Sears Microwave

Compare Microwaves

Research top Microwaves recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We purchased four appliances. When fridge was installed it had uneven doors, it bobbed back and forth, looks cheap. The installer said after food was in it it wouldn't bob anymore. I told him "I did not want it!!" He said "you can go to store and purchase another by using your phone number and they would pick up the first one when they deliver the other one." I also received two phone calls telling me if we weren't satisfied, go to store and exchange for other one.

We went to Sears in Sebring, FL yesterday. The sales assoc., Todd said he could not exchange without our sales receipt. We had to drive a total of 80 miles to get sales slip and return to store. We were in the store over two hours in which time he had to ask other associates what and how he should make the exchange and also a sales manager. He finally had to ring up a new sale for the fridge because it was not the same price. Two hours later and very upset and angry over the whole situation we went home. This purchase has been nothing but a hassle and they couldn't work out any deal on the new one we bought which they told us it was already on sale. Will not recommend Sears to anyone nor purchase from them again.

My name is Dustin. Had a microwave. It broke. Sears was the warranty. They came out. The first time guy took apart everything, said to me control panels go bad all the time, orders the 200$ PART to the broken microwave. The 2nd tech comes in, never takes anything apart, swears my outlet burned the microwave up, voids my warranty and leaves. Mind you I still have the broken microwave and 200$ part lol. He tells me his phone number and says worst comes to worst he will fix it. I had an electrician come over short after to look at the outlet this guy claimed broke the microwave. Nothing was wrong with it. Guy hooked a neat little gadget up to the outlet. It read 120. 120 both green for neutral hot.

I own a Sears Kenmore microwave model #790.80323310 that I purchased in early May of 2015. Had a bag of microwavable popcorn in unit. Within 5 seconds it was on fire inside the microwave. Luckily we immediately put the fire out. Contacted Sears and said it would require a service call of $245 (more than the microwave cost). They offered a 10% discount on a purchase of new unit. Have photo of the damage... shame on you Sears! Check YouTube, same issue on same microwave?

I have a countertop Sears microwave that turns on spontaneously and could cause a fire. There is also an odor at times of burning insulation. I called Sears and because it is 3 yrs old they would not even take a report. Stay away from this company.

This has happened twice. Somehow when I opened the door of the Sears model 405.72122310 --1100W capacity 1.2cu.ft. microwave it started to run. Pushing stop button did not work; I had to close the door; then push stop. I could not find any recalls. I think we bought it in 2013 or 2014.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sears?

I purchased a microwave and dishwasher. Given delivery 2:00-5:00. At 5:00 I still did not receive my appliances so I tried calling and every # I tried was closed. Leave message. I finally reached a delivery person and she said everything was closed and nothing she could do or tell me. No HELP. Got the runaround. I tried everything. I gave up and went to bed. At 9:45 I received a call. "Do you still want your appliances?" the man asked. I said yes as I HAD WAITED ALL DAY. We the customer have other things to do also. I lost 1 whole day waiting so of course I said yes. They finally finished installing everything at 10:15 PM. This is not acceptable. I never received one call to let me know that they were running that late. I am very unhappy with Sears...

Purchased several years ago, microwave with coffee maker. Unfortunately coffee mug broke and according to Sears, cannot be replaced. Most unhappy with this model, although thought it was a great invention.

On August 18, 2015, I ordered a microwave part 00795912 from Sears PartsDirect because the microwave manufacturer, Bosch, did not have the part in stock. The Sears PartsDirect website listed the part as "in stock." I contacted the company and ordered the part. Days later, I discovered Sears PartsDirect did not have the part in stock and still does not have the part even though it is listed on the website as in stock. Plus, a month has passed, and I am still waiting for the part to arrive.

We bought a new home with Kenmore appliances already installed. Loved the look of them but of course they broke after just 2 years of just regular once a day use. Fan comes on all the time by itself. Fan comes on when we cook something on the cook top. We actually hooked up an extension cord with an on and off switch to the microwave in the cupboard above it so we can switch it off completely and turn it on when we need to use it because the fan runs continuously for long periods of time and it is so loud and annoying. Repair is about $150 to $200 which is about $100 less than a new microwave costs. Not worth it. In search of a new microwave and it definitely won't be anything from Sears or a Kenmore. They are terrible and customer service is no help at all.

