through the fill history and mention I got them a day or 2 early each month for the last few months and I should have plenty. Which when that count is included it is STILL is the 6 days. So not only am I being completely inconvenienced, I was treated as if I was hoarding the medicine or something.

Last month my birth control THAT IS REQUIRED to be filled through them, was shipped on July 24th. I did not receive it until AUGUST 20th. I tried emailing and contacting them and of course same run around. This is so not worth the headache. By the end of the day, I have had more issues trying to get my medication than I ever did just going to local pharmacy month to month. They are never on time, and never care when you call. The call center never has the same solution as the supervisor that gets on the phone after having no successful outcome with the initial customer service rep. They act like the pharmacy is a whole different area & all they do is take the calls. So why are you answering then? Why aren't these calls directed straight to the pharmacy.

So as of right now, I had a month of no birth control. No answers. And all I have for this current rx due, is a" heads up "that my next prescription will be 5 days late...maybe, maybe only 1. Shipping dates an estimate but, probably more than likely 5, but then again she doesn't know for sure????‍ This company is running in circles and doesn't care as long as they are getting paid and can get you to get your prescriptions to them instead of the local pharmacy. Support the local pharmacy and pay a bit more to get your medications on time.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

As part of my switching healthcare providers, I found that Express Scripts would be handling all my prescriptions. "How bad could it be?" I thought naively. Express scripts has been nothing short of obstructionist when it comes to getting my medications covered. I have never needed prior authorization to get my prescriptions before, but now my doctor is in a never-ending game of telephone with corporate criminals who only can make a profit by denying us medications that doctors have prescribed. Who the hell do they think they are? Why do they know better than our doctors? I don't know, but I have ended up paying out of pocket several times due to how untimely their process for approval is. This company disgusts me.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2020

Their Computerized System "CALLED ME" and their System does not understand when I answer YES or NO. I speak English as my Primary Language and after 4 attempts to respond to their system. It hung up on me in their computerized system and asked me to call them back. I called them and got Nowhere. I called a different number where they identified my PHONE NUMBER and wanted my name and Date of Birth. Then I got transferred to a live person who wanted me to VERIFY all the same information. I was returning their call, they asked me to call and I need to verify TWICE. FOR WHAT PURPOSE?

Original review: Aug. 18, 2020

My son has express scripts for both my primary and secondary insurance. CVS was unable to process the secondary insurance (they ran it wrong according to express scripts). I have attempted to file a claim 3 times with all the documentation including the receipt, tag from medicine, and EOB from express scripts given to me by Blue Cross Blue Shield (they are the primary) along with their claim form.

Each time I am denied stating they need EOB from the primary insurance. However, they are the primary insurance through Premera Blue Cross Blue Shield. I have spent close to 15 hours on phone and each time the representative is unable to resolve (All sorts of excuses- "I can't open it," "I don't have training," "We need escalate this to off duty case manager," "I can't receive email," "The case management team is closed or doesn't accept calls," etc.). All I want is my money back on my claim.

Express Scripts Company Information