4.49/5

Looking for a reverse mortgage lender?

Live Well Financial

Whether you are in the market for your first home or in the planning stages of retirement, Live Well Financial provides the tools you need to make the next step.

Serving consumers since 2005, we specialize in both traditional and reverse mortgages. Considering a reverse mortgage? Contact us today and begin enjoying the best of what your golden years has to offer.

View More View More

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

430 Live Well Financial Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

My mother was in need of financial assistance and against everyone's advice got a reverse mortgage with this company. My mother developed cancer and wanted to ask them how we could take care of the reverse mortgage and every time we called they would say their computer systems were down and they couldn't assist us. She passed away and 3 days after she died the harassing letters started coming. They would send multiples of the same letter all telling me they were going to foreclose. We hadn't even been through probate. I mailed in all the forms they requested and court documents but they always seem to come up with something else I need to sign or fax in, all while threatening to foreclose.

The company told me I had 6 months after the date of probate to either sell or buy the home, but now a mere 2 months later they're back at it with their letters and phone calls threatening to foreclose. I had a man call me at 7 a.m on a Saturday threatening that they were starting foreclosure proceedings. When I call them their computer systems are once again down. I can't believe a financial company that deals with people's homes and money would have such a terrible computer system. Please do your homework and if you can't immediately pay the mortgage back don't stick it to your surviving family members, it's not worth it! Live Well Financial will never leave you alone even if you jump through all their hoops and send them everything. At this point my attorney will be getting involved because I don't trust a word this company tells me anymore, and I trust their computer system even less.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

We paid all the charges that come with a reverse mortgage only to find out that Live Well doesn't do their homework. So all the hype worked for them and not us. The person who was all uplifting and positive then told us today tough luck. Now we are still getting billed from a company called QuickCert for $125.00. We paid dearly as people on a fixed income looking for relief. We called Live Well and they brushed us off like yesterday's dirty laundry. No room at the inn so to speak. Not happy, wouldn't recommend.

Get expert buying tips about Reverse Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

After my wife and I agreed to an amicable split in late 2017, I realized that the only way to keep my house was to get a reverse mortgage that would allow me to cash out my wife's share of our 100% home equity. Thank God I hooked up with Lisa ** and her team! For almost 6 months, Lisa worked with me on the phone and via email. She worked tirelessly to make sure that I understood every aspect of the process and fought tirelessly to get me the absolute best terms possible. An added benefit of working with Lisa was her computer savvy, allowing us to share documents and information electronically. We completed the process in June, 2018. My now ex-wife is happy because she got her cash, I'm happy because I'm in my home and have no mortgage payment. Thank you, Lisa! You have a friend for life and if any of my friends or family ever inquire about a reverse or conventional mortgage, I'm sending them your way.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I had a serious illness and we needed money to pay medical bills. My son decided that a reverse mortgage was what we needed to do. I had always been opposed to a reverse mortgage and I’m still a little nervous about it. Still, my son started it with another company and after working with the company briefly, I was not pleased. I saw an ad for Live Well, so we gave it a try. My son did most of the application process and he had the process started before I knew anything about it. The process went fine. I had a loan officer named Rick. He was excellent and a triple plus on every score. My son and I were both extremely pleased with him and he should be commended. Overall, my experience with Live Well was very good and I was very satisfied. We’ve been very pleased that we made the switch.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I was looking into a reverse mortgage when Live Well Financial called me. I've looked at four different companies and I felt that Live Well was the right one. Live Well was the only one who gave me a chance. Everybody else said they would do this and that but in the end, when I did all the work and did what they asked me to do, and even paid to get an appraisal, they said, “No. We can't do this because of that.” Travis from Live Well was honest and concerned. After I talked to him that day, he got right on it, and in about three days, somebody was here to do the appraisal. It was a one-step process. When I did what he asked me to do, he was right on track. They were always nice to me. When I call and they weren't there, they return my call back. They stayed in contact with me through the process. I felt great about the guidance that they gave to me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Live Well Financial?

