ulta.com

4.0/5 (865 ratings)

About Ulta Beauty

Ulta Beauty Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ulta Beauty?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ulta Beauty?

Original review: Jan. 1, 2021

I would give this store 0 stars if I can... Here's what happened at my visit and I had to go through corporate and they are just as bad too cuz they said they would call me back and give me a refund or fix the issue with 24-48 hours and I haven't received anything yet and its been 3 weeks... Please reach out to this guest regarding the below complaint/store issue (guest requires callback within 24-48hrs). Respond directly to this email so the incident can be updated and resolved within Guest Services. Thank you!

________________________________________________

Guest is calling because she had a salon visit to get her hair fixed, the stylist wasn’t able to complete the whole service in one day, the guest got her hair toned. And she charged her $100 the first day and $700 the second day. She claims the stylist overcharged her for service that was not what she asked for. She was in the salon for 7+ hours while the stylist allegedly was leaving and going to lunch during her service. She attempted to call the manager but the manager was rude and wouldn’t offer her a solution to the problem. The guest claims she didn’t have money to spend on the service to begin with and was trying to treat herself but felt undervalued as a guest and lied to. She would like this situation to be fixed. Puyallup, Washington, Rainier Village 98374. Savannah was the stylist.

Also, someone else from our team spoke to the Guest and told this: Spoke to the guest. When she got home from the Salon it was really itchy, and when she scratched her head, there was dried bleach wasn't washed out completely. It's dry regardless. Hair is not falling out in chunks. Prefers a refund. She doesn't want to go back to the Salon. Would feel uncomfortable going back. $100 for tone. Stylist wasn't transparent about the prices (is what she tried to explain to the Manager). Gave her a quote after she had already bleached her hair and guest said she's never spent $500 on a Bleach. Manager says, "That's what we charge for a Color corrector." Manager was defensive and rude.

The stylist told her that they did all of these extra things on top of toning and bleaching her hair. She went detail by detail. Basically, told her that's how much they charge and she apologizes for the experience and it's just the way it is. Toner didn't cover the roots. When she blew dry her hair she told her it's okay because it still looks good, trying to make it sound like it was okay. People don't tip stylists and people are rude. At the end she told her that it took 7 hours and it's going to be $700 for the service. Estimated $350-$400 online. Charge per half hour. When she was getting ready to leave is when she said it was $700. The problem the transparency of the pricing and the defensiveness of the Manager. Found her to be unprofessional, and Manager basically told her she is wrong.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

I ordered on-line for a curbside pickup at the Ithaca, N.Y. store. I ordered shampoo, conditioner and two travel size items. The order was ready when I got to the store. I did not think I had to inspect the items at that time of pickup. Once I got home and I removed the items I immediately realized the shampoo was used. The seal was broken, hair was stuck to the broken seal and the bottle had dried shampoo on the outside of the bottle. The conditioner also had a broken seal but the bottle had an overall better appearance.

I called the store immediately and explained the situation and that I would have to drive 45 minutes one way to return it. I did not have any other choice but to drive back the next day due to the $60 I spent on these products. When I got to the store to return the items I was treated poorly immediately and was not offered any discount or coupons for my inconvenience. All they would do was replace the used items. I instead said please return my money and I will never do business with Ulta Beauty again. They could have cared less.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2020

Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT order anywhere close to Christmas. I submitted my order on December 11, 2020, only received one email stating that my order had been processed. A week later, still nothing. Clicked the link to track my order on several occasions and it still had not been shipped. I called customer service. The representative would not shut her mouth long enough to listen to what I had to say. I had to forcefully interrupt her to request a supervisor.

Waited thirteen minutes for a supervisor. When she came on, she started talking about the national shipping crisis. I asked if I could do curbside pickup instead, she said, "No, they've already made the label and it's ready to be shipped". I then asked if I could cancel the order, she said, "No, it's too late for that". I asked for her supervisor and she said that there wasn't one available right now. I told her that I would be calling my bank and contacting the Better Business Bureau. I then told her Merry Christmas!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2020

Honestly Ulta did a poor job with communicating. Bath and Body Works candle day two days prior made its shipment to me in 3 days!!!! I have ordered from Amazon, Athleta, Macy’s, Walmart, all online on the same weekend and already received all my shipments. But not from Ulta!!! I get a lousy email stating that we are sorry but we are working hard to get your packages delivered; please check your order status to most current information. Well that information says shipped?? So how is this suppose to help? Do we even know where the packages are? Customer service has been awful and no help. Worst company service. Will go to Sephora instead. Been 2 weeks and no updates on when packages will ship, no refund given. No help from this company whatsoever! Please beware!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

Every time I have tried to return a faulty product that cost like $30 they will say they can only give me $.50 back for it because someone else had purchased the same item with coupons and points for that price and they can only give me back the lowest price that someone else has purchased the item at. What a joke.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

Horrible company! Customer service manager is a waste of time in resolution of complaint. Placed an order during Black Friday Sale, used PayPal at checkout. Checked my credit card after transaction and found two debits for the single transaction, it was the weekend so waited till Monday to see if one of the duplicate charges would drop off, both were gone by Tuesday.

