3.7/5 (30 ratings)

Find Reverse Mortgage Lenders partners near you

About Champion Mortgage

Champion Mortgage specializes in reverse mortgages, a special type of loan that allows borrowers 62 or older to convert equity in their home to cash. The company doesn't require monthly payments, and the loan doesn't have to be paid back until after the borrower no longer lives in the home. Champion Mortgage was an early servicer of reverse mortgages and has been lending since 1997.

Find Reverse Mortgage Lenders partners near you

Pros

• Direct deposit available
    • 23 years of experience
    • Live phone support

Cons

• Difficult to close account
    • High fees

Bottom Line

Champion Mortgage has a long history as a reverse mortgage lender. The company provides direct deposit options and live customer support. It requires no monthly payments, but its fees are high.

About Champion Mortgage

Champion Mortgage is a part of Nationstar Mortgage LLC and offers a medium-scale selection of reverse mortgage options. The company functions like most traditional reverse mortgage lenders but offers some modern tools and options, like direct deposit.

Like most reverse mortgages, you remain the owner of your house, and the mortgage will not need to be paid back until after you pass away. However, there are a few reasons the loan may need to be collected before the standard due date — such as moving out of your home permanently, not paying property taxes or home insurance or if the home’s condition deteriorates into disrepair.

Champion Mortgage also offers deed in lieu and short sale options.

Champion Mortgage rates and fees

Champion Mortgage charges more additional fees for its services than other reverse mortgage lenders. Along with the fees listed here, a more comprehensive list of Champion fees and costs are available on its website.

• Payment plan change: Up to $50
    • Servicing fee: Up to $35
    • Appraisal: Up to $820
    • Property inspection: Up to $60
    • Property preservation (lawn care, etc.): $30 to more than $2,500 per event
    • Foreclosure costs: $100 to $5,225 per action

Champion Mortgage FAQ

What was the Champion Mortgage class-action lawsuit?
    In 2016, a $5 million class-action lawsuit was filed in federal court against Champion Mortgage by older homeowners who claimed the company charged them for illegal and unnecessary home inspections.
    Will Champion Mortgage own my home?
    No. Although your residence is collateral in the reverse mortgage, you keep the title to your home.
    Can Champion payments be deposited directly into my bank account?
    Yes. You can provide Champion Mortgage with a voided check at closing or later to have your payments deposited automatically into your account.
    How does Champion calculate total loan amounts?
    The Federal Housing Administration and the Department of Housing and Urban Development set maximums and standards for certain loans, but Champion considers property value as the main way to determine the amount of each loan.

Do we recommend Champion Mortgage?

Champion Mortgage has been in the industry for 23 years as of publishing, and it doesn't require monthly borrower payments. Its parent company, Nationstar, merged with WMIH Corp. in 2018. It's now part of Mr. Cooper Group, one of the largest home loan servicers in the U.S. Though the company was involved in a class-action lawsuit in 2016 and its fees can be high, it might be worth looking into if you're in need of a reverse mortgage without monthly payments.

Champion Mortgage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Champion Mortgage?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Champion Mortgage?

Original review: March 16, 2022

After our mother passed away we called Champion to let them know. They said if we sold it we could make money. DO NOT BELIEVE THEM!!!! I spent over $2000.00 to make it clean and ready to sell. When I called they were very rude and uncaring. I had to fax paper to them that cost almost 100.00 dollars. They refused emails. We finally had to do a short sell after 5 months of them sitting on it. Finally got the short sell rep ready to sell then they sold the loan to another company. Needless to say lost the buyer. Now having to start over. I give them a big fat **! I would not recommend this company to my worst enemy! I hope karma bites them in the back end!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2021

We took out a reverse mortgage in 2010. Champion purchased the loan from B of A. We had a set aside in order to ensure the Mortgage holder would receive their monthly fees. Over the years we made monthly payments. Champion took the fees from our payments and also from the set aside account. We sold the home and paid off the loan. Champion refused to refund the balance of the set aside account or any portion of the double payments. Stay away from this Company. They prey on older people.

Get buying tips about Reverse Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2021

Champion Mortgage is the lien holder for our home. Wasn't originally. Is it normal Unsure if that's normal? Anyway, monthly fees are CRAZY! I am the sole caregiver to my Mom (dementia) & my Dad (cancer) before her till he left us for the past 8 yrs. Does anyone have any info to help guide me through a payoff so that I can save my family home while severing our ties to Champion Mtg & their by-the-minute fees being constantly accrued? SO STRESSED! Thank you so very much in advance for your reviewing this msg.

