OfficeMax

Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I tried to purchase some copier toner using my accumulated REWARDS certificates and tried to pay using a PayPal account. It did not go well. I have been a customer of Office Max for 18+ years but I am done with them. The screenshot I sent to them was the screenshot of the purchase confirmation from Staples, where I found the same items for less than $350.00.

The woman who sold me my computer was very kind. She gave me a step by step explanation of how to purchase it and the deals offered by the store for the computer. She was very polite and patient with me.

On September 6, 2016, I went to OfficeMax to ship a chromebook to Asus for keyboard repair through fedex. I had them wrap the chromebook, figuring they knew best how to package it for transport. When Asus received it, the chromebook was dented and the left side of the screen was smashed. I tried to file a claim with Fedex but was told that because OfficeMax shipped the item, they had to file the claim. After some back and forth I got OfficeMax to file the claim. During this entire process I was the one making the calls and keeping the process moving. The claim was approved by Fedex on the 5th of October and mailed to the OfficeMax corporate office in Boca Raton Florida. Now remember, I live in the Chicagoland area.

In addition, the check was made out to OfficeMax not to me. When I contacted Cameron, the OfficeMax Manager, he told me that the check was in Florida and, MAYBE, I'd be reimbursed in six to eight weeks. Then to add insult to injury he told me that the damage to my chrome book was not their fault. So as it stands. I am out the cost of the chromebook, the cost of the shipping for a total of 275.00 and OfficeMax gets a 100.00 payout from Fedex. How does that work?

MIchigan City Employee Kimberly, the worst. This company is absolutely the worst. Not only do they never have the printer ink I need in stock, it is always sold out, but the employees are rude, untrained and do everything they can to avoid helping you. Kimberly has to be a very special employee though as she takes being rude to customers to a new height. Staples here I come!

Last evening, I went to OfficeMax in Madison, WI in search of a specific Jansport backpack. I had been searching for one on sale and OfficeMax was advertising their Jansport backpacks at 30% off. The store had a price on the backpack of $78.99. From my research, I knew this price seemed high. I searched Jansports website and found that they list the price for the identical backpack of $55.00. I showed this to an assistant manager of the Madison, WI store and I got all kinds of excuses as to why the prices were so different. "Maybe the backpack is a few years old and it was at the higher price when we (OfficeMax) purchased them."

Well, for obvious reasons, that made no sense to me. Why would Officemax be selling a backpack that is 3 years old? I then did the math and found that if you deduct 30% from the $78.99 price, it came out to about $55.00. This is a clear example of a retailer raising the cost of an item, then putting it on sale that takes the price back down to the retail price. That is just not fair to any consumer. Needless to say, I did not purchase the backpack from OfficeMax. As a result, I will never again shop at Office Max/Office Depot.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OfficeMax?

I spent my morning looking for a simple Brother label making machine. Online OfficeMax looked great, until I realized that they had exactly ZERO of the label stock in any size or color actually available in stores within a radius not requiring an airplane ride. That is incredibly stupid. I am downright stunned. I tried to do an online chat, started at number 52 in line and gave up an hour later at 23. The good news is that I had ample time to find everything I needed on Amazon, free delivery tomorrow. My business will forever ban OfficeMax.

I need to vent. I bought a 500gb Samsung Evo SSD from OfficeMax. Was guaranteed 1 day delivery. When it doesn't show up the first day, I let it slide. When it doesn't show up on the second day, I call customer service. I get put on hold for a guy in an Indian call center, who can barely speak English, and he tells me after a few attempts to tell him the issue, that it will come on Tuesday. That's not a 1 day delivery, it's a 6 day delivery. I will not be purchasing anything from OfficeMax after this. It's infuriating.

I visited the store today... Was looking to purchase a book stand... Ask the representative (Ben) for assistance and was told that the item was sold. 10 mins later a customer came in and took the item to the register and purchased it. My take on this is if he did not want to assist me he could have said so or direct me to another sales representative.

