3.59/5

216 Meijer Consumer Reviews

Original review: Dec. 14, 2014

I have to say the Meijer's store in Birch Run, Michigan has to be the finest grocery and all-around department store I have ever visited. There must be an extra effort to make sure all the employees have the best customer service skills at this location. We have been going to this store since it opened more than a few years ago and any minor difficulties have always been immediately resolved, though there have been few. Everything in the ads is always available and, if not on the floor, courteous employees always check the back stock and bring the items out to the customers. It is unfortunate that there are so many complaints listed on this site for other Meijer locations. Our experience with Meijer's has been such that we drive the few extra miles to avoid any of the other grocery store chains in the area. Our weekly grocery bill is not small- but is well spent by choosing Meijer's...

Original review: Dec. 12, 2014

I am very upset that my daughter was fired for doing what she was told was "ok" by her supervisor. We will be fighting this through the union and anyone else who will listen.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2014

Meijer’s has switched banks from Synchrony to Comenity. During this switch they lost two transactions, one payment for 200.00 and another for 250.00. I sent them proof of these from my bank account for the 250.00 and the 200.00 was made at the service desk. I have been dealing with them since October trying to get this resolved and all I keep getting is a form letter. Could you please help??? Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2014

I had purchased a Skullcandy headset on 11/1/2014. While purchasing, I had specifically asked the Meijer employee at the Electronics department about the return policy, and I was advised that I had 30 days to return it, if I did not like the product. I found the headset too tight for my head and ears, and went back to the store to return it. The cashier at Customer Service told me that opened electronics items cannot be accepted. I explained to her why I was returning and asked her how could I possibly try it out without opening the box. She apologized and said that was the store policy. I could try talking to the manufacturer and see if they would entertain a return. I asked for a manager and she said that she was a manager. When I asked for someone above her, she said there was no one, and nothing further could be done!

I walked out of the store, and went back to my car, and was feeling angry all the time about how I had been treated. I decided to call the 1800 number for Meijers and file a complaint. After explaining my situation to the call center rep, she connected me back to the store, and I spoke to a gentleman by the name of Ken. Ken told me that the cashier who refused my return was wrong, and asked me to go back and tell her that Ken had authorized the return. I went back, and it was taken back without any issues.

I am just appalled at the quality of people handling the store - the cashier blamed the electronics department guy saying he had incorrectly told me the policy, and blatantly told me there was no one above her I could talk to. If I had taken her word for it, I would be $80 in the red, and a few points lower in self-esteem because of the way she talked to me. Meijer needs to do a better job teaching its employees how to handle customers. I doubt I am going to go back to the store for a while - if I do, it is because folks like Ken exist.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2014

As I was entering a Meijer, a handicapped woman with a walker and an oxygen tank slipped and fell. She was fine, thank goodness. But what I did not see was a wet floor sign where the greeter was mopping. They were pushed up against the wall behind the door. Be cautious wherever you go.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Meijer?

Original review: Nov. 4, 2014

Every time I come to this pharmacy it always seems to take forever to get a prescription. I'm tired of it. I can walk into any Walgreens and be in and out in 10 minutes. At Meijer I have to drive all the way there, back 2 hours later and sometimes it's still not ready. I'm tired of my time being wasted and my child being in pain while Meijer takes their sweet ** time. The DMV has higher quality service!!!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2014

Like most folk in the area I really looked forward to the grand opening of the Alma Meijer store. Produce is my passion and I would travel to East Lansing and other Meijer stores in order to get fresh organic produce. Fuel, travel time was/and now is again a bit of a pain but worth it to me. The store opened earlier than advertised and I was one of many smiling bobble heads crossing the threshold. I went straight away to the produce and was extremely surprised and disappointed with their produce department. The Kale was riddled with larva holes, wilted, turning yellow and soaked with water. The cucumbers were moldy and rotted.

I reached out to Meijer (see attached images below) with my concerns and I prefaced these concerns by letting them know that I'd never had this happen before in any Meijer store. Along with my concerns I asked that they look into this. I received a prompt and courteous reply from Meijer customer service who stated that she would be forwarding my correspondence to the Alma store directly and that I would be hearing from them directly. To date I have not heard from any Meijer representative.

