2. Shopping
  3. Grocery Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.57/5

Meijer Reviews

Original review: April 27, 2017

Had an incident at the subway in Meijer, talked to Theresa who works for Meijer (since I was a kid) listen to us and handled it in the best manner I have ever seen. She cares about her customers and it shows!!! I give Therese at Meijer 5 Stars!!! Thank you Theresa!!!

Original review: April 26, 2017

Law requires pharmacies to use child-proof caps unless consumers sign paperwork requesting they do not. I sign the papers: no child proof caps for me. But many pharmacies ignore this and give them to me regardless. So far this pharmacy has been 100% accurate with honoring my request. There are no kids around my home and none expected. I appreciate their attention to detail. I've had 3 surgeries on my hands in the last six years. Not everyone needs or wants child-proof caps.

Original review: April 25, 2017

Meijer Pharmacy is really good at keeping up on the medication that you need. They will call you when you need a prescription filled. I have never had a problem getting a prescription filled, or refilled when it is needed.

Original review: April 19, 2017

I went to Meijer's pharmacy to get a prescription filled. It was a narcotic. She said she wouldn't fill it because my insurance wouldn't cover it. I pay cash always. I been on it for 3 months and got it elsewhere and never had this problem. I called my insurance and they said it's up to me and my doctor not the pharmacy. The pharmacist has no decision on the medications I take. They just put pills in a container, make sure it's a real script, it's not days early, and then sell them to me. That is their job and that's it.

She doesn't know absolutely anything about my body and me personally. I'm on narcotic pain meds for a very good reason and meet the requirements to be on pain meds the rest of my life. I have got off pain meds several times since my pain caused incident completely on my own decision. It did not work out for me - my pain was too intense and I just couldn't handle it. I would get very depressed not being able to do any activities especially with my daughter. I was a couch potato and I hated it. I want to live my life somewhat normal which pain meds help lots. Some people abuse them, run out early and suffer. I'm not one of those people. They keep me alive and emotionally positive. Also the written prescription from my doc was completely legal, not early, and said the exact name of the med on the script. But she kept pushing for the name brand expensive drug that I never tried and had no interest in.

I always do reviews about meds, cars, food, gyms, so on. Reviews were horrible about the drug she was pushing for. I'm talking horrible, brain tumors, reactions with the blood thinner I'm on and more. So it wasn't a option for me. So she rejected my script. Now I'm out of my med and completely because of her I am now suffering. So I talked to my doc and he rewrote the prescription a little different so I would receive the exact med that I am on. I went back to Meijer and she still refused to fill it.

She called my doc and told him some comment I made. My comment was exactly - "The reviews had horrible side effects like brain tumors and I do not want them and the med I been taking is rated good and I have had no personal side effects from them." I did NOT say anything bad like, "You have any needles so I could inject it?" or "If you don't give me this drug I'm going to fight you." Those are examples of things that she definitely should not have filled my script. But I didn't say anything like that. Just that reviews were horrible and I didn't have a interest in the med she was pushing for. I was supposed to be at work this whole time by the way. My doc called me and had to meet with him. Then he drug tested me and so on. I passed like I always do. Which he hasn't drug tested me in a long time because he knows I take them and I am responsible with them. He rewrote it again.

I had to go back there because no other pharmacy in a 30 mile radius had the med. This was a horrible experience that I have never ran into. She made me feel like a junky. She made me very depressed. I just wanted to give up. So I of course I called a friend and they helped my get over it and got me thinking positive again. But moral of my review this was not fair what she was doing to me and this was not her decision AT ALL what meds I am on. I'm guessing she had personal experiences with someone she knew that had issues with the med and she was totally dragging me down and refusing to fill a script that has been helping me so incredibly good. This was not fair and wrong on her behalf.

Original review: April 11, 2017

My sixteen year old daughter and I were cashing out our items at Meijer express lane. My daughter proceeded to pay the bill with one dollar bills from the tip money she earned from her first job at an ice cream parlor when the cashier decided to question her about where her one dollar bills came from and should she even ask. The Meijer cashier implied my underage daughter was a stripper/prostitute in front of other customer in line who then commented "on the ice cream parlor paying my daughter in one dollar bills."

My daughter was so proud to pay with her own money and was verbally harassed by the cashier. I believe this is verbal sexual harassment of a minor by a Meijer employee. Contacted management who wouldn't even give me his correct name out of fear of a lawsuit. I believe my daughter was emotionally and psychologically scarred from this incident. I am contacting corporate headquarters tomorrow. If they do not fire this criminal I will go to media and tell everyone Meijer's employs people who verbally and sexually harass minors.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Meijer?

