2. Shopping
  3. Retail Stores

3.8/5 (360 ratings)

About Family Dollar

Family Dollar Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Family Dollar?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Family Dollar?

Original review: July 18, 2021

When I go to the Family Dollar in on 105 superior they never have their freezer stocked or their shelf stock and what the and the workers are lazy and the be smoke in front of the doors when you go in at

Original review: May 4, 2021

At 8:45pm my son and I arrived at Family Dollar in Zanesville Ohio store # 2933. So after fishing all day and needing a few items we stopped to grab them before the store closed. My son lost his phone in the car so we were looking for it for like 9 minutes or so before we headed inside. Started to walk in at 8:54 pm, and as soon as we got inside the doors a man says "you got 2 minutes" without even greeting us. Well I said it isn't 9:00pm yet, and he said "I don't care. We lock the door at 8:57pm" and I said, "Ok that's fine. We won't be long." So my son and I went to the medication aisle and found what we needed. So we head back towards the register and I said to the man, "See. I told you we wouldnt be long," by this time it's 8:56pm.

I asked him if he would tell me his name because I didn't like how he was talking to me and I wanted to escalate the situation to management. He then tells me "no I'm not telling my name" and I said why, and he said "because I don't like you" while pointing in my direction. Very hostile and angry with me for no reason. So I asked him, "Are you racist?" Because my son and I are colored people and it felt like he was being racist towards me. I said, "Well I'd like to your name so that I can speak to your manager please." He proceeds to keep telling me no, while his badge is not on him anywhere. As we head to the door he is following my son and I aggressively and I noticed another employee there, a female. And I said to said her, "What is his deal, can you tell me his name please?" And she said, "Well he is right. We are required to lock the door at 8:57pm," and I said I understand but it's not 9:00pm yet and I'm already done.

As I am asking her nicely for the manager's information she tells me his name is ** and he'll be in tomorrow at 8am, and I said what good is that going to do me if I don't know his name? She says, "His name is Andy, alright," and I said ok. I unlocked the door myself because she had locked it at 8:57pm. I grabbed my receipt and the time on it said 8:57 and 46 seconds exactly. I was out of there before they closed. As I'm walking out this man screams at me and says "get out of our store"??? Is that acceptable behavior from someone in a customer service role? I understand it was close to closing time and that's why we ran in and out quickly. I am beyond upset and dissatisfied with Family Dollar.

It is impossible to speak to a live person to voice my complaint. The manager at 8:00am tells me there is nothing that can be done but to write him up and retrain him. That is not going to work for me. He needs to be fired from Family Dollar and he does not need to work in customer service anymore. There is nothing that this store can do to right this wrong. I have already contacted an attorney and this will be a civil lawsuit.

Get buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 3, 2021

I slipped and fell at the Family Dollar store and fractured my foot, I was first approached by family dollar with a $1,000 offer but said wait until I get my x-rays back due to the excruciating pain I was experiencing, found that I fractured my foot a toe along with having deep gashes in my foot and knee, once they figured out my injuries were more severe they transferred my case to their insurance provider who has now for 9 months promised a settlement but yet have, I opted to not do a lawyer because my reporting was not to make bank off of this slip and fall but to be comped for my medical and pain and suffering.

I have been patient but now I am growing tired and ready to be more vocal to cause a needed reaction. I am planning to go to media if needed to shed light on how major companies choose to take advantage of good hearted people such as myself that was not looking to con this major company! But I am a religious shopper at both family dollar and dollar tree. Been working with the following insurance Sherri **, Claims Adjuster II, AmTrust Financial Services, Inc. O: **, P.O. Box 89453, Cleveland, OH 44101.

