2. Shopping
  3. Retail Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.74/5
Based on 1,002 ratings submitted in the last year

Find discount codes while you shop.

See how much you can save using Honey

Get started

Find discount codes while you shop.

See how much you can save using Honey

Get started

JCPenney Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about JCPenney?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about JCPenney?

Original review: Oct. 15, 2012

I went into my local Penney's today because I got a birthday coupon in the mail. What a total shock to see the store I have loved for years turned into a cold and empty "warehouse" looking store. The displays of clothing I used to see was gone, replaced by racks and racks of "sale" and "fair and square" pricing. What? The reason we women used to love Penney's were the coupons! Take them away and what reason do we have to shop there? Oh, and what happened to those favorite brands and sizes of mine? I couldn't find them. You know they have taken the "fun" out of shopping. I actually hated the experience. I didn't use my coupon and probably will never go back. P.S. Remember those great Penney's catalogs where you could see what was on sale and for how long? I actually bought my bedroom set and all the bedding through one of their catalogs. I hate the slick new catalogs. Goodbye Penney's, it was nice knowing you.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2012

I used to be an avid JC Penney customer, but the 'New' has completely discouraged me from shopping there anymore. First of all, they cancelled my charge card (opened in 1978) without any notification. Secondly, after hearing my low sales, I decided to go shopping for my sons, and could not find any associate to assist. It was like dead zone. Thirdly, I purchased a Liz Claiborne watch in December 2011 with the warranty. Well, the cover broke, and I returned it for repair. Guess what, according to JCP they cannot repair it, so they just wanted to refund the sale cost I paid.

They still have the exact watch in stock, but it was stated it would be too much of a loss to replace it but I could use the refund to purchase a new one. It was implied I should be glad to receive this refund. A gift card was issued instead of cash, because I had charged the original purchase. So JCP is not at a loss. Instead, it had my monies for the warranty purchase as well as the watch cost. I will use the gift card down to the penny and will not go over. I am finished with JCP.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2012

I ordered a dress online paid from JC Penney with PayPal account. Not liking it, I returned it to a local store on 9/30/2012. On 10/8/2012, still no refund so I emailed PayPal, who advised me to contact JC Penney. I called JC Penney and was informed it can take up to billing cycles (2 months). This is absurd. The money is deducted from my account as soon as I ordered it and it takes them to up to 2 months to send PayPal information on the refund to my account.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2012

I have been to J.C. Penney's a multiple times looking for long Levi's, size 8, but they only carry medium or short. I asked today if they had any in the back. I was told no. Longs are the most popular so when they come in, they go fast. My question is, why don't they order more if they go fast? It's odd to me that every time I go in, they don't have any. I have the same problem with my husband's size. I don't think it's us; I think it's because they are not ordering them.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2012

I had been a faithful JC Penney shopper for numerous. Everyone that knows me always asks, "Where did you get that? JC Penney?" I went to my regular store to purchase as a gift a pair of rain boots. The size of boots that I needed was not available. The sales clerk was very nice and ordered the boots for me. The next day, I received a voice mail from JC Penney stating my payment did not process and the boots would not ship. I had used my Platinum JC Penney card. What?! I called the number and was being transferred to the credit department. After being on hold 7 minutes, I was disconnected. I then called Customer Service (held for 5 minutes). They promptly warm transferred me back to the credit department. The rep at the credit department told me there was no problem and the payment was completed. I had to beg him to contact someone to tell them the payment was completed so the boots would ship.

I should not have to beg someone to be helpful. He then warm transferred me back to where I originally started. After the rep tried to sell me wash cloths to go with the order (right), she stated she had no idea what had happened, but the boots would ship. Not one time did one person say they were sorry for the problem. That took up 1-1/2 hours of my Friday night! That's not the end of the story. It has been 8 days since I placed the order. I tried to track my order by the web address on the receipt. This site is no longer available. I tried to contact the store directly. The operator was not available and I was disconnected. This has been the worst experience I have ever had ordering online. I am about ready to cut up my JC Penney card. I do think Kohl's will be my new store of choice. I have ordered there with no problem. Now, I will be having my co-workers and friends ask me, "Where did you get that? Kohl's?" Good luck, JC Penney. You are going to need it!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2012

