1.32/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 19, 2018

256 Ulta Beauty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 19, 2018

I ordered 180 dollars worth of make up and was suppose to receive a variety sample free. I Received the email with the wrong info so I had to call. Then, I Received my order and no sampler. I called the same day. The customer service rep said they would send me one. It's been 2 weeks, no email, no nothing. I call back, no record of me calling, the girl Aleasha is rude as can be and kept putting me on hold. So nothing gets solved. I call back for the fourth time and the guy tells me they don't resend them. I said, "Resend? You never sent me one and the girl I spoke with said they were sending me one." No record of it.

Needless to say after I was on hold forever he finally came back on and said Rhett were sending it out...14 days. I said Edgar if it's not here, finally I got a reference number so they know what is going on. So, if you ever call customer service...GET THE REFERENCE NUMBER the first time because THE REPS DO NOT DOCUMENT EVERYTHING! I am so disappointed with Ulta. I can't believe I had to call them and it's still not yet resolved! I'm going back to Sephora. So what! I'd rather spend more money for quality service!!

Original review: April 13, 2018

I don’t know why but the Ulta in Clarksville Tennessee is the only one I’ve shopped in where the employees have boulders on their shoulders. They don’t greet you, they don’t ask if you need assistance. I went in for brush cleaner and they had one left, no lid that looked used so I asked an employee if she had any more and her RUDE reply was, “You mean besides the one there”, meaning the one I just described and I said yes and she yanked open a drawer, slammed it shut and said no and walked away, OMG. I had written a complaint and no one ever contacted me because they simply do not care at this location period. Where is the district and regional managers or do they not care either? So I drive to Hopkinsville, KY to their Ulta when I need to because they are more friendly and a bit more helpful.

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 12, 2018

Manager compared me to another incident that happen at the store and was very dismissive. I had to wait almost a week to receive a call back from the region manager who then stated that when I come back to the store he will help me. The next time I am their guest service put me on hold for 24 min just to give me a $20 gift card. I will never be going back. Thanks. Beware of what stores you go to.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I will never again go to Ulta!!! I am sooo beyond sick of those makeup people that want to push their product on you like a old car salesman. I went in for a specific high end foundation. Knew the brand just not the shade I needed. Asked for help and spent 30 min having them try and sell me a different brand I didn't want. Needless to say I walked out with nothing. The makeup professional lol didn't match my color correctly and lost both sales because it's not supposed to feel like a car salesman gimmick. It's supposed to be a place I enjoy going and getting what I want without being talked out of that product because they won't make a commission. This is poor business and I wouldn't recommend this place. I've been there several times. Same Experience. Please just hire people to work at Ulta not to push products. This just sucks.

Original review: April 6, 2018

Glendale Atlas Mall Manager - Tried to exchange foundation for another color. Had wrong receipt with me, but had gift card I purchased it with. The manager, a young woman, refused to even try to look up the gift card #. She was rude and condescending, brushed me off and walked away. One of the customers online commented, "Wow, is she on a power trip". All I wanted was an even exchange of an unopened sealed item. I have 4 daughters and 7 granddaughters that I have purchased many gift cards for from Ulta. Not anymore.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ulta Beauty?

Original review: April 2, 2018

Almost every time I have emailed Ulta I have been brushed off with some simple idiotic response. They do not honor ANYTHING and swear up and down by their policies but do not uphold their end. Apparently you have a 2 hour window to cancel but this is absolutely false. If you place an order you can GUARANTEE your order will be processed. I cannot stand their BS responses when I work for a cosmetics company and we honor cancellations and modifications up until an order has been shipped. Even after an order has been shipped there is a possibility the order is still in house. We connect with our warehouse department and if possible we will retrieve a shipment! Ulta, you are not fooling anyone. Stick with Sephora people!

