Find the right jewelry store for you

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.60/5

Kay Jewelers Reviews

Original review: April 2, 2019

I purchased a Purchase A Le Vian luscious cushion-shaped Chocolate Quartz surrounded by swirls of 14K Strawberry Gold drizzled with Le Vian Chocolate Diamonds® and Vanilla Diamonds. It states that The ring has a total diamond weight of 1/10 carat. Le Vian®. Most natural gemstones pictured have been subject to an enhancement process or treatment (e.g. heating, oiling, diffusion, waxing, etc. ), which may not be permanent and may require special care. Generally, most treated gemstone jewelry should only be gently cleaned by rinsing in warm water and dried with a soft cloth.

So after a few months I noticed that a few of the stones behind the large smoky quartz had fell out so I took it in for repairs. Then I was getting something from my car and the ring got caught in my seat cover and easily stretched the shank. I was beyond disappointed and upset about the ease of the so called 14K strawberry gold (questionable) stretching as it did. I took it to Kays and they sent it out to repairs. I purchased another ring on that same day. I waited to hear from them about my repair, never did.

I went back to Kays over a month later and purchased another ring and asked about my repair. They said, "Oh yes it’s here." I looked at it quickly being I was so excited about my new 1 1/2 carat I had just purchased and didn’t realize until I after getting home and taking all of my rings off and put in their boxes then putting my favorite that was repaired on my finger.

At this point I realized that the ring was too big, the stones behind the smoky quartz were no longer chocolate but white, the shank was disfigured and looking through the device used to determine whether a diamond is real or not showed bubbles not shards. I was beyond furious and questioned whether this was my ring that I gave for repairs. This is a Le Vian (with a hefty price)! With that I expect more than all of the issues I’ve been having with this. So I call the company and file a complaint in which I’ve been waiting to get resolved for almost a month now. It’s being investigated. I was told that Le Vian was the one that did the repairs. Really? This is a repair done by them? Wow! That speaks loudly to me. Then again question that it’s true. I paid for full warranty. There should be no question and this ring be replaced.

I have purchased many Le Vian and high end rings from them but that’s come to a halt. I’m going to take all of my rings purchased through them and have them checked by a reputable jeweler. If this repair situation doesn’t meet my expectations I will file a complaint and let it be known to beware of Kay. You may be buying junk or a previously owned but advertised as new, who knows. If there are issues with any of the others that will be known as well! I’ve invested many many thousands with them and I feel at this point that I’ve been scammed on this repair. Thank you for your reviews. This helps me to know it’s not just me thinking this. There are many that are experiencing the same disappointment and anger that I am.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I was gifted several pieces of jewelry for my birthday which is Feb 9th, three to be exact. I have had 4 repairs in the last two months to my brand new jewelry. When I shopped recently I purposely passed Kay’s and drove an extra hour to Jared’s only to have the exact same thing happen to two pieces I purchased from them!!! Both pieces broke! After clearly becoming very frustrated I began the task of attempting to reach out about my horrible experiences only to find out they are sister companies. I started with both storefronts...that was needless to say a joke.

I ended up grasping at straws for some sort of satisfaction, just wanting to feel financially whole, so I ended up on a “customer care” phone call. I have never experienced such terrible customer service. The tone and condescending conversation I had left me even more frustrated. I have now not only spent a substantial amount of money with this company but also a tremendous amount of my time! I strongly advise that you DO NOT give one cent to either one of these stores!

Original review: March 27, 2019

The products are ok but not the best. I don’t like the warranty plans cause you have to keep coming into the store to have items inspected. We have lost stones in various rings. Store always had polite sales associates.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I went to Kay Jewelers to use my current wedding ring, of which I purchased from them, into a custom piece (new setting). When I came in to pick up the ring, one of the diamonds was yellow. They tried to blame it on the materials they had used from my other ring, but the picture they took proved NONE of my diamonds were yellow. I sent it back in to have it "swapped out" and waited 16 more days. I tried to call ahead to have them verify that it was repaired but they told me they were too busy to look. I drove 30 miles only to find out the diamond still didn't match. I was livid and they refused to do anything.

The AM told me that she would have an email with detailed pictures sent to the manager (who was on vacation) and that she would call me on the following Monday. No one called and when I called the manager had no idea what I was talking about. This store is a joke. How does a custom piece that is obviously flawed make it past 5-6 pairs of eyes??? Once you pay they do not care at all. I called corporate and that was also a joke. Do not give Kay Jewelers any money.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Originally bought my wedding ring at Kay Jewelers. Religiously brought the rings to be checked every 6 months per their warranty. A prong broke off (for the 5th time!) so they sent it in. It was returned to me and they said they could not fix the prong because "the whole setting would melt" and that my engagement ring was unfixable. So I asked if they could at least separate the engagement ring and wedding band so I at least had my wedding band.

