1.34/5
Based on 74 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ulta.com

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 20, 2018

242 Ulta Beauty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I bought a three item package face cream deal online, also had bought 1 bottle of face cream in store to try. After using the package deal I found two of the items were not what I wanted. The day cream (even though I did not put near my eyes) irritated my eyes, and the serum after using on face started to flake off even under makeup. I did use all the night cream thinking it would do what it said it was designed to do, but it did not. I took everything back to Ulta store, I had a receipt for the item I bought at store but not for the online purchase but did have my credit card bill showing I bought the package deal. They gave me the money back for my store purchase (it was not opened) but said since I used more than 10% of the night face cream they would not reimburse me for my package deal. I asked how would I be able to know if the product worked or not as it said it would take two to three weeks to see results, they said that was their rules.

As far as the other products in the package deal they could not do anything on those either, even though they sell these items separately in the store same size etc. I don't understand how you can only use 10% of an item to know if it is going to work. I think this rule is strange as it isn't like eating a bag of potato chips and saying I did not like them but ate the whole bag, this is something that has to be used for a while to determine if it will work. Reading other reviews I see Ulta's return policy is not a very good one, so beware if you are not sure you like the product and may need to return go to another store. I know I will.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I enjoy beauty products. I buy enough to qualify for platinum status. A likely place to purchase beauty products is Ulta. Unfortunately, my experience with them is frustrating. The shelves are not properly stocked. They are out of many products most any time you enter the store. The check out line is long and requires extra time to stand in line because there is never enough cashiers. Yet...on the high end makeup side there are plenty of employees roaming the floors stalking customers. Why these people can't operate a cash register is beyond my comprehension. I have found that there might be more product "in the back" if you ask. Why can't the product be stocked on the empty shelves? It's a mystery.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Went to Ulta Salon in Aurora Co Southlands. Christy did my hair and I wanted blond highlights. My hair is naturally brown but had blond highlights. I spent almost 4 hours there and walked out with super icy blond hair with my dark roots untouched and gray hair. I had even showed her a picture of I wanted. It was not even close. Called and had Dee the salon manager to fix my hair. I weren’t back 4 days later and spent another 3 hours there trying to get fixed. I walked out with silver ends and copper colored roots. How does this happens?

She was supposed to call me today and no call. I had to call her and she told me to come back on the do a color reverse on my hair to get that icy white back. What about my copper orange roots??? I’m taking this to corporate as I want my money back of $ 195 mess! Oh and one more thing I’m getting married 90 Days! Thanks Ulta for taking my money and ruining my hair! Attached are pics of what I wanted and asked for and what I have now!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I was sent an open bottle of nail polish which spilled onto everything I ordered. Customer service repeatedly kept insisting "damage during shipping happens". The package was in perfect condition. The nail polish was packed up in bubble wrap with the other items already unscrewed. After calling customer service/emailing repeatedly the only options they will give me is to replace the open bottle of nail polish. Never mind the other items covered in polish. Also, whether I get a replacement or not, I still have to print a label, package it up, bring it to a shipper, Or take a train ride out to the store hours away to return the opened one. I should not have to be inconvenienced for improperly shipped items or be stuck with other items covered in nail polish. Worst customer service ever! I would not recommend ordering from Ulta.com. It was clearly their fault and they will do nothing about it to not inconvenience me.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

I ordered 3 tubes of Benefit POREfessional. They are expensive - about $50 each. I hate to spend that much money at one time but they usually have this larger size available only at this time of year. It saves me quite a bit so I buy 3 tubes to last me the year. This year I did it online. $159. Ouch!!! When I received the box there was only 1 inside plus a free sample!! I called them the minute I opened it. They said they had no way to prove I was telling the truth. True. They don't. I can call PayPal which I will but now I'm getting concerned about ordering online. I will definitely NEVER order from them again. They should have someone double checking the completed orders or some way of verifying what they ship. I now have to pay for their mistake. I hope PayPal can help me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ulta Beauty?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I placed an online order with Ulta using 2000 of my Ulta points & Ulta credit card... something I've done a dozen times before. The system would not let my purchase go through, however. After giving up, I came to realize that I had 2 charges on my credit card. One for the amount using my points and one for the full amount not using my points. However, there was no purchase order. I called customer service and they said they are working on the refund of the two charges and will put in a trouble ticket about the missing order.

