Radio Shack

Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I purchase a Radio Shack charger cable along with a replacement plan. When the time came for me to get a replacement I went to the store. The associate teller told me that my info of me ever purchasing the cable or the plan wasn't in their system and refused to give me one. I returned the next day with the receipt of the purchase transaction I made. He still refuse to give me a new cable because the store manager wasn't in the store. This could only mean that one thing could be happening either the store is stealing from its customers or Radio Shack is pulling a scam.

Sirius radio is a piece of ** radio. I got a radio and left it on like people do with radio and the radio went out after a year. Don't buy radio from this garbage company.

Save yourself the time, hassle, and frustration of learning "the hard way," as I did. What a disreputable, dishonest, and downright dirty operation RADIO SHACK is running and avoid this "business" like the plague. It should be no wonder why so many stores have ceased operation, and why the entire operation appears headed for bankruptcy or complete failure. In my personal experience, I was traveling and needed a pay-as-you-go cell phone for a month. Without reading reviews like this (which I should have done), I hastily purchased a phone through RADIO SHACK.

To start, the salesman is trained to "upsale" certain models and plans to maximize their profit. Think car salesman tactics here. Then, once you've picked out your phone and service plan, no information is provided that explains warranties (or lack thereof) in case of problems. Clearly, these lies-of-omission are intentional. When I experienced a faulty "sim card" after 2 days of usage, the employees (of which there were only two) had no solutions (no replacements in stock), took an inordinate amount of time to address my concerns (1 1/2 hours), and appeared poorly trained, disorganized, and unprofessional.

When I asked for a refund, the employee then stated that this was "no problem," and proceeded to give me a "gift card" from RADIO SHACK with half of what I paid instead of cash. I had to explicitly state that I wanted the refund in cash without being given that choice in the first instance. Then, I only received half of what I originally paid, and the employee then explained that only the phone would be reimbursed (not the contract for the minutes, which was approximately $40.00). It was clear that the employee knew full well that this was the case when he sold me the product, and had intentionally failed to inform me prior to my purchase. It was also clear that this was the way that RADIO SHACK has chosen to do "business," and that the employee had been through the same situation multiple times with other customers in similar situations.

RADIO SHACK appears to be headed for extinction, and that's a good thing. There are several articles online referring to RADIO SHACK'S poor management and obtuse business practices, including an article from "Gazette Review" from March 2016 entitled "What Happened To Radio Shack - New Updates Released," which states: "In addition to coming off as insensitive and cold, Radio Shack experienced numerous customer relation issues. After having a large number of unanswered and unresolved complaints, RadioShack and the Better Business Bureau met to implement a plan to decrease the number of complaints their stores were receiving." It is evident that my experience is no anomaly, and that you could expect to experience the same unresolved and ongoing problems that I did. Please learn from my mistake and stay far away from this dying dinosaur, which deserves to go extinct. BUYER BEWARE!!!

I went to purchase a phone from the front and Olney location, Radio Shack. There was a sprint service station in there. I ask the customer service person her name was Ollivia ** if I can have the phone that marked on sale. The Boost Kyocera Hydro reach - labeled for $19.99. Ollivia then ask for my cell number and pen. Before checking activated the new phone for me while dealing with other customers leaving my personal information compromised for any and everyone to see.

Later the associate became angry with me that she appeared to make a mistake and said she would have to re activate my original phone because she didn't realize that the price was higher than POSTED ON SALE SIGN. Customers in the store began to film how rude she was to me. My wife asked to speak to a manager and we were told there no manager on site. The worker activated the new phone before checking then threatening us that the old phone wouldn't be reactivated. We would paid the difference but wasn't given the option to...

The sign has been in the store for over a week and when we ask to purchase the phone she clearly seen it was on sale. To my understanding the employee had no knowledge the items sold or the product. I was screamed at and humiliated because the employee made a mistake and we left without a phone. I never been treated that way. Been a customer of Radio Shack and Sprint for more than 20 years and had my same phone number over 14. We always go to radio shack for upgrades until yesterday. Please feel free to have someone call me or email. We have pictures.