Original review: March 28, 2017

At the Meijer's in West Lafayette in the receiving department, there is a very disgusting person working. He works around food and certainly with food on a daily basis, yet this man is constantly sick with pink eye and other illnesses. He has been seen on several occasions using his work uniform/ clothing as tissues when he has a running nose. Management has been seeked out and spoken to in regards to this individual but they do not seem to care. I don't understand how several health codes are not being violated when an employee does not wash their hands, is often picking/ digging inside of their nose and ears. You would think that the store would care but perhaps they are just waiting for a lawsuit to take place. At least when your employee has pink eye, can you force them to stay at home please so that they do not risk infecting innocent others?

Original review: Jan. 29, 2017

For the last two years or so Meijer in Mason, Michigan has continued to decline. If an item is advertised on sale, it is rare to find it on the shelves. Poor planning, lack of managerial skills, and just plain lousy customer service about sum the store up. If you can't find what you are looking for the answer is almost always the same, (providing you can find a human to ask), "We don't have any control over what the computer orders." Then I say "change the way your system works!" This is akin to the old bait and switch routine. Last week and this one were no exceptions. What was advertised was not on the shelves. Also things that have been carried in the past can't be found. Why? Because no one is paying attention.

The few people wandering around the store that will talk to you are often rude and do not wish to be bothered. I have asked some of them to check and see if the item in question is not unpacked and could they please check to see if it is available. Most of them walk away and never return. I will call corporate again on Monday, though it seems to do little good. I couldn't even do the survey because there was no secure code on my receipt. The manager of the store said he couldn't do anything to help me. No more than expected from Meijer in Mason Michigan.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2017

I have seen so many Meijer that are not taking care of their fish. This is animal abuse and it's not right. The lady at the store in Sterling Heights told me they weren't sick, just napping. This is pure stupidity. She told me people also purposely pour things in their tank. The managers have given me over 200.00 dollars worth in free fish just to save them. Tell me how that is profitable for you? Why have fish and spend money on water and supplies and electricity just to have them die and lose money?

Clearly this is a poor business choice and if you were smart you would just use the space to sell something that is not living and being treated badly. This is sick to see and I am contacting my local news station to see if they will do a story on it. Walmart and Kroger don't sell fish anymore. Why the heck are you still doing it? Dumb. I go to Walmart and Kroger from now on. Not only do you lose money on fish but also thousands of dollars from me every year that I will take to Walmart or Kroger now.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

They carry a reasonable variety & when we needed to try other flavors of the Nutrish dog food we found he liked the turkey & Meijers was the only close store that carried it. In addition we frequently get coupons from Meijers for Nutrish. As far as employee knowledge & customer service with pet products I have never found an employee in this section. Meijers carries the flavor of Nutrish our dog prefers.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

The Meijer store I use most is one of the new smaller style stores. I like the way it's laid out and also the fact that other Meijer stores of the same style are laid out the same. The one thing about the smaller stores though is they don't carry quite the inventory as the bigger Meijer stores or the Super Centers. That isn't a huge issue as there is another bigger Meijer about seven miles farther down the road. My Meijer has excellent customer service and I would recommend it to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2016

You can trust Meijer's cashiers to not charge you twice for any given product, unlike another chain supermarket. They offer enough of sales competition in order to warrant changing stores, if you are thinking of doing so. The store is a clean, well organized and up to date with the products they sell. The associates are always friendly and competent.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2016

I went to get my money from store location Lexington ZIP code 40503. It was transfer through Western Union and the guy in the customer service he do not have experience and when he try to give my money he do not have big bill and the amount was $1865.20. He gave me a lot $20 and a lot 10 and 5 and 1 so when I was tell him "Why you did not tell me that you do not have big bill?" He said "That what I have," and the big problem he put all this change money in the top of the front counter and there is 15 customer behind me watching who he ACCOUNT this amount, then his boss come I was ask him this is not right way to give all this amount change and put all this money in the top of the front counter. He said "that what we have," so I recommend do transfer money through this store. To give me this money it's take more than 30 minutes. IT'S NOT SAFE.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2016

Store recently remodeled. Great year around selection of veggies & herbs. Wide variety of product & brand selection especially for the (rare) home cook. Prices are pretty competitive across most items.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2016

Meijer is a family run corporation. They value their employees, the store is clean and they are wonderful corporate citizens in the Grand Rapids area. I am so happy that they are opening a store in Escanaba, MI! Though I live in Arbor Vitae, WI, I have home connections with folks in MI and lived in Grand Rapids for many years and know of Meijers.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2016

