2.08/5

37 Sierra Trading Post Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 4, 2019

When you see all models with their heads chopped off and only black hair it’s a dead giveaway that it’s Japan or China infiltrating their cheap products and no customer service. All lies and fake items!

Original review: April 28, 2019

Horrible return policy for online purchases - not only do you have to pay shipping to receive an item, but you also have to pay $6.95 shipping to return it! In a day and age where most other stores offer free two-way shipping. This was my first purchase from them and I'll never ever buy anything from them again.

Get expert buying tips about Sporting Goods Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Placed an order. Then they cancel the order. They say they need credit card phone number of card used to verify order. I give it to them. They cancel the order. I get credit card company rep on the phone with them. Sierra won't help with placing the new order with the same promo. I ask to speak to Team Lead/Supervisor. They say they have none. This folks is a bottom of the barrel outfit as far as customer service. DO NOT DO business with them. Very unfriendly. Not customer oriented. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. April 2019.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I have been buying from Sierra Trading Post for many years (I would say 20 or more). My last and current experience has been really frustrating. It has been over 7 full business days since my order and the tracking number still says label created but item not received. I made the purchase for an upcoming trip in what seemed to be plenty of time but now the outlook is not good. I called customer service and they were extremely rude and argumentative. They said shipments typically take 5-6 days to show up in the UPS system. That has not been my experience with other sellers and seems unusual. This combined with the crass attitude will have me shopping elsewhere. There are too many good options out there to have to deal with this company. Based on the reviews this seems to be pretty common. Time to move on.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I have tried no less than 20 time to unsubscribe to their emails. I go to unsubscribe, click as directed and still get at least 1 email daily. So frustrating, but it is better than when I was getting multiple emails daily...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sierra Trading Post?

Original review: March 20, 2019

Worst returning experience I've ever had. Charges you for return shipping even though I had free shipping because I spent a certain amount on the site. Incredibly difficult system account system. Said I already had an account when I know for a fact I didn't. Could not create another one and had to log in with Facebook, which I never enjoy doing. Also, almost everything I purchased was too small in brands and sizes that always fit me. Almost seems like they were defect products. Will not shop here ever again.

Original review: March 4, 2019

A merry band of clowns and snake oil salesmen. This was once a fun and consistent company to shop with but they have since careened down a slippery slope and I would never, will never, order from them again. Don't find yourself seduced by those "great prices" as once you place that order, and your credit card information is in their system, you are at their mercy. Perhaps you will see that order someday, perhaps not, either way they are holding your money hostage. Customer service is at about 50% in their competence and helpfulness. You're welcome to take the risk of course, but I wouldn't.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I purchased a pair of boots online and they were too small. I was charged $2.95 to exchange for larger size. I bought another pair of boots, again, did feel right, too narrow. I wanted a refund, but instead, they credited my account, minus the $6.95 they charged for shipping them back. I bought a pair of hiking shoes, as a gift, she didn't like them, so I returned them for an even exchange, knowing I would have to pay an additional $2.95 as well as the cost of the new shoes. That was 2 weeks ago, the tracking shows that they have received the original shoes but my account is still showing the charge for both. I also opened a store card to in order to get rewards towards future purchases, I have already paid more in shipping costs which makes it pointless. Make sure you really want to take the chance of it not fitting before you order!!!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I ordered a pair of Muk-Luk slippers for Christmas gift. Based on previous purchases of this same slipper, I knew to purchase a large. Apparently STP changes the sizes on their website for what they want to sell. I received a "large" but the # sizing was an 8 (all other large shoes have been a 9-10). I wanted to exchange but they did not have a true "large". Gave me a line of crap about how they are all the same size. I shipped them back hoping I would get a full credit but lost the $6.95 shipping fee and the cost of shipping them back on my account. I should've kept them and donated them to a shelter. Have nothing to show and charged the return fee of $6.95 but I paid for the shipping myself. Bull!!! I WILL NEVER SHOP HERE AGAIN!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

We purchased a couple of coats and other items at their West Omaha store. After wearing one of the coats a couple of times, I noticed it shed pieces of fuzz all over my clothes. When I tried to return it, the manager was very rude and claimed that all down coats do that. Refused to give me a refund, an exchange, or do anything to make it right.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Purchased 2 identical Full Swing Armstrong jackets, except for color. These jackets are made in Mexico. Original pricing from Carhartt is about $130. These were closeouts at $49. I received one Full Swing Armstrong jacket and one J001 Detroit blanket lined jacket...Made in USA. I would prefer made in USA gear, but these J001 jackets are not worth the asking price. The Armstrong jacket is sherpa lined, heavy, comfortable and warm. The Detroit J001 jacket is thin, stiff, and makes you look like the uniform delivery guy. What really made me mad was someone thought by sticking stickers with the correct item number over the original Carhartt tag would convince me to accept this J001 jacket. Enclosed a few photos to show the scam...