I didn't worry about it from there as PayPal had said they will debit the account on order completion. Ulta Cosmetics canceled the order and didn't have the common courtesy to contact/email me that they wouldn't be honoring my order because I used PayPal, said they couldn't verify my credit card information, but wait, isn't that why I use PayPal to protect my accounts!?

Furthermore, because they didn't let me know of the cancelation, I wasn't able to shop from competitors during the Black Friday extended sales nor during the Cyber Week sales either. All I received from Customer Service was excuses and worse, they responded with two different stories about how they ran out of product and it was canceled due to that even though you can't place an item in the cart if out of stock, secondly after I asked for a supervisor, she was the one who said it was because of using PayPal. At that point I asked for the order to be fulfilled and of course she said no. I am just one unsatisfied customer and Ulta Cosmetics apparently does not value you as a singular purchaser.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2020

On November 23 I placed an order for $195.00. I was to receive free gift either robe or a throw. I received neither. I called customer service. I was told I could receive $15 gift card, however, they were unable to send me my free gift. I certainly don’t understand why? It’s their “policy.” SO I guess because someone didn’t put my gift in the box I just don’t get the gift? I get a lousy $15 gift card and that is supposed to make up for it?? What kind of “customer service” is this?!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

I'm so sad about my experience with ULTA today as I really did like their products. They mislead you with their "free gift" emails and then can't help you cancel. Surprised that scams like this are still going on with today's economy. They lost this customer and I will pass along my experience to others.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

I placed an online order with Ulta on 11/22/20 for $176.56. The Black Friday promotion on the website stated any order over $60 would receive a cosmetic bag with 8 free items. I did not see the gift on my confirmation email and contacted customer service immediately. I was told they cannot modify an order and since I did not “order” the gift I will not be receiving it. I asked for my order to be cancelled and was told that they could not since it had already completed processing. Today I receive an email from Ulta stating that due to high volume my order is taking longer to process and to please be patient. Who holds these large companies accountable? This is fraudulent behavior.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

Ulta only refunds online orders that are less than 100$ if the package goes missing. They could care less about anything more than 100$. They will simply say, "Oh the tracking says it was "delivered" so therefore you got your package," even if it says "left on front porch". They refused to issue a refund. I will be reporting them to the BBB to get my refund. Chime bank also refused to issue a chargeback for the missing package so don't bank with Chime either!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

My father's funeral service is Sunday 10/11/2020. I purchased some Madison Reed hair dye on the 7th to apply before the service. I paid the extra money to have it expedited to receive on the 8th. Mind you, this was the date the site said I would receive it. I waited all day and didn't receive it. I checked my online orders and saw it was scheduled to be delivered on the 10th. I called customer service, which is a joke by the way, only to be told that there was nothing they could do. I asked for a refund of my expedited delivery cost and was told they couldn't do that. I will never do at Ulta again.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

I have spent literally tens of thousands of dollars with Ulta in the last 10+ years, but no more. I recently ordered a few items, totaling over $200, and tracking showed that it was delivered outside my building over a week and a half ago. Ulta used LaserShip - every other shipping company is able to deliver to individual apartments or at least leave it in our mailroom where it is secure, but not these guys. They left it outside my midrise apartment building, on the street, in a busy large city. Of course, it got stolen by the time I realized I hadn't received it and went to go check out the tracking. I contacted LaserShip which I still have not heard back from, and I contacted Ulta and explained my situation.