When I tried to return some items I had purchased at Radio Shack I was told by the employee at the counter they could not be returned. No explanation given except I had to speak to the manager which was not at the store. The items were in their original package and never opened. When I told the employee to give me a logical explanation he became agitated. I explained nowhere in the receipt said these items were not returnable. He ignored me completely and I decided to leave. Worst customer service experience by any employee of Radio Shack. Never again will I buy at this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Radio Shack?

Would rather rate this with - stars, however I had to give them ... Tonight when I went to Radio Shack to get a battery for my baby monitor, the worker was the rudest employee I have ever encountered and I have encountered him on previous occasions. And every time he is so rude, always telling me no, they don't carry that or there's nothing like that, without even giving it a second thought or even trying to help. It's very quiet in the store and just a very unwelcoming atmosphere all around while he's working.

I waited in the store (RadioShack) for literally 30 mins and decided to do some other shopping in the complex. When I return the Customer service individual said he couldn't process my payment... What? the 30 mins ended up being 1 hr. The person/employee was "supposed to be back" the entire time. I've done customer service in the past and know the difference between ** service and a ** carrier. RadioShack should be shut down due to the incompetence f the workers as well as the service... Northern Lights Columbus, Ohio 43224 (Avoid @ all costs).

Store located at 907 E. Ridge Rd. Rochester, NY, 14621. I noticed the store was half empty so I asked **, mgr. twice if they were closing. He ignored me, and at third time he said "We close at 8". I asked again, he kept saying the same thing, "We close at 8". When I asked his name he said "**, remember that". What a racist behavior. He should not work for you guys. I felt very insulted by his behavior, definitely he dislikes Hispanics, but what he doesn't know I am American like he is.

I spent about 310 on drones for 3 of my children. They don't live right here by me. I bought in November, they got after Christmas. None of them WORK, but told too late to return. OVER 300 DOLLARS, that is terrible. My one daughter took theirs to Radio Shack and they said "hmm don't know why it won't work, but too late to get money back." I sent her receipt. Will not shop there again.

I purchased a charger yesterday 7 March on sale at Radio Shack ($7.99) and I plug it into my computer to charge. All was good. My son used the charger to charge his phone and then put it in his laptop and back into my computer. It worked well to charge his BLU phone in 10 minutes to full power. But after using it he put it in his laptop and then my computer to recharge. I came home to use my computer and it was frozen. Then my son said his laptop didn't work. I go to use my computer and got errors. After trying to reboot it would not. The "blue" Radio Shack charger caused both laptop and desktop computer not to even turn on! Do not use and plug in. Go get your money back. There must be a virus in the charger somehow! I will check back in once I get my other computer fixed. I am sure it can still work. Just have to figure out what kind of virus it is.

The power cord went out within 2 weeks so I returned to radio shack to get another since I got the extended warranty. They ordered it and a week later I went back and it had not came in, but found out the company never sent it because they said they didn't get the email. So they ordered it again and a week later I called to see if it had came in and the guy on the phone said he had no idea what I was talking about and became rude over the phone. So I went to the store with my laptop to show him what I was talking about. When I got there I begin explaining to him about the cord while he acted like I was not even there. I tried telling him I had a warranty and he just continued to say he don't know what I'm talking about and I'll have to wait to talk to whoever sold me the cord because he was not going give me a cord. So I asked could he check to see if it came in and he ignored me.

By that time I'm quite pissed because he wouldn't even check to see if the power cord came in. Finally when the guy who sold me the cord came in did he begin to say the cord was in but by that time I really was in no shape to do any more business with him. So I just asked him if he was a racist or not because I felt

I was discriminated in that place of business.

I purchased the bluetooth receiver two months ago. It worked well for six weeks. Recently, none of our devices were able to pair with the receiver. I took the receiver with the original receipt to RadioShack. They refused to replace it stating that their warranty is only for 30 days. They tried to sell me a warranty repeatedly, but refused to take care of the device. Who would ever want to conduct business with a company that doesn't take care of a customer after 30 days? I certainly will not!

I'm an electronics technician. I buy products to repair circuits. The Radio Shack store in Western Plaza Mayagez has become scarce in many products. The sales personnel is not attentive, when ask about the products they act irritated. Needless to say I will no longer feel like to enter that establishment. Last year me and my son went to get cables, shrink tubing, transformer for charging, but no more. Radio Shack is no longer store for technicians.

