1.25/5
Based on 82 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ulta.com

272 Ulta Beauty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 22, 2018

Get the word out to shut this company down! Their customer service is HORRIBLE! I made an online purchase of a hair dryer that was on sale and had a free mascara code, so my total came up to $27.50. They shipped the items BUT my local post office that I’ve used for years sent the package back to Ulta because they claimed they didn’t know where my address is located [although I get packages to that address every single day except Sunday]. So I contacted Ulta by email and asked to have the package shipped to an alternate address. They claimed they couldn’t do that and refunded my money.

After 3-4 emails later of me complaining that I shouldn’t be penalized for something that wasn’t my fault, they sent me a $26 gift code. Okay... so I can make the same purchase; no problems, right? Well I went back to the website, reloaded my cart with the same hair dryer and mascara I previously purchased at $27.50 and my total came up to $57.17 this time. Even after their $26 gift card, I would’ve had to pay $3.67 more for the same exact purchase I made a week prior. I’m not stupid and will not pay $3.67 more for the exact same thing I purchased before. I did go to Amazon and find a really AWESOME professional grade hairdryer that I purchased and as for my mascara, I’m going to try out Sephora and junk Ulta and their $26 gift card. Worst customer service I’ve dealt with in a LONG TIME. #UltaNoMore

Original review: June 17, 2018

I went in today to have my hair corrected by the stylist who did it. I texted the stylist because no one barely ever answers the salon phone because they have no receptionist. The store manager came over, proceeded to tell me the stylist had other people before me and I would have to wait. I told her I contacted the stylist and he told me to come in, she goes on to tell me how he called off yesterday. To be honest that was none of my business and I believe she violated the privacy policy regarding this employee. Since I’ve been going to this store she loves to throw her power around. Very unprofessional.

Get expert buying tips about Makeup Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I go to Fairview Heights, Il approx 2 times a year. I bought some cover up for under the eyes. Used it and it did not match my and turned orange - and a eyeliner pencil. They wanted the receipt. I didn't have it. Not sure when I bought it and they have a policy which I didn't know of 60 days to return. They would not take it back since it wasn't in the 60 days - I didn't want a refund. I was going to spend $50 or more had all my stuff picked out. Told me I needed to call some number and get approved. Crazy. The manager came up not professional. Her arms were full of tattoos so I am not against them but that is not a professional image. If it was Macy's and I couldn't use it there would not be a problem with a return. Do not shop or buy anything at Ulta. Rude people work there. There was another woman returning stuff and they were examining it. Might as well had a microscope.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I got an Ulta rewards card back in September of 2017. I was really excited to be approved for $750. My credit was climbing at the time because I had just bought a brand new car and then got the cc. I made payments on time for several months until I had a financial situation recently. I've contacted them and explained the situation and they were not helpful at all. Then later on I received TWO phone calls saying it was very important that I call them back to go over "options" that could be helpful. I called back and they were not helpful at all. They literally said "just pay the amount and you'll be good." What part of "I'm having financial difficulties" do they not understand?! I've made payments since then, just not the amount they want. I'm at least attempting to get caught up and they still harass me and do not help!

Original review: June 13, 2018

We called made an appointment and was quoted a price for service. We showed up got the service and then we were billed triple the price than we were quoted. There was not a perm amount on the price menu online, or on the pamphlet in the store. This was a partial perm. So nothing shown to this k what we were quoted on the phone was wrong. The manager was rude and slow at talking to us. She basically called us liars.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ulta Beauty?

Original review: June 9, 2018

I go to the Ulta salon on Nicholasville Road in Lexington, KY and Megan ** does my hair every time! She is amazing! My highlights and cut always turn out amazing! She is definitely the best I have ever gone to, to get my hair done. I will continue to go to her! The prices are great and the service is amazing!

