ulta.com

3.9/5 (503 ratings)

About Ulta Beauty

Ulta Beauty Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ulta Beauty?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ulta Beauty?

Original review: Dec. 10, 2021

Received the merchandise in Florida that belong in a home in New Jersey. The customer service is terrible, they only can't tell me that I received my materials because the track says so. Name on the box mine, name of the items inside someone else. Clueless customer service reps, can assist you. Terrible service. Who works without a supervisor this days. After waiting for 20 minutes on line for a Manager they return with the lie that they don't have one. Appalling service. My mistake that I did not reviewed the hundred negative review Ulta Beauty has before ordering online.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2021

I ordered several items one of them being the Dyson airwrap upon opening the package everything was there but that. I thought maybe it was in another package but that wasn’t the case. Checked my cameras and nothing was taken. Called Ulta 4 separate times and 3 of them being put on hold just to be hung up on after being told it was in fact delivered. Incredibly frustrating that they can’t take responsibility after finally getting in touch with a supervisor the only thing she could offer was a refund. How do you just not ship an item while charging over $600? Unacceptable business ethics.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

I placed two separate orders to the same address for my nieces in CA so that they can open their own box. This isn't the case. Ulta canceled one of the orders without letting me know even though I received confirmation email. I thought is this out of stock? No, it's still available but now without the Black Friday deal. So, since it's not my fault and I never received the cancellation email from Ulta, if they can charge again and just send the pkg with the deal. They said no. But they'll give me $15 gift card. I'm like, "What?" There's a reason why I order two separate gifts for my nieces. Anyway, I googled if there are any similar cases like mine, and they seem to be notorious about this.

I would've just ordered it from Bloomingdale's or Nordstrom. But again, deals are now gone. It's not like I'm asking for free stuff. I'm gonna pay for this shipping and just give me the same deal that you canceled. This just makes me mad that I have to shop for something else since I don't want to purchase with this company ever again.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2021

I strongly advise reading reviews for Ulta before entering their store for anything! They pride themselves on customers being their top priority, but when you are due a refund they refuse to issue or make exceptions due to the circumstances. Two weeks of emails and they refuse to remedy my situation.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

I placed an order on 11/23 that has been stuck in “waiting for carrier pick up” for a week. The rep told me they won’t do anything about replacing or refunding my order for another week, there is nothing else they can do for me. I was denied an opportunity to speak with a supervisor - his answer was actually “No”. I called back and asked for a supervisor and they said one will call me - none are on duty (a lie). I work in customer service and wouldn’t dream of treating a customer this way. I’ll be checking out their competitors for my future business.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

Do not order from this company online. Go to the store and purchase your items. Ordered two items and got charged for TWO items. Only received one item. I called and inquire about the other item. The customer service department disconnected my call twice. The third time the customer service representative was nice and tried his best to assist. The representative stated he was told they couldn’t refund my money or ship out the item I ordered. I would have to call and dispute the transaction with my bank. Horrible.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

Purchased merchandise on Black Friday to qualify for free $60 gift. Received my order without the free gift even though it was listed on the packing slip. Contacted customer service and was told free gifts can't be reshipped even though it was their mistake. Think twice before you purchase something from Ulta that includes a free gift!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2021

I placed an online order for a few Black Friday deals. After checking out, I realized I didn't get the promotion they were offering. Immediately called customer service to cancel and they told me system wouldn't let them.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

I recently moved so this review begins with a small mistake on my part. I used to live in CA and I moved to FL. My shipping address was still saved in my Ulta account as California. I noticed this immediately after checkout and attempted to cancel the order. There is no cancel button. I emailed in and spoke to 3 separate Customer Service Representatives all saying that they can't do anything to change my address or cancel my order. The package ships after a day or two.

I contact UPS asking if I can change the shipping address. The Customer Service Representative at UPS says that I have to contact Ulta to get my shipping address changed. I call Ulta and am finally connected with someone who can do SOMETHING about my order. He says he'll try to reroute my package. I say that my package can't go to California because that's thousands of miles from where I live now. He says if he can't reroute the package he'll cancel my order. So now apparently my order can be canceled. My order is canceled and returned to sender.