They apparently have the least understanding customer service agents, and they told me I would not be getting my items or a refund because it was delivered to the address on the order, when in fact it was not - it was not delivered to my apartment which is listed on my shipping and billing address. Maybe they should use a reliable shipping company from now on. I got tired of trying to explain and plead my case, so from now on, I will be taking all my business to Sephora. Never once had an issue with an order or product that Sephora did not resolve quickly and pleasantly.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

DO NOT ORDER ONLINE!!! If Ulta makes a mistake with an online order (in my case Ulta sent my $400 order to the wrong address) Ulta won't fix the problem or even try to resolve their mistake. I spoke to four different supervisors (one with dogs barking in the background) and all told me that even though it's their mistake, there is nothing they can do. Wrong! When you have good customer service, there is always something you can do for the customer to fix the problem.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

I came to the salon requesting permanent color. I informed the stylist that my hair was bleached during a balayage treatment two months prior. Long story short, my hair did not hold the color, they attempted to rectify it for free but it didn’t work. I was told to call if there was an issue after the second time, only to be lead on to be told basically too bad. $130.00 down the drain. They should be held partially responsible since they didn’t turn me away, I should have been told my hair was too damaged but they proceeded, twice.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

I am beyond words with my 2nd bad experience with Ulta store. I purchased L’Oréal Mascara the sticker posted buy one get one 1/2 off regular price $8.99. The price rings up $11.99 with half off the 2nd one. This is not the first time that Ulta increases the price of the product to make you think you’re getting a great sale but you are not! Buyer beware with shopping here. Not a good business practice at all.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2020

I ordered products that ULTA delivered despite verbal and written cancelation of the order. Due to COVID-19 the items could not be returned to a store location. I sent the products back via Fedex with a tracking number. ULTA warehouse signed for the products and they acknowledged receipt via email. ULTA stated that they were processing the refund. ULTA then they admitted to losing the package. ULTA now reports that they can not attached a return for refund and will be unable to give me a refund.

Original review: July 24, 2020

I placed a (large and expensive) order on 7/21 for my wedding on 7/31 and the "estimated delivery date" was 7/24 at the time of ordering (there was no option for expedited shipping). I received an e-mail on 7/22 that the item shipped, but as of 7/24 (the original "delivery date") UPS still said they had not received the item. When I talked to Ulta's customer service via chat, after telling me they don't know when it will arrive and blaming it on UPS, they told me that I had to wait until 7/31 for the order. (Where did the magic date come from if they didn't know?) Since that is my wedding date and therefore makes the order useless to me, I asked to cancel.

They claimed could not cancel the order because it had "Shipped" (even though it was not given to UPS yet). I asked about several solutions that would make the situation better, but got nothing other than "look online at our shipping policy" and "the stores wouldn't be able to help you". When I asked if there was anyone who could actually help me, the chat person said no supervisor was available for a few DAYS. They also claimed I would receive a transcript of the chat, which I didn't. Luckily, I had learned my lesson from this order and saved all of the screenshots! I will be returning all of the items if/when they finally do arrive and in the meantime, I will be scrambling to find everything I need from other, more customer oriented businesses.

Original review: July 12, 2020

I am a platinum member and started shopping here in 2012. I have never said I did not receive a package. I have cameras around my house and work from home. I did not receive one of my packages. Guest services says there’s nothing they can do.

Original review: July 7, 2020

First time shopping with Ulta and the last one. Horrible experience. I got a 200$ gift card from my bank reward program and I bought 230$ worth of product from them. My order never arrived! They shipped the package with some small delivery company I never heard of. After hours on the phone with customer service they tell me the package was left in the mailbox room according to the delivery company.

I live in an apartment complex, hundreds of people pass by the mailbox room every day. And what's worse is that the mailbox room is not even locked from the outside, anyone walking on the street can just come in and take anything they want. Why would you leave 200$+ worth of product there? Why not deliver it to my door like every other company does? Oh, I know why! because it takes less time and you can pay your workers less. Customer service tells me they can't refund me because of the high amount and they need to escalate it to their managers. A week goes by, I call them again. They apologize and tell me they are very busy and to keep waiting.

A month later the manager, "Carla" finally emails me. She tells me she won't refund it because they have a "signature on file". Excuse me? Whose signature you have? Cause it ain't mine! And I thought you said they left the package in the mailbox room. So which one is it? And why are/were you lying. Unbelievable. Customer service employees I spoke on the phone were really nice and they were genuinely trying to help me, but the management and the company doesn't care about the customers. Don't shop with this company unless you want to get scammed. I have been shopping almost exclusively online for the past 10 years and I never have something like this happen. I will stick with Sephora, at least they deliver my stuff to my doorstep...

