Sears Appliance - Microwaves
1.23/5
Based on 56 reviews that contain star ratings

Sears Microwave

71 Sears Appliance - Microwaves Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

The worst customer service ever, my microwave stop working and I have a warranty with them. I called 6 times for that and till now nothing. It has been a month and I'm still fighting for someone to come and fix my microwave.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I have been a faithful Sears customer for years. "Entire kitchen full of new appliances". So I come home 0611/2018 and my under microwave lights are out. I pulled the bulbs, called Sears Parts and ordered these 2 little bulbs "$56.78". During the delivery time I saw them at Bulbs and More for $8.00. I bought them right away and when I got home the Sears package was there. I took the unopened package to USPS and returned to sender.

A few days later I called the parts line and the Philippines answered... I advised them everything I just typed out, and the rep on the other end of the line would keep asking me the same question in a language I cannot understand. After being thoroughly frustrated I asked for a manager stateside- she argued for a bit then placed me on hold and I believe she gave phone to her cubicle neighbor because she came online rude, would not give me a name or operator id PLUS would not transfer me to any manager. THE ONLY GOOD THING IS, the parts/fix it shop for Sears here in JAX stated that they cannot locate the package and instead of losing customers they will refund the amount if I drive by. THANK YOU AMERICAN REPS!!! Will have to stop using Sears as they are shipping all assistance offshore to people who hate us and are rude.

Get expert buying tips about Microwaves delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I ordered a microwave and they canceled it because they said they did not have it. They don’t know what it is to back ordered. They said they would credit my account back. Till this day they keep saying it takes five to ten business days. It was first 3 to 5. I have been calling them to speak with a supervisor but I guess the supervisor is too busy to talk to me. I’m so mad that I have already called the news to report this. Because if this is a fraud people need to know. The news is going to help me. So if you are a person that wants to order something with Sears don’t do it. That will keep your money. I hope this gets to the CEO so he knows what kind of business he’s running. One of their questions do you want an attorney to contact me. No I will have my attorney contact you and would also pay him.

Updated on 06/21/2018: The supervisor called me back Julian and told me they are investigating that it will take another 7 to 10 days. This is fraud. They are hoping you forget so they can keep the money. That’s what it sounds to me. They don’t know who their CEO is. Well I will never make business with them again. Who needs business like that. Oh he also said I needed to show him that I was charged for the microwave. He called it confirmation. I told him I needed a confirmation that they refunded my money back to my credit card company.

Original review: May 2, 2018

4 months after warranty expired our Kenmore Pro microwave 89393 would trip the MAIN FUSE in our house EVERY time we PUSHED START!! Called Kenmore & Sears multiple times AND visited the store several times. NO ONE is concerned about the SAFETY hazard and told us we need to purchase a new unit!!

Original review: April 13, 2018

This has been going on for Month. I have been jumping through Hoops Lie after lie... OK it been some time since I last posted-- Our Holiday was a bust. We had NO microwave/Oven. Nothing just broken promises. Now they say I have a different service contract. They all the other that are in my house??? So they are tell me they're going to just give me $500.00. I have to buy it from Sears and I only have 90 days to buy it from them- This was a 2500.00 Microwave/Oven - This company is really liars - They don't tell the truth and give runaround -- DON'T TRUST SEARS!!! They are not trustworthy. I waited almost 3 months without my Microwave/Oven and they only want me to go away for $500.00. Who's going to pay for the installation??? WHAT HAPPEN to their service contracts and who made the switch- -- SEARS IS NOT TO BE trusted.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sears?

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Within 4 months my microwave model 790.80373310 melted the turntable ring. Sears agreed to replace it, but I am skeptical and expect that the same thing will occur with the replacement and I'll have a similar half hour phone ordeal to correct it. I think this should be recalled and design flaw corrected before replacement.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

My week-old microwave kept running after the timed period was over and the display said "END." I tried pushing the STOP/CLEAR button to stop it, but that didn't work. My old microwave would shut off immediately when I opened the door, so I tried that but it didn't work. The owner's manual didn't mention that behavior at all. I called the customer support numbers and got differing opinions. No one seemed familiar with the model. One said I should bring it back to the store. I tried calling the store several times, using the number on the sales receipt, but they wouldn't answer the phone.

