1.49/5

ulta.com

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

385 Ulta Beauty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 23, 2019

I decided to purchase this moisturizer in the Ulta store, got home only to look up the reviews and price via internet. My gosh. Took me by surprise to learn by ordering it online I could have save saved half the money. This should be illegal to do so. I will be taking it back, but because I like the way it feels I will reorder online. So I have used it for 4 days, I can wait for the mail order.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I was told by two managers at my interview, that you would get one weekend a month off at Ulta. Well needless to say that never happened and was told by the District manager that was not true! Ulta needs to train its managers more! They do not have any sort of orientation for new employees, you just have to find things out on your own. I do not recommend working for Ulta! Discounts are great but that is about it!

Get expert buying tips about Makeup Brands delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: March 10, 2019

I placed an order online for Buy 2 Get 1 free. But noticed I didn't get the offer. I reported the issue to Ulta Cust Svc immediately. Their response was basically too late and too bad. Something to do with time zone differences, but when I ordered the items, the offer was still advertised. They gave me no consideration and told me I could return items at their store, which is across town for me and super inconvenient. Extremely poor service and horrible experience. Worst I've had from online shopping.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Frustrating website to order from. First of all, it took me forever to even sign up. The password requirements are ridiculous! It took me over 5 tries to make a password that worked. Second, the pages take forever to load and sometimes, when it finally does load, it only brings me to an "error" page. I did consider the fact that it could've just been my connection, but all my other webpages were loading. Also, it kept signing me out whenever I opened a product in another tab! My biggest problem is that where I'm from, there are little to no places to purchase makeup from, which leaves me no choice but to order from online.

Sephora doesn't ship to where I'm from, but Ulta does. Ulta has a good selection but unfortunately, the website itself just downright sucks. Another thing I didn't like was how I only got $3.00 off my entire purchase. Ordering clothes online, I can usually take upwards of $50 off with coupons. Makeup is EXPENSIVE and they only offer coupons that take $3 off? I absolutely hated that. One more thing, I wanted it to be shipped to my P.O. Box at USPS but the tracking # they provided is through UPS which I've never even used before.

Original review: March 5, 2019

Sebastian Plus Hairspray that I wanted was not on floor & Kale went out of way to search & found the correct kind that I wanted. It was also sale 2 for one & brought me two cans. Since I just had knee replacement surgery saved me from searching other stores.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ulta Beauty?

Original review: March 1, 2019

I used to weekly visit Ulta stores to purchase my makeup. The color of my makeup has not been in stock often in the stores for the last year. So I decided to place an order online and have it delivered to my house so I didnt have to continue to shop at 2 of their locations that didnt keep in stock my color. I placed the order online and watched as it was tracked to be delivered. Well I noticed the day it was supposed to be delivered it was for some reason being shipped to my old address. I called customer service to ask for help to see what I needed to do or what they could do to get my order shipped to correct address.

I talked to a CSR and a manager and they were very unprofessional, both telling me to go to the old address and get the shipment, (Old address is an hour away from my new address.) I called UPS to stop the shipment and I was told that the sender is the only one that can stop and change shipment. Ulta did not want to stop shipment and told me it was my responsibility to go get the items I ordered, and also that I had to pay for the order even though I did not and will not receive it. Horrible customer service and management. I will definitely NEVER step foot in an ULTA and NEVER recommend this place to anyone. When the name ULTA is ever mentioned in front of me I will tell this story. Horrible experience.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I placed a large order which included 3 gifts with purchase. After watching the tracking for days, it said that the contents were damaged and being returned to Ulta. Thoroughly disappointed that my order wasn't safely packaged I contacted customer service. They said they would only re-ship the products and not the gifts. I told them that the gifts with purchase were the reason that Ulta was able to upsell me, so it's a bait & switch to pull them away after purchasing. I was told they would email me an e-gift card as an apology.

