1.42/5

ulta.com

399 Ulta Beauty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Ande ** literally out of all the people I have talked to over the phone, this girl did unnecessary work. I could have gone without not knowing this point system, but she went out of her way to please me. Keep up the great work, we need people like you in customer service.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I’ve been seeing Andrea for a year now and she is always pleasant and very helpful answering questions. Her styling abilities are the best, bar none! From the start, she listened to me describe the cut I wanted and nailed it from the start. She is always very attentive to me. She is a forward thinker and tries to prepare for future appointments especially during the busiest seasons. She is the best hair stylist I have ever had due to her caring nature and superb cosmetology skills! She’s an asset to the company.

Get expert buying tips about Makeup Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I was really surprised at the quality of the Ulta Beauty nail polish I purchased. It glided on right after opening it. No clumps and it didn't look heavy. It dried in ample time as well. Touched up after about 4 days but that was because I was weeding and doing other yard work.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

I use the Ulta automatic eyeliner. It comes in various different shades. It lasts all day long and goes on very smoothly. I typically buy it when it is on sale and I use my rewards coupon towards it. Therefore making it a very inexpensive item That I would rank with Clinique and Estée Lauder.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I go to the Ulta salon on Nicholasville Road in Lexington, KY and Megan ** does my hair every time! She is amazing! My highlights and cut always turn out amazing! She is definitely the best I have ever gone to, to get my hair done. I will continue to go to her! The prices are great and the service is amazing!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ulta Beauty?

Original review: May 23, 2019

I went to purchase $100 worth of product yesterday at Ulta online, and receive an 11 PC lip sampler. I tried all day to make the purchase. It would never go through. I got sidetracked and then I called today to see if they will fulfill my order. The 1st person said she was having phone problems. I asked her to call me back. She ended up hanging up on me, and didn't bother to call me back. I called back and they won't give me the online special. I will not be ordering my products through Ulta. I will shop somewhere else. I am very dissatisfied with them.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I bought the Blooming Berries moisturizing body wash and the scrub. I went to the counter and the employee told me I can get one more for FREE. I went and got another one and he scanned it and I paid $27. Didn’t realize till I got home that I actually paid for the supposedly “free” product. I blame myself too for not realizing that it was suppose to be $18 and not $27. I just think it was really messed up for him to lie to me and charge me more.

Original review: May 8, 2019

We purchased our home Aug 2018, I have been trying to get Ulta Beauty to stop sending catalogs to our house from the previous owner. There is NOTHING on their website and if you try to contact them through their website, they want you to find the answers online. I finally called, and they stated they can't cancel because I am not the owner of the account. I told them I own the house and have serious allergies and the smell of perfume from the catalog is annoying. She stated, "Nothing I can do", and I got upset and asked for the manager, after being on hold for 5 minutes, she came back and said the manager can't talk but we will email the owner and request to change it. This is literally the worse place to do business with. I use to shop at Ulta Beauty for getting my wife supplies, but they know it is a matter of principle. Terrible business culture to try so hard to NOT cancel catalogs.

Original review: May 7, 2019

When I first signed up with Ulta, I never got any rewards and kept asking in store why. After two years, someone checked and found that they had the wrong email. Great - problem fixed, right? Wrong! They never gave me my reward balance or notified me when I had enough to redeem. Then, finally, I got a notification that I had $3.00 to redeem. Great, right? Wrong. I went on a trip out of the country and returned to find those rewards had disappeared. I rechecked my notification for an expiration date... none. But when I reached out to Ulta, they told me that indeed, my points had expired. When I explained that I had not been notified of the expiration date and asked for them to be recredited, they told me that was not their policy. I am done shopping at Ulta. Sephora is far more customer-focused and offers better prices anyway!

Original review: April 28, 2019

Do not order online! If there is a problem with your order, they will likely not resolve the problem! If they ship it to the wrong address which they did in my case, they’ll expect the item to be returned before they will refund the order to you or replace the order! It is not likely you will receive a refund on the order or a replacement! They don’t ask for signature upon delivery and end up leaving it at the door, therefore it cannot be guaranteed it ever arrives or will ever be returned! Needless to say, there will be no refund and no product received! Do not order online, I suggest not doing business with them at all!!!!