I print shipping labels from a USB thumb drive. OfficeMax has raised the price more than once in the last 8 months. The most recent issue is that the USB ports on the 2 copy machines were disabled by OfficeMax staff. I asked why and was given no reason. I was then notified that from now on USB copies will require using the FedEx computer and printing onto a copy machine behind the counter which is not 12 cents a copy self-service but is now full service at 14 cents a page. I do all the work but the staff take the sheet out of the hopper and hand it to me and I pay more? My solution is to buy a new printer and stop going to OfficeMax for anything.

While waiting for my Best Buy delivery I still need to print daily so I went to the FedEx Kinkos which is 6 blocks from OfficeMax and what a joy it was to go there! I simply put my credit card into the machine, choose the file to print and it prints. The best part is that I don't stand in line like at OfficeMax which typically takes 10-15 minutes on a typical day and much longer periodically. FedEx charges 12 cents for black and white copies and they don't discriminate between paper or digital USB source docs. Turns out I will save a lot of money by printing at home with my cheap 29.99 HP printer that comes with 2 ink cartridges which is a $26 value. Crazy right? And I like how professional the FedEx vibe is and I don't have to run the gauntlet of salespeople at OfficeMax which reminds me of going to the car dealership and being swarmed by salespeople.

In both the online and Sunday ad, OfficeMax had a sale on a desk and hutch bundle that I was interested in buying. It said it was "in-stock". So, I went in with intent to purchase and bring home that day. When I got there the associate advised due to the combining of both stores; they no longer carry desks in-stock. However, "I could go online and have this bundle shipped straight to my door step in ONE DAY with free shipping!" I went home and straight to my computer to place the order just to find it was costing me $87 to have it shipped to my home. Ridiculous!!! This was YOUR COMPANY'S decision to no longer sale IN-STOCK even though you advertise as so, and I have to pay for that??? NO. So I called the associates at "MY STORE". They informed me that it actually has to be order by THEM to get the benefits and to complete the transaction I would have to go IN to process it.

Completely frustrated by the enormous set back, I went against my own feelings for 1) I won't have to pay delivery fee's; and 2) GUARANTEED ONE DAY SHIPPING. I went into the store under the impression that it was going to be a quick in and out process since I had an account set up and had both item numbers prepared. The process took 1 full hour and 15 minutes. 45 minutes of me waiting was watching your associate try to figure out how he was going to get around his own company's delivery fee. Why does your employee not know this??! All the while another associate has already stepped outside to take 3 smoke breaks!!! The associate finally figured it out that he had to separate my one transaction into 2! We finally reached the check out. The elderly lady had rang up someone else's transaction that had paid already, however that happened!

So, I had to correct her, then watch 2 other associates and herself try to figure out how to erase the mistake so they could proceed with my NOW two purchases! Seriously though, HOW??? When I was finally able to leave, I immediately felt this was a huge waste of time (I assure you it was. Keep reading.) I waited until the next day, and I did not receive my items. It wasn't until days later that I received what I was guaranteed the next day. When it finally arrived, the top of the desk had a gash in the middle where you would write, a dent in the corner, and all the legs had gashes and chips on them. I immediately called to advise I want a full refund and someone to come get the damaged items, they told me it would be two weeks until that could happen.

They refused my offer to deliver it myself to the store and retrieve my refund, but instead inconvenienced me and have me store their damaged goods for when it's convenient for them to come pick up -THEN return my money. That means I'd have to wait 2 WEEKS TO BE ABLE TO PURCHASE A NEW DESK. They didn't care. So I did exactly what they'd have me do and decided to keep it if they refund me a whopping $40 dollars to help ease the blow of being taking advantage of. My conclusion: Hands down, WORSE shopping experience. EVER. False advertising, false delivery status, damaged product, poor customer service knowledge on products/equipment/ and skills. That was my very last purchase made with OfficeMax and Office Depot. Take care.