Original review: June 1, 2018

WARNING, WARNING!!?? BAD CORPORATE BUSINESS!!?? SHAMEFUL!!! DO NOT SHOP WITH ULTA. BAD CORPORATE OFFICE. Ulta Corporate doesn’t care about their customers and customer’s hard earned points does not matter to Ulta corporate. Only their profits, no corporate customer care. I have been a Ulta member since 2007, over the time I accumulated over 21500 points which is valued in couple thousand dollars. Every year I was a loyal customer and part of their rewards program. This year without any email notification or email warning, Ulta removed my points and returned me to bronze status. I called customer service, and I was asking why they didn’t send any email notification, they didn’t have any knowledge and they couldn’t help me because the points situation was out of their limit.

I requested that corporate should call me and reinstate my over 21500 points. I received the phone call from corporate, the number on display was five digit phone number (no real call back number), and the Ulta corporate person on the line told me that the Ulta can’t do anything for me, because I didn’t spend additional $450, my objection to corporate was “why I wasn’t notified about points and their soon expiration”, the corporate representative didn’t care about my concerns! She was talking over me, and telling me all that I didn’t purchase more so my points will be not given back regardless of lack of email notification.

The corporate didn’t care about my points and how much I spent in their store over 10 years, and my dedication and points spent wasn’t important to her as a corporate only additional money spent to remain the balance! NO NOTIFICATION WHATSOEVER TO WARN ME THAT ULTA WILL REMOVE THIS MANY POINTS!

Ulta corporate didn’t care about their many years customer, she denied me any other person to speak with because she was the only corporate helpline! Toward end of our conversation, when I said that I’ll let other customer know their poor business procedures, Corporate woman did not care that I’ll write this review letter! The reason I’m writing this review is to warn you, do not spend money in Ulta, Ulta corporation doesn’t care about their customers, and the money/point they spent, Ulta corporate only cares their business gain over customer’s expense! Yes, I lost a lots of point, but I want to warn you about their suspicious rules and regulations and no follow up with their customers about points expiration for Ulta’s Corporate gains!

Original review: May 24, 2018

Mall of Georgia Ulta is a disaster! Rude, lazy employees that do not want to help. Understaffed, messy store. How can a beauty supply store not have 3 of 5 items (common items) and in particular, nail polish remover? Seriously. I will NEVER go back and will be returning to Sephora no matter how much further away. Sephora actually helps their customers happily and staff is all over their stores to help you. No wonder so many retail stores are closing their doors. It's easier to shop online where no one can be rude and just plain lazy in customer service.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I recently moved to a new city and was looking for a hair salon. There was a brand new Ulta with a salon in this city so I thought I would take the opportunity to try this new Ulta salon for my hair. I scheduled an appointment online about one month in advance. I scheduled with a Magen ** (which I believed was a top tier stylist) and the price indicated was $120 for all over highlights. When I arrived and discussed what I wanted with the stylist she indicated I should also have all over root color done too. The price jumped from $120 to $195, but she assured me I would get exactly what I wanted. When the process was completed I was happy and paid $195 plus $40 tip. I felt the price was high, but I got what I wanted.

Four weeks later I went into the exact same salon to schedule another appointment for the exact same service. When I scheduled the appointment I said I wanted the exact same service as my last appointment and confirmed the price was the same ($195). The appointment and price were confirmed for two weeks later. Two weeks later I show up on time for my appointment. The stylist confirms what I wanted and proceeds to tell me that today that same service would now cost $295 (without tip). I was SHOCKED! I asked the stylist if this was the exact service I had at my last appointment? I was told yes. I then asked why that service was $195 and now it is $295? She said their prices have increased. I told her I was shocked and not happy about such a large increase especially when I had confirmed the price when I scheduled the appointment.

