Meijer

Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

For the last two years or so Meijer in Mason, Michigan has continued to decline. If an item is advertised on sale, it is rare to find it on the shelves. Poor planning, lack of managerial skills, and just plain lousy customer service about sum the store up. If you can't find what you are looking for the answer is almost always the same, (providing you can find a human to ask), "We don't have any control over what the computer orders." Then I say "change the way your system works!" This is akin to the old bait and switch routine. Last week and this one were no exceptions. What was advertised was not on the shelves. Also things that have been carried in the past can't be found. Why? Because no one is paying attention.

The few people wandering around the store that will talk to you are often rude and do not wish to be bothered. I have asked some of them to check and see if the item in question is not unpacked and could they please check to see if it is available. Most of them walk away and never return. I will call corporate again on Monday, though it seems to do little good. I couldn't even do the survey because there was no secure code on my receipt. The manager of the store said he couldn't do anything to help me. No more than expected from Meijer in Mason Michigan.

I have seen so many Meijer that are not taking care of their fish. This is animal abuse and it's not right. The lady at the store in Sterling Heights told me they weren't sick, just napping. This is pure stupidity. She told me people also purposely pour things in their tank. The managers have given me over 200.00 dollars worth in free fish just to save them. Tell me how that is profitable for you? Why have fish and spend money on water and supplies and electricity just to have them die and lose money?

Clearly this is a poor business choice and if you were smart you would just use the space to sell something that is not living and being treated badly. This is sick to see and I am contacting my local news station to see if they will do a story on it. Walmart and Kroger don't sell fish anymore. Why the heck are you still doing it? Dumb. I go to Walmart and Kroger from now on. Not only do you lose money on fish but also thousands of dollars from me every year that I will take to Walmart or Kroger now.

They carry a reasonable variety & when we needed to try other flavors of the Nutrish dog food we found he liked the turkey & Meijers was the only close store that carried it. In addition we frequently get coupons from Meijers for Nutrish. As far as employee knowledge & customer service with pet products I have never found an employee in this section. Meijers carries the flavor of Nutrish our dog prefers.

The Meijer store I use most is one of the new smaller style stores. I like the way it's laid out and also the fact that other Meijer stores of the same style are laid out the same. The one thing about the smaller stores though is they don't carry quite the inventory as the bigger Meijer stores or the Super Centers. That isn't a huge issue as there is another bigger Meijer about seven miles farther down the road. My Meijer has excellent customer service and I would recommend it to anyone.

You can trust Meijer's cashiers to not charge you twice for any given product, unlike another chain supermarket. They offer enough of sales competition in order to warrant changing stores, if you are thinking of doing so. The store is a clean, well organized and up to date with the products they sell. The associates are always friendly and competent.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Meijer?

I went to get my money from store location Lexington ZIP code 40503. It was transfer through Western Union and the guy in the customer service he do not have experience and when he try to give my money he do not have big bill and the amount was $1865.20. He gave me a lot $20 and a lot 10 and 5 and 1 so when I was tell him "Why you did not tell me that you do not have big bill?" He said "That what I have," and the big problem he put all this change money in the top of the front counter and there is 15 customer behind me watching who he ACCOUNT this amount, then his boss come I was ask him this is not right way to give all this amount change and put all this money in the top of the front counter. He said "that what we have," so I recommend do transfer money through this store. To give me this money it's take more than 30 minutes. IT'S NOT SAFE.

Store recently remodeled. Great year around selection of veggies & herbs. Wide variety of product & brand selection especially for the (rare) home cook. Prices are pretty competitive across most items.

Meijer is a family run corporation. They value their employees, the store is clean and they are wonderful corporate citizens in the Grand Rapids area. I am so happy that they are opening a store in Escanaba, MI! Though I live in Arbor Vitae, WI, I have home connections with folks in MI and lived in Grand Rapids for many years and know of Meijers.

Week before Xmas 9:00 in the morning 5 cashiers open with each having at least 5 to 6 people with full baskets in each line waiting to check out. Now across the street Costco has every cash register open with customer happy faces, but back at Meijer's 20 to 30 minute lines, not many happy faces!! Same day 12/12/16 store crowded with people and stock people all over with their carts. What too expensive to stock at night or have extra cashiers on Holidays. I asked the cashier about this and she said the Manager doesn't care. They give their advice and nothing happens. Krogers is a lot closer to me then Meijer's so what's a couple of bucks more for better service. GOOD MANAGERS NEEDED.

