1.46/5
Based on 46 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

REI

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 18, 2018

49 REI Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I received several items as gifts, which all came from REI. One item had a gift receipt and was valued at about $130. The other items were small and had a combined value of about $35. All items were new, unopened and in original packaging. REI gladly issued a gift card for the one item that had the gift receipt but they refused to issue a gift card or even do an in-store exchange for the other smaller items, which they carried at their store. They insisted that I had to have a receipt (it was a gift) OR the membership number of the person who bought it for me. When I questioned this policy, I was told that I could have purchased these items at any number of stores and without proof that it came from their store, they would not issue any store credit or even allow an exchange. I've NEVER experienced this type of restrictive return policy at ANY store that I've shopped at.

If your store policy is that an item can't be exchanged or returned for a store credit without a receipt, then that should be clearly posted throughout the store, as this is NOT a typical return policy. After leaving the store, the first thing that I did was go down the street to Home Depot (they also carried the same gear ties and carabiners). They gladly issued a store credit for the balance of what I did not exchange. My second call with to the person who had made the REI purchase for me. I thanked them again for the gift but asked that they never buy me anything at REI again and please do not purchase any REI gift cards for me. Their return policy is unreasonable. For $0 out of pocket, REI could have kept me as a customer but instead, they got the $35 for the non-returnable items which came from their store but they lost me as a customer. In addition, I used the $130 gift card to make an online purchase and have it delivered to the store.

The order confirmation indicated that the estimated delivery date to the store was on a Sunday. When I called the store, I was told that they only receive deliveries on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. So the first available delivery date to the store would actually be the FOLLOWING Tuesday. I had ordered these items to take on a camping trip and given the deceptive delivery date, I would not have these items in time for my trip. Frankly, I don't know what has happened to REI. They used to be very customer service oriented. Now they just seem desperate. I found Amazon to have a better selection of merchandise, at better prices and faster, FREE delivery to my home. REI wanted $20 to deliver the same order to my home but given that I had the REI gift card to use, I had no choice but to make the purchase through them. Sad to see what used to be a great store to shop at, sink to this level.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I placed an order from REI on December 29, expected to arrive Jan. 5 for in store pickup, an option that seemed to be the fastest and most secure method of shipping. It was neither of those. I had a poor experience with REI where they failed to do a few things: 1) Better outline the fact that ordering to store means you as a customer are also forfeiting the ability to track your package. OR 2) At the very least provide basic shipment tracking when ordering to the store. 3) Notify the customer when significant events occur that may result in delays. 4) Take accountability, expediting a replacement shipment when an item is significantly delayed with no good reason.

5) Update expected arrival dates, it feels insulting that the order page still has a Jan. 5th expected arrival date, especially when any staff can figure out not only when shipments arrive, but from which distribution centers they arrive from. 6) Prioritize their duty to customers with active purchases overstocking shelves. Unfortunately, when ordering to store there is no ability to track your shipment, only an expected delivery date. There was a large blizzard on Jan. 4, which understandably should've delayed my package - however there was no update from REI. After multiple phone calls, I found that all regularly scheduled deliveries after the blizzard were met - three of which were from the distribution center where my order was last tracked to. This, to me, implies the package was lost.

So I called them once again to see if they could mark the package as lost and overnight the last available unit to me - however since the package wasn't already marked as lost they couldn't do that, but I don't see any clearer proof that the package is lost, so it is beyond me how a package would ever be marked as lost. Their advice was for me to order another unit and to pay the next day shipping myself. Ridiculous. Further, their reasoning regarding why it was late more than 5 days was delays from holiday restock, so maybe their trucks were too full to carry an additional shoebox - something that should've been factored into the original shipment date, not an excuse for delays.

