Meijer

Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have been using Meijer pharmacy for 5 or 6 years now, But the last 6 months have been horrible. Today was the worst, I had placed a prescription refill and had called in the wrong numbers on a box. They said I had no refills and I knew this was wrong because I had just had it filled. So I checked the box and realized my mistake and called back immediately. Telling the pharmacist the right prescription and he reassured me it was fixed. Today when I went to pick up my order they told me it wasn't in their computer the ** I use. For my diabetes. They said I had to call my doctor to refill. I called the Dr. and they said the pharmacy should look it up because it was sent in on Oct. 28 with 4 refills.

I went to the front desk to tell them and the girl said ** was called in on Oct. 28 which was a lie because I haven't used ** for a while now. I came home and checked and I had got the ** on Oct. 28 so I called back and said I had proof that it was **. They said the Dr. still had to call. I told them like I did when I was in store the Dr. said to call them if there was a problem. Have to tell you I am fed up. They have screwed up my last 6 prescriptions like saying part of an order wasn't there and 20 mins. later on my way home they call and say it's ready etc. I am disabled and this is becoming inconvenient for me. I am also diabetic and luckily I have some insulin left or I would have some trouble without it especially as it is a holiday. I'm beginning to think I need to shop another store and use another pharmacy.

I am very well aware that Meijer employees do not stock soda in any of their stores. However, keeping/ordering enough product and keeping it in their stores, is their job per se. In the three years that I have lived in this area, the 7-up distributor is the most laziest people I have ever seen. And the Florence store is losing so much money because they will not order enough to keep the shelves filled. Even on the opening day of an ad. Calls to Grand Rapids, 7-up & the distributor has fallen on deaf ears.

Before the Meijer on S Penn, Lansing, Mi got rebuilt they had more. For the last 1 1/2 I put up with constant harassing/bullying by a greeter named Sue - berating me about not taking the Amigo out during the shift I shopped - 11pm - 2am usually. I spoke to a supervisor, but it went on. Another supervisor saw Sue and I having disagreeing words one time and just ignored the situation. I wrote a letter but never mailed to corporate. Now for the last 8mos or so this one ** chick on that same shift who oversees helping (only those she likes, I guess) with the automated checkout. I had chatted with her about faith and God one night & she just quit talking to me, looked like she was straightening up a shelf, and has ignored me, called others to fill in for her spot when I get up to the checkout, or done many other bizarre things - hiding from me, won't speak to me even when I speak & have tried to be friendly.

One night I had a guy in pets take up to front a darling piece of cat furniture that was $12.50 - a steal. They all know me. They all know I sacrifice to live with many rescued cats and that it's hard to make ends meet at times. Well, I forgot the furniture, went home & remembered it in bed. Silly me, thinking they would save it, put my name on it or have run out the door to catch me because I forgot it. Oh, NO! The one I call "hidey girl" suggested to other co-worker to buy it, so when I left, that's what she did - knowing I wanted it! How low can you go??

Today I spoke to store manager - after already writing a detailed letter to corporate and getting zippo response. The store manager made excuses, stuck up for the employee Sue and this other clown who is so rude and evil. She put me down for calling her names, though never said "I'm sorry." or anything vaguely kind or consoling. Said she would talk to the wench - which is what I called her on the phone conversation. The message I had left on the survey I said worse and know that was wrong - but gee, after 1 1/2 yrs of abuse by one employee and now another 8mos or so abuse by another - I have had it. She said she'd talk to her. WOW! I should have gotten a free $500 gift card for all they have put me through. I worked in customer service for 26 yrs, which I gladly told her, and never treated anyone poorly and would not have dreamed of treating anyone the ways I have been treated by these 2 poor excuses for employees.

There are hundreds of people out there who really need jobs, who are great with people; and they hire clowns like these. There are many really good employees at this store, but one bad apple more than spoils the whole barrel; when you feel like trash beneath their feet, every time you walk into the store. I am going to start shopping elsewhere for my food and staples; may have to continue with pet purchases here due to some of the lower prices; but I'll see what I can do about that too. It's just not worth being treated like crap!!

I had purchased a bottle of alcohol in Ann Arbor but was heading to friends across the state. The clerk in Ann Arbor forgot to take the security cap off. No problem, I'll just stop in Jackson and have them remove it, right? WRONG. I didn't have my receipt so when I showed up at the customer "service" desk they all but accused me of stealing it. They would not remove the security top. I was upset because I had paid Meijer my money but now the manager was rude, escalating, obnoxious. She said that there were no transactions under my debit card.

