2.52/5
Based on 27 reviews that contain star ratings

New York

28 Price Chopper Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 10, 2018

Okay, Price Chopper Delivery Review... DON’T BOTHER. We decided to try it out, I only shop PC for the sales & being unable to get out of the house Kev has just been doing Hannaford to go. So we miss a lot of good sales but PC is too freaking crazy. So I read up on it. Delivery fee is $5.99 if you want it delivered two or more hours out. Plus there is a code for your first order, if it’s over $25 you get $10 off and free delivery. So awesome, I figure that I will try them out.

They aren’t like Hannaford, you shop through a platform called Instacart. The things I liked are that you could live chat with your shopper through the site, so if they needed to substitute something they would send you a message which would alert you with a text to your cell, then you could get on the site to talk to the shopper. So when the BOGO mushrooms I wanted were sold out and he was going to substitute with the same amount of others at double the cost, I said no and he quickly found other BOGO mushrooms... if they don’t hear back from you then they call you.

When I was on the site I couldn’t find many of the BOGO deals that were being advertised in the flyer, I figured that perhaps the system wasn’t updated. So I decided just to try putting one thing in that I knew was BOGO but wasn’t on the site as BOGO. I put a note under it to my shopper that it was BOGO in the flyer but perhaps I was picking the wrong one & if that were the case to please put two of the BOGO Tide in my order. I got a message from him saying that he’d found the Tide so I was confused when I was charged full price for both, I was also charged a delivery fee despite the code.

I wrote to them. They refunded the delivery fee but this is what they had to say about sales. “Please note that while we may honor in-store promotions or sales depending on the market and retailer, if the promotion or sale is not reflected on the Instacart platform, we cannot honor it. We do offer our own deals for most retailers which can be found by visiting Coupons section of the website!” (That was from the Instacart Platform). Um okay, so, my personal shopper can pick up two bottles of Tide from the shelf that says Buy One Get One Free and if he paid for them at the store he would pay for one but because I use their service I get to pay for two PLUS a delivery fee (if it weren’t my first order or I hadn’t complained & gotten my refund). Plus there were many other great sales this week that I could not take advantage of.

I wanted to use this service because since I am mainly bed bound it would help me to contribute to my family’s financial well being, I used to coupon, shop sales & stretch our money all of the time. My husband has his hands full already, as stupid as it sounds, something this small was big to me because when all you are is sick it’s hard to feel like you can do much for your family. This was a total disappointment and a huge headache.

Original review: March 18, 2018

We are all paying for Price Chopper's poor business decisions. They expanded too quickly and now they are charging high prices and decreasing the quality of their products. Just say no... go to ShopRite, Hannaford, etc.

Get expert buying tips about Grocery Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

While I was checking out this evening, I happened to have a plastic bag of sweet potatoes that had no item number on them. I placed them on the scanner and tapped produce and that it had no number. I signaled to the staff member at the self-checkout register for assistance. She told me I was all set, however the computer said that I needed to re-scan the item. This happened over and over. While I was struggling an impatient customer behind me, started handling my bag of potatoes to look for the item number. I told him that there was no number and that I was waiting for assistance. He went to another self-checkout register. I continued to wait while the staff member went on to other customers to assist them, leaving me to wait. The next thing I saw was the same man, who had handled my bag, was with the staff member, having his coupons checked out.

I went up to her and asked why she was helping him, leaving me to wait for her assistance. She responded that she was busy and I responded that I had been waiting for her and this man had no right to step in front of me and of her to take him before me. She ignored me at which I time I started to walk out leaving my groceries behind. She looked up as I walked by and said, "Don't you want your items?", I said yes, however I was tired of waiting for her to help others while I waited. She finally came over and with three tries finally got the potatoes checked out. I wish that I had noted her name, but I was so frustrated with her lack of assistance, that I didn’t. Oh and by the way, what store runs out of celery three days before Thanksgiving??? ShopRite staff are so much more attentive and readily able and willing to help. That is where I will be doing my shopping in the future.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Price Chopper sale prices are very good on many items. I often have coupons that I can combine with the sale price to save even more money on my grocery bill. They also send coupons in the mail based on my purchases. This usually includes coupons for produce which is the bulk of my shopping.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Super quality meats along w/ Great fruits & veggies and take out selections both hot and cold are available at Price Chopper. They also have a full service fresh sushi bar.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Price Chopper?

