REI

• 6%
  • 2%
  • 72%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about REI?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about REI?
    Verified purchase

Reviewed May 28, 2024

REI used to have the best warranty of any store. But not any more, at least on shoes. I paid $118 for a set of walking shoes that I only wore sparingly, maybe twice a week for a couple of hours each. And by use I mean in the house or on sidewalks, I don't run and never hiked in them. They began coming apart after 6 months and were impossible to use after 8 months because plastic pieces were coming through the cloth and jabbing me. I tried to return them and was denied. I was told that's how long they're supposed to last. This is against their own written policy of a one year warranty but they would not budge. I left them in the store and will never buy from REI again after 31 years of membership. It's not the same REI.

Customer Service

Reviewed May 18, 2024

REI - Not the same company as of 5 years ago. Terrible customer support. I will not purchase again from REI. I was told first that I would not have to pay for a return label for an item not as described. When I called again joking about the label I was informed that I would have to pay for the return.

Get buying tips about Sporting Goods Stores delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

PriceStaff

Reviewed May 18, 2024

Just posting here that REI lost another 15 year customer today. They would not take a bike rack back that I could not attach my bike to, and I was going to buy another suitable rack instead. The salesperson just insisted that the bike would definitely fit the rack while I literally showed them that it was impossible. Will blacklist REI and never shop from them again. In the long run it's better for me anyway. I can find better deals online these days. I used to like to go to the store so I did not mind the higher prices but the membership questions and my recent experience have turned me off.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed April 30, 2024

In the old days, REI staff were pros and really knew their products but my latest experience was a big disappointment: They don't seem like they been trained properly, both for product knowledge and respectful customer service regarding not making the customer feel guilty about an online purchase return.

Sales & MarketingPriceStaff

Reviewed April 23, 2024

Just look above how 70 percent plus gave this place 1 or less stars. I agree I had a horrible shopping experience buying sneakers. First every pair I picked they did not have. Second sales guy was pestering me to buy the 30.00 membership in which he stressed I can spend that 30 bucks card WHENEVER I wanted. He failed to tell me it had expiration date and so did the nasty cashier man. So I got screwed out of my bonus card…The store I went to in the UTC mall Sarasota Florida is not. Pretty inviting store. It smells awful when you walk in and it’s very dark and gaudy looking.

The man was nice BUT annoying with the constant badgering of spending an extra 30 bucks on top of their way overpriced sneakers on this stupid membership which gets you NOTHING but pads. The CEO pockets of the company. Don’t fall for it. I got taken and when I found out I returned the sneakers and bought them in the store right next door DSW. For a heck of a lot cheaper! I sure you all need to read all these negative reviews which all speak the same. Do not shop at REI.

CoveragePrice

Reviewed Feb. 2, 2024

REI refuses to honor their one year return policy even though that’s what they push you every time you go to their store to become a member because you get a 1-return policy. I bought two high-end shorts but the size was too small. I was deployed and when I came back, I tried to return it and they refused to accept it even though it’s only worn once. They said it’s been six months and they wouldn’t take it back. Sorry I was deployed for work and the size is too small! It looks like REI is going out of business as they are laying off their employees and they’re refusing to honor what they promote as a one-year 365 day moneyback guarantee.

I shop at REI and paid them three times the price of something that I can buy on Amazon is to know that I can get a one year return policy, and they’re not gonna be the honor their return policy anymore. I’ll just shop on Amazon and save money versus giving REI the money 3x more.

Staff

Reviewed Feb. 1, 2024

Questions regarding sunglass case and service person had a hard time registering how to help me find the brand-name case. Never offered to ask the manager for help. Seem very spacey. Person seemed to be in a hurry, and never gave any options to my questions.

Customer Service

Reviewed Jan. 12, 2024

While the company stocks quality products, their transactional capabilities are borderline fraudulent. Store pick-up items were delayed 20 min: at the counter I'm told my Amex card has canceled half my order. I had to call AmEx on the spot to discover that some bizarre intermediary that REI uses had refunded half of it! And now, in the store, they wanted it back. The clerk told me this happens all the time.

Customer ServicePriceStaff

Reviewed Dec. 17, 2023

I bought a pair of walking shoes last May from REI and wanted to return them because they are a little too big and their prices had dropped by $90.00. The manager refused to return them and said the price drop isn’t a good reason for returning the shoes. She was very rude and unprofessional. Don’t believe REI’s one year return policy and customer satisfaction. They will come up with any excuses to not return your product.

Verified purchase
      CoveragePriceStaff

Reviewed Nov. 10, 2023

I purchased a Patagonia women's hoody jacket at full price on November 4th. I visited the store on November 10th with a 20% discount coupon that I could use from that day onwards, intending to return the jacket I originally bought and purchase it again at the sale price. However, the staff refused to make the exchange, stating that it goes against their company policy and that returns are only allowed when the customer is dissatisfied with the product. I hadn't even worn the jacket, the tags were still attached, and it had been less than a week since I bought it. It's very disappointing to be denied when I intended to use a coupon to repurchase the item at a discounted price.

In the United States, there are other stores that have a policy of refunding the price difference if you bring the receipt when the item goes on sale, all for the benefit of the customer. I can't understand why REI co.op has a policy that doesn't allow such exchanges. It's very embarrassing and frustrating. And the manager made me feel so humiliated.

REI Company Information