ulta.com

3.9/5 (672 ratings)

About Ulta Beauty

Ulta Beauty Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ulta Beauty?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ulta Beauty?

Original review: July 12, 2021

Customer service used to be good. Now they clearly outsource to India or another country, where every time I call it's static and or the call gets dropped. If I am able to reach someone, they are reading off of a script, barely speak English, and tell me someone will get back to me, and then they don't. I have wasted HOURS trying to get points back from a return ($50 worth) and no one has been able to help me. I have been told via email (also a script and totally not helpful) that my issue is being escalated. Over a month later and no one will respond or get back to me. I have been a platinum member for over 6 years now, card holder, etc and I will never make another purchase with Ulta again.

Original review: July 8, 2021

I have given this company so much business and it pains me to give such a Horrible review. I have bought some really expensive products. They’ve either been delivered to the wrong address, been delayed, or simply haven’t ever been shipped. What an embarrassment for a company that’s so successful. When I reached out to customer service, the response has always been “we can not help you, it’s shipping’s fault”. What a joke. I’ve never had these issues with Sephora. And the prices are comparable. Don’t bother with Ulta.

Original review: July 8, 2021

Never delivered!!! Customer services don't do anything, only one was kind enough to file a claim through other department but no one has contacted me, do not order from this people. I spent over $200 something dollars and never received anything, this never had happen to me with any other carrier. Unbelievable. It's been over a month and all they say is have patience.

Original review: July 8, 2021

The only reason for a 2 star is because after going back and forth with the agent, I’m finally getting a replacement. My items were supposedly “rejected” by me. When I received them they were open and spilled all over. I was also missing two expensive items. Hopefully my replacement is much better.

Original review: June 25, 2021

I have been a Platinum Member at Ulta for years. I am willing to pay premium prices because I know the customer service has always been on point. Over the last year, my orders have arrived atrocious. I understand COVID was a real thing, but the service level to rectify the issue should be top notch. In the past year, I have received product exploded in the box, another with a cracked dropper, another item missing from my order, and multiple free gifts with empty tubes and no product (Read: expired).

Today, I received an order for my Primer and Setting Spray (both of which I paid full price for). They arrived today in time for my vacation on Sunday. I am out of both products and use them daily so it was important that I received them today. To my dismay, the setting spray box was opened, missing the top and there's also missing product. I called Ulta immediately to tell them and was informed that a new product wouldn't be here for 3-4 days even if they "paid my express shipping for me" (yea, that's the least you can do). The other option was for me to make a special trip (20 min each way for me) to exchange it.

I think it's only right that when a company makes an error and the customer is inconvenienced, they provide a little something to show they're committed to making it right. The rep wouldn't budge and I asked to speak with her manager. She told me they conveniently "weren't available," but that she would put me on a call back list. I reiterated the importance of talking to a manager soon with my vacation coming up and she said it wouldn't be more than a hour. 4 hours later... no call. I called again and the rep said "it looks like they haven't gotten to making call backs yet."

She attempted to help me and said she would give me a gift card for $10. I told her that this was such an inconvenience to me and they needed to cover the cost of the product in a gift card. She said she wouldn't do it because I have already asked two other times. I told her that yes, I did ask for my money back when I received exploded products, missing items, or empty products. So how does that become my fault? Is there a limit on me asking a company to do what's right? She continued to interrupt and talk over me, and I grew increasingly patient.

I told her that I would go from Platinum Member to a Zero Member because I was tired of this. She told me she would put me on the call back list and attempted to hang up. I told her I wasn't done talking and not to hang up and she remained silent. I told her I was over this and to send me the gift card and be done and I just wouldn't continue to shop online. She responded "Due to your attitude, we are no longer offering you a gift card- good bye." I am completely appalled- she was rude, disrespectful, and berated me in the most condescending ways. I used to love Ulta, but all good things must come to an end. Seriously-- BEWARE!

Original review: June 22, 2021

My son informed. No problem. Told my credit was $500 and I was dropped to $400. Every time I speak with company always rude. Make me feel like trash so I asked for the pandemic relief and when pay $ treated like a piece of crap and talked down to. I already have stage 4 cancer and I am fighting for my life and treated like low class trash.