However, I really needed the service done because I had to travel out of town for business the next day so I said, "Let’s do it." The stylist said she would go talk to her manager and walked away. The stylist came back after 20 minutes and said she wasn’t going to do the service I scheduled for but would do an all over root touch up. I said, "No, I need for you to do the full service I scheduled and I will pay the price you quoted." I added that in the future I will go somewhere else. The stylist said no she wouldn’t do it. I left very upset and I will never go back.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I have had nothing but problems with my orders from Ulta Beauty as I have placed several orders in which I have either not ever received my package, received it damaged or items were missing out of it. I have tried to contact their CS department & they will not refund my money nor do anything about the items that I am missing or that I received damaged. They have also terminated my right to order online which is discrimination since I am disabled & bedridden due to an accident so I cannot go into a store to shop & I still have egiftcard that I cannot spend due to the negligence of their shipping department. The representative will not refund my money for the several orders in which I have proof that I received damaged nor for the items that I am missing so I have to seek legal counsel in order for me to recover what they have stolen from me.

Several of the people I have spoke with there are not ** & have literally laughed at my situation & I have been treated as if I am a piece of garbage so I have left several messages for their CEO who will not return my phone calls. I know several people who have had problems such as I have & they have taken care of them but not me. They are discriminating against me because I am disabled and **! It’s the worst company I have ever done business with and I need help in filing a claim against them! I have a ton of more photos of other shipments that I have received this way and instead of taking the blame for it they are saying that I am abusing their online ordering??? I have all of the proof so I know they have put me through! The worse customer service ever as I have never been so belittled and treated so poorly over stuff that was no mistake of mine but due to pure negligence of theirs!

I’m sure if this was publicized many people would say that they have gone through the same exact thing because nothing will change until they actually change it and instead of doing that they want to push the blame on me for what??? Just because I want what I paid for and I don’t want to receive items damaged like I have??? No they are 100% wrong! So if someone knows someone who can help me get my money back for the items that I am still missing that I paid for or the items that were damaged due to their neglect please help me. I am disabled and bedridden & it's wrong to let a company such as this get away with discriminating against me the way that they have and stealing my money as they refuse to give me my money back??

Original review: May 9, 2018

I have read and downloaded the policy information and followed the policies to a tee! However, on every occasion I have tried to make the transactions all the while being treated like trash! I have spent thousands of dollars over the past nine months with this company mostly online while dealing with exchanges and returns via our Local Benton Arkansas Ulta. The last straw was on Monday, May 7 2018, when I was able to “do business” at the above mentioned location. I was treated so rudely by the cashier and management that I left with the two items I was exchanging in hand while leaving their counter full of products that more than tripled the value of the exchange I was attempting to make.

As I stated this was the final straw in that. Not only have I had multiple BAD experiences but have witnessed the same! I highly recommend bypassing the brick and mortar locations as well as online orders! I recommend going directly to websites of the brands you intend to purchase. I will no longer be purchasing through Ulta and have shared my experiences locally as well as via social media, I am licensed by the State Health Department with twenty years in the beauty industry. Thank you for taking the time to read my full review.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I live in a fairly small town, so that unfortunately limits my options for where I can purchase my beauty products. However, since Ulta's customer service at our store location has been so offensively terrible any time I've tried to shop there, I purchase my products online now. Even if I want to try something new, I just gamble and order online. Judging from the other reviews, it seems this is a company wide issue. Customer service makes or breaks a company, and in our competitive economy, I predict this poorly managed company will be gone within the decade unless they change. I never get service there, and once literally followed an associate around after asking them for help (they made eye contact & were like 3 ft away, I thought they wanted me to follow them) as they ignored me and offered help to numerous other patrons.

I finally realized they were blatantly ignoring me! This experience is similar to every experience I've had there. I am a pretty, polite young woman in my late 20's & absolutely do not understand their blatant refusal to help me. Every. Single. Time. Are they threatened by attractive customers? Who knows, but it seems more likely they're just told to offend customers in their training manuals. The cashiers are moody & ungracious when ringing customers up! I HATE Ulta, & made this account just so I could share my experiences with this terrible company. I DO NOT want to hear back from this company because I hate them; I just want to warn other consumers.

Original review: May 3, 2018

The dang website of Ulta says cc was bad, but my cc was not expired and bank checked account. Everything was okay. The Ulta has a lot bad reviews and I don't trust. They will not let order go through.

