Hallmark Cards

Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Placed my order for Thanksgiving Day cards for my clients with Hallmark Business Connection on 10-3-16. In their confirmation email they said that I would have my order by 10-13-16. I have now contacted Hallmark twice in the last week to find out where my order is and when it will ship. Their customer service had no idea when it would ship nor could they explain why the order had not shipped yet. All they could say is it will ship "sometime in the future". When I reminded them that the cards have a seasonal deadline to them and that I had to turn around and mail them to my clients they still didn't "get it" and referred back to their "sometime in the future" response and now that there was no guarantee of them ever shipping(?).

I asked to speak to a manager. When Amanda called me back she repeated the same lines back to me as if she were reading off a script. I just don't get it... How can a "major" brand name corporation have a computer crash, production facility issue go on for 3 weeks with no update to a customer who placed an order far in advance and can give no concrete answers to simple questions. I was embarrassed for the customer service people and manager who have to come to work daily and repeat these lines. The scary part was that these Hallmark employees seemed totally OK with the situation and seemed excited with their recommendation to cancel my order. What is going on over at Hallmark? I have been a loyal customer in the past but will have to look elsewhere going forward...

I shop a lot online and there's one thing that I absolutely hate, and that's a deceptive website. If you charge for a product, that information should be obvious on your site. I was looking for a card on the Hallmark site and found no information on charges. I assumed that once I chose a free card to send they would ask if I wanted a subscription. That would make sense - they have to make money. However, I went through the whole process, customizing a card, only to get a 'oops, you have to pay for this'. Are you serious? Are people that lazy that the only way you can get paid is to ensure they waste their time customizing a card, and feel forced to follow through? Why isn't there a price on that card when I'm browsing? Why isn't there an explanation of your pricing policy on the index page of your website?

There is nothing in the main navigation showing a page with pricing info. They won't even give you pricing until you subscribe as a member giving them all your contact information!!! I might expect this from a shady, small company, but Hallmark?!! Not even in the fine print can you find out what their pricing is. Incredible. Go to their FAQ page and you'll see tons of topics including the 'benefits of a membership' but even there, there's no info on pricing. How about adding to your fine print page 'How much does a card cost'. That's your product which you sell online and you don't have prices posted. It boggles my mind, but apparently lazy people will continue to pay for your cards because of your tricks. On principle alone I will never waste time on the Hallmark site again and I will go out of my way to continue to spread the word about their dirty practice of tricking people into signing up for accounts with them.

I purchased a 2 year e-card subscription in May of 2015 which was set to expire in May of 2017. I tried to send an e-card in June of 2016 and couldn't because the system said "Your account expired in May, 2017!" I re-entered all of the card info, the addresses, etc and kept getting the same statement. Because I had to get the card delivered electronically that day, I was left with no choice but to order a one month subscription at almost 4 times the annual monthly fee. Then, in the past week I had to rush out another e-card and I got the same message! Same scenario, had to purchase another month even though the notice said my account expired in 2017.

I then started the e-mail parade with their "billing" department and they just hemmed and hawed but I believe they finally found the error? They offered to add two months on to the end of my subscription and I told them they could give me an additional year and I would add the necessary funds to pay for it. Not crediting my account for the higher monthly costs was ludicrous! They basically refused so I told them to credit me and cancel the subscription? They said okay, it was fine with them! However, I'll bet they won't credit me for the unused year I have left!! Poor customer service and very inept. I'm sure I'll find better sites and service out there.

I signed up for an eCard subscription. Big mistake. To start with, I was charged for 2 years, when I wanted only one year, then my credit card was double-charged. $60 to send one card so far. I tried emailing, calling and chatting. Got nowhere. No one at Hallmark responds to email. Calling the number they provide on the eCard website gets you nowhere because the eCard department is separate and has different hours than the Hallmark "regular" customer service. Chatting does no good because the chat reps aren't eCard reps, and can't assist you. To say they have bad customer service is an understatement.

