1.64/5

73 REI Consumer Reviews

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I purchased a gift for my daughter and paid express shipping for it to arrive at her home in NY by 12/25. Somehow it got routed not to her but to me in CA. I texted customer support in a panic and they were amazing. They stopped the shipment and reordered a new express delivery that arrived in NY on the 26th-a day later but in time for what they needed - at no charge to me. I have always liked this company but this extra step earned my loyalty.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I ordered a Women's Large North Face Thermoball jacket and was sent a Men's Medium jacket. Through REI's online chat feature, I was able to quickly converse with a representative about the error, including sending pictures of the tag that said it was Women's Large and the sewn-in label that showed Men's Medium. She quickly apologized for the error and said she would send the correct jacket. I explained I wanted it for a trip to Europe and was leaving in less than a week. She explained that she would ship it with overnight delivery along with a postage-paid return label. I received the jacket the next day. I think REI has great customer service.

Get expert buying tips about Sporting Goods Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

REI offers an amazing selection of gear! Their staff are outdoor enthusiasts who have great knowledge in the department. REI offers outstanding membership benefits and backs their products with 100% satisfaction guarantee. I've been a member here for over 10 years!

Original review: June 10, 2019

Worse credit card on earth - US BANK. Literally- I traveled and lived all over the world, am a premier member on several types of credit cards - from European to Asian banks and American banks. US Bank is the worst. REI should just drop them. Long story short, they messed up my cards and the auto pay I set up and I ended up paying $25 +$35 late fees, interest charges. US Bank customer service on the phone is the worst. They are outsourced and untrained. Fast food chains drive through have better customer service than these guys.

Original review: May 30, 2019

Nearly $200 worth (including a pair of hiking boots) of merchandise arrived in a flimsy envelope package that had 3 holes and the top unsealed. I'm lucky everything arrived. They need to do a better job of preparing items for shipping.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about REI?

Original review: May 13, 2019

I recently became a member of the REI Co-op. So far, my experience with them has been less than satisfactory. My first two online purchases both had to be returned for separate reasons. The first purchase was a pair of REI Sahara convertible hiking pants. I am physically fit and thin (5'10" and weigh 168 lbs). Typically, I buy pants with a 34-36 inch waistband and have no trouble fitting into them. Often, I find that the 36" waist is too loose fitting. The Sahara pants I purchased were listed as large with a 34-36 waist.

When the pants arrived and I tried them on, I was astonished at how tight fitting they were. In fact they were so small I could barely even fit my legs into them. My second purchase was a Marmont 15 degree sleeping bag. After the sleeping bag arrived, upon inspection, I found that there was absolutely NO INSULATION in the ENTIRE bottom of the bag. I went back and checked the REI website for the specs etc. associated with the Marmont bag. There was absolutely NO INFORMATION on the site that mentioned this "hollow bottom" aspect of the bag. Two purchases, two returns. Both were the result of poor product quality and inaccurate advertising.

To make matters worse, the first customer service rep I spoke with promised to send a return label for the pants, but never did. During a follow up call several months later after receiving the poor quality sleeping bag, the REI rep commented to me that her "notes" indicated that the label was promised to me, but for some reason never sent. So a new label was sent that enabled me to send BOTH products back to REI. To compensate for my "bad experience" and time spent with the whole return process, the customer service rep included a 25.00 dollar gift certificate. This seemed like a nice gesture, but seeing how I lost the discount on the other 2 items I purchased and had to hassle with packing and mailing back the unwanted items, this 25.00 was a rather feeble gesture. So in summary, my welcome to REI was WAY LESS than desirable. I would suggest you avoid REI. Quality products and great customer service? I think NOT.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I became a member recently for the purpose of attending the Garage Sale as I was in the market for several items. The evening before the sale, I WENT INTO THE STORE to ask at the desk what I needed to know and do, where and when I needed to show up and spoke with a clerk at the checkout (and made a purchase). I went early, waited in my car for an hour and then waited outside in the cold for a half hour. When I got to the door, I was told I needed a TICKET! How would I get this previously unmentioned ticket? Apparently they were handed out at 6 that morning!

Gee, I guess the clerk forgot to mention that! I went into the store and explained that I had made a visit specifically to get all the information I needed and was able to prove that hours-before visit, but I was not allowed in. I asked to speak with a manager, but was told that he was "very busy" back at the warehouse. I was told I could "come back later" when it would be open to everyone. Seriously? The correct response would have been, "We are SORRY for our employee's error- COME ON IN!" Needless to say, I did not go back, and will not, ever.