After the whole thing was done, I wrote back and asked where my gift card was and Billie ** with customer service told me that much like my original purchase, they weren't sending it after all. I went from 0 to 'Platinum' status in less than a month - how much would I have spent over the course of 12 months? And they throw it away to save a couple free gifts??? Save the headache - shop at Sephora or Bluemercury where they care about customers!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I was trying to purchase some items for my daughter and my credit card kept be rejected so I figured maybe they dont take my type of card, I just decided to purchase a gift card instead. Still didn't go through. Spoke to rep who would escalate the problem and I get a email saying I violated their terms and agreements and I'm totally confused as to what I have done because I dont understand what I violated.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I have been a long time platinum member for Ulta for years and have even gotten the Ulta credit card for added points because I buy all my cosmetic and hair care products at Ulta. In August of last year for whatever reason Ulta stopped sending me emails and catalog mail ads completely. It appears I have been blacklisted. In September I never received a birthday promotion like Ulta states on their website for platinum member, so I had to call about that. In the meantime I’ve called 4x’s and have sent multiple emails to your customer service department to try and resolve the matter and to date nothing has been resolved.

On 1/28/19 I called customer service again and spoke to another rep who gave me reference # ** and assured me someone will be in contact 24-48 hours and I still have not received a call or email from Ulta. I called your customer service department today and asked to speak to a manager and was transferred to Tyisha in South Carolina who had a very dry and emphatic attitude and claimed they are still looking into it. She didn’t give any type of reassurance that the matter would be looked into and claimed the mail catalogs were sent from corporate and claimed that she would send something to them to get them to look into to.

After the last attempt to reach Ulta customer service, I did receive a call from a lady who claimed to be in corporate 1/29/19 who told me she was looking into the matter and promised she would call me back and let me know what is going on. She never called again. I’m not sure how many more platforms I have to go on to get some type of positive customer service and an answer to my problems and questions! It been 6 months and I’ve been basically begging for Ulta to send me the emails and catalogs like they used to so I can stop missing out on deals and start shopping more there. But this point I am pretty much done. I have paid off my credit card and canceling it and I will take my money to Sephora!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

About four months ago I decided to get an Ulta credit card. After using it the first time I went online and opened up my account to add in all my information. Well after I made the first payment I noticed it never came out of my account so I called. I talked to a man who said I had typed in my bank account number wrong so they suspended my account. He proceeded to tell me that after making 3 months worth of payments and them all clearing my account that everything would go back to normal and my account would no longer be suspended. I have now made over 3 payments and completely paid the card off. Last week I went in to Ulta and went to use my card and it was declined. No longer will I be using the card or visiting Ulta. I will take my business somewhere else! This is just absolutely ridiculous and I don't have time to be embarrassed in the store every time I try to use my card.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I went into Ulta today to purchase a face powder. They tried to sell me a $39 liquid foundation. I then found an Ulta compact in the perfect shade. They had promo all over Ulta stating free gift with $19.50 purchase. When I went to make the purchase over $30 they told no free gift. I called customer service as I feel this is a scam and they told me the store should have the freebie. Customer service could not ship freebie since I didn’t purchase online. I will be returning the purchase and buying at Sephora. It’s a shame that customer service refused to make me whole due to their advertising. Too much drama.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I ordered from Ulta on Feb 10. Feb 12 got an email that it had shipped. Feb 14 got an email that it had been transferred to my local post office. As of Feb 21, I had no package. So I went to my local post office. Gave them the tracking number. Turns out my "local post office" where it was turned over to is in California. I live in Hawaii. USPS said it was still in transit, and could take up to six weeks because the package was placed on a boat as opposed to a plane due to Ulta shipping orders.

When I contacted Ulta, I was told it was because I live "overseas" and those deliveries can take a "long time". I have ordered from Sephora, Lush, Amazon, and Overstock and NONE of those took longer than two weeks, and that was the very few times something went wrong. Most time I had my package in less than a week. If I had any idea that Ulta would use "overseas" as an excuse, I would have never ordered. I can't even imagine what's going to happen if my order is broken or wrong. Ulta, your excuse is unacceptable. Hawaii is part of the United States, and many other companies do not use excuses.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

After reading other reviews it seems that there are several reasons not to purchase from this company but I was told a product I wanted was in their stock so I ordered. My only complaint (so far) is that my product has sat in transit for 2 days in a location that is literally 20 mins from where I live. Why???