I contacted Hallmark a year ago to cancel my acct as I don't use it and they keep billing my credit card. I was told they can't cancel once they've deducted from my acct. Never used the acct last year. This year comes around and they increased the charges and charged me again. Same story - can't cancel once deducted! This place is a sham. Bunch of crooks. Will never buy Hallmark again. Going to complain to my credit card company and cancel the card to stop the madness, it's ridiculous what some companies do to collect money whether they deserve it or not!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hallmark Cards?

Some I went in to talk to the owner about what my Manager did the cross so many lines. My manager went to my mother place of business and to her to tell me to fix something at work. I was so mad when I found out. So I start gathering evidence and when I went to them they basically said that I may have fabricated the story a bit and told me I have no credibility. I left that meeting. Feel so powerless and also feel like now my job was on the line. I know it's a labor board issue but I'm scared to contact them. I live in the small town. I'm scared if I take my manager to labor board no other businesses for hire me.

I have had an account for online shopping for 8 years. I have lived out of the country and this is the only way I can get birthday cards to my grandchildren. Their birthdays are in August. My children's birthdays are in August and September. I start logging on to shop for the cards in July. There's a cute little note that tells me "OOPS! It's our fault, not yours. Try again in a few minutes." I try again in a few minutes to no avail. I try again every day. I am still trying. I can't even get an email out. This has caused me to miss sending cards to all my grandchildren and my children. Hallmark is a huge company. Get it together!

I really don't care if you make this public or not. However, since you have no "real" complaint site here goes. When are you going to pay your employees the way they need to be paid? When are you going to offer benefits to those who work "part-time". Quotations, because your "part-time" is actually full time. I will not support this company any longer for that very reason. No medical benefits. Poor pay. Yet, you require them to travel on the road to stock you sections. The road is the most dangerous place to be these days and you can't offer health insurance? Really? Done!

I sent three emails to Hallmark to say I believe I have duplicate accounts and need help. All I've gotten are auto-generated responses sending me to the community board so I could trawl through various subjects to see if any other user had the same problem and I could figure it out. The obnoxious part is that this auto-email says that if I can't solve the problem that way that I may resubmit the original email to them AFTER SEVEN DAYS!!! The customer service is absolutely non-existent at Hallmark online.

I ordered something on Friday, May 8th to be delivered overnight. I paid $15 for overnight delivery. It arrived to recipient on May 13th. When I called Hallmark to tell them I wanted my overnight shipping charge refunded, I was told that May 13th qualifies as their definition of overnight delivery for orders on May 8th. Here's why: First, they don't deliver on weekends, which I should have known. Second, the day you order doesn't count as a day. Third, overnight means one day to process the order (remember, excluding the day you order), and then two days to ship. So, overnight to Hallmark means a minimum of three days + the day you order = 4 days later the recipient gets the product even though you pay for overnight. This company is ripping people off and deliberately misleading them with terms like "overnight", which means one thing to us and something very different to Hallmark.

The customer service agent insisted that I go to Hallmark.com to read the policy, but when I told her that I have the invoice in front of me and it very clearly says overnight, shipped on May 11 (so should have been there May 12th, then), she said that the next day from shipped is not what is meant by overnight. This is even though she said numerous times during the conversation that overnight includes the day it was shipped and then delivered the next day. My notification says it was shipped on May 11, and still did not arrive until May 13th. When I brought this point up to her, I was told that there was nothing she could do and I would not get a refund because overnight delivery from Friday May 8th means 6 days later, according to Hallmark's policy.They are thieves.

I went into the Hallmark store to purchase a wedding card and saw a card for same-sex marriage. I thought this was a Christian store and was very upset to see such nonsense being sold.

My mother-in-law went in the store to return a broken bracelet, and while shopping around, didn't get anything. When she left, a lady came outside and proceeded to write down her tag. She asked the lady if there was a problem, the lady said yes, you stole a candy cane. My mother-in-law went into the store to confront the woman when the lady started saying you didn't put it back in the proper spot, and that she is going to call the police. My mother-in-law said "go ahead, I just have been violated." The lady was nasty and ignorant, still yelling at her. My mother-in-law left, called me the day after, which is today.