They sent it in again, and when I got it back 2 weeks later, yes the rings were separated. But I could see the saw marks, they never even buffed it out. So my engagement ring was unfixable, and now my wedding band had sharp edges and gouges in it so it ripped up my finger. THEN they said "well you can upgrade your ring" and proceeded to try to sell me a $7000 new ring when all I wanted was a prong fixed! I finally brought my rings to a private family-run local jeweler and they were in ABSOLUTE SHOCK about the whole thing. They said it seemed like Kay Jewelers were trying to damage the rings. So for under $100, this private jeweler fixed everything Kay wrecked, fixed the gouges, fixed the prong, and soldered my rings back together. I will NEVER EVER go to Kay Jewelers again. You shouldn't either!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kay Jewelers?

Original review: March 11, 2019

If I could, I would give this store a negative score. My husband and I placed a custom order for an engagement ring on September 1, 2018, and six (6) months later have yet to receive our ring. We also asked our representative to make sure of the price as we did not want to encounter the price increasing once we committed to the process. Twice we were called back and asked for a little more because of miscalculations. We were working with George and even though he is pleasant to talk to, I have to constantly track him down for updates. There was a moment of hope where we thought our ring was complete and unfortunately we were let down. I had to drive to two different locations only to encounter my mounting being too large for my diamond, and the stones we purchased did not match nor fit into the mounting either.

Everything was sent back and this time my current engagement ring and wedding band went along too. Currently, they have close to $4,000 for the custom, my current engagement ring and wedding band and my custom order. I have reached out to the 1-800 customer service number and have not heard back. I asked George to request his district manager Jay to call my husband and Jay has not called us back. This is absolutely ridiculous! This company is supposed to be professional and right now they seem like a bunch of crooks.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I am trying to return a necklace and receive a refund. I paid cash and I literally went to every Kay Jewelers store in my area and was told they don't have the cash to do a refund. What I don't understand is how a billion dollar company doesn't have $400 cash to refund for a product I am not satisfied with. They all say to call back to see if they made enough cash, or to wait till the weekend. My thing is I paid cash and I want my cash back immediately upon return. I will never deal with Kay Jewelers again. Merchandise way overpriced for the quality of the product.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I purchased a Christmas gift for my wife that she did not like. I tried to return. I paid cash. Kay Jewelers would not give me my cash back. They were rude and condescending at the Burlington, NJ store. I had to call everyday to seen if their store would make enough cash sales to give me my cash back. This took months.

Also, I tried removing my address from their system because I no longer want to receive any mail from them. They will not remove my address. I even called their corporate office and the woman hung up on me.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

My husband bought my engagement ring from Kay in Montgomery Alabama, where he was told if he opened a case account he could save 10% oh, so he did. He said he was then given a Rewards Card saying to bring this back anytime and you will save $300 on her wedding band, when he went to purchase the wedding band at the Prattville Alabama location oh, they did not have it so they sold him a plain band that would do until the actual band could be purchased at a different location.

When we went to purchase the real band that match my diamond at the location in the Hoover Alabama store we were told that the rewards were not good until May 2nd, at no point was he given the information that the rewards were not good until this point but we were willing to take 10% off of the band where he was talked into signing up for the Kay account anyway. The assistant manager here refused to give us the 10% off unless I opened an account with them and then put nothing on it. I told her I did not want to do this that he had already open an account and he would have gotten them both at the same time had he not thought the $300 rewards card was good for the band. She refused to do this so we left.

We went to another location five miles from this one in Brookwood Village Alabama and Alexis the manager was very helpful. I called her. She told me she could give me the 10% over the phone. We went there. We purchase the band and I am now very happy with my engagement ring and wedding band. Thank you Alexis for your great customer service! Four locations involved and the last one is the one that made us the most happy, it really shouldn't be this hard... But in the long run Alexis you are awesome and thank you for your service!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

My fiance has a Kay's card. We love shopping for jewelry with Kay's always great product. However, the customer service seems to be slipping so much so that we have decided to no longer return to Kay for our jewelry needs. Reason being - every time we have gone in since my engagement ring was purchased we have been encouraged to spend our $500 Kay bucks. We were told it expired May 2019 by Pam... Then when my fiance went back to get a Valentine's gift he was informed that it expired just days before??? We are so frustrated with this. How can someone look at our account and see that we have credit of $500 and misread the date?? Talk about incompetence. With that being said we have decided to start shopping locally.

Kay Jewelers Company Information