I purchased a new Kenmore microwave hood combination ~24 months ago to put in my kitchen above my stove. I planned to spend a little more to ensure that I would get a product that would last. The unit I bought cost ~$400 and was assured that it was of high quality and would outlast other inferior products. However, after 2 short years the unit started powering down for no reason and would take 15-20 minutes to come back online. Knowing that this is not good I called Kenmore/Sears customer service to see what could be done to get the unit back to normal operation. I was informed that my only options were to pay $250 for a service call plus parts or buy a whole home protection plan for my appliances at $60/month plus $60 for any service call. So I either pay $720/year plus service fees or 63% of the unit's original worth plus parts to fix what should not even be close to the end of its life at this point.

Needless to say what to do next was very easy given the choices listed above. First, I will never buy Kenmore products again as they do not stand behind them and second I will be replacing my microwave with a unit from a company with reputable customer service that stands behind what they make. I guess this is my lesson to do my research ahead of time as there are plenty of horrible reviews for Sears/Kenmore out there already. Hope this helps the next person about to buy this terrible brand.

My microwave quit. Still have until April 2016 on my extended warranty. Called 1-800-Searsmyhome. Was scheduled for a service call 17 days out between 8 am and 5 pm. After thinking about the long wait period, I called back. Think I got India, couldn't understand a word the man said. Asked for supervisor. She also sounded the same. She kept telling me no techs in my area for 17 days. Didn't seem concerned. I said that surely that far out they could give me a better window than from 8-5 pm. She kept repeating "no techs in your area until then." I live about 20 miles northwest of Pittsburgh so that's not likely. Very dissatisfied. She said she would pass on to corporate. I asked if I should expect a call back, she said "no."

Updated on Sept. 23, 2015: The repairman finally came, looked at my microwave, ordered parts and once again scheduled a return to repair date for 3 weeks out with a window between 8am-5pm. I wasn't informed that the parts ordered would be delivered directly to my home by FedEx. I don't have a lot of storage space and it was a big box. I received a call from Sears the day before the service date asking if all parts had arrived. How would I know that? The serviceman brought a helper and took the microwave off of the brackets. It's an over the stove unit. Once the parts were replaced and the unit put back on the brackets, the door won't close easily. I questioned this and the repairman said that they always close with difficulty. I never had the problem before. After they left I saw three areas on the wall where the paint had been scraped off where they hit the wall when they lifted the unit down off of the brackets. Never again.

15 months ago purchased all kitchen appliances on 18 month finance. Stove caught wall on fire first week. Sears replaced. One week ago Kenmore elite microwave quit heating. Called Sears. They said I am out of luck without a extended warranty. Yet, I'm still paying for it. Then said I had to do service call. Minimum charge for $340 microwave was $99 just to check out. I asked if I could purchase part but no help to advise what part. I went to local appliance part man. He said magnetron and it along with service would be almost as much as purchasing new.

Sears wouldn't even tell me that. They said service call only. I'm so disappointed that they know that they sell junk just to blackmail their customers into purchasing service contracts and home service in turn forcing the customer to be out no matter what decision they make.This should be illegal. I'm making sure that anyone I ever know as well as myself NEVER does business with Sears appliances again.

Took my microwave oven in for repair. During transport from the Sears store to the repair shop my microwave was damaged beyond repair. After I called Sears to find out about my repair they told me about the incident and subsequent credit allowance. Simple fact is I don't need the microwave so I have tried to find out if I can get any other product for the credit amount. I cannot get an answer to what seems to be an easy solution. They refuse to let me speak to the STORE manager and pass me around to associates that could care less about the question. Just very frustrating. This all occurred at the Torrance, CA Sears store. No Sears associate has even thought to say "We are sorry this happened". Come on Sears my wife and I have been using Sears since 1978.

Kenmore built-in microwave will not heat food.

I purchased a very expensive Kenmore microwave from Sears. Exactly thirteen months later the turntable stopped turning. I could not shut it off and I could not turn it back on. I called Sears to explain the problem and was on hold for an hour. Finally someone in a foreign country told me it would cost me two hundred and fifty dollars for a service person to come to my house to look at it. I tried to ask why charge me that amount when no one knew what was wrong with it. Once again I was told I had to pay before anyone would come out. I refused and hung up on the person.

I called a local repairman and he had to replace the whole control board to the tune of 400 hundred dollars. After he left I tried the microwave out and it did the exact same thing. I am getting my money back for the control board minus the service call. So last night I went to the store where I bought the microwave just to explain the problem hoping the salesman could help with my problem and was treated with such disrespect that I will NEVER set step into any Sears store again!

I purchased Kenmore Elite products in March of last year when I remodeled my home. They weren't actually installed until August. Since that time the ice maker on my refrigerator has broken twice and a technician was here only about 6 months ago. My microwave doesn't heat and one of the pieces that separates the compartments in the upper rack of my dishwasher is broken. I just called to schedule a service call to fix 3 products that have been installed less than a year and they can't come out until the 21st of July, which is slightly less than 2 weeks.

