Ulta Beauty

ulta.com

Compare Makeup Brands

Research top Makeup Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Like other reviewers, I will stick with Sephora as everything always works out well with them. Today I spent a lot of my time in the store, particularly interested in the clearance section, several Coola items including a kit with four small products...all clearance items were unmarked!!! An employee tried to help, but agreed, nothing was priced. She took it to the front register and said it was $50. No way, clearly this item was not fifty bucks!!! How could I go further??? So it will sit on the shelf for another year. Whenever I have purchased clearance items, often find they are further discounted when I get to the register, which seems ridiculous. If you are trying to clear them, why not show the lowest price???

Then, to use my $3.50 coupon, I purchased hair accessories priced at $11.99 and $2.47. The $2.47 hair tie had clearly been around a long time and on sale. Standing in line another long time. When I get to the register, the coupon cannot be used because one item is a clearance item, $2.47...I gave her my coupon, my book, the items, she can keep them all and know exactly what to do with them because I ain't going back in that freaking store. I hate the place and all the time wasted trying to make purchases. Awful customer service, terrible policies. Like other complaints here, I once attempted to make a return with a receipt and nope, as I waited endlessly for the woman ahead of me to do an exchange, these clerks are braindead with no accountability nor ability to make a decision. Hate it.

I purchased a gift card online from Ulta to be mailed as a Christmas gift. It was never received. I have contacted Ulta numerous times asking for either a refund or to issue another gift card. They don't seem willing to do either one. They won't even answer my emails any more. Beware when purchasing gift cards online that you may never receive them.

The staff in the store was non-inviting and the female security guard kept hovering around me like a vulture. The ladies in the makeup department did not appear to want to help me at all. I will never shop or recommend this store! Sephora will have all of my business.

I ordered $195.45 worth of products at Ulta and only $36.00 showed up. They said they sent two different packages on the same day (hours apart) and how is it that I only received one with only one item inside? Okay, mistakes happen but when they do and items are not delivered I expect them to take ownership and help the customer. It baffles me that they can treat their customers like this! I will be an exclusive Sephora customer from now on.

Initial order was "lost", only got box 2/2 with 1 tiny makeup item, such a waste. Reorder was "expedited" over a wk prior to Xmas, came nearly a wk AFTER. I had to battle last min shoppers and empty shelves to complete my daughter's Christmas. I wk at 930, Ulta opens at 10, yet to mail it back, I have to pay and take it to the post office according to Robin at Ulta when I called. I'm going thru Sephora from now on.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ulta Beauty?

First when I walked in, I went straight for what I knew I wanted. I was being stared down by the security guy for pretty much the whole time while I was trying to enjoy my browsing, and he didn't try and make it discreet making me very uncomfortable. They think that they prevent shoplifting, when really it just turns paying customers away. I am a professional in the industry so I know how things run. The line wrapped around the whole store so I just left, returning later because no one was very warm and friendly.

On another note, they make returns very difficult without stating clear details. I had the receipt but they refused to let me return a product I was unhappy with. They would not even let me exchange it. I think management is just so overwhelmed trying to prevent loss that they treat all of their customers as a threat to business, very unprofessional as well. I will stick with Sephora. It is a well oiled machine there, and a little bit more of an elevated experience with the freedom to browse and have fun in the store.

Went to Corey at Ulta Beauty at Meadowbrook Mall in Bridgeport WV on Dec 22 2016. My hair was midway down my back and all one length. I took a picture of a Bob haircut that I really liked. Everyone in the store told me Corey was the best stylist there. I showed him the picture and he assured me he could cut it that way with no problem. I have plenty of hair but it is like baby hair and every little miss snip shows and takes forever to grow back. I also told him a few horror stories about stylists using thinning shears on my hair which is a big no no with fine hair. Well long story short he absolutely butchered my hair. Cut big chunks out of the back and then used thinning shears. He absolutely gave me the WORST haircut I have ever had.

