3.60/5

214 Meijer Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 25, 2019

People are always friendly and helpful with questions. Have never had to wait long in line. Doctor calls in, I pick up when shopping for groceries. No special trips. It doesn't get any easier than that.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I shop Meijer often. I like using the mPerks Meijer offers and the company sends coupons of items that I purchase often. Customer service throughout the store is slim to none. So it is sad that the Cashiers get the blunt of a pissed off customer because of the lack of help throughout the store sometimes seems like a ghost town.. Other than that the store is always clean. The produce is the best in any town you go to shop at. There certainly like shopping at a farmers market with fresh and ripe items and always priced responsibly affordable prices.

Get expert buying tips about Grocery Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 3, 2018

The Meijer store offers many products. Their prices are competitive. It is always clean. The employees are always cheerful and want to help. We enjoy shopping there.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I shopped at the Meijer in Lexington Ky at 2155 Paul Jones Way last evening. I have been shopping here for years but haven't been in 3 years because I moved out town and recently moved back. This store is a disgrace!!!! The store was dirty overall, especially the vegetable area. It needed to be mopped and it was just messy. The whole store was messy and dirty and not stocked at all. The clothing and shoe department have definitely gone downhill. I was very disappointed as it used to be an awesome place to shop. I will have to find somewhere else to do my shopping now as it was not a good experience.

Original review: April 25, 2019

The Meijer on E. Beltline and Knapp corner in Grand Rapids, MI. seems to be more concerned with waxing and polishing their floors than they are with selling products to people who need them. I work nights, and almost every time I visit that Meijer they have closed off most, (if not all) of the areas that I need to shop from. Meat, cheese, eggs, frozen foods, etc... All closed off! Waste of my time to drive there and try to shop.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Meijer?

Original review: March 26, 2019

I have shopped at Meijer in Auburn Hills, Michigan since it opened. Always have enjoyed the quality of products, attitude of staff and whole experience. Lately in the last year they now interrupt the store music with a recorded advertisement by an annoying woman's voice. The shopping experience is not what it used to be before they started this practice. Also, there are now fewer choices of some of the favorite products I could always get at Meijer. The quality has really gone down and sorry to see that because now I am shopping at different supermarkets. The decision makers are now making poor choices for the customers and certainly would like the old Meijer back.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I have 3 complaints about the Meijer in Lansing, MI (N. Penn), which may (are) actually be a company-wide issue, as well. They are constantly dropping items from their inventory that I KNOW are not being dropped because they don't sell. It really seems that every time I go there, there is at least SOMETHING that they no longer sell. Even if some of the items did NOT sell, they never even try to just reduce the inventory, they just completely stop selling it. They change recipes for things (like cottage cheese), when they decide to change the look of the packaging without any type of warning. I used to buy their store brand tubs of small curd cottage cheese (4% milkfat) because it was really good, but when they changed the look of the container it all of the sudden started tasting disgusting like most 'low-fat' products do and I purposely do NOT buy anything that says "low-fat", because it has a signature flavor that I cannot stand.

They rip you off. I used to buy 6 packs of soda that were 20oz bottles. Then they changed the 6 packs to 16oz bottles, without warning or even changing the price. NOW, they just did the same thing with the Pure Leaf Tea that I buy. 1st they just ripped you off by pretending you got a deal by buying 12 packs, instead of 6 packs - but in the 12 packs, the bottles were 16 oz bottles, while the 6 packs were 18oz bottles. The "bargain" was a lie. Today, I went there because they had a sale on the 6 packs, but when I got there, they had switched the 6 packs from 18oz bottles to 16oz bottles - while the weekly flier SPECIFICALLY said 6-18oz bottles.

That is false advertising, to say the least - but what pissed me off the most was the dishonest price label that says $5.99 (normal price) - when that was the normal price for 18oz bottles, before they pulled their sleight of hand. I am fed up with Meijer. It's bad enough the lines are insane at all times, because they never have enough checkout lines open - but to leave there EVERY TIME without things I went there for (often specifically for those items) AND to be ripped off, is the last straw. I wish they'd plant a Walmart right next door to Meijer. Let the best store win!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I recently went to Meijer and saw that their Valentine's Day items were 90% off. So I was going to pick up some Valentine's Day cards. They had a price on them of $3.00. After I bought them realized they didn't come up .30 cents but .90 cents. Even though it wasn't much of a difference I still asked them. The woman I spoke with Jean said if they ring up that way that's the price even after I physically showed her the original price on the box. She then had an attitude with me. She never gave them to me for that price.