However, I found today that they have to do manual checking if the transaction is within 24 hrs. She (Janet) failed to do this (lazy). When she said she was going to check further she went and got another manager and security and threw me out! I have the receipt in hand and am going to take this up with Corporate. I will do everything I can to never give Meijer another penny from my pocket! There are too many other good stores with great customer service to put up with this kind of appalling behavior.

I am so tired of standing in line for 20-30 minutes when I check out. That does not even include the cashier ringing up my groceries! I spend half of my time shopping and half in line! I can't stand how long it takes to go grocery shopping! AND, guaranteed, every time I go, there is something out of stock that I need which means I have to go back again, which I dread, and sometimes it's still out of stock!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Meijer?

To anyone at Meijer who cares about how their employees interact with customers: I've been a loyal customer at your Kalamazoo & 28th st. location since I was a child and today (5:20 pm) I had a very bad experience with one of your not so friendly employees. While in line checking out, an employee approached my 3-year-old daughter and aggressively shouted at my daughter to move out of her way so she could get through our lane. There was no emergency and no need for her to be so aggressive towards a little child. When I asked the employee to speak to my child differently and that she should probably speak to others a little kinder she, became upset and told me that how she spoke to us was fine. I then told her that I would have to talk to a manager about this to which she sarcastically challenged me to report her and that it wouldn't matter if I did.

Soon after, a manager (Caleb) approached me and told me that The Employee in question was not normally rude to people and that It wasn't a big deal. Unfortunately, this is not the case. I have witnessed this employee many other times being rude to her coworkers as well and other customers. The altercation I had with her was the last straw and the issue needs to be addressed. I shop all over this town and I have never had an issue like this. She is doing a major disservice to your brand. If You are in need of good examples of how your staff should treat paying customers, go down 28th street to Trader Joe's Grand Rapids to see how it's done! Please let me know what measures you will be taking to address this issue! Thank you! FYI: I am pretty certain that the employee's name is Sarah (Large ** woman in her late 30s).

I purchase two money orders from the store and tried to cash them and was told that I couldn't cash them because they would be losing money. Well Help, what about me? I'm now out of $125.00 not including the cost to purchase them. I receive a phone call from the manager to bring them back in and when I did the manager was so disrespectful. I just walked away. I spend every month around $1,000.00 in that store on money orders. Not any more. Even if I have to drive several miles to Walmart. They will now receive all my business. I even told a few of my friends about the event and they have promised me that they too will stop shopping there as well. So if you're reading this, please give your business to other places like Walmart or Harding.

I'm really tired of going to this Meijer and finding that they don't have the things they advertised for the week! This time, they advertise caramel apples (the first time for the season), and sure enough, when we go in, there are NONE! We asked the employees if it were possible that they had more in the back but were told they just don't have any because they ran out! This store is infamous for NOT being stocked or "running out" of things! If I go to another Meijer, I don't have the same problems so why this meijer? So many of the employees at this location are lazy too! There is a woman that works at the deli that will see people waiting for her and she makes them call her out because, otherwise, she will blatantly ignore them! Very unprofessional!

I have been shopping at the stores in Madison Hghts., Mi and Warren, Michigan. The shelves are poorly stocked, especially with items on sale in all departments. They offer no rain checks, and I'm told from employees that they aren't hiring enough people to stock and those that are stocking are overloaded. The check-outs have long waits and the self serve also have long lines. The self serve registers don't work properly. Especially the coupon slot doesn't properly retrieve the coupon. Every time you try to submit a coupon you have to blow on it or try to shove it through.

The people monitoring the self check out are also understaffed and constantly having to intercede with assistance. Common items that vary from milk to meat to canned and boxed items aren't on the shelves and I have to go to other stores. They make sure they're own brand is accessible in lieu of name brands. They're understaffed, under-stocked, overcharge on sale items, and put price tags under items that aren't the price on the tag. I've been complaining for years. I just keep hearing they're getting or have new management.

My husband went to the pharmacy on 16 Van Dyke in Sterling Heights, MI. Was told it would only be 30 min but it took 1 hour. While he was waiting he notice that nothing was getting done. But, he waited then 30 was up and his medication was not filled because the pharmacist was too busy giving a flu shot to a woman who came after him. When it was an hour that he finally got his meds he complained to the pharmacist **. He stated, "If you don't like it here to go shop somewhere else." My husband said he will talk to corporate headquarters. Let them know how they treat the customers there and that they changed the rules every month about when you can get your meds filled and that it's first come first service which is not true. We have been coming to this store for over 20 years and this is how we get treated being loyal customers. I hope things get resolved.