Original review: March 26, 2018

I am amazed that a company such as ULTA cannot cancel an order a few minutes after it was made. I made an order online 3/20/2018 at 7:24 pm and cancelled it on 3/20/2018 at 7:37 pm, that’s 13 minutes later!!! They stated that the order had been processed! How completely untrue and unacceptable customer service. I cancelled the order because I found that the 0.8 oz perfume I had ordered from them for $84 was being sold in other places for $54 or less. They have lost a potential good customer in me. Make sure you check the prices in other places before ordering from them, it turns they are very expensive and refuse to cancel anything.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I am a platinum member no more. I am sick and tired of their false advertising! Every time I have gone to the Gresham store they do not have the advertised items! Every time. This last time was the 1st day of their sale. I get there and not only did they not have the advertised item, I bought a different one to get the ADVERTISED free gift. As usual, no gift. Excuse? This time it was "our location doesn't have it". This is one of their busiest stores and I have never received 1 gift they have ever advertised. Sick of it! Quit advertising items & gifts you do not honor! After last week's controversy on re-packaging and selling returned items you'd think they be on guard not to piss another customer off! I'm done with Ulta.

Original review: March 18, 2018

The biggest problem with my family’s experience is that the stylist was trying to juggle too many customers at one time, so everyone got poor service. My last shampoo and haircut took more than 2 hours because she kept stopping to handle other clients. Today my husband went for a cut, conditioning treatment and style. We were there from 1 pm until almost 4, but worse than that, whatever products she used burned his scalp. She sprayed a neutralizer near his front hairline, left him under a dryer while she took care of other clients and by the time she came back, he said it felt like his scalp was on fire. She left him sitting in front of the rinsing sink for about 30 minutes while she styled another client's hair.

When he continued to complain about the burning, another stylist rinsed his hair and put something on his scalp that temporarily relieved the burning. But during the long wait for the original stylist to come back, the burning got worse again. She sent us out saying she put something on his hair to enhance his natural curl and to just “give it time to do its thing.”

After we got home the burning was so bad he had to wash whatever it was out. Still, his scalp was burning. I put an ice pack on it and called to ask what we should do. One girl who answered knew nothing other than to tell us to go see a doctor. I called back and spoke with a manager who investigated and after consulting with the manager of another store, advised me that it must be a reaction and that other clients had complained of the same problem. She told me to come back to the store and she would give me a product at no charge that should help. Well, there definitely should have been no charge; she gave me a styrofoam cup, half-filled with a white hoop, wrapped with Saran Wrap. We will NEVER go to this salon again! If I could give them negative zero stars!

Original review: March 16, 2018

My wife was very happy and surprised that I got her the Life’s A Festival eyeshadow palette all the thanks to Steffany (Ulta Beauty Brandon Town Center). She’s very thoughtful and very kind. She’s amazing. If I had five arms I would give her 5 thumbs up???

Original review: March 10, 2018

I got a package of several items. All are fine and as expected except the Clinique 3 in1 Starter Kit. The box was sealed, yet there was no facial wash inside... just steps 2 & 3. I was so excited to try this product so I am LIVID. I hope they make this right without making me jump thru hoops. I'll be calling when they open in the morning!

Original review: March 9, 2018

I've made a purchase and sign up for the Mastercard to use the coupons. During checkout, the cashier asked if I want to make purchase with cash or card, I paid in cash. Now they are billing for that amount on the Master reward card. I don't bother to look at the Ulta mail because I thought it was just coupons that was sent to me. Few months later, saw the bill with 2 overdue fees, so I called for a dispute because I paid in cash and not with the reward card. The representative was so rude (I WISH THAT I HAVE MY RECEIPT SO I CAN SLAP THE REPRESENTATIVE WITH THE RECEIPT).

They said that I still have to pay for the minimum payment for the fee not continue until dispute approved. The Worst part is that I don't Have my receipt anymore because I clean my room and threw everything out. Dispute probably not gonna be in my favor since I don't have my receipt anymore. Now I'm probably end up paying Over $100 for makeup that is only worth $20. Never again shopping at Ulta, I'm going to cancelled every account I have with them. If anyone of you that have any tip for my situation please help.

Original review: March 8, 2018

No qualified stylists to style ethnic hair - I recently went to Ulta to purchase Keratin for my hair, I was told that they do no sell the product to non-professional consumers, but they perform the service in the salon. I am an ** woman, the associate was also **. I assumed that since she was booking an appointment for me that they had qualified stylists who knew how to style ethnic hair. She told me she booked me with the Manager.