That statement also implies that they care less about fulfilling an actual guaranteed sale than they do about stocking their shelves with items that may take weeks to sell, they care less about the customer and more about the sale, because once you order a product there's little in the way of recourse for an awful experience in receiving the item purchased.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I ordered a $125 shirt online for my son for Christmas. I ordered a large. REI sent a small. I contacted them the day after Christmas. They said they would email me a return label for UPS so that I could return the item. I didn't receive the label. After calling them 4 times, talking to different people each time, they still couldn't get me a label via email. We tried three different email addresses and could never get the label, even though the REI rep said it was emailed. My email was working just fine so it had to be on REI's end. Long story short, it is now January 6th and they are going to snail mail me a return label. They still have my $125 dollar, mind you. It was their error, not mine, and I still don't have my money back.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I bought a pair of $300.00 Saloman Ski Boots, they were sized much larger than they should have been, I have skied for 40+ years. I sent them back, after paying out of pocket $40 UPS. The boots arrived 12/26, they have not even begun to issue a refund or look at boots. REI answered my email and said it could be weeks before they even look at the return.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I made an online order of a product advertising made in the USA, when the items arrived one of the items was made in the USA, the other two were made in Vietnam. I called REI and made my complaint about what had happened. The first person on December 2nd, 2017 was a great help and offered me a credit or a replacement, I took the replacement option. Two weeks later the items never came so I called REI again and asked for the status of my order, I got the runaround. My items was not going to be replaced and if I wanted a refund I needed to go to the local store. The second person stated this item was not advertised made in the USA and both items were comparable. I was not treated fairly and my issue was not resolved. This is my last and final purchase from REI and I will not grace the store with my presence! Thanks for the 100% customer satisfaction, it is a great policy. You need to live it!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about REI?

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I have shopped at REI for years and made several online purchases. I hadn't received a confirmation for a package that I ordered with over $400 of Christmas presents that was to be shipped to the store as have all of my previous orders. The items were shipped to an old address I had on file. When I contacted REI they said there was nothing they could do because it was my mistake and "if you want to be gung ho about it, you can go and try to collect the items from the people who now live at that address". Are you joking? They show that one of the items was refused at the old address, and I still won’t be refunded on that item until it is received back. Shows how much REI cares about keeping their customers.

They should have just re-sent the items to the store for pickup and I would've been happy. Instead they lost a customer and my family members will not be getting their Christmas presents. Thanks REI, never again! I have had a similar problem with an Amazon purchase, contacted Amazon, issue resolved, super easy with no questions asked, that's customer service. REI needs to catch up or they will end up being history like Sports Authority! Terrible customer service! I'm shocked and extremely disappointed.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

Purchased a canoe online and went for the shipping option, which added another $150 to the purchase but we thought it was worth it. We were provided a delivery date and time of delivery. My wife took the day off and waited all day. Turned out, they didn't have it on the truck but said that it would be the first delivery of the day the next day. Another day off from work and still no delivery. Finally, after several phone calls, the delivery was made the third day at 10 pm!!! Meanwhile, REI had no idea what the problem was and never contacted us after the complaints or even offered to drop the shipping charges. Extremely bad customer service and their use of a third or fourth party delivery service makes no sense. Take note REI that this shipping subcontracting is killing your reputation. We will never order from REI again.

Original review: June 9, 2017

Have had mixed results at REI, been a member for years, but being treated like a serf by the store managers who act like they're owed a ** just for helping you with an order that THEY lost in transit takes the cake. Ordered a pack online, was to arrive the week before a pack trip. Didn't. Then didn't come when the store said it was to come (many days late). Then the store manager said it was lost in shipment on the way, but alluded that they'd let me buy a pack of equal value from the store if I begged for their graciousness enough (the pack ordered was heavily discounted, discontinued item from the online garage sale, so the only thing in-store of equal value would be a child's knapsack). In the end, the nasty, curt manner of the manager has sealed my resolve to buy my gear anywhere BUT at REI.

Original review: May 9, 2017

I ordered a REI Nao+ Headlamp in Oct 2016. 3 weeks later they canceled my order without telling me they would do that. They came back in stock in Nov 2016, 3 weeks later they again canceled my order without telling me. After complaining and complaining they apologized and offered me a 20% off coupon (big deal, it was the fall sale where we all get 20% off). Now it's May 2017 and I wanted to try again and they are back in stock. The price went up $30 and I asked if they could honor the original price.

They said basically, "Too bad, so sad." I asked, "Why you made an error and you promised to honor the price." They said the model changed. I told them it didn't because it's a new item. She then disconnected the chat saying, "Thank you for considering REI" (something like that). I miss the old REI. They changed for sure. If you don't believe me try to return something.

Original review: April 11, 2017

My husband and I have waited to use our 20% off coupons on the website (as the in-store options were not suited for our needs) and by 11 pm AK standard time our 20% off coupons were no longer valid; DESPITE the fact that I specifically asked an IN-STORE WORKER when our 20% offer ends (because we are generally not considered part of the continental U.S.). He had no idea and he did not bother to ask. He was not helpful at all and he did not inquire any further help.