I wait a few days and my refund still hasn't come through so I contact customer service AGAIN and am put into contact with someone new over the phone. She tells me my order is being returned to sender so I need to wait 30 DAYS. AN ENTIRE MONTH for my refund to go through because the warehouse can't process the refund till they receive the product back. I don't have the product. UPS has the product. Ulta has my money. I'm stuck in limbo waiting for a refund to process that takes a full month. This company is a mess. They literally should not exist if this is how they treat customers who are screwed over by their lack of organization. I will NEVER shop from Ulta again and you shouldn't either for fear of being screwed over as badly as I have been.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2021

"THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!!" I went into our local Ulta to exchange a $20 can of hairspray, because when I opened it I noticed that the spray nozzle was broken. The manager would not exchange the unused can because I did not have my receipt. Are you kidding me!!! I have called customer service to speak to a supervisor not once, twice,..but 5 times and still have not received a return call from a supervisor!!! The lack of customer care is UNACCEPTABLE!!! I used to shop at Ulta a lot, but NOT ANYMORE!! THIS BUSINESS WILL BE CLOSED SOON!!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

I placed an order with Ulta to take advantage of the $15 off and for some reason, they are shipping this order to an address I haven't lived at for over a year, despite me removing this address on their website and their app multiple times. I noticed this immediately, so I spoke with a customer service rep who acknowledged the error and said they would attempt to cancel the order. Not even an hour later, I received an email stating that they cannot cancel the order because it’s already been shipped. It has not shipped, they are flat out lying about that! It still says processing.

I told them how absurd this is and asked them to please reroute the package to the correct address, to which their response was “maybe.” That's totally unacceptable. If it were my error, I would accept it. If they didn’t lie about my order shipping, maybe I wouldn’t be so annoyed, but this is their fault and they need to rectify it immediately. I know that they know about the problem because there are hundreds of other complaints almost identical to mine on the BBB’s website. It’s like they’re purposely trying to lose customers.

I have placed a few orders since I updated my address beginning in September 2020 and my payment method is PayPal, which is also linked to my correct address. This makes no sense for them to be shipping to an address I no longer have on file with them, PayPal, or my bank/credit card. They need to fix their outdated technology and horrendous customer service! I will stick with Sephora, this is not worth the hassle to save $15. It obviously has something to do with their systems and their customers (former customer in my case) shouldn’t be penalized for moving.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2021

This is a report that Ultra Beauty robbing their customers during pandemic. This company is scammer. I have placed an order on Oct 19 2021. On product page price was $14.50. I purchased 10 units and in checkout total came to be $284.20 meaning each item at checkout increased double to be $28.42. I did not notice first and clicked "Pay". Later I notice I got scammed. After my first email they immediately changed the product page price. After many more emails I sent they said they're gonna investigate, but they never get back to me until I followed up numerous times. After dragging this matter to a month. They sent me an email that, "We can't refund you anything because it was on promotion based on Central Time." Basically they told me, "Maybe we did mistakes but our customers are doomed to pay the price of our mistakes." I wish I could attach my screen shots I took from product page and checkout page here for awareness.

How come price on product page was not based on Central Time but checkout total is?! How come all mistakes by business end up favoring the business? How come they can't accept their mistake and want their mistake to cost customers? This is classic scammer website. False pricing and charge you double. Based on Section 5 of the FTC Act deceptive pricing is unlawful and I will also bring this to court. I have all evidence it needs. I will tell all my friend and family and business colleague to stop getting scammed by them. This business does not need a 1 star, this business should be shut down.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2021

Read the fine print here. I placed an order for 180 on a Saturday night. At checkout, they offer me choice of shipping est delivery day of Tues ($17), Thurs ($10), or some 8 to 10 day window. I chose the Tuesday delivery. On Tues the order still hasn't been processed and Silvia from customer service says that the premium is actually 2-3 days. But then the expedited shipping is 3-4 days. So if my order is shipped and received at the same rate as the expedited then why are they billing me 7 more? When I emailed to ask about this, they said, "Sorry, your complaint has been filed." So I'm out 180 dollars. No product and no estimated delivery date. NO HELP from customer service. Not even a 5 dollar coupon. Nothing. This was my first and only experience shopping here. Never again. I'll go to Sephora or Macy's.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

I picked up a curbside order today in Dayton Mall, Dayton, Ohio and I have several complaints. There was no clear direction of how to pick up when I called to tell them I was there, it was a quick “we will be right out” hang up; the salesperson brought it out and pulled her mask down to talk to me (this is the critical time to have it up); I asked where I was supposed to pick this up at, she stated I was to pull up front, my response was “Isn’t that a fire lane and restricted?” She said it was okay to pull up there and wait; I asked if free gift was also in bag, she informed me that it should be- it was not.when I asked her, she said “must be out”, turned to leave..I asked “do I get anything else?” She walked away. The bag was a reason for one of my purchases

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

I recently went to the Salon at Ulta in Long Beach, CA, expecting a professional job. The stylist was nice enough but after 5 hours in the chair, I walked out looking like a rainbow colored zebra. NOTHING like the picture I showed him and he did not lift the color out of my hair. Now I have yellow & green tinge to my hair. DO NOT GET YOUR HAIR DONE AT ULTA!!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

I am a Diamond member with ULTA Beauty and have had several GWP items missing, orders that stay on status awaiting carrier pickup and rude guest service reps (Rose). This company is not what they once were. Go to Sephora!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

The courier service said they showed proof of delivery for an item I never received. I spent $700 for a product I don't have. I am being punished by Ulta and the horrible courier service (which is not even a reputable company, all you have to do is stop being lazy and do your research and you will see this is a common theme with them). I don't understand why Ulta would ship a $700 package through an unknown source. It should have been FedEx or UPS. I am now having Ulta and that courier service investigated which started yesterday.