Original review: March 7, 2019

One order invoice for $200 yielded 7 pending transactions and 4 posted transactions to my credit card. When confronted, REI stated that it will all resolve to the amount on my emailed invoice. Fraud alert. Charged back! The audacity of a co-op *cult* that charges customers retail value for mostly damaged items at *garage sales*. And stupid desperate customers who buy those items.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I purchased several items from REI. Over the course of 10 days they made several mistakes with my order and ended up over charging me. Initially they owed me $324 and they promised a refund. Within a week they had overcharged me $2100 and have still not refunded anything. Now they say it will take the 5 days to refund the overcharges.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I purchased a $300 pair of snowboard boots at this store (Fort Collins, CO). I was told that they would hold up and that they were of good quality. I told the rep the bindings that I was planning on using them with. I was told they also sold the same bindings, and that this was a good match. After ONE DAY of use, the rubber started to separate from the boot and there is a hole in the heel. The manager of the store refused to refund or exchange the product. He claimed that this was "normal wear and tear". I explained it had only been one day. He then tried to blame me for using the bindings that his own sales rep said would be fine to use. This store has gone downhill, overall. The level of product knowledge, professionalism, and customer service is just about non-existent. The hassle, lack of sound advice, and non-existent return policy has made this store no longer worth the dividend, or any perceived sale price.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I ordered a rain jacket through REI Used Gear. They send me the wrong item and when I call REI I'm told they are a 3rd party different company. Really? Nothing states this even the Used Gear Tab says REI. The company name REI told me is no-where to be seen? This whole process is insulting, frustrating and for me a total waste of time. Of course REI can't do anything about an item I bought from REI and the Used Gear department has no phone number! This is my first experience with REI and this will be my last!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

If you order and everything goes well, then great, but if you have an issue it seems to be another animal altogether. I ordered shoes from REI and they were marked as delivered by the postal service but were not delivered to me. I understand this is the postal services fault but when I contacted REI they do not want to help or involve themselves until the order and time frame meets their very specific criteria. I would think a company trying to keep their reputation up would be championing for their customer with the shipping companies trying to find the lost package. I so far have had to be the one doing all the legwork to find it. I didn't pay 100$ to play Sherlock Holmes and not get my purchase. So far they have taken my money and do not care that I did not get what I paid for. Very disappointed with their customer service and REI has lost all future business from me due to a lack of genuine care for the customer.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Another company with a slick website that leans toward automatized customer service. Believe me, it's easier to access your health benefits than do business with this company. Word to the wise, Stay Away!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I bought a pair of Salomon GTX shoes size 9. I have bought and worn out 3 pair of these over the last several years size 9. I saw a pair on their used site and thought it was a great opportunity to save some money so I bought them despite being charged $7.50 for shipping. When I received them they were way too small despite also being size 9 Salomon GTX shoes. I had to pay another $14 to ship them back. So it cost me $21 to try on a pair of shoes. I will NEVER purchase anything from REI again as long as I live and will do everything in my power to let people know that they suck. When I called their customer service area they just said sorry but that is their policy. DO NOT EVER BUY FROM REI!!!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

My first experience with REI in Mass. I like the store and the staffs. They were knowledgeable and friendly. I was so excited when the Yonker NY store opened. I went there many times and was not impressed with the salesperson. They are inexperience and not friendly. I started to order online and not shop as much in Yonkers NY location. Today was the worst experience with REI Yonkers location. The store manager Michael suggested me I should shop at Norwalk Ct store instead of Yonker which I will from now on.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

After ordering a pair of shoes and received a tracking number in the order email which never worked, even after the shoes were received. After contacting REI four times each rep gave a different response ranging from they just switched to a new shipping company to it must be a tech issue and would take time to research. To add to it, the shoes were the wrong size and needed to be returned, which is all out of pocket. I was told I had to place a new order first, then afterwards they would credit the account.

So the new order is placed, same tracking issue with all new excuses as to why it doesn't work and three different answers on refunding or crediting my account for the first order. Worst customer service when it comes to returns, ordering, and shipping. And REI calls themselves customer oriented with a go outside and embrace life philosophy. How about getting inside and caring enough to resolve customer complaints!