I received a mail from an Ulta Beauty Guest Services rep in response to the trouble ticket that indicated they revoked my ability to place an order online because supposedly I've gone against their terms and conditions. They advised they cannot accept orders outside of the US. I'm in the US! I've ordered from them a dozen times before to my US address! I followed up to advise they're mistaken and I was then told that they have "limited visibility on which term is restricting [my] order" and that I still can no longer place online orders with them. If they cannot confirm the term restricting my access, then how can they say it's my fault, by way of no longer permitting me to place online orders? Anyway, terrible experience. I responded saying they lost a customer.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I don't even want to give them 1 star, but in order for me to leave a review I have to. I placed an order with this company, it was supposedly delivered to my residence. I don't have the package, I checked with local neighbors and post office. I first contacted the company to get a refund back to my original method of payment. They replied back I was going to get a gift card, I don't think it's their business to choose how to refund me. I then contacted the company and spoke with Lucia and a supervisor by the name of Christine ** - the both of them have terrible attitudes. Christine replied back "well mam it says delivered on our end so if you didn't get it this is our apology by providing a gift card." I didn't want a gift card. I purchased what I needed from somewhere else but she didn't care to hear that. She went right over me and said, "I'm not refunding you." Worst company ever!!! I would never buy from them. Customer service sucks.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I have been going to my Queens salon for 14 years but my colorist went to Miami on vacation. My hair was have GRAYS coming out of nowhere, anyways I pass by the Ulta salon in Bay Plaza in the BX. I kind of hesitated a little and should’ve went with my instincts not to go in. But I was presented to hair stylist - MELISSA, I clearly in English explained to her with my husband right by me that I wanted honey gold highlights with a caramel-honey roots. Even showed her pictures on my phone of the color I’ve been getting for 19 years. She stated "she can do that color." My hair is horrible. It's DARK BROWN, MELISSA the hair stylist was busy doing 2 sisters' hairs while doing my hair and was rushing my hair. Left me in the dryer for 43 minutes with rollers so she can attend to the 2 sisters then she really did not blow out my hair like a stylist suppose to do.

I left the salon paid my $131.24 and CRYING and cried towards my husband. He notice the darkness in my hair and was horribly shocked that I looked sad, dark and not ME. I never had a salon experience like this. I RECOMMEND FOR NO ONE TO GO TO ULTA IN BAY PLAZA, they are not colorists. My experience was the worst. I just wanted blonde highlights like I always get in my Queens salon.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

I went three times to try to get my original haircut from Ulta fixed. Each time it got worse. I had an appointment with the manager for highlights and she was a no show. Instead, another incompetent "hairdresser" gave me the worse highlights I have ever gotten in 40 years. Then charged me $275!! She never turned me around to view the back but needless to say, horrible mess. No way would I go back ever again. I lost over 8 inches of hair and spent a total of almost $400. The photo #1 below is the "before" handiwork of Ulta Salon. I finally gave up and went to a REAL PROFESSIONAL at a QUALITY SALON.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I ordered a hairdryer online from Ulta Beauty. It was to be delivered YESTERDAY. It was NOT. I have tried via phoning and emailing their Customer Service links to find out what has become of my hairdryer. The phone line rings a BUSY SIGNAL CONSTANTLY for four hours until I have given up. The email contact leads only to a long list of questions to click to find the answer, NONE of which pertain to my question. I will NEVER order anything from ULTA BEAUTY online. In fact, I will call my credit card company to cancel the order as I am worried that the whole online business is a scam. Nearly all the reviews I have read are terrible.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I made a purchase at Ulta.com online. When I entered my Mastercard number for the sale, the site automatically issued me an Ulta (Comenity Capital Bank) credit card and charged the purchase to the new card. I only found this out when the bill came along with a 27% interest account. I think Mastercard allowed them access to the information necessary to open a new card. According the helpwithmybank.gov website a card cannot be issued without written or verbal request.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

It is a really long story.... but to summarize they have extreme poor customer service over the phone and thus far worst customer service experience I've had!!! After speaking to about 5 different customer service reps on the phone I finally had someone that was aware about the 20% off discount I was entitled to by a promotion they had advertised on their online site everywhere. I was told I was going to receive an email. Never received it. Called again. Expressed my concern. Then got the email stating once I received product I would get refunded the 20% off coupon. Fine. That works then received a 10 e-gift for the inconvenience.