I called up over there, the woman told me to ** off and call the police department, so I did. No complaint was even called in. The police department told me to call and speak to the owner or manager. So I called her again, I told her there is no report and I want to speak to the owner or management. She said, "oh well" and hung up on me yet again. So, my mother-in-law called while I was on 3-way, a man answered stating he was the owner and she told him she was offended, he said "well, that's the way it goes" and hung up on her.

Being insulted and treated like a criminal. She had shopped there for 8 years and gets that in return. She suffers from anxiety already and was shaking all day long. Is this appropriate behavior to a consumer?

I have visited the car shop and I have a difficult time getting through the aisles. I'm in a wheelchair and it is difficult to get through the aisles, but the last time I went, there was so much merchandise in the way, I had to leave without being able to purchase anything. I told the cashier that the store was not handicapped friendly, and she just laughed. Thank you, Sandra **.

I have a major complaint about the owner of your authorized dealer (Stacey's Hallmark at 205 Broadway Mall, Hicksville, NY, 11801) named **. On 12/15/06, my daughter went to her store to buy the snow baby nativity set for me for Christmas. The kid was so excited to find it at her store because they were very hard to find. So she went ahead and bought it two days before Christmas. She gave me the gift because she couldn't wait.

When I opened it and put it up, we found that a piece (which is the star for barn) was missing. I immediately packed it back up and took it back to them. I was told by her store manager that I should first call you to try to see if you could get me the star, which I did. Then, I checked all over trying to find the replacement piece but no one would help so I decided to just return the product as per your companies request last night.

On 1/3/07, I went back to the store and the store owner told me that she would not return the money. She said that this product is a Christmas item and they don't return money. I told her that this is a collectible item and without the full set, it is worth nothing. I also told her that she is ripping off the consumer, which is my daughter. She sold her the product knowing that the piece was missing and that she would not refund the money.

I would like her privileges to sell the snow baby products revoked because she obviously has no respect for the product or the consumer who collects this product. Also, if there is any way you could maybe help me resolve the issue of the missing star, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for all your help.

I purchased four books as gifts for my aunts on 12/28/06. My daughter was out shopping at another Hallmark and purchased the same books. I joked with my daughter, "Great minds think alike," and thought I would have no problem returning my purchase. When I returned to Amy's Hallmark the next day, I was told that all purchases were final as the books I purchased were 40% off. The manager said, "It's on the bottom of your receipt." Another worker said, "Signs are posted and there is nothing we can do. This is Hallmark's policy."

I looked throughout the store and did not see one sign stating Hallmark's policy. I asked where the signs were. She then stated they were telling the customers about the return policy. No one mentioned a word to me about the policy when I made my $109.80 total purchase. They told me to call 1-800 Hallmark if I had a problem, but that was the policy and there is nothing they would do.

I then passed out the four extra books I had to other ladies in the store as I had no use for them and I thought someone may as well benefit from my loss. I know there are a lot bigger problems out there and I appreciate the opportunity to vent. I just feel that as a consumer, I should have had the opportunity to know about the "no refund" policy before I made the purchase, not when I returned the products. I don't understand putting the policy on the receipt as the purchase has already taken place. I really do not think Hallmark cares as I am just one consumer out of their millions, but they have lost me as a consumer for a mere $31.08. Thank you for your time.

I purchased two Christmas ornaments for my granddaughters on October 20th. Then when I got home, I decided that I should have purchased the more expensive ones. On October 25th, I went back to the Hallmark Store in McMinnville, Oregon to make an exchange and was advised that Hallmark policy is no return or exchange on Christmas ornaments and that this is stated on the receipt of purchase. I had never heard of this nor seen a sign to state this in the store and was not advised of this policy by the clerk when I made my purchase. I am not in the habit of looking at my receipts after purchase for such information. This is wrong. I emailed Hallmark and was advised that they were sorry, but that is their policy.

