1.85/5
Based on 186 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

207 Meijer Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I shop at Meijer once a week and love it. My complaint is with that pathetic online shopping site they have floating around collecting dust! Have y'all seen that silly site!? Just terrible! Doesn't reflect what they have in their stores at all. I shop online at Target & Walmart all the time & as sad as their sites are, Meijer's Online Store is way worse! Sad too because I buy a lot and often from the other 2 I mentioned. Get it together Meijer or you'll be shadowing Sears and Special K quick!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I went to this store after work 2/8/19 to pick up a few items and play the lottery, as I often do. There are wonderful people that work there but this one person makes the trip so unpleasant when I have to go in to shop. The time was approximately 17:08. I approached the customer service desk to play the lottery after purchasing my items... There is a ** woman that works there that has zero personality and should find a place in the store where she doesn’t have to interact with the public. I simply asked her a no-brainer question, “is your lottery up?” She replied that she was basically too busy to look up and say yes or no... I come in often and I hate when I encounter her. Good thing there’s lots of choices in Cincinnati for grocery stores because I will not be going in Meijer again.

Get expert buying tips about Grocery Stores delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

My name is Karen **. My husband and I went to the deli department on 1/19/2019, standing and waiting our turn. This lady skipped us and went and helped someone else - ok we just brushed it off. Then she came to help us. We asked for what we want. Asked her opinion. She asked if we would like to sample it, "Ok we will." She threw it on the counter so I became very upset, "How you going to throw our food." She threw the package of meat she packed up so I went and asked for a manager - management took long. Of course they do not care so I left my cart and all the stuff in the cart.

A lady came out and asked me to come back in. I explained what happened. I requested something for what I went through. 25.00 Meijer gift card does not make up for disrespect. This elderly ** meat lady has always treated us borderline rude but this day I was not having it any longer. I wish I knew her name because I would put it on here. Going forward she better get it right or I calling corporate and she will not know what happened because this must stop! I respect you and deserve the same respect back period!!! There is no excuse for this type of service.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

When I check my bill it is usually not correct in the Michigan store in Jackson on Michigan Ave. Charged for red peppers when I buy green. I have been told when I shop next time an adjustment will be made since I'm a mPerks customer - doesn't happen.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

My name is Herman **. I shop at Meijer on Alpine Northwest Grand Rapids Michigan three times a month also prescriptions. Each time that I go to the self-checkouts Meijer have. I find myself being watched by a customer helper. I've notice each time before I get to the self-checkout line there is no customer helper standing directly in front of other customers. All of a sudden the helper leaves her station and comes to the checkout machine I'm using and stands right across from me directly to make sure that I'm not trying to slip out without paying. And doesn't asking do I need any assistance checking out. But there are other customers around that don't get the same treatment that I'm getting. I don't like to the call names. But I'm beginning to feel that Meijer doesn't appreciate my business and I've shopping at the Alpine Meijer because of its convenient location.

I would hope that I wouldn't have to go into Meijer just to observe how they treat some of their regularly customers. I spend between 47.00 to $50, 75.00 along with prescriptions monthly. Each time that I'm there. I have complained, and called their customer service office. Nothing been done. This is my second complaining. The Meijer on Plainfield Avenue in Grand Rapids Township. I don't have this problem as the one on Alpine. So I no longer shop at at Meijer. Simply because of this reason. Your cooperation is mostly needed. Thank you!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Meijer?

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

Just got E-coli from burger bought 5 days ago in a Saginaw, Mi. location. Once we knew we were all sick we dumped our chili. We don't get sick often from food. We are "wide awake" and pay very close attention to EVERYTHING. We are not the only ones but every time we go to Meijer we end up anxious, feeling dizzy or distraught, eye irritation, overwhelming depressed feeling, and/or migraine. Per our research it is suggested that the "fluorescent lights" not light sensitivity causing the problems. There are reports of employees having feelings of "time loss" and several told us they had to set the timer on their phones while in there or they feel like they have been in a time warp.

