2. Shopping
  3. Retail Stores

3.7/5 (1552 ratings)

About JCPenney

JCPenney Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about JCPenney?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about JCPenney?

Original review: March 1, 2013

Subtle shapers panty hose - I have been wearing these for 30+ years; they fit well and wear like iron. What happened to them? They are no longer carried in the store. I ordered some Jan. 5, 2013, to be picked up at the store. They are still on backorder. I used to love shopping at Penney's. I don't mind the redo of the store, but the catalog is for teeny-boppers! Get someone in there who knows merchandising!

Original review: March 1, 2013

I had commented before that the store here in Lubbock, Texas has almost a whole floor dedicated to college people. Yet, the majority of us who used to shop there have no products to choose from. Your large women department is a joke. My husband can't find the brand of pants he used to buy in your store. Your linen department got rid of American Eagle and sold a substandard Penney's brand now. There are more employees than shoppers. I have money and I plan on spending it, just not in your store. You have become the Kmart of retail stores. Good luck for running a once nice place into the ground and trying to be politically correct which if you read the news, most of America does not agree with.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2013

To the big stockholders of JC Penney (if there are any left), hear us. You allowed this one CEO high-tech idiot to destroy what took a century to build. I am (was) a loyal JC Penney customer. I am 54 and ex-New Yorker who spent zillion hours shopping in my life while always hunting for a good sale, a good sale, which is something you took away! Why did you allow this to happen? Why did you stop the fun sales? You allowed this non-retail person to end fashionable and affordable lines for ladies (who are not 15 and a size 0). Those people don't shop in JC Penney’s anyway. You lost the middle age shoppers like me. You never had many of the 20 something’s; the 30's don't like what you did either. So who do you have shopping besides your employees? No one. Get rid of Mr. High Tech. Let him turn Best Buy around and hire a few of your 50-something female employees who know what we like before it’s too late. I won't be back until he's gone!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2013

I bought a complete Van Heusen suit, shirt, and shoes for my 10-year old son online at JCPenney.com. The jacket to the suit were to be shipped about three weeks after ordering due to backorder. The rest of the items were shipped within a week. After more than 3 weeks of waiting, I received a cancellation email from JCPenney informing me that the jacket was no longer available. A visit to a local JCPenney showed the same jacket/size was available on the rack for a full price instead of the sale price, which was on sale when I placed my order. A call to JCP's customer service seemed like a runaround with no real solution to get it resolved. JCPenney just lost another loyal customer that had been shopping in their stores online for years.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2013

I ordered some blinds online and it thanked me for my order. After a week, I went to check on the order but it said I had no order so I ordered the blinds again. My bank account showed a pending transaction for this order but eventually I was not charged. I checked my order status and no orders where displayed. After a month, I called JCP and they told me nothing was ever placed. I ordered my blinds somewhere else and received them within a week. Thanks for wasting my time, JCP. I am going to be livid if I end up getting charged for two sets of blinds that I now do not need.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2013

I'm very disappointed with their current policies and the ethics shown by this company. Since when is a $10 off your order coupon prorated across items?! I bought 3 shirts and used $10 off your order coupon. Unfortunately, I had to return one item ... Unfortunately, they would not refund the full price of the shirt. They ended up taking away part of the discount and giving me a partial refund. I complained but got nothing more than, "It is the corporate policy." I still had two shirts. Why doesn't the $10 discount apply to those?! What kind of idiots are running their marketing departments? They have just trained me to never buy more than one item. At this point, I am planning on canceling my JC Penney credit card and I plan to tell as many people as possible about the lack of ethics and poor customer treatment by this company.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2013

I have tried to keep an open mind about the changes being made at JCP, but I have reached the point that I am completely unable to see any improvements that have been made. All of the changes seem to be detrimental. I received a $10 coupon last week, so I thought I would give it one more try. I was shocked since my last visit in early January. The store was so empty it looked like it was going out of business. Many of the customer service centers (cash registers) had been closed. I didn't find anything that I wanted to buy even with $10 off. All of the brands that I loved are gone. Ordering on the website is a joke. It's hard to find anything in stock. If the coupon had been for $100, I still would not have been able to use it. I can't believe the damage that has been done to this company and cannot imagine how it will ever recover.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2013

Service at store #2843 - Upon searching for several minutes for an advertised item, I started to look for a salesperson who also took several minutes. I asked in the fine jewelry department if the person would call someone to assist me. They pointed me in a direction and said, "It's in that area." After attempting to find the article, I saw two clerks chatting and folding items. I went over to them and asked again where I could locate the items. Of course, they had no time to show me. They were busy chatting about an upcoming birthday party but pointed again in the same area where I had been searching before.

