REI

• 3%
  • 1%
  • 82%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about REI?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about REI?
    Customer ServiceSales & MarketingPriceStaff

Reviewed Nov. 10, 2023

I ordered a pair of Hoka walking shoes that were on sale. Price unbelievable!..Well the website said it shipped. A week later decided to call because I never received it. They Said it was on backorder and I will never get it. Tried to purchase another pair with the customer service agent but she had an attitude. I told her the price online (scam) / she quoted another price. She knows nothing about a sale...Well hopefully I will get my money back..If it's too good to be true. It's a scam!

Reviewed Nov. 2, 2023

Bought a bike mid-June. Was riding bike on July 24 and the electric malfunctioned and the pedals started slipping. I was already 10 miles into my bike ride. I had to try and pedal back. It was almost not a doable thing. Dropped the bike off that day. Was told it was a sensor malfunction and needed a new part. Wasn’t available until October. No other options. No replacement bike and no bike I could borrow in the meantime. Called today. 11/2. To ask where the part is as I haven’t been able to ride my brand new bike all summer. Put on hold for 8 minutes only to be told the part is on it way. To say I am utterly disappointed and dissatisfied is an understatement. I have committed now to going on any review page I can find and tell what happened and let you know if you want a bike. Go someplace else. If there was a negative option for stars I would give it.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Sept. 29, 2023

I ordered a pair of shoes online for in store pick up. I went to the store to pick them up. I admit, I was an hour earlier than the estimated pick up time, but they had the shoes in stock (I actually had them in my hands...) -- however when I went to check-out and showed them my order number, they couldn't find it -- it wasn't in their system. So, I couldn't get the shoes (I had used my one-time rewards discount). Their in store staff was apologetic, but they said there was nothing they could do. So, as of now (24 hrs later) I still don't have notification that I can pick up the shoes.

Compare this to Target -- I placed an online order for an in stock item, and got an email 15 minutes later telling me my item was ready for pick up. REI online ordering and instore pick up is a joke. And you can't call anyone to talk to them about it and you can't cancel your order!!! You have to "speak" to a chatbot. What an archaic system -- I expect with the current increase in online ordering REI will likely not survive -- their customer service stinks -- something they used to be known for.

Reviewed Aug. 9, 2023

I went in to exchange a pair of Keen hiking boots that I had only used a few times and already had the front toe peeling off of one of the boots. I had called multiple times to make sure that I would be able to exchange them since I live very far from the nearest REI in Chandler, AZ. Both people I talked to told me I would be able to exchange them and bring them in. After driving 45 minutes one way to the REI, I was then told at the store that the toe peeling off the boot was normal wear and tear and they would not exchange the boots for me. Needless to say, I will not be shopping at REI any longer.

Reviewed June 18, 2023

Tried to return/exchange (n store) a REI brand sleeping back with a malfunctioning zipper. It was used only a few times, and is in perfect condition. Although I have been a member for over 8 years, for reason I do not recall, the purchase does not show up in my purchase history. Maybe was a gift or a sale and didn't use my membership, I don't know... I understand their policy for proof of purchase, but I've been a loyal customer for so long and never abused the return policy. So I would have thought that they can make an exception and get an exchange or store credit, even for a nominal amount less than a similar item. But no such luck.. too bad since I will now stop shopping their store; there are plenty of options out there.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed March 19, 2023

I have been a REI customer for the last 15 years and I will never go back after how I was treated today. I purchased a Thule Motion XT XL from REI #55 on Westheimer in Houston several weeks ago and just got a call on March 15, 2023 that it was ready to be picked up. A copy of the Credit Card receipt is posted on Google reviews. I went there today on March 18, 2023 and was informed that the transaction was cancelled because I NEVER picked it up. I looked at my original receipt from REI and they had put a DIFFERENT customer name on my order (also posted on Google reviews) but had used MY Credit Card. Despite this being 100% REI's fault, they refused to give me the Thule and claimed that my Credit Card had been refunded (it never was).

The Thule was actually still in the store but they had taken it out of the box and they refused to let me try to buy it again, even though I asked multiple times to repurchase the item. The staff there who treated me so rudely was Fareed ** and his manager Carly **. They spent their whole time saying there was nothing they could do and they did not try to resolve the situation. They even had me talk to a Sonja on the phone from their Financial Department who said there was nothing she could do. They were not a bit concerned that I had another customer's information. AVOID these people and this store. They obviously have no problems giving private customer information to other customers, and will not refund you even if they made the mistake. I have since purchased the Thule on the internet from another company and will never shop at REI again.

