2. Shopping
  3. Sporting Goods

3.6/5 (138 ratings)

About REI

REI Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about REI?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about REI?

Original review: June 14, 2021

I have shopped at REI for a long time in SF, I like the way the store is set up, how they display their merchandise. They have many things I am interested in, the staff have been friendly and helpful. I do not feel pressured and enjoy being there, There are good sales, they carry other brands that I like as well. I feel that I get good value. I especially like their selection of sporting shoes both running and hiking. I can unequivocally recommend REI.

Original review: June 1, 2021

REI has been my go to sports store for past 45 years. I have purchased various items from snow skiing, camping, hiking, swimming, for international travels. REI staff are very helpful, knowledgeable, informative and professional that makes one never forget to come back for more.

Get buying tips about Sporting Goods Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 31, 2021

They have a wide variety of different brands. Employees are always very willing to assist customers. Shoe dept is my favorite. Good selection of types from sandals to hiking boots. I have always had help with fitting them.

Original review: May 30, 2021

REI is my go to site to find boots for hiking and fishing, gear for camping out, food to take and coolers to keep it fresh. They also have a wide selection of tents, sleeping bags, lanterns and nets if needed. Most of their gear is the best price you will find and so you can avoid the need to keep searching. They are nice looking clothing for men and women and often carry items that are out of stock on other sites. Great place and the membership is well worth it.

Original review: March 26, 2021

Purchased kayak rack and asked for install. Although not available until the following week, James assisted me in putting the parts together in the store, showing me how it was done. Staff was very helpful and accommodating!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2021

I have been a member (#**) of REI for 10 years plus now and I never had any issues in the past 10 years. I ordered 2 kids jackets and 2 adults jackets from REI with an estimated date of arrival of 20th. I could have Amazon it because the dates generally provided by Amazon is more to the point. But I didn’t, as I have been a fan and a big proponent of REI from ages and because of me, number of my friends are REI members now too. My order did not arrive on 20th and it's 23rd now and I still don’t have my order. I needed the order because of travel planned for thanksgiving and we are leaving tomorrow. I chat and called customer service many times. The first time I talked to them was on 20th as I was worried that my order didn’t arrive. The customer service representative said that generally the delivery date is an estimate and they can't do anything until it's 23rd.

I called the shipping company yesterday “Lasership” as the last known location of my package was their Baltimore office. The person was really helpful and said that they can't track my shipment and if they find it they will call me. I never received the call. Then I called the customer service and the REI customer service representative was really nice and for the first time someone at REI actually understood my concern and said that if the shipment does not arrive by tomorrow (which is today now) she will replace my order free of cost. (I was stupid to believe that as I have paid almost $400 for my order already.) So today 23rd of November 2021, I contacted the customer service again and told them about my issue and I am travelling. The representative said she can ship it to me everything (well she could have done it 2 days ago when I asked, now I leave tomorrow and shipping will defeat the purpose).

Second she said I can go to the store and pick up 3 jackets and she will refund for the 4th (the store is 120 miles round trip from my house, I can still go and pick up the jackets, but how will I get compensated for my troubles and harassment). She said 20% discount. Lol. 20% on 400 dollars is 40 dollars. And 40 dollars for:
    1. Not receiving my package.
    2. Amount of time spent waiting on cue for call, talking and chatting with customer service for REI and LaserShip.
    3. Driving 120 miles round trip to pick up the jackets after full day of work.

4. Not receiving all 4 jackets.

I have never actually seen a worst customer service and if I would have known, I wouldn’t have ever spent a penny at REI. I am cancelling my order and actually not going to buy a single thing from REI ever.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

Did not honor their policy on returns. Seven months ago I purchased a pair of La Sportiva hiking boots. They told me it had it one year return policy. I tried to return them today and they told me they would not take them back because they were too worn. They are hiking boots. I wear them three times a week and do 3 miles each time. This is not a lot of hiking. But they did not honor their return as I was told when I purchased that I had one year to return them if they became damaged. They tore out on the seams on both shoes. In all my years hiking this has never happened on any boot I have ever owned. This is clearly a flawed product. The tread is still intact. It was not overly worn. I don’t want this to happen to anyone else. Please do not trust the one-year policy of returns. They did not honor that today. As I purchased these boots seven months ago and they refused to take them back.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

The prices for repairs at this place is ridiculous. I took my bike there to have a shock installed a week ago, it’s the “promise date” today and the shop manager said it would probably be ready Saturday and here I am on Tuesday with no transportation. They also had no idea when it would be ready after the day they promised. Terrible customer service, terrible work.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

For many years REI was our go to, trusted outdoor supply store. They always stood behind anything we bought there either replacing or repairing items that failed, even ones that weren't their own brand. This no longer is the case especially for tents. They just want to send items out to 3rd party retailers for repair at customers' expense or expect you to fix problems yourself, even when the problem is with their own brand tent.

We purchased a Quarter Dome T2+ and have only used it a few times and had it in storage the past 4 years. Now we have discovered that all of the factory taped seams are flaking off, and research shows this is a widespread problem. We've also discovered that REI has discontinued this model, I'm sure due to the poor long term quality. However have they done anything for customers who purchased this tent? Not that I can see. They just refer you to articles on how to clean and reseal the tent yourself.

If this was a rare problem this would make sense, however there is way too many complaints which makes it appear to be a manufacturing/design problem. Cheap materials. Now I will never trust any REI product or the company to stand behind it. This company has changed so much and now is just another outdoor store with no integrity. Beware of putting your trust in their products.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2021

While they claim 1 year return policy, they will not honor it for used shoes. I bought 2 pairs of Columbia shoes and both failed in the same location after 3 days of use in rocky terrain. Since we were on camping trip in another country we could not return them immediately. By the time we got them back it was 4 months since we had bought them. They refused return even though the wear and tear was only a week worth, but the product had failed with stitches. They said it's a warranty claim with Columbia and Columbia will like to hear from me since they have a defective product. Do not advertise 1 year return policy.

REI Company Information