Original review: May 1, 2018

I was in the store on McArthur and 161 and I was in the IT cosmetics aisle and needed help getting a product then I saw a guy (his hair was reddish) and I told him I needed help. He looked at me and then another customer walked up to him, I at least expected him to say just a moment or get someone else to help me. I waited like a fool for some assistance and got none. I want to let you know I then went to Sephora and got the product there and from now on Sephora is my place to find beauty products.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I ordered online for the first time I have ever experienced Ulta. My purchase came soon after I ordered and was correct and complete, including a sample item. A few days later, my credit card company notified me of fraudulent charges totaling over $1000. After some investigation, I found out the charges were connected to a company associated with Ulta. Real nice! Is that free sample in exchange for stealing my identity? I will never order from this company again. I wish I had read all of these reviews before I placed that order! I hope I can save others from having this happen to them.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I went to Ulta Beauty and rarely do I buy make up that is expensive but my husband was taking me out for a shopping spree and a friend sent me coupons. I had been to the store once and all was fine. This time I went and I only had four things and while I was waiting for my purchases to placed in my bag I receive I was preoccupied with a personal text from one of my children. I didn't realize that when I left I didn't have all of my purchases. I place my little bag in the bag seat of my vehicle so my husband I could continue our date day as it was.

So many hours later five we arrived home since we live 2 hours away from the Ulta Beauty where I shopped only to find out that the big purchase of eye shadow was not in my bag. It was not cheap as you all know the price I could had gone to Walmart spent half as much. I searched my car three times thinking it fell out and it had not. I called the store in Sioux City Iowa. They told me I should return to the store. I could not since it was a long drive and I have children and other obligations that night. They said they would check the cameras which I doubt they did since I could not go to the store again. And they knew it. Needless to say they stated that they put the make up in my bag. I searched my car again and my house and still no tube of make up.

I doubt I will ever go back. I will go to JC Penney's Sephora for my make up. At least I know I will get my purchases. Though my friend is going soon and she is going to take my receipt I doubt that will help any. My advice is to watch the cashiers carefully for I learned a valuable lesson in trust. Don't trust stores with your purchases.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I ordered 180 dollars worth of make up and was suppose to receive a variety sample free. I Received the email with the wrong info so I had to call. Then, I Received my order and no sampler. I called the same day. The customer service rep said they would send me one. It's been 2 weeks, no email, no nothing. I call back, no record of me calling, the girl Aleasha is rude as can be and kept putting me on hold. So nothing gets solved. I call back for the fourth time and the guy tells me they don't resend them. I said, "Resend? You never sent me one and the girl I spoke with said they were sending me one." No record of it.

Needless to say after I was on hold forever he finally came back on and said Rhett were sending it out...14 days. I said Edgar if it's not here, finally I got a reference number so they know what is going on. So, if you ever call customer service...GET THE REFERENCE NUMBER the first time because THE REPS DO NOT DOCUMENT EVERYTHING! I am so disappointed with Ulta. I can't believe I had to call them and it's still not yet resolved! I'm going back to Sephora. So what! I'd rather spend more money for quality service!!

Original review: April 13, 2018

I don’t know why but the Ulta in Clarksville Tennessee is the only one I’ve shopped in where the employees have boulders on their shoulders. They don’t greet you, they don’t ask if you need assistance. I went in for brush cleaner and they had one left, no lid that looked used so I asked an employee if she had any more and her RUDE reply was, “You mean besides the one there”, meaning the one I just described and I said yes and she yanked open a drawer, slammed it shut and said no and walked away, OMG. I had written a complaint and no one ever contacted me because they simply do not care at this location period. Where is the district and regional managers or do they not care either? So I drive to Hopkinsville, KY to their Ulta when I need to because they are more friendly and a bit more helpful.

