1.73/5

ulta.com

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

340 Ulta Beauty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

About a month ago I was gifted a $100 gift card to Ulta from my boyfriend on the same day that it was purchased. I tried to use it a few days later and the woman at the counter said it had been used already. I called customer service and was supposed to receive an email the following day. I didn't so I called again. This time I was told that my card was used the day before I tried to use it at a store in Huntington Beach. I'm in Orange and had the card the entire time. Nobody could explain to me how that was possible or refund my money.

I called again the next day and was told the card was used in HB at 11:32 p.m. Again how is that possible??! The store closes at 9 p.m. The guy went to double check with his manager and said he was confused because he's in Florida and it was actually used 9:32 my time but I later checked and Florida is 3 hours ahead not 2. Never got a call back from the manager Norma at the HB store who was supposedly looking into checking the surveillance for that night. Gave up dealing with them and customer service since everybody was useless and my boyfriend was able to get his money back through his bank.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

So even after 13 days back and forth they finally refunded me but they didn't give me a full refund!!! I'm ready to call the BBB on them! I'm so furious that they didn't give me a full refund after all of this headache! I've never had such terrible customer service in my life!

Get expert buying tips about Makeup Brands delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I placed an order on November 17th which was over $100. There were some free gifts with items I ordered as well as a cosmetic bag with items worth over a $100 if you spent $75 or more. Was supposed to get the package on 11/25. I tracked my package and it was refused at post office due to damage at my local post office that day and sent back due to damage. I emailed customer service and they said they would send a new order which I would receive Dec 4th. Once again the tracking package was again refused at my local UPS due to damage on December 4th. The item was sent back.

I again contacted customer service via email to complain. The response was that they had refunded my money and that I could re-order. I emailed back saying that I had spent a lot of time selecting items and many were gifts that I needed soon. I also stated there were no deals on items I had ordered today. Also I informed them that there were no refunds or pending refunds on my credit card. I will not order from them again. It appears many people have had this experience and I wonder what is going on. I actually am afraid they have my credit card number now.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

DON'T ORDER ONLINE FROM ULTA. I placed an order worth over $150 on November 23rd. On December 4th I tracked my package only to discover UPS had it listed as damaged and it was returned back to an ULTA Distribution Center. I emailed Guest Services and asked that they reship my order asap since the order contained gifts. I was told they would NOT reship my order, will just give me a refund on my Credit Card. I emailed Guest Services again stating I did not want a refund, I want the items I ordered. The items I ordered were on sale when I ordered them. Guest Services basically told me they will not reship my order and I need to go online and place another order! I went online and of course my items are no longer on sale and some of them are not available! PLUS, my credit card hasn't been refunded yet!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I ordered stuff online on Cyber Monday. I ordered 3 of the Superhero Mascaras by It for $10 each normally $24. I also ordered a OPI nail polish. My package was lost somewhere at the post office or before it got to the post office or it was never sent out. I'm not sure. I know it never made it to my house and I was not able to track it. Ulta sent me several emails telling me they would replace my package. After 11 days I was extremely frustrated I was still being extremely nice then I got an email stating that they were refunding me my money like I asked for. I replied back, "I did not ask for a refund. You said you were going to replace my order. I just want my order replaced." Their response was they were sorry for the miscommunication but they were out of stock with the Superhero Mascara by It so they had to refund me my money.

I expressed how extremely disappointed I was because I got that mascara on sale for a deal at $10 a piece and it's normally $24 that I lost my Cyber Monday sale! I went to my Ulta app to order the mascara and it was still in stock at their warehouse it let me order it. When it is out of stock it will tell you it is out of stock. It won't let you order it so that lets me know that they lied to me. They just didn't want to send me my mascara. I'm extremely disappointed with the service that I received. I wasted my time on Cyber Monday trying to get a deal from Ulta. I should have went to Sephora. They never offered to send me any samples or any coupons or anything to make up for wasting my time. I waited over 11 days for my package that never came. It was a complete waste of my time. They did give me back my points but that was it. They say they're giving me back a refund but I haven't seen it yet.