I bought an office chair from the Strongsville OfficeMax location. I use my chair to work from home for Progressive Auto Insurance. I had the chair for a month. I tried to return it today but I was told because of the 14-day return policy. I told the girl that it hurts my neck and back. I wanted to buy another chair. She wouldn't let me return it because of the policy. I understand there is a policy but when you have very unsatisfied customer, managers are able to make exceptions. I have rules too at Progressive when processing auto accidents. We make exception sure all the time not to lose a customer. I will never shop at OfficeMax again. The customer service sucks. No wonder the store is dead. I will tell everyone on social media how bad this store sucks.

After multiple negative experiences at Office Max, have finally decided to write this review. Office Max is one of the worst run chains in America. Here's why. The personnel of every Office Max store I have been in exudes a "could care less" attitude. It reminds me of getting in line at the Post Office. I don't buy much there - blank CDs or DVDs, occasionally pencils or pens. The store is poorly organized. The signs don't help much and God forbid you are able to get the attention of anyone working there for help. My repeated experience has been that even if you do, you will likely get a less than satisfactory answer. You'll get something like a point across the store and "I think they're in the third aisle". So the first place you'll waste time is finding the product you want.

The second issue you will find is getting checked out. No matter how slow the day or how few the customers are, it takes an inordinate amount of time to get checked out. I have no idea why this is, but I have noticed that the clerks will go out of their way to avoid waiting on you. Many employees are simply standing around, avoiding customers at any cost. Can't be a mistake - I have had the same experience multiple times in multiple Office Max locations.

Today was the last straw. Tried to buy a pack of pencils. Got in line behind a return. After 5 minutes or so, the clerk advised myself and another customer to try another line. So myself and another customer moved. People got in line behind us. Another clerk took those people to another line where they were waited on. An argument ensued between the customer in front of me and the clerk. Manager came over and a squabble began.

I moved lines again. This time, behind yet another return. I should say multiple returns. This went on another ten minutes. No manager or clerk offered to help. I finally put the pencils down and walked out and as I was leaving one of the disinterested clerks said sarcastically "Have a nice day". I'm all done as a customer of this wretched store and my advice to management is to raise your wages and get some decent employees and train them in how to wait on customers and expedite transactions. My guess is that will never happen.

On 11/28/2015 my daughter and I went to the OfficeMax #6353 at 199 Boston Post Road West, Marlborough, MA in search of a desk and office chair. We arrived not too long after the location was opened that Saturday and was able to find something that really appealed to both of us as it had the size, color and price that we did not want to pass up. Around 11 am, we agreed to purchase and spoke with an associate. The associate told us that they had no more in stock and then looked online only to report that items 101095 & 101075 were not available anywhere.

I asked if I could have a rain check so that I can get the desk and hutch bundle at this price once it was back in stock. I insisted that I should be able to get the item as advertised, especially since the signage was still on display inside the store (which meant to be that the item should still be available). I had gone so far with my insistence that I asked if there were someone else I could speak to about the matter. The associate indicated that there was no one. The associate spoke to the manager on duty through the headset only.

The associate finally offered to have someone contact me in order to find the desk and hutch and had me fill out a form with my contact information. He indicated that the woman would be able to tell me if these items could be ordered but informed me that the sale would be over and that I might not be able to get the desk and hutch bundle at the price that was advertised.

I filled out the form as requested and was informed that we would hear something within 24-48 business hours. My daughter and I left the store feeling quite disappointed. We had lunch at a restaurant in the same shopping center where it occurred to us that we did not search for the same desk in the other two colors and that we might still be successful.

After eating, we went back to OfficeMax where we saw the same associate and asked him to search for the same desk & hutch bundle, but in the other colors (Honey Maple and Cherry). He performed his search on the computer and again indicated that they were not available. He said there was a strong possibility that this item would not restock once the supply had been depleted (which it had appeared to have done). My daughter then asked him if we could purchase the floor model. He indicated that they could not sell this particular floor model. I decided to check the display to see if they had at least taken down the signage since they knew that they were advertising an item they did not have. They had not. I waited for my phone call, but never received one.