When I said I couldn't find the item, one clerk drew in a deep breath and then walked me to the area. The items were almost all gone and of course, I wasted 20 minutes. I did find some other articles and did spend $90. When asked how my shopping went, I said I was totally disappointed and wanted to talk to the manager. She (the manager) apologized and sent me on my way with a smile. This happened at Christmas and I talked to a male manager. Things are not better.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2013

What are the JC Penney executives doing? I tried for the second time to shop at your new store concept and could not find one associate to direct me. The store is confusing and sterile. I grew up with the JC Penney and Sears Roebuck catalog throughout my childhood and now as a 50-year old with a decent income and money to spend, you have lost me.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2013

The new J.C. Penney is an injustice to middle America. The stores look like they are going out of business. Their most notable product lines have vanished, and the walls, shelves, and racks are depleted, stark and sterile. Survey your customers and respond to their feedback. The board of directors needs to wake up. New is less and the old is more!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2013

Back in November of 2012, I made a payment on my JC Penney credit card account. After the due date for that month (the 23rd), I made what was supposed to be a payment for December. I made it on November 28th. I was accused of missing a payment for December even though all the other cards I have don't do this. I have 7 other accounts. They assessed me a late fee on top of that. I called and explained and they removed the late fee but insisted I make a double payment in February. They would not bend on this issue. I asked them to close my account. They couldn't have cared less. I said the word **. The woman said she was ending my call. I told her what to do. If I were doing as poorly as they are, I'd be a little more compromising. Making two payments would not be a problem, but I felt as if I were taking responsibility for screwing up when I didn't.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2013

Since the change approximately 1 year ago, I have to say it has been for the worse. I used to shop JC Penney all the time, but now find it very unattractive when I walk in the store and somber. But the most change that truly has affected me is the price change. No longer are there any incentives or sales to get me wanting to come to the store. Personally for me, I like to know I am saving money and getting some good deals with incentives to draw me in rather than buy a flat price. That does nothing for me. Take some cues from stores like Kohls, which make me feel I'm getting the most out of my money and feel rewarded for using their store.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2013

On Nov. 23rd, 2012, we purchased a bed frame, a mattress and a $900 couch. We got the bed frame and the mattress, but no couch. We paid a lot of money for the couch. When we called your store, there was no record; we called the suppliers, still no record. They said it's not in the system; yet, JC Penney didn't fail to take our money for the couch. We even have the receipt. My husband is on his way to the store now. He is very pissed; I am too. Sincerely, a customer who doesn't like her money being stolen, especially almost a thousand dollars. Not in the system, very funny!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2013

I purchased a $2,259 mattress set from them on sale and with special discount, it costs $1,131.72. It lasted about 1 year when my back pain got unbearable. On 12/4/12, I contacted them about the warranty. They sent a technician on 1/17/13 and he deemed it defective. JCP told me that if I mailed them a check for $179 that I could pick out a new mattress set. The warranty clearly states that if the model is not available, that it will be replaced with same quality mattress. Then they told me that they did not have a similar quality mattress so they would credit me $1,131.72 and I would have to buy a mattress from them of that price line or pay the difference for a mattress of similar quality.

I knew I had been scammed so I demanded the $179 back. So they told me that I could only get $733.27 in credit to replace the set. I feel that they are responsible for telling me that I was getting a $2,259 for such a bargain. That was their price scheme. Once again, they misled me to believe that it would be replaced with a mattress of same quality and workmanship so I would send them money. I dealt with JCP because I was sure I would get great service from an American icon that had been in business for decades. It is no wonder that more and more people are dealing with foreign countries that appreciate our business and will work hard for an American dollar.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2013

I recently purchased a pair of jeans online from JCP. I had asked for shipping directly to a local store to avoid the additional $8 shipping. After not hearing from the store, I contacted JCP and was told they were at the store. Service on phone was horrible. The person couldn't hang up fast enough! A week later, I was notified that my order had been returned to the warehouse - no calls, no notice! When I tried to find out what had happened, I was contacted by 7 different customer care people and none of them could find the order in their system. Never ever again will I buy from them.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2013