The Meijer store in West Lafayette, IN has finally ticked me off to the point of no return. Two weeks ago, I was there 4 times looking for an advertised produce item. It never was in stock. Last week, again an advertised produce item was not in stock, but I picked up a few other items. When I got to one of only 2 open checkouts, it was 5:37 pm. There were 2 customers between me and the person being checked out. Not a great situation, but OK I thought. According to my receipt, it was a full 15 minutes before I was done. 15 minutes to check out is inexcusable. 5:30 - 6 pm would typically be a busy time of day and the store should be prepared. This store never has an adequate number of open lanes. The self checkouts are always backed up too. My time is valuable, Meijer. I will no longer be stopping by on a daily basis - on the off chance you'll have your sale items stocked. I will no longer be held hostage in your checkout lane. I am done.

I found a pair of Sketchers shoes that I wished to purchase. The shoes were on an end cap with several other pairs of Sketchers. Above the end cap was a sign stating additional 25% will be taken at the register. There was no additional amount taken at the register. The cashier was very rude and told me that Sketchers were never on sale. I told cashier that I wanted to speak with a manager and would pay for my items so that it would not inconvenience the customers behind me. After I paid for my items the call for a manager still was not made. Finally a manager came and I took him to the area where I found the shoes I wanted to purchase. He called another person and told me "No that sign is only for the clearance items." The sign does not say that and there were multiple boxes of shoes that were not marked clearance. I was under the impression that stores must sell for advertised price. I have attached a photo of the sign and the shelves.

I had bought a hair straightener for my daughter, at the Meijer store on Warren ave in Westland, MI on July 8th 2016. Her birthday was the next day, on the 9th. But she told me that she didn't want/need that kind of hair straightener. So I planned to return it and get her another gift. On July 10th, I go to the store, receipt in hand with the unopened hair straightener. I am there with my granddaughter,( 16 mos.) pushing her in a stroller. In the bottom of the stroller, is a little storage compartment and the hair straightener that I was going to return was in there. The front desk line was long so I decided to look around the Health and Beauty aids department, which was right next to the customer service desk. I was about to go return to the customer service desk but the line was still long and the baby was getting fussy.

Since I live very near to the store, I decided to come back the next day alone, to return the straightener. Just as I was about to leave, two security guards stopped me, saying something about seeing me put a hair straightener in my stroller. I told them that I was there to return the straightener and showed them the receipt. They took me into this little back room and looked through the stroller and in my wallet. I wanted to fight these accusations, but the rude, Loss Prevention **, who was searching through my things, said something about how I could explain it to the police and get arrested. I had a baby with me, I didn't know if anyone could pick her up, what was I going to do?

I kept saying that I bought the item and was there to return it. I showed her the receipt but she said that the receipt must be for something else. I wanted to see the camera that they videotaped me with, that showed me stealing. But she said she couldn't. Then she took my straightener!! That was my property! I left an email with the corporate office, talked to a police officer and a lawyer about the matter and spoke to two different store directors, who said that they'd look into the matter. I went back today, (7/11/2016) and talked to another store manager, who said that the camera clearly shows me putting the straightener into the stroller. I explained that I pulled the hair straightener out of the stroller to get it ready to return, but put it back in the stroller after seeing the line, at the customer service desk. I asked to see the video tape that saw me do this. He said "no" and that I should've been banned from the store.

I showed him the receipt, but apparently, showing the proof of buying an item, that I was accused of stealing, meant nothing. Then he made this remark about why am I going through this about a $ 10 hair straightener. First of all they took my property!! Who's stealing now? I got treated like a two-bit criminal and it's just the principle of the matter. I am just so disappointed in Meijer. I have been a life-long shopper and can't believe that this happened. Why would I steal an item that I already paid for and why would I do something to jeopardize my (formerly) good standing with the store? I get an RX from the pharmacy in the store every month.

I liked all of the employees in the store and got along with everyone. If I DID, in fact, steal something, why can't I see proof of this? Criminal suspects have more rights and are treated with more respect than I was/am. At least they get to review the evidence against them. They don't have to be subject to an illegal search and seizure or false imprisonment. Will I ever get my hair straightener back? Can't I at least get my credit card refunded for the charge? Maybe once or twice a month, I'll go into your store to shop. But for now, I'll be going to Kroger or Walmart.