I haven't been to JCP in a couple of months until a couple of weeks ago. The prices of the clothes have taken a hike and I can't imagine paying all that money for clothes. Before, JCP would be the only department store I would go to and now, I won't even shop there. I miss their coupons and also their overall help in satisfying our needs as the public. Since the new manager took over this corporation, it has been crazy prices. I can't even buy a shirt without it costing US$25. This is ridiculous.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2012

I went to JC Penney to buy Arizona carpenter jeans for men and found out y’all aren't carrying them anymore. The store as I knew it has gone from my favorite store to one that’s about to be belly up. I have to travel to this store if I wanted Lee or Levis I could go to KOHL's just down the street. I used to get the Christmas book, and I knew when that stopped, JC Penney was on its way out. Make some changes JC Penney or lose a lot of business. I don't like this store now and don't go in it for anything.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2012

Products are shown in the website but all sizes and colors are out of stock. What is the point of showing them? Why do you not say when they will be in stock? This has been over several weeks.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2012

I used to do most of my shopping at JC Penney but since their new fair and square program started, I have not bought much of anything. It is getting kind of scary when I walk in there. The store is half empty, registers are disappearing. There are more employees in the store than customers. I went in there today to buy a birthday gift for my mother-in-law, but I didn't see anything she would like. They used to have a nice selection of sweatsuits but they didn't have any. I didn't even see any sweaters she would like. The selection is getting very slim. Even the department with the towels looks empty. I usually do most of my Christmas shopping at JC Penney but there isn't anything good to buy anymore. I will probably shop at Kohl's this Christmas. If JC Penney wants to stay in business, they better bring back the coupons and special sales or they are not going to be around much longer. It may already be too late!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2012

I ordered a custom blind for the bathroom of my new home. It took so long to get manufactured that we moved into the new home. The blind was ordered on 7/24/12 and shipped around 9/14/12 - that's almost 2 months. I called to request the shipping address be changed. I received confirmation that the manufacturer will ship the blind to the new address. That didn't happen. The product got shipped to the old address. The response I received: “Go pick it up from the old address.” Really? Luckily, it is only a 15-minute drive. There’s not even a "we're sorry" message. It’s just a flat out, "Go pick it up.” Unbelievable. If I did my job that way, I would be fired.

In addition, I can't believe the deterioration of the quality of the products in the stores. Liz Claiborne should be rolling over in her grave over the poor quality of products in the stores with her name on them. They should rename the brand to JCP-Mart to better reflect what you are getting for the money. Right now, there's no difference between Wal-Mart and JCP. Well, wait, there is a difference - at least at Wal-Mart you can find someone to help you (usually).

Original review: Sept. 24, 2012

I am a (or was) faithful customer of JC Penney. Last month I received an email from the store's corporate location stating I won a $500 gift card from a back-to-school sweepstakes I had entered. I was very excited and happy to learn this news. Today I got the gift card via UPS, nothing had been tampered with at all. I go to my local JCP store (Gainesville, FL), collected $340 worth of merchandise, went to the front counter and to my surprise, there was nothing on the gift card. Of course they created some excitement, especially when the "team leader" showed up and treated me like I was a criminal trying to defraud the store. So now I am in a battle between the corporate office and my local store to try and fix this situation. I am very disappointed in how I was treated today and I feel bad for my children that were excited about the new clothes they were going to get. The most embarrassing experience ever!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2012

I have been a customer for nearly 45 years and have come to a recent conclusion that Penney's is no longer the store it used to be. Whoever has taken over as CEO has no idea how to run a store and is literally destroying a great dynasty! It is a sad day to realize the great store name brand may go out of business due to so many legitimate complaints. My grandparents and parents were customers of Penney's and when I got married, I used Penney's for most of my needs to furnish a home.

Throughout the years, I have seen the changes take place which have been increased prices and the quality going downhill. The worst thing they could have done is to take away coupons as they were the last incentive to shop there. They didn't stop to think that coupons are a psychological incentive, especially for women. With hard times hitting the market, people are looking for better bargains and sales, especially coupons, so I feel it was a big mistake to get rid of them. To top it off, your newer way of advertising merchandise is rubbish. Why do you think the Sears went downhill? They did the same thing you are doing. And why do you think stores such as Kohls and Target are doing so well? I bet if they brought back the sales and coupons, sales would pick up again. I miss the old Penney's!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2012