Original review: June 6, 2021

I experienced transphobia when I reached out to customer service. I reached out to them for changing my name on my account because I go by a different name then I did when I made the account. The rep purposefully used the name they knew was not my preferred one. They proceeded to be very passive with me. I’m disappointed because it’s pride month but I’m not super surprised.

Original review: May 19, 2021

Excellent service, great selection and everyone on the staff is outstanding! They don't overwhelm you but make sure to answer, explain and provide all the services they have to offer each time I visit.

Original review: April 23, 2021

Worst customer service! False advertising of delivery time (not due to a delay, just advertised fraudulently) and when I requested a refund for my expedited shipping they refused! I provided documentation (screenshot) of the advertised shipping and they still denied me a refund. I will NEVER shop here again! Disgusting!

Original review: April 19, 2021

I ordered products that were not available in store so they needed to be shipped. A week after placing the order I check the Ulta website to see when they would be here. The Ulta website states "awaiting for carrier pickup" but the tracking number says UDS has the package and will deliver on 4/14/21. I did not receive the package on that date. 4/15/21 I called Ulta customer service and they stated that tracking says it will be delivered on 4/15/21; to call back the next day if it's not delivered and they can refund the order. The package was not delivered. 4/16/21 I called Ulta customer service back and was told that the tracking says it'll be delivered 4/16/21 and that I should call back on Monday.

I refused to call back and stated that I wanted a refund which the customer service representative stated they couldn't do that and that the package would be delivered today. I told the representative that the package delivery date keeps moving, I talked to customer service the day before, and "what do I do if the package never arrives". The customer service representative offered to replace the products which I refused and insisted on a refund. They stated that a refund was processed and I should get an email confirming the refund in 24 -48 hours and the refund should appear in my bank in 5-8 days. Today, 4/19/21 I called Ulta customer service again because I never received an email confirming the refund. The customer service representative eventually verbally gave me the reference number for the refund, which I wrote down. I will no longer be doing any type of business with Ulta.

Original review: April 17, 2021

Billing and Ulta policy. Paid my bill ON TIME last month. Ulta never rcd. I put a stop payment and paid via another credit card same day. Received this months bill. $29 STOP PAY fee assessed. Ulta policy is they CANNOT remove it. Not my issue the mail system is slow. AND my bill was PAID on time! Seriously, they CANNOT remove it!!!! I've always had my bills paid on time. Unbelievable! I cancelled my credit card.

Original review: April 9, 2021

Ordered products in December. Those were delivered fine no problem. Ordered in April and package went to an old address. I don't even know how the old address went in there. I've lived at my new address for 5 years. How can my December order get here and not the April order? When calling post office no help. It said they delivered it. That's all they can tell me. Went to person at that address and they said, "We didn't get it." Called Ulta and can't get a refund unless the package comes back. I'm so disgusted with the customer service. Hope everyone enjoys my money and my products but I'm telling you I won't order from them again. Sephora here I come.

Original review: April 8, 2021

The Ultamate Rewards changed its policy without warning to consumers; dated 1.1.2020 at the beginning of COVID 19. Now they are classified into 3 categories based on year purchase amounts and have expiration dates. Many of us customers lost points during this pandemic because of expiration and guest service will not reinstate. This program is very confusing and is almost discriminating because it insinuates customers are valued highly only if they spend at a minimum of $1200 per year. Associates no longer ask nor encourage the patron to use their rewards. It appears as though Ulta is selfish and only concerned with financial gains.

Why establish such a difficult and multi-facet program in which average customers will easily become confused and won't be able to understand? Not to mention Ulta completely controls the program and makes all decisions involved and even has all rights to expel a person. In the fine print, it even states the patron is responsible for keeping abreast of any and all changes in the program. This most updated change in the reward program includes an expiration date of your reward points. Personally, I just lost approximately a value of $170 and will not be reinstated even though we have been in a pandemic for the past year. Rewards from business should be designed to be incentives for people to spend money and also receive some reward for being loyal.