Original review: July 31, 2018

My medications add up to $1,200 a month so I got a reverse mortgage and it is making things easier. It has relieved me by almost $400 a month not going out in a mortgage. The application process at Live Well Financial was okay but I didn’t like the part where I had mountain stacks of signatures. Two of which had a stack of papers twice and five dozen signatures each time. But I’m quite pleased with the rep who assisted me and the whole thing went very well. I deemed him to be very professional, nice and very easy to do business with. I’ll be sending a copy of his card to a friend of mine who is also struggling with a lot of medical debt and big drug bills.

Original review: July 31, 2018

We wanted to take care of some medical bills that we got, but the reverse mortgage didn’t quite work out the way we thought it was going to. My husband did most of the dealing with Live Well Financial and when I was on the phone listening in on the conversation, all of the questions were directed to him. I was not even included. The loan officer could have asked for me to be on the line also instead of it just being my husband even though he was the one that did the calling to set everything up to talk to someone. They needed my signature yet, I was kinda left out of it. But later on, after I voiced my comment, I was included.

We made up our mind to do the reverse mortgage anyway, although the lump sum that we thought we were gonna get was not what we got. We didn’t get very much at all and we can’t touch anything for a year. We got $300 that we could draw out, but that was it for the year, and that was not what I was understanding. In a way, I kinda regret doing it because I feel like Live Well Financial didn’t do what they said they were going to do and they couldn’t with what we had to offer. The communication wasn’t there and my husband was not happy with it either.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Live Well Financial's term is not in line with what Congress agreed to. For example, Congress said a prospector is entitled to 50% of the valuation, but Live Well was gonna give me 25% of the valuation of the property. Then what they have there is that I can draw from the other 25%, which has nothing to do with what Congress said. I am 1000% sure because I am from New York City and my attorney in New York City has a lot to do with reverse mortgages.

The rep was tricky but very good. But the appraiser was a crook. I am not wet behind the ears when it comes to real estate. I know real estate and I was cheated. He valued the property at approximately $25,000 less than what its value was. I asked the rep if they specified for the appraiser to do such a thing. I know it can get somebody to devalue a property and corroborate. He said no, which didn’t satisfy me because I've done two valuations before since I was having a problem with the company I insured with. I also told the rep from the beginning that I was not interested in their line of credit. I have been offered a line of credit for more than 35 years and I refused every one of them. He ended up giving me a line of credit that I could draw from.

Original review: July 29, 2018

My brother and sister-in-law did a reverse mortgage with Live Well Financial and had such good experience. We were looking into different reverse mortgages and some others told me that we’ll get way more money with them, but then when push came to shove, things changed and that made me nervous. So, we chose Justin, from Live Well Financial. He was very straightforward and he really knew what he was doing. He sent us some preliminary things to look at then we had the counseling about the pros and cons of a reverse mortgage, then we had our appraisal.

The process was done very quickly. Justin was absolutely easy to contact and I never called him that he either didn't answer or called me back immediately. He went out of town one time and I had a question, but I knew. He had already contacted me and told me that he would be gone. He was wonderful. Everything was pretty cut and dry. We had no debt and we had a really high credit score. We were missing one paper on my husband's social security, so we had to wait until that came in. The application and underwriting process took less than 30 days. Live Well Financial wanted to close by the end of June and we closed on the 28th.