Simple stop for a few groceries turns into a marathon. Need charcoal? Instead of picking up a bag at the front of the store (as is traditional with most grocery stores), we had to ask two employees where charcoal was. After 2nd try, we found it in the far back corner of the store. Need shampoo? Try the far front corner... This is a very difficult store to shop unless you happen to need a blender and a new dress while you grab a gallon of milk. Never wasting my time there again.

The clerk was very friendly. I believe that the workers are not trained correctly at mailing stuff. I had a letter mailed out first-class parcel with tracking. It was done on 6/9/16 and was expected delivery day 6/13/16 and as of 6/24/16 it was still not delivered. Now I have to pay a late fee on my home mortgage and it is reflected on my credit report. I went to the post office in my town to see if they could help me and was told that the way Meijer's did this is wrong. Letters must go with a green and white sticker that requires a signature or first-class window front envelope in order for tracking. I believe that the company should make sure the persons running the mail department should be trained by the post office officials so they are doing it to the same standards of the United States Post Office, so no one else goes through this. The United States Post Office that I went to is investigating this.

I went to Meijer's to get My daughter's prescription. I hand the man the prescription and he said this is not one of the free prescription. I say "Ok" because I didn't expect it to be free but he continues to just stand there. I have my insurance ready than he says "Does she have insurance?" "Yes she does!" I give my insurance card and he says "25 min I come back". At least 35 min later because I am shopping it not ready so me and my son sit down to wait.

Yesterday I went shopping at Meijer on Carpenters road. I have a bridge card and have used it all the time at Meijer with zero problems. This time, I entered my account numbers and the cashier (Valerie) said it was invalid. I knew this wasn't true because I checked my balance before I went to Meijer and it was up to date. I entered the numbers again. The cashier tells me with no concern, it says it's invalid. So she calls a supervisor to her lane. The Supervisor tries to enter the numbers herself. She looks at me and tells me it's invalid. She had no interest in helping me solve this problem. I am not normally assertive, so I look at my packed groceries and said, I guess I'll have to pay by debit card.

I have a little money in my card for bills and gas for my car. I am going to school and working. I do qualify for a bridge card. My complaint is, neither one of these employees tried to help me or told me they were sorry for the inconvenience. I was embarrassed and angry. When I got home, I called the bridge card customer service and they said I do have a valid card with money on it. She also said, Meijer should of tried to see if there was something wrong with the card machine. Customer service should be at the highest interest of the customer. I know somehow they could of resolved this situation. Instead they just looked at me like I was a liar and a thief.

I am so done with this pharmacy. They are always rude and no one takes customer service into consideration any more. I took my little girl there today to get her prescription for strep throat and I was met with just plain rudeness. Never again!

Waiting for someone to wait on me with numerous staff members visible. Not waiting on customers does not make for a pleasant experience. My favorite is cash back, for instance $5 off if I spend $50, or money off product or meats.

We prefer their Great Value brand ice cream, sugarless popsicles, toilet paper, paper towels. My husband buys their oil and a car and truck products. Concerning Meijer, they have a 'greeter'. Most of the time, they do not greet. They are looking the other way, talking to another employee, or they have looked right at me and said nothing. There are a couple of exceptions who, even if talking to someone else, will still stop to say, "Welcome to Meijer" or say something to us when we are leaving the store.

Bugs me when we come to do our shopping and only have a couple (or none) of certain vegetables and fruits. Even certain canned goods (this one not too often) but was limited on that too. The Lapeer store seems frequently to have either broken stall locks in the woman's bathroom and it takes 'forever' to get fixed and even when fixed is broken again the next week. Plus their entrance doors are the same.

The Meijer brand calming baby powder gave my 10 month old chemical burns all over his behind. I would strongly urge this product be removed. Meijer won't even acknowledge the problem.

I called my prescription in to be filled. This situation happens every month and I'm tired of it. I have a coupon where I can get the name brand for 5 dollars. Otherwise the generic is over 200.00. Every month they try to fill it with the generic even though I tell them make a note on this medication. So I run out and have to wait another 3 or 4 days to get it. This medication is ability. Very important to have for mental stability. Nothing is ever offered to rectify the situation. I can't even get a hold of a manager to help with the problem. Do you all not care? Why is there not a customer care rep in Muncie Meijer?

I went into the Meijer today and AS ALWAYS it was not a pleasant experience. I have complained to the corporate office but nothing ever changes. The only reason I go there is because of the produce department which is usually fresh and has great presentation. Today I walk in the front door and went to get a small shopping cart... NOT one in the building. I looked around and two young men are leaning against the motorized carts chatting. I walked over and said "Could you please let someone know there are no small carts inside?" One young man (not wearing a yellow vest) looked at the young man next to him (wearing a yellow vest) and said, "That's you."

