Spiegel

Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I used to order from Spiegel all the time. Never again. The items I got were far too small to have been a simple sizing problem. They were of such poor quality. I would not have worn them anyhow. I received, as others did, a note saying nothing was returnable as stated on their website, but I had to really dig to find that disclaimer. Spiegel now sells junk clothing, with bad sizing, that cannot be returned. Don't waste your time or money!

I ordered pants from Shape FX. I ordered the size of every single pair of pants I own. These pants didn't even fit my calf. It was obviously mis-marked in size. I understand some materials can vary but this was not the case. They had no concern about misleading customers and stood fast to their policy. The jacket was a little snug but could make it work. Never again.

I placed an order for a skirt and a coat February 2014. Product was "In stock" yet took till June to receive. Immediately after I received I tried on and did not like quality and sent back. I have emailed over 20 times and told they are moving and on the "quick response" list. 1 year anniversary coming up and no refund yet!

I ordered a pair of black Shape FX pants from Spiegel in a size that I chose according to the size guide they published. The pants arrived today together with a letter saying that they could not be returned. I cannot believe this policy! I went online and found many complaints about the business practices of this company. I used to buy from Newport News catalog for years and years and was always more than satisfied. Now, if I google Newport News I get Spiegel which is why I ordered from them. I hope something can be done about this obviously unethical company.

I have sent 21 emails requesting the status of my returned items that fit poorly and bad quality. I have got no response! There is NO phone number to call. They have the product back now for over 4 months! DO NOT BUY from this company!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spiegel?

Be advise - do not buy from this crappy company. Their clothing sizes are not accurate. The quality is VERY LOW. When you need to return, refund or exchange THIS IS A GHOST COMPANY. There is not a phone # to call. I send an email and I received an automatic message that "is a final sale." I contact Amazon (I paid through Amazon) and the representative told me to call my bank. I called my bank and my money is safe in my pocket. RESUMEN. GET AWAY FROM SPIEGEL.

Early this year I place an online order with Spiegel which I have done a lot of times without a problem. The money was withdrawn from my account but I never received the item. I tried to call them but the phone number was not in service. Later I was told that the item was out of stock and I would receive a refund.

Needless to say I did not receive either.

In the April edition of Redbook, they featured actress Lauren Conrad wearing a summer outfit consisting of a button down shirt and shorts. I liked the shorts and in their shop the issue article they posted that I could buy the shorts from spiegel.com for $24.00. On March 19, 2015 I placed an order at spiegel.com for the shorts (Maggie Shorts by Spiegel). I received an order confirmation by email and the delivery date was March 26 to March 31st. Before my delivery date, I went onto spiegel.com just to browse and the website stated that they were having difficulty with their site and a delay in shipping. I tried to check the new delivery date of my order and was not able to get into my account. I tried to check on the order status and was not able to get any info. I send an email to the customer service dept and did not receive a reply, I did notice that there was NO phone number to call them either.

Now I was getting worried about using my credit card to place this order. I kept checking my credit card to see if my order was charged on my card. Finally I received an order update that said my order was shipped on April 1, 2015 which also included the shipping method which was UPSMI and a tracking number. Also I noticed that my credit card was charged the amount for my order. Nine days later I still have not received my order, so I tracked my order and it came up NO RESULTS. I immediately called my credit card company and they have temporarily taken the Spiegel charge off my card and cancelled my order. I wish I had read the reviews first before I placed my order.

I placed an order with the Spiegel two weeks ago. I had just got a promotion and needed some affordable office attire. After ten days without the charge being processed I emailed the company asking if there were any issues with my form of payment. No reply. I waited a few more days and called Amazon to inquire as they processed my payment. They gave me two phone numbers for Spiegel but they were disconnected. They emailed the company with no result. I tried to cancel my order on the Spiegel site but they don't provide that as an option. I'm waiting for Amazon to refund my money.

I have no clue whether Spiegel ever planned on fulfilling my order. I have no clue how this company even stays afloat. As for me, I start my promotion tomorrow and I don't have anything appropriate to wear because I held off purchasing new clothes in case Spiegel actually came throughout. My order was well over $300. Now I'm stuck in limbo. Spiegel really screwed me over.

I placed an order on March 8th, through Amazon Payments, and received an immediate confirmation email. I sent an email on March 21st asking where my order was. It's March 26th and I have no order and no response to my email. Amazon customer service says they have no record of the order and I have to contact Spiegel directly, so here I am, stuck. Oh, and the "My Account" link on their webpage? Doesn't work. Spiegel used to be a respectable catalog-order company when I was a kid; they have fallen so unbelievably far it's shameful. I wish I had read the reviews here before ordering, as well as the Forbes article on the company's current owner.

I ordered merchandise from Spiegels 10.19.13, not of the merchandise fit. So I returned it as indicated on their website, which there is no phone number to contact them, only an email address.