I ordered 4 deli trays and when I went to pick them up they only had two of them and wanted to argue with me that I had ordered 4. I ordered them online and had the confirmation for the 4 trays on my phone. They were still argumentative and told me they could do nothing. I asked them if they could make 2 more trays but they stated they could not. There were two employees there and one of them started laughing about it because I was upset. I needed the trays for Christmas lunch at 11. Amanda I was picking up the trays at 7 am and they could not make the trays in order for me to have them at 11? It was clearly their mistake. I asked for a Manager and the female employee just wanted to argue with me. I will never shop at the Carmel Indiana Meijer again. I have never been treated that rudely. I spend over $300 per week on average and they have lost my business.

I typically shop at the Meijer located on 26 Mile Road and Van Dyke which is located in Washington Township Michigan. The store is always clean for the most part and the employees are friendly and courteous. I work afternoon so all my shopping begins at midnight which is fine because I avoid all the big crowds. This store has a good selection of items. It's a store located in a smaller town so they actually have a good amount of items, considering its location. They have pretty good sales on a fairly regular basis. Though I've noticed that the sales aren't as good anymore no matter where you go nor do they occur as often. Such as life I suppose. Anyway, all in all I'm satisfied with the store. I'm also grateful that it's open 24 hours due to the hours I work along with my very busy and hectic personal life. I give 4 out 5 stars.

Meijer's web page might as well be non-existent. Every time I get on it to try and see if they have what I want, it's a complete farce. Most of the time it's down! So then I drive there and they don't have it. It's like they only have stuff nobody wants. One time I had to get a vent hose for my dryer, so I go to Meijer's. I go to where the hardware department and find all the hardware for washers and dryers, but no vent hoses. I go to the non-service desk and after spending the night there, they tell me they are in the automotive department by the car batteries. I go there, thinking there is no way they could be there, but there they were. So now I advise everybody to keep a dryer vent hose in their car's trunk in case of an accident. I think I'm just going to stick with Walmart from now on. Unless, of course, I need a good laugh. Why do they have all those checkout counters and only a half dozen people working them? I have never understood that!

I have been using Meijer pharmacy for 5 or 6 years now, But the last 6 months have been horrible. Today was the worst, I had placed a prescription refill and had called in the wrong numbers on a box. They said I had no refills and I knew this was wrong because I had just had it filled. So I checked the box and realized my mistake and called back immediately. Telling the pharmacist the right prescription and he reassured me it was fixed. Today when I went to pick up my order they told me it wasn't in their computer the ** I use. For my diabetes. They said I had to call my doctor to refill. I called the Dr. and they said the pharmacy should look it up because it was sent in on Oct. 28 with 4 refills.

I went to the front desk to tell them and the girl said ** was called in on Oct. 28 which was a lie because I haven't used ** for a while now. I came home and checked and I had got the ** on Oct. 28 so I called back and said I had proof that it was **. They said the Dr. still had to call. I told them like I did when I was in store the Dr. said to call them if there was a problem. Have to tell you I am fed up. They have screwed up my last 6 prescriptions like saying part of an order wasn't there and 20 mins. later on my way home they call and say it's ready etc. I am disabled and this is becoming inconvenient for me. I am also diabetic and luckily I have some insulin left or I would have some trouble without it especially as it is a holiday. I'm beginning to think I need to shop another store and use another pharmacy.

I am very well aware that Meijer employees do not stock soda in any of their stores. However, keeping/ordering enough product and keeping it in their stores, is their job per se. In the three years that I have lived in this area, the 7-up distributor is the most laziest people I have ever seen. And the Florence store is losing so much money because they will not order enough to keep the shelves filled. Even on the opening day of an ad. Calls to Grand Rapids, 7-up & the distributor has fallen on deaf ears.

Before the Meijer on S Penn, Lansing, Mi got rebuilt they had more. For the last 1 1/2 I put up with constant harassing/bullying by a greeter named Sue - berating me about not taking the Amigo out during the shift I shopped - 11pm - 2am usually. I spoke to a supervisor, but it went on. Another supervisor saw Sue and I having disagreeing words one time and just ignored the situation. I wrote a letter but never mailed to corporate. Now for the last 8mos or so this one ** chick on that same shift who oversees helping (only those she likes, I guess) with the automated checkout. I had chatted with her about faith and God one night & she just quit talking to me, looked like she was straightening up a shelf, and has ignored me, called others to fill in for her spot when I get up to the checkout, or done many other bizarre things - hiding from me, won't speak to me even when I speak & have tried to be friendly.

