3.1/5 (86 ratings)

About REI

REI Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about REI?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about REI?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

The prices for repairs at this place is ridiculous. I took my bike there to have a shock installed a week ago, it’s the “promise date” today and the shop manager said it would probably be ready Saturday and here I am on Tuesday with no transportation. They also had no idea when it would be ready after the day they promised. Terrible customer service, terrible work.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

For many years REI was our go to, trusted outdoor supply store. They always stood behind anything we bought there either replacing or repairing items that failed, even ones that weren't their own brand. This no longer is the case especially for tents. They just want to send items out to 3rd party retailers for repair at customers' expense or expect you to fix problems yourself, even when the problem is with their own brand tent.

We purchased a Quarter Dome T2+ and have only used it a few times and had it in storage the past 4 years. Now we have discovered that all of the factory taped seams are flaking off, and research shows this is a widespread problem. We've also discovered that REI has discontinued this model, I'm sure due to the poor long term quality. However have they done anything for customers who purchased this tent? Not that I can see. They just refer you to articles on how to clean and reseal the tent yourself.

If this was a rare problem this would make sense, however there is way too many complaints which makes it appear to be a manufacturing/design problem. Cheap materials. Now I will never trust any REI product or the company to stand behind it. This company has changed so much and now is just another outdoor store with no integrity. Beware of putting your trust in their products.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2021

While they claim 1 year return policy, they will not honor it for used shoes. I bought 2 pairs of Columbia shoes and both failed in the same location after 3 days of use in rocky terrain. Since we were on camping trip in another country we could not return them immediately. By the time we got them back it was 4 months since we had bought them. They refused return even though the wear and tear was only a week worth, but the product had failed with stitches. They said it's a warranty claim with Columbia and Columbia will like to hear from me since they have a defective product. Do not advertise 1 year return policy.

Original review: July 27, 2021

They will cancel you on a day before the event just because they did not have enough participants. I am not scheduling any events with them again. This is to be expected when hosting a group event, they many not get many participants every day.

Original review: July 11, 2021

Due to “guidelines”, I am forced to refrain from all caps, but this should be in all caps, never ever again, will I trade in a $300 tent for Rei to come, falsely back with, there was a “rip/tear” in a gently used mess than 6yr old Kelty tent with a poor design. Congratulations rei, I will no longer shop at your store and I will literally cut up the credit card bearing your name as well.

Original review: July 6, 2021

The whole online order was a mess because they claimed to have the items on stock when they didn’t. Long story short. I ordered doubles, and have not been able to receive a refund on the order I returned in person. No confirmation email, nothing. I order from Backcountry.com too and I prefer their service now, I have not have this problem with them.

Original review: June 30, 2021

I’m in the Alaskan bush and have no way of getting to a post office but I need a pair of hiking shoes exchanged that I purchased at REI. When I spoke with the representative I was told I haven’t owned them long enough (I’ve put well over 50 miles on them) and that I would have to pay FULL PRICE for a replacement pair until I could return the pair that’s giving me blisters. The only reason I would ever pay their ridiculous prices is for the shoe return policy but so much for that! Go elsewhere, REI is just another company in it for the money, they don’t care about their customers. I’m infuriated but beyond that I’m stuck with these shoes for the summer. Thanks for absolutely nothing REI.

Original review: June 14, 2021

I have shopped at REI for a long time in SF, I like the way the store is set up, how they display their merchandise. They have many things I am interested in, the staff have been friendly and helpful. I do not feel pressured and enjoy being there, There are good sales, they carry other brands that I like as well. I feel that I get good value. I especially like their selection of sporting shoes both running and hiking. I can unequivocally recommend REI.

Original review: June 1, 2021

REI has been my go to sports store for past 45 years. I have purchased various items from snow skiing, camping, hiking, swimming, for international travels. REI staff are very helpful, knowledgeable, informative and professional that makes one never forget to come back for more.

Original review: May 31, 2021

They have a wide variety of different brands. Employees are always very willing to assist customers. Shoe dept is my favorite. Good selection of types from sandals to hiking boots. I have always had help with fitting them.

Original review: May 30, 2021

REI is my go to site to find boots for hiking and fishing, gear for camping out, food to take and coolers to keep it fresh. They also have a wide selection of tents, sleeping bags, lanterns and nets if needed. Most of their gear is the best price you will find and so you can avoid the need to keep searching. They are nice looking clothing for men and women and often carry items that are out of stock on other sites. Great place and the membership is well worth it.