Today, Jan 15, 2016, returned headphones purchased by sister via her credit card for xmas gift for myself. Purchased in Florida & she had mailed product to me in Georgia, later mailing receipt of purchase, so I could return what I deemed an inferior product. Had 2 days left prior to 30-day return policy, whatever that nightmare is. They could not credit my sister's card, they would not give me cash, they would not credit me $ exchange on store card (told they no longer offered gift cards). I questioned this & he called his supervisor he claimed. My option was to buy a product or products totaling credit charge. I would not be refunded any $$ less.

Hastily, I purchased items simply to prevent losing all the money my sister had spent. (making purchases with little thought process frustrating & then angered when this Mgr. at a Radio Shack in Marietta, GA, on Cobb Pkwy at the intersection of Barrett Pkwy, informed me that "my transaction was more time than he wanted to spend time on". (Note: rain pouring outside, no other customer in store during the time I was in the store). He retained my original receipt & did not give me any receipt of my purchases. In other words, Forced Purchasing!!!

In this interval he said I could hang on the product & purchase when I would have something in mind. I only had 1 day left for 30 day (refund?). I did not trust this guy with honoring this offer. My experience was offputting & frustrating. Risk losses when shopping at Radio Shack. I was told Sprint now owns Radio Shack. Have made note & will never use Sprint given my nightmare at 1 of their ownerships. Any wonder why some retailers are losing business?

Went to buy 2 Amazon Fire sticks at the radio shack on Garfield ave in Cranston and they are both supposed to be xmas gifts. Good thing I opened the bag and looked when I bought them because one was not in plastic. I opened the box and it wasn't put together the way my previous ones were. Plugged it in and it was used, I still have it! They won't answer the phone at corporate, they won't answer me on Facebook and the store says they don't have any to exchange me for. I don't want an exchange I want an answer to why they are selling used stuff as new at new price.

I plug the thing in and there is another man's name, email, credit card, Amazon prime account on there. I could order a bunch of expensive movies on there if I wanted to. So in trying to contact them I get no help whatsoever. It's been almost 2 weeks. Very fed up with them and will never buy another product from there again. Not sure what to do at this point. I even tried contacting the man's email that was on there to let him know but no reply. I'd be furious if it were my stuff on there and I am furious they are charging full price for used items. Any ideas anybody?

This was a major rip off store! They charged me for items I ordered there but when I go to pick them up, they had not ordered anything and still wanted to charge me more money. All of this was for a wall charger for a cellphone. The bill came to 161 dollars. Wow. What a bunch of jack legs these guys are. Of course I ordered it online for 11 dollars. Their receipts do not show itemized list so the argument was on. It resulted in a 4 week wait and then another week to order from somewhere else. I did notice a lot of things in the store priced way high for what it was. And their little smart a** tech cannot even charge a battery. Look out for this mess when you go there, or better yet go to a reputable place to start with. Myself, I will never darken their doorway again.

I purchased a phone at 7:35 p.m. The store never opened the box. I was under the impression that the phone was in mint condition. Got home and opened it. I charged it etc. Noticed it had a fine hairline crack in screen, so it had to have been purchased this way. I tried taking the phone back and explained to them that it was sold to me this way and the cashier immediately called the store manager and he said they could do nothing.

I went in to activate a recently purchased phone and to have data transferred from my old phone. The women there said the man at the desk had to do this. He was busy with another customer, so we waited. 30 mins later he ask us what we needed today. I told him to activate new phone and transfer data from old phone. He informed us that the women who said he had to do this was capable of doing it herself. That angered me since I had already waited 30 plus mins for him but I didn't complain.

Apparently the woman didn't want to be bothered with a customer! She hee-hawed around trying to figure out what to do. Finally 30 mins later she figured out how to maybe activate it. Then she tells me it will be 2 hours before my phone number from old phone will transfer to new phone. I asked her then if she could go ahead and transfer my data i.e. contacts and pictures even though the number would take awhile. She said "i guess"! Then she proceeded to wait on other customers and completely ignored me waiting there for another 30 mins. Never even attempted to do anything more with my request. I finally got so angry I just left the store. I will NEVER shop at this store again. The store number is 6822.