Original review: April 26, 2019

I generally go into the Ulta store which is 20 miles from my house. They never seem to have enough product in the store to fulfill the buy two get one free, so I went online to place the order. I ordered the two items and did not realize that it did not give me the free item in the cart. I paid and then printed out my receipt still connected to Ulta. I saw just two items were on the receipt and immediately called the Customer service dept. This call was placed within a minute of placing the order. The CSR was very nice, but said that she had to put the request into the warehouse to cancel the order so that I could reorder. She said that they would send me an e-mail regarding the cancellation and that items possible that it was already filled. In 2 minutes from placing the order?

I received the e-mail 22 minutes after I placed the order stating it was too late to cancel. My options were to return the product by mail at my expense with a credit within 30 days or take it to a store and get the credit back in 3-5 business days. Really all I asked for was to correct the order and have 3 shipped instead of 2 which should have been a simple process. This has to be the WORST customer service I have EVER come across in retail shopping. It is so bad in this time of increased competition. I will look for other places to shop for my beauty products in the future.

Original review: April 24, 2019

My attorney advised me to report my horrific experience at the Ulta Beauty in Fairview Park, Ohio. I went in on a Tuesday evening for a root touch up, shadow touch up/scalp baseline (fleshing up), and some tiny ribbons/foils here and there of a shade lighter of the ash blonde I already had. I was scheduled for 6 pm and Laura called and stated her earlier appointment canceled at 4:10 pm and she stated I could come in any time earlier. I arrived earlier for my apt at 5:30, I was there until after the store closed with Laura, 'til 9:45 pm. I gave her 2 example photos. One showed the way I wanted my hair, not far off from what I currently had, just more blonde in it. The second was of a blonde balayage showing her that shade of blonde I wanted and no yellows or anything warm.

She said okay. And stated she understood. She went and mixed colors. She came over with 4 trays of color. One dark, 2 filled with bleach and I don’t know what color was in the 4th one. I couldn’t tell. I know it wasn’t bleach/purple. She set little notes by them so she wouldn’t confuse up her concoction I’m assuming. When she rinsed me, toned me, and flat ironed my hair. I stood up and said, "Whoa wait, this isn’t right. This isn’t what I asked for, this looks nothing like what I had in my hair or my inspiration photos." She said, "I know it looks like **." I turned from looking in the mirror and stood straight up looking at her. I said, "This isn’t what I asked for and my hair is blue and orange?" She stated if I went home, washed my hair with Dawn dish soap it would take it out.

She asked me to come back at 9 am to let her tone down the brassiness and fix the banding and color correct it. I was very hesitant because she just bleached my hair and dumped all this medium dark on my head and was not asked for. I trusted her when I walked in and left so upset because I had an interview the following day in the evening and there was NO way I was going to it looking like a zebra. I left the salon in tears. I got in my car, called my cousin and went to her house 'cause she lives close to the salon. She washed my hair with a clarifying shampoo 3x just to get the blue-violet toner out. After we blew dried it, we restyled it and it had orange banding all around my scalp, the crown of my head. You could see where she let the brown bleed right into the blonde.

The next morning, I arrived at 9:30 am. She stated her salon manager was going to come in and help assist. She didn’t show up 'til the mid afternoon around noon. She proceeded to put dark on my hair again, this time I asked what color it was and why she was adding more dark instead of weaving and threading in blonde to balance out the banding she had going all over my head? She said it was to tone down the orange brassiness. I said, "What color is it?" She said, "It’s a darker ash." I said ok. Well when I said that, I wasn’t facing a mirror. After she did this, she put me under a heating lamp. I thought this was so the blonde she foiled in would be able to pop out but instead of foiling, she balayaged my hair after I was specific about how I wanted my hair and again, she didn’t listen!!!