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I returned all of the items that I ordered the very same day they were delivered (11/29). I used their prepaid return label. Their policy is refund within 2-3 business days of receipt of item. They received the items on 12/4 and finally on 12/21 I received my refund. I called five times, I emailed four times. I had to beg them to refund my money. The people that I spoke with were very nice and helpful, but nothing was done. Also, they charged me $6.95 for the return.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I ordered late night on the 23 which was a Friday. I got a shipping notification four days later on the 27th with tracking information and my package arrived on the 4th. I read some reviews prior to ordering from this company but thought I would try it out as the prices could not be beat! I ordered far enough in advance I thought if something does happen I should still be ok.

I was pleasantly surprised and thought everything from ordering, shipping and arrival I was well informed of via email and the timeframes to get things seemed standard to me for the holidays. No more or less wait time than other retailers I have orders from this season. I was a little weary after reading the poor reviews of about having to wait so long to receive the orders goods however my experience was painless and positive with this company. I would order from them again in a heartbeat. Their selection has a wide range of products and as stated the prices cannot be beat. I’m glad I took a chance on Sierra Trading and I would do it again.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I ordered some items on Nov 17th. Here we are in December 5th and nothing has shipped. I see "get it by Christmas" on the website and chuckle. I placed three separate chats into the Customer Service department and three times they said they would contact the warehouse for information and nothing comes out of the warehouse. The warehouse will not even respond to their own customer service people. This is the 3rd time this has happened in the last year and I am finally giving Sierra Trading Post the old heave ho. This on top of a more stringent return policy, lower inventory levels, lower discounts, and less brands. Hmmmm, hope the loss of customers is worth the cost cuts. We used to buy over $1500 a year from them. Now, zero. Go to Backcountry.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I purchased two sets of trail running shoes several months ago. When I received them, one pair had mismatched sizes. The other had mismatched gender styles. I was in the process of moving so I didn't have time to make a return. Both pairs ended up in the recycling bin. While I was a faithful customer of Sierra Trading Post for many years, I'll be looking elsewhere for deals on outdoor recreation gear from now on. I would encourage others to the do the same.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I purchased several items a week ago. First, they tried to bill me more than what I agreed to pay and I only found out about it through my credit card and not from Sierra Trading Post. Second, almost a week later, they got rid of one of the items in my order, with no communication from Sierra Trading Post. I learned of this mysteriously missing item from my order because I logged into my account (to see if the items have shipped). The item mysteriously missing from my order is still in stock according to the Sierra Trading Post website. I want to give this stuff I ordered as Christmas gifts, but at the rate Sierra Trading Post is going, I will be lucky to get this by 2019. If they don't make good on this order, I will seek legal action. Completely unacceptable. Buyer beware. You are better off at Amazon or other more reputable companies.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Customer service non-existent, if you order online, don't expect your merchandise any time soon, it takes them over a week to actually ship your order plus the actual transit time of your merchandise, and you may not even get all of the items you ordered. I placed 3 separate orders within 2 months period and all 3 orders took over one week to process and ship. 2 of the orders shipped out incomplete... just horrible customer service, supervisors not available and don't return your phone calls.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I bought Carhartt. Overall, cheap quality, was made just to made. I paid 30 and change, include shipping. I send them back, and they refund me 18 bucks, charge return shipping label. First and last time have deal with this company.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Several times now that either myself or the company I represent has found an exceptional deal and several days after purchasing receive an email that says the order has been canceled due to no inventory.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I ordered 2 pair of shorts for my husband in a size he wears. When they arrived and he tried them on they swam on him, fell right off him with button buttoned and zipper zipped. On top of that they were a different color than I ordered. When I went to return them I found out I would only get 1/2 what I paid because they were charging me more to ship them back than they paid to ship to me. Hubby said forget that. We tossed them in the salvation bins hoping someone can use them. I have blacklisted Sierra Trading Post and will never shop or recommend them ever.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I was a devoted user of STP, but no more! I am returning $89 worth of items and being refunded $84. They used to have good customer service and return policy. There are other online places to shop without LOSING money, which is what has happened. Sorry STP, you have lost a customer who has ordered from you for over 15 years!