Original review: April 7, 2021

I'm sorry, but I will not be a returning customer. I understand that one customer does not affect anything with Ulta; however, with the poor customer service and the fact that the minute I realized my order was going to the wrong address, I reached out and asked to cancel the order. I was told that once an order was placed, it could not be canceled. So then I tried to intercept the package to the address it was going to, and the place it went to said they never received it. So someone must have stolen the package either off the porch or the people it got delivered to stole it, the delivery person. However, you look at it, my package did not come to me, and the fact Ulta customer service could not cancel an order 10 minutes after it was placed is absolutely ridiculous.

So I, unfortunately, paid the price even though I attempted to correct the problem. Ulta failed in providing customer service adequately and has a flawed system that doesn't allow for cancellations immediately afterward. I was also told that even if there was a way to attempt to cancel, it wasn't guaranteed. So Ulta got 91.00, and I got nothing. My business will be elsewhere, and since I am a licensed cosmetologist, I can get all the things Ulta gets anyway at lower prices. The reason I even ordered was that I had a gift card to Ulta; otherwise, I would have got my products at my local licensed professional retailer.

It is also a shame that Ulta can not even offer to fix the problem by sending a replacement product and just taking a loss of 91.00. I work in the industry, and when my clients didn't get something they should have, I offer the products at no cost to the customer and replace the items. I take the loss, and in turn, I have happy customers and positive word of mouth. I may have taken a hit for the day, but it makes up for it tenfold down the road. So again, Ulta has poor customer service and poor business morals and ethics, and I will not deal with a business that is more interested in the bottom dollar than their paying customers.

Original review: April 6, 2021

I felt zero value as a customer. No help offered to locate packages that were not forwarded. I shop at places that show much more customer appreciation and follow up. I will shop other places in the future and avoid Ulta moving forward.

Original review: April 5, 2021

I placed an order on 3/26/21 for 2 items, the Dyson AirWrap ($550) and The Ordinary Niacinamide ($5.50). On Saturday I got confirmation that a shipping label had been created. On Monday I got confirmation that my order had shipped and it would be delivered on Tuesday 3/30/21. On Tuesday afternoon a LaserShip driver came and dropped off a small envelope containing only the $5.50 item. The shipping receipt inside the envelope confirmed that both items were supposed to have been in the same package. Since then I have been given the run-around for a week. The only time I get any response is when I send a follow-up email.

Then I get a new email response from some random customer service member saying that it's being looked into. I have now received 3 of 4 of these emails saying absolutely nothing. When I called last Tuesday I was told someone would call me within 24-48 hours. No one has called and I have 0 confidence that I will get the AirWrap that I ordered or be refunded. Based on the reviews I have seen here and elsewhere online it sounds like Ulta doesn't really care about their customers after they get our money.

Original review: April 5, 2021

I went into my local Ulta store looking for a lip product. There was one left but the tamper seal was broken and an employee suspected it was used by another customer. I placed the order online and ordered 2 colors. One came with the tamper seal intact but the color lip product that was open in the store, had the tamper seal missing again when it arrived by mail.

I called and asked if they shipped this from my local store or the warehouse. I was told the warehouse. I then asked why there were products coming from the warehouse with broken tamper seals (being sent to customers and possibly stores with broken seals). And by broken seals, I mean the seal was peeled back (leaving residue where it should’ve been intact) and pushed down inside of the box.

There was an issue when having the replacement ordered. Starting with the rep assuring me that ordering a replacement was him doing me a favor. We discussed making sure UPS could come and pick up the item before issuing a replacement because if not, I would take it to local Ulta for a refund. The rep assured me that UPS would pick it up then ordered the replacement, then immediately told me UPS was not guaranteed to pick it up. Then, the shipping label never came via email.

Called back weeks later and ran into another issue with the label. After offering to verify many methods successfully (full name, email, shipping address, order number), I was refused a re-emailing of the return shipment label by a supervisor for me refusing to keep verifying more info over and over again. I’m disgusted at the customer service provided. Now I have this lip product with a broken seal and the replacement and no return label, meaning that after 30 days, they will charge me for the replaced product. I’m disgusted with both interactions with guest services. I don’t want a coupon because I never want to shop here again.