Your company has made me the criminal when I have done absolutely nothing wrong, within an hour after the delivery (I was at work 40mins away, and didn't get off until 6pm and make it home until nearly 7pm), I had my friend go down to my door within an hour of "delivery" and she said nothing was there! So how in the world did my package disappear? It was placed at my front door, And why wasn't it placed in the mailroom in the locker so that I could get a code to retrieve it, the courier service was lazy and actually never came to my property! Ulta says the courier has proof of delivery but has refused to show this proof and a picture of the delivery.

On top of that, the person delivering for the company is independent, which means they're hired by them to drop packages off and if they marked delivered, they are paid around $2 to $3 per delivered item. So where is my package Ulta? Do you truly think that everyone is a liar and that there are no honest people? $700 for an item I don't have but now have paid for. You should have never used LSO (Lonestar Overnight Shipping). On top of that I called them 3 times and was on hold for nearly an hour each time and no one ever picked up, I left my name for a callback and they never tried to reach me. This is a shady company and cannot believe a reputable company like Ulta is okay with this service.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

This company is THE ABSOLUTE WORST at getting you to purchase items and promises a free gift; when you inquire about the free gift, all of a sudden no one knows anything. This has happened to me twice. Everyone please stop shopping with them.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

I redeemed some of my rewards points in an online purchase. I used $33 dollars in points and was deducted $44. I reported the issue and was "taught" their redemption policies which are not point for point dollar for dollar. I then asked to cancel the order. They agreed, but did not actually cancel it nor did they return my points. I feel that I should have been informed at checkout so that I could have canceled the order or modified it in order to retain the value of my points.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

I mistyped my address and I had already placed my order. I immediately went to cancel or simply update my address and they responded with this “after partnering with our warehouse, we were unable to cancel your order because it is already in the process of shipment. We truly apologize for the inconvenience, as we are unable to change the address on an order or reship to a different address once the order has been placed. If your order fails to be delivered, or delivery is refused, it will be returned to the sender, in turn, you will receive your refund once it is received in our warehouse!” Horrible, I've never dealt with something like this. Where you can’t cancel or even update an address when I had JUST placed the order! Now if it gets delivered and no one rejects the order they won’t refund me! I did not expect something like this from such a big company.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

If you order online you run the risk of your package being left anywhere the delivery company deems ok, even if it is an apartment complex, where it can be taken by anybody. I live in apt complex that has a delivery hub to prevent this, however it was dropped in the foyer where there is no security. And because of this the package is gone, however not their problem, can you imagine if the post office did the same with your mail. Ulta doesn't deem it sufficient, so not only do I need to pay for what I didn't get, if I want it, I need to buy it again. Never order from them, they contracted the cheapest delivery company and we pay the price.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

Absolutely the worst customer service I have ever experienced. When you order with expedited shipping they will show a ‘receive by’ date that means absolutely nothing. They will send it with standard shipping and refuse to refund the shipping charges. That is if you can even get ahold of anyone. Numerous emails went unanswered and chats were disconnected after spending 20+ minutes answering basic questions over and over. I will never shop with this company again.

Original review: July 28, 2021

My sister had her hair done at one of the Ulta location. Ulta stands for quality, that is the reason she has chosen the service there. However, it was a complete disaster. Her hair was a complete mess. I continuously called the manager at the location where she has been “serviced” only to be given the runaround. I sent them an that they requested of me, was promised a solution within the day and had not heard anything until I called back 2 days later. The original appointment was made with a master stylist and she was given a novice (Not the one the appointment was made with). Ultimately, they were unable to help us come to a resolution, ending with a very rude phone call on their end. I was nothing but respectful in trying to come to a solution but was met with an attitude. Will NEVER be going to any Ulta locations from here on out. Ulta stands for quality, and what my sister and I experienced there was nothing close. Do better.

Original review: July 28, 2021

This is the second time I've tried Ulta online for home delivery. Neither time was correct. It's easier to just drive to the store and save myself the time and frustration of incorrect orders, and deliveries that never arrive. Done.

Original review: July 25, 2021

I ordered over $200 worth of products on 7/15/21 and never received the delivery. Tracking says delivered at the lobby on 7/17/21. I don’t know why they wouldn’t just bring to my apt if I was home all day since I work from home…either way there were a bunch of packages in the lobby. None for me. I called customer service (who is outsourced in another country). Their response was I have to wait 3 days because with Lasership (shipping co) sometimes items are marked delivered without it being delivered.