I walked away and got a large shopping cart and went to the deli to take my number. Wait was not bad and a clerk by the name of Diane waits on me. First of all she cannot hear... She ask me more than one time how much of each item I wanted. (I purchased 3 items and one was pre-sliced in the deli case.) It took me 24 minutes to get a pound of cheese sliced and a quarter pound of salami. She never said thank you or sorry for the wait. I think she was tired of slicing! Glad I didn't need 4 items. STORE MANAGER... never expect to see one. I have seen a man walking around in a suit once. He looked miserable. No one ever on the front end talking with customers or asking about the shopping experience. My suggestion to this Meijer would be to shut down the deli. I have complained more than once and nothing changes. If it weren't there, customers wouldn't get angry.

$2000.00 stolen from my credit card one month after I visited a Meijer in Indiana. Purchases were for 2 gift cards and someone signed for the purchase. I had visited a Meijer while on vacation for only a few days when I made one purchase. In that one time, someone stole my information. Meijer refuses to respond to me and I still don't have my money back. Visited in August 2015 and money was stolen from my card in September 2015. This is a lot of money to be stolen and Meijer clearly doesn't care about their customers. I wouldn't recommend ANYONE using their credit cards at this store, or even shopping at this store in general. Rude customer service and Meijer clearly isn't a professional company. They do not care if someone steals your credit card information from their store. Don't expect to get your money back.

When ordering a prescription at 3pm on Tuesday I called at 4pm and after being on hold for 25 minutes, they told me at first they did not have the order then said they did, but it wouldn't be ready until today at 2. I called today and they said it would be ready in 1/2 hour. I went later and after waiting in line for 30 min they gave be the script without using my insurance. I gave them the card and they said it was too soon because the script was already filled someplace else. I called the Dr. Office and they said it had been called in there. I have NEVER had so much trouble filling a script anywhere else! And I will never have a script called in again. It was at Portage rd. In South Bend, In.

I get my prescriptions there every month and they are just the nastiest pharmacist I've ever had. Very rude and just all out terrible service. This is at Meijer on alpine and Meijer on Plainfield Meijer Pharmacy. I have talked to a supervisor with no avail. It just gets worse and worse.

I've gone shopping at three different Meijers - the Rolling Meadows store, Algoquin store and Elgin store. I've never have any problems. Store wide from pharmacy to grocery. Excellent customer service and good prices. I love their store!

I've shopped at Meijer in Royal Oak for most of my life. The prices are less than other groceries. The deli counter is very slow. Over a 15 min wait almost every time. Even with only 1 customer ahead of me. I recently moved to Franklin, very close to the Southfield, MI Meijer. If possible, their deli is even slower! But at least when they greet you they say "sorry about your wait, how may I help you?" As that is their standard greeting, I suspect I'm not the only customer that has been upset about the wait. Why not just train your employees how to move?

I purchased a pocket calendar, like I do every year, of the same size and design as usual. The price was $4.99. When it scanned at the checkout it was $9.99. I went to the Service Desk and they couldn't find the item. I had to walk back to the rack I got it from and wait several minutes for an associate to come and confirm my assertion of the price. When she got there she said "Yes, that is the price," ($4.99). I went back to the Service Desk to get the correct price plus the legally required bonus of 10 times the difference wrongly charged. The clerk only gave me the difference and insisted that the error was not a scanner error but a human error in the rack pricing. When I told her that I would go to the State she said "Go ahead".

This is nonsense. The item retails for 4 to 5 dollars everywhere. There were larger spiral bound calendars for desk and purse on the same rack for $9.99. My pocket calendar was not one of those! I have contacted the authorities that monitor the activity and the next step is a lawyer. I know it's only $5.00 but if it goes to court then it becomes a civil suit for $250 plus $300 in attorney’s fees. I'm not looking to take the store but they are required to meet certain standards. All it would have taken to satisfy me was that they refund the difference plus the bonus.

I have a four year old Yorkipoo that immediately developed pancreatitis after consuming the treat. First treat out of a new bag. Three months later, she's over the pancreatitis but has a rare heart condition correlated to salmonella from this (now recalled) treat. Her life has been shortened by this treat and her ongoing care is expensive. I'm thankful she survived even with a life of limitations now.

Meijer Company Profile