I went today and got a refund but it will take a year to get my hair looking decent again. I have super straight silver hair that now looks absolutely terrible. If he is the best stylist there I would hate to see the work of the other stylists. I would not have gotten a worse haircut at the local beauty Academy. Do not let him cut your hair. Supposedly he is a "master" stylist but as far as I am concerned I could have cut it myself and done just as good. If I could give negative stars I would.

My first experience in store was with my daughter. I asked one of the sales ladies to help us in the "general" cosmetics area. WELL- once she realized it was not the premium products I was questioning she told me quote, " OH THAT IS THE TARGET SIDE OF THE STORE, WE DON'T ASSIST OVER THERE". WTH??? REALLY? UGH I hate that store... Anyway my daughter went to buy X-mas gifts. Package should have been delivered. It was to the WRONG ADDRESS. Granted NOT Ulta's fault. UPS had no problems filing a complaint.

Called Ulta. They said 'cause order was over $65 I needed to dispute with CC Company. The order was $66. UM NO! So they agreed to re-ship after convincing them. SO it's Christmas. I ask if everything was avail. After 10 min on hold girl comes back and says NO. Only 1 of the items are AND the proceeds to tell me they will issue a gift card for the items that are not... UM NO!!! I want my money back. So after arguing back n forth- they granted a ONE TIME ONLY exception. Are you freaking kidding me? I do NOT like this store nor the policies they have.

I tried to make a purchase on the Ulta website and it kept refusing my credit card, so I tried PayPal and it refused that also - I had just used the card on another site, no problem. After reading complaints, going back years, about card problems, I checked my credit card and PayPal accounts and found numerous charges had been made to my account. Every time it refused my card and told me to try again it actually charged my account. If it won't accept my card, why the ** is it charging my account?? I tried to call Ulta's 800 line and a recording tried to force me to take a survey. What a load of crap. Horrible customer service. Avoid this company entirely and save your sanity.

I get my hair cut and colored at the salon. I love my stylist. She's good at her job and nice. I love that I get points for the my salon experience. I love all of the deals they have like extra points and free stuff. The only negative issue I've ever had is when I ordered online once and the order got lost in the mail. Ulta was very accommodating. They were going to refund my order and then give me free next day shipping on the new order. The USPS messed it up and sent my order to a depot. I ended up getting two sets of the same order which in the long run is fine with me because it's all stuff that I'll use. Also, I find it annoying that I'll buy something on the slightly more expensive side and then two days later I'll get an email saying that brand is on sale or it has 5x points or something like that.

Today I went to my local Ulta store in Williamsburg, VA between work meetings and was having a great time browsing and playing with the makeup. I initially just needed some good mascara but a very nice lady that works there put some eye creams and a tad bit of makeup on me. I was very pleased with the results and she sold me on a mascara/eyeliner duo kit so I set out to put back the other mascaras in my bag (I'm very indecisive), and within seconds I was bombarded every turn I made by employees following me. It was so obvious I knew they thought I was stealing stuff but I just tried to ignore and continue browsing then I heard a young, blonde employee say, "Call Security. They can look at the cameras," and that is when I knew for sure. In my mind I was kind of giggling to overcome how uncomfortable they made me and just headed for the checkout so I could go back to work.

After waiting in a 15-20 min line I was disgusted as there were 2 cashiers and it felt like 8-10 store employees following me around. In hindsight it is really funny how obvious they were when communicating with each other, if I was really a shoplifter I would of been long gone with stuff. I don't feel I need to go on as to why I was profiled but I am a store manager of a store in the vicinity, a married mother of 3 boys, and in my late 30s. Goes to show Ulta does not care about customer service at all. Btw when I got to the checkout I told the guy I left my card in the car and I would be right back. However, I left relieved to be out of there and will never, ever go back to that place that I've spent thousands at.