We had a hard time with the appraisal though. The guy said that the house was in the best condition of probably anybody that he had done. I know what the houses in the neighborhood are selling for and we had an extremely low appraisal which was pretty disappointing. The houses in our neighborhood were selling at about $345,000 and we got an appraisal of $302,000. I talked to Justin about it and he said that both the FHA appraisals tend to be low in general. In the long run, it was fine. We understood everything that we were doing and it's not like we couldn't have backed out. The bottom line is if it's appraised at $302,000, it's to our advantage if something were to happen and we have to sell, it shouldn't be higher. A friend of mine’s financial situation changed drastically financially and I told him to call Live Well Financial.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I had a really good experience with Live Well Financial. Their rep, Jake, was honest with me and he answered any question I had. If I didn't understand and it wasn't clear, he'd go over it again and again. He was always there, always took my calls and always returned my calls. Even if he had emailed me the appraisal and I lost it in my computer somewhere, he sent me a hard copy. Live Well Financial was absolutely wonderful and was really were expeditious in getting this loan done. The application and underwriting process took less than a month. Working with Live Well Financial accomplished my goal.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I was really pleased with Live Well Financial. I filed my application and the rep that assisted me was pleasant and had the nicest voice. After I did all my paperwork, they sent notaries to come over and take a follow-up with goods and stuff. They were very nice, helpful, and I didn’t know it was so easy. People asked me if I shopped to see if I could get anything better, but I told them I didn't and that I liked the gentleman from Live Well who helped me. He made me feel that I have the right to have what I want to do and by the time we were done with each other, I told him that I'm gonna miss him because he would just brighten my day.

I’m a hairdresser and typhoon Harvey killed my profession. A lot of people moved because of the problem with their homes and couldn’t come back into the city. My clients moved off and some of them retired. It hurt the ego to know that this is reality and it's been a year but I'm still starving from that event. Also, I had been recouping from cancer in the last year and a half. With the situation I have, Live Well has made me feel like I could live again, while other people still don't know who to use.

Original review: July 27, 2018

The guy at my job said that he had a reverse mortgage and it helped him out. I called Live Well and so far, so good. The rep helped me get the mortgage done and she did good. I got a back surgery during that time so I was in the hospital, and she was patient with me. Live Well is a great company, and I don't have to make a house payment now.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I had some medical bills that I did not anticipate and I needed a way to cover them. I got an advertisement in the mail from Live Well which I thought was a little too good to be true but going with them turned out to be relatively easy. I assumed that most people that they worked with are elderly and perhaps aren’t able to do a lot of things for themselves, or are not tech-savvy enough. Still, they went above and beyond from what I would expect from a bank.

Normally, I would have had to do a lot of footwork. Instead, once I said yes, and I was able to write a couple of checks to cover the appraisal, the process was simple. Their rep, Pat, got me through the process and handed me off for closing. She did an outstanding job. Also, they sent their attorney here to my home to do the closing and told me to tell them when they could come. Their team guided me right through it and all in all it took less than 30 days. It was the most simple loan I've had in my life. The only thing I’m a little concerned about is that there were some checks wherein I wrote $295 and advanced to cover some things. But then, I looked down at my billing and what it costed me for closing and I'm certain that Live Well didn't credit me for that $295.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I had equity in my house and I didn’t wanna sell my house. I started with Live Well Financial last fall but my tax returns weren’t completed right and they had to have two years of tax returns. I thought that everything was gonna be ready to go but they told me that my tax returns weren’t filled out properly. It was my fault and I was up against the deadline because I only had six months to go before everything expired. I didn’t get my tax returns modified in time so last year expired and then I started again this year after I got my tax returns.

I called the same people that I was dealing with last year, Summerlee and Frank, and they were wonderful. They were patient with me after last year when the whole thing blew up because of my tardiness with my taxes. When I called them this spring, they just took it right up and got it done. They were very efficient and organized. They laid out what my options were. They talked to me about what they thought was best for me. I took everything in and figured out what was best for me and I made my decision.