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

We have often found expired items on the shelves and they are often out of items we want. We have also had to bring back meat items on two occasions in the past two years. While they are responsive to complaints there seems to be a problem with the management of this particular store.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

Price Chopper's 2 for 1 deals are good. There is a weekly paper with coupons and prices. Also a scanning device that prints more coupons. They have a good bakery and deli also.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Price Chopper usually has the items I am looking for and from what I see, the prices are at least average for this area. Their weekly specials tend to be good deals and they also offer additional coupons to really make a savings difference. Their advantage card gets you money off of certain specials and Sunoco gas and they often have bonus purchases that get you even more fuel savings. They use the advantage card to track your purchases and send booklets of coupons to you through the mail each month which is nice. On the negative side, I've bought bread products that were moldy there, and there have been instances where advertised specials were not available in my store. Probably most of the seafood is farm raised and from China or other Asian countries which sort of worries me. Overall they're good enough to keep me as a steady customer for more than 20 years.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

Price Chopper provides an adequate shopping experience and most things are able to be found that I'm looking for. However, you may have a hard time with international specialty ingredients.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Price Chopper is well stocked and has pleasant and helpful people working there. They are wanting to assist in any way they can. Also, the variety of food items can't be beaten.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

First there are almost never enough registers open! I think the most I've seen open at a time was 5. When there is an advertised product, and you run out. Why can't you have rain checks at the registers? Instead we have to stand in-line at customer service with a cart full of food. And you can't bring your cart inside the rope, so you have to leave it on the other side in the way of people trying to get by... Really annoying!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I mostly shop here at Price Chopper because it's a convenient location for us. This store really likes to push the store brand. Product selection is not great, but the produce is usually good -- not almost ready for the compost as I've found elsewhere.

Original review: May 18, 2017

I bought a wedding cake from the Queen's owned Price Chopper in Overland Park at 151st street and Kara made my wedding cake. I paid almost $1000 for it so it was not a cheap cake. They were supposed to be good and affordable for wedding cakes. I was excited to see my cake and when I walked into my wedding reception all I could see was how crooked and lopsided my cake was. I was so embarrassed. My photographer couldn't even get a straight picture of my cake.

I emailed and called the Price Chopper to let them know and the store manager put me off several times and did not deal with the issue and then I emailed the owner and he said he would take care of it and never did. He was very rude to me and said his daughter got married and had a cake from there and it was fine. I am sure if his daughter's cake had any little issue he would have been unhappy. He even saw all of my pictures I sent of my crooked cake and he did nothing for me.

Queen's Price Choppers had horrible customer service and attitudes and it is a shame because I shopped there all the time and my only mistake was trusting them with one of the most important days of my life to come through for me. They were very disappointing not only with my crooked cake but with their horrible customer service. They did not care at all!! I finally emailed the owner back and told him to forget my complaint because I really did not have time to deal with poor customer service and people making me feel like my complaint was not valid! Shame on Price Chopper!

Original review: May 10, 2017

When they know you, they know exactly where your prescription is located. They accept our prescription plan and they call to let you know if the prescription is not available. They are very knowledgeable and friendly.

Original review: April 25, 2017

There are a few pharmacists that are very pleasant and personable. I am disappointed that the store stopped allowing customers to be able to store money towards gas or rewards.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

Price Chopper has high-quality poultry, fish & meats which is why I shop there. You will pay more but it's usually worth it. However, their produce section isn't great and you will pay higher prices on items in the grocery isles unless they are having a decent sale. Their deli is excellent. Their selection isn't as large as Shoprite, but what they do carry is very good especially their cole slaw, macaroni & potato salads, also Dietz & Watson meats and cheeses. Their employees are pleasant and helpful.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2016

Typically produce is quite poor. The selection is good but the help is typically surly and unfriendly. Until Walmart moved into town, they were the only real grocery store in town. I suspect they never realized they have competition now. Their prices are quite a bit higher than other stores.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2016

I love Price Chopper's new cafe still department. The ready made food is done perfectly and the choices they offer are amazing. My husband and I love picking our dinner from all they offer. They also have new things in the store every week to try. The produce department have everything you could want and everything is so fresh. In the meat department you can have the butcher get whatever you need and they are very helpful when it comes to suggestions. I also love using my card so I get points that go to help me with cheaper gas that helps a lot because we are on a fixed income and every little bit helps.

Resolution response: June 14, 2017

Service has been improved

Original review: Dec. 17, 2016

They never have the product on the shelves, you have to ask for things from the cooler because they are not stocked enough, yet they carry and stock too much of other items more than they should. In there today, checkouts were crazy and only 2 regular ones open so I asked two managers standing there chatting if they could open another checkout. They said when they can and just walked away and ignored me, so after 5 mins I got in one of the 2 express lanes open and then as I was checking out some customer in the other express isle said how it was a shame we couldn't read and should be made to get out of express lanes and the cashier said it was happening all morning.