One night I had a guy in pets take up to front a darling piece of cat furniture that was $12.50 - a steal. They all know me. They all know I sacrifice to live with many rescued cats and that it's hard to make ends meet at times. Well, I forgot the furniture, went home & remembered it in bed. Silly me, thinking they would save it, put my name on it or have run out the door to catch me because I forgot it. Oh, NO! The one I call "hidey girl" suggested to other co-worker to buy it, so when I left, that's what she did - knowing I wanted it! How low can you go??

Today I spoke to store manager - after already writing a detailed letter to corporate and getting zippo response. The store manager made excuses, stuck up for the employee Sue and this other clown who is so rude and evil. She put me down for calling her names, though never said "I'm sorry." or anything vaguely kind or consoling. Said she would talk to the wench - which is what I called her on the phone conversation. The message I had left on the survey I said worse and know that was wrong - but gee, after 1 1/2 yrs of abuse by one employee and now another 8mos or so abuse by another - I have had it. She said she'd talk to her. WOW! I should have gotten a free $500 gift card for all they have put me through. I worked in customer service for 26 yrs, which I gladly told her, and never treated anyone poorly and would not have dreamed of treating anyone the ways I have been treated by these 2 poor excuses for employees.

There are hundreds of people out there who really need jobs, who are great with people; and they hire clowns like these. There are many really good employees at this store, but one bad apple more than spoils the whole barrel; when you feel like trash beneath their feet, every time you walk into the store. I am going to start shopping elsewhere for my food and staples; may have to continue with pet purchases here due to some of the lower prices; but I'll see what I can do about that too. It's just not worth being treated like crap!!

I had purchased a bottle of alcohol in Ann Arbor but was heading to friends across the state. The clerk in Ann Arbor forgot to take the security cap off. No problem, I'll just stop in Jackson and have them remove it, right? WRONG. I didn't have my receipt so when I showed up at the customer "service" desk they all but accused me of stealing it. They would not remove the security top. I was upset because I had paid Meijer my money but now the manager was rude, escalating, obnoxious. She said that there were no transactions under my debit card.

However, I found today that they have to do manual checking if the transaction is within 24 hrs. She (Janet) failed to do this (lazy). When she said she was going to check further she went and got another manager and security and threw me out! I have the receipt in hand and am going to take this up with Corporate. I will do everything I can to never give Meijer another penny from my pocket! There are too many other good stores with great customer service to put up with this kind of appalling behavior.

I am so tired of standing in line for 20-30 minutes when I check out. That does not even include the cashier ringing up my groceries! I spend half of my time shopping and half in line! I can't stand how long it takes to go grocery shopping! AND, guaranteed, every time I go, there is something out of stock that I need which means I have to go back again, which I dread, and sometimes it's still out of stock!

To anyone at Meijer who cares about how their employees interact with customers: I've been a loyal customer at your Kalamazoo & 28th st. location since I was a child and today (5:20 pm) I had a very bad experience with one of your not so friendly employees. While in line checking out, an employee approached my 3-year-old daughter and aggressively shouted at my daughter to move out of her way so she could get through our lane. There was no emergency and no need for her to be so aggressive towards a little child. When I asked the employee to speak to my child differently and that she should probably speak to others a little kinder she, became upset and told me that how she spoke to us was fine. I then told her that I would have to talk to a manager about this to which she sarcastically challenged me to report her and that it wouldn't matter if I did.

Soon after, a manager (Caleb) approached me and told me that The Employee in question was not normally rude to people and that It wasn't a big deal. Unfortunately, this is not the case. I have witnessed this employee many other times being rude to her coworkers as well and other customers. The altercation I had with her was the last straw and the issue needs to be addressed. I shop all over this town and I have never had an issue like this. She is doing a major disservice to your brand. If You are in need of good examples of how your staff should treat paying customers, go down 28th street to Trader Joe's Grand Rapids to see how it's done! Please let me know what measures you will be taking to address this issue! Thank you! FYI: I am pretty certain that the employee's name is Sarah (Large ** woman in her late 30s).

I purchase two money orders from the store and tried to cash them and was told that I couldn't cash them because they would be losing money. Well Help, what about me? I'm now out of $125.00 not including the cost to purchase them. I receive a phone call from the manager to bring them back in and when I did the manager was so disrespectful. I just walked away. I spend every month around $1,000.00 in that store on money orders. Not any more. Even if I have to drive several miles to Walmart. They will now receive all my business. I even told a few of my friends about the event and they have promised me that they too will stop shopping there as well. So if you're reading this, please give your business to other places like Walmart or Harding.