They told me exactly what I needed to do and the order I needed to do it. As I submitted my paperwork, they got into it immediately. If what I sent in was acceptable, they went on to the next step and if it wasn’t acceptable, they told what I needed to get in there to fix it. They went through the process step-by-step which was really good. They tell you exactly what’s gonna happen. They're dealing with people that are 62 and older so not everybody is tech savvy to start the process of what they have to do to get it. So it was very simple every step of the way. They were very pleasant and I couldn’t have felt better. From the time I started the process this year to the time it was completed, it was about two and a half months. It was pretty fast. I would recommend Live Well Financial to everybody.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I obtained a reverse mortgage from Live Well Financial and from the time I applied until it was all ready, it took about two months and a half. I’m a retired businessman and I wasn’t very impressed. Either they're new at this or they just let the ball drop. They were not very well-organized. One person should be responsible for calling the client and I received calls from no less than six people at least. Also, the rates were high.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I saw Live Well Financial on TV and I called them because I needed the money. Everything about their process went okay and everybody that I worked with helped me get the loan. They told me that everything was gonna be alright and it went very smoothly. The reps kept calling me and let me know about things. The process took about five months and I gotta call Live Well to find out if I can let them take the rate out of my pay every month which is what I want because I don’t want to send it in. But the rate for the mortgage was fine and people should go with Live Well.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I was able to do my improvements at home because of the reverse mortgage from Live Well and the experience was great. The representative was very informative, knowledgeable and helpful. The application process was typical and it was okay but I was surprised that the rate was good than what was out there.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I wanted to take advantage of the equity I had on my house and I didn't want to have to worry about paying a loan back so I looked into a reverse mortgage. Live Well sounded like they were willing to work with me in addressing some of the issues I had. At the time, I had spoken with a couple of other companies and told them my situation. Those companies suggested that it was impossible for me to move forward. It sounded like they all wanted me to be employed to do this. Though I am employed, I could not produce any proof of long-term employment.

Live Well's application process was straightforward. It took longer than I thought but they were working with some issues and required me to keep coming back with additional information. While it would have been nice if it took shorter, I believe that everybody was working on my behalf there. Trevor, my loan officer was accessible, personable and he was willing to put in some effort. Overall, Live Well accomplished what I wanted to accomplish.

Original review: July 22, 2018

I kept seeing commercials about a reverse mortgage and it started to look like something that I needed. Live Well Financial was referred to me by a friend and the application process was long but it was all right. Matthew, the rep I dealt with, was tremendous and I was impressed with our friendly conversation and how helpful he was. He made me feel relaxed, talked to me and worked me through the process. Everything went well and the rate and terms were good. Working with Live Well, I got a better aspect on my life right now.

Original review: July 21, 2018

We want to thank Live Well Financial Senior Mortgage Loan Originator, Karen **, from Richmond Virginia, for all her excellent and courteous help while assisting us with our reverse mortgage loan from start to finish. She is very conscientious and thoughtful of a customer’s needs and their concerns. We strongly recommend Live Well Financial for your mortgage needs; reverse, refinance or purchasing.

Original review: July 21, 2018

We needed a little extra money to pay some bills and so, we decided to go with a reverse mortgage with Live Well Financial. The application and underwriting process took five months, which was long and aggravating since it was long-distance. Also, I felt that it was confusing sometimes. We understood a lot of it, but we didn't know whether to do it, and then we changed our mind, and then he didn't want to do it, and then he changed his mind again. It is our home and we want our kids to be able to decide that they would be able to sell it if something happened to us.

Sean, the rep who I dealt with, was good and he explained everything to me. I was comfortable working with him. And then we had the notary public come to the house, and after that, an older guy came for the closing. It was a lady's husband that came instead of her, and he was gonna croak before he left. It was so hot in here, so I guess he was in such bad shape and wanted to sign them things and get it over with.

However, I thought I understood everything, but maybe I didn't. They charge $6,000 for closing, However, we ended up getting $12,000. I also thought we were gonna have another $9,000 put back for a line of credit. But they said something about holding it for our taxes and our insurance. When we got the insurance bill, we went ahead and paid for it. But then I found out that anything three months before or anything three months after, we had to pay it ourselves. I still don't know about that $9,000 and also if we're supposed to keep paying our insurance. When they advertise that there's no cost to customers, it still costs them money.

Original review: July 21, 2018

We were trying to get lower monthly payments to make our finances a lot easier. Living Well's online application process took a couple of months. If they could find a way to shorten the process, that would be great. Still, I liked the personality of my loan officer and she seemed easy to work with. I also liked that if If I call them one day, if they didn’t get back to me the same day, they would the next day.