I joined the reward program and was told that once I'm a platinum member the points I receive will never expire, I was also told if I didn't use them and let them grow I would have greater benefit. I gathered 2,159 points/$128.00 credit, I had health issues and didn't show anywhere for sometime. Finally better I go there to shop and find that I am no longer a Platinum member and worst no longer have credit. All the times I shopped there to have my points add up, I was never told they expire, I received emails a couple times a week and they never had it in the subject line points expire. Yesterday I looked at my old emails and in the middle of the advertising in small light print it did state they expire soon. I find the promoting of shopping there to gain points, putting off using them to gain more benefit misleading and fraudulent.

I live 45 minutes away from my nearest Ulta. A coupon came in the mail while I was busy spending nearly $300 at Ulta (I am a platinum member--for now). Upon returning home and finding the coupon in my mail, I called to get the couple on applied to my day's purchase (20% off entire purchase) and was told I needed to bring everything back into the store for re-scanning.

Even after confirming they knew my entire purchase, my credit card information, etc. I was told they could not do anything over the phone. I called the headquarters and they said also said they had all my information but I would have to travel to the store (45 minutes away and I am leaving in 2 days on Christmas vacation) to be able to apply the coupon. They could not give store credit, rewards points, nothing. The answer was basically the computer system is not designed to accept a coupon over the phone. So folks, even as a platinum member, don't expect anything special. They can't even design a computer system to accept coupon codes over the telephone!

During Thanksgiving and Black Friday, Ulta advertised a Free 12 Piece Gift with $50 purchase. I spent over $50 and placed an online order. I received an email confirming order, but it was incorrect. I was charged an incorrect price for an item and the order did not include the Free 12 Piece Gift. I immediately called Ulta. I was told they could not remedy the order and could not cancel it either. After 4 additional phone calls to Ulta, I demanded to speak with a supervisor and after being put on hold, finally spoke with one, who assured me the order would be cancelled. OK thanks? Only it WAS NOT cancelled. I was charged and the order was delivered. Now I have to spend my time returning it to the store.

The same day I was told the order would be cancelled, I placed another order to receive my requested items and free gift. 9 days later, I still hadn't received the order so I placed a call to Ulta again. The rep informed me that my order was shipped to me, but for some unknown reason returned to Ulta. He didn't know why this happened. But he was happy to tell me I would get a full refund. So I asked him a few questions: "Why wasn't I notified?" "Why wasn't I issued a refund when Ulta received the returned order?" Unfortunately, I was given no answers to my questions. It seems I wouldn't haven't been issued a refund if I hadn't addressed the problem and contacted Ulta. I honestly don't know if these issues happened due to incompetence or downright deception. Not good either way. Maybe not the best company to deal with.

Today, I walked in Ulta Beauty with my daughter and husband in pursuit of fragrance from sales book (Marc Jacob Daisies). As we entered, an ** security guard was standing near the entrance by fragrance section. Every single step I took she (the security guard) measured the same, like liquid. After it was noticeably obvious I walked out. Few steps to my car and I made a u-turn back to the store to voice my discomfort and ran across a sales associate. She was great and I know she understood my discomfort but no one else (upper management) was concerned; even when I called the store. I'm sure it was the sales associate that was chatting with security!!!

I have an understanding of why but not why I was profiled. I usually shop here on-line ONLY with an exception of 3 times within the last 1 but I'm loyal enough that I receive sales books every month. I usually get hair products but at this point I think I'll consider going to JC Penney... It's the same brand of products for less. I'll also be canceling my monthly sales book too.

I went for the 2016 Cyber Monday deal that says you get a 19 piece gift plus cosmetic bag if you spend $75.00. I added this to my order. When I received receipt of the order, the gift was missing from the order. I called customer service and they said they ran out and that they had limited quantities. I said I purchased the required $75.00 and if they could not deliver that I would like to cancel my order. They said they cannot cancel once the order is made. Terrible Customer Service. They offered no help and was rude.