I didn’t know she balayaged my hair until I got up to go use the restroom and I came out upset and said, "What did you do to my hair? These are NOT foiled highlights and this is not a dark ash brown, this is BLACK!!!! I did NOT give you permission to do this, you are brave, this is brave and I did not ask for this and I want this out of my hair now." She rinsed my hair, I sat up, asked for a mirror and was horrified to discover my hair was BLACK and hay straw yellow. I couldn’t believe my eyes. I started bawling my eyes out, my hair was falling out as I was feeling it. I came in the day before with soft, shiny, long, healthy hair and now it felt like coarse, hard, straw like hair. All my dimensional blonde highlights that I originally had were all gone.

She took and bleached my entire head except my scalp. My scalp about 2 inches was all black and orange. I asked her, "What colors did you put on my head? What is this “**”? I didn’t ask for this? Why did you do this to my hair? Are you mad at me or something? I don’t even know you and you went and took it upon yourself to destroy my hair? This is unbelievable."

At this moment, it was about 1:30 pm. My son needed to be picked up from school at 3:30 pm. I had an interview at 5 pm almost 45 mins away, I needed to make myself presentable. My hair was broken and falling out of my scalp, I had chemical scalp burns all over, bumps and swollen red areas on my face and neck. Laura, took a hand towel, wiped off her hands, never said anything except “I’m done!” And walked out. Literally. I said, "Someone needs to fix this." I was so upset I started to get a little loud and stern!

From there, the salon manager Maria came back and said... "what the...” "Yeah your stylist ** up my hair not once but now twice. I have black and yellow hair. I looked like I walked out of Seattle’s grunge era from the ‘90s and this is no funny joke. This needs to be fixed immediately and I want the store manager." I was told she wasn’t available. :(

Maria went thru steps to ensure she would try to help get it partly presentable by explaining that she would have to do a partial highlight on my head. I was mortified. Now I was being re-bleached a 3rd time. She foiled my hair, put me back under the lamp, left me there for another hour. Put me at the sink for another hour. Came back and rinsed me out and my hair was carrot orange with black banding and spots that looked like Laura dumped black dye and spilled it all on my roots and inner shadow scalp. I started crying again. Mind you, I had already cried the entire time she foiled my hair, had me under the lamp and now again. It was 3:45 pm and I was going to miss my job interview. SMH. I was absolutely livid.

She put some pearly white ash toner in my hair and said, "It’s not perfect, it’s not even better, but it will do until I can get you back in, in 6 weeks to do a corrective coloring and I’ll give you 15% off." I said, "Why in God’s name would I have to pay to have my hair FIXED AFTER YOU ALL SCREWED IT UP?" No one should ever have to pay to have their hair fixed by a company that screwed it up. Wrong response. She was adamant that I come back. She had her other manager put me in the calendar and I even said, "I’m never coming back here and in fact, you need to fire that stylist. Is she licensed?" No one answered me. I think she was still being trained and didn’t have the slightest idea what to do and of course, my hair is completely fried, has layers of breakage, is 6 different colors of red, orange, peroxide blonde, black, yellow, some spots look green.

Ugh it’s not even in the least bit funny. I work in the public eye and people keep asking me what happened. That’s how bad it looks. The job interview was a big marketing job in the field I already am in and it was canceled cause by the time I got out of the salon at 4:15 (over 11 hours in 2 days there) - there was no way I was gonna show up to an interview with mascara all over my face, globs of eye boogers from crying, black and brown hair dye all over my face, red scalp burns on my head and neck and chin. It was a monstrous ordeal and I was absolutely spent. Not only did the salon manager belittle my energy, my emotions and my self worth, she left me feeling vain because I was so upset about my hair and told me to stop being negative. I did give her a thank you and I did hug her for her attempt to help, but it was not sincere.

I was deeply wounded and emotionally distraught from this ordeal. See photos, I kid you not. It’s not even humorous in the least bit. I waited 3 days to wash my hair because it had been so overprocessed. All her “pearly white ash toner” came right out and my hair is back to yellow, orange and black with brown, and whatever else is going on. AVOID ULTA BEAUTY FOR YOUR HAIR. I only went to have my roots done because my regular stylist was overbooked (good sign she’s amazing). You get what you pay for. They are cheap like Best Cuts Plus. Unacceptable, unprofessional and incompetent.