Assumptions are never very reliable. However when one's concerns get dismissed one has to wonder why this happened in the first place. Is this perhaps a demographics issue? Do corporate bean counters determine that country "corn fed" folk won't be as interested in organics as much as our more trendy locations so let's give the Alma store everyone's seconds??? The organic produce I looked at were basically nutrient depleted yet the big fat organic price was fresh as ever. I think it important to include that I had made just under a dozen trips to the Alma store before stopping all together. I will be following up with any future developments to include pics if I find the organics in the same shape as I expect them to be. On the same note… if my visit finds a produce department fitting of the store's namesake I will update with that information as well.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2014

Meijer Thrifty Acres in Grand Rapids issued BE-WELL cards, which advertise a 10% discount on fresh fish, chicken, fresh produce and more. The Meijer Be Well website is located at www.bewell.meijer.com. The only problem is that Meijer does not give the advertised 10% discount! This is false advertising, and Meijer has been pocketing money from its customers under false pretenses.

A friend and I noticed the problem months ago. We first contacted the store manager by phone. The store manager never heard of the advertised 10% discount. We contacted the Corporate office in Grand Rapids, MI and spoke with a "customer care" rep, who assured us that the problem was that the computer was not programmed correctly to issue the discount, and guaranteed that the problem would be corrected immediately. No such luck.

Two weeks ago at the Grand Rapids Plainfield Ave store in Grand Rapids, the discount was not issued. Again, Thursday October 2, 2014, the advertised discount was not applied at the Standale Crossings store on Wilson Ave NW in Grand Rapids. The store manager never heard of the program. We contacted Customer care at the corporate office in Grand Rapids, and spoke with Katy and Dave. Neither ever heard of the discount which Meijer advertises.

We sent emails to various Meijer reps, who are listed as VPs. Attached is the e-mail to Meijer, which documents their continued fraud, by advertising a discount and not even programming it into their check out lanes, thereby not applying the discount. Bottom line, the public is being ripped off with false advertising. Also, the name provided, was some IT person, and he forwarded the e-mail to pharmacy, to Jason **, who phoned my friend early morning when he requested not to be contacted. Just more of the same. Meijer is no better than Dell or Comcast.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2014

I purchased a packaged fish product that was labeled on the shelf as 5.99. The scanner system at the U-scan was not working properly so the woman, when she felt like it, scanned my items. The monitor never cleared so I never saw the prices checking out. I live more than 12 miles from the store. I called the store. All I received was the runaround. Given an "800" number, called it and they returned me to the store where I spoke to a "manager" that was either brain damaged or the most intentionally truculent jerk I have ever encountered. Now I am writing here before I proceed to the Ohio Attorney General's site. Meijer has no integrity, has illegal procedures and pricing and does not care a fig about either. Stay away!!!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2014

I visited the Grove City Meijer store on 9/22/2014. I recently had surgery and have been unable to lift anything heavy. The young man who was working in the garden center came to help me with all of my needs. His name was Chase **, and he helped me pick out my fence, along with the right soil to help with planting grass. He went out of his way to make sure that he got the heavy bags that were located on the shelf, and had them all ready for me when it was time to check out. He then loaded up my care with the items that I purchased. He did not have to do all that he did, but he made sure that I was taken care of. I have not found this type of service in quite some time, and I hope that he will be recognized for his outstanding customer service. He is truly one fine young man.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2014

Went to 3 rivers, me with Rx for 30 ** paid left, got outside, opened and didn't look right, only had 24. Returned to pharmacy, they said there is nothing they can do. Refused to address issue, going to call Dr, let him know and see if he wants law enforcement involved. There is something I can do, diversion is serious and illegal, gonna sit in pharmacy till resolved even if dear has to be involved. Looked at consumer reviews and this is a recurring problem.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2014

The store located in Southfield, Mi is nasty, dirty, and unorganized. The shelves are always empty. The floors need to be mopped. This store has turned me against shopping at Meijer. They advertise sale items but never have the products!!!

Original review: July 31, 2014

Pharmacy department. Count your meds...been shorted. Pharmacist very rude.