One young man mentioned wandering around lost and dazed for 2-1/2 hrs while shopping and purchased nothing but felt dazed and sick until he left. If you do your "case study" research investigation in the effects of electrically charged radiation causing mercury in fluorescent lights you will see why people are staying away from Meijers and going to Kroger and Walmart not just because of overpriced contaminated meat.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I understand that there is an opioid epidemic right now, but that doesn’t mean your pharmacist has the right to talk to me like I am... She actually told me “if I stop talking and listen...” Not professional at all!!! She then went as far as to right on my script “filled 11-8, don’t fill till 12-8” When the script written by MY Dr says 30 days, not 31!!! She wrote this because I asked for my prescription back to have it filled elsewhere... She also questioned my ability to count!!!

I have serious medical problems, one being seizures... So if the stress and embarrassment of her talking to me this way, or talking loudly enough so everyone now knows what I’m taking, causes a seizure, who should I mail the medical bills too??? I see a pain management Dr, I’m drug tested at every appointment, it’s not your pharmacist right or responsibility to treat me like a drug addict!!! And that’s exactly how it felt!!! Not everyone who takes pain meds are law breaking addicts!! I do have a pic of the prescription if someone at Meijer would like to see it...

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I live in the Milwaukee area, there are two Meijer stores nearby my home. Whenever I do any grocery shopping here, I find myself wandering aimlessly, trying to find items on my list. My example from today, would be for popcorn salt. I went to the aisle where the large ceiling sign, said POPCORN. Ok, well here is where I need to be. WRONG! There were bags of popcorn, but the next aisle over had the microwave popcorn, bottles/bags of kernels, popcorn seasonings, etc. That aisle is listed as having nuts, and who knows what else. Just this little sign above the popcorn. Guess what? There was NO popcorn salt near the flavorings! Why? Other stores I shop at have popcorn salt near the flavorings and popcorn. Nope, I had to search around, deciding that maybe it was by the salt in the baking aisle. Sure enough!

On the bottom shelf, crammed between other salt, I found popcorn salt. How stupid. It’s similar to the jello and pudding. In other grocery stores, you find these in the baking aisle, not at Meijer! The jello and puddings are all discombobulated together, in the coffee aisle. Or let’s talk about how the condensed milk and evaporated milk, both baking items, are also NOT in the baking aisle! The other aisles are set up weird like this as well. Chips for example are side by side aisles, instead of long continuous aisles. Look, I realize I can get my steps in on my fit bit, at you Meijer stores, but that isn’t really my plan. I’m a busy mom, and the last thing I need, is to be wandering your stores looking for things! Who is the toddler that you keep using to set up your grocery areas! This toddler should be fired, because no one in their right mind enjoys chasing around for items while shopping! I need to just stick to shopping at Woodman’s! It’s cheaper there anyways!!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I have shopped at my Meijer store since it opened. I shop every week and spend well over 100 dollars. Meijer had great produce. Not anymore. An example is bulk red potatoes. They always look like shriveled who knows what. In season corn looks like it has been drying on the vine. I haven’t bought corn at Meijer for over 2 years. They use to have self check out for large orders, long belts, etc, and you bagged your own. I loved this feature. They did away with this and now I have to go through a checker, who has no idea how to bag groceries. It is absolutely unbelievable that I who have never worked at a grocery, know how to bag better than any employee at the store.

I really don’t want to go anywhere else, but each week I get closer and closer to doing so. I don’t get my prescriptions there but have asked the pharmacists questions on several occasions and they are very unfriendly. One other thing that has really prompted me to write this is the latest recall of romaine lettuce. Meijer had NO lettuce, No Spinach, nothing. A few bags of broccoli coleslaw. I went to Kroger and they had all kinds of lettuce. Red leaf, green leaf, arugula, etc. Walmart had red leaf, arugula, etc. What’s up with that. I don’t want to have to go to different stores for groceries. But if I have to do that, I will just find a new store.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