Original review: June 24, 2021

My mother passed on 12/27/2020. She took out a reverse mortgage from Generation Mortgage. They sold it to Champion Mortgage. The people who work for them are not very intelligent. I sent them a copy of her will and death certificate. When I spoke to them they told me they never received it so I sent them more copies. This time I sent it certified. I filed her will in probate. They need people that know what they are doing because every time I speak to have something different to to say.

Original review: March 18, 2021

I found out my Dad had a reverse mortgage that was sold by Wells Fargo to Champion. After researching his case I called today to confirm my understanding, with the most important question being "for how many more months would he receive monthly checks?" The customer service agent said 'the rest of his life' almost 10 times. I was shocked at how poorly trained he was and how angry he was becoming when I asked him to repeat that information. I called back 5 minutes later and the next agent said "10 more months." I told her what I was told 5 minutes previous and she said a supervisor would call me back. That was 6 hours ago.

I feel so bad for the people who dont have a child like me who can research and ask focused questions that point out how little the representatives on the phone actually know---while looking at the file. My Dad could have made life-changing, horrible decisions at 84 based on this misinformation, which the man arrogantly repeated over and over and over. Someone needs to do an expose on them.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

I will not write a long drawn out essay. Champion Mortgage operates as Nationstar and they are down right treacherous. There are 2 class action suits against them. You are not crazy they have violated the rights of many consumers and foreclosed on many homes because of it.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

About 10 yrs. ago we took out reverse mortg. with bank of america. We were given $29,000. A few yrs. later we were notified boa sold our rev. mortg. to Champion mtg.. As of 12/31/2019, our balance on mortg. is $91,048.12. Over three times the amount we owed. Outrageous fees charged monthly. Example; in 2019, charged interest of $260.--$309.76 per mo., service fee $25.00 per mo., $36.--$37.--per. mo. Monthly ins. premium. I just got a 2019 annual statement from champion. Showing for year 2019. They charged us total $4,352.55. In fees. This is outrageous.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

My husband and I fell on hard times in 2012 and applied for a reverse mortgage with Met Life. We found out on the day of the closing that our mortgage had been sold to Champion. There were many things we had been told that we found out at that closing were not true. We were told there would be a small requested check at closing, and it took another week for that to happen. We paid our insurance and property taxes without fail up until last year when we were $5000 in arrears. Champion paid the tax bill and is foreclosing our home next month.

I asked about a repayment plan and they said yes, this was possible. However it appears that they have a system whereby they set a limit on this based on how much your mortgage is. We were told we weren't eligible to do this. I was even told we could refinance our mortgage through them and an application would be sent to us. A week later I called because I hadn't received the application. Once again another agent told me it would be sent that day. Another week went by and this time the agent I spoke with said that I had been misinformed. Champion was not in the business of refinancing mortgages.

My husband and I are in our mid 70s. He has diabetes, congestive heart failure, and cancer. He is undergoing 8 hours of chemotherapy each week. He's quite ill, exhausted, and weak. I broke my back three years ago and arthritis has settled in making even light housework too painful. Our only income is social security. We're going to be evicted next month and neither of us is capable of moving. We have no family. Champion has been told this, but they don't care.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

As others have noted, you DO NOT want to do business with Champion Mortgage. It has been over a year since I gave Champion Mortgage all the info they needed to process our deed in lieu (for my aunt's property after she passed away) and they STILL have not completed everything we need. They sat on the paperwork for over 6 months till I harassed them enough to move.

Then, after we had a closing, their title lawyers said we needed additional paperwork from the courts indicating that we are allowed to submit a deed in lieu. My lawyers had never heard of this requirement in the past. Meanwhile the estate builds up lawyer fees, property taxes bills, water tax bills, etc. all while having no access to the property (they locked it up). FIND ANOTHER COMPANY TO WORK WITH!!! REALLY!!! I wish I could give them zero stars!!!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

On 11/22/2019 an employee from Champion Mortgage told me she had fronted my 2019 property taxes. She said if I don't pay champion Mortgage back immediately my Reverse Mortgage would be in default and Champion Mortgage would take my house away. I called the Victoria County Tax Office that said Champion Mortgage never did pay my property taxes. This is an example par excellence of Mortgage FRAUD which is a "MISREPRESENTATION." Don't ever trust Champion Mortgage!

Quick and easy. Get a Reverse Mortgage partner suggestion.

Champion Mortgage Company Information