Original review: April 12, 2018

Manager compared me to another incident that happen at the store and was very dismissive. I had to wait almost a week to receive a call back from the region manager who then stated that when I come back to the store he will help me. The next time I am their guest service put me on hold for 24 min just to give me a $20 gift card. I will never be going back. Thanks. Beware of what stores you go to.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I will never again go to Ulta!!! I am sooo beyond sick of those makeup people that want to push their product on you like a old car salesman. I went in for a specific high end foundation. Knew the brand just not the shade I needed. Asked for help and spent 30 min having them try and sell me a different brand I didn't want. Needless to say I walked out with nothing. The makeup professional lol didn't match my color correctly and lost both sales because it's not supposed to feel like a car salesman gimmick. It's supposed to be a place I enjoy going and getting what I want without being talked out of that product because they won't make a commission. This is poor business and I wouldn't recommend this place. I've been there several times. Same Experience. Please just hire people to work at Ulta not to push products. This just sucks.

Original review: April 6, 2018

Glendale Atlas Mall Manager - Tried to exchange foundation for another color. Had wrong receipt with me, but had gift card I purchased it with. The manager, a young woman, refused to even try to look up the gift card #. She was rude and condescending, brushed me off and walked away. One of the customers online commented, "Wow, is she on a power trip". All I wanted was an even exchange of an unopened sealed item. I have 4 daughters and 7 granddaughters that I have purchased many gift cards for from Ulta. Not anymore.

Original review: April 2, 2018

Almost every time I have emailed Ulta I have been brushed off with some simple idiotic response. They do not honor ANYTHING and swear up and down by their policies but do not uphold their end. Apparently you have a 2 hour window to cancel but this is absolutely false. If you place an order you can GUARANTEE your order will be processed. I cannot stand their BS responses when I work for a cosmetics company and we honor cancellations and modifications up until an order has been shipped. Even after an order has been shipped there is a possibility the order is still in house. We connect with our warehouse department and if possible we will retrieve a shipment! Ulta, you are not fooling anyone. Stick with Sephora people!

Original review: March 26, 2018

I am amazed that a company such as ULTA cannot cancel an order a few minutes after it was made. I made an order online 3/20/2018 at 7:24 pm and cancelled it on 3/20/2018 at 7:37 pm, that’s 13 minutes later!!! They stated that the order had been processed! How completely untrue and unacceptable customer service. I cancelled the order because I found that the 0.8 oz perfume I had ordered from them for $84 was being sold in other places for $54 or less. They have lost a potential good customer in me. Make sure you check the prices in other places before ordering from them, it turns they are very expensive and refuse to cancel anything.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I am a platinum member no more. I am sick and tired of their false advertising! Every time I have gone to the Gresham store they do not have the advertised items! Every time. This last time was the 1st day of their sale. I get there and not only did they not have the advertised item, I bought a different one to get the ADVERTISED free gift. As usual, no gift. Excuse? This time it was "our location doesn't have it". This is one of their busiest stores and I have never received 1 gift they have ever advertised. Sick of it! Quit advertising items & gifts you do not honor! After last week's controversy on re-packaging and selling returned items you'd think they be on guard not to piss another customer off! I'm done with Ulta.

Original review: March 18, 2018

The biggest problem with my family’s experience is that the stylist was trying to juggle too many customers at one time, so everyone got poor service. My last shampoo and haircut took more than 2 hours because she kept stopping to handle other clients. Today my husband went for a cut, conditioning treatment and style. We were there from 1 pm until almost 4, but worse than that, whatever products she used burned his scalp. She sprayed a neutralizer near his front hairline, left him under a dryer while she took care of other clients and by the time she came back, he said it felt like his scalp was on fire. She left him sitting in front of the rinsing sink for about 30 minutes while she styled another client's hair.

When he continued to complain about the burning, another stylist rinsed his hair and put something on his scalp that temporarily relieved the burning. But during the long wait for the original stylist to come back, the burning got worse again. She sent us out saying she put something on his hair to enhance his natural curl and to just “give it time to do its thing.”