The minimum cost is going to be $160 just to come out and "diagnose". Sears used to have good products and great service, but this is the LAST time I buy Kenmore. Had a horrible experience with the Kenmore refrigerator and freezer I had before I bought this one. Paid $1200 for the old freezer and because it never worked, we just got frustrated and threw it out. Gave Sears one more chance and deeply regret it.

Updated on 10/29/2015 - I have a Sears microwave oven combination that was delivered to my home in April 2014 but not installed until August (was doing home remodeling). The magnetron went out so that the microwave stopped heating in July and the service man took days to repair it because he didn't have the part on his truck. Cost me $555.00. The new magnetron went out and was replaced 9/28/15. Unbelievably, a service man is returning today (Oct 29) because the microwave once again has stopped heating. Sears ONLY response is that the product in no longer under warranty. There is no one at Sears to talk to or to work with to try and make this right. They only want to sell me an exorbitantly priced warranty agreement (which would cost hundreds per year to cover all the products).

I don't think that it is too much to expect that a product that is a little more than one year old should work properly. The last service man who came out indicated that the company is deliberately building a substandard product so that people have to replace appliances more often because that increases their profit line. I would strongly encourage anyone looking for quality appliances to AVOID Sears at all costs.

I bought a brand new house and have been in it two years now. And my Sears Kenmore over the stove Stainless Steel Microwave caught on fire on the top. It has a hole in the top now where it started. I was cooking a bag of popcorn and was rinsing my hands and saw a light and turned to look at my microwave and the top of it inside was on fire. Now for the good stuff. We also had to replace out 2 yr old Kenmore dishwasher also since the motor burned up. It is just me and my husband in this house and we treat our stuff good. We also found out today that others in our subdivision has had to replace 4 microwaves that also caught on fire and 3 dishwashers that quit also. They are all Kenmore products. NEVER BUY KENMORE...

Defiance, Ohio Sears. I bought the most expensive microwave they had because I figuring it would have the best quality. I had to take the first one back because it started up and ran with no input as soon as I plugged it in & would not shut off. The only way to stop it was to open the door and rather than just go back and get a refund, I made a big mistake and I let the salesperson talk me into exchanging it. I made the guy open it and take it out of the box, plug it in and test it before I took it home because I was already very peeved that it cost me $10 gas just to exchange it. This was on 4-20-15, no offer to compensate me for my time, trouble or expense was offered.

The replacement just died today, 07-01-15. That is less than 3 months worth of use for almost $200. There is no way that I will return this microwave and exchange it or ask for a refund. I will never set foot in another Sears store so help me as long as I live. Sears is just another five letter word for cheap. I have a receipt, but I am too pissed off to look for it. Besides I have a record of it because it was charged to my account which I intend to cancel as soon as I cool off enough to talk to one of the dumb asses on the phone. I don't know nor do I care what Sears has to say about it. I have put a huge sign in my front yard. That sign faces state rte #127, a major artery. It says SEARS KENMORE MICROWAVES ARE CHEESY PIECES OF **. There may be nothing I can do about the microwave but I will leave this sign up for the rest of my life.

This past Saturday, I purchased an over-the-range microwave oven from the Sears store in Holyoke, MA. I was told by the sales associate that my purchase included delivery, installation and hauling away of the old microwave. When the delivery people showed up, they dropped the microwave in the middle of my kitchen floor and told me that they didn't do installation. So, I called the installation number on my sales receipt. They told me that I had not paid for an installation, in spite of the fact that it says clearly on my slip: "Set up and put in place."

I decided to go back to the store to dispute this issue. I was told by the manager that the sales associate who sold me the oven had been on the floor for only seven days and had "made a mistake." Well, this is not really my problem, is it? I told him I wanted installation like it indicates on my slip. Then, he offered to have it installed for an additional $100.00. Of course, I refused. A deal's a deal.

I told the manager that I wanted to return the oven. A call to the delivery people proved to be fruitless. They wouldn't come to pick it up. They then gave me a number for installation. What happened there was expected: They would install it, sure, but for an additional $200. So, I am left with a microwave in the middle of my kitchen floor. They won't let me return it. They won't install it unless I pay an additional amount. In addition, I paid a haul-away fee of $15.00 for the old one, and, of course, they didn't haul it away. Sears is very inept and I will never do business with them again. I do plan on pursuing this, though. The Better Business Bureau is my next step.