They took my money out of my credit card instantly. They should be able to put it back on there instantly. After all of this time waiting on my package that never came and then they're telling me they have all these sales going on. Right now they don't have the mascara in stock supposedly and I have to wait four more days before they can put my money back in my account after I've waited almost two weeks for a package that was never coming. They could have at least offer some kind of reimbursement. I asked if I could pick it up at a store close to me since they own the stores and they said they could not do that. That I could not pick the mascara up at store close to me. They had no other Solutions other than just give me my money back. I will never order anything online again From Ulta. I don't care how good the sales are!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ulta Beauty?

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I placed an order on 12/2/18 and paid for part of my order with a gift card. On 12/3 I received an email stating the order was cancelled because they advertised the wrong price. False advertising if you ask me. I called customer support and spoke with 3 different people, both supervisors were very rude. Terrible customer service for an error THEY made. My gift card now had a zero balance and I was told it should correct in a day or two. Very unhappy with this business.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Ande ** literally out of all the people I have talked to over the phone, this girl did unnecessary work. I could have gone without not knowing this point system, but she went out of her way to please me. Keep up the great work, we need people like you in customer service.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Their marketing and honor to their own policy is false! There was freebie that was sent out to everyone by email, when you went to add it to the cart it took a discount off any other items in the cart as well. As a consumer, all I did was receive my coupon and went to check out with it like any other person would do. Instead they cancelled my order and said it wasn't able to be fulfilled based on a "mispriced item". They then gave me a 20% off coupon to "make up for it"...the coupon wasn't special for me it was sent out in December to everyone who signed up for emails. So no that didn't make up for it not even close. ULTA make the mistake don't punish the consumer for doing nothing wrong. Some people were able to go pick up their orders they placed online in store (this is only an option in some cities) and they are not getting punished or getting order revoked! It is not fair!

Own up to the fact you made a mistake and let us keep our current order. That's what any other company would do, they would HONOR it because that is what good customer service is. Your policy even states that no orders will be cancelled and are unable to be cancelled unless something is out of stock, that is the only excuse for that. Therefore you broke your own policy that is advertised on your site!! This is beyond the worse customer service I have ever experienced. You have ruined the holiday season for a lot of people because of cancelling orders and now we have to go figure out something else. Unbelievable.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I had bought a set of Morphe brushes on 12-2-18 where the price was an incredible deal. I placed my order, got a confirmation only to find out via email later that night, that Ulta had a price glitch and they had canceled my order. This is so unprofessional, they should honor the prices they had at point of checkout! It's so unfortunate, Ulta disappointed me for the first time, Im now more inclined to order from the brand directly.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Placed an online order on 12-2-2018. Saie items totaled 40.14. Received an order confirmation. Then to wake up this morning to find out they said that they made mistakes on prices and my order would be canceled. They should definitely honor the prices they advertised. Very very upset as a consumer. Terrible customer service as well.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

Placed an order through their website Cyber Monday since they were offering some great promotions. Spent about 30 minutes making sure my order qualified for the free gift items. The items were in my cart and appeared as part of my order when I checked out. They also appeared in my confirmation email as well as my order processing email. I received a 4th email saying my items had shipped... all but my free items.

I called customer service where the supervisor was both unapologetic and RUDE. She stated the website clearly says “while supplies last” and they would not be sending me the free item. I told her that was both normal and understandable but most companies are on the ball and kind enough to let their customers know when a promo is sold out before processing an entire order. She really didn’t seem to care. So tired of companies dangling offers in front of loyal customers and not keep their word. This should be considered false advertising and they should be held accountable.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I purchased a $100+ order of Mario Badescu on Ulta.com on November 24, 2018. The website was having a great Black Friday weekend sale on Mario Badescu products. I qualified for the additional Gift with Purchase which was a really nice Mario Badescu skincare set. When I received my $100 dollar purchase, it did not include the gift with purchase so I emailed Ulta. No response. I called their Customer Service department and the ladies told me that my order didn’t show that I “opted in” (check a box) to get the gift. I told them I doubt that is the case bc on my iPhone, the free gift box is automatically checked and I would have to Uncheck. I told them they must have a tech issue on their end. They said they had “issues” with the website but there was nothing they could do. I said that wasn’t really very good customer relations since I deserved the gift and they clearly have tech issues on the website.