I'm really tired of going to this Meijer and finding that they don't have the things they advertised for the week! This time, they advertise caramel apples (the first time for the season), and sure enough, when we go in, there are NONE! We asked the employees if it were possible that they had more in the back but were told they just don't have any because they ran out! This store is infamous for NOT being stocked or "running out" of things! If I go to another Meijer, I don't have the same problems so why this meijer? So many of the employees at this location are lazy too! There is a woman that works at the deli that will see people waiting for her and she makes them call her out because, otherwise, she will blatantly ignore them! Very unprofessional!

I have been shopping at the stores in Madison Hghts., Mi and Warren, Michigan. The shelves are poorly stocked, especially with items on sale in all departments. They offer no rain checks, and I'm told from employees that they aren't hiring enough people to stock and those that are stocking are overloaded. The check-outs have long waits and the self serve also have long lines. The self serve registers don't work properly. Especially the coupon slot doesn't properly retrieve the coupon. Every time you try to submit a coupon you have to blow on it or try to shove it through.

The people monitoring the self check out are also understaffed and constantly having to intercede with assistance. Common items that vary from milk to meat to canned and boxed items aren't on the shelves and I have to go to other stores. They make sure they're own brand is accessible in lieu of name brands. They're understaffed, under-stocked, overcharge on sale items, and put price tags under items that aren't the price on the tag. I've been complaining for years. I just keep hearing they're getting or have new management.

My husband went to the pharmacy on 16 Van Dyke in Sterling Heights, MI. Was told it would only be 30 min but it took 1 hour. While he was waiting he notice that nothing was getting done. But, he waited then 30 was up and his medication was not filled because the pharmacist was too busy giving a flu shot to a woman who came after him. When it was an hour that he finally got his meds he complained to the pharmacist **. He stated, "If you don't like it here to go shop somewhere else." My husband said he will talk to corporate headquarters. Let them know how they treat the customers there and that they changed the rules every month about when you can get your meds filled and that it's first come first service which is not true. We have been coming to this store for over 20 years and this is how we get treated being loyal customers. I hope things get resolved.

The Meijer store in West Lafayette, IN has finally ticked me off to the point of no return. Two weeks ago, I was there 4 times looking for an advertised produce item. It never was in stock. Last week, again an advertised produce item was not in stock, but I picked up a few other items. When I got to one of only 2 open checkouts, it was 5:37 pm. There were 2 customers between me and the person being checked out. Not a great situation, but OK I thought. According to my receipt, it was a full 15 minutes before I was done. 15 minutes to check out is inexcusable. 5:30 - 6 pm would typically be a busy time of day and the store should be prepared. This store never has an adequate number of open lanes. The self checkouts are always backed up too. My time is valuable, Meijer. I will no longer be stopping by on a daily basis - on the off chance you'll have your sale items stocked. I will no longer be held hostage in your checkout lane. I am done.

I found a pair of Sketchers shoes that I wished to purchase. The shoes were on an end cap with several other pairs of Sketchers. Above the end cap was a sign stating additional 25% will be taken at the register. There was no additional amount taken at the register. The cashier was very rude and told me that Sketchers were never on sale. I told cashier that I wanted to speak with a manager and would pay for my items so that it would not inconvenience the customers behind me. After I paid for my items the call for a manager still was not made. Finally a manager came and I took him to the area where I found the shoes I wanted to purchase. He called another person and told me "No that sign is only for the clearance items." The sign does not say that and there were multiple boxes of shoes that were not marked clearance. I was under the impression that stores must sell for advertised price. I have attached a photo of the sign and the shelves.

I had bought a hair straightener for my daughter, at the Meijer store on Warren ave in Westland, MI on July 8th 2016. Her birthday was the next day, on the 9th. But she told me that she didn't want/need that kind of hair straightener. So I planned to return it and get her another gift. On July 10th, I go to the store, receipt in hand with the unopened hair straightener. I am there with my granddaughter,( 16 mos.) pushing her in a stroller. In the bottom of the stroller, is a little storage compartment and the hair straightener that I was going to return was in there. The front desk line was long so I decided to look around the Health and Beauty aids department, which was right next to the customer service desk. I was about to go return to the customer service desk but the line was still long and the baby was getting fussy.

Since I live very near to the store, I decided to come back the next day alone, to return the straightener. Just as I was about to leave, two security guards stopped me, saying something about seeing me put a hair straightener in my stroller. I told them that I was there to return the straightener and showed them the receipt. They took me into this little back room and looked through the stroller and in my wallet. I wanted to fight these accusations, but the rude, Loss Prevention **, who was searching through my things, said something about how I could explain it to the police and get arrested. I had a baby with me, I didn't know if anyone could pick her up, what was I going to do?