On 12/20/2015, my daughter and I returned to the OfficeMax in Marlborough to purchase the chair we decided on during our 11/28/2015 visit. We were able to find the chair without issue. After picking up desk organizers for the desk we purchased from another retailer online, we circled around the area where the desk that we really wanted/preferred was displayed only to find that it was still standing and that it was on sale again. I took a picture of the display to compare to the original display picture to compare item numbers to see if it was truly the same item or something similar. My comparison of the signage confirmed that the display was advertising the same desk a hutch that I had seen on 11/28/2015. Needless to say, I was very angry and felt cheated by OfficeMax. I not only find this experience to be unfair, but don't know why it is not illegal.

I traveled 1 hour round trip when I have an OfficeMax 5 minutes away, because this store was the only OfficeMax in the area with the computer I wanted and I received an email stating my online order was ready for pick up. When I arrived at the store, the order was not there for pick up. The manager offered me the floor model. I asked for a substitution, but he was only willing to give me an inferior model (4G instead of 8G as ordered). I finally agreed to take the floor model at a $50 discount. I specifically told him I did not want a service contract. At the register he charged me for a $79.99 service contract (the cost of the service contract for a $299 item.)

I told him that the service contract for a $249.99 item, the reduced price, was $59.99. I would be willing to pay that, but not the higher priced service contract for a higher priced item. I was willing to walk out of the store spending $10 more than I had planned, but not $30. I told him I was going to call customer service, but it appears he called them first. They hung up three times when I called on my own phone and asked for a supervisor and didn't connect me to one when I asked them to do so from the store phone. The customer agent would not do anything about the situation.

In January 2014 my sister and I bought identical chairs from OfficeMax. The chairs were supposed to provide comfort for 10 or more hours of sitting. Neither mine nor my sister’s chair lived up to that standard. We had serious pain on our behinds after sitting for just 30 minutes. I have since bought a chair at a thrift store which I have no problem with and my sister bought a new chair with memory foam. We are both extremely unhappy with the product OfficeMax provided. When contacted about the issue we were told there was nothing they would do about it. The original cost of the chair was over $200.

Over 8 weeks after mailing in my rebate forms, which their rebate organization acknowledges receiving, they still have not issued the $11.98 rebate check. They say "A check for $11.98 is being processed" and they said the same thing last week. The mail date is still "pending." In the fine print I now see "allow 60-90 days of mailing" and today is only day #56. That stinks.

My husband bought his computer at this store in Crystal River, and I have bought 2 printers there. An Epson and the other day, an HP. I went into the store and asked if I could have the answer to a question I have on the printer and I was told if I wanted any answers, I could buy their service program, or else contact HP. My question was a simple one, but I couldn't solve it. I will never go into that store for any of my supplies or computer needs again. I felt that the man behind the computer counter was rude and indifferent.

It has been 1 month that I purchase a Samsung printer express m2020w while I am in Puerto Rico to be able to work. I had to go and reprogram the CD from this equipment and 1st they did not say nothing about charges and I paid for this service 12 dollars. Now after 2 weeks go again for the same thing and they charge me 14.99 but it gets better. After doing another line and get to the cashier to pay, the same person say to me it's 1.70 more. I tell her why here in Puerto Rico don't give the full information and have people coming back and forth for things incomplete and the clients has to pay for the mistake of staff not well trained. I am an instructor, manager and accounting person that runs a company in Miami for the last 15 years and before did the same in Puerto Rico for 22 years. My opinion is the staff has to be well train to approach with full knowledge not I don't know or give incomplete service.

I walk in the store and was greeted and thought this was going to a good experience. The young lady asked to help me. I told her what I was looking for and she told that they did have it. I tried to see if they had anything that would work as a replacement. The young lady keep walking me away while I still talking. I walked around the store, the shelves was empty. All I was want was something to record a class. I didn't buy anything.