Original review: May 22, 2021

I want to preface this by stating that I fully support mask wearing and all other required COVID restrictions. I have shopped in many places during the pandemic where the staff has both taken all the precautions and provided excellent service. This was not the case when we visited REI a couple of months ago. The overall experience was very poor. The staff was way more interested in enforcing every element of COVID policy than they were in providing any service. The men's dressing room attendant spent great effort to educate us on how long it was going to take for him to clean and basically told us to go somewhere else. A separate clerk was more interested in the way my wife wore her mask than the fact that the sun glasses she was showing us had permanent scratches in the lenses.

In the shoe department, the person we went to for help actually backed away from us as we approached, as if we were a bio-hazard. To top it off I went into a dressing room, labeled "dressing room" and was interrupted by a banging on the door and a sales person loudly announcing that I couldn't use that room and had to find another. Her attitude was that she had caught me committing some horrendous crime. The checkout guy was the exception; he was amazingly good with a great attitude. However, I'll shop for my overpriced outdoor gear somewhere else in the future.

Original review: May 1, 2021

Disappointed. My name is Daniel, I been a member for more than 8 years. I feel very disappointed with REI, because is the second time this issue happened to me. I bought a Yeti cooler online from rei and when I received the “cooler” in a igloo brand box (in a bad shape) I knew that something was wrong again (2nd time). I opened the box and the cooler looked like a bear was playing with it (super damaged and used). I called costumer service and they told me that they sometimes sell used retuned items. I told her that why they were doing that, because I pay for a premium product (yeti$$$). She only told me that they will give my money back. I told her that they lost a loyal costumer and didn’t care. I don’t it’s legal to sell used products for new at regular price, but not buying there again.

Original review: March 31, 2021

Purchased day pack $47 plus tax. Pack did not fit properly. I failed to read that purchaser is responsible for return cost. Return expense was $15. What a crock? Never again will I purchase from REI Used Gear.

Original review: March 26, 2021

Purchased kayak rack and asked for install. Although not available until the following week, James assisted me in putting the parts together in the store, showing me how it was done. Staff was very helpful and accommodating!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

My husband received a gift card for $50 and had a difficult time scratching off the PIN and when he finally did, the PIN was unreadable. He called the company and they told him they could not help him without a receipt. This was a gift! - (Yes, when we give gift cards we include the receipt, but this individual did not) He had the card # which they should be able to track and see that it had not been used. Very poor customer service!!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

We went to the Brentwood store the first time, after hearing about them. The store was a wreck, items were thrown everywhere and there wasn't any organization. We were over-billed on items because they were placed where they didn't belong. We were told we were getting a $20 gift card to become a member but then it wasn't activated so it was worth nothing.

We had an item to return and the girl assisting us with the return was very rude. We thought we would give the company another try, this time ordering online. We received an update and they were claiming our payment had been rejected. We confirmed multiple times that the funds were sent to them and we received our entire order over the next few days. Now, months later, they are popping back up asking for a new payment method that our institution rejected the payment. Once again, our financial institute confirmed that this is not true. When he logged in to his account, it didn't show that we had spent anything so no advantage to being a member. This is after spending well over $600 at this place! We will never buy from this company again!

Original review: July 13, 2020

I have been a member of REI for 35 years. The company has expanded and seems to have left their values behind in search of profit. As a result, they also hire many employees who are not well trained in customer service or seem to knowledgeable about helping people buy gear that fits. My latest experience had me buying 4 pairs of Chaco sandals over 1 month because none of the shoes fit. I have bought Chaco sandals since the company began. Like REI, the Chaco brand has declined in quality. I purchased the first pair on online May 2020. Chaco had changed the sizing, so my usual size no longer fit. I sent them back on my dime because REI was closed due to COVID. I then bought a different size (curb-side), which didn't fit because each sandal had different lengths of webbing.

I then returned to the store to seek assistance and was treated poorly by the staff and management in Albuquerque, NM. I got another pair and they didn't fit either upon returning home and wearing them on carpet. Because the employees in the shoe department were so unhelpful, I went to Santa Fe, NM, an hour away, and finally found someone who would listen. I returned the sandals and will not buy another pair of Chacos and am seriously considering not renewing my REI membership. I tried reporting the incidence to their customer service line and the employee was a rude young man with no understanding of how to deal with my issue.

Original review: June 4, 2020

I used to LOVE coming to REI. I've spent thousands of $$ of the years there and am so disappointed they have forgotten their roots. Customers is a joke. Bunch of young kids who don't know a thing about the equipment they are selling or the activities the equipment is used for. Their 1 year return policy used to be a life time return policy. Don't believe their 1 year policy either. I bought a pair of shoes that started to tear on the side of 1 shoe and they tried to claim it was due to normal use. If that was the case why don't I have 2 holes, 1 on each shoe. My point is they don't carry quality anymore and they don't stand behind the products they sell either.