Original review: July 20, 2018

My wife and I got married five years ago and we were going to refinance, but she got ill and passed away. It was virtually impossible for me to refinance because her former husband was on the loan. So, the reverse mortgage permitted me to clear that out and get him off the loan and also, to reduce the mortgage to a tolerable level and get it off of a variable. I ran into some difficulty with a lending provider, not in getting the loan, but simply in processing it.

The rate of the company seemed to be good, but then once we got into it, the underwriter was being very unreasonable. He would say he wanted a copy of the canceled checks that I had written for two years and so I dug out all my bank statements, and then he said he needed all three pages. The canceled checks were in page 1. If I just got the banks statements, then why did he need the bank statements? They were all electronically processed. It was annoying and I felt like walking away from it. That was when I checked with Live Well. They were very accommodating and the young woman I spoke with was very professional and cooperative. She asked if she could give me a counter-offer which was substantially different from the other company and much more cost-efficient. I went back to the other provider and told them they were decent but the underwriter was not, plus, they couldn't match the price, so I went with Live Well.

The application process of Live Well was easy since I had already been through it with this other company. It also took about less than a month. I was able to hand everything off to them that I’ve already done, which was a lot of work in recovering all the information. I had to get all of my records, my bank records, and get canceled checks to show I’ve been making payments on the house to the last two years. I was also trying to get up to speed on how it works because my purpose was different than someone else’s. I’m gonna pay down the interest every month, but I wanted the interest to accrue. I wanted to understand how it was frontloaded and essentially where the difference was between that and a conventional loan and where I’m paying more, but it was worth it to me to get rid of these other issues.

I also explained to the Live Well rep I spoke with who was handling the loan that when the other company found out I was talking to Live Well and they couldn’t match Live Well’s price, they were trying to talk me out of going with Live Well. They were saying that because of my circumstances, Live Well wouldn’t be able to get me approved. I was not on the loans and they could do it because of their experience. I asked her if there were things they couldn't do. She said that they do that all the time. I described my circumstances and why I was taking out the loan, and that it wasn’t because I needed the money as much as I just wanted to get the former husband off the loan and get away from this variable loan. He took out two loans on the house then he left my wife going in the bag. He was in Mexico and there was no way to even reach him. She said that that was not gonna be a problem.

They checked my credit and verified all the information. I called her when I was going through the signing of the documents when they sent the paralegal out here. She was always there if I needed her and if I had a question, she responded immediately and we got through the issue. Everything went through without a hitch, the loan has been processed and I’m very happy with it. I just got my first statement and I’ll be making my payments periodically every month.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I have nobody to take care of me, I’m not working, and I'm not getting any income every time. If I have a reverse mortgage then I don’t have to move from here because I would rather stay here since I don’t drive. So, I got a reverse mortgage with Live Well Financial and the people there were very nice and were not forcing me to do it. They were very good to me. One of the loan officers came here, sat down, and talked to me about the mortgage and gave me a lot of documents, which I don’t really understand much. But a lady came here and explained everything to me as far as she could go.

They let me know that if I want to sell my house, I can go ahead and sell it. All I have to do is give Live Well back their money. And if I should die and I leave anybody in-charge, they can sell the house and give Live Well back their money. And if there's anything left over then I give it to my family. All they're interested in is their money. But other than that, they are courteous and if a call them, they don’t have any attitude against me. When they released the money, they did not give me all of it at one time. They give it in two parts, so they still have some to give me next year at the same time in June. They told me about that ahead of time but I would prefer to get it every month. Still, I would give others the advice to go ahead with Live Well Financial because it's very good.

