Howard's Appliance & Big Screen Superstores

Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I purchased the extended warranty from Howard's Irvine in Aug 2014 after purchasing a Samsung refrigerator, and a washer and dryer. In Sept 2016 I needed help with my ice maker that was frozen shut and would not produce ice and left puddles of water in my refrigerator. Here are the highlights from my request for repair.

I called Samsung and they tried to help for about 45 min but told me I needed to call Howard's where I bought the refrigerator. Howard's did not pay the warranty company the money I paid them so there was a 4-day delay to get them paid. It took a week to get someone out to fix my ice maker. Look at the truck below (had major damage). Did not have part. Did not have silicone and asked to borrow mine (cut mine up and left on counter). Damaged front door jam when lock was out and he slammed door. Made joke about my cat. Asked me to leave door open, I told him cats would get out and my wife would leave me if they were lost. He told me sounds like we have bigger issues than the ice maker needing repair.

He yanked and yanked on my ice maker to pull it out but would not budge, told me I needed to defrost the refrigerator for 4 hours. I asked him to leave my home and he told me I needed to sign the paperwork to show he arrive and could get paid. I reported him to Howard's and the warranty company and they needed another 2 days to secure a new person. Neither company gives a crap if you are serviced or not once they get their money. It will be 9-days on Thursday when they arrive and not convinced it will be fixed properly and I can guaranty that they will not bring the right part for repair.

I purchased a stove from Howard's in Huntington Beach. They told me a delivery date which was six weeks away. When the date came I called because I have not heard nothing from them only to be told it's going to be another two weeks trying to make arrangements to get a stove in. The manager Alex was supposed to call me back before he went home. Never did. I have read the reviews and will now ask for a refund and I will not wait any longer. It's obviously do not care about their customers from the reviews so I'm going to save myself the trouble and cancel the order. I guess this is a sign from the man above. Do not buy from Howard's. They don't care about their customers for their product.

I purchased a washer and dryer from Howard's (San Gabriel: 300 E. Valley Blvd.) in March of 2014. When they delivered the items, they did a bait and switch: the items weren't what I had purchased. The washer and dryer weren't a matching set. When reaching out to Howard's, they didn't help us at all and instead said that we had purchased the non-matching set on purpose. Since then, the washer started giving us problems. Our clothes don't come out smelling clean. We had purchased a 2 year residential service contract but when asking them to check the issue, they said that we would have to pay a service fee if they couldn't find anything wrong with the appliance. In addition, they never sent us a copy of the service contract. Howard's needs to honor their residential service contract without penalty to the buyer.

I bought a refrigerator from Howard's with warranty and the promise that it covers everything. My freezer starting having issues where it would defrost to the point the meat would get soft. It happens only during the hot days and a puddle of water would be in front of the fridge. This is not normal. I called the warranty company called expert protection and was told that if at the moment the fridge was fine I would have to pay for the service call. Well this happens on and off over time. I got a few days before my warranty expires and that was the option I was given. Horrible. My mother has always bought from Sears and never had issues. I should of listened. I will never buy from Howard's again. They don't honor there warranty the way it was explained that there is no out of pocket cost.

I purchased five appliances from Howard's in Laguna. They have been in my home for 11 days when I had to call the store. My washer was spinning but it was not working and there was a burning smell. So I cancelled it. Brand New 90 days, Howard's 7 days and the washer is broken. I was told by my salesman ** that I had to call a number to get service. You have got to be kidding me. This is a brand new washer and you won't take it back and give me a new one. Shocked poor service. If anyone is reading this please do not buy from Howard's. They do not stand up to the products they sell - they throw you to the Manufacturer. They take your money. They are real slick. I hope you read this before buying. I wish I did my homework first.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Howard's Appliance & Big Screen Superstores?

We bought GE microwave at Irvine CA Howard appliance store. When we asked the return policy, the sales lady, 7 days return policy if the item defective. When we open and test the unit at home, some thing were burning and noisy. I called the store and she said, "You can bring it at store. Exchange with something else because we don't have this item in stock." I asked her, "I wants to return because it is defective." She said, "You can only change, not return." I took the unit at long beach store. The guy test and found the unit is defective. He gave me credit. The service at both stores were very poor. No one ask us to have a seat or any greeting. I would like to give the zero star to this store and will not recommend to anyone.

I should have read the reviews before buying. My order was slow to arrive. It was incomplete. After several phone calls & no response I finally got the missing item. The store manager delivered it himself at about 7:30 pm. I started to install the item the next day and found it to be the wrong item. I called and the manager was not there. I spoke to the assistant manager & he knew nothing but promised to get back to me. After a week I called back. The store manager had transferred and the person to whom I spoke was at a trade meeting. I spoke to the new manager & she knew nothing of my problem. I guess service ethic and common courtesy to respond is a thing of the past. Beware before dealing with this company.

I'm giving Howard's one star because zero stars is not an option. Back in May we went in to Howard's to purchase a Sony television that was advertised in their Memorial Day ad. Although the television was featured in their ad, it was not in stock. We were told that it would be in within a week, and we paid for it in full. Over the next three weeks we received no updates from Howard's, and we had to call them repeatedly for the current status. Finally, four weeks later, the television was delivered.

Three days after we connected the television it stopped working. We initially thought it was our cable provider, since this was a brand new Sony television, but after a service call, it was determined to be the television. The next day we took it back to Howard's. They confirmed that the control panel needed to be replaced. That was three weeks ago. To date, our television has not been repaired, and Howard's refuses to either refund our money or provide us with a new television.