Two weeks ago, I purchased hair products and I saw something new so I spritzed it to see texture of this spray. I got a look from some 20 yr old and guess what - she was the checkout girl. She thought she was the most wonderful thing on earth by attitude and as checked out she made a loud comment that she had to damage this spray because their products are not testers. I looked at her as I was shocked to have her say something to me that was so overbearing and loud so others heard. I was furious as I said to her "so your policy is to buy product and bring back".

I called CS and told them what I thought of her treatment. They said the district manager would call me. Well, I got a really lame email from the manager, she is just as bad. Today I went in and I saw the same snotty cashier, the next snot checked me out and gave me such attitude cause the other one must have told her that I was the one who complained. I wanted to return a bad product and with no receipt. I was to get $3. Are you kidding? This store is crazy. They made me call CS to get the receipt. I told them again that I will never go in there again. They really list a platinum customer.

My first experience with the Anderson, S.C. store was not bad until I seen their prices, yes I was blown away & then to have the girl tell me I can't get friendly service anywhere else!! REALLY? Well sorry but I won't be back because when I see prices that are $4 more than Wal-mart & $15 more than JC Penney sells for, it just hit me the wrong way & this was just on a few products. They were even higher than Bath & Body Works & Bed, Bath, and Beyond products... sorry but though the store was nice, no one was there to welcome me in or to ask was there something they could help me find so I rambled and finally asked for help. I'm not a tight wad but I do have to watch my budget and if you have money to throw away then it's the best place to buy your products, I myself will make better choices.

I am very upset, I have shopped at Ulta for years. Since I have lived in Reno Nv and until now since I lived in Ohio. I was at the Ulta in Bridgewater Falls. My mom was up front asking how to pay her bill while I was in the back speaking to another associate about a Too Faced product. The Associate up front that my mom asked for help came back and made fun of my mom to the associate that I was speaking to. How can you ** people treat minorities with disrespect. Of course my mom thought she can pay the bill at the store and she doesn't speak English well. I do not appreciate the associate doing that. I have spent a lot of money there. I will not be shopping here anymore because your company allows people to make fun of minorities. I will be shopping at Sephora from now on.

I am a new Ulta shopper. The first time I went it was in the new store that just opened in the Downey promenade. The service was very friendly and helpful. The girls in the store would walk around and fix anything that looked out of place and if anyone walked in, they made them feel welcomed. But today I walk into a second Ulta store, this time in Compton and omg! The worst! Everything was a mess. The place looked dirty and even the personnel. I asked a girl that worked there where the Anastasia section was and she just pointed somewhere and mumbled something that I didn't understand. So I went off and found it myself. She then walks by again and I ask her where a brush is at and again she just points. Ugh I was very annoyed. This store seriously needs help and to be better supervised from their corporation. Don't go to the store in compton.

I submitted a large order with Ulta several weeks ago. I immediately received an email with my delivery information (next week, yeah). Then suddenly their delivery confirmation link is broken and no information is forthcoming. Fast forward 3 weeks. I have part of my order and after 8 (no exaggeration, I kept them all) emails, they are willing to send more of my order but tell me that the last item is out of stock. They are offering me a $15 gift card in exchange for the $75 item. CROOKS!

I bought a hair tool for $30.00, did not like it. Went to return it and could not find my receipt. I never asked for cash back and said a store credit would be fine, they offered me 63 cents!!! WORST COMPANY EVER! Plus the same tool on Amazon half price. I will never step foot in this store ever again. Amazon is the best.

I'm a regular at ulta. I buy everything from my makeup to my hair care, skin care, fragrances for me and my husband. I've been to this location numerous times. Plenty of times when I needed assistance but was, not only, not offered any, but brushed off and told they didn't know the answer to my question w/ no intent to research. All of this was not the problem. I let that slide and just made sure to do my own research via Internet. Along w/ the first time this particular incident occurred, I just thought there could have been a circumstance I was knowledgeable to, but this incident occurred today again and this time way extremely uncomfortable and I felt really bad for my husband. The lady politely asked my husband if she could help him and he told her he was just smelling the Cologne. Easy enough. Then a 2nd lady came over and asked w/in the same minute. Now a 3rd and security enters the store.