Original review: July 19, 2018

Live Well Financial seemed to be a little bit above the rest. The intake person, Shaun, stayed in touch and answered my calls. When I had questions, he got back to me within the day. However, the application process was a lot longer and had a lot more details than I anticipated. And I thought it will take about four weeks but it took closer to two months. The underwriters slowed everything down and there was no contact with them. Live Well should tell the borrower upfront exactly how long they anticipate the process is gonna take. Other than that, the rate and terms of the reverse mortgage were very fair, and working with Live Well made me become able to get a little bit better on financial issues.

Original review: July 18, 2018

I refinanced with Live Well out of a friend's recommendation as I wanted to do some remodeling on the condo. Most of the process was done electronically and it was very simple. I received a package of papers to sign and I did the closing. The rates were fine, though I felt that I could have gotten a better rate but I just wanted it done. It was a very efficient experience.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I refinanced my mortgage with Live Well Financial and my experience with them was very good. The process took two months to complete. The reps really worked well and were very efficient. They were fair and good people, too.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I was looking for reverse mortgages, so I went on the internet and put a filler in. A person by the name of Matt from Live Well called me and was very patient and kind. He called every three months and I kept telling him to call me back which he did. I was working on a different home and it took a long time for me to get everything together to decide to do it, but when I was ready to do something I went forward and did it. I had about eight other people doing the same thing, but as time went on they all stopped calling and Matt was the only one that stayed with me, so he got the business.

Matt was very pleasant and he gave me a lot of information and stuff that I needed to do. I was sent a checklist that told me what I needed to do, I went through it and then I sent in the papers he asked for. Once I had decided, since Matt already had all the paperwork, the entire process took 10 days which was pretty quick. The process was very smooth and simple, and I was very happy with how Matt helped me. In addition, the rates were excellent, the terms were good and I was happy with the whole package. The entire experience was very good and I’ve already recommended my daughter to Matt.

Original review: July 16, 2018

When we have been turned down by so many people and the other lenders wouldn't talk to us, Live Well Financial was the only lender that considered us. I called them and talked to a lady named Gloria who said she could help me. We did what she asked from that point on, and they did the rest. She even told us to keep hanging in there, she will get things done, and she did. We got a mortgage from them and the entire process was done as timely as it could be done. It took within 40 days from the first call to the time we got a check and the mortgage's rates and terms is a 100% great compared to what we were getting. We had online for 25%, and we cleared that up. Now we’re locked in at 5 so it saves a lot of money. Live Well changed our life and made us debt free. We’re beholden to them, but it took us out of our worries debt wise and financial wise.

Original review: July 15, 2018

We got a traditional mortgage with Live Well because there wasn’t enough money on the property even though the house was paid off and the appraisal on the house was high. Their rep stayed on the ball professionally. She kept in touch with us, she kept following up and kept working with us. And after we tried to get everything done and we made so many different changes on it, there were so many different things that I was impressed with her. Everything was fine with her and we felt very comfortable working with her. The application process was fine as well. We didn’t have a problem going through it all. It seemed to work out okay. However, it took longer than what I thought was 30 to 45 days to just do changes. And my dad resigned, and he passed away, so we had to redo everything that way. But it wasn’t all difficult or awful. Their rate wasn’t at the lowest, but 3.8 ain’t that bad compared to the average which is 4.5.

Live Well Financial expert review by Michele Lerner

Live Well Financial has been offering reverse mortgages and other mortgage products since 2005. It originally only served customers in Virginia, but now services mortgages and reverse mortgages across America.

• Provides HECM mortgages: All reverse mortgages are insured by the federal government and are provided according to government rules.

• Easy to navigate website: Customers looking for reverse mortgages can easily find information and/or apply online.

• Good variety of programs: There are several mortgage programs available, allowing users to find the reverse mortgage that best fits their needs.

• Information: Seniors may not be clear on what types of mortgages are available or what the terms of service are and will need to call for more information.

• No non-HECM mortgages: Seniors who are looking for anything other than the standard reverse mortgage (i.e. a home-repair reverse mortgage) may not find it.

• Best for: Seniors on fixed income and seniors who want to enjoy their later years.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
    Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Live Well Financial Company Information