I have a microwave hood combination that broke after only a year and a half. This is not a small item. It had to be installed above my stove. The warranty is for a year, but the item breaks just after warranty is up. After broken, Sears tries to sell a repair plan. Microwave is a Kenmore but Sears says it is manufactured by Samsung. After reading other customers with similar problems I am convinced the unit was built to break shortly after a 1 year warranty. I believe Sears is placing components with very short life spans into their appliances, and then scamming customers into purchasing pricey repair plans. Sears should stand by their products instead of ripping off their loyal customers. I will never purchase another Sears appliance. I will no longer shop at my local Sears store (shelves are in a terrible state anyway) and I will no longer get my car serviced at Sears.

I purchased a Kenmore 1.6 cu ft microwave, model number 405.73169310 from Sears and I have had it for 13 months; and of course their warranty is only for a year. Now the microwave turns on and off by itself. Kind of scary and concerned it might be a fire danger. It should probably fall under a recall. Kenmore used to have high quality products when I was growing up as a kid but it appears their quality has greatly slipped. I highly recommend that you do not buy a Kenmore, at least not a Kenmore microwave. If it catches fire, I am definitely filing a lawsuit against both Sears and Kenmore.

Microwave caught fire. I set the timer for 30 minutes, not the cooking part of the oven. We smelled something burning. The inside of the microwave was on fire. Evidently the circuit breaker tripped. The oven turned itself off. There was food in the oven covered in paper - the paper ignited.

Wish I read reviews before buying the Home Service Agreement from Sears. They tell many promises but do not keep a single one. God's sake, do not buy any home service protection agreement from Sears. Otherwise, you shall suffer like what many of us suffering!! I was told that $269.99 would cover most of the household appliances for a year. My micro oven is not starting and called them. The technician showed up much after the scheduled time (3 - 7 pm) and spent two minutes to let me know that he is tired, hasn't taken dinner yet... and rescheduled it. Next time I was waiting for the technician but he never showed up. I took half day off from my work waiting for this guy!! I spent lots of time after that with the Sears home service dept managers but never is it resolved. I am planning to take them to the BBB / court.

Our 6 month old microwave died on Christmas Eve. It had been making sounds for a while, so we had already called for service a couple of weeks before that. Luckily, we had a spare microwave in our basement so we could finish cooking our Christmas dinner. It took 2 weeks to get the first technician to the house. He said that he needed a different part and left. It took 1 week to get the part and another week to get someone back to the house.

When the technician arrived (second one), the part he replaced did not fix the problem. He and my husband both saw that it was arcing inside the microwave. The technician said that this issue was not fixable. He took pictures and spent time on the phone with his office telling them that the microwave needed to be replaced. Sears was supposed to call us within 24 hours. 5 days later, my husband called them and they said, "Oh no. We don't call you. You have to call us." Then they told us that the pictures weren't good enough and they had to be taken again by another technician. They had received pictures of the black marks where the microwave was arcing. Their response was that it was not possible to break there.

2 weeks later, a third technician came over and basically agreed with the original diagnoses. He took several new pictures and then sat in his truck while he talked to his office. They still didn't believe the pictures - once again because it was impossible for this microwave to break in that particular spot. Our microwave had been out in the garage for a couple of weeks and was partially disassembled. They told the technician to put it all back together again and validate, however, my husband and I had left the house to go to a movie so he couldn't do that step.

What a waste of time! Basically, Sears service is calling 2 of their technicians and ourselves liars! My husband went to Sears that evening and voiced his complaints to a manager in the appliance section. Once again, we were promised they would call us no later than 3 PM the next day, and, once again, no one called us. 2 days later, Tom went back to Sears. The manager there promised to get this issue escalated. We're waiting... I want a microwave!! Instead, I have a hole in my kitchen where a microwave is supposed to be. This is ridiculous. Sears has spent FAR more money sending technicians to the house and wasting everybody's time, than they would have spent just giving us a new microwave. It's only 5-6 months old. It's under warranty.

What junk. We had this unit (72186003010 Kenmore Elite Microwave Hood Combo) for around 18 months and the turntable would run when the door was opened and the oven off. One month after that, unit won’t cook or turntable won’t move. The unit will count down on the timer when trying to cook but will not heat or move turntable. Sears wants me to give them $95.00 to tell me how much it will cost to repair. We paid around $650.00 for their Elite trash and $1800.00 for double oven that won't heat. STRAIGHT JUNK. Will not buy anything from SEARS and I will spread my experience.