The ladies I talked to were very nice but then I talked to “the floor manager” and he was a total Runaround man. He basically said that there was NOTHING he could do about it since my order showed that I allegedly didn’t check the free gift box while making my order. So I said at Sephora when they don’t give you a gift that you QUALIFY for, they always remedy the situation and make accommodation. He said there is nothing he can do. He was totally unreasonable and like a robot! I then told him that I spend THOUSANDS of dollars a year (probably his monthly salary) at Ulta and that apparently was sooo offensive to him because he got very self righteous and said that Ulta treated the rich and poor equally! What a joke.

I guess that’s correct...no matter if you are rich or poor, they will still rip you off and not give you the gift with purchased you rightly and honestly deserve! This guy is a jerk and Ulta in general doesn’t honor its promises. I’ve never had a problem like this in the Ulta stores or in a Sephora! This company has a problem with its tech computer system and they know it and are deliberately not giving people their gifts with purchases. Shame on you. People work hard for their money and expect consideration and honesty when shopping. No more Ulta for me. I will go straight to the Mario Badescu website to make future purchases.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I ordered 4 items as part of Christmas gifts. They say they shipped the package out, however, UPS says they did not. When I called about this they were not willing to put an investigation in with ups. They offered to reship the items but two of the items I ordered were now out of stock and they would not put them on hold for me when they did come back in stock. They only refunded me which means nothing as I put a lot of time and effort into making sure I ordered the product before it sold out.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I went and had my haircut today at the Ulta in St Matthews, Kentucky. The employee was super nice and friendly. HOWEVER the back of my hair is messed up really bad. It is uneven, jagged and looks terrible. I don’t want to go back to that location again for a cut so I call another Ulta to see if they can fix my hair. They will re-do it for 43.00, after I just paid 33.00 for the botched up cut??? I am not really happy about this.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

On 11/23 I placed 2 orders with the same items and of $74.28 each. I called Ulta 10 min later to cancel order ** because for some reason it didn’t include the gift bag. I didn’t receive any cancellation email so I called back Ulta again. Lisa confirmed that the status of the order is canceled and cancellation processing takes longer time. Two days have passed without receiving the cancellation confirmation, I called Ulta for the 3rd time on 11/25 and the agent told me the order wasn’t canceled. I asked to talk to a manager-Shatell- and was told the same thing. I have to either return to the store or refuse receiving it which is of course not an option because delivery men always drop the packages by the door and leave.

First, $150 hot my credit card for a duplicate order. Second, I don’t have a flexible schedule at the month end. This means I will have to reduce my work hours and leave early which is an extra cost of course besides the extra physical effort. Third, there wasn’t a single sincere attempt for make it right to the client throughout the whole process and they don’t care about their customer satisfaction. This is one of the most horrible customer service experience.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I placed an order online which took almost 30 mins because the site was crashing. I understood it might be high volume and was patient. I qualified for a free make up kit due to the amount of my order, but the system glitched and never added it. I called customer service and they said there was nothing they could do. I then spoke with a manager and again was told there was nothing they could do and there was no one else I could speak to, but they would email the cancellation department for me and ask if they would allow me to cancel and if they allowed it, my money would be refunded within 5-7 days, so they would have to pull more funds if I re-placed my order. Well I can do that myself, so what does customer service do exactly, if they can't do anything I can't do myself!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I recently attempted to order advertised sale products (10 shampoo and Big Sexy hairspray) from Ulta. All was well until I got ready to check out. The site would not accept my credit card, my husband's credit card, my debit card or a friend's credit card. I called the company and no explanation was given, I was told they would forward my concern. The sale ended the next day and I was again unable to order the items. Again no apology or explanation was given from Ulta as to why this happened.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Tried to place an online order 10/23. No matter what form of payment I tried to use it kept saying, "Cannot verify payment please use a different form of payment." I called customer service. They told me, "Oh for some reason you were at your account, was locked out and it would take five days to unlock it," which is unreasonable and unacceptable but there was nothing I could do. So now it’s 11/15 and I’m trying to place another order in. Guess what? Same issue. My account is still locked out so it’s been locked out for six weeks so I am unable to make a purchase.

