3.38/5
Based on 1,156 ratings submitted in the last year

2953 Express Scripts Consumer Reviews

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 12, 2019

Worst pharmacy experience in my life!! I'm a type I diabetic for over 35 yrs so have lots of experience. I changed insurance coverage/pharmacy coverage in Mar 2019, so I called Express Scripts today (July 2019) to get my 3-mos prescriptions transferred to my new pharmacy (which I should have not named because it just gave these people someone to point to so they DON'T have to do a thing). Well... first, they tell me I have no active prescriptions, I tell them I have their printed invoice dated in Mar 2019 that says my prescriptions have 1 and 2 refills left, oh wait they say I have 2 profiles and the active ones have been sent to my new pharmacy in Mar when my coverage expired. So, how did they know who to send my prescriptions to? I guess I won't have meds for a few days until my dr gets back next week. Hope won't need an ER visit or I know who my lawyer will call!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 5, 2019

When I called 800.711.5672 a female who I think said her name was "Grace" (hard to tell due to her poor enunciation and clearly "hate my job" tone of voice) asked me several times for information I couldn't supply and then simply hung up on me rather than trying to get me connected to someone who could help the situation. I called back and got someone else who was able to at least transfer me to another department. But I have to tell you the first employee made it obvious from the second she answered that she is just there to skate by and get a paycheck, not actually be helpful to ANYONE.

Get expert buying tips about Online Pharmacies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 3, 2019

Incompetent!! I was so Happy with Medco. But when Express Scripts bought them out years ago it's been all downhill! They never get anything right. They tell you that you are all set and they are processing your order. 2 weeks later when you haven't received your order you call them up an they didn't do what they said. They also don't follow up with you if there is something wrong with the order. Avoid this Express Scripts! I warned you.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I am FUMING mad! Express Scripts is charging me $5 per refill on required maintenance medication for my asthma and PSA just because MY choice is to not have them mailed to my home to sit outside in the mailbox in the hot and humid Texas heat. Now I am having to prove with a form AND the doctors signature that I can buy ** cheaper through my preferred pharmacy with a coupon from the manufacturer. The last time I checked, we as tax paying Americans still had the "freedom of choice." Makes me wonder what kind of "kickback" these employers are getting from Express Scripts! Express Scripts will NEVER get my business.... They are crooks and incompetent crooks at that!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 1, 2019

Company my wife works for switched to this joke of a business last month. I just had back surgery from having a broken back. Ever since we was forced to deal with them I have been waiting on a prior authorization for a month now to get my medications. Called today and they tell me I was denied and I have to appeal... LIKE REALLY??? What a ** joke these people are.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Express Scripts?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 30, 2019

Your management would all need to be retrained so they understand what "advocating" requires. This is not an isolated issue with your company, I have NEVER had anything close to what the basic job description of a patient advocate should be. I challenge you to review my call this morning with the two employees I dealt with and convince me that they advocated for me in any way shape or form.

Here are the specifics: I received an automated call stating that they were not going to allow my prescription and told me to call if I wanted to appeal. I called immediately, the first employee (Michelle in Bhiliens, she had a thick accent so I'm unsure of the location) had me on hold the 1st time for over 7 minutes. When I questioned why, she said the patient advocate wasn't responding to her request. When she wanted to put me back on hold I requested she stay on the line with me. She said she would, SURPRISE, she didn't! I spent another 5-6 minutes on hold.

When the patient advocate finally answered I asked why the prescription was denied, she read some generic blurb. She couldn't or wouldn't answer even a basic question. For example, "Did you contact my doctor?", couldn't or wouldn't answer. (FYI: my doctor was on call, so he was available to clarify the need for the drug). Bottom line it seems that the qualifications for being an Express Scripts patient advocate is the ability to read denial statements from a computer screen, my four year grandchildren can do that.

My husband's employer is probably one of your biggest customers. My goal is to provide them with a list of issues I've had with your company and plead that they terminate your contract or at the very least not renew. You don't respect their employees and don't deserve their business. People are genuinely sick and being subjected to this kind of indignity is nothing short of shameful.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 28, 2019

They have been telling me they have been taking my payments for the last 4 months. And now they want all the payments that they say they didn't take all at once otherwise they won't send out my refills. "All the money NOW," they say. Real caring, huh? Terrible, ignorant, horrible and that being nice.