Reviewed March 2, 2023

They just started a trade-in department & we sent in two brand-new backpacks that we never used, it took over the specified amount of time & the backpacks were identical & they gave us way less for one than the other. You are better off trying to sell it yourself because they are going to turn around and sell it for close to full price.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupStaff

Reviewed Feb. 23, 2023

I went to REI store in Manhattan Beach, CA last Thursday Feb 16, 2023 to get this Yakima 135 base part and paid it. However, cashier told me that 135 part will be sent to shop for installation. REI's employee Dave or David told me to get base 175 from Yakima’s website since was the only part missing to install a rack on my car. I even spoke to Indra **, manager at that time around 1:30 PM and thank her for her service. At the same time, we scheduled installation appointment for tomorrow Thursday Feb 23, 2023 at 1 PM.

I just got a call today Feb 22, 2023 at 8:50 PM mentioning me that store that do not have base part 135 when I got it from this store. Employee who called me mentioned it that store needs to postpone installation for next Sunday Feb 26. However, I asked REI's employee to direct my call to a manager on call. Shena who refuse to provide me with her last name contradicted herself and told me that part may get to store next week on Tuesday, and they will call me back to schedule a new installation appointment. What a terrible customer service just hours before installation on Feb 23 at 1 PM. I went to your store yesterday Tuesday Feb 21 to get cross bars and make sure everything was fine for this appointment. Why that many lies? Why do you guys are not straight forward? Why are you dishonest with clients? I would like to escalate and find a solution before Tuesday. Thank you, Mauricio **

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed Feb. 8, 2023

REI is a great store. However using Ontrac shipping is an unwise choice. Was supposed to receive products 2 days ago. Delayed twice with no explanation. Had to call REI to see if they could add instructions to make the delivery successful. Frustrating seeing out for delivery and then delayed. Sick of checking my emails for updates. Then the updates end up being so vague. It would be nice if they gave a reason for the delay or called to get information from me to have a successful delivery. There are 4 ways to leave packages the Amazon hub, the package room, the mail room, or my doorstep. I least like people coming to the doorstep. All aside delivery companies have their issues but these peeps seem pretty bad.

Reviewed Jan. 31, 2023

An OUTSTANDING experience this Jan 10th at REI in East Hanover. When dealing with ski boots for my daughter both Amanda (and I believe James the manager) delivered truly EXCEPTIONAL experience that enabled us to get to a product that fit appropriately. It's really great to see (in this day and age) that REI is head and shoulders above most in the marketplace...keeps us coming back!

Customer Service

Reviewed Jan. 30, 2023

My nephew has not received his e-gift card that was “sent” on Christmas. We’ve tried 2 emails, but he still doesn’t have it. Now trying to get back the $60 REI owes me. Will be filing a complaint soon.

Staff

Reviewed Jan. 22, 2023

Too bad I no longer shop there. I’ve purchased maybe 8 things from them and was never truly satisfied with their sales staff, everyone seemed to be distracted and fairly disinterested in taking more than 40” with questions it took me 5 days of going to the store to ask the same questions on the tires for a bike finally the repair shop which REI does not own answered my questions.

Reviewed Oct. 8, 2022

The box for the new shoes shipped to store is destroyed. Huge holes in it! This is a gift and it looks terrible. They threw it around in truck. Awful looking gift wrapped with several knife holes. Expensive shoes too! Not very happy. BE CAREFUL WITH PAID MERCHANDISE.

Customer ServicePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Aug. 11, 2022

Very disappointed with the customer service. I purchased the REI Co-op Half Dome SL 2+ Tent on July 13 to be delivered in Canada (QC). When I looked frequently on the REI website, no tracking number was provided, saying it is an international shipment (US -> CA). Since my delivery was one week late already (Aug 8), I asked REI for a tracking number by email.

They provided me with one and I saw that my order had been on hold in a nearby city from July 16 until now (Aug 11) because (a) some paperwork was not send to DHL from REI, (b) import duties were not paid. I am aware those fees are at my expense but DHL never received my information from REI so they were not able to contact me to pay those fees, and REI never told me to pay them nor to contact DHL prior to my email asking for it (almost 1 month after it has been on hold). Now I am without a tent for my next trekking adventure, and I don't even know when to expect the shipment to be delivered... Moreover, despite my explanation, REI never mentioned any compensation for all this trouble.

StaffProcess

Reviewed July 26, 2022

I placed an online order for pickup, and it's been a nightmare with their payment processing system. I ordered two items that would take 2 weeks to ship into store. I paid with a VISA giftcard. It was all good until I received an email a week later letting me know that there was an issue with the payment. It turns out that REI will authorize and reauthorize the payment every week until the order is picked up to ensure sufficient funds. However, this process sucks since the re-release of the original pre-authorization takes 7-10 days for the funds to come back into the gift card. So effectively, there's always a massive delay between when the pre-authorization comes back to the gift card and the upcoming re-authorization, causing the funds to be drained from the gift card.