Original review: April 24, 2019

Ulta Automatically adds to the quantity right before you click submit. Will let you increase but will not let you go back and correct to one. Must delete the order and start again. Apply Coupon states we will see it applied at end but Never does. Always have to call and have them apply it. This time I'm told I called too soon. They cannot see my order and to call back. I call back very next day and I'm now told it's too late as they only have a very small window of time to apply it. How convenient for them. Shop at Amazon!

Original review: April 21, 2019

I went to the one in York PA York Town Center to do my eyebrows. I stand in front of the desk waiting for the two customers service employees to finish talking and I never acknowledge that I was there. One of them even serviced another client that walked in front of me while the other one looked down and started acting busy. After two mins or more, I decided to walk away. Shanon an employee on the cosmetic side noticed me and couldn’t stop apologizing for them. I thanked Shanon and walked away without being serviced. Would never recommend the salon to anyone. This review is only for the salon.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I shop at Ulta and I have never had an issue with the actual brick and mortar store. I decided to order some lip oil online because it had a promotion buy two get two free. I needed the item within seven days because I’m going on vacation so I ordered with expedited shipping. When I receive the confirmation email, the anticipated shipping was 7 to 10 days.

Clearly, they have a different opinion than I do of what expedited means. I went to cancel the order within two minutes of receiving the email and when I spoke to the customer service person online, he said he could not guarantee that the item could cancel. I explained that I would be gone on vacation and wouldn’t be here to receive the shipment and I needed it prior to leaving. It didn’t seem to matter. I then went online and submitted a customer service request as well to cancel my order. Three hours later I received an email saying it was too late to cancel my order because it was already being processed.

That’s absurd because I canceled it within two minutes of the order. In addition to being very upset with this alleged service, I read a review here that the promotion of buy two get two free does not work unless you order four items. It was never explained that you had to indicate four items in order to get two free. So now I’m thinking the great deal I was getting online is in fact a lie. Next time I’ll go to the brick and mortar store. They need to take a lesson from other vendors like Amazon who treat their customers with respect and honor cancellations within a reasonable amount of time.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I have been a user of the Ulta credit card for over a year. I have never missed a payment. On March 11 Comenity bank increased my limit to 1350. I didn't request it and didn't touch it. However, I got a nice little notification from Equifax stating they lowered my overall credit amount to lower than it was before, leaving me a balance of 34.00.

This is absolute consumer fraud and deception. You fluctuate balance and credit limit without thinking about the consumer at hand. You base information on credit reporting versus actual payment history. This is consumer fraud and is unacceptable from a company. This has proven to me that this corporation does not stand by the consumers or protect their interest.

I just spent 4000 in the past week paying off bills and the next one will be Ulta and I promise to NEVER step foot in another Ulta store or location. Any consumers that use Comenity should be prepared for the whiplash from this credit agency, and they should look at an overall account rather than one month of drops in credit. When NOW you look stupid 'cause I paid over 50% of my debt off.

Original review: April 13, 2019

I made a purchase on Ulta’s website. The item that I purchased stated “Buy 2, Get 2 Free.” I purchased two to receive two free. When my items arrived a couple days later. I had received two but not the two free. I wrote to customer service about it and their initial response was to tell me that I was incorrect and they referred to a completely different promotion that I was not even related to my order. I replied to the response by sending them the link to the item that states “Buy 2, Get 2 Free” to show they were referring to the wrong promotion in their response. Then another Representative replied by saying that I actually had to enter that I was buying “4” quantities so that the system would send me 4 of the item but I would only be charged for 2.