I received e-cards for my birthday. I decided it was my inept operation of the computer when I was not able to access the last cards I received--all from hallmark.com. The last card, tonight, I ran on the retrieval three times and was refused access on the erroneous statement that I was submitting invalid information. I was completely accurate. Do I have any rights? The person who received the card may or may not have an account with them, but they advertise free e-cards. Isn't it at least unethical to advertise such and not deliver?

I joined Hallmark's "Maxine Official Club" on December 31, 2003 and was supposed to receive a windbreaker as part of the membership, which I did not. I telephoned Hallmark and was told a supervisor would return my call in 24-48 hours. No one ever contacted me. I emailed Hallmark and got no response. I emailed Hallmark again on February 16, 2004 and am waiting for a response. I feel Hallmark is not standing behind its obligations and has misled itself. I did not get what I was told I was paying for.

I attempted to purchase two greeting cards for $7.01 with a check at this local Hallmark. I have a current ID in Antioch, CA but my checks still had a San Francisco address (approximately 1 hour drive). I wrote in my new address, provided a local telephone number and was still refused a sale.

In this day and age of check-verification and ID, I think this type of service is ridiculous, especially for two measly greeting cards. I have written my exact checks at numerous businesses all over California and have never been refused a sale because the addresses did not match. I merely explained I had moved and was using the rest of my old checkbook and have always offered to provide current information for contacting. I would merely like this complaint posted for Hallmark and their disappointing service.

On the evening of 6/18/03, I bought a silver, blue clock from Rosy's Hallmark. The clock has two of the same sentences on the edge of the clock saying, "A New Beginning". I was by myself at the time. On our way home, I showed my boyfriend the clock and he said that the clock is not worth the price. So that's why I went back to the store 20 minutes later to return the product and get my refund back. The cashier refused the refund and said that the clock is a seasonal item and therefore the sale was final. She also pointed out that the receipt that I signed says that all collectible, seasonal items are final. But then I am thinking how am I suppose to know that this item is a seasonal item? The clock itself doesn't state so and during the time that I purchased the product, the cashier failed to tell me the item is a seasonal item and that it is final sale.

At the time, the manager wasn't there. The cashier told me that she'll be at the store from 2-8PM the next day. Today, I called the store twice and the manager wasn't there. Can anyone help me? I am stuck with a clock that I don't want, I can't get my money back and I felt cheated because at the time that I purchased the product, the cashier failed to inform that the product that I bought was seasonal item and that it is a final sale.

My three children went to the store to purchase me a Mother's Day card with their allowances. They picked out the card that they thought I would like the most, not realizing what that particular card would cost. (They are 10, 9, and 5 years old). Later that day while having dinner, my children said, "Mommy, do all cards cost $5.99? We spent most of the money that we had in our pocket." I turned the card over that they had given me earlier and couldn't believe that it was $5.99! I feel as though my kids were taken advantage of because they did not know what the appropriate amount to spend on a greeting card is due to their ages. I realize that Hallmark has cards available that are $1.00 to $3.00 also, but they didn't know this. I also believe that Hallmark Cards should realize that there are children out there spending ridiculous amounts of money on cards for "mom", or whoever is important to them, because they don't have the life experience yet which will teach them the value of a hard earned dollar!

I was a full-time employee at Lynn's Hallmark. My job at the end of the night was to count cash and make sure the deposit for the bank was set up for the morning person to take in the morning. Well, apparently I had made a mistake in the deposit and was not told what it was. I was written up by someone who did not have authority to do so, and I did not get to read it. I am very upset because I did not know what my mistake was for being fired. My boss let me come into work, sign in, and then told me I was fired. I feel very hurt and this was not fair. I lost $800 for not working for four weeks, and also I have to work two jobs now to make income!

Hallmark Cards Company Profile