I returned all the merchandise totaling $97.35 & it cost me $11.41 to return the merchandise. The address to return is: 107 Industry ct, Goldsboro, NC 275309124... and it was signed by: **... I emailed them several times and the same response as always - "your request for assistance has been received & we will contact you shortly with a resolution. Your request has been assigned. Thank you for choosing Spiegel. Sincerely Customer Service Department Spigel, LLC Monday-Friday 9 am-5 pm EST." I also sent a letter on 12.31.14 to Spiegel & explained all this with copies of my order and UPS proof of delivery to Spiegels. And no one has contacted me back. It says in their return policy 2 weeks to process.

I am taking this up with my credit card company now. Cannot believe such poor customer service. When I emailed them again on 03.04.15 it said my refund would be processed in 2 business days, yet has not happened to date - 03.26.15... I will never purchase merchandise from them again..

Made an order on February 8, 2015. Check out said 2 to 3 days for delivery so I was happy to see this. After waiting 3 days no merchandise, so I went to my account and it was changed to the 13th to the 19th. This is the 27th, and they send the same email saying someone is assigned to my inquiry. Still no real reply other than it hasn't been shipped out on my account. There is no phone number to contact the company, but they have my money, and there is no way to cancel your order. I think this is a fraudulent website, in order to get your banking information.

I placed an order January 26, 2015 and it is now Feb. 22, 2015 and have yet to get it. My order payment said Amazon and I was given an order number. Today I contacted Amazon who gave me a phone number to a so called Spiegel Rep. He claimed he did not have my order number and I asked for a refund yet he could not tell me my card number. I even told this young man he was very unprofessional and at that point I hung up. I think someone is using to scam people out of their money. I even contacted Spiegel Online and never hear from them period. I am very upset about this so I am contacting Consumer Protection ASAP.

Update - I never heard from Spiegel....but the good thing is that I didn't get charged for products. I will never order from them again.

T. of Farmington Hills, MI on

Original Review

On January 7, I placed an order via Spiegel website and I paid using my Amazon account. Estimated shipping was Jan. 14-19, 2015. I never received any updates on the shipment, no tracking number... I emailed the customer service department at Spiegel, and no answer... I contacted Amazon and they said, "Ma'am, all you did was have your order payment processed through us but you must contact Spiegel for info on shipment." I called headquarters in New York and left a voicemail and still no one has answered or returned my call. I guess, I am out of $93. If anyone could help me get my money back this would be great. I will never ever order from them again... I am so upset.

I wish I had read the reviews before I ordered from Spiegel. They are NOT the company they used to be. I received a jumpsuit on Dec 18, 2014. The quality seemed cheap and I mailed it back the following day - priority mail. Even though it was delivered and signed for on 12/22/2014, I did not receive any acknowledgement from Spiegel. On 1/5/2015 I sent an email stating that 2 weeks had passed and their return policy states it takes 2 weeks to process a return. NO response. I sent a scathing email on 1/7/15 and again, NO response. Fortunately, I had charged the item to my credit card. I contacted them and after explaining the situation and providing them with the tracking number, the entire charge was reversed back to Spiegel and I was given a permanent credit. Always, always use a credit card. Needless to say, I will NEVER buy from Spiegel again!!

I purchase two dresses from Spiegel.com in November 2013. I received both items but 1 dress was too large and I requested to exchange it for a smaller size. Spiegel does not do exchanges, only returns so you will have to return and reorder. Also Spiegel does not provide return labels. You must go to your local post office and pay to have it shipped back to our return address, Spiegel Returns Department at 107 Industry Court GOLDSBORO, NC 27530. I returned item per their instructions. Item was returned to Spiegel 02-06-2014 and signed for by T. **; but I have not received my refund yet. After many, many emails, I did receive a reply April 2, 2014 indicating that I would receive my refund in a couple of days and as of today Oct. 24, 2014 I have not received a refund yet. This has been going on for almost 1 year...I sure hope this issue is resolved.

Returned merchandise - UPS Tracking documenting receipt by Spiegel's Returns Dept on 5/21/2014. Have inquired 5 times via email (only contact information provided) as to status of the pending credit - 7/24, 7/28, 8/11, 8/25, 9/5. Return acknowledged on 7/28 and advised "Refunds will be completed within the next few business weeks. Thank you for our patience". On 9/5 I checked the Case online and noted that the case had been closed. I advised that the case had, in fact, not been resolved. I received an automated response stating "Your request for assistance has been received and we will contact you shortly with a resolution. Your request has been assigned. Thank you for choosing Spiegel." As of today I have not heard anything further and the request for assistance still shows as closed.

This has been going on since March 2014. Two returns, no refund. As you know they do not answer the phone at customer service. Finally an email confirmation was received saying I'd have the refund in a few weeks. It's now Sept. I've contacted the BBB and will continue to post this message on every forum. Buyer beware!!!