Even as a guest I cannot make a purchase at all because they recognize my IP address so anywhere in my house on any device I am not allowed to make a purchase even though all my credit cards are good. I even have an Ulta Beauty Credit Card that I cannot use either. Unacceptable. So they just told me again, "It’s gonna be another five days to unlock your account." I have zero faith that this will ever be resolved. I have a credit card from them and the app and I am deleting everything. Very dissatisfied. Customer service did zero to help me. Very frustrated and upset. Will be buying my makeup from other places such as Sephora.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I have had an Ulta Mastercard since the beginning of this year. Each time I make a purchase, I look to check on the points. They advertise '2x points for every dollar spent at Ulta' (online or in store, pre-tax). Easy to understand right??? Well, every single time I have made a purchase there, 1 point shows up but not the others due me. In other words, if I spend 10 on an item, I should be getting a total of 20 points, correct (10x2). So when I see that I only get the 10 points on a 10 dollars purchase, I am told by customer service when I call that I have to wait for my statement to get the full points. OK. I get it. Statement comes... no extra points... this happens every month and I call customer service each time.

In the beginning, they apologized and adjusted. The past few months, not so. I spent almost an hour going back and forth on the phone with the rep. I went through each step with her. I even asked to speak to a supervisor (she ignored that). I remained calm as did she. At first she told me the 2x points was just a promotion... to which I read her the statement online that said: 'all the time'. No response. Finally, she said she would make a 1 time adjustment as a courtesy and one time only. One of us is incorrect. I have no problem admitting if I am incorrect but I have read the terms and conditions over and over again. I am ready to cancel the card and shop at Sephora.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I am a military spouse and this weekend is my Marine Corps Ball. I scheduled my appointment for my hair and makeup in Sept. They called yesterday to tell me that they would not be able to do my makeup since no one was scheduled to come in until 3 hours after my appointment but they could still do my hair. So now I am struggling to find someone to cover for them since they obviously can not handle appointments. This is so ridiculous. I will be making sure that everyone around knows to stay away from them.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I ordered a bronzer online for a friend and thought it would be nice to have Ulta gift wrap it for me, and it turned out... awesome. It was in a cute pink box with a pretty bow and was packaged. I never any had problems with Ulta.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I purchase a shampoo & conditioner online with the special buy of "buy 2 get 1 free" so ULTA ships me 2 and says the 3rd item is out of stock, so I go online and find that item in stock so they are clearly baiting customers. I went online again just to see if it would happen again and it did!!! Do not shop online with ULTA, they are BAITING customers into buying more and not getting the free product. SHAMEFUL!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I am a makeup lover, and frequently shop in store and online with Ulta. I have had no reason to deal with customer service until today. I ordered online with a 20% off coupon that included prestige brands. I received my shipment, and it was missing a Lancôme mascara ($32 original price) even though it was listed on the packing slip.

Customer service could not have been less helpful. They told me the item was no longer in stock and they could only offer a refund to my card. I had to explain several times that I was not satisfied with that solution as a refund to my card at the 20% off rate did not solve my problem — that I am out of mascara and will now have pay full price since I don’t have a coupon code! I don’t think this is a complicated concept or a surprising reason to be unsatisfied with a solution. I only order my mascara when I can get it on sale. Customer service did not attempt to make the situation right at all. They didn’t appear to care one bit about my inconvenience due to THEIR errors.