Then, received shipment from Ulta (product was NOT IN THE BOX) $97 worth but the free robe was in the box. :) ??? Smh. So then I called and they said there is nothing they could do and I had to dispute it with my bank... so after being extremely frustrated and no words left. I said okay well am I getting my 20% refunded... I received and have proof of that email stating all of that.. rep said, "No unfortunately we cannot do that but, we can send you an e-gift card of $10." I had to repurchase the item from them because it was a Christmas gift and this was 3 days before Christmas. Left with no choice. My bank has yet confirmed with me if they're going to dispute it or not. The e-gift helped to freaking repurchase the item. That's it. Ulta very disappointed. Please train your employees. It's a total shame. Never want to go back!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

I went into the Golf Mill Ulta to exchange a Christmas gift. I was right in back of a ** woman also returning multiple items without a receipt. She was able to return her items and they even asked her if it was ok that they gave her a gift card for her return, she replied yes and off she went. When I tried exchanging an item without a receipt and had no beauty rewards number. I was treated as if I stole the items! The cashier asked me if I used them. I told her no. She then proceeded to open the items looking to see if I was lying.

Why ask me if you are going to open the products in front of me? That implies you do not trust me and that I am lying!!! I was so humiliated. I look over my shoulder and there were at least 20 or so people in line in back of me. I finally received a store card but at what cost. Ulta teach your employees to treat all customers with respect regardless of their ethnicity. I HAVE NEVER FELT SO HUMILIATED AND DISRESPECTED IN MY LIFE!!! I WILL NEVER EVER SHOP AT ANY ULTA BECAUSE OF THIS ONE STORE!!! If I could give them zero stars I would!!!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

On December 12th I ordered a skin cleansing system that was to be a Birthday/Christmas Gift for a relative. The order was cancelled and my niece never received the product. When I called customer service I was told "There doesn't seem to be a reason as to why it was cancelled." Then I was told "I'm sorry." Had she said, “We have them now in stock and I can give you an accommodation” then I might have been a satisfied customer. I will never shop at this store for sure, they have terrible customer service both online and in their stores.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

After today I’m not sure I will ever shop at Ulta again. I received an item as a gift. I did not have the receipt and as I went to exchange it I got looked at like I was a criminal. The girl gave me a hard time and then finally called the manager. She returned it for me and gave me a gift card for the lowest price. I accepted all of that. And when I came back up to check out I got the look again. I don’t see what the big deal is if I return one item in my whole 10 years of shopping there without a receipt. This leaves a very bad taste in my mouth for an overpriced store.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

I've been platinum for 7 years. Order over $2000 yearly. I ordered on sale concealer $15. Received wrong color. Called customer service and they reshipped the correct color. I received a huge box for a tiny concealer and only thing in box was paper. No concealer. I called customer service and was refunded $15. Then blocked! They screwed up. And I'm blocked?? I'm almost 50 years old. I don't need to scam for a cheap concealer. If I order $2000+ a year why would I pick a $15 concealer if I'm a scammer? Ridiculous. Customer service is very rude and won't help.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I ordered 6 items from Ulta online for Christmas. After opening the package All my items were damaged in some way. The cap on bottle of shampoo was broken and it got all over everything. Also every item that came in a box was ripped in the corners. I called customer service and they told me I have 2 options. I can go to the store and exchange them. (Only problem with that is the reason I shopped online was because the items were not in the store.) Or I can return them but it would take 30 days to replace. Christmas is in 4 days. They did nothing to help me. Worst experience I've ever had shopping online.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

After placing an order online, the package was damaged during shipping and had to be re-shipped. One item was on sale and couldn't be replaced due to it being "out of stock”. I requested that it be replaced with a comparable item, as a $3 refunded gift card would not allow me to purchase anything on their site. If the packing of their boxes is not consistent and allows for package damage, the responsible party should replace any purchased item, sale or not. Now I have to spend more money to use the gift card they so wonderfully supplied me with. Sadly Ulta will never see that $3 and nor will I, due to my never wanting to patronize this establishment ever again!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

Well, it looks like I am not the only customer to be disappointed in the online ordering experience. My package was also lost, because Ulta shipped my package to California instead of Michigan. When calling customer service, they actually told me that they can't refund until the package is delivered. At this point I lost it, and had to reiterate that UPS has "LOST" the package so it will not be delivered. Very disappointing - they said they will issue a store credit - no refund. It's been 24 hours and still haven't seen the credit arrive in my inbox. I'm not confident I will ever get it.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

I’m a frequent shopper at Ulta and a platinum member. I ordered over $75 of product on Cyber Monday at 9:00am to get the free $95 gift bag with purchase and in my confirmation email they said shipping would be delayed which was expected due to the large amount of orders coming in that day. So the last expected shipping date comes and goes and I end up getting my package on 12/10 when they said I would receive it between 11/30 and 12/6. So I get my package and there is no gift bag and I check my order online and they took it off of my order. I call Ulta to see what happened and they say that it was never on my order. Uhhh what? Excuse me? I find the email with confirmation that it is included with my order and the girl tells me, "Well there’s nothing we can do about it now because we’re out of stock."