Resolution response: Aug. 18, 2017

Please see my follow up review of this case. Had we known this model was so bad, and that Sears would respond that WE were at fault, therefore they would do NOTHING, I would have purchased another brand, in the meantime we are out the purchase money as well as the money we paid for the 3 year extended warranty! DO NOT DO business with this crooked company !! If there was a way of giving them NO STARS, I would do it.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

We purchased this oven (Kenmore Microwave oven Model #790.80322310) in August 2016, inside of a month, we had to call Sears service, because the blower would not stop, so we had to disconnect from the outlet, the tech came and said that sometimes the from panel overheats and that it was a safety feature. After about six months, we noticed the plastic part, that makes the inner glass tray revolve, getting discolored and, after the tray would not revolve anymore, we lifted the glass tray and discovered that the plastic part had MELTED away. We called service again and they sent us a replacement part but, we let Sears know that this was very unusual and if they had any recalls on this microwave and they said that had no problems at all.

Yesterday, (10 days before the oven is a year old!) The microwave caught on fire; again, the center plastic part, MELTED along with the carousel ring underneath the glass tray; the glass tray made a popping sound and CRACKED! I immediately disconnected it from the outlet, closed the door and that put the flames out. The problem is underneath and inside the center hole that holds the revolving plastic part; I called Sears service, explained the situation and without any concern at all, they said they would send a tech 12 DAYS later!! and here we are, without a microwave for 12 days. They should have a recall of these units and we should get a new unit, preferably another model, because we would be afraid to use this model anymore!

Updated on 08/18/2017: After 14 days waiting for the Sears tech to arrive, he examined the damage, sent pics to sears service, and the person on the other side decides (arbitrarily!) that WE, the customers were responsible because we must have used it without anything in it, and... They were not responsible. I let the tech know we did not want this unit repaired because this was the THIRD time we called about this microwave overheating and we feel it's a defective unit and therefore UNSAFE! The second time was when the centerpiece that revolves the glass plate melted, and they sent me a new piece. This time it did it again but caught on fire and melted the carousel, the revolving ring and, the glass plate cracked!

Sears is very irresponsible and unreliable, leaves us hanging, refusing to replace this defective unit, steals our purchase money and also steals the money we paid them for the 3 year extended warranty. After more than 50 years doing business with them, I will make sure we do not spend a dime at their stores again, destroy our Sears card, and will blackball them with anybody we can.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

About 1 1/2 years ago one of the apartments in our complex caught on fire and destroyed six apartments. The resident was blamed for the fire even though he claimed that the microwave caught on fire. About five months ago my microwave (same oven) turned on by itself. Fortunately a friend and I were sitting in the kitchen and after a few minutes we wondered why the fan on the microwave was running (we had not used it for anything). I opened the microwave and was hit with a blast of heat about 500 degrees. The unit wouldn't shut off. None of the buttons worked. Opening and closing the door didn't do anything. I reached into the cabinet above the microwave and pulled the plug. Half an hour later I plugged it back in and it immediately started to run again. I then unplugged it for two hours and when I plugged it back in it worked. Whenever I leave the apartment, and at night, I unplug the unit. If it did this once it will do it again.

My neighbor just informed me that her microwave (same model - Sears Kenmore 790 Microwave Oven) just did the same thing. She's currently waiting for parts to fix it, but she doesn't trust it. I believe that the fire 1 1/2 years ago was caused by the microwave and not by the resident. We all have the same units in our apartments. Our apartment manager says there is nothing wrong with the microwaves but they don't start by themselves normally. We have over 100 apartments in our complex. When will the next fire start?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

All of a sudden my microhood's fan turned on by itself on high and won't shut off unless I disconnect the power. When I googled the issue I see that there have been many complaints over these for Kenmore microwaves. When I called Sears to inquire about this, their response was if I don't have warranty a technician can come out to diagnose at my expense. Given this is a constant issue with their product, I don't understand why they aren't trying to resolve this issue for their customers. Their microwaves with these problems should be recalled. My issue is with Model #721-85033111 and serial #206TA01799.

Original review: June 4, 2016

We purchased four appliances. When fridge was installed it had uneven doors, it bobbed back and forth, looks cheap. The installer said after food was in it it wouldn't bob anymore. I told him "I did not want it!!" He said "you can go to store and purchase another by using your phone number and they would pick up the first one when they deliver the other one." I also received two phone calls telling me if we weren't satisfied, go to store and exchange for other one.

We went to Sears in Sebring, FL yesterday. The sales assoc., Todd said he could not exchange without our sales receipt. We had to drive a total of 80 miles to get sales slip and return to store. We were in the store over two hours in which time he had to ask other associates what and how he should make the exchange and also a sales manager. He finally had to ring up a new sale for the fridge because it was not the same price. Two hours later and very upset and angry over the whole situation we went home. This purchase has been nothing but a hassle and they couldn't work out any deal on the new one we bought which they told us it was already on sale. Will not recommend Sears to anyone nor purchase from them again.

