3.3/5 (45 ratings)

About REI

REI Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about REI?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about REI?

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

I have read the negative reviews and they gave me pause but I purchased anyway and thought I would post my experience. I bought some Kinco gloves seriously discounted (via REI Garage) and I asked for them to be shipped to my store to save me $. They were suppose to show up Friday but I never got a they're here email and since I needed them for a xmas gift exchange I thought I'd better reach out which I did via chat.

The person tried to push me aside but I asked what the delivery truck schedule to the particular store she told me to hold tight she would call the store. She came back in 8 minutes and said the gloves were lost and but she would reorder and send to the house at no cost. I told her they had to arrive in 3 days or it would not work. She upped the shipping to UPS 2day and processed the order. Now the kicker is the gloves were back to the original price, almost $20 more, but that order with 2 day was processed. REI had to lose $ on this transaction. I was happy enough to come here and post my very positive experience. Way to make this customer's experience great REI.

Original review: June 14, 2021

I have shopped at REI for a long time in SF, I like the way the store is set up, how they display their merchandise. They have many things I am interested in, the staff have been friendly and helpful. I do not feel pressured and enjoy being there, There are good sales, they carry other brands that I like as well. I feel that I get good value. I especially like their selection of sporting shoes both running and hiking. I can unequivocally recommend REI.

Get buying tips about Sporting Goods Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 1, 2021

REI has been my go to sports store for past 45 years. I have purchased various items from snow skiing, camping, hiking, swimming, for international travels. REI staff are very helpful, knowledgeable, informative and professional that makes one never forget to come back for more.

Original review: May 31, 2021

They have a wide variety of different brands. Employees are always very willing to assist customers. Shoe dept is my favorite. Good selection of types from sandals to hiking boots. I have always had help with fitting them.

Original review: May 30, 2021

REI is my go to site to find boots for hiking and fishing, gear for camping out, food to take and coolers to keep it fresh. They also have a wide selection of tents, sleeping bags, lanterns and nets if needed. Most of their gear is the best price you will find and so you can avoid the need to keep searching. They are nice looking clothing for men and women and often carry items that are out of stock on other sites. Great place and the membership is well worth it.

Original review: May 2, 2022

Soles came off both sandals within two years. REI‘s policy for returning is only one year. Keen's warranty is only one year also. Sandals cost over $120. When you pay that much for a pair of sandals and you go on trips around the world you need a reliable product.

Original review: April 13, 2022

Do not buy a bike from REI. They are real nice when you go to buy. They say 1 year guarantee, but when you go back with a problem they will charge you. They do not stand behind their guarantee!!! Torrance store.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2022

On (1/16/2022), around 10:30am, I went to REI to pick up my running shoe (I called 20 mins ahead to make sure is ready). Some guy answered the phone with a lazy, unclear voice, then finally he said that my shoe was ready for pick up. I got there and a red hair girl said that..."It said here that your shoe was picked up". I said, "I just got here". Then she looked again and found my shoe in the back. Does REI has some kind of balance and check a customer picked up his/her item? Or was this guy tried to SCAM me?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2021

Ordered a pair of Hoka sneakers. Wrong color was sent. Returned item within two days. Tracked the return and REI has had the return for three weeks and I still haven't been refunded. I have never had such poor customer service from any on-line ordering. Better off to stick to companies who will refund your return promptly and not hold onto your hard earned cash.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2021

I have been a member (#**) of REI for 10 years plus now and I never had any issues in the past 10 years. I ordered 2 kids jackets and 2 adults jackets from REI with an estimated date of arrival of 20th. I could have Amazon it because the dates generally provided by Amazon is more to the point. But I didn’t, as I have been a fan and a big proponent of REI from ages and because of me, number of my friends are REI members now too. My order did not arrive on 20th and it's 23rd now and I still don’t have my order. I needed the order because of travel planned for thanksgiving and we are leaving tomorrow. I chat and called customer service many times. The first time I talked to them was on 20th as I was worried that my order didn’t arrive. The customer service representative said that generally the delivery date is an estimate and they can't do anything until it's 23rd.

I called the shipping company yesterday “Lasership” as the last known location of my package was their Baltimore office. The person was really helpful and said that they can't track my shipment and if they find it they will call me. I never received the call. Then I called the customer service and the REI customer service representative was really nice and for the first time someone at REI actually understood my concern and said that if the shipment does not arrive by tomorrow (which is today now) she will replace my order free of cost. (I was stupid to believe that as I have paid almost $400 for my order already.) So today 23rd of November 2021, I contacted the customer service again and told them about my issue and I am travelling. The representative said she can ship it to me everything (well she could have done it 2 days ago when I asked, now I leave tomorrow and shipping will defeat the purpose).

Second she said I can go to the store and pick up 3 jackets and she will refund for the 4th (the store is 120 miles round trip from my house, I can still go and pick up the jackets, but how will I get compensated for my troubles and harassment). She said 20% discount. Lol. 20% on 400 dollars is 40 dollars. And 40 dollars for:
    1. Not receiving my package.
    2. Amount of time spent waiting on cue for call, talking and chatting with customer service for REI and LaserShip.
    3. Driving 120 miles round trip to pick up the jackets after full day of work.

4. Not receiving all 4 jackets.

I have never actually seen a worst customer service and if I would have known, I wouldn’t have ever spent a penny at REI. I am cancelling my order and actually not going to buy a single thing from REI ever.

REI Company Information