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I have been a longtime customer of Ulta and I am also a shareholder. So I generally want this company to do well but my recent experience gave me the impression that ulta is not interested in building a loyal customer base but rather looks for a quick buck. I bought several items online totaling more than 200$ and a problem with the credit card occurred. Wrong billing address. I immediately called them to cancel and the associate assured me that the sale was cancelled since it was within a 2 hour window. Right after I get a call from my credit card company verifying if fraud was involved. I told them no not fraud but that the sale had been cancelled by ulta due to card mixup.

Next day instead of confirmation of cancellation letter I get a confirmation of shipping. Meanwhile I had placed the identical order again with a card that worked because Christmas was coming up. So now two identical parcels ordered in Illinois went to an address in California. I called them again complaining that the first sale had gone through even though it was cancelled according to them. They promised a free shipping label I could forward to the recipient so that they can return the item free of charge. Not what one wants to do if you want to give a gift. No label was sent. After christmas I called again. They promised a label. It never was sent.

So I asked the recipient of the gift to bring it to an ulta store in CA and if they need my credit card number I can give it over the phone even though all the info is also on the label in the box. He offers to put me on. They declined to take my number. Now I instructed the credit card company to dispute the charge. I have had it. They are a totally dishonest company.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Make-up burned my hands. When I asked the lady she said it was for all skin type but she lied. My face got red 10 minutes after putting it on on my way out. OMG. I was making a u-turn to leave and saw two girls jump inside the dumpster and one guy standing as being their bodyguard. My husband told me he would be afraid to let me go alone and I myself will not go. This store is located in Long Island Huntington but my daughter in-law had already told me that she's got friends in there that take stuff through the back door to other friends. Ulta should be more afraid of the zombies they have out back and their workers. SMH. Please don't buy anything from the people. They don't care about no one. If they did they would give their customer the truth. They will be hearing from my lawyer.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I placed an order on Ulta.com and received a shipping confirmation. I put the right address but I realized that I had forgotten to include the business name. Within minutes of placing my order I called Ulta customer service to simply ADD ON to my shipping info. They told me they could NOT so they told me to call the carrier and see if they could add on to the shipping info. UPS wouldn't be of any help. So 2 hours later I called Ulta to officially cancel my order and they told me it was now cancelled and that I would receive a notice of cancellation via email. Never received the email. Later that night I get a shipping confirmation that my order shipped! The NERVE. Sticking to Sephora from now on.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

My husband & I placed an order on Ulta Beauty. After a couple weeks, I called to see what the status was. The customer service rep said the package was damaged so they would have to reorder it. I asked them to do so and then waited for the next package to arrive. Again, no package and this time an email was sent stating it was damaged again. The customer service rep said they could not put another order in so I spoke with the supervisor who reassured me it would arrive within 3 days. Still, no package and an email stating it was damaged. Ulta is definitely a company that needs to step up and compensate for our troubles and send the package we ordered. We are two furious would-have-been customers!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I used to only buy from Ulta because of their service and respectful employees. I recently made an online purchase of over $1,100 and received an email saying my order was cancelled. I called their customer service line and a lady from Virginia answered and was extremely rude! All I asked was for them to either push my order through or give me my coupon back to reuse but go to an actual store and she told me since my card was different from my regular card they can’t do anything. I went on to ask if I use the same card that’s attached to my account if they can give me my coupon or switch the payment and she put a different lady on the phone who then asked me “did you not hear me the first time.”

Not only am I extremely pissed off, I’m disappointed in Ulta when they always say they stand behind their customer service! But then later I sent an email to them asking yet again if I can change my payment or get a new coupons and they simply responded that the items are out of stock when I ordered them. This is a completely different story than what the rude lady on the phone told me AND she ignores the fact of even giving me back my coupon! This is terrible customer service! All I was asking for was a new coupon to repurchase my product and they can’t even do that. I WILL NEVER SHOP HERE AGAIN! And I highly recommend none of you reading this do either, don’t allow this store to take advantage of you when you spend thousands of dollars there!! DO NOT SHOP AT ULTA!!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Late fee charged after I closed account. They didn't indicate I had any balance and said my account was clear. One month later I get a late charge. Needless to say this is one of the reasons that big box stores are closing. I will not go back. They scam you with the 22% offer and then they don't close account when asked. I won't be back.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I took my daughter to Ulta on 1-26-19 to get a specific hair color done. I got there and waited for my stylist to show up. I showed her a picture of what we wanted the hair to look like. It was supposed to be a toasted marshmallow look, the stylist named Kaitlin said, "No problem let me get you a quote." She came back with an upcharged quote of 175.00. I said that is really expensive, but if you are sure about being able to do it then I will pay the price. She never told me what she used on my daughter's hair, she took the foils out and there was pink everywhere.

