2. Shopping
  3. Sporting Goods

4.0/5 (153 ratings)

About REI

REI Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about REI?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about REI?

Original review: June 14, 2021

I have shopped at REI for a long time in SF, I like the way the store is set up, how they display their merchandise. They have many things I am interested in, the staff have been friendly and helpful. I do not feel pressured and enjoy being there, There are good sales, they carry other brands that I like as well. I feel that I get good value. I especially like their selection of sporting shoes both running and hiking. I can unequivocally recommend REI.

Original review: June 1, 2021

REI has been my go to sports store for past 45 years. I have purchased various items from snow skiing, camping, hiking, swimming, for international travels. REI staff are very helpful, knowledgeable, informative and professional that makes one never forget to come back for more.

Get buying tips about Sporting Goods Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 31, 2021

They have a wide variety of different brands. Employees are always very willing to assist customers. Shoe dept is my favorite. Good selection of types from sandals to hiking boots. I have always had help with fitting them.

Original review: May 30, 2021

REI is my go to site to find boots for hiking and fishing, gear for camping out, food to take and coolers to keep it fresh. They also have a wide selection of tents, sleeping bags, lanterns and nets if needed. Most of their gear is the best price you will find and so you can avoid the need to keep searching. They are nice looking clothing for men and women and often carry items that are out of stock on other sites. Great place and the membership is well worth it.

Original review: March 26, 2021

Purchased kayak rack and asked for install. Although not available until the following week, James assisted me in putting the parts together in the store, showing me how it was done. Staff was very helpful and accommodating!

Original review: May 22, 2021

I want to preface this by stating that I fully support mask wearing and all other required COVID restrictions. I have shopped in many places during the pandemic where the staff has both taken all the precautions and provided excellent service. This was not the case when we visited REI a couple of months ago. The overall experience was very poor. The staff was way more interested in enforcing every element of COVID policy than they were in providing any service. The men's dressing room attendant spent great effort to educate us on how long it was going to take for him to clean and basically told us to go somewhere else. A separate clerk was more interested in the way my wife wore her mask than the fact that the sun glasses she was showing us had permanent scratches in the lenses.

In the shoe department, the person we went to for help actually backed away from us as we approached, as if we were a bio-hazard. To top it off I went into a dressing room, labeled "dressing room" and was interrupted by a banging on the door and a sales person loudly announcing that I couldn't use that room and had to find another. Her attitude was that she had caught me committing some horrendous crime. The checkout guy was the exception; he was amazingly good with a great attitude. However, I'll shop for my overpriced outdoor gear somewhere else in the future.

Original review: May 1, 2021

Disappointed. My name is Daniel, I been a member for more than 8 years. I feel very disappointed with REI, because is the second time this issue happened to me. I bought a Yeti cooler online from rei and when I received the “cooler” in a igloo brand box (in a bad shape) I knew that something was wrong again (2nd time). I opened the box and the cooler looked like a bear was playing with it (super damaged and used). I called costumer service and they told me that they sometimes sell used retuned items. I told her that why they were doing that, because I pay for a premium product (yeti$$$). She only told me that they will give my money back. I told her that they lost a loyal costumer and didn’t care. I don’t it’s legal to sell used products for new at regular price, but not buying there again.

Original review: March 31, 2021

Purchased day pack $47 plus tax. Pack did not fit properly. I failed to read that purchaser is responsible for return cost. Return expense was $15. What a crock? Never again will I purchase from REI Used Gear.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

My husband received a gift card for $50 and had a difficult time scratching off the PIN and when he finally did, the PIN was unreadable. He called the company and they told him they could not help him without a receipt. This was a gift! - (Yes, when we give gift cards we include the receipt, but this individual did not) He had the card # which they should be able to track and see that it had not been used. Very poor customer service!!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

We went to the Brentwood store the first time, after hearing about them. The store was a wreck, items were thrown everywhere and there wasn't any organization. We were over-billed on items because they were placed where they didn't belong. We were told we were getting a $20 gift card to become a member but then it wasn't activated so it was worth nothing.

We had an item to return and the girl assisting us with the return was very rude. We thought we would give the company another try, this time ordering online. We received an update and they were claiming our payment had been rejected. We confirmed multiple times that the funds were sent to them and we received our entire order over the next few days. Now, months later, they are popping back up asking for a new payment method that our institution rejected the payment. Once again, our financial institute confirmed that this is not true. When he logged in to his account, it didn't show that we had spent anything so no advantage to being a member. This is after spending well over $600 at this place! We will never buy from this company again!

REI Company Information