Not only do things take forever to ship to the store but there's also so much friction associated with paying for the items. I also talked to an REI representative about this issue, and I was soundly dismissed. The conclusion was just "wait it out and see" with an undercurrent of "you shouldn't use an external gift card." I intentionally placed an order for in-store pickup because I thought it'd be more convenient and environmentally friendly. Little did I know that I should've just placed an online shipping order to save on the headache. Also, I was purchasing one of the most popular Teva shoes, why is it not in stock at the largest REI in Colorado?

Customer ServiceSales & Marketing

Reviewed July 15, 2022

Never ever do business with them! Incredibly rude and unreasonable customer service! I bought some items from them a while ago and there were some issues like damaged, soiled and wrong versions. I sent them photo proof but they denied problems. I called them but they didn't want to help. They didn't reply to my messages. When I chatted with them, they disconnected me before the problem was solved! Their 100% satisfaction guarantee is a false advertisement. They eliminate these who they didn't want to do business with and the rest became 100% satisfied. They are thieves as well, as they revoked my membership card which has 10% rebate associated with all my orders.

Reviewed July 6, 2022

Have been buying from REI for years but since last year I notice they always cancel orders without reasons and when asked they will say due to some logistics or management excuses. And the items are also arriving damaged and they refuse to take responsibility. Such a company is doomed to close soon.

Punctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed July 2, 2022

Ordered a Pungo 120 online and shipped to a local store for pick up. REI put a pending charge on my bank account for the amount at that time. Then it came in a week later. I was on the other side of the country and had to wait. They put another pending charge on my account. Then the following week I picked up the kayak. Happy with the product, but they Then charged my account without removing the 2 pending charges. My bank has sent 2 faxes to get them to release the 2 pending charges of $2600.00. It is now a month later and no release of those 2 pending charges. We cannot access this money without a release on both charges. The kayak (Wilderness kayaks) company referred me to this store to purchase this kayak. This was the first time and will be the last time I buy ANYTHING from Rei. The staff was friendly but we continue to get the run around with the accounting department.

Reviewed May 2, 2022

Soles came off both sandals within two years. REI‘s policy for returning is only one year. Keen's warranty is only one year also. Sandals cost over $120. When you pay that much for a pair of sandals and you go on trips around the world you need a reliable product.

PriceStaff

Reviewed April 13, 2022

Do not buy a bike from REI. They are real nice when you go to buy. They say 1 year guarantee, but when you go back with a problem they will charge you. They do not stand behind their guarantee!!! Torrance store.

Customer ServiceSales & Marketing

Reviewed Jan. 17, 2022

On (1/16/2022), around 10:30am, I went to REI to pick up my running shoe (I called 20 mins ahead to make sure is ready). Some guy answered the phone with a lazy, unclear voice, then finally he said that my shoe was ready for pick up. I got there and a red hair girl said that..."It said here that your shoe was picked up". I said, "I just got here". Then she looked again and found my shoe in the back. Does REI has some kind of balance and check a customer picked up his/her item? Or was this guy tried to SCAM me?

Customer ServicePricePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Dec. 13, 2021

I have read the negative reviews and they gave me pause but I purchased anyway and thought I would post my experience. I bought some Kinco gloves seriously discounted (via REI Garage) and I asked for them to be shipped to my store to save me $. They were suppose to show up Friday but I never got a they're here email and since I needed them for a xmas gift exchange I thought I'd better reach out which I did via chat.

The person tried to push me aside but I asked what the delivery truck schedule to the particular store she told me to hold tight she would call the store. She came back in 8 minutes and said the gloves were lost and but she would reorder and send to the house at no cost. I told her they had to arrive in 3 days or it would not work. She upped the shipping to UPS 2day and processed the order. Now the kicker is the gloves were back to the original price, almost $20 more, but that order with 2 day was processed. REI had to lose $ on this transaction. I was happy enough to come here and post my very positive experience. Way to make this customer's experience great REI.

Customer Service

Reviewed Dec. 9, 2021

Ordered a pair of Hoka sneakers. Wrong color was sent. Returned item within two days. Tracked the return and REI has had the return for three weeks and I still haven't been refunded. I have never had such poor customer service from any on-line ordering. Better off to stick to companies who will refund your return promptly and not hold onto your hard earned cash.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Nov. 23, 2021

I have been a member (#**) of REI for 10 years plus now and I never had any issues in the past 10 years. I ordered 2 kids jackets and 2 adults jackets from REI with an estimated date of arrival of 20th. I could have Amazon it because the dates generally provided by Amazon is more to the point. But I didn’t, as I have been a fan and a big proponent of REI from ages and because of me, number of my friends are REI members now too. My order did not arrive on 20th and it's 23rd now and I still don’t have my order. I needed the order because of travel planned for thanksgiving and we are leaving tomorrow. I chat and called customer service many times. The first time I talked to them was on 20th as I was worried that my order didn’t arrive. The customer service representative said that generally the delivery date is an estimate and they can't do anything until it's 23rd.