So to review, we purchased a television in late May, it was not delivered until early July, and it worked for exactly three days before breaking completely. The television has been sitting in Howard's HB store for three weeks, and absolutely nothing has been done to fix or replace the television. The store manager appears powerless or unwilling to remedy the situation. It's easy to get five stars when things go well. When things don't go well is the true test of customer service. We need assistance in receiving a refund or a television set that works.

I purchased a fridge from Howard's. They failed to deliver it. I cancelled the sale. They refused to give me a credit. I have a $2,000 charge on my credit card and no fridge.

Howard's does not make it clear that there is a charge to install. I purchased a dishwasher online, paid for delivery, clicked on install and no amount was disclosed. It says $0.00. At delivery, my son-in-law called to tell me I had to have money for the installation which was $216! The dishwasher was $199. Later, when my kids tried to exchange the unopened dishwasher for another color, they were told there would be a re-stocking fee!

I purchased a "brand new" refrigerator a a week and a half ago, my wife was very excited about her new LG stainless side by side. Two days past, waiting for the cold air to come on - never did. I called the store and spoke with the store manager. I asked him if I had to pay extra for cold air! I was referred to LG. LG took all my information down and was given a phone number to a local appliance tech in my area as their Tech won't be available for a few days. I called the local appliance tech called Grace Appliance, left a voicemail. Never called me back, that's another long story.

I called Howard's back and now I'm told they're sending me a "new" replacement. The truck delivery arrived the following day, impressive huh! Guess what, the fridge looked used or refurbished, missing decal or logo with the adhesive tape that used to hold the logo still stuck to the fridge. OMGosh!!!!!

I called Howard's to let them know what happened. Store manager was apologetic, yaddiyaddiyadda..... He told me to come in to the store and pick one from one of the floor models and he'll give me an extra 20percent discount. At this time I thought i was gonna lose it and come totally unglue. Again this is another long story!

Meanwhile I've wasted about $400 dollars with of food besides eating out everyday for almost 2 weeks now.

Long story short..... I'll never again buy from Howard's!!!!!!!

I have three "new" appliances: Refrigerator, Stove & Washer. My refrigerator is okay but my stove and washer are continuously giving me problems. I'm so upset because my last washer from Howard's gave me problems. But I thought if I got a new one, the problems would go away! Wrong! What are my options? Also Howard's sold me an labor warranty for the same period that the manufacturer gives me for free. Is this legal? Is Howard's selling second hand goods at quality product prices?

We purchased 3 brand new stainless steel appliances from Howard's Appliance and TV. We bought a GE Profile Microwave, GE Profile gas convection double oven with 5 gas burners, and GE Profile side by side refrigerator with bottom pull out freezer drawer for a total cost around $5,000. Within 6 weeks of purchase on January 2009, the microwave had to be replaced due to faulty electrical. Within 6 months after that, the same problem occurred. The technician replaced the part and didn't document the correct work that was done. Therefore, because he wasn't documenting the right problem, the next future problem in May 2010 wasn't covered because it was past the 12 month period.

Secondly, the knobs on the gas stove are so cheap that they are coated with silver plastic. After using the oven and opening and closing, the heat has melted the knobs and the paint is peeling. GE told me that I could pay $30 to replace each knob. I have 5 knobs. I declined. Third problem we encountered with our upgrade GE Profile appliances is that the ice dispenser flap opens and closes with a very loud noise. There is no way to stop it unless I pull out the fridge and unplug the ice/water line. GE said it's not covered because I have had this for 18 months. In May 2010, I also have bamboo floors and don't want to accidentally scratch them. GE waived the $100 service call fee for them to come out to tell me that I have a problem after I talked to 4 different people.

While the appliance technician was at my house, he told me that the other technician didn't document a problem with the microwave, and that's why it wasn't covered. He also said that the technician was fired from the company. So, the cost to fix my broken dispenser was quoted at $330. The technician said that he sees it a lot with moisture build up in the dispenser area. I asked him how to avoid the problem. He said that there is nothing I can do. It's a builder defect.

GE Customer Service was rude, horrible, and very unprofessional. I had my builder basic white appliances for 12 years and it has no problems. I can't believe GE would offer such a horrible product and not stand behind their name. We had a very bad experience and will not purchase another GE product or recommend anyone to their products. I also own my own company and lose too much money an hour waiting for their service technicians to show up and give me a 4 hour window to be available for them to tell me that I have a defective GE product.

I purchased a stove from them back in 2005. I bought the 5 year warranty along with it. I paid almost $3000 for it. I started to notice that there was oil in the glass door of the oven and the bottom of the oven was starting to peel and become corroded. I called them to have them send a tech. As I explained what was going on ,the customer service rep said that the oil in the glass is "normal" and possibly even on the inside of the oven, They sent out a tech out within the next couple of days.

At that point, I was told that they could not do anything about it, that it was cosmetic and their policy does not cover that. He then left. I called again. I asked for them to send another tech but I was told the same thing. I was then called and they told me to replace the bottom of the oven. It would cost me $55. I paid close to $3000 for them to tell it's normal and to fix it. I have to pay extra. It seems very unfair to me as a consumer. When I bought the stove and the warranty, they never told me anything about cosmetic issues not being covered. They need to be more upfront and honest with their customers.

Howard's Appliance & Big Screen Superstores Company Profile