Nowhere on the item page or when entering the quantities does it state this. They may know how their computer system works but how is the customer supposed to know without it being stated on the page when purchasing? It says “Buy 2” it does not state “Buy 4.” They refuse to rectify it even though it shows I purchased two of the items which qualified me for the promotion. I was told that my order could not be adjusted since I hadn’t entered “4” quantities at checkout and that my order had already been shipped and nothing can be done. It’s false advertisement and very poor customer service. I’m sure they deal with numerous complaints on a daily basis but the entire experience was fully incompetent on their part and utterly ridiculous.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I made an order through the Ulta beauty website and made a mistake typing my shipping address. I called five minutes after I made the order to correct the mistake. Ulta refused to change the shipping address and claimed it was company policy. They suggested that I cancel the order and re-order. So, naturally I asked them to cancel it. They then said they couldn't cancel it because the order was already being processed, bear in mind this was only a few minutes after making the order. So now my order is being shipped to the wrong state and Ulta refuses to rectify the situation. TERRIBLE customer service.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I have found that ULTA has decent makeup at a fair price. I do use other brands. I feel changing makeup brands occasional lifts my spirits. I do not spend a lot of money on expensive brands. I also do not buy less expensive makeup. ULTA seems to fit the bill. A good product at a good price.

Original review: March 23, 2019

I decided to purchase this moisturizer in the Ulta store, got home only to look up the reviews and price via internet. My gosh. Took me by surprise to learn by ordering it online I could have save saved half the money. This should be illegal to do so. I will be taking it back, but because I like the way it feels I will reorder online. So I have used it for 4 days, I can wait for the mail order.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I was told by two managers at my interview, that you would get one weekend a month off at Ulta. Well needless to say that never happened and was told by the District manager that was not true! Ulta needs to train its managers more! They do not have any sort of orientation for new employees, you just have to find things out on your own. I do not recommend working for Ulta! Discounts are great but that is about it!

Original review: March 10, 2019

I placed an order online for Buy 2 Get 1 free. But noticed I didn't get the offer. I reported the issue to Ulta Cust Svc immediately. Their response was basically too late and too bad. Something to do with time zone differences, but when I ordered the items, the offer was still advertised. They gave me no consideration and told me I could return items at their store, which is across town for me and super inconvenient. Extremely poor service and horrible experience. Worst I've had from online shopping.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Frustrating website to order from. First of all, it took me forever to even sign up. The password requirements are ridiculous! It took me over 5 tries to make a password that worked. Second, the pages take forever to load and sometimes, when it finally does load, it only brings me to an "error" page. I did consider the fact that it could've just been my connection, but all my other webpages were loading. Also, it kept signing me out whenever I opened a product in another tab! My biggest problem is that where I'm from, there are little to no places to purchase makeup from, which leaves me no choice but to order from online.

Sephora doesn't ship to where I'm from, but Ulta does. Ulta has a good selection but unfortunately, the website itself just downright sucks. Another thing I didn't like was how I only got $3.00 off my entire purchase. Ordering clothes online, I can usually take upwards of $50 off with coupons. Makeup is EXPENSIVE and they only offer coupons that take $3 off? I absolutely hated that. One more thing, I wanted it to be shipped to my P.O. Box at USPS but the tracking # they provided is through UPS which I've never even used before.

Original review: March 5, 2019

Sebastian Plus Hairspray that I wanted was not on floor & Kale went out of way to search & found the correct kind that I wanted. It was also sale 2 for one & brought me two cans. Since I just had knee replacement surgery saved me from searching other stores.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I used to weekly visit Ulta stores to purchase my makeup. The color of my makeup has not been in stock often in the stores for the last year. So I decided to place an order online and have it delivered to my house so I didnt have to continue to shop at 2 of their locations that didnt keep in stock my color. I placed the order online and watched as it was tracked to be delivered. Well I noticed the day it was supposed to be delivered it was for some reason being shipped to my old address. I called customer service to ask for help to see what I needed to do or what they could do to get my order shipped to correct address.