Original review: June 27, 2019

I could write a book about my experiences from the past 5+ years I have dealt with them. For generic meds, I just pay out of pocket but my eye meds have no generic and Express Scripts is about 1/3 the cost of a local pharmacy, so I try to deal with them. Now they have a Prior Auth process which took 3 days and multiple calls (to insurance co 1 time, Dr. Office 3 times and Express Scripts 6 times) to get approved. They will finally schedule shipping for 7-10 BUSINESS days and I will be out of the med in 3 real time days. I do not have high blood pressure but my head is about to explode so I need to cool off. I cannot discuss this further because the last comment from Member Services was "well, there's nothing I can do about that." Good thing I will only have eye pain while I await the RX arrival and not a heart attack, stroke or seizure. So, SO aggravating!!!!

Original review: June 27, 2019

I tried to register on their website because my new insurance plan endorses them. The website wouldn’t let me register, stating that I already had an account. Weird, but ok. So, I go to recover my account and it says that I don’t have one and need to register. Great. So I go through the steps of registering again and am told that I have an account. What? At this point, I call the help line and the lady was super nice and able to send me a password reset email. I reset the password and login to see that this account is tied to an insurance I haven’t had for a couple of years now. So I try to update my insurance and am told that I need to call.

So, I call and get through to someone really quickly. I tell her that I need to update my insurance and give her all the info she needs. She then proceeds to tell me that there is no account for me. I told her that’s weird because I just called to get my password reset and didn’t have any problems. Lo and behold, she finds my account! And then asks me what I need, meaning that she didn’t listen to a word I said. I explain again and she says there’s no way she can update my insurance, because my insurance company has to send that information and they haven’t. What???? I’ve had this insurance for over a year! And when I try to register with my work email and my new insurance number, it says I already have an account! Such a waste of time!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 26, 2019

Express Scripts, need to be investigated by the United States (FDA). Charging patients wrong amounts, no refunds, hurting military families. I am a military wife, using this pharmacy through Tricare. Why? My husband is a 2 tour Vietnam veteran, fighting for us to have a better quality of life. This pharmacy has no respect for Doctors orders and violates HIPP. Please Tricare, find another pharmacy for military families. Please investigate this company. ENRON isn't the only company scamming consumers. Powerful people, I pray you look into this company. God is watching. I will continue to suffer, praying, the next generation will not. Insurance companies feel their untouchable. President Trump, please look into this.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 25, 2019

This is one of the worst companies I have ever dealt with. Long waits for customer service. Long waiting times to get medication filled. I had a problem getting heart medication order. I spent 9 hours (5 hours one day 4 the next, no exaggeration) on the phone trying to get this medication. I am only allowed to order a 90 day supply at a cost of $150 (used to cost me $5 a month at my pharmacy. ES does not honor patient assistance programs.). I switched over another medication (because they will not cover it locally), I have been without that medication for 2 weeks now. I have requested an invoice via the contact form on the website. Received response "We will get back with you within 24 hours." It now has been 96 hours. Still no invoice. Why am I a customer? My employee health benefits forces us to use them.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 23, 2019

This company is beyond horrible. They accidentally took my medication off auto fill forcing me to use left over and expired medication. After I called they tried to blame my Doctor who had submitted every thing perfectly. They blamed me for not calling earlier and they refused to mail my medication until I paid an outstanding $10.00 balance over the phone. I asked for a $10 - credit for the inconvenience and they refused.

Original review: June 21, 2019

Once Express Scripts bought out CareMark the problems started and continue. I, too am a Military Retiree with a spouse that also has Express Scripts since it is FORCED on us when we are away from our local military base. They sent a prescription out that was NEVER asked for. We refused to open it and told them that we would not pay for it. We fought it with our charge card. Luckily we won. But, other times, we needed the prescriptions, which Express Scripts claimed they did not have. So, our doctor was contacted to send it into them again. Then, we got doubles.

The people on the phone are so rude that I ended up with a single point of contact to speak with at Express Scripts that would handle the problems. My husband needed a specialty medication and which Express Scripts inflated the price. We found that it was so much cheaper in Canada, but had no access to get it. Please Congress SCRAP EXPRESS SCRIPTS as the headaches that they cause are extensive with them being the largest mail order company. EXPRESS SCRIPTS just doesn't care.

Original review: June 20, 2019

So I have been refilling through Express Scripts as a Retired military member and I can tell you that it is the absolute worse company that TRICARE could have possible contracted with. The customer service representatives are unprofessional and completely rude. I have NEVER received a medication on time, they are consistently 2-4 weeks late on refills and always blame “the backend process” for the issues of mailing the medications late.