Online I have repeatedly purchased items, which they have online, only to be told later they are not in stock. I am no longer doing business with JCP because I just can't actually make many purchases. The drill they use on everybody (check the Facebook page) is saying it's on backorder for a while and then finally saying the order is canceled. I do not understand how someone can stay in business by not having the inventory they say they have, the end result being no purchase. I am no longer shopping there because it is a waste of time. I have shopped there for over 20 years, and if they don't care, neither do I.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2013

I had insurance paid monthly on Penny's card. I used paperless billing, and guess what? The JCP card decided not to bill me for three months and I just plain forgot. I recently had cervical spine injury. Very distracting. So they decided to muck up my credit over less than thirty bucks. They never called, emailed or sent letter. Of course, they did lie to me. Be very careful of their billing system. Do not expect any help when you call. Never again.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2013

I wish I had read these reviews and the reviews on other websites before shopping online at JC Penney! One hundred negative reviews with the same theme: Items ordered were listed as in-stock when, in fact, they were on backorder or cancelled altogether. No timely emails to inform you of such. I ordered items sixteen days ago. Shipping was listed as 4-7 days. Nothing has come. The only email I received informed me that six items were on backorder. When I called, I was informed the items were not backordered but cancelled. The woman from the call center told me not to order items online but to order by phone for better results. I tried tracking my order but UPS told me the shipper has recycled an old tracking number, so the tracking number tells me my package was delivered two years ago. JC Penney sales are down and this subpar service can only hurt them. I will not be ordering anything online from JC Penney again.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2013

I ordered a watch using a gift card I received for Christmas and had it shipped to my local JCP to avoid shipping costs. I received a confirmation email that said it would be three weeks for delivery! Okay, I can live with that, not happy, but whatever. Then I happened to call this week to check on the status and was pleasantly surprised to be told it would be here on Friday and I can pick it up then. Today is Friday, I called to confirm (gut feeling?) and much to my dismay was told, "Oh no, it's not here but it should be here by today or by next Wednesday." What? This is ridiculous. This isn't "free" shipping. It has cost me emotionally.

I just lost my husband less than two months ago and this watch was to be a replacement watch for the one that he bought me that was lost. I don't know what JCP is thinking. Their new TV advertisements are obviously bogus, because their online promises certainly are. I won't make this mistake again and I'll be certain to tell my friend who has always given me a JCP gift card for Christmas to find another department store that cares about its customers. Thanks a lot, JCP. Merry Christmas.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2013

I placed 2 items in my shopping cart and before I could check out, they were both removed from my cart. I called the customer service number just to be told that if someone has the same item in their cart and checks out before me, then the items get taken out of my cart and sold to them. "First come, first served" is what she told me. What the heck? If the item runs out, then it should run out when put in your cart, not sold out from under you before you even get a chance to check out. That is terrible. What a horrible store! It used to be great years back, but has been going downhill quick. I cringe to use the word trashy but it applies here, sadly. A class action lawsuit might help them care more about the customer.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2012

On Black Friday, I ordered hundreds of dollars worth of merchandise online from J.C. Penney. I did not receive seven of those items, and several of them I wasn't even notified that I wasn't going to receive! When I contacted JCP because I was having trouble looking at my order online, they told me I had the wrong email address even though I ordered from the email I've had for 2 1/2 years and they had emailed me countless times informing me of the status of my order to that email! I will not order from JCP again. The experience was so disappointing and frustrating that I've encouraged all my family and friends to avoid JCP at all cost.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2012

Very bad customer service - I spent more than $2,000.00 on jewelry earrings and watches for Christmas. Yesterday afternoon, Saturday, December 29, 2012, I went to my store at Meyerland Plaza, Houston. I waited in line until my turn; I wanted 2 watches to be fitted (take out the links). When my turn came, the only lady who knew how to do this, refused to help me! She said she had enough with removing links and that she was going to help somebody else and for me to come back later. Unfortunately, I did not take her name. I was very upset. JCP is ready to take my money but not to help me! Another lady stepped in and was trying to help me, but she did not know how to take the links out. She was very embarrassed for the behavior of her co-worker. This is the last time I buy anything at your store! She should be put some place else where she is not directly dealing with customers. If you want a description of the lady, write back to me and I would be happy to give it to you!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2012