At this point after hearing such nonsense I decided to do my homework and found a bunch of bad reviews on the same exact issue and complaints on BBB website. I decided to tell customer service to escalate this since delivering to the lobby was not a direct delivery and will either want my money back or to reship the items. I did not waste time and reported both company to the BBB on 7/23/21 and I am currently in the process of seeing how this plays out. My case was supposedly “escalated” but from these review below I see escalated is just a script the outsourced company use.

The 3rd company outsourced company also admitted that they don’t have direct communication with USA headquarters and that is why they are unable to give customers a valid response. This is ridiculous and I can’t believe such a cool company is being damaged by their 3rd party customer service and scamming shipping company… I hope headquarters pays attention. Seems like a class action lawsuit will do the trick for all those customers that have lost their hard earned money. I will update this review with resolution outcome.

Original review: July 12, 2021

Customer service used to be good. Now they clearly outsource to India or another country, where every time I call it's static and or the call gets dropped. If I am able to reach someone, they are reading off of a script, barely speak English, and tell me someone will get back to me, and then they don't. I have wasted HOURS trying to get points back from a return ($50 worth) and no one has been able to help me. I have been told via email (also a script and totally not helpful) that my issue is being escalated. Over a month later and no one will respond or get back to me. I have been a platinum member for over 6 years now, card holder, etc and I will never make another purchase with Ulta again.

Original review: July 8, 2021

I have given this company so much business and it pains me to give such a Horrible review. I have bought some really expensive products. They’ve either been delivered to the wrong address, been delayed, or simply haven’t ever been shipped. What an embarrassment for a company that’s so successful. When I reached out to customer service, the response has always been “we can not help you, it’s shipping’s fault”. What a joke. I’ve never had these issues with Sephora. And the prices are comparable. Don’t bother with Ulta.

Original review: July 8, 2021

Never delivered!!! Customer services don't do anything, only one was kind enough to file a claim through other department but no one has contacted me, do not order from this people. I spent over $200 something dollars and never received anything, this never had happen to me with any other carrier. Unbelievable. It's been over a month and all they say is have patience.

Original review: July 8, 2021

The only reason for a 2 star is because after going back and forth with the agent, I’m finally getting a replacement. My items were supposedly “rejected” by me. When I received them they were open and spilled all over. I was also missing two expensive items. Hopefully my replacement is much better.

Original review: June 25, 2021

I have been a Platinum Member at Ulta for years. I am willing to pay premium prices because I know the customer service has always been on point. Over the last year, my orders have arrived atrocious. I understand COVID was a real thing, but the service level to rectify the issue should be top notch. In the past year, I have received product exploded in the box, another with a cracked dropper, another item missing from my order, and multiple free gifts with empty tubes and no product (Read: expired).

Today, I received an order for my Primer and Setting Spray (both of which I paid full price for). They arrived today in time for my vacation on Sunday. I am out of both products and use them daily so it was important that I received them today. To my dismay, the setting spray box was opened, missing the top and there's also missing product. I called Ulta immediately to tell them and was informed that a new product wouldn't be here for 3-4 days even if they "paid my express shipping for me" (yea, that's the least you can do). The other option was for me to make a special trip (20 min each way for me) to exchange it.

I think it's only right that when a company makes an error and the customer is inconvenienced, they provide a little something to show they're committed to making it right. The rep wouldn't budge and I asked to speak with her manager. She told me they conveniently "weren't available," but that she would put me on a call back list. I reiterated the importance of talking to a manager soon with my vacation coming up and she said it wouldn't be more than a hour. 4 hours later... no call. I called again and the rep said "it looks like they haven't gotten to making call backs yet."

She attempted to help me and said she would give me a gift card for $10. I told her that this was such an inconvenience to me and they needed to cover the cost of the product in a gift card. She said she wouldn't do it because I have already asked two other times. I told her that yes, I did ask for my money back when I received exploded products, missing items, or empty products. So how does that become my fault? Is there a limit on me asking a company to do what's right? She continued to interrupt and talk over me, and I grew increasingly patient.

I told her that I would go from Platinum Member to a Zero Member because I was tired of this. She told me she would put me on the call back list and attempted to hang up. I told her I wasn't done talking and not to hang up and she remained silent. I told her I was over this and to send me the gift card and be done and I just wouldn't continue to shop online. She responded "Due to your attitude, we are no longer offering you a gift card- good bye." I am completely appalled- she was rude, disrespectful, and berated me in the most condescending ways. I used to love Ulta, but all good things must come to an end. Seriously-- BEWARE!

Ulta Beauty Company Information