Purchased the stainless steel over the range microwave model # 721.85033111 serial # 211TA05212 on January 22, 2013. On December 6, 2014 the unit had NOTHING in it (not being used) and started a spontaneous fire inside on the top of the unit. SPARKS AND FIRE EVERYWHERE! This was the first time in 15 years of purchasing a fire extinguisher that I had to use it. Now since the warranty is out, no recourse is available to me except for a product safety form (does nothing) and a discount on repair. I told the supervisor that it CANNOT be repaired and needs to be replaced due to the damage and they are unable to replace it. Also, they gave me the run around on who made the product. I've wasted countless hours calling LG, Kenmore, and Whirlpool with all claiming that they do not make the product even though Sears told me to call them. Around the holidays, money and resources are so tight. I have a college student paying for her tuition and I really need help. Does anybody have any solutions to get this replaced?

Purchase the GE microwave from Sears and within 7 months the microwave fan will just turn on by itself and will not heat any item. The first time the technician came to repair the microwave, he spent 20 minutes. At that point the microwave was able to heat "water" but the technician stated he had no clue what he did to fix. it. Within 24 hours, the fan was running by itself again and not heating. I scheduled another repair requesting for a replacement. As of 10/28/2014, a park was sent to my house for the repair on Saturday, November 1st.

Called Sears 1-800-479-6351 to insist on a new microwave or have Sears put in writing - they will pay for all damages if my house burns down with this microwave. No luck, the first lady stated that wont happen. Requested her supervisor and he stated that the microwave is stated as a "repair" item and Sears will not replace it unless the technician states in their report that the microwave is not fixable. Again will not put in writing for any damages. At this point, I am extremely disappointed in Sears for backing their product. I will never purchase another item from Sears!!!! While Sears will give you a decent deal, be aware that they will not back the products they sell. Just another reason why they are closing so many Sears stores.

Consumer Increased Rating!

After my posting, Meghan, Sears Customer Service Representative, contacted me and arranged a repair of the microwave at no charge due to the fact that it was only a few weeks after the warranty expired. The repairmen was courteous and prompt. Meghan was instrumental in resolving this issue in a satisfactory manner.

Doug of Newton, Ia 50208, IA on

Original Review

Purchased a Sears Microwave, model number 72185063010 on Labor Day of September 2013. On September 28, 2014, it stopped functioning completely - nada. Called Sears - what a joke - "I can appreciate your frustration"...really? Your unit is out of warranty by less than a month. Will never purchase or recommend a Sears appliance again.

Ordered microwave on May 9th, was supposed to be delivered on 10th. Waited my 4-hour window and no call, no show. Several phone calls later, two trips to store. It is now May 31st, another 5-hour window, call their installer, Reliable Appliance Installers (beware) to say 2 more hours, after waiting the 5. Are you kidding me, and they don't know why I'm angry. Another call to Sears and they are supposed to be handling this situation, I bet..

2/24/2014 We purchased a 27 Microwave/oven combo wall unit 790.48809100, from Sears paid them for the installation and haul away the old unit on. Prior to the scheduled installation, we tore down the old unit and prepared the cabinet opening according to the spec sheet of the new unit. The installers arrived on time, verified the cabinet opening, electrical and confirmed to me that the opening was prepped properly and proceed with the installation. They installed the unit, connected to the electrical, tested the ovens and I signed the paper.

Then I noticed while the decorator trim of the upper portion was installed correctly tight against the face frame of the cabinet but the bottom of the unit was 5/16 away from the cabinet and I could see the rough opening behind through the gap, see attached photo. I questioned the installers and they simply said that how the unit works and they could not do anything to push the unit in further and they refused to retry. I told them that I did not believe so and I would check with Sears, I noted on the page 4 of 8, on the Provider Copy of Service Order # **: Bottom of oven does not fit the cabinet, I will check with Sears. They left in the hurry and did not even haul away the old unit as contracted.

I immediately called Sears 1-800-605-2128 at 1:25, spoke to Sharon and was surprised to learn that the installers reported that there were problems with the installation. She said that the installer would call me in two days to reschedule and re-level the unit. Nobody called. 2/27/2014, I called and spoke to Shanice at 10:25. After about 5 minute, she came back and told me that I had signed off the installation and if the unit would not fit, I should contact Sears for a different unit. That was absolutely absurd. Shanice was so rude and refused to connect with her supervisor, so I hung up after trying to make sense of her a few more times.

Following the unpleasant experience with Shanice, I called Sears again and spoke to Mark on 10:35 and he told me that the installer would call me later today for scheduling an appointment, nobody called. 3:15 I went on Sears Chat line and was told to call 1-800-326-8738. I called the above number, spoke to Patty then was transferred to Victor and was told someone would contact me by Friday, 2/28. Nobody called. 2/28/2014 Called again, spoke to Allma and was told someone would contact me in 24 hours. No one called. I will continue to call and am prepared to send this issue to consumer protection agencies and media.

Sears Appliance - Microwaves Company Profile