Original review: June 14, 2018

Returned brand new in package with tags never opened with all forms filled out. The stuff was garbage, cheaply and horribly made. They claimed they issued a refund and never did. Argued and argued and I finally gave up. There is Home Depot, Target, Zappos, countless other easy friendly online retailers. No time for this nonsense.

Original review: April 8, 2018

Read the other reviews. Sierra Trading Co sent me two pairs of pants that were much smaller than marked. I called and they told me to send them and if I was telling the truth, they would refund my money. I sent them back, they refunded $19 of the $24 I paid. Thus I was charged $5 for receiving faulty goods from the company. I usually write positive reviews but have nothing good to say about Sierra.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I’ve been a customer for over 10 years. I recently placed an order on 8 January and it never arrived at my home even though UPS indicated it was left on my doorstep. The particular items in this shipment were for an upcoming ski trip. I contacted customer service & they indicated they would refund my money. They never did. I just arrived home from my ski trip & the pkg is on my doorstep. Apparently, it was delivered to the wrong address in my neighborhood. That neighbor was out of town at time of delivery but dropped off at my house and I received the pkg on 11 February. Obviously, I don’t need the merchandise because I had to purchase locally for the ski trip. All Sierra Trading Post is willing to do for my inconvenience is waive the return shipping fee. Well you just lost a loyal customer. I’ll take my business elsewhere!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

The description on Sierra trading post website says ''100% linen'','' unbleached linen''. The price is $129, made in Portugal. The sticker inside of the duvet does not reflect the description. Actually the fabric content is not mention at all? Please see the picture. The CRep from ''questions about the item'' department was not helpful. She asked me: "What you want me to do?" "Send it back." I feel like I was scammed and don't trust them with a refund.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I had the same issue as Henry of Florida, MA. Don't buy from Sierra Trading Post unless you are 100% confident that you will never need an exchange or return or have 17.00 that you want to give away. Charity would be a better option. Customer service was friendly, but can't do anything about store policies.

Original review: June 22, 2017

I ordered a pair of sandals from Sierra Trading Post (Chaco) and paid $9.95 for the shipping. When I finally got them (it took a while to get here) the sandals were uncomfortable and way too heavy. They felt like a big piece of really heavy plastic on the bottom of my feet. So I decided to return them. I saw a pre-printed return label inside the package and went to process the return at their website. I was informed that I would have to pay an additional $6.95 for the return shipping and that I would only receive $53.04 back after spending $69.94. So, I paid almost $17 just to try on these sandals. I tried speaking with a representative from their company by a chat session and told them of my dissatisfaction, but was told basically that it didn't matter that I was upset. I would not recommend them for a company to work with. They must be a upcharge for their shipping. I think that's really unacceptable.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2016

They are very quick to respond but more importantly their website has information that is very pertinent and easy to understand which alleviates the need for customer service. They seem to know what they are talking about. They have so many products but they have access to information for all of them. Makes it easy to make purchases and get the right product. Loads and loads and loads of stuff to buy. They have easy searchable items and the categories. Love shopping there. Good coupon too. They are primarily online so the hours don't really matter. However the ease of being able to shop online is so convenient and their website is really well done. Have shopped there many many many times.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2016

Great gift ideas for the outdoor person in your life. Great shopping for Christmas time. Love the setup and displays very good customer service! Great setup and displays. First rate industry knowledge about hunting fishing equipment. I love their selection of fishing stuff! Great setups and displays of their items. They have a great selection of products. The hours of operation are just fine with me.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2016

The customer service was topnotch. There were many helpful sales associates that are ready to help you with just about anything. The reps were very knowledgeable about all the products that were offered. They gave their recommendations and offered to show us how to use certain products. There is a wide selection of products. Whatever outdoors stuff you are looking for, you will find it in this store. They have all kinds of tents, shoes, hunting and fishing gear. The hours of operation are convenient. They open around nine in the morning and close around nine at night so you have all day to get there if you need to.

Sierra Trading Post Company Information