Kaitlin then came back and put something on her hair that did not wash out the pink but washed out the blonde that was there and turned the rest of the color to peanut butter. Then said well at least I did not set it on fire and how do you feel about pink hair? I said no pink hair! Kaitlin then went and got another bottle of something and I asked her what is that you are putting on her hair she said green to counteract the pink. Which all it did was tone it to dark red. Kaitlin then cut my daughter's hair to try and cover it up. Kaitlin knew we did not want any length cut off. Only dead ends.

So I spoke with the manager who said I looked at the pictures and it looks great. Well you cant tell by pictures. In person though it is pink and peanut butter and damaged. The manager said all we can do is try to correct the color. I told her no one will ever touch her hair again and asked for a refund. She refused and basically called me a liar. I was not even offered any way or advised on what products to use. PLEASE DO NOT GO TO ULTA FOR HAIR COLORING!!!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I bought a bottle of perfume ($52) at Ulta Gateway Shopping Center today. Opened what appeared to be brand new packaging - completely sealed. 5 minutes later in my car in the parking lot and it was a completely empty bottle. Immediately went back inside the store to return it and have my money returned. The so-called manager (a kid) didn't believe me and intimated I returned my own empty bottle. Would not refund my money even with receipt dated and timed 5-minutes earlier. Basically said I was lying. Clearly, the bottle completely leaked during production or shipping. There is no other explanation for this. Look -- I am 63 years old, affluent, educated with a PhD, and don't need to swindle a cheap cosmetic store out of $52. She finally relinquished and credited my debit card. Will never step foot in that store again. You do business with a cheap store - you get cheap help and cheap customer service.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

Ulta emailed me their website was offering a free gift with a $50 online purchase. I decided to place an online order (instead of going physically in the store) as to take advantage of the free gift so I placed an order of over $80 (3 items). A few days later a package arrived but it had no free gift in it. I called customer service and they said they ran out of gifts and there was nothing they could do. I placed the order 2.5 hrs after their promotion started and they had already ran out of gifts. This was very misleading - a good company when running a promotion would make sure it had enough quantities for its customers or while placing the order they would have notified its customers they ran out of the free gift. I would not place the order for $80 if it weren't for the free gift and would have only bought the item I needed. I will be returning all of the items tomorrow and won't be shopping at Ulta or ulta.com again. I have been their customer for 5.5 years.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I have been a loyal customer with Ulta, spending enough that I am in their Platinum Reward status. On Wednesday, January 23, 2019, I was trying to place an order and use $80.00 worth of points from the rewards program. I accidentally entered the wrong CV code on my CC. I tried to correct but the order wouldn’t go through. Right away, I called Customer Service that I was trying to place the order but the system was saying that I didn’t have any redeemable points.

The representative told me it can take up to 24 hours for points to re-set and before I can use them. Waited 24 hours and still couldn’t redeem so called them. Representative apologized that I was told this and that it can take up to 48 hours for points to be reset. Ok, wait 48 hours and still can’t redeem. Again, called and now told it takes Up to 30 days to re-set the points! Are you kidding me? I imagine that in 30 days and still unable to redeem my $80.00, they will come up with another time frame. What a sad way to treat a good customer!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I recently made a purchase that initially I was going to the store for. But they had a promotion going on. If you spend 50 dollars you get and it's 50 dollars for free shipping. So win win you would think. Got my package. No free promotion in the package. Called customer service. Was told that I didn't add it the bag. And there was nothing that could be done. I remembered adding it to the bag, as I was looking forward to trying out this promotional deal.

