Price Chopper

New York

Compare Supermarkets

Research top Supermarkets recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Connecticut has a Consumer Protection Law. If an item rings up higher than the tag price you get that item for free. As I go thru the store I check the tags, if it's an expired price I take the item and the tag. Been doing this for a couple years. Employees used knew me and would greet me and joke around. Yesterday me and mom went in, I said "hello" to Albert ** who didn't respond but turned and found Kayce, front end manager. She came over and told me to no longer pull the tags, they would go back and get them when I check out. I said that would take a long time and hold up other customers. She shrugged her shoulders, "oh well". As we started shopping Shelby ** started following us. She then went ahead into the next aisle and loud enough told another employee "look at the tags" and other words I couldn't understand. Every time we ran into employees they would give us nasty looks.

I heard Kayce in one aisle tell employees that we were there and to stop what they were doing and to check the tags. As a girl was saying "ok" she came into the aisle where we were, she walked a little past me then quickly turned around, looked in my cart, then went back to the aisle where Kayce was. When we went to check out I had 6 items with wrong prices, I didn't take the tags. I asked for Albert ** who saw me and called over Shelby **. She came and looked. I had turned to talk to a customer who asked me what was going on. As I explained the law I heard my mother loudly say "do your job". I said "mom, what". She said that Shelby said she wasn't going to get the tags because she didn't have time. Albert ** was talking to the women behind the customer service desk. I said "do I have to go get the tags?" He said "Shelby's going."

I apologized to the customer behind me but he said it's their fault not mine. He told me the problems he's had with the very rude employees. Then the women at customer service yelled to the cashier- "take him, put her things aside". I stepped aside and he went thru and wished me luck. I stood in line and other customers came up, I said I was next, she said nothing and started ringing out their items. I was angry. My mother had taken the items we purchased and sat on a bench waiting.

It took 20 mins for Shelby to come back. 5 were in the same display and 1 a few rows away. She stood behind the cashier and started to fill out forms for each item. I refused to move for the cashier to ring out other customers. She told me to move aside and I said "NO. I'm a customer and all of you are being extremely rude." Albert ** told Shelby ** to take the items to an empty register. I stood there as it took 5 mins for her to fill out 6 small forms, asking upc # and item. They each did this hoping I would just leave. I won't be bullied, I know the law. Next time I go in I will ask for the manager, if they don't stop following me I will file a harassment case against Price Chopper.

So I buy my groceries but every time I go to get gas my gas discount had expired. Others tell me they get up to $2 or more and I can't get past 20 cents. When I complained I was only told I have to use it sooner - it's 30 miles for me to travel (60 round trip) so I'm not traveling that far to save 20 cents on 10 gallons. I'd rather save somewhere else without the aggravation,

Cooked one package last night and in the last patty worms started coming out. My kid had already started eating 1/2 of one when I made her stop. Took them back today and the customer service did not seem to know what I wanted and gave rebate of purchase price and called meat dept to come get the packages.

I used to go to the Price Chopper at 1706 Western Ave. As of today, I no longer do and I was a customer there for 12 years. If you are looking for a pharmacy, their staff is excellent. That was my main reason for going there. I also would shop there while waiting for my prescriptions. The store constantly miss prices items in their favor so you have to watch them closely and remember prices.

The worst experience of all is the deli. As crowded as it gets today, over a half dozen customers working, there was one kid stuck there trying to keep up with the crowd. They do this all the time. No one wants to be out front slicing coldcuts so they stay in the back with their eyes closed. Many people go there because it is a smaller store and easier to get around. It's one of their gold mines. It gets very busy. Today I just had it. Everyone was grumbling, waiting to be served, but no one had the balls to say anything except me. I left my stuff there; went and got my prescriptions back and left never to return again. It was better than screaming my head off in frustration and built up anger over the constant lousy treatment.

Yes, they rectify the situation when there is a mistake but do you want to go home and then have to go back? It is a waste of time and gas. If they did things right in the first place, the returns wouldn't be necessary but they'd prefer to make their money screwing people. Avoid this place unless you just want to deal with the pharmacy.

I sent my family to Price Chopper on Cambridge Street in Worcester for fish and chips. However when they went to the seafood dept the sales person said the dept was closed. It was 7:45pm and the sales person told them they are open until 8:00 pm. When asked why she couldn't get it if they were open until 8. He replied well he turned everything off early so that he can clean it. If your sign said open until 8 well then people should be able to order at 7:45. This is a poor way to treat customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Price Chopper?