Today I had a supervisor tell me that if I were to ration my medication I could make sure I had enough to cover the gap and it would solve the problem. He talks over me and told me that he would monitor the shipping and let me know when it shipped. This does absolutely nothing. It only makes the problem worse because they do nothing to attempt to fix the problem and get the medications shipped on time. The problem is nobody cares and nobody will do anything about it because it’s easy to blame a contractor and makes it easy to ignore your customers whom depend on you.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: June 20, 2019

Express Scripts works well once you have a prescription registered with them, otherwise starting from scratch it’s a frustrating experience. The Express Scripts app does not keep up with the data on their main website so using the app to follow a new prescription is worthless. Calling customer service requires going through multiple menus with no selection to speak to a representative requiring you to say “representative“ multiple times. Once you have a customer rep on the phone they apparently can’t see what’s going on with your latest prescription. This information is apparently in a different department so you have to be transferred to them but you have to push for it otherwise they just want you to recheck in 24hrs. Their go to excuse is they haven’t heard from the doctors office even if you know they have. Another delaying tactic. I have to say the reps are very nice but seemed to be stymied by the system up for them.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 19, 2019

I have requested on several occasions that my privacy be respected and that as a 62 year old woman I not be treated as someone's child! My prescriptions come to my home addressed to my husband. This has repeatedly happened and I have repeatedly requested (politely) that it not occur again. It is a matter of patient confidentiality and privacy, yet EXPRESS SCRIPTS HAS AND CONTINUES TO DISREGARD PATIENT CONFIDENTIALITY!!! I cannot recommend this mail order pharmacy to anyone -- yet it is the only mail order pharmacy on my insurance plan. (I have checked.) I am at the point that convenience is not worth the disrespect and will order my 90 supply at my local Rite Aid and go pick them up in person. Rite Aid is respectful and HIPAA compliant.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 17, 2019

When cancelling your prescriptions or auto refill, make sure that you get the representative’s name, date and time of the call. I called to stop my subscription because I transferred to a new job. But I received an email that my medicine will be mailed soon. I called back and they promised to stop it. Guess what, it still came! Luckily my prescription only had that last refill or else they would have kept coming. Now they want me to pay for it! It is unbelievable how a company just lies to their customers. They should stop operating. I hope companies/employers would stop using this shameful, dishonest and incompetent company. I hope karma will get you all real soon!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 15, 2019

This is the absolute worst company Tricare could have contracted with to handle our prescriptions. They mess up my scripts every single time. I am so fed up with these rude people. I need two of meds marked as brand name only. Every time my doctor's office sends in the brand name script, this place changes it to generic, which I cannot take.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: June 9, 2019

My old provider, Caremark, would contact the doctor if a prescription ran out, and Express Scripts did when we were first forced to switch over. They stopped doing so with no notice. It is inconvenient, but I can deal with it. If you have no choice but to use Express Scripts, I recommend that you regularly count the number of pills in the bottles. I have been a few short before, but in a bottle that was supposed to contain 90 pills I just received 27. The count on the bottle says 90.

Original review: June 4, 2019

I deal with a lot of pharmacies and I cringe when I have to go through Accredo. It is never a smooth process and they prolong every prescription. I have an issue with every prescription they get, but we are REQUIRED to go through them. It should be illegal!

Original review: June 4, 2019

Accredo Specialty Pharmacy will call you and then when you answer, it's a computer. That's about as stupid as calling someone and putting them on hold. I need an actual person to call me, not a stupid computer. Then when I call them back, have to go through 4 minutes of wading through another computer just to get a live person on the phone. When I finally talked with a person, they have a lengthy script that they have to go through, repeating the patient information at least 3 times. I was 15 minutes on the phone with Melissa before I could get my cancer meds sent to me. Totally NOT reasonable.

Original review: June 3, 2019

If you are in a hurry for your medications, do not order from Express Scripts. Don't waste your time paying for expedited service. It doesn't matter. Terrible company, but I have to use them because my employer does.

Original review: June 3, 2019

They sent meds (refills) I didn't order. I called to tell them to take me off of "auto-refill." They said I wasn't on auto refill. They say I ordered them. I stopped taking two of the meds one month and two months before they were refilled. I tried to explain this in an e-mail and their response was explaining what would happen if I tried to send them back. None of the bottles are sealed and they don't accept returns so nothing can be sent back. They claim I ordered them online so no refund will be issued. I was not even home at the time these orders were placed.

Original review: June 3, 2019

In January my pain center started to use narcotic electronic scripting and so I had them send them into Express Scripts who are half the price of most pharmacies in copay. My first bad experience was them taking a long time to ship the items and cancelling the second pain script for a later month due to federal laws so they say even though my pain clinic had done both for the same date and then a note about a refill date, which I found out is how it's meant to be done for a pharmacies to hold two electronic class two scripts. My later ones had issues of major delays and I contacted them about why one of my meds hadn't shipped. They then sent me a email back stating that it was missing parts and that they had been trying to contact my pain clinic and to call them.