You must want JC Penney to go belly up! You discontinued plus size clothing for the Omak, WA JC Penney's store 98841? Half the population in this rural area is plus size? Plus, the store is half empty? I don't know who your CEO is but they need a wake up call. This is the only good clothing store we have within 100 miles. And it is discrimination against plus size women, is it not? You should let the store manager choose what sizes & brands to carry. They are the ones who know their customers, not someone hundreds of miles away! I will be sad to see the store close. I'm very unhappy!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2012

The website has gone downhill big time! I have been a loyal customer of JC Penney for ten years or more. I have always been able to buy plus pants in stalls in the Worthington brand. Ever since the store has switched over to this "new" system, every time I log on to purchase pants, they are never available. Also, items that are on sale are never available! Why on earth have items listed on sale but when customers click on them to purchase, all choices of the items are unavailable! What sense does that make? Absolutely none and it is a complete waste of people's time!

The reason we shop online in the first place is to save time, plus the stores never have the size I wear available in them, which is another major complaint I have! I am 5'10 and my daughter is 6'2, both of us wear plus size clothing. So why do you discontinue plus size stalls when I know good and well they sell? And why aren't they available in the stores? Believe it or not, all plus size people are not short!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2012

I had to return poor merchandise. I purchased two St. John shirts for my son's birthday. After washing them, they were so thin and wrinkled. I was shocked. I've been buying this product for years and never saw quality like this before. What has happened? When I went to the store, I couldn't locate a cash register that was open. I walked around the store for thirty minutes trying to locate a sales representative and cashier. Finally, I located one in the back of the store in the women's department. I explained my problem and was immediately helped, but I was told that even though I had paid cash and had a receipt and it had only been two days since purchase, I would have to take a card in return. Okay.

I then tried to locate replacement shirts, and to my surprise, any shirt that met the old standards for St. John's was two times the price. In other words, instead of paying $20.00 a shirt, I would now have to pay $40.00. The same shirt at Kohl's would have been $20.00, but I had to use the card that my refund was placed on. I asked for a discount, since I had to shop twice and couldn't get a good quality shirt for less than $40.00. I was told no. I have shopped at JCP for over 40 years, and I still can't believe the lack of stock, the mess the store is in, the rudeness of your staff, and absolute disregard for the customer's needs. I used to purchase around $2,000.00 a year at this store, but I won't be anymore.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2012

I was in total shock to see my favorite store go downhill so fast. I always bought my bedding, drapes and clothing from J.C Penney. For me to buy something nice would mean a trip to the store where I could buy a quality piece. I went to three J.C Penney's store to try and put a a bedroom set together (Palme by Chris Madden). Finally, it was ordered online by the sales associate. What in the name is going on with this store? My husband will not buy suits here anymore after 20 years. He gave me the gift certificate back and said, "They have junk!" There are no stocks and the store is a mess. It reminds me of a Kohl's or Marshall's, very little cashiers, no catalog dept, and no stock in the store or online to put a whole window together for my living room. There are no colors in stock, nothing. I am so disappointed that they are turning into a junk store. The help with what is left is overworked and you cannot find anyone if they leave the area you are shopping in. Shame on you, J.C. Penney. Mr. Penney would be upset if he were alive to see what you have done!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2012

Orders in the wrong system, missing beds and a sofa order that was canceled for no reason. Penney’s has wasted 4 weeks of my life. For a store that puts themselves out there as “Focused on making the customer experience better every day, JCPenney is dreaming up new ways to make customers love shopping again.” I have to laugh. I had made 2 orders with this less then fun to shop company. The 1st was made up of a chair, a TV stand, an end table, a full bed with a box spring, a queen bed with a box spring, a bed frame and a couch. The 2nd was made up of a 2nd couch to replace the first one.

When I was called to schedule delivery for my 1st order, I was told that the order was in the wrong system and could not be delivered on 8/4 as I had requested when I placed the order. The order apparently was put into the “wrong system” and had to be redone. Due to this, only part of my order was going to be available until 8/4. Where was the rest? Well, it still had to be made. The beds of course would not be ready till 8/8 and couldn’t be delivered until 8/11. So, I was about to spend another Saturday waiting for stuff from Penney’s to show up.