My husband and I have spent a significant amount of money at REI, and I would expect to be able to use my 20% off until midnight AK standard time. I am so disappointed I am unable to do so. I will no longer shop at REI except to cash out my $155.00 dividend...which exemplifies how much money I've spent there. I can't believe I wasn't able to use my 20% off within the allotted time. If they're going to include Alaska in their customer service base, they need to accommodate their customers!

I have spent so much time researching and comparing products...to be able to decide which product is best suited for us, only to be denied our 20% off before the deal even ends. SO disappointing. Please reconsider. Alaskan customers get (royally) screwed when it comes to times. I am writing this review 30 minutes before midnight AK time...obviously, because I've been denied access to my rightfully deserved 20% off. Thanks.

Original review: March 16, 2017

Paid $22 for guaranteed 2-day delivery, where as 3-day was free. After product failed to deliver (no weather issues), chatted with online representative (Manuel) who advised to wait another day for delivery, and wouldn't agree to refund 2-day shipping until I called again next day. No explanation of why the 2-day delivery wasn't met. Told him repeatedly that calling every day for me is a time-expense I cannot afford, especially as I was traveling next day. Poor customer-service, poor 2-day delivery promise!

Original review: March 13, 2017

For many years I was a fan of REI. But after two very bad experiences with their customer service (which used to be the main reason to drive to their stores) I've made a promise to never set a foot on their store ever again. The latest of the two awful encounters with REI happened yesterday. I purchased a GPS/HR monitor watch from REI two years ago. After a few months the heart rate strap stopped working. Back then REI customer service was great. They exchanged the HR a strap and gave me a new one. A couple of months after that it happened again and this time they replaced the whole watch.

Last week after a some months of use, my HR strap stopped working again. I drove to the store to ask if it was still covered by their warranty. One very nice lady at customer service spent about 20 minutes looking at the many transactions related to my purchase. She then called another lady that took another 10 minutes to look at transactions. At this point the process was a bit frustrating but I knew that because of the many exchanges it would be hard for them to understand the scenario.

Then, the second lady called a gentleman. This person without even looking at the computer immediately told me in an extremely rude way that if my HR failed again was because I was doing something to them to break them. I tried to explain the situation to him and he immediately shut me down and told me that it was the only explanation. I told him that the straps are poor quality, and I asked him to give me my old strap back and he refused. I had to ask him three times until he finally gave me my old strap back. I was extremely frustrated with the whole situation. And while I was walking away, this gentleman told loudly to the other ladies at customer service "You see? problem solved!". I guess that's how REI treats customers now, as problems to be "solved". Again, I have given REI the benefit of the doubt for a few months but I have to sadly say that REI is no longer the place it used to be for shopping.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2017

It's Feb 21st as I write this, right in the middle of ski season. I needed some new goggles right away. Both the glorious new $$$$$ temple in Bellevue and the Issaquah stores were essentially out of 95% of their stock and weren't getting more. They had a few random pairs, nothing like the selection shown on their website. Staff told me "Oh, ski season is over." It's a 30 minute drive to the Bellevue store for me. REI is run for its members (according to its propaganda). I expect different regular commercial profit oriented stores to have seasonal things and to move from winter stock to spring stock by early winter. REI's members are out there skiing for maybe 3 more months, yet they're done with skiing? Not what a store supposedly run for its members is supposed to do. I can hear their CPA complaining to me about cash flow and parking unsold stock, yeah, yeah, yeah. You claim to be running the place for members.

If it was really for members, they would have warehouse style stores, not the incredibly expensive temples to corporate greed they have built. They would support members during the various seasons by not moving to the next season in the middle of the first. They could have just in time computer inventory to avoid too much overstocking so they could keep one or two items in various costs, selections and styles in stock. This happened to me early last fall when bicycle season "was over". I didn't get the memo to stop bicycling and needed something but their shelves were stripped of the bicycle stuff I needed. I've gotta say, in conclusion, that Amazon carries lots of goggles, and in fact it carries all the stuff that REI does. Frequently cheaper with no shipping charges. REI is all about corporate profit. I've been a member for a long time but am getting tired of how commercial the place has gotten.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