Week before Xmas 9:00 in the morning 5 cashiers open with each having at least 5 to 6 people with full baskets in each line waiting to check out. Now across the street Costco has every cash register open with customer happy faces, but back at Meijer's 20 to 30 minute lines, not many happy faces!! Same day 12/12/16 store crowded with people and stock people all over with their carts. What too expensive to stock at night or have extra cashiers on Holidays. I asked the cashier about this and she said the Manager doesn't care. They give their advice and nothing happens. Krogers is a lot closer to me then Meijer's so what's a couple of bucks more for better service. GOOD MANAGERS NEEDED.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2016

I ordered 4 deli trays and when I went to pick them up they only had two of them and wanted to argue with me that I had ordered 4. I ordered them online and had the confirmation for the 4 trays on my phone. They were still argumentative and told me they could do nothing. I asked them if they could make 2 more trays but they stated they could not. There were two employees there and one of them started laughing about it because I was upset. I needed the trays for Christmas lunch at 11. Amanda I was picking up the trays at 7 am and they could not make the trays in order for me to have them at 11? It was clearly their mistake. I asked for a Manager and the female employee just wanted to argue with me. I will never shop at the Carmel Indiana Meijer again. I have never been treated that rudely. I spend over $300 per week on average and they have lost my business.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2016

I typically shop at the Meijer located on 26 Mile Road and Van Dyke which is located in Washington Township Michigan. The store is always clean for the most part and the employees are friendly and courteous. I work afternoon so all my shopping begins at midnight which is fine because I avoid all the big crowds. This store has a good selection of items. It's a store located in a smaller town so they actually have a good amount of items, considering its location. They have pretty good sales on a fairly regular basis. Though I've noticed that the sales aren't as good anymore no matter where you go nor do they occur as often. Such as life I suppose. Anyway, all in all I'm satisfied with the store. I'm also grateful that it's open 24 hours due to the hours I work along with my very busy and hectic personal life. I give 4 out 5 stars.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2016

Meijer's web page might as well be non-existent. Every time I get on it to try and see if they have what I want, it's a complete farce. Most of the time it's down! So then I drive there and they don't have it. It's like they only have stuff nobody wants. One time I had to get a vent hose for my dryer, so I go to Meijer's. I go to where the hardware department and find all the hardware for washers and dryers, but no vent hoses. I go to the non-service desk and after spending the night there, they tell me they are in the automotive department by the car batteries. I go there, thinking there is no way they could be there, but there they were. So now I advise everybody to keep a dryer vent hose in their car's trunk in case of an accident. I think I'm just going to stick with Walmart from now on. Unless, of course, I need a good laugh. Why do they have all those checkout counters and only a half dozen people working them? I have never understood that!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2016

I have been using Meijer pharmacy for 5 or 6 years now, But the last 6 months have been horrible. Today was the worst, I had placed a prescription refill and had called in the wrong numbers on a box. They said I had no refills and I knew this was wrong because I had just had it filled. So I checked the box and realized my mistake and called back immediately. Telling the pharmacist the right prescription and he reassured me it was fixed. Today when I went to pick up my order they told me it wasn't in their computer the ** I use. For my diabetes. They said I had to call my doctor to refill. I called the Dr. and they said the pharmacy should look it up because it was sent in on Oct. 28 with 4 refills.

I went to the front desk to tell them and the girl said ** was called in on Oct. 28 which was a lie because I haven't used ** for a while now. I came home and checked and I had got the ** on Oct. 28 so I called back and said I had proof that it was **. They said the Dr. still had to call. I told them like I did when I was in store the Dr. said to call them if there was a problem. Have to tell you I am fed up. They have screwed up my last 6 prescriptions like saying part of an order wasn't there and 20 mins. later on my way home they call and say it's ready etc. I am disabled and this is becoming inconvenient for me. I am also diabetic and luckily I have some insulin left or I would have some trouble without it especially as it is a holiday. I'm beginning to think I need to shop another store and use another pharmacy.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2016

I am very well aware that Meijer employees do not stock soda in any of their stores. However, keeping/ordering enough product and keeping it in their stores, is their job per se. In the three years that I have lived in this area, the 7-up distributor is the most laziest people I have ever seen. And the Florence store is losing so much money because they will not order enough to keep the shelves filled. Even on the opening day of an ad. Calls to Grand Rapids, 7-up & the distributor has fallen on deaf ears.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2016