After working a hard shift and dealing with a lot of customers, a lot of us employees have to close and organize every hanger and clothes in a special way that no customer really cares about. I'm really complaining about not getting out at the time we are scheduled to. For example, we are scheduled an hour after close and the managers have us stay for 4-7 hours more and expect some of us to open the next day. A lot of us employees have a life and are tired of staying later than we are scheduled to. A lot of us go to school and have a family to be with. For example, we're scheduled from 3pm-11pm but we won't get out until 3am-4am. The L.O.D. named ** makes us stay 5-6 hours after close and never helps us. He just walks around and complains. It must be nice to have his position and do nothing. The JC Penney store I'm complaining about is located in Coronado mall in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2012

I visited the JC Penney at NewPark Mall and was given 2 buttons. I arrived home and went online to enter the codes and they had already been entered. It's very disappointing. A nice concept, bad service.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2012

I had ordered a Christmas present (coat) for my son on December 11, 2012. I happened to go online today to track it, only to find out that the order had been canceled (factory ship supplier cancel) without anyone telling me. Now it is a week before Christmas and I have to figure out what I'm going to do. I wonder when Penney's was going to notify me about this! It is horrible! I called Customer service and they offered me 15% off my next order, but there won't be one!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2012

I will never shop at this department store again. The corporation itself has abysmal customer service! I placed an order on the 25th of November, got an email indicating shipping on the 9th of December. And when I still didn't receive any updates on shipping information, I called in to check, only to be told that they had cancelled my order and refunded me my money back because the warehouse had a shortage. Uh, where was my notification email? Are you seriously going to be providing such horrible service this close to Christmas? Now I have to scramble to find an alternative present because JCP was unprofessional and didn't think it was important to let their customers know about changes to their orders.

I called the main office and they were unprofessional as well. One actually hung up on me and the other offered me a measly 15% off as compensation. No, I don't want your 15% off. I wanted and expected good customer service, but I guess that's too much to expect from JCP. I will no longer shop here and will tell everybody I know this story so that they will avoid this corporation as well. You messed up, JCP. Bad customer service doesn't fly here in America.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2012

I placed an order on 11/22/2012 of items that were listed in stock. I paid with my debit card. I got a confirmation email stating that I would receive my order in 4-7 business days. I called to follow up with them on 12/03/2012, seven business days later, in reference to my order. The customer service rep stated that my order shipped that day. Okay, on December 06, 2012, I get an email stating my order just shipped. So that proves the customer service rep lied, plus my bank card got charged on December 10, 2012 for an order that was placed 18 days ago! Wow, now my account is overdrawn and I am beyond mad! I will never ever ever buy from this company again. They suck and their representatives seem to have "I don't care" attitudes.

I called a representative on 12/14/2012 about the late charge. She stated that they don't charge the card until the merchandise ship. Okay, If I order on 11/22/2012 and you send documentation that my order will arrive in 4-7 business days, even if they shipped my package on the 7th business day, that would've been December 03, 2012. They still are out of compliance by charging on December 10th. I'm disgusted! Beware!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2012

I ordered a dresser, which they said was in stock. It was not in stock. I found out after I notified them, wondering about a delivery date. I spent countless times on hold, only to find the dresser was not in stock and it would be a significant wait. When the dresser was finally ready to be delivered, JC Penny contacted me and said the back of the dresser was smashed and they would not be sending it. I said I did not want any product from JCP. They said they would cancel it. I spoke with the customer service staff. In the three days after this phone call, I had two phone calls to me from the shipping company attempting to set up the time and then a call from JCP saying they had reordered the dresser. I am presently on the phone as I write this review - waiting for some type of organization from them since my credit card still has not been credited. I will never order from them.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2012

You have completely changed the way you do business, both in store, catalogs, and mailings. I do not like your new "catalogs" with teenie-boppers shown in your clothing. I no longer want to order from your catalog. There are not complete catalogs even in the store to look at and compare. It is all online with no way to see all the choices in a couple of pages. I tried to call Customer Service to ask for my mailings to stop and was on hold for 11 minutes while they repeated that my call was important to them so I hung up and went to the JCP website, where I discovered there was no way listed besides phone to contact JCP. There should be email and snail mail options on both the website, and in the "catalog" advertisements sent to my home of how to contact you. So, I am no longer interested in your store, in person, or by internet or mail order. Stop mailing me expensive junk mail!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2012

I purchased a leather McArthur recliner on 04/07/10 and purchased a 5-year warranty and GreenGuard. The chair was not used much but showing dye wear on back. I contacted United North American store, and they would not come out. They said it was my fault without even looking at the product. Product sucks, and your extended warranty really sucks. It is a ripoff. Glad to spread the word about it!

JCPenney Company Information