I returned them. The same woman Jean (at the Springhurst Westport Rd location in Louisville Kentucky) argued with me about wet cat food. It was on the shelf as clearance. She raised her voice and told me she knew those were not on clearance because she buys these for her cat. Ok. I was calm and she repeated herself 4-5 times for some reason. I heard her the first time. It was only a difference of 17 cents. Petty. I don't like to be yelled at or called a liar. I shop there all time and never have I ever had someone be that rude to me. I don't usually write reviews... but I had to here.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I shop at Meijer once a week and love it. My complaint is with that pathetic online shopping site they have floating around collecting dust! Have y'all seen that silly site!? Just terrible! Doesn't reflect what they have in their stores at all. I shop online at Target & Walmart all the time & as sad as their sites are, Meijer's Online Store is way worse! Sad too because I buy a lot and often from the other 2 I mentioned. Get it together Meijer or you'll be shadowing Sears and Special K quick!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I went to this store after work 2/8/19 to pick up a few items and play the lottery, as I often do. There are wonderful people that work there but this one person makes the trip so unpleasant when I have to go in to shop. The time was approximately 17:08. I approached the customer service desk to play the lottery after purchasing my items... There is a ** woman that works there that has zero personality and should find a place in the store where she doesn’t have to interact with the public. I simply asked her a no-brainer question, “is your lottery up?” She replied that she was basically too busy to look up and say yes or no... I come in often and I hate when I encounter her. Good thing there’s lots of choices in Cincinnati for grocery stores because I will not be going in Meijer again.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

My name is Karen **. My husband and I went to the deli department on 1/19/2019, standing and waiting our turn. This lady skipped us and went and helped someone else - ok we just brushed it off. Then she came to help us. We asked for what we want. Asked her opinion. She asked if we would like to sample it, "Ok we will." She threw it on the counter so I became very upset, "How you going to throw our food." She threw the package of meat she packed up so I went and asked for a manager - management took long. Of course they do not care so I left my cart and all the stuff in the cart.

A lady came out and asked me to come back in. I explained what happened. I requested something for what I went through. 25.00 Meijer gift card does not make up for disrespect. This elderly ** meat lady has always treated us borderline rude but this day I was not having it any longer. I wish I knew her name because I would put it on here. Going forward she better get it right or I calling corporate and she will not know what happened because this must stop! I respect you and deserve the same respect back period!!! There is no excuse for this type of service.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

When I check my bill it is usually not correct in the Michigan store in Jackson on Michigan Ave. Charged for red peppers when I buy green. I have been told when I shop next time an adjustment will be made since I'm a mPerks customer - doesn't happen.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

My name is Herman **. I shop at Meijer on Alpine Northwest Grand Rapids Michigan three times a month also prescriptions. Each time that I go to the self-checkouts Meijer have. I find myself being watched by a customer helper. I've notice each time before I get to the self-checkout line there is no customer helper standing directly in front of other customers. All of a sudden the helper leaves her station and comes to the checkout machine I'm using and stands right across from me directly to make sure that I'm not trying to slip out without paying. And doesn't asking do I need any assistance checking out. But there are other customers around that don't get the same treatment that I'm getting. I don't like to the call names. But I'm beginning to feel that Meijer doesn't appreciate my business and I've shopping at the Alpine Meijer because of its convenient location.

I would hope that I wouldn't have to go into Meijer just to observe how they treat some of their regularly customers. I spend between 47.00 to $50, 75.00 along with prescriptions monthly. Each time that I'm there. I have complained, and called their customer service office. Nothing been done. This is my second complaining. The Meijer on Plainfield Avenue in Grand Rapids Township. I don't have this problem as the one on Alpine. So I no longer shop at at Meijer. Simply because of this reason. Your cooperation is mostly needed. Thank you!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

Just got E-coli from burger bought 5 days ago in a Saginaw, Mi. location. Once we knew we were all sick we dumped our chili. We don't get sick often from food. We are "wide awake" and pay very close attention to EVERYTHING. We are not the only ones but every time we go to Meijer we end up anxious, feeling dizzy or distraught, eye irritation, overwhelming depressed feeling, and/or migraine. Per our research it is suggested that the "fluorescent lights" not light sensitivity causing the problems. There are reports of employees having feelings of "time loss" and several told us they had to set the timer on their phones while in there or they feel like they have been in a time warp.