Original review: March 23, 2021

I was at Ulta today. I was waiting at the checkout counter and no one was there. After a while I started timing it. I heard someone tell the cashier multiple times that someone was waiting, but no one showed up. Five plus minutes later the girl begins slowly coming over. She is stopping and fixing things on the shelf, not caring that I am there. Even after looking at me and someone telling her again I was waiting. She then grabs another woman's product and takes it around the register to ring her up. She looks at me and says, "I will be with you in a moment." I say back (nicely) that I have been waiting. The woman's whose product she took says she does not mind waiting 'til after me. The cashier tells her absolutely not, looks at me and says I can wait.

I set my products down on the counter and just walk out. She does not apologize, I just heard her give some comment to me in a very snippy voice. This is not the first time I have waited at the line with no one to check me out. Another employee will always be telling someone I am there and I am always ignored. It is always the same girl who then eventually comes up. This never happens when there is another cashier there. And this specific one never apologizes for my wait. I usually don't care because I understand people are busy. But taking the other woman in front of me, when she suggested that she didn't mind waiting was the last straw for me. I will not go back there.

Original review: March 16, 2021

I logged into my account via ULTA Beauty App but it created new account than my previous account created in-store my phone number. Hence, I had duplicate accounts. My account was merged at store on request but then all my reward points were lost. The customer service is so adamant, arrogant and pathetic to not tell me details of my account at all or give my point back or agree to the store manager. Worst customer service ever encountered who was not even agreeing to customer or store manager. We had to ultimately hang up disappointed.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

In these difficult times the convenience of being able to order something online and have it delivered to your home is a godsend but when things go wrong it really can bring your day to a crashing halt and that’s exactly what my order with Ulta did, not only did the order take longer considering the circumstances which is fine (IE the pandemic) but in their warehouse they made a mistake and sent me the incorrect order. When I called customer service to notify them of the mistake not only did they not offer me expedited shipping on the items that I had placed an order for but they also told me that it was going to be my responsibility to take their items to a UPS or post office location to send it back to them.

They not only did not offer to retrieve their own items from my home themselves facilitating their own UPS pick up which most multi-million dollar corporations can do.. but their customer care team was completely unapologetic for the situation and did not offer any other options... Moving forward after this experience, looks like I’ll be going through Sephora to have my items shipped. Not the way to treat a customer who is trying to do the decent thing here and notify them of the mistake...

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

Just checked the status of my order. A delivery was not even attempted and never received any communication from Ulta...just says returned to sender. My address is correct and I have received package no problem from Ulta in the past. My last three online orders have have the same return to sender without any communication. This is not the kind of service I expect for a Diamond status client. I don’t want my goods returned and I don’t want a refund to pacify my aggregation. Why can’t my goods, that I have paid for, be sent to my local store for my pickup if Ulta can’t follow through on their end of the deal? Shame on you Ulta for such poor service. Sephora is calling my name.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

I’m extremely disappointed in Ulta. On Black Friday I took advantage of some of their deals and bought about 200 dollars worth of makeup for about 90. Ulta ships this package through Lasership, which is apparently like the Uber of delivery services. Whoever was delivering my package was lazy and claimed that I had a security gate code and they couldn’t get in. I don’t have a security gate code. There is a gate that’s open 24/7. LaserShip never calls me to let me know they couldn’t deliver, but I see it on the tracking and I called LaserShip and Ulta and they promise to correct the issue and deliver it the next day.