I’m obviously upset about it so she says her manager offered a $10 gift certificate. I got pissed because I was supposed to get a $95 value and instead I’m getting $10. I told her I was going to return all of my items and never shop there again and she offered me $15 which she promised would be in my email inbox within 24 hours. That was at 6:00pm yesterday and it’s 8:00pm now. You would think that as one of the largest makeup chains in the country Ulta would have prepared to ship items on time, have enough gifts with purchase to last past 9am and at least notify their customers that their $95 gift bags are out of stock. I advise all of you to be cautious when purchasing items from them because Ulta does not care for their customers whatsoever.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I ordered 100$ worth of makeup, I bought all this due to the fact I was going to get free samples and other stuff... All of a sudden my make up disappears!!! 2 weeks and no package has been delivered! I'm super upset because I always shop at Ulta, like at least 2x a month I purchase make up there & then this happens... When I was so excited for this package!!! It just make me so mad.. How can my package be lost. I don't understand...

Resolution response: Dec. 19, 2017

Ulta helped me resolve the issue in a timely manner. The customer service team was friendly despite my multiple very angry emails.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I purchased several items on Cyber Monday simply because Ulta had the best deals. They were offering a ton of giveaways with a purchase (no actual discount from the product), but the giveaways took the place of a monetary discount. The package has been in transit for 2 weeks, it made it to my city and then just disappeared. Ulta's solution was to re-ship my package (another week of waiting) and remove ALL of the free gifts because they were out of stock. So in the end I'm paying full price, the same I would in store, to wait 3 weeks. I missed out on better Cyber Monday deals because I chose to shop at Ulta. Absolutely ridiculous. Now I have to deal with the entire return process. I feel like I've been scammed out of my money - will never shop online or in store for the matter - ever again. Wish I could give 0 stars.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

Just ordered a Black Friday special that included a free make-up bag full of samples. The bag arrived with my other purchased items and inside one of the shampoo bottles had exploded and ruined almost everything inside. The shampoo also got onto some of my packaging of other gift items but not being a high maintenance anal shopper I didn't bother to complain about that. I reported it thinking they would just send me a replacement but no, they said that since it's no longer in stock I'm basically S.O.L. Because there's nothing else remotely similar and they don't have a million samples they could reship? I really wish I knew how shady they were before this but won't be ordering anything else.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Buying online is awful!!! First delivery takes forever!!! THEY LOST MY PACKAGE AND CALLING ULTA IS WORTH NOTHING. Do not buy over $60 online or they are not going to respond, they do not send you the things again (just to make it better). THEY DON'T SOLVE ANYTHING! AWFUL!!!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

Went to your store on December 4, 2017 at 6:30 in the evening. Place was busy but no employees to be found. I’m a male and shopping for my wife there several times and spend a lot of money at your stores. Me and my son we’re trying to get in touch with one of the girls. Her name was Nicole at the makeup area and she was talking with her three friends. It took us setting off an alarm to get her attention and then she proceeded to help us. Will not go back to your store anymore. We will be shopping at Sephora from now on. Lost a loyal customer that likes to spend a lot of money there.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I had made an awesome deal purchase during 2017 Thanksgiving sale. Ordered two of the same makeup on the go 96 piece kit for the offer price along with few other items. I was tracking it almost everyday as I was very excited on receiving them and had planned to gift them to close ones. While the other items processed within 10 days, the two makeup kit status changed from processing > Out of Stock and then in few days I just did not see them in my order anymore, they were off my order. If I had to send this to someone as a gift and not keep tracking the contents- I wouldn't even know what was being shipped. The total order amount was shown pending all throughout so I kept hoping-all the order items reach. Only once I received the parcel today the amount only for the partial shipped item price was deducted.