I have on numerous occasions requested that the sackers use all the sacks I provide. I let them know that I purposely place all my cans/bottles/milk cartons on the conveyor belt first and request that they spread the heavy items between the sacks as I have a bad back and am over 60 yrs. old. I provide HyVee sacks (double sack the sacks) so I can manage the heavy sacks. Many times they break the handles when they try to pick them up to put in the cart due to overloading them. One instance I even voiced to the young male sacker that the sack was terribly heavy - - his response was 'no problem, I can handle it'. I replied that I was not young and strong like him and I don't want all the cans in one sack. This week a young lady sacked my groceries. One sack was especially heavy when I put it in the car. Upon unloading @ home I found my eggs in the bottom of the heaviest sack which should be the first rule in sacking training I would think?

I have called the store manager previously but receive no change after voicing my displeasure. One young lady sacker a few years ago was great but she no longer works there. I called and complimented her to the manager and asked that she be allowed to train other sackers! Seems they sack worse when I request that they put a few heavy items in the sack and fill the remainder w/ chips or other light items so I just gave up the fight. Once in a while I am fortunate that the cashier will observe the sacker and mention that they too would like grocery sacks being a reasonable weight to handle.

Trying to buy flowers at Price Chopper in Bristol, CT. Because of broken liquid soap on the floor, I fall and couldn't breathe from pain. None of the "associates" tried to help me get up. Thanks to some customers after 15 min, I pulled myself together and filled out a report as the procedure goes. They send it to the headquarters and told me to wait. I received a letter from them that wanted more details and the hospital report, that I had to go because my whole spine moved from me falling on my bottom, and I stayed two weeks on painkillers. Long story short, after six months of waiting and the hospital wanted me to pay the bill, I called Price Chopper and they had the guts to tell me that the floor wasn't dirty, no one witnessed the fall although the store's shift manager was there and the store is not reliable for what happened. They don't want to release the report and told me that do whatever you want, we don't care. No security cameras can be released and no report, store policy.... I have never felt more insulted and abused from such people (Chris **). I am not trying to sue and make money, I just wanted them to pay the hospital bill because I have no insurance and I am stuck with 1500 $ to pay... Shame on Price Chopper and the who represent them...! Shame, shame, shame.

While shopping on a Friday after work, I was asked to swipe my debit card more than once because the cash register was not working. I finally just wrote a check for my groceries. Imagine my surprise when 2 days later, I looked at my bank statement and discovered that I was charged for my groceries more than once. When I called the 800 number for finance, I was told that it was my bank's problem as PC only showed that my check was cashed, yet my bank shows where it was charged a debit transaction and the check was also deducted. After 2 1/2 hours on the phone, I get nothing but the run around and my check book is down double for last week's purchases.

I usually shop at Price Chopper for groceries. For a couple of reasons, I was at Price Chopper this past weekend. When you walk in the door (next to the floral department) they have that big wall of sale items. This day, they cereal - 4 boxes for $5. Great deal, right? There were 6 different kinds there to choose from, so I picked out 4 boxes and continued on.

My daughter decided to get some as well, so she went to the wall. She, being sharper than I, read the fine print on the sale sign. Out of the 6 different kinds of cereal displayed, only 4 of them were on sale. I thought this can't be true. Why would they display the kind that wasn't on sale with the sale brands. So, I went to the customer service desk to verify that my daughter was being illogical. The girl behind the counter wasn't sure so she paged someone.

As we were waiting for a return call, the store manager walked by so she asked him. To my surprise, he said that, in fact, only 4 of the brands were on sale. I asked why he would display the others with the sale items if they weren't on sale. His exact reply was "Because that's the way our marketing department told us to do." Hm. Really? It sounds like deceptive advertising to me. Blatant deception! This is not the first time this has happened at Price Chopper. I have noticed it many times in the past but I always gave them the benefit of the doubt.

I grabbed the wrong item. They were stocked incorrectly; things like that. But, this day, I was flat out told that they purposely display the items in a way that, in my opinion, is deceitful. They are expecting shoppers to do exactly what I did, assume that an item is on sale because it is mixed in with the sale items. Most of the time, I never even look at my receipt. I assume, again, that they are being honest. That was my mistake, but it's one mistake that I will not repeat. Not only will I never shop at Price Chopper again, but I am also reporting this along with the photos I took to the Attorney General, the Better Business Bureau, Consumer Affairs, and any other organization I can find that might be able to put an end to this deceptive practice.

Price Chopper Company Profile