The lines were so long on a Saturday it wasn't funny. The service coordinator they have is awful. I think her name is Kristina. She rude and doesnt need to be in customer service. She wouldn't open any more lanes. She just stood there. I was a regular customer but not anymore.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I went to the pharmacy drive in at the Meijer in Lowell, MI, and the pharmacy clerk said, "I can't wait on you in that, you must be in a motor vehicle." The "that" she was referring to was my bicycle, which I had ridden on busy roads to get to the drive in. I might go inside, but Meijer does not offer safe parking for bicycles. So, I switched my prescription to another pharmacy, and was pleased to get a better price as well as service. This is the first time I've been refused service at a drive in while on my bicycle. I have day/night flashing lights front and rear, and a flag, so visibility is not a problem.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Every single week, the Cascade Meijer is OUT of at least one item I buy weekly. It doesn't matter the day of the week or the time of day, I always have to leave without an item on my list... EVERY SINGLE TIME!!! What an inconvenience! I'm sure I'm not the only shopper experiencing this.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Meijer mails customers their own Meijer coupon. I watched the cashier scan my Meijer coupon and then I saw her punch another button. I asked the cashier what they were doing. The cashier told me that for all of the Meijer coupons that they mail to my house, she has to hit an extra button even though the coupon worked properly. The lines are already long at Meijer, I do not want to stand in line any longer while the cashier has to hit an extra button when the coupon worked fine.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Self checkout computer froze up after I scanned my merchandise but did not give me a receipt. A cashier then rang up my merchandise again and gave me a receipt. When I balanced my checking account, I found that I had been charged twice. When I called the store I was given a recording that hung up on me. This was all done with my debit card. Now I am out the amount that was duplicated.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

Each and Every time I go to pick up my prescription I have to wait at least a half an hour while they screw around filling other orders instead of handing me the supposedly ready for pick up prescription! Total joke!!! Many times I was given only a partial prescription, then when I come back two days later they try to charge me a second co-pay fee! DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME with MEIJER!!!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

The wild cod fillets I purchased had the most terrible taste of ammonia! Couldn't eat it, it tasted so bad. AND it didn't smell bad! I am a fish eater and always have been. So, I Googled this whole scenario and discovered that SOME companies spray their fish with ammonia to keep it from spoiling. It tasted awful. Will NEVER buy fish there again. No smell AND going rotten...nice.

Original review: June 3, 2018

The Meijer store offers many products. Their prices are competitive. It is always clean. The employees are always cheerful and want to help. We enjoy shopping there.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I was put hold for 10 minutes with customer service checking a rebate that was about 3 weeks ago since I got no status updates. This was for Sylvania Xvision pair of headlight light bulbs, with purchase of it you got a $15 rebate. After talking to Meijer's M Perks department they told me this promotion was done through Sylvania not Meijer, so there was one run around on my end. I reached out to Meijer's customer service number just now about my rebate and they relayed my message to the director of this store. I was told he had no recollection about this rebate and basically was called a liar. I'm absolutely positive that there was a yellow sticker at the time of purchase that said $15 rebate otherwise I wouldn't of purchased it since they were $60 a pair.

After all in all being on the phone for 15-20 minutes I was told that I wouldn't be receiving nothing for my inconvenience nor for the rebate. The reason for this review is that someone can see this to see that I'm not lying about this that in fact there was a rebate around May 7th for this product. Also, so management can seriously take notes on their screw ups and record ALL pictures of all rebates and sales.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Meijer will not do what they are supposed to when it comes to refunding money orders. According to Western Union's site, they should offer me a form and take the money order and completed form to start the refund process. All they would do is say 'you can try to call Western Union'. Totally WORTHLESS. AND THEY COULDN'T CARE LESS. THEIR ATTITUDES ARE HORRIBLE. CUSTOMER SERVICE IS LESS THAN ZERO.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Been a Meijer shopper 45+ years. The coupons shooting out of the register are useless. I refuse to sign up for Mperks so I guess that explains the coupon mailer I occasionally get in the mail and sometimes use. This morning I purchased Tide liquid only to be told the bottle I bought was too big, the coupon only applied to the smaller size! It has been sad to see the downslide, especially over the last 10 yrs. An apology would have been nice but all I got was a blank stare when I complained. Sad...