After we got home the burning was so bad he had to wash whatever it was out. Still, his scalp was burning. I put an ice pack on it and called to ask what we should do. One girl who answered knew nothing other than to tell us to go see a doctor. I called back and spoke with a manager who investigated and after consulting with the manager of another store, advised me that it must be a reaction and that other clients had complained of the same problem. She told me to come back to the store and she would give me a product at no charge that should help. Well, there definitely should have been no charge; she gave me a styrofoam cup, half-filled with a white hoop, wrapped with Saran Wrap. We will NEVER go to this salon again! If I could give them negative zero stars!

Original review: March 16, 2018

My wife was very happy and surprised that I got her the Life’s A Festival eyeshadow palette all the thanks to Steffany (Ulta Beauty Brandon Town Center). She’s very thoughtful and very kind. She’s amazing. If I had five arms I would give her 5 thumbs up???

Original review: March 10, 2018

I got a package of several items. All are fine and as expected except the Clinique 3 in1 Starter Kit. The box was sealed, yet there was no facial wash inside... just steps 2 & 3. I was so excited to try this product so I am LIVID. I hope they make this right without making me jump thru hoops. I'll be calling when they open in the morning!

Original review: March 9, 2018

I've made a purchase and sign up for the Mastercard to use the coupons. During checkout, the cashier asked if I want to make purchase with cash or card, I paid in cash. Now they are billing for that amount on the Master reward card. I don't bother to look at the Ulta mail because I thought it was just coupons that was sent to me. Few months later, saw the bill with 2 overdue fees, so I called for a dispute because I paid in cash and not with the reward card. The representative was so rude (I WISH THAT I HAVE MY RECEIPT SO I CAN SLAP THE REPRESENTATIVE WITH THE RECEIPT).

They said that I still have to pay for the minimum payment for the fee not continue until dispute approved. The Worst part is that I don't Have my receipt anymore because I clean my room and threw everything out. Dispute probably not gonna be in my favor since I don't have my receipt anymore. Now I'm probably end up paying Over $100 for makeup that is only worth $20. Never again shopping at Ulta, I'm going to cancelled every account I have with them. If anyone of you that have any tip for my situation please help.

Original review: March 8, 2018

No qualified stylists to style ethnic hair - I recently went to Ulta to purchase Keratin for my hair, I was told that they do no sell the product to non-professional consumers, but they perform the service in the salon. I am an ** woman, the associate was also **. I assumed that since she was booking an appointment for me that they had qualified stylists who knew how to style ethnic hair. She told me she booked me with the Manager.

When I arrived for my appointment, the manager told me she could not do my hair because she had meetings but she had another qualified stylist who could meet my needs. Vickie was great with applying the keratin but she acted as if she was afraid to comb my hair. She did an excellent job with the color but when it came to actually cutting and styling my hair, her lack of knowledge regarding ethnic hair was very apparent. She used a lukewarm dryer to dry my hair which left my hair damp, then she attempted to curl my hair without adding any oil to my hair. She never straightened my hair from the roots, nor did she straighten my edges, needless to say I was getting pretty frustrated at her lack of knowledge, that I took the flatiron and straightened my own edges.

I was very dissatisfied with Ulta salon. I was charged $259.00 for an unfinished look. My hair looked worse than it did when I arrived. When I arrived home my family member asked me what happened to my hair. My suggestion to Ulta is to get stylists that can service all hair types or don't book appointments if the stylist isn't qualified.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I purchased over 93.00 in beauty products from Ulta. I qualified for free shipping. I never received the package which was left at my front door. When I tried to file a claim with post office, I was told the package wasn't insured!! When I called Ulta and they told me they don't know that I didn't receive the package and wouldn't refund my money!!! They were very rude. My bank is now disputing the purchase but this seems like it will be a long process. Now I'm out $93. Make sure whomever you purchase from through the mail that there is insurance!!! I never thought to even ask. I'll stick with Sephora from now on.

Ulta Beauty Company Information