Original review: July 28, 2014

I always paid my Meijer credit card on time. I used it as an emergency card and generally paid the balance off within two months. With no prior notice, my account was decreased from $300 to $150. This happened right before Christmas 2013. I went to purchase some last minute gifts for about $30 & found I could not use the card. I was upset but decided to keep the account open. Today I found the account was closed by Meijer. It had a zero balance!! When I asked why, the agent said it was because I was behind on payments on other accounts unrelated to my Meijer card. I don't understand why they would cancel an account when for over two years it has always been paid. It had a $150 credit limit. I have several other accounts for far greater limits & they don't seem to be concerned with my finances as long as I make payments to them. As long as I paid my Meijer account on time there shouldn't be any issue. I will not shop there again.

Original review: July 13, 2014

I had my purse stolen while I was checking out at The Meijers in Greenwood, Indiana. I was checking out at the self-checkout register with approx. 10 items. My purse was stolen and I had a hard time getting any of the staff or management to help me look or try to locate my purse. The manager lied to me several times about how he was trying to help me. The store employees or management did not follow the correct procedures during my incident per the police. I couldn't even get any one corporate employee to listen to me about my incident. I will never support this store again. I would recommend anyone to shop somewhere else where the customer service is better. I hate to say this because the stores are awesome but the company does not care for their customers.

Original review: June 20, 2014

We bought regular white bread from Meijer, it had a rusty metal wire (about 5-6'' long) inside. My 11 y/o daughter didn't understand the wire and started eating those breads. Once I found out, I was concerned for her health. I called Meijer's corporate office (Grand Rapids, MI) and spoke to Senior management office lady and she said she will follow up with me. I never receive any follow up from her, in fact she never return my numerous phone calls.

Meijer never care about their consumers except their profit. Their (most) own brands sucks the quality. I made the video of the bread and wanted to upload in YouTube. Hope you understand, how they made bread and their quality (metal wire inside? Come on)... and no one will answer your question if you have an issue with a Meijer brand products. Be careful before you buy their brand.

Original review: April 16, 2014

I too was shorted on my Rx at Meijer pharmacy. I'm 52 and am caring for my husband who has MS and caring for my mom who is at the end of her life. My Dr. prescribed ** for anxiety. The prescription was wrote for 90 pills. I returned home and found it was 30 short. After calling not only the pharmacist but store manager 3 times, I was told they would call me the next day after they did a pill count. I received a call from my Dr.'s office the next day telling me to call the police. Meijer pharmacy without my permission or knowledge called him to ask him to write 30 more! Count your medication before you leave!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2013

I wanted to let you know of an issue at Meijer that I feel the public and other military families should know. I had surgery and my husband was taking my prescriptions to be filled at Meijer due to having a coupon to get 20.00 for new prescription. When my husband gave them the coupon and the scripts they denied him stating Tricare (military insurance) is not allowed to receive the deal due to the coupon saying no Medicaid, Medicare and government programs able to use.

Well we called our insurance company who confirmed we were not a government program as well as Military OneSource. They stated we were an insurance not program. We pay monthly premiums and copays as well. Meijer stated nothing could be done. I had Mike from corp call today and expressed no insurances that are federal insurances can receive the coupon. I expressed coupon misleading with the wording. He expressed that it's not. I states we were not on a program and that what it states on the coupon. I asked him why they do not have it worded that some insurance may not apply then worded government programs. He said his legal department feels that it is worded the best.

He expressed that he would love to send us coupons or gift card but that legally he cannot do that due to the circumstances that he would be fined from the government. I expressed that we did not fill there and could not understand why he would be fined for sending a gift card to apologize to a military family. He expressed it is easy to understand why. I have never met a company to not make it right with a customer or apologize when the worded is not correct on their coupon. We have been in the military 8 years and never have come across this. Must companies offer military discounts already.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2013

Why did they even start selling this precious little Betta fish if they are not even taking care of them? The conditions of Betta fish in my local Meijer is beyond terrible. Half of the Bettas are dead and other half is sick with severe cases of fin-rot and dropsy. The water quality is terrible, their cups haven't even been cleaned in weeks or even months. I even saw some dead bodies already decomposing and algae is growing from within. This is terrible, I felt very angry at their treatment of Bettas. Betta fish are very smart and emotional creatures. I had a few and they can live 3-5 years in good conditions. They dance in the morning to greet you. They are very pleasant fish to have as a pet.