The next day, the tracking shows that lasership sent my package back to ulta. I called ulta and asked if ulta could send the package back to me, preferably with a different delivery service, but Ulta refused. They did not want to be liable for the extra shipping, even though it was because Ulta’s shipping partner made the mistake. Ulta said no matter what, I would just get a refund when they received my order back at their site (meaning I missed out on my Black Friday deals). Two months go by, and I realize they never gave me a refund! I called Ulta and asked them about it and they gave me a refund, thankfully. The people I dealt with on the phone throughout this experience were nice, but they had to follow ulta’s corporate policy, which are frankly terrible. Whoever is managing Ulta’s customer service at the top is running this business into the ground. I will never be purchasing from Ulta again.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2021

They ship with LSO and said delivered but didn’t. After said delivery there was still activity on account and Ulta customer service says, "Oh sometimes they do that. Give it 3 more days." Still don’t have after gave second chance to delivery.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

Does this look familiar to anyone? "At this time we will no longer be able to accept your online order request(s) on Ulta.com. We welcome you to visit your local Ulta Beauty store to shop, where our trained associates can assist you in selecting the right products for you." It started out nice. I've been ordering from Ulta since 10/2018. Haven't had any problems until 10/2020. I tried to place an order and received the error "We're unable to process your order. Verify your payment info or use another payment method."

I have an Ultamate Rewards Credit Card through Comenity Bank. I called them. My account is, and has been, current and in good standing. I have no restrictions on my account with them. They can see the transactions as pending, but the transactions never complete through Ulta.com. I received an email from Ulta Beauty Guest Services telling me that I had disputed an order and because of that, I was unable to order online. However, I had no recollection OR record of this order. Someone from Ulta's online chat service was able to confirm that the order number Guest Services referenced was NOT MINE. The card used for this purchase was NOT MINE. The address and name for the order was NOT MINE.

I've requested that they restore my account and my ability to place online orders several times now, and they keep sending me replies that start with "Thanks for reaching out! We are more than happy to help you! ...(blah blah blah)...we will no longer be able to accept your online order request(s) on ulta.com." I realize that, in the scheme of things, my business is small potatoes for them, so they won't really miss it. My purpose for posting this review is to hopefully help someone else avoid the same frustrations that I have experienced. And also, let other people that have had a similar experience out there know that they are not alone. I am frustrated and insulted that I am basically being punished for something I did not do.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

Based on other reviews, it appears Ulta's reputation is declining. I used to love this store and never had issues until now. I made a purchase last month that I never received. They sent my order to an old address I hadn't lived in for 10 years. Mind you, I have had other orders previously delivered to my correct address. I didn't realize this until I called looking for my order that said delivered. The first rep I spoke to said she will have items reshipped, then I received an email right afterwards that said, "sorry, we cannot resend your package since it was already delivered". I called back and was told I should file a police report and once that is done, they can resend my package. I did what was advise and called back with report and asked where to forward it, to only be told that I was misinformed and they will not resend or refund. I asked for a supervisor that repeated the same thing.

I am beyond livid. I paid over $100 for items I never received. I asked how this could have happened since they have sent previous orders to my correct address and they had no answer. The police officer that took my report was even appalled by this and advised I call my bank to file a dispute, which I have. I will NEVER order from this company again and I have spread the word. The rep at my bank couldn't believe this either and said I should write a review to make others aware and concluded that she will not shop there from now on and will tell everyone she knows. I am not one to file complaints unless it comes to losing money. I think everyone needs to be aware of this. This not acceptable from a large corporation that has insurance for these kind of issues.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

So you should know I order online a lot and more than once I have lost a package from a big company, like Target, once I saw an Amazon guy leaving my package with my neighbor, but every single time this big companies have reimbursed me with the exception of ULTA, they choose to send my package to an old address that is 400 miles away from where I live, and they won’t neither redirect the package or reimburse me, dealing with them has been a pain, I will never be a customer of them again.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

I usually have no problem shopping on Ulta's website. I recently made a purchase and realized after I placed it that I had the wrong shipping address. I tried to cancel the order before it was processed and shipped but there was nowhere for me to do that. So I contacted the guest services and they told me that they cannot cancel any orders because once the order is placed it is sent to processing and from there it cannot be cancelled. I think that is a terrible policy to have. Most online shopping sites allow you to cancel an order as long as it hasn't shipped.