Went to the store today hoping I can return and exchange my bag with the front mesh pocket torn. It's been over and a half year since I bought it but I was hoping the 100% satisfaction guarantee is gonna cover it and gonna exchange it for another backpack without a front mesh pocket. Talked to customer service I was shut down, the lady said I can buy a patch from them and place it on the torn area.so I spoke with the manager because the idea of putting a patch is asinine. I'm not a hippie (no offense meant). He said I can bring it to a place where they fixed things like that. I said, "Why don't REI fix it?" and he said, "Oh we don't fix things. Blah blah blah." Left the store disappointed.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

Ordered needed gear for a trip that I needed quickly. Paid for 3 day and was told that I would get it by Friday. After order got an immediate email saying I wouldn't get it until the following Monday. Monday I was told I would get it on Tuesday and now being told I will get it by Wednesday. That is eight days to get an item I was told I would have in three. I even found it cheaper on other sites but needed it badly so I paid more thinking REI would back their products. What had happened to them? Not only have they become competently mainstream and never have the higher end gear but they use to care about helping you with your trips. Now they just tell you it's too bad.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

REI has everything I need re: sports related clothing/equipment! REI carries everything I need or want related to sports. I feel their prices are competitive. There's such a variety of brand names and plenty of styles to choose from whether it be equipment or clothing. The store is located in Portland which is not far from my Washington residence so I don't need to pay any sales tax. REI also has many sales throughout the year. They even offer vacation adventures!!!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2016

I have never had an issue with REI. They just finished their Winter Sale, and I ordered a jacket on the last day. It was just "delivered" to me in Portland. I received underwear that was supposed to go to Tennessee instead of a jacket. It's a similar color, but I cannot believe how careless they were! My name was on the shipping, and another name was inside. Of course, they're closed today for the holiday. I just moved here and desperately need a rain jacket. Thanks REI.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2016

Very tricky promotions with a joke membership. You wouldn't find what you want all the time. Worst behavior for the customer services as well. People in the customer service have the best rudeness in the U.S. Stick with Amazon or Zappos. REI is just worthless.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2016

Used to be a loyal customer of REI for nearly 20 years but recently they have really gone downhill. In April I ordered a rucksack to be used just for a planned holiday - I ordered it well before the holiday but it was never dispatched. I rang up and tried to hurry them up - they said they would dispatch it - but didn't. Eventually a few days before my holiday I cancelled it as it was not going to arrive in time and purchased something else locally. Then a few weeks ago I purchased 12 dresses. 10 arrived; 2 were cancelled for no reason. I liked one of the dresses so ordered 2 more like it - deliberately choosing 2 identical dresses to spread the (overseas) postage cost across 2 items. They sent one and cancelled the other! IDENTICAL ITEMS. No warning. No one asked if I wanted just 1, they just ASSUME they can send just one at the same postage cost and not the second. That's terrible. Very unhappy with them.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2016

I recently purchased a Patagonia vest and it was too large. I reordered a smaller size by phone and promptly returned the original vest at my expense with a tracking number so I knew they received it. After 10 days, and no email about receiving it, I decided to call. I found out they have minimal customer support services. Here's the thing - they are "organic." Returns and emails are taken care of "when they get around to it." I must wait weeks for my refund, and maybe, just maybe, I might receive an email regarding my return. However I shouldn't count on it. Fyi - they certainly have great service when placing an order but zero service regarding returns. According to the phone rep, they are a "co-op " and depend on members (pay $20) to work the phones, hence the slow service. Wow! Bottom line - I expect good customer service. I'm paying money for merchandise AND service. Goodbye REI!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2016

I have been a loyal customer of REI and enjoyed the shopping experience in Portland, Clackamas store. However this time I had to visit REI Tigard Store as I wanted to buy a Road Cycle which was only available in Tigard Store. The salesperson(s) in the cycle department were least interested in helping and overall the sales service was poor. Usually, the experience in other REI location, the salesperson are very helpful and they help/guide in making a decision by giving some insight on the pros and cons. I will never visit this location (cycle department).

Original review: June 16, 2016

I usually really like REI but this experience was terrible. I went hiking in NH in June, 2016 with Black Diamond hiking poles. I had those rubber tips on them and just bought them in April 2016 at REI. I lost both of them either in the mud or between some rocks. The tips weren't the ones you screw in but just the ones you put on the end of the poles. They were on tight. I wrote Black Diamond and they said those tips can fall off easier than the screw in types. They couldn't offer me another pair. I thought this was lame. I went to REI and basically they said the same thing. I was out of luck. I've been an REI member for about 12 or 14 years and they couldn't even give me an extra pair. They cost $5. Geez! One star if even.