I called the shipping company yesterday “Lasership” as the last known location of my package was their Baltimore office. The person was really helpful and said that they can't track my shipment and if they find it they will call me. I never received the call. Then I called the customer service and the REI customer service representative was really nice and for the first time someone at REI actually understood my concern and said that if the shipment does not arrive by tomorrow (which is today now) she will replace my order free of cost. (I was stupid to believe that as I have paid almost $400 for my order already.) So today 23rd of November 2021, I contacted the customer service again and told them about my issue and I am travelling. The representative said she can ship it to me everything (well she could have done it 2 days ago when I asked, now I leave tomorrow and shipping will defeat the purpose).

Second she said I can go to the store and pick up 3 jackets and she will refund for the 4th (the store is 120 miles round trip from my house, I can still go and pick up the jackets, but how will I get compensated for my troubles and harassment). She said 20% discount. Lol. 20% on 400 dollars is 40 dollars. And 40 dollars for:
    1. Not receiving my package.
    2. Amount of time spent waiting on cue for call, talking and chatting with customer service for REI and LaserShip.
    3. Driving 120 miles round trip to pick up the jackets after full day of work.

4. Not receiving all 4 jackets.

I have never actually seen a worst customer service and if I would have known, I wouldn’t have ever spent a penny at REI. I am cancelling my order and actually not going to buy a single thing from REI ever.

Coverage

Reviewed Oct. 15, 2021

Did not honor their policy on returns. Seven months ago I purchased a pair of La Sportiva hiking boots. They told me it had it one year return policy. I tried to return them today and they told me they would not take them back because they were too worn. They are hiking boots. I wear them three times a week and do 3 miles each time. This is not a lot of hiking. But they did not honor their return as I was told when I purchased that I had one year to return them if they became damaged. They tore out on the seams on both shoes. In all my years hiking this has never happened on any boot I have ever owned. This is clearly a flawed product. The tread is still intact. It was not overly worn. I don’t want this to happen to anyone else. Please do not trust the one-year policy of returns. They did not honor that today. As I purchased these boots seven months ago and they refused to take them back.

Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed Sept. 21, 2021

The prices for repairs at this place is ridiculous. I took my bike there to have a shock installed a week ago, it’s the “promise date” today and the shop manager said it would probably be ready Saturday and here I am on Tuesday with no transportation. They also had no idea when it would be ready after the day they promised. Terrible customer service, terrible work.

Reviewed Aug. 31, 2021

For many years REI was our go to, trusted outdoor supply store. They always stood behind anything we bought there either replacing or repairing items that failed, even ones that weren't their own brand. This no longer is the case especially for tents. They just want to send items out to 3rd party retailers for repair at customers' expense or expect you to fix problems yourself, even when the problem is with their own brand tent.

We purchased a Quarter Dome T2+ and have only used it a few times and had it in storage the past 4 years. Now we have discovered that all of the factory taped seams are flaking off, and research shows this is a widespread problem. We've also discovered that REI has discontinued this model, I'm sure due to the poor long term quality. However have they done anything for customers who purchased this tent? Not that I can see. They just refer you to articles on how to clean and reseal the tent yourself.

If this was a rare problem this would make sense, however there is way too many complaints which makes it appear to be a manufacturing/design problem. Cheap materials. Now I will never trust any REI product or the company to stand behind it. This company has changed so much and now is just another outdoor store with no integrity. Beware of putting your trust in their products.

Reviewed Aug. 1, 2021

While they claim 1 year return policy, they will not honor it for used shoes. I bought 2 pairs of Columbia shoes and both failed in the same location after 3 days of use in rocky terrain. Since we were on camping trip in another country we could not return them immediately. By the time we got them back it was 4 months since we had bought them. They refused return even though the wear and tear was only a week worth, but the product had failed with stitches. They said it's a warranty claim with Columbia and Columbia will like to hear from me since they have a defective product. Do not advertise 1 year return policy.

Reviewed July 27, 2021

They will cancel you on a day before the event just because they did not have enough participants. I am not scheduling any events with them again. This is to be expected when hosting a group event, they many not get many participants every day.

Reviewed July 11, 2021

Due to “guidelines”, I am forced to refrain from all caps, but this should be in all caps, never ever again, will I trade in a $300 tent for Rei to come, falsely back with, there was a “rip/tear” in a gently used mess than 6yr old Kelty tent with a poor design. Congratulations rei, I will no longer shop at your store and I will literally cut up the credit card bearing your name as well.

REI Company Information