I have emailed and called customer support multiple times and all they would do is tell me the same stuff over and over again. My package ended up getting shipped and sent to my old mailing address and because the mailing sticker on the package said "Do not forward. Do not return" the post office sent it to be basically thrown away. I think that Ulta needs to change their website so that if an order needs cancelled it should be able to be cancelled so long as it has not been shipped yet. I tried to resolve my error but because of Ulta's stupid policies and refuse to help me in any way, I lost out on some great products and I wasted a gift card.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2021

I would give this store 0 stars if I can... Here's what happened at my visit and I had to go through corporate and they are just as bad too cuz they said they would call me back and give me a refund or fix the issue with 24-48 hours and I haven't received anything yet and its been 3 weeks... Please reach out to this guest regarding the below complaint/store issue (guest requires callback within 24-48hrs). Respond directly to this email so the incident can be updated and resolved within Guest Services. Thank you!

________________________________________________

Guest is calling because she had a salon visit to get her hair fixed, the stylist wasn’t able to complete the whole service in one day, the guest got her hair toned. And she charged her $100 the first day and $700 the second day. She claims the stylist overcharged her for service that was not what she asked for. She was in the salon for 7+ hours while the stylist allegedly was leaving and going to lunch during her service. She attempted to call the manager but the manager was rude and wouldn’t offer her a solution to the problem. The guest claims she didn’t have money to spend on the service to begin with and was trying to treat herself but felt undervalued as a guest and lied to. She would like this situation to be fixed. Puyallup, Washington, Rainier Village 98374. Savannah was the stylist.

Also, someone else from our team spoke to the Guest and told this: Spoke to the guest. When she got home from the Salon it was really itchy, and when she scratched her head, there was dried bleach wasn't washed out completely. It's dry regardless. Hair is not falling out in chunks. Prefers a refund. She doesn't want to go back to the Salon. Would feel uncomfortable going back. $100 for tone. Stylist wasn't transparent about the prices (is what she tried to explain to the Manager). Gave her a quote after she had already bleached her hair and guest said she's never spent $500 on a Bleach. Manager says, "That's what we charge for a Color corrector." Manager was defensive and rude.

The stylist told her that they did all of these extra things on top of toning and bleaching her hair. She went detail by detail. Basically, told her that's how much they charge and she apologizes for the experience and it's just the way it is. Toner didn't cover the roots. When she blew dry her hair she told her it's okay because it still looks good, trying to make it sound like it was okay. People don't tip stylists and people are rude. At the end she told her that it took 7 hours and it's going to be $700 for the service. Estimated $350-$400 online. Charge per half hour. When she was getting ready to leave is when she said it was $700. The problem the transparency of the pricing and the defensiveness of the Manager. Found her to be unprofessional, and Manager basically told her she is wrong.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

I ordered on-line for a curbside pickup at the Ithaca, N.Y. store. I ordered shampoo, conditioner and two travel size items. The order was ready when I got to the store. I did not think I had to inspect the items at that time of pickup. Once I got home and I removed the items I immediately realized the shampoo was used. The seal was broken, hair was stuck to the broken seal and the bottle had dried shampoo on the outside of the bottle. The conditioner also had a broken seal but the bottle had an overall better appearance.

I called the store immediately and explained the situation and that I would have to drive 45 minutes one way to return it. I did not have any other choice but to drive back the next day due to the $60 I spent on these products. When I got to the store to return the items I was treated poorly immediately and was not offered any discount or coupons for my inconvenience. All they would do was replace the used items. I instead said please return my money and I will never do business with Ulta Beauty again. They could have cared less.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2020

Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT order anywhere close to Christmas. I submitted my order on December 11, 2020, only received one email stating that my order had been processed. A week later, still nothing. Clicked the link to track my order on several occasions and it still had not been shipped. I called customer service. The representative would not shut her mouth long enough to listen to what I had to say. I had to forcefully interrupt her to request a supervisor.

Waited thirteen minutes for a supervisor. When she came on, she started talking about the national shipping crisis. I asked if I could do curbside pickup instead, she said, "No, they've already made the label and it's ready to be shipped". I then asked if I could cancel the order, she said, "No, it's too late for that". I asked for her supervisor and she said that there wasn't one available right now. I told her that I would be calling my bank and contacting the Better Business Bureau. I then told her Merry Christmas!

Ulta Beauty Company Information