Original review: July 27, 2018

I was told by the cashier that REI membership gives you 10% off on everything for every purchase. I interpreted that as getting 10% at the time of purchase on anything I buy. This is not the case. Instead, you get "dividends" that accumulate and at the end of the year, you get back dividends. You're not guaranteed 10%. (They say you get the dividends as a refund, but I'm not sure if that means you get cash back or just store credit. I never went through with my first purchase online so I don't know, but seeing how shady they are with tricking you into buying the membership, I don't trust them anymore).

Original review: July 23, 2018

This is the first negative review I have ever written. I cannot in good faith recommend REI. I am an avid hiker, and I bought a serious (and expensive) backpack at REI last June. I had previously been using a different company, but there was a good sale and I thought I would try out REI. I used it a few times last summer — only normal use, nothing that a backpack like this shouldn’t be built for — and experienced some minor tearing on the front of the pack. Not a huge deal, more a design flaw in where they place mesh (fragile fabric on the outside of the pack is probably not a great plan when hiking through forests and occasional brush!). Also had issues with things falling out of the mesh & drink holders -- many questionable design decisions, but didn't bother me so much.

This summer, the first backpacking trek I went on, on the first day, one of the strap buckles (across chest) snapped off for no apparent reason. The pack was not overloaded, and there are no signs of tearing or disturbance where the strap was. For the entire week, I was dealing with the nuisance of this strap — trying to tie it onto my pack in various ways so that I could still support the pack properly and not overuse one part of my body and hurt myself. (I did end up developing a shoulder injury due to the imbalance of my pack.) On one climb, the strap simply fell off and down the mountain.

I went to REI upon my return to explain the situation and ask for a repair or exchange. The employee I worked with was very nice, examined the bag and agreed this was a product defect and there were no signs that it was my fault, but once she looked at the receipt, she was also very firm that store policy was that they wouldn’t do anything for me after 1 year after purchase (by the time I got back from my trip, it was 2 weeks past one year — and if their products are only made to last for the one year and break immediately afterwards, I am particularly unimpressed!).

My experience with the other company I've always bought from in the past (MEC) has always been that they stand by their product 100% and if you have ANY issues whatsoever — EVEN when it’s not their fault, and no matter how many years it’s been — they will either repair or replace your product, free of charge. They know the quality of their products is just that good, and that’s how they get loyal customers. I will never spend a penny at REI again, which is a shame because I liked many of their products from afar. But, in the end, I need products of high quality that I know I can depend upon on the trail!!!

Original review: June 6, 2018

High quality products, helpful staff, great customer support. REI is a great store - I've bought tents and a bike carrier and all kinds of random camping gear from them over the years. Their prices are probably a bit higher than other places, so I don't go as often as I'd like, but it's one of my favorite stores. I highly recommend it! I have the REI credit card, so I get 1% back on my dividend every year. I use it as much as I can, because it's fun to have REI money to spend in the spring.

Original review: May 5, 2018

The return policy differs from online garage sales compared to in store garage sales. Buyer beware. Absolutely no returns for in store garage sale items even if in store sales personnel help you by fit size model. Does not matter. It seems like an unreasonable policy.

Original review: May 2, 2018

Placed an online order on 4/30/2018. REI overcharged my credit card $1,000 in addition to the original $400 purchase. As of 4pm on 5/2/18 they still have no explanation for me and have not put the money back in my account. This has caused many problems for me and my bank account. REI has not offered any assistance. Customer service sucks and I will never purchase from REI again. Beware of online purchases and them double or triple billing your account and taking days or weeks to fix it.

Original review: April 14, 2018

I'm creating an account here because I saw this page while randomly googling for some product at REI, and thought the reviews were outrageous. Read ~10 of them and the two points I saw come up most often were dissatisfaction with the membership, and dissatisfaction with the return policy. These complaints are ridiculous.

The $20 membership gives you 5% cash back on your purchases at the end of the year. The first $400 you spend pays for this membership (5% of $400 is $20). One big ticket item and the membership it will pay for itself. In one year alone I got back more than $100. If you don't benefit from the membership you either lack patience or you were never going to spend more than $400 in your lifetime here and couldn't do the math to figure that out. That's your mistake, not REIs.