So I called my pain clinic and they document all calls and had no record of Express Scripts trying to contact them and so they called Express Scripts to be told the script is fine. Nothing wrong with it and that they hadn't tried to contact them. I wish Blue Cross who are excellent would use another pharmacist. I did ask them about any other low copay ones and they told me that it's up to the pharmacist not them discount wise. All the pharmacies I have contacted say they cannot tell me my copay without the scripts. So I either put up with a horrible service from Express Scripts at half price or go to my local one who are very reliable.

Original review: June 1, 2019

My son died 15 years ago taking his own life. I am not addicted to this medication. Within these few years I have lost 4 brothers and 1 sister to cancer. I have recently found out my last brother now has it. Now I have to wait 5 days just to get a prescription filled through Walgreens. No refills. 1 prescription. This is getting beyond ridiculous. Possibility of checking into new medication company.

Original review: May 31, 2019

Express Scripts fills generic prescriptions from Manufacturers (mostly from India and China) who received violations warning letters from the FDA. The one company they used to fill my generic Lipitor RX is Apotex. Research it and you'll see Apotex Group's Indian manufacturing company, Apotex Research, picked up a warning letter from the Food and Drug Administration following an inspection last November that revealed a number of significant violations of current good manufacturing practices (cGMP). The company has been on import alert since April 2018. Always check to see who manufactures your medicine.

Original review: May 24, 2019

Express Scripts is the worst Pharmacy and Insurance I have ever had because of its inconsistencies in receiving, filling, delivering and communications about my prescriptions. They are all about confusion so they can get the financial gain on the patient. Today I received an email about my RX called in with a link. I’m thinking it’s been wrongly called in because it is the previous lower dose. I then have to spend the next 20 minutes waiting to finally speak to someone who can tell me the link is wrong along with giving me the correct information. I have no idea who the impersonal person was claiming to be a ‘pharmacist’ who rudely then told me to blame my doctor.

They always try and blame all of their mistakes on your physician. When I finally got to the bottom of it a supervisor called me with the real information. They are all about a lot of tricks and smoke screen to get you to give up and go to your local retail. Why? They don’t put this anywhere in the sign up information but yes you do pay more at local retail because Express Scripts offers Zero Coverage unless you buy direct from their inconvenient mail order. Forget you may need your medication promptly. It’s all about stuffing their greedy unethical pockets.

Original review: May 24, 2019

I would have given a zero star if the option is provide. I was with Kaiser last year and had a year-long prescription for daily hypothyroid medication from my Kaiser doctor, which will be valid till 2020. Unfortunately, my insurance had to be switched to Blue Cross and I have to use ES to have 90-day's refills. Since I have 2 remaining refills, I don't want to waste it and spend couple hundreds dollars to visit a new doctor to get a new prescription. So I called ES. At my first call, I was told that Kaiser had to call them since they are not allowed to contact outside pharmacies. This is not the common practice when it comes to transfer.

It always is that the new pharmacy calls the old pharmacy to initiate the transfer. With that being said, I called Kaiser and was told that ES had to give Kaiser a call. So at my second call, ES asked me if I still saw the doctor that prescribed the prescription. If this is not the case, then they would be not able to transfer since they can't contact the doctor whenever any questions rise of the prescription. I told them that this was my maintenance medication and would not be any issues about it. When I was questioning their reason, the operator became rude and impatient, trying to talk over me again and again. So I requested to speak to the supervisor.

The supervisor told me a completely different reason. ES doesn't transfer existing prescriptions instead they contact Dr.s to get new ones. This is something unheard of. There are valid prescriptions sitting in a pharmacy, why the doctors who are prescribed them need to be bothered. Isn't it being redundant and an unnecessary obstacle for the patients. For me, since I am not a member of Kaiser this year and the doctor can't be reached anymore, so I am stranded and not able to get my refills unless I pay extra couple dollars to visit a new doctor. ES doesn't have any considerations on their patients regardless how important the medications are to their patients' lives and how desperate their patients are.

Resolution response: June 3, 2019

Received the medicine on 30th May after a lot of phone calls and payment of $75.

Original review: May 23, 2019

Express scripts delivered my medicine to an incorrect address. I placed an order online, and while delivering the selected one of the previous addresses. Now whoever received the package denies receiving it. There several issues with this company. Every time I place an order I would have to call them again to reconfirm. Only this time i did not call them and they messed up my order. This is a very important medication for me that I cannot miss. Now they are asking me to pay for replacement and that too they cannot do since there is not refill available. Disappointing!!

Original review: May 23, 2019

This is simply the worst pharmacy service I have ever had to work with. I was forced to go through this pharmacy. They never know what they are talking about. When questioned, the representatives will lie. They will take all your information down just to transfer you and make you list it all again. I'm seriously concerned to take the medication that I am supposed to get from here.

Express Scripts Company Information