2. Reverse Mortgages

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.00/5

Quick and easy. Get a Reverse Mortgage partner recommendation.

Champion Mortgage specializes in reverse mortgages, a special type of loan that allows borrowers 62 or older to convert equity in their home to cash. The company doesn't require monthly payments, and the loan doesn't have to be paid back until after the borrower no longer lives in the home. Champion Mortgage was an early servicer of reverse mortgages and has been lending since 1997.

Quick and easy. Get a Reverse Mortgage partner recommendation.

Champion Mortgage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Champion Mortgage?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Champion Mortgage?

Original review: July 17, 2019

Save yourself and your family. Horrifically terrifying experience!!! They want you to fail and sell your property out from under you with their SNEAKY ways and when you do everything correct they find something wrong so they can foreclose. Letters of intent are not even read and answered. If you are handling an estate BEWARE.

Original review: June 18, 2019

Don't allow anyone to get a reverse mortgage unless they obtain in writing that the account will never under any circumstance be sold to Champion. Their duplicity in our experience was in my opinion was criminal.

Original review: June 3, 2019

I am handling my uncle’s estate, and this reverse mortgage company has been a nightmare from the start. One week after his death, a local agent was at his door. Every two weeks there is a new urgent demand on his door, even though we have been in constant contact with the company. The house is now in the process of being sold, and I cannot for the life of me get a payoff figure for the closing. Absolute horrible customer service and very frustrating to say the least.

Original review: April 30, 2019

Champion Mortgage sent a refund check in my deceased mother’s name. I contacted them in Dec of 2018, told them the check couldn't be deposited and asked could they reissue the check made out to the estate of my mother. It's now the end of April 2019 and no check has been reissued, just one excuse after the other. After reading other post, and looking at the dates; it's really troubling that this company is still in business. Shame on Champion Mortgage and the banks our love ones trusted that not only sold their reverse mortgage, but added to the pain and grief caused by losing a loved one. UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Original review: April 16, 2019

In reading the comments that have been recorded, I find these individuals are telling the truth. However, in as much as we don't want to believe it, when our love ones make a decision to borrow off of their equity, it's not a great thing. I still don't understand, why do you have to pay interest on something that you already owe. The equity has been paid for and you have to pay interest on what you have already invested in. It's the entire system. This is not a great program at all. At the end of the game the family end up having anything. I feel all that is being said because I myself is going through the process right now. I did all I could to communicate to the company. My mother passed away on October 22, 2018. It was a difficult situation. All we need to do is to write HUD who is the one that has the rules and regulations regarding the reverse. We have to defend our cause in a class action suit against the company.

Original review: March 28, 2019

How can these people sleep at night? Our family home fell into foreclosure and we were given a date of public sale. However NO notice ever went on the home or any verbal/written communication in regards to when we needed to vacate the home. We come home to a locked home as we are trying to get our things out! As if the situation isn't stressful enough, now our personal items are locked in by this company! We were threatened not to be on the premise or we will be arrested! No one would return our calls or help us to be able to retrieve our things! Then, a for sale sign goes up!! Thank GOD for the realtor as she helped us! Karma is a real ** and I hope this company gets what they deserve!!!!

Original review: March 8, 2019

My mother got a reverse mortgage and when she passed away last year we were told we had time to sell. We were given 6 months from Oct. 2018 but just found out they foreclosed and sold the house at auction with no notification to the executor of the estate. Illegal practices going on here to take homes from unsuspecting average families. Run while you can.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

My father quit claimed deeded his home in 2003 to my sister and I. Then, in 2010, after double amputation of his legs, he needed funds from his home. He took out a Reverse Mortgage with MetLife who in turn sold it to Champion who has Nationstar as their "servicer." (What a joke that title is!) The mortgage documents had my sister and I as "borrowers." My father didn't really own the property anymore, we did. When my father passed away in 2017, Nationstar immediately claimed the note due and payable.

My sister lived with my dad for the last seven years of his life, taking care of him, taking him to doctors, etc. putting her life on hold for him. We intended, and still do, to sell the home. Nationstar and their misinformation machine have us running around with their "you didn't pay the taxes..." We did. "You don't have homeowners insurance..." We do. And of course, the letters saying they're foreclosing. The same as most of the articles in this forum.

The thing that's different with our situation is that the home is my sisters' permanent residence and we actually were on the note as borrowers which never should've been the case as we were not aged 62 at the time. They have filed suit with their high powered attorneys to foreclose and we have been forced to hire an attorney with money we don't have, to defend ourselves against this predator! Our debacle was that the Reverse Mortgage documents and loan were screwed up from the very beginning and now we're paying for it! Run. Don't walk away from Champion Mortgage and Nationstar!!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

If you are considering a reverse mortgage with this company please have family members sit down with you and this company before any decisions are made. I feel like this company talked my grandmother into making the worst decision ever. What she basically did was sign her home over to this company and they fed her tons of lies. Now upon her death, the option of purchasing the home is impossible especially when no one with the company tells you the same thing. You get something different every time you call and they withhold information.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I had my house on Reverse Mortgage with my bank for a long time, all of a sudden they sold it to Champion Mortgage and after a while I began having problems such as even though I sent them all the required papers as I have done in the past with the bank SOMEHOW they never received them. After that I called several times to see if they were filed. Spoke with several representatives in Cust Serv and after a while they found them. I have the names of people I spoke with and dates. I was told that they have several Fax numbers (given to me every time I had called) and that since they are in different departments they were not acknowledged.

Yesterday my daughter received a package harassing her about the debt who lives in NY bypassing me that live in Miami in my Rev Mort house. My agreement with the bank, done at an Attorney's office was that once I died my beneficiary (my daughter) will have a year to either take a mortgage on the house or lose it. That is the only thing you'll find my signature on. I would like to add myself to the list of the Class Action Case against such Co.

Champion Mortgage Company Information