The return policy on the other hand is the most outrageous thing to complain about. REI's return policy is the best in an industry that is known for good return policies. It is the main reason to shop here. Any item can be returned within one year of purchase with receipt (or without if you have a membership, because they keep records of member's purchases so that they can calculate the correct yearly rebate amounts). This applies regardless of whether or not the item was used or what condition it's in. They used to not even have the 1 year limit but had to change it because people were abusing the system. Heard about people returning 30 year old kayaks after a lifetime of use and getting their full refund back. This return policy is GOLD for trying out new footwear, backpacks, or other expensive items where fit is crucial. It is the only reason I shop at REI.

The only reason not to shop at REI given this policy is that their stock is targeted towards casual users, and is limited as far as specialty items are concerned. You want an ultralight weight high quality expeditionary sleeping bag? You won't find it here. You want specialized climbing hardware for doing new big wall routes? Not here. Ultralight skimo racing gear? Good luck. But for the kinds of stuff your 2-weeks-off-a-year urbanite wants, this place rocks. And generally speaking, I understand why the specialty items don't exist in store. I'm not sure why they don't offer a better selection online though, and it would very nice if they did so that I could benefit from their return policy.

To put things in perspective, I spent 4 months last year ordering ski touring boots and liners from different sites and consulting with a local boot fitter before I settled on something that worked (tried out 7 boots and 4 liner combinations). If REI sold the kind of ski boots I wanted I would have just ordered a couple pairs, taken them out to a resort to try out for a weekend instead of going to a boot fitter, and then returned whatever I didn't like with full confidence that what I had would work. As it was I had to get the boots from a different retailer, which would not accept used returns, so no chance to try before I committed to the boot, forcing me to instead rely on a boot fitter's guesswork, and what could have been a 2 week process was stretched out across several months.

Original review: April 14, 2018

This company sells membership for $20 promising to return your membership as dividends! For 2 yrs I have been trying to get my fee back or dividends but kept dragging the promised payment, FIRST call they said I will have the check in couple of weeks, the SECOND call they said I have to wait for few months, THIRD call, they said they only send out checks in January! Just be careful of this company, you don't get any benefits out of paying your membership.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I was sold a membership with promises that I would save a lot of money on a "Member's Only Coupon" that the company sends out every April. I specifically told the guy selling me the membership that I wanted to buy a bike and he said I would save a bundle with the coupon. After receiving the coupon and attempting to order and buy the bike, the customer service folks then explained that bikes are not a part of the coupon. This is a very dishonest business practice and I have received a refund for my "membership" and will no longer shop in their stores. Like their products, but it's not worth being duped when trying to shop with them.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I received several items as gifts, which all came from REI. One item had a gift receipt and was valued at about $130. The other items were small and had a combined value of about $35. All items were new, unopened and in original packaging. REI gladly issued a gift card for the one item that had the gift receipt but they refused to issue a gift card or even do an in-store exchange for the other smaller items, which they carried at their store. They insisted that I had to have a receipt (it was a gift) OR the membership number of the person who bought it for me. When I questioned this policy, I was told that I could have purchased these items at any number of stores and without proof that it came from their store, they would not issue any store credit or even allow an exchange. I've NEVER experienced this type of restrictive return policy at ANY store that I've shopped at.

If your store policy is that an item can't be exchanged or returned for a store credit without a receipt, then that should be clearly posted throughout the store, as this is NOT a typical return policy. After leaving the store, the first thing that I did was go down the street to Home Depot (they also carried the same gear ties and carabiners). They gladly issued a store credit for the balance of what I did not exchange. My second call with to the person who had made the REI purchase for me. I thanked them again for the gift but asked that they never buy me anything at REI again and please do not purchase any REI gift cards for me. Their return policy is unreasonable. For $0 out of pocket, REI could have kept me as a customer but instead, they got the $35 for the non-returnable items which came from their store but they lost me as a customer. In addition, I used the $130 gift card to make an online purchase and have it delivered to the store.