Then to my surprise on 8/11, the delivery company only showed up with the queen mattress and the bed frame. I was told, sorry this is all we have. They “dropped” the bed frame in the guest room and slid the mattress with all the packaging into the bedroom and were out the door quick as bunnies. Where was the other bed set and my box spring? To quote Penney’s it was “missing”, which I come to find out it wasn’t. Penney’s never told the delivery company that it needed to be delivered. So the weekend of 8/18, I got to sit around again waiting for Penney’s delivery guys to show up. When they finally showed up on the 18th with the bed and box spring, I had to ask that they set the beds up and was told that they were not told that they had to do that. One of them dragged the box spring into my room and just left it sitting there. Didn’t bother to put the mattress on it or even make sure that the bed frame fit. I had to redo the whole bed myself and they even left the packaging that was on the mattress.

Now for the 2nd order. On 8/4, the delivery guys couldn’t get my sofa through the door so I had to send it back. I ordered a new sofa online on 8/4 thinking that I wasn’t going to deal with a store again. With all my calls about my 1st order, I asked that my new couch be checked on. I was told no problem with the order; it’s waiting to be shipped to the delivery company. This was around 8/20. Then on 8/27, when I hadn’t heard anything from Penney’s yet, I went online to check the order and found that it had been canceled. The reason for this, I couldn’t be given one. No one at Penney’s can tell me the reason why.

My options were wait another 6 weeks for the same sofa or I could be offered a different one that they had in the warehouse in 3 weeks. The 3 week one was too big to fit in the apartment. My options were nothing or nothing at this point. It was sorry there is nothing we can do. But we would send you a $25 gift card to shop in our stores. I waited 4 weeks for a sofa. My mom hasn’t been able to visit me. I had to spend an extra week living with my ex-husband and I still don’t have a sofa. But they did say that they were “Sorry”.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2012

Recently, I purchased furniture from Jcp.com. The delivery is free (great), but we won't get the furniture for at least 6 weeks. It should say this directly on the page where the item is shown that it will not take delivery before 6 weeks. I would not have purchased the items. Also, I guess they are bombarded by complaints because there is no way to complain to them other than speaking to the people that cannot make any changes. JC Penney has lost my 20+ years of loyalty. Here I come, Kohl's and Target.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2012

I experienced the same thing as Mary. The sofa in the store was very comfortable but when mine was delivered, the foam used in the cushions was definitely not the same. When I made inquiry about it, I was told it would soften up over time. It never did. It's hard as a brick. I firmly believe the furniture delivered is not equal in quality to the furniture on display.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2012

JCPenney now became an awful and cheap imitation of Target. The quality of everything is way down - shoes, clothing, jewelry, everything. The styles are awful teenage styles that are designed to be worn once and thrown away. I've been shopping there for about 20 years, but no more. No self-respecting woman over 30 would wear this junk. It was good till it lasted but now I wouldn't care if it goes out of business.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2012

JCP has gone completely downhill! I have been a loyal JCP customer for years! In the past, I would recommend JCP to everyone! That has all changed. I gave this new fair and square program a chance, but I am no longer a JCP customer. The prices are not so fair and square - they are high! I was accustomed to using their coupons. If you are not going to allow me to use coupons, then I have no reason to go shopping there. The few times I did go into the store, it was a complete disgrace, every time! They have eliminated half of the registers and you can never find a sales person to actually help you. The store looks like it’s in shambles - worse than a low class department store. It is beyond trashy! Wal-Mart has a better appearance and better customer service. There is so little merchandise on the floor; it looks like they could condense everything onto just one floor instead of having two. I hope the new CEO or whoever made these changes is happy with the results - I don’t see how he could since the stock has significantly dropped. May want to rethink this? Not such a smart idea. It would not surprise me if they end up closing for good. Maybe that was the goal? I've moved on to Kohl’s. I am a proud Kohl’s shopper now who won't ever go into JCP again!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2012

I have been a long-time customer for 12 years at the hair salon in Boise Towne Square Mall. When I try to get my hair cut this month, you could not get me in because of your back-to-school free haircuts. You lost me as a long-time customer for the hair salon and clothes shopper. When I talked to your manager, she acted like she could care less.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2012

The local store in Exton, PA has gone way downhill. I tried to buy some shirts and jeans for my son. Absolutely none in his size in stock in the store and the online catalog claimed they are no longer available. Ridiculous, considering that he is of average size. Unacceptable that there are so few store associates that you have to go from one end of the store to the other to find one and sometimes, to a different floor. The place looks like a half-empty dollar store. The selection is getting worse and the atmosphere is like the final weeks of a going-out-of-business sale. Small wonder why their stock price is down from $43.16 in February to $19.06 in July. Their stock is losing $2.50 per share and their dividend is suspended. These are facts listed on the New York stock exchange website. From what I've read here, I'm not the only one to notice their nosedive in quality and service.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2012