I bought a tablet from them. Less than a month later it was over heating and the whole thing shut off and would not work again. Radio Shack would not replace it or do anything about it. They were rude about it as well. Couldn't believe it. It was a present so I had to buy a different one somewhere else and I was out the money and left with junk!! It was 89 bucks!! I will NEVER buy from them again. Bad customer service!!!

I've had to replace all the phones in my house over the past year and that's been OK. Until now. This week I bought another one - from Radio Shack. The one I preferred only comes in a dual pack, so I bought a single. In the past, all I had to do was plug in the phone and it was ready. This one required a lot of work, entering numbers, etc. I could not figure it out - paid my computer guy to try and he couldn't either.

When I bought it (from the RS store in Middletown, RI) the young woman "helping" me was rude, uncaring and almost monosyllabic, and very careless in her approach. I took it back today, and the young man "helping" me at least had an attitude of trying to pretend to be of assistance, and then the young woman popped up, interrupting my transaction with the young man. I couldn't help saying "No wonder Radio Shack is tanking". It seemed easier to leave the phone there, did not get a refund: perhaps they can sell it again and pull themselves out of bankruptcy or even invest in some kind of training for those who must interact with the public. I ordered a phone on line.

My iPhone didn't work, so I went to Radio Shack in big island, Hawaii, Prince Kuhio Plaza: 111 E Puainako st, #625, Hilo, HI 96729, service center 013863. Service invoice # **, serial #**, warranty 7 - fix it. I asked them my iPhone doesn't work, can you check if you can possible to fix it, and how long will it last, because I don't want to spend too much money if the iPhone is unable to fix. If I can still use for another year I am willing to spend that much money to repair. I asked if it has warranty, he said yes. I don't remember who is that person, but on my receipt shows his initial **. He took a lot of time to check my phone, and said it should be ok.

My phone was unable to start the phone, unable to charge the battery. And he think it is the charge port doesn't work, so he changed the new Dock for $39.99. After he fixed the phone still don't work, he then said the battery doesn't work, which will charge me another $39.99, but he could give me 50% discount to my 2nd purchase on iPhone product. I asked him again, only if the phone can be fix and able to use for another year, he said "no problem." It took too many hours, he said it is ready, I just need to go home and charge the phone.

I went home, it take a while to charge, however it will only last about 20 mins. I tried for a week, then I went back to see him, he didn't say anything, and was unable to help me!!! My phone die in one month again! Totally die, not even able to charge battery. I just spent $62.48, with couple trips to radio shack, nothing happened. They said it has warranty but it doesn't. When they don't help you, they don't help you! What a bad experience at radio shack!!!

I bought a JBL Pulse Speaker. The seller said to try it for 30 days and if dissatisfied to return it within 30 days. I return the speaker the same day (09/26/2015) because it was all scratched and looked used. They asked me to leave the item so they can look for a similar speaker in their back office and replace it. They said they were going to call me, but they never did. I went back to the store and they said that they did not have the same speaker in the back and that they had call other stores without availability. I said to them that it was thoughtless they never call me. They said Item was no longer in stock. SO I asked for my money back and they said they could not do that, they said I have to speak to the manager.

It is logical for them to return my money back because they have the speaker in their possession which I return back the same day. I went back to the store and they said I had to speak to the manager Friday to get my money back. I called the store before I went to the store and the seller (Chris) said that the manager (Jerry) had to leave to be back the next day (Saturday). This store is nightmare.

I went into the Deland, Fl location, I believe it was on October 6 2015. I asked the sales lady if she had a iPhone 8 pin to 30 pin adapter for my car. She said "yes it's $30." I said "why is it so much." She replied it's a Apple branded part. I in turn say "it use to be $14.99 at the other store." (Orange city Fl). I know I've purchased this several times. She then said "that's why they're closed." In this process she cut me off from talking several times as if to say "you want it or not." So I say to her "no thanks, I'll get it elsewhere." So I was interested in other things but at that point it was clear she was not going to help me. Just to see I walked around for several minutes to see if she would help me find what I was looking for. Nothing. So I left.

I would have paid the premium of $30 to have it knowing I can get it online with shipping for less than $10. But the attitude was not appreciated. I chalked the situation up to her age as I've been shopping Radio Shack before she was born. Or maybe her job is not as important to her, as my support for Radio Shack is. Also I really didn't have to go there. I drove past Wal-Mart, Target and many other electronic store just to go there. This the sales person must realize. I will shop Radio Shack again, just not this location. Good luck Deland Fl Radio Shack.