When I arrived for my appointment, the manager told me she could not do my hair because she had meetings but she had another qualified stylist who could meet my needs. Vickie was great with applying the keratin but she acted as if she was afraid to comb my hair. She did an excellent job with the color but when it came to actually cutting and styling my hair, her lack of knowledge regarding ethnic hair was very apparent. She used a lukewarm dryer to dry my hair which left my hair damp, then she attempted to curl my hair without adding any oil to my hair. She never straightened my hair from the roots, nor did she straighten my edges, needless to say I was getting pretty frustrated at her lack of knowledge, that I took the flatiron and straightened my own edges.

I was very dissatisfied with Ulta salon. I was charged $259.00 for an unfinished look. My hair looked worse than it did when I arrived. When I arrived home my family member asked me what happened to my hair. My suggestion to Ulta is to get stylists that can service all hair types or don't book appointments if the stylist isn't qualified.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I purchased over 93.00 in beauty products from Ulta. I qualified for free shipping. I never received the package which was left at my front door. When I tried to file a claim with post office, I was told the package wasn't insured!! When I called Ulta and they told me they don't know that I didn't receive the package and wouldn't refund my money!!! They were very rude. My bank is now disputing the purchase but this seems like it will be a long process. Now I'm out $93. Make sure whomever you purchase from through the mail that there is insurance!!! I never thought to even ask. I'll stick with Sephora from now on.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I bought a three item package face cream deal online, also had bought 1 bottle of face cream in store to try. After using the package deal I found two of the items were not what I wanted. The day cream (even though I did not put near my eyes) irritated my eyes, and the serum after using on face started to flake off even under makeup. I did use all the night cream thinking it would do what it said it was designed to do, but it did not. I took everything back to Ulta store, I had a receipt for the item I bought at store but not for the online purchase but did have my credit card bill showing I bought the package deal. They gave me the money back for my store purchase (it was not opened) but said since I used more than 10% of the night face cream they would not reimburse me for my package deal. I asked how would I be able to know if the product worked or not as it said it would take two to three weeks to see results, they said that was their rules.

As far as the other products in the package deal they could not do anything on those either, even though they sell these items separately in the store same size etc. I don't understand how you can only use 10% of an item to know if it is going to work. I think this rule is strange as it isn't like eating a bag of potato chips and saying I did not like them but ate the whole bag, this is something that has to be used for a while to determine if it will work. Reading other reviews I see Ulta's return policy is not a very good one, so beware if you are not sure you like the product and may need to return go to another store. I know I will.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I enjoy beauty products. I buy enough to qualify for platinum status. A likely place to purchase beauty products is Ulta. Unfortunately, my experience with them is frustrating. The shelves are not properly stocked. They are out of many products most any time you enter the store. The check out line is long and requires extra time to stand in line because there is never enough cashiers. Yet...on the high end makeup side there are plenty of employees roaming the floors stalking customers. Why these people can't operate a cash register is beyond my comprehension. I have found that there might be more product "in the back" if you ask. Why can't the product be stocked on the empty shelves? It's a mystery.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Went to Ulta Salon in Aurora Co Southlands. Christy did my hair and I wanted blond highlights. My hair is naturally brown but had blond highlights. I spent almost 4 hours there and walked out with super icy blond hair with my dark roots untouched and gray hair. I had even showed her a picture of I wanted. It was not even close. Called and had Dee the salon manager to fix my hair. I weren’t back 4 days later and spent another 3 hours there trying to get fixed. I walked out with silver ends and copper colored roots. How does this happens?

She was supposed to call me today and no call. I had to call her and she told me to come back on the do a color reverse on my hair to get that icy white back. What about my copper orange roots??? I’m taking this to corporate as I want my money back of $ 195 mess! Oh and one more thing I’m getting married 90 Days! Thanks Ulta for taking my money and ruining my hair! Attached are pics of what I wanted and asked for and what I have now!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I was sent an open bottle of nail polish which spilled onto everything I ordered. Customer service repeatedly kept insisting "damage during shipping happens". The package was in perfect condition. The nail polish was packed up in bubble wrap with the other items already unscrewed. After calling customer service/emailing repeatedly the only options they will give me is to replace the open bottle of nail polish. Never mind the other items covered in polish. Also, whether I get a replacement or not, I still have to print a label, package it up, bring it to a shipper, Or take a train ride out to the store hours away to return the opened one. I should not have to be inconvenienced for improperly shipped items or be stuck with other items covered in nail polish. Worst customer service ever! I would not recommend ordering from Ulta.com. It was clearly their fault and they will do nothing about it to not inconvenience me.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