Original review: May 31, 2020

Great company. If you like outdoor recreation it's a best choice for you. You can found there all what you need for camping, hiking, biking and a lot other activities. And most important, all staff are very good quality. My wife and I am all time buy their clothing and shoes for hiking and for everyday.

Original review: May 30, 2020

After trying to find a local vendor of swiss army knives I was pleasantly surprised to find that REI in Boulder carried them. When I researched prices online they were pretty pricey plus delivery charges but when I went to REI the price was lower than anything I found online or listed at any other store. The clerk who helped me was very pleasant making for a nice shopping experience.

Original review: May 29, 2020

REI has some of the most helpful staff you'll find anywhere, and they're really experienced in the departments where they work! They're not inexpensive, but their generous return policy has made for that time and again. The only downside I can note, is that their selections used to vary more store to store and now all the stores in any given region seem to carry the same gear which means if I want something different, I have to go to their competition.

Original review: May 28, 2020

Went with a friend and the experience was very good. Friendly knowledgeable staff, no high pressure sales tactics, and frequent sales and incentives. The staff actually uses the equipment it sells and so can fully recommend the right gear and answer questions. There are enough staff on hand so no long waits for help. Classes and training are also often available. Safety is front and center as well as proper use of the gear.

Original review: May 24, 2020

REI has good quality products but most importantly great, knowledgeable staff who are happy to assist. They offer all sorts of classes from rock climbing to kayaking. REI is more than a store. It’s a community.

Original review: May 22, 2020

Sales reps are very knowledgeable, easily approachable, courteous, and willing to spend the time needed to help each customer. Pricing is a bit higher at times, but the service, quality and return policy all explain the possible slightly higher prices on some items.

Original review: May 19, 2020

Always a good selection of quality and prices. Usually I find a great combination of both. This is where REI shines. Whenever I am looking for gear that is of high quality and low prices, I know this is where I need to look!

Original review: May 17, 2020

About a month prior to their yearly sale I called to order about $800 of merchandise. The rep I spoke with was kind enough to tell me I should wait about a month for the annual sale and save about $150. Thankful for this information I told him I would and cancelled my order. Well, the time came and I placed the order. I had several gift Visa cards that I received for Christmas and wanted to use them as the gear was kind of a Christmas gift to myself. In giving the rep the gift card information I had to repeat the card information several times. On one card I was told wouldn't go through and I should contact the card company and verify the card and balance and call back.

I called back the next day and was told that card was fine, however, two other cards were declined. Not understanding what had happened I went online and checked both cards, which were $100 cards and were supposed to use for their full amounts. When I checked I found that each card had a pending charge of odd amounts, i.e. $45..,$63... When I asked the rep why the cards weren't used for the full amounts I was told they are charged based on where the merchandise comes out of. If the merchandise comes from a store the charge is taken for the store, if the merchandise comes from the warehouse then the charge is taken for the warehouse.

In the meantime, the gift cards were locked and couldn't be used because of the REI pending charges. And my order could not be processed unless I used another from of payment. This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. The rep told me this is the fault of the gift card bank and I needed to contact them and try to rectify the problem and call back. I ended up talking to three different reps and each told me something different but all blamed the gift card company.

In speaking with the reps reminded me of calling tech support for a computer software issue and being told I need to contact the manufacturer of the computer. I have made numerous purchases in their stores in received outstanding customer service. As a matter of fact all my camping and backpacking gear is from REI. After the "Go around" with the reps I decided to cancel my order. In calling back to cancel I was told it can't be done as I have to wait 72 hours for the order to cancel itself. That was "par" for the course! I will never be purchasing anything from REI's online sales. I'm taking my $800 order to a company who wants my money. I not going to pay money to be treated this poorly.

Original review: May 17, 2020

Great store for all your hiking and especially if you are planning a fishing trip with the guys. Plenty of fishing gear to choose from. From poles to fishing hooks to sleeping bags to dry food. To Starters for cooking. All ages girls included too.

Original review: May 16, 2020

The employees were amazing and very sensitive to our needs and help request. They spent their time finding and sharing info of the products. The most intimate relationship ever I had as compared to Dick's and Academy Sport stores.

Original review: May 15, 2020

Great customer service. Plenty of items to choose from with varying prices. If they don't have it, they will find it for you if possible. Items range from hiking, camping, clothes, utensils, boots and all equipment needed for most outdoor activities.

REI Company Information