Original review: May 24, 2016

My name is Dustin. Had a microwave. It broke. Sears was the warranty. They came out. The first time guy took apart everything, said to me control panels go bad all the time, orders the 200$ PART to the broken microwave. The 2nd tech comes in, never takes anything apart, swears my outlet burned the microwave up, voids my warranty and leaves. Mind you I still have the broken microwave and 200$ part lol. He tells me his phone number and says worst comes to worst he will fix it. I had an electrician come over short after to look at the outlet this guy claimed broke the microwave. Nothing was wrong with it. Guy hooked a neat little gadget up to the outlet. It read 120. 120 both green for neutral hot.

Original review: May 23, 2016

I own a Sears Kenmore microwave model #790.80323310 that I purchased in early May of 2015. Had a bag of microwavable popcorn in unit. Within 5 seconds it was on fire inside the microwave. Luckily we immediately put the fire out. Contacted Sears and said it would require a service call of $245 (more than the microwave cost). They offered a 10% discount on a purchase of new unit. Have photo of the damage... shame on you Sears! Check YouTube, same issue on same microwave?

Original review: May 7, 2016

I have a countertop Sears microwave that turns on spontaneously and could cause a fire. There is also an odor at times of burning insulation. I called Sears and because it is 3 yrs old they would not even take a report. Stay away from this company.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2016

This has happened twice. Somehow when I opened the door of the Sears model 405.72122310 --1100W capacity 1.2cu.ft. microwave it started to run. Pushing stop button did not work; I had to close the door; then push stop. I could not find any recalls. I think we bought it in 2013 or 2014.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2016

I purchased a microwave and dishwasher. Given delivery 2:00-5:00. At 5:00 I still did not receive my appliances so I tried calling and every # I tried was closed. Leave message. I finally reached a delivery person and she said everything was closed and nothing she could do or tell me. No HELP. Got the runaround. I tried everything. I gave up and went to bed. At 9:45 I received a call. "Do you still want your appliances?" the man asked. I said yes as I HAD WAITED ALL DAY. We the customer have other things to do also. I lost 1 whole day waiting so of course I said yes. They finally finished installing everything at 10:15 PM. This is not acceptable. I never received one call to let me know that they were running that late. I am very unhappy with Sears...

Original review: Sept. 29, 2015

Purchased several years ago, microwave with coffee maker. Unfortunately coffee mug broke and according to Sears, cannot be replaced. Most unhappy with this model, although thought it was a great invention.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2015

On August 18, 2015, I ordered a microwave part 00795912 from Sears PartsDirect because the microwave manufacturer, Bosch, did not have the part in stock. The Sears PartsDirect website listed the part as "in stock." I contacted the company and ordered the part. Days later, I discovered Sears PartsDirect did not have the part in stock and still does not have the part even though it is listed on the website as in stock. Plus, a month has passed, and I am still waiting for the part to arrive.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2015

We bought a new home with Kenmore appliances already installed. Loved the look of them but of course they broke after just 2 years of just regular once a day use. Fan comes on all the time by itself. Fan comes on when we cook something on the cook top. We actually hooked up an extension cord with an on and off switch to the microwave in the cupboard above it so we can switch it off completely and turn it on when we need to use it because the fan runs continuously for long periods of time and it is so loud and annoying. Repair is about $150 to $200 which is about $100 less than a new microwave costs. Not worth it. In search of a new microwave and it definitely won't be anything from Sears or a Kenmore. They are terrible and customer service is no help at all.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2015

I purchased a new Kenmore microwave hood combination ~24 months ago to put in my kitchen above my stove. I planned to spend a little more to ensure that I would get a product that would last. The unit I bought cost ~$400 and was assured that it was of high quality and would outlast other inferior products. However, after 2 short years the unit started powering down for no reason and would take 15-20 minutes to come back online. Knowing that this is not good I called Kenmore/Sears customer service to see what could be done to get the unit back to normal operation. I was informed that my only options were to pay $250 for a service call plus parts or buy a whole home protection plan for my appliances at $60/month plus $60 for any service call. So I either pay $720/year plus service fees or 63% of the unit's original worth plus parts to fix what should not even be close to the end of its life at this point.