I am disgusted by the torture they receive in stores such as Meijer. I beg Meijer to drop the sale of this fish and just sell what you do best (produce, furniture, non-living creatures). Please leave this side of the business. You are not making much and in the process you are killing and torturing these poor little creatures. Please have some heart. There are Petcos and Petsmarts right across the street from your stores. Let them sell live fish. At least they kill a bit less than you...

Original review: Aug. 20, 2013

Service at Meijer Pharmacy leaves a lot to be desired... They seem to be out of the medicine you need more than they have it. They do not get your order ready in a timely manner even when you call it in ahead of time as I always did. The employees are not the friendliest or helpful or motivated people I've come across, therefore I have changed to another pharmacy.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2013

I bought a t.v. from Meijer in West Carrolton, Ohio for about $289 and it looked perfect for my new room in college and so I bought it. Upon opening it three months later I was trying to set it up only to find that I was missing the screws. Well the screws for my tv were custom made as a 8 x 16 and was is not held in stock at Walmart or Menards or even Meijer when trying to buy some new screws. I ended up buying 4 sets of screws to try and fit my tv. When finally able to get my tv on the stand I next realized that the power cord was missing. Seriously how do you forget to put the power cord of a tv in the box? I went to Menards and Meijer again only to be told that this item is not sold separately from the tv. I need to know what I can do to obtain the power cord.

Original review: June 25, 2013

I went to the Belleville Meijer #72. It was a nightmare. I've gone to this Meijer many times before, but this day proved to be a disaster. I filled my tank up with premium gas at $3.75/gallon. I got $40 worth of gas (I paid at the pump) and returned to my car. As soon as I went to take off, my nightmare began. My car started shaking, smelled of rotten eggs and wouldn't accelerate. Also, my car stalled on me. I simply wanted a refund and the red tape I've encountered is unacceptable. Management has told me that I need to take my car to a mechanic and have them verify that I indeed received bad gas. I can understand this fact, but there's no compassion for the inconvenience and annoyance I've suffered as a result of this unfortunate circumstance. Meijer has definitely lost a customer.

Original review: June 5, 2013

I called Meijer Pharmacy Store #113 2591 East M-21 Corunna, MI at 6:24pm on 6/4/13 to get prices on 3 prescriptions for my son. Within a half hour, I was at store to get them filled. My son waited 15 minutes to be helped. The customer at the counter was told it would be about 1/2 hour to fill her prescriptions. My son approached counter, was told that “We don't have enough people working, we're very busy and we can't fill your prescriptions before the pharmacy closes.” It was only 7:15 pm. We took the prescriptions to a Walmart and had them filled. The unprofessional and rudeness that was experienced will deter me from doing business with Meijer’s.

Original review: April 13, 2013

I went in to the Cascade Meijer to purchase cat food in a very large amount. It was a Saturday. The employee I had spoken to was named Mark. I loaded up my cart to the top with cat food and then was asked about it by a fat little short old man. I told him about Mark giving me permission to clear the shelf since it was the last day of the sale. He scurried off and I thought nothing of it. I was later in the produce section looking at raspberries for my very last item before checking out. I was then cornered by Mark **, an old lady, and the fat old man. ** asked me what I thought I was doing and how I was paying for my load of items. He asked if I had any coupons. He also accused me of lying and said that he had given no such permission to buy so much cat food. I told him that I had indeed spoken to a man named Mark. He told me I could use only 1 coupon for the whole purchase.

It was scary because they had surrounded me and backed me into a corner. I started crying and saying that I was donating all of the cat food to two separate cat shelters. More people gathered to stare at me. He treated me like a criminal, like I was stealing. He didn't care - he just shot me down with his cold dead eyes and told me that if I tried to check out, I would be detained by security and they would call the police. I had no idea what to do. I was humiliated because I had cried so loud, which brought attention to me. I was doing nothing wrong. I ended up leaving the store with nothing. I could barely drive home.