I checked my bank statement on 08/21/12 and saw that you withdrew $112.73 that I paid in full on this account and also withdrew $110.92, which I do not owe. I called to complain, and of course, I got a recording telling me that you are sending me a check for the $110.92 and that it will take 8-10 days before I receive the money that you wrongly took from my account. It's bad enough to pay the charge once, but twice, it outrages me. What if I did not have the money to cover the fraudulent withdrawal of the $110.92? I should be given some kind of monetary compensation for this error on your part. I'm a very dissatisfied long-time customer.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2012

I came into the store to purchase a pair of athletic shoes. They did not have my size so the sales associate placed the order in store online that was on 8-2-12. They were supposed to call you when the order comes into the store. I never got that call. On 8-17-12, I contacted the store; they said that my shoes had arrived. She went in on 8-19-12 and the person that assisted me was the manager, came back from checking on my shoes and said that they had been returned.

I asked why she would say after 15 days they were sent back. I explained to her that I never received a call from the store letting me know that my order had arrived and I never knew of the 15-day return policy, there was nothing on my receipt. I feel that this is horrible customer service by the store and the manager. The manager could have done something to make things better but she did nothing. I have shopped at JCP; I don't think I will shop there again.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2012

The "Get Ready" commercials are not inappropriate; in fact, the lyrics to "Get Ready" are happy and harmless. The chorus is, "And I'm bringing you a love that's true. So get ready, so get ready I'm gonna try to make you love me, too (not ‘I'm going to try to make love to you’). So get ready, so get ready 'cause here I come." J.C. Penney has enough problems, as chronicled in detail in these postings, without adding things that are untrue. This is a Smokey Robinson song first done by the Temptations; and I assure you that Smokey Robinson is not only "not a pervert," he is one of America's most prolific, most honored, and most loved songwriters. (BTW, the Temptations' version of "Get Ready" is way better.)

Original review: Aug. 17, 2012

The prices are too high, first of all; and there is never anybody at the checkouts to ring you up. The new president who changed everything really did a number on the store and especially the customers. Our local J.C. Penney had about half the checkout counters removed. And every time I've been in, it's been a horrible experience. The local store needs new management as well as the whole company needs new direction. I don't plan on shopping there anymore - I tried 3 or 4 times since the change and each time is worse than before. Merchandise is way overpriced and associates are not friendly.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2012

The new JC Penney back to school TV ad is very inappropriate. The ad shows young children. The music in the background Get Ready by The Temptations. Just as we see a very young girl, we hear, "I'm going to try to make love to you. So get ready, so get ready because here I come." What kind of pervert does JC Penney have working for them? This is outrageous and should be removed from TV immediately if not sooner!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2012

Being a retired hairstylist, I always ask for a master stylist. I took a picture to show her what I wanted. My hair was short and I knew this cut would work for me and was possible to achieve. Before she started cutting, I again asked her if she could do this cut for me, and the answer was yes. Leaving for a business convention the next day, I was looking forward to this haircut and wanted to look my best. I saw her go back and forth on the sides, cutting one shorter than the next, and turning me away from the mirror. The top started getting shorter and shorter - too short to match the photo. When she was done and asked me what I thought of it, I told her that it wasn't like the photo and I showed it to her again. I also pointed out that one side was longer than the other.

She attempted to fix it, but it is still not even. The top of my hair looks like a spike. I look like a little boy, instead of a business woman. I was mortified to go to my business appointment looking like a butch. Worse haircut ever! She didn't do anything to comfort me after knowing that I wasn't happy. Also, the receptionist had asked me while I was paying if everything went okay, and I replied no. Why do they ask you if you are happy with it, if they don't know how to answer their question? Never again! If I can't get a good short haircut from a master stylist, I can't trust JCP. I've been on hold for 30 minutes trying to find out where to complain about this stylist and to contact a district manager. Poor business! Bad customer service!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2012

Wow, I love the new JCP. The brands and displays that have been installed are so striking and pleasant. The clothes are so much cuter. The prices are really low. I like the new pricing. The only thing I would recommend is to keep increased quantities of popular items in stock such as the turquoise jeans. We would have purchased them, but size was all sold out.

JCPenney Company Information