My husband turned to me and said "do I look like a criminal." I tried to comforted him by telling him wives probably can't ever get their husbands to come inside Ulta w/ them and the tattoos probably don't help. Now one of the ladies is following us throughout the store making sure she was watching everything we touched and going behind us fixing it. I decided to not purchase my husband's dolce and Gabbana light blue because they made him feel so insecure. So we are standing in line and the lady at the checkout counter offers to check out a lady who is behind the rope not even in line properly like we were. So we get all sorts of attention until we need help. My purchase was only $50 sum dollars today because I never felt more uncomfortable and unwelcome (rushed basically).

As soon as I pulled out my bank card from my wallet - she clearly saw I had plenty of cash and wanted her to realize we had a bank account as well. At the exact moment she radio-ed on her headset "confirmed." I looked up and the security walked out but still stayed near the front door. It's one thing to feel threatened or nervous. Profiling is a thing and certain looks can cause uneasiness in others, but these woman were not concerned. They were down right rude and acted as if we were not of means to be in their store. Sadly I will not be returning to a store I love because I won't tolerate anyone making my husband feel bad like that. I've included a picture of us so you can get an idea as to maybe why my husband is profiled in this store and this store only.

I had exactly the same experience like many other customers- no matter what type of payment I used I wasn't able to complete my order. I called the customer service and got no help. The same problem happened twice and again I called the customer service hoping this time I will get some help. They advised me to create a new account, enter my order as a guest and still after wasting all the time I got no result. I called back and the customer service rep told me to reply to her and she will pass on my problem to be solved. Few days later I received an email back. Besides the point that my name was spelled with a small letter they told me they don't want me shopping online. I will have no problem shopping online with any retailer and Ulta lost me as a customer. Thank you Ulta for helping me to keep my money, as I will no longer shop with you!

My 1st time in this store in Holland, Oh and the very last purchase ever in a Ulta store. I made a purchase and mind you it was not a lot of money, but $76.12 is a decent amount for beauty products. I get up to the register and everything is going fine, up until after I swiped my bank card (debit). I swiped the card and as I did that the register froze. I told the lady it cleared on my side and she swears it did not on her side, thus she rang it again, after promising it only took the money from my account once.

Well needless to say, it took it twice and now I have had to call customer service every day to get my money returned, and it's been impossible to get my money back. It's been 5 days since purchase, and all I keep getting is "the finance dept is working on it"! Seriously, this is ridiculous. I can show them my bank account and everything, give them the times it took it twice, but no, just keep getting the run around. Other dept stores will refund right there on the spot when you can show proof. What is it with ULTA?? I have called 4 times and keep getting the same crap.

The coupons have become a hassle! There are so many items you cannot use the coupon on. The manager is always rude at the Store on Rock Road/East Side. I will just go to Sephora where they are more professional!

I visited the store in Ocala, Fl today, #329, to purchase a few items. When I approached the cash registers there was a line of customers waiting while one sales rep checking people out. Meanwhile at the end of the counter three sales people were standing around a register talking. Hello, we're over here waiting to be helped! After I was finally helped and started for the door I stopped by the three ladies and said, "Excuse me but you're standing around visiting while there are customers to be helped. Doesn't look good."

One girl said, "Oh I don't work here." And the other one said, "We weren't visiting, we were trying to fix this machine and she's the manager" speaking about the one that walked away to start helping check out. "Don't you think it would be wise to help your customers first and fix your equipment later." I don't need to shop there anymore. I can buy my products elsewhere. I would tell them to stop sending me coupons but can't get ahold of anyone at corporate either. They must be fixing their machines too!