Well lady, we can read and clearly that's a sign that there were not enough regular checkouts open, and maybe if the store manager was doing his job we people with full carts would have somewhere to check out, but instead he ignored the problem. He should have stepped up opened another checkout and took it like a man. There is no friendly nice customer respect service going on with this establishment, you're better off at Wal-Mart at least their selves will be stocked with the product you need!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2016

Connecticut has a Consumer Protection Law. If an item rings up higher than the tag price you get that item for free. As I go thru the store I check the tags, if it's an expired price I take the item and the tag. Been doing this for a couple years. Employees used knew me and would greet me and joke around. Yesterday me and mom went in, I said "hello" to Albert ** who didn't respond but turned and found Kayce, front end manager. She came over and told me to no longer pull the tags, they would go back and get them when I check out. I said that would take a long time and hold up other customers. She shrugged her shoulders, "oh well". As we started shopping Shelby ** started following us. She then went ahead into the next aisle and loud enough told another employee "look at the tags" and other words I couldn't understand. Every time we ran into employees they would give us nasty looks.

I heard Kayce in one aisle tell employees that we were there and to stop what they were doing and to check the tags. As a girl was saying "ok" she came into the aisle where we were, she walked a little past me then quickly turned around, looked in my cart, then went back to the aisle where Kayce was. When we went to check out I had 6 items with wrong prices, I didn't take the tags. I asked for Albert ** who saw me and called over Shelby **. She came and looked. I had turned to talk to a customer who asked me what was going on. As I explained the law I heard my mother loudly say "do your job". I said "mom, what". She said that Shelby said she wasn't going to get the tags because she didn't have time. Albert ** was talking to the women behind the customer service desk. I said "do I have to go get the tags?" He said "Shelby's going."

I apologized to the customer behind me but he said it's their fault not mine. He told me the problems he's had with the very rude employees. Then the women at customer service yelled to the cashier- "take him, put her things aside". I stepped aside and he went thru and wished me luck. I stood in line and other customers came up, I said I was next, she said nothing and started ringing out their items. I was angry. My mother had taken the items we purchased and sat on a bench waiting.

It took 20 mins for Shelby to come back. 5 were in the same display and 1 a few rows away. She stood behind the cashier and started to fill out forms for each item. I refused to move for the cashier to ring out other customers. She told me to move aside and I said "NO. I'm a customer and all of you are being extremely rude." Albert ** told Shelby ** to take the items to an empty register. I stood there as it took 5 mins for her to fill out 6 small forms, asking upc # and item. They each did this hoping I would just leave. I won't be bullied, I know the law. Next time I go in I will ask for the manager, if they don't stop following me I will file a harassment case against Price Chopper.

Original review: July 12, 2016

So I buy my groceries but every time I go to get gas my gas discount had expired. Others tell me they get up to $2 or more and I can't get past 20 cents. When I complained I was only told I have to use it sooner - it's 30 miles for me to travel (60 round trip) so I'm not traveling that far to save 20 cents on 10 gallons. I'd rather save somewhere else without the aggravation,

Original review: May 13, 2016

Cooked one package last night and in the last patty worms started coming out. My kid had already started eating 1/2 of one when I made her stop. Took them back today and the customer service did not seem to know what I wanted and gave rebate of purchase price and called meat dept to come get the packages.

Original review: July 10, 2015

I used to go to the Price Chopper at 1706 Western Ave. As of today, I no longer do and I was a customer there for 12 years. If you are looking for a pharmacy, their staff is excellent. That was my main reason for going there. I also would shop there while waiting for my prescriptions. The store constantly miss prices items in their favor so you have to watch them closely and remember prices.

The worst experience of all is the deli. As crowded as it gets today, over a half dozen customers working, there was one kid stuck there trying to keep up with the crowd. They do this all the time. No one wants to be out front slicing coldcuts so they stay in the back with their eyes closed. Many people go there because it is a smaller store and easier to get around. It's one of their gold mines. It gets very busy. Today I just had it. Everyone was grumbling, waiting to be served, but no one had the balls to say anything except me. I left my stuff there; went and got my prescriptions back and left never to return again. It was better than screaming my head off in frustration and built up anger over the constant lousy treatment.