I ordered 3 tubes of Benefit POREfessional. They are expensive - about $50 each. I hate to spend that much money at one time but they usually have this larger size available only at this time of year. It saves me quite a bit so I buy 3 tubes to last me the year. This year I did it online. $159. Ouch!!! When I received the box there was only 1 inside plus a free sample!! I called them the minute I opened it. They said they had no way to prove I was telling the truth. True. They don't. I can call PayPal which I will but now I'm getting concerned about ordering online. I will definitely NEVER order from them again. They should have someone double checking the completed orders or some way of verifying what they ship. I now have to pay for their mistake. I hope PayPal can help me.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I placed an online order with Ulta using 2000 of my Ulta points & Ulta credit card... something I've done a dozen times before. The system would not let my purchase go through, however. After giving up, I came to realize that I had 2 charges on my credit card. One for the amount using my points and one for the full amount not using my points. However, there was no purchase order. I called customer service and they said they are working on the refund of the two charges and will put in a trouble ticket about the missing order.

I received a mail from an Ulta Beauty Guest Services rep in response to the trouble ticket that indicated they revoked my ability to place an order online because supposedly I've gone against their terms and conditions. They advised they cannot accept orders outside of the US. I'm in the US! I've ordered from them a dozen times before to my US address! I followed up to advise they're mistaken and I was then told that they have "limited visibility on which term is restricting [my] order" and that I still can no longer place online orders with them. If they cannot confirm the term restricting my access, then how can they say it's my fault, by way of no longer permitting me to place online orders? Anyway, terrible experience. I responded saying they lost a customer.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I don't even want to give them 1 star, but in order for me to leave a review I have to. I placed an order with this company, it was supposedly delivered to my residence. I don't have the package, I checked with local neighbors and post office. I first contacted the company to get a refund back to my original method of payment. They replied back I was going to get a gift card, I don't think it's their business to choose how to refund me. I then contacted the company and spoke with Lucia and a supervisor by the name of Christine ** - the both of them have terrible attitudes. Christine replied back "well mam it says delivered on our end so if you didn't get it this is our apology by providing a gift card." I didn't want a gift card. I purchased what I needed from somewhere else but she didn't care to hear that. She went right over me and said, "I'm not refunding you." Worst company ever!!! I would never buy from them. Customer service sucks.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I have been going to my Queens salon for 14 years but my colorist went to Miami on vacation. My hair was have GRAYS coming out of nowhere, anyways I pass by the Ulta salon in Bay Plaza in the BX. I kind of hesitated a little and should’ve went with my instincts not to go in. But I was presented to hair stylist - MELISSA, I clearly in English explained to her with my husband right by me that I wanted honey gold highlights with a caramel-honey roots. Even showed her pictures on my phone of the color I’ve been getting for 19 years. She stated "she can do that color." My hair is horrible. It's DARK BROWN, MELISSA the hair stylist was busy doing 2 sisters' hairs while doing my hair and was rushing my hair. Left me in the dryer for 43 minutes with rollers so she can attend to the 2 sisters then she really did not blow out my hair like a stylist suppose to do.

I left the salon paid my $131.24 and CRYING and cried towards my husband. He notice the darkness in my hair and was horribly shocked that I looked sad, dark and not ME. I never had a salon experience like this. I RECOMMEND FOR NO ONE TO GO TO ULTA IN BAY PLAZA, they are not colorists. My experience was the worst. I just wanted blonde highlights like I always get in my Queens salon.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