One young man mentioned wandering around lost and dazed for 2-1/2 hrs while shopping and purchased nothing but felt dazed and sick until he left. If you do your "case study" research investigation in the effects of electrically charged radiation causing mercury in fluorescent lights you will see why people are staying away from Meijers and going to Kroger and Walmart not just because of overpriced contaminated meat.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I understand that there is an opioid epidemic right now, but that doesn’t mean your pharmacist has the right to talk to me like I am... She actually told me “if I stop talking and listen...” Not professional at all!!! She then went as far as to right on my script “filled 11-8, don’t fill till 12-8” When the script written by MY Dr says 30 days, not 31!!! She wrote this because I asked for my prescription back to have it filled elsewhere... She also questioned my ability to count!!!

I have serious medical problems, one being seizures... So if the stress and embarrassment of her talking to me this way, or talking loudly enough so everyone now knows what I’m taking, causes a seizure, who should I mail the medical bills too??? I see a pain management Dr, I’m drug tested at every appointment, it’s not your pharmacist right or responsibility to treat me like a drug addict!!! And that’s exactly how it felt!!! Not everyone who takes pain meds are law breaking addicts!! I do have a pic of the prescription if someone at Meijer would like to see it...

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I live in the Milwaukee area, there are two Meijer stores nearby my home. Whenever I do any grocery shopping here, I find myself wandering aimlessly, trying to find items on my list. My example from today, would be for popcorn salt. I went to the aisle where the large ceiling sign, said POPCORN. Ok, well here is where I need to be. WRONG! There were bags of popcorn, but the next aisle over had the microwave popcorn, bottles/bags of kernels, popcorn seasonings, etc. That aisle is listed as having nuts, and who knows what else. Just this little sign above the popcorn. Guess what? There was NO popcorn salt near the flavorings! Why? Other stores I shop at have popcorn salt near the flavorings and popcorn. Nope, I had to search around, deciding that maybe it was by the salt in the baking aisle. Sure enough!

On the bottom shelf, crammed between other salt, I found popcorn salt. How stupid. It’s similar to the jello and pudding. In other grocery stores, you find these in the baking aisle, not at Meijer! The jello and puddings are all discombobulated together, in the coffee aisle. Or let’s talk about how the condensed milk and evaporated milk, both baking items, are also NOT in the baking aisle! The other aisles are set up weird like this as well. Chips for example are side by side aisles, instead of long continuous aisles. Look, I realize I can get my steps in on my fit bit, at you Meijer stores, but that isn’t really my plan. I’m a busy mom, and the last thing I need, is to be wandering your stores looking for things! Who is the toddler that you keep using to set up your grocery areas! This toddler should be fired, because no one in their right mind enjoys chasing around for items while shopping! I need to just stick to shopping at Woodman’s! It’s cheaper there anyways!!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I have shopped at my Meijer store since it opened. I shop every week and spend well over 100 dollars. Meijer had great produce. Not anymore. An example is bulk red potatoes. They always look like shriveled who knows what. In season corn looks like it has been drying on the vine. I haven’t bought corn at Meijer for over 2 years. They use to have self check out for large orders, long belts, etc, and you bagged your own. I loved this feature. They did away with this and now I have to go through a checker, who has no idea how to bag groceries. It is absolutely unbelievable that I who have never worked at a grocery, know how to bag better than any employee at the store.

I really don’t want to go anywhere else, but each week I get closer and closer to doing so. I don’t get my prescriptions there but have asked the pharmacists questions on several occasions and they are very unfriendly. One other thing that has really prompted me to write this is the latest recall of romaine lettuce. Meijer had NO lettuce, No Spinach, nothing. A few bags of broccoli coleslaw. I went to Kroger and they had all kinds of lettuce. Red leaf, green leaf, arugula, etc. Walmart had red leaf, arugula, etc. What’s up with that. I don’t want to have to go to different stores for groceries. But if I have to do that, I will just find a new store.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