Are you telling me that there is no way they could send me a 20% off one item code so that I could purchase a different mascara? Or send me a $32 gift card/store credit/online credit to go to the store and get one at full price? I told them that I would be fine to order a different Lancôme mascara if they could just send it to me at the 20% off rate... that was also no-go. I was on the phone for a long time, and it was clear that no resolution was going to happen. Ended up with a refund at the 20% off rate. Wasted time and energy.

This is what makes the situation worse — over the past 10 days, I have spent almost $500 at Ulta with 20% off codes in preparation for Christmas and as a donation to a mission. I am clearly a good and loyal Ulta customer. Until this shipment, I’ve never received a shipment that was missing an item. The customer service people can see my record of sales. I am the ideal consumer that they should want to keep in order to continue steadily receiving my money, right? Instead, they nickel and dime me over a stupid mascara.

I got off of that call so frustrated because I simply don’t believe that customer service was powerless to solve my problem. I will NEVER buy mascara there again, and will purposely wait for Sephora VIB sales to purchase all of the makeup I would normally purchase at Ulta. The only thing I have to purchase at Ulta is Shape Tape. Ulta will not come out ahead if their customer service doesn’t improve. Consumers have Sephora and beauty brand websites that offer the same if not better discounts.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I ordered one item from ulta.com. The delivery date came and went with no package, and according to the tracking info there was an “issue with address” and therefore unable to deliver. I checked my address, it was correct. When I called and emailed Ulta their response was that I have to track it down by calling the post office, running around the neighborhood, etc. I wanted a replacement or refund and they completely refused. I am never ordering from them again.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I would give Ulta’s online customer service zero stars if I could. Items were missing from my order and they claimed they did not have the systems to reprocess it. I’m sure I’m not the only one this has happened to. People work hard for their money, but Ulta apparently does not care.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Today I was there to purchase something. Everything was put back wrong and I couldn’t find what I was looking for. Finally a young lady came over to help and open a drawer and found it. Then you have to check out two cashiers I thought, but when I went up to the one that was standing there doing nothing she said she wasn’t on. Fine. I go back to the line. Now there are 4 people in line. The cashier who is working now walks away to get something for her customers. Other girl still standing and we are all waiting, waiting and waiting. Finally cashier who is working comes back to finish with her customer and says to the employee standing there to log on to her register to help someone... really she had to be told... we were rolling our eyes after waiting 15 minutes.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

If you shop at Ulta online you better hope there's not a problem with your order because it'll be a waste of time to email or call customer service. They don't bother to listen and immediately assume they know "what happened" without even taking the time to actually look into it. It seems like they're trained to disagree with the client rather than assist. With so many other options out there I definitely won't shop at Ulta again.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Ulta advertises lots of amazing 1 day deals... BUT when you go to buy the products online it's out of stock for that particular day. Total bait advertising! And then when you address it in a complaint, the guest services rep says "stop by again for great deals". Long story short I have never purchased anything there and never will. I'll continue to give my business to Sephora and by the looks of all the complaints on here it seems most consumers do the same.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Ulta advertises easy returns both online and a 60 day return on their receipt. I bought a makeup foundation and they refused to return the item because they said it was 'final sale' even though the item and the receipt were not written as final sale. Normally, when I have bought an actual final sale item, 'final sale' is written on the receipt or on the item and the Ulta website doesn't even mention that they don't accept final sale items for return.

It only says that if you want to return something that they will be happy to help you, which they were not. If the item or receipt was marked final sale I would not have expected to return it. I asked for the manager and later called customer service. I was told by both that even though they understood what I was saying and it made sense, they were not going to do anything to help me. This is not what I expected when I saw them advertising 'easy returns'. I don't understand the logic in their actions. Normally, when you see a store policy listed on the receipt or website, that is what you expect the store to follow, not to make up new rules as they go along.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I noticed a fraudulent charge on my debit card. Called the company before the order was shipped. They refused to cancel the order, charged my card, and wouldn’t put the money back. It’s been 3 weeks. My bank had to submit the fraud to MasterCard to dispute the charges. Ulta customer service and online ordering are TERRIBLE. Do not recommend to shop with them on their online platform.

Ulta Beauty Company Information