Yes, they rectify the situation when there is a mistake but do you want to go home and then have to go back? It is a waste of time and gas. If they did things right in the first place, the returns wouldn't be necessary but they'd prefer to make their money screwing people. Avoid this place unless you just want to deal with the pharmacy.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2015

I sent my family to Price Chopper on Cambridge Street in Worcester for fish and chips. However when they went to the seafood dept the sales person said the dept was closed. It was 7:45pm and the sales person told them they are open until 8:00 pm. When asked why she couldn't get it if they were open until 8. He replied well he turned everything off early so that he can clean it. If your sign said open until 8 well then people should be able to order at 7:45. This is a poor way to treat customers.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2014

I have on numerous occasions requested that the sackers use all the sacks I provide. I let them know that I purposely place all my cans/bottles/milk cartons on the conveyor belt first and request that they spread the heavy items between the sacks as I have a bad back and am over 60 yrs. old. I provide HyVee sacks (double sack the sacks) so I can manage the heavy sacks. Many times they break the handles when they try to pick them up to put in the cart due to overloading them. One instance I even voiced to the young male sacker that the sack was terribly heavy - - his response was 'no problem, I can handle it'. I replied that I was not young and strong like him and I don't want all the cans in one sack. This week a young lady sacked my groceries. One sack was especially heavy when I put it in the car. Upon unloading @ home I found my eggs in the bottom of the heaviest sack which should be the first rule in sacking training I would think?

I have called the store manager previously but receive no change after voicing my displeasure. One young lady sacker a few years ago was great but she no longer works there. I called and complimented her to the manager and asked that she be allowed to train other sackers! Seems they sack worse when I request that they put a few heavy items in the sack and fill the remainder w/ chips or other light items so I just gave up the fight. Once in a while I am fortunate that the cashier will observe the sacker and mention that they too would like grocery sacks being a reasonable weight to handle.

Original review: May 22, 2014

Trying to buy flowers at Price Chopper in Bristol, CT. Because of broken liquid soap on the floor, I fall and couldn't breathe from pain. None of the "associates" tried to help me get up. Thanks to some customers after 15 min, I pulled myself together and filled out a report as the procedure goes. They send it to the headquarters and told me to wait. I received a letter from them that wanted more details and the hospital report, that I had to go because my whole spine moved from me falling on my bottom, and I stayed two weeks on painkillers. Long story short, after six months of waiting and the hospital wanted me to pay the bill, I called Price Chopper and they had the guts to tell me that the floor wasn't dirty, no one witnessed the fall although the store's shift manager was there and the store is not reliable for what happened. They don't want to release the report and told me that do whatever you want, we don't care. No security cameras can be released and no report, store policy.... I have never felt more insulted and abused from such people (Chris **). I am not trying to sue and make money, I just wanted them to pay the hospital bill because I have no insurance and I am stuck with 1500 $ to pay... Shame on Price Chopper and the who represent them...! Shame, shame, shame.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2011

While shopping on a Friday after work, I was asked to swipe my debit card more than once because the cash register was not working. I finally just wrote a check for my groceries. Imagine my surprise when 2 days later, I looked at my bank statement and discovered that I was charged for my groceries more than once. When I called the 800 number for finance, I was told that it was my bank's problem as PC only showed that my check was cashed, yet my bank shows where it was charged a debit transaction and the check was also deducted. After 2 1/2 hours on the phone, I get nothing but the run around and my check book is down double for last week's purchases.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2011

I usually shop at Price Chopper for groceries. For a couple of reasons, I was at Price Chopper this past weekend. When you walk in the door (next to the floral department) they have that big wall of sale items. This day, they cereal - 4 boxes for $5. Great deal, right? There were 6 different kinds there to choose from, so I picked out 4 boxes and continued on.

My daughter decided to get some as well, so she went to the wall. She, being sharper than I, read the fine print on the sale sign. Out of the 6 different kinds of cereal displayed, only 4 of them were on sale. I thought this can't be true. Why would they display the kind that wasn't on sale with the sale brands. So, I went to the customer service desk to verify that my daughter was being illogical. The girl behind the counter wasn't sure so she paged someone.

As we were waiting for a return call, the store manager walked by so she asked him. To my surprise, he said that, in fact, only 4 of the brands were on sale. I asked why he would display the others with the sale items if they weren't on sale. His exact reply was "Because that's the way our marketing department told us to do." Hm. Really? It sounds like deceptive advertising to me. Blatant deception! This is not the first time this has happened at Price Chopper. I have noticed it many times in the past but I always gave them the benefit of the doubt.

I grabbed the wrong item. They were stocked incorrectly; things like that. But, this day, I was flat out told that they purposely display the items in a way that, in my opinion, is deceitful. They are expecting shoppers to do exactly what I did, assume that an item is on sale because it is mixed in with the sale items. Most of the time, I never even look at my receipt. I assume, again, that they are being honest. That was my mistake, but it's one mistake that I will not repeat. Not only will I never shop at Price Chopper again, but I am also reporting this along with the photos I took to the Attorney General, the Better Business Bureau, Consumer Affairs, and any other organization I can find that might be able to put an end to this deceptive practice.

Price Chopper Company Information