Before the Meijer on S Penn, Lansing, Mi got rebuilt they had more. For the last 1 1/2 I put up with constant harassing/bullying by a greeter named Sue - berating me about not taking the Amigo out during the shift I shopped - 11pm - 2am usually. I spoke to a supervisor, but it went on. Another supervisor saw Sue and I having disagreeing words one time and just ignored the situation. I wrote a letter but never mailed to corporate. Now for the last 8mos or so this one ** chick on that same shift who oversees helping (only those she likes, I guess) with the automated checkout. I had chatted with her about faith and God one night & she just quit talking to me, looked like she was straightening up a shelf, and has ignored me, called others to fill in for her spot when I get up to the checkout, or done many other bizarre things - hiding from me, won't speak to me even when I speak & have tried to be friendly.

One night I had a guy in pets take up to front a darling piece of cat furniture that was $12.50 - a steal. They all know me. They all know I sacrifice to live with many rescued cats and that it's hard to make ends meet at times. Well, I forgot the furniture, went home & remembered it in bed. Silly me, thinking they would save it, put my name on it or have run out the door to catch me because I forgot it. Oh, NO! The one I call "hidey girl" suggested to other co-worker to buy it, so when I left, that's what she did - knowing I wanted it! How low can you go??

Today I spoke to store manager - after already writing a detailed letter to corporate and getting zippo response. The store manager made excuses, stuck up for the employee Sue and this other clown who is so rude and evil. She put me down for calling her names, though never said "I'm sorry." or anything vaguely kind or consoling. Said she would talk to the wench - which is what I called her on the phone conversation. The message I had left on the survey I said worse and know that was wrong - but gee, after 1 1/2 yrs of abuse by one employee and now another 8mos or so abuse by another - I have had it. She said she'd talk to her. WOW! I should have gotten a free $500 gift card for all they have put me through. I worked in customer service for 26 yrs, which I gladly told her, and never treated anyone poorly and would not have dreamed of treating anyone the ways I have been treated by these 2 poor excuses for employees.

There are hundreds of people out there who really need jobs, who are great with people; and they hire clowns like these. There are many really good employees at this store, but one bad apple more than spoils the whole barrel; when you feel like trash beneath their feet, every time you walk into the store. I am going to start shopping elsewhere for my food and staples; may have to continue with pet purchases here due to some of the lower prices; but I'll see what I can do about that too. It's just not worth being treated like crap!!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2016

I had purchased a bottle of alcohol in Ann Arbor but was heading to friends across the state. The clerk in Ann Arbor forgot to take the security cap off. No problem, I'll just stop in Jackson and have them remove it, right? WRONG. I didn't have my receipt so when I showed up at the customer "service" desk they all but accused me of stealing it. They would not remove the security top. I was upset because I had paid Meijer my money but now the manager was rude, escalating, obnoxious. She said that there were no transactions under my debit card.

However, I found today that they have to do manual checking if the transaction is within 24 hrs. She (Janet) failed to do this (lazy). When she said she was going to check further she went and got another manager and security and threw me out! I have the receipt in hand and am going to take this up with Corporate. I will do everything I can to never give Meijer another penny from my pocket! There are too many other good stores with great customer service to put up with this kind of appalling behavior.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2016

I am so tired of standing in line for 20-30 minutes when I check out. That does not even include the cashier ringing up my groceries! I spend half of my time shopping and half in line! I can't stand how long it takes to go grocery shopping! AND, guaranteed, every time I go, there is something out of stock that I need which means I have to go back again, which I dread, and sometimes it's still out of stock!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2016

To anyone at Meijer who cares about how their employees interact with customers: I've been a loyal customer at your Kalamazoo & 28th st. location since I was a child and today (5:20 pm) I had a very bad experience with one of your not so friendly employees. While in line checking out, an employee approached my 3-year-old daughter and aggressively shouted at my daughter to move out of her way so she could get through our lane. There was no emergency and no need for her to be so aggressive towards a little child. When I asked the employee to speak to my child differently and that she should probably speak to others a little kinder she, became upset and told me that how she spoke to us was fine. I then told her that I would have to talk to a manager about this to which she sarcastically challenged me to report her and that it wouldn't matter if I did.

Soon after, a manager (Caleb) approached me and told me that The Employee in question was not normally rude to people and that It wasn't a big deal. Unfortunately, this is not the case. I have witnessed this employee many other times being rude to her coworkers as well and other customers. The altercation I had with her was the last straw and the issue needs to be addressed. I shop all over this town and I have never had an issue like this. She is doing a major disservice to your brand. If You are in need of good examples of how your staff should treat paying customers, go down 28th street to Trader Joe's Grand Rapids to see how it's done! Please let me know what measures you will be taking to address this issue! Thank you! FYI: I am pretty certain that the employee's name is Sarah (Large ** woman in her late 30s).