Needless to say what to do next was very easy given the choices listed above. First, I will never buy Kenmore products again as they do not stand behind them and second I will be replacing my microwave with a unit from a company with reputable customer service that stands behind what they make. I guess this is my lesson to do my research ahead of time as there are plenty of horrible reviews for Sears/Kenmore out there already. Hope this helps the next person about to buy this terrible brand.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2015

My microwave quit. Still have until April 2016 on my extended warranty. Called 1-800-Searsmyhome. Was scheduled for a service call 17 days out between 8 am and 5 pm. After thinking about the long wait period, I called back. Think I got India, couldn't understand a word the man said. Asked for supervisor. She also sounded the same. She kept telling me no techs in my area for 17 days. Didn't seem concerned. I said that surely that far out they could give me a better window than from 8-5 pm. She kept repeating "no techs in your area until then." I live about 20 miles northwest of Pittsburgh so that's not likely. Very dissatisfied. She said she would pass on to corporate. I asked if I should expect a call back, she said "no."

Updated on Sept. 23, 2015: The repairman finally came, looked at my microwave, ordered parts and once again scheduled a return to repair date for 3 weeks out with a window between 8am-5pm. I wasn't informed that the parts ordered would be delivered directly to my home by FedEx. I don't have a lot of storage space and it was a big box. I received a call from Sears the day before the service date asking if all parts had arrived. How would I know that? The serviceman brought a helper and took the microwave off of the brackets. It's an over the stove unit. Once the parts were replaced and the unit put back on the brackets, the door won't close easily. I questioned this and the repairman said that they always close with difficulty. I never had the problem before. After they left I saw three areas on the wall where the paint had been scraped off where they hit the wall when they lifted the unit down off of the brackets. Never again.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2015

15 months ago purchased all kitchen appliances on 18 month finance. Stove caught wall on fire first week. Sears replaced. One week ago Kenmore elite microwave quit heating. Called Sears. They said I am out of luck without a extended warranty. Yet, I'm still paying for it. Then said I had to do service call. Minimum charge for $340 microwave was $99 just to check out. I asked if I could purchase part but no help to advise what part. I went to local appliance part man. He said magnetron and it along with service would be almost as much as purchasing new.

Sears wouldn't even tell me that. They said service call only. I'm so disappointed that they know that they sell junk just to blackmail their customers into purchasing service contracts and home service in turn forcing the customer to be out no matter what decision they make.This should be illegal. I'm making sure that anyone I ever know as well as myself NEVER does business with Sears appliances again.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2015

Took my microwave oven in for repair. During transport from the Sears store to the repair shop my microwave was damaged beyond repair. After I called Sears to find out about my repair they told me about the incident and subsequent credit allowance. Simple fact is I don't need the microwave so I have tried to find out if I can get any other product for the credit amount. I cannot get an answer to what seems to be an easy solution. They refuse to let me speak to the STORE manager and pass me around to associates that could care less about the question. Just very frustrating. This all occurred at the Torrance, CA Sears store. No Sears associate has even thought to say "We are sorry this happened". Come on Sears my wife and I have been using Sears since 1978.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2015

Kenmore built-in microwave will not heat food.

Original review: July 18, 2015

I purchased a very expensive Kenmore microwave from Sears. Exactly thirteen months later the turntable stopped turning. I could not shut it off and I could not turn it back on. I called Sears to explain the problem and was on hold for an hour. Finally someone in a foreign country told me it would cost me two hundred and fifty dollars for a service person to come to my house to look at it. I tried to ask why charge me that amount when no one knew what was wrong with it. Once again I was told I had to pay before anyone would come out. I refused and hung up on the person.

I called a local repairman and he had to replace the whole control board to the tune of 400 hundred dollars. After he left I tried the microwave out and it did the exact same thing. I am getting my money back for the control board minus the service call. So last night I went to the store where I bought the microwave just to explain the problem hoping the salesman could help with my problem and was treated with such disrespect that I will NEVER set step into any Sears store again!

Original review: July 9, 2015

I purchased Kenmore Elite products in March of last year when I remodeled my home. They weren't actually installed until August. Since that time the ice maker on my refrigerator has broken twice and a technician was here only about 6 months ago. My microwave doesn't heat and one of the pieces that separates the compartments in the upper rack of my dishwasher is broken. I just called to schedule a service call to fix 3 products that have been installed less than a year and they can't come out until the 21st of July, which is slightly less than 2 weeks.

The minimum cost is going to be $160 just to come out and "diagnose". Sears used to have good products and great service, but this is the LAST time I buy Kenmore. Had a horrible experience with the Kenmore refrigerator and freezer I had before I bought this one. Paid $1200 for the old freezer and because it never worked, we just got frustrated and threw it out. Gave Sears one more chance and deeply regret it.