The lines were so long on a Saturday it wasn't funny. The service coordinator they have is awful. I think her name is Kristina. She rude and doesnt need to be in customer service. She wouldn't open any more lanes. She just stood there. I was a regular customer but not anymore.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I went to the pharmacy drive in at the Meijer in Lowell, MI, and the pharmacy clerk said, "I can't wait on you in that, you must be in a motor vehicle." The "that" she was referring to was my bicycle, which I had ridden on busy roads to get to the drive in. I might go inside, but Meijer does not offer safe parking for bicycles. So, I switched my prescription to another pharmacy, and was pleased to get a better price as well as service. This is the first time I've been refused service at a drive in while on my bicycle. I have day/night flashing lights front and rear, and a flag, so visibility is not a problem.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Every single week, the Cascade Meijer is OUT of at least one item I buy weekly. It doesn't matter the day of the week or the time of day, I always have to leave without an item on my list... EVERY SINGLE TIME!!! What an inconvenience! I'm sure I'm not the only shopper experiencing this.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Meijer mails customers their own Meijer coupon. I watched the cashier scan my Meijer coupon and then I saw her punch another button. I asked the cashier what they were doing. The cashier told me that for all of the Meijer coupons that they mail to my house, she has to hit an extra button even though the coupon worked properly. The lines are already long at Meijer, I do not want to stand in line any longer while the cashier has to hit an extra button when the coupon worked fine.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Self checkout computer froze up after I scanned my merchandise but did not give me a receipt. A cashier then rang up my merchandise again and gave me a receipt. When I balanced my checking account, I found that I had been charged twice. When I called the store I was given a recording that hung up on me. This was all done with my debit card. Now I am out the amount that was duplicated.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

Each and Every time I go to pick up my prescription I have to wait at least a half an hour while they screw around filling other orders instead of handing me the supposedly ready for pick up prescription! Total joke!!! Many times I was given only a partial prescription, then when I come back two days later they try to charge me a second co-pay fee! DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME with MEIJER!!!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

The wild cod fillets I purchased had the most terrible taste of ammonia! Couldn't eat it, it tasted so bad. AND it didn't smell bad! I am a fish eater and always have been. So, I Googled this whole scenario and discovered that SOME companies spray their fish with ammonia to keep it from spoiling. It tasted awful. Will NEVER buy fish there again. No smell AND going rotten...nice.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I was put hold for 10 minutes with customer service checking a rebate that was about 3 weeks ago since I got no status updates. This was for Sylvania Xvision pair of headlight light bulbs, with purchase of it you got a $15 rebate. After talking to Meijer's M Perks department they told me this promotion was done through Sylvania not Meijer, so there was one run around on my end. I reached out to Meijer's customer service number just now about my rebate and they relayed my message to the director of this store. I was told he had no recollection about this rebate and basically was called a liar. I'm absolutely positive that there was a yellow sticker at the time of purchase that said $15 rebate otherwise I wouldn't of purchased it since they were $60 a pair.

After all in all being on the phone for 15-20 minutes I was told that I wouldn't be receiving nothing for my inconvenience nor for the rebate. The reason for this review is that someone can see this to see that I'm not lying about this that in fact there was a rebate around May 7th for this product. Also, so management can seriously take notes on their screw ups and record ALL pictures of all rebates and sales.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Meijer will not do what they are supposed to when it comes to refunding money orders. According to Western Union's site, they should offer me a form and take the money order and completed form to start the refund process. All they would do is say 'you can try to call Western Union'. Totally WORTHLESS. AND THEY COULDN'T CARE LESS. THEIR ATTITUDES ARE HORRIBLE. CUSTOMER SERVICE IS LESS THAN ZERO.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Been a Meijer shopper 45+ years. The coupons shooting out of the register are useless. I refuse to sign up for Mperks so I guess that explains the coupon mailer I occasionally get in the mail and sometimes use. This morning I purchased Tide liquid only to be told the bottle I bought was too big, the coupon only applied to the smaller size! It has been sad to see the downslide, especially over the last 10 yrs. An apology would have been nice but all I got was a blank stare when I complained. Sad...

Original review: March 12, 2018

I wish I could post a picture of the ripped bag on the ground that LISA put 2 bottles of wine & a carton of O.J. in. This girl could not be bothered to use the brain she supposedly was given. Are they teaching any common sense steps for cashiering and bagging at Meijer? 3/11/18, 18:46:07, South Haven, MI store.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I can usually find what I'm looking for at Meijer. Their selection in many product categories is really good. You can get wrapping paper, cards, toys, paint, crafts, home decor and groceries.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

In the Kentwood and GR area, almost every Meijer trip I make I need to decide an alternative or replacement to my shopping list due to items not being stocked. At first it was only in the Marketplace Meijer and I would drive out of the way to the Beltline or Cascade Meijer, but lately it has been EVERY Meijer I shop at. I thought, maybe because I shop Sunday or Monday, they are still recovering from the weekend shoppers. Except that I've lately shopped all days of the week, sometimes to try again for items I missed because of none in stock, and all hours of the day still remain unstocked for items like Milk, Creamer, basics! Whether it's bad management or what, I don't know. But even when I see carts of product being hauled around at all hours by employees, items often are frustratingly not available to purchase. I've lately turned to Trader Joe's and Target for things I need, which are almost never out of stock.

Meijer Company Information