Original review: Sept. 24, 2016

I purchase two money orders from the store and tried to cash them and was told that I couldn't cash them because they would be losing money. Well Help, what about me? I'm now out of $125.00 not including the cost to purchase them. I receive a phone call from the manager to bring them back in and when I did the manager was so disrespectful. I just walked away. I spend every month around $1,000.00 in that store on money orders. Not any more. Even if I have to drive several miles to Walmart. They will now receive all my business. I even told a few of my friends about the event and they have promised me that they too will stop shopping there as well. So if you're reading this, please give your business to other places like Walmart or Harding.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2016

I'm really tired of going to this Meijer and finding that they don't have the things they advertised for the week! This time, they advertise caramel apples (the first time for the season), and sure enough, when we go in, there are NONE! We asked the employees if it were possible that they had more in the back but were told they just don't have any because they ran out! This store is infamous for NOT being stocked or "running out" of things! If I go to another Meijer, I don't have the same problems so why this meijer? So many of the employees at this location are lazy too! There is a woman that works at the deli that will see people waiting for her and she makes them call her out because, otherwise, she will blatantly ignore them! Very unprofessional!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2016

I have been shopping at the stores in Madison Hghts., Mi and Warren, Michigan. The shelves are poorly stocked, especially with items on sale in all departments. They offer no rain checks, and I'm told from employees that they aren't hiring enough people to stock and those that are stocking are overloaded. The check-outs have long waits and the self serve also have long lines. The self serve registers don't work properly. Especially the coupon slot doesn't properly retrieve the coupon. Every time you try to submit a coupon you have to blow on it or try to shove it through.

The people monitoring the self check out are also understaffed and constantly having to intercede with assistance. Common items that vary from milk to meat to canned and boxed items aren't on the shelves and I have to go to other stores. They make sure they're own brand is accessible in lieu of name brands. They're understaffed, under-stocked, overcharge on sale items, and put price tags under items that aren't the price on the tag. I've been complaining for years. I just keep hearing they're getting or have new management.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2016

My husband went to the pharmacy on 16 Van Dyke in Sterling Heights, MI. Was told it would only be 30 min but it took 1 hour. While he was waiting he notice that nothing was getting done. But, he waited then 30 was up and his medication was not filled because the pharmacist was too busy giving a flu shot to a woman who came after him. When it was an hour that he finally got his meds he complained to the pharmacist **. He stated, "If you don't like it here to go shop somewhere else." My husband said he will talk to corporate headquarters. Let them know how they treat the customers there and that they changed the rules every month about when you can get your meds filled and that it's first come first service which is not true. We have been coming to this store for over 20 years and this is how we get treated being loyal customers. I hope things get resolved.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2016

The Meijer store in West Lafayette, IN has finally ticked me off to the point of no return. Two weeks ago, I was there 4 times looking for an advertised produce item. It never was in stock. Last week, again an advertised produce item was not in stock, but I picked up a few other items. When I got to one of only 2 open checkouts, it was 5:37 pm. There were 2 customers between me and the person being checked out. Not a great situation, but OK I thought. According to my receipt, it was a full 15 minutes before I was done. 15 minutes to check out is inexcusable. 5:30 - 6 pm would typically be a busy time of day and the store should be prepared. This store never has an adequate number of open lanes. The self checkouts are always backed up too. My time is valuable, Meijer. I will no longer be stopping by on a daily basis - on the off chance you'll have your sale items stocked. I will no longer be held hostage in your checkout lane. I am done.

Original review: July 26, 2016

I found a pair of Sketchers shoes that I wished to purchase. The shoes were on an end cap with several other pairs of Sketchers. Above the end cap was a sign stating additional 25% will be taken at the register. There was no additional amount taken at the register. The cashier was very rude and told me that Sketchers were never on sale. I told cashier that I wanted to speak with a manager and would pay for my items so that it would not inconvenience the customers behind me. After I paid for my items the call for a manager still was not made. Finally a manager came and I took him to the area where I found the shoes I wanted to purchase. He called another person and told me "No that sign is only for the clearance items." The sign does not say that and there were multiple boxes of shoes that were not marked clearance. I was under the impression that stores must sell for advertised price. I have attached a photo of the sign and the shelves.

Meijer Company Information