When I got home, my husband was outraged at how I'd been treated. He called Meijer until he got into touch with the VP! The VP apologized for Mark's behavior and offered to donate 200 lbs of cat food to my two charities of choice! He also told Mark to apologize to my face. I went in with my husband and Mark had us meet him in the very back of the store. I thought that was odd. He had the old lady with him that had helped corner me. She scowled the whole time at us. Mark looked down at the ground and mumbled some BS, not really a sorry at all. It took all my husband had to not punch the loser in the face. Mark ** is a terrible little man. I hear he has been transferred to the Knapp Corner store. He should have been fired. I should have sued him. I have gone through a lot of emotional distress over this. I had nightmares for months afterwards. I didn't shop for 4 months after it happened.

I am a shy, quiet, and reserved person. I am still upset by the way I was treated. I won't soon forget the feeling of being publicly humiliated.

Original review: April 2, 2013

We were recently notified that Meijer was reducing the incentive reward for the Meijer credit card. The previous reward was a one time 20% off coupon on grocery purchases for every $2,000 charged on the Meijer credit card. This was an incentive for many customers including me to shop there. It is reduced to 5% grocery coupon now for $1,500 credit card purchases. We won't shop there as much because without this coupon, we can save as much or more at other stores.

Original review: March 27, 2013

No help at all, and no one to ask question. Finally, I found a lady named Corrine. She said, “One minute please.” She left. I was waiting for 15 minutes, but she never came back. The lines to pay are so long. First time I went to Meijer at Rolling Meadows and the last.

Original review: March 25, 2013

We were shopping at Meijer and since we were in a hurry, we decided to do the self check out which we rarely use. It never saves time and there is always a problem with coupons or something not scanning correctly. At any rate, we spent approx. $40, paid for it and proceeded to walk out. All of a sudden, some crazy lady from Loss Prevention comes over to us and asks us to follow her. We ask why… she just repeats herself. We stupidly followed this woman, and she accused us of shop lifting because one of our items did not scan! We always take the high road and told her this must have been an oversight. She insisted it was not.

Okay, she took our information and filed a formal complaint. She then handed us a fine of $200. Now mind you the item she was accusing us was a $2.00 bakery item! At first, we thought this was a joke! She then padded us down, looked into my purse and when I became angry, she called the police! This woman is nuts! Apparently, she finds some sort of power into intimidating customers. We are filing a lawsuit against Meijer for wrongly accused and defamation of character! So people, be aware if you choose to shop at Meijer!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2013

I purchased the Meijer brand 100% EVOO 3 liter bottle for $20 and conducted the refrigeration test on it to see if it would solidify. It is reported that 100% EVOO will solidify or even a well-disguised counterfeit, but it most certainly did not! Avoid Meijer brand EVOO! It is a fake product. Needless to say, I am returning this product and I no longer have confidence in Meijer brands.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2013

On December 31st, I ordered furniture from Meijer online. On January 1, I asked for the order to be cancelled. On January 2 in the afternoon, Meijer shipped it anyway and now Meijer wants me, once it is delivered, to take it back to the store. This is ridiculous.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2012

I am officially outraged! I have been a shopper at Meijer for 20 years. Since I was diagnosed as a diabetic this summer, I have used the Meijer Pharmacy on 28th Street and Kalamazoo in Grand Rapids, MI. Every month, I go and get my insulin and every single month, there are issues. Last month, I had to wait 1 hour 40 minutes just to receive them after they were sent to the wrong Meijer's and 2 prescriptions were somehow lost. And, I was given the wrong dosage and was told to deal with it until next month. Why do you feel you can play with people's lives? Today, I went to pick them up after the Meijer Pharmacy line had called me yesterday and today, to let me know to pick them up. She said they were at a different pharmacy, again(!) in Cascade, MI.

I am working 2 jobs and don't have an hour to wait. She said she could have them ready in an hour but I had to be at work within the hour. I have never sent prescriptions there before! This is the 5th month in a row that Meijer's had done something to prevent me from getting my medicine. I have written a letter to Meijer last month as well as the Better Business Bureau. You cannot keep playing with people's lives. I have overlooked these errors because of my family's love and admiration of Meijer and of Fred Meijer himself. We knew the man and we are still very fond of him. This is not the customer service he established all those years ago. I am so disgusted right now with Meijer.

I have had Meijers who have lost my prescriptions, said my prescriptions never existed, ran out of my medicine, and never really filled them. I'm sick of this service. I don't think you understand. Without my medicine, I could die! And yet, you keep playing with my life. I am very upset and angry. I need some action taken today!

Meijer Company Information