On October 2 I went to Radio Shack to upgrade to the iPhone 6S and returned my iPhone 6 to Sprint which was in Radio Shack. The representative of Sprint was supposed to send my phone to Sprint, erase all content. On October 4 I received a video message from a unknown email that had my video, very personal that could get off my old phone. So go up to the store and ask to see the phone. When I turn it back on I saw where my photo lock app was erased. So the Sprint guy got into my old phone, got my info out of it and sent it to me. So I email the channel 4 news and told them and they want to do a interview with me Wednesday. I'm getting lawyer and suing both stores. This was embarrassing and just wrong.

On Monday September 21st I went to your store located on: 12354 Poway Road, Poway, CA 92064. I was looking for a MHL extension cable. 1st the salesman didn't know what I was talking about. After I explained him that I had bought a MHL micro USB HDMI cable for my Samsung I just needed an extension since that cable, it's only 6ft & I wanted a little longer, finally he understood & found me a cable. I specifically ask him if that will work w/ my Samsung since they are an 11 pin micro & he assure me it would & that was an universal cable so I went ahead & bought it. As soon as I went home I tried the cable & unfortunately it didn't work. The male part from the cable that I have bought didn't fit the female part from extension cable so I had to go back to returned the item.

The funny thing was the day I purchase the item the salesman ** was the manager or the Boss Man like his business cards said which I didn't know who he was till the day I went to returned the item. Anyways the point is that when I purchased the item Mr ** was very nice, friendly & he even show a little smile on his face... When I went back Friday, September 25th (4 days after) the Boss Man got bother that I was returning the item & was a little rude & asked the salesman ** that was there to go ahead & cancelled the transaction & issue me a refund & slam the receipt on the counter & walked away to the back. He was the opposite from Monday.

I don't know why this company has a bad, bad customer service. It seems like this is a requirement for this company to get hire coz the employees are all very rude & lazy, don't like to work. Long long time ago I had an issue w/ this company & I had to told myself that I was never going to buy anything again. After many many years has passed by I was a little skeptical to go inside the store on Monday to look for the cable but then I said perhaps things have change & I should give them another chance but now I see that the services have not improved nor the employees. No wonder this company file for bankruptcy & finally will no longer exist...!!!

Hello, I was in the store, Radio Shack on Boston St. Lynn, Mass. The female employee/Spanish, could not get her name, was very angry. Very unpleasant employee, did not knew my problem, what I was looking for, could not answer my simple question. I'm so very unhappy! No wonder the store is going out of business, so happy!

This is about Alex, who went the distance to help my 84 yr-old low-vision mother and myself on 8/20/15. Her RS brand talking watch battery had died & thinking RS was no longer in business, I tried several jewelers to no avail. A google search gave me the wonderful news that RS is alive & well in a store near me. Whee! but... Well that glee was short lived.

As soon as I entered the store I was informed by several employees that due to liability issues, they were no longer permitted to replace batteries - even in their OWN brand! Imagine my shock & dismay! Seems like there have been some problems removing backs of watches, so employees can only sell the battery, not replace. Unfortunately, the battery size was not printed on the outside, so foiled again!

Feeling like I had nothing to lose, I offered to remove the back myself. Alex stepped up with a box of micro screwdrivers and I went to work. Got the watch opened & new battery installed but I was completely helpless to get it back together - I'm 65 and have neither great vision nor finger dexterity. At that point, Alex asked his manager for permission to START HIS BREAK AND THEN SET TO WORK replacing the back of the watch. AMAZING!!! He really saved the day for us!

That watch is my mother's only way to know what time it is. Oh sure, there are probably other talking watches out there, but this is the one she knows how to use. And when you're blind and 84, it's hard to learn something new. Thank you Alex! To quote you "Good teamwork makes the dream work!" (gee, I hope I got that right) I'll never forget your kindness. In my opinion, this kind of service has been what's set Radio Shack apart from all the other electronic stores and has for years and years. RS has parts, items, and service which are found nowhere else! May they live forever... :)

Our family bought 2 cell phones from Radio Shack, on July 14, 2014 with a warranty plan, phone 1 purchased 149.99 plus insurance 59.99 with 25.00 deductible. Second phone purchased 99.99 with 25.00 insurance protection added on plan. We went to go to store 2794 in West Nyack, NY and they look up the phone, with the receipt showing the insurance purchased and it states in the computer the policy was CANCELLED. The company was taken over 3/1/2015, and all the phone insurance policies were cancelled.