On 8/31 I ordered the Workpro Task chair in BLACK. Because it wouldn't fit in my car, I requested it be delivered to my home. I was told it would be delivered on 9/1. For reasons I will not divulge here, I forgot all about the chair until 9/10 when I realized it was never delivered. I checked online and saw that it was labeled as delivered. I chatted with customer service and was told someone would call me on 9/11. No one called. On the night of 9/11 I called customer service. They could not find a signature nor a delivery company assigned to my order. They refunded 20% of my purchase price for my aggravation and sent out a new one.

On 9/14, the delivery arrived. After the truck left I realized the chair that was delivered was BLUE. I called customer service and was told that the replacement would be delivered to me for an "even exchange" on 9/16. 9/16 came and went. I called on 9/17 and was told that the replacement was picked up from Office Depot on 9/16 but that customer service could not tell me when it would be delivered to me. On 9/18 my husband received a call from the delivery company stating that our replacement would be delivered in the next "2 to 7 business days", but that they would call prior to delivery. On 9/24 still no chair. I called customer service and was told that our replacement delivery was "deleted due to computer error" but the rep refused to tell me when that happened. At this point I requested to speak with a supervisor. After waiting on hold for over 20 minutes I finally agreed to a call back.

Today is 9/27 and I am still waiting. This has been going on for 26 days! I live approximately 1-1/2 hours from the nearest OfficeMax and it could have been walked to my home in this time. At this point, I have requested an additional 40% refund of my purchase price to me for my abused patience, which this company does not deserve any longer. (That would be an additional $80 refunded to me). I will be exchanging this chair with the proper one IN STORE. It is worth it to me to rent a larger vehicle to end this transaction with this company. This has been the worst shopping experience I have ever had with any company. There is no way they can fix this. There is no way I will ever spend my hard earned money at any of their stores again. As I said, their nearest store is 1-1/2 hours from my home, but so is Staples.

Went to OM on 9/10/15, spent $1094.37, this was on a computer & extra memory. They sent the wrong part so went to get refund for the whole thing. When they process my refund I only got $1017.50, apparently $76.86 I won't get refunded until the warehouse gets the part back. I'm thinking they may not even refund me. It was not my fault that they sent the wrong part in the first place. I paid for the part at store, I should get full refund at store. I will never do business here again and should have went to Best Buy. I also plan on filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

On August 28, 2015, I ordered checks for my company. I was told it would take 5 business days. A week went by and I stopped by again to see what had happened. I was told that they had not been delivered yet. On September 10th, I stopped by again to see what happened to them. The lady at the counter checked into it and told me that they were never ordered. "Are you kidding me?" I ask her. I was extremely upset so I ordered them again. When I got back and had time to look at my receipts, I found out that I had already paid for them. The lady at the counter told me that the checks would be mailed to me within three days. Here we are into day 5 and still no checks. Very unhappy customer. Service people do not know what they are doing at this location.

In my life of 54 years I had never seen such a company or corporation badly disorganized. Every store has specific prices. There are papers that are thicker than regular (65 lb package). I have bought it for six different prices in six stores. Something very funny is that suppose I have a paper having image of a business card, if they want to copy it on 10 papers it must be 8 times 13 = 1.04 $ total plus tax but in some of these stores they say because it is the business card you must pay 16.99$. Even in the specific store that I designed and paid fully (1201 N Central Expy, Plano, TX 75075) I must pay 16.99 to print 10 papers.

It is interesting. It depends on the specific employee who works there. Some employees accept one Dollar, the others say 17$!!! Although the most reason for the problem of this store is the retaliative-discriminative attitude of its manager (I will follow it up separately) but totally there is a very severe disorganization along with certain actions of some employees and managers that is going to bring this very good stores down.

Believe or not, for any action I need to go specific store to have the logic prices. I shall add one of the managers of the store located in Forest on and Josey in Dallas (the lady who is skinny) is very nice. There is an employee who works in store 901 N central Expressway. She is working there for several years and I really accept her as a very talented and generous person. Unfortunately forgot her name but will tell you later. In fact I have not seen more than 8 stores to judge generally but the managers in Plano would cause problem for you. I wish you consider this.