I kept saying that I bought the item and was there to return it. I showed her the receipt but she said that the receipt must be for something else. I wanted to see the camera that they videotaped me with, that showed me stealing. But she said she couldn't. Then she took my straightener!! That was my property! I left an email with the corporate office, talked to a police officer and a lawyer about the matter and spoke to two different store directors, who said that they'd look into the matter. I went back today, (7/11/2016) and talked to another store manager, who said that the camera clearly shows me putting the straightener into the stroller. I explained that I pulled the hair straightener out of the stroller to get it ready to return, but put it back in the stroller after seeing the line, at the customer service desk. I asked to see the video tape that saw me do this. He said "no" and that I should've been banned from the store.

I showed him the receipt, but apparently, showing the proof of buying an item, that I was accused of stealing, meant nothing. Then he made this remark about why am I going through this about a $ 10 hair straightener. First of all they took my property!! Who's stealing now? I got treated like a two-bit criminal and it's just the principle of the matter. I am just so disappointed in Meijer. I have been a life-long shopper and can't believe that this happened. Why would I steal an item that I already paid for and why would I do something to jeopardize my (formerly) good standing with the store? I get an RX from the pharmacy in the store every month.

I liked all of the employees in the store and got along with everyone. If I DID, in fact, steal something, why can't I see proof of this? Criminal suspects have more rights and are treated with more respect than I was/am. At least they get to review the evidence against them. They don't have to be subject to an illegal search and seizure or false imprisonment. Will I ever get my hair straightener back? Can't I at least get my credit card refunded for the charge? Maybe once or twice a month, I'll go into your store to shop. But for now, I'll be going to Kroger or Walmart.

Simple stop for a few groceries turns into a marathon. Need charcoal? Instead of picking up a bag at the front of the store (as is traditional with most grocery stores), we had to ask two employees where charcoal was. After 2nd try, we found it in the far back corner of the store. Need shampoo? Try the far front corner... This is a very difficult store to shop unless you happen to need a blender and a new dress while you grab a gallon of milk. Never wasting my time there again.

The clerk was very friendly. I believe that the workers are not trained correctly at mailing stuff. I had a letter mailed out first-class parcel with tracking. It was done on 6/9/16 and was expected delivery day 6/13/16 and as of 6/24/16 it was still not delivered. Now I have to pay a late fee on my home mortgage and it is reflected on my credit report. I went to the post office in my town to see if they could help me and was told that the way Meijer's did this is wrong. Letters must go with a green and white sticker that requires a signature or first-class window front envelope in order for tracking. I believe that the company should make sure the persons running the mail department should be trained by the post office officials so they are doing it to the same standards of the United States Post Office, so no one else goes through this. The United States Post Office that I went to is investigating this.

I went to Meijer's to get My daughter's prescription. I hand the man the prescription and he said this is not one of the free prescription. I say "Ok" because I didn't expect it to be free but he continues to just stand there. I have my insurance ready than he says "Does she have insurance?" "Yes she does!" I give my insurance card and he says "25 min I come back". At least 35 min later because I am shopping it not ready so me and my son sit down to wait.

Yesterday I went shopping at Meijer on Carpenters road. I have a bridge card and have used it all the time at Meijer with zero problems. This time, I entered my account numbers and the cashier (Valerie) said it was invalid. I knew this wasn't true because I checked my balance before I went to Meijer and it was up to date. I entered the numbers again. The cashier tells me with no concern, it says it's invalid. So she calls a supervisor to her lane. The Supervisor tries to enter the numbers herself. She looks at me and tells me it's invalid. She had no interest in helping me solve this problem. I am not normally assertive, so I look at my packed groceries and said, I guess I'll have to pay by debit card.

I have a little money in my card for bills and gas for my car. I am going to school and working. I do qualify for a bridge card. My complaint is, neither one of these employees tried to help me or told me they were sorry for the inconvenience. I was embarrassed and angry. When I got home, I called the bridge card customer service and they said I do have a valid card with money on it. She also said, Meijer should of tried to see if there was something wrong with the card machine. Customer service should be at the highest interest of the customer. I know somehow they could of resolved this situation. Instead they just looked at me like I was a liar and a thief.

I am so done with this pharmacy. They are always rude and no one takes customer service into consideration any more. I took my little girl there today to get her prescription for strep throat and I was met with just plain rudeness. Never again!

Meijer Company Profile