I went three times to try to get my original haircut from Ulta fixed. Each time it got worse. I had an appointment with the manager for highlights and she was a no show. Instead, another incompetent "hairdresser" gave me the worse highlights I have ever gotten in 40 years. Then charged me $275!! She never turned me around to view the back but needless to say, horrible mess. No way would I go back ever again. I lost over 8 inches of hair and spent a total of almost $400. The photo #1 below is the "before" handiwork of Ulta Salon. I finally gave up and went to a REAL PROFESSIONAL at a QUALITY SALON.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I ordered a hairdryer online from Ulta Beauty. It was to be delivered YESTERDAY. It was NOT. I have tried via phoning and emailing their Customer Service links to find out what has become of my hairdryer. The phone line rings a BUSY SIGNAL CONSTANTLY for four hours until I have given up. The email contact leads only to a long list of questions to click to find the answer, NONE of which pertain to my question. I will NEVER order anything from ULTA BEAUTY online. In fact, I will call my credit card company to cancel the order as I am worried that the whole online business is a scam. Nearly all the reviews I have read are terrible.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I made a purchase at Ulta.com online. When I entered my Mastercard number for the sale, the site automatically issued me an Ulta (Comenity Capital Bank) credit card and charged the purchase to the new card. I only found this out when the bill came along with a 27% interest account. I think Mastercard allowed them access to the information necessary to open a new card. According the helpwithmybank.gov website a card cannot be issued without written or verbal request.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

It is a really long story.... but to summarize they have extreme poor customer service over the phone and thus far worst customer service experience I've had!!! After speaking to about 5 different customer service reps on the phone I finally had someone that was aware about the 20% off discount I was entitled to by a promotion they had advertised on their online site everywhere. I was told I was going to receive an email. Never received it. Called again. Expressed my concern. Then got the email stating once I received product I would get refunded the 20% off coupon. Fine. That works then received a 10 e-gift for the inconvenience.

Then, received shipment from Ulta (product was NOT IN THE BOX) $97 worth but the free robe was in the box. :) ??? Smh. So then I called and they said there is nothing they could do and I had to dispute it with my bank... so after being extremely frustrated and no words left. I said okay well am I getting my 20% refunded... I received and have proof of that email stating all of that.. rep said, "No unfortunately we cannot do that but, we can send you an e-gift card of $10." I had to repurchase the item from them because it was a Christmas gift and this was 3 days before Christmas. Left with no choice. My bank has yet confirmed with me if they're going to dispute it or not. The e-gift helped to freaking repurchase the item. That's it. Ulta very disappointed. Please train your employees. It's a total shame. Never want to go back!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

I went into the Golf Mill Ulta to exchange a Christmas gift. I was right in back of a ** woman also returning multiple items without a receipt. She was able to return her items and they even asked her if it was ok that they gave her a gift card for her return, she replied yes and off she went. When I tried exchanging an item without a receipt and had no beauty rewards number. I was treated as if I stole the items! The cashier asked me if I used them. I told her no. She then proceeded to open the items looking to see if I was lying.

Why ask me if you are going to open the products in front of me? That implies you do not trust me and that I am lying!!! I was so humiliated. I look over my shoulder and there were at least 20 or so people in line in back of me. I finally received a store card but at what cost. Ulta teach your employees to treat all customers with respect regardless of their ethnicity. I HAVE NEVER FELT SO HUMILIATED AND DISRESPECTED IN MY LIFE!!! I WILL NEVER EVER SHOP AT ANY ULTA BECAUSE OF THIS ONE STORE!!! If I could give them zero stars I would!!!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

On December 12th I ordered a skin cleansing system that was to be a Birthday/Christmas Gift for a relative. The order was cancelled and my niece never received the product. When I called customer service I was told "There doesn't seem to be a reason as to why it was cancelled." Then I was told "I'm sorry." Had she said, “We have them now in stock and I can give you an accommodation” then I might have been a satisfied customer. I will never shop at this store for sure, they have terrible customer service both online and in their stores.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

After today I’m not sure I will ever shop at Ulta again. I received an item as a gift. I did not have the receipt and as I went to exchange it I got looked at like I was a criminal. The girl gave me a hard time and then finally called the manager. She returned it for me and gave me a gift card for the lowest price. I accepted all of that. And when I came back up to check out I got the look again. I don’t see what the big deal is if I return one item in my whole 10 years of shopping there without a receipt. This leaves a very bad taste in my mouth for an overpriced store.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

I've been platinum for 7 years. Order over $2000 yearly. I ordered on sale concealer $15. Received wrong color. Called customer service and they reshipped the correct color. I received a huge box for a tiny concealer and only thing in box was paper. No concealer. I called customer service and was refunded $15. Then blocked! They screwed up. And I'm blocked?? I'm almost 50 years old. I don't need to scam for a cheap concealer. If I order $2000+ a year why would I pick a $15 concealer if I'm a scammer? Ridiculous. Customer service is very rude and won't help.

Ulta Beauty Company Information