Original review: March 12, 2018

I wish I could post a picture of the ripped bag on the ground that LISA put 2 bottles of wine & a carton of O.J. in. This girl could not be bothered to use the brain she supposedly was given. Are they teaching any common sense steps for cashiering and bagging at Meijer? 3/11/18, 18:46:07, South Haven, MI store.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I can usually find what I'm looking for at Meijer. Their selection in many product categories is really good. You can get wrapping paper, cards, toys, paint, crafts, home decor and groceries.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

In the Kentwood and GR area, almost every Meijer trip I make I need to decide an alternative or replacement to my shopping list due to items not being stocked. At first it was only in the Marketplace Meijer and I would drive out of the way to the Beltline or Cascade Meijer, but lately it has been EVERY Meijer I shop at. I thought, maybe because I shop Sunday or Monday, they are still recovering from the weekend shoppers. Except that I've lately shopped all days of the week, sometimes to try again for items I missed because of none in stock, and all hours of the day still remain unstocked for items like Milk, Creamer, basics! Whether it's bad management or what, I don't know. But even when I see carts of product being hauled around at all hours by employees, items often are frustratingly not available to purchase. I've lately turned to Trader Joe's and Target for things I need, which are almost never out of stock.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

Picked up an order at the Rochester Hills, MI store yesterday. A small order and still the employees didn't get the order correct. Order 9 pieces of Tilapia fish that was on sale and received only 2 pieces. It was necessary for me to go back in line and waste my time while other cars were picking up their orders to correct this mistake. When I asked for an explanation as to the error, the employee made some ridiculous comment. The employees at Curbside are rude, have no manners and don't pay attention to details on the orders. I refuse to pay for such incompetent lousy service. Employees don't care and are the absolute worst.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Have been a shopper at Meijer for over 8 years now. Never went to any other grocery store but things have started to change. I have to go and shop at other renowned stores for basic food necessities. I have stopped buying milk at Meijer altogether. It starts to go bad after a few days of opening. The produce at Meijer has severely declined. I don't buy any vegetables from Meijer at all. They are usually withering and rotten.

I have been to the store at different hours to see if I can buy fresh produce but no luck! The lettuce especially is mostly rotting. A lot of the items are missing from shelves. The worse part is that they have so many cashier registers but hardly any of them are open. Most of them are closed. What's the point in having so many registers when there is no one to operate them? Meijer has really deteriorated in the last year or so and it sure is a shame because I was always satisfied and never had any complaints for all those years.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

Last night I was shopping at the Meijer in Shelby Township, MI. The lines we all long, including the self service which was at least 20 people deep. I decided to go to a regular register and chose the first open line I came to. An employee, named Robin, approached and said that I could not get in that line. When I asked why she stated that people in other lines had been waiting longer than I had. I told her that it was evident that people were waiting longer than I as they were AHEAD of me in line. I moved along to the next open line, and Robin again came up behind me and said I couldn’t use that line either. She then pulled two people from a third line and placed them in the line ahead of me. I asked to see a manager, and she said she would get one. Robin then proceeded to excuse the cashier and take her place in the line. I waited several minutes then again asked for a manager.

By now I was extremely upset. Robin laughed at me and continued ringing up groceries. It was evident that had Robin left the lines alone, the two displaced customers would have been through the line faster and out the door sooner. I had to demand a manager at least 15 more times before Robin stated that she wasn’t going to hold the line up while I spoke to a manager. Ratchet up my anger another 20% and now I’m yelling mad. Finally after nearly 10 minutes Robin leaves the register to get the manager. A young man named Bruce comes out and proceeds to tell me that I am in the wrong. He claims that he heard the entire thing.