I talked to a CSR and a manager and they were very unprofessional, both telling me to go to the old address and get the shipment, (Old address is an hour away from my new address.) I called UPS to stop the shipment and I was told that the sender is the only one that can stop and change shipment. Ulta did not want to stop shipment and told me it was my responsibility to go get the items I ordered, and also that I had to pay for the order even though I did not and will not receive it. Horrible customer service and management. I will definitely NEVER step foot in an ULTA and NEVER recommend this place to anyone. When the name ULTA is ever mentioned in front of me I will tell this story. Horrible experience.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I placed a large order which included 3 gifts with purchase. After watching the tracking for days, it said that the contents were damaged and being returned to Ulta. Thoroughly disappointed that my order wasn't safely packaged I contacted customer service. They said they would only re-ship the products and not the gifts. I told them that the gifts with purchase were the reason that Ulta was able to upsell me, so it's a bait & switch to pull them away after purchasing. I was told they would email me an e-gift card as an apology.

After the whole thing was done, I wrote back and asked where my gift card was and Billie ** with customer service told me that much like my original purchase, they weren't sending it after all. I went from 0 to 'Platinum' status in less than a month - how much would I have spent over the course of 12 months? And they throw it away to save a couple free gifts??? Save the headache - shop at Sephora or Bluemercury where they care about customers!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I was trying to purchase some items for my daughter and my credit card kept be rejected so I figured maybe they dont take my type of card, I just decided to purchase a gift card instead. Still didn't go through. Spoke to rep who would escalate the problem and I get a email saying I violated their terms and agreements and I'm totally confused as to what I have done because I dont understand what I violated.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I have been a long time platinum member for Ulta for years and have even gotten the Ulta credit card for added points because I buy all my cosmetic and hair care products at Ulta. In August of last year for whatever reason Ulta stopped sending me emails and catalog mail ads completely. It appears I have been blacklisted. In September I never received a birthday promotion like Ulta states on their website for platinum member, so I had to call about that. In the meantime I’ve called 4x’s and have sent multiple emails to your customer service department to try and resolve the matter and to date nothing has been resolved.

On 1/28/19 I called customer service again and spoke to another rep who gave me reference # ** and assured me someone will be in contact 24-48 hours and I still have not received a call or email from Ulta. I called your customer service department today and asked to speak to a manager and was transferred to Tyisha in South Carolina who had a very dry and emphatic attitude and claimed they are still looking into it. She didn’t give any type of reassurance that the matter would be looked into and claimed the mail catalogs were sent from corporate and claimed that she would send something to them to get them to look into to.

After the last attempt to reach Ulta customer service, I did receive a call from a lady who claimed to be in corporate 1/29/19 who told me she was looking into the matter and promised she would call me back and let me know what is going on. She never called again. I’m not sure how many more platforms I have to go on to get some type of positive customer service and an answer to my problems and questions! It been 6 months and I’ve been basically begging for Ulta to send me the emails and catalogs like they used to so I can stop missing out on deals and start shopping more there. But this point I am pretty much done. I have paid off my credit card and canceling it and I will take my money to Sephora!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

About four months ago I decided to get an Ulta credit card. After using it the first time I went online and opened up my account to add in all my information. Well after I made the first payment I noticed it never came out of my account so I called. I talked to a man who said I had typed in my bank account number wrong so they suspended my account. He proceeded to tell me that after making 3 months worth of payments and them all clearing my account that everything would go back to normal and my account would no longer be suspended. I have now made over 3 payments and completely paid the card off. Last week I went in to Ulta and went to use my card and it was declined. No longer will I be using the card or visiting Ulta. I will take my business somewhere else! This is just absolutely ridiculous and I don't have time to be embarrassed in the store every time I try to use my card.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I went into Ulta today to purchase a face powder. They tried to sell me a $39 liquid foundation. I then found an Ulta compact in the perfect shade. They had promo all over Ulta stating free gift with $19.50 purchase. When I went to make the purchase over $30 they told no free gift. I called customer service as I feel this is a scam and they told me the store should have the freebie. Customer service could not ship freebie since I didn’t purchase online. I will be returning the purchase and buying at Sephora. It’s a shame that customer service refused to make me whole due to their advertising. Too much drama.

Ulta Beauty Company Information