Updated on 10/29/2015 - I have a Sears microwave oven combination that was delivered to my home in April 2014 but not installed until August (was doing home remodeling). The magnetron went out so that the microwave stopped heating in July and the service man took days to repair it because he didn't have the part on his truck. Cost me $555.00. The new magnetron went out and was replaced 9/28/15. Unbelievably, a service man is returning today (Oct 29) because the microwave once again has stopped heating. Sears ONLY response is that the product in no longer under warranty. There is no one at Sears to talk to or to work with to try and make this right. They only want to sell me an exorbitantly priced warranty agreement (which would cost hundreds per year to cover all the products).

I don't think that it is too much to expect that a product that is a little more than one year old should work properly. The last service man who came out indicated that the company is deliberately building a substandard product so that people have to replace appliances more often because that increases their profit line. I would strongly encourage anyone looking for quality appliances to AVOID Sears at all costs.

Original review: July 4, 2015

I bought a brand new house and have been in it two years now. And my Sears Kenmore over the stove Stainless Steel Microwave caught on fire on the top. It has a hole in the top now where it started. I was cooking a bag of popcorn and was rinsing my hands and saw a light and turned to look at my microwave and the top of it inside was on fire. Now for the good stuff. We also had to replace out 2 yr old Kenmore dishwasher also since the motor burned up. It is just me and my husband in this house and we treat our stuff good. We also found out today that others in our subdivision has had to replace 4 microwaves that also caught on fire and 3 dishwashers that quit also. They are all Kenmore products. NEVER BUY KENMORE...

Original review: July 1, 2015

Defiance, Ohio Sears. I bought the most expensive microwave they had because I figuring it would have the best quality. I had to take the first one back because it started up and ran with no input as soon as I plugged it in & would not shut off. The only way to stop it was to open the door and rather than just go back and get a refund, I made a big mistake and I let the salesperson talk me into exchanging it. I made the guy open it and take it out of the box, plug it in and test it before I took it home because I was already very peeved that it cost me $10 gas just to exchange it. This was on 4-20-15, no offer to compensate me for my time, trouble or expense was offered.

The replacement just died today, 07-01-15. That is less than 3 months worth of use for almost $200. There is no way that I will return this microwave and exchange it or ask for a refund. I will never set foot in another Sears store so help me as long as I live. Sears is just another five letter word for cheap. I have a receipt, but I am too pissed off to look for it. Besides I have a record of it because it was charged to my account which I intend to cancel as soon as I cool off enough to talk to one of the dumb ** on the phone. I don't know nor do I care what Sears has to say about it. I have put a huge sign in my front yard. That sign faces state rte #127, a major artery. It says SEARS KENMORE MICROWAVES ARE CHEESY PIECES OF **. There may be nothing I can do about the microwave but I will leave this sign up for the rest of my life.

Original review: June 17, 2015

This past Saturday, I purchased an over-the-range microwave oven from the Sears store in Holyoke, MA. I was told by the sales associate that my purchase included delivery, installation and hauling away of the old microwave. When the delivery people showed up, they dropped the microwave in the middle of my kitchen floor and told me that they didn't do installation. So, I called the installation number on my sales receipt. They told me that I had not paid for an installation, in spite of the fact that it says clearly on my slip: "Set up and put in place."

I decided to go back to the store to dispute this issue. I was told by the manager that the sales associate who sold me the oven had been on the floor for only seven days and had "made a mistake." Well, this is not really my problem, is it? I told him I wanted installation like it indicates on my slip. Then, he offered to have it installed for an additional $100.00. Of course, I refused. A deal's a deal.

I told the manager that I wanted to return the oven. A call to the delivery people proved to be fruitless. They wouldn't come to pick it up. They then gave me a number for installation. What happened there was expected: They would install it, sure, but for an additional $200. So, I am left with a microwave in the middle of my kitchen floor. They won't let me return it. They won't install it unless I pay an additional amount. In addition, I paid a haul-away fee of $15.00 for the old one, and, of course, they didn't haul it away. Sears is very inept and I will never do business with them again. I do plan on pursuing this, though. The Better Business Bureau is my next step.

Original review: May 18, 2015

I have a microwave hood combination that broke after only a year and a half. This is not a small item. It had to be installed above my stove. The warranty is for a year, but the item breaks just after warranty is up. After broken, Sears tries to sell a repair plan. Microwave is a Kenmore but Sears says it is manufactured by Samsung. After reading other customers with similar problems I am convinced the unit was built to break shortly after a 1 year warranty. I believe Sears is placing components with very short life spans into their appliances, and then scamming customers into purchasing pricey repair plans. Sears should stand by their products instead of ripping off their loyal customers. I will never purchase another Sears appliance. I will no longer shop at my local Sears store (shelves are in a terrible state anyway) and I will no longer get my car serviced at Sears.

Sears Appliance - Microwaves Company Information