When I called ULTA customer care-what they had to say is, 'Keep tracking if that item is back in stock and then wait for the right price and purchase then or go and check in your local store if they have the item with the same price'. When I made the purchase online offer, why would I go to local stores here and check? If the product was out of stock, I should have got an alert or some information on the same so that I could at least look elsewhere for the same offers and products during the sale week. I waited almost 10 days for this and today got the partial shipment done which is now my complete order.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I came in to the ULTA Salon in East Brunswick NJ to get a ash blonde balayage on my dark brown hair. Let me just start off with my stylist, Jen being very rude and unprofessional. She took a walk-in while doing my hair and went back and forth between us both. She offered the other girl water or anything to drink and didn’t even pay me any attention. I then showed Jen a reference picture and she very quickly glanced at it. She began to bleach each strand... obviously not long enough since it came out ORANGE/RED.

I went back two days after to get it fixed because I didn’t like the color and she was completely rude. Saying that she couldnt do anything else besides toning it, afterwards I went home still displeased and waited another day and decided to go back and have her bleach it to the color I wanted it to be. I walked in with her still being extremely RUDE. I asked to speak to a manager... she said the salon at this location doesn’t have a manager... what???

She began to look at my hair and suggested that I make another appointment because my hair ”cannot lift to the color I wanted in one session” which basically means “give me another $150 so I can actually do what I’m supposed to do the first time.” I have gotten my hair balayaged once before and the stylist I went to was able to go lighter than the picture I showed Jen IN ONLY ONE SITTING!!!! So I knew that was complete bs. In the end, ULTA salon just wants your money and they’re very lazy.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

On November 25th, I made a purchase with them for the Black Friday sales. They cancelled my order the next day after the sales were over, and when I called all they would tell me was 'you can shop in store'. When I asked for clarification of what that meant, they wouldn't tell me, but insinuated I had been banned from online shopping. They told me that they would honour the discount if I wasn't in fact banned, but would get back to me. I made another order to test if I was banned or not, as per their suggestion, and lo and behold my non discounted order did indeed ship! Then, they emailed me saying that they would not honour the discount because I have in fact been banned from online shopping and would only be able to shop in stores.

Which is it Ulta, banned or not, because it seems to me like you wrote that email after so you wouldn't have to hold up your end of the agreement to give me the discount code for your system error which cancelled my first order.When further asked about why I was banned, I was told I violated the terms and agreements which they could not tell me which one, only that in their terms and agreements they can cancel a person's account at any time for no reason. That isn't the same as violating them, as I read through them page by page and I do not do excessive returns (I haven't returned anything in ages), I do not resell (I only buy one of each item), and I do not harass or use bad language for reviews since I have not done a single review!

Their other reason was perhaps it is because I look at their page from abroad. Well, Ulta, you offer shipping to AE addresses, which stands for Armed Forces Europe, so I don't know why you would offer shipping to a place where I am not allowed to access the site from. I am a platinum member, I spend a lot of money at Ulta and have always had good experiences. This seems to me like they just didn't want to look into the case and so it was easier to ban me. This is a very disappointing experience and unless they offer a good reason as to why I was banned, or a logical explanation as to how I could be banned but still purchase items, I will not shop at Ulta again or recommend them to anyone else.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I went in to get my hair highlighted with Lavender Purple. I showed the stylist the picture SIX TIMES and confirmed that’s exactly what my hair would look like. Four hours later she finally turned my chair around so I could see and my WHOLE HEAD is DARK PURPLE. I will NEVER go to Ulta again. I spent $250.00 for something I didn’t want and they aren’t willing to fix it/discount the price. Are you kidding me?!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

Normally, I'm a Sephora girl, a VIB Rouge kind of girl, actually, but if you're a makeup enthusiast, you'll understand why I was wanting to make the switch from Sephora to Ulta. The perks were so enticing! Being that I am addicted to makeup, and I successfully went 10 months without purchasing a single scrap of makeup, I spent $300 at Ulta (discount brought it down to $275), and $150 at Sephora. To keep a long story short, both packages were "delivered" on the front porch while I was home but I never received a single thing! I called up Sephora, and they replaced my whole order with 1 quick fifteen minute phone call. Ulta on the other hand? I've called SEVEN TIMES, and they have sent me everywhere - the police station, UPS, my banking institution, but because my order amount was over $60, they won't even consider replacing a single piece of merchandise.

If you know makeup, you know that $60 worth of "prestige-brand" cosmetics means nothing. That's 1/2 of one of my 15-pan Natasha Denona palettes. For the above reason, I say this: DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY AT ULTA. I let the perks tempt me, and lost $300 to God knows where and the Ulta Beauty corporation is so greedy and cares so little about their customers, I'm frankly astonished. No matter, it's back to Sephora for me - the perks suck, but at least they know how to treat their customers.

Ulta Beauty Company Information

www.ulta.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use