Now I’m beyond livid. I told him that as a manager, if he heard the entire thing, why did he not come out and address the problem until Robin finally entered his office. He had no explanation. He then accused me of name calling the cashier when I complained about her cavalier attitude! He told me this line shuffling is a common practice and always happens. I have never seen customers pulled from one line to be placed in another line of equal length. It wasn’t a new line opening, it was an already open line with a long wait. I demanded his bosses name as well as the Corporate office number. He claimed not to know the number but did write down his own name on a slip of paper. I immediately looked up the Corporate office number on my phone and called. A complaint has been registered and I am awaiting a return call from the District Manager.

I have been a long time Meijer customer, shopping at this store for over 10 years. I am so disappointed in this circumstance that I may never shop at Meijer again, and certainly will not shop in the Shelby Township store ever again. I will tell all my friends and family of this experience. I do not know what the District Manager will have to say to me, when and if they do call me back, however whatever it is, will not mitigate the circumstances and I don’t see how they will convince me to return to their store. It’s a shame that one irresponsible and rude cashier and inexperienced manager can cause a loss of revenue and leave such a distasteful opinion in the mind of a longtime customer. Wal-Mart- you’ve now got my business. Goodbye Meijer.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

What has happened to the shelf items in stores. We shop two Stores. Thomas Township and Alma. Stores do not even stock same items in each store. You cannot find Egglands Best in 18 packs in Thomas Township. I could not even find English muffins in the dairy case, none there and Thomas never carries Whole Grain, no Lawry's Seasoned Salt of any size, no Jennie-O breakfast tube sausage and on and on. Shelves empty in many aisles. Same situation in Alma many times, but the available selection is much better.

I did get a cottage cheese that was at best 3/4 full. I worked for Kroger for 3 years as a young man and the shelves had the same items refilled consistently. When you came into the store you knew where to go or where your items were and they were filled. Look at your rating. 3 out 5. You.need help. Great programs on discounts and coupons but still only 3 of 5. Ask yourself why. Send an inspector to the stores and look at shelves. You need help. You are in serious trouble with your base.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Always the Good Deals are NOT IN STOCK. Every time I go to Meijer Even EARLY 1st day of Ad we Cannot Buy Something. IT's not in stock. We Always hear, "Sorry". IT'S CRAZY. 1ST DAY OF THEIR AD AND 8 OR 9 AM AND THEY'RE OUT OF STOCK. Myself and Others BELIEVE THEY DO IT ON PURPOSE. Think about it. On a good deals they're out. Ok on bagging. We bought 4 jars of spaghetti. Sauce. They Double Bagged. Put in 2 big jars and 1 bag. Lifted bag out of shopping cart to put in car. Guess What happened. Yep. Bag broke. 2 big jars broke and glass and sauce behind car. So mad. They did replace jars after we yelled at the cashier.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I was unable to wash my hands in the ladies restroom due to no soap in dispensers. After, reporting to the greeter right inside the store, which she informed the CD representatives. The employees at the desk states that they were aware of the issue, "there was no one working at the time that knew how to fix the issue”. I informed them that I was notifying the local health department and Meijer’s Corporate Office. In which I did.

Meijer’s corp. Office directed me back to the store’s manager. He stated that to me that the service reps often ignored this type of complaint. He also stated that there is a night crew that takes of this issue. My question is why only the night more crew. Every employee should know how to put soap in the dispensers. The manager also let me know he had only been at this store for a week. That he would take care of the matter. Yet, he knew of this problem and didn't do any immediate actions on the employees at the front desk. The Meijer’s store that I was at on Monday Nov. 27, 2017; located on Dixie Hwy, Louisville, Ky.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

There was a time when I would have rated Meijer 5 stars, no questions! But lately, almost every time I shop, I find that there is something else I normally buy that they have quit carrying, and I'm not liking having to shop two places to get the items I need. What's going on??? I've never liked shopping at Walmart, but it's looking better and better.

Meijer Company Information