Original review: July 2, 2020

I have been a customer of Ulta since July of 2011. In August 2018 I moved and updated my home and shipping address online. In January 2020 I also called their customer service because I wasn't receiving their catalogs for some reason. I made sure they had my correct address and the rep said yes we have the correct address and your old address has been removed. On April 3, 2020 I paced an order totaling $102.34 from their website. I received notification that my package was delivered I checked around my home and no package. I contacted ULTA and was told it was delivered to my old address and that they would get back to me. 3 days later I called them again and was told that they will not re ship or refund me because it was my fault. I used my Ulta credit card for the purchase and explained what happened. They told me they will look into the matter and get back to me.

Ulta credit card sent me a notice that they will be crediting me the $102.34 because their investigation said that I was not at fault. I tried to place another order online from Ulta in May 2020 and for some reason my order would not go through. I contacted Ulta credit card and they said there was nothing wrong on their end so I called Ulta Guest Services. I was told that my account was labeled as fraud. I explained the situation again. Then I received an email for "Lisa" from Guest Services saying that she is the highest level that I will get to and that I can no longer shop online but can shop in their stores. Very Poor customer services skills. Not one of the 10 guest service representatives could figure out why their website is pulling up my old address instead they said "it's you not us".

Original review: July 1, 2020

I ordered 8 different products and paid for 2 day air expedited shipping. It took 3 business days before my products were even shipped and 5 FULL Business days from my order date and still nothing had arrived. I contacted their customer service to request a refund on the shipping cost since they Failed to uphold their end on processing the order and was told that it could take up to 5 business days on any order being fulfilled, the option for expedited shipping is just a formality. I’ve never had a company basically tell me even if you pay for shipping, you’ll get your stuff when it gets there... I will never order from here again. I’d give them Zero stars but that’s not an option.

Original review: June 27, 2020

ULTA in ROCK HILL- horrible experience because I did not give a phone number to make a purchase. I was picking an item up for someone and did not know their number by heart so when she asked for a phone number I said, "Oh no that's ok I just need to buy it." She said, "Well we really need the phone number something something" but I just said, "No thanks- can I just buy this?" She again said, "Are you sure you don't know someone that may have their number? It really helps us out..." I at this point just stood there and she just looked at me and I at her. "Can I please just buy this?" -FINALLY she rung it up and I paid. She took receipt and pushed it and item across counter at me and I said, "Can I get a bag?" She said, "No I am out of bags." I said, "Really?" 3 feet beside her another cashier is putting stuff in a bag. She very huffingly put stuff in a bag and handed it to me- I said, "You are really weird."

Called manager and was told that asking for phone number is policy. I told her well that is great but if a person says no 1, 2, or 3 times the cashier needs to just stop asking and ring stuff up. I told her about bag thing and she says, "We are out of bags" - I said, "Well I saw some and I am looking at one now so that's not true." She said, "We are out of little bags." I said, "This bag is less than a foot high and across." She said she didn't like my tone and they are busy so she needs to go. HORRIBLE TREATMENT.

Original review: June 25, 2020

Yes I went in on June 15th and I was quoted 50.00 per hour to get my hair done. They told me and showed me the paper 50.00 times 4. That was told to me that it should take about 4 hrs to do my hair. Then at the end of all of it she didn’t even cover my grey hairs on a bleaching. Also I was told that I had 2 conditioning treatment and I was only in the chair for less than 20 mins. That was supposedly that was long enough to do the toner and conditioning. That’s bs and also she hide the fact that my hair had breakage so bad that I had to get another haircut after the fact. I had just got a hair cut before I got there not even 20 mins before.

I am definitely not going back. It took me 3 hrs to get my hair done and they overcharged me by 50.00. I went in at 11 am and left at 2 pm that is 3 hrs, but claimed that they said 50.00 per 30 mins I said are you kidding me that means my hair that is short should have been charged 300.00 not 200. They are liars about their amounts and I will be filing with BBB today. Just the more I think about it is very upsetting to me how they overcharged me.. Never again.

Original review: June 12, 2020

Rec'd product and it was not what I ordered. Returned product and it was rec'd by them on June 1st. I've been told it will be July before I receive my refund. This is unacceptable. It's almost $100. Anything else I have returned to other companies has been promptly acknowledged and a refund issued. There is no reason for this and I want my refund promptly. I will never do business with Ulta again. Customer service rep was rude and told me she would send a confirm email. I never rec'd an email. I'm done.

Original review: June 3, 2020

I ordered a bunch of stuff online and they came in pretty quick. But when I opened the package some things were damaged. The body mist had spilled, some products’ packaging were teared up, and the highlighter had broke. Very disappointed, everything was just thrown in the box with no care. I expected better from this company.