I am really surprised by all the low reviews, but then again people usually only write reviews to complain about a bad experience. I've been shopping at Ulta since 2009, from in-store to online. I have had issues with online orders coming wrong or missing part of my order; however, I email customer service or go in store and the sales associate or customer service agent is always helpful and resolves my issue. Of course, it's an inconvenience but I do understand mistakes happen and a company doesn't want errors either. I've never had a rude associate or customer service agent. The store offers a very large variety of products and services which I love. I really enjoy the rewards program they have and the coupons that they put out every so often. The shipping isn't bad, about 5-7 days and my packages usually come in 3-5 days.

I visited Ulta Beauty in Ann Arbor, MI Arborland. Before purchasing an item, I inquired about the return policy. The salesperson said that I had to become a member to return an item. However, my receipt had the return policy on the back and it stated that I did not have to be a member. When I clarified with salesperson, she accused ME of being angry. She and her manager proceeded to tell me that I was not interpreting the written policy properly and I told them they were talking to me as if I was stupid. I was then invited to never return to the store. I could not believe it was happening. These ladies appeared to have been trained to lie about the policy and did not like being called on it because I actually read the receipt.

I'm honestly really surprised about the bad reviews on this site. A lot of people don't read fine print. The $3.50 off coupons are only valid when "x" amount is spent on drugstore brands in the store. Prestige brands rarely get discounted because it's at the manufacturer's discretion which is rare and usually end of a season 1x or 2x a year when they are making room for new products. The free gifts are also only valid when you spend "x" amount on a particular brand. It doesn't matter if you spend $100 on all different brands. It's helpful to sign up for emails to be alerted of sales, and mailings to get the magazine for the upcoming month with the promotions listed. Those will tell you if you spend "x" amount on "x" brand you will get a free gift.

Also, when the free gifts with purchase come out it's good to be the informed buyer because the associates are typically dealing with at least 10-15 different gifts with purchase for different amounts, and with different brands at any given time and they aren't alerted on their computer automatically. Also, they have a lot going on so don't call Ulta's to have them be your personal shopper for you, but if you're looking for something specific (an item, a color, etc) CALL ahead and have them put aside for you. It's helpful to know what days they get shipments, and they sometimes only get a couple of one item each shipment so don't be surprised it's gone if you didn't do the legwork to have it pulled until the end of the day when you can make it in. Gifts also go extremely fast, so call about that and plan on driving there immediately if it's important enough to you.

Those are at the cost of the company, so they don't have endless supply. If you are a nice customer, and it varies greatly...but sometimes if you're a dollar or 2 away from getting the gift with purchase they may give it to you anyway but that's at their own discretion. Also, if you can't get the gift in store, sometimes they'll still be available online so order there instead. If you get a free gift with any purchase coupon, again - if you're nice, and not belligerent sometimes the store (again, it varies) will give you an alternate gift. You could always hold on to that gift, not use it...and if they say they haven't received it yet, they aren't lying. Sometimes these shipments are late, hold on to it, and keep calling to see if and when they have it in and exchange it if you are not pleased. Accidental charges? I'm platinum for 2 years, that's how much I spend at Ulta.

Personally, it's never once happened to me, and I've been to multiple stores, and ordered online several times...but I would go right to corporate, and save myself a few days. No middle man. You'd be surprised how many customers act like cosmetics are drugs, and they need their fix. You'd be surprised what the associates actually have to deal with. Frauds, screaming/yelling, and every time you don't use your rewards account, or sign up that's an X on that associates book. Sometimes I have had the occasional "unhelpful" associate, the "unaware" associate, or the "a little less than friendly" associate but no more at this business than any other. Same with the events they have you don't sign up for, etc. Be kinder to customer service associates, and you'll probably see less turnover, more knowledgeable associates who are up to pace, friendlier associates. You attract more bees with honey, than vinegar! ;)

Ulta Beauty Company Profile