Asked to speak to a manager that told me the item could been out of stock. I told him how disappointed I was and how I am a long standing customer. If I could be given another promotion. To which I got a quick no. I understand to some degree. But in the business of people, "The customer is always right" and in the era of social media, Youtube, and makeup being sold everywhere. They should be better suited, to make sure every customer has a pleasant experience. And feels like they are not getting misleading promotions. I am very dissatisfied with how my matter was dealt with.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

My daughter and I went to the location in Owings Mills. No one approach us, asking if we needed help. One sales clerk was straightening out a shelve. I ask for assistance finding an item. All she did was point to the location. Never tried to show me and my daughter exactly where the item was located. Then another clerk was just conversing with the cashier laughing having fun. I told my daughter let's see how long it will take for them to notice us. After 45 minutes walking around the store. Unable to find what we were looking for, my daughter approach one of the sales clerks to ask for assistance.

I was about to leave but my daughter felt it was rude and disrespectful, so she complains to the clerk. That's when she briefly help us find what we was looking for. I and my daughter decided never to go back to that store. Instead of spending the amount we had plan, we only got that one item we were helped with and left the store. They do not even deserve a full star... maybe a half star. That location will never see us ever again and I mentioned it to several of my friends. I can see that location will not be open for very long all because of the type of service and greeting you get from the people of that location. I will drive half an hour away to another location because I know I will get much better customer service.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

My daughter had a $20 gift card. The total, even with shipping was under the gift card. The site made me give a credit card or go through Pay Pay, even though I didn't owe money. After I went through Pay Pay, it added tax, which went over the gift card. I don't currently have enough in my account to cover the tax. I've tried to cancel, and they won't let me. Now, I'll be getting a bank fee. I'm very upset, because we have had one financial windfall after another.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

In the past I ordered certain brands from Ulta as well as shopped in their stores occasionally. Twice in the past six months I have tried to place an order - the first time they wouldn't take my credit card after all the time I spent figuring out what I wanted, and I didn't have time to deal with it. Last week I tried again, this time following up when my credit card did not go through again, which I used right before and right afterward that same day with no issues. So I called them and I was told customer relations would get back to me in up to 7 days!

They finally sent me an email which in part said "There are several reasons that we may need to revoke someone’s ability to make purchases online, including where Ulta Beauty suspects potential abuse of online purchasing." I wrote them back as this is ridiculous - I was trying to order two bottles of foundation - my credit is perfect and I order almost everything online, never have I come across anything like this. They didn't care and just repeated the same garbage - this company is so bad and I put up with their rude staff in the past because I just wanted to get what I needed and get out of there - but I am completely done with them.

And after reading the reviews here, I see I am not alone. Last time I was in the Palm Desert store it was pretty much deserted and the girl didn't seem to want to help me - in fact said that the foundation I wanted wasn't right for me - and it has been the best I've ever found. No matter, I can get it elsewhere and obviously will be. Apparently their customer service is making a lot of people upset - it used to be a very busy store and now it is not.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Went to order a product online. Chose overnight shipping. This was Thursday, product not arriving until Tuesday and they charged 16$ for expedited shipping. Called to change as there is no reason to pay for shipping costs if it's going to arrive that late and they did nothing. They advise that overnight shipping can still take 3-4 business days. I do most of my shopping online and NEVER had that issue. Never again will I use this company.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I saw a hair dryer that was marked down. I proceeded to the check out counter to purchase the hair dryer. On the tag it said was 89.97 and now 39.97. The cashier rang up the hair dryer and told me that it would 146.00! I told her that the marked price was 39.97. She called the manager and she told me that there was a one in front of the 39.97. Which clearly was not visible. I told the cashier that they should correct because they would not honor the price marked. I would not have been so upset if it would not have been the fact that the cashier and store manager were unprofessional and rude. I will not go back to the Ulta on Memorial and Penn in Oklahoma City.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I purchased a hair dryer at Ulta. It doesn't matter which one, as my review is not about the dryer. When I got home and opened it, the plastic bag containing the hair dryer had been ripped open. Upon further inspection, I found lint on the lint screen. I still wanted to try the hair dryer to see if I liked it, but it didn't work. I could not get it to turn on. Tried different outlets in the house. Nothing. So someone purchased this item, used it long enough to accumulate lint on the screen, returned it, and Ulta put it back out on their shelf. This is not the first time I have purchased something at Ulta, only to get home and find out it had been used. I am done with this store.

Ulta Beauty Company Information