Original review: May 16, 2020

ALERT ALERT ALERT!!! I have placed 3 different orders from Ulta Beauty online since the end of April. I have only received 2 packages and the package from my first order never came. It was at first delayed for more than 2 weeks, but this specific package never made it to my front porch. I contacted customer service and they told me that there was nothing they could do about it because it is said that the package was delivered. I emailed them to let them know that I never received 1 of my 3 orders. I even placed several calls to customer service and waited for more than an hour to finally speak with someone. And despite all of this hassle the supervisor, Anastasia L. said that she was sorry but she couldn't replace or refund me. Now I am frustrated and very upset because money doesn't fall from the trees.

Also I never order online, I always go in the store and make my purchases, because I am not a big fan of online shopping. Because of covid-19 all the stores are closed in NY and no curbside pickup available. I find myself ordering over the internet because I really needed some foundation and other few items. Now for customer service's supervisor Anastasia L. to tell me that the package was successfully delivered while there wasn't any signature requested is outrageous, because I was at work (essential worker) and I live alone. And also due to the fact that I have alerted them since the day I was supposed to receive the package, to let them know that the package never came is more frustrating.

I work very hard for my coins and now most of people in NY are out of job. Therefore I find it inconceivable for Ulta Beauty to think that because we are essential workers, we can afford to throw money out of the window like that. Also for Ulta Beauty to just charge people's card for items never received is outrageous and shameful. Please help. We are essential workers not stealers, we work very very hard for our money. All of you guys out there ordering from Ulta Beauty please be aware of what is going on with this company. I hope this review reaches corporate because I cannot lose the amount of money that my package was worth. Tara G.

Original review: May 15, 2020

I've always had a decent experience with Ulta. My 3 daughters and I are/were regular customers. On April 3rd, I returned several items via mail that I did not like or weren't the correct product. I understand that they were overloaded with COVID, but I have now called (sat on hold for 4 hours total), emailed several times to be told that they would correct the error on their part. They have yet to refund me my money ($70) and keep saying it's been elevated. I won't return to their store. My daughters and I will go to Sephora.

Original review: May 14, 2020

Updated on 09/24/2020: I left a previous review and wanted to follow up. Since my last comment sharing that they refused to refund me my money after the $100+ worth of products were sent to the incorrect address and kept by the occupants, I received an email from Ulta attempting to confirm they sent the package to my house with a picture. The picture was not of my house whatsoever nor did it match the description I left in the delivery notes. After I sent back images of my house, and providing evidence that the houses were different colors and different stories (my apartment is white and I live on the second floor of my building), Ulta refused to admit fault and refund my money. Zero accountability for their shipment vendor’s mistake. I would stay away, bad business is their motto.

Original: If I could give them 0 stars, I would. My order was shipped to the wrong house and rather than refund my money they used Fed Ex as a scapegoat while stating the shipper “confirmed” the delivery. Rather than listening to their customer that the house was not mine, and having integrity, corporation is using corporation to save every penny they can. Canceled for me, and if you don’t want to be out money, cancel them too.

Original review: May 13, 2020

I will be the first to say I loved GOING to Ulta however, I will NEVER shop online again! I placed a order back in December 2018 and the tracking number said the package was delivered. However, I never received it, so I called both the delivery company and Ulta. The delivery company said I needed to contact Ulta so I did. I spoke to someone and she stated that there was nothing that could be done or would be done. So I was like OK, my order was under 20 bucks so I wasn’t super upset.

I placed another order again a couple months ago thinking the incident before was a one time thing. Things happen right? AGAIN my package said it was delivered but I never received it! So now my issue is that Ulta is telling me there’s nothing they can do. They won’t just do the right thing as a company and satisfy me as a customer on two orders that were less than $20. A multi million dollar company would rather lose a customer who brings them hundreds of thousands of dollars and would have continued to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars instead of them being out $40! Go figure! Ulta can afford top notch delivery. This should not be happening and twice in a row is unacceptable.

Original review: May 12, 2020

I placed an online order for over $300 with Ulta in April. My order was originally shipped with UPS. My order tracking stated my order was delivered to my front porch by USPS. It was nowhere to be seen. I checked all over my property, checked my mailbox and checked with my neighbors. When a supervisor from guest services finally did get back in touch with me, it took 1.5 weeks, they stated that they checked with the shipping company and it was proven to be delivered so they refuse to resend or refund my money. I am a diamond member and have a nice sized credit card with them. I will never again buy from Ulta and I will be cancelling my credit card!

Ulta Beauty Company Information