3.8/5 (181 ratings)

About REI

REI Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about REI?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about REI?

Original review: Aug. 11, 2022

Very disappointed with the customer service. I purchased the REI Co-op Half Dome SL 2+ Tent on July 13 to be delivered in Canada (QC). When I looked frequently on the REI website, no tracking number was provided, saying it is an international shipment (US -> CA). Since my delivery was one week late already (Aug 8), I asked REI for a tracking number by email.

They provided me with one and I saw that my order had been on hold in a nearby city from July 16 until now (Aug 11) because (a) some paperwork was not send to DHL from REI, (b) import duties were not paid. I am aware those fees are at my expense but DHL never received my information from REI so they were not able to contact me to pay those fees, and REI never told me to pay them nor to contact DHL prior to my email asking for it (almost 1 month after it has been on hold). Now I am without a tent for my next trekking adventure, and I don't even know when to expect the shipment to be delivered... Moreover, despite my explanation, REI never mentioned any compensation for all this trouble.

Original review: July 26, 2022

I placed an online order for pickup, and it's been a nightmare with their payment processing system. I ordered two items that would take 2 weeks to ship into store. I paid with a VISA giftcard. It was all good until I received an email a week later letting me know that there was an issue with the payment. It turns out that REI will authorize and reauthorize the payment every week until the order is picked up to ensure sufficient funds. However, this process sucks since the re-release of the original pre-authorization takes 7-10 days for the funds to come back into the gift card. So effectively, there's always a massive delay between when the pre-authorization comes back to the gift card and the upcoming re-authorization, causing the funds to be drained from the gift card.

Not only do things take forever to ship to the store but there's also so much friction associated with paying for the items. I also talked to an REI representative about this issue, and I was soundly dismissed. The conclusion was just "wait it out and see" with an undercurrent of "you shouldn't use an external gift card." I intentionally placed an order for in-store pickup because I thought it'd be more convenient and environmentally friendly. Little did I know that I should've just placed an online shipping order to save on the headache. Also, I was purchasing one of the most popular Teva shoes, why is it not in stock at the largest REI in Colorado?

Get buying tips about Sporting Goods Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 15, 2022

Never ever do business with them! Incredibly rude and unreasonable customer service! I bought some items from them a while ago and there were some issues like damaged, soiled and wrong versions. I sent them photo proof but they denied problems. I called them but they didn't want to help. They didn't reply to my messages. When I chatted with them, they disconnected me before the problem was solved! Their 100% satisfaction guarantee is a false advertisement. They eliminate these who they didn't want to do business with and the rest became 100% satisfied. They are thieves as well, as they revoked my membership card which has 10% rebate associated with all my orders.

Original review: July 6, 2022

Have been buying from REI for years but since last year I notice they always cancel orders without reasons and when asked they will say due to some logistics or management excuses. And the items are also arriving damaged and they refuse to take responsibility. Such a company is doomed to close soon.

Original review: July 2, 2022

Ordered a Pungo 120 online and shipped to a local store for pick up. REI put a pending charge on my bank account for the amount at that time. Then it came in a week later. I was on the other side of the country and had to wait. They put another pending charge on my account. Then the following week I picked up the kayak. Happy with the product, but they Then charged my account without removing the 2 pending charges. My bank has sent 2 faxes to get them to release the 2 pending charges of $2600.00. It is now a month later and no release of those 2 pending charges. We cannot access this money without a release on both charges. The kayak (Wilderness kayaks) company referred me to this store to purchase this kayak. This was the first time and will be the last time I buy ANYTHING from Rei. The staff was friendly but we continue to get the run around with the accounting department.

Original review: May 2, 2022

Soles came off both sandals within two years. REI‘s policy for returning is only one year. Keen's warranty is only one year also. Sandals cost over $120. When you pay that much for a pair of sandals and you go on trips around the world you need a reliable product.

Original review: April 13, 2022

Do not buy a bike from REI. They are real nice when you go to buy. They say 1 year guarantee, but when you go back with a problem they will charge you. They do not stand behind their guarantee!!! Torrance store.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2022

On (1/16/2022), around 10:30am, I went to REI to pick up my running shoe (I called 20 mins ahead to make sure is ready). Some guy answered the phone with a lazy, unclear voice, then finally he said that my shoe was ready for pick up. I got there and a red hair girl said that..."It said here that your shoe was picked up". I said, "I just got here". Then she looked again and found my shoe in the back. Does REI has some kind of balance and check a customer picked up his/her item? Or was this guy tried to SCAM me?

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

I have read the negative reviews and they gave me pause but I purchased anyway and thought I would post my experience. I bought some Kinco gloves seriously discounted (via REI Garage) and I asked for them to be shipped to my store to save me $. They were suppose to show up Friday but I never got a they're here email and since I needed them for a xmas gift exchange I thought I'd better reach out which I did via chat.

The person tried to push me aside but I asked what the delivery truck schedule to the particular store she told me to hold tight she would call the store. She came back in 8 minutes and said the gloves were lost and but she would reorder and send to the house at no cost. I told her they had to arrive in 3 days or it would not work. She upped the shipping to UPS 2day and processed the order. Now the kicker is the gloves were back to the original price, almost $20 more, but that order with 2 day was processed. REI had to lose $ on this transaction. I was happy enough to come here and post my very positive experience. Way to make this customer's experience great REI.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2021

Ordered a pair of Hoka sneakers. Wrong color was sent. Returned item within two days. Tracked the return and REI has had the return for three weeks and I still haven't been refunded. I have never had such poor customer service from any on-line ordering. Better off to stick to companies who will refund your return promptly and not hold onto your hard earned cash.

REI Company Information