Original review: June 6, 2016

I purchased two items during the REI sale on 5/27. I chose the "ship to store" option because my items did not meet the minimum amount to qualify for free shipping. There is a REI store not too far from my house so I didn't think it would be an issue. I promptly received an email from the company saying that my order had been received and that I could track its progress through their website. I logged on and they said my items had an estimated arrival date of 5/31. On 5/31 I had not received an email stating that my package was available for pick up, so I waited until the following day to call the store. They said my items were still showing as "in transit" and I should wait for an email that says they are available for pickup.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt, I waited 5 days before I contacted REI customer service again because as it just so happens I checked my bank account and REI has JUST taken payment for the order I placed over a week ago. I contacted customer service via chat and their representative said that I was charged today because my items were SHIPPED TODAY (6/6). So they were never "IN TRANSIT". Their website was misleading and my stuff is still on the other side of the country. I was told to wait "a few more days" for my items to arrive in the store. I'm disappointed and annoyed. Lame, lame, lame REI. Thank goodness my trip isn't for another 2 weeks.

Original review: June 2, 2016

As I was entering a store this afternoon in Milwaukee Wisconsin, I noticed an employee placing a ladder against the support beams in front outside entry area. As I came out, there were several bird nests and baby birds lying on the ground. The employee had knocked the nests down, instead of waiting another week or two for the baby birds to be gone. I had been in the store a few days earlier and there was no indication of parent birds bothering the customers, this was completely unnecessary and disgusting. The company prominently references their commitment to environmental causes and the time and money which they devote to these causes, yet apparently they do not care about the wildlife living around their stores. This is blatant example of corporate hypocrisy!

Original review: May 11, 2016

Bought an Arc'teryx jacket at REI. Their brand is expensive. After washing it shrunk. REI said they have a warranty so I contacted their company in Canada. Horrible customer service. They said it takes three weeks. First they have to pick it up at the border once a week in WA after measure the jacket. WHAT? They need to assess before sending me a new one if qualify. Arguing with me. What is warranty for? Their tag does not say anything about not putting the jacket in the dryer. They are saying it's my fault. Completely deceiving the consumer. What is the warranty for? Never buy Arc'teryx.

Original review: May 7, 2016

Purchased a pair of shoes 1/2 size too big. Went to exchange for a size smaller. I did not have a receipt and all they could do was keep asking me for a nonexistent receipt. The receipt that they give you says nothing on it that you need a receipt to exchange, only for a refund. I found them, arrogant, smug and more concerned with convincing me to join their co-op than with finding a solution. I finally came up with looking up my bank account on my phone to show them proof of purchase. They reluctantly said ok and I was finally done with them. Why is it that you can go to any store, Macy's, Home Depot and even Walmart and at least exchange or get a store credit without a receipt. I was very disappointed with their attitude and lack of interest in solving a problem.

Original review: March 22, 2016

Purchased a pair of Tretorn sneakers. No mention on the REI site that they were tinted lavender, the image looked bright white. Emailed REI to pay for return, no response. Took 25 minutes to get a call through, and they refused to pay.

Original review: March 14, 2016

I ordered Columbia Jacket on sale online. To reach free delivery, I bought some other stuff too. However, they cancelled my Columbia Jacket order and just shipped me the rest of them. I was told I was never charged for the Jacket. It's a SCAM! I think they never had it but they use it as sale "BAIT" for their site. I talked to their online chat to get help. They told me I will have to ship it to them (my expense) to get my money back (in 2-3 weeks). I was asking for more clarification but the person online disconnected me. Stinky service!

Original review: March 3, 2016

Clearly the boots I bought were misfigured. They were discounted less than half price and now I know why. No other boots a size 'up' ever fit like these, and were clearly either mislabeled or a reject. However, this company REI does NOT give you a shipping label to even return THE SAME PAIR for exchange. That's poor customer service and they'll never get my business again. Shame on you, REI!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2015

We bought those shoes a few month ago. Have horrible, hideous experience with Merrell Jungle Mocs - Kids'. Guess what... in 3 month they were frayed - holes in the sole from outside and inside. Looks like Chinese cheap crap, sold in REI store for $50+ for kids. Rei - shame on you!

REI Company Information

www.rei.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use