I am a teacher. I like sales that allow me to buy school supplies for my classroom, and for my students. Today, I went to OfficeMax with a list of sale items from Sunday's circular to buy. Right at the entry doorway, there was a big sign saying that OfficeMax loves teachers. As I filled my basket with notebooks, I asked a worker if there was a certain amount I could buy. He said, "Three." Three? Are you kidding me? That does NOT show love of a teacher. I put all of the items back and left the store, headed for Staples.

I was very dissatisfied with the customer service that I received from OfficeMax store #6483 today. I emailed a document to the store, all I requested was to increase the fonts on the document keeping it on an 8x14 and laminate it. I was extremely shocked when I was told it could not be done unless I went to a larger paper size. The reason that I'm shocked and disappointed is I know that it could be done because it's been done before. I am writing a complaint because it has happened several times where the employees are not helpful and never go the extra mile to provide quality customer service. I visited FedEx office and they got the job done in five minutes. Excellent customer service. I was completely satisfied when I left FedEx office and will continue to do business with them.

OK so I have about 10 to 15 or $20 worth of rewards. I can't use those awards when I make a new purchase. When I attempt to login to my screen from the email sent from OfficeMax, it won't let me do it from my iPad. Customer service has no email? 2015?

I had purchased 6 boxes self laminating name labels (Office Depot brand 100ct), 3 boxes of Avery self adhesive name labels, 2 storage clip boards & 2 boxes of counterfeit detecting pens from the store in Los Angeles, CA on 6/3/2015. It was for an event my company was hosting. I paid cash because it was a last minute purchase before door open. I ended up with 1 box of counterfeit detection pens & 2 boxes of self laminating labels left by 6/10/2015. I went to the store in the morning, unhappy. My employee misplaced the receipt for the items purchased. I was informed that I would get store credit (which is perfectly fine...) but at the lowest price in the system or 50% of the retail value of the items. I wasn't satisfied with this answer so I told the cashier I'd have my employees look for it more. About 45 mins before store closing, I sent my employee back with the items left, with no luck finding this receipt.

The items were 39.99 & 22.99 x2. He got a total of $37 in merchandise credit refunded onto a gift card. I'm livid at this point. That's not even the price of 1 item! I feel as if this company is taking advantage of consumers who aren't the most organized, and possibly stereotype the customer who is having the issue at hand. Not everyone is a return addict, nor is a tattooed person (mind you my employee is heavily tattooed, nothing offensive). These employees I have are extremely educated, and polite.

While this Office Depot employee unkempt, shirt dirty & had the vocabulary and communication skills of a 6 year old burn out. The manager of the store was rude, inconsistent with their return policy, clearly not of the fair corporate policy given online & posted in store, and needed to possibly be trained again in customer service etiquette. Don't rip off your consumers for misplacing a receipt for your overpriced office supplies, and pay more attention to your corporate guidelines & fair practices because that may be the key to your company's demise! From now on, my company will be using Staples.

I went online to purchase an item and tried to pay through PayPal. The transaction failed. No reason was given why. I have no problems with my PayPal account. I then called the store to see if they had the item in stock and was put on hold. After waiting and listening to muzak for ten minutes, I hung up. I then bought a similar item on eBay immediately afterwards and used PayPal to pay for it. OfficeMax, you really need to get your act together.

For at least 10 years I have been a customer of OfficeMax and have been part of their "rewards" program. I finally went to check on what had accumulated which took two 20 minute sessions with customer service. I have accumulated a grand total of 420 points. I am told at 1000 points I will be eligible to redeem a $10 certificate! Are they kidding me? This is the biggest waste of time and marketing!!!

The 31.00 fax they sent was not sending correctly, there was no fault at the fax waiting to receive, when I told them, I figured they would make it right and refund me, they didn't even care!! I left feeling ripped off and disappointed. :( This was on 5/19/15 OfficeMax 36/37 in Sunbury next to Kohls.

OfficeMax Company Profile