Original review: March 2, 2021

Purchased a pack of Boost on 3/23/21. When I took the first drink it tasted weird. I check the expiration date and sure enough it was expired. Expiration was from 2019. So they are not checking items.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

Not a good place to shop at if you are of color, the workers follow you around the store looking at you like you're going to take stuff without paying for it. When they see you coming they talk bad about you, very racist owners. And no mask wearing due to covid, they let anyone shop in their store without any mask on, very high risk place for covid.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2020

I made a purchased at Family Dollar #11572 and was due change of $.78 (seventy-eight cents). The Cashier did not give me my change (coins), and did not explain why until I told her she did not give me my change back. The cashier stated, and I quote exact, "we do not give change back". What kind of craziness is this! This is pure robbery; the legal way I suppose.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

I am a faithful customer to the Family Dollar store chains. There are a few in San Diego and I live close to the one on university. I have met some great employees and managers with outstanding customer service, however, there is a particular employee/manager by the name of Carol who time and time again I have seen her speak vulgarly and turns small incidents into outrageous scenes. I have seen her chase people out of the store and try to fight them in the street, I have seen her get physical with peoples property and I have seen her break under pressure. I understand there could be high stress levels working in low income communities. Yet, every customer should be treated with dignity and respect.

After yesterdays incident in which I had my child with me I am now going to advocate to have her removed from this store. I shop there almost everyday and whenever carol is working there is a thickness of a doomsday atmosphere in the store. I cannot tolerate someone who has no regards for other peoples children in a corporate store. My child should have not witnessed such a traumatic scene yesterday 9/18/2020 between 930-am and 945 am. She responded very disgusting to a family of 3 women and there are many other incidents she has handled completely unprofessional.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

I just shopped at Family Dollar on Nova Road in Ormond Beach. I drive up, two customers walk in without a mask so I sit in my car to wait and see what happens. Nothing! We are in a hot spot, cases are out the window. I see the cashier standing on the side of the door smoking a cigarette, okay taking her break...but she says nothing to them. I literally have no other store to go to because my Dollar General is being renovated. Finally a couple more people walk up WITH face masks so I feel a little more comfortable. I get the few items I need and go to the checkout line. Now mind you there are signs ALL over the place saying face masks required and please social distance, even on the FRONT DOOR.

When I get to the cashier I see she's not wearing a mask. I have had Covid, still suffer from long term symptoms and I know how serious this is. So I ask her, (**) "Are the employees required to wear a mask?" She says "Nope and if anyone comes in without one I don't have to say anything to them"...What??? Then she says "I have a medical condition, so I can't wear one," WOW, and she was out smoking and looked in great shape. Now I have a medical condition, other than Covid, and I still wear a mask out of respect! I WILL NEVER SHOP AT A FAMILY DOLLAR AGAIN!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2020

So this review is for the Family Dollar in Waukegan at Park City IL. I went to this store to pick up some hair care products for my son. I was planning on putting braids in his hair. So I asked the cashier what products would she recommend in order to braid 4c hair. She bluntly told me that she didn't have nappy hair and that her hair was quote "good hair". She told me that she was biracial and didn't have that problem. I didn't ask her for her opinion on 4c natural hair only if she could recommend anything for my son.She embarrassed me and made me feel worthless. I always go to this family dollar for hair care products and always had good service. This made me second guess going back. I wonder does family dollar support anti-**? Are the cashiers supposed to be this rude to ** paying customers and get away with it?

Original review: July 23, 2020

Family Dollar LPGA-No Mask Complaint. Two days ago on 7/21/2020, I stopped at the Family Dollar on LPGA in Holly Hill, FL. As I drove up, I saw a customer coming out with a cart and a mask on his face. So, I thought it would be safe to go in. I walk in the door and a cashier/staff greets me with no mask on her face. Two months ago, a month ago, I saw this no mask on Family Dollar staff before. Today, with almost 6,000 people dead in Florida, I thought there would be masks on staff.

The female Family Dollar staff said welcome to her store, I picked up a small hand basket and took two steps into store. I looked around and no one was in the store but me. I looked at the cash register area and there was just a clear piece of plastic between me and this probably virus infected Family Dollar worker. God told me to turn my ** around and get out of there. This I did quickly. Why am I writing this complaint? Family Dollar on LPGA had continued to have their staff with no masks, last month, month before, two weeks ago and now two days ago. So, I blasting Family Dollar for being as stupid as Trump and infecting people with their stupid denial of the disease and their non-caring attitude for others. Possible Family Dollar customers, you have been warned!!

Family Dollar Company Information