They state that when we returned the first phone it was defective, that the 25.00 deductible was used??? When my receipt shows different (it was a swap for a swap) no deductible nothing. Next we were told to buy the Aquos Phone and purchase an additional 25.00 protection plan to add on the current cover rate of (59.99) to cover it. We paid for that. We went today 7-19 to bring phone back, the volume is not working correctly and they would not honor the swap of phone (they are saying the policy does not exist it is cancel and they can do nothing). Radio Shack Insurance Protection kept on apologizing for the inconvenience or problem but would not resolve this error on their part.

Well, this does not seem fair, the previous Store Manager, told us (the consumer) to purchase the insurance policy for 59.99 and we did it is a 2 year policy. Whatever the way they do business, it seems to me they took insurance money for phones that you can never use when the phone is not working, it is leaving us to buy a new phone. Next the second phone we purchase, it miraculous had the insurance cancelled when we did not do that either. The phone was 99.99 insurance was 29.99 and the same thing happened when we traded the defective phone, the new phone Moto G was a swap (even price) but charged 29.99 had a 10.00 coupon and the phone was 89.99 but had insurance for 29.99. Same issue, The policy does not exist.

I asked to see the old policy forms to see why and how this was cancelled and they do not have any, it has been replaced with new policy and terms and conditions. So again, no confirmation of changes, but to only say, TOUGH LUCK, your are out the money you invested in the extra insurance policy and it was cancelled according to our computers. WELL THEY ARE WRONG.

This was the worst SERVICE ever, and the STORE MANAGER did nothing to solve a dissatisfied customer when it was not our fault, and we showed the receipts that showed we paid for it. The insurance he transferred me to, did nothing also!! Customer service POOR. His explanation was: 59.99 insurance plus 25.00 deductible - his explanation was that 25.00 for the second phone paid for the replacement for the first phone. This makes no sense, since we purchased a 60.00 plan. He is telling me we paid 80.00 for insurance that is cancelled. So we walked out of the store with a broken phone, and -184.00 broke.

The bottom line is that the verbage between store managers and clients is not correct. Now that the company is taken over by another company the store manager does not know who their boss is and will not give no information to resolve the issue. I asked for corporate office, and the Store Manager did not know who it was. They basically a bait and swtich, and will not honor the insurance but cancelled all policies when the new company took over. This is a disgrace, they are such THEIVES!

Would you guys care to do a follow up on what is going on with Radioshack? If their handling of the bankruptcy is any indication of why the business was in trouble (and it is...), no wonder people weren't shopping there. To say things have been confusing is putting it mildly. Initially we got "bankruptcy" and "stores are closing" - but no going out of business sales. If you talk to store personnel they insist the stores are not closing. (So far none of them have closed around here.)

The website has been promising a new RadioShack.com. It's been "coming soon" since Memorial Day. ~> http://comingsoon.radioshack.com/homepage. Still not here yet. And we keep getting emails like this one, with in-store promotions. ** Do note at the bottom the big box that says, "We're Hiring" too. Huh? The corporate explanation about all this sure doesn't help either: http://radioshackcorporation.com/restructuring/ Actually, it appears that site has been taken down now. Huh?

Was this the bankruptcy that never happened?

My son received a gift card for Christmas from Radio Shack with $50 on it. Due to the bankruptcy it is no longer valid. In my communication with the firm it stated that the court made them do this. While we can file a claim, the reality is that Radio Shack will be instructed to reimburse pennies on the dollar minus legal and accounting fees. Hence it will be a complete or nearly complete loss. Radio Shack may claim it has "no choice," but, as consumers, I will never shop at Radio Shack again and neither will my son -- long may he live. A soul-less firm like this is just waiting for the collective memory of consumers to fade so it can reemerge. Some firms deserve to dissolve into the sunset and Radio Shack, with its diminished product quality and lack of customer care, is one of them...

Radio Shack Company Profile