The order confirmation indicated that the estimated delivery date to the store was on a Sunday. When I called the store, I was told that they only receive deliveries on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. So the first available delivery date to the store would actually be the FOLLOWING Tuesday. I had ordered these items to take on a camping trip and given the deceptive delivery date, I would not have these items in time for my trip. Frankly, I don't know what has happened to REI. They used to be very customer service oriented. Now they just seem desperate. I found Amazon to have a better selection of merchandise, at better prices and faster, FREE delivery to my home. REI wanted $20 to deliver the same order to my home but given that I had the REI gift card to use, I had no choice but to make the purchase through them. Sad to see what used to be a great store to shop at, sink to this level.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I placed an order from REI on December 29, expected to arrive Jan. 5 for in store pickup, an option that seemed to be the fastest and most secure method of shipping. It was neither of those. I had a poor experience with REI where they failed to do a few things: 1) Better outline the fact that ordering to store means you as a customer are also forfeiting the ability to track your package. OR 2) At the very least provide basic shipment tracking when ordering to the store. 3) Notify the customer when significant events occur that may result in delays. 4) Take accountability, expediting a replacement shipment when an item is significantly delayed with no good reason.

5) Update expected arrival dates, it feels insulting that the order page still has a Jan. 5th expected arrival date, especially when any staff can figure out not only when shipments arrive, but from which distribution centers they arrive from. 6) Prioritize their duty to customers with active purchases overstocking shelves. Unfortunately, when ordering to store there is no ability to track your shipment, only an expected delivery date. There was a large blizzard on Jan. 4, which understandably should've delayed my package - however there was no update from REI. After multiple phone calls, I found that all regularly scheduled deliveries after the blizzard were met - three of which were from the distribution center where my order was last tracked to. This, to me, implies the package was lost.

So I called them once again to see if they could mark the package as lost and overnight the last available unit to me - however since the package wasn't already marked as lost they couldn't do that, but I don't see any clearer proof that the package is lost, so it is beyond me how a package would ever be marked as lost. Their advice was for me to order another unit and to pay the next day shipping myself. Ridiculous. Further, their reasoning regarding why it was late more than 5 days was delays from holiday restock, so maybe their trucks were too full to carry an additional shoebox - something that should've been factored into the original shipment date, not an excuse for delays.

That statement also implies that they care less about fulfilling an actual guaranteed sale than they do about stocking their shelves with items that may take weeks to sell, they care less about the customer and more about the sale, because once you order a product there's little in the way of recourse for an awful experience in receiving the item purchased.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I ordered a $125 shirt online for my son for Christmas. I ordered a large. REI sent a small. I contacted them the day after Christmas. They said they would email me a return label for UPS so that I could return the item. I didn't receive the label. After calling them 4 times, talking to different people each time, they still couldn't get me a label via email. We tried three different email addresses and could never get the label, even though the REI rep said it was emailed. My email was working just fine so it had to be on REI's end. Long story short, it is now January 6th and they are going to snail mail me a return label. They still have my $125 dollar, mind you. It was their error, not mine, and I still don't have my money back.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I bought a pair of $300.00 Saloman Ski Boots, they were sized much larger than they should have been, I have skied for 40+ years. I sent them back, after paying out of pocket $40 UPS. The boots arrived 12/26, they have not even begun to issue a refund or look at boots. REI answered my email and said it could be weeks before they even look at the return.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I made an online order of a product advertising made in the USA, when the items arrived one of the items was made in the USA, the other two were made in Vietnam. I called REI and made my complaint about what had happened. The first person on December 2nd, 2017 was a great help and offered me a credit or a replacement, I took the replacement option. Two weeks later the items never came so I called REI again and asked for the status of my order, I got the runaround. My items was not going to be replaced and if I wanted a refund I needed to go to the local store. The second person stated this item was not advertised made in the USA and both items were comparable. I was not treated fairly and my issue was not resolved. This is my last and final purchase from REI and I will not grace the store with my presence! Thanks for the 100% customer satisfaction, it is a great policy. You need to live it!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I have shopped at REI for years and made several online purchases. I hadn't received a confirmation for a package that I ordered with over $400 of Christmas presents that was to be shipped to the store as have all of my previous orders. The items were shipped to an old address I had on file. When I contacted REI they said there was nothing they could do because it was my mistake and "if you want to be gung ho about it, you can go and try to collect the items from the people who now live at that address". Are you joking? They show that one of the items was refused at the old address, and I still won’t be refunded on that item until it is received back. Shows how much REI cares about keeping their customers.

They should have just re-sent the items to the store for pickup and I would've been happy. Instead they lost a customer and my family members will not be getting their Christmas presents. Thanks REI, never again! I have had a similar problem with an Amazon purchase, contacted Amazon, issue resolved, super easy with no questions asked, that's customer service. REI needs to catch up or they will end up being history like Sports Authority! Terrible customer service! I'm shocked and extremely disappointed.

REI Company Information