I made two purchases from Spiegel about the 23rd of July. Did not work for me so returned. It was returned and accepted by Spiegel on August 4th. I sent several emails to Spiegel with the tracking number from post office. They sent me several emails stating refund is on the way, but yet still waiting. I use to order from Spiegel years ago and never had this problem. Returns would be credited within 2 weeks, and you could actually talk to a person. I would love to join in class action suit. This company is ripping people off, something has to be done about it.

After reading some of the post about Spiegel and their refund policies I wish I had done further research before ordering. On April 23, 2014 I purchased some items from Spiegel that didn't fit. I was willing to exchange them but decided to just return the items instead. I spent $108.93. The items were received around the 30 April 2014. I returned the items as instructed by customer service and sent them overnight delivery to ensure they received the items well before the 30 day return period.

The items were received on 5 May 2014. I sent an email to Customer service on June 23, 2014 after waiting the allotted time for them to receive and process the return. The items returned were Style# B7633, Jada Pant for a size 12, Style# 55073, stretch sateen capris in brown and Style# 24790, Skinny Pant by Shape. I was told they had received the items and would be processing my refund within the next few business days. I sent another email on August 4, 2014 and still nothing. As of today 5 September 2014 I have not received my refund or heard anything else from Spiegel. I reported them to the BBB and I'm awaiting a response.

Back on May 2014, I ordered $87.47 worth of clothing from Spiegel. I received the items and I did not like the quality of items. Therefore, I returned the items on June 5, 2014 via Fedex. Fedex confirmed the items were received by Spiegel. I have contacted Spiegel via email numerous times to inquire about my return. I have not receive a reply nor have I gotten any refund. It seems that the only way you can communicate with this company is via email.

I place 4 orders. I send back 2 on April. Until today I'm not get my refund... I send some emails, no answer in my question.... Very upset....

This company is a crook. I made two purchases 1/27 & 2/5/14. I returned most of the items for cheap quality and poor fitting and have not received a refund. I keep getting email responses stating a case is opened and I will be refunded, no refund as of 8/5/14. Then the case is closed. No contact numbers are available and can't get help from my credit card company as I waited too long to dispute which was because I continuously received the response from Spiegel. They received the merchandise back on 02/21/14 so I am out of $208.00 and have nothing to show for it. BBB received no response. This is just outright theft.

So in May I bought some things from Spiegel who, up until now, I thought was a legitimate company. Before I purchased I checked out the return policy, which reads that items may be returned for a refund within 30 days. Nothing fit so I returned the whole order. It is now August 3 and I have not received my refund. I have written numerous letters to Spiegel and received no response. Their phone is answered by a recording and you can't leave a message. Company is owned by a billionaire named Lynn Tilton. I have sent her a Facebook message, but don't expect to hear back... So, my point is, don't buy anything from Spiegel or Newport News. If you have a problem with anything you're stuck with it. I would love to participate in a class action suit.

I placed an order with Spiegel online in May 2014. The blouse and dresses that I purchased were too small so I returned them using return receipt on May 31, 2014. The package was signed for on June 5 by a Spiegel employee. On June 15, I emailed Spiegel customer service about my refund and received an email back saying that I should get my refund in a few weeks. Well it is August 2, 2014 and I am still waiting on my refund. It took them 30 seconds to take my money but I have to wait months to get a refund. Something need to be done.

In March, I ordered items from their catalog. Almost all the items were too large so I returned all but one. I contacted Spiegel through email and received info on how to send back. I paid to ship via UPS and have tracking info that it was received on April 8. It is now July 30 and no refund. I have contacted their customer service email 6 times and received same message saying they have opened investigation. Can't find a working phone number.

I have ordered two dresses in May and returned them because they were too big. Returned in the week I ordered. No refund and it is June. I want my refund. I have all of the emails saved. Who wants to join a class action so we can at least get our refunds back?

I had to look up the number. So the phone number is not available for customer concerns and a problem with shipping time was my problem. They use the us mail which takes forever to get your merchandise. I will not do business with this company again.

Don't waste your money buying from Spiegel unless you are throwing money away. If you are throwing money away, I will give you my address and you can send it to me instead of Spiegel. I ordered a nice dress on February 2nd, received the dress and it was not the right size. I did just what they said to do, send it back with a tracking number in a certain amount of time. It is now May 13th and I can pretty much guarantee I will never see my refund. I have written the customer service department since you cannot reach them by phone. The last email said the issue would be resolved in a week - that was in March. Really too bad because the dress was excellent quality and I would likely have re-ordered. Never ever again will I buy from Spiegel.

I placed an order on March 20th. Again I was dissatisfied with one of the items and sent that back the following day, again priority mail. I also paid extra to have confirmation that the items were received. I have not received a refund for either items and limited responses. I have contacted the company via email (the only method of communication) and have received sparse return emails. The emails that were generated appeared to be general emails stating that they were looking into the problem. The last time I hear from them was April 26th.

Spiegel Company Profile